Chapter XIII

Lancelot stood majestically still while the warrior drew the curry comb through his mane. She didn’t speak out loud, but she didn’t need to. He understood her agitation. Her slow, measured strokes were a complete antithesis to the chaos that presently reigned in her mind.

She replaced the comb with the brush, and gently began to groom the stallion’s sides. The Sabre forced the words and the subsequent emotions they caused from her mind, and slowly concentrated solely on the task before her. Gradually, she reached a meditative center, and felt herself calm and focus.

Randi put the brush down, and took the long face in her hands. "Thanks, Lance," she whispered, dropping a light kiss on his nose. She lifted and apple from the nearby treat barrel and held it still while he lipped it from her palm. "You’re a good friend."

The Marine stopped at the door. The eerie silence caused a prickling to run up her spine and her hair to stand on end. There was no sound... none. Even the natural sounds were gone save the slight whistle of the wind. Blue eyes darkened to black, and she was peripherally aware of the scar burning even as the red wash of rage coursed through her veins. Gone was the loving, tender soulmate of Gwen Goldman. In her place stood the deadly Sabre Miranda Valiant. She slipped easily into the role she had played countless times before, and without a whisper of sound blended into her surroundings and disappeared from sight.

 

 

"So because you had ample time to get the shields in place...." Gwen let the thought drift off. The older man nodded his head.

"Yes, that and the fact that my strength lies in a different direction. You see, Reed is an exception in that her gifting is equally strong in all areas. She feels the bonding, she can separate truth from lies, and she can see glimpses into the future. Most of us only have a single gift, and even then it is not always strong." He paused and took a sip of coffee. "When Ravenhawk came home to you, Reed alerted us to prepare. It was a warning we heeded seriously."

Gwen folded her hands, though Sky could easily see her tension in the white knuckles and she moved the clenched fist up to her lips. The bard took a deep breath before resting her chin on her hands and speaking. "What did you see, Sky? What made you say such a thing to her?"

"Nothing tangible that I can put into words, actually. Fleeting impressions."

"And for this you had to upset her??" Green eyes blazed furiously. Her tirade never got any further. Compelling black eyes met and held the bard’s.

"Let me show you what I saw." He held out his hands, palm side up, and waited patiently for Gwen to decide to trust him... or not. The storyteller gazed at him for long moments before sliding her hands into his. His eyes locked onto hers, and without warning, her mind was filled with images and emotions she could not readily identify nor understand. In the space of seconds, hundreds of impressions left their mark, but it would be a while before she could sort through and begin to make sense of everything.

He smiled slightly at her shell-shocked expression. "It took years of training before I could separate and understand what I saw. Don’t try to analyze it too much. It will become clear to you in time."

The blonde head nodded numbly. "Still, there is clearly a feeling of coming darkness. I see why you warned Randi about it and I...."

Whatever else she was going to say was lost in the cacophony of noise that erupted just outside the building. "SEAL IT!" was the shouted command, before the sound of lasers and rapid fire ricochets sounded along the small street.

 

 

Randi stood in the shadows, as the sound of multiple transports reached her sensitive ears. "SEAL IT," she heard before all hell broke loose. The few people who were wandering the street were immediately slaughtered before the small force began to spread out to lock up the town.

The first rebel walked by the Sabre unaware. She let the woman slip past her, then Randi silently stepped up behind her and casually snapped her neck. The woman slid from her grasp to the ground, and the warrior promptly relieved the body of the tools she needed. Then Randi merged into the shadows, searching intently for her next victim.

She counted a dozen, less the one already dead. The Marine briefly wonder about their objective, before slipping a knife between the ribs of the young man she had crept up on. He fell with very little sound, and she moved him deeper into the building where he wouldn’t be found easily.

The next soldier actually gurgled at the end, as the knife sliced neatly across his neck. Two more met their demise almost simultaneously. The twin shuriken sliced deep into the right eye of one, and the left eye of the other.

With almost half the rebel force now decimated, Randi’s attention turned as a commotion broke out near the restaurant. The entire rest of the town was being herded into street. A smug grin crossed her face briefly as the Sabre noted the lines of worry that crossed the apparent leader’s face. He motioned two of his remaining team to circle around the perimeter and locate the missing team members. Then her features went still and hard when she caught a feeling of Gwen’s fear.

"I want to know where Miranda Valiant is," the blonde man stated quite matter-of-factly. "*Exactly* where Miranda Valiant is. No reason for anyone to die needlessly. I know she is in this area somewhere." Randi kept an eye on him even as she raised the blowgun to her lips and shot the first dart at the woman fast approaching her position. The rebel reached for the stinging spot on her neck, even as she dropped dead in her tracks. Dark brows rose to her hairline as the Sabre pondered the poison the rebels were using. They had come prepared for slaughter, which didn’t ring true with the leader’s recent words. She blew a second dart at the other woman still some distance away. Randi jumped silently from her hiding place before the second woman hit the ground.

"Either you can give her up, or I will kill you one by one until you do," the man called Usher stated.

"We don’t know where she is," a little old lady said bravely. "We haven’t seen her."

"Well, that is just a damn shame," he answered nonchalantly while wrapping his hands around her slim throat. A twist, and the woman slumped bonelessly to the ground. He looked around, a little surprised to note a lack of fear on the faces that surrounded him. Interesting. "Who’ll be next?"

Randi’s rage grew exponentially as she watched Nanny fall to the ground. The older woman had been the first to welcome her into the community, and had always had a pleasant word anytime the warrior had come into town. When Usher reached out towards Gwen and Chief Screaming Sky, the Sabre went on autopilot and became a bona fide killing machine.

The first two of the remaining five died when swift kicks to the neck crushed their windpipes. The next never saw the blow that sent a bone from his nose up into his brain, and the pressure points she hit on the eleventh rebel caused him to fall over gasping for air. She had to wonder at the poor planning involved in this little raid. The blonde leader had no idea his little force now lay dead around the perimeter of townsfolk.

"Well now," the leader drawled. "What do we have here?" He grabbed Sky by the scruff of the neck and yanked him forward. The heirloom necklace around the chieftain’s throat came off in pieces, and Usher threw it to the ground. "Tell me, old man... where can I find Miranda Valiant?" He closed his hand around Sky’s neck, and slowly began to squeeze the life from his lungs. "It doesn’t matter to me if you all choose to die. You see," he continued conversationally, as the older man’s face went a deep red. "You people are unimportant in the grand scheme of things. You are merely pawns in a larger game." Sky’s face began to turn purple. "And ultimately, your deaths will rest on Valiant’s shoulders."

Usher never noticed that during his speech a ripple in the crowd has caused the people to edge away from him, and he and Sky were left standing basically alone. Randi had edged her way into the congregation, and the sight of her hard, set face and blood covered clothing caused them to pass her through their midst easily. Simultaneously, they eased back, understanding that their champion was far more dangerous than her foes. No one realized the deadly damage she had already perpetrated until much, much later.

Gwen gasped when Randi stepped into the inner circle... an involuntary reaction to the transformation she could clearly see written on Randi’s visage. She clasped her hands to her lips to contain the sound, but it was too late. Usher’s attention focused on her.

