THE BRASS RING
PART TWENTY-THREE
By Mavis Applewater
April 2002

Disclaimers: You know the standard legal mumbo jumbo and my attempts at being witty. See Part One.

A big thank you to the best beta reader on the planet Joanne only the beta readers that have fallen before her know how this poor gal suffers.

As always, this is for Heather.
 

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Jamie snuggled closer to the warm body that was lying beneath her. She slowly opened her emerald eyes and smiled at the sight of CC's slumbering form. Her fingers began to gently trace the policewoman's chiseled features. She released a happy sigh. Despite the turmoil of the past few days, waking up in CC's arms seemed to make everything all right. "We really do belong together," she uttered softly so as not to awaken her companion. Of course, she still had to replace her living room window and then go back to work to face Dr. Fisher. "Doesn't matter." She shrugged happily as she continued to gently caress CC's face.

"What doesn't matter?" CC grumbled from beneath Jamie as a pair of crystal-blue eyes fluttered open. Jamie smiled as CC wrapped her arms tightly around her waist. "What's going on in that pretty blonde head of yours?" CC whispered softly in her ear, sending tantalizing shivers down her spine.

"Nothing. I'm just happy," Jamie murmured against CC's skin. Feeling her lover tremble beneath her, she couldn't resist placing a soft tender kiss on her neck. One kiss led to another as she felt her lover's pulse beat rapidly against her lips. CC moaned as Jamie began to suckle her neck.

The soft pleading whimpers CC was releasing fueled Jamie's desire and she pressed her body down onto the brunette's welcoming form. Jamie's lips began a slow torturous descent down CC's body while her hands ran up under the brunette's T-shirt. "James," CC moaned deeply as the blonde cupped the swell of the brunette's firm full breasts. "We don't have time for this," CC protested in a halfhearted tone.

Jamie snickered, not believing for a moment her lover wanted her to stop. She ran her hands back down CC's rib cage and grasped the hem of her T-shirt. Jamie slipped down CC's long form, leaving a trail of kisses in her wake as her hands raised the brunette's shirt. As she dipped her tongue into CC's navel she could hear a telephone ringing in the distance.

Jamie raised her head with a grimace and took in CC's amused gaze. "What do you think the chances are that the phone is for Stevie?" she inquired meekly as she sat up, removing her hands from CC's tantalizing body. CC laughed as she pulled down her shirt. "Good morning," Jamie said softly before brushing her lips across CC's.

"Good morning," CC responded with a soft kiss of her own.

The warmth of CC's lips tempted Jamie to resume her exploration of the brunette's body. The knocking on the bedroom door forced a scowl to bloom on her normally cherubic features. "It's us, isn't it?" Jamie groaned as she slipped off CC's body.

"Caitlin?" Stevie called from the other side of the door.

"Yeah, Stevie?" CC said with a slight chuckle.

"Phone call," CC's younger sibling offered apologetically.

"I'll be right there," CC responded. "Sorry, James." She sighed.

"I'll just go home and take a shower," Jamie said with a smile, knowing that CC was just as frustrated as she was. "We need to go car shopping and I need to call someone about my window. Who do you call about a thing like that?"

"God, it's Saturday already." CC groaned as she stretched out her back. "Where did this week go?"

"It hasn't been dull; I'll give you that." Jamie laughed. "Speaking of which, how bad does my place look?"

"It's just the window," CC explained as they made their way into the living room. "CSU cleaned away all the glass. We don't know what he broke the window with," she added thoughtfully before picking up the telephone. "Calloway."

Jamie wanted to pursue the conversation but, since CC was on the telephone, she turned her attention towards little Emma. She bounced the infant on her lap, watching the pensive expression on CC's face as she spoke on the telephone.

"So what are your plans today?" Stevie asked as she brought a cup of coffee over to Jamie.

"Thanks," Jamie responded as she placed the cup down, away from Emma's inquisitive grasp. "I'm taking CC car shopping."

"Thank you," Stevie said enthusiastically.

