Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: Nope, none, nada…

Violence: None

Language: Mild

Spoilers:

Other: Part Forty-five in the series "Raising Melosa". Takes place a week after "A Conversation with Ares"

 

Behind Every Good Warrior…

By T.Novan

 

 

 

I rolled over reaching out for her. Once again I found the bed empty. I sighed as I ran my hand over the pillow where Xena’s head should be resting. "Miss you love." I sat up, running my fingers through my hair trying to wake up when the door adjoining my room opened.

Kai peered in at me. "You up?"

"Almost. Come on in."

He slowly walked over, taking a seat next to me on the bed. "I miss them."

"I do too." I wrapped my arm around my son’s shoulder and kissed his forehead.

"Who would have thought I’d ever miss Mel?"

"Ah well you never know who you might miss until they’re not around anymore.

"I even miss her stupid bird."

I held him close. "Everything will be okay Kai. We’ll make everything okay."

"How much longer is Mom going to be in jail? It’s been almost a week."

"I know. I have to wait for the records from the village."

"Can I see her today?"

"Kai you don’t want to go there."

"Yes I do. I miss her and I want to see her. Please?"

I nodded and relented to my son. "All right…all right…for a few moments."

 

 

Kai took a deep breath and stared at the heavy door that separated him from his mother.

"Are you sure?" I stoked my hands through his hair.

He swallowed hard and nodded.

Ep smiled at me as she stepped aside and allowed the jailer to unlock the door. Xena turned from her position by the window and opened her arms to our son. His hesitation was over as he ran into her arms and found himself engulfed in a hug. I paused outside the door turning to Ep. She smiled again. "How’s she doing?"

"Not too bad considering. Do have any idea how many dirty jokes she knows?"

"Yeah I’ve heard a few."

"Well I’ve heard more than a few." Ep grinned at me. "Some of them are really…um…interesting."

"I’m sure. Have you had any problems?"

"Well we had a little altercation with the night jailer. He tried to tell me I couldn’t talk to her. I convinced him otherwise." She flexed her hand in and out of a fist a few times.

"Ep, try not to beat up the jailers."

"He was being a horse’s ass. He deserved it."

"Just be careful. I don’t want to have to try and get the entire amazon nation out of jail."

"Yes Your Majesty." She smirked and gave me a halfhearted bow.

"Oh stop!" I turned and went into the cell. Xena looked at me as she continued to hug Kai close.

"Hiya Warrior. Hear you’ve been telling dirty jokes to your guard."

"Just trying to see if I can make an amazon blush."

"And?"

"Yeah Ep has two or three shades of red I’ve never really seen before."

I moved to her and wrapped my arm around her, enclosing both my warrior and my son in a hug. "Proud of yourself aren’t you?" I kissed her jaw.

"Pretty much yeah." She stepped back and looked down at Kai. "And how are you doing?"

"I miss you."

"Miss you too buddy. Listen when your Mom gets me out of here and we get home whaddya say we go fishing."

"Sounds great." He smiled at her and then began looking around the cell. "Kinda nasty isn’t it?"

"Well son that’s why they call it jail. You’re not suppose to enjoy it."

"I guess." He sat down on the bed, running his hand over the quilt. "Hmmm got your favorite blanket I see." He smiled at her.

"Yup, you’re mom takes good care of me." She turned to me and pulled me into her arms. "Speaking of which." She ducked her head down and kissed me. A kiss I most certainly wasn’t expecting, but which I enjoyed immensely. She drew back and smiled. "Miss you."

"Well yeah, I guess so."

"Any word from Eph?"

"Not yet but it shouldn’t be too much longer…another day or two."

"I hope she gets here before they decide to start a trial."

"Oh I’ve managed to put a halt to that for the time being too. Told them you had to wait on your amazon counsel to arrive."

"I knew there was a reason I married you. Not only are you beautiful, but you’ve got a brain too."

"Thanks for the confidence."

"My life is in your hands Ri. I know you’re going to do everything possible." She turned to Kai. "Pay attention here buddy she’s going to teach you how to out maneuver an entire government." She knelt down next to the bed, laying her hand on his leg. "I think you should go now. Let Aunt Ep take you back to the palace, okay?"

He nodded as she wrapped his arms around her neck. "I love you Mom."

"Ah I love you too buddy. I’ll be home soon. I promise."

I called for Ep and asked her to take Kai back to the palace with his sisters and to stay with them until I got back. She took him and as the door slammed shut again I turned to my consort. "Now how are you really?"

"I’m okay Ri." She sat down on the bed took my hands looking up at me. "You know me and jail… been there, done that. How are you doing?"

"Things are a little tense. The Governor is being a pain in my backside. The moron apparently thinks I still intend to sign a treaty."

"Remember Ri he’s under Ares’ influence. He just may not be able to grasp why you don’t want to sign the treaty. Be careful."

"Oh I am. I have two dozen guards that keep me safe at every turn."

