THE BRASS RING

PART TWENTY-EIGHT

By Mavis Applewater

For disclaimers, see Part One.

A big thank you goes out to my wonderful beta reader Joanne.

As always, this is for Heather.

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

"Ms. Durham, I’m Dr. Jameson," Jamie introduced herself as she stepped into the exam room. She was studying the chart the nurse had handed her and didn’t look at her patient. When the woman failed to respond, Jamie looked up to see the woman staring at her coldly. It wasn’t an unusual reaction since most people didn’t come to see her because they were feeling good. Still, there was something familiar about the brunette who was giving her a murderous look. Jamie just couldn’t put her finger on where she’d seen the woman before.

Jamie shrugged it off and went about examining the woman who proved to be quite uncooperative. "It looks like strep; I’m going to take a throat culture just be certain," Jamie explained as she scribbled some notes on Ms. Durham’s chart. "Are you allergic to any antibiotics?" Jamie asked the scowling woman as the doctor’s mind once again tried to recall why the woman was familiar. "Is that a no?" Jamie pressed when the woman failed to respond.

"Dr. Jameson, you have a call on line three," Evaline said as she stepped into the room.

"Thanks." Jamie nodded. "Could you take a throat culture for me while I take the call?" Evaline agreed and Jamie excused herself while her patient glared at her.

Jamie shrugged as she picked up the telephone on the wall across from her unfriendly patient. "Dr. Jameson," Jamie greeted her caller.

"James, are you all right?" CC inquired frantically.

"Caitlin?" Jamie responded in confusion. Suddenly a bedpan went flying past her head. Evaline screamed as Jamie spun around.

Jamie was stunned to find her patient looking for something else to throw at her. Jamie dropped the telephone when her memory started working. "Oh shit. Liz," she muttered as she ducked a box of gauze. A security officer stepped into the room just as Liz’s aim started to improve. "Dr. Jameson, are you all right?" the man inquired as began to head towards Liz.

"Freeze!" Jamie shouted. "Now all of you calm down!" the blonde doctor asserted firmly. Thankfully everyone halted in their tracks. "Evaline, did you get the culture?" she asked quickly.

"No; she tried to bite me," Evaline responded bitterly.

"I’ll get it," Jamie offered. "Why don’t both of you wait outside. And you sit down," she growled at Liz.

"Dr. Jameson, I need to speak with you," the guard pleaded.

"I’ll be outside in a moment," Jamie responded in a firm voice. He nodded and then he and Evaline quickly left the room.

"Liz," Jamie began as she clenched her jaw.

"Now you know my name," the woman responded in a scratchy voice.

"Look, I know I’m a complete jerk," Jamie confessed in a harsh tone as she approached the woman with whom she’d shared a disastrous sexual encounter. "But if you don’t behave, I’m going to call that large security guard back in here and have you restrained, and not in a fun way. Do you understand?" Liz simply glared at her. "I mean it," Jamie stressed. Liz still refused to answer her; Jamie watched the anger grow on the brunette’s features. "Look, I may not have been the good time you were expecting in the backseat of your car, but I am a good doctor and that is why you’re here."

"You used me to cheat on your girlfriend," Liz hissed.

"No," Jamie corrected her as she gathered the materials that she needed to get the throat culture. "Caitlin and I weren’t back together by then."

"Don’t hand me that ‘we were separated’ crap," Liz squawked.

"For twelve years," Jamie fumed, tired of the nasty predicament. Liz looked at her with a stunned expression. Jamie blew out a heavy sigh before finishing her explanation. "She was my girlfriend in college. We split up over a dozen years ago and recently got back together. That night I was with you I was still trying to sort out my feelings. Satisfied?" Liz nodded in agreement. "Good. Now open wide so I can get this over with. And if you try to bite me, I’ll beat the snot out of you," Jamie added in a threatening tone. Liz nodded fearfully and opened her mouth as wide as she could.