"Are you still friendly with that contractor?" Jamie asked as Emma tugged on her hair, ear, nose, and any other body part she could reach.

"Why?" Stevie inquired suspiciously.

"I need to replace my bay window and I honestly don't know who to call," Jamie explained quickly.

"I'll give her a call," Stevie offered with a slight smirk.

"Thanks," Jamie replied as she tickled Emma. "I have to go to work early tonight." She crinkled her nose at the thought of having to meet with her supervisor. "I need to talk to the attending about my not-so-secret admirer."

"That guy is creepy," Stevie added in an ominous tone.

"Hmm," Jamie responded in a distracted tone as she watched CC out of the corner of her eye. The policewoman's one-word answers and fidgety mannerisms were putting Jamie on edge. "Who is she talking to?" she asked, trying to sound casual.

"Not sure," Stevie responded with a shrug. Jamie knew instantly that Stevie was lying.

Jamie handed Emma over to Stevie as CC was hanging up the telephone. "I'll bring this back," Jamie explained as she picked up her coffee mug. "Everything all right?" she asked CC as she sipped her coffee.

"Uhm . . . yeah," CC replied as she chewed on her lip nervously. "I forgot I had dinner plans with a friend tonight."

"Friend?" Jamie inquired cautiously.

"Co-worker," CC added. "I was hoping to spend time with you tonight."

"No problem. I have to work. Now I need to get cleaned up so I can take you out to look at some cars," Jamie reassured her, fighting the uneasy feeling building up in her stomach. "I'll be back in a few," she offered before placing a gentle kiss on CC's lips. The brilliant smile the brunette flashed her instantly calmed her fears.

Later that day as they strolled around the dealership, CC looked like a kid in a candy store - a really big kid in a really expensive candy store. "What do you think?" CC asked eagerly as she rocked on the heels of her feet.

"Well . . . ," Jamie replied, trying not to smirk at CC's enthusiasm, " . . . it's in your price range and you liked the test drive. You would feel comfortable driving with Emma in it . . . I say you should buy it, CC."

"Yeah?" CC practically gushed.

"Caitlin, just talk to the salesman." Jamie pushed her towards the impatient-looking gentleman who had been assisting them.

"Let's wrap this up, Sparky," CC called out to the man. He led them into the showroom and CC began to fill out the necessary paperwork. "Damn they ask a lot of questions."

"You're buying a car. There are things they need to know," Jamie said reassuringly.

"Miss Calloway, let me just run your Social Security Number for the credit check." The salesman, Gary, smiled brightly.

"Detective," Jamie corrected him.

"You're a policewoman?" He perked up even more.

"Homicide," CC mumbled as she poured over the endless forms.

"Oh?" he choked out. Jamie sensed that CC was about to get a very reasonable deal on her new vehicle.

They discussed the price and Jamie jumped in, haggling for the very confused CC. She knew that her friend had never bought a brand new car; in fact, this was probably the first major purchase CC had ever made. They finally agreed and Gary ran CC's credit check. "Oh no." He sighed heavily.

"What?" CC snarled. "I have good credit."

"What there is of it," Gary said. "Other than a couple of credit cards, there really isn't much here."

"I live within my means." CC shrugged.

"But you've never financed anything before?" he asked.

"So?" CC responded with an icy glare.

"Caitlin, a lack of credit history can be worse than a bad credit history," Jamie explained. "What if she had a co-signer?" she asked Gary.

"That would work," Gary responded eagerly.

"Wait a second," CC protested as Jamie held out her hand for the forms that Gary was sliding across to her.

"Caitlin, you like the Forester and you need a reliable car," Jamie said quickly as she filled in the appropriate information. "Here," she said triumphantly as she handed the paperwork back to Gary.

"Okay, let's take a look at this, Miss . . . sorry, I mean Doctor, Jameson." The man was practically drooling when he read the information. "Any problems with student loans?"

"None, I've paid them off," Jamie explained. "I had a lot of scholarships so I didn't need that many."

