Chapter 13

Several hours later Jay awakened. It was still the middle of the night, and she was snuggled securely in the arms of easily the sexiest woman in the world, wrapped around her like some sea parasite. She marveled at the sight of their bodies intertwined as if it had always been and would always be; they fit together perfectly.

A wave of warmth flowed over her as she conjured the memories of their lovemaking. Kate had been alternately tender, gentle and attentive, and passionate, exciting and provocative. Jay had surrendered to her body and soul, knowing intuitively that this woman had the ability to breach all of the barriers she has spent a lifetime erecting. She had made a conscious decision to allow herself to be vulnerable; to let go of her fears and to place her trust in this exceptional woman who touched her in ways she never imagined possible. Jay smiled; her faith had been well placed. No one had ever made her feel so well loved or so complete.

Now, gazing adoringly at the strong profile, nudging aside a stray lock of dark hair that had fallen onto that remarkable face, Jay felt no more fear, only desire and passion. She wanted to give everything to this woman, and to take everything in return. Her hands began to play over the silky skin as her lips danced along a strong shoulder, then across the swell of a high, firm breast. Her tongue flicked the tip of an awakening nipple and she took it into her mouth, groaning in delight at the taste and texture.

Another moan joined hers as Kate came awake on a surge of white-hot heat, her body responding instantly to the stimulation. Fiery emerald green eyes met glittering blue in a gaze that promised unrestrained passion. This time the lovemaking was not the slow, sweet, tantalizing seduction of earlier in the evening; this time it was more like the intensity of a sudden electrical storm, with sparks flying, igniting a fire that consumed everything in its path. Both women crested together, bodies straining, hearts pounding, and heads exploding in ecstasy.

Eventually, their breathing calmed and their bodies began to cool. Running her fingers over her lover's face, Kate leaned in to kiss her reverently on the mouth. "Do me a favor; if that was a dream and I'm still sleeping, please don't bother to wake me up, okay?"

"Mmm, I know what you mean," Jay sighed dreamily as she smoothed her palm over the softness of her lover's backside. "I'm sorry I woke you, I just couldn't seem to help myself."

"Honey, don't ever apologize for waking me like that," Kate chuckled. "You can do that anytime you like; believe me, you'll never get a complaint from me." Kissing the tip of the smaller woman's nose, her eyes began to close again involuntarily.

Within seconds, both women were sound asleep, smiling, sated and exhausted.

*********

The next time they opened their eyes, the moon had been replaced above them by blue sky. Rolling onto her back, Kate pulled Jay tight to her side. She reached over and smoothed the disheveled blonde hair, enjoying the feel of its softness against her fingers. "How are you feeling?"

"Mmm, I've never felt better in my life. You?"

"That about sums it up." Kate's gaze turned serious. "Thank you, Jay, for trusting me. I know that can't have been easy for you, and I hope I didn't disappoint you."

"Disappoint me? Oh, sweetheart, believe me, let down is the last thing I feel." She propped herself up so that she could look directly into those baby blues. Running her fingers lovingly over the high cheekbones and tempting lips, she tried to let everything she felt show in her eyes and her touch. "Kate, I have been dreaming of a night with you like last night since we first met, and I have to tell you: nothing I envisioned came close to the reality of making love with you. It was everything I ever thought I wanted and so much more, love." There were tears in her eyes.

Arching up and kissing Jay's eyelids, Kate tasted the salt of her tears. "I'm so glad, sweetheart. I feel the same way, you know. All these years I've been waiting for someone to make me feel anything close to what I felt when I looked up at you during that tennis match. Do you remember?"

Jay smiled wistfully. "Oh yeah, I sure do; you were the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen. You made me late for my editorial meeting because I couldn't take my eyes off you."

"And you almost made me forget what I was doing on the court. Well, I never found anyone who could measure up to that, not even remotely, so I stopped trying a long time ago. I guess I knew that there was only one person who could make me feel that way, and I didn't think I'd ever see her again." At the inquiring look Kate added, "That person is you, Jamison Parker. I told you last night, you're the only one for me; there is no doubt in my mind, or my heart." Softly she added, "I love you, Jay."

At that the blonde did start crying, her tears spilling onto her lover's neck and chest. "I love you, too, Kate, more than I ever thought possible. I've been in love with you from the very first, but I never imagined that I'd get the chance to say those words to you out loud, much less hear them from you. I'm at a complete loss here."

"Well, how about you kiss me, and we take a shower together for starters. What time do you need to leave?" Kate hated to ask the question as much as her lover hated to contemplate the idea, but they both knew that Jay had to go back to the City to write; there was no sense even pretending that she could get the work done here.

Leaning down, Jay captured the waiting lips below her, losing herself in the kiss for several precious minutes. "It's 6:05 a.m. now, if I catch the 7:25 a.m. I can be in the City by 10:30 a.m. That should work."

"In that case, we'd better get going." Kate vaulted off the bed, pulling her lover with her.

They spent a little while exploring one another's bodies as they washed each other, both trying hard, with mixed success, to control their wandering hands and mouths long enough to get clean. When they were done, Kate steered Jay over to sit on the edge of the bed with the best of intentions as she began drying her off. Kneeling before the younger woman, carefully drying her breasts, the temptation was simply too great; the thought of a day and a half passing before she could see Jay again was making Kate crazy. Blue eyes grew heavy-lidded with arousal as she fitted herself between her lover's legs, tasting the sweetness there and quickly bringing the beautiful blonde to a shattering climax and pushing herself to the edge, as well.

When she had recovered sufficiently, Jay rose from the bed without a word, taking her lover by the hand and returning them to the shower. Turning on the spray, she began to touch and taste her partner as she guided them into the stall. Jay positioned the taller woman so that her broad back blocked the spray as she sat on the ledge facing her, pulling her close. The combination of the warm water pulsing on her back and the exquisite pressure building between her legs made Kate's knees weak; reaching out, she braced her arms against the shower wall. Both women moaned as Jay took her lover in her mouth, driving all thoughts of trains and schedules out of their minds.

Finally, they were clean, dressed and on the road with less than twenty minutes to make it to the train station. Kate promised Jay that she would have her on that train without fail. "You'd better, Stretch, since it's all your fault that we're running late," the writer joked.

That earned her an arched eyebrow look. "Oh, right, you had nothing to do with it, little miss innocent."

"Well, you started it..."

"That's true, but you sure didn't have any trouble finishing it, now did you?"

"Are you complaining?"

"Do I look like an idiot to you? Of course I'm not complaining! I'm merely setting the record straight, that's all."

Reaching over, Jay took hold of her lover's hand. "I'm going to miss you, Kate."

"I know, me too, sweetheart. I'll pick you up outside the Convention Center tomorrow night after the LCA Show, though, and at least we'll have tomorrow night."

"Right."

"Well, here you go; two minutes to spare, too. Let me get your bag and your briefcase, you just worry about getting to the platform. I'll be right behind you."

Jay was moving before the car had even come to a complete stop, reaching the conductor just as he was making the last call. She turned around, searching for her lover. She didn't have to look far; Kate was standing just behind her.

"Here you go," she said, handing Jay the bag and briefcase. "Travel safely. I'll see you tomorrow night." She didn't know if the writer understood sign language, but she made the sign for "I love you" anyway.

Leaning down quickly from the steps, Jay brushed her lips against her lover's ear, "I love you too," she said, so quietly that only Kate could hear her. And with that, she was gone.

*********

Standing there for a minute, Kate watched the train pull out of the station before heading back to the illegally parked car and home.

She walked into the kitchen where Fred greeted her enthusiastically, weaving in and out of her legs as he always did. Everything should have felt comfortingly normal, and yet...the place seemed empty and lonely, and she knew why. In just a few short days, one single little blonde whirlwind had transformed this house from a place to live into a home. God, she missed her already, and she'd barely left. Pathetic.

She scanned the cupboard since they hadn't had time for breakfast before leaving. Well, they hadn't had time for food, anyway. Kate smiled evilly, remembering their last bout of lovemaking, her skin flushing just thinking about it. Jay was the most talented, most enticing lover she had ever known. Somehow, her lover just seemed to know what she needed, and when. It was as if their bodies were speaking to each other in their own language, rendering words redundant. That had never happened to her before.

She sighed. What she felt for Jay went so far beyond physical compatibility, though; it wasn't just about the sex, although that was a most pleasant development. It was everything about her. It was the way she looked at the world, her sense of humor, her gentle nature and compassion. It was her intelligence and natural curiosity, her beauty and spirit. Kate was sure if she looked hard enough she could probably find something about Jay that she didn't like or love, but for the life of her, she didn't know what.

Spending 24 hours a day with the woman for nearly four days, she hadn't felt the least bit boxed in or smothered; for a woman as independent and solitary as Kate, that was extraordinary. "Now what, Fred? Back to the routine, I guess."

Going upstairs to the bedroom to change into her workout clothes, she found herself standing at the threshold to the guest suite instead, where she closed her eyes and extended her senses, detecting a trace of Jay's perfume in the air. Stepping into the room, she moved to the bed to pick up her lover's pillow. "God, you've got it bad, Kyle," she thought to herself. As she reached for the pillow, a folded piece of white paper fluttered to the floor. Reaching over and picking it up, she opened it to reveal neatly printed handwriting.

Guest Satisfaction Survey, it said in block letters across the top. Laughing, she said to Fred, who had followed her upstairs, "Well, I did tell her it was a five-star resort and she could rate her stay on the way out. I ought to be more careful what I say, shouldn't I buddy?"

She began to read, "Accommodations: Excellent, especially the last night. Service: Outstanding, loved the personal touch (pun intended), and the comic books were great. Facilities: Superb, particularly enjoyed working with the personal trainer and the rent-a-beast. The kitchen could stand some...well...use. Activities: Top-notch, do you really want me to go there? Overall Impressions of Resort: Mmm. Need I say more? Would You Recommend This Establishment to Others: Absolutely, but it better not be open to others."

By the time she had finished reading, Kate was laughing so hard she was in tears. "You are too much, Jamison Parker. What am I going to do with you?" Stopping for a moment to think, she got serious. "The bigger question is: what am I going to do without you for a whole 36 hours? Yuck." Pondering what was in store for tomorrow night, a wicked smile crossed her face. The wait might be worth it, after all. She made her way down the hall to her room to change into her workout gear. It was going to be a long, busy, lonely day and a half, and she needed to get started.

*********

Jay had her notes from the past four days spread out on two service trays in front of her, trying to organize her thoughts in preparation for writing the article as the train carried her home. Professional detachment, that was what she said she had needed. "Well, so much for that," she chuckled to herself. Then she got serious. How was she going to separate the Kate that she knew from the anchorwoman and journalist that the rest of the world had seen? Was there a difference? Gazing out the window at the Hudson River as it sped by, she smiled as she thought about the last four days. Images of the raven-haired beauty swam before her eyes; her lover lost in rapture, her friend with eyes full of caring and concern, the woman she loved vulnerable and uncertain. And her professional demeanor: resolute, powerful, intelligent, engaged and compassionate. Oh, yeah, there was definitely a difference.

The writer began reviewing the impressions she had put to paper on Monday, the first day she had arrived and had gone with Kate and her crew to interview Joey's parents and the man who the anchorwoman had rescued from the rubble. If she were going to be able to maintain any semblance of objectivity, it would be because she focused the article less on her own very personal knowledge, and more on the opinions of people like these and Kate's co-workers.

Having settled that, Jay began to focus and get lost in her work. She had a lot to do to get this story ready before she got back on a train to return to Albany tomorrow night, but she was determined to have it done before she saw her lover again. She didn't want anything to detract from the time they could spend together, and for that she needed her mind and her calendar to be clear on Sunday. She sighed. It was going to be a long, busy, lonely day and a half.

*********

It was Saturday night, it was almost time, and Kate was nervous; not for the obvious reason that most people standing where she was right now would have been, but because her conversation earlier in the day with Jay had left her unsettled. She knew that her lover had been upset with her for being less than forthcoming about her plans for this evening, but she hoped that Jay would forgive her when she understood why; which, the anchorwoman mused, she would soon enough.

She thought back to her lover's reaction Thursday to her not being in the house so early in the morning; it was clear to her that Jay was expecting the worst. "I guess that's what happens when that's what you've always gotten," Kate thought to herself. It only strengthened her resolve to make sure that she never gave her lover cause not to trust her. In the end, she knew, only time and consistency would prove to Jay that she needn't worry any more, and those were two things Kate hoped they would have forever.

"Kate, it's time," a disembodied voice said from close by.

"Yes, it is," she smiled.

*********

An intense 36 hours after she had left, Jay was back in the Capital. She was tired, and a little grumpy, and just wanted midnight to be here already. Her conversation with Kate earlier in the day had left her a bit out of sorts; she was still fretting over the other woman's secretive plans for this evening and trying not to let her imagination get carried away with her. Although she had dropped several hints, her lover had refused to divulge her plans except to say that it was "an obligation" that she had to keep. Now the writer was going to be stuck for the next three-plus hours trying to be cordial to a man who might one day be President of the United States, when all she really wanted to do was to see Kate and be reassured. Well, she was here now; she might as well make the best of it.

A plainclothes State Police officer met Jay at the door to the Convention Center and ushered her inside to the Governor's table, directly in front of the stage. The Governor, resplendent in a black tuxedo, stood as she approached. The writer looked positively elegant in a strapless floor length black gown and matching heels. The dress hugged her slim form and highlighted her creamy skin and well-defined shoulders and arms. Her neck was adorned with a beautiful emerald and diamond choker that complemented the emerald tear drops in her ears and the emerald ring on her right hand. Every man within fifty feet sucked in his gut, straightened his bowtie, and stared at the extraordinary beauty. The Governor was no exception. He offered her his hand and politely introduced her to his wife, the Lieutenant Governor and his wife, and the other members of his Administration present around the table.

Just then the lights flickered once in warning. Jay took the seat the Governor held for her to his right, less than fifteen feet from the front of the stage. The huge room, which was filled to capacity with every manner of state official and journalist and their guests, went pitch black for a full minute. In the darkness, the orchestra began to play and a beautiful voice pierced the silence with the first notes of a song. The writer recognized the tune as the Carpenters' We've Only Just Begun, but the words had been changed.

