BODY AND SOUL


Part 2 of 2

By Kristo
Sychtech@msn.com



DISCLAIMER: The characters of Janice Covington, Melinda Pappas, Xena, Gabrielle, Autolycus and Lila belong to MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures along with the television series XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS. (Hercules belongs to Greek legend.) This story is written as nonprofit fan fiction only and no copyright infringement is intended.

WARNINGS:
  1. This story contains semi-graphic descriptions of violence.
  2. This adventure story depicts two semi-graphic romantic/sexual relationships (one between two women and one between a woman and a man).
  3. If any of the things mentioned above are illegal in your geographical area, would likely induce nightmares during your sleep cycle or you are under the age of 18 , do not read this story.
This story is a blended major revision of two short stories: GODDESS OF DESIRE and MAD DOG'S SACRED TREASURE (because they go together), unfinished until now and not classified as alternative fan fiction until now, copyright June, 1997. It is recommended that you see the XENA SCROLLS episode of XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS before reading this story.



Chapter Ten ~ PRELUDE to BATTLE

Helen and Saul Anderson were returning after an extended honeymoon cruise. The "war to end all wars" had ended in victory and all was right with the world as their limousine rounded a long curved road and came to a halt in front of the huge mansion Helen had called home all her life. She was anxious to greet Mel and Janice. She did not wait for the chauffeur to come around but opened the car door and promptly went inside her home, pulling her husband along. "I was hoping to carry you over the threshold", Saul complained to his lovely wife.

"Oh no sweety, not with your back!" Helen quickly kissed the man of her dreams and went to find her girls. But they were not to be found at home.

Within the stone walls of the Harry Covington Museum of Xena History two young women worked long into the night. The last of the Ares series of Xena Scrolls was placed carefully behind glass and the air-tight seal was given final approval. Janice was pleased with their labor. "Well Mel, we’ve put Ares where he belongs once again, wouldn’t you say?"

Mel took off her glasses and the gloves that had protected the ancient parchment from the oil on her skin. "Don’t say it so loud. My Lord, I’m not so sure he isn’t watching us as we speak. I just know Ares and these scrolls are linked together by more than words alone, Janice."

"Mel, its time we lightened up. We’ve both been working so hard toward the museum opening that we haven’t taken the time to enjoy the fact that we aren’t out on some god-forsaken site without a toilet, doing field work."

"That’s just not so. Why I’ve enjoyed the toilets around here very much." Mel raised an eyebrow and struggled to keep a straight face. "Have you been relieving yourself outside again Janice Covington?"

Janice tilted her head to the side, giving Mel the smirk. "And you call me a brat." She pulled a cigar from her pocket.

"Hey, don’t light that thing until we leave. I want it to smell fresh in here for the opening."

"You ordered enough flowers to make it smell as fresh as a garden. But if it bothers you I’ll wait." The big brown cigar remained unlit between her teeth.

"Thank you."

"Thank you, what?"

"What do you mean, ‘thank you what’?"

"You should add ‘dear’ to that since you’re acting like a wife."

"Janice Covington, you are a brat and you always will be!"

"Thank you."

"Thank you, what?"

"Lets go home, I want to light this thing."

This should have been one of the happiest days of Janice’s life but it had taken a dramatic turn for the worse and all she could see was a mean pair of eyes. His eyes were the meanest, smallest points of color on his pale face. Janice could never forget him or the way he had betrayed her departed father, Harry Covington. The rage Janice felt at his presence in this place, on this day, caused her breathing to become shallow. The green surrounding constricting pupils grew in response to her narrowed veins and the pressure of her blood against her veins soared. She was ready to fight. On any other day she would have. Janice was a zealous kickboxer and she squarely faced the hated man she knew to be a Secret Service agent for the U.S. Treasury Department. "I curse you and the rock that let you crawl out from under it to be here today, Smythe."

Purciville Smythe looked down at the fierce-eyed young woman with annoyance.

"So, the daughter of The Grave Robber has manners no better than her father.

"Tsk, tsk Dr. Covington. What would your dear mother think about you now?"

A red haze dropped before Janice’s eyes. Awareness of anything else other than Smythe faded from her consciousness. Then she remembered her mother. Rosalind Covington. Her mother had left her and her father for this pitiful excuse of a man. Soon after her mother had joined Smythe she died. Janice was four years old. She could still remember the smell of the flowers that surrounded the body of her mother, laying so still and quiet. Janice shook her head and a predatory smile came to lips while her eyes stared coldly. She moved her body to allow her right foot easy access to Smythe’s chest. "Is it true they call you ‘Mad Dog’ Covington?" Smythe sneered but cautiously stepped back.

On the verge of exploding with a kick from Hell, Janice nearly choked when she felt a light touch on her arm. She struggled for a moment, then turned her head to scorn the intruder. "Helen?", she gasped, inhaling deeply.

"Lord in heaven, Janice. You look like you’ve seen a ghost dear.." Helen Anderson forced her eyes away from the haunted look in the eyes of the woman who was like a daughter to her in order to scan the room for her niece. "Melinda! Psssst! Melinda, come here. Janice is not well."

Taking advantage of the distracted Dr. Covington, Purciville Smythe drew closer to her. "This little celebration seems a bit premature. As of today, the United States Government will be the sole owner of the Xena Scrolls. When the music stops this afternoon, so ends the Harry Covington Museum." He turned and quickly left the building.

"Who in the name of God above was that man Janice?" The look in the beloved young woman’s eyes caused Helen to hold her tightly against her side. The older woman felt Janice tremble.

Blood pumping freely through her veins once again, Janice felt rage boil in her soul. "God has nothing at all to do with Purciville Smythe, Helen."

Melinda Pappas stopped short in her approach toward the two women she loved most in the world. Something was dreadfully wrong. Her intuition and the anger on the face of her friend told her that the party was over.

Purciville Smythe paced the floor of his hotel room. At long last he would solve the riddle. After 25 years he would wait only a few more hours. "Harry...Harry, wherever you are, I hope you can hear me. I told you the Golden Lyre would be mine." His grunt became a maniacle laugh while lightening crackled crisply through the heavy air surrounding the city block that included the Harry Covington Museum of Xena History.

The opening of the Harry Covington Museum came to an early ending due to the unexpected thunderstorm. Soon Mel Pappas was the sole occupant when Janice accepted a ride home with Aunt Helen and Saul. She had no intention of confronting Smythe today. "Let him lay claim to the scrolls for now.", she had reasoned with Mel. "We have copies of them. The next time I see Smythe I will kill him and I really don’t want you or Helen...or Saul to witness that."

For the first time since she had known Janice Mel felt fear when she looked into her sparkling green eyes. She was afraid for her because she knew Janice was experiencing intense emotional pain and would not be comforted. She was afraid of her because she knew that Janice truly intended to kill another human being. She was going to earn that horrible name of "Mad Dog". As despicable as Smythe was, Mel’s heart and mind could not imagine such violent action. Despite her fear, or perhaps because of it, Mel hugged Janice convulsively to her breast. More than anything, she willed Janice to be free from the pain she could express no other way this this cold rage. Finally she let her friend loose. "I won’t speak to your rage Janice. And I can’t help but pray that in time you will find a better way. Lord forgive me, but if you don’t find a better way I won’t be visiting you in prison nor be a fugitive with you."

Janice was cold as stone, although warm blood coursed through her veins. After a long moment of intense interaction between clear blue eyes and cold green ones, Janice finally spoke and Mel’s heart broke. "We all do what we have to do, Mel. Janice turned and left the building to join Helen and Saul waiting for her in the wind and rain-lashed limousine.

Janice had no memory of the drive home. She entered the Pappas mansion, quickly scaled the three flights of stairs to her bedroom suite and lay down, eyes fixed on the pristine white ceiling. Thinking of a woman with hair as black as night she whispered, "She never said goodbye."

Opening the door to allow Smythe to enter the museum was one of the most distasteful experiences of Mel’s life. When he entered the Museum , a sense of forboding followed. His voice was unpleasantly harsh. "You are a certainly a beautiful woman. Why ever would you choose Mad Dog Covington for a partner?"

Smythe’s appraisal left Mel with a desire to slap him. Mel sensed the evil in his soul went deep. Part of her began to empathize with the homicidal desire Janice harbored. "Just do what the government sent you here for Mr. Smythe, and then get out."

Standing too close, Smythe forced Mel to step backward. "I will do just that Dr. Pappas, and whatever else I want." He pressed his lean body against her, forcing her back against one of the glass display cases containing scrolls.

The glass cracked under the weight of their two bodies before Mel was able to push Smythe off of her. "You get out of here and do it now", she breathed.

"Not yet Dr. You are sitting on what I want." Closing his fist, he smashed the cracked glass and retrieved a scroll that Mel knew to be a story of a sacred ritual involving a Golden Lyre. Smythe began chanting the ancient Greek language as it had been written thousands of years ago. He stopped for a moment and grinned slyly at Mel. "Surprised? You are not the only scholar here, my dear." The grin on Smythe’s pale face grew bigger when dust began to fall upon them. His eyes were evil slits as he finished the chant and grabbed Mel.

Mel struggled against him until she heard a roar in her ears that became deafening and the floor beneath her disappeared.

She awoke with a start. "Smythe!" She jumped to her feet and automatically held up her hands. "Smythe?" The despicable man was no where to be found. She wondered if he had been killed in the earthquake that surely just occurred.

Searching for a way out of the damage, Mel stumbled thought the dimly lit building. "Sweet Jesus, this is not...I say not, a good day." Tripping over something solid on the ground, Mel fell. She raised head and saw that she was laying atop a mountain af a man. <Oh my...My oh my. How did he get in here?> She sat up and looked closely at his features and the soft leather clothing that covered his unusually well-muscled body. She saw the darkening bruise near his left temple. She felt his chest to feel if his heart still beat was relieved to find a strong pumping rhythm. She sat next to his shoulders and lifted his head onto her lap.

Chapter Eleven ~ HERCULES

Hercules had come to Delphi at the suggestion of Iolaus. The reilgious pageant in honor of Athena would be attended by a huge crowd of worshippers. Among the gathering of bards, artisans and soldiers he expected to find the King of Thieves. Hercules agreed with Iolaus that Autolycus was likely to strike at this opportune time and raid the Treasury of Massilia. The Treasury temporarily housed the Golden Lyre while the Oracle of Apollo was being rebuilt after a recent earthquake. The distraction of the pageant was all Autolycus would need to steal the sacred musical instrument. Autolycus had told Iolaus he wanted the Lyre months before when they had shared stories and wine in a village tavern. Now it was up to Hercules to prevent Autolycus from making a big mistake. The gods were angry enough this winter.

Hercules felt the wind become sharp as he walked down from Mount Pernassus. By the time he reached the Peribolos and the Sanctuary of Athena the gale was in full force. He only had time to look up when the rocks began to fall from the surrounding mountains. Before darkness claimed him his last thought was a plea to his father. Lightening struck the circular columns of stone surrounding the the son of Zeus and the ground swallowed not only a man but the Treasury and Third Temple of Athena. Hercules awoke and smelled dust in the air. His head ached. He looked up into a familiar pair of eyes. But something was not right about them. The rock that bruised his head must have also damaged his vision. Wanting to sit up, he began to move toward that goal.

Comforting hands soothed his brow and encouraged him to lay his head back onto a soft lap. Xena’s lap. But what strange object adorned her face around her eyes? And her hair was arranged differently, the long black tresses hidden tightly behind her head. In place of her leathers and brass armor she wore cloth of an unusual design. But even in the dim light Xena’s beauty was evident. Several years ago he opened the door of redemption for Xena and she had stepped through it. In return, Xena had opened the door to passion that he longed to experience again. She fought and loved with complete abandon, giving her body and soul and taking his in return. Even though she had explained to him that she had to make amends for her warlord past, he never understood how she could leave him without looking back.

He remembered the soft and firm feel of her lips and body pressed against his. The way she drew him into her so assertively and so deeply. He was about to speak when she placed a well-formed finger to his lips. Xena looked at him with concern showing in her ice blue eyes before speaking to him in a manner he had not expected.

"Now you just shush and lay still for a minute. You’ve been unconscious and you’ve got a nasty bump on your head. Give yourself time to adjust now, you hear me?" She gently smoothed damp hair from his forehead, expecting him to stay where he was. Hercules could make no sense out of the strange sounds coming from Xena’s lips. He realized he was delirious. Closing his eyes, he let his throbbing head return to her lap. His strong and courageous heart still pained at the way she left after so thoroughly loving him. He wanted her still. His leather clothing suddenly felt too tight.