He dropped Sky, and the old man lay on the ground gasping for air. The Sabre didn’t even slow down, but reached the rebel just as he touched Gwen. He didn’t even have time to process the thought that he was going to die before the blade entered his stomach. Usher looked into cold dead eyes, and understood in that moment that he had been set up, and wondered why. Then it didn’t matter, as she jerked the knife upwards, and he scrambled to catch the innards that were suddenly spilling on the ground around him. He fell to his knees, dead before he hit the ground.

Randi looked up then, black eyes meeting green even as a wash of confusion caused them to return to their normal brilliant blue. Almost immediately, the Marine grabbed her head, and screamed in agony before dropping down unconscious beside the dead rebel.

Gwen did not even hesitate, but was cradling Randi before her head could touch the earth. Sky eased up still wheezing and rubbing his throat, and moved to call directions to his people. Without complaint, they moved to do his bidding immediately. The first detachment reverently removed Nanny’s body to the ritual preparation area. Two other groups quickly gathered the dead rebels and placed them in the incinerator. The last group carefully moved the soulmates together indoors. Within minutes Gwen and Randi were comfortably ensconced in his guest room above the restaurant.

Sky followed them slowly up the stairs, noting that the entourage waited respectfully just outside the door to do his bidding. He poked his head just inside the room, noting that Randi remained locked in the bard’s embrace still covered in blood and gore. The one woman who was still attending them met his eyes and shook her head just slightly negatively.

The chieftain withdrew for a moment, before opening the door wider and allowing himself and several of the young men who had been waiting to enter the room. Gwen looked at them questioningly, and could not contain the gasp when they were lifted bodily together and moved to the small bathroom. Green eyes turned to Sky.

"I thought you might like a chance to clean up." She nodded at his words, and people began to withdraw from the suddenly overcrowded space. "Redwing will stay and help you," he added before pulling the door shut behind himself.

The bard slowly unbuttoned the flannel shirt, numbly grateful for the help, and the fact that the woman was courteous enough to keep her eyes averted as much as possible. It was awkward as hell, but Gwen was loath to let Randi go. Redwing worked around it as much as she could, and in short order the warrior was stripped naked, and her clothes headed out to be laundered.

The storyteller glanced around, realizing there was no way for her to undress without help. Silently, Redwing leaned the warrior forward enough the Gwen could wriggle out of her clothing, then rested Randi in her soulmate’s arms once again when the bard resettled herself.

"I’ll be right outside when you’re ready," the young woman commented softly, even as she shut the shower enclosure and moved smoothly out the door. Gwen spared a brief thought of thankfulness for the warmth of the room as she waited for the water to reach the desired temperature. Even expecting it, she flinched when warm water cascaded down from the nozzle. It disturbed her that not only did the Sabre in her arms not react to the initial shock, but she did not move even as the water continued to pelt them.

Gwen let the wetness rinse away as much of the blood and gore as it could while she lathered the sponge Redwing had place within her grasp. Then she bathed the warrior everywhere she could reach, thankful that Randi was turned in her arms. Once the blood was gone and Randi was clean, the bard cleaned the residual blood from herself and commanded the water to shut off. On cue, Redwing opened the door and handed Gwen two long, thick towels. When the two women were covered, the men moved back into the bathroom and lifted them out together, moving them to the bed that was now pulled down and covered in fresh linen.

Gwen wondered why they did not simply let her walk. It would have been infinitely easier, and made a lot more sense. When they were settled, Sky stepped back into the room, even as everyone else made their way out. He answered the confused look in her eyes.

"She needs you. You are her connection... her lifeline. We had no desire to sever that for her, or for you. It is far too important."

"How did...?"

A smile actually lit the older man’s features at the honestly puzzled question. "It was easy. You have a very expressive face, and you had the same confused look both times you were carried around together." He became serious. "You need to sleep now. Join her in the dreamscape so she knows she is not alone."

She nodded, not completely understand, but knowing Randi needed her. He tucked them in more comfortably together, a smile lighting his eyes when the warrior burrowed even more deeply into Gwen’s embrace. He placed a hand on either forehead and began a soft, rhythmic chanting. The storyteller struggled to figure out what was being said, but her eyes felt so heavy. She closed them, hoping to understand better if she did, and drifted off into slumber.

Sky finished the mantra sitting completely still for a long moment until he knew they had safely crossed into sleep. Then with a sigh he rose, and moved to wait with the others downstairs.

 

 

The darkness was tangible... thick and cloying. Gwen wished for a light, rather surprised when a tiny spark appeared by her head. It didn’t illuminate this... nothing... she was in much, but it did bring a measure of comfort. Haltingly, she took a few tiny steps, glad beyond belief when the speck of light moved with her. The bard took a deep breath, and slowly moved forward, seeking out her soulmate in the inky darkness.

She couldn’t have said how long or how far she traveled before the sound of soft breathing reached her ears. The shard of light grew, until she was able to make out Randi’s features in the dim light. The warrior’s eyes were closed and she appeared to be hovering above the ground. The question was answered when Gwen ran squarely into the solid object that blended perfectly into their surroundings Randi was perched on. The bard reached out a hand to wake the Sabre when the Marine’s hand snagged it inches from her face. Blue eyes looked confused, and Randi released the small hand to scrub her face.

"Gw...." She cleared her throat of its hoarseness, sitting up slowly and rubbing the back of her neck. "Gwen? What are you...? How did you...?" She broke off, trying to formulate her thoughts a little more clearly. Gwen understood what she was asking, though, and endeavored to answer the question.

"Sky helped me to get here. He said you needed me." She took Randi’s hands in her own. "Um, where is here, exactly? I’ve never seen a place like this."

"No, I certainly hope you haven’t. This is not a nice place. You really shouldn’t be here." The warrior closed her eyes and made to turn away from Gwen. The same eyes popped open in surprise when the bard jerked her hands free and clasped the drawn face firmly between them.

"Miranda Valiant," whispered fiercely, "don’t you DARE shut me out!! I married you for good and bad, and you’re not gonna hide things from me again. I won’t let you." She drew a shaky breath. "I meant what I said... they can’t have you back, and I will fight for what is mine." She cupped Randi’s chin, and poked her in the chest with her free hand. "You. Belong. To. Me. Understand??"

 

 

"No, no, Blondie. Randi belongs to me now. The scar is gone. She belongs to me, like she should have from the beginning," Ares commented to the scrying bowl even as he watched the scene play out before him. He had waited millennia for this moment.

 

 

Gwen let the truth sink into the Marine’s mind. Watching as it became clear in her eyes. Then she captured the soft lips passionately, moaning softly when the warrior’s arms wrapped securely around her and drew their bodies closer together. She threaded her fingers into the dark hair, and the two lost themselves in timeless moments of reassurance. Finally, breathing heavily, she pulled back. "Mine, warrior. Forever."

"Always, my bard."

"Now tell me about this place."

Randi looked around slowly. "This is where I came whenever I had a particularly trying mission. This darkness is my darkness. Things I could not consciously bear to carry." She looked around bewildered. "What I am not sure of is why we are here. What happened?"

A frown crossed the blonde’s features. "What is the last thing you remember, love?"

