DISCLAIMERS

Violence Warning:
This story depicts scenes of violence and their aftermath. Some violence is depicted graphically.

Domestic Violence Warning:
This story has a reference to domestic violence. It is not graphic.

Hurt/Comfort:
There is some of that too. If this is uncomfortable for you, you might consider skipping this one.

Subtext:
This story depicts sexual relations between two women who are in love. If that offends you there are plenty of other stories you might want to read. If you are under 18 or it is illegal where you live, please stop and read no further.

Thanks:
A special thanks to Lunacy for her help with beta reading, feedback, and most importantly encouragement and patience, without which this story would've never gotten off the ground, let alone finished.

Comments.
Questions and comments are welcome.


İOctober 1998

THE AGENT - Part 4

By C Paradee
CParadee@prodigy.net

The day passed slowly for Megan and she waited impatiently for 5pm to arrive. She was looking forward to going home. Well, she mused, she looked forward to going home every night now. Smiling to herself, she thought about how everything was so different now. It was hard to believe that all the things she'd always heard about love and never thought she'd experience were true. Well no... not exactly. This was better than what she'd heard. She shook her head, she knew she was hopeless.

Tony called over to Brian, "See ya tomorrow," and made her way around the desks toward the door to the street. It had been another day of interviewing informants. There had been no new developments and she was tired of interviewing lowlife punks. Maneuvering through the traffic toward the Coroner's office, she had one thing on her mind, Megan. She just wanted to be with her. It was comfortable. It was nice.

Megan watched her tall lover walk down the hall toward her. She could watch her all day. She moved so fluidly down the hall, her walk so perfect, her muscles moving in perfect synchrony with that gorgeous body. She is gorgeous. Megan stood waiting in the doorway of her office. Tony was early. Megan said, "Hi ya," giving her a big grin and continuing, "I missed you." Walking into the office Tony hugged her, smiled and said, "Right back at ya."
"What is this?" Tony asked looking in the crock pot. "It looks interesting," she said dubiously. Megan chuckled, "Interesting? That's original."

Looking at Megan, Tony raised an eyebrow, still trying to figure out what was in the crock pot. "Well?"

"It doesn't have a name. My mother used to make it." Megan started laughing at Tony's expression and walked over patting her on the stomach, "I haven't poisoned you yet, have I?"

"No, but..."

"Tony expand your horizons a little," Megan teased. "It's sort of like a goulash."

"Must taste ok, huh?" Megan chuckled when Tony filled her plate a second time. "Yep. It's really good," she said, looking slightly embarrassed.

"What time is that guy coming over?"

"He should be here at 7pm. I never knew they actually come to your house and demonstrate."

"Why not? It's money in his pocket," Tony answered. She had suggested to Megan that getting a cellular phone would probably be a good idea. Tony knew that even though she wanted to, she couldn't go everyplace with Megan, but, for now, she sure intended to try.

"You know Tony, I was thinking. Did you ever see any of those movies or read any murder mysteries where they tell the reporter a lot of provocative stuff to put in the newspaper trying to lure the killer into the open? You know, stuff like being unable to interact normally with women, so he gets his kicks by killing them because it's the only way he feels he has any control over them and stuff like that."

Tony nodded her head, "Yeah. But most of the stuff that works on TV and in books, doesn't in real life. But, that may not be a bad idea. We certainly aren't making any progress on the case." Tony mused aloud, "The killer is very cool. Almost too cool. It's really kind of weird. Something should have broken by now. All we've got is a description of someone buying drugs that is so vague it'll never do us any good. Tell ya what, let me talk to Brian tomorrow. I think it might be worth a shot."

Megan sat on the couch looking at the cellular phone. It was very small and would easily fit in her purse. "Don't you think it's kind of cute?"

"It's just a phone," Tony answered, watching Megan play with it. "Here, let me have it. I'll go plug it in," she offered.
"I still think it's cute. Look how little it is," Megan said handing over the phone. Taking it, Tony shook her head wondering what could be cute about a phone, and went to plug it in.

Tony sat down on the couch stretching her long legs out. Megan settled in next to her comfortably. Tony looked at her and said, "Let's go out to some place nice for dinner tomorrow night."

Megan smiled, liking the idea. "Ok. Want to go the Lighthouse? It's really nice there and the food is good."

"Sure," Tony didn't particularly care where they went as long as she was with the small woman relaxed comfortably against her. Tony kissed the top of her head, draping her arm around her shoulders.

"Could I ask you something?" Megan face had turned serious with a small crease between her eyes. She had noticed the past several days, that whenever they were not at home Tony had a completely different air about her. She seemed incredibly in tune with everything around them. Her eyes never stopped scanning any area they walked. It was a predatory alertness. It was like she was in a perpetual state of awareness.
Tony took in the expression on Megan's face as she asked the question sensing this was not going to be something simple. Guardedly she answered, "Sure."

"There is just something I can't figure out about that night in the Flats," she paused, watching Tony carefully. "How did the guy ever get near enough to you to stab you?"

Tony's expression turned introspective. Her mind journeyed back to that moment in time, and she remembered exactly why she had been taken off guard. Caught up in the maelstrom of emotions she felt that night, Tony captured Megan's eyes with a penetrating gaze. Her contralto voice began relating the memory, "You see, there was this beautiful intelligent woman, wearing a teal colored dress, with absolutely mesmerizing eyes, a body to die for and a smile that lit up her whole face that I just couldn't get out of my mind." Tony watched Megan's eyes widen in surprise, and then said, "I love you," leaning down and gently capturing Megan's lips with her own. Words couldn't have explained Megan's feelings just then, but her response to the gentle kiss did.

"Hey," Tony responded to Brian's greeting the next morning. Grabbing a cup of coffee from the never ending pot in the squad room, she walked over to his desk and sat down. Brian looked at her expectantly. He knew she had to want something to come and plant herself at his desk. "Well?"

Grinning companionably, she said, "Megan came up with an interesting idea. She suggested using the newspaper as a medium to lure out the killer. What do you think?"

"I don't know. Might work, ya never know. But I wouldn't hold my breath," Brian said, picking up his coffee and taking a sip. "I think I saw Mark in the Lieutenant's office. He's been covering the story. He'd probably be the best one to talk to."

"You want to do the release?"

"Oh no. The brass would never approve it. They're much too conservative." Besides, the FBI is better at this type of thing. You don't have to worry about local reaction."

Tony smiled at him, "Laying it on me, huh?"

"Well, as much as I hate to admit it, the public is much more in awe of the FBI than the police."

"Ok. But I'm going to play the reporter too. I think his story will be much more believable if he doesn't know it's a ruse. You ok with that?"

Brian shrugged his shoulders, "Yeah. It's your call."

"Good. I'll clear it with Mike." Standing, she turned and made her way to the task force room. Picking up the phone and dialing, she waited for an answer. "Braxton," was the response. Tony was surprised the Director had answered and not his secretary. "Hi, Mike. It's Tony. I want to make a bogus press release today ridiculing the Shadow killer. An attempt to draw him out a little," Tony said relating the idea to him.

"Isn't that a little risky?" Mike asked, "he could go off the deep end."

"Yep. It's a big risk. But since he hasn't left any clues and doesn't seemed inclined to stop killing innocent women, it might be worth it. No guarantees though. I know it's a long shot."

Mike thought about it. It really wasn't any skin off his back. If it backfired, the blame would fall directly on Tony. If it worked, it would make him look good. "What do the locals think?"

"They're ok with it if we take responsibility for the announcement."

"If you think the risk is worth it, go for it," he replied wanting to make absolutely sure she understood this one was on her.

Tony smiled to herself. He was setting the stage for deniability on his part. No problem, she could deal with that. "Ok. Later," she said hanging up the phone. She went to find the reporter.

"Interested in a story?" Tony asked, knowing he'd be unable to refuse.

Mark's eyes brightened. "Did you get a break? The killer finally make a mistake?"
"No, nothing like that. We just want to send him a message." She led him to the conference room and motioned for him to have a seat. Tony painted a picture of an antisocial, dysfunctional sociopath who preyed on women because he couldn't face his own shortcomings and it was the only way he could exert control in his otherwise miserable little world. Tony was very careful to lend credence to the statement by pointing out correlations between some of the other known serial killers like Jeffrey Dahmer, John Gacy and Ted Bundy.

Mark took down all the information provided, and when she finished he asked her, "Do you really think the killer is a sociopath?"

"Of course. He is obviously a pathetic individual with absolutely no conscience," she said, wanting to make sure he was convinced. His delivery of the story would be very important. Tony knew that most sociopath's have methodical cunning minds, and are usually very intelligent. The ones that chose to kill were always difficult to apprehend.

Mark stood and said, "Thanks. I really appreciate the scoop. I'll get right to work on it. I should have it ready for tomorrow's morning edition."

