Part 3 of 9

Chapter 9

-------------

"Rocky mountain way"

Joe Walsh

Xena and Gabrielle led the group on Argo's back as they made their way up the mountain road to Lycosura. The sun was high in the sky as they neared their destination. The view of the land of Arcadia was breathtaking from the vantage point upon the mountain, the sky a crystal clear blue, and the eye could see well past the land and all the way to Aegean sea. "This is so romantic." Gabrielle leaned into Xena and whispered into her ear. She was careful not to show too much affection in front of the others but couldn't resist this small betrayal. She was bursting from the beauty of the view and simply had to share it with Xena.

Xena squeezed the bard's hand that was wrapped around her waist in a sign of affirmation. Then as she crested an incline she caught her first glimpse of Lycosura. She pointed to show the bard. There were a large cluster of buildings at the core of the town with smaller groupings as your eye traveled away from its center. It was situated on a plateau near the top of the mountainous terrain. Further behind this, was another rock formation that rose higher into the sky, and on the peak of this stood the temple of Zeus. Here lay the infamous altar that had become the bane of their existence over the last week.

Xena pulled on Argo's reins to stop as Mensor rode up beside her. "There's a small camp with my men set up on the south side of the mountain. We've tried to remain discreet so as not to cause too much speculation amongst the villagers. With the festival of the Moon having just passed, it's not uncommon for the king to keep soldiers up here in case of any disturbances. But the villagers are not idiots. Most know why we're here." He sighed. "We can camp there tonight."

Lynchia rode up behind him. "Speak for yourself Mensor, I'm spending the night at the inn.....not on the ground like some barbarian." She smiled as she gazed over at Xena. She noticed with mild amusement that Xena's eyes had narrowed to slits. "You could join me if you'd like." She said, looking at the warrior.

"That's quite alright Lynchia, but I'm afraid you'll have to rough it as well. I'm leading this party and I want everyone in my sights....including you. Tonight we sleep under the stars." Xena smiled at the mystic.

Lynchia's jaw dropped slightly. She was about to say something but held her tongue. She was beginning to develop an exquisite love hate relationship with this woman, and it was exciting. She returned the smile, her eyes traveling to the bard, knowing this would unnerve the warrior and she was rewarded as Xena's smiled slipped almost imperceptibly.

"Would you like me to show you Xena?" Gallion rode over to the group breaking the spell of silence that had descended on the small party.

"Lead the way Gallion." Xena instructed and turned away from the mystic's stare. She would have to have a private talk with this woman very soon, pressure points came to mind, but that would be too kind.

Lynchia watched the warrior ride away, so tall and proud, gods she was magnificent. It was almost a shame she'd have to die. Almost.

*******

"Explain it to me again." Xena asked Hectar, the head commander of the band of men that had been guarding the altar nightly for the last few weeks now. They were standing along side Mensor, in the temple, staring at the stone altar that sat in the center of the enclosure. The roof did not reach the center, instead it was left uncovered, to allow the sky to be visible from the stone slab. There were two pillars at the front of the altar, each supporting a golden eagle. From the entrance you could see the edge of the thick wooded forest that wrapped around the temple in a protective and secluded embrace.

"Right, yes, well each night two of my men are posted at the entrance to the temple and two inside. I have two more patrolling the outer perimeter to ensure no one goes near the place after dark. There has been nothing for a few days now, ever since the Festival of the Moon. " Hectare explained to the woman warrior nervously. He knew things had not being going well up here and he was in fear of his ranking if another mishap were to occur under his command. Mensor was a fair man, but even fair men had their limits.

"And the blood Hectar." Mensor asked more for Xena's benefit than his own. He was already well aware of what was not going according to plan.

"Yes, of course." Hectar said quickly stepping up to the altar. "We've found faint traces of blood here." He pointed to the top of the stone nervously.

"Human blood?" Xena asked, under a furrowed brow.

"We think so." Replied Hectar.

"I'd like to speak to the men that were on watch the last night you found this." She said.

"I'd be one of those." Hectar spoke quietly.

"I see. And you saw nothing?" Xena asked staring intently into the man's eyes for a hint of deception. But she already knew in her heart she would find no trace of it there.

"Nothing." Hectar replied weakly.

"Well I guess it's my turn to see nothing." Xena stated crisply. "Mensor, it's you and I tonight. We'll take watch inside."

Chapter 10

---------------

"That old black magic has me in its spell

That old black magic that you weave so well

Icy fingers up and down my spine

The same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine"

That Old Black Magic, Frank Sinatra

"That's an interesting choice of jewelry you wear." Lynchia said to Gabrielle. They were seated across a fire that Gabrielle had built in the clearing they had chosen as the campsite. Lynchia was shifting uncomfortably on the log, her silk, royal blue robe would be ruined. Gods, how did people live like this?

"It was a gift." Gabrielle replied as she placed another log on the fire.

Lynchia smiled and looked at the woman intently from across the flames. "From Xena?"

Gabrielle wasn't sure how to answer that. She suddenly felt very exposed in front of Lynchia. There was something odd about the woman, but she couldn't help herself from staring into her eyes, that almost called to her. Gabrielle quickly looked away and pushed at the fire with a stick.

"That would be a yes?" Lynchia prodded.

Gabrielle groaned inwardly. By the gods. "Uh, sorry, yes, I was thinking..."

"Well it must be very special to you then." Lynchia purred coaxing Gabrielle back towards her and away from the flames.

"Yes it is." Gabrielle finally relented as she looked back at the woman. She had seen how she looked at Xena and wanted to send the message that Xena was hers without revealing how deep their relationship was. Why did this have to be so difficult? But as she looked at Lynchia she thought she saw a gentle understanding there. Perhaps she had misjudged her last night.

"She must mean everything to you." Lynchia said quietly. And more, she thought wryly.

Gabrielle found herself smiling at the warmth of the woman across the fire. She did understand after all. She was such a nice person. What had she been thinking not to trust her completely? How could she not see that in those soft, understanding, warm and incredibly gentle eyes? "Everything..." Gabrielle repeated.

"You love her deeply." Lynchia said looking into the soft green eyes of the young woman. Oh, this one was easy, so innocent, so ridiculously pure.

"Deeply.." Gabrielle repeated, as she stared intently at the woman across from her.

"What have you given her?" Lynchia asked, leaning closer to the flame.

"My heart." Gabrielle replied. All had melted away except for the beautiful understanding woman that sat before her.

"Have you given her a gift to show how much you love her, as she has for you?" Lynchia purred.

"No, I guess, I haven't." Gabrielle replied feeling suddenly shameful that she had not given her warrior something. Wait. "Flowers." She replied, "I gave her flowers."

"Flowers die." Lynchia sighed. As all things do she thought inwardly.

"Well, there is something I've wanted to get for her, but she doesn't really..." Gabrielle's voice trailed off, she thought she could hear music in the distance. She cocked her ear but there was nothing there.

"A dress." Lynchia said softly.

"Yes!" Gabrielle's eyes lit up." How did you know?"

"A wild guess." Lynchia said lightly. "How about you and I go into Lycosura and you can buy one for her."

"Oh that would be great!" Gabrielle spoke excitedly, then she sighed, "But we can't, Xena said to stay here and that means stay here."

