FIELDER’S CHOICE

By Mavis Applewater

September 2002

Disclaimers: Yes, I know who they look like, and trust me, it isn’t them. This story and its characters are the sole possession of the author and may not be reproduced, posted, or sold without the author’s permission. So there! This story contains a loving sexual relationship between two consenting adult women. If for any reason, real or imagined, you are uncomfortable or uninterested in reading such material, then you and I have absolutely nothing in common. So do us all a favor and do not read this story or anything else I have ever written. If for any reason it is illegal for you to view such material, you have my sympathy, but do me a favor and do not read this story until it is no longer a crime for you to do so. The charm school rules were taken from the AAGBL rules that are on display at The Baseball Hall Of Fame. The team used in this story was never a part of AAGBL. Why did they never give Gabrielle’s horse a name? And would Argo have been jealous if they did?

As always, this is for Heather.

 

PART ONE

1953 - St. Louis Missouri

Bobbie stepped off the train and stretched her tired body. She felt like she’d been traveling forever. In truth she’d only been trapped on the smelly train for three days. She grasped her battered suitcase and makeup case tightly as she made her way through the busy depot. It was the start of a new season and Bobbie was eager to begin. It was her fourth season playing for St. Louis Sirens and she felt certain that this would be the year they finally won the pennant.

Of course the excitement was dimmed by the familiar rumors that this would be the last season of the AAGBL. The rumors of the league breakup had been looming over the women since its’ start back in the forties. Bobbie knew in her heart that someday the league would disappear and be forgotten by everyone except the women who endured sleeping on the crowded smelly old buses just to make it to the game on time.

Bobbie could never forget the first game she went to as a young girl. Her father had taken her along on a business trip just so she could finally see a game. She had been reading about the league and her one wish was to see a real game. The Peaches had played against the Lassies. The Peaches, who at the time had been her favorite team, lost that day. But for young Bobbie it was a dream come true. It was the day she realized that perhaps someday she could have an opportunity to play the game she loved at a level she’d been raised to believe was impossible. She had been overjoyed the day the scout walked up to her after a college softball game and offered her a chance to try out for the only professional woman’s baseball league.

She put everything she had into the tryout. She’d dropped out of college in the middle of her sophomore year just to go racing off to it. Her parents were more than a little disappointed in her actions. She didn’t care. She wanted the chance to play with and against the best women in the country. Her efforts paid off and she found herself playing third base for the Sirens. She hated the names the league burdened them with, but she understood that it was designed to drum up business. The names were chosen to be overly feminine or slightly sexy as an added enticement to get men to come and watch them run around in their short skirts.

Still, with a starting pay of fifty-five dollars a week plus another two dollars and twenty-five cents a day for meals, it was a pretty good deal. That and it got her away from home and the prying questions as to why she was still unmarried. Leaving the small New England town she’d grown up in was far from a hardship for Bobbie. She had to get out before she went insane or someone discovered that her desires were definitely for the fairer sex. Out on the road she still had to hide her true nature, but it was easier for her to slip away and meet other women such as herself that would satisfy the fire that raged inside of her.

She walked from the depot to the large two-story house that would once again be her home away from home during the season. "Roberta," Mrs. Griswold, the Sirens’ chaperone, greeted her in her usual brisk manner.

The tall brunette rolled her crystal blue eyes at the older scrawny woman who still refused to call her Bobbie. It was a game that they played. Both women seemed to enjoy teasing one another. Bobbie’s goal each season was to work the woman into a complete frenzy or to get the rigid woman to crack a smile. Every season she would prove to be triumphant. She and the rest of her teammates took immense pleasure in playing practical jokes on their chaperone. Despite the fact that Mrs. Griswold was very dedicated to her duties, all of the girls knew that deep down she was a good egg who would cheer them on and occasionally cover up slight lapses in their behavior.

The league’s rules of conduct were stricter than a convent and violating them meant being kicked out of the league. To the women who lived to play the game it was a fate worse than death. "Mrs. Griswold. New hair style?" Bobbie commented wryly, taking in the woman’s salt and pepper hair wrapped in the same tight bun she always wore. Bobbie’s heart beat a little faster when she spotted Mrs. Griswold’s lips curling up slightly. Quickly the smile that was beginning to form vanished and the chaperone’s lips froze into the same disapproving sneer she always sported when Bobbie teased her.

"Almost got you." Bobbie chuckled brightly. "And the season hasn’t even started yet. So where am I bunking?"

"You will be residing in the same room you had last year," Mrs. Griswold informed her crisply.

"The shoebox," Bobbie grumbled, recalling how small the room was. Of course she knew that she wouldn’t actually be spending a lot of time in St. Louis since most of the games were played in the Midwest. Most of her days and nights would be spent on the same smelly bus that had been used since the start of the league over a decade ago. "Since Glenda is a married lady now, who am I going to be sharing my palace with this year?"

"You will be sharing accommodations with a new girl this year," Mrs. Griswold informed her in the same brisk voice. "Cherish Goodie."

"Cherish Goodie?" Bobbie blinked in surprise. "You made that up."

"Cherish is a very sweet young lady and will be looking to you for guidance," Mrs. Griswold sternly stated. "Try to set a good example."

"Oh, I’m always good," Bobbie teased her chaperone. "Catch you later, Grizzie," Bobbie added loudly before swatting the startled woman on her backside. Mrs. Griswold yelped loudly; Bobbie sped away before she could receive a lecture.

She halted her retreat when she thought she heard the woman release a light laugh. She spun around quickly in hopes of catching her chaperone laughing at her brash behavior. Mrs. Griswold cleared her throat and glared at her sternly. "A lady walks," she chastised her. Bobbie smirked before bolting up the staircase.

Bobbie was chuckling gleefully, filled with excitement for the new season and seeing her old teammates again. "Bobbie?" a familiar voice called out. Bobbie turned to find the tall catcher bounding towards her.

"Hey Sally," Bobbie greeted her teammate joyfully as they hugged. "Good to see you back again."

"You too," Sally rejoiced. "Too bad about Glenda. I mean Paul is a great guy and I’m thrilled that they got married, but I never thought she’d just chuck it after five seasons. She’s been with the league since she was seventeen. I kind of hoped that she would stay. There are other gals who are married and play."

"I know," Bobbie grumbled. "I tried to tell her, but she’s in love," she explained. She shrugged, not understanding why Glenda didn’t feel that she could do both. "So have you met the new kid yet?"

"No," Sally answered.

The two teammates chatted for a while before they excused themselves to settle into their rooms. Bobbie entered her room; it seemed even smaller than the year before. Seated on the bed that was normally hers was the cutest little blonde she’d ever laid eyes on. "That’s my bed," Bobbie informed her directly. The blonde gasped and jumped slightly; she quickly collected the booklet she’d been reading and retreated from the bed. Bobbie rolled her eyes, recognizing the booklet as the Charm School Rules.

"Hello, I’m Cherish Goodie," the petite woman introduced herself as she held out her hand; her emerald eyes darted around nervously.

"Grizzie wasn’t pulling my leg. That really is your name," Bobbie noted in amusement.

"Yes, it is," Cherish responded in confusion as Bobbie brushed past her and tossed her luggage onto the bed. "I didn’t see you at the tryouts."

"No, my spot was secure," Bobbie explained absently as her eyes began to wander up and down her new roommate’s firm body. "I’m Bobbie Cahill by the way," she finally offered as her eyes drifted to the younger woman’s firm full breasts. "How old are you?" Bobbie blurted out. She felt a stab of shame at the way she’d been ogling the younger woman.

"It’s a pleasure to meet you, Bobbie, and I’m twenty-one," Cherish explained as Bobbie blew out a sigh of relief. Leering was bad enough, but some of the girls could be as young as fifteen and Bobbie didn’t hold any interest in someone who wasn’t old enough to vote or drink. Some things in life were just despicable and preying on children topped the list for the brunette.

"So what position are you going to be filling?" Bobbie continued as the younger woman dropped her hand with a look of disappointment.

"Center field to start but I might get a chance to play second," Cherish explained in a hopeful tone.

"You should do fine. I’ll work with you," Bobbie offered as she began to unpack.

"Thank you. That’s very kind of you," Cherish said, accepting the offer as she sat on the edge of her bed and watched Bobbie carefully.

"No problem," Bobbie responded with a shrug as she emptied her suitcase, wondering if her new roomie’s politeness was genuine or if she’d taken the charm school rules too literally. "I play third," Bobbie added as she hung up the two simple dresses and her skirts. Then she pulled out her well-worn glove and began to oil it as she relaxed on her bed. "So where are you from, kid?" she asked, unable to call the sweet young thing Cherish.