And then the curtain rose to reveal the singer. Jay thought she might pass out right on the spot; all thoughts of being tired and grumpy disappeared, in fact, if she had been old enough, she could have sworn she was having a hot flash. There, leaning on a high stool perched in the very center of the stage in a bright red, sequined, cocktail length sheath with plunging neckline, spaghetti straps, and three-inch heels looking directly at her, was Kate. Her hair was swept up in a French knot, revealing her long, slender neck. Smiling broadly, she arched her eyebrow a fraction, enough for Jay to know it was meant just for her, and winked at the Governor as she parodied his penchant for trying to build consensus in a government where no one could agree on anything.

Jay's mind was reeling. Busy tonight. Her lover had said she was "busy" tonight. The ratfink. When she'd gotten over her initial shock and the guilt she felt for giving her sweetheart a hard time about where she was going to be this evening, Jay allowed herself the luxury of watching Kate and letting the timbre of her voice penetrate directly into her heart. "My God," she thought, "she's got an amazing voice. I wonder what other little secrets she's been keeping?" She decided she would grill Kate later. Right now, she just wanted to listen and ogle, which was pretty much what everyone else in the room was doing.

The anchorwoman sang two more numbers during the course of the evening, one to the tune of Carole King's It's Too Late regarding the perennially late state budget, and another sending up the Governor's on-going negotiations with the Senate Republicans over the death penalty to the Beatles' We Can Work It Out. The crowd ate it up, laughing uproariously at the new lyrics and marveling at Kate's singing talent. And, Jay had to admit, the other performers and skits had been very entertaining, too. All in all, the night was a smashing success.

Now it was time for the finale. The Capitol bureau chief for one of the major New York dailies walked onto the stage from the wings wearing a stodgy pinstriped business suit and singing his own version of the first stanza of You're the One that I Want, the final duet from the musical Grease. He had a rich, deep singing voice and even looked a little like John Travolta. There was a dry ice-induced fog of smoke emanating from the other side of the stage, and then the entire Convention Center rose to its feet as one, whistling and cat calling as Kate emerged out of the fog singing the second half of the duet. She was clad in tight black leather pants over leather boots and a sleeveless ribbed knit black v-neck sweater, her hair cascading freely down her back. Jay's eyes nearly popped out of her head.

Kate prowled to the middle of the stage where her singing partner was standing. As they continued singing their own hysterical lyrics to the song, she moved right up against him seductively, running her fingers up his chest, and ripping off his suit. Jay nearly growled in jealousy at the sight. She reminded herself that it was all part of the show, but boy, could Kate act. Underneath the suit, the newspaper reporter was wearing his own tight black pants and black muscle t-shirt. He ground his body against the blue-eyed siren's as they danced and sang in perfect harmony. Jay clenched her teeth, knowing every guy in the place was wishing he were on stage with her lover. Then, just as she was sure she was going to commit homicide, Kate locked eyes with her and gave her a smile that was reserved for her alone. Jay melted and felt her own mouth respond with an answering grin.

The show ended with a thunderous standing ovation and several curtain calls from the performers. Kate got the biggest cheers of all. As the lights came up, the Governor turned to his guest. "Did you enjoy the show, Ms. Parker?"

"Oh yes, it was fabulous. Who knew that journalists had such hidden talents?"

"Yes," the Governor agreed, "They were rather amazing, weren't they? It's tradition for the Governor to respond to the performance with one of his own. I promise to leave you in splendid company, though. Will you wait here for a moment?"

"Certainly."

He stepped away for a minute as the writer surveyed the crowd. Within a very short time he was back. "Ms. Parker?"

Hearing her name, she turned around to find the Governor standing next to her once again. "I have someone I'd like to introduce you to." He smiled as a figure emerged from behind him. Jay's eyes went wide. "Ms. Jamison Parker, may I present one of the Capital's true treasures, Ms. Katherine Kyle. Kate, Ms. Parker is a fine reporter for Time magazine. Perhaps you are familiar with her work?"

The anchorwoman didn't miss a beat. She took her lover's hand in a formal handshake, addressing the Governor but focusing directly on the smaller woman with a completely sincere look, "Yes, Governor, I am a great admirer of Ms. Parker's work. I have found it to be most stimulating."

Jay choked and spluttered, nearly swallowing her tongue. Patting her on the back, the Governor asked with concern, "Ms. Parker, are you all right?"

"Oh yes, I'm just fine," she rasped. She chanced favoring Kate with a murderous glare that only the taller woman could see. The anchorwoman's eyes were sparkling with mischief. "Oh, you evil, evil, woman. Two can play that game," Jay thought. Aloud, she said with a straight face, "Yes, Governor, I'm a big fan of Ms. Kyle's, as well. Her work takes my breath away."

"I asked for that," thought Kate.

Oblivious to the undercurrent between the two women, the Governor offered a self-satisfied smile. "Good, then I can see I'll be leaving you in excellent hands while I tend to business." To the show's star he said, "Kate, please take my seat and keep Ms. Parker company while I pay you back for your insouciance."

Without taking her eyes from her lover, the performer responded, "It would be my pleasure." She held out the seat for Jay as the Governor and his tablemates made their way backstage.

When they were both seated and alone at the table, Kate turned to her companion and gave her a brilliant smile. "You look magnificent." Lowering her voice to its lowest, sexiest register, and fixing Jay with her most lustful stare, she added very quietly so that only her lover could hear her, "Good enough to eat."

Flushing, Jay leaned over and purred in Kate's ear, "Promises, promises." Then she straightened up once again and added, "And you look rather fabulous yourself, Ms. Kyle-who-was-going-to-be-'busy'-tonight." She raised one eyebrow in challenge.

"I couldn't spoil the surprise, Jay," Kate snickered and said apologetically. I did tell you you were going to love the show, didn't I?"

"Yeees. But you failed to mention that you were the star attraction."

"I was not." It was Kate's turn to blush.

"Yeah," her lover slapped her lightly. "Tell that to the 500 people who were busy drooling over you and especially tell it to the guy who was trying to get inside your pants on stage at the end. Thank God there was no room in there." There was an edge to Jay's voice that she tried in vain to hide.

"Aww. You're not jealous, are you?"

The writer hesitated a beat.

Kate couldn't believe it. Turning to face Jay fully, she stared at her intently with eyes gone dark. "Expect the worst, right? Oh, honey, we're going to have to work on this," she thought. For her lover's ears only she said with all of the feeling she could summon, "Ms. Jamison Parker, you are the only one for me, now and forever. Don't you ever doubt that. They can look all they want, but you are the one who lives in my heart and who owns my body and soul."

Jay felt the sting of tears leap to her eyes just as the lights were dimmed once again. She never imagined hearing those words from the one woman her heart had craved for so many years. "Oh, sweetheart. What did I ever do to deserve you?"

Reaching under the tablecloth, Kate caressed her lover's hands where no one could see them. "I believe that's already been asked and answered before; besides, I'm the one who should be asking that question, love, not you."

*********

When the Governor's rebuttal had finished to laughter and applause and he returned to the table, Kate took her leave. Turning to her lover, she took her hand formally once again. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Parker. I hope I'll get to see you again very soon." Her eyes twinkled.

"Yes, I would like that very much," Jay responded, smiling.

"I'm glad you two hit it off," the Governor nodded. "I thought you'd like each other; two smart, beautiful, talented women. That's great."

As his words trailed off the star of the show was surrounded by well-wishers. Everyone wanted to compliment her on her performance. Over the heads of those encircling her, she watched Jay make her way to the exit. As if sensing eyes on her, the smaller woman turned around. Kate gave her a look as if to reassure her, "You're the only one I'm thinking about." Jay grinned and proceeded through the doors.

Five minutes later, Kate met her at the elevators to the parking garage, as they had agreed before the Governor returned to the table. "What's a gorgeous lady like you doing in a place like this? Can I interest you in a ride in my car, perhaps?" The taller woman waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Do you think I'm so easy that I would swoon over a little red convertible?"

Kate paused dramatically for a beat and then grinned. "Yep."

"Hmmph." Crossing her arms over her chest in mock indignation, Jay pretended to think. "Do you come with the car, or is that a la carte?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"On who is asking," Kate said.

Jay dropped her voice an octave and moistened her lips, raking her eyes with exaggerated slowness over her lover's leather clad form. "I'm asking," she said huskily.

Feeling a chill chase itself up and down her body, Kate swallowed convulsively. "Um, in that case, I definitely come with the wheels. Yep. Definitely."

"Good," the writer said triumphantly, hooking her arm through the anchorwoman's, "Then you've got a deal and a date."

Chapter 14

They barely made it through the door of the house before Jay grabbed Kate by the arm, spinning her around so that her back was against the wall. She stepped between her lover's leather-clad legs and reached up, tangling her fingers in the dark locks and pulling her head down for an incendiary kiss.

When they finally broke apart, Jay breathed, "God, I missed you so much I thought I would lose my mind."

"Mmm, I know the feeling." Kate ran her hands up and down her lover's mostly bare back. "Have I told you how fabulously sexy you look tonight?"

Jay laughed. "Once or twice, but that's okay, I don't mind hearing it again."

"You look amazingly sexy tonight, Ms. Parker, and you made it incredibly difficult for me to concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing. All I could think about was how much I wanted to have my arms around you, and how quickly I could make it to your table if anyone tried to make a move on you."

"As if..." Jay began, but was stopped by the look in Kate's eyes.

"Jamison, there wasn't a guy within fifty feet of you who didn't have his tongue hanging down to his shoe laces; not that I blame them, I felt the same way."

"Sweetheart, you've got nothing to worry about. This body and this heart belong only to you; I think they probably always have, and I know they always will."

"Mmm. I like the sound of that." Kate locked eyes with her lover. "Jay, about our conversation today..."

"Oh, Kate, I'm so sorry I was such an idiot, I feel terrible about that. I shouldn't have pushed you and I shouldn't have doubted you. When I first saw you up there on stage, I just wanted to run up there, fall at your feet, apologize and beg forgiveness."

"Well, that would have been quite a show," her lover gave a small smile. "I know that this is going to take some time for you to get used to, and I know that you've had reason in the past to expect the worst of people, but I promise you with all my heart, Jay, that you can trust me, and that I will never knowingly hurt you."

Tears sprang to the emerald eyes. "I know that, love, or at least a big part of me does. It really isn't even about you; it's just this little internal voice that says that I don't deserve happiness, and I don't deserve to be loved, especially not by someone as perfect as you. It's an expectation, I guess, that something will happen to take you away from me. I know it's not rational, and I try to fight the feeling, but sometimes I don't win," she finished dejectedly.

"Hey," Kate said, lifting her chin so that their eyes met again. "We'll get through this together, okay? Like I said, I know it's going to take time, and, I hope, we'll have all the time in the world, right?"

"You don't want to walk away because I'm an insecure fool?"

Kate pulled Jay close, kissing her forehead and then her temple. "Sweetheart, I don't want to walk away for any reason, let alone a false one. I love you, Jamison Parker, and nothing and no one is going to change that. You're stuck with me for good, okay? How about if we agree that when this kind of stuff comes up we'll talk through it together until there are no doubts, huh?"

"That sounds great," Jay agreed, awed and humbled once again by the depth of Kate's understanding and compassion, and her ability to see the younger woman's invisible scars and help her to heal them.

"Now, if you don't mind," Kate said with a gleam in her eye, "I'd like to take a very beautiful woman to bed. I've been burning the candle at both ends for weeks now, and I'm just about at the end of my rope. Getting up to rehearse for the show every morning before dawn and working until midnight rots."

Realization dawned on Jay then. "That's where you were Thursday morning when I was so worried? You were off singing your heart out?"

"Noooo, actually my heart was at home pacing in my kitchen, as I recall," she grinned. "But yes, I was off practicing with the rest of the cast before I went to get my stitches out, just like I had been every morning for three weeks." She paused, "Oh, Jay, when you told me you were coming to the show, I just wanted it to be a wonderful surprise for you. I didn't mean for my evasions to make you worry. I'm so sorry, I should have just told you."

"No, it was a great surprise; fantastic really. It's not your fault that my imagination tends to work overtime."

"Well, how about if we redirect that energy and put your imagination to great use right now?" Kate waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Lead on, woman."

And with that, the two lovers retired to the bedroom and a night of blissful togetherness.

*********

Kate sighed contentedly, running her fingers lightly over Jay's bare back. They had made love well into the night, first with the urgency of new passion, and then again more deliberately as each woman strived to express with her body that which her heart was feeling. She had never known such happiness. For the first time in her life, her heart and soul felt full and the future looked bright.

The future; she had never given it much thought. She had always chosen to live one day at a time, tackling whatever challenges life presented her as they had arisen. But the day and a half that she had spent without Jay by her side had made her pensive. She was miserable on her own, wondering how the writer was progressing with her story, what she was thinking and whether or not she was missing Kate as much as Kate was missing her.

For five years, her career had been her only focus, the only driving force in Kate's life. Not any more, she realized with a start. Without giving it a second thought, she knew that this relationship had become the most important thing and she would put it above anything else.

"What are you thinking about, love?"

"I'm sorry," she smiled affectionately at the blonde limpet attached to her. "I didn't mean to wake you. Why don't you go back to sleep."

"Hmm. I'm not sure if that was a deliberate evasion or not, but I do know, even in my weakened state, that you didn't answer the question."

"What weakened state is that?"

"Well, someone, whose name shall remain anonymous but whose initials are Katherine Ann Kyle, managed to turn me into a bowl of Jell-o last night and I haven't fully recovered yet."

Kate chuckled. "In that case, we're even, so there's no advantage there. Good morning, by the way," she said as she bent her neck to meet her lover's lips as the younger woman's chin rested on her collarbone.

"Mmm, good morning, but it's not working, Stretch. Out with it. I know that little brain of yours is chewing on something, and I want to know what it is before I have to torture it out of you."

"Ooooh. That could be fun." At her partner's raised eyebrow, Kate relented. "I was just thinking about the future, that's all."

"Well, that's kind of a broad topic. Could you be a little more specific, perhaps?"