Finishing their case load, Megan and David adjourned to Megan's office. "So what's the big news you have to tell me?" Megan asked, smiling at her good friend.

"You know we've been looking for a house," David saw Megan nod, "well we finally found one, and it's right on the Silver Coast. You should see it Megan. It's one of the older colonial style houses. It's in great condition. The roof was just done last year and the basement is completely dry. The hard wood floors were just refinished, it has a completely modernized kitchen and 3 bedrooms. I've always wanted an extra room for an office and Mike needs a place to work on his blue prints. We both love it. The loan is already approved, but I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure. We just have to wait for the closing," David finished beaming with pride.

Megan walked over and hugged her friend. "That's just great. You've waited so long to find a place over there."

"Boy, don't I know it," David grinned back. "You guys will come to our house warming, right?"

"We wouldn't miss it. How long before you close?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe a month. " David answered, a wide smile firmly in place. I better go clean up," he said, turning to go back to the autopsy suite.

Megan was working on the preliminary reports of the 2 autopsies she had done that morning, when the teasing, "Hey, Doc," drifted to her ears.
Looking up at Mark, she said, "Hi. What's up?"

"I just met with the FBI agent assigned to the Shadow case. The FBI is releasing a statement, sort of like a message to the Shadow killer. They believe the killer is some kind of deranged control freak, a bonafide sociopath who can't exist normally in society. Do you have any comments you'd like to add? Is that what you think too? Or is this just maybe a ruse by the FBI to get the killer to make a mistake?"

Megan thought quickly. Tony obviously hadn't wasted any time on acting on her suggestion. She also had not let the reporter in on the ruse. Well that did make sense. The less people that knew the better.

"Yes, I think I'd have to agree with their assessment," she told Mark. Anyway it wasn't a lie because she actually thought whoever was doing it had to be a monster.

"Do you mind if I quote you as agreeing with them?" Mark asked.

"I don't mind, but I think my boss would probably have a coronary. So let's keep my comments off the record, ok?"

"Sure, no problem. I've got plenty for the story anyway. I better get to work on it. See ya later."

"See you Mark."


She was looking forward to an evening out. It was the first time they were really going out. Megan smiled at the thought. No matter that she had tried to deny it, she finally acknowledged that she had treated their night in the Flats as a date, privately, in her own mind.

"I'd sure like to hear a song," she hinted. Tony smiled sparing a quick look at her partner before turning back to the traffic. "See if you can find something on the radio you like."

Megan began flipping through the channels stopping on the soft rock oldies channel. Tony knew the song and joined in. When she finished, Megan said, "I love listening to you. How did you ever learn to sing like that?"

"I don't know. I just always could," Tony replied self-consciously.

Megan had made reservations for 7pm. She went to take a shower while Tony went to the closet in the spare bedroom and pulled out her favorite dress. It was a simple black dress with spaghetti straps, moderately low cut, designed to tastefully outline the curves it covered before gaining width and ending above the knees. She got the accessories she wanted out and waited for Megan to finish showering.
Megan began looking through her dresses. Her choice was somewhat limited because she had steered away from more than casual dates and hadn't felt the need to waste money on things she wouldn't use. Smiling, she thought she just might have to do some clothes shopping soon. She pulled out a white dress with thin straps, the top stylishly suggestive, fitting snugly at the waist before gradually becoming full and ending above the knee.

Tony finished in the shower and noticed Megan had closed the bedroom door. Thinking, I guess we're dressing separately today, she walked down the hall to the guest room.

Unknowingly, each woman's actions mirrored the other. Both dressed with care, expertly applying makeup, taking the extra time required to make sure their hair was perfect, adding jewelry and taking that last look in the mirror, satisfied.

Tony finished first and went to the living room to wait for Megan. A short time later Megan appeared. Their eyes widened simultaneously, each taking in the other's appearance. Both started to talk at the same time, and they began laughing. Tony said, "You are so beautiful."

Megan blushed at the intensity of Tony's words, and smiled. "Thanks. But you know, since you took the words right out of my mouth, I guess I'll have to settle for telling you how gorgeous you are," she said playfully but meaning every word of the compliment. She watched the red creep up on Tony's face as she voiced her thanks for the compliment. Tony decided she had blushed more in the past two weeks than she had in her whole life. She knew the reason was because it had never mattered before what anyone thought; but now, the plain truth was, it mattered very much what the small woman standing in front of her thought.

Megan and Tony were led to their seats out on the balcony overlooking the lake. Following the waiter, they were both aware of the appreciative looks cast their way by other patrons in the crowded restaurant. Tony was used to it. Megan was not.

"Everyone's looking at us," Megan said quietly, once they were seated.

Tony smiled sassily, winked, and said, "That's cuz you look so good."

"I don't think I'm the only one they're looking at," she said answering Tony with an equally alluring smile deciding two could play this game.

Tony looked at Megan and decided if they were going to stay for dinner she had better change the subject because the way the woman she loved, who just happened to be dressed to kill, was sitting across the table smiling at her was quickly flaming a different appetite.

"What are you going to have?" she asked, conceding to Megan.
Megan never missed a beat and said, "They've got really good salmon here. I think I'll have that," unable to keep a teasing smile from appearing on her face.

Tony just raised an eyebrow and smirked. "I think I'll have the same."

Megan and Tony enjoyed the leisurely dinner. They were constantly learning things about each other and with each new discovery there came greater understanding and insight into the inner self of the other. They returned home, tired but relaxed.


Tony had always been an early riser, but that had taken on a new attraction lately. The past few mornings she woke up enveloped in a sense of well being with the weight of her partner resting across her. She relished the comfort she found in their closeness and would wait for her to wake up. She loved to watch Megan open her eyes and smile lazily up at her.

Megan woke to the sound of Tony's heart beating a steady rhythm in her ear. She knew the blue orbs were watching her, and knew the love she felt was reflected back in them. She slowly lifted her head to meet the eyes watching her. With a sultry smile, she traced her finger slowly along Tony's cheek and down her neck, feeling the quickening of her partner's pulse. Meeting Tony's eyes she began a languid exploration, feeling Tony's quick intake of breath. Tony kissed her and she knew her, not so subtle, invitation was being enthusiastically accepted.

Tony was nervous. Ever since Megan had told her Ashley wanted to meet her and was coming over for dinner, she had been uneasy. This was Megan's sister. Her favorite sister. What if she didn't like her? She knew Megan had told her about them. But this was important. She didn't want their relationship to make things difficult for Megan. She wryly laughed at herself. Normally Tony didn't give a damn about what people thought of her.

Megan walked over and sat down beside Tony. She could tell Tony was uncomfortable and knew she was worried about meeting Ashley. "Hey, relax," she said putting her hand on Tony's thigh. "You'll like her, and I know she'll like you." Grinning mischievously, Megan said, "She knows I have good taste." The last prompted a smile from Tony.

"You need any more help?"

"You know everything's done," Megan said. "Come mere," she urged Tony's head down for a kiss. Megan tucked herself up against Tony's side while they waited for Ashley to arrive. Tony relaxed, comforted by the small woman leaning against her side.

When Megan answered the door, she drew her sister into a quick hug. Leading her in to the apartment, she introduced her to Tony. .Ashley had the usual reaction of people meeting Tony for the first time, awe, surprise, and an awareness of a dangerous, yet sensuous aura surrounding the tall woman. Smiling to herself, she could certainly understand why her sister was so taken with this tall appealing woman.

"So Tony, Megan tells me you're an FBI agent. What's it like?"

"It's really just like any other job. You spend a great deal of time behind a desk, or doing leg work researching leads which usually don't pan out. It's not nearly as glamorous as TV portrays it to be." Tony said, down playing her role.

Megan changed the direction of the conversation at this point, knowing how much Tony hated to be the topic of conversation. "Ashley, did you guys go the Grand Prix today?"

"No, John took the kids to his Mom's house for the day. I had to finish up a project for work, so I decided to let them go on alone."

Tony quietly studied Megan's sister. Ashley was taller than Megan, about 5'6" and had golden brown hair and brown eyes. She seemed to be very easy going and smiled a lot. The rapport between her and Megan was obvious by their bantering back and forth.

It wasn't long before Tony's uneasiness subsided and she was drawn into the conversation. Megan and Ashley were both very gregarious and she relaxed and started enjoying herself.

Ashley decided she liked the tall dark woman. She seemed rather quiet, but Ashley had not missed how her eyes followed every move Megan made and the love projected from them. It was very obvious to her this woman was devoted to Megan. She also sensed they shared something very special and was happy with that knowledge.

Later that night, a memory wove its way through Tony's mind. Wistfully, she examined it...a happy time...so long ago...and she brutally forced it away, knowing she didn't deserve it and that it had only been brought on by the interaction she'd seen between Megan and her sister.