"Kansas," the girl responded brightly.

"I see - the proverbial farmer’s daughter," Bobbie commented in a sultry tone of voice.

"Yes, Daddy is a farmer. How did you know?" Cherish inquired innocently.

Bobbie looked at her roommate with a stunned expression before she realized that her new teammate was just as sweet and innocent as she appeared to be. "Lucky guess," Bobbie quickly threw out as she made a mental note to hide her torrid dime store novels from Cherish’s innocent eyes. She watched in amusement as Cherish resumed her study of the sacred manual.

"I never realized that there was a certain way to wash up. But I guess our appearance and conduct are very important," Cherish commented thoughtfully.

"For ticket sales," Bobbie snorted. "They forget sometimes that we’re playing a sport and not putting on a show. Look; before you accept that thing as the Holy Grail, there are some things you should know. Much of that is pretty basic," she pointed to the long list of rules that included how much lipstick to put on and that you shouldn’t raise your voice. "There is one thing in there that you should ignore – that’s the part where it says to be nice when strangers approach you because they’re just eager fans. If some guy gets out of line with you, and trust me they will, acting like a lady won’t save you," she cautioned the naïve farm girl.

"I don’t understand," Cherish responded with a wide-eyed innocence.

"Some men don’t like to take ‘no’ for answer," Bobbie tried to explain without upsetting the younger woman. "If someone tries to take advantage of you or touch you without you wanting them to, then you should scream your head off, hit them, and get away from them any way that you can."

"You mean like a masher?" she whispered in a frightened tone. "I’ve heard about them."

"You didn’t get off that farm very much, did you?" Bobbie noted agonizingly, already planning on staying as close to the girl as possible. ‘For her own safety,’ Bobbie lied to herself as she once again found herself stealing a glance at her breasts.

 

PART TWO

Bobbie was trying to read as the bus rumbled along, bouncing harshly whenever it made contact with the smallest bump in the road. The first month of the season had going very well for the team as they found themselves in second place. The only trouble seemed to come from Cherish. The blonde seemed to attract it at every turn. It wasn’t Cherish's fault; she was just too naïve for her own good. She actually fell for the lame excuses men would hand her to get her alone. Fortunately Cherish was always under Bobbie’s watchful eye and the brunette managed to jump in to save her every time.

Cherish was the shyest sweetest person Bobbie had ever encountered. The young thing wouldn’t even get changed in front of her or anyone else. That little habit was a major disappointment for the frustrated Bobbie. Cherish would turn ashen whenever anyone released the mildest of curses. Bobbie took pleasure in swearing in front of the sweet farm girl just to watch her blush or turn pale. It was a mean thing to do but somehow Bobbie couldn’t help it. She loved to embarrass the younger girl. She would even strip naked in front of her under the guise of getting ready for bed, just so she could watch the blonde turn beet red and do anything to avoid looking at Bobbie’s naked body. The brunette found it hard to believe at times that the innocent blonde was only two years younger than herself.

Cherish may have been clueless to the ways of the world and the way she could make Bobbie’s body hum with desire but she was a talented athlete. She proved to be a major asset for the Sirens, catching anything that came at her. Her hitting was proving to be just as solid. "What are you reading?" Cherish inquired innocently as Bobbie closed the cheap novel that she’d torn the provocative cover from.

"Just a book," Bobbie responded with a shrug.

"Can I borrow one of your books?" Cherish inquired as she reached for the small stack Bobbie kept nearby, away from prying eyes.

"No," Bobbie responded firmly as she swatted Cherish's eager little hands away.

"But you have so many. I just want one," Cherish protested as her brow crinkled. "They must be good from the way you just tear into them."

‘Oh boy! How do I get out of this one? Of course they’re good and they’re the only source of entertainment I have since I’m stuck with you twenty-four hours a day.’ Her mind raced as Cherish leaned into her body. "You wouldn’t like them," Bobbie explained carefully. "They have a lot of cursing in them," she lied, hoping to deter her roommate’s interest.

"Oh." Cherish nodded, seeming to accept Bobbie’s explanation.

"Why don’t we talk about tomorrow’s game?" Bobbie suggested, hoping to placate the inquisitive blonde.

They fell into an easy banter and some of the other players joined in as they planned the strategy for the game against the Muskegon Lassies. They played one game six days a week and a double header every Sunday. During the season the team would play between 110 and 112 games, depending on how they performed. They traveled constantly and the bus was uncomfortable.

Adding to Bobbie’s discomfort was Cherish's constant nearness. Whenever they traveled overnight on the bus, Cherish would sit and sleep next to her. Each morning Bobbie would awaken to find Cherish curled up against her body. She was well aware of the fact that sleeping next to the blonde on the tiny bus was wreaking havoc with her libido. Yet her constant state of sexual frustration was a small price to pay to play the game she loved so much and now, in her fourth season, she was being paid one hundred dollars a week for the privilege.

The conversation turned to Eleanor Engle who the year before had signed a deal to play AA ball with the Harrisburg Senators. She was the first to break into the men’s game. The contract was voided two days later and a rule was passed that barred women from playing AA ball. "I guess we should try and get some sleep. The booklet says that we should be well rested and get at least eight hours of sleep a night," Cherish suggested as the others rolled their eyes.

"Like that’s going to happen while we have to ride in this rickety old sardine can," Sally grumbled.

"Cherish has a point," Bobbie defended the pouting blonde. "We need to get some sleep for tomorrow’s game."

Everyone accepted Bobbie’s stern tone and returned to their seats to try to get to sleep. Bobbie found it difficult to relax with the scent of Cherish's shampoo invading her senses and the little blonde’s arm brushing against her own as they tried to adjust themselves to limited space. Finally Bobbie managed to drift off and fell into an uneasy slumber.

A tiny gasp and the feel of someone trembling beside her woke the brunette. Bobbie blinked her eyes open and peered into the darkness of the still traveling bus. She looked around to see that everyone was fast asleep. The one notable exception was Cherish who was wide awake, clasping a well-worn paperback in her tiny little hands. Her emerald eyes were the size of a dinner plate and her jaw was hanging open.

Bobbie snatched the book away from the mesmerized blonde. She grumbled as she flipped to the steamy passage that Cherish had been reading. She turned her focus on the little blonde who was still trembling; Cherish’s mouth was hanging open and she seemed to be struggling for breath.

"Babes Behind Bars?" Bobbie whispered angrily in Cherish's ear. "What were you thinking?"

"I didn’t know," Cherish squeaked out.

Bobbie’s hand quickly flew out to cover Cherish's mouth in an effort to prevent her from waking the others. Bobbie had no idea what she was going to do now. Even Cherish would be able to put the pieces together and there was a strong possibility that she’d reveal Bobbie’s secret to the others. "Can you keep your voice down?" she asked the little blonde with an angry growl. Cherish nodded her head. Reluctantly Bobbie removed her hand from the warmth of Cherish's soft inviting lips. "I told you not to read these," Bobbie pressed with a soft moan, fearing that her world was about to collapse.

"I’m sorry, Bobbie," Cherish apologized softly. Bobbie blinked in surprise that Cherish's mannerism hadn’t altered towards her in the slightest. "I couldn’t sleep and I was curious."

"Why didn’t you stop when you realized what you were reading?" Bobbie asked in a soft pleading tone. "You do know what kind of books these are, don’t you?" Bobbie added as she began to wonder if Cherish realized that she was reading a lesbian pulp novel.

Cherish avoided her eyes and began to twirl her long blonde hair nervously. "Not really," Cherish confessed in a shy whisper as Bobbie blew out a sigh of relief. "I just thought it was a shame that Tammy was sent to prison. I wanted to see if she was going to prove her innocence. Plus I don’t trust that prison matron or that Susan character," Cherish added in an excited tone.

"Ssh," Bobbie chastised her as she began to rub her now throbbing temple. "You shouldn’t trust Susan," she muttered. "What about the other things in the story? How did you feel about what Tammy was doing in the shower with the four other inmates?" Bobbie asked in a hush tone.

"I don’t know," Cherish mumbled as she stared at her lap.

"Keep it that way," Bobbie cautioned her as she put the book away, regretting that she couldn’t see Cherish's face in the darkness. "And please don’t tell anyone what I’m reading; I could get into trouble."

"I’m sorry, Bobbie," Cherish whispered.

"It’s okay, kid; just don’t do it again," Bobbie warned her.

"Uhm . . . Bobbie, could I . . .?" Cherish began to inquire sheepishly.

"No, you can’t have the book back," Bobbie choked out, unable to believe that Cherish was enjoying the risqué paperback. "Cherish, I don’t think you really understand what kind of book you were reading."