Gary quickly punched the information into the computer. The way the man's eyes were lighting up Jamie knew that CC wasn't going to have any problems. "I don't like this," CC grumbled beside her as Gary gathered up the paperwork.

"I'm just going over to the finance guy," Gary explained. "I'll to see if he'll okay it without your . . . ," he said, hesitating for a moment. Jamie was familiar with the blank stare. " . . . friend," Gary tossed in quickly.

"James . . . ," CC began hesitantly after Gary left.

"Caitlin, let me do this," Jamie cut her off. "I don't want to be worrying if you're going to be safe at night."

"You worry about me?" CC asked in a playful tone.

"Yes, you big Goober." Jamie groaned as she rolled her eyes. "The other night it was really strange; I could feel your vest under your clothes and it made me feel good."

"They're mandatory now," CC explained flatly.

"I wish they had been twelve years ago," Jamie grumbled bitterly. "Tell me about this friend you're going out with tonight."

"Huh?" CC stammered as her azure eyes widened in surprise.

"I see," Jamie sneered slightly as she began to grind her teeth.

"What?" CC said in a defensive tone.

"Old flame?" Jamie asked directly.

"No. . . uhm . . . no . . . well, not really," CC babbled on.

"Uh huh," Jamie grunted as she continued to grind her teeth.
 

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

CC played with her food, not really listening to Marissa. She just wanted to get out of the restaurant and call the station to find out if the DMV computers were finally working. She needed to know who's car was in the hospital garage that night. She wanted to kick the acting Governor's behind for the recent cutbacks that were stalling her accessing the information instantly. She had wanted to cancel the dinner with Marissa for many reasons. One, Marissa did not seem deterred by CC's lack of interest. Two, she was with Jamie and wanted to go check on her to see how she was. The list went on and on.

"You're not even listening to me, are you?" the perturbed medical examiner growled in frustration.

"Sorry, Marissa," CC apologized. "It's just this case," she explained, giving half the truth.

"Want to talk about it?" Marissa offered in a sincere tone.

"I think I know who the guy is," CC grumbled in a defeated tone.

"That's great." Marissa beamed. "Personally, I'll sleep easier once he's off the streets."

"So will I," CC confessed earnestly. "Too bad you can't get a search warrant just because someone gives you the creeps."

"Amen to that." Marissa lifted her glass of wine and toasted the idea. "It would certainly make my job a little easier. Then again, there's that whole infringing on human rights thing." Marissa groaned.

"I know, the rules are there for a very good reason," CC concurred. "Sometimes it's just so damn frustrating. "

"You'll put the case together," Marissa reassured her. "You're very good at what you do."

"Except I have to back off on this one," CC explained in a distant tone.

"Why?" Marissa asked in confusion.

"The guy works with someone that I'm close to," CC explained, not ready to go into the entire drama.

"Stevie? Doesn't she still run her own business out of the house?" Marissa persisted.

"It's not Stevie," CC hedged. "It's someone else."

"If it's just a friend then there shouldn't be a problem," Marissa continued, pushing the issue.

"Well . . ." CC winced as she tried to think of just how she was going to explain this one.

"Calloway, just a few days ago I asked you if you were seeing someone," Marissa said firmly. "You said no. Were you lying to me?"

CC took a sip of her drink and brushed her dark bangs back. "Not really," CC said slowly. "There is someone . . ."

"Why didn't you just say so?" Marissa laughed lightly. "If you're out with me tonight, it can't be all that serious."

CC was miffed by Marissa's words. "This is just dinner," CC pointed out. The cool confident smile Marissa flashed in response made CC even more agitated. "Marissa, I'm serious." In her heart CC knew that she was referring to more than their dinner engagement.

"I believe you," Marissa responded in a slightly condescending tone. "I also know that you've never been a U-Haul girl."

"Once," CC corrected her as her mind drifted to a certain blonde doctor. "I was once. Funny thing is, it's the same girl." CC had hoped that by being honest, Marissa would finally get the hint.

"So you're dating an old flame?" Marissa answered nonchalantly, seemingly unfazed by what CC had just told her. "After dinner do you want to catch the drag show over at Vapor?"

