Chakram

by Aurelia

See Chapter 1 for Disclaimers.

Chapter 6

The overnight rain had given away to bright sunshine as Gabrielle awoke to an empty bed. She had quickly become accustomed to being snuggled up against Xena, who often woke up before her but stayed in bed until Gabrielle was awake as well. It felt strange to be alone. She knew this was a feeling she was going to have to get used to, despite how much she hated it.

She had known this woman only a few short weeks and already she was unable to sleep without that heartbeat drumming slowly in her ear. She realized she was not going to be able function without her from now on. It would be like missing an arm, a leg… or a heart – she would not be complete without her.

 

 

Gabrielle gave Xena some space to get herself ready for their journey, seeking Marina’s help to pack up their camp. She knew that it was as much mental preparation as it was the donning of her armour and weapons.

Xena emerged from the forest in her new leathers and armour, standing there like one of those bronze statues of Rome’s heroes. This was how she pictured her partner, a larger-than-life hero.

"Wow!" Gabrielle expressed her appreciation of the new clothes.

"Yeah, not bad." Xena had been secretly impressed with the Roman’s work.

"Makes you look… bigger."

"Bigger? That’s all I need. Aren’t I big enough already?"

"Pretty impressive, Xena. Where did the pattern come from?" She reached out and ran her fingers over the embossed pattern on the armour, following the contours of the woman’s body. A hand wound behind her and pulled her in. They didn’t have time for this, but damn she was so sexy in all this leather. Gabrielle pulled the dark head in to share a warm, wet kiss that was slow and full of promise.

Xena cleared her throat. "I had seen something similar a long time ago." Xena felt a touch of remorse as she remembered back to her days on the high seas. She had grown rather fond of a young girl who had stowed away, and despite their language difficulties, they had found other ways to communicate.

Guilt crashed down on her as she watched Gabrielle’s eye glow with unfulfilled desire. She’s looking at me that way and I’m thinking of a long-lost love. Don’t do this, Xena. Here is the person you will share your life with.

She had always wondered what had happened to that young foreigner who had wormed her way into a cold woman’s heart. Who had taught her many things about life… and love; who had taught her "the pinch" with a certain amount of trepidation but had trusted Xena not to kill her. Caesar had separated them so she had no idea if the girl had survived or not. Don’t dwell on it. Let the past stay in the past.

After a moment, Xena continued, "I described it to the armourer and this was what he came up with. I rather like it."

Gabrielle felt her heart do flip-flops looking at this woman who now showed her another facet of herself. The warrior. Everyone loves a warrior, right? Oh yeah, very sexy.

Xena took in the look of admiration and preened under her partner’s intent gaze. She sighed. "No point putting this off. We ready to go?"

Gabrielle sadly looked around what had been their home for the last few days, fondly remembering it as a special moment in their lives. Maybe when this was all over they could find another beach somewhere and try to re-capture this wonderful feeling…

"Yeah." But she sounded less than enthusiastic. They grabbed their packs and slowly began their journey, struggling with each step. Gabrielle had her staff with her and Xena was pleased to see her little reed dolly peeking out of Marina’s backpack.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

They had only moved half a dozen steps before four men stepped out from the thick undergrowth of the forest, one or two whom she recognised from the ship they had been on. They were dishevelled and their demeanour was serious. Xena looked them over with distaste. Only four? The amount of noise they were making, I thought there were more.

The designated leader of this rough group spoke with menace. "Don’t give us trouble, Xena. We just want your supplies."

"Now why should I just hand them over to you?" She would have willingly given it to them if they had asked, but since they were demanding it, well… well that was different.

"Because we outnumber you and I really don’t want to have to kill you."

Both Xena and Gabrielle couldn’t help but laugh at the threat. They obviously hadn’t heard of her, not that it would have mattered in Xena’s mind. This battle was over before she had even removed her sword from the scabbard on her back.

"You think so? I think you overestimate your chances there, Acacius."

The leader became decidedly nervous now that Xena spoke his name. It was like marking him as a target.

"Oh, yes. I know your name," she purred. "And Nikomedes, behind you. I make sure I know my enemies." Nothing escaped her on the ship, and these two were sexual predators of the highest order. It took all her willpower not to rip their hearts out when then openly ogled Gabrielle during the voyage.

There was furious shuffling and shifting of weapons. Acacius’ fist tightened on his weapon, the long scar on his forearm stood out in bold relief from the tension.

There was a whisper on the wind as Xena’s sword slid out of its safe haven, the sun glinting off the newly sharpened weapon. She twirled the sword in a show of manual dexterity, causing the sailors to look at each other in dismay. Hesitation and uncertainty had now replaced the confidence and arrogance that had been present just a moment before.

"Xena!" Gabrielle’s cry alerted her to movement behind her. Keeping the four men in front of her she shifted to take in the younger woman in her peripheral vision.

Two more men had arrived and were slowly moving in on her partner and her child. What had started as an exercise had now turned deadly.

She spoke to Acacius. "You leave her out of this or I will take each and every one of you apart." Her voice dropped to its lowest register, the vibration tickling their eardrums.

Acacius, seeing they were six to her one, re-gained his confidence. "Oh no, Xena. That little blonde is an added bonus. The six of us and her; just the thing to while away the hours."

Wrong thing to say…

Gabrielle watched the transformation and it scared her. With each step towards her adversaries, Xena shed her gentler self, taking on a hardness and determination Gabrielle hadn’t seen before. The woman fairly exuded an air of menace. She was going to have to get Marina away from this before she saw too much, but she had problems of her own. Two desperate men moved deliberately towards her. "Xena!"

"Just like I showed you, Gabrielle. It’s just you. Do it!"

Uncertainly, she brought up her staff, preparing herself for the first strike. Keep it simple, Gabrielle.

Surprisingly, her block held, the sword sliding off her staff and to the side. She was pleased with herself but had to line herself again quickly for the next strike. She knew she was in trouble because they would keep hitting her while she just defended. Xena had four men to defeat, so she was on her own and had to protect Marina.

Memories of all those years of holding back pounded in her head. While she hesitated, one of her two attackers started to move around her towards Marina. "Nooo!" It was the danger to Marina that galvanized her attack. Her staff was swung with purpose and great strength, and before she had time to think, both men were unconscious on the ground.

Xena kept the four men in front of her at arm’s distance, not engaging them seriously while Gabrielle was in danger. She heard the two loud thwacks from the staff, followed by the dull thuds of two bodies hitting the ground, and breathed a sigh of relief. She wasn’t sure whether the imminent danger would set off Gabrielle’s self-preservation instincts, but she was glad to hear the obvious results.

"Gabrielle? Take Marina out of sight." Don’t let her see this, please.

"Let me know when you’re finished."

"This won’t take long." She now turned her full attention to the four hapless victims in front of her. "You should have checked up on me, Acacius. If you had, you wouldn’t even be trying this."

"Stop talking, Xena. Let’s get this over with. I’m in the mood for a blonde."

The colour in her sky blue eyes slowly drained away, to be replaced by the palest of pale blue, ice cold and hard like their owner. "Over my dead body, Acacius. Give my regards to Hades." She moved in quickly, engaging the leader in solid swordplay. In a matter of moments, she had disarmed him and powered through a stroke to remove his head from his shoulders.

The three remaining sailors stepped back in awe. "Who are you?"

"Now you ask? I was the Champion of Rome, you idiots." Without another word, they dropped their swords and ran off, not looking back at any time.

Xena stood for a moment, letting the adrenaline flowing through her to run its course. She surveyed the carnage left behind. What a waste. Had they waited until she had left they could have had it all… except for Gabrielle, of course. No one could have her except the one she had chosen. Lucky me.

She wiped her sword on the dead man’s clothing, having trouble sheathing it. Had it been that long since she had her own weapons? Damn, it used to be easier than this.