"But how can you surprise her with her gift then?" Lynchia looked deeper into the green eyes of Gabrielle. By the gods, so damned obedient. Just let go little one, and follow me.

"Well, I can't go, I'm supposed to stay here and.." Gabrielle's voice trailed off as she looked deeper into the eyes of Lynchia once again. "Watch you..." She finished.

"Well you can watch me in Lycosura." Lynchia purred. Come to me Gabrielle, no harm done, no harm done, she chanted silently.

"I could watch you in Lycosura." The bard repeated. That was a great idea, no harm in shopping while she watched her. Oh, and how nice Lynchia was, she didn't even mind knowing Xena had wanted her to watch her carefully, she couldn't for the life of her imagine why, she was so sweet, so kind.

"Shall we then?" Lynchia asked, smiling at Gabrielle as she reached over and extended her hand.

Gabrielle reached over and clasped Lynchia's hand in hers. "Yes," Gabrielle spoke dreamily. "Wherever you want to take me, I'll follow."

"Now that's more like it Gabrielle." Lynchia smiled as she led her away from the fire and into the woods.

*******

"Where in Hades are they!!!!" Xena roared, glaring down at Gallion who appeared to have shrunk at least half a foot from the warrior's voice alone. Gods, he wished he was taller.

"Shopping." Gallion gulped, his voice barely a whisper.

"What!?" Xena cried.

"Shopping, purchasing, bargaining...spending dinars.." He explained nervously.

Xena clenched her fists tightly trying to control the rage that was building in her. "I know what shopping is Gallion," She spoke evenly. "But Gabrielle had strict orders to stay put and she would never go willingly. She must have..." Xena's voice trailed of as if she was suddenly working over something in her mind.

"Well, she seemed excited enough when she left..." Gallion spoke weakly.

Xena was no longer listening. "Which way did they go?" She asked.

Gallion pointed nervously towards the woods.

"If anything happens I swear.." Xena cursed under her breath as she ran past him and headed for Argo.

"It's just shopping.." Gallion replied quietly more to himself than anyone. Maybe they were on a budget, who knew? He watched with mild puzzlement as the warrior raced into the woods as if the harpies themselves were after her.

*******

"I've been waiting..." He purred quietly from above them.

"I know." Lynchia replied softly, looking up at him, perched on a low branch of the large oak tree they stood under.

"I've been lonely....you haven't come around..." He whispered.

"The Moon Festival makes it difficult..." She explained.

"You know how I don't like to be kept waiting..." He said.

"I know, but I will make it up to you." She said quietly, looking over at Gabrielle who was standing, almost trance like, staring out into nothingness.

"You have brought me a present?" He asked, a playful excitement in his voice.

"Yes." Lynchia replied.

"This?" He asked, pointing down at the petite blond that stood quietly.

"Yes, and no." Lynchia spoke cryptically. "She is only part of the gift."

"Don't play games with me....you don't want to get me angry now do you?" He smiled.

"No, never." She said. "I have something far more special in mind."

"And you think this will give you what you want from me?" He asked.

"I know it will." She said.

"You know what will happen if you disappoint me?" He asked.

"I understand."

"So then you still wish to continue our game?" He asked slyly.

"I do."

"You are a brave soul." He laughed and as he picked up his flute and began to play a quiet tune, watching with mild amusement as the young blond woman began to sway to its melody.

Heart and soul....da dum da dum da dum....

"Can I have her now? I'm bored." He asked, pointing down to her.

"No, " Lynchia said. "I need her to complete the gift."

He sighed. "You will come tonight then?" He asked impatiently.

"You know I can't." She said. "Tomorrow is the only night of the year where all the planets are in perfect alignment." She explained quietly, not wanting to instill his wrath, yet knowing that she was playing with fire.

"I have little patience for excuses." He spat. "And if you are not up to the challenge there are many that wish to have the chance."

"Have I not delivered so far??" She asked trying not to betray the anger building in her.

"So far, yes, but none have been good enough....but you know that don't you Lynchia." He purred.

"Yes," She said quietly. "But I have what you want now...and you will not be disappointed."

"Let's hope not, Lynchia, as time is running out on our little bargain." He said, his voice darker now with just a hint of warning.

"I am aware of that." She said evenly.

"A deal is a deal, after all Lynchia."

"Yes, it is."

There was a moment of silence as he rubbed his beard with the tips of his fingers pondering what possible prize she could deliver to him that would win her ultimately what she desired, and ultimately what he, himself, desired. Then he picked up his flute and began to play a melody that echoed through the forest, ever so softly, and almost imperceptible to the human ear.

"I must go. I have to meet with the others." She spoke as she turned and guided Gabrielle by the arm and away from the tree.

"I'll be waiting..." He whispered to her. a smile spreading across his face. "And Lynchia,"

She stopped and waited, not really wanting to hear but knowing he would allow no less. "Yes?"

"Red is my favorite colour."

*******

Xena raced into the village square, her heart in her throat, sweat pouring down her face from the heat and exertion of the ride. Argo was laboring from the breakneck speed she'd set and she was relieved she didn't have to push her any further. Her eyes scanned the crowd of merchants and villagers milling around the various stalls, each containing its own flavor of over priced merchandise. Her eye caught a glimpse of strawberry blonde hair and her heart lifted but quickly fell again as the woman turned around to reveal a middle aged stranger with little resemblance to her Gabrielle. She jumped down from Argo, tying her to a nearby hitching post, and entered the crowd. She made her way briskly through the passerbys, an occasional grunt of disapproval at her lack of etiquette as she roughly pushed aside anyone in her way. If that woman harmed one hair on Gabrielle's head she'd tear her throat out with her bare hands. She willed herself to gain back control as getting panicky would not help the situation. She breathed deeply trying to remain calm as she worked her way through the maze of nameless faces.

*******

Lynchia stepped out of a shop door and walked over to where Gabrielle was patiently standing wait for her. Very obedient, once she got the hang of it. "Well, I think I'm finished here for the moment. Are your ready to head back?"

Gabrielle looked over at Lynchia, smiling, "Yes, whenever you're ready is fine."

"Hmmm,"Lynchia frowned, and then began to walk. "We'd better hurry, we want to get back before Xena. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise now would we?"

"No, we wouldn't." Gabrielle smiled and linked her arm around Lynchia's, the other holding her purse which had her gift neatly tucked away. They were walking towards the end of the stalls when Gabrielle heard a commotion behind her. Before she could look around to see what was the cause of it, a black figure came flying into her peripheral. A gush of air followed as the figure somersaulted in mid air and landed directly in front of her, sword already drawn. It was Xena.

Both woman froze. Neither could speak, as they tried to decipher the look on Xena's face that bordered on panic, fear, rage and perhaps something darker.

"LET HER GO!" Xena screamed at Lynchia, thrusting her sword within inches of Lynchia's throat.

"Xena!" Gabrielle finally found her voice. "What are you doing!??"

"I'm..." Xena looked back and forth between the two women. What was she doing exactly? She retracted her sword slightly and turned to Gabrielle. "I thought I told you to stay at the camp." She growled as she tried to hide her labored breathing.

