Blood Red Scream

Disclaimers: The characters of Xena and Gabrielle may belong to MCA Universal but their souls live on in this uber story. No copyrights were trashed or stolen, because, besides physical characteristics, this story is all mine.

Violence, Subtext, etc etc: There is lots of violence here and strong language. This story may not be for all readers. I'd rate it an R so far because of the language. As for subtext, yes, it's actually maintext. So if this offends you or is illegal where you live please return to the Fanfic Index and choose another story.

Author's Note: Feedback is welcomed at Tragedy88@goplay.com

 

Part Two- "Dance of Death"

Chapter Five

 

"Where to?" The cabby asked cheerfully.

Taylor poked the gun unmercifully into the ribcage of the man seated next to her.

"AA Enterprises." He hissed through clenched teeth. Fucking little bitch, she'll get what's comin' to her. One way or another.

Darion and Taylor raised startled eyebrows and looked at one another simultaneously. AA Enterprises?

Shit, fucking, shit... Taylor squirmed in her seat, wishing desperately that she could stop and pop about a dozen pain pills. She was dizzy and nauseous. The race down the hallway had not been a good thing.

Darion kept a tight grip on the arm of the second man, while she gazed distractedly out the cab window. AA... Angel... fuckin' bitch keeps coming back...

Angel and Adam... For a long time the corporation had been thought to be owned by a single man, Adam Angel. Or by a group named Angel Adam. It hadn't been cleared up until AA Enterprises had started buying up every available property and business, and had come into the presses as the next multi-billion dollar company.

They had demolished abandoned buildings, brought up children's centers, clinics, and stuff, in their places. It was hard to pin a monopoly on services that helped the community, and brought in good money.

Questions did pop up, but quickly disappeared.

They looked legit on the surface, they covered greed well. Covered the fact that in less then a year they'd have bought all of NYC and it's surrounding suburbs. God knows what other stuff they held in and out of country.

This thing was bigger then Darion had expected. And Taylor probably knew all about it. She glanced over at the haggard profile. How could you? Part of her demanded. How could you not? Another part sighed. Taylor's face was pale, a light sheen of sweat building on her upper lip. She looked exhausted, and determined. The dark haired woman wanted nothing more then to throw the men that sat between them out the cab door, and wrap her arms around Taylor.

What's stopping you? A little voice demanded. I'm a cop, Goddammit. So fucking what? That point had seemed to matter little in the last couple of days. She hadn't even called in sick. Doug is gonna clean the floor with my face. Is it worth it? YES! She screamed, Taylor's worth it all.

How can you be so fucking sure? Oh, just shut the fuck up.

"Here you are." The cabby said.

Darion grumbled as she pulled her charge from the car. The second man followed, with Taylor almost kicking him out. She threw a wad of crumpled, still wet bills into his window without saying a word.

They began a slow march to the oversized glass doors of AA Enterprises as the cab driver thumbed through the soggy bills.

"Hey," he called, "don't you want your change?"

"Keep it." Taylor called back.

The cabby looked dumbly at the twenties and one hundred dollar bill. Shit, all right, if you say so. He peeled out with a squeal of tires before the woman could change her mind.

"Open it." Darion told the man, pushing him in front of a keypad, located unobtrusively in a little niche beside the door.

"Can't, " he mumbled, "don't got the code."

"Nevermind." Taylor shoved him out of the way. She punched in several numbers. "Shit." Punched in a few more. A few more muttered curses then a beep and the door clicked open. She smiled grimly. "Someone's expecting us."

The men grinned.

"Why's that?" Darion asked.

"The keycode was set to my birthday." Taylor replied quietly. And only one person knows what that is.

"Shit." Darion muttered and shoved the men into the dark interior.

"Soo glad you could make it." The rich, deep voice purred from the shadows.

They all jumped.

"If you would follow me." The voice had it's seductive charms.

But Taylor didn't move. She grabbed Darion's wrist as the two men started forward into the shadows.

"Taylor, I'm disappointed my messenger boy never gave you my message. I so wanted to hear of your reaction. But perhaps it just wasn't time. The Fates have a way of showing us our destinies, sooner or later."

The voice wrapped around her, settled into her soul, and brought forth unpleasant images of blood and death. "Who are you?" Her quiet voice carried over the plush carpets, wrapped around the luxurious chairs and bounced of the sterile walls.

"You know who I am." The two men had reached their employers side. "Come with me... and we will... discuss... an arrangement."

"An arrangement? You have nothing I want." Taylor spat bitterly.

"Oh," he chuckled softly, "I think I do."

From behind them came a shadow, and before they had time to react it was tearing Darion's hand from hers. She whirled around, raised her gun, only to have it kicked from her hand. It landed on the carpet with a dull thud.

"Payback's a bitch." Came the throaty response from the shadow that held Darion captive.

Taylor's knees buckled and she swayed dizzily. Shit... "Angel."

"Oh yes, darrrrling." Angel stepped out of the shadows, holding a pistol to Darion's head, obviously enjoying Taylor's pale, shaking form. "Didn't think you could kill lil' ol' me, did you?" She smiled, painfully twisting her marred features.

"But.." Taylor stuttered. "How-"

"Technology dear. Such amazing advances in the past year or so. Not that they've been introduced to the public... " Angel drawled to a finish.

Taylor stood, stunned. My god, is that... no fucking way did Angel have an arm you'd see in sci-fi movies. Sure, technology was advanced, but to this point and I didn't know about it? Inanely she was jealous. Taylor mentally slapped herself. It wasn't impossible, never had been... top secret government crap, fuck Angel had higher contacts then the mysterious man in the shadows... or HE had the contacts...

"Bor-r-r-ing." The deep voice called. "Let's get on with this."

Taylor desperately cleared her mind, and tried to focus. There was no choice. She followed Darion and Angel, catching a glimpse of deep blue eyes. I'm sorry Darion, her heart broke inside to what would be lost forever. Happiness, with Darion. Love... suddenly she realized what she'd seen shining in Darion's eyes earlier, and she was ashamed.

Ashamed for every rottenfuckingterrible thing she'd done in her life. If I could change it all for a chance with you Darion, I would, and I will... I'll fix this... she promised. I'll fix this, if it kills me...

 

 

Chapter Six

 

"Let Darion go. You don't need her, she has nothing you want." Taylor said, carefully keeping desperation and fear out of her voice.

The doors to the elevator had just opened before the assembled group.

The two men they'd previously held captive were gripping her arms. She twisted in their grasp, turning to get a good look at the 'shadow man' for the first time.