Mel Pappas looked down upon the handsome face of Hercules. She observed his smile and removed her hand from his heated forehead. Taking advantage of their relative positions, she used a motherly tone of voice to help establish a degree of authority with the man who was almost a giant. "Okay young man, I think you are ready to start talking now. How did you get into the museum?" His eyes popped open. Hercules no longer felt delirious but Xena was still looked and talked strangely. She was not speaking Greek. He reached up and cupped her cheek. "Xena, why are you talking so funny?"

Mel was shocked. She had never heard anyone speak ancient Greek with such rapidity and casualness. She almost missed the meaning because his speech was slurred. She spoke to him in Greek. "Okay big guy, what are you doing in my building and why are you speaking ancient Greek?" "No. Me first. Why are you speaking with a funny accent, Xena? And what are you wearing on your face?" He moved his hand up to touch her glasses.

While Mel readjusted her glasses with one hand she led Hercules’ hand back down to his chest with the other. "Xena? You think I am Xena?" Mel giggled.

Hercules’ head throbbed. "Don’t play with me. My head hurts."

"If you think I am Xena, then who are you?"

"Stop it. I am Hercules. The man you loved and left, remember?" He could not keep an edge of anguish from the words he spoke.

The intense sincerity in the eyes of the man who spoke ancient Greek so casually and called himself Hercules could not be dismissed. He did not look like a madman. He looked like a Greek god. Mel let her eyes move down from his wide shoulders to the rest of his large frame. The bulge she found at his crotch boldly testified to his virility. She stared without meaning to, really. He enlarged. <Oh my!>

A slow smile came to Hercules’ lips along with a surge of hope in his big heart. It had been so long since she had looked at him that way. "I like what I see too, Xena. Even with your hair up like that, wearing God knows what, you are more beautiful than I can say." <Maybe its not too late for us after all.>

Mel quickly turned her head and blushed a bright red. She could not look him in the eyes. Whoever he was, he had a powerful effect on her senses. The head resting in her lap was suddenly too heavy to bear, the closeness too intimate. She needed to protect herself. "Please", Mel still could not look at him. "I have to stand up now."

"Oh. Of course." Hercules reluctantly removed himself from her warmth. "I have no idea how long I have been laying here...how long was I unconscious? How did you come to be here? Did you come to protect the Treasury too? Iolaus and I have good reason to believe Autolycus intends to steal the Golden Lyre being kept in the Treasury this season. instead of the Oracle of Apollo. This would be his best chance. By the Gods, I am rambling aren’t I? I have no idea if the Sanctuary is still standing. Thank the Gods most of the worshippers hadn’t arrived yet when the ground shook." Feeling the hotness in her face, Mel concentrated her gaze on her dress and busied herself with brushing dust off her clothing.

Hercules stopped talking for a moment and just watched her. This woman was not Xena. She looked like Xena. But she was not the woman whose body he had known in the most intimate way a man can know a woman. His manly intuition told him she was unfamiliar with the physical pleasures of sex between a man and a woman. She was a virgin. He knew this, feeling her awkwardness as his own. And her sweetness. He felt his big heart expand and tighten in the same instant.

"So, if you are not Xena, then who are you?"

Her hands stilled their movement against her clothing. She realized she could no longer avoid his eyes. Willing herself to keep her eyes focused above his wide shoulders, she dared to meet his gaze. And then she knew. He was no twentieth-century man. She could not say how she knew, her intuition simply told her his character was genuine. He was a good man. A man obviously attracted to her. She could not help herself from being aware of his arousal. But she would not look. Instead, she recited her title, knowing it would not mean much to this man...this Hercules. "I am Melinda Pappas, Dr. of Anthropology. "And I’m afraid I’m a bit of a foreigner here. This is not South Carolina is it", she said as more of a statement than a question.

"That’s a place I’ve never heard of. We’re standing in what’s left of the Sanctuary of Athena in the city of Delphi, Greece. Is that where you are from... South Carolina?"

Becoming dizzy, Mel swayed backward. Hercules came forward to support her but she righted herself and brushed his hands away. "Don’t you touch me!"

"Sorry...Melinda. I didn’t want you to hurt yourself." Hercules laughed after the words came out of his worth. He was saying things to this woman that he would never say to Xena. And she was saying things to him that Xena would never say. "Follow me strange woman. We must find a way out of here."

"And where are you going to take me?"

"Out of this wreck of a building and into the fresh air. Ready?" Just as Mel was making up her mind wether to follow Hercules or not a figure of unmatched masculine beauty appeared before them.

"Apollo", breathed Hercules, "you are a sight for sore eyes my brother."

Apollo’s smile gave light to the sanctuary. "Half brother, Hercules. Don’t get cocky just because you are with beautiful woman from a distant land."

Mel knew that this was one of those times when being a doctor of anthropology was going to be a tremendous help to her. She always thrilled a little when all those years of academic study made a positive difference. And if not now, finding herself dramatically transported from the mid-twentieth century to an ancient time, then when? But being both a scholar and a victim of the remnants of the Victorian era, she was faced with a dilemma. If she had not been concerned that Hercules would hold her up, she would have fainted like a proper southern belle. <This is no time to do the proper thing because it would actually be improper in the end.> That settled, Mel squared her shoulders and cleaned her glasses on the collar of her silk blouse in order to get a better look at Apollo. A subtle sunny glow surrounded him. While Hercules was handsome and large, Apollo was beautiful in his masculinity. He was the sun, poetry and music in bodily form. His smile broadened under Mel’s curious gaze, indulging his godly enjoyment of a mortal woman’s delightful scrutiny.

The joy and relief that Hercules felt at seeing Apollo ended when he observed Melinda Pappas’ eyes widen with delighted awe as she studied his brother. Hercules cleared his throat. "You are hear to rescue us I suppose, and not to impress another woman?"

Apollo laughed, "Look who is talking! But you are right. I have great purpose in being here. Zeus needs your help."

Hercules was incredulous. "Zeus needs my help? There is a switch. I believe I called on him just today. Why didn’t he come himself to ask for my help?"

Apollo shook his head sadly. "I am sorry to tell you that he can’t. Sit down you two, while I tell you what has happened. It seems impossible but Zeus is dying. His energy is being drained from him as we speak. All of life is energy and even a god’s life depends on energy. As much energy we gods have, it is not limitless. Zeus has been expending huge amounts of energy keeping a rip in the fabric of time and space from becoming larger. All existence...everything living throughout all time...is in danger.

Her curiosity stronger than her skepticism, Mel leaned forward. "The entire universe is in the hands of Zeus? My oh my! Where is the the universe torn?"

Thinking of his Ares, his ruthless sibling, Apollo wore a frown as he told of recent circumstances involving Mel and Janice. "Ares was brought forth from his tomb of captivity by you Melinda..."

Now Mel understand that her bizarre experience as Goddess of Desire had not been a dream at all.

With eyes wide Mel stuttered, "But, but, but I didn’t mean to..."

"Of course not", soothed the god. "But you set in motion a series of events that caused the problem threatening all of existence. Just like Xena, you rejected Ares and so he cursed the scrolls that led him to you. Our sister Athena became aware of the curse and because of her love for Xena, the greatest of warriors, she blessed the scrolls to protect Xena’s descendants...to protect you, Melinda."

"The Goddess Athena did that for me?"

"She did it for Xena...well, for you too I suppose. Otherwise the curse of Ares would have brought you and your descendants terrible misfortune. Unfortunately, Ares’ curse and Athena’s blessing of the caused the bizarre combination of negative and positive energy that created a small hole in the the fabric of time and space where the scrolls exist. That hole became a rip when someone used the power of one of the scrolls to transport you here."

"You mean that villain, Purciville Smythe", Mel breathed.

"Yes. He arrived here with you. He has already stolen the Golden Lyre and all the valuable he could carry from the Treasury. He is traveling through the mountains right now. He intends to stay here in this time and rule as a self-made king. But that will not be for long. Melinda, neither you nor Smythe can remain here. You must return to your own time within the next thirty days or life is over for all of us. And neither you nor Smythe can be allowed to die here either. That would cause another hole in the universe that could never be mended. Right now there is hope."

Hercules stood up. "You said Zeus needs my help. What can I do?"

"Two things, brother."

"Half brother", Hercules replied with a smile.

"Alright. A brother is a brother. Only someone with human blood can reclaim the Golden Lyre. Zeus believes it must be you, Hercules. Bring Smythe and the Golden Lyre back here to the Sanctuary of Athena. Only the Sacred Lyre can produce the healing vibrations to rebalance the positive and negative energy around the rip in the fabric of time and space. Then Smythe and Melinda must return to their own time. I will arrange that after you return here. This sanctuary is the gateway, so to speak."

Hercules shifted his gaze from Apollo to Mel and back. "Do you know what direction Smythe is headed?"

"Northeast is all I can tell you. He himself is not sure of his destination. Find him and bring him me the Lyre. And remember, don’t kill him. He must return to his own time, and so must Melinda."

"I understand Apollo. Is there anything else?"

"Yes. A message from father. He said to tell you to hurry and do not waste time falling in love with someone you can’t have."

"He said all that, did he? He does care", Hercules replied with uncharacteristic sarcasm.

Apollo faded from sight, his last words an echo left behind, "See you two soon, right here. Remember everything I have said."

Hercules shook his head, "You would think he would show us the way out of here before he left, wouldn’t you? Gods can be so thoughtless. Well Melinda, looks like we are stuck with each other for a while."

Mel was still digesting the information supplied by Apollo. "Huh? What? Oh my, yes...stuck with each other. Hey, do you see some light up there?" She pointed up. There was a pyramid of rocks against the wall that ended about eight feet from the ceiling.

"Great. That’s the way out of here." Hercules climbed the pile of rocks and Mel followed him after taking off her high heeled shoes and hiking up her skirt. He lifted her onto his wide shoulders and thought how much heavier she was than she looked. She was solid. Firm but soft. <Like Xena. Stop doing this to yourself, Herc. Remember what Zeus said.> "Okay, now grab onto the roofing tiles and I will push you through."

Although the feel of his large hands on her hips and thighs was disturbing, she soon forgot he was touching her when she realized how high she was. She was catapulted into the fresh air. Pulling herself free from the edge, she waited for the man who was half god and half human to join her.

Chapter Twelve ~ MUSEUM of MYSTERY

Harry Covington’s weather worn face carried a woeful expression. His daughter stared into her reddened eyes. <What can I say to her. How can I raise Janice all alone when I’m traveling? Should I give up the search for the Xena Scrolls?> Agonizing, he pulled a cigar from the inner pocket of his leather jacket he grinned and cupped the cheek of his child. Janice gave her father a gapped-toothed grin of her own. She took the cigar out of his big hand and with her small fingers she stuffed it lopsided into his mouth. "Thanks little monkey." He pulled her to him and laughed despite the tears forming in his eyes as he held her. "We’re going to be okay, aren’t we." Strawberry blond curls ruffled in the breeze. "Yeth, dad...Okay."

Janice grabbed the hand that had been annoying her shoulder.

"Ouch!" Helen winced and placed her other hand on top of the one Janice held tightly. "Are you awake dear?"

"Uh hmmm." Janice opened her eyes and saw the pained expression in the well-loved aristocratic face. She withdrew her hand. "Sorry Helen, I guess you surprised me. What time is it? Did Mel close the museum?"

"That’s what I want to know. She hasn’t come home and it’s almost morning.

Didn’t she call you?"

"No. No, she hasn’t called." Quickly shaking off the effects of deep slumber Janice rose from her bed and headed for the stairs shouting behind her, "Don’t worry Helen, I’ll find her." She was out the door before the older woman could respond.

Janice drove through the drying country roads littered with pools of muddy water. Yesterday’s storm had matched her mood: dark and dangerous. Driving into the city with the light of early morning leading the way, guilt mixed with anxiety whirled within Janice’s heart. Mel had been shocked when she said she was going to kill Smythe. She had disappointed Mel. Would Mel avoid her now? Is that why she did not come home last night?

