THE BRASS RING

PART TWENTY-TWO

By Mavis Applewater

For disclaimers, see Part One.

Thanks to my beta reader Joanne.

As always, this is for Heather.

 

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

The weasel flinched slightly when he saw CC watching him and then he ducked into the doctor’s lounge.

"Okay, Max. Let’s go have some fun," she said with a feral grin.

"He doesn’t like you." Max snorted as they made their way towards the doctor’s lounge.

"I’m just going to rattle his cage a little bit and then turn things over to you," CC explained dryly before she slammed the door open. The young doctor squeaked as he quickly pulled up the scrubs he was changing into.

"Get out of here," Dr. Fisher demanded, his face burning bright red in anger.

"Relax. Trust me, you’ve got nothing I want to look at." CC snorted indignantly as Max rolled his eyes.

"If you don’t stop harassing me, I’m going to call the police and have you thrown out," Fisher snarled in an arrogant tone.

CC and Max smiled as they pulled out their badges. "Too late." She smirked as they flashed their badges at him. She noticed that the bright red color vanished as his face turned ashen.

"You’re a cop?" He trembled.

CC looked at her badge before placing it in her pocket and glaring at the nervous young man. "Yup," she snapped as she moved closer to him. She cast an icy glare at him, taking note of the beads of sweat trickling down his forehead. "You have a problem with that?" she pushed as he took a step back, banging into his locker. "Why so nervous, Doc? Been bothering my girlfriend again?" she taunted him. She watched as his eyes glazed over and his face again turned a brilliant shade of red.

"Calloway!" Max scolded her. "Back off," he said gruffly.

CC cast one last menacing glance at Dr. Fisher before taking a step back. "Women," Max sneered in Fisher’s direction. "Must be PMS," he added with a shrug as Fisher glared at her. "Now, Dr. Fisher, we’re just here talking to some of Sandra Bernstein’s co-workers. I don’t know what’s wrong with her. Why don’t you wait outside, Calloway, so I can do my job?" Max said firmly. CC stood her ground. "Get out before I have to put you on report," Max said harshly.

CC donned a sheepish pout before shuffling out of the room. Once she had closed the door, she smiled brightly. "Oh, that was good, Max." She chuckled softly before seeking out more of Sandra’s friends. After she interviewed everyone she could find, she waited for Max. Her partner seemed to be taking forever. She’d glanced at her watch once again before she saw Max exit the lounge. He had a stony expression on his face as he nodded towards the doorway.

CC left the hospital and waited for her partner. Max looked back at the hospital as he came out, ensuring that no one was around. Since there were still people milling about, the two didn’t speak until they reached their car. "So are you going to put me on report?" CC teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"You liked that, did you?" Max smiled slightly. CC noticed that his mood remained somber despite his smile.

"I was right?" she asked gravely as she leaned against the car.

"There is something wrong with that boy," Max responded in a heavy tone. "It wasn't so much what he said. There was just something about him that made the hair on my neck stand on end."

"Tell me everything," CC said firmly.

"Well, he doesn’t like you and can’t understand why you’re harassing him and his girlfriend," Max explained. CC’s jaw dropped as her chest tightened. "Now everyone we’ve spoken to says that Sandra was the nicest friendliest person they had ever met, but this guy claims that he didn’t really know who she was."

"Hard to believe." CC grunted as she began to grind her teeth. "They were in the same class and both under Jamie’s supervision; he must have known her. On top of that, Jamie said that he used Sandra’s death as an excuse to visit her. That was an awfully long interview to have with someone who didn’t know the victim."

"Uh huh," Max grunted. "He had a lot of theories about the crime."

"That’s interesting since he didn’t know the victim," CC added with a slight sense of panic.

"Oh yeah." Max sighed. "And he asked a lot of questions about the case. He tried to seem casual about it but he was definitely fishing for information. Plus he loved talking about Dr. Jameson. Apparently they’ve been an item for some time; they just need to keep it quiet since they work together."

"He’s our boy." CC groaned as her head began to pound. "Did he have an alibi for the night of the murder?"