His eyes startled her, put fear into her chest and she desperately held her heart inside her burning ribcage. I know you... Taylor blinked, mentally shook herself and turned to Angel. "Let her go." She said again.

"No darrrling, she's our insurance policy." Angel smirked. The elevator continued on it's merry way. "The time table has sped up since our little... escapade, and there are a few things you are going to do for us. Adam was hesitant at first, thought we should just kill the both of you, and get on with it, but I convinced him otherwise."

Adam shot her a dirty look. Keep the monologue to yourself. "Yes," his smile was fake, "you'll come in handy."

The elevator door pinged and opened onto the penthouse lobby. They were escorted down the wealthy corridor, plush carpet, rich mahogany paneling... etc. Taylor grinned. Not a nice spot to get blood on, very hard to get out. This must be the tour, how nice. Back alley, dumpster or the harbor for us later? Shit, I've lost my mind.

Darion was oddly quiet. Her eyes skimmed over everything, missed nothing, and widened slightly as they entered the penthouse. It had a spectacular view of the city. Lights, stars, and the moon all competed in the window that took up one whole wall. To the left was an ornate desk, complete with leather chair. The walls were richly accented with dark and bright landscapes, and surreal images that complimented each other. Besides two chairs in front of the desk the office appeared to be empty.

There were two doors on the right wall, and they were headed for the closest one. They entered a room that took Taylor's breath away. It consisted of multiple work stations, with state-of-the-art computers. Two techs were busy at work. Taylor recognized one. His name was Lex, and he was roughly 6 foot of bone and pale skin.

"Hey Lex," Taylor said.

He looked up startled, seeing Adam, Angel and Darion, and the two men that held Taylor tightly between them. "Hey, Taylor, what's up?"

"Not much." She grinned his way.

"Shut up, Lex. Get back to work." Angel smiled cruelly at him. Lex obediently ducked his head back to the computer and set shaking fingers to work. Angel pushed Darion into a chair, producing a set of hand cuffs, getting a thrill out of locking the dark woman up.

Darion didn't resist. Didn't fight. Stunned at finding out, finally, who Taylor really was. Did it matter so much? She sat and searched her heart as Angel grabbed the hacker from the men and tossed her roughly into a work station. The sudden clenching of her hands, the racing of her heart, and the desire to bash in Angel's head told her all she needed to know.

"Lex has been kind enough to fill in during your absence, darrrling, but I must say he's been... inadequate." Angel's hands rested on Taylor's slim shoulders.

The hacker squirmed under the cold metal of Angel's right hand, sickened by the thought that she'd ever let this woman touch her, kiss her, make love to her. She was repulsed and ashamed.

"I have business to attend to." Adam said in a bored tone. "I'll leave this situation to your... capable hands, Angel." He pulled a cell phone from his pocket as he left, shutting the door behind him. It clicked into place, locking with a sigh.

Angel watched him leave with a sultry smile. "Alright ladies," she paced between the two techs and Taylor, "let's begin."

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________

 

Darion strained against the handcuffs, receiving an angry look from Angel. Oh bite me, Darion thought, on second thought, come no where near me if you ever plan to use your eyes again.

Taylor sat, shoulders slumped, at the keyboard. She'd been instructed to hack into a mainframe that none of the others, Lex included, had been able to get into. She refused to look anywhere but the monitor, sure that if she looked to Darion she'd find only anger and hatred. I should have told her sooner. But she wouldn't have stayed! Do you really think she'll stay after this? That is if we get out of here alive. Damn, I'm insecure. Just shut the fuck up and get to work before Angel realizes you haven't done a damn thing.

Lex darted glances over his shoulder to Taylor every few seconds. Rumors were Taylor was dead. She certainly didn't look like she was doing so well. He focused back on his monitor and his work before Angel paced back his way.

Taylor ran through thousands of numbers and their possible combinations till she passed the first security lock. It took her only a second to figure out the next one before she moved on to the third block. Lex had gotten this far, but no further. Numerous windows popped up and she blinked rapidly. "Lex," she whispered, "what the fuck is this?"

Angel stopped pacing and rested on the edge of the desk, curiosity written on her marred features. "Stuck already, darrling?"

"Not at all. Lex got here first. If he has some ideas, we could get through this sooner." Taylor replied.

Angel nodded at Lex's questioning look and he wheeled his chair over next to Taylor. "What I could figure out... " he began softly, "is that it's a maze of sorts."

"A maze?" Taylor's brow quirked, interested despite the circumstances.

"Yeah. The first window that popped up is the beginning. The last window is the way out." He reached over for the mouse without thinking, and Taylor batted his pale hand away.

"What's the sequence for the rest?" She asked, minimizing all but the first window.

"That I couldn't figure out." He admitted ruefully. "They have to be completed in order or you are locked out."

"But there's nothing in these windows." Taylor mumbled, studied the window closer and spotted the tiny mark at the bottom. She clicked on it and a password screen faded into sight. "Ahhh, I see." She smiled, the hacker part of her already rising to the challenge. "I got it Lex, go back to what you were doing."

Lex reluctantly wheeled his chair back to his console. Angel stood, bored, and began to wander the room once again, one eye on her hackers and one on Darion.

The first part of the maze was simple. She found the numerical password and the screen disappeared. Nothing popped up in it's place, highlighted or showed anything significant. So she took each window and sized all twenty of the remaining to fit in the screen. There didn't seem to be any kind of order to them, and she was reluctant to touch the small marks on each page to show what they contained. It was possible that once all had faded into view a lock would go up.

She sighed and got to work. The hacker minimized the last window; the exit, and concentrated on the rest.

After a few moments she clicked the marks and studied the results. Nothing locked up or set off an alarm. "So far, so good." She mumbled.

Darion watched Taylor's intent face, and the way she sat straighter as she sank into her element. "I want to talk to Adam." She said suddenly, her voice startling them in the almost silent humming of computers.

"Sorry, Adam's busy." Angel smiled.

"So, I think he'll be interested in what I have to say." Darion said firmly.

"You can tell me, darrrling, and I'll be sure to pass it on." Angel came to stand less then a foot away from her beautiful captive.

"No deal. I talk to Adam." Darion worked the cuff around her wrist, trying to ease it off a raw spot.

Angel's face darkened with anger. I'm going to enjoy breaking this one. She captured Darion's strong chin in her left hand, enjoying the feel of Darion's smooth, warm flesh. "I don't make deals." She leered up and down Darion's body, taking in the feminine curves, lines of muscles and exposed flesh.

Darion's free hand came up and wrapped around Angel's slim wrist. She yanked the hand away in revulsion. "Don't ever touch me."