The museum door was unlocked. <Good. She is still here.> Janice entered the stone

building and noticed immediately the broken glass case in the middle of the large room. "God, no..." Reaching the case, she saw a scroll was gone. In the middle of the damaged case there were several drops of blood. A fine brown dust, unlike the dark South Carolina earth, filled a ten foot area surrounding the case. Shouting Mel’s name, Janice ran through all the rooms of the building searching for her friend. She knew Mel had been kidnapped when she still had not found her after searching the basement. Kidnapped or murdered. And Smythe was the number one suspect. <I should’ve killed the demon bastard yesterday!>

Janice knew Smythe wanted the scrolls to satisfy his greed. He once worked with her father in the quest to find the ancient manuscripts. Harry Covington’s quest was to history into myth and myth into history. It did not take Harry long to discover Smythe’s quest had a different purpose. Greed. Smythe was expecting to find ancient treasure buried in Greece ny locating and deciphering the clues hidden in on of the scrolls. Janice remembered her father’s words: the scroll was believed to be part of the Ares series entitled "The Golden Lyre of Apollo." Janice knew that Smythe had taken Mel, just as he had taken that scroll. "You’re a dead man Smythe". A new vow was sealed into her destiny.

Janice would find Mel and she would find Smythe. There was no time to despair that Mel could be dead. All the resources possessed by Dr. Janice Covington would be focused on the search. She would notify the police but she had no expectation that the law would locate Smythe and Mel. This was up to her.

Mind and body set with deadly purpose, Janice strode up the stairs to make the call. She would wait until the inspector arrived before gathering her own clues. And her heart hardened with the knowledge that she would be the one to tell Helen and Saul that Mel was not just late, but missing. She would present it in such a way that Helen would not fear Mel was dead. Janice would not allow herself to think it either. Mel’s death could not fit into her reality. Not now, not ever.

Chapter Thirteen ~ BRUISED WOMAN

So far the special knowledge Janice Covington had as an archaeologist was not helping her find Smythe and Mel. No one knew Smythe’s whereabouts. At the U.S. Treasury Department she was informed that Smythe had been given an early retirement after spending several months in an asylum for the mentally disturbed.

The head of the Treasury Department and Secret Service was concerned that Smythe had misrepresented himself to Janice at the museum opening. "But I guess I am not surprised by his behavior. He was acting very strange before he ended up in the asylum. He was obsessed with a mythological figure...Ares was his name I believe. One of those Grecian gods wasn’t he? It was about the time the newspapers reported your discovery of the scrolls. When he was in the asylum he sang the same song over and over. The The Dr. asked me if I knew what it meant. It was something about a golden flute and traveling through time. Pretty crazy, huh? His last known address is the downtown hotel just around the corner from your father’s museum. But he is not there, we’ve got it cased out. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. But rest easy Dr. Covington, the government has no claim on those Xena Scrolls of yours. I hope the authorities find your friend."

Locating the doctor who had treated in the asylum had been easy, but getting information was another matter. "I am sorry you had to go thought he trouble of obtaining a court order Dr. Covington, but the law is every clear on the matter of confidentiality. Now what exactly is it that you need to know about poor Mr. Smythe?"

Janice was appalled. "Poor Smythe? What about the people he has hurt Dr. Ratchett?"

Dr. Ratchett recoiled. "Oh, yes, yes of course. I meant ‘poor Smythe’ because of his mental state. A hopeless dementia praecox victim. Nothing to be done for him. But he had not been threatening while he was with us and he had the means to support himself so he was discharged after several months."

"I understand that he would sing the same song over and over. Do you remember the words? "

"Oh yes, that song of his. He was obsessed with the mythological. And I believe he was obsessed with you and your father also. Your discovery of the scrolls. He had episodes of mania when he talked of the scrolls and he would sing, chant actually, the same phrases over and over again."

"And what were the words?"

"I will never forget them: ‘Twenty-five years I have waited for what now will be, traveling through time, the lyre will be mine, now what do you say Harry’ He would chant this over and over and laugh like it was a great joke. I never understood it. Do you Dr. Covington?"

Pulling a cigar from her pocket Janice frowned. "I think I’m beginning to Ratchett."

"Please don’t smoke in here. I am terribly allergic, you know."

"I didn’t know. But don’t worry doc, I’m on my way out. Thanks for your help." Janice walked out of his office, handing a cigar to each patient she passed on her way out of the building.

**************************

Helen Anderson loved Janice as if she were her very own daughter. Soon after she had met Janice they had fit together like that somehow. She had lost her niece to misfortune and now Helen began to fear that she was going to lose Janice too. Every night she came home late, smelling of the most common liquor and other smells harder to identify. She missed Melinda too. She missed her terribly. And she worried that she may be dead. But she would not let her life end because of her worry and grief.

She wished Janice would talk with her about what was happening in her soul. She wished Janice would stop numbing herself every night. Here it was two o’clock in the morning. Every bar was closed by now. Would she make it home safely once again? Tears formed in her eyes and she silently prayed.

Looking at his wife, Saul realized her heart was breaking. He was upset with Janice for shutting everyone out since Melinda disappeared. Helen needed Janice. It seemed to him that Janice was being selfish. He was going to have a talk with her soon. Something was going to have to change. When Helen heard the rattling of a car engine she was flooded with relief knowing that Janice had indeed made it home one more night. But when she heard a crash downstairs she knew Janice was in trouble. She looked at Saul who was already getting out of bed. "Lets both check it out this time, Helen."

They discovered a limp Janice, hanging onto the open door of a car that was partially embedded in the outer wall of the Pappas mansion. Blood lined her face but she stood and kept her balance.

"Janice!" Helen cried, "Oh ,my sweet Lord! Saul, quick, help me get her into the house."

"Don’tcha worry ‘bout me Hel’n, I’b jus fine. But yer wall looks jus awful." She collapsed onto Helen until Saul lifted her into his arms and carried her inside.

He placed her on the largest couch in the parlor and began to assess the damage. "She’ll be fine, Helen. Get my suture kit though, she needs some stitches in her thick hide."

"Hayyy Saul ‘ol man. Who’r ya callin’ thick, huh?"

"You Janice, I’m calling you thick-headed. And its a good thing you already have plenty of anesthetic in you because I’m not giving you anything for the pain."

"Ya love me, don’tcha Saul."

"Humph."

"I love you too. Cuz yer a good pers’n...and Hel’n loves ya. So howz ‘bout somethin’ to bite on?"

"Here". Saul stuck a big Cuban cigar between her teeth.

"Thankth Thawl."

"Don’t mention it."

Tucking Janice into bed, Helen took advantage of her vulnerable condition and hugged her close for several moments. "Oh my sweet baby, what are you going to do now? What are you going to do?"

Helen thought Janice had fallen asleep so she was startled when Janice spoke.

"I’ve got a lead Hel’n. It came to me wile play’n pool t’night. Mel’s alive. I know it. But she and Smythe went back in time or somethin’. I can find it in the copy of the scrolls. I know jus the place t’look."

"Sure dear", Helen replied consolingly, knowing Janice was deleriously intoxicated. "Lay down now and sleep". She kissed Janice and got up to leave her room.

"Don’ go yet Hel’n. Stay a little longer with me."

"Sure dear, I’m right here." Helen sat on the big bed and pulled Janice to her.

Janice leaned in and hugged her tight. "Its nice hav’n a mom, it sure is nice."

Helen placed her hand lightly on Janice’s strawberry blond hair and felt a twinge of joy amidst her sorrow.

"I’m going to Greece Helen. Everything I have learned since Mel and Smythe diappeared leads me to believe that he has taken Mel there to help him find some ancient treasure." She did not trouble Helen with the fact that she was planning to go to ancient Greece. Janice finished packing and headed down the stairs, stopping at the stairs for the expected hugs. She remembered asking Helen to stay with her the night before. <It’s hard to leave. I know she’s worried about me already. Damn, love hurts too much.>

Looking at the bruised and bandaged face Helen would not let herself dwell on the possibility that they may never see each other again. She grabbed Janice tightly and let the tears flow, "Just come home in one piece with Melinda."

"I will. Anything else?"

"Call me mom."

Janice kissed Helen’s cheek and held her gently. "Just keep a candle burning, mom."

Knowing how important Janice had become to him, Saul handed her the package he had just finished wrapping before quickly drawing her into a big hug she could not avoid. "Don’t get into anything you can’t get out of, Mad Dog."

Raising her eyebrows, Janice grinned. "Not me Saul. I’ll be back with Mel before you even have the chance to miss me. You put these stitches in and you’re the only I’m going to let take them out."

Saul let go of her and smiled. "Now I know you’ll be back since you have a use for me."

Janice returned his smile, gave a final nod to her mom and left the Pappas mansion.

Saul hugged his wife. "There goes a bruised woman with a purpose. Don’t worry, she’ll be fine. She didn’t earn the reputation of ‘Mad Dog’ without reason dear."

"And that’s just what concerns me. She’s been on the verge of losing herself since Smythe took Melinda." Looking upward she spoke to the heavens, "I won’t ask anything else if you just bring my girls home safe and sound."

Having gathered the supplies she needed, Janice placed them on the museum floor near the site she believed Melinda had disappeared with Smythe. She took inventory: "one horse, in good shape and ready to travel; one Gatling gun; plenty of nine millimeter shells in saddle bags; grenades; crossbow; whip; knife; pistol and...what’s this Saul gave me?" Unwrapping the box, she laughed. "And one box of my favorite cigars." She placed the box lovingly into one of the saddle bags. "Don’t worry Nacho, your days as a pack horse are temporary."

Quickly changing clothes, Janice turned herself into a small version of Lawrence of Arabia. She wrapped a tan robe around her compact body and fashioned a turban, placing it gently over her bandaged head. She looked at her reflection in a nearby display case. Two black eyes showed darkly on her face. She smiled wickedly at her image. "Don’t even think about hiding, Smythe. Even across thousands of years the daughter of Harry Covington will find you. You are nothing but a walking corpse!"

Turning to the horse, she put her booted foot into a stirrup, pulled herself into the well-oiled saddle and pulled out a copy of the Golden Lyre of Apollo scroll. Janice wished she had Mel’s skill with ancient languages. But she knew enough. Scanning the scroll she came to the section that described a religious ritual. She began to chant the symbols. Her horse whinnied but Janice steadied him with a soothing hand while she continued to chant. A light brown dust filtered through from the ceiling and a screeching noise quickly became a deafening roar just before the floor disappeared from beneath the trembling horse.

Chapter Fourteen ~ WHEN a MAN LOVES a WOMAN

Hercules and Mel had been tracking Smythe for three long weeks and hoped to find him over the next ridge of mountains the following morning. Mel was grateful that Hercules had bought a new dress for her in the last village they had stopped at. Her own dress had been in tatters. Her heels had already been replaced on the first day with leather boots better suited for traveling.

Thoughtful as Hercules was, he had forgotten to buy an extra blanket once again and the cold winter nights forced them to find the warmth they needed from each other. Huddled next to Hercules, Mel was grateful for the arm that held her to his side and kept her back warm. The past few nights she had felt safe enough with him to wrap her own arm over his chest and anchor herself during the night. She was getting used to it and was glad that Hercules had not let his attraction to her be the distraction it had been when they first met. They had a mission to complete. It would not be good to take a detour and he knew it. There could be no future together for them wether the universe was saved or not. They belonged to different times. <It’s really Xena he wants anyway, not me.>

Listening to the soft echoes made by the crackling campfire in the cave that provided a haven for the night, Mel sighed against Hercules’ side. He was asleep, breathing slowly. Mel let her mind wander to her home that was so far away. Janice. Aunt Helen and Saul. <They must think the worst. I miss them so. Sweet Jesus, I miss you Janice. If this works out I’ll be back soon. I hope you’re taking good care of yourself.> Mel drifted off.

It was a favorite dream of Hercules’. He and Xena making love. Her hands wrapped in his hair, pulling his head to hers. Her thighs pressed against him. His shaft full and hard between them. Her mouth ravishing his until he knew he would explode soon. Her thighs opened for him and she breathed his name hotly in his ear. <Wait...that wasn’t my name!> His eyes popped open.

Mel was in the midst of her wet dream. "Oh, Janice", she breathed and opened her legs to give her dream lover more access. Suddenly her lover stopped. <Don’t stop, don’t you dare stop!> She did not want to wake up but she had no choice. She opened her eyes. "Oh my!"

Hercules remained excited by the look of passion in Mel’s eyes. Mel was on the verge of orgasm, and stunned to be pinned beneath a very different body than the one she had been dreaming of. Hercules pressed his mouth to Mel’s and her flesh responded with a driving force, opening to him while she grabbed his straight brown hair. Then clothes that separated them were discarded in a frenzy. Suddenly remembering she was a virgin Hercules hesitated. His voice was low and husky. "Melinda, I need this. I think you do to...Do you?"