"I just want to know how it ends," Cherish responded in a pleading tone as she looked up at the flabbergasted Bobbie.

"No," Bobbie responded firmly, knowing she couldn’t very well tell the innocent farm girl that Tammy was saved, released from prison, and then had a little orgy with some other inmates she helped prove were innocent. "Now get some sleep. We have a big game tomorrow."

 

PART THREE

Another month had passed and the team had fallen into third place. It hadn’t escaped Bobbie’s notice that Cherish's spirits seemed to drop as well. She seemed more distant and distracted at times. Bobbie had tried to get Cherish to talk to her about what was bothering her. Cherish said that she was fine, but Bobbie knew that the girl was lying. The dark circles under her eyes told her everything she needed to know - Cherish had put together what kind of story ‘Babes Behind Bars’ really was and she realized just why Bobbie enjoyed reading it.

Cherish was distant and moody whenever the tall brunette was around. Bobbie accepted Cherish's obvious need to distance herself from the brunette. She gave up and stopped trying to get the girl to open up. She also stopped teasing her. Bobbie missed the friendly banter and the way they’d felt comfortable around one another. Cherish's rejection wasn’t a new experience for her, but it hurt just the same.

They were entering their room at the boarding house in St. Louis when Bobbie noticed the slight limp in Cherish's step. The blonde had won the last game by sliding into home plate. From the look of it the maneuver had injured her, but Cherish insisted that she was fine. Bobbie released a heavy sigh as she closed the door and threw her suitcase on her bed. "You’re hurt," Bobbie accused her.

"Nope, I’m fine," Cherish lied as she limped over to her bed and began to unpack.

"Fine," Bobbie spat back bitterly and began to unpack her own belongings.

The silence loomed over them, and Cherish's efforts to conceal her pain were driving Bobbie insane. Once she finished unpacking she slipped off her shoes and pulled off her bobby socks. She watched her roommate struggle against her pain. She’d had enough of the silliness. She threw her socks onto the bed, reached over, and grasped Cherish’s thigh.

The blonde cried out in pain and doubled over. Bobbie captured her in her arms and lowered her down onto the bed. "Please don’t," Cherish pleaded.

 

Bobbie jerked away. "Right," Bobbie snapped, fighting against the tears that were threatening to escape. Her hurt and sad reaction surprised her. Normally when she encountered small-minded rejection, her reaction was that of anger not pain. Somehow having Cherish turn away from her made her heart ache. "Heaven forbid I should lay a finger on your precious body, princess," Bobbie spat out bitterly. "Don’t worry. I’m not going to touch you, but you need to have that looked at," she fumed as she pointed at Cherish's thigh which she was clutching as tears began to roll down her cherubic cheeks.

"What are you talking about?" Cherish choked out as she wiped the tears away in an angry motion.

"You’re hurt and I’m going to get someone you trust to look at your thigh," Bobbie instructed her as the bitterness continued to fill her words.

"I trust you," Cherish sobbed as she fought to control her breathing. "Why do you think I don’t?"

"Because you pull away from me every time I’m near you," Bobbie explained as a wave of confusion rushed over her.

"Because you treat me like a child," Cherish confessed as her breathing calmed and she was able to sit up. "You know you’re not that much older than I am," Cherish said, pressing her point as she held Bobbie with a steady gaze. "And I should know if I’m hurt or not; I have a degree in biology." Bobbie blinked in surprise, having been completely unaware of Cherish’s academic accomplishments. The brunette set aside the information for a moment and pondered what Cherish had said about the way Bobbie treated her. Bobbie sighed with regret as Cherish’s words rang true.

"You’re right," Bobbie confessed as she took a step closer and knelt beside Cherish's bedside. "Will you let me look at your injury?" she asked respectfully.

 

"Yes," Cherish agreed as she rolled over onto her side. Bobbie felt a pang of guilt at the way she’d been treating the blonde. She could see that her over-protectiveness had grown out of control. She just couldn’t help herself; there was something about Cherish that made her feel like she needed to protect her.

Bobbie climbed up onto the bed, pushing Cherish’s belongings aside. "You’re just so innocent about things that I keep forgetting that you’re a grown woman," Bobbie confessed as she helped Cherish lift the hem of her skirt. "Now lets have a look at your . . .. ow!" Bobbie gasped when she discovered the large nasty-looking bruise. "That’s quite a raspberry you’ve got there." Bobbie fought the urge to touch the large purplish mark that marred the beautiful young woman’s skin. "I can’t believe you have a degree in biology and didn’t stop to ask someone to get you some ice."

"It hurts," Cherish confessed with a slight whimper.

"I bet it does," Bobbie agreed, feeling the heat emanating off Cherish’s injury. "Why didn’t you tell anyone? You know the rules. Hell, you’re usually the one preaching them."

"Bobbie, your language," Cherish chastised her.

"Why didn’t you say something to Coach?" Bobbie pressed.

"We have a doubleheader tomorrow and I want to play," Cherish admitted reluctantly. "I know that I should have slid the way those nice ladies from the charm school suggested, but I wouldn’t have been safe if I did."

"It’s okay," Bobbie reassured her. "Those gals don’t know diddily about baseball. They expect us to keep our nails well manicured. How are we going to keep the grim off our fingers when we’re playing our hearts out?"

"But they’re right about some stuff," Cherish argued. "We’re in the highest position a girl can attain in this sport."

"I know what the book says," Bobbie scoffed as she took a closer look at Cherish’s injury. Her fingers glided along the soft skin as she searched to see if Cherish had pulled a muscle. "It’s not only your duty to do your best to hold up the standard of this profession, but to do your level best to keep others in line," Bobbie quoted as her fingers began to enjoy the feel of Cherish’s skin. "A load of horse puckey if you ask me. I’m going to get some ice and Mrs. Griswold."

"Please, Bobbie, I want to play," Cherish pleaded.

"If you do you could hurt yourself more than you already are," Bobbie chastised her. The pouting look she received broke her heart. She forced her eyes away from Cherish’s partially exposed body. "Look, I’m not treating you like a kid. I’m treating you like a player, a player that needs medical attention."

"Okay," Cherish conceded just as Bobbie spied two rumpled paperbacks mixed in with Cherish’s belongings.

Bobbie quickly snatched up the paperbacks. "Bobbie?" Cherish pleaded as Bobbie held the paperbacks up and began to flip through them. "I just wanted to know what happened. I didn’t mean to take your things. I don’t know why I did. I’ve never done anything like that before," Cherish explained hurriedly.

"I can understand you wanting to finish the book. Tammy was in a very tight jam," Bobbie offered with sly grin. "But this is ‘She Devil’." She stared in interest at her roommate as she held up the book in question.

"I’m sorry," Cherish apologized. "I just liked the first one so much, I decided to read a couple more."

"You liked it?" Bobbie choked out as her mind began to spin with possibilities. "How many have you read?"

"All of them except the one you’re holding," Cherish explained with a blush.

"We’ll talk about this later," Bobbie informed her directly as she started to slip the paperbacks under her pillow. Her movements halted when she noticed that the second paperback still had a cover. None of hers did. She flipped the well-worn book over to find a busty female pirate restraining an equally busty wench. "Uhm . . . that one is mine," Cherish confessed in a shy voice.

"When did you . . .?" Bobbie began to ask, but then she shook her head and shoved both books under her pillow. "Never mind; we’ll talk later. In the meantime we need to have you looked at. The sooner you get taken care of, the sooner you can play."

"Hey! My book," Cherish complained as Bobbie stood and made her way to the door.

"You can have it back later," Bobbie informed her briskly.

"When?" Cherish pushed.

"After I get a chance to read it," Bobbie taunted her. "’Sea Wench’ sounds interesting," Bobbie added with a playful wink before leaving her grumbling roommate.

 

PART FOUR

Bobbie was dressed in her nightgown, avidly digesting the adventures of the pirate maiden and her unsuspecting wench. Cherish lay face down on her bed with a large bag of ice resting on her thigh. The small blonde was glaring at her. "What?" Bobbie inquired as she returned Cherish’s gaze.

"At least you could let me read ‘She Devil’," Cherish grumbled. "After all you’re reading my book and I’m just lying here, bored silly, freezing my . . . leg off."

"When did you buy this?" Bobbie finally asked. The question had been nagging at her all night long.

"On my way to the tryouts the train stopped and I was in a store looking for something to read when I noticed the cover," Cherish confessed in a quiet voice as she turned away from Bobbie’s prying gaze. "I thought a story about a lady pirate would be interesting. I don’t know why I kept reading it once I discovered why the man behind the counter gave me a nasty look when he sold it to me."