No one, no one talks to me that way. Angel tore her hand away from Darion's firm grasp and struck her solidly on the face with her metal implant. It struck Darion's face with a satisfying crack.

Taylor's head spun away from the monitor. Darion! She rose to her feet.

Darion's head reeled back with the impact, slamming against the seat back. She clenched her jaw, and refused to cry out in pain. A warm trickle of blood seeped out of her broken nose and down to her lips. She licked it off with a grin. "Is that the best you can do?" She caught Taylor's eyes over Angel's shoulder and gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head.

Angel's face contorted in rage. "You insolent bitch."

Taylor, terrified, back stepped to her chair and sat. Oh God, Darion, be careful.

Darion took on a feral smile. "Come on, let's settle this. Once and for all."

Baited, Angel stepped forward, retrieving the key from her pocket.

"Angel!" Adam had entered the computer room unexpectedly. Angel's head swiveled to the side, savage look still in place. Darion lashed out with her free hand, striking Angel across the face, drawing a thin line of blood.

"Bitch," The she-demon reacted instinctively, pouncing on Darion, "you got my only good side. You'll pay for that." But Adam was suddenly dragging her back, restraining her against his chest. "Let me go!" She screamed.

"Now, now, Angel, don't let your... passions... get the better of you." He smoothed her hair and touched the line of blood on her cheek.

Angel caged her rage, if only in the presence of Adam. And if only for the moment. "When we are through here Adam, she's mine."

"Of course, baby." He kissed her deeply and possessively. "First things first though. How's our little hacker doing?"

"See for yourself." Angel retreated to a corner, 'licking' her wounds.

Adam was fuming, on the inside, his face impassive, stoic on the outside. Damn that Angel, she's going to ruin this yet. He stood behind Taylor, looking over the hacker's shoulder at her progress. One window remained on the screen. Lex had proved useless, but damn... Taylor was everything Angel said, and more. "Tell me what you are doing."

His rich voice rumbled in her ear and she shivered. "I'm on the last stage of this security block." She answered, somewhat cryptically.

"How?" He asked.

"Simple. Each window had a faint picture in the background. It was more of a puzzle then a maze." Hackers didn't just give away their secrets. When the pictures were aligned into the correct order they converged into one file, with a ten digit password. Easy enough.

"And now this?" Adam pointed to the last window.

"This, this is the fun part." She smiled easily.

"Good work." He praised her sincerely. "Let me know immediately when you get inside."

A shiver of pleasure traveled up her spine. It left her feeling dirty.

He made his way back to the door, casting a disgusted, sidelong glance at Angel.

"Adam."

The low contralto voice stopped him in his tracks. "Yes?" He turned to Darion.

"May I have a word with you?" She asked, then pointedly looked around the room. "In private?"

Adam considered a moment. Alright, what the hell? "Unlock the cuffs."

Angel stared angrily, then abruptly threw the key. Adam caught it mid air, and swiveled gracefully to insert the key and unlock Darion. "Follow me. You've got five minutes to tell me something I want to hear."

Darion hid a smile. Oh, I'll tell you something alright...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Seven

Additional violence disclaimer: This chapter and the ones that follow may contain very violent and graphic images. If the mere thought makes you squeamish, please do NOT read any further.

 

_____________________

 

"I have a conference call in half an hour, make it short." Adam reclined in his leather chair, and gestured for Darion to take the seat across from him.

It was six am, the sun not even struggling to rise yet in the winter sky. Darion absently wiped the blood from her nose as she sat. "I think I have something to offer you."

"What could you possibly have of interest to me, cop?" Adam sneered. He did his homework, left no stone unturned to come back and bite him in the ass.

Darion smiled slightly. "I uncovered some information you may be interested in."

Adam quirked an eyebrow in a gesture so similar to Darion's that for a split second some might think they were related. "Really?"

"Your brush with Tony Finelli left some very unpleasant loose ends." She calmly leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs.

"Those are being taken care of." His eyes strayed to impressively Jean clad legs, missing Darion's satisfied smile.

"Oh, really? Then why is it he disappeared and you can't find him?" She asked reasonably.

Adam scowled. "It's none of your damn business."

"Being a cop I've made it my business." The dark woman's eyes turned cold.

"And I suppose you know exactly where he is?" He replied sarcastically. "And you're just going to tell me, is that it?"

"It's not that simple." Darion uncrossed her legs and leaned forward.

"It never is." Adam smiled, but it never reached his eyes. "Planning to switch sides, Darion?"

"I want in, at a price." She leaned farther forward, capturing his eyes with hers.

"Prove it." He rested his hands behind his head, satisfied that Darion had nothing, and was just trying to save her worthless, if not alluring, backside.

"Finelli has made a deal with the FBI to turn states evidence against you. They've placed him in the witness protection plan, worthless though it is. I know where he is, and I'll tell you. On one condition." She prayed to whoever might be listening.

"What's the condition?" Adam lowered his arms to his sides.

"That Angel is mine." She stated flatly.

Adam grinned suddenly and let out a heartfelt laugh. He pushed back his chair, still laughing. His arm raised and before Darion could blink he'd rounded the desk and planted a gun against her temple.

Shit, not again. She didn't move. "Well, deal or not?" Darion asked, in her most bored sounding voice.

Adam's deep, rumbling laughter sounded again. "I get Finelli first, and then you can do whatever you want with Angel."

A shout from the computer room interrupted any further conversation.

 

___________________

 

"What's this?" Angel demanded bitterly as Adam and Darion entered the computer room, Darion no longer in cuffs.

"We have an... arrangement." Adam smiled as Angel's eyes darkened with rage.

Taylor looked slowly from Darion to Adam, back to Darion. Both their faces were emotionless, unreadable. Taylor sighed, I don't blame you... it's the only way you can survive.

Darion struggled to remain calm, expressionless as Taylor turned away. It broke her heart knowing Taylor thought she'd betrayed her.

"What have we got?" Adam asked, seemingly oblivious to the tension gathering like electricity in the room.

"I'm in." Taylor said softly.

Adam clapped his hands together like an excited child. "Excellent." He pulled the hacker from the chair and took a seat at the console.

Angel laid her hand roughly on Taylor's shoulder, with a smug smirk directed to Darion.

She refused to be baited, at this precarious point in time.

"Perfect." Adam murmured. It was all coming together. He'd wanted to get Taylor out of the picture, but he admitted reluctantly that they couldn't have done this without her. Angel, for once, had been right, and he'd been wrong. It wouldn't happen again. And he had the precious Darion in his clutches now as well. He wasn't stupid, not at all, but it was too good a chance to pass up.

