Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: One leetle kiss

Violence: None

Language: Mild

Spoilers:

Other: Part Seventy-seven in the series "Raising Melosa". Takes place right after "The Ascension of the Warrior Princess".

 

 

A First Time For Everything

By T.Novan

TNOVAN@aol.com

 

I watched as Celia tried to calm her. I knelt down next to the bed and caressed her face. "Mom? Listen to me Mom. We need to get these herbs into you."

The convulsions seemed to get worse as she coughed and traces of blood escaped with each one. "Mel…find…Xe…I need…."

Another coughing fit and more blood. "Yes Mom I will just as soon as we…."

"Get away from her!" I turned to find Mother coming through the tent flaps at top speed. "Move now!"

Everyone including myself moved away from Mom. Mother tossed off her cloak as she moved to Mom and picked her up in her arms. ""Ri honey?"

"Xe…it’s hurts…."

"I know. Hold on." She looked around the tent. "Everybody out!" Everyone in the made a hasty retreat. I stayed close to the bed, until she raised her eyes to me. "You too Mel. Go on."

"I…."

"Go on Mel! I’ll explain later."

I gave one last look as I left the tent and pulled the flaps shut. I turned to Celia and gave a little. She shook her head. "I should be taking care of my patient."

"Trust me on this one. Defying my Mother when she says get out could be a very dangerous thing to do."

"Still," She started for the tent again. I grabbed her arm. "Don’t do it." She jerked away from me then went into the tent. She emerged just a quickly with a look of shear fear on her face.

I studied my nails before looking back up. "Told you."

"She’s insane."

"No she’s taking care of my Mom and there is no force in the world that will stop her from doing that."

"Is she always that intense?"

"Most of the time."

"How do you stand it?"

"Easy. I love her. She’s my Mother."

"Good Gods on Olympus I wouldn’t be able to stand it."

I cocked my head as I looked at her. "She’s just really worried."

"She’s a maniac."

"No. She’s in love with that woman in that tent. They’ve always been this way with each other."

"I would have divorced her a long time ago."

"Would have been a huge loss for you. There’s no two people in this world as noble as my mothers."

She laughed a little as she nodded. "Yeah well you’re suppose to feel that way. They are your mothers. The Queen I’ve come to respect since I’ve been here, but I have to tell you Mel you’re Mother is arrogant."

"Now wait just a moment…."

"Not to mention the history she has…."

"Okay now that’s enough! I know what you’re referring to and you are way out of line."

She jerked her head toward the front line. "Tell that to the amazons up there. Tell that to the soldiers in the other army who are going to die at the end of your Mother’s sword."

I started to answer, feeling the anger rising up in my chest, but her voice stopped my words.

"There won’t be any." I turned as she exited the tent. She was wiping her hands on a cloth. She moved to Celia and looked down at her. "Because I already broke Delcar’s neck with my bare hands."

I watched as the blood drained from Celia’s face and her knees buckled. Mother caught her by the arm and drew her back up. "Do you know why I broke his neck?" She shook her head. "I broke his neck because he has someone on the inside and he was having your Queen poisoned. Do you know anything about it Celia?"

"N…no…no…." She cringed back as far as she could.

"Are you sure? She gave her a little shake. "Are you absolutely sure?"

"Yes…yes…."

"Good ‘cause let me tell you what’s going to happen when I find the person responsible for poisoning my wife." She leaned in a little further. "I’m going to kill them. No begging, no pleading, I’m going to kill them."

I laid my hand on Mother’s arm. "Let her go, please?"

She turned her head slowly to me as she released Celia. "Don’t forsake your family over a…." She stopped and returned to the tent.

I swallowed and then followed her into the tent. She was sitting in the bed cradling Mom in her arms, rocking her and humming to her. I remembered back to when Mom got hurt. Nothing had changes in all those seasons.

"Want to tell me what happened?" I asked as I took a seat on the end of the bed.

"We have a traitor and a murderer in our midst Mel. Someone has tried to kill your Mom."

"Is she going to be all right?"

She looked down at Mom who seemed to be sleeping soundly in her arms. "Oh yeah I took care of it. She going to be fine after she gets a couple of days rest."

"Who did this?"

"I don’t know, but I’m going to find out and when I do…."

Mom stirred and opened her eyes. "Hiya Warrior."

"Ri…." I watched as tears slid down Mother’s cheeks. She planted small kisses on her forehead. "Welcome back sweetheart."

