Part 5 of 9

"No. I didn't, ..notice actually." He said quietly.

"Yes, they're very connected....almost..." She whispered as she stared out into nothingness. "As one.."

Cairne breathed in evenly, willing the sweat to remain in his pores in case she might detect it. Gods, he'd created a monster. But then that was the chance you took when you played with fire.

"Monster? Cairne, really, do you think so?" She smiled up at him.

"Listen, I have to prepare her yet, and time's wasting here." He said.

"Alright, alright old man." She barked getting up and stepping towards him. She pointed the doll at his chest making contact with his heart. "If you see any sign of her, any at all, I want immediate notification. Is that clear Cairne?"

"Very." He sighed.

She looked at him intently for another long moment and finally let it go, walking past him and out towards the door. "I'll see you around Cairne. But next time, I'll be your monster. So you'd better start respecting me a little more....I might just keep you around as a house pet for old time's sake..if you're lucky." She smiled and closed the door behind her.

He sighed deeply and sat down on the bed, closing his eyes and finally allowing the sweat to come. "You can come out now." He said. Nothing. He bent down and peered under the bed. The warrior was staring up at the wooden frame, mouthing silently, as if chanting. Amazing. "Xena." Finally she looked over at him. "You can stop now." She nodded.

"That was excellent. You have many skills." He smiled at her. "You'd have made a great mystic you know."

"No thanks. Not physical enough." Xena said as she pulled herself up onto the bed again.

"Listen, we don't have alot of time here, if she doesn't detect you soon there'll be trouble. You have to get out of here and back to camp. So what do you think?" He asked.

"I have to find some way to turn them against each other. And they might be distracted enough for me to take them." She said.

"Interesting in theory....if you're strong enough to resist the forces that will overtake you once you enter. And you've only gotten a taste of that last night."

"I can be strong." She said quietly. "And I can be dark."

"Yes, but your friend's life here will depend on that, are you willing to take that risk?"

"No, I'm not. You must fail to deliver her tonight."

"It won't work, she'll need to be there. And you know that. Otherwise they'll know it. It's the only advantage you have at the moment. And they'll just seek her out anyway, and squeeze her heart until it bursts. That's Sauri's specialty."

"Terrific. A laugh a minute. Then at least let's let her know what's going on." She said looking down at the bard.

"Can't, she's not like you, Lynchia will know, she's too readable I'm afraid, too innocent. It's your darkness that gives you an edge and she doesn't possess it." He explained.

"When is it too late to come back in the ritual?" She asked with apprehension.

"When you have given yourself to him completely." He explained. "After that, your soul will no longer be your own."

"What about Gabrielle?" She asked.

"She is the Symbol of Innocence, as well as Lynchia's safety net in case you can't be controlled, as this is the thirteen offering, if she fails tonight..."

"I am to go willingly, to spare her?" Xena asked.

"Yes." He sighed.

"Can you promise me you'll get her out safely if things go bad?" She asked.

"I can't really..." He stammered.

"You've got powers...can you protect her or not?" She asked.

"I can try."

Xena looked down at her love and tried not to get emotional. She had to look away. "Explain the ritual to me."

Chapter 19

--------------

"Put on your red dress baby

And wear your smile"

Put on Your Red Dress

Xena stood in the clearing at the edge of the campsite, the sun having disappeared into the night's embrace, a quietness settling over the mountain. She slowly removed her leathers letting them drop to the forest floor, followed by her shift. She stood momentarily naked, letting the cool night air fall across her. It was calming. She reached down and picked up the red dress slipping it over her head and letting it fall across her naked form as it gently settled into place. It was incredibly smooth and silky against her skin. She breathed in deeply to gain the inner strength she would need if she was to see another sunrise. She heard someone approach from behind. "Hello Mensor."

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"Yes."

"I'll be in the woods near the temple just in case." He said quietly looking down at the ground unable to meet her eyes. "As will my other men."

"I'm to come alone. You know that Mensor." She sighed.

"I know, but she never said anything about waiting outside did she?"

"No, I suppose she didn't." She smiled over at him. "But we can't take the chance. She'd only use us against each other anyway. It's safer if you stay well away."

"I can't just sit by and watch you sacrifice yourself!!!" He cried.

"I don't plan to actually. I've got vacation coming."

"Very funny." Mensor sighed. "I'll come alone then. I will remain hidden."

"Please don't Mensor."

"I'm a warrior Xena, I'll do what I have to do, you of anyone should know that."