By 9am the virus would infect every system on Earth. There would be a world wide systems crash, and he was the only one who could fix it. Things had fallen into place perfectly. Power, so much power, and it was all his for the taking.

The world would be his.

Darion could almost hear the evil laugh as Adam smiled in smug satisfaction. Her skin crawled and the tiny hairs on her arms and neck tingled with electricity. Wait, something told her. The timings off... just wait. I can't wait that much fucking longer, people!

Adam glanced at his watch. "Show time." He stood from the chair. "We have a call to make."

The second door led into a large conference room. At each chair there was a monitor, turned to face the head of the table, where Adam now sat. Darion sat to one side, and Angel and Taylor were on the other. His body guards stood slightly behind him.

He clicked a few buttons on a keyboard that slid out from a pocket under the table. The monitors turned on, one by one. Twelve faces stared solemnly back.

"Ladies and gentlemen." Adam showed perfectly white teeth. "We've progressed faster then originally scheduled." A few audible murmurs surfaced. Adam raised his hand for silence. "Project A.R.G.O. will commence at 9 am EST."

"How dare you!" Taylor hissed.

"Shut up." Angel dug her fingernails into Taylor's arm, silencing her with a yelp.

What the hell is A.R.G.O, Darion wondered, risking a questioning glance to the young hacker and the obvious distress the acronym brought.

Taylor withered in her seat. Her precautions might not be enough. A.R.G.O stood for Annihilation Retaliation Government Objective. Just a lot of big words for destroying the world as they knew it.

Adam was saying something else. "Take your systems off-line and reroute to the AA subsystems you were designated." He switched the monitors off without another word, and rose to face the window. "Angel."

"I'm right here, lover." She answered, caught in the seductive nature of the game.

"Take your precious little hacker down to the docks and get rid of her before this starts. And take our new partner, Darion, with you." He never turned from the window. Never saw the hateful gleam in Angel's eyes. Or her condescending bow.

"This way, Dari." Angel sneered, walking briskly to the penthouse door.

Adam turned then, and caught Darion by the wrist. "Come back without Angel, or don't come back at all."

She nodded and left.

 

Chapter Eight

 

This side of the docks, early in the morning, were empty. People minded their own business here, and the cops didn't bother anyone for the right amount of pocket change.

Darion followed a few paces behind Angel and Taylor, wondering what in hell to do. Her training had never covered falling in love.

Taylor, on the other hand, trudged along in Angel's firm grasp, with nothing but hatred on her mind. Hatred for herself, hatred in general for the world, and her parents for bearing her into it. The thought of taking Angel with her into the ocean crossed her mind, more then once.

They stopped in the shadow of a large, abandoned warehouse. Angel eyed the surrounding area as Darion leaned casually against the rusting structure. Angel's face took on a look of pure evil pleasure as she bound Taylor's arms and legs with heavy rope.

"Feel familiar, lover?" Angel taunted, running human fingers down the length of Taylor's body. The hacker's body stiffened, but remained otherwise motionless.

Darion cringed inwardly, resisting the urge to take out Angel right then and there. An anxious muscle twitched in her leg, and she tapped her foot, doing her best to look unpleasantly bored.

"Any last words?" Angel asked as she dragged Taylor to her feet and to the edge of the pier. "No?" She glanced at Darion. "What, no kiss good-bye?"

"Just get it over with. I've wasted enough time with you and Taylor as it is." She refused to meet Taylor's hurt look. I'm sorry sweetheart, this hurts me too, but I promise she won't hurt you anymore.

Angel just grinned as she turned her back on Darion and prepared to throw the hacker into the icy water.

Big mistake. Darion leapt at Angel, knocking her sideways to the wooden planks. Taylor landed on her side as well, dangerously close to the edge.

The dark woman planted a savage fist in Angel's face, drawing back quickly, and hitting her again. Angel screamed in outrage, leaping to her feet a little ways from Darion. They circled one another for a moment, then Angel feigned a forward punch. Darion went to block it, leaving her side exposed.

Angel laughed, sending a ferocious kick to Darion's right side.

She tumbled backwards, but remained standing. Eyes flashing, a low growl starting in her throat, Darion advanced like a panther stalking it's prey.

Taylor rolled away from the edge, and slowly got to her knees. Neither woman noticed as they punched and kicked their way around in a small circle.

Blood poured from Angel's nose. Darion's eye would swell considerably in the next day or two, and a jagged line from Angel's right hand traveled from her temple to her jaw bone.

Enough! Angel was close enough now. Lucky for Taylor her hands had been tied in front of her body, unlucky for Angel as the hacker reached out and latched onto Angel's clothing with everything she had. "No more." She whispered with a smile, pulling them both backward into the icy Atlantic.

It was over in a split second, and Darion stood stunned, as the water rippled and sealed over their heads. "Goddamn, son of a bitch!" She swore. For a paralyzed second she stood, then tore off her jacket and dove into the water after them.

The water hit Taylor like a block of ice. As it covered her head it began to numb her body and mind. One thought stayed with her, and her fingers never let go of Angel's jacket as she twisted frantically in the water.

The electronic implant sparked, arching along Angel's arm, stopping her heart. The dead weight carried Taylor quickly down.

Darkness and loneliness sank with her. Good-bye, Darion. I love you. She let her mind float into the nothingness, almost sad to be leaving as she suddenly realized how she really felt towards the beautiful blue eyed woman who had saved her life and stayed with her. I owe you this. I owe Julie, her son, and the world my death. I promised...

An image gathered and surrounded her. Trees, sunlight, oddly the smell of pine needles... She was there, as she had been before and would forever be. Dark hair flowing around her shoulders she extended a long, tanned arm. Her mouth opened, struggling to form words she'd always found difficult to express. She snapped her mouth shut and squared her shoulders angrily, an emotion she was comfortable with. "Don't you leave me." She yelled. "Don't leave me."

Taylor reached her hand out for the woman's. For Darion. For life... and let go of Angel's dead body.

"Don't leave me!" The words rang in Taylor's ears. She struggled uselessly against the thick ropes. Her heavy, oversized clothes dragged her down. Noooo! I changed my mind! Darion! Stars painted the canvas of her closed eyelids. Her chest ached, forcing her to inhale a lung full of water.

It was too late.

Darion broke through the water in clean, neat slices, expanding energy she didn't know she had. Something graced her fingertips and she grabbed at it blindly, trying to pull it even with her. Angel's pale, dead eyes mocked her.

Fucking shit... she let go and dove further down after Taylor, using Angel's body as a pushing point. The cold water was numbing her fingers and other extremities. She was becoming sluggish.