Megan looked over at Tony and saw a distant expression on her face. "What are ya thinking about?"

Tony pulled back from her ruminations and said, "You really don't want to know."

"Tony...I really do," Megan said meaningfully patting the spot on the bed next to her. "Please?" Tony looked at Megan and realized the simple word was more than a quest for knowledge, it was a plea for trust. Apprehensively she acquiesced to Megan's request hoping she wasn't about to lose her respect.

"Ok, but don't say I didn't warn you," her blue eyes glittering darkly, she joined Megan on the bed. Megan just took her hand in hers and held it.
"You wanted to know what my mother was like," Tony began, her thoughts going far back in time. As the memories filtered out she began voicing her thoughts aloud.

"My mother ran the family with an iron hand. But we were a close knit family and there was plenty of love to go around. We didn't have a lot, but there was always food on the table and a roof over our heads. Mom worked two jobs to keep us in clothes and other necessities. She worked really hard. You gotta give her a lot of credit, raising three children alone, but she refused to accept government aid."

When Tony stopped talking, Megan said, "She sounds pretty special."

"Yeah. She is. I think I was probably her biggest trial. I was always in trouble. I had an almost unerring ability to find it, usually dragging my brothers along. Mom was always having to come to school to pick me up. She tried her best, but most of our clothes were from Goodwill or the Salvation Army. The kids were pretty cruel. They were always making fun of us. So I retaliated. It didn't matter whether they targeted me or my brothers, I made them pay. So she got called. A lot. She used to tell me, "Tony, just ignore them. Words can't hurt you." But, the one thing I had learned from her already was pride. She was proud of us. She never let anyone talk down to her and I guess that's why I just refused to be looked down on."

Megan saw several emotions cross Tony's face as she related the story of a happy family and a home full of love. "Do you get to see her very often with all the traveling you do?"

Megan saw an expression of pain cover her lover's face. Squeezing her hand gently, she offered her support. The support gave Tony renewed strength to face the haunting memories, and she let her thoughts speak aloud once again.

The figures moved stealthily amidst the trees. The object of their hunt obscured in the branches of a tall tree, watching.

All of a sudden they heard gun fire. As the four on the ground quickly stopped and looked around, Tony exited the tree, landing softly near them. She put up a hand indicating silence, and slowly began to make her way toward the gunfire. The others began to follow and she stopped telling them to go back to the cabin. At George and Joey's protests, she told them she just wanted to see what was going on and then she'd meet them back there.

She waited until the other four began to make their way toward the cabin before continuing. On the streets of Boston she had often heard rumors of paramilitary groups operating in the mountains, but had never believed them. Tony knew she should just go back to the cabin with the others, but curiosity spurned her on. Unbeknownst to her, Joey and George had told Vinnie and Sharon that they we going to go with their sister and to go ahead to the cabin. They'd just come back with Tony. Since George was the oldest present, no one questioned his decision.
The boys began backtracking, careful to make sure they followed a route different from the one Tony had taken. Her temper was infamous and neither wanted to incur it. They figured they'd just meet up with her a little further on and then she'd have to let them come with her.

The gun fire grew louder, and she moved up in to the thick trees. From her vantage point, she saw a staggered group of eleven men moving through the woods. They seemed to be chasing something, but she couldn't make out what it was. Watching the group move toward her, a man suddenly came into sight bleeding from wounds to his leg and arm. Her first instinct was to help him, but the group of men following were approaching too quickly. They passed beneath her hiding place closing the gap on the wounded man.

Tony decided it was time to go back to the cabin and get help. There was no telephone, but they did have a ham radio. As she began to make her way down the tree, there were loud shouts by some of the men and the staccato clatter of machine guns once again filled the air. Scrambling back up the tree, what she saw froze the blood in her veins. The gunfire had abruptly stopped and the men were standing around two still bodies. The still forms wore the clothes of her brothers. The image burned into her mind as she watched frozen in horror.

The sounds of cursing, and bits of phrases drifted through the air, "You idiots...look what you've done...they're nothing but kids. At an unspoken command, the men began to haul ass away from the scene of carnage.

Tony never remembered exiting the tree or the mad dash to her brothers. She knelt first next to one and then the other and as the realization hit her that they were dead...and that she'd never hear their voices again, never join them in fun, never laugh with them, never tease them, or hug them, never nothing...ever again...and when the finality of their death ripped through her, she screamed, so full of hurt and anguish that it rocked her back on her heels. Her heart breaking, she choked out one last desperate plea, "No God...please God...no." She lifted each brother's head into her lap, caressing their faces, tears rolling down her face. The enormity of her role in this tragedy then began unfolding in her mind draping a mantle of guilt over her shoulders. Numbness soon followed.. This was her fault. She should have just gone back to the cabin with them. She hardly felt the hand that grasped her shoulder, not caring that she might be in danger, knowing she deserved any fate that may come her way.

"Kid, come on," said a man's voice as he put a hand on her shoulder. "We gotta get out of here. They could come back."

She never acknowledged the man, and couldn't have cared less if they came back. She deserved it. She had led her brothers to their death.

Desperate, the man walked around, leaned over the still forms cradled in front of her, grasped her shoulders in his hands and shook her. "Come on, kid. Now."

"I'm not leaving them," she said quietly, daring him to defy her.

The man sat down near her, his left trouser leg covered with blood, stanched by a tourniquet.. "You can't help them now. The only thing we can do is try to get who was responsible for this. If they come back and we don't get out of here, the same thing may happen to someone else. Please."

At his words anger began to build inside her. Her mind had grasped the words, ‘get who was responsible for this.' She gently moved each brother's head from her lap, and stood. Looking at the man, whose arm was still dripping blood, she unsnapped the first aid pack at her waist and field dressed the wound. Never saying a word, she began to walk toward the cabin.

The man was Chuck Parker. He was an FBI agent who had infiltrated the paramilitary group that had killed Tony's brothers. He had been betrayed. Once they arrived back at the cabin, he called for help and it came in the way of an FBI team. Tony was airlifted out along with her brothers' remains.

Tony couldn't bear to see the pain in her mother's eyes. She had caused it. She had led her brothers into danger. Her mother turned away from her in her grief, and knowing she was responsible, she turned away from her mother. She accepted the blame for her mother's pain, shouldering it along with the already enormous burden she had taken on. When the double funeral was over. She left.

The only life line offered was from Chuck Parker. As he befriended her, she learned all she could about the FBI and what she must do to become an agent. With a focus that was to become legendary, she threw herself into her college work. Working part time to support herself and taking courses full time, she had no time left for the mind numbing grief. She buried it deep inside, her only thoughts those of revenge.

Megan had pulled Tony's head against her when the telling of the story had lent silent tears to her face. Her heart cried out at the palpable pain emanating from her lover and she offered her support through the comfort of her contact. As the tortured eyes met hers, Megan listened to words so filled with self loathing, she almost shuddered at the intensity of them, "So what do you think of me now? I led my brothers to their death.

Megan blinked to clear her eyes and began to speak, "You didn't kill your brothers. They were accidentally killed in a random act of violence because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time." As Tony began to interrupt, Megan placed her fingers against her mouth, saying, "Ssh. You need to listen to what I have to say." Tightening her hold on Tony, she continued, "You cannot blame yourself for something you had no control over. You didn't know your brothers hadn't gone back to the cabin," she paused, softening her voice, "no matter how much we may want to, we can't control fate. You never led your brothers to danger. It found them." Megan captured her partner's eyes, and looking deeply into them, she continued, "Nothing can change what happened." Megan's voice was filled with a quiet certainty, and she finished, "But it wasn't your fault. Quit blaming yourself. Just let it go."

Maybe it was what the woman-child that had been buried along with the memories in Tony's mind for so long needed to hear and never had, or maybe it was just the conviction she heard in her partner's voice, but as the words caressed her troubled mind, Tony wanted to believe them. Tears are often a catharsis and Tony's fell freely. She finally mourned her brothers, and her lost innocence and took the first tentative steps out of a cloud of darkness that night. It would be a slow process, especially in so troubled a soul, but with love guiding her the healing could begin. Cradled in Megan's arms, the emotionally drained woman fell into an exhausted sleep.

Megan thought about what Tony had told her. She could understand what had happened between her and her mother. Perhaps the worst fate a mother can suffer is to outlive her children. And to lose two children so violently would have been devastating to any parent. Tony's mother had been unable to see the grief shared by her daughter because of her own. Thirty seconds of mindless violence on a warm summer afternoon had destroyed a family. Megan knew there would be no closure for Tony until she saw her mother. But until she was ready to, Megan would be there for her, to help guide her out of the dark shroud of guilt she had carried for far too long. Megan also understood the deep level of trust Tony had placed in her to have bared her soul. And she would guard it, and protect it at any cost.