"I do." Xena said quietly as she bent down and picked up her sword and chakrum and handed them to him. "Take care of these for me." He nodded. "I've got to go now, make sure Gallion stays out of trouble." She smiled.

"I'll try." He said. There was an awkward moment as each wasn't very good at good-byes. Finally, Mensor put his hand out and she met his with a forearmed grip. "Be safe."

"Always." Xena smiled and turned away, disappearing into the forest, to greet the evil that awaited her.

*******

"Ready?" Sauri asked as she came up behind Lynchia who was standing arms crossed outside the back door of the store staring into the night sky.

"Yeah.." Lynchia replied as she tapped her the fingers of her right hand on her arm. "Something's bothering me."

"What is it?" Sauri asked as she stood staring out at the moon's glow herself.

"Don't know but I think I smell a rat." She mused turning to Sauri.

"Cairne?" Sauri asked.

"Yeah." She said. "I stopped over this afternoon and he was hiding something, that's for sure. But I couldn't read him, which is not good, seeing as it's not been a problem for ages. Not since I defeated him in the temple."

"You think he's helping the warrior woman?" She asked.

"I know it." Lynchia replied. "In fact, I'm counting on it."

"She'll use the wall." Sauri said.

"Yes, she won't survive otherwise." Lynchia smiled turning to Sauri. "Actually, things couldn't be working out more perfect."

"She's a fine specimen, no doubt." Sauri smiled.

"You're not falling for her, are you Sauri?" Lynchia smiled.

"Hardly, though I may keep the doll when all this is over. Might be worth dinars some day."

"Plueeasee." Lynchia smirked. "I think it's time you brushed up on your prophetic skills Sauri."

"Lynchia, you are pure evil."

"Not yet...but soon."

*******

"Just five more minutes.." Gabrielle groaned as Cairne shook her gently, yet again.

"Time to move." Cairne pulled her to a seated position. By the gods, Xena was right...she's impossible! And he was too old to carry her. "Xena's waiting for you." He coaxed.

Gabrielle's eyes opened a crack but the pupils quickly rolled back into her head as her body gravitated towards the bed again.

Hades, he was late! Lynchia must have induced too deeply, not as perfect as she would like to believe. He had anointed her with the necessary oils and changed her into the ceremonial white dress. She was prepped and ready to go. Now, if only he could get her to... "Xena's wearing the red dress."

"The dress." Gabrielle whispered dreamily. "The red dress..."

"Yes!" Cairne spoke enthusiastically. "Just for you."

"Just...for...me.." Gabrielle repeated as her eyes tried to focus on the figure interrupting her peaceful sleep. She fought to keep her eyes open. "Who are you?"

"Cairne." He replied. "Remember?"

"Nice...name.." Gabrielle smiled.

"Yeah." Ahh the guilt. "Let's go get Xena. She's waiting." He coaxed the bard off the bed, lifting her up by the arms. Her knees threatened to give out but he steadied her.

"Xena." Gabrielle replied from her haze looking over at the kind old man. "I love her you know." She got suddenly serious.

"Yes, you do. And she loves you." He smiled prodding her out the door, his arm around her.

"Yes she does." Gabrielle nodded as she looked at the man through a tired haze. She was trying to remember why she was here but couldn't seem to negotiate that particular puzzle at the moment. She really needed to see Xena, she would explain everything, she had all the answers...but she really just wanted to see her, to hold her, to love her and fall asleep in those inviting arms. She closed her eyes and dreamed of her.

"Oh no you don't!" Cairne cried as the bard started to slip from his grasp. "She's waiting." He shook her, half dragging her out into the night.

"Xena's..waiting..." Gabrielle mumbled. "for me..." And closed her eyes.

"For you." Cairne whispered and finally picked up the bard, carrying her in his arms, and pulling her close to his heavy heart. As he crossed the street Cairne glanced up at the black canvas of the night sky, void of life, shy the moon that hung coldly over them. He paid special attention to its quiet paleness, its familiar texture, its tired lonely shape, as it was the last moon he'd ever see.

Chapter 20

--------------

"There she stood in the doorway

I heard the mission bell

And I was thinking to myself

This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

Hotel California

Xena hesitated at the forest's edge gazing at the sinister temple, a warm reddish glow coming from its open doors. The first thing that greeted her was the aroma of an incense she didn't recognize, its fragrance hanging heavy in the damp night air. She could hear them, a faint chant echoing , calling her name, behind the temple walls. They were awaiting her arrival. She sighed deeply, steeling herself, and walked towards the open doors. She began her own chant, silently in her head, it would be her mantra, her strength, her salvation on this dark night. She is my Heart. She is my Soul.