"No," CC declined, fighting to maintain a polite tone.

An hour later Marissa was pulling her Jeep into the parking lot for CC's house. Somehow CC had managed to finish her meal and maintain a polite level of conversation. Marissa was nice enough but she just didn't seem to understand that CC wasn't interested in renewing anything. The policewoman did end up agreeing to going for a cup of coffee after dinner. Somehow she managed to divert Marissa's flirtations and now she was home.

She just wanted to get out of the car, down a bottle of aspirin, and go to sleep. "Thanks for dinner," CC said as she reached for the door handle, hoping to make a quick escape. She never expected Marissa to do what she did next. 'What the hell?' CC's mind screamed as she pried herself away from the intense lip lock Marissa held her in. "Marissa!" CC snapped as she pulled away.

Marissa's brown eyes stared at her in confusion. CC was just about to read the medical examiner the riot act when she felt the hair on the back of her neck rise. She knew Jamie was watching them before she turned to find a pair of angry emerald eyes glaring at her. "No," she gasped as she once again reached for the door handle.

"Jamie, wait!" CC called out as she scrambled out of the Jeep and ran after the furious blonde. "It's not what you think," CC explained as Jamie fumbled with the keys to her car. She reached the fuming doctor as she struggled to open her car door. "Jamie, let me explain," CC pleaded to Jamie's back. She could see the blonde's small hands shaking as she continued to fumble with her keys.

"I can't talk to you right now," Jamie choked out, keeping her back to CC.

"Jamie?" CC pleaded as she touched the trembling woman before her.

Jamie shrugged away from her touch; the bitterness in her action ripped a hole in CC's already fragile heart. Jamie turned to her, tears streaming down her beautiful face. "I have to go to work," Jamie choked out as she turned away once again.

"Please," CC begged fearfully. "It's always been you," CC said urgently as Jamie opened the door to her car. "I never stopped loving . . ."

"Don't!" Jamie snapped as she climbed into her car. "I can't do this right now."

CC's heart broke as she watched her lover wipe her tear-stained cheeks. CC opened her mouth to speak. She needed to explain everything before their lives once again spun out of control. "Not now," Jamie said stiffly, cutting off her attempt to speak. CC was frozen in horror as Jamie closed the door to her car. She watched helplessly as the love of her life started the car and drove off.

"What the hell was that all about?" Marissa demanded angrily from behind her. CC spun around and glared at the woman.

"That was the woman I love," CC spat out.

"What?" Marissa trembled in response. "I . . . I . . . didn't know."

"Maybe if you had listened to me just once tonight, you wouldn't have done something so asinine," CC fumed, the veins in her neck bulging as she spoke.

"Do you want me to explain things to her?" Marissa offered remorsefully.

"No," CC flared. "Stay away from her. Just go."

Marissa looked like a frightened rabbit before she made a mad dash to her car. CC stormed into her home and found Stevie standing there with a bewildered lookon her face. "What the hell happened this time?" Stevie demanded.

"I swear I just thanked her for dinner, and the next thing I know, Marissa was trying to floss my teeth with her tongue," CC explained in exasperation.

"I hope you told her where to get off," Stevie snarled.

"I was about to when I saw Jamie standing there watching us," CC added as she flopped down onto the sofa.

"Oh no," Stevie groaned in sympathy.

"What am I going to do?" CC choked out, fighting against the tears threatening to spill.

Stevie just sat there in a stunned silence. "Why didn't Jamie let me explain?" CC suddenly asked, anger now overriding her sadness. "If she'd just waited and listened to me . . ."

"Hold on, Caitlin," Stevie said, cutting her off. "Give James a break on this one. She just caught you playing tonsil hockey with another woman."

"But I wasn't!" CC protested.

"I know that and you know that, but James only knows what she saw," Stevie explained in a soft comforting voice. "Come on, you're a cop. If you saw Jamie in the same situation, what would you think was going on?"

CC grumbled, knowing that her sister was right. She had to fix this and she had to fix it now. "What did Jamie say?" Stevie inquired carefully.