Gathering her belongings she headed down the beach, detouring into the bushes to gather her family. She kept herself between Marina and the view back towards their shelter, not wanting the child to see the results of her actions. There were some things she still wanted to preserve in her daughter.

 

* * * * * * * * * * *

 

They reached the head of the path just before midday and decided to stop to eat before moving off into unknown territory. Lunch was a sombre affair, each of them emersed in their own thoughts.

Xena could see that Gabrielle was upset. "Gabrielle, you did the right thing. You’ve done well."

The young woman looked at her still-shaking hands. I don’t know if I can get used to this. "I know I had to do it, Xena, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. I could have killed both of them."

"But you didn’t. If you hadn’t stepped in, Marina could have been killed. You saved her life and I thank you."

The praise elicited a small smile from the blonde. "You’re welcome," she whispered, looking shyly up at her partner through long lashes.

Xena felt a lurch in her chest. Damn! How does she do that?

"C’mon. Let’s go." The tall woman offered a hand and Gabrielle grabbed it, being physically pulled to her feet with negligent ease. "Marina, honey, let’s go for a walk." Xena quietly slipped a tattered piece of parchment into Gabrielle’s hand. Before she could ask, Xena replied, "It’s a note for my mother, if you meet her."

Gabrielle smiled at her quizzically. "Don’t ask. If something happens and you get the opportunity, give it to her for me, alright? I want Marina safe and sound at home."

Storm clouds gathered in those young eyes, pale green darkening to deep jade, holding a question Xena was loathe to answer. "Just remember I love you, Gabrielle, with all my heart."

I hate this, I really hate this. She may just be taking precautions, but Gabrielle could feel Xena slipping away from her. She was losing her gentle lover to the warrior, and while she knew that she needed that to be successful, it was like losing part of her soul.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

The path wound gently towards the centre of the island, and was easy and comfortable to traverse. They made good time and found a small clearing to set up a shelter for the night. Xena afforded them a small fire and they hunkered around it to absorb the little warmth it gave.

The stars overhead were barely visible through the overhanging trees. "That one looks like a goat," she whispered.

"You say something?"

She sighed and looked over at the sad green eyes watching her. "No… nothing." She cried inside for the loss of those early days when their love was young and innocent. Those days were now gone.

 

By mid-morning the next day, Xena was mentally on edge, sensing her travelling companions were getting decidedly nervous.

She felt a displacement of air and the fine hairs on her skin all stood up on end. About time…

A deep chuckle bounced around the forest before the air in front of them shifted and swirled. A barely visible form twisted and turned until it solidified into a giant of a man, topping Xena’s height by a full head.

Seeing them together, Gabrielle could swear that they were related. Both dressed in black leather, their demeanor exuded confidence and sensuality. Their hawk-like features hinted of a similar parentage but Gabrielle knew that to be wrong. Still, if she didn’t know better…

"Well, hello, there sweet cheeks. Where have you been?" Ares ignored everyone else.

"In Rome, Ares. Not that you helped. And it makes me wonder how you got us here."

"Well, I called in a favour from my uncle."

"It’s good to have relatives, eh Ares? Let’s cut to the chase. What do you want?"

"Xena, I’m hurt. Can’t I say hello to my favourite mortal gal?"

An elegant eyebrow raised in disbelief. "Alright. Now that you’re back home, I want you back in the fold."

"Not interested, Ares. I have a family now."

The tall tod finally turned his attention to the two remaining members of the party and seemed unimpressed. He turned his attention back to the one person who held his interest. "Tell you what I’ll do – you help me and I’ll help you."

"I’m listening". She saw out of the corner of her eye Gabrielle moving towards her and she held up her hand. "What’s the deal?"

"I’ll send these two home if you go on a little errand for me."

"Errand? What kind of errand?"

"Just a small one. There is a temple along this pathway and inside is a weapon, a chakram. Just go in and bring it to me."

"That’s it?"

"Yep, that’s it."

"What’s the catch?"

"What makes you think there’s a catch?"

"With you, Ares, there’s always a catch. Besides, we were going home before you interfered. You manipulated this situation to your own benefit. Why should I help you?"

"Because I can send these two anywhere in Greece if I want to. Don’t push me, Xena." The air crackled around the dark-haired god as his temper rose. Sparks rippled along his skin, charging the air with static, and his dark eyes took on a fiery glow.

Marina started to cry and buried her head in Xena’s chest. The warrior gave Ares an outraged look. "Look what you’ve done, Ares. You upset her."

"Like I care. Do this, Xena, or you will live to regret your decision."

Gabrielle had finally had enough. "Now you listen. I don’t care who you are! She said butt out, so just leave."

"Now, listen here blondie. You are this close to being a small pile of ash."

"Yeah, you and whose army?"

He raised his hand and a small ball of energy began to form. Xena stepped in between them and he stopped his attack. "Send them home." Xena said quietly, her deep voice cutting through the cacophony of sound.

"No, Xena, I am NOT going to Amphipolis alone, you hear me? I refuse to go to that place without you." Damn you, Xena, you knew this was going to happen, didn’t you? You give me a note for your mother in case - why didn’t I see that coming?

Both Gabrielle and Marina faded out, leaving Xena and Ares alone. The silence was deafening. Now she could concentrate on getting herself out of this mess.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Damn. Damn. Damn. The queasy feeling left her unsteady on her feet. Gabrielle reached over and picked up the fallen Marina. They were in farmland district and it looked hauntingly familiar. She pulled the child into a gentle hug.

"Gabby, where’s mama?" Marina was frightened when that man just appeared out of the air.

"Your mama will be alright. C’mon let’s get you home." Gabrielle tried to sound confident but she was fooling no one, least of all herself. Standing, she grabbed the small hand and they began walking down the path to a nearby village.

They stopped, spotting a farmer tending his field, and called, "Excuse me, sir, but what village is this?"

"Amphipolis, young woman."

"Thank you." At least he put them down in the right place. He could very well have sent them to the far corner of Greece. Alone and without protection they would have been easy prey for local bands of brigands. Small mercies.

"Can you tell me where the inn is, kind sir?"

He left his work and came over to her. He pointed down the path, "See that large building there with smoke out the chimney? That’s Cyrene’s place."

"Thank you again." So, Xena’s mother still lived. She only hoped that she would be as friendly as this farmer was…

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

"Now we’re alone, what do you really want, Ares?"

"I told you what I want, Xena. I want you in front of an army scouring the countryside in my name. You remember what that was like, don’t you? All that lovely killing and maiming." His voice was like dark honey, and he moved closer to her so she could feel the lure of his power. Like old times.

This was the link that they shared like no one else; a common bond in blood, death and glory. He let the seductive pull of his power stretch out to encompass them both and she felt the full dark power of the God of War flow through her. It was intoxicating and pulsed in time with her own heartbeat.

It scared her that it was so easy to fall back into the warm pool of his attraction. This was going to be harder to resist than she had at first thought. The last ten years passed away as if they never existed.

She struggled to speak. "S... so…so why do you need this chakram?"

"With this weapon, civilizations will fall to you. We can share the world. The world, Xena." His voice remained low and hypnotic.

"I thought this chakram was for you."

"In your hands, Xena, and in my name, it will be mine. As you will be."

Chapter 7

As they approached the aged building, Gabrielle looked around the birthplace of her partner. It was like many other small townships, including her own, where everyone knew everyone else and there were no secrets. Pairs of eyes watched their arrival and she knew the rumour mills would be starting soon about the mysterious strangers arriving at Cyrene’s inn.

She had no idea what to say to this woman. What can one say? Hello, my name is Gabrielle. By the way here is your granddaughter. The one thing in her favour was that the child looked a lot like Xena and would hopefully aid her case in convincing the woman of the truth of her statement.

It was lunch hour and business was brisk. They found an empty table and sat down. Gabrielle searched through her belongings for the small pouch Xena had given her and extracted a couple of coins for lunch for both of them.