Tony woke up the next morning, feeling more peace than she had known in a long time. Looking at Megan, she became so aware of her love for her it almost overwhelmed her. But she also realized something else. I need her. I REALLY need her. It was a startling revelation for someone who had decided never to love or need anyone years before. She didn't know when or how the change had come about, but she couldn't even begin to imagine life without Megan now.


Tony and Megan walked along the shores of Lake Erie, their hands intertwined, watching the waves crash over the breakers.

"It's really nice here," Tony said loving the sound of the crashing waves.

"Yeah. I've always like to come to the beach. Sometimes when I was going to college and I needed a quiet place to come, just to get away from all the pressure, it's where I came. I guess that's the reason I moved so close to it."

"I'm glad you did. It's kind of interesting that you picked such a friendly place." Megan knew Tony was referring to the large population of people in this particular suburb, who, like themselves, enjoyed alternative lifestyles. Tony had never cared one way or the other what people thought of her, well except for Megan, but she didn't want Megan to be uncomfortable and it was nice to blend in once in a while.
"Well, that part was unintentional," Megan replied. "I just liked the apartment and it was close to the lake. The other part is just kind of coincidence. But a good coincidence, I think," she said, smiling at Tony.

Relaxing after returning from the beach, Tony and Megan were watching a National Geographic special on TV.

"Aw, isn't that one cute? Look at those big eyes," Megan said.

"Yeah. It is kind of cute. I wonder what it is?"

The announcer answered the question for them calling the tiny dog a Brussels Griffon.

Did you ever have a dog when you were a kid?" asked Megan, looking up at Tony.

"Yeah. We had a part Lab dog called Vido. We had a lot of fun with him," Tony responded, "what about you?"

"No. Dad wouldn't let us have pets. He said they were too unsanitary. We always wanted one though. Every time I rescued a puppy or kitten off the street he took it down to the shelter. So I finally gave up," Megan replied.

"You rescued puppies and kittens too? I thought Mom was going to kill me for bringing home all the critters I did. Baby birds, kittens, and once a skunk. She was pretty mad about that one. But it was only a baby." Tony continued, "If you could have had any kind of dog you wanted, what would you have picked?"

"Oh, I think...um...maybe a cocker spaniel. They're kind of cute. What about you?"
"Definitely a Rottweiler," Tony responded.

"Tony! Aren't they mean?"

"Nope. That's a common misconception because of what some of the idiot owners do to them. If you treat them right, they're just big loveable teddy bears."

"Oh...kinda like you," Megan said watching her partner closely.

"MEGAN! I am NOT a big lovable teddy bear! Give me a break!" Tony sputtered with an incredulous look on her face, the image of a brown and white bear with a goofy smile and button eyes floating through her mind.

Megan smiled to herself and thought, gotcha. "I don't know...I think you're pretty lovable," Megan said and watched Tony's face turn a pretty shade of red before leaning over and rescuing her with a kiss.


They had finally caught a break. One of the informants Tony had interviewed had provided information on a drug dealer that specialized in *unusual* products on the street. His claim to fame was that he could get anything anyone wanted. Brian shook his head bemused. Tony's unusual interrogation technique had paid off once again. He had the fleeting thought of how nice it would be to have her as a permanent part of the team.

Walking across the squad room, he sent out two of the task force members to try to locate the drug dealer. He operated on the near east side. Walking over to the pop machine, he bought two coke's, taking one back to Tony.

"Hey Tony, if you ever consider leaving the FBI you got a job here if ya want it," he said handing her the coke."

Smiling over at Brian, Tony said, "Thanks Brian. I'll keep that in mind. But I think I'm a little old for the police academy."

"Not too old, just too advanced. You'd probably just embarrass the instructors," Brian grinned over at her.

"The man has a sense of humor," she jibed back. " I just hope this pans out. We could use a break."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. The brass have been on my ass since the last victim," he replied.

Later, the two task force members appeared with the drug dealer handcuffed between them. The information provided had been solid and the drug dealer was actually at a meet when accosted by the police officers. They took him to one of the interview rooms.

"He's all yours," Brian said to Tony.

"Let's let him sit for a while and worry. Since we got him on a legit bust, it'll soften him up. Besides, he has no idea why we really want to talk to him. Do we offer him a deal if it's worth our while?"

"Yeah. That coke he was selling was small time stuff," Brian said. "If it'll give us a break on the Shadow case it'd be worth it."

An hour later, Tony made her way to the interview room while Brian ensconced himself behind the two way glass. Brian watched the tall woman with interest. She walked into the room and looked at the lowlife sitting in the chair. Moving to the chair across the table from him, she sat down. With an even expression she just sat there watching him. As he grew increasingly uncomfortable, he began shifting around in his chair. Finally, unable to tolerate the implacable woman sitting across from him, he sneered, "If you got nothing to say, why don't you get out of here? I ain't gonna tell ya nothing anyway. I want a lawyer."

Tony's expression changed and a feral smile appeared. "Let's see...possession, selling, plus your priors...um...what's that good for ten to fifteen? I can call you a lawyer, no problem. It's a done deal, you got a ticket straight back to the joint. Got your things packed?"

Tony paused watching the man across from her. His bravado was becoming unraveled a little at a time. "A lawyer can't do anything for you. But I might be able to. Now, do you still want a lawyer?"

Looking at her suspiciously, he asked, "What do you want?"

"I heard you been selling some little vials on the street. I want to know where you been getting them from and who you've been selling them to," Tony asked, her expression callous.

Tony noticed a slight change in the demeanor of the dealer sitting across from her. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Tony mused, so we do have the right guy. Ok, lets play. "Ya know Reg, I don't believe you. I think you know exactly what I'm talking about. Now we can stop playing games or I will call that lawyer for you."

"What's in it for me?" the dealer parleyed back.

"It depends. If you give up the buyer and who you're getting it from, I'll put in a good word with the prosecutor for you."

"Fuck that. That ain't good enough," he said crossing him arms staring defiantly at her.

"Oh, I think it's better than you deserve," Tony said, pale blue eyes glaring and her smile feral. Walking around the table, she leaned over and whispered a few words in to his ear, and then walked away and leaned against the wall.

Brian watched in amazement in the observation room. Whatever she had said to the dealer had caused him to become very pale and he literally started spilling his guts.

"I been getting it from some doctor at City Hospital. He needs money. So he gets me what I ask for. The dude been buying it, I don't know who he is. We meet in the warehouse district by the Flats. I only sold to him twice," Reg spit out.

"What's he look like?"
"Like any guy. About tall as you. Got brown hair and a beard and mustache," Reg answered.

"Reg...you going to make me ask you every single thing? Now tell me about him," Tony growled back.

"He was wearing jeans and a sports shirt both times. He sets up the meets for midnight and then he always gets there early, before me. He don't talk street. He bought three the first time and five the second time. Ain't nothing else to tell."

"Now tell me about the doctor you've been getting the stuff from?" Tony asked, still leaning against the wall. Once Tony had all the information she felt she could get from Reg, she left the interview room.

Brian grinned at her and said, "You're good. But I really wanna know what you whispered to him?" Tony just shrugged, quirk a smile at him, and said, "Sorry, trade secret." Brian just rolled his eyes.


Megan began to feel restless. All her autopsy reports were pending until the lab results returned, and the city had been quiet. She was glad the Shadow killer had also taken a break. She wondered if it was because of the newspaper article Mark had written. He had done an excellent job of portraying the killer as a bonafide lunatic. If that article didn't lure him out, nothing would.

***

Megan's thoughts turned to Dwayne. She hardly ever saw him anymore. Not that she minded, but it seemed a little strange. At one time she just thought he had a temper and would never resort to violence, but now she wasn't so sure. She had seen a look he had given her yesterday when he thought she wasn't looking. Megan had not told Tony. She was afraid of what Tony might do. Megan still wanted to believe he just had a bad temper and would not resort to anything more than the looks of hatred he seemed especially fond of giving her.


The next couple of days passed quietly with no new developments in the case. Tony and Megan had settled into a comfortable routine. Tony continued driving Megan to work, so Megan took the opportunity to get some warranty work done on her car. In this case it was a toggle switch for switching the air bags on or off.

"Will you just take it easy?" Megan said, her hands on Tony's arms. " You can't go every single place I do. That's why I got the cellular phone."

Tony knew Megan was right, but that didn't stop the concern she felt about Megan going out alone at night. "It would make me feel a lot better if I went with you," Tony said. "I'll just sit here and worry about you."

Megan hugged Tony, "You don't need to worry. There will be cops all over the place. Who could possibly bother me there and besides you can't enter the crime scene anyway, so what are you going to do, sit in the car?"

"I don't mind waiting in the car."

Megan looked up at the tall woman's worry etched face. She was so over protective. There had been no problems for the last week, and Megan felt perhaps the attack against her had been random after all. Going out at night was part of her job. Tony was just going to have to understand that.