"Not much," CC said, the image of Jamie's face playing over in her mind. "She said she couldn't talk to me right now."

"That's good," Stevie said brightly.

"How is that good?" CC snapped.

"She didn't tell you to take a hike," Stevie offered as she placed a comforting hand on her older sibling's shoulder. "She's hurt but she still left the door open. She just can't handle talking to you right now."

"I need to talk to her," CC reasoned.

"She's at work; wait until she gets home," Stevie said in an effort to placate her sister.

"If she comes home," CC mumbled, realizing that in the past Jamie often sought comfort in the arms of another woman. CC felt the anger rise once again, only this time she wasn't certain whom she should be angry with. There was Marissa for acting like a total jackass. There was Jamie for not listening to her and jumping to conclusions. And there was, of course, herself for going out with Marissa in the first place.

"I need to see her," she said firmly as old demons fueled her fears. 'If Jamie hops into bed with another woman I don't think I can forgive or forget this time,' her heart and her mind screamed. "Not this time," she hissed as her jaw locked firmly.

"What?" Stevie questioned.

"I have to see her," CC said in a strained voice. "I know her. I finally understand her and I can't let her think that I betrayed her. Because if she does, then she'll do something stupid."

"Such as?" Stevie asked in a fearful tone.

"Sleeping with someone who doesn't mean anything to her," CC explained dryly. "I won't go through that again."

"Good for you," Stevie responded with bravado. "But I don't think that's going to happen this time. Jamie is a bright woman and I think with everything that's happened in the past she'll listen to you once she calms down. But if she doesn't then you need to walk away."

"I know," CC admitted in a defeated tone. "No matter how much I love the girl, I can't start a relationship with someone who's going to run every time we have a problem."

"You kissed someone else!" Stevie blurted out.

CC glared at her sister who held up her hands in defense. "That's what she saw," Stevie explained quickly. "If it was me, I'd be pretty ticked off."

"So what am I supposed to do?" CC tried to think of just how she was going to get Jamie to listen to her.

"Give it a couple of hours so both of you can calm down," Stevie explained softly. "Then go see her. She's at work. It's not like she'll be trolling the Emergency Room looking for a date."

"Fine," CC sighed in agreement. "Lend me your car. I'm not picking up my new one until Monday."

"No problem," Stevie said with relief. "Oh, and get her some flowers or something."

"Flowers?" CC said in bewilderment. "Where am I suppose to get flowers at this hour of the night?"

"Bring her something as a peace offering," Stevie said firmly.

"Somehow I don't think that Hallmark makes a card for this one." CC smiled slightly. " 'Sorry you saw me sucking face with another woman, but it isn't what you think.' "

"I don't know; they might," Stevie responded with a light chuckle.

CC glanced at her watch while her mind tried to make sense of the last half hour of her life. Stevie was right. She needed to find something to break the ice with Jamie. She only hoped that whatever she came up with wouldn't be tossed back in her face.
 

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Jamie was in a foul mood by the time she reached the hospital. She went straight to her locker and changed for her shift. Then she went to the ladies' room and checked her appearance. Just as she'd suspected, she looked like hell. Her eyes were puffy and red. "No wonder everyone stopped me to ask if I was all right," she grumbled as she washed her face. Once she looked slightly more human, she made her way to her director's office. She had asked him to stay late so she could talk to him. As she approached his office, she tried to get her mind to focus on her duties and not the sight of CC wrapped up in another woman's arms.

She just didn't understand it. Why would CC do something like that? "She wouldn't," she muttered to herself. Still the image was burned into her brain. "But she did," Jamie said heavily before knocking on Dr. Templeton's door. She took a calming breath as she heard his voice telling her to enter. "Jack," she greeted him, forcing her voice to take on a friendly tone.

"Are you all right?" the older man asked in concern as she took a seat in front of his desk.

"Fine," she lied. "Long day."

"Okay," he said as he sat behind his desk. Jamie knew by the older man's kindly tone that he didn't believe her. "So what's wrong?"