Mel’s body had already made the decision for her. Without a word she raised her hips and began the rhthymic capture of the strong son of Zeus. Hercules let Mel guide him to her. He let her thrust against him, let her control his entry, his body penetrating her small barrier. He let her desire be his own, quickly ascending the heights of pleasure, wishing it were his name that she cried at her climax. Hercules made a final plunge and discharged his seed, his shout of surrender following behind Mel’s. They were locked together in a total, sensual embrace. Mel cried softly, unable to hold back her tears. She was overwhelmed, and could not give a name to what she felt. Finally withdrawing his weight from her, he continued to hold Mel then tenderly kissed her damp face brushed away her tears. "Sorry?"

Mel shook her head and offered him a small smile. "I don’t know."

"Its not so cold now, huh?" Hercules smiled tenderly.

Mel was grateful for the gentleness of this giant and part of her regretted that there could be no more than this. "I’d say I was warm clear down to my toes." Passion now spent, she was suddenly shy.

Hercules knew what was coming and wanted to protect Mel...protect them both. "Please don’t feel guilty about this. It was bound to happen. We’re both young and healthy and we’ve been stuck with each other every hour of the day for weeks."

"I could’ve said no."

"I don’t think either of us could’ve done that Mel. You know, I would do the honorable thing and marry you if you’d let me." Hercules suddenly rose to his knees and held Mel’s hand firmly in his. "Melinda...will you marry me?"

He was so serious. Mel laughed, "We’re only going to be together another week at the most. Besides, we’re not in love. You don’t love me."

Hercules was serious. "What makes you say that? Because of Xena? Don’t you know there are all kinds of love. We can love more than one person at a time. I love you Melinda. I love your gentleness and your quick mind. The way you kiss..."

"Stop! I won’t feel guilty, alright. Sweet Jesus, I can’t marry you and that’s all there is to it. Now shush and don’t go on about this."

"Why not? Isn’t it about time you told someone what’s in your heart? I know you must love your friend Janice, a lot. Have you ever told her?"

"As a matter of fact, I have...She knows that I love her.

"Does she know that you want her...want more than her friendship?"

"That kind of thing isn’t something you talk about. You hope it goes away."

Mel blushed a deep red.

"And how long have you been hoping that? Denying needs can be harmful to the soul, Mel."

"I can’t believe we’re having this conversation. You ask me to marry you and then you ask me about my...my feelings for... someone else. Why are you doing this?"

"Because I care about you Melinda. You deserve to be happy. Since I can’t make you happy then I’d like to know who can. Man or woman."

"I’m happy enough Hercules. But thank you. Honestly, sometimes I wish I understood what I feel for Janice...I have these lustful dreams...like tonight, sweet Jesus! Its pure embarrassment. It’s not love, its...I don’t know, ...its something else. It makes me feel like I’m just an animal and that’s not what I want. Janice does not want it either."

Remembering the passion he just tasted, Hercules was perplexed by her reasoning. "Okay, so you say you don’t want that it. How do know Janice doesn’t?"

"I saw into her heart once. Oh, she felt desire for me once...for about ten minutes. It made her sick...and that desire wasn’t real anyway. Believe me Hercules, she doesn’t want anything more than friendship from me."

"Well, you would know better than I." Hercules knew the subject was closed.

"You know, you’re certainly a liberated man of the world," Mel replied sleepily. She liked him. But he simply did not understand the rules of her time, nor the rules of her heart.

"I’m glad you noticed. I’m a few thousand years older than you , you know..." Hercules saw that Mel’s eyelids were lowering. "Want to eat something before we try to get some more sleep?" Hercules reached for his satchel and quickly removed some dried fruit and bread for them both. Mel was no longer flushed. She would be alright. <She is a beauty. She loves with the same abandon as Xena, too. Amazing. I wish I could marry them both... then again, even my strength is limited.> Chuckling to himself, he devoted his attention to eating before curling up next to Mel who had a few more bites to go. "Since we’re not strangers anymore, lets be comfortable." He pulled Mel to him and wrapped around her. "Now sleep." She did, knowing she would be sore in more than one place by morning.

Melinda Pappas looked accusingly at Hercules. "Stop treating me like a China doll!"

"A what doll?"

"Never you mind. Just keep your hands to yourself and let me climb this mountain by myself." Hercules was so sweet and so handsome but the way he was treating her today was insufferable. <Really, if he gives me one more helping hand I’m going to bite it! Or am I the one who’s overreacting today?> Mel’s grasp on a protruding rock slipped at this most unfortunate moment. Melinda’s twelve foot fall was halted by another protrusion in the side of the mountain.

Quickly descending to where Mel lay, Hercules assessed the damage. "A broken leg and some bruised hands. Could’ve been a lot worse. Thank the gods you didn’t break your neck."

Grimacing in pain, Mel could not believe her misfortune. "Sweet Jesus! This has been a rotten visit to ancient Greece, I can tell you that. Even if it’s a lie, just tell we’re going to make it through all this."

Tearing off strips of clothing from the lining of her dress, Hercules fastened a splint to Mel’s leg using the clothed sticks of wood scattered nearby. "I’m going to have to carry you, so don’t fight me Mel. We’ll make it. You’ll return to your own time. But let me carry you for now."

Resigning herself to her state of damsel in distress, Melinda wrapped her arms tightly around Hercules’ neck. "It seems I was meant to be in your arms Hercules lifted her gently and carried her closely against himself. He definitely liked having this woman in his arms, but he wished it were under different circumstances.

Mel was exhausted and Hercules was pleased when she finally fell asleep in his arms. Looking tenderly at her sleeping face, he marveled again at how much she resembled Xena. He was glad when they reached the bottom of the mountain. Heading for the shelter of a large tree, he planned a brief period of rest. the sound of horses brought his mind into focus. Looking to the right, he could not believe what he saw.

A huge army appeared as if from nowhere at his right flank. There were 800 men, maybe more. He waited for the leader to come forward, readying himself to surrender. By the gods! Every muscle in his body screamed for action...to fight for the woman he held with everything within him. But victory here would be impossible.

Looking down from his mount, Purciville Smythe grinned. His eyes opened wide in recognition as he looked upon the sleeping woman the big man held lightly in his arms. Then his mean eyes narrowed into thin slits. "So, you have brought the beautiful Dr. Pappas to me. I thank you. Now you can choose. Join my army and you will live. Refuse to join my army and you will die."

A heavily scarred soldier came forward. "Excuse me your majesty, but this man is Hercules. He rescues people from the likes of you...er, us. Even if he pledged his life to you, you could not trust him."

"Hercules? Really? That’s too bad. He would’ve made a great soldier. Captain Thaleos, put Hercules in chains and throw him in the dungeon."

"But my king, he will break the chains."

Smythe grinned widely at Hercules. "If he escapes, kill the woman."

Hearing the entire conversation, Melinda shivered in the strong arms of Hercules. He looked at her and whispered in her ear before she was taken from him and he heard the clank of heavy chains. "We still have time Mel. It’s not over yet."

Smythe looked at the wrap around Mel’s leg. He laughed. "I needn’t be concerned that you will try to escape." He addressed his captain, "Take the woman to my chambers." His laughter turned harsh as he led his army toward his castle.

Xena was anxious to meet Gabrielle who was visiting her family in Poteidaia. She was looking forward to having her companion with her again. Traveling without her was lonely and any adventure along the way lacked luster without the young bard by her side. She would not enjoy one more day without Gabrielle.

Seeing black smoke rise above the trees, her body tensed. There was fire in Gabrielle’s village. She hurried Argo into a fast run along the countryside as she neared her destination, long black hair whipping in the wind.

Leaping from her horse, Xena approached the only living soul left in the burning village. She supported his bleeding head with her arm. "Where are the rest of the villagers old man?"

Voice rasping as his life’s blood poured from him, the battered man knew he would die very soon. "Those who were not killed were taken as slaves...to serve a new king."

Xena helped him turn his head to the side and wiped the blood from his face.

"Taken where? What new king?"

"Taken to the castle beyond the eastern mountains. To the land claimed by Smythe. He calls himself a king. He has great wealth. He has an army of mercenaries larger than any I’ve ever seen...it was...useless to fight. So we didn’t...and they burned Poteidaia still..."

His eyes closed and Xena knew his soul had departed from his body. Satisfied that Gabrielle was not among the dead, she felt sorrow that she could not take the time to bury the bodies. Seating herself on her warhorse, Xena prayed to the gods, "Let Gabrielle live and help me rid the land of this evil new king." Leaving the burning village behind her, she headed east.

Chapter Fifteen ~ A FRIEND IN NEED

Autolycus searched through the debris within the ruined Treasury next to the Third temple of Athena. Surely there were some precious stones around somewhere, even if the Golden Lyre had been taken by a madman. He had heard about the exploits of King Smythe. "Well it would take a king to get the upper hand on the King of Thieves," he murmured to himself. He was ready to give up and leave the desolate Sanctuary of Athena when he heard a screeching in the air. It quickly became a thundering roar before the sound abruptly stopped. Uncovering his ears, Autolycus stood back from the scene before him.

Brushing the dust from her robe, Janice spied Autolycus. She quickly pulled her pistol from its hiding place beneath her robe and leveled it at the dashing figure below her. "What place is this? Answer me quickly, I haven’t got all day!"

Staring at her two gloriously blackened eyes, Autolycus did not hear her question. "Gabrielle for the love of Zeus, what are you doing here looking like this? Where is Xena? He scanned the room looking for the beautiful and intimidating warrior princess.

"You know Xena?"

"Know her? Why we know each other very well as you very well know. She used my body to kiss you , remember?"

"Huh? Hey, are you some kind of pervert? I really don’t have time for that right now. Where are we? Tell me quick or you’re going to come down with a bad case of lead poisoning!" Janice looked at the pistol and then back into the tall man’s eyes.

Autolycus was at a loss. Gabrielle was not making sense. What was that thing in her hand the she held in his direction? Who had given her those black eyes? Where was Xena? "Look Gabrielle, its me, Autolycus. We’re friends right? If you’re in some kind of trouble you can count on me. That’s what friends are for, to help, whatever it takes."

Janice realized the man before her had mistaken her for her ancient ancestor Gabrielle, Xena’s protegee (she preferred this description to companion) and bard...probably the author of most of the Xena Scrolls. That meant she was in ancient Greece. "I could use your help, Autolycus. I’m looking for an ugly, evil man named Smythe, and a...nice looking woman named Melinda Pappas. Those names ring any bells?"

"Smythe the king...that Smythe? The one who beat me to the Golden Lyre that was once in this very building. That Smythe?"

"Yes, that would be the right Smythe."

"I have heard of him. After he stole everything he could from this very Treasury, can you imagine, he amassed a great army of almost one thousand mercenaries. He has his heart set on world conquest it is said. His own soldiers say he is mad."

"And where is this mad king now?"

"I hear he is claiming the castle in the mountains to the east of your own home village. Gabrielle, you know Poteidaia is in danger if King Smythe hasn’t already taken it."

"I ‘m sworn to kill Smythe, and the sooner the better. Will you help me Autolycus?"

"Hmmm. Sounds pretty messy. Isn’t Xena the one who kills when its necessary?

You don’t kill people Gabrielle."

"Things change. I don’t know where Xena is right now, so this is up to me."

"And what is in it for The King of Thieves?"

"My deep appreciation, friendship and all of King Smythe’s treasure."

"That sounds good...Still, the odds are not in our favor. I mean, one thousand to two."

"Actually Autolycus, the odds are a little better than that. I’m packing some weapons that can kill them all under the right circumstances."

"And those circumstances would be...?"

"Get on my horse and I’ll tell you all about it on the way toward Poteidaia." Autolycus joined Janice atop the large steed and they made their way through the rubble and out of the stone building. "So, before I tell you about my Gatling gun and grenades, tell me about that kiss again."

"You’re a funny one Gabrielle. You know more about it than I do."

"Well I want to hear about it from your perspective..." The King of Thieves and Mad Dog Covington rode together through the rocky terrain of Delphi heading northeast, neither of them having a clue about the universal importance of their quest.