While waiting for their meal to arrive, she found the piece of parchment. Her curiosity got the better of her and she read Xena’s message to her mother:

Mother,

This is my partner, Gabrielle, who is in need of a friend right now. The child is my daughter - your granddaughter, mother.

Please look after them until my return. I love you.

X.

She studied the bold script and the message it delivered. A woman of middling height, weary with age and long hours of work, brought two plates of steaming stew to their table. Gabrielle was about to speak when she looked into bright blue eyes, so reminiscent of one so dear to her.

"Your name wouldn’t happen to be Cyrene, would it?"

"Yes. Can I help you?"

"Do you have a moment to talk?’

The older woman wiped her hands on her apron and took a seat. Cyrene asked the serving maid to bring drinks, and the ale proved to be cold and very tasty, quenching her dry throat.

"Now, what is it that you have to discuss with me? "

"Gabrielle."

"Gabrielle. What do you want?"

"I don’t know where to start. I… " Her voice faltered and she handed over the parchment. Her eyes never wavered from the older woman as she read the note, watching the face darken with astonishment, concern and then finally anger. "Is this some kind of joke?"

"No. No, it’s no joke. I… "

"Get out. I don’t appreciate this kind of sick humour."

"I’m not lying. Look at the child."

Cyrene’s eyes turned to the youngster sitting quietly next to the young woman. She gasped. It was like time had turned back twenty years. Here was Xena all over again. "It’s true?" Gabrielle just nodded.

Gabrielle had to move quickly as it looked like Cyrene was about to faint. She grabbed the older woman’s arm, supporting her until her balance returned.

"Oh my." Oh my, indeed.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Xena managed to put some space between her and Ares. His seductive power, while still pulsing in the background, lessened with distance. Her resolve, for the moment, was in disarray under the onslaught of his presence. She sat quietly while trying to rally her defences to fight this.

She drew on her memories of Gabrielle, looking for that elusive peace she managed to find when she was with the young woman. Remembering back to the night before on the beach, when she had felt that ethereal calm in her soul, she felt her body steady.

I have to get away from this.

Gathering her belongings, she walked down the path towards the temple. Ares appeared at her side. "So, you’ve agreed then. We will be so good together, Xena."

"Leave me alone, Ares."

"Don’t fight it. You won’t win."

She turned to face him. "Is that what you want, Ares? A puppet?"

"And what a beautiful puppet you would make, Xena. But no, I want your fire and your guile, it’s what makes you so unique. Don’t you realize that I am as much drawn to you as you are to me?"

"Come on, Ares. Don’t sweet talk me. I’ve been killing for the last ten years. I just want some peace and quiet with Gabrielle and Marina for a while."

Ares’ eyes closed involuntarily at the thought of Xena in full battle cry. His mind filled with images of her dark hair flying and blue eyes flashing as her muscular body flexed and bunched, her bloodied sword held in a velvet-like grip, swirling overhead and removing the head from her opponent’s shoulders. He could nearly smell her battle lust.

He couldn’t stop the groan that escaped his full lips. Slowly he opened his eyes, letting his gaze brazenly wander over the lithe form standing in front of him. Her long legs were on full display in the short battle dress that snugly fit her muscular figure, accentuating every dip and curve of her body. If it was possible, she had grown even more beautiful with age.

"Why do you want to waste away in some backwater of a home with blondie? You were meant for so much more, Xena. The world is there for those who are prepared to take it."

"What would I do with the world?"

"Rule it in my name, Xena. Have you forgotten so quickly that feeling of utter control? To have your every whim fulfilled? To crush anyone who defies your will? I seem to remember that you enjoyed that part in particular. "

"You just don’t get it, do you? I may have wanted it a long time ago, but those days are past. I have everything I want and you don’t figure in it."

"It’s her, isn’t it?" I should have gotten rid of her.

"Her name is Gabrielle. And, yes it is. But before you do anything rash – if you so much as touch a hair on her head, I’ll hunt you down."

Ares looked deep into those familiar blue eyes and knew Xena had just made a promise. "Alright, she’s safe from me."

"I will get your damn chakram. After that, we are finished." With her final word, she walked away.

That’s what you think, Xena.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

"How did this happen?"

Gabrielle raised her eyebrow.

"No. I know how this happened. But how did it happen?" Cyrene was not making much sense.

"I met Xena in Rome. She had been captured by Julius Caesar ten years before and was sent to Rome to become a gladiator. It took her all those years to gain her freedom and find her child."

Gabrielle knew the next question even before she asked it. "The father is Caesar."

"Oh my." Cyrene’s brain had given up trying to formulate sentences any more. The revelations this young woman unfolded to her were taking away any rational thought she had left. It was just all too unbelievable, but here was the physical proof of her story.

She watched the child, who had snuggled in close to the blonde’s side, and could not believe it. Here, she thought her daughter long dead so many years ago. Now, she found that not only had her daughter survived, but that she had now become a grandmother.

"Can we at least get a room in your inn?" Gabrielle reached for the hidden pouch and was stopped.

"No need. You are family. Come with me and we’ll get you settled in. We will need to talk some more once you’ve had a rest." She turned her attention to Marina. "And you, little one, I will get to know you better as well." She kneeled stiffly. "And you are…"

"Marina." Gabrielle answered.

"Marina. Such a pretty name. And you, Marina… I am your grandmother, sweetie. I am your mother’s mother."

"Grandma? Where’s mama?" Marina’s plaintive cry tore into her grandmother’s heart. Cyrene looked up to the waiting Gabrielle.

"She’s with Ares, honey." Cyrene’s eyebrows disappeared into her hairline.

"We were on our way home when our ship was shipwrecked. Ares is trying to claim her back." The older woman pursed her lips, angry about the news.

"I’m not about to let that happen." There was a steely tone to Gabrielle’s voice that caused the older woman to look up. Gabrielle glanced at Marina then back to Xena’s mother. We will talk later.

 

 

Gabrielle and Marina had been shown to Cyrene’s best room, which was bright and cheery. It was all so different from Rome. Where Antillia’s home screamed opulence, Cyrene’s inn exuded an air of country comfort. The furniture was well made and sturdy, built for practical use rather that ostentation. A bedspread of natural hues covered a soft downy mattress. In the corner stood a half-barrel, which substituted for a bath. Nearby, several buckets warmed by the fire, ready for use.

Gabrielle liked it. It was like home as she remembered it and she felt a forgotten urge to see her family again. But she had made a silent promise to herself not to go without Xena, because without her warrior her home wouldn’t be complete.

The room seemed positively decadent after the last few days sleeping under the stars. Marina fell asleep within minutes of laying her head on the soft pillow, and Gabrielle had her first hot bath in weeks.

Warm water glided over her sun-kissed skin, soaking away the aches and pains of a difficult few days. Her mind wandered to Xena, silently wishing that she was here with her. She closed her eyes and could almost feel the soft caress of roughened fingers sliding over her skin, finding all those hidden spots that elicited a response from her.

Reluctantly, she opened her eyes to find herself alone. Her thoughts turned to her partner who was hundreds of leagues and a different dimension away. I’m coming, Xena, hold on.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Xena trudged on towards her goal, glad for the respite from Ares. She now had time to take in the countryside around her and start to formulate a plan. She glanced down to her arm and she stopped dead in her tracks. The scar from the recent arrow wound had disappeared, as had the recent gash on her leg. Instinctively, she reached for her back and found unblemished skin. What happened?

Her contact with Ares had been an intense one, her senses overwhelmed in an orgy of dark power. She now suspected that he had used some of his power to influence her, a side effect being the healing of her body. Taking some solace from the fact that it took more than just his charisma to affect her, Xena’s steps took on a lighter tone. Things were not so dark anymore and her return to Ares’ fold was no longer inevitable. Now, one more step towards her goal was one more step towards Gabrielle.

