THE BRASS RING

PART TWENTY-SEVEN

By Mavis Applewater

For disclaimers, see Part One.

Thanks to my beta reader Joanne.

As always, this is for Heather.

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

"What are you thinking?" Max inquired as CC stared through the two-way mirror. The sight of Simon Fisher sitting smugly at the shaky table made her stomach turn. "You’re on to something. I can hear those squeaky wheels spinning in that noggin of yours," Max pressed.

"He’s smart," CC explained dryly as Max blankly stared at her. "I mean he’s really, really smart. He knows it and he likes to show it. Did you know that in San Diego the cops grilled him for hours and he never broke a sweat? They didn’t have anything and he knew it. Just like now; he knows we’re focusing on him but we don’t have any proof. That makes him happy. The good cop bad cop scenario is just going to amuse him."

"What would you like to do?" Max encouraged her.

"Go in there and tell him that you’re sorry for wasting his time but you don’t need to talk to him," CC continued thoughtfully.

"Excuse me?" Max sputtered.

"Go in and send him packing. Make sure he feels like he isn’t important enough for you to waste your time on," CC concluded with a wry smile.

Max nodded in agreement and left her alone to watch Simon Fisher yawn in boredom. The door to the small observation room opened. CC didn’t bother to look up; she knew who it was. He sat in the chair next to her. She handed him the files that had been resting on her lap.

"So this is business and here I thought that you were missing me." The man grunted in amused as he shifted in his chair.

"Take a look," CC instructed him firmly, never taking her eyes off Dr. Fisher. "Why would I be missing you, Mallory? The last time I saw you was over a decade ago. You were standing by my hospital bed reminding me how it would be in everyone’s best interest if I pretended that the whole incident never happened."

"Calloway?" the man nervously began.

"Relax and take a look at those files," CC instructed him coolly as she watched Max finally enter the interview room.

"Doctor . . . uhm . . . " CC smiled as Max seemed to fumble for the man’s name. "Fisher," he concluded as he yawned and scratched his head. "Sorry to waste your time but I don’t need you for anything."

"You’re sitting here watching your partner dismiss a witness?" Mallory scoffed. CC ignored the man’s arrogance; she watched in delight as Simon Fisher’s face dropped in confusion. ‘Just push him a little harder, Max,’ she mentally encouraged her partner. "Wait." Mallory’s excited tone broke her concentration. "Two girls in Boston and San Diego? This is federal," Mallory stated eagerly.

"Stop marking your territory and listen," CC cut him off sharply.

"Then why am I here?" Fisher began to stammer.

"Sorry, must have been a mix up," Max said with a shrug. "I have no reason to talk to you. There’s nothing you can help me with."

"Good boy," CC said with a smile.

"Well . . . uhm . . . maybe I could be of some use," Fisher suggested timidly.

"Trust me, Doc; we don’t need you," Max goaded him. "Sorry for the inconvenience."

"Mallory, you’re not taking over this investigation," CC cautioned the irate man sitting next to her as she waited for Simon’s next move. "You’re going to work for us, and all of us are going to end up looking very good and a killer will be off the streets."

"It’s a serial case. That makes it federal," Mallory asserted with a hiss.

"Shove it, Mallory," CC spat back. "Your office will work for us and reap much needed good press. I took two bullets because of your screw-up and your informant ended up dead. I’m trying to catch a killer. How about you? Is your ego really going to get in my way?"

"No," Mallory agreed with a grunt. "What do you need?"

"See this guy." CC pointed towards Simon. "Max told him that he doesn’t need to speak to the police and he’s free to go, but he’s still there. I find that interesting. "

"Uh huh," Mallory conceded and CC knew that she finally had his interest.

"I want everything about him," CC stated flatly. "And I mean everything, right down to when he was potty trained."

"Anything else?" Mallory spat out sarcastically.

"Yes," CC answered in a flat even tone. "Don’t even think about holding anything back or excluding me on this or your already soiled reputation will be looking a whole lot dirtier."