Large hands covered the Sabre’s face before running her fingers through raven hair. "Um, we were...." She scrunched up her brows in thought. "We were sitting down to coffee with Sky, and...." She shook her head. "I missed something pretty important, huh?

Gwen didn’t answer directly. The frown grew deeper as she thought, then she turned to Randi abruptly. "Did you ever have this happen before?"

"I’m not sure I understand."

Gwen paused, trying to formulate her thoughts. "When you visited this place before, you knew why you came here, even though the memories were put away once you left, correct?"

"Yes."

"But now you are here of your own volition, and yet have no knowledge of *why* you are here. Has that ever happened before?"

Randi paused and considered, contemplating the question seriously. "No," she finally said, after some internal debate. "Even the memories I have put here can be extracted if I need them." She rubbed her forehead. "What the hell is going on? Why can’t I remember?"

"I don’t know, love, but we will figure this out." A deep breath. "Let me tell you what happened as far as what I saw." And knowing they needed one another’s support for what was coming, she took the strong hands in her own and began to relate the events of the day.

Randi pulled away sharply before Gwen could finish, moving out of the dim light and into the shadows. "My God! What kind of monster am I becoming?" She paced back and forth in the darkness, examining the story Gwen had shared thus far. The bard came up behind her and hugged her, and she reflexively stiffened in the embrace for an instant before her body accepted the touch. It was so odd to have someone else in this very private space.

The storyteller stood quite still, but her hold remained firm while she waited for Randi to allow the embrace. Gwen could feel the internal struggle the warrior was having, and chose her next words very carefully.

"I don’t think you’re a monster."

The warrior whirled on her. "How can you...?"

The blonde placed her hands over Randi’s lips, knowing it was the only way to halt her speech. "Let me finish, please." She felt the dark head nod and moved her fingers, smiling in the blackness at the light kiss she felt the Marine place on them.

"What you did was become the Sabre you have always been, and you responded to the threat just like you always have. The difference this time was the fact that it was more personal. You knew the people being targeted. You felt more." She drew a deep breath. "Now I want you to think about something, love, and be honest with yourself and me."

Unconsciously, Randi reached for Gwen, resting her hands on slim hips. The bard traced her hands up the Marine’s torso, coming to rest firmly on the strong neck, and she felt Randi nod her agreement.

"Except for the leader, the rest of them died swiftly and mercifully, didn’t they? You gave them the same courtesy all those who targeted you before had been given, didn’t you?" She waited while Randi hesitated and thought about what bits Gwen had revealed that she had done to the rebels. How the way they had died had been decidedly merciful given the accoutrements they carried and obviously planned on using against her and the people of the small town.

"Yes, but...."

"And the reason the leader died so violently is because he made me a target. Just like Ben. It crossed the line from professional into personal for you."

"The darkness you have to walk in sometimes scares me, Randi. No you don’t...." holding fast to the warrior’s body when she made to pull away. "No, let me finish." She slid her hands forward so she cradled Randi’s face tenderly. "It scares me for YOU, beloved, not for me. You go into a darkness I don’t understand, and can’t follow you into, and you do it willingly... for me. You walked into the darkness again, because that man made me a target, but at what cost??"

"For you, it was worth any cost, Little One."

"Not if it costs me you again, it wasn’t," the bard hissed. "Randi, you SCREAMED when it was all over. You looked at me and screamed in pain. Then you came here. That would tend to make me the culprit in whatever happened, wouldn’t it?"

"No! Yes... I dunno. Maybe. It would help if I understood how I got here, and why I screamed. I honestly don’t remember anything after we sat down to have coffee with Sky." And she didn’t really... just words the bard had shared with her.

Gwen took Randi’s hands in her own and led her back toward the place she’d found the warrior resting. "C’mon love. Let’s see if we can find a more comfortable dreamscape to share together, and when we wake up we’ll talk to Sky. Maybe he can help shed some light on what happened."

The Marine smiled, knowing her soulmate could hear it in her voice. "You know of a good place to go?"

"Oh yeah, Stud... I have just the place."

Randi help Gwen up onto the protrusion and settled in behind her, wrapping herself firmly around the smaller woman, and allowing the peace and tranquility she felt invade their souls and soothe troubled spirits. She never even realized when she drifted off again.

 

 

The tickling was making her nose twitch, but Randi was loath to open her eyes. She couldn’t help the grin that formed, though, and when the feather-light touched moved to her neck, she squawked and opened her eyes. Taking in the twinkling green eyes of her tormentor, the Sabre flipped them over so Gwen was lying beneath her.

"Well, well... what do we have here?" laughing diabolically, and starting a teasing touch up the bard’s sensitive sides. Gwen squirmed to get away from the tickling fingers, but only succeeded giving Randi even more skin to conquer. The blonde distracted her warrior in the only way she could think of, and drew her into a fiery kiss. The touches subtly changed, and soon Gwen’s shortness of breath wasn’t due to laughter, but the sensations cascading through her body.

Randi pulled back slightly, looking into passion darkened eyes. "I love you," she said softly.

"As I do you," came the equally muted response. "We will figure this out together you know." She broke eye contact to look again at the surroundings she’d already had the opportunity to investigate. "Do you recognize this place?"

The Marine rose up a little more, and took a good look around. They were in a clearing by a stream that had a waterfall. The grass was soft, the flowers fragrant, and the trees provided ample shade and just a tiny breeze. There was a thick bearskin spread on the ground, and a neat, well-laid fire was built nearby. She looked back at Gwen.

"This is...."

"This is our place, yes. We have been here before. Sometimes we camp out, sometimes there is a rustic little cabin, once in awhile there is an inn. But we always come here together."

"You mean our time here together is real? It’s not just a dream... not wishful thinking or imagination?"

"Apparently so. We share this place in our dreams."

"That is so totally incredible."

"Yes, it is. And I want you to understand something." She held Randi’s face in her hands securely and captured her gaze effortlessly. Gwen looked into blue depths for a timeless moment, willing the warrior to recognize the truth of her words. "This will always be our safe place, and I will always, *ALWAYS* be here for you."

Randi closed her eyes as the words embedded themselves in her mind and heart, and when she opened them again, Gwen saw the acceptance in the Marine’s. She didn’t have a chance to say anything else as Randi leaned down and took fervent possession of her lips.

"Do you suppose," the warrior asked huskily as she pulled back until their lips were just touching. "If we were to make love here," her tongue sneaking out to trace the soft, full lips beneath her own. "Do you think we would be making love in real time as well?"

"I suggest we experiment, and see what we can discover." Twining her hands into the thick dark hair hanging down and curtaining them, she tugged lightly until they were in full contact along their lengths. Randi’s hands slowly traced up Gwen’s sides as she kissed the bard deeply once more.

"I think that is a very sound idea, Little One. We can’t be too careful with experiments, ya know."

The soft trill of blended laughter was heard before the sounds turned passionate. And the lovers never noticed when the dreamscape faded into reality.

 

 

Down below, Sky heard the soft laughter and smiled. They had found one another, and for now, it was enough. Later would have to take care of itself when it came.

 

 

"ARES!!!" The blonde goddess thundered across the heavens as she stormed into his lair. "You can’t do this!" she shouted. "They belong to me!"