"He claims that he was on duty all night," Max informed her. "We need to check him out. In the meantime, perhaps Dr. Jameson should stay away from home," he suggested carefully.

"She’s staying with me," CC said flatly, trying to sound casual about the situation.

"Really?" Max said with amusement.

"Max," she growled at him.

"I didn’t say anything." He laughed as he unlocked the car. "Calloway, if it is him, you need to back off."

"Max, I can’t," she protested as she climbed into the car.

"If this weasel beat that poor girl to death, I don’t want him getting off," Max said, chastising her.

CC grimaced, knowing he was correct. She reached into her pocket and switched her cell phone back on. They’d both turned their phones off in the hospital since it was unsafe to leave them on. CC’s phone instantly began to vibrate. She checked her messages quickly. Her face turned pale as she listened to Stevie’s frantic message. "Take me home," she snapped at her partner as she dialed Jamie’s cell phone number.

"What is it?" Max inquired, not accustomed to his normally stoic partner looking so rattled.

"Just take me home," she choked out. "Come on, Jamie. Pick up," she pleaded as she listened to the ringing at the other end. "He called her," CC explained. "Fisher called Jamie earlier tonight."

"What did he say?" Max pried as he maneuvered his way through traffic.

"I have no idea but I'm going to find out," CC snarled as her heart raced. "Now just drive."

 

CC rushed into her home to find Jamie sitting on the sofa, calming reading a book. She paused for a moment, wondering when Jamie had started to wear glasses. The blonde peered up at her and gave her a curious look. CC fought back the urge to wrap the smaller woman up in her arms. Jamie looked so sweet and innocent but CC could see the worry brewing in her eyes. "Stevie called you?" Jamie sighed heavily as she placed the book down and removed her glasses. "I asked her not to." She shifted uneasily.

"Why?" CC spat out as her younger sibling descended the staircase.

"Sorry, Jamie," Stevie murmured before nodding to Max who was panting heavily from chasing after his partner.

"It's okay," Jamie addressed her grimly. "Caitlin, I was going to tell you when you got home tonight," Jamie explained. "He didn't threaten me. He just wanted to talk."

"How did he get your phone number?" CC pressed, unable to keep the frantic tone from her voice.

"I don't know," Jamie said with a tremble. "I'm going to speak to my supervisor and have him reassigned." Jamie tried to sound calm but CC wasn't swayed.

"That's it," CC snarled.

"Yes," Jamie fumed as she jumped off the sofa.

CC started moving to confront her when she felt Max's hand on her arm. "Calloway, let me conduct the interview," he said in a soft tone.

"This isn't a police matter," Jamie argued.

"Perhaps not," Max said in a calm voice. "Why don't you tell me everything that's been happening while Caitlin finds something to keep herself busy." He smirked at CC.

The tall brunette grumbled under her breath as Stevie approached her. "Come on, tough stuff. Let's go upstairs so you can wake up your niece." CC curled her lip in displeasure as she allowed her sister to lead her away. Once upstairs, CC relaxed as she held Emma tightly to her chest.

After what seemed like an eternity, CC was allowed to return downstairs. If it hadn’t been for the comfort of holding her niece, the policewoman would have thrown a major fit. Something about holding the cooing infant instantly relaxed her. After carefully placing Emma back in her crib, CC tried to roll the last vestiges of tension from her shoulders. She said goodnight to her sister and made her way back downstairs to her living room. Max looked unconcerned but CC recognized the calm demeanor that they would try to project so they wouldn’t worry someone. She knew instinctively by the way he wouldn’t meet her gaze that he was worried.

Jamie sat on the sofa absently running her fingers through her short blonde hair. The young doctor looked exhausted but seemed unaffected by the evening’s events. Of course Jamie was unaware of the suspicions that both she and Max were hiding from her. CC swallowed hard, knowing that she would need to tell Jamie soon and that the blonde was going to explode.

Jamie flashed a captivating smile up at CC that made her heart skip a beat. ‘How do you do that?’ The brunette pondered as she approached the small blonde. ‘You really are the one, aren’t you? How am I going to focus on this case and deal with what’s happening between us?’ CC smiled as Jamie stood. "Wait for me in the car, Max," CC instructed her partner. He simply nodded in response before leaving the two women alone.