While they had said many things to each other over the course of the past few days, Kate was still fearful of pushing Jay too far, too fast. She didn't want to scare her away, and she didn't want to pressure her before she was ready; this was all happening so quickly!

In less time than it took her to shop for running sneakers she had gone from complete self-reliance and independence, to not wanting to spend a single night without this amazing woman who had captured her heart so effortlessly. She had never felt this way before. With Jen, all she had wanted was to maintain her own space and to keep it light, seeing the EMT when it suited her. Now, she couldn't imagine a day without Jay in it. Did the writer feel the same way?

Kate suddenly was afraid of the answer. What if she didn't? Even though Jay had made it clear that she wanted to be with Kate, what if she didn't mean that kind of total commitment? She had a life of her own, with a successful career and dreams for the future; what if there wasn't room in her plans for a life lived together? What if she only wanted to be with Kate every once in a while when it was convenient? Did the 150 miles that separated their lives right now matter to her?

"Hello, Earth to Kate," Jay said as she tapped on her lover's chest with her forefinger. "Honey, your heart is beating a million miles a minute and you look as if your best friend just died. Please, tell me what's going on."

Anxious blue eyes met concerned green ones and still, the older woman didn't know what to say. "Um, Jay, how did you sleep Friday night?"

"How did I...fitfully. Why?"

"Well, I didn't sleep much, either."

When no more words were forthcoming, Jay said, "And that's why your heart is beating out of your chest now?"

"I slept poorly because you weren't here with me and I missed you," Kate blurted out in a rush.

"I missed you, too, sweetheart." Jay was a bit at sea about the direction of the conversation.

God, this was so hard! Why was she thinking about this right now, anyway? She couldn't do this yet; she wasn't ready. After all, they'd only spent two full nights together, right?

Who was she kidding; she already knew that she wanted to make a life with Jay, to live together facing the future as one. That fact alone was enough to scare the living daylights out of her, but what if her lover didn't share the same vision, didn't want the same thing? Could she live with that? Was it too soon to ask her?

Jay could see the panic in Kate's expression, but she couldn't fathom what was causing it, which made her worry. What should she do? Should she keep pushing her lover to talk about it, or back off? She was afraid if she pushed her too hard she might bolt like a skittish colt. Hmmm. A skittish colt...

"It's okay, love. Whatever it is can wait, I mean, geez, we haven't even had our morning coffee yet, right? We've got time, and I'm a very patient woman." She grinned evilly.

"Oh you think so, do you? I wouldn't call the way you were last night patient, Princess."

"Well, that was different, I was going through withdrawal at the time. That didn't count."

"I see." Kate was relieved at the banter; she felt much more at ease.

Jay nodded her head to herself; she could tell that she had made the right decision because her lover's heart had returned to its normal rhythm. She adjusted her position and kissed Kate passionately.

"I thought you said you were Jell-o."

"I was, but I'm young, I bounce back quickly," this last Jay said as she began exploring the body below her with single-minded intent. Yep, this conversation could wait.

All talk ceased, as neither woman was capable of coherent thought for the next little while.

*********

"What would you like to do today, love?" Kate asked, coming up behind Jay and putting her arms around her. It was just before noon, they finally were dressed, showered and standing in the kitchen.

Tilting her head back, Jay gazed up into those pools of blue that she never tired of looking at. "Truthfully, I've been on the go non-stop for the past few weeks, and I know that you have, too. What do you say we just pick up the Sunday paper, sit in that wonderfully decadent swing on the deck, do the crossword puzzle together and enjoy the day? Then, if you're nice to me, I'll cook you a fabulous dinner and we can watch an old movie on television."

"Mmm, my idea of a perfect, lazy, Sunday afternoon." Kate squeezed her lover's waist and nuzzled her neck.

"But first, we're going shopping."

"What?"

"Well, Stretch, even I can't make a feast out of Raisin Bran and American cheese. You need some food in this house."

The older woman groaned. "I hate to shop."

"That's because you haven't shopped with me."

"Mm hmm," Kate said dubiously. "I'll do it, but only if dessert is included with the meal." She gave her lover a lecherous look.

"I'll think about it," Jay smirked as she slipped out of her lover's grasp and bent down to scratch Fred behind the ears.

*********

Two hours later they were comfortably ensconced in the two-person hammock swing on the second tier of the deck. Kate was semi-reclining with her back and head resting on a pillow, her legs stretched out the length of the swing; Jay was lying between her legs, using her as a backrest. The younger woman held the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle in one hand, and a pen in the other, her lover leaning her chin on her shoulder as they studied the puzzle together.

"Tell me again why we're doing this in ink instead of using the more widely-accepted and cautious pencil?"

"Because, Stretch, it shows that we have confidence in our answers. Only wusses use a pencil. But if you don't think you're up to playing with the big boys..." The blonde tresses were ruffled by a loud exhale. "Just as I thought," Jay nodded. "We need a ten letter word for strong in battle or possessing powerful weapons. Any ideas?"

Kate looked at 22 down, where the writer was pointing. "Yep."

"Care to share?"

"Armipotent."

"You're making it up."

"Am not, go look it up."

"Hmmph. I'll trust you, and besides, it works with the other answers."

"Of course it does."

Jay turned her head a little so she could look at her lover. "How did you know that?"

Kate shrugged. "Dunno, just did."

"You're so smart." Impulsively Jay lifted herself up a bit and kissed her lover on the mouth.

"Nope, just full of useless trivia." The blue eyes smiled down affectionately at her.

They worked on the puzzle for another hour or so, managing to fill in most of the answers. Jay yawned and stretched.

"I saw that, young lady. That's about the tenth time in the last five minutes that you've yawned. Ready for a nap, perhaps?"

"Only if I can take it right here, lying in your arms."

"I think that can be arranged." Scooting down further so that they were lying more prone, Kate used her leg to start the swing rocking gently. Her companion turned so that she was lying on top of her, and the two of them promptly fell asleep.

*********

It was several hours later when they awakened, the sun just beginning its descent in the western sky. It had cooled down quite a bit and Jay shivered involuntarily.

"Cold, love?"

"Just a little."

"Wait here." Kate disentangled herself and disappeared into the house, returning several moments later with a quilt, which she laid over them after re-positioning herself. "Is that better?"

"Much. I feel like I'm in Heaven here. I never want to leave."

"Fine by me," Kate smiled fondly at her lover.

They were both silent for a time after that, each lost in her own thoughts. Jay was thinking about what she had just said. She had really meant it, but did Kate mean what she had said; would she want her to live here with her? Was it too soon to talk about that? "How about if we start small, Parker, eh?"

"Kate?"

"Hmm?"

"Would it be all right if I stayed until tomorrow morning instead of going home tonight? I could catch the 6 o'clock train and be in the City by 9 a.m. in plenty of time to get to the office and turn in my story."

"Do you really want to?" Kate thought it was too good to be true.

"Oh yeah," Jay's smile lit up her green eyes.

Kate pulled her up closer and hugged her tight, whispering in her ear, "I'm so glad. I've been wanting to ask you all day, but I was afraid you'd say no."

"Never," Jay said, leaning in for an ardent kiss.

*********

Jay was standing in front of the kitchen counter, chopping up vegetables to sautÈ for the pasta primavera she was making. She had changed into a pair of tight-fitting jeans and a light cotton v-neck sweater under which she wore nothing. She had already prepared the garlic bread and put it in the oven to bake and was just getting ready to toss the veggies into the pan.

Kate stood in the doorway for a moment, admiring the way her lover looked in her jeans. With a lascivious glint in her eyes she stole up behind Jay and began nibbling on her exposed neck, reaching under the sweater at the same time to cup high, firm breasts in her large hands and brush her palms over responsive nipples. "God, you look so sexy," she breathed in between bites and licks.

"Hey...ooooh...I was....ahhh, trying to...mmm...cook here."

"Yeah, you're looking pretty hot to me." Kate's voice dropped to that low, sexy register that made Jay's blood boil. She already had undone the younger woman's jeans and was busy exploring.

The blonde was trying her hardest to ignore the ache that instantly spread outward from her groin to the rest of her nerve endings, but it was fast becoming impossible; the exquisite combination of long, talented fingers and the friction of the material rubbing against her was pushing her over the edge. Kate's hands and mouth seemed to be everywhere and Jay was rapidly losing the ability to focus on anything but the sensations being created by her lover's attentions.

"Agghh, Kate, in a minute I won't be able to stand....ohh, baby..." She reached her arms back over her head, grabbing her lover behind the neck in an effort to remain upright as her knees began to buckle.

"It's okay, love, I've got you." Kate wrapped one arm firmly around Jay's waist as her lover began to climax.

For several minutes worth of heartbeats they stood suspended there, panting and struggling to regain their equilibrium. Finally Jay gave up the fight and sank slowly to the floor, pulling her partner with her.

"That was such an unfair sneak attack."

"Hey, life's unfair."

"I will get you back for this, you know."

"Oh," there was that low, sexy tone again, "I'm counting on it."

Eventually dinner made it to the table, as did the two women, and they spent a leisurely time just talking quietly about nothing and enjoying the food. After the meal Kate insisted on doing the dishes and cleanup, telling Jay to go relax in the family room and pick a movie out of her tape collection.

When her lover joined her, Jay was sitting on the couch with a tape of Casablanca in her hands, quietly looking at the fire she had built in the fireplace. "Ah, excellent choice. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in one of the finest performances ever." Kate took the tape from her lover, placed it in the VCR, and sat down next to her, pulling a quilt over both of them. At critical moments in the movie, they both recited the lines along with the characters, and at the end they were both crying.

When it was over, Kate put her arm around her lover and they walked together upstairs to bed. "Jay," she said, "I think this is the beginning of a beau-ti-ful friendship." The younger woman bumped hips with her and smiled as they made their way up the rest of the stairs.

*********

It was 2:30 a.m. and Jay hadn't slept a wink. She tried snuggling closer to Kate, which was difficult since she was practically on top of her already. "What's the matter, love, can't get comfortable?"

"No," she smiled, "I'm more than comfortable, I just can't seem to fall asleep." In truth, she couldn't stop wondering when the next time was she would be able to see Kate, and it was bothering her. How were they going to make this work? Would they only see each other on weekends? Would they see each other every weekend? God, that would never be enough for her. But did Kate feel the same way? It was so clichÈd to talk about moving in together less than two weeks after finding each other again, wasn't it?

"Something bothering you?"

What should she say? 2:30 in the morning two and a half hours before she had to get up and catch a train hardly seemed like the appropriate time to be having a conversation with such important implications. "Maybe if you sang to me I could fall asleep. Did I tell you how beautiful your voice is? What other little secrets are you hiding from me?"

"There are no secrets from you, love, just more things to discover about each other. Do you really want me to sing something?"

"Yes."

"Any requests?"

"Oh, you take requests?"

"Only from you," her lover kissed her on the nose.

"Anything you want to sing is fine by me, sweetheart."

Kate was quiet for a minute and then, with a deep breath in, she began to sing an old Anne Murray tune, "A Love Song;" "...I want to sing you a love song, I want to rock you in my arms all night long..."

Jay closed her eyes and listened as the melody washed over her. Kate's voice was magnificent, and the song was perfect for the occasion. She let herself drift, feeling the vibration of her lover's diaphragm beneath her ear. By the time the last notes had faded away, she had fallen peacefully asleep.

Kate smiled to herself when she heard the deep, even breathing that told her that her lover had, indeed, conked out. She tightened her arms around the lithe form and joined her in slumber.

*********

At 5 a.m. the alarm went off, startling both of them. A long arm snaked out and swiped at the insistent buzzer. "ARGH."

A second groan was audible from underneath the covers, where a disheveled blonde head was poking out. "That clock can't be right, it is not possible that it could be time to get up already. For pete's sake, we just went to sleep."

"Come on, sunshine, we don't have a lot of time to spare this morning, got to get up and face the day."

"Don't want to."

"Have to."

"Don't have to like it."

"Nope, I'll give you that." Kate chuckled. "But you do have to get upright. Come on," she grunted as she pulled her lover up with her. "I'll get the coffee started, you get the shower going."

"Oh no, we're not going to have a repeat of Friday morning." Jay felt a tingle as she thought about their impromptu lovemaking session in and out of the shower.

"What, you didn't enjoy Friday morning?"

"Oh, I didn't say that," Jay grinned evilly, "I just said we couldn't repeat it this morning; we don't have time."

"Aw, honey, where's your sense of adventure?"

"I think I lost it when we were doing 95 mph on the interstate so that I wouldn't miss my train."

"Hmmph. And I thought you liked to live dangerously."

"Sweetheart," the blonde woman said as she reached up and planted a kiss on her lover's cheek, "There's dangerously and then there's dead. One's okay, I'm not so crazy about the other."

Kate swatted her on the behind and headed for the kitchen, Fred following closely at her heels, his tail wagging vigorously.

They both managed, with much difficulty and not a little grumbling, to behave themselves, get showered, dressed and ready to go without much delay. The ride to the train station was depressingly silent, both women clearly unhappy at having to separate. Jay clutched at Kate's fingers and the anchorwoman rubbed her thumb lightly over the back of her lover's hand.

"I don't want to go."

"I don't want you to. Unfortunately, you have to turn in your story and go to work, and so do I."

"You know what, Kate?" Jay asked, turning her face up to gaze into those cerulean pools that never failed to mesmerize her.

"What love?"

"Sometimes being a grown up sucks."

Kate laughed. "You've got that right, sweetheart. I promise I'll call you later, okay?"

"I guess it will have to be, won't it?" Jay sighed unhappily.

"I guess so." Kate used the cover of darkness in the parking lot to capture her lover's lips in a sweet goodbye kiss. "I love you so much, Jay. I hope you know that."

"I do, love," Jay said as she nibbled at her lover's lower lip. "I love you, too, you know."

"Yes, I do. Come on, we've got to get going before you miss your train and blame it on me."

Jay got out of the car and ran around to the driver's side, jumping into Kate's arms where she stood. "I'm going to miss you so much," there were tears in her eyes and she clung desperately to the strong body pressed against hers.