 

The forest had started to thin out and the deathly quiet grated on her nerves. Xena sensed the danger before she saw it and was ready with sword drawn. Strange birds circled above, eyeing her with intent. She stood her ground not knowing what to expect. Feathers rained down from the sky, their sharp points piercing her skin.

Backing into the shadows of the overhead trees, she knew she was cornered. Without going back, her path was now a gauntlet to the next set of trees. Between her and protection on the other side was an open piece of ground and a bridge fording a stream.

She studied the creatures hovering above for a while, deciding on her next course of action. The birds were not like anything she had seen before. They were reminiscent of large vultures but were less hideous in appearance. Their wing span easily surpassed her body length and they glided effortlessly around in circles above her, barely using any of the impressive strength in those large wings. Their colour was not quite black but more vibrant midnight blue, the sun shimmering across the feathers, making them seem barely visible.

She unslung her bow and nocked an arrow. Pulling the string back, she aimed for the underbelly of one of the flying beasts and released it. The arrow flew true to its target and brought it down not far from her. She could see there were more birds than she had arrows for, so an alternate plan would be needed.

As she contemplated her next move, she noticed that the deadly missiles stuck into the carcass of the downed bird but bounced off its feathers. Bracing herself for the onslaught, she ran to the massive bird and dragged it back under cover.

The plumage of the large bird was actually quite beautiful. The feathers were dark, but held a golden hue and seemed to vibrate in the sunlight, sending colours dancing in a rainbow overhead.

Xena tried to remove one and cut her hand. She studied the feathers more closely. The surface was soft to the touch but they had razor-sharp edges. She gave the problem long thought and emptied her backpack in the hope of finding a solution.

Sifting through the contents, Xena had a revelation. This bag held the last ten years of her life and she took a moment to reflect on it. Besides the medallion from the Roman Senate, she had a couple of small items that belonged to Antillia. She could not leave Rome without a memento or two of her adopted mother. A signet ring, bearing the crest of Antillia’s family, held special significance. The older woman wore the ring constantly and it was the sigil that sealed her release from bondage. The only other item she allowed herself to take was a necklace that was a special favourite of her benefactor. Maybe one day she’d go back to pay her respects properly.

Her hand rested on some aged leather. Ahhh… This, if nothing else, was the one piece that had defined her over the last ten years - her gladiator attire. The miniscule costume had become a second skin over the years, and her fingers warmed to the soft leather like an old friend.

She had, at one point, thought about getting rid of it but Gabrielle stopped her. When she questioned it, the small blonde leant over and whispered in her ear. Now, she would die first before getting rid of it, waiting for the day when Gabrielle would fulfil the promise she had made. Oh yeah… Xena’s mind filled with images of hedonistic pleasure and fantasy play. Her body reacted with a jolt at the thought of what that small woman would do to her.

C’mon, Xena, back to business. There was really nothing in her pack useful for extracting the feathers. What she really needed was a pair of blacksmith’s pliers. She had no metal except what was in her armour. With that thought in mind, she looked down and found what she was looking for. Detaching a couple of the smaller plates, she used them to grab the feather, sandwiching it in between them.

As quickly and carefully as she could, she plucked its feathers, repeating the exercise until she had a small pile of them next to her. Gathering branches, she made herself a crude shield, weaving the collected feathers into its surface. She re-attached her armour pieces with bloodied fingers.

By now, the air was thick with flying feathers, all trying to find her. Raising the shield overhead, Xena made her way over the open ground steadily and quickly, trying to keep as much of herself under the protection of the makeshift covering.

The air fairly sung with the sound of flying projectiles whizzing around the sky. If it was possible, the number of feathered arrows increased, and some of the birds resorted to diving at her in a suicide mission to stop her at all costs.

She was dodging backwards and forwards, trying to keep her path irregular and unpredictable. Birds of huge size crashed into the ground, their feathers brushing her legs and leaving cuts in their wake. She reached the bridge and had no choice but to run in a straight line.

It was a matter of hurdling downed birds as they tried to block her path. Her goal was only a few steps away and she ran as fast as her long legs would carry her, ignoring the searing pain from a number of wounds.

As she reached the safe haven of a grove of trees, the attack stopped. She slid down a tree trunk, pulling in great gulps of air as her stressed body cried out for rest. Her body was a mass of nicks and cuts from the feathers, her damaged hands barely able to hold her sword. A godly chuckle echoed around the forest.

"Is this some sort of sick game, Ares?" she called out to empty air.

A disembodied voice answered, "I gotta see if you still have it, Xena. I’m glad to see you didn’t disappoint me."

"What in Hades were those birds?"

"Just some little pets of mine, Xena. They’re called Ornithes Areos. I borrowed them from my shrine in the Black Sea."

"Hope you enjoyed the show," she mumbled before closing her eyes in exhaustion.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Gabrielle could not put off any longer the long talk she knew was coming with Xena’s mother. Leaving Marina in easy slumber in their room, she sought out Cyrene.

"Are you rested now, my dear?"

"Yes, thank you. The bath was wonderful."

Cyrene steered her to a quiet corner of the inn, away from prying eyes and ears. Over herb tea, Gabrielle filled in Xena’s mother with what she had been told herself, leaving out the more unsavoury aspects of the history for Xena to tell herself if she felt the need.

"So, how does she look?" Cyrene’s memory held an image of a fifteen summer-old adolescent, all arms and legs, with a fiery disposition and an impetuous nature.

"Good. Very good." Gabrielle’s eyes held a hidden glow that was not missed by the older woman. So…

"She has grown into a very beautiful woman, Cyrene. She’s very determined when she needs to be, but she is also very generous and loving. Despite her checkered history, she has a noble spirit, which all of Rome can attest to. She was the beloved Champion of Rome, the people’s choice. She fought with great honour and was respected by all, including the Roman Senate."

Cyrene listened with pride, glad that despite the anger she had left home with, Xena had found herself again. She studied the young woman in front of her, seeing age beyond her physical years in those pale green eyes.

"And what’s your tale, Gabrielle?"

Gabrielle hadn’t wanted to answer at first, but she knew this would be the first of many requests for her story. A bard, didn’t the seer say?

"I come from a small farming community near here – Potadeia." Cyrene nodded. "About two summers ago, the warlord Draco swept through and took some of us as slaves. After a while, I ended up in Rome."

Her mind relived those months of horror, especially at the beginning. She was inexperienced and untouched and her first time was memorable for all the wrong reasons, in the service of a man who used her and left her alone, broken by shattered dreams and harsh realities.

She had eventually managed to flee from his clutches but was soon again on the block, marked as a troublemaker for escaping, to be sold to a more amenable master. But inside she had shrivelled up, no longer the bright, lively youngster who had a joy for life envied by all her friends. She had died inside – until Xena. If nothing else, she would be forever grateful to the gods for sending Xena to her. It was like she had been born again.

"I was on the slave trader’s block, when this woman came up to inspect me. She was so tall I had to strain my neck to look up. I looked into those blue eyes and..." How much do I reveal? She saw the quiet look of understanding in those familiar blue eyes. "And I was lost. It was like she touched something deep within my soul."

"I think she felt the same way because the next thing I knew I had been bought. That brought me into the service of a wealthy patrician named Antillia Maxima. She was Xena’s mistress. I had to admit I thought it was a little strange that a woman had bought me, because…" Gabrielle blushed. Admitting to a stranger what she had been was hard. She hung her head. "I’m usually bought by men."

An aged hand enveloped her own, giving it a gentle squeeze. Tear-filled eyes lifted to meet her partner’s mother. "I was a body slave, Cyrene." She was mortified at finally voicing her deepest shame. A hand held her chin, forcing her eyes up.

"You have nothing to hang your head about, Gabrielle. You had no say in what was going on and had to do what you had to do to survive."