"I know...it's just that...we thought a little shopping might..." Gabrielle couldn't finish. She had been wrong to leave and she had no real excuse. She suddenly wondered why she had done such a thing. She felt confused for a second as to why she was standing there and then she remembered the dress.

"And you!" Xena turned to Lynchia. She couldn't think of what to say next. She was suddenly feeling absolutely ridiculous. But she had always trusted her instincts, and they had yet to fail her. She was sure Gabrielle had been in danger. She had felt it just as sure as her own beating heart.

"Xena," Gabrielle broke in. "It was my idea, we got talking and Lynchia mentioned she loved to shop and you know how you hate to shop and it's so hard to find someone, you know to shop with since we travel together and I never get to, just shop, and so I thought it might....Look..." By the gods she was rambling. She looked at Xena who appeared to be having a difficult time following her prose.

"Your idea." Xena repeated, she was still back on the first part of the sentence. She looked over at Lynchia, her eyes narrowing. A barely containable rage was welling up inside her and she was unsure of why or where it was coming from. Her faithful headache came back in full force. By the gods, breathe. She did just that and turned away from the two of them afraid that if she kept looking there she'd kill someone or something. "We've got to get back, it's getting dark. Follow me." She growled and headed back through the crowded streets towards Argo.

"What's her problem?" Lynchia whispered to Gabrielle as they followed after her.

"She's a little over protective." Gabrielle whispered back. "That mishap in the hot springs last night has her on edge."

"I heard, how terrible for you, it must have been awful." Lynchia whispered back.

"It was, I don't remember much, but Xena saving me...yet again." Gabrielle sighed. She tried to recall the events but they no longer were clear, it was as if it was only a distant dream, something elusive and reaching. She struggled as there was something there that she knew she should have remembered, but could not.

"You remember nothing." Lynchia stated quietly.

"Yes," Gabrielle repeated, "I remember nothing."

"Good."

They reached Argo and Xena mounted her. She turned to see Gabrielle and Lynchia arm in arm once again, merrily walking along without a care in the world. She was ready to kill them both. Gabrielle came over and waited for her hand to extend an invitation. It didn't. The bard stepped back, a hurt look crossed her features but she said nothing. Xena immediately regretted her actions but couldn't bring herself to apologize. Instead she guided Argo through the street careful to make sure both women were close behind. She brooded silently all the way back to camp. She couldn't decide who she was more mad at, herself, Gabrielle, or that witch Lynchia.

Chapter 11

-------------

"Mean to me, why must you be mean to me

Gee honey it seems to me, you like to see me cryin"

Saragh Vaughan

Everybody sat in strained silence around the fire. The sun was setting and dusk was descending upon the encampment. No one dared speak as the warrior woman was like a bear. Not even Lynchia was crazy enough to make a comment. They all ate rabbit quietly, from the spit of the fire, careful not to chew too loudly.

Gallion watched all three women before him. He knew enough to keep his mouth shut. His Gabrielle looked upset, and he longed to comfort her but didn't dare go near her in fear the warrior would kill him. He was quickly discovering she was very possessive of her friend. Suddenly Gabrielle got up and left the clearing, heading into the woods. He watched, then, as the warrior followed. No one dared say a word. Mensor, Lynchia and himself continued to stare at the fire, each deep in his own thoughts.

Gabrielle leaned up against a tree, her eyes closed and waited, she hoped, for Xena to come to her. She heard the quiet approach of the warrior. She opened her eyes and she was staring into the sad ice blue eyes of her love. She went to speak but Xena put her fingers on her lips. And then quickly followed with a kiss. Gabrielle sighed as she returned the quiet kiss with her own, pulling the warrior closer to her, needing to feel her strong arms around her. She pulled away looking up at her lover. "I'm sorry."

Xena shook her head, "No don't be, I'm the one that should apologize. I don't know what came over me, I overreacted, I'm just.. last night, I was beside myself and.."

"Xena, it's ok, really." Gabrielle said softly, stroking the warrior's hair to try and soothe her. She saw a sadness there and something more, the beginning of tears.

"Gabrielle, my heart is so tightly wrapped around yours now I can hardly think, let alone breathe.." Xena spoke quietly. Expressing her feelings was never easy.

"Xena, it's a good thing.." Gabrielle smiled up at her.

"No, I mean, yes, it is, but in our line of work...." Xena hesitated, afraid to hurt Gabrielle but needing to discuss this. "Dangerous." She finished, her eyes looking away from the bard.

"Xena look at me.." Gabrielle whispered. Xena finally gave in and gazed into her eyes, a lone tear spilling down her cheek. Gabrielle reached up and caught it with her hand. "Xena, nothing has changed. I've loved you since I first saw you, and every time you go into a battle my heart is in my throat I'm so afraid I'll lose you. Sometimes I don't think I even breathe until you've stopped fighting. But that doesn't mean I'd trade anything for what we have now. I love everything about you, and this is who you are, I've long ago accepted it. Now you have to accept that I will be by your side until I no longer breathe, now if that means I die while we're saving someone, or fighting for a greater good, as long as I'm in your arms, I will go peacefully."

"I love you Gabrielle." Xena sighed, as another tear slipped down to greet Gabrielle's gentle hand.

Gabrielle answered with a kiss, reaching up to capture the warrior's lips with her own.

*******

"Do you think she's catching another rabbit?" Gallion spoke aloud finally breaking the deafening silence between the three of them.

"Oh I'd say she's catching something." Lynchia quipped. She had thought of sliding over but it was getting so mushy, it was sickening. By the gods, you'd swear they were sixteen.

Gallion looked over at Lynchia. Now what was that supposed to mean? Gods, he hated when women talked in riddles. Why did they have to be so complicated. The complexity of their characters continually left him feeling confused and just slightly off center. He hated all of this yet still he was drawn to them like a magnet, it was something he could not control. Something perhaps he didn't want to control. He sighed and continued eating his meal.

Mensor sat in stony silence, not even attempting to get into this conversation. He looked over at Gallion, still so innocent. He'd learn, and he'd learn the hard way. All women were evil, some just buried it deeper than others. He had long ago learned not to trust them, let alone allow one to capture his heart. They were there to satisfy a need, and that was all. He looked over at Lynchia. And some were so dark, you daren't even go there. Of this he was sure.

"Oh not all women are dark, Mensor," Lynchia smiled, "Only the most exciting ones."

*******

"We should get back." Xena sighed as she reluctantly pulled away from the kiss.

"Can I come with you tonight?" Gabrielle asked tentatively.

"Yes, I want you with me....I don't trust Lynchia, I won't leave her with you alone again." Xena said.

"Oh Xena, she's actually quite nice. We have a fine time together this afternoon. Perhaps you're worrying too much." Gabrielle said.

Xena looked warily down at the bard. "Well, you've certainly changed your tune today. Last night you said you thought she pushed you into the water."

"Did I say that? I don't remember saying that, I don't remember anything actually." Gabrielle frowned as she tried hard again to resurface the elusive memory, it was no use.

"You remember nothing?" Xena asked, a tiny worry beginning to swirl its way around her belly once again.

"Nothing." Gabrielle replied.

"Nothing." Xena repeated for herself more than the bard. There seemed to be alot of nothing going around. And she didn't like it one bit.