"Me too," was all Kate could get out around the lump in her throat. She stroked the blonde head. "It will be all right. Hey, it's a big day for you." She pulled back a little to look into those emerald eyes that she adored so much. "Your second cover story in as many weeks. Pretty soon you're going to be too important to talk to the likes of me."

"Too important to talk to the woman who made the cover of Time magazine? Somehow I don't think so." She smiled and stepped back, a bit of her usual self-control evident once again. "Okay, let's go."

Together they made their way to the platform and the waiting train.

*********

As she had before, Jay selected a window seat with a view of the scenic Hudson River. For a little while she just enjoyed the sights as they flew past her, the sailboats catching the wind, a tug pulling a barge, and some ducks paddling around in the tall grasses near the shore. Focusing on nature like this helped to calm her a bit and to restore her normally good humor.

Leaving Kate was more difficult this time; at least last time she had known that they would be seeing one another in two days. Now she was unsure when they could be together next and it was making her nuts. She shook her head, trying to get a handle on her feelings.

This was so unlike her; she had spent years being completely work driven and single-minded of purpose to the point of walling off all other parts of her life. She had never noticed how lonely her existence was, or how solitary, until this incredible thing called love happened to her. Now all she wanted to do was to be with the woman who owned her heart, and nothing else seemed to matter very much, including a coveted cover story assignment. Were it not for the fact that it was her lover who was to be on the cover, she wouldn't have cared at all, and that scared her silly.

Thinking about the piece she had written, she wondered, would Kate like it? Would she think it was accurate and fair? What if she didn't? Jay pushed the thought from her mind. As a professional, she knew she shouldn't be concerned with what her subjects thought about her work as long as she stayed true to the facts and presented a balanced and insightful story. But this wasn't just any subject: this was the woman she had desired right from the first and the owner of the other half of her soul.

Kate hadn't asked her about the story even once; hadn't asked to read it, hadn't asked how it had turned out, hadn't even inquired as to whether or not she would like the outcome. She seemed to understand intrinsically that Jay needed to keep some professional distance about the piece, and for that the writer was eternally grateful.

It actually had been easier to stay objective than she had thought it would be. The extensive interviews she had done, the amount of time she had spent just observing the journalist at work, and the reactions of those around the charismatic woman had given her a solid foundation from which to write. For that period of time that she was working on the story, Jay had set aside her own thoughts and let the interviewees and the anchorwoman's performance speak for themselves. In the end, the question she had asked herself was if the piece was something she would have written about a subject she had never met before and knew nothing about. She was confident that it was.

*********

Kate sat at her desk, but she wasn't really there. Her heart was 150 miles south and her head was busy contemplating when she could see Jay next. She closed her eyes and remembered the feel of her lover clinging to her in the parking lot. There was no question that the younger woman had been as distraught as she was about parting. "What we really need," she thought to herself, "is time. Yeah, a solid block of time without any distractions; just the two of us together, getting to know each other, seeing if we're compatible and if we could live together in harmony." She laughed at herself, "Oh, who are you kidding, Kyle, you've already made up your mind, you just want time to convince Jay." Chuckling again she thought, "So, what's wrong with that?"

"Hey, you okay Kate?"

She hadn't realized how long she'd been sitting there with her eyes shut, so deep in thought that she hadn't even heard Phil and Gene approaching. "Fine, just a little tired, I guess."

"Yeah," the producer said, "You've been working really hard lately, and then there was the LCA Show. When's the last time you took a vacation, kid?" He knew the answer: never.

Gene piped in, "I meant to tell you, Kate, you were fantastic in the show. Thanks again for the tickets. I tried to congratulate you Saturday night, but there was a huge crowd around you and I couldn't get close."

"Thanks, Gene, that's sweet." Smiling at him, she patted him on the arm, which made him blush.

"Hey," Phil exclaimed, "I just remembered, wasn't that Jay Parker I saw at the Governor's table?"

Kate's heart sped up at the mere mention of her lover's name, but she answered casually, "Yeah, I guess he had invited her to be his guest when she interviewed him for this week's cover of Time."

"Woo boy," Gene shook his head, "She looked hot, and I mean hot with a capital H! Did you see that dress she had on? Wow! Do you think she's single Kate?" Without waiting for an answer he prattled on, completely oblivious to the change in his friend's demeanor. "If I had any balls I would've gone right up to her and..."

"If you had any balls you wouldn't know what to do with them," Phil interrupted, laughing.

"Gentlemen, and I use the term very loosely, if you'll excuse me, I've got some work to do." And with that she stalked off.

"What got into her, you think?" Gene wondered.

"Ah, probably just PMS or something," Phil shrugged.

Kate gripped the sink in the bathroom so hard her knuckles were white. She knew if she had stayed there even one moment longer she would have slugged Gene. It wouldn't do to haul off and deck a co-worker for encroaching on her girlfriend when he didn't know he was doing it.

Once she was satisfied she was under control again she returned to her desk. An idea was forming in her head, sparked by her own thoughts and something Phil had said. But first, she had to make a phone call.

*********

Jay arrived in the office a few minutes ahead of schedule after stopping at her apartment to drop off her suitcase and change her clothes.

Trish greeted her as she was passing by, stopping and leaning on the corner of the writer's desk. "Hey, you look like you got a little color this weekend. Do anything interesting?"

"Oh yeah," Jay thought dreamily, "I spent it with the love of my life, snuggled up doing nothing except crossword puzzles, napping outside in the sun, and making love." Aloud she said, "I went up north to the Catskills and did a little hiking. It was beautiful and I guess I must have forgotten the sunblock." "Well, that was the truth, wasn't it?"

"Well, whatever you did, you look great, kind of like you're glowing or something." The editor paused for a second. "Okay, kid, come with me and let's see the goods."

Obediently Jay got up, bringing the manila file folder with the story, her notes and background materials with her. She stood in front of the editor's desk, unsure whether she should just hand her the piece or sit down. Her dilemma was solved when her boss pointed to the chair and put her hand out for the story.

Chewing on her lower lip, the writer handed it over. For the next twenty minutes, as Trish read, grunting occasionally, Jay's anxiety level increased; she couldn't read anything in the editor's expression as her eyes danced across the pages.

Finally, just when the blonde was sure she would spontaneously combust, Trish looked up. "Jamison Parker, I have to tell you, you've outdone yourself again, girl. This," she pointed at the papers, "Is the most three-dimensional piece I think I've ever seen, and believe me, I've seen plenty. I mean, really Jay, it shows uncommon insight into the subject. Congrats. This chick must have given you unprecedented access, geez, what'd she let you do, spend 24 hours a day with her or something?"

Jay almost choked. "You have no idea," she thought, but the words that came out of her mouth were ones she knew would have made Kate laugh: "She was most accommodating."

"Well, you keep this up and you're going to be writing every cover from here on in. Now, why don't you go review the pics they took and help them decide which ones to use. Then maybe I'll give you some time off for good behavior."

"On my way, Trish, and thanks," Jay beamed. She was overjoyed at her boss's comments about the piece, and, if that wasn't enough, she was going to get to spend her afternoon looking at proofs and 8 x 10's of the most gorgeous woman in the world.

"Don't mention it, kiddo," Trish said indulgently as she turned to the other piles of papers littering her desk.

When Jay stopped by her cubicle to drop off her folder on the way to the photo department, the phone was ringing.

"Hello, Jamison Parker."

"Hi beautiful."

The warm, seductive quality of that voice cut through the smaller woman's business demeanor like a hot knife through butter. "Hi yourself, Stretch."

"How was your trip down?"

"Uneventful. I even managed to get to the office a few minutes early."

"That's great. I'm not catching you at a bad time, am I?"

"Well, I was just about to go review pictures of the sexiest woman alive, but..."

"Oh yeah? Who might that be?" A note of indignation crept into the anchorwoman's voice, "I need to know who my competition is."

Jay chuckled and shook her head. "It's you, ya goofball; I was talking about you."

"Oh, well, I guess that's okay then. Everything all right?" She didn't want her lover to think she was prying for information about the story, so she kept the question deliberately vague, giving the writer the room to answer any way she liked.

Jay smiled, easily understanding her lover's intentional use of language and appreciating the gesture. "Everything's more than okay, Trish loved the piece. She said, and I quote, 'it shows uncommon insight inta da subject...dis chick musta given ya unprecedented access...what'd she do, let ya spend 24 owas a day wit ha or somethin''?"

By the time she was finished, Kate was laughing so hard there were tears flowing down her cheeks. When she could breathe, she croaked out, "That's a pretty mean Noo Yawk accent you've got there, Scoop. I can't wait to hear how you answered her question."

"I just told her the truth," Jay paused for effect, knowing that her lover must be dying on the other end of the phone.

"You told her...the truth."

"Yep," Jay answered smugly. "I told her you were very accommodating."

"Oh, you are such a brat. Hey, that was a pretty good one."

"Well, I told the truth, didn't I?"

"That you did, love, that you did." God, it felt so good to be talking to her! Casually she asked, "So, what's next for you?"

"I don't know yet, Trish said something about maybe giving me some time off for good behavior." The younger woman let the comment dangle there, hoping her lover would understand the implications.

"Oh, that's nice," Kate said, seemingly distracted all of a sudden. "Listen, love, I've got to run. Want me to call you when I'm done tonight, or are you going to be asleep?"

Jay tried to hide her disappointment. "Um, you don't have to call if you don't want to."

Kate easily heard the emotion in her lover's voice, fully aware of the reason for it. Although it pained her to ignore it, she did. "Come on, love, trust me, I won't disappoint you." "Of course I want to, sweetheart." Softly, with all the feeling she could convey, she added, "I love you, Jay. I miss you."

"Miss you, too. Love you, bye."

Kate hung up the phone, having heard her lover's attempt to cover her sniffles. She felt awful, but, for right now, she would have to leave it that way until she could be sure she could deliver on her plan.

*********

Jay swatted at the alarm, but the incessant ringing didn't stop. Blearily, she opened one eye and peeked at the offending instrument; nope, she'd been right, she hadn't set the damn thing by accident. So what could be making all the racket? Oh yeah, the telephone.

She grumbled, searching for the receiver by feel; she wasn't ready to open both eyes just yet, not having gotten much sleep after her brief midnight conversation with Kate. Jay hadn't had much to say. She was depressed because her lover hadn't mentioned seeing each other again, even though she had told her that she had the rest of the week off. It wasn't in her to invite herself to Albany. "I will not beg," she told herself resolutely, although that's exactly what her heart wanted her to do.

It was obvious Kate didn't want her there. If she had, she would have offered. After they had hung up, Jay cried for a long time, finally tiring herself out and falling into a fitful sleep at around 3 a.m. Now here it was 9 a.m. on her first day off, she had nothing to do and nowhere to be, and the phone was ringing.

"Hello," she mumbled, her voice rough from crying and too little sleep.

"Hi, I'm waking you, aren't I?"

Jay cleared her throat. "It's okay. What's up?"

"Um, Fred misses you."

Still half asleep, the blonde muttered, "Then how come he's not the one calling me?"

"He's a little shy and he doesn't want to appear to be needy."

"Hmm, I didn't realize he was that deep a thinker. Hold on, it's hard to hear, there's a fire engine going by outside." Jay paused for a moment, noticing as she came more awake that she was hearing the siren in stereo. "Kate?"

"Yess." The sound of the siren faded into the distance.

"Where are you, exactly?"

"At the pay phone outside your building; you can probably see me if you look outside your window."

"Are you kidding me?" Jay was fully awake now.

"Nope."

"Get up here, you goofball! I'm hanging up, go to the door so I can buzz you in."

Within seconds Kate was bounding up the stairs, arriving at the door just as it was being flung open. She scooped her lover into her arms, stepping into the apartment and shutting the door behind her with her foot, as she had done the very first time they had kissed. This time, though, there was no limousine waiting downstairs and nothing on Kate's mind except how much she loved and wanted this wonderful woman in her arms.

She leaned down and reverently ran her hands over Jay's face, finally tangling her fingers in the sleep-tousled golden strands and pulling her into a heart-stopping kiss that didn't end until they were both desperate for air. "Which way is the bedroom?" Kate asked huskily, her eyes darkened with passion.

Without saying a word, Jay took her by the hand and tugged her toward the loft, where she quickly stripped them both, all the while backing her lover toward the bed with purpose.

"I missed you so much, sweetheart, I couldn't stand not having you in my bed last night. I never knew I could feel this way." Kate had to stop talking then, because her lover had inserted a thigh between her legs and the delicious pressure was driving her to distraction. Jay was hovering over her now; her breasts tantalizingly close, but just out of reach of her mouth. Reaching up, Kate ran her thumbs over the aroused nipples, watching avidly as her lover's eyes closed in reaction and she leaned in to the contact. They were both so ready they knew they couldn't stand much more in the way of foreplay, but they continued to tease, taste and touch as long as they could before giving in and taking each other completely.

Sometime later, when they had both recovered and were lying peacefully entangled in one another, Jay asked, "Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not, but what are you doing here, love?"

"If I have to explain it to you..." Kate chuckled, indicating their entwined torsos.

"I don't mean that and you know it, wiseguy. I mean it's Tuesday morning, it's 10 a.m., and you're 150 miles south of where you're supposed to be four hours from now."

"Oh, that. Hand me my jeans, will you?"

Jay shook her head, once again baffled by a non sequitur. She leaned over the edge of the bed and found the requested item where it had been dropped in haste. "Here you go. Are you planning on running out right now or something?" She laughed nervously. "If so, then please disregard the question."

"No, love, of course not. I'm trying to answer you."

"And you need your pants for that?"

"Yess," Kate supplied as she dug around in the pockets. "Ah, here we go. Close your eyes."

"What?"

"Do you always have so much trouble following simple instructions? Close your eyes, woman."

Jay did as she was instructed.

"Now hold out your hand."

She did, and Kate placed a flat item in her palm, closing her fingers around it.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now."

Jay cracked one eyelid, peeking into her outstretched hand, where a brochure rested. She opened the other eye and studied the picture on the front. It showed an endless expanse of sun-drenched white sand and ocean, a beach chair, and the inviting caption: "This could be you." She looked up at Kate questioningly.