The warrior entered the temple, her raven hair flowing gently over her shoulders, the red dress clinging seductively to her shapely figure, her ice blue eyes determined. They were standing behind the alter in a semi circle, thirteen in total, all robed in crimson, hoods covering their heads. The golden eagles looked coldly down at her Gabrielle, that lay across the altar, her head to the north, her feet to the south, dressed in a ceremonial white dress, she was blindfolded, her limbs bound to the four corners. She appeared to be sleeping, as her features were peaceful, beautiful and innocent. There were candles at each inlet, creating a visual circle from which her heart was its center. Lynchia stood in the middle of the thirteen, she held the bell, her arms outstretched to the skies.

The warrior went to protest but Lynchia held up her hand and Xena's voice left her. She could no longer speak and the use of her limbs was taken from her. The bell resonated through the temple, purifying the air, and the ritual began.

*******

Mensor stood in the dark covering of the forest. He could see the temple from his vantage point, but none could see him if they were to gaze in his direction. He was a skilled warrior of many years and had learned long ago to become one with his surroundings. He was the forest tonight. Only seconds had passed since Xena had entered the temple but already he felt they had been foolish to agree to such a plan. His gut told him so, and his gut never lied. He heard the sound of a bell and somewhere deep inside him he remembered. He had heard it before, but its memory was but a shadow in his heart.

*******

Lynchia's mind guided Xena to towards the altar, it was slow and difficult but the warrior was no match for her power tonight. Once Xena was standing in her rightful place, Lynchia began to speak. "In the name of Pan, Ruler of the Woods, Rightful King of the Land, I command the forces of Darkness to bestow their infernal power upon me!"

"Open wide the Portal of Darkness and come forth from the abyss to greet me as your friend." Lynchia and the others spoke as one.

"Come forth and answer to your name." Lynchia cried.

"Hail Pan!" Was spoken in unison from the group, and the Chant of Invitation had begun.

*******

Cairne knelt on the dirt of the ground, his head bowed, nearly touching its dampness. His hands clutched his stomach, the red blood flowing freely through his fingers. The pain was incredible but he was oddly detached from it. Promises, promises, so much for keeping him around as a pet. But then Lynchia had always been a stickler for details, and she hated it when someone lied. And she'd seen right through him. But he wasn't dead yet, surprisingly, and he wasn't going down without a fight. He concentrated hard, focusing on the warrior woman. She had been taken almost immediately and he was deathly afraid she would not regain herself in time. He sent his will to her, across the gentle breeze, a whisper's breath, a quiet hope. He was working so hard he almost missed the sweet melody that drifted towards him, it was Pan's flute, and he was coming.

*******

Xena stood behind the altar, gazing down at Gabrielle's sleeping form. She was trying desperately not to panic as she no longer had control of her body. She was concentrating hard on getting it back. She is my Heart. Xena picked up the goblet, her hands visibly shaking, its dark red liquid threatening to spill onto the bard. Its contents glistened under the light of the candles, and with an odd detachment Xena realized there were in fact no shadows cast across the altar's surface. She struggled to move her arms away from the altar but couldn't. Hades. She is my Soul. She placed the cup's edge at her love's lips and allowed the crimson liquid to pour down her throat. Xena tried to pull back so as not to choke the bard. She is my Heart. Gabrielle stirred under her touch, her head instinctually turning away, the liquid spilling onto the altar's smooth surface. She is my Soul. She placed the goblet on the altar. She is my Heart. Xena finally gained some control and bent down to touch the bard's lips with her own. She kissed her.

"Xena, stick with the program." Lynchia hissed from behind her. "No kissing."

Xena managed to turn her head to the side and looked intently at Lynchia. With mild horror she noted that Lynchia's eyes were no longer a deep brown, they were an ice blue. And she was looking, , not into Lynchia's soul, but into her own.

"What's the matter Xena, don't like what you see?" Lynchia smiled at her as she brought her hand up and ran her index finger across Xena's jaw line, as the warrior attempted to flinch backwards. "I like what I see." She laughed.

Finally Xena found her voice. "We had a deal." She gasped.

"Did we?" Lynchia grinned. "I've forgotten, what was it again, something about the brat. Hmm." She tapped her index finger on her own cheek as if trying to remember.

"A trade." Xena said evenly.

"Right, of course, when Pan comes." She replied. She turned to the others behind. "Let us proceed with the Ritual."