"I hope my parents are as understanding as you are."

"Well, if they’re not, then they should be ashamed of themselves." A warm hand came up and patted her cheek, a smile appearing on Cyrene’s thoughtful face. She gave Cyrene an answering smile, releasing a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Xena opened her eyes some time later. It was late afternoon and she would need to find shelter soon. Looking down at her hands, she saw that they had already begun to heal. Ares’ power was still helping her. She hated using his gifts, but perversely she hoped it would be permanent. Quick healing would be a big advantage in the warrior business. She quietly chuckled. She was already thinking of herself in the terms of the seer. A warrior. A warrior and her bard, wasn’t that what the seer had said?

It sounded really appealing. Maybe she should encourage Gabrielle to start telling stories, perhaps to Marina to start with… Marina. What is to happen to her? A warrior and her bard was one thing but a warrior, her bard, and her child was another dangerous thing altogether.

While munching her dried dinner, Xena contemplated her future. Six moons ago, she didn’t think she had a future. Now she had a family - her partner and her child. Would she be content to make her home in Amphipolis or would the road call to her? Would Gabrielle go with her? What to do about Marina? So many questions with so few answers.

First things first though. She had to take Gabrielle home to her parents, if they were still alive. What if she wanted to stay? She felt a twisting in her guts at the thought of her partner staying in Potadeia. Her soul let out a lonely howl, looking for an answering call from its other half.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Back in her room, Gabrielle lay quietly waiting for Marina to wake. She felt a tugging in her heart and her thoughts turned to her missing partner. What are you up to, Xena? She closed her eyes and her mind’s eye painted a picture of her brave warrior, alone and unguarded against the God of War. You can’t have her Ares, she’s mine!

She could feel her anger rise at the thought of her being at the mercy of Ares. Xena was there alone to fend off his immortal advances… Ares would use every godly trick in the book to sway her partner back to his fold. Gabrielle knew Xena needed her help, but first she had to get back to the island.

Her only hope of getting back to Xena was to plead her case to a god. But the caprices of the gods were well known, so finding one that would answer her prayers, let alone agree to help her, would be nearly non-existent, but she had to try.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Before leaving, Xena salvaged some more feathers from the dead birds, not wanting to waste the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of getting a supply of something of such high value. Storing them in her bag would slice it to bits, so she resorted to tying one of Gabrielle’s bowstrings around the quills, hanging them off a pole to avoid the deadly sharp edges. It was awkward to carry but she would manage for this rare prize.

After another hour of travel, Xena decided to camp in a small, secluded glade off the main track. Ares had left her alone and she felt a deep loneliness, wishing for the company of the one person her heart wanted. She tried playing the star game but it was not the same any more, not without her little blonde. Wrapped in a weather-beaten blanket, Xena could nearly hear the soft burr of her partner’s voice arguing over what a constellation looked like as she drifted off to sleep.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Gabrielle tried to be polite during dinner but a quiet depression had set over her since her afternoon rest. She wanted nothing more than to be wrapped up in the loving warmth of her warrior; to feel that steady heartbeat under her cheek and hear the low rumbling of that voice that flowed over her like warm honey.

She looked up into the concerned eyes of Cyrene. "I’m going to bed. Marina, honey, you can stay up for a while to get to know your grandma. Good night."

Cyrene followed her up the stairs to her room.

"Gabrielle, are you alright?"

"Yeah. Just worried I guess. I have a bit of a headache."

"Well, get some rest then, child. I’ll put Marina to bed in a little while."

"Thank you Cyrene, for everything. For taking us in and accepting Marina. Xena will appreciate the effort you have taken."

"No effort at all, my dear. I can see she is my grandchild. It’s like seeing Xena all over again."

"She looks like Xena?"

"The spitting image. Not as rambunctious as my little scamp, but she’s Xena’s daughter alright."

"Hmmm," Gabrielle couldn’t help but manage a small smile at the thought of Xena as a child. "You can tell me all about it another day."

"Good night then, Gabrielle."

"Good night, Cyrene."

The room was warm with a cheery fire blazing in the fireplace, but despite the warmth of the fire, Gabrielle felt a chill in her bones. As she slowly relaxed, her thoughts turned to Xena…

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Chapter 9

The morning was bright and sunny, at odds with Gabrielle’s gloomy disposition. The young lad Cyrene had found to lead her to the next village was constantly chatting, and for once she silently begged for peace and quiet.

"So where do you come from, Gabrielle?"

"Potadeia."

"Nice farming country there. They’ve re-built Potadeia recently and there’s now a pretty good market for produce." He could see that the girl was unimpressed with his proud show of knowledge.

Carpus was met with stony silence from the pretty blonde. When Cyrene had asked him to escort someone to the next village he grudgingly agreed. When it turned out to be a beautiful young woman, he thought the Fates had blessed him. However trying to engage her in any kind of conversation was proving very difficult indeed.

"Are we meeting up with a boyfriend?"

A deadly glare silenced his questions for a while.

Gabrielle tried to take an interest in the surrounding countryside, after all she had been away for nearly two summers from her home, but she found it very hard to muster any kind of enthusiasm in that knowledge. She picked up the pace, trying to turn two candlemarks into one, causing the young man next to her to stumble in an effort to get out of her way.

"My, my, we are in a hurry."

She couldn’t explain her need for speed, except that her heart was telling her to hurry. Was it a sign that time was running out?

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Xena could see the spires of the Temple not far ahead and breathed a sigh of relief. Soon it would be over and she could go home, or so she hoped. She was never sure with Ares. The path widened, opening onto a dirt courtyard leading up steps to the entrance of the Temple. She could feel the heaviness in the air as soon as she had stepped into the courtyard. A massive serpent slithered its way out of the undergrowth, blocking her path.

The thing reared its ugly head, showing row upon row of jagged teeth, intent on making her its next meal. Standing up on its muscled tail, the snake easily bested her height by at least five body lengths. Xena backed up, giving herself plenty of room between them, while she contemplated her next move.

The creature twisted and writhed, now woken from its slumber and ready to defend the entrance at all costs, its dark, malevolent eyes studying the human crouched in the undergrowth. A long, flickering tongue tested the surrounding air.

Xena considered her options. The serpent did not attack but simply stood its ground, waiting for her to approach. There was no way around this thing to get to the front door. Well, she could wait. Rushing in at this point would get her killed.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Despite her haste, Gabrielle had not saved much in time, arriving at the next village in a little under the two candlemarks. She thanked the smitten lad and sent him on his way. She had no intention of returning to Amphipolis any time soon, at least not without her partner.

She approached the small shrine, barely a tiny stone altar, that had slipped into disrepair. Brushing away dried leaves and dead flowers, Gabrielle thought about what she would say to the goddess. She laid a small token on the altar, a bracelet made by Xena for her on their sea journey. Before she had opened her mouth, her heart cried out in open supplication, saying all that she needed to say.

"Took you long enough." A female voice scared her from her reverie. She turned to see a woman in a see-through pink nightie. Gabrielle closed her eyes and opened them again. Yep, that’s what I saw.

"Aphrodite?"

"In the flesh, sweetie."

In the flesh, indeed… too much flesh. "Um." Gabrielle couldn’t take her eyes off the apparition, watching the unrestrained breasts of the goddess shake every time she spoke.

"I’m here to ask a boon."

"I already know. I’ve been watching you."

"Me?" What did I do?

"Well, you and tall, dark and deadly. Where is she, by the way?"

"You’ve been watching us?" All the things they had done together came flooding into her brain, starting a blush in her chest, rising quickly to stain her face.

"Certainly have. That’s what I do." Aphrodite chuckled at the blonde’s embarrassment. "And by the way, very nice…"

Gabrielle shuffled her feet, trying to get rid of the images in her brain. Try as she might, she couldn’t shift them; in fact, the harder she tried not to think of them, more poured into to fill the void.