Jamie took CC’s hand and began to gently caress the back of it with her thumb. CC knew that Jamie was unaware of what she was doing. At times, touching like this just happened naturally between the two of them. "I might be late tonight," CC explained softly as she stepped slightly closer to Jamie.

"I’ll be here," Jamie responded softly as she wrapped her arms around CC’s waist and nuzzled her head against CC’s chest.

CC sighed as she wrapped her arms around the smaller woman, allowing her body to absorb the heat from Jamie’s body. As CC inhaled the delicate scent of Jamie’s shampoo, she pulled her even closer. Her heart was beating in a steady comfortable rhythm. The moment wasn’t about sex or desire; it simply felt so right to hold the smaller woman. "Try to get some sleep," CC suggested before placing a kiss on the top of Jamie’s head.

"I’ll try," Jamie said softly.

"And lock up everything after I leave," CC continued as she reluctantly released her hold on the smaller woman. Jamie rolled her eyes at the comment. "And call me if anything, and I mean anything, happens." Jamie groaned with displeasure. "Humor me," CC persisted.

"Okay," Jamie agreed with a slight smile.

Then, as if the past twelve years had simply vanished, CC did something that felt completely natural. She leaned down and kissed Jamie goodnight. It was a short tender brushing of their lips and it took both women by complete surprise. They stood there for a brief moment, simply looking into one another’s eyes as they both smiled brightly. "That seemed so right," Jamie said in quiet wonderment.

"It did," CC responded in the same soft tone.

"Maybe we should do that more often?" Jamie suggested with a hint of playfulness.

"Oh yeah," CC answered enthusiastically. "I need to get going before Max thinks you kidnapped me or something."

"That could be arranged," Jamie said in a teasing tone as she ran her hands along CC’s hips in a suggestive manner. "Tell me, Officer, where do you keep your handcuffs?" Jamie’s hands started to run along the sides of CC’s body in a mock attempt to find the handcuffs.

CC’s eyes darkened with desire as she released a low tempting growl. "Wouldn’t you like to know?" she taunted the blonde. "If you’re good, maybe I’ll show you sometime."

"I’m always good," Jamie responded in a husky tone.

"Oh boy," CC choked out. "Is it getting hot in here? I really need to go," she asserted as she maneuvered herself away from Jamie.

"Coward," Jamie teased her as she was leaving.

"Brat," CC shot back before exiting the townhouse.

She knew that she was sporting a silly grin when she climbed into the car. Max simply laughed at her. "Knock it off," she said, still unable to wipe the smirk off of her face. "Tell me what she said," she stated firmly while thanking the darkness that surrounded them. The last thing she needed was for Max to see the blush that she was certain covered her features.

Max continued to laugh at her expense before reviewing just what Jamie had told him. CC’s anxiety grew as Max related the story on the way back to the station house. "So how did he get her phone number and address?" Max pondered aloud.

"Can’t be that difficult in a place like that," CC reasoned. "She’s a doctor. Her contact information must be lying around somewhere in case they need to call her in, like they did the night of the big fire. Fisher could have seen it in a Rolodex or on the computer. Hell, he could have probably just looked it up."

"If he isn’t the guy that killed that girl, I still don’t trust him as far as Dr. Jameson is concerned," Max explained with concern. "That boy is definitely living in his own world."

"That’s one way to put it," CC grumbled. "Personally I’m going on record right now and saying that he’s a big old nut job."

"Don’t worry, partner," Max offered comfortingly. "Nothing is going to happen to Dr. Jameson. We just need to be careful. You’re a little too close to this one."

"No kidding." CC grunted, feeling the earlier tension return full force.

Later, Max and CC were watching the garage videotape with bleary eyes. "That’s not Terrell," Max noted as they watched. "He must not have been on duty at that time."

"We need to find out who that is," CC commented as she wrote down the time, "since it’s close to the time our victim got off duty." They continued to watch. "We need to run the plates of the car that was parked next to Sandra’s. It was there the entire time."