Fine strands of golden hair tangled in her outstretched fingers, and in the cloudy water she saw Taylor's limp body. Adrenaline surged through her body as she climbed back up and broke the surface of the water with a shuddering breath.

With strength born of desperation she pulled her body and Taylor's out and up to the pier. Shaking, Darion laid Taylor on her side to drain as much water as possible from her lungs. She felt for a heartbeat, almost whooping with joy at the shallow pulse.

"Come on, don't leave me now." She whispered and rolled Taylor onto her back. Lungs aching she touched her lips to Taylor's cold blue mouth and exhaled. Again. Then again.

Taylor suddenly gasped for her own breath and flailed her arms in panic. "Darion!"

"Shhh, shhh, I'm right here." Darion grabbed the frantic arms and pulled Taylor's shaking body to her chest. "Ok, ok... shhh."

"A-am I d-dead?" Taylor struggled to raise her head and look into watery blue eyes.

"No, hon. Alive and kickin'." Darion closed her arms tighter around her friend, kissing her forehead tenderly.

"Angel?" The hacker asked wearily.

"Dead." Was the simple reply.

"Good." Taylor sighed and let her body sag into the safety of Darion's strong arms. "Thank you."

"For what?" Darion wrapped her dry coat around the young woman.

"For... " Taylor coughed painfully. "for not leaving me."

"In this together, remember?" Darion absently wiped away the water dripping into her eyes.

"Together, I like that." Taylor whispered and closed her eyes against the pain.

 

Chapter Nine

 

They borrowed Angel's shiny black Mustang Convertible to navigate the morning rush of traffic, the heat turned to full blast.

Taylor had passed out in the passenger seat from pure physical and emotional exhaustion. Darion was close to doing the same, but this wasn't over yet. It was nearing 8 am, and things had to change quickly or the damage would be irreversible.

She stopped only long enough at the run down apartment that she had lived in the last two lonely years to pick up dry clothes, the laptop, and her gun.

 

_________________

 

Taylor was still sound asleep as she pulled into a motel.

The pimple faced young man simply stared at the beautiful, bloody and wet woman as she paid in cash for a single.

Darion carried the young woman into the room, then left to stash the convertible around back, and grab the remaining items from the back.

Darion closed and locked the door before crossing the worn carpet to the bed. "Wake up, sleepy." She shook a slim shoulder.

"Mmmahmph." Taylor mumbled.

"Come on, you need to get out of these wet clothes before you catch pneumonia." She was already stripping out of her own, throwing them in a careless heap as she made her way to the bathroom and grabbed some towels. She was toweling off her hair, standing in just her underwear, when Taylor moaned again and slowly sat up.

The hacker blinked rapidly.

Darion didn't seem to notice or care that she was half naked, simply threw some dry clothes at Taylor, picked up her own and wandered into the bathroom.

Taylor stared after her, mouth slightly open. Wow, nice butt. She manually worked her jaw shut and stripped out of her clothes into Darion's extras. They were way too big but they felt heavenly and warm. She laid back down and snuggled into the pillow and the scent of lemon fresh detergent.

A moment later she felt the bed shift as Darion settled on the side. "Don't fall asleep yet, Taylor." She pulled the case with the laptop onto the bed as Taylor struggled to open her eyes. "Can you access AA Enterprises from this?"

Taylor grinned sleepily. "Point me to the phone jack."

"Good." Darion nodded, considering her next words carefully. "We don't have much time to stop A.R.G.O. Will you have time to hack in and stop the virus?"

"I don't have to." She yawned.

Darion's eyes darkened and narrowed. "What do you mean you don't have to?"

Taylor sat up slowly, regarding the suspicious look. "I mean that the virus isn't going to work. Or at least not the way Adam wants it to." She amended softly.

"I'm sorry," The dark woman replied, "I'm not use to trusting people."

"I understand." Taylor smiled gently as an understanding and warmth unexpectedly passed between them.

Darion nodded, rose and headed to the phone. "I've got to get back, Adam is expecting me." Got to do one thing first.

"I'm going with you." Taylor stood quickly, and sat again as cool blue eyes said 'sit.'

Darion picked up the phone and dialed an all too familiar number. "Warrior in Athens." She said into the receiver, noting Taylor's wide eyed stare. There was going to be a lot of explaining to do later. "Trojan horse is at the gate." She hung up the phone.

"What the hell is that all about?" Taylor's voice was suddenly suspicious.

"I don't have time to explain now." The dark woman made her way to the door, kicking wet clothes out of her way.

"No." The hacker commanded firmly, striding to the taller woman's side. "Tell me now."

Darion turned, her patience barely in control. But her face softened when she looked into Taylor's open, vulnerable eyes. "I promise I'll explain when I get back." She raised the youthful face up. "You bring Adam down from the outside and I'll take care of the rest, alright?"

Taylor's mind rushed with ideas. "What if you don't make it back?" She asked fearfully.

Darion gathered the young woman up in an impulsive hug, tucking the fair head under her chin. "I'll be back, and I'll explain everything then, ok?"

"Promise?" Taylor murmured against the strong chest.

"I promise." Darion pushed Taylor back to arms length and looked deep into her eyes.

"Be careful." Taylor whispered, an ache in her heart, face cold where Darion's warmth had been.

"Right. Don't let anyone in." The next moment was awkward as they both stalled. Darion turned to the door, effectively ending the moment, and didn't look back as she stepped into the weak morning sun.

Taylor watched her walk down the sidewalk and turn the corner, standing a long time in the chill wind before she shut the door and got to work on the laptop.

 

Chapter Ten

 

Her resources were limited but she understood what Darion wanted her to do, and she had already begun the first step back in the computer room when she'd only suspected what Adam was up to.

Goddamn, I need a cigarette. She poked through the pile of soggy clothes, finding her meds, still dry inside, and a couple of crumbled bills. She wandered into the bathroom, poured a cup of water and popped a couple pills. Still need a cigarette. Do I have time? She glanced at the VCR. Oh yeah, plenty of time.

 

______________

 

Darion drove the Mustang recklessly down the streets. Traffic was increasing to almost impassable levels in some places, and it was pissing her off.

Goddamn city drivers, she peeled around a corner, down the alley and pulled up in the back lot of AA Enterprises. She parked the car, wiping her sweaty palms on her Jeans as she left and made her way to the back door.

She rode the service elevator up to the 24th floor, exited and made her way down the hall to the Penthouse elevator. A dark premonition flirted with her self- conscientiousness. She shrugged it off and let herself off into the lobby, walking with purposeful strides to Adam's office.

She entered his office without knocking.

Adam was seated at his desk and raised a wry eyebrow as she entered, noting the thin scratch and swelling eye. "Problem taken care of?"