"Xena is with Ares on an island somewhere." Aphrodite’s demeanor changed immediately.

"An island?"

"Um, I think it was called Demnos."

"Ares, of all the stupid…" Aphrodite muttered under her breath.

"I need to get back to her. Can you help me?"

"Wait one moment, sweetpea. I will return." With that, the goddess disappeared in a shower of sparkles, leaving a bewildered Gabrielle behind to ponder what had just happened.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Xena sat quietly watching the serpent settle, lowering itself into a coil in front of the stairs, its serpentine eyes watching her every move. Killing it was not going to be easy. Large, thick scales covered its body and she had doubts that her sword was going to make much of a dent on the skin. She looked at her makeshift bow and arrows. They might work but would not cause enough damage for her to move in and finish it off.

The feather shield lay in front of her and she idly brushed a finger over the soft surface. The edges were razor sharp, even sharper than her sword, and could inflict a great deal of damage if used effectively. But how?

Perhaps she could attach them to her arrows, but only a small part of the edge would be used. She needed something that would use as much of the sharp edge as possible, inflicting large open wounds that she could get her sword into.

Xena quickly attached a feather to one of her arrows and fired. The projectile stuck in the large scales of the beast, but it seemed to have little effect, even with the razor sharp feather embedded in it. This was going to require some thought.

Trying to attach them to her sword may prove fruitful, but she still had to get close enough to use it, and she doubted the creature was going to give her the chance to do that. She needed something she could throw at it, something that could use a large part of the cutting surface to inflict damage.

Her mind flashed back to her childhood days when she and her brother Lyceus used to skim stones along the water’s surface. Flicking a stone so it could spin and skip and make it seem like it was flying.

As she formulated a plan, Xena began detaching two plates from her armour and reaching for the pile of loose feathers. Here we go again.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Aphrodite materialised in a massive hall, surrounded by huge marble columns and godly opulence. The sounds of her footfalls echoed in the Great Hall of Olympus as she made her way down the long walkway to the dais at the end. Bowing in reverence, she greeted Zeus.

"Father."

"Aphrodite. What are you doing here? I thought you’d be off causing havoc amongst the mortals."

"Something has come to my attention that I think you should know."

"If it concerns Ares, the Fates have already advised me of his indiscretion."

"I have Gabrielle at one of my shrines. What shall I do with her?"

"Gabrielle?"

"Xena’s… lover. She has asked to be sent to Xena’s side. What do you wish me to do?"

The Fates’ words echoed in Zeus’s head. The wheels were now in motion. "Do as she asks, Aphrodite. She may go."

"And Ares, father?"

"I will see to it. Your responsibility is the girl. Protect her, daughter, she is more valuable than you know."

"Very well."

The goddess’s high heels click-clacked on the marble floor as she left the Hall.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Several attempts and cut fingers later, Xena had fashioned a working model of her weapon. In theory it should work, but the only way to know would be to try it. It was crude at best, and she would only get one shot at it, but it was the best she could come up with.

It had to be the weirdest idea she had ever had, but the strange feathers from those mythical birds had given her the chance to try ideas that would have otherwise been out of the realm of possibility. They had been a lot of trouble to carry, but she hoped she could get some of them home, giving her the opportunity to create something truly unique and beautiful for a weapon.

If this didn’t work, then it was up to her trusty sword, which would prove very hard work indeed. Taking a moment to prepare for her attack, Xena sent a thought to her absent partner.

Confidently, she strode out into the open courtyard, attracting the attention of her enemy. Slowly, the massive serpent unwound itself, rising up to look down on its tiny opponent. In a show of ferocity, it bared its teeth again, hoping to freeze its prey in place before striking.

Xena stood stock still, waiting for the creature to make its move. It struck down quickly, jaws open to receive the tasty morsel standing before it. At the last second she flipped herself out of the way, throwing the feathered ball into the open jaws that passed so close by her. She back-flipped out of the way and awaited the outcome.

The serpent slithered from side to side trying to dislodge the pain lodged in its throat. With every flick of its muscular body, the feathers embedded further into the flesh, cutting through muscle and tissue.

It was struggling with the damage the ball was inflicting, its lifeblood leaking out of its gaping mouth. Xena let out her battle cry and ran in, her sword raised in one hand. Half a dozen slashes later and the serpent’s body writhed around unaware that it no longer had a head. Xena stood in a pool of blood, watching the dying twitches of her enemy, feeling the haunting sensation of satisfaction.

She had a moment to feel the horror before she was drawn into the vortex of days gone by, where her blood lust was unrivalled. She had lived for death and power and everything in between, when she was teetering on the edge of being lost to her darkness forever.

Taking a steadying breath, she knew she was walking that edge again. One little push and she would fall. She inhaled and her lungs filled with the odour of blood, fresh blood. Her pulse beat in her head, slowly and steadily, sending a red curtain across her eyes, bathing her vision in crimson.

A half-grin, tinged with menace, crossed her face, and she slowly ascended the stairs to her destiny.

 

 

Xena could feel the raw power as soon as she entered the chamber, throbbing through her in time to her own heartbeat. Images of her past were drawn into her head, scenes of carnage and bloodshed that she had tried so recently to forget. A new thirst for blood surfaced, and she could nearly feel the familiar hilt of her sword resting in her hand, sending tingles up her arm and reminding her of those days when killing and mayhem tasted like sweet vintage wine.

Dead torches buried in sconces in the walls burst into life, acknowledging her presence in the room. The very air itself seemed to come to life, inhaling and exhaling its stale breath over the flickering flames.

There it sat on an altar in the middle of the chamber: the Chakram. The weapon was truly beautiful; a perfect harmony of shape and power, its azure gems glistening in the reflected light. She could feel her fingers itching to hold it, to feel its cold smoothness in the palm of her hand.

Despite herself, her right hand reached out towards the weapon of its own free will. It took all her willpower to stop herself from grabbing it, and she stepped back into the shadows of the wall, pushing herself against the cold surface. The cool menace she could now clearly feel emanating from the Chakram pulled at her resolve, willing her to step forward to claim the prize in front of her.

Her plan seemed to be unravelling at a rapid rate, and she now questioned the validity of this action. She thought she could control this situation but was finding the opposite to be true. Perhaps trying to turn the tables on Ares was going to end up destroying them all.

In a final act of desperation, she forced herself to stick to her plan, praying that this risk would pay off. The pull became stronger and she found herself unable to ignore it any longer. Step by step, she moved closer, her hand extending itself. As her fingers closed around the circle of darkness, it felt as if a nest of ants had crawled inside her head…

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Cyrene sat on a faded, tattered bedspread, a large wooden box lay open at her feet filled with mementos of a past life that she had thought long gone. In her hands rested a small rag doll, brand new despite its age. Here were memories of her wild and tempestuous daughter who had been a constant source of frustration to her.

The doll had never been used by Xena, who was more interested in fighting imaginary battles than raising an imaginary family. She had never been, nor ever would be, what was considered a normal little girl. Her hand ran through the ragged woollen hair idly as her thoughts turned inward to a gawky child who would take on the older boys and usually beat them at their own game.

"Grandma! Grandma!" In ran the nine year-old who was the embodiment of her daughter; a child whose boundless energy tired out her grandmother just watching her. Marina slowed at the sight of the open box, her curiosity getting the better of her as she knelt in front of it in homage. She looked up at her grandma with beseeching eyes.