"It’ll have to wait until DMV is open." Max grunted. "This is so dull. How do those guys spend eight hours a day locked in those little booths?"

Just as Max made his inquiry, something on the screen caught their interest. "My, isn’t she pretty," CC said with amusement. "If you like that ‘hi, I’m a big slut’ look. She seems to know our friend in the booth really well. Yes, she’s going into the office with him. Oh gee, why do you think she got down on her knees? You think she dropped something?" Max snorted in amusement at her commentary. She continued merrily until something else caught her eye. "Wait, play that back," se said hurriedly.

"I didn’t think you were into that kind of thing," Max taunted her as he complied with her request. "How far?"

"Right as she’s stepping into the booth," CC explained quickly. "There! Pause it!" she shouted. "There in the opposite corner," she explained as she pointed to the screen. "Do you see who I see?"

"Dr. Fisher." Max grunted in agreement. "Not a clear picture, but I’m willing to bet that it’s him. Let’s run it and see when Sandra enters the garage," he explained as he hit the play button. The screen played for a few more moments, showing different images of the garage. Once again they could only see rows and rows of empty cars. The only other activity was the guy in the booth making out with his lady friend. Suddenly the screen went blank before resuming with the same images. Only this time the worker in the booth was quite alone. "There’s our gap."

"Now we know why." CC groaned in disgust. "Our friend in the office had a date and didn’t want it on film. If he’s done this before, maybe some of the regulars know about it. Pause," she said suddenly as the camera showed Sandra’s unattended car. "The car next to hers is gone."

"Just enough time to grab her," Max commented in disgust as he once again pushed the play button.

They both knew there wouldn’t be anything to see but they had to double check. "According to the printout, Dr. Fisher punched in around the same time Sandra did the day before. And he punched out during the blackout."

"And who else?" Max pushed.

CC was about to protest when she caught the cautioning look in his eyes. "Okay, we’ll give these to the computer boys and have them print out anyone who was parked there during the same time. Then we’ll run all of their plates through the DMV," CC conceded.

"Good girl." He humored her. "It’ll have to wait until tomorrow. Let’s call it a night."

"It is tomorrow," she said.

"Too early though," Max grumbled.

"You know what sucks?" CC muttered.

"The coffee in the vending machine," Max teased.

"That too." CC smirked. "No, it’s just that even if we match all of this up with Fisher it’s still not enough for a search warrant. I’d love to see this guy’s tire iron and have the lab boys spray some lumonal in his car," CC remarked. The chemical would illuminated with a black light and reveal any traces of blood, even if someone tried to clean it up.

"It’s enough for a second interview," Max added hopefully.

"Which I can’t be present for," CC snarled.

"We’ll figure something out." Max patted her shoulder gently. "Let’s get out of here before my wife forgets what I look like."

CC was exhausted when she got home. Between the tension and the lateness of the hour, every muscle in her body ached. She padded her way into the bedroom, trying to be as quiet as she could. She wasn’t accustomed to having someone waiting for her in her bed. She smiled down at Jamie; she was curled up, clutching her pillow tightly. The heartfelt smile instantly bloomed into a full grin.

"I’m awake," a muffled voice said.

"Did I wake you?" CC asked in concern.

"No." Jamie yawned. "Come to bed," Jamie offered in a soft tone.

CC felt the tension quickly slip from her body as she replayed the sweet words in her mind. "I just need to take a shower," she explained as she bent down and placed a kiss on Jamie’s forehead. The blonde mumbled something in response as she turned over. CC stifled the laugh that built inside of her when she heard the tired squeak in Jamie’s voice.

CC quickly secured her sidearm and shed her clothing. After a long relaxing shower, she dried her long hair and dressed in a long T-shirt before returning to the bedroom. She closed the door quietly when she noticed that Jamie hadn’t moved in her absence. Gently she pulled back the covers and slid into bed. She kissed Jamie’s cheek before wrestling the pillow out of the blonde’s grasp.

After fluffing her pillow to the desired firmness, she snuggled her body down and released a cleansing breath. ‘This feels so right,’ she thought happily as she settled herself slightly closer to Jamie’s warm body. Jamie’s arms wrapped themselves around CC’s waist. Once again CC found herself grinning like an idiot as Jamie nuzzled her neck.