Jamie was exhausted by the time she handed the culture to one of the technicians. Just as she did, the security guard approached her as CC, Max, and an older man she didn’t recognize came bursting into the Emergency Room. "Now what?" Jamie grumbled as she rubbed her throbbing temples. Then she remembered that she’d been on the telephone with CC when Liz threw her hissy fit. "Just great," Jamie groaned as her lover made a determined path towards her.

"I’m fine," Jamie blurted out quickly as CC approached her. "It was just a difficult patient," she added, knowing that her lover was probably scared to death from what she’d heard on the telephone.

"What about the note?" CC inquired in a troubled tone.

"What note?" Jamie said in bewilderment.

"I haven’t had a chance to tell her yet," the security guard interjected. "We found it on her car."

"Why don’t Mallory and I find out about the note while you and Dr. Jameson get a cup of coffee or something?" Max offered.

"Sounds like a good idea," CC agreed as she led Jamie away from the inquisitive looks they were receiving. "You can tell me about your difficult patient," CC suggested as they stepped outside into the cool night air.

Jamie felt sick as they walked over to the tables in the deserted outdoor lunch area. She didn’t want to talk about Liz with CC; the idea of what had just happened was making her stomach turn. "Why don’t you tell me about this note instead?" Jamie suggested, hoping a change of subject would alleviate the sick feeling growing inside of her.

"I don’t know anything yet," CC responded tensely as she sat down at one of the tables. "What’s going on, James?" she asked.

"She was a mistake," Jamie began as she felt the tears welling up in her eyes. CC turned her gaze away and Jamie could feel a sudden coldness emanate from her lover. "Before we got back together, I didn’t treat women with very much respect," Jamie confessed.

"If it was before we got back together, then I really don’t need to know," CC responded honestly, the coldness seeming to ease.

"Then why won’t you look at me?" Jamie pressed as her heart began to ache. CC didn’t respond as she continued to look off in the distance. ‘No more secrets. We promised each other that,’ Jamie reminded herself as she swallowed her fear. "I was with her and I said your name," Jamie explained slowly. CC’s head snapped around and she looked up at Jamie with a shocked expression. "I didn’t even recognize her until I answered your call. She heard your name and flipped out."

"No small wonder." CC laughed. "I’m sorry; it’s not funny. Come here," CC said with a smile as she held out her hand.

Jamie smiled shyly as she accepted CC’s offer and climbed up into her lover’s lap. "Look, we both have a past," CC explained as she wrapped her arms around Jamie’s shivering body. "And it’s going to show up. It might make things uncomfortable at times, but so long as these confessions are about the past it can’t hurt us." Jamie’s smile grew as she nestled closer to the warmth of her lover’s body.

CC began to run her fingers through Jamie’s hair and gently massaged her scalp. The young doctor felt her heart rate increase as she leaned into her lover’s touch. Jamie’s breathing was becoming erratic and she felt her nipples hardening as CC continued her gentle caresses. "Do you have any idea what you do to me?" Jamie asked in a breathy tone as she began to nibble on her lover’s neck. CC moaned as Jamie’s kisses grew more insistent. Jamie looked up to find herself captured by a lustful azure gaze. She reached up and pulled CC’s face down to her own. Jamie’s eyes drifted to her lover’s soft lips.

Their lips brushed and Jamie’s arousal grew. She ran her tongue along CC’s lips while her lover’s hands drifted down her back. Jamie parted CC’s lips with her tongue and soon they were lost in a passionate kiss. The kiss deepened as Jamie cast off any worries of just where they were. CC suddenly broke away. "We need to get back inside," the brunette insisted suddenly in a cool tone as she lifted Jamie up off her lap. Jamie was stunned by the abruptness her lover displayed. Something about the tone of CC’s voice frightened her.

Just as Jamie started to ask CC why she was rushing her back towards the hospital entrance, she had the uneasy feeling of being watched. "There’s someone out there, isn’t there?" she choked out as CC quickened their pace.

"Yes," CC hissed.