Chapter Sixteen ~ MAD KING

Gabrielle had never felt less guilt while telling a white lie in her life. Standing bravely before one of King Smythe’s large soldiers, the bard warmed to the audience of her sister and the beefy soldier. "My cooking is the best in the land. Why, just give me a little fire and any old frying pan and watch out...you get a glimpse of the Elysian Fields. Why, the only cook better than me is my sister here. Lila’s known throughout the realm for her luscious, tender meats that melt in your mouth and breads that make your toes curl with delight. Just think of the mouth-watering cuisine you and the king will be missing if you put us to work in the fields instead of the castle kitchen. What a tragic waste that would be." Grasping her sister’s hand and looking sweetly at the hardened mercenary’s face she wondered if he had ever had a delightful feeling in his life. She could only hope that he wanted such a feeling.

"The Elysian Fields, huh? You had better be right about your cooking or you’ll be getting a glimpse of those fields real soon little ones. Follow me to the kitchen, then."

Lila felt the air finally leave her lungs and managed a weak smile for her courageous Gabrielle as they made their way behind the dark soldier.

Smythe was elated at his continued good fortune. After forcing Dr. Melinda Pappas to travel back in time with him, he assumed she had died in the process. She had lain so still and pale in the ruins of the Treasury in Delphi. Apparently she had only been unconscious. Looking at her now, reclining on the king-sized lounge in his chambers, he thought how good it was to br king. "You are fortunate my dear, that the big man brought you here." He considered sitting beside her but walked to the window instead, savoring the the fresh country air.

Chagrined because she was once again in a compromising position with the vile man, Mel sat up straight, ignoring the pain that knifed its way along her swollen left leg. "Would you define ‘fortunate’?"

"The first time I saw your picture in the newspaper Dr. Pappas, I knew you were meant to be my queen...I see you have lost your glasses. You are even more beautiful without them."

"I may be without my glasses Mr. Smythe, but I’m not blind. Don’t you realize you can’t stay here. Both of us must return to our own time...the twentieth century. Otherwise the whole universe will rip apart. Everything, past present and future will be destroyed. You certainly would not be king then, now would you!"

"Bah! Don’t try to distract me with such ideas Dr. And don’t test my goodwill toward you. I am a man of great vision. Unlike the few others who were called, I will complete my destiny. Alexander the Great, Napoleon Bonaparte...even Adolph Hitler was not my equal. I am like a god to these Greeks. I am a god!" Walking across the wooden floor Smythe sat next to Mel and pulled her chin toward him to make direct eye contact with her. "Make no mistake about it Melinda...you will be my mate and my queen. Willingly or unwillingly, it makes no difference to me."

Melinda turned her head away from the despised contact. Having seen insanity glittering in his eyes she understood the futility of attempting to reason with him Instead, she undertook a new way of relating to him, desperately hoping she would be able to carry it off. Gently touching his cold hand, Mel steeled herself and gazed into Smythe’s eyes with what she hoped he would consider to be sincerity and not the desperation she felt. "You have a masterful way about you. Perhaps you could persuade me to be your queen. But I’m from the south, you know...I must have some time to settle in my heart wether or not our destinies are woven together as you say." With a little time and a lot of luck she would find a way to free Hercules. They would complete the task Apollo had given them. They had to. Offering Smythe a disarming smile, she lifted his pale hand to her cheek.

Foolish in his hope, Smythe’s ego equaled his daring. "Then I will give you time. Two days should be more than enough time for you to decide that you belong to me. And two days is as long as my patience will last. You look tired my dear. Rest now and I will arrange for your refreshment. We must see to it that your leg heals properly now mustn’t we. I will return after I attend to court business." Automatically retracting her leg before Smythe could touch it, she silently reprimanded herself. <Don’t let him see your loathing Mel!> But Smythe was already thinking of other things, leaving the room without noticing how she shrank from his touch.

Melinda settled down into the lounge. She had to think of a plan and quickly. Time was running out. In spite of her good intentions she quickly fell asleep.

Chapter Seventeen ~ IDENTITY CRISES

Gabrielle took the order for food to be brought to the King’s chambers from the surly guard. His mood had matched hers perfectly. And now Lila was crying over the fate of their village. They had lost many friends, but their parents had been taken as slaves for the fields. They had all lost their freedom. But now Gabrielle chose to think of the future. She would mourn later. Now she had to think of a plan to rescue her people from slavery. What would Xena do, she asked herself over and over again. "A good question", she answered.

For once she lifted hot nutbread from the hearth without being tempted to taste it. Slicing the aromatic bread, she placed the loaf on a tray next to the roasted beef sliced as thin as she could manage. "I hope the King likes it real dry," she remarked to Lila who sat sniffling by the fire. "Pray the gods set us free or at least give us a plan to survive Lila." She picked up the tray and headed for the King’s chambers.

Lila watched her sister depart and replied with a broken heart, "Where were the gods when our village was set on fire? Where are the gods now?"

Arriving at the top of the stairway Gabrielle placed the food-laden tray on the floor so she could knock on the door. She knocked. "Food", she announced. No response. She knocked again, harder. Finally hearing a woman’s voice thick with sleep bidding her to enter, she opened the door and carried the tray into the room. She locked onto a familiar pair of sky blue eyes and gasped, nearly spilling the food onto the floor. She drew nearer to the woman. "Xena?!"

"Janice?!" Mel was overjoyed to see Janice but was stunned at her feminine appearance. She had never seen her wearing a skirt before, nor such an unusual top that exposed the strength of her arms and abdomen. Realizing she was being addressed by the name of Xena once again, she was confused.

Both women raised their eyebrows and responded in unison, "Huh?!"

Autolycus left Janice at their campsite. It was his turn to get dinner and he hoped to bring down a large fowl since they had not eaten in almost a day. <This is not good for The King of Thieves...When did I first begin to think of myself in the third person?> He searched the skyline for fat birds.

At camp, Janice leaned her head back against a tree. She closed her eyes and let her mind drift to Mel. <Is she alright? Damnit to hell, If Smythe hurt her in any way I’ll make his death an exquisite torture, long and extremely painful.> Janice let herself imagine Purciville Smythe begging for her to kill him. A smile came to her lips just before she was jarred from her reverie by strong hands that drew her up into a soft, firm shoulder.

Xena was beside herself with joy. Gabrielle was alive! She had seen Gabrielle’s blackened eyes as she leaned against the tree and prayed King Smythe and his soldiers had done no worse to her. She lowered her head and kissed her friend on her forehead several times, letting tears of relief flow down her cheeks. "Oh Gabrielle, I was afraid that you’d been killed..." Xena hugged Janice even tighter in her embrace. "I couldn’t think of a way to rescue you and it was driving me mad. But you’ve escaped and I’ve found you. Thank the Gods!" Xena bent her head down to kiss her beloved companion once more when Janice put out her arms and pushed the warrior away.

Janice was impressed with the strength of Xena’s passion for her protegee but had no desire to be the target of it any further. "Look, Xena, I’m going to tell you something that’s going to be hard for you to believe and I’m only going to say it once, so listen up."

Shocked anew, Xena turned her head and watched Gabrielle smirk. <Zeus on Mount Olympus! Gabrielle didn’t smirk...did she?>

"I’m not Gabrielle. My name is Dr. Janice Covington, but I’d like it if you called me Mad Dog." Xena’s jaw dropped. Watching Xena’s face, Janice felt a strong bond with the warrior princess. Not only had she dedicated her life to the search for information about her life, she looked like Mel. But Mel was sweet <mostly>, while Xena had an aura of compelling strength and confidence.

Xena’s facial features were going through a gamut of emotional expression. First shock, then disappointment and finally curiosity. Her mouth finally closed. Her right eyebrow arched high. "You aren’t Gabrielle, you’re a mad dog?"

Janice raised both her eyebrows, showing her teeth as she offered Xena her biggest smile. "Some call me Mad Dog and I’m starting to like it. Want one?" Janice held out a cigar.

Taking the cigar, Xena cautiously examined it. "What’s this?"

"Its what keeps me sane in this world...Ha, or in any world. Here, I’ll show you how to light it." Startling Xena again when she lit a match, Janice began sucking air through the tightly rolled tobacco leaves in short spurts until she finally smiled with satisfaction and blew out the match. She blew several big smoke rings into the air and Xena, who was fascinated with the Gabrielle look-alike, watched and wondered what kind of medicine was in the smoke that kept Mad Dog sane. Janice looked at Xena. "Bite off the end and spit it out. Then put what’s left in your mouth. Here, I’ll give you a light." Seeing Xena hesitate, Janice encouraged her. "It will help you think clearly for the battle we’re about to wage against King Smythe." Xena still hesitated. "Trust me, you’ll love it."

"Okay, I will," Xena decided, liking the forthright way Mad Dog looked into her eyes. "But let me do the fire thing with the little stick. Show me how you do that." Xena coughed a first, but quickly got the hang of pulling the smoke into her mouth and in minutes had mastered the art of blowing smoke rings. She and Janice were debating on whose smoke rings were the best-formed when Autolycus arrived carrying a large bird.

"Xena! Its good to see you...but for the love of Zeus, do you have to blow smoke too? You two are smelling up the entire realm."

"Autolycus," Xena tilted her head and raised her brow with a smile, "it helps me think...and the three of us are going to think of a plan to rescue Gabrielle and the others from King Smythe."

Autolycus was confused. "Rescue Gabrielle? She is right in front of you, Xena."

Janice looked sheepishly at The King of Thieves, whom she had grown to like in spit of his frequent rambling. "Uh...The truth is I’m not Gabrielle, Autolycus. I’m related to her, but we haven’t actually met because I just arrived here in Greece a few days ago. Lets cook that goose while I tell you both a story."

Xena and The King of Thieves listened intently while Janice told them the outlandishly fantastic tale of her life during the past six months. She told them about Melinda, Xena’s descendent. She told them of she and Mel’s search for the scrolls in the mid-twentieth century, and of the madness of Smythe. "He took my mother and she died. Now he’s taken Mel..."

"And Gabrielle, along with what’s left of her village", Xena added with a mixture of anger and anxiety.

Janice clenched her jaw tightly and spoke through her teeth. "I’m going to kill Smythe before tomorrow is ended. I have sworn it."

"I have made the same vow, Mad Dog." Xena placed a hand firmly on Janice’s shoulder.

Not wanting to be the ‘third man’, but knowing he had no choice, Autolycus put his hand on Janice’s other shoulder. "Count me in. Any friend or relative of Gabrielle’s is a fiend of mine. Whatever it takes, I’m there for you both. Always remember that. The deal about me getting Smythe’s treasure is still on, right?"

Janice shrugged her shoulders, "Yeah, if its alright with Xena."

Xena also shrugged her shoulder. "It’s alright with me...I don’t need the evil man’s ill-gotten treasure."

The trio ate their dinner and plotted the rescue of their loved ones late into the night. While they laid down to get as much rest as they could before the morning’s light, the mighty Zeus began to groan. It was getting harder and harder to keep the hole in the universe within his restraining grasp. He felt his life energy draining from him and hoped the mortals Apollo entrusted to get the Golden Lyre would not take much longer. He no longer had the power to check no them, but his godly senses told him that Hercules was in trouble.

Gabrielle and Mel looked at each other in stunned confusion. Noticing Melinda’s injured leg and thinking she was Xena, Gabrielle quickly put the tray of food on the table and rushed to Mel’s side, sitting on the lounge in King Smythe’s chambers. Hugging Mel tight while her tears flowed freely from her lovely green eyes, Gabrielle finally remembered to speak. "Xena, thank the gods you’re here...But what are you doing here, and what happened to your poor leg?"

Mel enjoyed holding Janice in her arms and leaned into the hug for a minute, thinking how precious it was to feel her tears on her skin. But when the woman in her arms spoke she realized that she was not her beloved friend. This was someone like Hercules, who had thought she was Xena. Melinda pulled away from her, wincing in pain with the effort. She looked deep into sad green eyes. "I’m sorry to tell you this, Gabrielle...you are Gabrielle’s aren’t you?...The author of the Xena Scrolls? Xena’s protegee?"

Hearing these questions come out of Xena’s mouth caused Gabrielle to become not only confused but worried. "You’re scaring me Xena. Too much has happened to play games right now." Gabrielle’s anxiety changed to anger. "My village is burned, the gods only know how many of my people have been killed and the rest of us are now in bondage and you sit here asking me who I am?" Suddenly a dreadful thought occurs to her. "Oh no, Xena! Were you hit on the head or something? Have you lost our memory?" Gabrielle’s hands began to tenderly search Mel’s head for signs of lumps.

Finding it amusing to be fussed over by this woman who bore such a striking resemblance to Janice, she struggled to hold herself in check. "Gabrielle, I’m so sorry to tell you this but there is nothing wrong with my head and I’m not Xena."