The smug smirk on his face made Dite itch to wipe it off with her nails. "Not anymore they don’t. I am taking back what you stole from me. Your whole will become two parts once more as I reclaim what is rightfully mine!" He screamed at her furiously, the fire in his eyes alarmingly clear.

"You can’t do that!" she shouted again, her face going red in her fury.

"Oh, but I already have. Months and years of planning have finally come to fruition." He strode away from her, only to turn back and point a finger in her direction for emphasis. "Do you know how long I have been working on this? Even for a god, it was an eternity. The scar is gone, and her soul is mine for the claiming." He gave an evil chuckle. "The best part is, she is unaware of the change, and will remain so until it is too late. She has no choice this time." He grinned evilly, then went on, anxious to cause the love goddess some of the hurt and frustration he himself had suffered for millennia because of her machinations.

"It was a thing of beauty, really. Ben was *kind* enough to insure the infestation of the drug." He looked at her. "Do you know how long it took me to perfect that... to insure my success?" He shrugged. "Not that it matters. The point it, it did succeed... even better than I expected. She has no memory of the darkness that overtakes her, and the change has been so gradual no one has even noticed." He laughed again.

"Nothing can stop me now. I will be ruler of the world once Randi has done my bidding and conquered it, of course. Then she will reign by my side as my Queen Consort."

Aphrodite’s face had gone quite cold and still during his little speech, and now she turned to him with a look that would have burned him to ash, given her choice. "You little rat bastard," she whispered in fury. "You will not get away with this. I am not going to let you win."

He laughed heartily now. "You can’t stop me, Dite. I have already won. And I didn’t break a single rule to do it. There’s not a damn thing you can do."

"We’ll see about that," she snarled at him, glaring for a long moment before disappearing in a shower of sparks.

"There is nothing to see, sister," he commented to the thin air where she had stood. "I won fair and square." He chuckled. "Well maybe not quite fair." He grinned in evil contentment, throwing himself on a comfortable chaise. "It doesn’t matter, though. I won. The warrior’s soul is mine. And nothing will stop me this time. My victory is finally complete." The sound of his laughter echoed through the heavens.

 

 

When the couple awakened from their sleep a few hours later, they weren’t sure whether to be pleased or embarrassed by the blissful, sated satisfaction they felt. Wrapped together in naked contentment, they concluded quite happily that their experiment had been a success and settled for pleased.

They lay together for a few moments before Randi rose up on her side and looked down at her soulmate. She put her palm on Gwen’s belly gently rubbing in comforting circles. The warrior smiled when the bard purred and arched into the light touch. She leaned down and kissed Gwen’s nose. "I love you."

"Umm," humming in delight, "I love you too." She ran her hands lightly up Randi’s torso before locking behind her neck, gazing at her with eyes full of love and affection.

"Thank you," the Sabre said quietly. "Having you come... knowing we...." The dark head dropped to Gwen’s chest and she moaned in frustration. "This is not coming out right at all."

The bard pulled gently on Randi’s hair until the warrior’s eyes met her own. "I meant what I said, love. You will never be alone to face the darkness again. What we do, we do together." She slipped her hand along the Marine’s smooth cheek, halting in confusion as she replayed the sensation over in her mind. Smooth?? She turned Randi’s head away from her, trailing her fingers along the smooth flesh.

"Gwen?" Randi was bewildered by the storyteller’s abrupt action. The bard released her hold and allowed the blue gaze to meet her own astounded one. "Love, what’s wrong?"

Gwen swallowed hard, trying to fathom the implications of the day’s events, knowing instinctively something drastic had changed. She looked up into Randi’s eyes. "The scar," she whispered, her voice so low Randi has to strain to hear it. Gwen cleared her throat and tried again. "The scar... Randi, it’s gone."

The warrior’s eyes widened perceptibly. "I think we need to have a talk with Sky. Maybe he can shed some light on things. At least he might be able to help me remember today."

The blonde head nodded her agreement. "C’mon love. A quick shower, then we’ll see what we can see together."

Randi smiled. "You do not know just how incredible I find that word. But I intend to show you everyday for the rest of our lives."

"Good," was Gwen’s one word reply, before entering the bathroom and closing the door firmly behind them.

 

 

Chapter XIV

The sound continued for a seeming eternity, and when it ceased, the silence was deafening. Artemis and Athena peeked around the corner, their eyes going wide at the devastation the love goddess had wrought. Shards of pottery lay strewn across the marble floor. Silk material lay in shredded tatters around the room, and feathers wafted at the slightest breeze.

Only in front of the bed was there a clear space, and there was a decided groove where a rut was forming. The two goddesses looked at one another askance, and gingerly crossed the threshold in case there was another outbreak of rage. When they saw Aphrodite was curled up in the middle of the now disheveled bed, they stepped forward with more confidence.

"Dite?" the goddess of wisdom softly called. Athena traversed the room and eased down onto the bed. She gently ran her fingers through the tangled curly locks, trying to straighten them into a more orderly fashion. "He’s not going to win, ya know."

Aphrodite sprang into a sitting position instantly, and pointed her finger at her sister goddess "He CHEATED, The!! How can you be so sure he won’t?" The brief flare of anger died as quickly as it had arisen, and the love goddess fell back onto the bed in a heap.

"Well, there are several reasons." Athena resumed her gentle stroking and felt Dite relax into her touch. Artemis came up and sat lightly on the other side, taking Aphrodite’s hand in her own and caressing it lightly.

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"Like the fact that they have beaten him before, even before their souls were pledged and blessed. You really think he can break the bonding? Gwen was able to defeat him before. Besides, Rosie and several of my priestesses are looking for an antidote for the poison. Some of Arty’s Amazon’s were able to obtain a sampling."

"Really?"

"Yes, really," the huntress responded. "She is still my Queen, even if she no longer remembers that role, and we all have a serious stake in the outcome of this. They need each other, and the world needs them."

Aphrodite raised her free hand, and brushed the tears from her face. She sat up determinedly. "You’re right, of course... both of you." She looked around her now decimated lair. "Ew, grody! Let me get this mess cleaned up. Then we need to sit down and do some serious planning."

Athena laughed. "We’ll help." And in short order, the room was restored to its normal opulence. Then the deities headed for the small conference room to strategize. Dite stopped in the doorway, shocked by the roomful of gods already present.

"You knew?" she turned to Athena and Artemis.

"We suspected. These two are highly favored," Artemis replied softly.

"Besides, Art was telling the truth. We need them, and we know it. Everyone here was rocked when they were separated by Randi’s death."

The goddess of love thought about it for a moment before nodding her head and clasping her hands together in agreement. "You’re right. And we’re gonna use everything we have against him." She moved briskly into the room, and assumed a no nonsense attitude. "Let’s get to work."

 

 

Sky walked away from them and stood unseeingly at the window. "This is not good," he muttered. "This is very, very bad." Those of his tribe that had helped the bard and the warrior still remained clustered together on one side of the room. Outside, the flames from the incinerator lit up the evening sky, and low moans and the beating of drums could be heard as they prepared to give Nanny a proper send off into the afterlife.