Her lover smiled broadly, making her blue eyes twinkle in the sunlight seeping into the loft. "I, um, thought you might enjoy a little time away." She pointed at the brochure. "That's St. John in the British Virgin Islands."

"I don't understand, you're sending me away?"

"Oh, sweetheart," Kate shook her head and pulled her lover on top of her. "I'm sending us away, as in a vacation, as in just the two of us, as in quality time with no distractions, as in we have a plane to catch in..." She looked at the bedside clock..."Three and a half hours."

Jay leaned up on one elbow and stared hard into the eyes of the woman she loved with all her heart. "You're serious."

"Oh, yes, I certainly am," Kate offered sincerely. "I love you, Jamison, and all I want to do is spend more time with you. Will you come away with me? Today? Now? I know I didn't give you any warning, or any choice about the destination, but..."

"Yes. Yes, love, I would follow you to the end of the earth...or at least to a beautiful beach in the Virgin Islands." She smiled and winked. "But how...when...how long..."

"I know there's a question in there just dying to get out, sweetheart. I didn't want to say anything last night until I was sure I had all the arrangements worked out and everything set. That didn't happen until very late, and then I had it in my head that I'd rather surprise you in person than tell you about it over the phone."

"How did you get the time off? Didn't you tell me this is sweeps month? And, you're going to be the hottest property going once the magazine hits the newsstands."

"I asked. Yes it is. And I agreed to be back on the air Monday night, the day the magazine comes out."

"Wow. I can't believe this." Jay looked at her lover, her emerald eyes shining with delight and anticipation. "A whole five days alone with you on a tropical island. Well, this will be tough to take. My God, I've got to pack!" She jumped off the bed, realization dawning, running to her closet to retrieve her suitcase. Before she'd gotten five steps away, she turned around, ran back, and kissed Kate soundly on the mouth. "You're the best, you know that? God, I love you so much."

"I love you, too, sweetheart," and the truth of that shown in the cerulean blue eyes that gazed at her unblinkingly. "Now come here. We've still got time and I am nowhere near done with you yet," Kate growled, pulling her lover back down onto the bed and pinning her in one smooth motion, beginning a very thorough exploration of that tantalizing body.

Chapter 15

Two silhouetted figures strolled hand in hand on the deserted beach, their bare feet splashing softly in the surf, their bodies barely illuminated by the sliver of moonlight and the profusion of stars.

"Kate, this is the most breathtaking place I've ever seen. The sand is so soft and the water is so warm." Jay smiled up at her lover, her emerald eyes sparkling. "This feels like such a dream, being here with you. It's like magic."

"I'm glad you like it, sweetheart."

Their flight had gone without a hitch, and the resort was everything it had been promised to be. They had a secluded villa with a bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen and a balcony overlooking the water. Most importantly, they had each other and time to spend exclusively together without interruption in this island paradise.

"Can we go snorkeling tomorrow? And I want to try sailing, too."

Kate laughed at her companion's enthusiasm. "Honey, we can do anything you want tomorrow, anytime you want to do it. As long as I'm with you, nothing else matters." She stopped for a moment, brushing her fingers along a rounded jaw line and leaning down to kiss the waiting lips.

Jay felt the truth of her lover's statement and it made her heart soar. Could it just have been last night that she lay crying herself to sleep, unsure whether Kate wanted to spend time with her? She sighed, knowing that her past demons had once again led her to expect the worst. So far, all she had gotten from the woman at her side was the very best, and she'd repaid her with doubts and insecurities. She scowled.

"Hey, beautiful, what's with the frown? Did I say something wrong?"

Jay's head jerked up. "No, no, of course not. Just beating myself up a little, that's all."

"Any particular reason?"

"It's nothing, really." She was dejected and it showed.

"Not good enough, Scoop. Come on, let's talk about it so we can get past whatever it is." When her lover didn't look up or respond, Kate added, "Please?"

"Okay, but I feel so stupid."

"Love, you are many things: gorgeous, talented, exceedingly bright, criminally good in bed, funny, compassionate and caring, but one thing you most certainly are not is stupid." She squeezed the hand she still held.

"Well, sometimes I sure feel dumb." She took a deep breath. "When you didn't seem interested that I had the rest of the week off, I thought maybe you didn't want to spend the time with me, even though I desperately wanted to spend it with you. I guess I went down that road pretty far and managed to get myself into a state where I cried myself to sleep last night for three hours."

"Oh, sweetheart, believe me, I was plenty interested, but I didn't want to get your hopes up in case I couldn't get the time off, or couldn't make the plan work. I'm sorry if I led you to think anything different. Nothing could have been further from the truth."

"You don't need to apologize to me, love, it wasn't you; it's just that disappointment has always been a fact of life for me. Reacting to you based on my past experiences isn't fair. I'm the one who owes you an apology: you deserve so much more credit than I've been giving you."

"Jay, look at me." She waited until the green eyes locked on hers. "I will never fault you for reactions that are second nature to you. All I ask is for the chance to re-train your mind until there are no doubts left to erase and no insecurities to overcome; until you can trust in me, trust in us. Can I have that? Can we have that?"

"You are so much more than I deserve. How can it be that of all the women in the world you could have, you want to be with me?"

"Because of all the women in the world, you are the one who owns me, body and soul and the only one I'll ever want or need. I love you, Jay, with all my heart."

"I love you, too, Kate." Jay waited a beat, then bumped her companion with a hip. "Criminally good in bed, eh?"

"Oh yeah."

Together they turned back toward the villa, content just to be in each other's company.

*********

Wednesday dawned bright and clear, sunlight splashing across the bed where a sole occupant lay sprawled. Jay reached out, expecting to find her lover, but instead connecting with the soft cotton sheet. Frowning, she picked her head up; no human teddy bear. Disappointed, she listened for sounds coming from the bathroom. Hearing none, she turned her attention to the kitchen, where she was rewarded with the smell of freshly brewing coffee. She followed her nose and discovered the caffeine, but still no sign of her missing partner.

A quick check of the entire villa confirmed that Kate was AWOL. Still naked, Jay walked to the sliding glass doors that opened onto the balcony and looked out at the beach. Straining her eyes she spied a single figure running gracefully along the surf, long strides eating up the vast expanse of sand, head up, hair flying in the breeze. She smiled reflexively; the sight of her lover caught unaware as she was, outlined against the rising sun, took her breath away.

Several minutes later, dressed in a pair of very short running shorts and a cut off short-sleeved shirt, Jay stood with her toes in the sand at the water's edge, a cup of coffee in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. As she watched, the solitary runner came into view, her features resolving themselves as she got closer.

The second Kate spied the stationary beachcomber, her smile widened into a full-fledged grin. "Good morning, love," she greeted, sweeping her lover into her arms, kissing her lightly on the lips before setting her back on her feet.

"Hi."

"What are you doing out of bed?"

"I missed my snuggle partner."

"Sorry about that. I didn't want to wake you; you were sleeping so peacefully. I get restless sometimes in the morning and it was so beautiful out, I thought I'd come out and take a quick run. I didn't think you'd miss me."

"Honey," Jay chuckled, "I miss you when you go to the bathroom. And I always have a cure for morning restlessness." She waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh you do, do you? Well, I'll have to remember that, although I also seem to recall that you're not a morning person."

"For that, I'd make myself into a morning person." She slipped her arm through Kate's as they made their way up the beach to the villa. "I thought you might need this," she said, handing her partner the water bottle.

"Thanks, as a matter of fact, I could use some. Now all I need is a shower and I'll be good as new."

"Well you'd better be quick about it, because I have plans for you."

"Oh yeah?"

"Mm hmm." Jay proceeded to describe in great detail exactly what she had in mind. After all, they were on vacation.

*********

They lay side by side on a beach blanket, soaking up the sun as it dried their salty skin. Snorkeling gear and fins sat dripping nearby, a testament to their first foray into the lush underwater world of the warm Caribbean waters. It had been a lot of fun, swimming together along a nearby reef, pointing out to each other all of the colorful tropical fish as they motored along their way. They had spotted clownfish and angelfish, lobsters and kissing fish and some species whose names neither one of them knew.

Now they rested quietly, each lost in her thoughts on the peaceful stretch of beach they had claimed for their own. Kate was remembering the earlier part of the morning. Given the proper motivation she had managed to get showered in record time, returning to the bedroom to find her lover waiting for her impatiently. Jay had made good on everything she had promised and more, and it was a wonder that Kate was able to move at all afterward. She smiled; having Jay as a lover would never be boring, that was for certain.

"What are you smiling about, Stretch?"

"Mmm, just thinking about making love with a very beautiful woman this morning. You're going to spoil me, you know. I'll be ruined for life."

"I'm counting on it," Jay responded. "Wait until you see what I have planned for dessert tonight."

Kate groaned, but her grin gave her away. "Still interested in going for a sail?"

"Yeah," her lover replied enthusiastically.

"Okay. How about we dry out a little more, then I'll go make the arrangements while you go find the ingredients for a picnic lunch at sea."

"Oooh, that sounds great. You've got a deal."

*********

The fifteen-foot Javelin skimmed along the water, the anchorwoman at the helm, and Jay hanging backward over the side as the boat heeled almost halfway out of the water. "Prepare to come about," Kate yelled to be heard over the rush of the wind. She waited until her mate nodded before yelling, "Coming about!"

At the command, Jay ducked under the boom and came up on the other side of the boat, where she assumed the same position she had on the starboard side. It went on like this for nearly an hour, until they came in sight of a tiny island off the port side. Kate maneuvered them into the wind, dropping the sails as her lover threw the anchor overboard. They were about twenty-five feet from shore and blocked from the bulk of the wind by the trees.

"Hungry?"

"Am I ever not hungry?" Jay asked, slapping Kate lightly in the stomach.

"I guess that was a stupid question. Let me re-phrase it: are you ready to eat lunch? This seems like a nice spot."

"It's perfect, and I'm more than ready for food, as always." Jay dragged the mini-cooler she had purchased with their supplies from under the hull and opened it. She brought out a tablecloth, a hunk of cheese, some French bread, a couple of mangoes, and a half split of champagne with plastic glasses, along with some water, and closed the cooler, which would double as their table. "Will this do?"

"Looks great to me. Want me to do the honors?" Kate asked as she pointed to the champagne.

"Please."

She popped the cork smoothly and poured two glasses, handing one to her partner. "To a fantastic vacation with the most extraordinary woman in the world."

"I'll drink to that," Jay agreed, interlocking arms with her lover as they each drank from their glass.

They settled side by side on a bench, sharing cheese on bread, licking each other's fingers to ensure that they hadn't left any crumbs behind. In between the bites of food, they traded kisses and nibbles.

"I didn't know you knew how to sail, Stretch. Yet another one of your many secret skills I suppose."

Kate chuckled. "I told you, love, I have no secrets from you, only things we have yet to discover about each other. I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean, it was natural to learn to sail. I learned when I was about ten to skipper boats just like this one. It feels like coming home."

"Yes, I suppose it would. Who taught you to sail?"

"Friends of the family. They would take me out in all kinds of conditions just to make sure I knew how to handle myself out there in the elements. It was great training and good for my confidence; it taught me how to think quickly, be decisive, and react under pressure. All things that have served me well."

"Mmm." Jay wanted to ask more; wanted to know all about Kate's family, but, as her lover had never seemed inclined to talk about them, she was reluctant. She hadn't needed to know for the cover story since the focus had been on the journalist's career, and though she knew she could have asked in that context, she hadn't wanted to satisfy her curiosity by hiding behind a professional pretext.

Wondering when another opportunity might present itself and fearing that it wouldn't, Jay decided to broach the subject delicately. "Your parents didn't sail?"

Kate's posture stiffened imperceptibly; imperceptibly, that is, to anyone who didn't know her body as her lover did. "No. They never went out with me."

"We've never really talked about your family. I'm sorry, if it's a sore subject, we can drop it."

"No, no, that's okay, love. Nothing is off limits to you; ask away. I don't want there to be anything but honesty and full disclosure between us." The blue eyes darkened in memory. "My mother was a strong woman; she was an artist and an advocate for those less fortunate than we were. She volunteered in the court system for abused spouses and fought single-mindedly for the things she believed in; a great athlete, too. She's the one who taught me how to play tennis." Kate smiled at the recollection. "She was tough, but very smart and passionate about social causes and the difference between right and wrong; there wasn't much gray with her, everything was black or it was white."

"It sounds like you loved and admired her very much." Jay reached out and touched the back of her lover's hand. "But you talk about her in the past tense."

"Yes." Tears sprang unexpectedly to Kate's eyes. "Both my parents were killed by a drunk driver when I was 18."

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm so, so sorry; I didn't know." Jay moved the few inches and wrapped her arms around her partner, offering comfort for a pain that would never end.

"My father had always wanted a Corvette. He finally found a mint condition 1968; maroon with tan leather interior and a stick shift. He was in Heaven; I called it his mid-life crisis car. He and my mother were driving home from a party late one night on the Hutchison River Parkway when a drunk slammed into them from behind, knocking them headfirst into a tree at 85 miles per hour. They didn't stand a chance."

"Love, I don't know what to say."

"It's okay, at least they didn't suffer; they were both pronounced dead at the scene. Their best friends, who also were lawyers and the executors of their estate, called me at school. It was December 22nd, three days before Christmas my freshman year. They took care of the details of selling the house and all of that kind of stuff, and set up a trust for me. There was plenty of money for me to finish college and live comfortably afterward, but..."

"But you'd give it all back just to have them alive, wouldn't you?"

"Yeah, I would. I never had any brothers or sisters, so it's just been me ever since."

"Seems like we've both become orphans, in a way."

"There are two kinds of families, Jay. Those you are born into, and those you create. To me you are my family now, and nothing could make me happier."

"Me too, love. Me too."

They sat for a while, holding each other silently and enjoying the peaceful solitude of the water and the nearby-uninhabited island. As the wind began to pick up a bit and the sun crawled across the sky, Kate roused them from their reveries and headed them back toward the resort.

*********

The candles flickered in the breeze, creating interesting shadows across the faces of the lovers as they enjoyed a romantic dinner for two on the outdoor patio at a local restaurant on the water. They were so wrapped up in each other that they barely took notice of the other restaurant patrons around them, some of whom stared at them in open disgust.