 

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

 

 

CC rushed Jamie back inside the hospital. Despite the safety the busy Emergency Room provided, CC still felt uneasy. She had been lost in Jamie’s touch when she felt a chill run through her body. She hadn’t wanted to frighten Jamie, but she knew that someone was watching. As much as she tried to write it off as just some passerby, she knew it wasn’t true. It was as if she could feel the seething hatred boring a hole through her body.

"I’m sorry," CC apologized as she guided Jamie into the doctor’s lounge. She felt as if she was failing to protect the one person who truly held her heart.

"I’m fine," Jamie reassured her as she run her fingers along the policewoman’s arm.

"I think we need to pull a Bette Davis again tonight," CC suggested wearily; she thought that another night hiding in the hotel would be the safest option for Jamie.

The hair on the back of her neck stood on end as the door behind her opened; she watched as Jamie’s emerald eyes widened fearfully. "What are you doing here?" Jamie hissed boldly as CC spun around, instinctively reaching for her sidearm. CC used her body to block Jamie from Simon’s hostile glare.

"Get out," CC commanded as the young doctor glared at her and her lover.

"Why do you keep trying to interfere with us?" Simon questioned her in a distant tone.

"There is no . . . ," Jamie began.

"Don’t," CC cautioned her, noting the distant look in the young man’s eyes. "He won’t understand," she added knowing that Simon was lost in his own little world and would put his own interpretation on anything Jamie said.

"Maybe you’ll understand this, Dr. Fisher," Jamie hissed. "You are not allowed on hospital property unless you’re on duty. I believe that was explained to you. Now unless you want security to escort you out of here, I suggest that you leave."

CC was proud of her petite lover’s bravado. Still, letting Simon Fisher out of her sight wasn’t the best course of action. Out of the room would be a good idea. Yet CC couldn’t touch the deranged young man without jeopardizing everything. For a brief moment she ran her fingers along the cold steel of her weapon, wondering if she should just end it there and then. She brought her hand down, knowing she couldn’t cross that line.

The door opened once again and Max and Mallory stepped into the room. CC smiled slyly as she watched Simon’s demeanor soften. "Dr. Fisher, I need a word with you," Max asserted firmly.

CC’s heart pounded in her chest as Simon’s eyes drifted to Jamie. "Janie, I don’t understand why you’re letting this creature be around you?" he offered in a casual tone. CC’s eyes widened in horror as he called Jamie by the name of his high school sweetheart. She could see Max and Mallory stiffen as well. Simon simply sighed and calmly turned towards Max. "Detective, it’s good to see you again."

"Always a pleasure, Dr. Fisher," Max appeased him. "In fact, I think I could use your help with something. Would you mind joining Special Agent Mallory and I down at the station?"

"Special Agent?" Fisher responded tersely.

Max approached Fisher casually and whispered in his ear. "Suits," he grunted loudly enough so CC and Mallory could hear him. "It’s her fault. Don’t worry; he’s here to help us get rid of her."

"Good," Simon responded with confidence. "I’ll just meet you down at the station," the young doctor added with an air of boldness.

"That would be a big help," Max appeased him as he followed the troubled young man out of the room.

CC’s hands rested protectively on Jamie’s shoulders as she looked at Mallory who lingered behind. "What is it?" she demanded as she continued to caress Jamie’s shoulders.

"One of the attendants noticed someone lurking around Jamie’s car," Mallory explained. "Sharp older guy thought it was strange and called security even though he wasn’t stationed at that garage."

"Terrell," CC noted in appreciation.

"That’s the guy," Mallory confirmed. "It was another note; only this time we got Dr. Fisher on tape. This could be the break we’re looking for."

"What did the note say?" Jamie asked before CC had a chance to.

Mallory looked hesitant. "Special Agent, is it?" Jamie began irately. "I don’t like it when people talk directly in front of me about things that concern me and then exclude me from the conversation."

"Well . . . uhm," Mallory hedged.

"Tell her," CC spat out.

"Stay away from her," Mallory responded. "That was it. Same bold non-distinct handwriting as the last note."

"He sure is subtle," Jamie grumbled.