Darion's face remained cold, impassive. "Yeah," was all she said. Oh yeah, I'm just beginning to solve this... Warrior in Athens, Trojan horse at the Gate! You're goin' down, bastard. I want to spend ALOT of time with Taylor and not have to look over my shoulder all the time for you, you son of a bitch. The anger must have shown in her face, because Adam grinned.

"Good, ready to proceed with A.R.G.O?" He turned on his heel, heading for the conference room, not waiting for an answer. The conference room was the same as before, the monitors all turned to face the head of the table. This time however there was a laptop at Adam's seat.

It was 8:51.

The world hinged on a whole 9 minutes and Taylor's hacking skills. But what had she meant earlier about not really having to stop the virus? Only time would tell. It was Darion's job to take Adam down, and she focused on the task at hand rather then a sleepy Taylor, drowning in her oversized clothes, looking extremely cute.

 

_________________

 

Cigarette dangling out the side of her mouth, unlit, Taylor was busy hacking into the AA mainframe, and routing around it's directories for something else to blow the world's socks off with. Whoa! Jackpot baby, I hit the winning numbers in the World's largest lottery.

She punched a few keys and pulled up surveillance tapes. Damn, you just gotta love technology, she grinned widely.

Mmmm, this could be interesting too. She hacked into the live feed in Adam's office, no one there. She switched cams till she got a shot of Adam and Darion in the conference room. Adam was seated at the large table and Darion was seated at the window sill, looking out over the city. What are you thinking, my friend?

 

________________

 

Darion was thinking she needed a plan and needed one fast. I should have talked this over with Taylor before I left. Ok, ok stick with the facts. They want him alive, not dead, so popping him was out of the question. Unfortunately.

She wanted to stand and pace but it would draw unnecessary attention and possibly arouse suspicion. With narrowed eyes and a feigned non-chalance she studied the room further. There was a security cam in the far corner, and nothing else but landscapes on the walls. Unconsciously her fingers went to the gun hidden behind her back. With a start she drew her hand away and stood, crossing the room to sink into the chair beside Adam.

He looked up, gave her a brief grin and went back to whatever he was doing on the laptop. "I must say, Darion, that I didn't really expect you to come back. Angel has a... way... of getting exactly what she wants."

"I'm not that easy." She said in a low voice.

Adam chuckled easily. "I know."

"Know what?" Darion asked as one graceful eyebrow rose into her bangs.

"Nothing much." He answered evasively. "But I know power. I know that everyone wants it, but only a chosen few are destined to receive it."

"And you are one of the chosen?" She asked, biting back sarcasm.

"Of course." He looked up from the computer, laying dark eyes on Darion. "So are you."

Phffffftttt, she almost said. Power is not all it's cracked up to be. Never was... "It is my turn now, isn't it?" She smiled seductively, watching as he blinked rapidly.

Still gorgeous as ever, he thought, and smiled. "Yes, imagine how awesome together we'll be."

Snap, something fell into place. Adam didn't see the startled look in her eyes as he returned his attention to the monitors and booted them up. It was 9am, show time.

Darion masked her face as an image returned to her, dim, yet spectacular in it's brilliance... Taylor laying in her arms, face and body bloody and dying... yet it wasn't Taylor. Anger and rage filled her, she clenched her hands, and lifted the slim body over her head.

"Revenge!" She screamed and prepared to throw the young woman over the cliff when a foot suddenly connected with her temple and sent them both sprawling to the ground.

"I hate you!" The blond screamed, and sent them both flying over the edge.

Nooooo, Darion snapped her attention back to Adam and the monitors. Holy fucking shit...

"It's time." Adam was saying. Twelve faces smiled in anticipation as the computer stole into the Earth's satellites and prepared to unleash a worldwide virus. Adam happily rubbed his hands together as the red bar lengthened, indicating a successful upload.

The program opened on his computer, showing his own face back at him. "Good morning Adam, ready for hell?"

Darion saw him flinch, face muscles gathering to savage intensity as he flew out of his chair. "Taylor!" He screamed.

His own face laughed, mocking him.

The monitors shut down, one by one, replaced by the program. He grabbed the laptop and threw it against the wall. "You," he turned to Darion, "you've done it again, haven't you? You and her... everytime." He cursed.

 

___________________

 

Taylor would have paid a million bucks, gladly, to be in that office next to him, laughing too. But Darion was there and now in danger. Kick his ass, babe.

She double checked the satellite feed, making sure it was broadcasting to the world. Instead of uploading the virus Adam had unwittingly started a program Taylor had created in the few spare seconds when Angel was sulking in the corner. While Adam's virtual image laughed his files were sent through the FBI's main systems, as well as the governments, and the AA subsystems were destroyed.

His subordinates were probably shredding files right that moment and throwing things into bags, hitting the runways in their personal Leer jets, to escape to other countries.

Not bad, she mused, not bad at all. The security cams went down unexpectedly, and she was left blind. Shit, Darion, be careful.

She went back to the surveillance vids, and searched through them, anything to distract herself from the battle she knew Adam and Darion were now engaged in.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Eleven

 

Darion backed up a few paces, reaching behind her for her gun. Her fingertips were just closing on it when Adam smiled and drew his own.

"Well, since the shit has now hit the fan... ha, I love that saying... you're going down with me. Hades owes me a little favor, and you're it." A pale, thin, blue light surrounded him, distorting his face momentarily till it relaxed into his old form.

Darion blinked, drawing her gun around front, aiming it at Adam. No, not Adam, someone else, someone familiar and deadly... "Ares," she breathed.

"I was wondering when you'd remember." The light faded, and he smiled. "You know, I seriously debated whether I should win you back to my side. But I had so much fun destroying Taylor's life this time... what with that whole little mix up by The Fates and all. I should ask them to mess up more often."

"You bastard, she never deserved that. Why?"

He shrugged. "It was... fun."

Darion's face lit with a feral smile. Since there wasn't really an Adam, she didn't have to bring him in... alive. She disarmed the safety and aimed between his eyes.

"Now, there's that fire I love." He chuckled. "Maybe you are the same."

"I am who I am, Ares, and nothing will change that. I've defeated you before," she pulled the trigger, "and I'll defeat you again."

"Oh," Ares fell to his knees in mock pain, "that hurts."

She shrugged. "It was... fun."

For a tense moment they stared each other down, then with a wicked smile Darion tossed the useless gun to the side and held her hands out as if in supplication to the God of War. He had no use for his gun either, there were much more... painful... ways to take her with him. With a show of pure maniacal egotism he crushed the solid metal in his hand and tossed it to the ground.