Warm inviting kisses brushed the skin of her oversensitive neck. She moaned before she could stop herself as Jamie’s mouth continued to suckle her neck. CC whimpered slightly as her body began to tingle with desire. "Are you awake?" CC choked out as she clutched the bedding tightly.

"Hmm," Jamie purred before running her tongue along CC’s jaw line.

Jamie’s hands slipped up under CC’s T-shirt as her mouth began a slow tantalizing trail back to her neck and then over to her ear. CC whimpered once again as Jamie began to nibble on her earlobe. "I missed you," Jamie whispered hotly in her ear.

"Oh baby," CC groaned as her hands moved to Jamie’s back.

Jamie shifted her body and lay on top of CC. The brunette looked up to find Jamie’s emerald eyes twinkling with delight as she ran her fingers along CC’s full lips. The temptation was too great. CC’s tongue peeked out of her mouth and began to caress Jamie’s fingertips. She could feel Jamie’s breath growing ragged as she captured one of the digits in her mouth. "You’re driving me crazy," Jamie panted.

"Good." CC smirked as she recaptured Jamie’s hand. She began to feast delightfully on each one of Jamie’s digits as the blonde straddled her body. She could feel Jamie pressing her center against her firm abdomen. CC slipped her free hand down Jamie’s body and under the waistband of her sweatpants. Jamie’s hips ground faster as CC cupped her backside. As CC tortured Jamie’s fingers with her tongue, her hand massaged the firm naked flesh of her cheek.

Jamie’s hands slid up past CC’s rib cage until she was cupping the brunette’s full breasts. "Caitlin," Jamie pleaded as she began to roll CC’s nipples between her fingers. CC’s body arched as the pleasure of Jamie’s touch set her body on fire. She released Jamie’s digits from her mouth and cupped Jamie’s other cheek, pulling her lover closer as the blonde rocked against her.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, CC knew that she should stop what was happening between them. Her heart and body took control and banished the thoughts. ‘I need this.’ Her body screamed its need as Jamie pulled her T-shirt up. CC raised her arms, allowing the blonde to remove the garment. Jamie tossed CC’s shirt across the room before lowering her mouth.

CC released a strangled cry as Jamie kissed the valley between her breasts. She kissed and tasted her way across CC’s chest as she nudged the brunette’s legs apart with her knees. CC lay there completely naked as her passion flowed freely. Jamie captured one of CC’s aching nipples in her mouth and suckled it greedily while she pulled the other nipple with her fingers.

Jamie teased CC’s erect nipple with her teeth and her tongue as CC wrapped her long legs around Jamie’s body. CC began tugging at Jamie’s clothing as their hips swayed in unison. CC released a hiss as Jamie continued to nibble and suckle her nipple. Jamie’s T-shirt ripped as CC clawed at the material. Jamie raised her head; even in the darkness CC could see her flushed features.

Jamie lifted her body further up and, as her hips maintained a steady rhythm, she pulled her shirt from CC’s tightly held grasp and yanked it off her body. CC’s hands immediately reached out to capture Jamie’s full breasts as they swayed above her in a tantalizing manner.

The doctor brushed away her advances and lowered her mouth to CC’s other breast. She lavished the nipple with the same delightful attention she had given its twin. CC was squirming as she pulled on Jamie’s sweatpants. She needed to feel her lover pressed against her, to have their overflowing desire merge until they collapsed. She used her long arms and legs to pull the pants down Jamie’s body as the blonde feasted upon her breast.

Jamie pulled away from her. CC reached for her lover only to have Jamie gently lower her back onto the mattress. Jamie pulled the blankets down and then removed the last of her clothing. CC raised herself so she could watch her lover as she settled her body between CC’s quivering thighs.

Jamie cupped her backside and raised CC’s body to her mouth. The brunette draped her legs over the blonde’s shoulders. Jamie began to slowly lick the inside of CC’s thighs. "So wet," Jamie murmured against her skin as CC ran her fingers through Jamie’s short blonde hair.