The chieftain nodded his head at the small group, and they silently went out to join the rest of the family in mourning. Sky bowed his head. "I need to go walk Nanny to her reward before we do anything. Would you like to wait here, or...?" He trailed off, not wanting to pressure them into something neither of them was ready for.

"If you think we would be welcome, we would like to attend." Randi cleared her throat and spoke again hesitantly. "I would like to say a few words, actually."

The older man nodded his head in agreement, glad that she had offered, and he didn’t have to ask. "Come. Let us go lay our friend to rest, and speed her journey to the afterlife."

Each member of the tribe was offered the opportunity to say a short piece about the woman they had known, and though not everyone availed themselves of the opportunity, each and every one did lay an object in the carefully crafted coffin. Some of the items were personal, and others meant to bring comfort to Nanny on her journey in the afterlife. But they all held significance for both the giver and Nanny.

Gwen walked beside Randi as they approached the coffin. The bard stood silently as the warrior offered a short prayer for Nanny’s safe passage. Then Randi placed a small prayer stone in the older woman’s cold hands and folded her warm ones carefully around them.

"Thank you for your friendship, Nanny, and for your acceptance. I’m sorry I couldn’t stop the.... Well, I’m sorry. You didn’t deserve what happened, and I feel like I let you down." A breath. "I, uh... I was hoping you would, um, bless Gwen and me today, but since you can’t, um, keep an eye on us, huh? Some thing screwy is going on, and I don’t like the way it feels. Safe passage, my friend and happy journeys."

She took Gwen’s hand, not expecting the resistance she got to her slight tug. Instead, she listened as the storyteller spoke her last to a woman she’d barely known. "I don’t have anything to offer but my words, Nanny. But I remember so clearly your words to me the day we met. And I will treasure them, and her, for all the rest of my days. Thank you for sharing a glimpse with me."

The dark head turned toward the blonde at these cryptic words, but Gwen’s attention was focused on the body of the woman in front of her. "Peace and happiness to you both, Nanny. Be happy together again."

The bard turned and looked at Randi then, gently pulling her from the side of the casket so others could take their place. A dark brow rose over a blue eye. "I didn’t realize you knew her," the warrior offered quietly.

"She sought me out, the first time we came into town. She was the one who showed me the story behind our wedding shirts."

"You want to share?"

"I’d love to... I’m just not sure I can."

The second brow rose to meet its mate at this statement. Randi watched as Gwen worried her lip, trying to find the words to say what she meant. She started to speak when she was forestalled by the chieftain’s words.

"The time has come to sing our sister to her final rest in this life. Since she has no living next of kin, Ravenhawk has asked permission to lead the chant, and I have granted it." He nodded in the Sabre’s direction, and motioned for her to begin.

Gwen was surprised by Randi’s next action. Instead of separating from her and moving to the front of the room, the warrior simply dropped a long arm around her shoulders in a firm embrace, and started singing right where she stood.

The first verse was a solo voice, and tears sprang to Gwen’s eyes at the mourning tone that the Marine was producing. She noticed many among the surreptitiously wiping their eyes and she wished she was able to understand the words that were being sung.

As Randi’s voice held the last note, Gwen watched as one by one, each member of the community united with her, and the whole feeling of the service changed. The tempo increased, and the drums and other instruments joined in what was quickly becoming an uplifting song. Hands began to clap and feet started tapping out the rhythm on the floor. Smiles grew broad as the song went on, and it wasn’t long before the entire room was wreathed in happiness.

As the song neared completion instruments and voices began to drop out again, until only the warrior was left. She sang the last alone, but the change from the beginning was palpable. As she reached the last line, everyone rose to their feet and merged their voices together one more as they released the body into the flames, and sent Nanny’s spirit soaring.

 

 

The sun had set by the time the service was complete, and the community dispersed quietly to their homes. Sky guided Gwen and Randi back toward his residence, knowing they needed to talk together before the couple headed back to their cabin.

He motioned them to a seat on the couch even as he moved to fetch the coffee. He was back in minutes, and he set the tray down on the table before assuming a seat in the chair across from them. He waited casually for them to finish fixing their coffee the way they liked it before he leaned forward with his elbows on his knees.

Eagle eyes focused on Randi, and she held his unwaveringly. He reached for her hands, and she laid her own in his. They sat motionless for a moment, before he sighed and dropped both his grasp and his gaze. "You really do not remember, do you?"

She shook her head, and he noticed for the first time that the scar was gone. He raised his arm then hesitated when he recalled her earlier words. "The scar is gone."

She nodded her agreement. "I know. Gwen thinks it might be what caused me to scream before I passed out." She absently rubbed a hand along the smooth cheek. She drew her face away in frustration, and hit her balled fists on her knees. "This is making me crazy, Sky. I know something is wrong. But I don’t know what or how to fix it."

The man sat back, contemplating her for a long moment. He came to a decision, then reached for her hands again. "Let me show you the darkness that made you run from me earlier today... what probably saved all our lives."

She was cautious in taking his hands, for the first time very much afraid of what she might see. Gwen slid closer, and wrapped her arms around the narrow waist, laying her head on the broad shoulder. "Together," she whispered in the nearby ear.

Randi turned her head to see green eyes full of love and faith fastened on her. Without unlocking her gaze from Gwen, she extended her hands to Sky. And was bombarded by the images that assaulted her consciousness. The Marine drew in her breath sharply, but the bard’s eyes never left the blue, and Randi let the images wash over her. She saw the darkness, felt it like before. She even understood it to a point. But its power over her was lost as the strength of Gwen’s love surrounded and shielded her.

"Gwen, I need you release your hold. She needs to see this... to understand it."

"No, Sky," she answered firmly without ever breaking eye contact. "You send it through where we can both see, but she is not walking this path alone this time. I won’t let you do that to her again."

He sighed. He was afraid it might come to this. Their soul connection was strong enough to dilute the darkness. The only thing he could try was.... "Gwen, give me one of your hands, and Randi the other."

"No, Sky. I...."

Gwen laid a finger across Randi’s vehemently protesting lips. "It’s okay, love. I’ve already seen it. I’m sorry, Sky. I know you’re not the enemy."

The warrior looked steadily into Gwen’s eyes, seeing the truth clearly written there for her to see. "You’re sure? I don’t want...."

"I’m sure." She offered one hand to Sky, and the other took Randi’s own in hers. Then she focused her attention solely on her soulmate, giving the Sabre her strength to withstand the coming onslaught. The chieftain took their hands, and both gasped involuntarily at the overwhelming sensations.

Instead of diluting them, their bonding made the images much clearer, and besides the approaching darkness, they both felt a rending at their very cores. Randi jerked to break the connection, but Sky had been anticipating such a move, and held on for dear life. The sensation ended as abruptly as it had begun, and the small group sat exhausted as though they had been running for hours. Gwen chanced a look at the clock, and saw that less than a minute had passed. Her eyes closed again.

"Oh my God... what the hell does all that mean?" Randi asked Sky in a shaky voice. Nothing she had seen made much sense. It was more feelings that left their impression on her psyche. She didn’t like the thoughts she’d been left with by the encounter.

"I wish I could tell you," the older man answered slowly. "That is what I got from the brief glimpse I was given today. Even after three viewings, I can’t say it is any clearer than it was the first time." He scratched his jaw. "I am missing something vital."