"Understood," Mallory gravely agreed. "Mind if I watch the show?"

CC nodded in agreement as her eyes remained focused on Dr. Fisher. Max had agreed to talk with the young doctor, claiming boredom and a chance to put his feet up. "So why did someone in your department ask me to come down here?" Simon inquired, trying far too hard to sound casual.

"That must have been my partner," Max grunted in disgust.

"That woman," Simon sneered.

"She doesn’t like you." Max laughed. "I made the mistake of mentioning that you were in Dr. Jameson’s neighborhood yesterday."

"What’s so strange about me visiting Jamie?" Simon inquired with a shrug.

CC choked back the bile that began to rise in her throat. "Hey, you don’t have to tell me." Max sighed. "But you know that kind," Max added in a disgusted tone.

"It’s sad," Simon agreed. "Thinking that they don’t want a man. Pathetic really."

"I know," Max agreed. "Makes me sick. But what can I do? Thanks to the bleeding hearts that run this state, I’m stuck with her."

"I just wish that she would leave Jamie and me alone," Simon explained, believing his own lies. "Frankly I’m tempted to file a complaint."

"Maybe you should," Max grunted. "Get the bitch out of my hair."

"Perhaps," Simon responded, sounding confused. "I wonder if she’s somehow behind the vandalism at Jamie’s home."

"Bingo," CC drew out with a confident smile.

"Vandalism?" Max responded, playing along with the charade.

"Someone broke her front window," Simon explained. CC noted the far away look in his brown eyes. "Smashed it with a tire iron."

CC and Max were drawn in by the young doctors’ slip of the tongue. "Come on, Max; don’t let him know that you know," CC whispered as she tightly clutched the armrests of her chair.

"That’s terrible," Max exclaimed. "And in such a nice neighborhood. I tell you the whole world is going to hell. You know, I can look into it for you. It could have been one of those freaks she encounters in the ER."

"I thought of that," Simon added. "That place is a cesspool. I’ll be happy when my rotation is over." Max just stared at him blankly. "Right, you don’t understand. We’re rotated so we can learn from the different departments. Last time I was in pediatrics. All those screaming kids. But I did have a good thing going with one of the nurses."

"You’re a real heartbreaker." Max chuckled. "I envy you."

"Well, you know." Simon blushed then his smile vanished. "But things with Ellen ended badly." The icy tone in his voice was making the hair on the back of CC’s neck stand on end. Then suddenly his smile returned. "But it doesn’t matter now that Jamie and I are together."

"That’s what happens when you meet the right girl." Max smiled in agreement. "They clip your wings," he teased the young doctor. "Well, I should get back to work," Max grumbled as he stood.

"So how is the investigation into Sandra’s murder going?" Simon threw out casually.

"Probably some lowlife freak that spotted her on the street," Max explained.

"Oh?" Simon mumbled in a dejected tone.

"Don’t worry. It was probably just some loser," Max explained as he led Simon out of the room.

"Let me guess. This Jamie doesn’t have a relationship with him?" Mallory inquired.

"Not in the real world," CC responded as Max entered the room. Her partner stiffened at the sight of the FBI agent sitting there.

"Max, this is Special Agent Mallory," CC made the introductions.

"We’ve met," Max grunted.

"He’s going to tell us all about Dr. Fisher," CC taunted the federal agent. "Aren’t you?" Mallory ignored her comment until she flashed him an icy glare. "In fact, you’re going to get started right now."

"Of course," Mallory groaned as he stood and left.

Neither CC nor Max acknowledged the man’s departure. "Did you get all that?" Max asked.

"I caught everything," CC responded grimly. "Jamie’s broken window, the tire iron, and Ellen Murdock. It’s still not enough."

"Did Jamie tell anyone about her front window?" Max inquired.

"Her supervisor," CC sighed.

"So it could have been common knowledge," Max processed.

"Still, I love the part about the tire iron." CC smiled. "Nothing like confirming our suspicions. At some point the good doctor is going to realize that he made that slip. Let’s just hope we’re in a better position by then."