"I’m glad someone is." She dropped her head and stared at the floor. Oh, me and my big mouth.

"Oh Xena I didn’t mean it like that." I knelt down and lifted her head. "I’m sorry love, that didn’t come out right."

"It’s okay Ri. No harm to be had in the truth."

"Okay just stop this. What’s happening here is way out of your control…"

"I could have fought it."

"Umm-hmm and gotten yourself killed. In case you haven’t noticed darling we’re out numbered about a thousand to one here. This time warrior we have to do it diplomatically."

"Well love you know what a diplomat is don’t you?"

"What?"

"Someone who can tell you to go to Tartarus and make you look forward to the trip. You’re just the person for that job."

"Your confidence in me is truly inspiring."

 

 

I sat at the table with the children. They all picked at their meals and were far too quiet. I never thought there would be a day when I was wishing for the loud chatter of my children.

"Kessa where did Marta take you today?"

"We went to the market."

"Did you have a good time?"

"Would have had a better time if you and Mom had taken us."

"I know honey and I promise you just as soon as we get her home…"

"She’s not coming home." Rosa said, so softly I barely heard her. I got up and moved to my daughter who was quietly crying.

"Of course she’s coming home sweetheart."

She shook her head and looked to me. "I heard two men talking in the market today. They said that as soon as she was found guilty she would get hung. They’re gonna kill her."

"No…no…they’re not. We’re going to bring her home and everything with be fine." I hugged her close to try and reassure her. "Everything will be fine. As soon as Aunt Eph gets here we’re going to get her out." She nodded and gave me a hug. I held her for a long moment. "It’s going to be all right." I whispered again. More for myself than her I think.

 

 

The pounding on my door in the very early hours of the morning did nothing for my frame of mind until I managed to get myself up and open the door to find a grinning Ephiny. Without a word I just threw my arms around her. She dropped the bag she had been holding and returned my embrace.

"Can’t let you two go anywhere." She whispered in my ear with a soft laugh.

I realized now that I was crying for the first time since this whole thing started. It just felt so good to know that help had arrived. At least help that I trusted completely.

"Hey, hey." She backed me into the room and closed the door. "It’s going to be all right."

I was so nice to hear someone besides myself say that.

"We’re here to spring your consort Your Majesty." She pulled back and smiled at me as she wiped my tears away.

"We?"

"Come with me." She retrieved her bag and then she led me to the window and pushed the shutters open. I shook my head as my eyes took in the sight before me. Amazon troops as far as the eye could see.

"Ephiny…"

"Between all the tribes, the centaurs and most of the villages surrounding our land we have a force of about three thousand out there. If your plan doesn’t work, I have one of my own and it doesn’t include a whole lot of talking."

I turned to her and smiled. "Eph…I’m not saying it won’t come to that and the Gods know I’ll do whatever I have to do to get Xena home, but we have to be careful here. Ares is involved and he would just be thrilled if he got a war started from all of this."

She pulled the shutters closed and smiled. "Well we’ll try it your way first." She handed me the bag. "Here are the records you requested."

"Thanks, I hope this does the trick."

"Well I brought just about everything I could find relating to Xena. I’m sure that what you need is in there."

"Good. Now all I have to do is get past Ares’ influence and convince the idiot Governor to let her go."

"What is Ares up to anyhow? All your note said was that Xena had been arrested, you needed the records and that you would be late getting back."

"He’s after Mel."

"Mel? Is he out of his mind? Xena will kill him…well she’ll try anyhow."

"Exactly. That’s why he had her arrested. He just wasn’t counting on one thing."

"What’s that?’

"Both of Mel’s mothers have claws."

 

 

The garden was beautiful and it was nice to be out in the sun for a few moments. I had been spending most of my time between the palace and the jail. There were a couple of trips to see Mel but I knew she was safe and it was just best not to lead Ares to her so I left her in the capable hands of her guardians.

The Governor smiled as Eph and I approached. "Your Majesty. Good morning."

"Good morning Governor. Here are the records I sent for." I handed him the scrolls. "As you can see they plainly state that Xena is not only a member of the amazon nation, but my consort and champion and as such she is to be granted diplomatic immunity."

He read the scrolls slowly and sighed as he re-rolled them. "Your Majesty. The crimes of which Xena has been charged, happened long before she became a member of your nation or before you were married."

"Exactly…almost twenty-five seasons or more. This is completely ridiculous."

"There is no time limit on cold blooded murder Your Majesty."

I stiffened as I approached him. "Look," I growled. "These charges are a complete crock and you and I both know it. Now I want her released and I want the charges dropped…or I may have to resort to other measures."

"Other measures?"

I raised my hand, three dozen amazon warriors stepped out of various places they had been concealed through out the garden. The Governor looked round and swallowed nervously. "Now you can sign her release…or I can take it up with your…successor."

 

TBC…


Return to The Bard's Corner