A warm breath blew through her damp curls and she trembled in response. Jamie’s tongue slid slowly along her slick folds as she looked up at CC. Jamie’s tongue circled her now throbbing clit, slowly teasing the brunette with each flicker. Jamie parted CC’s swollen lips with two fingers as she sucked her clit into the warmth of her mouth.

CC’s heart raced as her lover moaned in pleasure. CC raised her body higher, offering herself to the small blonde. Jamie drank in her wetness greedily as she held CC’s thrusting body steady. CC cried out when her lover pressed her fingers against her opening. "Yes," she begged. "Please, Jamie."

Jamie entered her slowly as she continued to suckle her clit. CC’s head fell back and her eyes fluttered shut as Jamie’s fingers wiggled inside of her. She fought to control her breathing as she listened to Jamie murmuring in pleasure. Her body was on fire as she gave herself over to Jamie’s touch. She wanted this moment to never end but her body trembled uncontrollably; she wouldn’t be able to hold on much longer.

With one hand CC clutched the headboard; the other was firmly locked on the back of Jamie’s head. A sheen of sweat covered her body as the bed banged against the wall. Jamie’s hand and mouth worked in unison, driving CC closer to the edge as she called out the blonde’s name over and over again. Jamie’s teeth grazed her clit and she screamed out. Her body arched, lifting Jamie along with her as her mind went blank and the climax rushed through her.

Jamie held onto her as her nimble fingers continued to fill her. CC screamed again, unaware of disturbing noises outside. Her body rocked as Jamie encouraged the waves of ecstasy to continue. "Please," CC panted as she tried to pull her body away from her eager lover.

Jamie’s mouth finally left her wetness and the blonde rested her head on CC’s trembling stomach. The last vestiges of passion filtered through CC’s body while Jamie’s fingers remained inside of her. "You feel so good," Jamie murmured before kissing her stomach. CC whimpered as she felt Jamie’s touch withdraw from the warmth of her center.

"You’re trying to kill me." CC grunted as Jamie climbed up her body.

Jamie laughed lightly at the comment as she draped her naked body over CC’s still quivering form. Jamie claimed her lips in a tender kiss as her thigh slipped between CC’s legs. The brunette swooned, tasting her own desire on her lover’s lips. As the kiss deepened, their bodies began to rock in a sensual rhythm. Jamie seemed to melt into CC as they wrapped themselves around each other.

CC clung to her lover as she felt Jamie’s wet desire paint her thigh. She knew her lover could feel her wetness covering her thigh as well as their bodies fused together. Their hips began to grind wildly as Jamie moaned hotly into CC’s ear. They continued to thrust against each other until their bodies arched against each other and screams of pleasure filled the room. They collapsed together and wrapped themselves up in the other’s embrace. Laying in the darkness, CC simply enjoyed the feel of Jamie’s body draped across her own.

The sound of breaking glass and a car speeding off disrupted their bliss. Both women sat up quickly, startled by the noise. "Stay here," CC instructed Jamie firmly as she climbed out of bed. She scrambled quickly to grab a pair of sweats and a shirt out of her bureau. Jamie started to dress as well. "Jamie, CC cautioned the blonde as she grabbed the lockbox her gun was in and began to spin the dial, fighting with the darkness to enter the correct combination. As she retrieved and checked her sidearm, two cell phones began to ring persistently.

Both women scrambled to find their cell phones. "It’s me," they said in unison. CC listened intently to the dispatcher at the other end as she caught snippets of Jamie’s conversation. "Did they see anyone?" CC asked in an urgent tone. "Damn," she grumbled. "I’ll meet them out front." She disconnected the call and dialed Max’s home number quickly. As she waited for Max to pick up, she heard Jamie say ‘fudge nut brownies’. CC looked at the blonde with interest.

"The alarm company,. Jamie explained as she disconnected the call. "That’s my code."

"Still have a sweet tooth," CC said with a smirk. "Max, there’s been a break-in at Jamie’s place. I’m going in with the unit."

"I’m on my way," her partner offered in a hurried tone.

"No." CC cut him off. "I’ll fill you in tomorrow."