"You read it because you liked it," Bobbie said, finally understanding. "Just the same way you liked reading my books."

"Why were you so mad at me earlier?" Cherish inquired as she turned back to Bobbie.

"I thought you’d been avoiding me after you figured out why I read the kind of books I do," Bobbie explained apologetically.

"Oh no," Cherish blurted out quickly. "I’ve been confused about a lot of things. Being near you seems to add to that confusion. Plus I felt really guilty about stealing your books. I’d put them back when I was done. But I’ve never done anything so sneaky before. I couldn’t help myself. But I was beginning to really resent you for treating me like a child."

"Sorry about that." Bobbie winced. "If I had known I would have gladly loaned you the books."

Bobbie reached under her pillow, reached across the distance, and handed Cherish her well-worn copy of ‘She Devil’. "Thank you," Cherish said with a bright smile as she accepted the paperback. "Bobbie?"

"Yup," the brunette responded gleefully, knowing that the frown on the sweet blonde’s face was from her lack of good grammar.

"Why do you like reading these kind of stories?" Cherish inquired with a wide-eyed innocence.

"Oh boy," Bobbie sighed, feeling the fear rise in her chest. One look into Cherish’s trusting eyes told her to take a chance. "The stories are lacking, I know. But I like the way the women touch each other." She watched as Cherish contemplated what she had just admitted. "Why do you like them?"

"I don’t really know," Cherish responded in a distant tone.

"That’s okay," Bobbie reassured her as she put the paperback she was reading back under her pillow. Then she got up and checked Cherish’s ice bag. "That should do it for tonight," she explained as she removed the soggy bag. "Good thing about being cleared to play tomorrow."

"Second string," Cherish grumbled. "I probably won’t get off the bench. I really wanted a chance to play against Racine."

"You’ll get your chance," Bobbie reassured her. "Don’t forget to hide that," Bobbie instructed her as she tapped lightly on the book. "It could mean a lot of trouble if we get caught," Bobbie warned her before crossing back over the short distance that separated their beds.

"Let’s try and get some shuteye," Bobbie suggested as she climbed into her own bed and pulled up her blankets. "We’ve got church in the morning and then two games."

"Good night, Bobbie," Cherish offered with a soft sigh.

"Good night, Cherish." Bobbie bit back the smirk she always felt each time she said the small blonde’s name. ‘What were your parents thinking?’ she wondered.

Bobbie left the nightstand light lit so the two of them could continue reading. Bobbie was loosing herself in the story of the pirate maiden who enjoyed teaching her feisty wench. The brunette could feel her body beginning to pulsate. She took a cleansing breath as she fought against the constant throbbing of her clit. Normally she would be able to shut off her desire until she had the opportunity to satisfy her needs one way or another. Since Cherish had entered her life Bobbie found it impossible to find the release her body craved more and more.

Her eyes wandered over to Cherish who was lying on her stomach. Propped up on her pillow, the blonde seemed to be completely captivated by the book she was reading. Bobbie watched as her soft pink tongue darted out to lick her lips. Bobbie chewed on her bottom lip in an effort to suppress the moan that was threatening to escape. In the dimly lit room she could see the gentle rise and fall of Cherish’s chest as her breathing grew heavier. The way the light gently highlighted her golden hair was causing Bobbie’s stomach to clench. The brunette bolted out of bed and headed towards the door.

"Are you all right?" Cherish asked in concern as she turned to brunette.

"Yeah," Bobbie lied as she lost herself in the emerald gaze. "I forgot to apply my face and hand lotion," she added to enhance the fib. It was true that she hadn’t followed the instructed nightly ritual. Of course she never did. She was twenty-three and completely competent when it came to washing her own face. She just wanted to get away from the tempting view of Cherish’s well-toned body lying across from her. Bobbie prayed that the communal bathroom would be empty and everyone else in bed so she could do a little self-exploration to steady her nerves.

"Okay," Cherish responded with a hint of disbelief.

Bobbie dashed out of the room, not really caring if Cherish believed her or not. She was not about to look at that angelic face and tell her that she wanted to be alone so she could play with herself. It just wasn’t something you discussed with another person, unless they were offering a helping hand.

Sunday night found Bobbie more restless and agitated. Cherish was lying on her bed, devouring the paperback she’d returned to her the previous evening. Bobbie was tapping her foot nervously, waiting for the small blonde to fall asleep. For some unexplainable reason her teammates had possessed very small bladders the evening before and Bobbie hadn’t had the privacy to cool the fire raging inside of her.

Now all Bobbie wanted to do was sneak out the window, knowing that Mrs. Griswold was already fast asleep, and go to the little bar two miles down the road. It would be a long walk but Bobbie felt confident that she could sneak away to find a little companionship for the evening.

The Lady Slipper was set back off the main road and looked like the rundown shack it was. If you didn’t know that the dank little bar was there, you would pass it by without a second glance. Of course that was the point. It wasn’t as if they could hang a big sign out front announcing that there was a lesbian bar hidden away in the proper little community. Now all she needed to set her plan in motion was for Cherish to go to sleep.

Finally Cherish finished the book with a heavy sigh. "Here," the blonde said as she handed Bobbie the paperback. Then she got up, gathered her toiletries, and shuffled off to the bathroom. Bobbie knew that Cherish followed the ritual set up in the charm manual and it would take her a good half hour to come back to bed. First she would use the cleansing cream, mild astringent, hand lotion, skin lotion which should be applied twice, etc, etc, etc. There were even instructions on how to clean up after a game so you would be presentable to the fans. Drying yourself carefully after your shower so you don’t chafe your skin. It drove Bobbie nuts. Another thing that made her angry was when some girls weren’t chosen because they appeared to be too masculine. It didn’t matter if they were straight or not; they all had to look like girls.

Once Cherish returned she climbed into her bed and rested her hands behind her head. "I heard someone talking about the attendance numbers. They’re still dropping," Cherish said in quiet concern.

"I know," Bobbie grumbled, knowing that the handwriting was on the wall. Unless something dramatic happened, the league was in trouble. She was tired of the constant moving of the mound and baselines. First they moved them closer so they would hit more home runs. Then they moved them back to where they should be and the women proved themselves to be just as good as the men. None of it seemed to matter. When she stopped to think about these things, she wished she’d stayed in school so she would be more qualified to do more than be an office clerk during the off season.

"Do you think they’ll dissolve the league?" Cherish asked in a troubled voice.

"I don’t know," Bobbie admitted honestly. "Well, at least you finished college," Bobbie noted. "Why biology?"

"I want to go to medical school," Cherish confessed. "But when I got the chance to play I just knew I had to try. School will still be there when I can’t play anymore. I tell you, Daddy about bust a gut when I told him about the scout. He was so proud."

"Sounds like a good man," Bobbie responded gently, feeling a slight pang of jealousy.

"He is," Cherish confirmed with a shy smile.

"Speaking of playing, we sure could have used you today," Bobbie groaned. "We barely squeaked by in the first game and they wiped the field with us in the second. I hope you’re feeling better this week when we play the Daisies and the Chicks."

"How do they come up with these names?" Cherish laughed. "I was so happy that I didn’t end up playing for the Grand Rapids Chicks. That’s what the wild boys in high school called the girls. Why haven’t you dressed for bed yet?"

"Not tired and we don’t have a game tomorrow," Bobbie blurted out quickly. She had no intention of telling Cherish that she was planning on sneaking out and looking for a nice friendly chick. Cherish gave her a curious look. Little by little Bobbie could see the cracks forming in the blonde’s innocent nature. If the brunette had snuck off in the first month they roomed together, she doubted that Cherish would have noticed; she surely would have believed whatever lame excuse Bobbie handed her. Now she was not so certain. "What?" Bobbie blurted out defensively.

"Nothing. You just have the same look on your face that you have when you’re sneaking a look at those naughty books you read," Cherish said knowingly.

"You read them too," Bobbie accused as Cherish blushed. "Speaking of which, we need to get rid of them."

"Why?" Cherish blinked in surprise.

"Well, for starters we’ve read all of them," Bobbie explained in an amused tone. "So it’s time to get some more and we can’t have them just lying around. You know the rules - no drinking, no smoking, no unladylike behavior, and no contaminating other players. Those books could be considered doing that."

"I don’t understand," Cherish responded quizzically.

"I know," Bobbie said. She released a frustrated sigh as she glanced at her watch, wondering if she would be able to make it to Lady Slipper at all that evening.

"What exactly is contaminating other players?" Cherish questioned her in a firm direct tone.

Bobbie braced herself. She had feared the moment when Cherish would start asking these types of questions. She was at a complete loss as to just how much she should reveal to the girl. "Bobbie?" Cherish pressed in a very determined tone.