"Xena, stop fretting." Gabrielle said pulling her close once again. "I'm fine, really." Gabrielle kissed the warrior's neck. "Perfect in fact." She began to run her hands down the sides of Xena's leather. Gods she loved the feel of her beautifully sculpted body. "Energetic, actually. Alive, raring to go, simply.."

"Gabrielle." Xena warned, giving her the look. "We're working tonight. Remember?"

Gabrielle sighed and rested her forehead on Xena's breastplate. "I seem to recall that, yes."

"Good, we know your memory is working then." Xena grinned down at her frustrated bard, playfully teasing her hair.

"Couldn't we just?" Gabrielle pleaded, looking up at the warrior.

"Gabrielle." Xena warned.

"Yeah I know," The bard sighed. "Maybe you better start wearing a potato sack to work then, so I can do my job."

"Now where would be the fun in that?" Xena asked playfully.

"Yeah, you're right. Besides, you'd probably look good in that to. "

"Come on." Xena pulled her away from the tree and led her back to the camp.

"How about naked?" Gabrielle asked.

"Where would I hang my chakrum?"

"I can think of a few places..."

"Gabrielle."

"I'm coming, I'm coming."

Chapter 12

-------------

"Somebody bring me some water, can't you see it's out of control

Baby's got my heart, and my baby's got my mind

But tonight the sweet Devil's got my soul"

Melissa Etheridge

The moon cast its eerie glow across the altar, as it shone down through the opening of the temple's roof. It illuminated the cold gray stone slab, mixing with the yellow glow of the torches that hung from the inner walls. A slight breeze kept the flames dancing creating a mesmerizing play of light across its surface. No one had spoke for well over an hour now, as a quiet had fallen over the tiny group. Mensor stood against the far wall, opposite of Xena, who leaned against the other. Gabrielle had long since succumbed to Morpheus and lay curled up on the temple floor, her arms wrapped around one of Xena's boots, snoring softly. Xena herself, was tiring, but was not in fear of falling asleep. She had long ago learned how to stay awake, sometimes even for a few days at a time. It was a necessary skill for a warrior if one was to continue to survive. Except she had never had such an inviting figure lying across her feet before. Every fiber wanted to sink down and curl up in Gabrielle's arms. The temptation was incredible. Xena shook her head and looked over at Mensor, sighing quietly. It had to be at least halfway til dawn, perhaps later. Her eyes traveled to the altar, and the stone pillars that stood in front of it. The gold eagles looked more menacing in the darkness than they had earlier when the sun had been reflecting their beauty. Now their predatory eyes appeared black, hollow, and without mercy. She almost felt as if they were watching her, waiting for her to close her eyes, and then they would be upon her, tearing out her throat as they descended on her like....what in Hades are you doing to yourself Xena?

"You alright?" Mensor asked from across the room breaking the deafening silence that threatened to consume him. Gods it sounded good to hear a voice, even if it was his own. He was never much for small talk but he was thinking it was skill he could use right about now.

"Me?" Xena asked. Of course you, you idiot, who else. "Fine."

"Good." Mensor replied. He looked around the temple trying to think of something, anything to start this conversation going again. "Nice craftsmanship on the eagles."

"Yeah." Xena replied. Now that was a creative answer. She almost kicked Gabrielle subtly in hopes that she would wake and tell another story. Gods she hated small talk but had to admit it was better than spooking herself, something she was doing a fine job of at the moment. "Nice."

"Yeah, nice." By the gods, a woman after his own heart. And she definitely wasn't like any woman he'd ever met before. He had to admit part of him was actually attracted to her as she was so strong and independent. Very rare in a woman. Or maybe it was the leather? "I'd swear the eyes are real."

"What?" Xena called over.

"The eyes. On the eagles." He pointed.

"Oh, I was thinking the same thing myself." She finally cracked a smile. She was not alone in her self torture. He laughed and she joined in. She went to walk over to him and almost fell on her face, catching herself just in time. She's forgotten all about the bard wrapped around her leg.

"Are you ok?" He hurried over with slight worry.

"No, yes, I mean, fine." She smiled at him as she carefully extracted herself from the bard's death grip. She'd never really noticed before, but he wasn't a bad looking man. In fact, quite handsome, when you got right down to it.

They both walked over to the altar, and gazed up at the night sky through the opening. "Beautiful night." Mensor commented looking over at the gorgeous raven haired beauty at his side. Gods she looked incredible, he felt himself growing warm from the sight of her. He shook his head to dispel such thoughts. He was a warrior on duty and there was no way in Hades he was going...gods she smelled nice.

Xena looked over at him, and felt a warmth shoot through her at the sight of his chiseled features in the moonlight. Her eyes widened slightly and she looked away, anywhere, where he was not in her vision. "No sign of blood." She ran her hand along the stone slab, her fingers gently caressing its cool surface. So smooth to her touch, she felt almost electric and was in desperate search of a ground.

He watched as her hand seductively ran along the length of the stone. What incredible sexy hands she had. He's never seen anything like it before. He was mesmerized as she gracefully continued her strokes, back and forth. He thought he could hear the faint traces of a melody rising across the night sky and gently drifting towards him. "Do you hear that?" He asked.

"What?" Xena asked as she continued to touch the slab.

"Music." He said as he strained to make sense of its whispers.

"No, I don't think.." Xena breath caught in her throat as a sea of visions swept through her mind's eye, one folding over another, each of women in the throes of passion, writhing on the altar, and shaking from each wave of pleasure and pain that swept over them. She felt each sensation as her own, and she sank to her knees from the sheer magnitude of the feelings. She shut her eyes in the hopes of expelling the visions before her but they wouldn't go away. Her whole body was on fire from the sensations pulsing through her. She lifted her hand from the stone slab to hold her head, as she was sure it would it explode and in an instance the vision was gone. She was panting, trying to take in air, as she seemed to have little left in her lungs, while desperately trying to make sense of what in Hades had just happened to her.

"Xena? Are you alright?" Mensor bent down and helped her up from the ground.

She gazed over at the stone slab, but there was nothing there, just the light of the torches playfully caressing its smooth surface. "I'm..ok..I think.." She stammered as she turned to look at him.

*******

"Ok, I've got thirteen candles here, wait, better bring extra, just in case. Wouldn't want to blow the whole thing over something as stupid as.. " The woman looked over at Lynchia, who had suddenly become very still. "Hey Lynchia, are you listening to me?"

"No." She replied flatly. "We've got a problem."

"What is it?" The woman asked.

"He's sampling the merchandise." She replied.

"We're not ready..." She spoke, a slight panic rising in her voice.

"I know that Sauri." Lynchia replied impatiently.

"He has no right..." She said.

"He's a god Sauri, perhaps not as sophisticated as he'd like to believe, but he has the power nonetheless." She sighed.

"Well do something!" Sauri cried.

"I'm trying," Lynchia said evenly. "If you'd shut up, I might be able to."

*******

Mensor held Xena in his arms, he couldn't tear his eyes away from her intense ice blue stare. "You sure you're ok? Looked like you'd been shot by an arrow or..." He stammered. He could feel the closeness of her and it was driving him mad with desire.