Gwen had not said a word since Sky had released them, and she’d never lost her grip on Randi’s hand. Now the Marine turned her head to the bard, becoming alarmed by the sudden pallor and shallow, rapid breathing.

"GWEN?!?" Randi took the storyteller in her arms and gently cradled her. "Gwen? Gwen, c’mon love. Wake up... wake up!" She gently patted the bard’s face, and turned to the chieftain. "Do something!" Sky was already moving towards the kitchen before the plea was out of Randi’s mouth.

Gwen meanwhile was in another place she had never been before.

"Aphrodite?"

"We don’t have much time, Sweet Pea. The battle for the warrior’s soul has begun, and for now we are fighting handicapped." She held up her hands when Gwen’s lips parted to speak. "Just listen. It is yours, yes, but you are going to have to fight for it, and for her. A time will come when you have to make a choice. Fight for her and walk away, or give up and give in. You will have to remember what I have just told you, if you are going to make the right decision. Choose wisely. The fate of the world... the fate of your souls will depend on the choice you make."

"But...."

"I can’t say anything more right now. We are almost out of time. We are doing our best to help you, but you are going to have to do a lot of this on your own. I’ll come see you again like this from time to time when we can manage to do it without suspicion."

"But...."

"Remember what I said. You are fixing to have a very rude awakening." Then the goddess was gone, and Gwen was opening her eyes to the most horrific smell. Her only consolation was the fact that she was being tenderly cradled in the warrior’s strong embrace. She put Aphrodite’s warning to the back of her mind. She would ponder it later, but for now, she had a Marine in need of solace and comfort.

"Are you all right?" Randi questioned even as she pulled her tighter in to her own strong body. "God, you had me scared for a minute." She smiled and tried to make light, but Gwen could easily see the stark terror that lingered deep in those blue eyes.

"I’m fine," the bard answered softly, "except for the burning smell in my nose. What was that stuff, anyway?"

"Ammonia."

"God, that stuff stinks."

"Yes, it does," the chieftain said s he handed the blonde woman a tall glass of water. "But it gets the job done.

"I’ll say. Phew!" Gwen drained the glass and gently eased up into more of a sitting position on Randi’s lap. The warrior was loath to let her move, however, and kept a tight hold around Gwen’s middle. She patted the Sabre’s hands lightly in a gesture of comfort.

"I’m all right, Stud. Just a bit of an overload. That was the second time I experienced that today, ya know." She didn’t mention the differences between the first and second meldings. The bard turned and looked at Sky. "How did you get through without collapsing?"

Actually, he looked pretty drained as well. He sighed and chuckled tiredly. "I actually feel like I was hit by a falling tree, but it was different for me. For one thing, I was projecting instead of receiving. For another, we have a natural barrier against any backlash, and remember what I told you this morning.... We were prepared for your coming, so our shielding was stronger than normal." He collapsed on the seat and looked at them wearily. "Not a day I wish to repeat again in this lifetime, though."

He rubbed his hands across his face. "It is late, and I think you should stay the night. I’m exhausted, and I know you both are, and well... I just think it would be for the best. That’s all."

Blue and green met in wordless communication before Randi looked up at the chief. "Thanks, Sky. We appreciate the hospitality."

"Take the room you had this afternoon. It is already made up, and no offense, but I am way too tired to have to make another bed up tonight."

"We wouldn’t let you even if you weren’t, Sky. Thank you for offering."

"It is my pleasure, Little Dove. You are both most welcome and honored guests in my home."

"What did you call me?" Gwen’s head had snapped around when her Gramma’s old pet name for her rolled off Screaming Sky’s tongue. He looked at her slightly bewildered.

"Little Dove?" he asked uncertainly. He hadn’t meant to offend, but it was the name the tribe had been given for the bard.

"How did you know...?" She shook her head to clear her thoughts and gazed steadfastly into his deep brown eyes. "What made you decide on that as my tribal name?"

"It was given to us by the Great Spirit. Nanny mentioned it after she gifted you with your story. Why? Does it mean something to you?"

The blonde head nodded, but she didn’t speak. Sky looked at Randi in confusion.

"It was the name her Grandmother called her. A private name, between the two of them."

"Oh. My." The expression on his face was a little strained. In all his years, he had never seen a situation quite like this one. "Does it upset you for us to use it, Gwen? We can easily call you by your given name."

She held up her hand and his speech ground to a halt. "No, it just took me by surprise is all. I haven’t heard it for a long time, and I was somewhat unprepared for it." She drew a deep breath and met the man’s steady regard. "It’s like family... makes me feel like I have a place here."

He smiled broadly, and the two women couldn’t help but return the gesture. "You do, and perhaps on your next visit, they two of you would consider letting us adopt you into our tribe officially."

Gwen’s eyes met Randi’s. "Why are you asking now, Sky? And why not adopt us this visit, if that is the desire of the clan?" The Marine’s eyes widened at how well the bard had read her mind.

"Hmm, well," he answered slowly, as he pondered the best way to phrase his answer, "we couldn’t ask Ravenhawk to be a part of the tribe until she was complete. That did not happen until the two of you became one in mind and body and spirit. You are still in the process of becoming one soul on this journey. When you return to us, we will guide you on a spirit quest together because your soul will be one entity then."

He rose and paced a moment, finally turning back to them. "The spirit quest is not a journey to be taken lightly, so we ask now to give you time to decide if it is right for you. But it is a necessary step that each tribe member takes upon reaching maturity."

"What does a spirit quest do, Sky?"

"Your spirits, your soul is taken on a journey that will answer questions that you have and show you things you need to know. The time is not yet right for you. But you will know when you are ready."

"What questions? What things?"

"I cannot answer that for you. They are different for everyone." He held up a hand when Randi opened her mouth, and she promptly shut it. "Come, it is late and we are all in need of rest."

The couple slowly stood, Gwen still cradled in Randi’s arms. "I can walk, you know."

"I know," the warrior responded softly as she moved to follow the chieftain up the stairs. "But I like having you here."

Gwen studied the look in the blue eyes gazing at her and surrendered to the need in them. She rested her head on the broad shoulder, squeezing Randi’s neck in a light hug, and feeling the pressure returned ever so gently around her body. Then Sky opened the door for the warrior, and they were crossing the threshold into the guest room.

"I will bid you both a pleasant goodnight and happy dreams together," he said as he pulled the door closed behind himself before moving on toward his own room.

Randi set the bard on her feet slowly, keeping her hands at Gwen’s waist for balance just in case. The blonde woman took a deep breath and steadied herself with her hands on the Sabre’s arms for a long moment. Then she looked up into eyes filled with loving concern.

"I’m all right, love. Just very tired."

"Me too."

In short order, they had stripped to their underwear and crawled beneath the thick covering. They wrapped up in their favorite position together, and for a little while let the peace and warmth of the quiet pervade their senses.

"What do you think about Sky’s offer?" the bard asked sleepily.

Randi had been in a half-doze when Gwen’s question was spoken into the darkness. She forced herself to a higher awareness.

"Hmm, I think it is interesting... something we should consider. I never expected to be asked to be part of the tribe. It’s not like I mix and mingle all that much. I would like to know more about why we were invited." She paused and thought a moment. Gwen felt the sigh more than heard it.