"Maybe too subtle," CC noted thoughtfully. "We know it’s a threat, but can we prove it? Still, with the complaints Jamie has filed here at the hospital and with us, it might be just enough to get us a search warrant. I really want to see this guy’s tire iron. We’re so close."

"Your guy Carter and our shrink are joining us down at the station. You want to come and watch the show?" Mallory offered. Normally CC would have been the first one out the door. She squeezed Jamie’s shoulders, not wanting to leave her lover’s side. "I’ve already called for an agent to follow Dr. Jameson."

"I think maybe I’ll just . . . ," CC stammered.

"Caitlin, you should go," Jamie reassured her. "I’ll be fine between hospital security, the FBI . . . that is who you are, isn’t it?" Jamie asked Mallory who simply nodded. "And don’t think I haven’t noticed all the off-duty cops coming in with cases of the sniffles."

"I just . . . ," CC began in an effort to explain her actions.

"Worry about me," Jamie finished for her. "I know, and you’re right this time," Jamie agreed. "But if it wasn’t for you, Simon probably wouldn’t even be a suspect. I’d feel better if you were there to ensure everything goes right. Caitlin, the FBI are watching me," she repeated. "The worse thing that could happen is another old flame drops in to tell me what I jerk I am."

"Okay," CC agreed. "I do want to talk to Dr. Carter and your profiler to see if they have any ideas about how approach this guy. Plus I want to Mirandize him." Mallory stared at her blankly. "I want anything he says to be put to use. He already thinks of me as the enemy. If I’m the one doing it, then he’ll just blow me off for being a bitch. He’ll probably forget I said it."

"Make sense," Mallory agreed.

"Hold him here for a moment," CC requested as she nodded to Jamie.

The moment Mallory left them Jamie was wrapped up in CC’s arms. "Be careful," CC pleaded as she kissed the top of Jamie’s head.

"You too," Jamie whispered softly. CC nodded in agreement and made her way back out into the hospital corridor, already regretting her decision to leave Jamie behind.

"Dr. Fisher." She scowled as curious hospital employees looked on. "You have the right to remain silent; anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

"You can’t be serious," Fisher scoffed.

"You have the right to an attorney. If you can’t afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you," CC continued, completely unflustered by Simon’s glare.

"Am I under arrest?" he taunted her.

"No," Max assured him. "She’s just being her usual pain-in-the-ass self."

"Do you understand your rights as I’ve explained them to you?" CC pressed, wondering if the fact that he wasn’t under arrest might present a problem down the road. Simon simply curled his lip in disgust. "Do you understand these rights as I’ve explained them to you, Dr. Fisher?" she repeated.

"Doc," Max encouraged him. "If you understand them, just tell her. It makes the whole thing legal and it will protect you down the road."

"Fine. I understand my rights, and no, I don’t need an attorney," Simon spat out.

"Done this before have you?" CC taunted him.

"Come on, Doc; why don’t you ride with us?" Max suggested. "No sense adding mileage to your car." Simon shrugged in agreement. "Oh, and that thing she said; I’m afraid it applies for the entire trip and while you’re at the station." Simon blinked in surprise; CC was suddenly worried that they might have overplayed their hand. "Don’t you just hate all this legal crap?" Max added in disgust. Simon’s face relaxed slightly. "You must be use to that with everyone trying to sue you doctors and rip you off."

"You have no idea," Simon agreed as he followed Max and Mallory out of the hospital.

CC breathed a sigh of relief and made her way out to her new SUV, thankful that they had taken separate cars. She spotted the agent Mallory had sent over instantly. "Why don’t they just stamp FED on their forehead?" she pondered as she fished her cell phone out of her pocket. "Smithy, this is Callaway. I need a car towed," she explained with a sly smirk as she noticed Fisher’s BMW parked illegally. "Might be a small problem. It’s at Boylston General and it has MD plates," she said to the supervisor at the impound yard.

"No," Smithy flatly refused.

"It’s illegally parked," CC argued.

"Those two letters on the plate means this bozo can park anywhere he wants to," Smithy carefully explained.