There was something drawing her to him, and for the life of her, she couldn't fathom what that was, she desperately wanted to pull away from his grip but her body just wouldn't listen. Instead it pressed itself even closer to him, her leathers brushing against his own. She longed to feel his lips on her own, to take him, to be taken, on this altar. It was need that was now washing away all rational thought, it was all she lived for, breathed for, wanted, and she would not be denied. The small part of her that knew this wasn't right slid away quietly to the floor as she guided Mensor onto the altar.

Mensor let the warrior woman lead. He marveled at the sheer strength of her. She was like no woman he had ever experienced before. He lay there mesmerized, his eyes locked onto her eyes, dark from an intense need. He watched as she began to remove her breastplate, he was dizzy from the sight of her, and barely could contain himself any longer. He went to reach up but she held him strong, it would be her way or no way. He lay back, awaiting the touch of her lips on his body.

Xena removed her leathers, letting them fall to the cold stone ground of the temple. She reached down, brushing her lips against his, wanting to take him, own him, and possess him as hers. She hesitated. A tiny part buried deep inside her screamed at this violation of her soul. It clawed its way upward, desperately trying to break free into rational thought. But then a wave of pure intense desire crashed over her and drowned its attempts to save her from herself. Finally, she allowed herself to kiss him, and all at once she forgot everything she ever knew.

*******

"Come on Gabrielle...wake up..." Lynchia raged. By the gods, she was a sound sleeper!

"What are you doing?" Sauri asked, a rising panic now evident in her voice.

"Trying to get the damn brat awake. Quiet! I need to think!" Lynchia growled.

"Let me try," Sauri growled.

"Don't bother, you know no one is as good as me." Lynchia retorted.

"You know, Lynchia, your modesty leaves much to be desired."

"Don't start, not now."

"You're such a bitch Lynchia."

"I try."

*******

Gabrielle's eyes opened. She had awakened from a deep slumber and fought to get her bearings. She felt the cool stone of the temple floor on her face and remembered where she was. Through a sleepy haze her eyes traveled across her line of vision to a crumpled shape before her. In the shadowy night air it looked to be an animal. A surge of fear passed through her tiny frame but then her eyes adjusted and the ears and snout of the wolf were not, in fact, that at all. It was, she was pretty sure, Xena's leathers, and breastplate? Which would mean... what? Her mind rolled through the possibilities. She lifted herself into a seated position and gazed at the great altar, and she had her answer. "Xena?"

The warrior froze from the sound of Gabrielle's voice. Her eyes flew open and she locked onto the eyes of an equally surprised Mensor. She awoke to conscious thought, as if from a dream as she pulled away and stared in sheer horror at the scene before her, trying desperately to make sense of it. She turned towards Gabrielle, her mouth hanging open from shock and something worse, and tried to mouth her lover's name but she couldn't speak. The pain and sadness she saw in Gabrielle's eyes tore through her heart like a dagger and she felt it as if it were real, nearly doubling over from the shear agony of it. She watched, as if from outside herself, as Gabrielle slowly got to her feet, backing away from her, the beginnings of tears spilling down her pained features. Finally Xena found her voice. "Gabrielle....wait..it's not what you think..." She pleaded.

"Don't Xena...don't.." Gabrielle warned her as she collected herself and her things as she backed up towards the temple door. She couldn't bear to hear the warrior's voice, as it broke her heart further with each word that spilled from her mouth. She just couldn't believe it, wouldn't believe it, she must have been dreaming it, or she would surely die. She turned and ran blindly out into the night and into the darkness of the woods in the hopes of awakening from the horrible nightmare that had become her waking dream.

"Gabrielle!" Xena cried as she watched her run out into the night. She turned to look back at Mensor who was equally shocked. She felt like throwing up and swallowed hard catching the bile that was rising up her throat.

"What in Hades?" Mensor cried, looking up at the woman that appeared to be turning green before him.

Xena only shook her head in disbelief as she quickly jumped down from the altar and gathered up her clothing from the temple floor. "I'm going after her."

"I'll come." He offered, as he jumped down himself, adjusting his own armor that had been ruffled from the proceedings. He put his arm on her shoulder but she recoiled from his touch.

"No, just..." Xena stammered, gods, "Just stay here. Someone's got to watch the temple. Just..don't move.." She said as she backed away from him, pulling on her leather tunic, her hands shaking visibly. She welcomed the pain as her leathers scratched hard against the stitches on her back. This was something she could embrace, something tangible, something she could make sense of. Gods, she was dying inside. There was a huge hole in her center that had been punched out and she could barely take in air at the moment. She had to find Gabrielle, had to beg for her forgiveness, had to erase the pain she had seen in her sad green eyes. She ran out into the night in the direction of Gabrielle, all the while her mind racing as to what exactly she would say when she found her. She had no answers, only questions as she disappeared into the blackness of the woods.

*******

Tree branches scratched at her hands and face as she stumbled blindly through the thick dense forest, trying to put as much distance between herself and the vision of her love in the arms of someone else. She had been running flat out for as long as she could remember, and she fought to catch her breath through the sobs that wracked her body. Finally, exhaustion overtook her need to escape and she fell to the forest floor in a tangled heap, her hands covering her face in the hopes that she could erase the image that played over and over in her mind. Then, as she calmed, and her sobs became more quiet, she thought she could hear a melody drifting towards her in the damp night air. She vaguely remembered its familiar tune from somewhere deep inside her. She cocked her ear straining to locate the direction of the sound that grew louder with each passing moment. Suddenly, her pain was replaced by a new and fresh emotion, that of primal fear, as she heard the faint sound of twigs snapping quietly as someone, or something was making its way towards her. Her heart began to pound loudly in her chest and she slowly rose from the forest floor, collecting her staff and purse where she had discarded them moments ago. "Xena?" She called out tentatively to the darkness.

Xena finally stopped running, drawing in air to try and calm her beating heart. Gods, she was a mess. And she was no closer to finding Gabrielle. The woods were pitch black, the waning moon offering little help in illuminating through the thick brush. She couldn't see her if she was standing in front of her, let alone track her under these conditions. Think damn it, think. She willed her warrior side to step forth and take control of the situation as her emotional side was doing a very bad job at the moment. She breathed in and focused, straining to hear any night sounds that might betray the whereabouts of her lover. Lover, hmm, and who might that be Xena? "Shut up!" She screamed out loud to herself. Gods, she was losing it again. "Gabrielle! Please!!" She screamed, piercing the night air with her desperate cry for forgiveness.

Gabrielle stopped when she heard Xena's plea. Her voice was filled with such pain it took Gabrielle's breath from her throat and her heart cried out to comfort the warrior despite the circumstances. She forgot everything and turned in the direction of her voice. "Xena I'm--" Gabrielle's call was cut short as a powerful hand covered her mouth and she was lifted from the forest floor and into the trees.