"Okay," Bobbie blew out. "Well, you must know that what you’ve been reading is not acceptable."

"Yes," Cherish agreed with a scowl. "I’m not a child."

"I know," Bobbie conceded while she reminded herself that Cherish was an adult. "People might think that by reading those types of books it might mean that you are . . . ," Bobbie began to stammer, " . . . that you might want to do what the women in the books are doing."

"I understand," Cherish reassured her. "Have you?"

"What?" Bobbie stammered as her eyes widened.

"Have you done any of those things?" Cherish asked in a hushed yet excited tone.

Bobbie’s jaw dropped as her crystal blue eyes bugged out. ‘Now what are you going to say, Cahill?’ her mind screamed as she continued to gape at Cherish. The blonde rose off her own bed and sat next to Bobbie.

"Have I upset you?" Cherish inquired in concern.

"No," Bobbie squeaked out before she finally clamped her mouth shut.

"No, I haven’t upset you, or no, you haven’t done some of those things?" Cherish inquired with renewed interest.

Bobbie turned away, unable to look at the blonde who was now sitting dangerously close to her. Cherish rested her hand on Bobbie’s arm. "No, you haven’t upset me," Bobbie explained in a quiet painful voice. "I need to get cleaned up for bed," Bobbie added in a strained voice as she stared out the window. Cherish gave her arm a gentle squeeze. Bobbie decided to let the conversation go and allow Cherish to come to her own conclusions.

 

PART FIVE

Bobbie and the rest of the team paced in the locker room while Mrs. Griswold and Coach Williams argued just outside of the door. Since coaches weren’t allowed in the locker room the team would have to wait until they finished to find out whether there would be a practice that day. It was raining and Mrs. Griswold felt that it wouldn’t be in the players’ best interest or good health to practice. The coach felt they could be doing better and wanted them to practice despite the nasty weather.

Mrs. Griswold was more than a chaperone. She was their confidant, nursemaid, advisor, and parent plus she took care of their equipment. All in all Mrs. Griswold was underpaid and under-appreciated. "What do you think?" Brenda, the pitcher, asked the pacing Bobbie.

"I think Grizzie will get her way," Bobbie noted with a slight chuckle. "Between the weather and the way we played yesterday, she knows we need a break," Bobbie explained as she began to wonder when it was that she started caring so much about other people. Her eyes drifted to the demure blonde who was chatting away with Shelia, another outfielder. Bobbie couldn’t help but smile at the way Cherish was so animated. ‘Oh yeah, that’s when I started to give a damn about other people,’ she noted to herself.

"I think she just wants to take the day off and catch that new Doris Day movie that’s playing down at the Bijou," Penny, the shortstop, interjected in a joking manner.

"Maybe," Bobbie noted thoughtfully.

"Yeah, but it’s not like she really gets a day off. She still has to baby sit us," Sally added. "Besides I want to see that movie, too."

"Me too," Mary, the first base player and relief pitcher, chimed in.

Bobbie looked over at Cherish who was casting a shy pleading look up at her from her position on the wooden bench that ran the length of their lockers. "Can we?" Cherish pleaded endearingly. Bobbie smiled brightly. She was about to tell the blonde that they could go when she heard a disgusted snort from the other side of the locker room.

"What are you asking her for?" Betty, the second base player, growled. "Can’t you even go to the movies without asking for Bobbie’s permission?"

The locker room was stunned into silence at Betty’s rude comment. Bobbie’s anger built and she was well aware that everyone was looking at her to see how she was going to react. "I was asking Bobbie because we’re friends and enjoy spending together," Cherish explained with sincerity. Bobbie smiled at the blonde’s confident look. Her response was sweet enough but Bobbie recognized the fire in her eyes. She had seen it when Cherish accused her of treating her like a child and she had seen it when an umpire made a bad call against her.

Everyone’s focus turned from Bobbie, who was smiling proudly at Cherish, to Betty; she was stunned by the blonde’s response. Betty seemed slightly flustered by Cherish’s reaction. "So, Bobbie, can little Cherish come out and play?" Betty asked in a mocking tone.

"Betty, what crawled up your ass and died?" Bobbie asked in a slow direct tone as her eyes bored into the platinum blonde second basewoman.

"Language, Bobbie," Cherish chastised her while she wagged her finger at her.

Bobbie smiled slightly at Cherish who was flashing her an appreciative glance. Bobbie’s smile faded as she spied Betty heading towards Cherish. The blonde stood over Cherish with her hands on her hips and glared down at Cherish. "What’s the matter, little girl? Does hearing adults talking fucking upset you?" Betty challenged the smaller woman.

"Hey," Sally protested as Betty’s harsh language took some other players aback.

"That’s it," Bobbie flared. She didn’t know what Betty’s problem was but she wasn’t about to let her take it out on Cherish.

Bobbie started to move towards Betty so she could teach her some manners when Brenda and Cherish jumped up. Brenda placed her hand on Bobbie’s chest. "Don’t," the pitcher cautioned her. "You’ll be giving her what she wants."

"Betty," Cherish began in a slow careful tone as she stood toe to toe with the larger woman, "I simply find the use of profanity unattractive."

"Listen, you cornbread little . . . ," Betty growled as Cherish stood her ground.

Bobbie tried to move but Mary and Sally jumped up to help Brenda restrain her. "Back off, Betty," Shelia said as she jumped up to defend Cherish who hadn’t so much as flinched. Betty lifted her hand to take a swing at Cherish when Penny halted her movement.

"She said back off," the shortstop warned her.

Both Bobbie and Betty were struggling with their teammates to reach their objective as Cherish continued to stand her ground. "Ladies!" Mrs. Griswold’s stern voice called out, alerting them to her presence. "Is there a problem?" Mrs. Griswold demanded. Everyone instantly turned their attention to their chaperone. Despite being released from their teammates’ grasps, Bobbie knew that it didn’t look good for any of them.

"Actually we were just wondering whether or not we would be practicing today?" Cherish explained as she stepped towards Mrs. Griswold. "Because if we aren’t we want to chip in and take you to see the new movie at the Bijou." Mrs. Griswold gave the blonde an incredulous look. "We wanted to make up for someone gluing your shoes to the floor the other day." Everyone, including Mrs. Griswold, turned towards Penny who was looking around, trying to look innocent.

"Well, then I guess we’re going to the movies," Mrs. Griswold accepted graciously yet the stern look on her face informed each of them she wasn’t buying the story. "Get changed, girls, and get onto the bus," she instructed them. "And hurry. I do so love Doris Day," she added with a bright smile before leaving the locker room.

"She made Grizzie smile," Bobbie gasped in amazement.

"Tell us what else she can do," Betty snarled from across the locker room.

"That’s it. Your head is going in the toilet," Bobbie bellowed as Cherish jumped in her way.

"Don’t," Cherish pleaded with her as Brenda and Sally held her back. "Please?" Cherish added softly as she looked up at Bobbie. One look into those amazing emerald eyes and Bobbie could refuse her nothing. Bobbie simply nodded in agreement as she felt Cherish’s hands come to rest on her hips.

"I believe I told you ladies to hurry," Mrs. Griswold instructed them as she stuck her head inside the locker room door.

The team quickly changed in silence; the tension looming over them as they rode back to the boarding house. The same mood clung to them as they went to their rooms to get ready for the movie. Bobbie’s stomach was tied up in knots. She was proud of the way Cherish handled herself and the situation, yet she still possessed an overwhelming desire to beat the snot out of Betty.

She was tossing things from the top of her dresser into her purse, keeping her back to Cherish. The hair on the back of her neck prickled. She knew without looking that Cherish was standing directly behind her. She felt a gentle hand caress her back. Her eyes fluttered shut from the touch. "Let it go," Cherish whispered against her back as her hands made soothing circles.

Bobbie released a heavy sigh as her shoulders slumped. She turned to Cherish who was looking up at her warmly. "I just don’t understand it," Bobbie said as she tried to find some reason for Betty’s harsh treatment of Cherish. Bobbie’s body trembled slightly as the blonde’s hands once again came to rest on her hips.

"Don’t you?" Cherish asked as she slightly closed the gap between their bodies by wrapping her arms around Bobbie’s waist.

Bobbie was becoming lost in the feel of Cherish’s body pressing against her own. "No, I don’t," she responded. Her voice trembled slightly and her mind was confused by Cherish’s actions. The blonde had always been affectionate with her and others but nothing quite like this had happened before.

Cherish rested her head on Bobbie’s chest. "Bobbie, she plays second base and she’s in a slump," Cherish offered as Bobbie felt herself pulling the petite blonde closer to her.