The door opened and a uniformed officer poked his head inside. "Max, the head of security from Boylston General is on the phone for you," the young officer explained. Fear gripped CC’s heart. They rushed out of the room and to their desks. CC paced nervously while Max spoke on the telephone. "Well?" she demanded once he ended the call.

"Jamie is fine," he reassured her as she blew out a tense breath. "She found a note in her locker. Two words, ‘You’re mine’." CC grabbed her car keys. "Sit," Max scolded her. "You can’t go near the evidence. Stay here. I’ll get the note, talk to Jamie, and take it to the lab," he explained carefully. CC opened her mouth, fully prepared to argue with him. "No," Max firmly asserted.

"I have to see her," CC protested.

"Call her," Max offered as he picked up his car keys.

CC had dialed the hospital before Max reached the door. "Dr. Jameson, please," she requested as she tried to still the erratic beating of her heart.

"Who’s calling please?" a voice inquired and CC relaxed, knowing that extra measures were being taken to ensure Jamie’s safety.

"Caitlin," she calmly offered.

"One moment please," the friendly voice said.

"Hey, baby," Jamie greeted her a few moments later.

"Are you all right?" CC asked in a soothing tone.

"A little shaken but hearing your voice really helps," Jamie responded softly.

"Max is on his way," CC explained.

"Oh?" Jamie responded and CC could hear the disappointment in the blonde’s voice.

"I’m sorry, baby, but because of us I have to stay away this time," CC explained. Her own heart was breaking at not being able to be there for her lover. "I’m doing everything I can to put this behind us," she promised.

"I know," Jamie responded confidently. "I was just a little . . ."

"I know," CC responded as she caressed the telephone.

"Did I tell you that I dropped my cookie?" Jamie added brightly. CC laughed, knowing that her lover was trying to ease the tension. "You laugh?" Jamie scoffed. "It was chocolate chip."

"You’ll have to explain that one to me when you get home." CC chuckled as she collected herself.

"Thanks," Jamie added softly. "I feel safer just by hearing your voice."

After CC ended the telephone call she looked at the clock again. ‘Jamie might feel better but I sure as hell don’t,’ her inner voice grumbled. She was about to call Jamie back just to hear her voice one more time when the desk sergeant informed her that Saul, aka Romeo, had arrived. She had the sergeant show the little bugger to the interview room while she grabbed Larry Sorensen to join her.

"Why do you need a baby sitter?" Sorensen grumbled as he tried to finish his sandwich on the way to the interview room.

"Just do," CC responded curtly.

"So what did he do?" Sorensen asked as he took another bite.

"Got a blow job," CC casually quipped as she opened the door and Sorensen choked on his sandwich.

"So Saul, how are you?" CC inquired with a feral grin as she took a seat next to the brooding young man. "I’m going to tape this interview and Detective Sorensen is going to keep us company," she explained as she turned on the recorder and motioned to the detective who’d finally managed to spit out the remnants of his sandwich.

"Look, haven’t you people done enough?" Saul spat out. "I lost my job; my father works in the cardiology department and heard why I was fired. I didn’t see anything and I don’t have anything else to say," he sneered in challenge.

"This punk got a blow job?" Sorensen asked in amazement. "What did ya do - pay for it, kid?"

"That’s it." Saul’s voice cracked as he stood.

"Not so fast." CC stood to her full height so she could tower over the young man who still had acne and looked barely old enough to shave. "Saul, I’m really sorry you lost your job and embarrassed your daddy," she spat out sarcastically. "But not as sorry as I am that a woman died because the killer knew that he could get by you."

Saul swallowed hard as he slumped back down into his chair, his frightened eyes staring up at CC. "You’ve done this before, haven’t you?" CC asked in an icy tone that scared even Sorensen.

"Yes," Saul squeaked.

"How often?" CC pressed.

"Whenever I work the late shift," Saul squeaked once again.

"You always shut the video off?" CC continued, still hovering over the man.