Xena heard Gabrielle's call to her and her heart lifted but then froze when she heard her words stop in mid sentence. She turned in the direction of her voice, which was not far from her at all and began to make her way through the tangled brush, oblivious to the tiny tears that were cutting her skin from the thorny fingers. A new panic was rising within her now as she felt Gabrielle's fear as her own. They were so tightly connected, she knew immediately that something was very wrong. "Gabrielle!" She called out. Nothing. "Gabrielle!" She called again with a trace of desperation she was finding difficult to hide. Nothing. She continued forward until she reached the base of a large tree. Gabrielle had been here moments ago, she was sure of it. There was a faint trace of her in the dampness of the air, and Xena's uncanny ability to detect such things made her an expert hunter. She quieted her own breathing and listened for any trace of sound that would alert her to Gabrielle's whereabouts. The woods were unnaturally still and the only sound returned to her was that of her own frantic heart. She moved forward and her boot stepped on something unnatural for a forest floor. She bent down, feeling around with her hands and found Gabrielle's purse, and right beside it she felt the smooth hard surface of what could only be her staff. A terrible sick fear gripped her belly and she fought hard to maintain her composure. The worse part was she knew there was nothing she could do in this blackness. It was impossible to find her without light, and by the time she went to get help, she could be long gone from here. But where was she going, and who had taken her? Xena forced herself to turn around and head back towards the clearing as there was no more she could do here without light or reinforcements. She was so wrapped up in her frantic thoughts that she almost missed the sound of someone coming at her from behind. She whirled around with Gabrielle's staff and made direct contact with their face, sending them flying into a nearby tree and crashing to the ground.

"Oww!" Mensor cried as his head snapped back into the trunk of the tree.

"Mensor?" Xena said tentatively as she strained to see the figure in front of her.

"What's left of me." He growled, as he staggered to his feet.

"You should know enough not to sneak up on me like that." She cried, feeling his head for damage.

"I know, I was worried, I'm not thinking straight." He replied.

"You're not the only one." Xena sighed.

"Any sign of her?" Mensor asked.

"I found her things....someone's taken her. I'm sure of it." She said, trying to mask the fear in her voice.

Why? Are you sure?" He asked with growing concern.

"Yes I'm sure!" She barked. "We need a search party. Gather the men, and bring torches...we've got to find her!"

"It's impossible in this thick brush, we'd best wait 'til first light--" His voice was cut off as she slammed him hard into the trunk of the tree.

"I said, get the men and bring the torches." She spat through clenched teeth. She was shaking with anger and finally having someone to vent it on, was having a hard time controlling the darkness that was seething through her.

"Xena, calm down.." Mensor gulped.

"Don't tell me to CALM DOWN MENSOR!!!" She screamed at him.

"Alright I won't." Mensor said evenly, trying not to further upset her.

Xena breathed out. "Mensor, I'm sorry." She backed away from him.

"It's ok Xena. Let's go gather the men and bring the torches." He said.

"No Mensor, you're right." Xena spoke quietly. "We'll have to wait."

"Let's go back to the camp and see if she's shown up there." He offered.

"She won't be there." Xena stated.

There was an awkward silence as each stood there unsure of where to go, as there was little either could do to alleviate the situation.

"Listen," Mensor finally broke the tense silence. "I don't know what happened back there but what ever it was I'm sorry.."

"That makes two of us." She said quietly.

"I, uh, couldn't help notice your friend's shock..." Mensor said, not quite sure how to breach the delicate subject.

"Yes." Xena sighed.

"Yes, well, anyway." He replied awkwardly. He didn't need to probe further to have his answer. He left well enough alone as he could already sense the warrior was very close to the edge. "What do you think caused it?" He asked.

"I don't know, but I think I know someone who might." Xena spat. "And I think it's time her and I had a one on one."

Chapter 14

---------------

(no there is no chapter 13, this story is evil enough without it, and besides, I'm superstitious)

"She's a Black Magic Woman and

she's trying to make a devil out of me."

Fleetwood Mac

Xena stood in the shadows at the edge of the clearing to the campsite. She leaned against a tree, motionless, and at one with the forest. She had remained like this for the last hour, as unmoving and silent as a deadly predator. Finally she heard the quiet approach of footsteps on the damp ground. She would be ready for her, perhaps the pinch right away. Too merciful. Maybe just one blow to her midsection, momentary lapse of sanity. She really needed to vent some anger, and then the pinch...

"Hello Xena." Lynchia spoke as she walked over to the tree that concealed her.

Xena was stunned. How in Hades...?

"Looking for something?" She asked lightly.

Xena stepped out of the shadows. "Hello Lynchia."

"Ah, now that's better, terrible waste of beautiful features, hiding them in the darkness like that." She smiled.

"Where is she?" Xena asked, careful to keep her growing anger under control as Plan A was no longer an option.

"What's the matter Xena, lost your little..., what did you call her again? Partner? " Lynchia purred as she stepped closer to the warrior. "Funny, you never let her out of your sight...what exactly were you doing at the time?"

"Maybe you can tell me." Xena said evenly.

"Perhaps." Lynchia sighed, lifting her hand to touch Xena's hair. The warrior grabbed her arm and held it tightly. "Now, getting angry isn't going to solve your problems, is it Xena?"

Xena closed her eyes, breathing out slowly and let go of Lynchia's arm.

"Now that's better." Lynchia lifted her hand to touch Xena's hair and the warrior allowed it. Oh she must be desperate, this was getting good. "What was the question?"

"Gabrielle." Xena spoke slowly, careful that she might tear the woman apart if she didn't calm herself. "Where is she?"

"Well that is a problem." Lynchia sighed, twirling the warrior's raven hair with the tip of her fingers. "But I think I might be able to help you." Lynchia smiled at her. "For a price."

Xena groaned inwardly. "I'm listening."

"Oh not that.." Lynchia laughed, "Though I can't deny it didn't cross my mind. You are, I must say, quite impressive."

Xena raised an eyebrow and looked at the woman.

"But no, there's no time for such indulgences. And besides, I'm after bigger game, no offense." Lynchia smiled wickedly at Xena.

"Tell me what you want Lynchia." Xena sighed.

"I want you to come to the temple alone tonight, no guards, no distractions."

"Where's Gabrielle?" Xena asked with growing frustration. "I want to see her first."

"I don't have her Xena. I'm going to have to get her back. It may already be too late...if he's touched her..."

Xena was on her slamming her hard into the trunk of the tree. "If who's touched her!!!" Xena screamed, her voice rising in a panic.

"Xena," Lynchia smiled, "Did anyone ever tell you you're even more beautiful when you're angry?"

Xena could stand it no longer, she aimed fast and hard, like a cobra, hitting the pressure points on Lynchia's neck with expert fingers.

Lynchia's smile faltered only for a second, her eyes widening slightly but then she merely cocked her head, gazing at the warrior. "Thank you Xena, I think you've managed to fix an old crick in my neck. You're very good you know."

Xena stepped back in stunned disbelief. "What are you??"

"An expert in my field, as you are in yours, my precious." Lynchia purred. "Now if you want to see her alive again, I suggest you cooperate and stop with the finger acrobatics!"

"Alright." Xena said as she eyed Lynchia as if she were dancing with a deadly snake, and perhaps she was.

"I've got to go, and don't follow me, or send the soldiers into the woods. I don't have the energy for that this morning. One slip up and the deal is off. Is that clear?" She asked.

"Very."

Lynchia turned to head back into the woods. "Oh and Xena."

"Yes." Xena seethed.

"Wear the dress."

"Dress! What dress??" Xena cried in exasperation.