Cherish’s words rang true. Betty was finding it hard to hit her mark and when Cherish played second base she was on top of everything. Betty was afraid that Cherish was going to take her spot. "I get it," Bobbie agreed as she nuzzled Cherish’s hair. When the tall brunette realized that she was standing there drinking in the scent of her roommate’s hair she started to pull away. Bobbie’s retreat was halted as Cherish tightened the hug she held her in.

At that moment Bobbie was confused beyond belief and she couldn’t have cared less. She simply allowed herself to enjoy the feel of Cherish’s body pressing against her. Bobbie’s heart was racing as they stood there clinging to one another. She felt Cherish’s hands wandering up and down her back, slipping lower and lower with each pass. Bobbie’s hands were now caressing the smaller woman’s shoulders. Bobbie was helpless against the fire that was burning inside her as she felt Cherish’s breath through the material of her blouse. The brunette lifted her head and gazed down. Her eyes closed slightly as she found a pair of emerald eyes smiling back at her. Her gaze drifted down to Cherish’s pink lips as her lips moved closer.

She could feel Cherish’s body swaying against her own as the blonde lifted herself closer until their lips were a mere breathe a part. A loud knock on the door disrupted the moment and Bobbie jerked her head back as Penny shouted for them to ‘Hurry up already!’ Bobbie groaned as she moved to release her tender hold on the smaller woman. Cherish’s hands held onto her waist and Bobbie felt a sudden jolt of panic. When she looked down at the blonde the panic was replaced by desire.

Without a word Cherish reached up and cupped Bobbie’s cheek in the palm of her hand. The tall brunette leaned into the touch as Cherish reached up and brushed Bobbie’s lips lightly with her own. It was a sweet, innocent, and chaste kiss that made Bobbie’s toes curl.

 

Later Bobbie was sitting in the dark movie theatre with her teammates and Mrs. Griswold enjoying Doris Day romping around as Calamity Jane. The only ones who didn’t attend were Anne, the right fielder who was Betty’s roommate, Shelia, who was expecting a call from her husband, and thankfully Betty. Despite Bobbie’s new understanding that Betty was simply afraid that she’d lose her spot on the team, the brunette felt rather certain that she was going loose control and shove the irritating woman head first into the nearest toilet bowl.

The team filled the row of seats and Cherish had ensured that she and Bobbie were seated at the very end against the wall. At first the brunette didn’t understand why Cherish had chosen to sit next to the wall, but then she felt a shy hand creeping along her hand in the darkness. As their fingers danced together in the darkness, Bobbie snuck glances at Brenda who was seated to her right; she wanted to make sure that the redhead wasn’t watching them.

Bobbie was forced to stifle a moan on more than one occasion as both women’s caresses grew bolder. Bobbie licked her lips and fought to steady her breathing as Cherish’s fingertips slowly slid up her arm. The brunette’s fingers began to drift lower until they were trailing up and down Cherish’s firm thigh. As she felt the soft material of Cherish’s skirt in the darkness she could also feel the blonde’s thighs parting slightly.

Bobbie crossed her long legs in a futile effort to stop her clit from throbbing as her fingers dipped below the hem of Cherish’s skirt. She stole a shy glance over to the blonde who was slowly driving her insane. Despite the fact that her emerald eyes were riveted to the movie screen, the way the blonde was sucking on her lower lip informed the brunette that she was just as flustered as she was.

It took every ounce of strength Bobbie possessed not to simply reach over and wrapped Cherish up in a long lingering kiss while her hand slipped further up her skirt. As her mind pictured the passionate embrace her fingers acted out her fantasy as they moved up along the inside of Cherish’s quivering thigh.

A hard swat to her right shoulder startled her. Bobbie’s hand quickly retreated and came to rest in her own lap as Cherish released a tiny whimper. Bobbie turned to find Brenda smirking at her. Bobbie rolled her eyes and folded her hands together. As she clenched her hands together in order to prevent them from roaming once again, she heard Brenda chuckling softly. She had long ago suspected that Brenda was a team player in more ways than one. Her overly amused manner regarding Bobbie’s frustrated state confirmed her suspicions.

Bobbie’s knuckles were white and sore by the end of the movie. No surprise since she’dkept them clamped together for the last twenty minutes of the film. Cherish’s hand came to rest on her forearm and the soft caresses continued until the lights came up. The end of the movie could not have come a moment too soon for the frustrated brunette.

As the team stepped into the lobby they animatedly discussed the movie. Bobbie couldn’t have cared less that Doris finally won the guy; at that point she had lost all interest in the movie. Bobbie simply wanted to get back cross-town to the boarding house so she could be alone with Cherish. Fate, or whatever powers that be that enjoyed messing with her, had other ideas. Suddenly everyone wanted to go out to dinner at the small restaurant across the street from the theatre.

 

Bobbie sat between Brenda and Cherish as she picked at her dinner. "Not hungry?" Cherish inquired in concern.

"I’m fine," Bobbie lied, still trying to calm her overheated body. "I’m just a little distracted."

"Okay," Cherish said, accepting her explanation as Bobbie continued to play with her food.

When she felt a hand caressing her thigh, she squeaked and dropped her fork. Everyone except Cherish looked at her, startled by her sudden outburst. "Sorry," she blurted out quickly before turning an angry glare at the smirking blonde beside her. Thankfully Cherish’s hand had slipped back up onto the table.

"Bobbie is still upset about what happened in the locker room," Cherish explained.

Bobbie watched in amazement, as everyone seemed to accept Cherish’s flimsy explanation. "You okay, tiger?" Brenda whispered in her ear. Bobbie simply blushed and rubbed her forehead. "Cherish, are you picking on Bobbie?" Brenda teased softly as she leaned behind Bobbie so no one could hear the conversation.

"Just a little," Cherish confessed in soft gleeful tone.

"Does anyone want to tell me what really happened in the locker room this morning?" Mrs. Griswold questioned them. The response was a resounding ‘no’. Mrs. Griswold nodded in understanding, accepting that they wanted to protect their teammate.

"Speaking of the locker room, Brenda," she said in a hushed tone as the others discussed other subjects, "what did you mean when you said that I would be giving Betty what she wanted if I went after her?"

"Just that since she can’t seem to get to Cherish directly, she’ll go through you," Brenda explained, maintaining her soft tone so the others wouldn’t hear them. "She’s scared, and every time Cherish starts at second the more frightened she gets."

"Yeah, but there isn’t anything going on," Bobbie asserted.

"Then what the hell were the two of you doing tonight?" Brenda asked.

"Language," Cherish corrected the redhead.

"She doesn’t miss a thing, does she?" Brenda laughed.

"I’m beginning to learn that," Bobbie agreed with a smile of her own.

Cherish scooted her chair a little closer as the three of them fell into a conversation about the upcoming games. Even with everything else going on they were still ballplayers. The game meant almost everything to them. "Oh, I forgot to tell you. My Daddy is coming to Ft. Wayne to watch us play against the Daisies," Cherish explained cheerfully.

Bobbie noticed that everyone’s attention shifted to the energetic little blonde. News of family or friends visiting always excited everyone since they were all so far away from home. "I really want you to meet him," Cherish added hopefully. Bobbie didn’t miss the knowing looks her teammates exchanged. The brunette realized that her feelings for Cherish were not the well-guarded secret she had hoped they were.

"I’d love to meet him," Bobbie responded happily. She was pleased by the looks of approval she was receiving from the others. Yet she wasn’t fool enough to think that they could ever be open about their true feelings. And of course she hadn’t a clue as to what Cherish’s exact feelings for her were. "You never mention your mother. Why is that?"

"She’s gone," Cherish responded sadly.

"Way to go, Cahill," Penny grunted at her.

"I’m sorry," Bobbie offered sincerely.

"I was about nine when she left Daddy for some clown," Cherish explained thoughtfully.

"Oh?" Bobbie blinked in confusion, having assumed when Cherish said her mother was gone that the woman had died.

"The really sad part was I really loved the circus. Now it just isn’t the same," Cherish explained sadly as everyone choked, stared, or spat out their beverages. "What?"

Bobbie shook her head once again, amazed at how this tiny woman could send her into a complete tailspin. As everyone blankly stared at Cherish, the brunette was putting the pieces of what she had actually said in order. "We’re sorry, Cherish. It’s just that when you called him a clown I think everyone assumed it was a character description, not his profession."

"Oh." Cherish nodded in understanding before casting a wry glance at Bobbie. The brunette looked at her curiously. "It’s true," Cherish assured her. "Bebop the clown; he travels with Ringling Brothers. I can show you the postcards Mama’s sent me from all over the world."