"Tony..."

"Ok, but I want you to call me before you leave the crime scene so I can wait for you downstairs," Tony said, not at all happy with the outcome of this conversation.

Megan pulled her head down for a kiss. "I will, and don't worry. It's ok, really. And the sooner I leave the sooner I can get back," Megan said, smiling.

"I know," Tony said. After getting off the elevator, Tony walked with Megan to the car. She opened the door, reached in and switched on the kill switch under the dash, and then handed Megan the car keys. "Don't forget to call before you leave."

"Ok. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Megan drove to the crime scene going over what little she knew. The victim had been found on the near west side stabbed to death. Apparently the police were also questioning the possibility of a rape attempt.

Megan got out of the car and followed the flashing lights cutting a path through the darkness as she was approaching the crime scene. Flashing her badge, she was led to the victim. Megan looked at the victim and then looked away quickly. Taking a deep breath, she forced her mind to find the clinical detachment she had to have in order to proceed. Megan was having difficulty with that tonight. This was so brutal. How could anyone do this. This wasn't just the result of cold blooded killing. This was the result of insane rage. Finally, corralling the revulsion and swallowing down the nausea this act of atrocity had sparked, she began her examination.

Tony waited impatiently for Megan to call. She had been gone for over an hour. Tony knew an hour wasn't very long but she just couldn't stop worrying. She wished for an end to the Shadow case. The idea that the victims were remarkably similar in appearance to Megan was one she had not shared with her partner. But she hadn't planned on Megan taking off by herself either. Tony turned on the TV and flipped through the channels before turning it off again. Walking over to the stereo, she turned it on. Music usually relaxed her. Not tonight, though. She had a bad feeling she couldn't shake. Tony trusted her instincts, but she also realized she was very over protective of Megan and wondered if she was just over-reacting. Starting as the phone rang, Tony quickly answered, "Hello."

"Hi," Megan said, "we should be done here in a few minutes, so I should be home in around 20 minutes or so."

"You be careful. I'll wait by the elevator," Tony replied relieved at the sound of Megan's voice.

Tony still couldn't shake the sense of foreboding that had come over her and she decided to go down to the garage now instead of waiting. Stepping out of the elevator she moved to a dark area and leaned easily against the wall. Most of the tenants were already home, so she didn't expect to see anyone. For ten minutes she casually scanned the garage looking for anything out of place.

As her eyes turned toward the garage entrance, her peripheral vision glimpsed a quickly moving shadow near the row of cars by the door. All her senses were engaged as she felt rather than saw the other presence. Knowing she wasn't visible unless someone was within 3 feet of her, she began scrutinizing the rows of cars near the entrance slowly. Her eyes moved slowly over each car, and down each row. There, in the third row, fifth car over, was an unnatural shadow. She riveted her eyes to the spot, her whole body tensing as she waited for the shadow to move. Tony didn't have to wait long. The shadowed figure began moving stealthily from row to row, ever closer to the elevator entrance. Moving deeper in the shadows, she watched the figure approach. She was now able to make out the shape of a man, roughly her height, with a medium build. He stopped and bent down, hidden from view one row over from the elevator, which Tony wryly noted, was also one row over from Megan's parking spot.

Tony thought over her options. Megan was due back any minute now. Obviously the man wasn't here for a social visit. She had been unable to get a good look at him, but he loosely fit the description of the man who had attacked Megan. Yet to roust him now would prove nothing because no crime had been committed. Cursing the lack of foresight that had caused her to leave her gun upstairs she began moving very slowly along the wall, intending to be within striking distance once his intentions became clear.

Headlights illuminated the walls of the garage as the familiar Buick pulled in and rolled into the parking place near the elevator. Megan got out of the car, locked it with the keypad, and quickly looked around before making her way to the elevator. Tony was supposed to be waiting for her and even though she didn't like to admit it, she was a little nervous. But her nervousness quickly gave way to concern. It wasn't like Tony not to be here waiting for her. Well maybe she fell asleep. That thought didn't bring her much comfort, though, because she had talked to her not even 20 minutes ago.

Megan's mind barely had time to register a body hurtling toward her while simultaneously recognizing it as Tony when she was practically knocked over by a forceful shove. Struggling to maintain her balance, her heart almost stopped at the sight before her.

Tony saw the man pop up from behind the car and begin a sprint toward Megan. Without conscious thought she propelled her body forward shoving Megan back placing herself between them. Settling comfortably in to the role of predator, every muscle tense, she waited for him to make the next move.

The sudden movement had caused the man to stop and when he entered the light, Tony recognized Dwayne. The thought flickered through her mind that he looked like something ripped from the screen of a horror movie. Standing in front of her, he was covered with blood and waving a knife around. When she saw the maniacal gleam in his eyes Tony realized Dwayne had gone over the edge.

Megan backed up against the wall and pulled the cellular phone from her purse. Dialing 911, she requested assistance and then, after identifying herself, she asked that Sgt. Davies also be notified. Disconnecting the phone, her eyes stayed focused on the scene in front of her.

Tony and Dwayne moved counterclockwise feinting in and out. Tony was very careful to stay out of his reach and tried to draw him off balance. Lunging at her, she side stepped, attempting to disarm him. Surprisingly, though, his reflexes were quicker than she anticipated and allowed him to escape the movement, her hand grazing his arm. Lunging in and out, it was a dance of predators each matching the other's move with a counter move. Dwayne's gestures became more frenzied and he began taunting, "You got lucky last time bitch. You're mine now." Tony absorbed the words and realized this was the bastard that had stabbed her. Deciding to put an end to this quickly, she thrust her leg up and out in a lightening quick move dislodging the knife from his hand. Gaining the advantage, she moved forward quickly, kicking the knife across the floor. Dwayne countered with a spinning sidekick which she partially deflected with her arm while simultaneously leaping away before the impact could be felt. Taking advantage of Dwayne's forward momentum, she threw the weight of her body behind her fist and aimed for his solar plexus. Dwayne's face reflected surprise as he grunted in pain and gasped for air. While he struggled for breath, she followed up by sweeping his legs out from under him knocking him to the floor.

Tony reached down, grabbing Dwayne by the shirt, with every intention of slamming his head into the floor when she heard, "Tony," and felt Megan's hand on her shoulder. For a long second she was frozen before releasing some of the tension from her body letting Dwayne slump to the floor. Keeping the prone figure in sight, Tony turned to Megan.

Megan watched the two face off praying for the cops to get there. Tony had put herself in danger to protect her, and there was nothing she could do to help.

Megan asked, "You ok?
Tony quirked a half smile and nodded her head. "I'm fine. What about you? Didn't mean to push you so hard." Her attention was drawn to Dwayne who had struggled to a sitting position. "That's about as far as you need to go," Tony growled at him.

His retort was lost in the commotion of the arriving police cars, as patrol officers with guns drawn moved quickly toward them. Shouting obscenities at Tony, Dwayne was handcuffed and led to a patrol car. Tony was giving a patrolman her statement when Brian arrived. Walking over, he said to the patrolman, "I'll take it from here."

Looking at Megan and Tony he asked them, "You two all right?" Tony shook her head and Megan answered, "yes."

"Tony would you mind coming down to the station to give your statement? From the looks of him, he's going to be nailed for more than attempted assault and I want an iron clad case. So let's do everything by the book."

"Ok," Tony said. "I'll meet you down there." Looking at Megan, she said, "I forgot something upstairs."

Riding the elevator up, Tony once again asked, "are you ok?" Megan smiled at her, "Yeah, I'm fine. What did you forget?"

Tony cocked her head raising her eyebrow slightly, saying, "My gun," knowing Megan was not fond of them. "Oh," said Megan.

Entering the apartment, Tony began to walk toward the bedroom, stopping when she felt Megan's hand on her arm. Turning around, Megan threw both arms around her in a fierce hug. Returning the hug, Tony asked, "What's this for?"

Megan rested her head against Tony chest the, whole scene playing over in her mind, and she knew she would be lost without this tall, dark woman standing there holding her. She could never go back to the way her life had been before. The thought flickered though her mind, what life. "I was so worried about you. He could have really hurt you. He had a knife. I never want to go through that again."

Tony rested her chin on Megan's head, "I'll do my best to make sure you never do," she said unhappy that she had worried her lover. "But Megan," she paused, lifting her head and gazing into the hazel eyes looking up at her, "he wanted to hurt you, and I'm going to do my level best to make damn sure no one ever does that, no matter what it takes."
Megan found herself captivated by the deep blue eyes that radiated a love she never thought she'd find. "I love you so much," she murmured placing her hands in the long dark hair covering Tony's neck, gently urging her head down meeting the soft lips with her own.