"There must be a way," CC pressed.

"Nope." Smithy sighed. "He can block Governor Swift’s driveway and we can’t touch him."

"Now there’s an idea." CC chuckled. "Are you sure you can’t touch it?" CC pleaded.

"Does the term illegal search and seizure mean anything?" Smithy chastised her. "Trust me; if we pick up a doctor’s car from the hospital, anything you find won’t mean spit. You could find Jimmy Hoffa in the trunk and it would be thrown out. Give me the tag on it and let me see if I can find anything out. You never know; they got the Son of Sam on parking tickets."

"You keep reminding me of that," CC grumbled before reading off Simon’s plate number. "I ran it a few days ago and didn’t come up with anything."

"With all the cutbacks, you never know," Smithy said encouragingly.

"Thanks," she added before concluding the call.

A slight sense of defeat embraced her as she was about to climb into her new car. Then she spotted a familiar figure passing by. "Terrell," she greeted the older man.

"Detective," he greeted her in return.

"Could you do me a favor?" she inquired as she handed him her business card. "See that black BMW over there?"

"Yup," Terrell responded with a scowl.

"Could you keep on eye on it for me?" she asked politely.

"My pleasure." Terrell said, nodding in agreement.

"Thank you," she added with sincerity.

"Dr. Jameson okay?" he inquired.

"Yes," CC reassured him. "Thank you for calling us."

"I’ll keep an eye on her too," he promised.

She thanked him once again and climbed into her car. "Damn it; if only you had been on duty that night," she muttered as she pulled out into traffic. "Then again, with a whacko like Fisher it’s just a matter of time," she reasoned as she raced towards the station.

When she arrived she met up with Max and Mallory. During her drive Smithy had got back to her with some interesting information. She brushed past the men and pulled out a street map. "Boys?" She beckoned them over. "Where’s the good doctor?" she inquired quickly.

"Cooling his heels in Interrogation One," Max explained. "He didn’t say anything useful on the drive down. Except what a pain in the ass you are. But I knew that," Max teased. "I think he’s onto us."

"Fine," CC conceded. "We knew it would happen. I tried to have his car towed."

"Not bright," Mallory chastised her.

"No," CC admitted. "But Smithy ran his plates and he got a speeding ticket right here." She pointed to the map. "In the early morning hours on the night Sandra died."

"That’s down the street from the park where she was dumped," Max fumed. "Why are we just finding this out now?"

"Somebody screwed up," CC grumbled. "But I think that and the fact that he was in the garage will get us our warrant. So what do you say, boys? Want to wake up a judge and then talk to the headshrinkers? After that the three of us can have a little chat with Simon while his car is being searched."

"I like it," Max agreed.

"Works for me," Mallory added with a smile.

"Mallory, you’re smiling?" CC smiled in return. "I didn’t think you knew how."

 

CHAPTER FIFTY

 

 

"My, things are getting exciting around here." The Captain smirked across the conference table at CC.

"Aren’t they though?" CC confirmed as she looked around the room. There was Max; herself; the Captain; Mallory; Dr. Carter; Marissa; Dr. Richards, the profiler from the FBI; the local ADA; and, of course, a federal prosecutor. CC was certain that the last two would be pulling out the yardsticks if Fisher were their guy.

"Callaway, it’s your show," the Captain instructed with a slight gleam in his eyes.

"Let’s start with you, Dr. Richards," CC began. "Dr. Richards is the profiler from Mallory’s office. She’s been given all the information regarding the victims only. She’s been told nothing regarding the lead suspect. Let’s see if we’re on the right track. Dr. Richards, if you would?"