"Huh?" she stammered, not expecting the question.

"Something must be wrong for you to set up this meeting," he explained in a friendly tone. "Unless it's just my charming personality or boyish good looks."

Jamie laughed at the older man who was almost bald except for the white hair cropped closely to his ears. "Could be," she teased. "Actually I'm having a problem with one of my kids."

"Not doing their work load?" he inquired.

"No, it's more personal," Jamie began slowly, hoping that she was doing the right thing. "Simon Fisher has . . . well, at first I thought it was just a crush . . . but now it's become a problem."

Her boss shifted uncomfortably in his chair and furrowed his brow. "Tell me everything, "hHe said in a commanding tone as he took out a pad of paper and a pen. Jamie was suddenly uncomfortable and her chest tightened. "Jamie?" Jack offered in a comforting tone.

"It started a few weeks ago," Jamie said slowly. "He asked me to join him for a drink. I declined, explaining that it was unprofessional. He persisted but there was nothing about his persistence that bothered me at the time. I explained that I'm seeing someone when I realized that his interest went beyond friendship. As time went on, he continued to invite me out for social meetings. I declined each time. I tried handling the situation in a friendly manner; I tried handling it in a direct manner; nothing seemed to work. I thought I could handle it myself; it didn't seem very serious. That is, until he showed up at my home late one evening."

"He what?" Jack blurted out. "Sorry," he said, quickly regaining his composure. "Did you give him the address or invite him over?"

"No," Jamie stated, trying to maintain her calm professional manner. She knew that Jack had to ask but the question infuriated her just the same. "I told him to go away and he wasn't to invade my privacy ever again. The other night he called me on my cell phone and, no, I never gave him the number. It was the last thing I would have expected of him. My companion arrived when he was at my door and they got into an argument."

"That must have surprised him." Jack chuckled.

"Unfortunately, she's a cop," Jamie explained carefully as Jack winced.

"Let me guess. The police are looking into this now." Jack sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry, Jack." Jamie apologized, knowing that the police looking into the activities of one of their residents was not going to look good.

"Don't apologize, Jamie," Jack said in a fatherly tone. "You've explained that you are not interested in a social relationship and he's met your partner. That alone should have given him a clue that he isn't your type."

"There's more," Jamie added shyly. "Last night someone broke my living room window while I was out. The police don't know who it was, but given Simon's past actions it doesn't look good."

Jack rubbed his brow in a weary motion. "I should suspend the bugger, but I'm afraid it will set him off," Jack said in a tired voice. "As of this moment he's reassigned to Warner and I'll have him moved to the dayshift. It's not fair to those who have earned that spot but I don't want him near you. Is he on the schedule for tonight?"

"Yes," Jamie responded.

"The moment he walks in the door send him to me. I'll wait and have a chat with him," Jack explained. "I'm afraid you'll be a little shorthanded tonight."

"Maybe he'll finally get the message," Jamie muttered with some sense of relief. "Thank you, Jack," she said as she stood.

Later she saw the pesky Dr. Fisher storm out of Jack's office. By the way he blew past her in a huff, she knew he wasn't happy about his reassignment. "Most people would be thrilled with being moved to days," she muttered nervously. Jamie went about her duties and tried to ignore the uneasy feeling she had regarding Dr. Fisher. She was also trying to block out the nagging questions that were haunting her about what she had seen in the parking lot at home.

"Okay, Mrs. Henderson, let me see if I can explain this one more time," Jamie began wearily as she tried to get across to the seemingly intelligent patient that suppositories weren't suppose to be taken orally. The woman was very upset when the prescribed medication failed to work. Jamie almost fell over when she realized that the woman was placing them in the wrong orifice.

"Dr. Jameson?" Stella said cautiously as she stuck her head in the exam room. "You have a visitor."

Jamie's stomach clenched slightly at Stella's news. She feared that it was Dr. Fisher coming back to bother her. "I'll be right out," Jamie responded in a tense voice. Then a sudden thought brightened her dreary mind. "Would you mind helping Mrs. Henderson?" she asked as she blinked brightly at the nurse who was now giving her a murderous gaze. 'Please,' she mouthed in desperation.