"Shall we?" His words danced around the room and flitted onto Darion's shoulders.

She took the weight of it with a low, rumbling chuckle. "After you."

Ares raised a solitary finger. "Oh, I think I'm going to enjoy this." The finger leapt to fire and arched across the room.

Darion jumped out of the way at the last second and felt it burn right past her ear as she ducked into a roll and came up beside him. She lashed out in a wide arch that sent Ares staggering backwards.

He scowled and advanced, combat ready. They circled lightly around each other in a dance that was all too familiar.

"Haven't you grown tired of this yet, Ares?" She asked, waiting for an opening.

He paused, a blank look flashing briefly across his face. "You know something? I really am tired of this. Just come back to me and this can all end, right here, right now."

"No way." She found her opening and sent a right hook flying into Ares jaw. If he hadn't been a God it would have broken his jaw. Instead her hand bounced off almost harmlessly. "Dammit." She cursed. Where's a sword when you need one?

His face darkened. You'll pay for that. And when I'm done here that little hacker won't know what hit her either. His hands blazed to life, fire jumping from one then the other. Darion managed to fall to her knees and miss the first one, but as she rolled away from the next it caught her in the shoulder and sent her flying into the wall in searing pain.

I can't let him get to Taylor, was her only thought as she stood painfully and looked for a weapon to use against the God. There was nothing. With a piercing cry she leapt into the air, away from another bolt, and flipped onto Ares' shoulders.

He grabbed her thighs and pushed off with his feet, flipping into the air and forcing Darion to use her hands as the spinning point on the floor, successfully tearing them apart on the downside. They ended in a heap on the floor. Both struggled to their feet, vying for the upper hand. They squared off and exchanged fists and feet.

From the open conference room door came the commotion of armed officers.

Ares' head snapped up at the sound and Darion stood breathlessly, waiting for his next move.

"Till next time..." He waved a hand, light shimmering around him, and disappeared.

Darion held her hands up in peaceful surrender as the cops rushed in the door. "Detective Darion Grange." She smiled, exhausted, and began to explain what had happened, omitting, of course, the small tid bit that Adam was really the God of War. Something even she was loath to believe.

On to the police station and hours of reports. A phone call, saying... "Remember nothing."

 

___________________

 

Darion staggered through the door of the motel. Taylor grabbed for her arm as she faltered, and kicked the door shut behind them.

"You're hurt." All thoughts of jumping into Darion's arms and hugging her ferociously were scattered to the wind.

"No biggy, been hurt before." But she let Taylor guide her to the bed, remove her shoes, and sighed when a cool washcloth graced her forehead.

"What happened?" Taylor asked, not really sure if she wanted to know.

"I- I don't ... " Darion stammered and rose up on her elbows. The washcloth slid from her forehead to her lap. Her faced crinkled into lines of worry and fear. "I don't know, Taylor."

"It's alright, we don't have to talk about it." Gently she pushed Darion back onto the bed, and replaced the wet cloth. "Close your eyes, and rest for a bit."

"Mmmmm," Darion mumbled, happy to comply. Happy just to be back with Taylor. "C'mere," she whispered and opened her arms in a silent invitation.

Taylor didn't hesitate to sag into Darion's embrace. "I'm glad you came back," she murmured, trying hard to hide suddenly overwhelming emotions.

"Mmmha, so am I." Darion kissed the silky blond head tucked under her chin, and smiled, the pain all but forgotten. She closed her eyes, and drifted off to sleep.

"I love you, Darion." But she knew the dark woman was asleep, and with a smile of her own closed her eyes and slowly joined her.

 

 

 

Chapter Twelve

 

"What do we do now?" Taylor asked, seated at the small motel table, crunching down some Frosted Flakes.

Truth time already? Darion paused between her next bite of bagel. "Now, um, now I need to... "

"Tell me what you wouldn't before?" One more bite and the flakes were gone, leaving a sweet sugary coating in Taylor's mouth. "About the phone call, I mean."

Darion nodded. "Yeah." She rose from the table, taking the trash with her and deposited it in the garbage. She was stalling and she knew it. What she had to tell Taylor could damage the fragile friendship they'd formed. What if Taylor left? What if... no, I don't want any of this without her...

"Spit it out, babe. No secrets, ok?" Taylor encouraged her, giving her arm a brief squeeze as she threw out her trash and sat on the bed. She patted the spot beside her, but when Darion shook her head and began to pace Taylor's heart skipped into her throat.

Darion took a deep breath, risking a look into Taylor's eyes. They were filled with so much trepidation that she almost didn't continue. Almost. "I'm not a cop, Taylor. Not even FBI, well not anymore." Darion sighed.

Taylor simply waited for her to continue and her heart to be ripped from her chest.

"After high school I didn't know what to do, and had quite a few jobs..." Darion continued nervously. "Anyway, I decided to join the police academy. I graduated first in my class. My first precinct I singlehandly solved a murder case that no one else had been able to." Her voice still held a touch of pride at that particular memory. She paced the length of the motel room. "The FBI recruited me. At first it was nothing exciting. I still had to prove myself." Darion stopped in front of the window and peeked behind the curtain.

"So what?" Taylor asked from the bed.

"I-" Darion began.

"You've been lying to me since we met." The hacker accused.

"No!" Darion crossed the room and knelt in front of Taylor. "I went undercover on government orders. Two years ago I retired from the FBI and a man approached me. He offered to set me up for life if I did one thing for him, and that was to take down Adam Sterling. So I went undercover as a local cop. Meeting you... was... the best coincidence-"

"Fuck you, Darion." Taylor leapt from the bed, sending Darion flat on her ass with the sudden movement. "I led you right to what you wanted, so you can go now. Go to the fucking cops, FBI, CIA or whoever the hell it is you work for. I'm outta here." Taylor grabbed her cigarettes from the table, heading to the door. I need a drink, desperately, flashed through her mind. Oh yeah, something really strong...

"Wait! Taylor, let me finish explaining." Darion raced in front of Taylor and blocked the door.

"You've said enough. Get the fuck out of my way." Taylor replied through clenched teeth.

"Don't you think you deserve to hear the truth?" Darion pleaded with icy green eyes, begging her to understand.

"I don't know what's true anymore." The young woman said softly, her face falling and her heart shattering to a million tiny pieces.