"Sorry," Bobbie apologized mirthfully. "It’s just that sometimes I wonder if you’re the sweet innocent angel you appear to be or some mischievous imp."

"Maybe I’m both," Cherish responded softly as she wiggled her fair eyebrows. "Eat your dinner, Miss Cahill. You have a game tomorrow."

Much to her teammate’s enjoyment Bobbie had no choice but to comply with Cherish’s wishes. Mrs. Griswold seemed particularly pleased at the way Bobbie cleaned her plate under Cherish’s watchful eye.

 

PART SIX

They returned to their room at the boarding house. Bobbie was filled with desire and a whole lot of questions. The room was filled with electricity as they removed and hung up their coats. Then they set about removing their flats and stockings. Bobbie kept catching curious green eyes peeking over at her as she slowly rolled each stocking down her long legs. Of course her crystal blue gaze was constantly drifting to the blonde who was mirroring her actions.

Bobbie balled her stockings up, knowing that she should rinse them out. But doing laundry was not her top priority that evening. Cherish removed the belt from her skirt and lay down on her bed, resting on her elbow as she cast a very interesting gaze over at the brunette. "Cherish?" she began slowly as her eyes drifted up and down the blonde’s body. "I’m sorry. Do you have a nickname?" she finally asked.

"No," Cherish asserted in a playful manner. "Why does my name amuse you so much, Roberta?"

"Don’t go there," Bobbie cautioned her as she watched the blonde remove the ribbon that held her long blonde hair in a braid. Bobbie sighed as she watched Cherish shake her long golden locks free. "Do you have a middle name?"

"I’m not going to tell you," Cherish taunted her as Bobbie rose from her bed, crossed the short distance between them, and sat down on the edge of the blonde’s small bed. She leaned over the smaller woman. "Do you know what you do to me?" Bobbie asked in a sultry tone.

"Do I make your stomach feel funny?" Cherish inquired in a breathy voice. "The way mine did the first time I saw you?"

"Yes," Bobbie confessed as she leaned slightly closer to the smaller woman. She could feel the heat radiating off Cherish’s body the closer she got. "Do you like that feeling?" Bobbie asked with a slight hint of fear.

"Yes," Cherish confessed, her warm breath caressing Bobbie’s face as she spoke.

"Have you kissed a girl before?"

"Yes," Cherish admitted.

Bobbie pulled back slightly, surprised by the blonde’s admission. "With my best friend growing up. Alma Sue and I use to practice kissing so we would know what to do with boys," Cherish explained with a shy blush.

"Alma Sue? What is it with you folks in Kansas?" Bobbie teased as she fought against the twinge of jealousy she felt, knowing that another woman had pressed her lips against Cherish’s. "Did you like kissing Alma Sue?" Bobbie asked her gently.

"Yes, and she let me touch her," Cherish explained as she began to run her fingers through Bobbie’s long dark hair.

Once again Bobbie was surprised and jealous. "Where?" she asked softy as she leaned closer and brushed her lips across Cherish’s cheek. She could feel the blonde’s breath becoming labored. She kissed her chin. "Cherish?" she whispered as she began to kiss the corner of the blonde’s mouth. She leaned back and stared down at the woman who was gradually stealing her heart. The shy look she received told her that Cherish was unable to say where she had touched the other girl. "You can show me if you want," Bobbie suggested hopefully.

Cherish blushed and smiled as her small hand reached up and cupped one of Bobbie’s breasts. Cherish’s eyes darkened with desire as her smile grew. She gently began to knead Bobbie’s firm full breast. Bobbie’s nipple hardened in response as her back arched, pressing more of her bosom into Cherish’s tiny hand. "Feels nice," Cherish said in a voice just above a whisper as her hand and fingers grew bolder.

Bobbie lowered her body slightly, brushing Cherish’s as she kept her full weight off the smaller woman. She felt their breath mingling and caressing as Cherish drew her closer. As their lips met, brushing shyly, Bobbie had no idea where this moment would lead them; all she was aware of was her need to hold and touch Cherish.

Cherish began to tease her nipple through the soft material of her blouse while her other hand drifted down Bobbie’s shoulders to her back. The brunette’s lips were tingling from the shy kiss. She quickly reclaimed Cherish’s soft lips in an effort to sate her need for more. Bobbie fought with her desires so she would take things slowly and savor whatever Cherish was willing to offer.

The kisses grew more insistent along with Cherish’s touch. Bobbie suckled Cherish’s lower lip in her mouth as the blonde teased her nipple. She could feel Cherish squirming beneath her as she deepened the kiss and parted her lips with her tongue. Bobbie dipped her tongue into the warmth of the blonde’s mouth and began a gentle exploration. As Cherish’s tongue danced with her own, she ran her hand down along the blonde’s firm body.

Her hand began to caress the blonde’s thigh until Cherish yelped and pulled away. Bobbie lifted her body and looked down in concern. "Sorry," Cherish panted. Bobbie was worried that they had taken things too far when she felt Cherish’s hands return to her back. "My bruise," the blonde explained as she reached up and caressed Bobbie’s cheek. The brunette leaned into the touch.

"Are you comfortable with what we’re doing?" Bobbie asked with a mixture of concern and hope.

"Yes,"Cherish replied with a promising smile. "When Alma Mae and I did this she wouldn’t let me touch her for very long and the kiss wasn’t anything like what you did."

"Did she ever touch you in return?" Bobbie asked as began to caress Cherish’s hip, mindful of her injury.

"No," Cherish grumbled.

"I take you asked." Bobbie chuckled.

"Many times," Cherish confessed with a heavy sigh. "Then she didn’t want to do it anymore," Cherish continued as her eyes drifted to Bobbie’s cleavage, her nimble fingers following her eyes. "Bobbie, I’ve never . . . ," Cherish began to explain shyly as her fingers began to caress the buttons of Bobbie’s blouse.

"I know," Bobbie said. "Cherish, we can do anything you want to. And nothing you don’t."

"I feel so many things for you, Bobbie," Cherish confessed softly.

"I feel the same," Bobbie reassured her as she prayed that Cherish’s feeling ran as deep as her own. "You can unbutton them if you want."

Cherish’s eyes met Bobbie’s and her face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning. Cherish began to unbutton each tiny button, her eyes focused intently on the task. Bobbie reclined on her side and began to unbutton Cherish’s blouse. When the blonde tugged Bobbie’s blouse out of her skirt, Bobbie lifted her body and allowed Cherish to remove it. Cherish moaned as she cupped both of the brunette’s breasts in her hands.

Bobbie leaned into the touch as she continued to undo the buttons on Cherish’s blouse. Cherish’s hands continued to roam across her bra as Bobbie began to remove the blonde’s blouse. Cherish seemed reluctant to remove her hands from Bobbie’s breasts until the brunette tugged on the blouse. Bobbie removed the garment and dropped it off the side of the bed.

They lay side by side and began to slowly caress each other’s body. They moved closer and closer as they ran their fingers along bare skin. Cherish’s focus once again returned to Bobbie’s breasts. They began to exchange tender kisses until Cherish parted Bobbie’s lips.

Bobbie pulled her lover closer as the kiss deepened. She could feel Cherish’s touch becoming frustrated as the kiss became more passionate. Sensing her lover’s need, Bobbie reached behind her and unclasped her bra. Cherish moaned deeply into Bobbie’s mouth as she began to lower the garment down Bobbie’s shoulders. Cherish’s fingers fumbled as she slid her hand between their bodies and tried to feel Bobbie’s exposed breast.

Bobbie ended the kiss and stared dreamily into Cherish’s eyes as her fingers caressed the smaller woman’s back and released the clasp of her bra. They quickly disposed and cast aside their bras. "Sweet Jesus, you are so beautiful," Cherish gushed in amazement as her fingers began to trace the swell of Bobbie’s breasts.

Bobbie fought to control her breathing as Cherish’s hands began to tease her erect nipples. While Cherish continued to drive her insane by rolling her nipples between her fingers and brushing her calloused hands across them, Bobbie caressed her hip and allowed her hand to drift down to the blonde’s firm backside.

She caressed the smaller woman whose body was melting into her own as she lowered the zipper of Cherish’s skirt. She rolled Cherish onto her back as she began to lower her skirt down her body. She lifted her lover so she could remove the garment. After she cast it aside Cherish pulled her down for a lingering kiss.

Bobbie cupped Cherish’s breast and began to fondle it as her mouth wandered to her neck. Bobbie’s thighs trembled as Cherish’s nipples responded to her touch. She began to nibble on Cherish’s earlobe as the blonde’s hands roamed up and down her back. Cherish’s body arched as Bobbie suckled her earlobe and dipped her tongue into her ear. "I’ve never felt like this," Cherish panted as she wrapped her legs around Bobbie’s waist.