"Oh...I get it. You’re Princess Diana. Of course. King Smythe has taken you hostage to extract payment from your father, right?"

"No Gabrielle, I’m not a princess..."

"No? Hmmm. Of course! You’re Meg the tra...Uh, Meg,"

"No ma’am. That’s not who I am either. My name is Melinda Pappas."

Gabrielle felt dizzy. "God’s! There are four of you? There are four women who all look alike. I don’t think I can take this. This is just too much in one day." Gabrielle reached for the comfort of the food tray, grabbed the loaf of nutbread and ate it while Mel patiently explained the misadventure that had brought the two of them together as captives of King Smythe.

"...And now I have to free Hercules. We have to get the Golden Lyre for Apollo and Smythe and I have to return to our own time, otherwise the universe will rip completely apart in just a few days." She looked pleadingly into Gabrielles eyes.

<The same as Xena. Those eyes are just the same, except they aren’t quite as focused.> Choosing to believe the fantastic story because of the one who told it, Gabrielle knew what she would do. Just what Xena would do. Help Melinda Pappas free Hercules and save the universe.

Chapter Eighteen ~ FOILED AGAIN

Gabrielle had no trouble getting the dungeon keys from Captain Thaleos. Although the captain was the one to warn King Smythe about the risk of trusting Hercules, he had no distrust of the injured woman, Melinda Pappas. She had hobbled down the stairs and engaged him so thoroughly in flirtatious conversation that even Gabrielle was impressed. Just as the soldier’s lips met Mel’s, Gabrielle lifted the key ring from his pocket. Holding the captain’s head in both her hands, Mel turned her head, opened kne big blue eye and looked intently at Gabrielle, sending her a message to hurry. Gabrielle quickly retreated to the kitchen and cleared her throat as she re-entered the hallway. "Oh, excuse me...I just need to collect the food tray from the King’s chambers. May I help you back up the stairs My Lady?"

Mel pulled away from the besotted captain. "Oh my, yes. I must await the King’s return. Thank you...slave girl." Mel took Gabrielle’s arm. Leaving the captain behind, they made their way painfully up the stairs to the King’s chambers.

"Slave girl? You could have called me Gabrielle."

"I didn’t want him to think we knew each other. He might have gotten suspicious."

"I doubt the poor man could have put two and two together at the time. Do all the women flirt like that where you come from?"

"Why yes, mostly. It comes naturally to us southern belles. We’re born with unusual charm and grace."

Mel limped painfully to the lounge.

"Who told you that?"

"Why everybody in the south just knows it."

"And I thought Joxer was deluded."

"What? Who’s Joxer?"

"Never mind charming one. How’s your leg? Can you go back down the stairs again? If we time it right, we should be able to reach the dungeon without being detected. Once there, we’ll free Hercules. Lila will have the horses waiting just outside the castle wall. By the way, can you ride?"

"Side saddle."

"Not with that leg, Melinda."

"I’ll ride just fine Gabrielle. Don’t worry."

"Its my job to worry."

"Yours too?" Mel laughed. "I’m ready, lets go."

Perspiration covered Hercules as he reached the end of his ability to keep from breaking the chains that bound him. How could he do nothing? But if he escaped and could not rescue Melinda in time Smythe would have her killed. Why did none of the gods help them? A rattling at the dungeon door caused Hercules to word if he would live much longer. He was startled to see Melinda and Gabrielle enter together. "Mel! Gabrielle!...The gods have heard me! Where’s Xena?"

"If only I knew", Gabrielle’s responded sadly. "We’ve come to free you. There are horses waiting for us just outside the castle." Gabrielle began to unlock the the heavy chains binding his big arms.

Hercules’ questions continued. "Do you know where the Golden Lyre is? And we have to take King Smythe with us. Where is he?"

Mel’s eyebrows came together. "We haven’t had time to find the Golden Lyre, but King Smythe is holding court."

The dungeon filled with harsh laughter. "Wrong my dear. King Smythe is here. And he is so disappointed that you have chosen to be a traitor to your preferred destiny." Thinking Gabrielle was Janice, he barred his teeth and hissed. "So, we meet again Mad Dog. You’re more intelligent than your father but still no match for me."

The quick tongue of the bard could not be restrained. "I know you’re upset your Majesty, but consider the wisdom of what Melinda Pappas and Hercules are going to tell you. If you don’t return to your own time, we will all die. That means you too. Ask Hercules. He is not known to lie."

Smythe laughed hard and tears formed in the corners of his eyes. He grabbed onto the nearby shoulder of Captain Thaleos who wore the look of a betrayed lover.

Hercules’ voice was deep and calm. "Its true Smythe. If you don’t believe me, bring the Golden Lyre to the Sanctuary of Athena with us and hear it from Apollo himself."

Gathering himself together, Smythe stopped laughing. "you three are pathetic. You could’ve been my queen Melinda. As it is, like your friends here, you have until noon tomorrow to live." Turning to the captain he spit out his orders. "Chain them together. If any one of them, tries to escape, kill them. Otherwise, they will be hung by the neck until they are dead at noon tomorrow. Post fifty guards and see to it that the gallows are prepared in the courtyard." Walking past his soldiers, Smythe headed for the room that held the Golden Lyre.

Smythe’s movements were precise as he made his way up the narrow stairway of the tower. Unlocking the room at the top of the stairs, he went to the table where the Golden Lyre rested on its stand. Picking up the heavy metal, he ran his fingers gently over the golden strings. Energy flowed into his body with each harmonious vibration produced by the sacred musical instrument. He absorbed the tones and smiled with satisfaction. "The Golden Lyre is mine and now I’ll live forever. Do you hear that Harry? You miserable bastard! You thought you were so much better than me. Bah! Do you see what’s happened? I’ve become a god. I’ve gone back in time and the Golden Lyre is mine." His corrupt laughter filled the small room. "And you’ll soon be seeing your foolish little daughter...since she’ll be dead too." Returning the instrument to its stand, Smythe left the room and locked the thick wooden door behind him. He wood soon be ready to conquer not only Greece, but the world. Laughter echoed down the long stairway.

Chapter Nineteen ~ ENTERING THE GATES

Janice, Xena and Autolycaus rode on a cart they had ‘borrowed’ from peasants assigned to King Smythe’s fields. A blanket and fresh hay covered the Gatling gun and stock of grenades. Xena was glad to see Lila by the side of the road, several horses in her possession. "Lila! Thank the gods you’re alive. Where’s Gabrielle?"

When Lila saw Xena she began to have hope that her family and the other Poteidaian survivors would be saved. "Oh Xena! Gabrielle was supposed to meet me outside the castle last night but she never came. She said she would need extra horses for Hercules and a woman named Melinda..."

"Mel!" breathed Janice, "I knew she was alive!"

" But they never came", Lila lamented. "I heard a soldier say that Hercules and two women traitors were going to be hung in the courtyard at noon today. You’ve got to save them Xena!" Lila thought she had cried all her tears already but now more made their way to her her eyes.

Xena tucked Lila against her shoulder in a comforting hug. "That’s just what we’re going to do." After a moment she requested information. "Tell us the layout of the castle, Lila."

Lila pulled away from Xena and stared wide-eyed at Janice. "Who...?"

Xena laughed. "No Lila, your mind isn’t playing tricks on you." Xena quickly gave Lila a synopsis of events that led to Janice, Mel and Smythe coming to Greece.

Lila was skeptical. "It sounds impossible. Do you really believe they come from thousands of years in the future Xena?"

Janice was irritated at being delayed. "Of course she believes it. Do I look like someone who would go out of my way to make up a crazy story like this?"

"Actually, you do look like a story-teller", Lila replied.

"Trust me, its all too damned true. Look, have you ever seen anything like this before?" Janice pulled out her wallet and showed Lila an unsmiling picture of her beside a smiling Mel. "Or this?" She lit a match pulled from her pocket.

"And what about this?" Autolycus lifted the blackout and hay off the Gatling gun and granades.

Lila nodded her head. "Okay." She did not have anything to lose by believing. She told them all she knew about the castle and the courtyard including the location of the soldiers tents.

The King of Thieves watched Lila as she talked. A revision of their plan of attack seemed called for since Gabrielle, Mel and Hercules were going to hung at noon. "Lila", he began, "how would you like to be my wife for the morning? Its what every young woman dreams of you know, to marry the best catch in the realm."

"You’re making yourself sound like a fish or something, but I’ll help save my people no matter what I have to do."

Xena smiled at her friend’s sister. "Gabrielle would be proud of you, Lila."

Autolycus was temporarily deflated. "Well, as long as you’re willing to sacrifice yourself...here’s the plan..."

Janice and Xena were to hide themselves under the cart while Autolycus and Lila posed as a newlywed couple seeking supplies. The timing would be critical. Too soon and they would have too linger too long, drawing the soldier’s suspicions. Too late and their loved ones would be dead when the cart entered the courtyard. Xena and Janice were ready. Autolycus and Lila looked at each other with apprehension and then found the courage to begin.

Before sliding under the cart and over the axle to join Janice, Xena addressed Lila and Autolycus. "When Mad Dog and I start to attack, I want you both to get out of the way. Autolycus, I’m trusting you to get Lila to safety. The soldiers will be focused on us so you should be able to open the gate and slip through. Take Lila to her parents in the King’s fields. With any luck we’ll meet you there before nightfall."

Autolycus had to ask. "With the treasure?"

"As much as we can carry", Xena assured The King of Thieves.

"Captain Thaleos, there is a man and his wife at the gate seeking assistance.

Should we let them in?"

"By all means, let them in. If the wife is good-looking we may keep her and kill the man."

"She’s very pretty Captain...and young."

"Well then, I know how to put a smile back on the King’s face." The two mercenaries chuckled on their way to the gate. "Well let them watch the hangings and then kill the man." He yelled instructions to open the gate and approached the cart. "Welcome to the castle of King Smythe. How can we be of assistance?"

Autolycus placed his arm protectively around Lila. "My wife and I have traveled far on our way to Amphipolis. Our supplies were ransacked by thieves yesterday, can you imagine? We hoped the King would spare us some supplies for the rest of our journey in exchange for this family heirloom." Autolycus pulled large ruby ring from his finger and offered it to the captain.

Captain Thaleos accepted the ring, an added bonus. "On behalf of King Smythe I welcome you to his castle. "We are soon to hang three traitors. Afterwards we will take care of you and your wife." The captain smiled at Lila and stepped aside.

"Thank you. May the gods bless you." Autolycus took his arm from Lila and prodded the horses forward through the castle gates, into the courtyard. Lila gasped when she saw Gabrielle and Hercules, with a woman who resembled Xena limping and leaning on him for support, being led up the stairs to the gallows.

Chapter Twenty ~ THE BATTLE

Captain Thaleos acknowledged the presence of King Smythe who stood at his chamber window and looked down into the courtyard. The captain waited for the signal from Smythe indicating that the hangman should pull the lever and remove the flooring from underneath the three traitors. Janice and Xena sprang into action, coming out from beneath the cart. Autolycus and Lila immediately jumped down from the cart’s headboard and ran in the direction of the gate.

Xena threw her chakrum in a direct line, splitting the hangman’s ribs and heart. She leapt into the air, executing a somersault midway through her jump. She landed on the gallows and quickly cut the ropes connecting Gabrielle, Mel and Hercules to the gallows. Xena push them to the back of the platform and then down to the ground where they were protected from the bullets that Janice had begun to spray into the crowd of soldiers.

Janice cranked the nine millimeter shells thought the barrel of the Gatling gun and pivoted in a three-hundred and sixty degree pattern hitting a majority of the soldiers that had packed together to watch the grisly hangings. Captain Taleos climbed into the cart and was ready to remove Janice’s head from her shoulders when she turned and knocked his sword to the ground with a back-handed blow. She followed with a sweeping kick to the captain’s head. The kick broke his neck and propelled his body through the air before it fell limply to the ground. All the while, Mad Dog Covington wore a gleeful grin. Mel had risen from behind the gallows in time to see Janice in deadly action against the captain. She saw the feral mask in her friend’s face. "Janice!", she gasped and her hands flew to cover her mouth. Gabrielle pulled Mel down to the ground.

Janice began throwing grenades at the swarm of soldiers responding with alarm from their tenet, Xena began pulling pins and lobbing her cache of grenades directly at the tents, killing dozens of soldiers at a time with each explosion.