Tony held her for a few minutes before saying, "I have to go. Reluctantly releasing her she went to get her gun. Slipping the gun into place before going back to the living room, she said, "Why don't you go to bed? I don't know how long I'll be."

Megan looked at Tony and smiled, "I think I'll wait up," raising her fingers to Tony's mouth to stop the rebuttal. "Just humor me, ok?" Tony placed her hand on Megan's face, gently caressing it and said, "Ok."

Brian watched Tony walk gracefully across the squad room toward him, her beauty not lost on him. He was very fond of the tall FBI agent and impressed with her skill. How she had disarmed that lowlife tonight, he didn't know. But he intended to find out,

He nodded his head in greeting, "Want to fill me in?"

When Tony finished relating the events to Brian she noticed a quizzical expression on his face. "What?" Taking a calculated risk, he asked, "You two stay together?"

Tony felt herself overcome with anger, "I don't see how that's any of your business."

Brian was not fazed. He had expected the reaction. "Tony...I asked you as a friend not a cop. I happen to like you and I care about people I like. So if you don't want to answer, fine. Don't. It's no big deal anyway."

Tony willed herself to calm down. "Sorry. There's just been so much going on lately. The attack last week and then tonight. And if that's not bad enough, all the Shadow killer's victims look like her." Tony paused, piercing Brian with her eyes, "But to answer your question, yeah, we stay together," adding, "and I just happen to be in love with her. So if you don't like that..."

Brian interrupted her, by saying, "Good. I thought so. So when are you two coming over to meet my wife and kids?"

Tony was so surprised her jaw dropped open causing Brian to start laughing. Snapping her mouth closed, and clearing her throat, she said, "You thought so?"

"Hell, Tony, your face gives it away every time you look at her. It's a dead giveaway."

Tony felt her face redden and said, "Um...maybe we could have a rain check for after we solve this case." Brian agreed that sounded like a good idea.

"You ready to interrogate that dirt ball?"

"What are ya crazy? He'll never talk to me. He did nothing but cus me out the whole time he was being led to the patrol car."

"It seems he's had a change of heart. Now he's asking for you."
Tony rolled her eyes. Just what she needed. So much for getting home anytime soon. "Did he asked for a lawyer?"

"No. He waived his rights. Said he'd only talk to you though."

Dwayne had been most cooperative. He drifted from cursing Tony out for taking a man's job to bragging about what he did to women who didn't know their place. He spent the remaining time confessing to a multitude of crimes, including all of the rapes on the near west side, and the Shadow killings. He delighted in telling Tony in graphic detail exactly how he had perpetrated the crimes, including his attack on her. He was relating each rape case in excruciating detail and they had already been at it for 2 hours.

Tony was repulsed by his graphic depiction of the crimes he committed and thought about all the irreparable harm he had caused to the victims that were still alive. She decided to take a break, more for her sanity than anything. Walking out of the interrogation room, she decided to call Megan and tell her not to wait up. This was going to be an all nighter.

"Hi," she said smiling into the phone as Megan answered.

"Hi yourself. When you coming home?"

"I got stuck interrogating Dwayne. He wouldn't talk to anyone else. So why don't you go to bed? It's going to be a long night."

"How about I come down there? I'm really not tired and I've got to give a statement sometime anyway."

"There's no reason for you to come down here. Your statement can wait until tomorrow, and besides, you'll just be bored."

"I'm bored here. Besides you're down there and that happens to be reason enough for me. I can take a cab down."

"No. I'll have Brian send someone for you, if you really want to come down here."

"I really want to. See you soon," Megan said ending the conversation before Tony decided to argue the point some more. There was no way she was sitting in the apartment by herself as keyed up as she was. Even if Tony was busy, there would be cops to talk to, and that was much more appealing than staying here. The fact that it was close to midnight was no big deal.

"Hey Brian," Tony said walking over to the big man, "Megan wants to come down and give her statement tonight. Her car's in the shop. Is there anyone that can pick her up. Otherwise I'll go get her. It wouldn't take long."
"I'll find someone. There is no way you can leave now. Not with Dwayne singing like a bird. You've only been out of there 5 minutes and he's already asking for you."

Tony groaned, her eyes darkening, "You know what I'd like to do with him?"

"Somehow I don't think I want to know," Brian said. "Go ahead and get it over with. I'll find someone to pick up Megan."

"Thanks," she said walking toward the interrogation room.

Megan put on a pair of jeans and a pullover top. A short time late the door bell chimed. Depressing the button on the speaker, she said, "Yes."

"I was sent to pick you up," came the distorted voice through the speaker.

"Ok." Megan depressed the button to disengage the lock on the downstairs door. When the knock sounded on the door, Megan looked through the peep hole and opened it, smiling at the familiar figure. "How'd you get elected?"

Mark smiled a lazy smile and said "I heard what happened on the scanner so I went over to the station waiting for them to arrive. Tony's been tied up in the interrogation room and a semi turned over on dead man's curve again. All the patrol units are tied up over there because it happened at the same time the Michael Bolton concert let out. So Brian asked me to come and get you," he related.

"Thanks. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, I'm just glad I'm not stuck in that traffic. You ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go."

Tony took another break. Her mood was very dark after spending another hour in the interrogation room. Dwayne had started describing the murders, but for some reason he refused to go into detail like he had on the rapes. He was toying with her and she could think of some very creative ways to make him talk. Unfortunately, she couldn't do that here.

Her thoughts quickly brightened at the thought of seeing Megan. She'd be here now. Even though she had tried to discourage her from coming down, there was no one Tony wanted to see more right now.

Tony walked through the squad room and then to the conference room. Not seeing Megan, she asked Brian, "Do you know where Megan's at?"

"She'll be here any minute. There's a big accident on 90 and they got tied up in all the concert traffic. Mark just called in and told me why it was taking so long."
"Mark, as in the reporter?" Seeing Brian shake his head affirmatively, she asked, "Why did you send him?"

"The patrol cars are all tied up on the accident and besides, he and Megan know each other."

"Oh, that's right." Tony turned and walked into the task force room. Trying to focus her attention away from Dwayne, she saw an envelope with the familiar FBI logo on the corner resting in her in-box. Walking over, she picked it up and opened it. Sitting down at the table, she began to read. She had requested this background check over a week ago, but had had to call in a few markers to get the military file. St. Louis wasn't real fond of releasing information, even if it was to other government agencies.

Megan looked over at Mark and asked, "Why are we going this way? It'd be shorter to just cut through on W. 3rd."

"We should miss all the traffic this way. A lot of other people are probably using that cut through," Mark said steering the car down the hill leading in to the Flats.

Megan was still puzzled at the route Mark had chosen. If they followed the Flats straight through they would exit right into downtown Cleveland. And if the concert had just let out, they would be right in the middle of all the traffic.

"Anything new on the case? Did the newspaper article help? Do you think the killer got the message?" Mark asked amiably.

"Nothing new that I know of. But you really did a good job on the newspaper article. If it doesn't send a message to the killer nothing will," Megan said.

Exiting the west side of the Flats into downtown, they became embroiled in traffic. While they were sitting in the stand still traffic, Mark picked up the cellular phone mounted on the dash and called Brian. "Hi Brian, it's Mark. We're stuck in the traffic downtown, but we should be there shortly. I figure another 20 minutes or so."

Mark said, "Damn," when he missed a turn, unable to get into the right lane. Trying to maneuver through the traffic to the left lane so he could turn and go back, he ended up being forced to make a turn putting them on the road leading to the east side of the Flats.

"Looks like we get to tour the other side now," Megan quipped, amused at his uncharacteristic slip of the mild curse. She had never heard him utter anything worse than darn.

Just then her cellular phone rang. Pulling it out of her purse, she answered, "Hello."

The words of the file burned themselves in to Tony's mind, and she was momentarily stunned. Panic reared it's ugly head when the ramifications of what she had read settled to the forefront of her brain. Standing, taking a deep breath and forcing herself to focus, a familiar coldness came over her. A very capable FBI agent had entered the room. One of the best and most deadly FBI operatives left the room a short time later.

Adrenaline racing through her, Tony walked around to the side of Brian's desk, placing her hands on his shirt and literally pulled the large man to his feet. "You bastard. If anything happens to her, I'll kill you."

Brian was shocked as he was lifted to his feet. No one was that strong. He hardly recognized Tony. He had watched her intimidate the hell out of the informants when she interrogated them, but that image paled in comparison to the woman standing before. Looking in to the dark hooded eyes glaring at him Brian had no doubt she meant exactly what she said.

"Tony, calm down. What the hell's going on. I'm on your side," Brian said with a forced calmness he did not feel.