A fond smile touched the woman’s lips and she nodded permission. A wide grin split Marina’s face, lighting up her features from within. Eager hands rummaged through the pile of toys, looking for booty to add to her own meagre supply. A tiny wooden sword, its hilt fitting perfectly into her small hand, took her attention. She lifted it and swung it around in imitation of her mother. Cyrene sighed, like mother, like daughter…

What Marina did next did surprise her, though. The child put down the sword next to her then reached for the doll in Cyrene’s hands. She pulled the rag figure to her chest and cuddled it, swaying softly from side to side. The older woman felt a tear come to her eye watching the young child whisper to her own make believe child. It was a tender scene that broke her heart and she made a decision to find her granddaughter some real friends to ease the loneliness. Or perhaps a nice brother or sister. He he…

"C’mon Marina." Cyrene stood up and took the child’s hand, leading her downstairs to some milk and cookies. At the bottom of the stairs the building shook, sending pottery jars flying off the shelves. Dragging Marina along behind her, Cyrene ran outside. By the Gods…

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

"Are you ready to go?" Gabrielle jumped with a start, unaware that the goddess had returned.

"Ah, yeah. What is your price Aphrodite?"

"Let’s just say this one is free for all the good memories you have given me."

Gabrielle had just gotten rid of one blush to have it replaced by another. Watching the Goddess of Love’s breasts jiggle around as she laughed only deepened the blush. Aww, no…

The ground shifted under their feet. "What in Hades was that?" Gabrielle looked up at the concerned look of the immortal. "I don’t want to know, do I?"

"But you’re going to find out." She mumbled just before sending them both off in a mass of stars.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Even the distant Halls on Mount Olympus felt the upheaval. A solitary figure seated on a massive throne bowed his head. "Damn…"

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Ares awaited Xena’s re-emergence from the Temple with unrestrained enthusiasm. She would now be his again. He saw movement from within. "Welcome back sweet..." His voice felt like it had been ripped from his throat and left him cowering in the dirt.

What he saw… for the first time in his immortal life he was truly scared. This creature standing in front of him was barely Xena. An eerie glow emanated from her eyes, its power dwarfing his own substantial power. He knew he had made a fatal mistake.

Xena felt like she was in quicksand, slowly sinking into the memories of her past. Writhing bodies of her fallen enemies surrounded her, trying to draw her down into their festering pool of dead humanity. Oh Gods, Gabbriieeelllleeee!!!! Her spirit cried out for help.

She rallied her defences and drew herself out of the ungodly pit of despair intent on killing her. Her soul was not theirs to have; it belonged to another. Just as Gabrielle’s belonged to her. She drew her mental line in the sand to fight and set her mind to that task. If this evil wanted her, then it would have to take her kicking and screaming…

Chapter 10

 

Gabrielle’s knees gave out as her body materialized with a rush. She stood on rubbery legs and took deep breaths to get her equilibrium. Slowly the world righted itself and she could move, albeit unsteadily.

It was only then that they both noticed what was going on at the temple. Xena stood there, leaning over a cowering Ares. Aphrodite’s eyes became round like saucers at seeing her brother in such a submissive position. Gabrielle was more interested in the one standing over him. It was a stranger.

Even from a distance, Gabrielle could see that this person was not the Xena she knew. As she stepped closer, even she could feel the breathing malevolence in the air. She didn’t need godly powers to feel the oppressiveness weighing down on her. Blue eyes, hooded and cold as ice turned their stare on her, stripping away her defences and laying her soul bare. What in Hades has happened here?

Aphrodite started stepping away, putting Gabrielle in the line of fire.

"Xena?" Gabrielle’s voice was barely a whisper.

The older woman didn’t speak; she just stood there surveying the scene in front of her. Ares didn’t dare move or even breathe. What had he done?

Gabrielle could see a strange object in Xena’s hand, a circle of metal covered in jewels and emitting an eerie glow. She moved steadily forward, forcibly putting one step in front of another until she was close enough to touch the god. She tapped his shoulder and motioned him to move away. Visibly relieved, Ares scrambled away without so much as a smart comment.

"Xena?" The woman turned her full attention to the young blonde standing in front of her. A frown creased her brow and she seemed to lose her ramrod posture.

"Gabrielle?" The voice sounded lost and bewildered.

Gabrielle reached out to touch her and it felt as if she had been stung. The jolt caused her to pull back her hand, shaking it to relieve the pain.

"Xena, are you in there?" She searched long and hard in those eyes that had been a window to her partner’s soul. Now the curtain had been pulled across; sheer enough to see her partner there, but still stopping any clear view of the one she loved so dear.

"Gabrielle, get away from here. Far, far away." Her voice was dark and deep.

"What is going on?"

"I can tell you what’s going on." Aphrodite spoke for the first time. "Ares has tricked Xena into taking the Chakram of Darkness."

"Chakram of Darkness? That doesn’t sound good."

"No, it’s not. Why do you think it was hidden here? Anyone who touches it becomes the vessel of its malevolence. It contains evil, Gabrielle. It is evil itself."

Gabrielle turned to observe her partner. She could see the woman visibly shaking, aware that Xena was fighting an internal battle for her very soul.

"What will happen?"

"The power of the Chakram will gradually consume her until there is no more of the woman you know, only an all-powerful killing machine bent on destroying the world."

Gabrielle turned her attention to a prostrate Ares and started kicking him. "You did this to her! You egotistical, self-centred, arrogant …" She was so angry that she sputtered and puffed. "Man!"

The sky clouded over and thunder rumbled.

"Oh oh…" That was all Ares could manage before he disappeared in a blinding flash.

Gabrielle glanced over to Aphrodite. "Zeus." Oh, sent to the corner by daddy…

"Now what do we do?"

"We have to destroy it."

"And what about Xena?" Aphrodite’s face remained still, sending chills down Gabrielle’s spine. "Well?"

"I’m sorry Gabrielle. Destroying the Chakram comes first. She may have to be sacrificed."

"No… NO. She’s in there fighting. We have to give her every chance to survive this. Is there any way to slow down the process?"

Aphrodite thought for a moment. "Perhaps… Give me a moment." She disappeared in a sprinkle of stars.

Gabrielle turned her attention to her lover, straining to hold herself together. Despite the danger, she approached.

"Xena? Let me help you. You know I can’t stay away. I’m with you to the end."

For a moment those sky-blue eyes returned, filled with the love for her little blonde that had been her beacon of light for the last few weeks. Her large hand came out and cupped a tear-streaked cheek. "Take this while I’m able to give it to you." Xena unsteadily grabbed her bag and shoved the offending weapon inside. The damage had been done, but hopefully removing it from her touch would stop any further contamination. With a sad smile, she ran her thumb over the soft skin under it.

"This has to be done, Gabrielle." Her voice was hoarse and strained, both from emotion and struggle. "I want you to look after them for me."

"No. Don’t you give up, you hear me? I’m not ready to lose you yet. I love you and I want to have a family with you. I’m greedy, Xena. I want it all and you’re it."

Xena bowed her head, taking solace from Gabrielle’s words, which had expressed out aloud her own wishes. Isn’t that worth fighting for?

"Alright. I’ll do what I can."

"No, Xena. Don’t try, just do it. Isn’t that what you told me? Do it for me." She smiled a bittersweet smile. "Besides I still have a promise to fulfil, don’t I?"

"Hmmmm… " Images of what could be flooded her mind and gave her that extra boost to continue the good fight.

"Remember what we are like together, Xena. Use that to fight it."

Desperately, Xena reached for that peace of body and mind her lover could inspire. The blackness in her heart retreated for a while, giving her breathing space.

"Thank you, Gabrielle." She gave her partner a wink and was able to manage a smile.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Ares stood before his father, feeling the anger rolling off the King of the Gods as if it were a tangible thing. "How stupid can you be, Ares?"

"But… "

"NO!" He bellowed and the room shook with his fury.

"You have put the world in danger because of this rash action. And Xena, of all people. She is the one who could be responsible for the downfall of us all."

"But she was mine to control."

"She was no one’s to control, Ares. You know that, and yet you still persist. That was incredibly selfish of you. You will pay the price for this, son, and I’m helpless to stop it. She has to be destroyed, you know that."

"There has to be a way."