CC argued with Max for a short while longer as she wandered out into the living room. She found her sister standing there, clutching her daughter tightly. As she ended the call, she noticed Jamie trailing very closely behind her. "Something’s happened at Jamie’s place," CC explained. "Fortunately I’ve had a unit keeping an eye on things. Jamie, you stay here with Stevie," CC stated firmly.

"No way," Jamie argued.

"This is not open for debate," CC said in a calm voice. "Call the alarm company and let them know that the police are already here. Stay away from the window. I don’t want anyone to know that you’re staying here."

"But . . . ,"Jamie started to protest.

"No buts," CC said emphatically as she looked for her shoulder holster, her badge, and a jacket.

"Be careful," Jamie said softly.

"Always," CC reassured her.

The brunette was met by two squad cars; the four officers were already in full swing. She held up her badge. "Nice neighborhood you got here, Calloway," Roger Spenser said teasingly. CC looked at Jamie’s townhouse to see the picture window had been smashed. CC’s chest tightened as she looked at the broken mess.

"I’ll get the keys from the owner," she muttered, trying to keep her emotions at bay.

"We’ve already talked to a few of the neighbors," Spenser continued. "They heard loud banging and someone shouting and then breaking glass. When the neighbors’ lights started to go on, it must have scared him off. No one saw the car. We made a pass through here about fifteen minutes before it happened."

"Check the bushes and the trees over there," CC instructed the uniformed police officer. "Our guy might be lurking to see if the owner returns. She’s at my place; we can slip in through the back."

"The owner is a friend of yours, right?" Spenser inquired.

"Yes," CC confirmed quietly. "We can go and talk to her after you guys do a sweep."

CC waited patiently as the officers checked every corner of the surrounding area. Then she escorted Spenser into her home. She found Jamie and Stevie sitting on the sofa, both looking very nervous. "Jamie, this is Officer Spenser. Spenser, this is Dr. Jameson and my sister Stevie."

"And I know who this is." Spenser beamed as he knelt down to tickle Emma. "This is little Emma," he cooed. "You know, your auntie drives us all crazy with your pictures."

"Do not," CC growled as Spenser chuckled. "Jamie, your front window was smashed. The neighbors heard someone banging on the door just before it happened. No one saw who did it."

"I can’t believe this is happening," Jamie responded in a dejected tone.

"None of you heard anything?" Spenser inquired in a curious tone.

"I was upstairs when I heard the banging. The first thing I did was check on my daughter," Stevie explained.

"What about the two of you?" Spenser continued in confusion.

"I was busy," CC said quickly as she blushed deeply.

"Asleep," Jamie uttered as she blushed as well.

"Jamie, we’ll need your keys," CC said in a rushed tone before Spenser could make any further inquiries. "We’re going in through the back."

"They’re in the bedroom," Jamie explained.

"Busy?" Stevie whispered in CC’s ear.

"Shut up," CC growled.

"I’m going with you," Jamie said as she headed towards the bedroom.

"No." CC and Spenser responded quickly. "Jamie, no arguments. Why don’t you and Stevie put on a pot of coffee? I’m sure the boys could use a fresh cup before they leave," CC said.

Emerald eyes glared at her before Jamie spun on her heel and headed into the bedroom. CC sighed and followed the irate woman. She grabbed her shoes as Jamie looked for her keys. "This one," Jamie explained as she handed the large set of keys over. Jamie cupped CC’s face gently. The brunette leaned into the touch. "Be careful," Jamie repeated before placing a tender kiss on CC’s lips.

CC nodded in response before putting her shoes on. "Why does this always happen?" Jamie said with a heavy sigh.

"What’s that?" CC asked as she tied her shoes.

"Every time we make love, some sort of catastrophe happens," Jamie explained in a wry tone. CC chuckled lightly. "I guess we’ll just need to keep trying," Jamie said with a smirk.

"Oh yeah," CC responded in a throaty tone.

 

TBC

send comments tomailto:yomavis@email.com (I will not read any emails without a proper subject heading.)

For updates, previews and The Wednesday Afternoon Series join my egroup, yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com


Return to The Bard's Corner