Watching the annihilation of his army from his chamber window, Smythe was in shock. "How can this be?" he wondered at the bloody massacre of his troops. Then in anger, "I am a god...a god!" He ran from his chamber to the safety of the Golden Lyre.

Groans and screams of the dismembered and the dying filled the air along with the heavy iron smell of blood. Hercules joined Mad Dog and Xena as they fought and killed all the remaining mercenaries willing to fight to the death. There were some who simply fled. Soon it was over and they were covered with blood. Realizing the battle was at an end Hercules turned to Xena, finally able to greet her. "We still make a good team."

"Yes, we do", responded Xena. "And the weapons from the future didn’t hurt our cause any. Frightening, huh?" Her grim smile was made frightful by the blood on her face as she observed the multitude of dead. None of them had ever seen so many dead at one time. It was a horrifying victory.

Gabrielle was finally able to separate herself from a stricken Mel and she ran to her friend. "Xena! There’s so much blood I can’t tell...are you hurt?"

"Only a few nicks and bruises I think." Xena wanted to engulf Gabrielle in her arms but she was too bloody. Gabrielle, uncaring of the gore in her need to touch Xena, leaned into her and clasped her hands behind her back, resting her head on her chest. Xena was suddenly overwhelmed. She could not speak so she simply held her friend tightly.

Hercules reached Mel and pulled her to her feet while supporting her weight.

"Its over Mel. All we have to do is find Smythe and the Lyre."

Mel clung to Hercules and cried into his shoulder, unable to shut out the sight, smells and sounds around her. She trembled uncontrollably. "Oh Hercules, I want to be glad we’re alive...but how abominable this all is. Hercules gently rocked Mel in a protective gesture and lifted her in his arms to carry her to the cart.

Janice finished tying a tourniquet around her knee and limped to the cart.

She observed the way Mel and Hercules remained touching each other. "Good to see you’re alive, Mel." <Damn, I want to hold her but she’s still hanging on to his big shoulders.>

As if in a dream, Mel saw Janice’s faced covered with drying blood and turned her head away as she gasped, "Oh no! I can’t believe all of this!"

Hercules knew that Mel was in shock as he continued holding her trembling form.

Janice’s heart became numb at the rejection from her friend. "I’m sure sorry you had to be here Mel." Turning her gaze to Hercules, Mad Dog Covington had one purpose on her mind. "I’m going after Smythe. Do you know where he is?"

Xena and Gabrielle approached the cart in time to hear Mad Dog’s question and the danger in her voice.

Hercules smoothed Mel’s hair while he answered the question and opinted to Smythe’s chamber window. "I saw him at the window soon after the battle began...but you can’t kill him Janice."

"Its alright, you can call me Mad Dog", interrupted Janice. She noticed Mel’s sharp intake of breath as she gripped the big man’s shoulders more tightly.

Hercules frowned. "I’d rather call you Janice."

"Suit yourself...Why can’t I kill the demon bastard. Don’t you know that he’ll continue to spread his evil if I don’t kill him?"

"I don’t doubt it Janice. But he can’t die here. You’ll have to take him back to your own time for that kind of justice." Hercules explained the mission that Apollo had given him. Mad Dog and Xena believed him and were amazed.

"It fits well with the rest of my life. Its just too crazy to make up", Mad Dog noted.

Gabrielle, recovering from the grisly scene surrounding them, was able to appreciate the aepic nature of the adventure she was now a part of. "This is going to make one hades of a story."

Xena smirked, "Always the bard. So, lets find Smythe and get this adventure over with."

They found Smythe huddled in a corner of the room at the top of the tower. He held the Golden Lyre in his arms, chanting "The Golden Lyre is mine..." Hercules had no trouble taking the instrument from the deposed king.

The two pairs of look-alikes had no time to reflect on meeting each other. It was enough for them to acknowledge one another and share their approval, although Xena and Gabrielle were concerned about the well being of their counterparts who seemed lost inside themselves. They said goodbye.

While Mel, Hercules, Mad Dog and Smythe traveled back to the Sanctuary of Athena, Xena, and Autolycus began to help Gabrielle and the Poteidaian survivors rebuild their villlage. Autolycus even gave a substantial portion of King Smythe’s treasure for the cause. And in time, Hercules was able to convince him to return what belonged to the Treasury. After all, The King of Thieves was an honorable man who decided it was best to stay in the good graces of the gods.

Apollo was quick to recieve the Golden Lyre and thank the mortals who completed their task with little time to spare. Hercules regreted that there was only a brief time to speak with Mel and Janice who were still barely speaking and obviously uncomfortable with each other. He hoped they would reconcile when they returned to their own time. "Don’t forget me Mel. I certainly won’t forget you. He gave her one last hug before speaking to Janice. "Be patient Janice."

Having no clue that Hercules was refering to Mel, Mad Dog assumed he was talking about Smythe. "I’ll be patient when Smythe is strapped into the electric chair and they pull the switch." Hercules did not know what an electric chair was but surmised that it would bring about the death of Smythe. Smythe squinted his eyes as he watched Mad Dog Covington. One of his hands slipped out of the ropes that bound his wrists.

Apollo stepped forward and instructed Mad Dog and Mel to stand next to Smythe and Mad Dog’s horse, Nacho. The beautiful, bright god sang a song of healing and touched Mel’s broken leg. Then he touched Mad Dog’s sutured head, discolored eyes and wounded leg. "I’ll send you back back whole in body, if not soul." Then a scroll appeared in his hands and he chanted the words of a religious ritual. The air screeched and roared. The ground shook. Three people and a horse vanished from the Sanctuary of Athena.

Apollo came close to Zeus and strummed the golden threads of the Golden Lyre until harmonious chords flooded the space around them. Healing energy vibrated through the fabric of time and space. Zeus himself was filled with energy. The father of the gods opened his hands and saw that the hole he had struggled with for so long had finaly disappeared. Life would go on.

Chapter Twenty One ~ WOUNDED HEART

Mad Dog struggled along with Mel and Smythe to remain standing as the ground beneath them stilled and the roar subsided to a screetch. Then all was still and quiet. The four time-travelers had returned to the museum. Nacho whinnied and nudged Mel with his nose. As Mel stumbled to the side, unaccustomed to her healthy left leg, Mad dog moved to support her. Taking advantage of the distraction, Smythe lunged forward and grabbed the pistol from Mad Dog’s holster. Cursing herself for allowing Smythe to get the upper hand, Mad Dog placed her body between Mel and Smythe.

Smythe was ecstatic with his victory and his voice shook with excitement. "The tables are turned once again Mad Dog. I hereby sentence you to death for your crimes against my kingdom...you murdered my army!" Smythe leveled the pistol and shot Mad Dog just as she dove toward him.

"Janice!" Mel shouted as she watched the two engage in mortal combat. She saw a bright red stain appear at Mad Dog’s shoulder.

Writhing on the floor, Smythe pushed the pistol against Mad Dog’s clothes and pulled the trigger again, shooting a hole in her chest. "No!" Mel sreamed and dropped to the floor.

Mad Dog hit Smythe squarely on the jaw and his head snapped to the side with a crack, his jaw broken. She pushed the hand that held the pistol above his head and slammed it again and again on the floor until he dropped it. Mad Dog was weakening from blood loss and knew she would not be able to continue for long. <I can’t let him kill Mel!> Smythe felt her grip lose power and her knew he had her. "I want you to know something before I execute you and Melinda." He spoke even though his broken jaw made it difficult. "Your mother didn’t kill herself all those years ago. Rosalind was going to leave me," he spit out. "She was going to return to Harry so I shot her."

Mad Dog suddenly grinned and rolled Smythe forcefully onto his stomach. He started to push himself up off the floor when Mad Dog grabbed his chin with one hand and pulled his head toward her while she placed her other hand on the top of his head. She moved her hands sharply in opposite directions causing his neck to break. Blood now pouring from her chestwound, Mad Dog rolled to the side of Smythe’s body and mumbled before the world faded to black. "You never knew when to quit, Smythe."

With one of her hands held between Aunt Helen’s warm palms, Mel finished her statement to the inspector at the police station. She had omitted and modified her version of what occured during the past month in order to avoid being labelled a lunatic. And now it was over. All she wanted was to go home to sleep. And forget.



After spending a month in a hospital bed, Mad Dog Covington was nearly ready to go home. Her shoulder wound had been deep and the bullet that entered her chest had nicked her heart before it exited her back, causing the lining of her heart to fill with blood. It was a miracle that she was alive. She should have been happy, but she had never felt so empty. She looked forward to the long visits from Helen because it distracted her from her unhappy thoughts. And she looked forward to times like she was having now, the brief visits from Mel <even though it hurts to see fear haunting her eyes whenever she looks at me. I can’t change it and I can’t blame anyone but myself. I knew Mel would shrink from me if she ever saw my rage. We don’t have the same bond anymore. We never will.> Mad Dog watched her friend contemplate how many cards she wanted to draw to in the poker game they were playing to pass the afternoon. "How many?" Mad Dog inquired for the second time.

"Four", Mel finally replied.

"Anyone ever tell you that you don’t have a poker face?"

"Only you, Janice. You’re the only one I play poker with."

"Don’t think I don’t appreciate it but I think I’ve had enough cards for today. Its not quite the same without scotch and a cigar."

"Alright." Mel sat back with a blank look. After a moment a cheery nurse entered the room.

The nurse placed a thermometer in Mad Dog’s mouth and took her wrist in her hand while she counted heartbeats. "It’s time for your daily walk Dr. Covington. Perhaps your friend would like to help you today. Would you Dr. Pappas? You know the routine, just out side to the patio and back."

"Yes, alright." Mel waited for the nurse to leave the room before getting a robe from the closet and helping Janice get her arms though the sleeves.

Mad Dog felt Mel’s formality. "You don’t have to help. I can do this myself."

"Your nurse placed her trust with me and I will honor it."

"Okay then." Mad Dog used a cane to give her the leverage she needed to stand. "Give me your arm." Mel placed her hand on top of Mad Dog’s arm.

"No...let me hold on to your arm, Mel."

They walked slowly to the hallway and then out to the the patio. Mad Dog took a deep breath. "Mmmm. Fresh air." She looked up at the sky and took another deep breath, quickly becoming lightheaded. "Uh oh", she said and fell forward pushing Mel onto a lounge with her weight. Mel responded automatically, wrapping her arms around Mad Dog and pulling her down on top of herself.

"Sweet Jesus Janice, are you hurt?" Mel clung to her and looked at her friend with concern. Her chest ached, but no more than usual. Mad Dog laughed as she looked into Mel’s eyes. <Even glasses can’t keep Mel’s eyes from shining. They are so clear...so blue...> Her gaze lowered to Mel’s lips and she stopped laughing. She let her open mouth hover over Mel’s. Warm breath mingle with her own. She closed her eyes.

Mad Dog kissed her for a full ten seconds before Mel responded with a yielding sigh. Placing her hands on either side of Mad Dog’s face, she held her head gently and a low moan escaped her throat when the kiss deepened. Time stood still until the hand at her waist moved to her breast The heat from Mad Dog’s hand caused her nipples to swell with blood and an alternating current began to pulse from the core of her womanhood. Devouring lips moved down her neck and Mel arched her back.

"How are you two making out?" Nurse Cheerful stuck her head out of the door to inquire after her patient and her friend. Seeing her patient laying on top of her flushed friend she raised her eyebrows. "Sweet Mother of God, don’t tell me!...I’ll let the doctor know you’re feeling well enough to go home." She closed the door.

A sick feeling filled Mad Dog. <Damn! I’ve brought Mel to this! I don’t know what came over me.> "I’m sorry." Mad Dog grabbed for her cane and rose to her feet as promptly as she could.

Mel was trying to recover from the effects of Mad Dog’s kisses and the shock that their intimacy had been witnessed. Her head was spinning. "I don’t know what came over me", Mad Dog continued, noticing Mel’s shocked expression. "Please don’t be afraid because it’ll never happen again, I promise you that." <I was close to raping her. I’ve given her more reason to fear me. What the hell is wrong with me?> "I think you should go home Mel. We’ll talk later." Mad Dog left the patio and walked to her room.

Part of Mel wanted to go to her friend and convince her to continue the carnal exploration where they left off. <Sweet Jesus. I haven’t felt so alive in a long time...if ever. Does Janice think she was the only one doing the kissing? What can I say to her? Mercy!> Another part of her wanted to run. she had just recently discovered that Janice was capable of levels of violence incomprehensible to her, bearing in mind she was a genteel lady. She drove home and fixed herself a drink made with scotch and ice with the hope of waking up.