Gabrielle awoke to the sound of a faint melody, and something else, the feel of cloth on her arms and legs. She tried to struggle but it was no use, she was bound tightly. She couldn't see for a cloth covered her eyes, and there was a terrible sickly sweet liquid in her mouth that made her stomach immediately quiver from the thought of its presence there. She felt weak and disoriented but couldn't help tuning into the sounds and aromas around her. The air was heavy from a sweet fragrance mixed with the smell of burning wax, and something else, a faint stomping in the distance, as if something large was coming, shaking the earth as it made its way towards her. Gabrielle swallowed. "Xena?" She whispered weakly to no one in particular.

Xena noted with mild alarm that the bard appeared to be conscious and had just mouthed her name. She was trying desperately to keep herself from slipping away or they would both be dead for sure. But she was more interested at the moment in the large sword Lynchia had in her hands as she stepped up towards the altar once again. Concentrate. Do not become distracted. She is my Heart.

Lynchia raised the sword turning counter clockwise and pointing to the four corners of the earth, calling out the names of the dark ones. She couldn't help but glance over at the troubled warrior that appeared to be working in overdrive mentally, the sweat starting to drip down the sides of her temples. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. Perhaps she had a soft spot for the warrior after all. As she came round for her final invoking, she allowed herself a wink towards the warrior, who appeared not to be amused at all by it. Poor sport when she's not winning, she thought as she placed the sword down beside the altar, as this part was now complete.

*******

Mensor stopped breathing. What in Hades was coming up behind him? The ground shook with each thud that grew nearer and nearer. He steeled himself up against the old oak tree hoping he wouldn't be seen. He turned his head in the direction of the sound peering into the blackness of the forest in an attempt to anticipate its approach. Why was all this so familiar? Why did part of him already know what was coming? He struggled to grasp at the memory of it. He could hear the branches snapping as it closed in on him and he instinctually slid down into a seated position, his knees giving out. And then he saw the first glimpse of him, and he remembered everything.

*******

It wasn't so much that he was sitting here alone, things could be worse he supposed. And someone had to do it. What really bothered him the most was how they continually treated him as if he were still sixteen! Couldn't they see that he was in fact seventeen now and at least a season into it? Gallion angrily stoked the fire with the stick he'd chosen as his designated poker for the evening. It had started out longer but was working its way down slowly andas progressively as his mood. He looked up at the horses grazing in the clearing that he was to guard. All were eating lazily, shy Xena's horse, which was shifting nervously as if it knew something the others didn't. Hades he was feeling left out. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his little Pan amulet, it was grinning madly at him. Stupid Pan. So far this damn thing had done nothing to improve his situation. Ah, unrequited love really could get you down after awhile if you thought too much about it. What a stupid purchase it now seemed. He tossed Pan into the fire. Sighing deeply, he cupped his chin in his hands, watching the wax figurine slowly melt before his eyes in almost grotesque fashion, the grin the last to disappear. All he saw was five dinars go up in smoke. His brooding was interrupted by a faint sound in the distance, a far off stomping, as if someone or something large was moving through the forest. What in Hades?

*******

Pan reached up with his huge and powerful arms, parting the thick brush that stood in his way, his long fingers containing razor sharp nails, cutting the tiny branches, sending them careening to the forest floor, a trail of destruction left in his wake. He was so excited about his imminent arrival he didn't even notice the man that lay quivering at the base of the old oak in front of him. He was too busy anticipating his prize. He paused at the edge of the clearing and breathed in the night air mixed with the sweet incense that was burning for him alone, that and the faint trace of the coven. He was All Powerful tonight and he would not be denied any longer. His hooves kicked at the dirt in excitement as he worked this over in his mind.

Mensor looked up wide eyed and frozen in time. He must have been over seven feet tall, if not more, his red skin glistening under the pale moonlight, his lower body, covered in fur, blowing gently from the night breeze. The stench of animal and something darker was so great Mensor had to fight back the urge to throw up. He watched with an odd fascination despite his fear. He had seen him before, and more than once - when he had been watching the temple. The memories flooded back to him as a collection of scenes, maidens laid out on the altar, while he himself had taken part in the gruesome ceremony. He was so disgusted by this revelation, his shame so great, he almost lost himself to it. But his thoughts were broken by movement above him as Pan suddenly snapped his head in his direction, an evil grin spreading across his wrinkled features, his eyes sparkling. He'd been sensed. Mensor went to draw his sword but his hand never made it. Pan's powerful arm swept down and picked him up by the throat and flung him far into the blackness of the trees, his body smacking hard into a nearby trunk. Mensor slid to the forest floor as his world went black.