"I'd be happy to," Stella responded sarcastically.

Jamie raced quickly towards Stella, shoving Mrs. Henderson's chart into her hands. She was tempted to do a happy dance as she fled the room, leaving Stella alone to deal with the confused woman. "Sweet freedom." She sighed happily. Then she braced herself for whoever her mysterious visitor might be. Slowly she walked towards the nurse's station.

Her heart skipped a beat when she spotted the familiar leggy brunette chatting with the staff. She smiled before she remembered that she was very angry with this woman. Jamie's green eyes narrowed as she approached CC. "Caitlin," she greeted her coldly.

"Can we go somewhere and talk?" CC inquired nervously.

Jamie curled her lips and pondered her options for a moment. "Fine," she finally agreed, knowing there must be some reasonable explanation for her actions if CC traveled all the way down there in the middle of the night. She was praying that she wasn't simply fooling herself.

She motioned for CC to follow her as she stepped outside into the cool night air. She turned back to find CC shuffling nervously in place, a small white paper bag held tightly against her chest. Jamie eyed her suspiciously. Suddenly the sight of the tall policewoman standing there, afraid to speak, struck her as humorous.

"Here," CC finally blurted out as she shoved the paper bag into Jamie's hands.

Jamie accepted the ice-cold package in confusion. Carefully she peeked inside. She smiled as she extracted a cold pint of ice cream. "Ben and Jerry's Vanilla Carmel Fudge," she said excitedly. "Is this a bribe?" she added quickly as she found a pair of brilliant blue eyes pleading with her.

"Yes," CC stammered. "Well, not a bribe really. More like a peace offering in hopes that you'll listen to what I have to tell you."

"This better be good," Jamie warned her. "Because catching you in a lip lock with another woman is going to take a lot more than my favorite flavor of ice cream to forgive."

"True," CC conceded. "But before you go ballistic, let me explain. First off, I wasn't kissing her."

"Excuse me?" Jamie responded in a deep threatening tone.

"She was kissing me," CC explained quickly. "I was just about to tell her off when I saw you."

Jamie searched CC's eyes for any hint of deceit. She relaxed when she found nothing but sincerity staring back at her. "Go on," Jamie encouraged her.

"Marissa is an old flame," CC continued in a more confident tone. "But that was a long time ago and it was very brief. I've been completely honest with her about not wanting to continue things. I told her tonight at dinner that I'm seeing someone. Unfortunately, Marissa seems to be living in her own little world."

"Okay," Jamie responded slowly.

"Okay?"

"Okay," Jamie repeated with a shy smile.

"That's it?" CC grumbled.

"What were you expecting? The Spanish Inquisition?" Jamie chuckled as she enjoyed CC's discomfort.

"No but . . . ," CC protested.

"Look, you can't help it if you're a hottie," Jamie said, cutting her off.

"I am not," CC groaned in amusement.

"I swear you never look in the mirror," Jamie said softly as she leaned over and brushed her lips against the taller woman's.

"There's something else I need to tell you," CC said softly as she wrapped her arms around Jamie's body. The blonde instantly leaned into her lover's touch. "What I started to say before you drove off was that I never stopped . . ." CC's words were cut off as Jamie's beeper blared loudly.

"Damn," Jamie spat out as she ripped the offending object off her waistband. She checked it quickly, her lips curling into a snarl. "I have to go."

"That's all right. This really isn't the setting I wanted to tell you what I have to say," CC said with a coy smile.

"I'll see you tonight," Jamie promised. She kissed CC quickly before rushing back into the hospital. Jamie's heart couldn't stop pounding as she contemplated if CC was about to tell her what she was hoping to hear.
 

TBC
send comments to yomavis@email.com   (I will not accept any emails without a proper subject heading)
For updates, previews & the Wednedsday Afternoon Series join my egroup,
yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com  


Return to The Bard's Corner