"The one your little friend bought for you, as a gift."

"Oh."

"Any questions?"

"Why should I trust you?"

"Who said anything about trust Xena."

"If anything happens to Gabrielle, I will kill you Lynchia." Xena said quietly.

"Sticks and stones...." Lynchia called back as she disappeared into the black covering of the dense forest.

*******

"Can you take this blindfold off, it's driving me crazy!" Gabrielle growled, as she shifted uncomfortably on the large limb of the oak tree. Her hands were bound together so she had to be careful or she would lose her balance and fall to the forest floor. She had no idea how far that might be but she didn't want to find out.

"In due time my dear." He purred.

"Look, I don't know who you are but you're messing with the wrong person. My friend isn't going to be very happy when she finds out you've kidnapped me and you'll be sorry, I swear, she's got quite a temper.."

He threw his head back, laughing long and hard, his voice echoing through the forest trees sending chills down the spine of every living thing within earshot.

"Something I said?" She asked warily, trying to mask the fear that had just shot through her from the sound of his voice.

He leaned over, stroking the side of her face with his large hands, the long fingernails gently gliding along the surface of her skin. He felt her recoil from his touch and he smiled at this. "You're quite pretty, did you know that?" He said softly.

"Why thank you, that's very kind of you...really... ." She laughed nervously as shivers of revulsion swept across her from his unnatural touch. How big were those nails exactly? And by the gods, he smelled, like, what? Livestock? Perhaps a farmer? With the laugh of a demon, mind you.

"She should appreciate such a delicate creature as yourself much more than she does, don't you think?" He smiled.

"She does..she.." Gabrielle replied, and then caught herself. How in Hades did he know about them?

"She has a funny way of showing it, don't you think?" He said slyly.

"That was...that was just.." Just what? Just exactly what?

He chuckled, "So innocent."

"I am not!" She cried.

"Oh, don't be modest, of course you are. It practically seeps from your pores, I can smell it that strongly." He laughed.

"Smell it, well, that's, yeah, that's great. yah." Gabrielle said. Oh boy, she was in deep this time. Where was Xena? She never took this long to rescue her. She was coming...wasn't she???

"Oh yes, indeed. Just one of my many gifts." He leaned over, running his hand down the front of her, slowly, careful to pay special attention to her chest, that was rising rapidly from a growing apprehension.

"That's great, multitalented." Gabrielle shifted on the limb trying to distance herself subtly from his touch. "Listen, did I tell you I was a bard?"

"A bard?" He asked.

"Yeah, story teller, scroll writer, cub reporter." She explained.

"Ahhh. I see."

"Have you heard the one about Prometheus, and how Xena released him from his chains?" She asked nervously.

"He's a wimp. Who cares."

"Oh, well, how about the one where she liberates Death?"

"She's not bad looking, but over rated." He replied with growing boredom.

"Defeats Morpheus?" She asked weakly.

"All he does is sleep. I can't believe he gets such attention!"

"Hades? When she gets back the invisible mask of.."

"Hades!! Don't mention that name!" He spat in anger. "That poor excuse for a...my own grandmother could do a better job than that.."

"How about Bacchus? Xena blew him up." She asked tentatively.

"Bacchus, really. I'd heard of that actually. Go on."

Gabrielle rejoiced inwardly. "Yes, well, it all started when we were walking through the forest of the Bacchae...."

Chapter 15

---------------

"And now you've disappeared somewhere...

Like outer space, you've found some better place

And I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain.."

Missing, Everything But the Girl

The first rays of light were fingering their way through the leaves of the trees and landing softly on the warrior's back. Xena sat quietly on the ground holding Gabrielle's purse in her hands. She didn't feel right going into Gabrielle's personal belongings but she had little choice at the moment. She reached in feeling around, she felt something soft and sticky, and pulled it out. It was a sweet bun wrapped in cloth, perhaps she'd purchased it at the market? And most likely for the warrior. Her heart dropped. She placed it carefully on the forest floor and continued her digging. She pulled out a comb and a small stone that had tiny glittering objects embedded in it, probably kept it because it was pretty, she thought to herself. She reached in and pulled on something stick-like and a tiny "bbaaaah" came muffled from the bag. She smiled as she pulled out the little wooden toy lamb she had given Gabrielle for Winter Solstice last year. She gave it another pull on the tail, eliciting another cry. Gods, she was getting emotional. She set it aside. A hair clip, her pentalpha necklace...now why wasn't she wearing that? Then Xena grimaced as she pulled out the bird beak that had been attached to Gabrielle's staff when Ephiny had given it to her. Yeesh, they'd both decided to pull that ugly thing off the moment they were out of Amazon territory. Gods, if Ephiny ever knew. Xena sighed. A tiny bracelet, a pan flute, thank the gods she'd given up on that, her amazon clothing, and finally she pulled out a wrapped package. This had to be it. She carefully untied the string, and unwrapped the cloth that held her gift. She lifted up the dress to get a better view of it. It was made of a fine silk fabric, it felt incredibly smooth under her fingers. From the little light she was afforded she could guess its colour to be a deep lush red. It was sleeveless, with tiny straps for the shoulders, it was long, with a sexy cut down both sides to ensure visual access to her strong muscled thighs. She had to admit it was a beautiful dress. Gabrielle must have really wanted to see her in it. She held it to her chest, and fought back tears that threatened to escape her.

"Xena?" Mensor broke through the silence of the early morning as he stepped into the woods from the edge of the encampment.

"Yes?"

"You alright?" He asked.

"Fine."

Mensor sat down next to her. "Really."

"No." She smiled at him.

They sat together in silence for a few moments, watching as the morning slowly revealed itself, the subdued colours beginning their gradual ascent to their richness of the day. Neither warrior were big on words and each appreciated the other's quiet calm.

"This is my favorite time." Mensor finally spoke.

"Mine too." Xena admitted.

"I'm sure she's fine."

"I have to believe that." She whispered.

"Are you sure you don't want to send a scouting party, just in case?"

"No, we can't. That was part of the deal." She sighed.

"I'm sorry about Lynchia." He said quietly. "I should have seen it."

"Yes you should have."

"She has a way with people, makes you forget...things..."

"She can't be working alone. Is there anyone else amongst your men?"

"No, I don't think so." He shook his head.

"Perhaps someone in town?"

"There are many people in town, it would take too long to interrogate everyone.." He sighed.

"Well I can't just sit here and wait!" She cried.

"Alright, alright."

"But we can't be obvious...if she knows I'm checking around.."

"We'll go together, disguise ourselves as travelers..."

"The happy couple..." Xena sighed.

"Well, if you've got a better idea.."

"No, actually, I'm fresh out at the moment."

"Well then.." He rose to his feet and extended his hand to the seated warrior. She accepted it. "I know someone in town who can help us with the clothing."

"Good. And on the way you can tell me everything you know about Lynchia. Leave nothing out. I need an advantage, anything, that I can use against her."

"My friend in town might be able to help there. He's a bit of a mystic himself, though he hasn't practiced the art in years."

"It's a start." She sighed as they headed back to the camp to begin preparations for the day. She tried to remain optimistic but inside she was dying slowly, Gabrielle was out there somewhere, and she couldn't go to her. She had always been a woman of action and this enforced restraint was driving her mad. She had to keep moving, keep busy, as the alternative was somewhere she just couldn't go.