"Well yeah," Saul replied as if it was a silly question.

"Did you pay the girl?" CC continued.

"What?" Saul responded indignantly. "She’s my girlfriend."

"We need her name and address," CC informed him.

"But . . . ," he began to protest.

"No buts," CC cut him off. "A woman is dead. She’d be alive today if you’d only done your job," she pushed, not revealing that in fact two women were dead because Saul couldn’t keep it in his pants. So far very few people at the hospital knew about Ellen and she wanted to keep it that way.

CC slapped a legal pad of paper and a pen down in front of the frightened youth. "Start writing and while you’re writing you can tell us who entered the garage just before you shut the video down as well as everyone you can remember from the time the tape was off."

"There was that ferret-faced doctor who’s always real snotty to me," Saul quavered as he scribbled furiously.

"Name?" CC pushed him.

"I don’t know," Saul whined. "But I’ve seen him before; he always tries to watch when Shelia and I are together at work."

"Who else?" CC urged him on.

"Sandra Bernstein. I know her; she’s real nice," Saul babbled on. "And Ellen something, she’s a nurse in pediatrics, I think. I didn’t see anyone else. But I was . . . err . . . busy."

"Thank you, Saul," she added in a patronizing tone.

By the time she’d finished with Saul, Max had returned and they compared notes. The note was at the lab and was nondescript. Jamie seemed fine and agreed not to go anywhere in or out of the hospital alone. Later CC made a quick stop before hurrying home. She smiled when she opened the door and found Jamie sitting on the couch waiting for her. She held up the white bag she’d stopped for and Jamie smiled.

"Pepperidge Farm soft baked chocolate chunk." Jamie sniffed. "You’re too good to me."

"Yeah well . . . ," CC grumbled.

Jamie smiled sweetly at her and took the bag of cookies as she kissed CC tenderly on the cheek. "Let’s go to bed," Jamie whispered softly in the policewoman’s ear as she took her by the hand. CC was sporting a goofy grin as her lover led her into the bedroom.

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

Jamie led her lover into the tiny bedroom, never wanting to release her hand. "I need to take a shower, darling," CC whispered softly in the darkness.

"Then I’ll just have to join you," Jamie responded in a breathy tone as she turned and snuggled up against her tall lover. "Because I just can’t seem to let go of you." She sighed deeply as she felt CC’s hand caressing her back in a reassuring manner. "Sorry. With everything that’s going on I’m feeling a little clingy tonight."

"Ssh," CC said in a voice just above a whisper as she placed a gentle kiss on the top of Jamie’s head. "I’m feeling a little clingy myself. I just really need to shower before we go to bed," CC explained as she tightened her embrace.

"Let’s go then," Jamie concluded with a sly smile. CC parted her lips to speak. Jamie quickly silenced her lover by pressing her fingers gently against CC’s lips. "We’ll just have to be quiet so we don’t wake up Stevie or Emma. Quiet can be very nice sometimes," Jamie added seductively. She smiled as her lover’s amazing blue eyes widened. Jamie couldn’t see well enough in the dark but she was quite certain her lover was blushing.

Without a word Jamie led CC out of the bedroom and to the downstairs bathroom. CC leaned against the sink and watched the young doctor’s every move. Jamie slid open the glass door and turned on the water. She allowed it to run so it could reach the appropriate temperature. Then she turned to her awaiting lover.

CC gave her a curious glance as Jamie slowly closed the distance between them. Jamie ran her hands along CC’s broad shoulders and down her long arms. The brunette seemed to melt into her touch, giving herself over to Jamie’s exploration. Jamie took her time as she ran her small hands back up CC’s arms and then across her chest. She allowed her hands to soak up the feel of CC’s soft cotton shirt as she cupped her firm full breasts.

Jamie allowed her fingers and the palms of her hands to continue caressing her lover’s breasts as CC’s breathing grew heavier and her nipples hardened from the blonde’s touch. "I love the way your body responds to me," Jamie said softly as she placed tender kisses along CC’s neck and her hands continued their exploration. CC moaned softly in response.