"Oh I feel awful."

"Yeah well you tend to feel bad after being poisoned."

"What?"

"Don’t worry about it now. I’ve got you and you’re going to be fine."

I watched as Mom curled tight into Mother’s arms. "I know."

"Good. I never want you to doubt that."

"I don’t. Xe?"

"Hmm?"

"Delcar?"

"Dead."

I was always amazed at these one word conversations. They had a lot of them and they always knew the meaning behind every word uttered. I’m sure they had longer conversations about these sensitive subjects when they were alone, but these exchanges always astonished me.

"Mel?" Mother looked to me as she caressed Mom’s face. "I need you to go get Eph for me."

"On my way. Anything else I can do?"

"Yeah find your brother and send him in here."

I left the tent without another word. I found Solan just as he was about to head back to the front line. "Hey big brother. Mother’s here. She’s in the healer’s tent and she wants to see you."

"When did she get back?" He dismounted heading straight for the tent.

"Not long ago. Can I borrow your horse?"

"Go for it." He called as he entered the tent.

I rode as fast as Solan’s nag would take me. Geeze for a guy who breeds horses he sure did pick a loser. Then again I could just be biased. I do, after all, own the finest horse this side of Athens.

Aunt Ephiny didn’t ask any questions when I finally found her and told her Mother wanted her. She got her gear together and we started for the second line. It was while we were riding back that she asked me to fill her in.

"Don’t know much to be honest. All I know is that Delcar is dead and Mother says Mom has been poisoned. You know how Mother gets when she’s focused on something."

"Poisoned? By the Gods who would want to poison Gabrielle?"

"Umm, well, I’ll take a swing in the dark and say someone who isn’t happy with her."

She groans at me as we continue back to the camp. When we ride in I’m shocked to find Mom seated in front of a campfire sipping tea. Mother is at her side, giving off a very protective energy. I noticed that no one was coming within several arm lengths of them and even now that may be too close. Aunt Eph and I headed their way. Celia approached me and took me by the arm. I’m still not very happy with her and it must show on my face.

"Can we talk?"

"Are you going to insult my Mother some more?"

"No actually I’m not."

I followed her away from them and back to the tent. I leaned against a stack of crates with my arms crossed against my chest as she stood with her back to me. "Well?"

"I’m sorry." She turned around to face me. "I’m sorry for everything I said."

I nodded as I watched her.

"It’s wasn’t right and it wasn’t fair. I shouldn’t have judged her actions so harshly."

"Why the sudden change? Not more than three marks ago she was some sort of evil being in your mind."

"I had a talk with Alana and your brother."

I nodded again.

"Why didn’t you say something to me Mel?"

"Huh?"

She stepped forward extending her hand to me. "Why didn’t you tell me how you felt?"

"I…unh…I…" Suddenly it was very hot in the tent. "I…."

She moved even closer to me. I felt my breathing hitch just a bit. Was I sweating? A quick hand to the side of my head answered that. Yup I’m sweating. She slid her hands to my hips then moved in brushing her lips across mine.

Knees, where’d I put my knees?

I closed my eyes as she brought her lips back to mine and my arms went around her. So this was what it’s all about? Okay I could get used to this. I definitely see the appeal. She led me willing into my first kiss and my mind decided she could lead me wherever the Tartarus she might like.

Are you suppose to be able to breathe when you do this? Because if you are, I need to work on it.

It took another clearing of her throat before we heard her. Oh Gods! I pulled back from the kiss and turned my head to find my Mother. Celia blushed and made a hasty exit.

"I was…I…" I stammered as I tried to hear past the blood rushing in my ears.

"I know what you were doing. I’ve been doing it for a longtime myself." She grinned at me.

"You don’t really think she’s involved with what happened to Mom do you?"

"No Mel I don’t. If I did I would have had a fit when I came in here and caught you in her arms."

"Thank the Gods." I dropped my head. Then I realized that my Mother had just interrupted the most pleasant experience of my life. "You know what?"

She moved past me and pulled a bag of herbs down from a shelf. "My timing absolutely sucks."

"In such a big way."

"Then don’t stand here talking to me. Go find her."

"See ya."

"Not if you keep closing your eyes like that."

"Ha ha. Very funny."

"Hey runt."

"Yeah."

"Congratulations."

 

TBC….


Return to The Bard's Corner