Tony let go and in a voice so cold it was devoid of emotion, she said, "Mark is most probably the Shadow killer, and YOU sent him to pick Megan up. Get some men down in to the east side of the Flats now. Make sure they understand to use land line only. You make it damn clear no one plays hero. I don't want anyone approaching him," she growled. "While you're contacting them and waiting for the call backs, I'm going to try to reach Megan by cellular phone and warn her."

Tony was so relieved to hear Megan answer the phone, she had to sit down. "It's Tony. Just listen and don't say anything. I think Mark may be the Shadow killer. If you get any opportunity to get away from him take it. Now just act like I'm asking you when you'll get here."

Megan was surprised at Tony's words. Answering nonchalantly, she said, "We'll be there shortly. We got forced in to a wrong turn downtown and ended up in the east side of the Flats. So probably around 10 minutes or so," Megan said playing along with the charade.

"Ok. We're on our way," Tony said.

Putting the phone back in her purse, Megan thought about what Tony had said. She was having a hard time thinking of Mark as a killer. She had been out to dinner with him several times and he had been nothing but a perfect gentleman. Even tonight, although they were taking a round about way to get to the station, he had made no threatening overtures. But she knew Tony would not unnecessarily alarm her either. Maybe she could draw him out a little.

She needn't have worried, Mark was ready to talk. "Who was that?"
"Tony. She was just wondering when we were going to get there."

Mark pulled into the one large parking lot of the Flats. Megan started becoming alarmed. She looked around and saw the Flats were still busy. "Mark, why are we stopping here?"

"I wanted to talk to you. I knew once we got to the station, I wouldn't get the chance," he said smiling over at her. Mark watched Megan as he began talking. "You look a lot like my aunt did when she was younger. I lived with her after my parents died. She took me in out of a sense of responsibility. You know, family and all that. She didn't like me though. She blamed me for my parent's deaths. She was right too. But she couldn't prove it. After all, I was only 10 when they died."

Megan felt a chill at Mark's words and slipped her hand toward the door handle. Trying to keep Mark from noticing what she was doing, she asked, "Why are you telling me this?"

"I just want you to understand why I'm going to kill you," he said, with the pleasant smile still firmly in place on his face.

Megan forgot all about stealth, the cold reality that she was sitting next to the Shadow killer sinking into her mind, and she grabbed the door handle lifting it. The door did not open. Mark said, "Oh, you can't get out. The door has safety locks. Only I can control them. Now how about just sitting there quietly. It wouldn't do to have someone notice you struggling to get out of the car."

"Why are you doing this? What's it going to accomplish?" Megan asked deciding her only option at this point was to keep him talking. Help would be arriving soon. If she could just keep him occupied until then. "I thought we were friends."

"So did I. I really thought you were different. But I was wrong."

"Mark, what are you talking about? I've haven't done anything to you."

"Oh but you did. Remember when I asked you if you agreed with the statement your FBI friend issued. That kind of put everything into perspective for me," Mark paused, and chuckled. Continuing, he said, "You almost fooled me. Gotta give you a lot of credit for that."

If Megan had any doubt she was dealing with a cold blooded sociopath, the eerie chuckling completely dispelled the notion.


Tony hung up the phone and moved quickly through the squad room dodging desks. "Brian...come on," she said, passing his desk en route to the front doors of the station.
Brain had finished notifying the patrol officers and task force members and forward momentum was moving his large frame the instant he cleared the chair. Running after Tony he gained the street seconds after she did and yelled over at her, "My car. I've got a light." The car was moving before either door was closed and Brian slapped the light on top of the car, and then turned to Tony, "Fill me in."

"We should've had all this before but because he was in the army, and you know how St. Louis is about letting loose of those records, everything was being held pending the arrival of the army file. First off, his parents mysteriously died a house fire in which the firemen found Mark standing outside the house watching it burn. It was determined the fire was caused by arson, but the case was never solved. No one ever understood how he got out. He was only 10 years old. From there he went to live with an aunt. She died mysteriously when he was 17. The brake line on her car had been cut. Shortly thereafter, he joined the army. He was an Operating Room Technician. At each of his three assignments, there were some mysterious deaths. Patients that had routine surgeries like appendectomies died of unknown causes. Each time he left for a new assignment, there were no more deaths. He was being investigated by CID when he got out in 1996. They never had anything on him except suspicions. So after his discharge they coded his file to preclude him ever from re-enlisting. Since it was coded it took longer to get the file and find out why he was barred from re-enlistment."

"That doesn't really prove anything," Brian said, weighing the evidence she provided.

"No it doesn't. But since death seems to follow him around are you willing to gamble with Megan's life?" Tony ominously growled at him before adding, "because I'm not. Will you step on it. I'd like to get there before daylight."

"Take it easy, all right. What good it's going to do us if we get in an accident on the way there," Brian said, trying to calm the agent sitting next to him.

"Everyone is supposed to meet at the entrance to the Flats. We'll rendezvous with them there. If you don't have any better ideas, the best bet seems to be putting everyone on foot covering a different sector."

"Fine," Tony said forcing herself to stay focused and not think about the possible outcomes of the night.

Tony was becoming frantic. They had been looking for 15 minutes and no one had seen them. The Flats just weren't that big. All the radios had been switched to an alternate channel that couldn't be picked up by anyone that was listening to the police bands. Tony began loping easily through the Flats. Too much time had passed. She had to find her.

The only sound was that of soft soled shoes hitting the pavement. Turning down the first alley, her long stride quickly ate up the distance to the pier. She turned left along the pier heading for the next alley that would take her back up to the streets of the Flats. Relentlessly, she covered the ground, the only thoughts in her head, no, not again. I've got to find her. Not again. I won't let it happen. Not again. Not again. Not again. The words echoing a cadence to the sound of her shoes hitting the pavement. Not finding them in the second alley, Tony ran along the street, dodging people, increasing her speed en route to the next alley. Coming up on it fast, making the right turn and running toward the sound of the river, she momentarily paused. No one, nothing, empty. Where is she? There was only one more alley.

Mark looked out the window of the car and said, "Looks like we might have company. Better get moving. Oh and Megan, don't try anything stupid." Megan found herself looking down the barrel of a gun pointed directly at her.

"Now, this is what we're going to do. You scoot over to my side of the car when I get out. Then you get out. If you try to attract attention in any way, you'll just die sooner. I don't really care whether I kill you here or at the pier," Mark said, still smiling pleasantly.

Megan felt panic begin to set in. He was a monster. Even if Tony arrived in time, what could she do. Mark had a gun. She took a deep breath trying to calm her frayed nerves. She knew if she lost it, she wouldn't have a chance. The only thing she could do was play along and wait for an opportunity to present itself.

Making her way across the seat, she stood next to Mark outside of the car door. He draped an arm across her and kept the gun pressed against her side under the cover of his jacket. They made their way through the Flats staying in the most crowded areas, looking just like every other couple strolling along.

"Why don't you just let me go? This place is crawling with cops. Everyone knows I'm with you. You could get away then," Megan asked very reasonably.

Mark looked at her and said, "You just don't give me any credit do ya? Don't you think I planned this. This is the ultimate thrill Megan. I get to kill you right in front of their noses and I still get away. I'm not into suicide. Everything's been in place for days. I just got lucky tonight when Brian asked me to pick you up."

"You'll never get away with it. No plan is good enough to get around all these cops," Megan said trying to make him angry enough to reveal what he had in mind. If she could just find out she might have a chance.

"I know what you're trying to do. But it really doesn't matter, so I guess I'll tell you. We are going down the last alley. You see the cops started searching there first and are now making their way up the street. Once we get down there, you and I are going to take a walk along the pier. That's where it ends for you. I just slip into the water. I already have my papers for my new identity and a disguise hidden in plastic under the pier across the river." Mark looked very pleased with himself as he related his plan to Megan. Mark had timed it perfectly and they were now on the pier. Still keeping the gun aimed at her, he pulled a small bottle from his pocket.
Megan shuddered, knowing all too well what the contents held. If he got close enough to the river maybe she could knock him in. She thought about some of the self defense moves she had been taught and wondered if she could pull it off without getting shot in the process. He just wasn't close enough.

Tony began running down the last alley. Nearing the end, she heard someone talking. Slowing, she merged with the shadows along the walls. Stealthily inching her way forward, until she could see who was talking she froze at the sight. Mark was standing on the pier holding a gun on Megan and a small dispenser in his other hand moving it toward her, saying, "Goodbye Megan."

In a smoothly practiced move Tony drew her gun. She scuffed her shoe against the ground, hoping to draw Mark's attention, knowing she would have only one chance to take him out. His gun momentarily moved off of Megan and toward the sound. He looked at Tony while simultaneously depressing the aerosol contents. When the gun moved away from Megan, Tony fired. Simultaneously, Mark and Megan dropped to the ground.

Tony was at Megan's side before she hit the ground. Cradling Megan in her arms, she broke all radio discipline yelling into the radio, "Call an ambulance now!"