Taylor's pain sliced sharply through Darion's soul. Darion led her to the bed and sat hesitantly beside her. "Yes, I went undercover to expose the real purpose behind AA Enterprises, but the corruption in the department led me only in circles, no matter how close I got to those rat bastards." She shook her head and those memories away. "I had no idea who you were when I first e-mailed you. I asked you out because you sounded intelligent and passionate in your writings." Darion gently took Taylor's chin in her hand and turned slowly till they were looking eye to eye. "I didn't realize till you mentioned Angel's name how much trouble you were in, and even then I assumed you knew nothing of Adam, or his plans. I didn't use you to find him."

"Why did you stay then?" Taylor asked in a strangled voice.

"Because..." Darion began to blush, "because I fell in love with you." Furious at herself for admitting it and putting them both in an even more awkward position she dropped her hand and turned away.

Taylor blinked several times, tears beginning to cascade down her cheeks. "You love me?" She whispered hoarsely.

Darion didn't hesitate. "Yes," and met Taylor's gaze again.

"Even after you know who I am, and what I've done?"

"Yes. In spite of, or because of... I love," Darion reached up and lightly thumped Taylor's chest, just above her heart, "you, Taylor Morgan."

Taylor took the long, tapered hand gently in her own. She didn't know what to say or if she could say anything at all, so she kissed the bruised knuckles, the pulse point at Darion's wrist and elbow, catching her breath before rushing to capture Darion's soft lips. "I love you too," she whispered as she pulled away.

Darion sat breathlessly, her eyes still closed. Silence descended on the room as she tried to settle her heart back inside her ribcage.

"I shouldn't have done that?" Taylor's tears fell freely now.

Darion quickly looked up. "Kiss me again."

Taylor choked on a sob and flung herself into Darion's outstretching arms. My God, if this is a dream don't ever let me wake up. They held tightly, as if at anytime something would try and rip them apart. Any eternity passed in mere seconds as two hearts came home.

"Hey," Darion said gently, extracting herself from the embrace, "do I get my kiss?"

Taylor laughed. "Oh, you betcha. Anytime you want, Darion." She sealed her new promise with a sweet, passionate kiss.

 

Chapter Thirteen

 

They ditched Angel's Mustang and took a cab to Joey's where Darion's Jeep was still parked in the garage.

With a sad sigh Taylor watched the city sights flying by. She'd been born here, raised here, and thought she'd die here. So much had happened in this melting pot city. Her parents had died here, and so had loved ones. She'd turned to a life of crime, hacked computers, ultimately killed...

Her whole life was nothing but a backwards glance now, and she was happy to keep it that way. To leave it all behind, except Darion.

Taylor wanted to ask 'What Now' but that seemed to be all she'd been asking these last few days. Had it really been only days, and not weeks or months? Yeah, the longest days of her young life. So much had changed, she felt like a different person, but inside she knew she was still Taylor Morgan. Hacker, killer... you name it, she'd probably done it. How could Darion love at that? My God, insecure or what?

"What are we going to do now?" Taylor asked anyway, keeping her eyes on I-95 as they flew out of the city, past dead winter trees, and into the future.

"I don't know," Darion glanced at the rearview mirror, over at Taylor and back to the road. "I now have enough money to buy a house somewhere and disappear." Will you come with me? She wanted to ask.

"Money wasn't the question." Taylor said softly, folding her nervous hands into her lap.

"Then what is the question?" Darion kept her tone carefully neutral.

"I... you, um... Are you just going to drop me off at some bus station and go on with your life?" The young woman hunched down in her seat, suddenly terrified of the words she'd so recklessly stuttered out.

"No."

Taylor looked up and briefly into pale, blue eyes. "No?"

"I want you to come with me." Was all Darion could manage, but there was so much more to say. I love you, I love you, I love you... I hardly know you, yet it feels like I've known you forever. Stay with me, let me hold you, kiss you, make love to you...

"Where?" Taylor studied the dark, classic profile, heart lodged in her throat. "And for how long?"

There was a brief silence as the Jeep hurled passed a dark sedan and blinked into the far right lane. "I don't know where yet, but I want you to stay as long as you want." Forever, please?

"I guess I could stick around... until you get tired of me." A faint smile edged the corners of Taylor's mouth. How 'bout I just stay forever?

Darion pulled into the service exit lane. "Nah, I won't get tired of you." A smile graced her face from ear to ear and her heart melted into her knees. She turned into the gas station slash restaurant parking lot and pulled into a space. As she turned to face the young woman beside her she turned off the engine and held out a hand with her heart on the sleeve of her coat. "I don't know where we're going yet, and it doesn't matter, as long as you are with me."

Taylor's throat constricted unexpectedly and she blinked back tears. "I love you, Darion."

"And I love you." Darion gathered the young woman into an embrace. Their foreheads touched, lips less then an inch apart. "Come with me?"

Taylor paused. "Are there going to be computers there?" She could feel the dark woman's eyebrow lifting slightly, and she grinned. "Because if there are we are going to need a sledge hammer or two."

Darion let out a soft breath of laughter. "I'm sure we can stop at a Home Depot on the way."

"Well, alrighty then." Taylor chuckled, "I'm in."

"Good," Darion responded and bent in for a kiss. The kiss lingered, long and passionate, till they slowly, breathlessly pulled apart.

The ex-hacker turned suddenly serious. "Do you think it's over? I mean do you think..." Her sentence trailed off as Darion leaned back and regarded her gently.

"I'm not sure it'll ever be over, but together we can fight anything that comes our way." Darion traced the line of Taylor's jaw, watching it relax under her fingertips.

"Yeah, together. I like that." Taylor kissed the tanned fingers as they ran over her lips.

"Me too." Darion smiled. "So, what now?"

"Well, let's get some gas, some food, and a hotel somewhere." The young blond reached out and twirled soft, dark hair between her fingers.

"A hotel?" Darion raised a dark eyebrow, lowering her voice.

"Yup... after that we got all the time in the world to decide what's next." Taylor batted suddenly seductive eyelashes. "Deal?"

"Oh yeah, I think I can handle that." Darion opened the door to the Jeep and jogged to catch Taylor on the other side. "Race ya inside?" Her eyes sparkled.

"What do I get if I win?" Taylor asked.

"Me." Darion grinned and took off toward the restaurant.

Oh yeah... I can definitely handle that! Taylor raced to the doors, her heart and shoulders lighter then they'd ever been. Together, hopefully forever.

 

 

__________________

 

The End (?)

_______________

 

"The past may be written in stone, but I have never seen a chisel that couldn't atleast break the surface. Keep chipping at the stone and it will eventually shatter. Find your chisel and hold onto it, for you will surely need it."

- Anonymous

 

 

________________

copyright Tragedy88 1999

All previous web disclaimers still apply. As well as thanks to those who helped make this story possible and the fans who kept reading and encouraging me with emails.


Return to The Bard's Corner