"What, love?"

"I’m a little concerned about the spirit quest."

The bard leaned up and propped her head on her elbow so she could lean up and look into Randi’s face. She absently stroked her free hand up and down the warrior’s torso, making goosebumps chase in the wake of her touch. "How so?"

Randi grasped the hand, and tangled their fingers together. "I can’t think when you touch me like that," she admitted shyly. She kissed Gwen’s fingers. "I have a sneaking suspicion that a spirit quest is a much more complicated and extended version of what we experienced together earlier."

"But...."

"I think there were extenuating circumstances that made Sky do what he did. But I am really not sure if any of us could survive anything longer or stronger than what we sat through today."

It was quiet again for a while as they processed their thoughts on the matter. Gwen rolled until she was mostly lying on top of the Marine, and she put her free hand under her chin to cushion Randi’s chest.

"I’m sure, that is, I would imagine there is usually a lot of preparation made for all parties involved in a normal quest. Tonight’s situation was not normal, and you know that as well as I do. What is the age of maturity in this community?"

Randi thought a minute, wondering at the subject change. "Um, thirteen, I think."

"Now do you really think that any parent would let their child sit through a ceremony if it was going to be harmful or dangerous?"

"No, but...."

"Love, we don’t have to do it if you are not comfortable with it. In fact I’d rather not do it until we are both ready, but I don’t think we should dismiss it as a possibility because of our introduction to it."

The Sabre lay quietly, thinking on the bard’s words. "I wonder why Reed never mentioned having this sort of skill, or her connection to this place," Randi mused aloud.

"Well," the bard yawned, putting her head down and curling into the warrior’s warm body. "It could be she was trying to respect your privacy, Stud. And would you really be telling people if you could sense and share visions like that?" Another yawn. "Even in a society as accepting as ours has become, that is still a difficult talent for the close minded or ignorant to accept as a gift rather than an abomination."

"Um, good points, Little One."

"I love you, Randi."

"Ditto, beloved. Good night."

 

 

Had to have East windows, didn’t we? The warrior grumbled as a slash of light cut across her eyes. Then she noticed how late it was, and that she was in bed alone. What the....? Oh yeah... Sky’s. She pushed the covers back and stepped from the bed. When she opened the door, Gwen was standing there juggling a tray trying to get the door open. Green eyes flew up in surprise.

"Oh, you’re up."

Randi grinned. "It certainly looks that way. What’s all this?"

"This," setting the tray on the nearby dresser and pushing the Marine back toward the bed, "is breakfast in bed for you." She lifted her lover’s legs, running a tickling hand down one length before pulling the covers back up to her waist. She turned to grab the tray, and found herself falling into Randi’s lap instead.

"Good morning," the warrior whispered, before leaning forward and kissing Gwen fiercely. The bard wove her hands into tangled dark locks and abandoned herself to the sensations Randi’s taste and touch evoked all over her body.

She smiled up dreamily at Randi as the Marine slowly pulled back from the embrace. "Good morning," Gwen replied. She slipped from the bed and retrieved the tray. When she stepped from the bed the second time, Randi’s hand in her arm stopped the bard in her tracks.

"Where ya goin’?"

Gwen had a fleeting thought to wonder where the sudden insecurity was coming from before she leaned down and kissed the warrior’s warm cheek. "I thought I’d join you in bed," waving at the empty half.

"Oh yeah," the Marine smiled rakishly as she flipped the covers back so Gwen could climb in beside her. "I like that idea." She motioned to the full tray. "Share with me?"

 

 

Breakfast didn’t take very long, really. They were quite conscious of their status as guests in Sky’s home, and somehow the circumstances surrounding their being there were not the same as if they had been invited as friends or family. So in short order, they were dressed, the room was straightened, and they were headed down the stairs.

"How did you sleep, my friend? Your beautiful bride shared the delicious breakfast she cooked for you, and I have to say... you are a very lucky woman." He chuckled as twin blushes crawled up both faces. He extended his hand, and Randi took the tiny holochip from his fingers. "This will explain to you more fully about our life, history and culture, and will give a better idea about what your rights and responsibilities would be as a member of our tribe. It will also give you a complete guide to the spirit quest, so you will know what to expect."

"Thank you, Sky. We talked a little about it last night." The warrior swallowed and looked down before taking his hand. "We appreciate the honor you are offering. I know it is not a usual thing."

"Well, this will probably answer some of the questions you have, and I think the Great Spirit will guide your decision. Fortitude and strength for the journey that lies ahead for you both, and much happiness in your marriage."

"Thanks, Sky. We’ll be in touch."

They had reached the transport, and he held the door open while they slid inside. "Will we see you again?"

"Not this trip. We’ll be leaving for home in another few days. But I promised Gwen we would be back for some swimming. Perhaps we will make it for Celebration this year."

"We’ll look forward to it, Ravenhawk. Safe journey," he called as he closed the door, and the transport headed back on its short trip to the cabin.

"Watch over them, Great Spirit. Their union has being a long time coming, and the trial ahead is indeed going to be rough." He watched them out of sight, then returned to his house. There were still things to do in the village to clean up the mess from the previous day, and he had a vid call to make.

 

 

Chapter XV

"That was interesting," Gwen commented. They lay curled up in the big bed together watching the flames dance in the fireplace. Randi’s hand stroked lazily on the bard’s belly in gentle circles, and Gwen shivered just a little at the sensations the touch elicited.

"Cold, Little One?" the warrior asked with a smile in her voice. "Maybe we shouldn’t have taken that sunset walk."

Gwen grabbed the large hand and stilled its motion. The long fingers wiggled against her skin just slightly, and the storyteller squawked in outrage. "No, I am not cold!" she huffed trying to ignore the goose bumps and shivers Randi’s voice in her ear was causing. She drew a deep breath when the Sabre’s hand slipped from hers and slid upwards. She clasped the wandering hand again.

"I can’t think when you do that."

Randi chuckled and placed a light kiss on Gwen’s neck. "Well, I tend to believe that thinking is WAY over-rated sometimes." But she tucked her hand around the bard, and hugged the smaller woman to herself. "But you’re right. It was interesting. Brings up a lot of questions, though."

"Like?" Gwen had her own ideas, but she was curious to see if they were in the same vein as the warrior’s.

"Like... why us? Why now? And that doesn’t even begin to cover the whole spirit quest issue." Randi scratched her head with the hand she was propped up on. "That train of thought leads to all sorts of unpleasant speculation."

Gwen was silent. She could feel the warrior behind her struggling with something, and wanted to give her soulmate every opportunity to say what was on her mind.

"I’m scared, Gwen," was what Randi finally said very quietly. "There is something going on, and I don’t know what it is or how to stop it. I don’t like that feeling."

"Well, I think our awareness of it is half the battle, love," thinking over the words Aphrodite had spoken to her the night before. "We’ll get through this. I’ll be right beside you, and we’ll figure out what is going on." She paused, thinking. "Maybe the spirit quest will help. Give us some answers."

"Maybe, but that brings us right back to my original questions... why us and why now?"