*******

"He has arrived." Lynchia smiled turning to the others. "All Hail his Greatness." She signaled and all thirteen women knelt on the ground, bowing their heads to the floor in his honour. Xena followed, though not of her own free will, as Lynchia guided her mentally down with the others.

Had there been a shadow to cast, it would have graced the doorway first, but alas, no shadows were cast tonight within the temple. Tonight it was to be The Place of No Shadows, and all forms of known physics were cast aside, replaced by visions that none would dream possible in the waking hours of the day. It was a place of nightmares and nothingness, an empty evil sanctuary for the damned. Pan stepped forth, the candles shaking from the weight of his walk.

Xena looked up from her position on the floor to gaze at the face of the demon. Horns protruding from his disgusting wrinkled face, his eyes a deep burning red that instantly locked onto her stare. He grinned at her, sending a shiver of revulsion and fear down her spine. Xena managed to arch her eyebrow, it would appear that the Pan figurines seemed to have exaggerated proportions on certain appendages as well. Then she had to look away before she lost herself to him.

Lynchia was the first to stand. "Oh Great One, we have awaited your arrival."

"And I have agreed to grace you with my presence." Pan smiled as he lifted his long spiny fingers to his beard, stroking it in peaked anticipation. "Defy me tonight and you're death will be my bidding." He warned.

Lynchia bowed, inwardly sighing, bloody gods and their bloody egos. "Yes, Oh Greatest One, We await the Removal of Innocence." She signaled to Gabrielle who was very much awake now and pulling madly at her restraints.

Xena's eyes widened and she struggled to rise but to no avail, she was pinned to her knees as if she were a puppet, invisible strings pulling her at the master's bidding. She went to protest but yet again, her voice was taken from her. She closed her eyes and willed herself to move.

Pan grinned and walked towards the altar, all the while gazing at Xena's struggling form on the stone floor. "Oh Xena, my poor Xena...." He laughed. "Not enjoying the festivities tonight?" He bent down and reached out towards the warrior with his long nails, stroking her chin, ever so slowly. "Do not fret so...it's unbecoming for a warrior of such stature."

"If you so much as breathe on her, I'll kill you." Xena finally spat out as she opened her eyes and met his piercing gaze. As she looked into the brilliant red she felt herself slipping into a quiet madness, and she almost fell into them, forgetting everything, but she steeled herself and looked away.

Pan threw his head back laughing loudly, his belly shaking in time with the candles. "Oh Lynchia," He finally managed as he caught his breath. "You have chosen wisely tonight!"

"As promised." Lynchia purred. "Shall we begin the opening of the portal?" She asked casually.

"In time....in time.." Pan replied. "First, the Innocence, no?" He smiled.

"But of course." Lynchia smiled, signaling the women to move into place. Four women rose from the ground and positioned themselves at the four corners of the altar.

"Xena!??!" Gabrielle screamed as she felt strange hands cover the ties that bound her arms and legs.

Xena jerked her head around forcefully attempting yet again to move from her kneeling position. "Don't you touch her." Xena barked a warning.

Pan chuckled. "But of course, my Xena." He turned to her. "Do you give yourself willingly to me?"

Xena nodded. "I do."

"Ahh, then you will be mine." Pan smiled. "Remove the Innocent!" He cried and the women began to untie the binds that held Gabrielle.

Gabrielle had been listening to what was transpiring before her and trying to make sense of it. Surely she was dreaming? She had a vague recollection of the thundering voice but couldn't quite place it. Her thoughts and memories were jumbled at the moment as she tried to piece together how she had arrived at such a place. She knew Xena was there but she must have been restrained, perhaps chains? As surely she would have come to her by now. Now what was this about the innocent..never mind its removal..was it...by the gods....her? Then her panicked thoughts were interrupted as the hands that covered her limbs began to untie her binds. She lay still as they worked the knots. She'd have but one chance for surprise and she wasn't going to let it slip by.

Xena watched the women release Gabrielle's binds and begin to carry her from the altar. The bard had gone still in the last few moments and Xena quietly wondered if Gabrielle was planning something. Then her question was answered as Gabrielle jerked one arm free as the coven women had been lulled by her passivity and she went down. The women descended on the bard in an attempt to recapture her arm and they all converged in a tangled heap. None of the women were well versed in this type of exchange which gave Gabrielle a momentary advantage. The bard managed to kick free one leg and was working her way out of the multiple grip. Everyone else froze for a moment, as this unprecedented interruption of the ritual caught everyone by surprise, including Lynchia.