Jamie nuzzled her face in CC’s long silky tresses. She loved the feel of her lover’s hair caressing her skin and could lose herself in it for an eternity. The whimper CC released alerted her that her lover needed more attention. Jamie reluctantly pulled her face out of CC’s hair and released her tender hold on her breasts. As the bathroom filled with steam, she slowly began to unbutton CC’s blouse.

Jamie allowed her fingertips to graze CC’s bronzed skin but never touched her where her need demanded. CC seemed completely willing to allow Jamie to set the pace. And tonight Jamie needed to take things slowly. The blonde could feel her own breathing become erratic as she removed CC’s blouse, allowing it to fall onto the floor.

Jamie ran her fingertips along the bare skin of CC’s shoulders while she lowered the straps of the woman’s bra. Jamie’s eyes were firmly fixed on watching the rise and fall of CC’s chest; she trailed her fingers along the brunette’s bra until she found the clasp in the back. With a swift motion Jamie released it and allowed the white lacy undergarment to hang loosely around her lover’s body.

The heat was rising in the small bathroom as the steam created a mist around them. Jamie removed the taller woman’s bra, allowing her fingers to once again caress her lover’s skin. She tossed the garment onto the floor and then cupped her lover’s breasts. She licked her lips as her hands wallowed in the feel of them. She explored the curve and weight of CC’s breasts without touching her erect nipples.

Jamie fought off the temptation to suckle CC’s nipples until her lover exploded in ecstasy. She watched her lover’s breathing becoming more erratic; her own breathing mirrored her lover’s. Her hands drifted down CC’s ribs and felt the curve of her body. Jamie caressed the brunette’s firm abdomen as CC released soft demanding moans.

As Jamie began to unzip CC’s slacks, the taller woman kicked of her shoes. Jamie lowered the pants down CC’s body, feeling every inch of exposed flesh in her path. She was kneeling before CC as she assisted in the removal of the brunette’s slacks and socks. Jamie’s hands slowly explored CC’s endless legs, feeling the muscles twitching from her touch. She rested her head against her lover’s quivering stomach as her fingers glided along CC’s thighs.

Jamie tilted her head back and began to run her fingers along the elastic waistband of CC’s panties. She smiled at the adorable underwear that had little blue smurfs on them. She almost laughed at the sight as she thought that it was adults like CC that kept novelty companies in business. Jamie kissed the taut muscles of CC’s stomach as she began to lower the underwear. The scent of her lover’s arousal filled her senses as Jamie pressed her body into CC’s long legs.

Jamie rubbed her breasts against the brunette’s firm thighs. She moaned as her nipples hardened through her nightshirt. Needing to feel more contact, Jamie quickly pulled off her top. She ran the hard buds across CC’s thighs as she lowered her panties slowly down her legs. Once free from her lover’s body, Jamie cast the underwear aside and once again ran her breasts up along CC’s legs.

She could see the glistening signs of her lover’s desire as she blew a warm breath through her dark curls. "Don’t come," Jamie whispered before she parted her lover’s swollen nether lips. CC growled in frustration as Jamie dipped her tongue in her lover’s wetness. Jamie’s tongue licked slowly along CC’s lips, drinking in her desire. CC clutched the edge of the sink while Jamie’s tongue flickered across her throbbing clit.

Jamie suckled CC’s clit in the warmth of her mouth. She grazed her teeth across the aching nub while she caressed her backside. CC’s thighs parted, inviting Jamie to explore her more deeply. Jamie suckled her harder as her hand massaged the firm flesh of her firm backside. As she felt CC’s body trembling against her, the blonde retreated and stood beside her frustrated lover. Jamie kissed the brunette deeply, allowing her to taste her own wetness on Jamie’s lips.

The blonde opened the shower door and tested the temperature of the water. After a quick adjustment she urged CC to enter the shower. Jamie stood just outside the glass door and watched CC immerse herself in the water. The sight of water dripping off CC’s long beautiful body made her body quiver with desire. Once, years ago when they were dating the first time, Jamie had caught sight of a younger CC in the shower and almost exploded from the beauty she saw.