The middle-aged blonde brushed back a strand of long curly hair as she looked over her notes. "The victims suffered from strangulation, blunt force trauma, and attempted rape. Based on the attacks, the victims’ lifestyles or alleged lifestyles, this is what I’ve concluded. Frontal strangulation shows his need for control. These women have probably rejected him. The attempt to rape them isn’t, in his mind, rape. He honestly believes that they want him, but somewhere during the attack he knows that it isn’t true. That explains the equipment failure. He knows what he’s doing is wrong; that’s why he crushes their skulls. He needs to cover up his mistake. And that’s all he sees this as - a mistake. He doesn’t consider his victims. He is far too self-centered to consider their needs. He’s probably from a wealthy family that covered up any misdeeds he did to protect the family’s image. He expects this. He is a white male, probably in his early to late twenties by now. The guy you are looking for has a sealed juvenile record. He probably started out with minor crimes at first then slowly escalated towards arson, animal mutilation, and violence towards others. Mommy and Daddy bailed him out. He thinks the world owes him a favor due to his station in life. He’s a professional - a doctor, lawyer, or stockbroker - something fitting his station in life. He doesn’t enjoy his work but he’s expected to make something of his life and he resents it. He thinks that he should just be able to live off the family fortune and do whatever he wants. He’s an overachiever although not because he wants to be. He’s only a success because his family expects him to be one. Disappointing his parents is, in his mind, the worse thing he could do. They would probably cut him off and he would have to actually go out and support himself, something that he feels is beneath him. He dumps his victims in the nude out in the open for several reasons. First and foremost is the shame; it’s his final punishment to them for rejecting him. Secondly, he’s smart, very smart, and knows that tossing them without clothing in an exposed area will disturb the forensic evidence. Next, the reason he didn’t do this with Ellen Murdock is because he chose Sandra over Ellen. Killing them both was confusing to him. He sees them all as the same woman, the first one who rejected him. Which brings us to the first victim. Off the record, Janie is dead. There’s not a doubt in my mind that he followed her. He probably just wanted to talk her into coming back to him. When she refused, he started to choke her for ruining his image. She would have been the perfect trophy wife.

Killing her was probably an accident; he panicked and hid her body. When he got away with it, his confidence grew. He’s still seeking his trophy wife but he thinks it’s the same girl. Okay, now who wants to hear the bottom line?" she teased as the others laughed. "I know it’s a little dry but here it is. The killer is the same person in all the crimes. He’s a rich spoiled brat with a borderline personality disorder. He has a violent nature. He’s killing his first victim over and over again. In his mind they’re all Janie. When he was confronted with two Janie’s, he chose one to be her and simply forgot about the other one. He also blames Janie. Nothing is ever his fault. His position in life, his intelligence, and his youthful arrogance have convinced him that he’s invincible. Questions?"

"Does he know what he’s doing is wrong?" Rumford the federal prosecutor asked.

"Not when the attacks begin," she responded firmly as the rest of room released a collective groan. "Sorry folks; this one, in my opinion, is legally nuts. It’s only during the attacks that he realizes what he’s done. Afterward he may not even remember doing it. His subconscious knows and it kicks in his ability to evade the authorities."

"How do we catch him?" Max inquired thoughtfully.

"Unless you catch him in the act or gather enough evidence, which will be difficult since most of the crimes are not pure, you’d have to set a trap," she said as CC’s body tensed. "But with this guy it would take a lot of time. He has to meet the girl and be rejected by her and then his delusions need to grow until he’s forced to act out."

Several eyes turned to CC. "Not going to happen, guys," she asserted harshly.

"We could use a policewoman," Mallory suggested.

"It won’t work," Dr. Richards cut him off. "If he’s found his new Janie then he knows everything about her, he won’t be fooled by someone who looks like her. I also agree with Detective Callaway. Putting a civilian in this guy’s path is far too dangerous. I’m assuming that you suspect who the intended victim will be."

"Yes, we do," CC confirmed. "That’s if we’re focusing on the right guy. Speaking of which, Dr. Carter, would you like to fill us in on your report?"