"Get her!" Lynchia cried at the women in the pile. That little brat was punching and kicking her way out through the bottom of the heap. She couldn't believe it. Lynchia was livid at this turn of events and practically flew over to the fray to capture the bard's hair in her hands, just as she was working her way free.

For a moment Lynchia's attention was divided and Xena gained back use of her limbs, almost as if invisible hands had been lifted from her. Xena leaped through the air landing on Lynchia's back sending her crashing to the ground and back into the pile of women. Lynchia yelped and released the bard's hair. It had become a sea of arms and legs now as Xena tangled with Lynchia on top of the pile, the bard working her way out through the bottom.

The remainder of the coven watched in stunned silence, unsure of exactly what to do next, this wasn't part of the plan. Then they further panicked as Xena had landed on their leader. This broke their indecision and Sauri raced over and the others followed, descending on Xena and trying to extract her from the death grip she had managed around Lynchia's neck.

Pan first watched all this transpire with shock and alarm, and then growing anger. He was the guest of honour and now nobody was paying any attention at all to him. He was seething. How dare they ruin his big night with shenanigans such as this??! He grabbed his flute and raised it to his lips blowing a note so hard and so loud it shook the very foundation of the temple.

The note hit everyone's eardrums like an explosion and anyone that could, instinctively raised their hands to their heads in an attempt to protect themselves.

"How dare you desecrate this gathering in my honour!!!!" Pan bellowed as he towered over the pile of women below him. He reached down and extracted Xena from the pile by her neck raising her high into the air, momentarily blocking the flow of air through her windpipe. Xena struggled but his grip was strong and true and she could not escape it. This gave Lynchia a brief reprieve and she took full advantage, reaching down and pulling the bard up by her hair, yet again, as the other women grabbed the bard's swinging limbs. Finally they'd managed to hold her.

"Forgive us, Oh Great and Powerful Pan." Lynchia said as she looked up at his towering form. Oh boy, this was not part of the plan. That little brat was going to pay dearly for this. She pulled hard on Gabrielle's hair and the bard yelped. She was still blindfolded and still struggling but she was now fully aware her earlier advantage was long gone. The rest of the women, hair disheveled, robes askew, bruises forming, tried to adjust themselves as they knelt down before him begging for forgiveness.

Pan? Pan? The god Pan? Gabrielle worked this over in her mind as she tried to extract information from her bardial database. God of the woods, a little scary, ugly for sure, not to be taken seriously, horns, hooves, carnal lust, has been known to have sex with.. "Xena!?? Where are you?" Gabrielle cried as she pulled at the arms that held her fast. A terrible fear gripped her heart as she got no reply from her lover.

Pan looked down at them with slitted eyes and then back at Xena who was turning blue, her eyes beginning to roll back in her head as she tried to mouth Gabrielle's name. Oops, that won't do. He relaxed his grip, ever slightly, allowing air to once again pass through to the warrior's lungs.

Xena gasped, trying to will away the stars that were clouding her vision and wrapped her arms around his powerful one in an attempt to take some pressure off her neck. She looked down and her heart sunk as she saw that Lynchia and the others had Gabrielle subdued. "I'm here." Xena managed before Pan slammed her hard down onto the altar. Her head banged against the cold stone and a fresh wave of stars swept across her vision. It would appear she'd pissed off yet another.

Gabrielle's heart lifted. "Xena!" She cried and yanked hard once again nearly breaking free of the coven's grip.

"Tie her hands behind her back and gag the brat!" Lynchia spat to Sauri and the other coven members that had freed hands. She pulled Gabrielle's hair towards her, the bard's face within inches of her own. "The deal was to spare you but now all bets are off. How would you like to die? Burn alive slowly, perhaps we can get Sauri to blow up your heart? No, too quick, how about something slower perhaps..."

"Lynchia!" Pan cried. "Who are we here for tonight?!!"

Lynchia cringed. "Forgive me, a momentary lapse into sanity. For you, oh great, I mean Oh Great One." She turned back to the bard. "I'll deal with you later. But first, there's something I think you just have to see." She motioned the others and they dragged the bard to the altar and positioned her behind it a few feet back.

Xena watched in horror as they brought Gabrielle, now bound and gagged, around beside the altar. She struggled but Pan held her strong. He lifted himself onto the altar and kneeled over the warrior pinning her legs down. She was vaguely aware of this but she was far more concerned about Gabrielle. By the gods, they were going to make her watch. She turned to Pan. "We had a deal!" She cried.

"Yes, and your insubordination at these proceedings have rendered it null and void." He grinned down at her.