It did not take long for Mad Dog to make up her mind. She knew what it was to suffer public scorn. She grew up knowing that her father was called "grave robber" behind his back. To remain with Mel would bring worse than that to her friend. <I can’t let that happen.> She remembered how Mel’s body responded to hers and was aroused again. <Damnit to hell, I can’t trust myself with my own best friend.> She checked out of the hospital and took the first train headed west. <I will write Mel and Helen and explain that after being in the hopsital so long, I had to take a vacation. Yeah, that will do.> She did not stop traveling until she reached the western shore of San Francisco.

Chapter Twenty-Two ~ WHAT SHE WANTS

The characteristic humidity of South Carolina kept the forest surrounding the Pappas mansion lush and green. The rich abundance of the scenery before her brought tears to Mel’s eyes, it was such a contrast to the barreness of her soul. She looked down at her swollen abdomen and snorted. <Now that’s funny...No one looking at me would call me barren. But that’s how I feel, inside my heart. Oh Janice, where are you? Are you well?

Soon after Janice had disappeared from her life she and Aunt Helen had both received leters from her postmarked in Dallas, Texas. A private detective had been unable to locate her and now six months later, Mel wondered if she would ever she Janice again. Planning for the arrival of her babies had kept her going, but as the due date neared, Mel’s yearning for Janice grew. <I need to share this with her...I need her. I love her with a lover’s passion and I guess even a genteel lady is made of flesh and blood.> Mel sadly considered the irony of being pregnant by a man who wanted Xena but couldn’t have her and that fact that she wanted to share her life with Janice, a woman who who didn’t want her. Perhaps Ares’ curse was still in effect after all. <Sweet Jesus Mel! Now don’t think like that. The doctor said you are going to have two healthy babies. Twins, for goodness sake! Think on that and be grateful.>

Mel’s social standing had altered since the news of her unmarried pregnant condition became known and Aunt Helen had helped her put that kind of judgement in its proper place. "Remember the fall line Melinda, the place where the rivers descend in falls and rapids as they leave the Piedmont Plateau and enter the Coastal Plain? Picture it in your mind. Now think of what will be important to you forty years from now and in eternity to come. What comes to your mind? Is it the socialites of Columbia, South Carolina? No. What’s important is what the people you love think about you. And I think you’re about the purest-hearted person I know, Melinda. Your children are fortunate to have a mother who will love them and care for them without reservation. Because that’s what you will do...that’s how you love."

Mad Dog Covington had sentenced herself to hard labor on Fisherman’s Warf for the crime of kissing Mel. <Okay, it was more than just a kiss. If the nurse hadn’t interrupted us that day, I would have done things with Mel that makes even me blush just to think about...Stop thinking about it Covington!> For months she drifted almost mindlessly, her body performing its work automatically, fully recovered from the injuries that Smythe had inflicted.

She thought of going to sea on one of the merchant ships, but knew that her tendency to become seasick would change her sentence to torture instead of just hard labor. <No, I don’t want to be tortured any more than my thoughts are torturing me already!>

Then came the Longshorman’s Strike and she was stuck without the distraction of hard physical labor. She had no interest in drinking because that only led to her bending someone’s ear about the sad state of everything, She found herself sitting in a sidewalk cafe leisurely reading The Chronicle. Suddenly the words jumped out at her. She re-read the press release. "LEADING SOUTH CAROLINA CITIZEN IN HOSPITAL AFTER CAR CRASH". Mad Dog’s heart stopped as the familiar names apeared in the article. "...Helen Anderson was taken to Columbia Hospital yesterday morning after suffering serious injury in a car crash that left her husband, Dr. Saul Anderson, dead. She is listed in critical condition..."

Mad Dog caught the next cable car as it came by. She quickly threw her sparse belongings in a duffel bag when she got to her small apartment and then caught a ride on the next plane that would help her find her way back to South Carolina.

The hospital room was brightly lit, showing every bruise on Helen’s aristocratic face. Mad Dog took a fine-boned hand in hers and raised it to her lips, placing a soft kiss lightly upon it. Helen opened her eyes. "Janice...I hoped you’d come home, you wicked child..." Her voice was weak, but her love for Janice was clearly communicated.

"Don’t talk mom. Save your strength. I’ll just sit here with you while you rest."

"Don’t tell me what to do", she wheezed. "I know I don’t have much time left on this earth, and that’s just as well. But I have a few things to say to you young woman, and you’re going to listen." She closed her eyes a moment and caught her beath. "I’m so fortunate to have found Saul. They time we spent together made my life complete." Tears formed in her eyes and she stopped again. "We could have had many more years together if mother hadn’t been such a stubborn snob, Lord forgive her...And now I’m laying here on my death bed, warning you Janice. Grow up! Don’t waste any more precious time. Open that heart of yours and admit you need Mel. Promise me you’ll talk with her.

Mad Dog was stunned. "You don’t know what you’re asking Helen. I’d do anything for you but I can’t hurt Mel by telling her how I feel about her."

"You’ve got it backwards Janice. You’re hurting Mel by staying away...by not telling her. She loves you terribly...She made a mistake eight months ago but its you that she needs. She loves you more than I’ve ever known somebody to love another. And I know you feel the same, wether you’ll admit it or not. For Mel’s sake, promise me. I want to die knowing that my niece will be happy...that you’ll be happy. She needs you now more than ever." Helen gripped Mad Dog’d hand.

<Love is such a pain in the... She gives me no choice!> "Alright. I’ll talk with Mel." Mad Dog kissed Helen gently on the cheek.

Helen breathed a relieved sigh before the nurse came to check on her patient and inform Mad Dog that her visit had to end. "You can come back tomorrow."

Helen passed into the next world later that night while Mel quietly held her hand. "Goodbye Aunt Helen", Mel said when she realized she was alone in the room. "Say hello to Simon and Saul for me." Tears started to fall as she realized her children would not know her beloved aunt. <But I will tell them all about her.>

Chapter Twenty-Three ~ MAD DOG’S SACRED TREASURE

The priest arrived and talked quietly with Mel before the funeral service began. Mel accepted his kind words and looked up in time to see Mad Dog shut her car door and walk across the freshly cut lawn. As if in a dream, Mel noticed her green pantsuit and black shirt. She noticed the way her hair glistened with fiery highlights in the sun. She noticed the way she looked at her distended abdomen and smirked. <Sweet Jesus! I’m so glad she’s here. But what must she be thinking?>

<Mel’s pregnant! How?...when? And what was Helen thinking when she said all that stuff about Mel and me? She left out a whole bunch of details, that’s for damn sure.> Mad Dog came close to Mel, her heart beating painfully. "I can’t say how sorry I am about Helen and Saul, Mel."

Tears filled Mel’s eyes for the hundredth time that day. "Oh Janice, I know you loved them too. I can’t believe they’re really gone, you now?"

Mad Dog shifted uncomfortably as silent tears trailed down her own cheeks.

"Yeah, I know." The priest began the ceremony and Mel pulled Janice down to sit beside her, unable to prevent her hand from holding on to the calloused one of her friend. <No. She’s not my friend anymore...not really.>

Mad Dog and Mel were still sitting in the same position after everyone else had left. Mad Dog remembered her promise to Helen although she wished she could forget. "Mel, who is the father? Is it anyone I know?"

"I wondered if you were ever going to ask me." Remembering the night she conceived, she wished she could tell Janice how she had been thinking of her. "Hercules is the father. It was very cold one night and we comforted each other."

Mad Dog smirked. "’Comfort’. Really? Is that what it’s called?" Seeing the hurt in Mel’s blue eyes, Mad Dog crushed the impulse to hurt her anymore. "I’m sorry Mel. I just didn’t expect to find...I didn’t expect you to be pregnant. You know, I talked with Helen the day before she died. She had some crazy idea that you and I were...well, that we loved each other and should be together. Pretty silly, huh?"

"Do you love me at all, Janice?" Mel placed her hand on Mad Dog’s cheek and her yearning was clear as she searched her face. "I need comforting from you so very badly."

Mad Dog knew that there would be no more hiding from Mel. She deserved the truth. "I do love you. Melinda Pappas, everything that I am, body and soul, loves you something awful."

"Janice", Mel began as her lips descended on their way to meet the smaller woman, "I just have one request. Stop calling yourself Mad Dog...you’re with a lady now." The kiss was soft and tender and full of promise.

Janice accepted the terms of the lady as she growled deep in her chest, "Alright, my belle," and at last surrendered to her love. Taking Mel’s well-formed hand with its freshly manicured nails in her own roughened palm, Janice kissed her fingertips lightly. "Lets go home and comfort each other."

The twins were perfect treasures. A girl named Helen Xena Pappas and a boy named Simon Hercules Pappas. Janice proudly passed out cigars in the hospital waiting room. The nurse who helped deliver little Simon and Helen had been enjoying her transfer to Labor and Delivery until Janice placed a long Cuban cigar in her hands. "Have you ever seen kids cuter than mine?"

Recognizing her patient of months ago, and remembering the compromising position she had found Dr. Covington and Dr. Pappas in that embarrassing afternoon, Nurse Cheerful put her hand to her breast and exclaimed, "Sweet Mother of God, I don’t believe it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The End and Goodnight ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Back to Main Fan Fiction Page
t her car door and walk across the freshly cut lawn. As if in a dream, Mel noticed her green pantsuit and black shirt. She noticed the way her hair glistened with fiery highlights in the sun. She noticed the way she looked at her distended abdomen and smirked. <Sweet Jesus! I’m so glad she’s here. But what must she be thinking?>

<Mel’s pregnant! How?...when? And what was Helen thinking when she said all that stuff about Mel and me? She left out a whole bunch of details, that’s for damn sure.> Mad Dog came close to Mel, her heart beating painfully. "I can’t say how sorry I am about Helen and Saul, Mel."

Tears filled Mel’s eyes for the hundredth time that day. "Oh Janice, I know you loved them too. I can’t believe they’re really gone, you now?"

Mad Dog shifted uncomfortably as silent tears trailed down her own cheeks.

"Yeah, I know." The priest began the ceremony and Mel pulled Janice down to sit beside her, unable to prevent her hand from holding on to the calloused one of her friend. <No. She’s not my friend anymore...not really.>

Mad Dog and Mel were still sitting in the same position after everyone else had left. Mad Dog remembered her promise to Helen although she wished she could forget. "Mel, who is the father? Is it anyone I know?"

"I wondered if you were ever going to ask me." Remembering the night she conceived, she wished she could tell Janice how she had been thinking of her. "Hercules is the father. It was very cold one night and we comforted each other."

Mad Dog smirked. "’Comfort’. Really? Is that what it’s called?" Seeing the hurt in Mel’s blue eyes, Mad Dog crushed the impulse to hurt her anymore. "I’m sorry Mel. I just didn’t expect to find...I didn’t expect you to be pregnant. You know, I talked with Helen the day before she died. She had some crazy idea that you and I were...well, that we loved each other and should be together. Pretty silly, huh?"

"Do you love me at all, Janice?" Mel placed her hand on Mad Dog’s cheek and her yearning was clear as she searched her face. "I need comforting from you so very badly."

Mad Dog knew that there would be no more hiding from Mel. She deserved the truth. "I do love you. Melinda Pappas, everything that I am, body and soul, loves you something awful."

"Janice", Mel began as her lips descended on their way to meet the smaller woman, "I just have one request. Stop calling yourself Mad Dog...you’re with a lady now." The kiss was soft and tender and full of promise.

Janice accepted the terms of the lady as she growled deep in her chest, "Alright, my belle," and at last surrendered to her love. Taking Mel’s well-formed hand with its freshly manicured nails in her own roughened palm, Janice kissed her fingertips lightly. "Lets go home and comfort each other."

The twins were perfect treasures. A girl named Helen Xena Pappas and a boy named Simon Hercules Pappas. Janice proudly passed out cigars in the hospital waiting room. The nurse who helped deliver little Simon and Helen had been enjoying her transfer to Labor and Delivery until Janice placed a long Cuban cigar in her hands. "Have you ever seen kids cuter than mine?"

Recognizing her patient of months ago, and remembering the compromising position she had found Dr. Covington and Dr. Pappas in that embarrassing afternoon, Nurse Cheerful put her hand to her breast and exclaimed, "Sweet Mother of God, I don’t believe it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The End and Goodnight ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Back to Main Fan Fiction Page