Now, over a decade later, Jamie felt the same stirrings of passion for CC. The brunette looked at her as she ran soapy hands over her body. Jamie watched as those strong hands lathered every inch of CC’s body. She leaned back and watched each swirl of the bubbling lather that covered her lover. Jamie’s hand slipped beneath the waistband of her sweatpants.

Jamie moaned as her own wetness painted her fingers. Her emerald eyes were firmly fixed on the soft movements of CC’s hands while the blonde teased her own aching clit. She gasped as CC stepped under the spray of water and the lather ran down her body. Jamie’s hips swayed urgently as she touched herself while CC began to wash her hair. By the time CC was rinsing the shampoo out of her long raven tresses, Jamie’s hips were thrusting wildly.

She was panting as her hand slipped out of the warm wetness. She was close to the edge but wanted to climax with CC’s body pressed against her own. She tugged off her sweatpants and threw them aside. Jamie stepped into the shower and closed the door behind her. She pressed her naked body against CC and ran her hands along her lover’s wet naked flesh as the water beat down upon them.

CC turned and wrapped Jamie in her arms; their lips were soon locked in a fiery kiss as their bodies melted together. Not even a drop of water separated them as Jamie felt the cool tile wall pressing against her back. Each pressed a firm thigh against the other’s aching mound. The kiss ended with both women gasping for air as they rode against the other’s firm thigh. CC began to suckle Jamie’s neck as the blonde clutched the taller woman’s backside.

They thrust against one another urgently as their breasts pressed together. Jamie’s body was on fire as they swayed together, each matching the other’s frantic rhythm until they cried out. They clung to each other as their bodies trembled. Finally, each exhaled a heavy breath and they stepped back under the warm water and began to bathe one another, lingering on the more interesting body parts. Jamie once again found herself pressed against the shower wall and she wrapped her legs around CC’s body. Her lover held her up with one arm while the other slipped between their bodies.

Jamie thrust against CC’s body as her lover entered her. The blonde’s hips rocked wildly as CC’s fingers plunged in and out of her wetness. She muffled her cries as she climaxed against her lover’s touch. They shared lingering kisses before returning to the task of actually getting clean. Drying each other off almost led to them returning to the shower, but since the water had already turned cold the couple climbed into bed. Jamie released a happy sigh as she snuggled her naked body against CC’s. "I love you," she whispered as sleep claimed her.

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

CC was humming softly as she looked over the case files and forensic reports that were laid out on her desk. "You’re in an awfully good mood," Max commented wryly as he looked over his own collection of reports. CC simply wiggled her dark eyebrows suggestively. "Oh, I see," Max surmised. "Still excited about the new car."

"Now that’s why you’re a detective," CC taunted him.

"Hmm," Max sighed as he nodded. "You might want to tell her not to leave so many marks next time."

"He he," CC chuckled with a broad smile.

Her telephone rang and she quickly answered it. "Calloway," she said into the receiver.

"Detective Calloway, this is Detective Brooks," the wheezing chain smoker greeted her.

"Detective Brooks, nice to hear from you," CC replied as Max perked up. "I was going to call you in a little while. I don’t really have much but I want to keep you in the loop."

"I appreciate it." He coughed. "I might have something for you. The other day you asked if either of my victims were gay."

"Yes?" she responded eagerly as she twirled her pencil between her fingers.

"I don’t know why I didn’t recall it at the time. Marylyn wasn’t but she did say something that might help you," he explained. "When Simon first started bugging her to go out with him, she told him that she was gay just to get rid of him.

"Interesting," CC noted. "What about Natalie, the other girl?"

"I did some checking and she was a lesbian," Brooks confirmed. "Do you think this might be some kind of hate crime?"

"Not in the traditional sense," CC explained. "But it might be our boy’s trigger."

"One more thing." Brooks coughed. "There’ve been some suits sniffing around the old files. You wouldn’t know anything about that, would you?"