"I don't recall there being any such stipulations?" Xena growled.

"You should have read the fine print." He smiled as he played with her raven hair with his long sharp nails.

"I never signed anything." Xena retorted as she attempted to recoil from his revolting touch.

"Actually you did." Sauri smiled as she walked over to the altar carrying an old piece of parchment in her hands. She bent down and held it in front of Xena's face. "As you can see it clearly states that if you cause a disturbance of any kind then all hereto aforementioned agreements become party to committee which thus then becomes...."

"Details, don't bore us with the details." Pan sighed as he ran his fingernails down her neckline and towards her voluptuous cleavage. Oh she was magnificent.

Xena groaned inwardly and silently scolded herself. Never sign anything until you read it. She needed time to think. "Are all you're agreements founded on trickery?"

"Are you questioning my integrity?" He bellowed down at her.

"Excuse me!" Lynchia cried. "I hate to interrupt but can we proceed with the ritual please? Pan, the portal must begin its opening immediately or the window will be lost. We have no time for this!"

As Pan looked over at Lynchia Xena took this moment to swing round with her left fist but Pan caught it with lightening speed, squeezing her wrist hard, nearly breaking it. He smiled. "Oh she's a feisty one Lynchia. I like that in a woman. But she's yet to be prove herself, how can you guarantee me she'll survive?"

"You can always close it if she's not up to snuff, can't you, you are All Powerful and All Knowing after all. Are you not?" Lynchia smiled.

"I am indeed!" Pan spoke as his chest swelled visibly. " Begin the Opening of the Portal!" Pan cried as he raised his freed arm towards the sky. A blue lightening rod shot out through his extended hand and up towards the heavens. Black clouds began to swirl across the night sky as thunderous lightening bolts began to shoot down towards the temple's opening. A terrific wind swept across them and the candles threatened to extinguish.

*******

Cairne looked up from his fetal position. Clouds were spiraling towards a blackened center as if the heavens had inverted and the sea had become the sky. A terrible whirlpool had begun to emerge, lightening rods shooting from its center. This was not good. Not good at all. The portal was opening and the warrior woman was in trouble. Another wave of agonizing pain spread across him but he willed it away, yet again. He returned his thoughts to Xena and gathered what little strength he had left so that he could give of it to her.

*******

"Yah those devil eyes

Lord they stare right through me

Those devil eyes

Look right through me

Aww melt my soul down"

Devil Eyes

The blindfold lifted from Gabrielle's eyes and she stifled a scream though it would have mattered little as she was gagged tightly. A hideously grotesque demon that could only have been Pan had her lover pinned down on the altar. It took less than a millisecond for the possibilities to work themselves over in her mind. She was frantic. She pulled hard on her restraints to no avail. Her eyes traveled around the room and stopped at the shiny sword that lay on the ground not two feet from where she stood. It might have well been an ocean away for the good it would do her. She looked back at Xena who finally turned in her direction. The warrior tried to reassure her with her eyes which broke Gabrielle's heart right where she stood.

Pan leaned down grinning at the warrior. "There, there, my precious. Don't fret." He looked into her eyes.

Xena tried desperately to avoid his gaze but her head was guided, as if by force, and she met his burning red gaze with her own steel blues. She could feel herself slipping, ever gently away to nothingness and she raged against it. But it was so easy to forget everything, so easy to disappear and never return, so easy. And then a voice slid into her thoughts, the wall, Xena, the wall. It was Cairne and he was calling to her. Cairne, now how did she know Cairne, right, he was the man who was helping her and he was...why was she here again...? Right, to stop the evil that...threatened....those eyes were so red you could burn from them, so very red.

Lynchia turned to Sauri. "Prepare for the opening of the portal. Quick while he's busy."

"That's better. " Pan purred down at the warrior. "Wouldn't want to have to ruin that beautiful dress of yours now would we?"

Dress, the dress, the dress that someone had given her, she tried to focus, she is my...my...heart? Wait, no, my....Xena's eyes glazed over and she slipped away quietly but as she was almost his Cairne pushed her gently back. Your heart...she is your soul. He urged and Xena remembered. She is my Soul. Xena forced her head to turn away from his gaze and she caught sight of Gabrielle and she found an inner strength she didn't know she possessed. "She's using you, you know." She whispered as she found her voice.

"Excuse me?" Pan asked, his eyebrows arching in surprise. No one had ever managed to speak before.

"Lynchia thinks you're a fool." Xena said quietly as her head was once again forced back towards him. She is my Heart.