"Can you believe they just sit there like that, holding hands as if it were normal? What is this world coming too, anyway? Somebody ought to do something about that sort of thing. Earl, go over and talk to them."

"I'm not goin' anywhere. I'm gonna sit here and eat my meal and mind my own business, and I suggest you do the same."

"Hmph. Well, I tell you, they're ruining my appetite."

"Yeah, I can tell," Earl said, as he noted his wife's mostly empty plate.

Kate, whose ears were finely tuned and very sensitive, heard the entire exchange, but chose to ignore it and concentrate instead on the beautiful woman sitting across from her.

"What are you smiling about, Stretch?"

"I'm just trying to remember what I did before I had you in my life. Right about now, if it wasn't a work night, Fred and I would be sitting in the library reading a good book and munching on stuffed animals." At the raised eyebrow, she clarified, "Of course, the book is for Fred and the stuffed animals are mine."

"Of course," the emerald eyes twinkled.

"You've brought so much into my life, Jay. I'm so thankful to have you."

"Right back at ya, sweetheart. Right about now I'd be sitting on the sofa with a magazine and a bag of popcorn, critiquing the competition's writing style. Shallow, but somehow satisfying."

Kate laughed. "Aren't we just a couple of live wires. Can I interest you in dessert, perhaps?"

Jay smiled evilly, "Only if you're on the menu."

"I dunno, have you read the menu? Do you know your choices?"

"I know that I would choose the same thing every time, I don't even need to see what's available."

"In that case, may I escort you home, princess?"

Unable to resist the temptation on the way out, Kate stopped at Earl's table, pulling Jay to a halt with her, not letting go of her hand. She put on her most charming smile, oozing charisma, and, in her best southern accent drawled, "Excuse me, but we couldn't help but notice what a lovely couple you make. How long have y'all been married, if you don't mind my askin'?"

"Forty two years," the wife replied, puffing herself up like a peacock.

"Well, I do declare. Jam'son, did y'all hear that? I just hope that someday we can be just like you...so in love after so many years. In't that right, suga?"

"Why yes, honeybunch," Jay played along, not at all sure what was going on, but having great fun just the same.

"By the way," Kate lowered her voice conspiratorially, snaring the old woman with her gaze, and resting her free hand on her arm, "I just luuv your outfit. Liz Claiborne, if I'm not mistaken; one of my personal favorites. It looks just perfect on you, honey."

"Thank you very much."

"Well, we'd best be goin' now and leave these nice folks alone, right Jam'son?"

"Right, peaches. It was sooo nice to meet y'all. Have a great night."

When they had walked away, the old woman swatted Earl on the arm. "Well, wasn't that nice. I had no idea those kind of people had such good taste; they know a good marriage and proper clothing when they see it." Earl didn't answer; his eyes were still following the two gorgeous women's progress as they disappeared from the restaurant.

Once outside, Jay turned to her lover, her eyes gleaming. "Okay, want to tell me what that was all about, 'suga'?"

"Just having a little fun, that's all," she smiled warmly at her partner.

"Because...why?"

"The old bat took exception to our public display of affection, and I thought I'd play with her a little. Thanks for going along with me, that was great sport."

"How did you know she was wearing Liz Claiborne, a lucky guess?"

"Nope. Her tag was hanging out in back."

"You are so bad."

"You're about to find out how bad," she purred in her sexiest register.

Jay, her skin already tingling in anticipation, could only whimper.

*********

Kate brushed her fingers lightly over her lover's bare buttocks and back, reveling in the feel of silky soft skin and the scent that was so uniquely Jay. She had been overwhelmed with a desire last night to show this exceptional woman exactly what she felt for her. She had started with slow caresses and deep kisses, added some strategically placed nibbles and bites, and luxuriated in the thrill of her lover's rising excitement. She had stilled Jay's wandering hands, wanting her instead to focus exclusively on her own pleasure.

"Tell me what you want, sweetheart, all of it. I want to make everything you've ever fantasized about, everything you've ever dreamed, come true."

"You already have," Jay breathed, and that was the truth.

"Is this what you want?" Kate asked, running her tongue up the inside of one thigh, lightly kissing the engorged tissues, briefly sucking her lover into her mouth and then letting her go.

"Argghh. God, Kate, that feels so good."

"Or would you prefer this?" She smoothed long fingers over downy soft skin and into blonde curls, barely dipping into the wetness, swirling her fingers around once and retreating.

"Ahhh. Oh, love."

"Tell me what you want, sweetheart, and it's all yours." She looked into emerald eyes gone coal black with need.

"Please, take me now, I need you so much; I want you so much. I can't stand it." Jay could barely grind the words out.

Sensing that no further instruction was forthcoming, Kate made her own decision, entering her lover slowly with long, slender fingers, seeking the sensitive spots she knew so well, adding to the pressure with a thigh, setting the rhythm, following the rise and fall of her lover's hips. Then she lowered her head, taking an aroused nipple into her mouth, swirling the tip and biting down gently. Jay moaned, grasping her lover's hair and pulling her more firmly onto her breast. Kate complied, biting down harder, Jay crying out her name as she exploded in orgasm.

Continuing to stroke her lightly Kate gentled Jay, allowing her breath to settle briefly before replacing fingers with tongue, taking first quick and then long, firm strokes until she was once again begging for release. Grasping Jay's buttocks, Kate pulled her tighter against her mouth, increasing the pressure of her tongue against the already swollen tissues. Immediately she felt her lover shudder with pleasure and heard her gasp as she came again.

Moving up to lay along side her exhausted lover, Kate brushed stray blonde strands from her eyes, kissing her with as much feeling as she could convey. "I want you to know how incredibly good you taste, love. You are my life. I love you, Jay."

"I love you too, sweetheart, and I'd love to show you just how much, unfortunately someone has worn me out completely for the moment."

"That's all right, all I want right now is to hold you." And she had, the two women falling blissfully asleep tangled in each other's arms.

Now here it was just before dawn, and Kate was as content as she'd ever been. She closed her eyes again and waited for her lover to wake.

*********

The remainder of the morning was spent lying on the beach, taking an occasional swim and snorkeling. The afternoon was reserved once again for sailing to the spot they had discovered the day before. As she had previously, Kate took the helm, but this time, she explained to Jay as she went, teaching her what she knew. Halfway out, she motioned her lover to join her at the tiller, positioning her between her legs facing outward, and placing her hand on the tiller as well.

"Here, just pick a point over the bow and keep the tiller pointed at it. With your other hand, you hold the ropes that control the mainsail and jib. Pull tighter if you want to catch more wind, let them out a little if you want to slow down, okay? If you want to get stopped dead in your tracks, head directly into the wind."

"Sounds easy enough," Jay said.

Kate let them run along that way for a bit so that her lover could get the feel of it. She leaned down into a nearby ear. "Ready to turn?"

"Just tell me what to do." And the skipper did, letting her mate do some of the work, but never relinquishing full control. "How'd I do?"

"Not bad. Don't forget the tension on the sails, that's critical, and make sure you warn the crew when you're about to shift directions."

"Got it."

They practiced together all the way out to the island, Jay getting more and more excited about her new skills as they went. Kate smiled at her enthusiasm, loving the sparkle in her eyes that matched the color of the water.

"Honey, I don't want to stop just yet. Can we sail around the island, and can I take the helm by myself?"

"You think you're ready for that?"

"Nothing to it," Jay replied.

Kate, who was a seasoned sailor, was a little leery of letting her lover handle the boat by herself. Then she remembered the first time she had gotten to solo: her mentor had taken her out to an island not that different from this one and let her loose, calmly correcting her when she had made mistakes and giving her the freedom to learn. That trust had meant so much to her. "Okay," she smiled. "Let me just get us around this corner, then it's all yours."

Jay could hardly contain her glee.

Kate moved out from behind her lover, positioning herself on the starboard side for now. "Okay, pick a point and follow it with the bow and the tiller."

Jay did.

"Good, now pull in the mainsail just a little bit and point the tiller a little to your left so that we catch a little more wind. Not too much, though."

"Aye, aye, cap'n."

"Easy, there, matey, easy...that's too much, let it out a bit."

Jay had pulled the sail tight as she turned to the left, causing the wind to fill the sail full. The boat picked up speed at what was to Jay an alarming rate.

"It's okay, love," Kate shouted to be heard over the wind and the water rushing by. She was leaning out over the boat as far as she could, trying to keep them from heeling all the way and capsizing. She could see the panic building in her lover's eyes as they grew wide. "Don't worry. Just let the sail out a little, don't make any sudden shifts."

But even as she said the words, a small swell caused Jay to lose her balance. As she began to fall, she yanked the tiller hard, causing the boat to turn violently to the right. The mainsail line slipped through her fingers, the sail beginning to flap wildly in the wind. With the sudden shift in direction the boom swung hard the other way, catching Kate in the side of the head before she even had time to duck and knocking her unconscious, the momentum pitching her overboard and into the water. Jay barely had time to blink in the space it had taken to lose her lover. Her scream died on the wind.

On the shore of the tiny island, some tourists who had disembarked from a nearby cruise ship witnessed the entire scene. The two crewmembers that had transported the passengers in a motorized dinghy saw the tragedy unfolding as well, and they were in their craft even before Kate hit the water and were speeding to the rescue.

"Hang on. We'll be right there," the smaller of the two men yelled.

As they reached the sailboat and grabbed hold of the side, Jay dove overboard, desperate to find her lover. Surfacing once to take a breath, she dove back down, trying valiantly to see despite the tears that clouded her vision. She struggled to clear her mind and let her lifesaving instructor training take over, trying to gauge the current, figuring how far the boat had moved past the spot where Kate had gone overboard. Running out of air, she was forced to break the surface one more time to take a breath before re-submerging. It had been two agonizing minutes, and every second more decreased the chances of finding her lover alive.

There! Finally, she spotted the still figure, lying limp on the ocean floor, fifteen feet below the surface. Kicking hard, she propelled herself downward, reaching out and grabbing an arm, then planting her feet on the bottom and pushing off with all her strength. Jay broke the surface, pulling her limp lover into a lifesaving carry and signaling to the circling dingy. Within seconds, one of the men pulled along side, grabbing the unresponsive woman under the armpits and hauling her into the dinghy. Then he reached over again and assisted the small blonde into the craft.

"Can you get us to the island? Please hurry." Jay turned her attention to the prone figure, checking for a pulse and breathing. "She's not breathing, but she has a pulse." Her voice shook and her whole body trembled, but she put everything aside except the thought of saving the other half of her soul. Nothing else mattered.

She laid Kate out and rolled her onto her side, clearing her mouth and then compressing her abdomen, emptying her stomach of the water that had seeped into her system. She checked again for breathing and pulse. The pulse was there, although weaker, and she still wasn't breathing.

"Miss, we're at the shore now." There was a hand on Jay's shoulder. "Let us help you get her onto the sand."

"Hurry, I have to save her. I have to."

The look of agony on her face told the man all he needed to know. "We'll do everything we can, Miss."

Two passengers who had been watching from the shore met them as they hit the sand, grabbing the dinghy and beaching it and helping the crewmember lift the unconscious woman out of the boat and onto the ground.

Jay dropped to her knees by Kate's head, checking one more time for pulse and breathing before laying her head back, pinching off her nose, and beginning mouth-to-mouth. This couldn't be real; it had to be a nightmare, that's all. The only sounds she could hear were the beating of her own heart hammering in her ears and the whoosh of the air she was breathing into her lover's lungs. In between breaths, she watched for the telltale rise and fall of the chest, listened with her ear by Kate's mouth for air escaping. For an agonizing minute, nothing happened save the continued rhythm of the mouth-to-mouth breathing every five seconds.

Tears streamed down Jay's face as she leaned over one more time, breathing life into the woman without whom she was sure she would die. "Please, love," she pleaded, "Please don't leave me now, I couldn't bear it. I need you so much. Please, please stay with me." She turned her head to the side, placing her ear near her lover's lips and watching her chest. Just as she was about to turn and give another breath, Kate coughed weakly and made a choking sound. Quickly, Jay inserted herself behind her upper back, sitting her up a little to clear her airway. Kate coughed several more times, gasping for air, her lover holding her tightly from behind.

"Jay..." It came out as a hoarse whisper.

"Shh. Don't talk now. You're okay, love, you're going to be okay." She rocked Kate back and forth in her arms, forgetting for a moment about her head injury; ignoring that there were other people present; blocking out everything except the feeling of life coursing through the body pressed against her chest.

After a moment, Kate leaned to the side and vomited, Jay soothing her and rubbing her back.

"Miss, she really needs to be checked out. We have a doctor aboard the ship," the young crewmember pointed in the direction of the cruise ship, which was now plainly visible from this side of the island. "We could take you on board and let him have a look. She took a nasty blow to the side of her head, it could be dangerous still."

"Thank you, you're right. Are you sure that would be okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," the other crewmember smiled at her. "I'm sure doc would be happy to help. He's always complaining about being lonely."

Jay looked around for the first time, noting the crowd of people that had gathered. She also noticed that the sailboat had been towed safely onto the sand. She wiped her eyes self-consciously, never letting go of Kate, who was wheezing and semi-alert.

Seeing the indecision on Jay's face, one of the male bystanders said, "We could lift her into the dinghy for you."

"That's very sweet, thank you."

"No problem, and don't worry, we'll be careful not to move her head. Okay guys, give me a hand."

With that three other burly men stepped forward, gently grabbing Kate and lifting her into the dinghy. Jay never let go of her lover's hand and scooted in behind her in the boat as the men helped the crewmembers give it a shove off.

Within minutes they had arrived at the side of the large cruise ship, several more crewmembers meeting them and attaching lines to the dinghy so that it could be lifted mechanically out of the water and up to deck level, where a stretcher and the doctor were waiting. For the first time, Jay realized that the crewmembers must have been in contact with the ship by radio, transmitting the emergency and getting everyone ready to assist. She was grateful beyond words.

"I don't know how to thank you two. You saved her life; I don't know what I would have done without you." Tears spilled down her cheeks.