Tony's mind fought to remember everything Megan had told her about the drug. Think. It paralyzes the muscles. The victim can't breath. I need to breath for her. Tony began mouth to mouth resuscitation her mind continuing to feed her instructions. The victim can hear and feel and see everything, but their muscles won't respond. Tony looked into Megan's eyes and saw the panic reflected back at her. In between measured breaths, she told her, "just hang on. Help's coming," breath. The drug's effects wear off quickly, just keep breathing for her. As Tony continued the rhythmic breathing, Megan's eyes began to get glassy. She's not getting enough air. Tony increased the frequency of the breaths, unable to talk, but her mind carried on it's own conversation. Hang in there, please. Just a little longer. Don't give up. I love you. Don't leave me. Tony was unaware of her free falling tears as she pushed herself to dizziness trying to get air into Megan's lungs. Not again, please God, not again. Come on Megan, stay with me. Help's on the way. Tony didn't know how much time had passed, but becoming lightheaded with effort, she knew she couldn't keep going much longer. She ignored the cops when they arrived, her mind totally focused on keeping her lover alive.

Megan felt her panic rise when the effects of the drug took hold and she found herself unable to breath. Then Tony was there. Megan was never so glad to see anyone in her life. She felt the air her partner was forcing into her lungs and her panic began subsiding. Tony wouldn't let her die. But even though air was being forced into her lungs, her oxygen deprived body needed more. She began to feel lightheaded, and as blackness approached, she thought, I'm going to die. I love you, Tony. It's not your fault, you did your best. Don't blame yourself. Before the darkness totally engulfed her she began to feel less lightheaded. Her eyes cleared and she watched Tony work harder forcing more air into her lungs. Her face became wet from the tears falling from Tony's eyes as she worked feverishly to save her.

Frantically keeping up her resuscitation efforts, Tony felt a small air rush escape Megan's mouth. This was not the passive outflow of the air she had breathed into her partner's lungs. Not totally sure it wasn't her imagination, she forced more air into Megan, her adrenaline kicking in, as her stamina was giving out. More air rushed out this time. Stopping and placing her hand on Megan's chest, she felt the muscles contracting and rhythmic breathing begin. She's breathing...oh God...thank you. The last effects of the drug wore off, and Megan's breathing settled into normal respirations, her muscles responding to her brain's commands. Tony sat down on the ground next to Megan and lifted her head and shoulders into her lap. Waiting for Megan to regain command of all her muscles, she was too overcome with emotion from the close call to say anything.

Tony followed the orderly taking Megan to her room, the ambulance ride and chaotic events in the emergency room playing through her mind. They were keeping Megan overnight for observation.

Pulling a chair next to Megan's bed, Tony sat down and reached for her hand. Megan looked at Tony's red rimmed eyes, squeezed her hand and said, "Hey, it's ok. I'm fine...really."

"I thought...I thought I was going to lose you." Tony said struggling for control. "I don't know what I'd do without you. I was so afraid...I love you so much."

Looking into Tony's eyes, Megan said, "I know you do and I love you too." Pausing, she continued, "I was scared too. I didn't want to leave you...leave what we have." Smiling, she said, "You were pretty amazing. You know you saved my life, don't you?" Trying to lighten the atmosphere, she continued, "does that mean we're even?"

A small smile appeared on Tony's face. "I'm just glad you're ok. I never want to go through that again."

"Mark's dead, isn't he?"

"Yeah. Brian told me when I was in the waiting room. I didn't have any choice."

"Tony...believe me, I'm not criticizing you. If you hadn't been there..." Megan shuddered. Tony sat on the bed and drew Megan into a hug. "I'm just glad you're ok."
Tony and Megan took the next few days off, just enjoying each other's company. It was a well-deserved rest for both of them.

"I talked to Brian earlier. Dwayne's been indicted for one murder and for all five rapes on the west side. Some of the victims agreed to testify against him, so he's looking at the death penalty."
Megan looked over at Tony and smiled. "You know since I've met you there hasn't been a dull moment." Tony put her arm around Megan, pulling her closer.

Looking thoughtful, Megan said, "This case would make a really good book. Just think...a drug that's close to impossible to detect, an organized sociopath..."

"So, why don't you write it?"

"I'm not a writer, I'm a doctor," Megan said.

"You said you once wanted to write. Why can't you do both? There are a lot of authors that are doctors."

"Yeah, I know."

Tony looked at Megan. "What changed your mind about not writing? Did you just lose interest?"

"It's kind of a long story."

Tony said, "If you don't want to talk about it, that's ok." She was a little hurt though.

Megan glanced at Tony and saw the fleeting expression of hurt, before laying her head against her shoulder. It was time to share. "I did want to be a writer once. As a child, I loved stories. I don't remember ever learning how to read. It just seems like I always could. Dad didn't like me reading all the time. He'd take the books. It was a real challenge to keep some of them hidden. Back then, I knew I was going to be a writer. My goal in life was to write fiction." Megan paused to gather her thoughts. "Are you sure you want to hear this? It's really kind of boring."

Tony kissed her on top of the head. "Yeah. I'm sure."

"When I was in junior high, my English teacher put a sentence on the board. I don't even remember what it was anymore. She told us to make up a story using the sentence that was one page long. Well for some reason something clicked when I saw that sentence and I wrote a science fiction story. You know how sometimes you can just tell something you did is really good? Well that's the way I felt about that story. I got an A. The teacher wrote ‘excellent' on it. I was so proud of myself. I couldn't wait to get home and show it to Mom and Dad."

Megan's mind flashed back remembering that day. She was drawn out of her private reverie when Tony asked, "So...what did they say?" Megan sighed, taking comfort in the closeness of her partner. When she didn't answer, Tony said, "If you don't want to talk about, it's ok."

"No...it's not that. I just haven't thought about it for a long time. For some reason this case just made me think about writing and how it would make such an interesting story. I never thought I'd feel that way again."

"I take it they didn't like your story," Tony surmised.

Smiling ruefully, Megan said, "Yeah, I guess you could say that. I got home and Mom wasn't around. I found Dad in the living room. He didn't believe I wrote the story. No matter what I said I couldn't convince him it was my work."

"Why didn't he believe you?" Tony asked, puzzled.

"He more or less said I wasn't capable of writing something of that quality. He could be a little abusive, so he convinced me to give up the idea of writing. It worked. I never wanted to write after that. Kind of lost that creative streak."

Tony waited for Megan to look at her. When the hazel eyes met hers, she said, "Megan, you never lost your creativity. That's something you can't lose. You can ignore it, or bury it, but it's still there."

Megan smiled, intertwined her hand with Tony's and said, "You're so sweet. I know you're just trying to make me feel better. But I've never even had an idea for another story again. It's like that part of my brain doesn't work anymore."

"It works just fine. It shows in everything you do. Take work for instance. Who else would've thought of some of the things you've done to find evidence...especially this last case? That takes creativity. It's still there, Love."

Looking into the concerned blue eyes, Megan was glad she'd told Tony. Maybe she was right.

"Ya think?"

Tony looked at her partner, and said with total conviction, "I know."

**********
Tony walked up behind Megan and put her arms around her, resting her chin on her head. "So that's what you think I should do, huh."

Megan thought back over their conversation. Tony had explained to Megan that she had some unfinished business with the FBI.

Graduating at the top of her class at the FBI academy gave her the option of first choice of the assignments available. She chose covert work infiltrating groups considered a threat to the government. And she brought down many of them. Tony treated each assignment as though the group was the one that had killed her brothers. For years the only thought on her mind was revenge. During those years, many people died, and many died at her hand. Orders. She always followed orders. Until one day almost 7 months ago when she found out that the orders weren't always good ones, and she realized revenge had blinded her to that knowledge. If she continued, she was no better than the men who had killed her brothers. She wanted out.

It was clear to her, Tony had somehow found the way back from the mindless revenge she had acted on for so many years.

"Yep. You said you trusted Huey. Talk to him and let him find out who is putting out the termination orders. You spent enough time working covert. Let them handle their own problems."

"Ok. We could do some sightseeing while we're there. There's a lot to see. It'll be fun."

"I want to see the Smithsonian museums. They sound really interesting. I heard you can get tours through the White House too. That would be fun."

"Yeah, ya can. When do you want to fly up there?" Tony asked, as she began kissing Megan's neck.

"Umn...well..."

Tony raised her head and said, "You know Megan, I was thinking about what we were talking about the other day...about you being creative."

"And...?"

Her arms loosely around Megan's waist, she purred, "I can think of some other ways you're very creative."

Megan chuckled, and said, "Oh you can, huh?"

"Yep. So when should we leave?"

Megan turned around drawing Tony's head down into a soft, lingering kiss. Breaking contact momentarily, she said, "How about later."

THE END

 


Return to The Bard's Corner