*******

"Anyway, we were all gathered around this vat, with his blood in it and he wanted us to drink from it, you know, bacchae forever type thing. I had the goblet right in my hands, I was ready, I was going for it but then Xena came in and she was pissed...no doubt about it..she looks sexy when she's pissed, by the way..." Gabrielle spoke animatedly, almost reliving the moment once again.

"Shh, wait...excuse me a moment, we have a visitor." He sighed as he leaned down over the branch, peering down to the forest floor.

"Xena?" Gabrielle asked, her heart lifting.

"Nope." He replied. "Lynchia, how good of you to join our little party."

"I see you've met Gabrielle." She smiled up at him.

"Yes, quite charming."

"You know that wasn't fair, what you did." She said quietly, testing the waters very carefully this morning.

"I never claimed to be fair." He replied coyly.

"I told you I needed her to complete the gift."

"And I got bored waiting." He retorted.

"I need her back." She asked nicely.

"No."

"Just until tonight."

"Nope."

"Without her, Xena will not pay the ultimate price." She said.

"That's not my problem Lynchia, that's yours."

"That's true. You haven't, touched her yet have you?" She asked tentatively, trying to mask the apprehension in her voice, if he'd already had his way with her, then all bets were off.

"And what if I have?" He asked.

"Just wondering." Lynchia replied. "Listen, if you give her to me now, I will deliver to you the most exquisite prize imaginable. And once she is yours, nothing will stand in your way."

"She is magnificent, I'll give you that." He replied slyly.

"You will gain the respect you deserve." She added.

"I do deserve it." He stated.

"They will not laugh at you again."

"They would dare to!" He cried.

"You are All Powerful."

"I am!"

"You will not be denied!"

"I will not be denied!!!"

"You deserve a rightful place on Mount Olympus!"

"How dare they not allow it!"

"Give her to me then! And you will have this!"

"I will!"

"Excellent, just hand her down." She smiled, extending her arms.

"Excuse me?"

"You agreed to lend her back to me."

"I did?"

"Yes, you did."

"Oh. I guess I did." He sighed, turning to look at Gabrielle who's mouth was hanging slightly open from the exchange. He reached over and lifted her up with ease. "Down you go."

Gabrielle landed in Lynchia's arms, still blindfolded, and still with a look of stunned disbelief on her features.

"Bye Gabrielle, I'll be looking forward to seeing you again..." He called down.

"Sure that would be...great.." Gabrielle replied nervously.

"Let's go." Lynchia whispered into her ear. "Before he changes his mind."

Gabrielle complied and they quickly turned to leave.

"Oh, Lynchia." He purred.

She hesitated. "Yes?"

"If you fail me tonight."

"I understand." She said as she led the bard away from the tree.

Chapter 16

-------------

"Your the devil in disguise.."

Elvis Presley

"Listen, I can't thank you enough for the clothes...we're in a bit of a bind." Mensor spoke to his friend, Cairne, who was still half asleep and not in one of his finer moods.

"Awfully early to be prowling around in cognito." He croaked as he worriedly ran his fingers across the stubble that had yet to be removed with his morning rituals. Cairne was an old man, his hair long since grayed, his belly long since taught, but he still took pride in his appearance, though it bore little resemblance to his former years, when he was strong, powerful, and sure of himself.

"Yeah, I know, but we can't afford to be seen. " He replied pulling on a brown cloak that Cairne had passed to him.

"I see." He replied as he handed a blue robe to the warrior woman.

"Oh, forgive me." Mensor said. "This is Xena, she's helping us investigate the reports of sacrifices at the temple altar."

"The altar." He repeated as he extended a shaky hand to Xena. "Bad place."

"Why do you say that?" Xena asked as she placed the robe over her back.

"Place of No Shadows." He said.

"What does that mean?" She asked, unsure of why it needed capitalization.

"A lot of evil has passed through those doors. Some say only the dead walk there, the soulless, and they cast no shadows."

"And you believe that?" She asked.

"I believe there is some truth in it, yes. But I'm an old man and I'm smart enough not to go looking for trouble where I might find it." He replied warily.

"And what about the maidens reported missing?" She probed further.

"I don't know anything about that." He replied nervously.

"You mean you don't want to know anything about that." Xena said leaning further into him.

"Something like that." He whispered and averted his eyes from the piercing blue gaze of the warrior woman.

"You're a mystic, are you not?" She asked.

"Was," He sighed. "A long time ago." His thoughts drifted back to a time when he had commanded attention, when he had the power, but then things had changed, he had changed, and he no longer had the stomach for it.

"Have you ever seen someone use power to control another?" She asked.

"Hmm?" He suddenly realized she was talking to him and his thoughts returned to the present once again. "There are ways, yes, but that would be rare."

"Define rare."

"Well," He looked back and forth between Mensor and Xena, licking his lips nervously. Hades, he should have stayed in bed. "There are certain spells, but you'd have to be very powerful indeed..."

"How powerful exactly are we talking here?" Xena asked.

"Well, that kind of power, wouldn't come from a mortal alone, that's for sure." Hades, his mouth had a mind of his own and he would be wise to shut it.

"You mean a god then?" She asked.

"Even gods aren't allowed to interfere with the goings on of mortals. You know that." He replied.

"Those are the rules yes, but then, rules aren't always followed..."

"I wouldn't know about that." He replied nervously. What had he been thinking? He had said too much already. "Listen, I've got things to do and I was hoping I could.."

"How about be in two places at once?" She asked moving closer to Cairne in a subtle battle stance. He wasn't going anywhere 'til she was finished with him and she didn't like his evasiveness.

Gods she was a tall woman. What? Six feet? So powerful, such a strong soul, already he could feel her power over him. "Are you asking me if someone could, what? Float around like a ghost?" He asked.

"I don't know, really." She said evenly. "I'm not the mystic, you are."

"Was a mystic." He corrected her. "Many years ago. Look, I really have to...if you wouldn't mind." He was slowly easing his way out of the corner the warrior had subtly boxed him in.

"Sure Cairne." Mensor broke in, putting his hand on Xena's arm. " We were just leaving, weren't we Xena?"

She looked over at him with barely masked anger. Then she looked back at Cairne. "Well if you suddenly find your memory, you'll be sure to let us know." She momentarily contemplated the pinch but this was Mensor's friend after all. Though she was sure he wasn't telling them everything he knew.

"You'll be the first to know." He replied attempting to lick his lips that had become very dry during the conversation. He slid past her and opened the door for them in a not so subtle gesture. Mensor stepped out into the street first. He watched as the warrior woman burned holes into his head from the strength of her stare as they walked through the door. He hesitated and then grabbed her arm at the last moment. She paused at the doorway. "Listen, you'd be best to just leave town. You don't want to go to that temple. It's nothing but evil." He whispered.

"I have no choice." She replied. "My friend has been taken."

"Yes." He sighed. "Well then...you'll do what you have to do. Just keep her close to your heart." And with that he closed the door in her face leaving her to contemplate his words.

Continued - Part 4

Back To Main XIP Fan Fiction Page