"No, no Miss. You saved her life, we just lent a little bit of a helping hand."

There was no time for more talk just then because the mechanical lift ground to a halt, the crewmembers and doctor springing into action, transferring Kate to the stretcher and carrying her to the infirmary.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Hanratty," the medic said, noting that the small blonde woman hadn't moved from the patient's side, nor let go of her hand.

"I..." Jay cleared her throat around the emotion that still threatened to choke her. "I'm Jamison Parker and this is Katherine Kyle."

"Nice to meet you both. Trust me, I promise to take good care of your friend." He smiled kindly at Jay, who looked as if she might collapse herself. "Do you want to sit down for a minute?"

"NO," she said too quickly. She didn't want to let go of Kate's hand, couldn't bear to lose contact with her.

"Okay, well, let me tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to take a quick look at her, then x-ray her head. I understand she took a nasty blow, is that right?"

Jay simply nodded, unable to answer around the lump in her throat, knowing it had been all her fault.

"Don't worry, young lady, I'm sure she's going to be just fine, and from what I hear, she owes that to you. You're quite a hero."

"I don't feel like a hero. If it hadn't been for me, she wouldn't have gotten knocked in the head in the first place."

"Excuse me," a voice said weakly from the stretcher. "Jamison," she motioned her lover to lower her head so that she could make eye contact with her. "This was not your fault, it was an accident. Stuff happens. I love you, and I'm here with you and that's all that matters, okay?"

"Okay."

"Look me in the eye and say that like you mean it, Scoop."

Jay smiled for the first time in what seemed like hours. "Okay, Stretch," she said more strongly, glad beyond measure just to be able to hear her voice.

"That's better. Okay, doc, let's get this over with, I've got a vacation to get back to."

"That's the spirit," the doctor said, and proceeded with his examination.

*********

Outside, the two crewmembers were talking amongst themselves. "Man, that poor woman took a hell of a whack to the side of her head; that boom was really moving."

"No kidding, she sailed about five feet in the air before she landed. You could tell by the way she hit the water that she was already out cold. Sank like a stone."

"The cute blonde did all right, though, finding her so quickly. Must have had some training; she knew just what to do."

"Yep, handled everything by the book, just like they teach you. Come to think of it, that was pretty amazing, considering how shook up she was. Did you see the way her hands were trembling?"

"Wouldn't yours have been if it had been you? Jesus, her friend would've been dead, or at least brain damaged in another minute or two."

"You think something's going on there?"

"You mean do I think they're more than 'friends'? Hell, I wish my wife would like at me the way they looked at each other. Yeah, I think something's going on there."

"Too bad, they're both awesome looking. Nice bodies, too."

"Man, you need a girlfriend."

"You got that right. By the way, the captain says we can use the dinghy to take the two of them back to the main island if the tall one checks out okay. We can tow the sailboat behind, it should be alongside by now, they were bringing it with the other dinghy that went out to cover the passengers we left on the island."

"Good, I'd like to see it through, make sure they get back all right. I feel badly for the kid. You know she's got to be thinking it was all her fault. Bet she's gonna have trouble sleeping tonight."

"Yeah, can't say I envy her. I wouldn't want to live with that."

"If the wind hadn't picked up just then like it did, she would have been fine."

"Yeah, and with the direction it was blowing, we could hear the instructions, but she obviously couldn't. Her friend was telling her the right thing, if she could've heard her, she probably could've made the correction in time. Poor kid."

The ship's captain joined them.

"Hi guys. Any word on our visiting patient?"

"She and her friend are in with the doc right now."

"Good, I think I'll take a peek." With that, he opened the door to the infirmary.

The doctor glanced up at the sound of the door opening. "Hi Bert. How are you?"

"Fine Jake, just fine. How's our guest doing?"

"Captain Bert Higgins, I'd like you to meet Ms. Jamison Parker and Ms. Katherine Kyle. Ladies, this is the man in charge of this tub."

"Hey, old man, watch how you talk about your home. Hello ladies, it's a pleasure to meet you both, though I wish it were under better circumstances."

"Captain, we can't thank you enough for offering us your facilities and the assistance of your crew. The doctor and your crewmembers have been fantastic."

"You're quite welcome, Ms. Parker. We're all happy we could help. Do you have everything you need? We'll be docked here for another few hours, and I've instructed the boys to take you back to the main island when you're ready. We've got the Javelin, too, and you can tow that behind." He noticed that Jay was shivering slightly, which made sense, since she was wearing only a wet bikini. "If you'll excuse me for a minute, I'll be right back."

"Okay, Katherine," the doctor turned his attention back to his patient. "Here's the deal: you've got a pretty bad concussion and you're going to have a heck of a headache for a while. The bump should go down by tomorrow morning as long as you ice it every now and again. I don't see any skull fracture, which is a good thing. Your pupils are still a bit dilated and your vision isn't as clear as I'd like, but I think that will resolve itself by tomorrow. It seems as though your brain is working fine, and your hearing is clearly superior. As for your lungs, you took in quite a bit of water and that's got to clear your system. You and your friend here managed to get rid of most of it, but there may be some hiding in there. I'm going to give you some antibiotics just in case; can't have you developing pneumonia on your vacation after all. I'd rather you didn't lay flat tonight and I don't want you sleeping for too long with that concussion. Jamison, your job is to wake her up every two hours or so to make sure she's all right. No heavy exertion for the next couple of days, and you should probably stay out of the sun tomorrow. Otherwise, you're going to be just fine. You're young and strong and you obviously have a hard head."

"Hey, I think I should resent that!"

"Who are you kidding, Stretch, you know he's right."

"Whose side are you on, anyway?"

Captain Higgins returned at that moment carrying something in his hand. "Not that you two don't do those bathing suits justice, mind you, but you looked a little cold. I thought you could use these." He held out two brand new sweatshirts bearing the ship's logo and likeness.

"You didn't have to do that, sir, but thank you." Jay reached out and took the offered clothing, taking the medium for herself and giving the large to her partner.

"Bert, I think these lovely ladies are ready for transport anytime you're ready. That is, unless you have any questions, ladies?"

"Doctor, we can't thank you enough," Jay threw her arms around him and hugged him briefly, which made him blush.

"If all my patients were like you two, I might actually enjoy my work." He winked as he and the captain helped Kate off the examining table.

The injured woman walked slowly toward the door, shaking hands with the doctor and thanking him on her way out.

"Jamison, can you wait a second?" He motioned to the captain to walk Kate out.

She looked at him expectantly.

"Listen, you've been through quite a trauma yourself. Watching your friend go overboard and nearly drown, saving her, doing mouth-to-mouth; that takes a lot out of you, especially when it's someone as important to you as Katherine clearly is." He looked at her kindly. "I want you to know that what you did was extraordinary. You saved her life. She wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for your quick thinking and good reactions. You did better than most professionally trained personnel under a heap of pressure. I'm very proud of you." He noticed that she still hung her head.

"None of that would have been necessary if I hadn't screwed up in the first place. And enough hours with Resusci-Annie ought to prepare anyone for mouth-to-mouth. I've never been so glad to be a certified lifesaving instructor in my life, believe me. At the time I took the course and started teaching it was just a way to earn extra money at college."

"Well, the training certainly paid off. And, young lady," he added, lifting her chin with his fingers, "To hear Katherine tell it, you were doing just fine out there. Sometimes circumstances have a way of wreaking havoc with us, and there's not much we can do about it. She doesn't blame you; in fact, she's more worried about you than she is about herself. When you stop to breathe, this is all going to hit you pretty hard. When it does, remember how lucky you are to have each other and count your blessings, not your faults. Now go on, she's waiting for you."

"Thanks, Doctor," she reached up on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek, "For everything."

*********

By the time they got back to the villa and got settled it was late afternoon, and it was the first time they had been alone together since the accident. Jay moved around the room, putting away their things, opening and closing the drapes, keeping herself busy doing anything and everything except looking at her lover.

"Sweetheart, come here."

She stopped mid-motion. "Um, are you hungry? Gosh, you must be. Let me go get you something to eat." She started out of the bedroom.

"Jamison, please, come here." Kate held out her hand, beckoning to her lover.

Jay perched on the far edge of the bed, picking at her shorts with nervous fingers.

"Not good enough, Scoop. I want you right here." She patted the bed next to her.

Still without making eye contact, Jay moved gingerly next to her.

"Look at me, love."

She couldn't.

"Jay, please, don't do this. I'm sitting right next to you and I miss you desperately. Look at me."

The eyes that met hers were filled with so much pain, so much agony, that it made Kate bleed inside. "I love you so much, sweetheart," she said as she took Jay's hand in hers and kissed it. It was freezing.

The physical contact was all it took for the dam to break. Jay threw herself into Kate's arms, great heaving sobs wracking her body. "I could've killed you. I nearly did. It was all my fault, I..." She couldn't go on for a moment around the lump in her throat.

Kate pushed aside the pain in her skull, stroking the blonde head, whispering nonsense and letting Jay cry herself out. She knew her lover needed to release all of the pent up emotion; it was the only way for them to get past this.

"Hey, what happened could've happened with anyone. It was an accident, honey. An accident, that's all. I'm here and alive thanks to you. Your quick thinking and skill are what saved me. I'm so impressed with what you did, Jay. The guys couldn't stop talking about it all the way back here.

"I thought I was ready. I thought I could handle it. I was having so much fun."

"And you were doing a great job. You just need a little more experience and you'll be a great skipper."

"I'm never going out there again."

"Nonsense. It's like riding a horse; you have to get right back on. Love, I don't even want to tell you all the mistakes I made when I was first learning. Let's just say that there was a stretch there when the boat spent more time upside down than it did right side up."

"Maybe, but I bet nobody drowned as a result of your screw ups."

"No, they didn't, but that was just by dumb luck. And, thanks to you, nobody drowned today, either." Kate chuckled, reminiscing, "I did get us trapped under the hull on more than one occasion."

"You're just saying that to make me feel better."

"Jamison, look at me." She picked her lover's head up with her fingertips. "I will never, ever, tell you something just because I think you want to hear it. There will never be anything but the truth between us, remember?" The intensity of her gaze, even with eyes clouded with pain, bespoke how seriously Kate meant what she said, and her lover knew it. "I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, and yes, some of them have been pretty costly, but I know I can't do anything to change that. I can only live with the knowledge and move on, using those experiences to make me a better person."

"God, I love you so much, Kate. I couldn't have borne it if I'd lost you."

"But you didn't lose me, love, you saved me. Your refusal to give up on me is the reason I'm alive. Jay, accidents happen to everyone. Did you mean for the boom to hit me in the head?"

"Of course not!"

"Did you mean for me to get knocked unconscious and fall overboard?"

"NO!"

"Right, that's exactly my point; sometimes things are beyond our control. I never should have put you in a position where something like that could happen, I should have known better."

"How could you know what was going to happen? Don't be ridiculous."

Kate smiled, having led her partner right where she wanted her. "Mm hmm."

Jay looked up sheepishly. "That was sneaky."

"Well, you know I'm like that."

"Yep, I do."

They each leaned forward, their mouths meeting in a dance of thanks and prayer and love.

*********

The next day was spent resting and relaxing in a secluded, shady spot in the shadow of their villa, in view of the water. Jay was tired, having awakened several times during the night with nightmares and several more times to check on her lover and reassure herself that she was really there. As for Kate, her skull was pounding and her body was sore. She was more than happy to hold Jay as she napped and wait for her to stir.

When she did, Kate asked, "Could you tell me a story, my head hurts too much to read?"

"A story?"

"Yeah, you know, make something up, or pick one that you know. Didn't you write your own fiction in college?"

Jay laughed. "Yep, most of it was about you."

"Me?"

"Uh huh. Remember how I told you about Sarah reading my journal and accusing me of having an affair with you in my heart?"

"Oh yeah," Kate said unenthusiastically. "I think I was trying to forget the part where you had a previous lover in your life."

"Sweetheart, that wasn't love, that was comfort and companionship. This, now, this is love." Jay pulled herself up and kissed her lover in a way that clearly reinforced her point.

"Mmm," Kate licked her lips. "Okay, so tell me one of those. Puulleease," she pleaded, batting her eyelashes.

"You asked for it..." For the rest of the afternoon Jay regaled her lover with the stories that she had created in her imagination about the mysterious, remarkable dark-haired siren that had captured her heart.

*********

Saturday morning Kate awoke far more clear-headed, the pounding in her skull reduced to nothing more than a dull ache. It was their last full day of vacation, and she had plans to set in motion for today. She kissed her lover's fair head, running her fingers through the silky strands. When that didn't rouse the sleeping beauty, she began taking more drastic measures, nibbling her lover's exposed neck and along her jaw line and brushing her fingers ever so lightly over her ribcage.

Jay groaned and snuggled more closely. "It can't be time to get up already," she mumbled into a breast.

Kate chuckled. "Well, I guess that depends." She nipped an earlobe.

"On what?"

"On whether you want to stay in bed alone all day, or spend it with me."

"Urgh. That is so unfair. You know that, right?"

"Uh huh."

"But you don't care, right?"

"Uh huh."

"Wench. I bet I could find a way to put you back to sleep." She waggled her eyebrows suggestively, knowing full well that a round of thorough lovemaking was sure to relax her partner to the point of slumber. She bit down on a convenient nipple.

"Oh no you don't, Princess," Kate shook her head as she captured her lover's hands and pulled away from her questing mouth.

"Hey, I was enjoying my breakfast."

"Ayup, and so was I, but it will have to wait for later, doll. We've got things to do."

"We do?"

"Yesss."

"Like what?"

"What do you say, since it's our last full day of vacation..."

"Don't remind me."

"...That I get to choose how we spend the morning, and you get to pick the afternoon activity."

"Sounds fair enough. You go first."

"Okay, we're going sailing." She felt her lover go stiff as a board against her and tremble slightly. "Hey, we won't go far, and I promise to stay right by you."

"Oh no you don't. We only go if you take the tiller." Jay was terrified and it showed.

"No can do, love," Kate said gently. "You need to get past this, and I need for you to. Sailing is something I really enjoy, and I know you do too. I've always wanted to own a sailboat," she admitted. "I want to keep it docked on a lake not far away from my house, and I want us to be able to spend time together on it. More than that, I want to be able to sit and enjoy the ride sometimes while you play skipper, which I know you're going to love. Please, this is important to me."