"How dare you speak such things." He growled as he closed his powerful hand around her neck in a gesture of warning.

"She says your not smart enough for Mount Oylmpus....not good enough for Zeus's temple..." Xena choked. She is my Soul.

Lynchia had been busy guiding the women into place for the arrival of the portal when she overheard the conversation behind her. Her eyes became slits as she turned towards the altar.

Pan squeezed harder on Xena's neck and she gasped trying to draw in air. "You lie!"

"Why don't you ask her yourself." Xena gasped as she once again began to see stars from lack of air to her lungs. Concentrate. Focus, concentrate. She is my Heart.

"Don't listen to her Pan. She's stalling!" Lynchia growled as she stepped over to the altar.

Pan looked Lynchia up and down as if studying her. "You would be nothing without me." He spat.

"Of course, your lordship, er Lordship. This is true." Lynchia bowed to him. Hades she didn't have time for this now!

"She plans... to squish you like an insect once she's gained the powers of ...the Old Ones." Xena said between gasps.

Pan whipped his head round within inches of Xena's. "SILENCE!" He spat. He turned back to Lynchia. "Is this TRUE?"

"Of course not...don't be stup.....I mean..riduculous....no." Lynchia stammered careful to avoid his piercing gaze.

"What are you plans exactly? Pan asked quietly peering down at Lynchia's kneeling form.

Gabrielle watched all this transpire in awe. Xena never ceased to amaze her. Then her eye caught movement above her and she looked through the opening in the temple to see a funnel spiraling down towards her. It was a swirl of air with a deep blackness as its center that grew closer with each passing second. As it neared her she thought she could see shapes writhing in and out of the darkness, horribly slick and grotesque though she had no earthly reference in which to measure such a thing. Oh boy, they were in deep this time.

"Look! The Portal! It's arriving!" Lynchia cried pointing upwards toward the temple opening. The wind was whipping incredibly now and everyone had to hold down their ceremonial robes or they would fly right off. Amazingly, the candles continued to burn though they should have long since expired. "We must get in position!"

"Answer my question Lynchia." Pan growled as his hand instinctively gripped Xena's neck harder in anger. Her eyes were starting to bulge from the pressure.

Lynchia looked over as she tried to pull her hair from her face that was spilling over it from the gale force that preceded the portal. By the furkin gods. "Alright then." She sighed. "I was going to surprise you but now that you've forced my hand, I guess I'll have to tell you."

"Surprise me?" Pan said. "I do like surprises."

"It's a trick." Xena gasped trying to swallow and suck in air at the same time. It was near impossible. But at least he was preoccupied for the moment. If she could only get to the sword on the floor she would have arrived. Hades she should have packed the breast dagger. Damn dress.

"A trick!" Pan cried and leered further over the altar towards Lynchia. "Tell me now or die." He spat a warning.

"Fine." Lynchia quipped. "I was planning a collaboration thing, just you and I, take on the universe together...I think we'd make an unstoppable team."

Sauri looked over with widened eyes. "Excuse me, I thought you said WE were going to make an unstoppable team?!"

Lynchia cringed and looked towards Sauri. "Xnay on the xnay." She whispered through gritted teeth. By the gods! She was working with morons. She looked back at Pan who appeared to be thinking far harder than he was capable of.

"Why do I need you once I have Xena's soul?" He leered down at her. "She's far more powerful than you'll ever be. But without the smoke and mirrors."

Lynchia was livid. How dare he? How dare he?!! "How dare you!", She cried getting up from her kneeling position and meeting his challenge face to face.

Pan let go of Xena's neck and turned his attention to Lynchia. "How dare I??? HOW DARE YOU DARE I!!!" He bellowed.

Finally, Xena had her break. She lunged up shoving Pan backwards just enough for him to lose his balance and topple, wide eyed, over the side, and taking one of the golden eagles with him. Her legs were freed and she rolled off the altar landing inches from the sword, picked it up on her way by and popping up in front of Gabrielle and the coven women. She jumped up kicking them aside while simultaneously whipping the bard around and cutting her binds free. All this transpired in the split second it took for Pan to land hard onto the stone floor.

But he was on his hooves in an instant and shaking with fury. He reached for his flute but it wasn't where it should be. He looked down at the ground and there it was busted into tiny pieces. His eyes widened and then narrowed as he turned towards the warrior woman. "YOU!!....busted my FLUTE!!!!" He cried and pointed out his arm and a blue lightening bolt shot towards her.

Continued - Part 6

Back To Main XIP Fan Fiction Page