Bobbie’s kisses drifted lower to Cherish’s shoulders as her lover pressed against her. She could feel Cherish’s excitement painting her skin as she traced her nipple with her tongue. Bobbie brushed away the fleeting thought of stopping before things went too far when Cherish’s hips began to thrust against her body. She captured the blonde’s nipple in her mouth and began to suckle it eagerly.

She could hear Cherish panting her name as her hips thrust harder against her body and Bobbie teased her nipple with her teeth and her tongue. Cherish whimpered as Bobbie released the sweet bud from her mouth. Then the blonde groaned in ecstasy when Bobbie began to suckle its twin in the same fashion. Bobbie’s thighs quivered as she felt her own desire dampening her panties.

Bobbie was gasping when she finally released Cherish’s breast from her mouth. She kissed and tasted the valley between Cherish’s breasts as the blonde continued to grind her body against her. Bobbie lifted herself up with her arms, seeking to catch her breath and slow things down. Her reprieve was short lived when Cherish lifted her own body and pulled her back down onto the tiny bed. Before she could protest Cherish’s tongue was flickering across her aching nipples.

Her body arched up off the bed as Cherish suckled one of her nipples in her mouth while she caressed the other. Bobbie ran her fingers through Cherish’s soft golden locks as her lover feasted upon her breasts. Bobbie’s body was straining against her lover’s touch. Cherish moved from teasing and tasting one nipple to the other and then back again. Bobbie began to whimper as Cherish’s mouth moved down her body. "Cherish," the brunette managed to choke out.

Cherish raised her body slightly and began to lower Bobbie’s skirt. "I’ve wanted to touch you for so long," Cherish whispered. "When you were touching me during the movie tonight, I thought I would burst into flames." Bobbie lifted her body and allowed Cherish to remove her skirt. "I know you probably think it’s silly," Cherish continued softly as she began to kiss her way up Bobbie’s body. "A couple of naughty books and touching, letting you touch me at the Bijou, but I’ve dreamt about you holding me, touching me, loving me."

"I’ve had the same dreams," Bobbie confessed as she pulled Cherish up into her arms and reclaimed her lips. Their nipples brushed as their bodies melted together. As their tongues once again engaged in a sensual duel, Bobbie parted Cherish’s thighs with her own. She pressed her firm thigh against the blonde’s center as she cupped her backside.

Bobbie raised her knee so that her lover was straddling it while she guided her closer. Cherish’s thigh was now pressing against Bobbie’s wet center and their hips began to sway in rhythm. While her mind pleaded with her to stop, she massaged her lover’s ass and encouraged her to thrust harder against her. She could feel Cherish’s wetness on her skin as they bucked furiously against each other.

"Bobbie," Cherish panted hotly in her ear as her hips began to thrust with urgency against the brunette’s body.

"Cherish," Bobbie moaned in response as her body arched and ground in rhythm with the blonde’s. Cherish’s body arched up and her head fell back. Bobbie quickly raised her own body and captured Cherish in a passionate kiss. They screamed in ecstasy into each other’s mouth as their bodies exploded against one another.

As she felt Cherish collapsing against her, Bobbie cradled her in her arms and lowered her back down onto the bed. Cherish peppered her face with soft kisses. "That was incredible," the blonde choked out.

"You are incredible," Bobbie responded as she caressed her body.

"Bobbie, is it normal to want more even after something so amazing?" Cherish asked as her hands began to roam along the curves of Bobbie’s body.

"Yes," Bobbie moaned as she felt herself melting into the blonde’s touch. "But we should stop," Bobbie uttered reluctantly.

"Why?" Cherish asked in confused frustration.

"Because right now you can walk away still innocent," Bobbie said, trying to reason with her.

"I don’t want to walk away," Cherish reassured her firmly. "Do you?"

Bobbie stared down into Cherish’s passion-filled eyes and found her answer. "No," Bobbie admitted as she ran her fingers along Cherish’s cherubic face. Bobbie brushed away her fears and doubts as she lowered her body and began to kiss her way down Cherish’s body. She savored each moment as she felt her lover’s passion caressing her body. She playfully dipped her tongue in and out of Cherish’s navel causing the blonde to giggle. Then she ran her tongue along the waistband of her panties as she caressed her thighs.

Bobbie took her time lowering the cotton panties down her lover’s body as she drank in the sight of her newly exposed flesh and listened to her whimpers of desire. Bobbie gasped when she removed Cherish’s underwear and looked down upon her lover’s glorious naked form. Bobbie cast aside Cherish’s underwear before removing her own. She smiled as she watched Cherish’s eyes drink in her body.

Bobbie knelt down on the small bed that was not designed for two people and began to kiss her way up Cherish’s quivering thighs. She nestled herself between Cherish’s thighs and then draped the blonde’s legs over her shoulders. The musky aroma of her lover’s arousal filled her senses as she began to lick the passion from the inside of the blonde’s thighs.

Cherish’s wetness caressed her cheek as she moved closer to the source of the blonde’s passion. Bobbie blew a gentle breath across the damp blonde curls. "What are you . . .?" Cherish began to question as Bobbie dipped her tongue into her wetness. Her body arched up off the bed. Bobbie held her steady as she ran her tongue along her sex. "Is that your tongue?" Cherish asked as Bobbie began to flicker the appendage across her clit.

"Uhm hmm," Bobbie moaned before she suckled the throbbing nub in her mouth.

Bobbie teased Cherish’s throbbing clit with her teeth and her tongue as Cherish clutched at the bedding. Bobbie took her lover harder, fighting against her need to be inside of her. She felt Cherish’s body trembling against her skin. Bobbie’s rhythm increased as she drove the blonde nearer to the edge. Cherish’s body was covered in a sheen of sweat as it arched higher. Thankfully the blonde had the sense to bury her face in her pillow as she screamed out in pleasure. Bobbie was certain by the way Cherish’s body was clenching her own that her cries would have woke up the entire household.

Bobbie gently lowered her lover’s spent body down onto the bed, crawled up, and wrapped her long arms around the smaller woman. She held and kissed Cherish as her body continued to tremble with pleasure. "We should try and get some sleep. We have a game tomorrow," Bobbie said reluctantly once she felt Cherish’s breathing even out.

Bobbie leaned down to kiss her lover goodnight. "Stay?" Cherish invited her.

"Yes," Bobbie agreed with a promising kiss. They curled up under the covers and Bobbie wrapped Cherish up in her arms.

"Bobbie?" Cherish asked, her breath caressing Bobbie’s neck as she spoke.

"Yes?" Bobbie responded as her body tingled from the feel of Cherish’s naked body pressed against her own.

"There was something in one of the books . . . ," Cherish said in a breathy tone as her hand drifted down between them. "It sounded really nice," Cherish continued as she began to kiss Bobbie’s neck and her fingers began to tease the curls of the brunette’s mound. Bobbie’s thighs parted as Cherish’s fingers journeyed lower. Bobbie moaned when Cherish’s fingers gently explored her slick folds. Bobbie parted herself even further as she felt Cherish’s fingertips gliding across her clit. She clung to her lover as Cherish’s fingers teased and stroked the aching nub. Bobbie’s hips thrust up off the bed as her lover entered her. Cherish’s fingers moved with a shy slowness at first as her thumb teased her clit. The blonde fumbled occasionally but soon Bobbie was moaning and thrusting with pleasure as Cherish plunged in and out of her wetness. All too soon it was Bobbie’s turn to bury her face in a pillow as she cried out in pleasure.

When she felt Cherish’s fingers retreating, Bobbie gently clasped her wrist and kept her inside of her while the last waves of ecstasy slipped through her trembling body. As the last of the aftershocks dissipated, she released Cherish’s hand. The blonde was smiling with a look of amazement. "That was nice," Bobbie said softly before placing a gentle kiss on Cherish’s lips.

Cherish curled back up in her arms as Bobbie’s breathing steadied. "Cherish, what are you going to do after the season is over?" Bobbie asked the woman nestled in her arms, fearing the answer.

"I don’t know," Cherish answered softly. "I was planning on going home."

"Oh," Bobbie responded in disappointment.

"But now I’m waiting for a certain third base player to ask me to join her for the off season," Cherish explained as she nestled closer.

"I usually travel around and get a job somewhere," Bobbie explained with a shy smile. "Now I don’t know. Where would you like to go?"

"Are you asking me to join you?" Cherish teased her.

"Cherish, will you stay with me after the season is over?" Bobbie asked as her eyes drifted shut.

"Yes," Cherish agreed.

 

The End

 


Return to The Bard's Corner