Jay couldn't resist the plea in her lover's eyes, so she gave in. "Okay, but you stay right by my side."

"Every second."

"And then we get to go over to St. Thomas and go shopping this afternoon."

Kate rolled her eyes and sighed, inwardly thrilled that her plan was working out perfectly. "Deal."

*********

The day was calm, with not much wind and no chop to the water. Still, they did not venture out of the shelter of the bay, and Kate stayed by her lover's side the entire time. At first, Jay was so petrified that she could barely function, but Kate kept talking to her, instructing her and encouraging her, until at last she began to relax a little.

Gradually, the pupil learned how to tack, when to let the sail out, when to pull it in and how much, how to read the wind, how to get herself into and out of irons, heading directly into the wind and then maneuvering into position so that the wind would fill the sail once again, and how to prepare to drop anchor. By the end of the morning when they returned the boat, she was actually laughing and having a good time.

She looked at Kate, who had sat beside her the entire time, patiently teaching, cajoling, and correcting. "Thank you," she said with as much feeling as she could convey.

"Hmm?"

"I said thank you. Thank you for making me do this, thank you for showing me that I could, thank you for being patient with me, and thank you for trusting me."

Kate beamed. "Thank you, for humoring me and being brave. Going out there today took a lot of courage, and I want you to know how much it means to me that you would do that, despite your misgivings."

"If it's important to you, it's important to me, love. And besides, you were right: I did enjoy that."

"I have to tell you that you're the fastest learner I've ever taught. You understand the concepts intuitively, and your reactions are quite good. I'm really impressed."

"You're just..." The rest of the phrase died on her lips at the raised eyebrow she received; message understood. "Thanks," she murmured instead. "Now can we go shopping?"

"You, young lady, are incorrigible. Yes," she sighed dramatically, "We can go shopping."

"You're the best." She kissed her lover on the lips as they made their way into the villa to change for an afternoon of shopping and dinner on St. Thomas.

*********

"I can't believe we have to leave here today, it's not fair." Jay, whose hair had bleached to an even lighter shade of blonde after nearly a week in the Caribbean sun, was snuggled securely in her lover's arms, watching the Sunday morning sunrise from their balcony. Surprisingly, she had been first to waken and suggest they throw on some clothes and step outside. She turned to see the face she knew so well, and to look into eyes that held her soul, eyes that now gazed at her indulgently.

"I agree, sweetheart, and there's nothing I'd rather do than stay here with you forever. Unfortunately, reality has a way of intruding, and, since neither one of us is independently wealthy, there is the small matter of having to get back to work tomorrow." As she had told Jay before they left for St. John, when Kate had bullied the news director into giving her the time off, he had grumpily given in, but only on the condition that she be back on the air Monday night, the day the Time cover story was to hit the newsstands. After all, it was sweeps month, that time of year when ratings were calculated and advertising rates set accordingly. Good ratings meant big bucks and every station pulled out all the stops to draw viewers.

"Kate, what are we going to do when we get back? I mean, you're in Albany, and I'm in New York City..." She had waited all week for her lover to say something about their future together, and, now that they were about to leave, she was getting anxious about it.

Kate rose quickly from the lounge chair. "Take a walk on the beach with me, love?"

Jay was puzzled and not a little concerned about the abrupt change in subject, but, as she was already being propelled back inside the villa, she had few options except to go along.

********

The two women had the stretch of brilliant white sand all to themselves in the moments just after dawn, and they strolled hand in hand, their feet in the surf and their hearts beating in synchrony. Reaching an old piece of driftwood a ways down the beach just out of view of the resort, Kate motioned for Jay to sit. She did, surprised when her lover didn't immediately join her.

The newly risen sun shone on the blonde's face, making her emerald eyes dance and glitter. The sight took Kate's breath away, and she had to pause for a moment to gather herself before speaking. She knelt before Jay and fidgeted in the sand.

"This vacation has been like a dream come true to me, spending five uninterrupted days with you. I never imagined that I was capable of feeling for anyone what I feel for you, nor did I think anyone could ever love me as I know you do." Kate swallowed audibly; this was even harder than she thought it would be. "I know that as long as you're by my side, my heart will always be full of love and joy and my soul will always be complete." She peeked up at her lover through dark bangs. Jay's eyes were focused intently on hers.

Looking down at her hands, Kate sighed and pushed ahead, "I've been doing a lot of thinking these past few days, and a lot of soul searching. I know with absolute certainty what I want, and I can only hope that it's what you want, too." At this point she looked directly into her lover's eyes with a gaze so honest, so open, direct, and so full of love, that it made Jay's heart skip a beat. Kate reached out and took the smaller hands in front of her.

"Love, I can't imagine a day...no, a minute of my life without you in it. I want us to be together always, not 150 miles apart, not 15 miles apart. I will go anywhere, and do anything I have to do to make that happen. Believe it or not, I've always been an old-fashioned sort of gal, so I'm going to do this the old-fashioned way: Jay, will you marry me and live with me as my wife?" Letting go of one hand, she reached into her pocket, bringing out a small velvet box, placing it in her lover's palm and closing her fingers around it. Jay looked down at her hand, unable to find her voice right away.

Nervous beyond measure that she had read Jay wrong and moved too far too fast, Kate began to babble into the stunned silence. "I know it hasn't been that long, and I know we can't legally get married, and I know there's a lot of logistics to work out, but I don't care about any of that, all that matters is that I want to be with you for the rest of my life, and I want that to start right away, today, right now..."

"Yes," Jay whispered so quietly that Kate was sure she hadn't said anything at all. "Yes," she said more strongly, lunging forward, wrapping her lover in a huge hug and knocking her over backward into the sand where she landed on top of her. "Yes I will marry you, yes I will live with you, yes it can't happen soon enough, yes I love you more than life itself. Yes!" She punctuated her exclamation with a kiss that left no doubt as to how she felt about the proposal.

After several heart-stopping moments, Kate managed to breathe, "As much as I'm enjoying myself, and believe me I am, perhaps we should take this somewhere more private, love."

Jay, who had lost any sense of time or place, looked around her sheepishly. "Yeah, maybe that would be a good idea, Stretch." She got up, dusted herself off, and helped her lover to her feet.

"Aren't you going to look at what's in the box?"

"Oh, my God, yes." Jay had forgotten all about the small item she still clutched in her grasp. She opened the lid and gasped, tears leaping to her eyes and rolling down her cheeks when she blinked at the sight before her.

"May I?" Kate asked, lifting the platinum band with 2 1/2 carats worth of glittering channel set princess cut diamonds around most of its circumference from its velvet nest.

Jay nodded mutely as her lover slipped the ring onto her left ring finger. "Sweetheart, it's the most beautiful ring I've ever seen." She turned it in the sunlight, watching as the rays reflected off it, creating rainbows. "And it fits perfectly; how did you do that?"

Kate blushed. "I cheated a little and borrowed the emerald ring you wore to the LCA Show and had it sized by a jeweler friend of mine while you were squeezing the produce that Sunday in Albany when you made me go to the grocery store." She had made a quick call to her jeweler, asking him to meet her at the store with his circle full of ring sizes in hand. He had thought it an unusual request, but God knows he'd gotten stranger ones, and Kate was one of his best customers.

She had met him in the frozen foods, giving him the ring, and he had compared it for size before handing it back to her. When they got home, she had slipped the emerald ring back onto the nightstand where Jay had left it the night before. The next day, after she had dropped Jay off at the train station, Kate had met the jeweler at his store and explained exactly what she wanted. He hadn't had it in stock, or anything like it, but he had located it for her, handily enough, in St. Thomas at a store called Diamonds International with whom he had an ongoing relationship. Kate had predicted accurately that her lover would want to browse the stores on the island that was famous for its jewelry before going home, and she had picked it up yesterday when they had been window-shopping, using the excuse that she had to find a restroom and leaving Jay several blocks away in another store.

The younger woman was silent for a moment, her mind working furiously. "But Kate, the LCA Show was more than a week...ago and we had only spent one or two nights together," she looked up, shocked recognition on her face. "You had this all decided and planned out that soon?"

"Um, I knew how I felt, and I knew what I wanted, and I usually go after the things I want, Jay, especially when they mean everything to me. I didn't have any doubt what I was going to do, only the timing of it and how you would react."

"You had no need to worry there, love," she smiled adoringly up into those beloved blue eyes.

By this time they had reached the villa, and Jay fitted the key into the lock, letting them into the air-conditioned comfort. Walking deliberately over to the table in the dining area, she placed the key on it, turning back around and taking a running leap into her partner's surprised arms, wrapping her legs tightly around the muscular torso and kissing her with unbridled passion.

After the initial moment of shock, Kate returned the embrace, her hands cupping her lover's backside as she maneuvered them into the bedroom. Before they had even crossed the threshold, Jay had managed to shed her lover of her top, and she was busy licking and biting her way down to taut nipples that begged for her attention.

Kate gasped as Jay found a particularly sensitive spot, barely managing to deposit her safely on the bed before losing track of what she was doing. Within seconds she had been shorn of the remainder of her clothing, and the blonde, who had somehow managed to strip herself, as well, was in complete command, straddling her prone lover and taking her in a haze of pure lust.

As she was cresting, Kate's last conscious desire was to carry her lover along with her, and to be able to see her face as she came. She freed one arm, running her long, tapered fingers up the inside of a muscular thigh and entering Jay in one swift motion, knowing she was ready. With a cry, the two lovers came together, soaring into the atmosphere for several glorious moments as one.

*********

Two hours later they had ordered room service and were sitting at the dining room table, feeding each other a breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and home fries. "I'm really glad we decided to take the later flight, honey, even if it means we're dragging our asses tomorrow," Jay said.

"Yeah, that was good planning on our part, now we can spend a couple of hours on the beach before we head out. Speaking of which, you about ready to hit the sand and surf?"

"Mm hmm, just need a little lotion on my back and I'll be all set."

"I think that can be arranged," Kate winked at her and began massaging the sun block onto her lightly tanned back. When she had finished she placed a small kiss on one shoulder and gently shoved her lover ahead of her out the door, grabbing two beach towels on the way.

They found that they still had the beach to themselves, most of the tourists preferring the pool or the shopping on St. Thomas to the heat of the sun and the beach. They sat on their towels side by side for a while, holding hands and watching the surf roll in and out.

"Want to go in the water?" Jay asked.

"Sure, why not."

The blonde got up and moved to the water's edge, her back to the beach and a stand of nearby trees and brush. Kate ran past her into the surf up to her knees, splashing her on the way by. Reaching down, Jay splashed a little return spray in her lover's direction, which started a small water fight. The two were playing with each other, having fun like children.

Finally Kate got to within arm's reach of her companion, facing her and wrapping her arms around her, effectively pinning Jay's arms to her side and preventing her from further splashing. Just as Jay was about to protest, Kate leaned down and kissed her gently on the mouth, silencing her.

*********

At that exact moment, about one hundred feet away hidden in the brush, a man with a camouflage vest and shorts was busy taking photos of the women with a Nikon camera and a lengthy zoom lens. He couldn't see anything of the shorter woman except her blonde head, back and a tiny bit of her profile, along with a nice view of her bikini-clad backside, but he had a clear shot of the dark-haired woman, who was his main concern. He snapped off a few shots in quick succession of the two women, clearly lovers, frolicking in the surf and kissing. Oh, he was going to get paid well for this.

"This is my kind of assignment," he thought to himself, "Follow a beautiful woman to an exotic island and take pictures of her without her knowing it." He leered, "And to make it even better, it turns out she's a lezzy and I've got the snaps to prove it. Yeah, it just doesn't get any better than this, although I wish I could get a click of the blonde's face; that might make it worth even more."

He briefly entertained the notion of staying around for a few more minutes to see if he could get a better shot, but thought better of it when the tall one paused and began looking around. Creeping quietly away, he headed directly for the airport and a flight back to Miami. "Heh," he thought, "The press photo didn't do that bitch justice, she's much better looking in person and in less clothing." He laughed as he considered that the images he had just captured of her would be splashed all over country in the gossip rag by Tuesday morning.

He had been distracted with other things when the editor from the National Enquirer had called telling him he had a job for him, but his ears quickly had perked up when he heard what the assignment was. He had shown up in the man's office less than an hour later. The editor handed him a release from Time promoting the upcoming cover story on a "new breed of journalist" and naming Katherine Kyle as the subject; it was the kind of advance publicity major magazines put out all the time to increase the buzz about the next issue to hit newsstands. The magazine helpfully supplied a publicity photo of Kate and a little background about her.

The editor fixed the photographer with a meaningful stare. "Find this woman. No one knows anything about her except what they saw on CNN. Time is only interested in her professionally. I want to know the more...personal side to her." He upturned his lips in what amounted to more of a snarl than a smile. "I don't care what it costs, but I want the goods to go to print Monday and to hit the newsstands on Tuesday, got me?"

The freelance photographer agreed, getting to work right away. He was surprised at how easy it was to track his quarry to the Virgin Islands. He had merely posed as a friend looking for her, and the helpful receptionist at WCAP-TV had been only too glad to tell him that she was on vacation in St. John; she even told him that it was the first vacation the anchorwoman had taken in the five years she had been at the station. The fact that she took time off was the talk of the newsroom. He was most grateful for her help, and had hightailed it out of there and onto the next plane so that he could meet his deadline.

*********

Kate paused for a second after the first gentle kiss at the water's edge, and looked around, a troubled expression on her face.

"What's the matter?"

"I don't know, I just..." The hair on the back of her neck was standing on end. "Nah, it's silly."

"No, go ahead, what is it?"

Kate didn't want to alarm her lover. "I feel like we're being watched; it's nothing, I'm sure." And, as quickly as the sensation had come, it passed. "We better get back, though, if we're going to have time for a shower before the flight." Leaning down once again, she brushed her lips against the soft ones below her, and the two women picked up their towels and headed off down the beach arm in arm toward the resort, home, and a new life together.

Continued - Part 5

 


Return to The Bard's Corne