"You have no one to blame but yourself. You manipulated this and now we all have to pay." Zeus tapped his long beard and thought. "You are going to fix this, Ares. No games, no tricks and no lies. You and Aphrodite will have to get her to the Temple of the Chakram to destroy it. She is expendable Ares, just remember that."

Aphrodite appeared at the end of the conversation, catching Xena’s death sentence.

"Father." Aphrodite stayed quiet until she was acknowledged.

"Yes?"

"Gabrielle has come up with an idea. Is there any way we can slow down the takeover of Xena’s body?"

"We could try. Any extra time we can get will make it less hazardous for your journey."

"Journey?" What had she gotten herself into?

"You and your brother are taking her to the Temple of the Chakram. I would suggest you put something warm on, Aphrodite."

She looked down her body at the diaphanous gown and thought better of it. "Hmm. I see your point."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The air shimmered and twisted with the arrival of Aphrodite and Ares. Xena lifted her head from her seated position, barely acknowledging their presence. Aphrodite looked around in concern and Gabrielle lifted Xena’s bag in silent answer.

A greater shift in the atmosphere nearly knocked the blonde off her feet. Tiny wisps of electrical discharge swirled around the forming figure. Within moments, a tall, elderly man stood regally in its place, his wizened hand slowly stroking his grey beard.

"So, Xena, it seems we have a problem." His deep voice resonated around the courtyard of the temple.

Bright blue, saddened eyes tracked to him, acknowledging what they all knew. She was doomed to die. While Gabrielle, in her ignorance, fought on to save her, she had heard stories about this weapon and knew it was only a matter of time before she was lost completely to its power.

"Do something!" If the matter had not been so grave, Gabrielle’s insolence would have been met with instant incineration.

Eyes as old as time itself turned their attention to her. "And you are?"

Aphrodite quietly stepped in. "This is Gabrielle, father. Xena’s partner."

"Well, Gabrielle, it seems that my son here has done something completely stupid."

"Tell me something that I don’t know. Trying to take her away from me was stupid in itself." Xena looked up in astonishment at her lover’s lack of propriety. She glanced over at Zeus to find an amused look on his face. Well, she can be lucky…

A small chuckle escaped his perfectly formed lips. "I keep telling him that, my dear, but he won’t listen." His features hardened. "Are you aware of what is going on?"

"Not really, no." Gabrielle seemed to be the only one present who didn’t know what was going on.

"There is only one place that the Chakram of Darkness can be destroyed, but until now we have had no way of getting it there. Ares has forced our hand and we have to move quickly. The power of the Chakram will eventually consume her and then there is no way of stopping it. Xena will destroy the world and eventually us as well."

"Young woman, listen to me very carefully." Zeus guided her over out of earshot from Xena. "I can see only one possibility here, my dear. We need to keep her calm and composed so that she may direct her energies to keeping the power at bay. She needs help… your help."

Without hesitation, Gabrielle answered. "What must I do?"

"What I propose is very dangerous for you, for if she falls, so will you." He watched the young woman’s face for a reaction. Her child-like features hardened with determination and purpose.

Gabrielle repeated, "What must I do?"

"The Fates had foreseen your meeting with Xena. You were destined to be together, Gabrielle, and Aphrodite has blessed this union." Gabrielle looked over to the silent goddess and saw her nod her head.

"You have a tentative connection with Xena, I think you already suspect that. What I propose is that we increase the connection that you two have. You will truly be fighting beside her, Gabrielle, but that will mean you will be in danger as well."

"I intend placing your soul in Xena’s body, lending your own considerable will to her own to fight this, but beware, that if one of you dies the other will perish also." Zeus paused for dramatic effect. "Think carefully, Gabrielle, Xena has a very small chance to survive this. If the evil inside is not kept at bay, she is to be destroyed at the Temple. That is the only way we can stop it. So if she dies so will you while you inhabit her body."

Gabrielle had already made her mind up; she would do anything for this woman who had so utterly claimed her heart. If it meant dying with her, then so be it. Marina, please forgive me.

 

She spared a moment to think of those she would leave behind. Marina, while Xena’s daughter, had come to mean a lot to her in the short time she had known her. Here was a child with boundless love and joy for life that reminded her a lot of herself at that age. Cyrene would now be faced with the task of raising her. Perhaps the child’s likeness to Xena would help ease the pain. Her thoughts turned to her own family - to her own parents, if they were still alive, who would never know that their daughter had been on her way home to find them, and finally to her sister, Lila, whom she had thought of often since the day that Draco had separated them. Funny how in such a short time her priorities had changed so dramatically. She turned to face the tall god. "Let’s do this."

"Hopefully this is only temporary, Gabrielle. Aphrodite will place your body in stasis for safe keeping." If you return… Zeus couldn’t help but feel a bit of pride for this young human who was showing so much courage and determination, something he wished he could have inspired in some of his own progeny.

"I understand."

Moving back to the seated woman, Zeus spoke, "Xena, we are going to help you with your burden. Gabrielle will join you in holding the darkness at bay. Please stand."

The mention of Gabrielle’s participation galvanised Xena’s preservation instincts. "No, she’s not to become involved in this. Don’t do it!"

"Xena!" Zeus raised his voice to attract the older woman’s attention, the volume rattling the stonework of the temple. "There is no choice in this. If you are taken over, and we cannot stop you, she is lost anyway. Give her a chance to help you."

"Xena. Let me do this, please. If you are lost, then so am I. Let me at least go down fighting next to you."

Xena hung her head. She lifted her eyes to meet the steady gaze of her partner watching her. "I don’t want you to feel this, please. If it comes to it, I’ll make it quick. Zeus, please stop her from doing this. I can manage on my own."

"No, Xena. She has made her decision. It is safer for all of us for her to help you."

Zeus stood quietly before them, eyes closed, as he summoned forth the power that made him the King of the Gods. The air pressure changed and swirled around the two women, energy skittering across their skin, sensitising them to the change that was to come.

"Gabrielle, please stop this. This is not what it seems. It’s all a tr…" Xena felt as if her heart had been ripped out of her chest. Breathless, she collapsed to her knees, looking across to her partner to see her fall also. She desperately reached across the distance and held her hand, forcing her eyes to look to the deep green pools of her lover.

Zeus increased his power, surrounding the two women in an aura, while Aphrodite and Ares stood by, silent witnesses to their father’s actions. The air continued to swirl, gathering in the blue and green wisps of vapour emerging from the two humans. In deference to Zeus’s greater power, the immortals bowed their heads in supplication.

Gabrielle held on tight to Xena’s hand, trying to keep eye contact as her very soul slipped from her body. Held upright by Zeus’s will, they watched on helplessly as the wisps aligned themselves side by side. Zeus increased his power further, causing a deep rumbling, shaking the earth, and sending the wisps skittering back into the taller woman’s body.

Their bodies were released from Zeus’s control and both women collapsed to the ground. It was the strangest thing, Gabrielle thought. She could sense Xena next to her, feeling herself rise up in a body not her own and looking down on her own fallen body, seconds before it slowly faded away from view.

It was a joyous union, moments before the blackness eating away at Xena’s resolve pulsed to life. The emanating power nearly took Gabrielle’s breath away, her hand instinctively reaching for her throat, only to have that hand stopped by another. Concentrate, Gabrielle, we need to work together on this.

The very thought of Gabrielle putting herself in so much danger scared the Hades out of Xena, but it was done now and she had to live with it. She was quite touched by Gabrielle’s sacrifice, but now she had to make sure the sacrifice was not in vain.

Zeus backed away, allowing the women time to adjust to their new circumstance. He called over his children. "As soon as they are able to stand, start your journey. Do not tarry, for we have precious little time." He looked deeply into each child’s eyes. "The fate of the world rests on your shoulders, my children." I only hope the Fates are right about this…

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Continued in Chapters 11-16

 

 


Return to The Bard's Corner

Return to The Australian Xena Information Page