"My pleasure," Dr. Carter agreed. He was an older man with a rapidly retreating hairline and bifocal glasses. "Basically Simon Fisher fits Dr. Richards’ profile perfectly. After reviewing the files and meeting with Dr. Fisher, I’ve come to the conclusion that I could write a textbook on this guy. He has a juvenile record for arson, animal mutilation, and assault. His high school sweetheart, Janie Jensen, disappeared after she dumped Simon for another girl. Everywhere he travels, girls who look a lot like Janie and either have or are believed to have sexual interest in women, turn up dead. Now that’s what I got from the files. After speaking with the arrogant little jerk, this is what I’ve decided. He’s rich, arrogant, and very smart. When in the company of women or men his own age, he behaves like the king of the universe. But he responds to myself and Max. He seems to want to prove himself to older men. We probably remind him of Daddy." Max snorted at the comment. "He hates gay women. He’s convinced himself that they just need the right man. Sadly it’s a view shared by far too many people, but with Simon it’s very important for him to believe this. CC, you did a really smart thing when you had Max tell him to go home the other day because he had nothing important to offer him. His pride was hurt and he’s starting to view Max as a father figure. He stayed because he needed to prove himself to Max. Being dismissed by Daddy just can’t happen. But I bet it has more than once. The interesting thing about this yahoo is that he functions really well with day-to-day life. When Max told him to file a report against CC, he should have jumped at the chance. He didn’t because somewhere in his mind he knew that if he did he would have to face Jamie telling him that she wasn’t interested in him and wanted him to go away. This guy’s delusions run deep and so do his survival instincts. My suggestion is to have Max conduct the interview and have CC sit in. He trusts one and despises the other. It might be enough to get him a little off kilter. But I can’t guarantee it will work. That’s it."

"Thank you both," CC said as she mentally processed the information. "Marissa? What did the boys in the lab get?"

"We have blood, tissue, and fibers, most of which came from Ellen’s apartment and the bodies," Marissa explained shyly, avoiding eye contact with CC. "We just need to match it to something. There are some carpet fibers that Stan found at the Murdock crime scene which he did trace to a carpet manufactured exclusively for BMW."

"That is good," Max said.

"Not really," CC grumbled. "She was a nurse. Chances are she knew one or two folks who drive Beamers." They all seemed to ponder the situation as CC wondered just how long Simon would sit quietly in the room they’d stuck him in.

"Now it’s time for the lawyers," she began with a smirk. "Gentlemen, personally I don’t care who gets jurisdiction. But I feel that, based on the evidence, you’ll never convict him on any crimes other than the ones that have happened here in the Commonwealth. All I want to know before our prime suspects walks out of here, because he’s free to go and is probably ready to do just that by now, can you get us a warrant so we can get to his car before he does? Because if he’s as smart as everyone keeps telling me he is, any evidence is going to go bye bye real soon if it hasn’t already."

"It is on its way," ADA Griffin confirmed with a smile. "I woke up Judge Muller."

The police officers smiled. "I love Judge Muller. " The Captain smirked. "A policeman’s best friend."

"Could it get thrown out later?" Rumford questioned fearfully.

"Let’s hope not," CC grumbled, knowing that the dear old judge was very partial to giving warrants to the police. But a smart lawyer could maneuver around that. Her one glimmer of hope was Simon’s arrogance. His ego would never allow his attorney to plead insanity if he went to trial.

"Fine. I’ll have a team waiting to execute the warrant," the Captain barked. "Now you and Max go start your interview before Fisher walks out of here. Marissa, head down to the lab and wait. I’m assuming that the rest of you would like to watch?" The rest of the group nodded eagerly.

"Come on, Max. Let’s go play good Dad cop and mean old lesbian cop." CC nudged her partner as they stood.

As they entered the interview room and found Simon idly twiddling his thumbs with a cocky smirk on his face, CC had to fight the urge to beat the man senseless. Simon smiled at Max and sneered at CC with a look of defiance. ‘So you want to play? Fine!’ CC thought as she flashed the cocky little bugger a defiant sneer of her own. Max sat next to Simon while CC took a seat directly across from him. She flashed an amused look at him, silently telling him that she was going to win.

 

Continued

send coments to yomavis@email.com

for updates, previews & the wednesday afternoon series join my egroup

yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

 


Return to The Bard's Corner