Blood Red Scream

by Tragedy88
Tragedy88@goplay.com

Disclaimers: Part One

 

Chapter Eleven

 

 

Someone was calling her, bringing her back from the darkness. She pushed heavy lids up and slowly focused on the pale blue eyes looking down on her.

"Hey, sleepy head. You had us worried for awhile there." Darion looked fondly at the young woman.

Taylor coughed and pain shot through her chest. She paled visibly.

"Do you need the nurse?" Darion asked, automatically reaching for the call button.

She nodded mutely, tears in her eyes. "H-how long have I... been here?" Her voice was hoarse. Taylor struggled to rise, but Darion's strong, gentle hands kept her to the bed.

"Lie still. They still have the chest tube in." Darion's hand lingered on Taylor's shoulder, sliding down to rest on her forearm.

The hacker gave her a blank look and gave up on everything but fighting the pain.

"We've only been here a few hours. The doctor's ran some tests and did some x-rays. They put in the chest tube to drain the blood and fluids from your lungs." Darion explained as she grabbed the cup on the night stand, poured water and handed it to Taylor.

"Sounds like I didn't miss anything exciting." She slowly sipped the water. "What else? When do I get out of here?"

Darion smiled ruefully. "A couple of days. They're worried about the concussion, need to monitor you overnight, and it'll be awhile till that comes out." She motioned to the tube.

"I feel like I got run over by a goddamned Mack truck." It hurt just to smile. She handed the cup back to Darion and passed a tentative hand over the bandage on her head, then peeked at the bandage on her ribs. The tube stuck out like a third arm.

The nurse chose that moment to walk in. "No, honey, but it sure was one hell of a hit and run."

Taylor threw a startled glance at Darion, who merely raised one dark eyebrow. "I don't remember it." She mumbled.

"That's not unusual, sweetheart. Shall we get you drugged up and off to dream land?" The nurse winked as she adjusted the flow on the IV. She proceeded to check Taylor's vitals. As she headed to the door she said the doctor would be in, in about five minutes.

"Hit and run?" Taylor asked when the nurse had left. "And where's your bandage?" She searched the blue eyes that were hesitant to meet her own.

"My head is fine. Are the meds working yet?" Darion replied instead, then sighed. "It's just easier this way right now."

"Afraid of ruining your career?" Taylor asked bitterly, shifting just the smallest bit, sending a wave of pain racing through her body. She bit her lip to stifle a scream.

"No, I don't care about my career." The dark woman hesitated. "I care about you. If you think you're still in danger, it's better-" She faced the door as the knob clicked.

Taylor's heart soared into her throat, but it was just the doctor.

"Evening, ladies." The young doctor addressed both of them, then turned to face her patient. "Hey there, Taylor, my name's Jennifer Holly. I was the trauma surgeon on call when you arrived in the ER. Since you weren't awake at the time I need to ask you a few questions, alright?"

"Sure, doc." Taylor tried a small smile for the surgeon. It quickly turned to a grimace of pain.

"Still in a lot of pain?" Jen walked around to the IV, examining the chart and the new dosage. She held back a frown as she pulled a chair up to the bed. "First, let me explain what has happened so far-"

"It's alright. Darion filled me in already." Taylor said through clenched teeth.

"Do you have any questions for me then?" The young doctor carefully studied her patient, noting her pale skin, and slightly dilated pupils. She made a note on Taylor's chart.

"When do the meds kick in?" Taylor got right to the heart of the problem.

"In a few minutes." Jen reassured her. "Think you can help me out with some things now?"

"Sure." Taylor's foot itched. She doubted she'd be able to scratch it for a long time. It was too painful to move and exhausting to talk. "What do you need to know?"

Darion faded over to the window sill, and sat, listening quietly. Her heart ached for Taylor's pain and she wished uselessly that she could take it away. her own head throbbed, but she'd take care of that later. Taylor's safety and well being came first.

"Do you remember the accident?" Jen asked, tucking an arrent strand of blond hair behind her ear. When Taylor simply shrugged the surgeon continued. "The reason I ask is we need to assess the damages and make sure nothing was missed in the initial x-rays and CT."

"Dunno." Taylor mumbled. "Everything hurts right now." Her eyes were heavy, maybe the painkiller's were helping.

"I understand." Tread carefully here, Jen reminded herself, there's more going on then a simple hit and run. "Your blood alcohol level was high when you were brought in tonight, Taylor."

"So?" She replied, defensively.

"I'm not judging you ,hon. I'm here to take the best possible care of you that I can. So, I need you to help me, and to tell me the truth." She lowered her voice so only Taylor could hear. "How much did you have to drink before the accident?"

"Just a few glasses of wine." Taylor replied. She was reluctant to give the surgeon anymore information then necessary.

Jen nodded, made another note in her chart. "And before that?"

The young woman sighed and closed eyelids that suddenly felt as heavy as bricks. "Been clean for two days, I think. But... before that... I'm an alcoholic." She opened pleading eyes, passing briefly over the surgeon to rest on the tall, dark shadow by the window. She caught a glint of pale blue.

"Ok, thank you Taylor." Jen stood, clipboard in hand, making no final notes. "Tomorrow morning you'll be transferred out of ICU and into a regular room. I'll be in the hospital for about another hour. I'll be back in the morning, but if you need anything in the meantime, the nurse can page me." She shot a smile to the dark haired woman by the window as she left.

After quietly shutting the door, she retreated to the nurses station. "Maggie, I need you to watch Taylor carefully over the next couple of hours. The morphine drip isn't going to be as effective as I hoped. She'll need," Jen made a note on how much to give, "and I expect her go into withdrawal. She's in the first stages already. Clammy skin, dilated pupils..." Jen trailed off for a second, made another note, and finally released the clipboard to the night nurse.

"Activan?" Maggie purused the chart carefully. "You really think that's necessary?"

"I wish it wasn't." Jen admitted. "Start her out on 0.5mg interveniously, and page me if there are any problems."

"Will do." Maggie assured the surgeon as she left to check on her next patient.

"Oh, and Maggie?" Jen called over her shoulder. "Let her friend stay an extra couple of minutes, ok?"

Maggie just smiled. Jen was a softy, no matter how hard she pretended to be on the outside.

 

Concluded in Part 5


Return to The Bard's Corner