"Yeah," CC responded with a heavy sigh. "I know you probably don’t want the feds around anymore than my boss does, but they promised to be good."

"I’d work with the devil himself if I could finally bring some peace to these girls’ families," Brooks vowed.

"Feds, the devil - close enough," CC commented. "Thanks again, Detective. I’ll keep you informed."

After she hung up the telephone, she filled Max in on what she had found. "Now Natalie complained about someone harassing her but they could never prove that it was Fisher," Max thought out loud.

"Right," CC confirmed. "What about the lab report on the note from Jamie’s locker?"

"Nothing," Max grumbled. "It could have been Fisher or Santa Claus for all we know. The paper is too common, the handwriting indistinct, and the only prints were Jamie’s and hospital security."

"What? They couldn’t find a pair of rubber gloves in the ER?" CC growled. "Yoyos. Don’t these guys ever watch television?"

"Detective Calloway," a voice greeted her. CC looked up to find a very weary looking Agent Mallory staring down at her.

"Speak of the devil," she teased.

"I think that you, your partner, your Captain, and I should have a talk," he suggested in an exhausted tone.

Within a few moments the four of them were sitting in the Captain’s office. Mallory handed the Captain a large file. "Everything you would ever want to know about Dr. Simon Fisher," Mallory explained; his demeanor and rumpled appearance told CC that he had given his all to find out everything he could.

"How many bodies?" CC fearfully inquired.

"Nine we think," Mallory confirmed as the hair on the back of CC’s neck stood on end. "Starting with his high school sweetheart - only there’s no body for that one."

"Peachy," CC choked out. "Let’s hear it."

"Simon Fisher of the San Diego Fishers has a sealed juvenal record for arson and torching the neighborhood animals. A classic characteristic for serial killers," Mallory began in a slow careful tone. "His parents moved him from one private school to another whenever little Simon would get in trouble. Then about the time he turned seventeen, he met and started dating Janie Jensen. Simon seemed to clean up his act. His grades got better; he stopped setting things on fire and got accepted to a good college. The couple remained close until his sophomore year when Janie started college away from home. Everything seemed fine and then Janie disappeared. She was driving back to school at UC Santa Barbara after the winter break was over. Her car was discovered in a remote area off her route with a flat tire. Everyone assumed she broke down and some creep snatched her."

"You doubt that’s what happened?" CC urged him.

"Normally I wouldn’t but we did find out something very interesting," Mallory continued. "She and her roommate were involved. According to the roommate, a romance had begun and Janie was planning on breaking up with Simon. She’d never told anyone about it since her parents were so devastated by her disappearance."

"Was Janie a blonde?" CC asked, trying to keep her professional focus intact.

"Blonde hair, green eyes, and looked a lot like your victims," Mallory confirmed. "Here’s her picture."

CC felt ill as she looked at the young girl who closely resembled her lover. "And the other victims?" CC pressed on, trying to remain focused and keep her breakfast from reappearing. The Captain slid the crime scene photos over.

"They could be our victims," the Captain noted.

"Same look, same MO, same lifestyle, same everything," Mallory pointed out. "And they either knew Simon Fisher or he was in the area at the time. Several times he had a fictitious relationship with the victim. The only one that wasn’t interested in women was Marylyn Steiner; we think she was his second victim."

"But she told him that she was gay just to ditch him," CC added.

"Yes, we found that out as well," Mallory confirmed, impressed with CC’s knowledge.

"It really is him," CC said in slow steady voice as her heart pounded violently.

"Yes," Mallory confirmed. "And we can’t prove a thing."

The four of them sat there in a stony silence until the ring of the Captain’s telephone broke through the eerie silence. The Captain seemed tense as he concluded the call. "That was hospital security. Dr. Jameson received another note," he explained tensely.

 

- Continued - Part 28

send comments to yomavis@email.com

for updates, previews & the wednesday afternoon series join my egroup,

yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com


Return to The Bard's Corner