The storyteller shifted in Randi’s arms until they were facing one another. "You’re thinking in circles, Stud, and that’s not gonna get us anywhere. I think," Gwen continued, reaching behind her and taking the hands that was caressing her back. She placed it on her hip even as her own hand teasingly traced up the warrior’s rib cage, smiling when Randi caught her breath. "You were right earlier. Thinking *is* way over-rated sometimes, and this is one of them."

Gwen pushed the Sabre onto her back, and slid sensuously on top of the longer body. She lowered her head to Randi’s lips and nipped them softly. "We can talk about this more when we are not thinking in circles, but we only have a couple more days left of our honeymoon here, and I intend to make them count for everything they are worth."

She had a reply for that, Randi knew she did, but it got lost in the taste and scent and feel of her soulmate in her arms and on her lips. Then it became unimportant as passion took possession of them completely, and the night was spent in loving communion of body and soul.

 

 

"You okay, sweetheart?" The big man put his hands on Reed’s shoulders and gently rubbed at the tension he could clearly see there. Something about her recent vid call had been very disturbing, because she had been very relaxed before she had taken the call.

The seer moaned and dropped her head forward, focusing on the intense relief Tiny’s touch was giving her. She hadn’t realized how uptight Sky’s information had made her until the Sabre’s hands began their gentle kneading.

"You have magic hands."

Tiny snickered just a bit. "You said that earlier as well, as I recall." He couldn’t help the smirk. She backhanded him in the stomach.

"That wasn’t all I said was magic as *I* recall, but in this case they are your most important assets." Reed smiled rakishly at him before groaning as he hit a particularly sore knot. "Oh gods, that hurts," she hissed. The banter disappeared from his expression as his eyes grew concerned.

"Honey?"

She stood and took him by the hand then, and led him back to their bedroom. She dropped her robe and flopped gracelessly face down on the bed. In wordless understanding, he tightened the knot of his own robe and straddled her, rubbing oil on his hands before beginning a firm massage on her bare back.

He waited until he felt the tension drain from her body before he asked. "You ready to talk about it?’ Tiny felt her tense and then relax beneath his hands. The big man slid off Reed’s hips and lay down beside her, before she rolled over to face him. He turned on one side and propped his head up on one hand while she pulled the sheet up and did the same to face him.

Her eyes dropped to the sheet and the seer absently drew designs on the bedding. Tiny just kept his eyes on her face and waited. His patience was rewarded.

"That was Chief Screaming Sky," she began. The Navy man nodded his head. He had met many of Reed’s tribe members, and the chieftain stood out in his mind. "Apparently, there was some sort of incident in the community yesterday." She swallowed hard. "Nanny was killed."

"Oh, honey, I’m so sorry." Tiny knew that Reed considered the older woman a friend and mentor, and the loss would be palpable in her life. She nodded, accepting his sympathy as tears ran silently down her face. This was when she resented her gifting... not when it let her see, but when it didn’t. She found it especially disheartening when it happened to friends and family. This time, it was both.

She swiped an angry hand at her eyes. She hadn’t told him the worst of it yet. "That’s not all, Tiny." She drew a deep breath. She hated to betray give up Randi’s privacy, but knew her sailor would hold the knowledge in confidence. He was one of the Marine’s closest friends.

He cupped her cheek and tenderly wiped at the wetness that remained. Then he tipped her chin up, bringing her eyes to meet his own. "Tell me the rest."

She sighed. "I need to go up there in a few days." A pause. "It might explain the nightmare."

"Why wait? Why not go now? You know Mischa would watch the kennels, and Charis can always handle the office without me for a few days."

She took his hands in her own, and kissed his fingers. "Tiny, something happened up there." Another deep breath. "Randi has a cabin up there, a retreat. It is where she and Gwen are honeymooning."

"Okay."

"In the attack that killed Nanny, well, Randi managed to kill the raiding party. There weren’t but about a dozen, all cleanly done. Just like any number of Sabre missions in the past."

"But...."

"But she had absolutely no memory of it. Sky looked, and there was nothing there for him to see." Reed looked down at the bed again before resuming eye contact. "He wasn’t very clear on the details... I don’t know if it was because he doesn’t have them or because he wasn’t comfortable sharing them so publicly. He saw darkness coming to her. He... I... it.... I need to go up there. I think I would understand better if he can show me what he saw."

"I’m sure you would. It’s what you are best at. But sweetheart, why wait?"

"Tiny, it is their honeymoon, and her private retreat. I am not going to betray a trust that has been in place for years to rush into their sanctuary. They are only going to be there a few more days, and Sky said at this point, I can wait until they are gone. Besides, given their bonding and the fact that they are on their honeymoon, it would take two to three days to put enough shielding in place for me to be in the same *area* they are in. The wedding and reception drained my reserves dry."

"Can’t the tribe do something to boost your shielding?"

"Well, we’ve been working on it, but I would prefer not to have them there while we are trying to put it in place. Sky said their bonding was almost overwhelming for most of the clan, even those not as gifted."

"I see your problem." He shrugged, trying to sound more nonchalant than he felt. Something in her story was making his skin crawl. "Do you think...?"

"Let’s wait til we get up there, please?" she asked almost pleadingly. "There are so many images, so many feelings.... I’d like the opportunity to see for myself before I have to make any judgments."

"All right, honey. I didn’t mean to push."

"I know, Tiny, and you’re not pushing... not really. I’ve just got the worst case of creepy crawlies going up my spine about this one, and I don’t like it."

The Sabre was silent as he looked at his partner for a long moment. "Me either," he agreed at last. "Thank you for telling me though."

"Hmm, thank you for listening. I love being able to share with you."

"I’m glad you do," Tiny said, cradling her to his chest. "Now, let’s get some rest. We have a lot of work to do before we head to the mountains."

"Thanks for looking out for me," the seer mumbled, even as she fell into sleep.

"Always, sweetheart. I love you." Then the only sound in the room was that of their breathing as it evened out into sleep.

 

 

Geoff sat upright in the bed, groaning in agony. Jill was up almost immediately, easing him back into a more prone position, and turning him onto his belly. She gently climbed on top of him, careful not to hurt him further as she straddled his body.

"You overdid it again today, didn’t you?" she chided softly, even as her hands began digging into muscles that were cramped and spasming.

"Um hmm," he groaned, clenching his jaw together to keep from screaming in agony.

"Why Geoff? Why do you keep doing this to yourself?"

"Ungh... ow... oh God, that hurts!!" He took a deep breath. "I’m close, Jill. Uh... oh!" He realized that he sounded quite orgasmic, and spared an ironic thought that he should be so lucky at this point in time. He missed being able to hold Jill and share physical intimacy with her. They still cuddled together, but he wanted it all back again. It was one of, though not the only driving force behind his furious push to regain the strength and mobility he had lost.

"Close to what, sweetheart? Becoming one big knot? I’d say you’ve got that pretty much covered." She leaned down and kissed him tenderly on the forehead, noting the sweat from the pain he was in. She was both proud of and frustrated with him, and just a bit bewildered by what seemed to be driving him so hard.

"Uh... ow... ugh!"

"Well, it’s not doing anything for your coherence level, hon."

He would have laughed at her teasing if he had not been in quite so much pain. As it was, the smile he tried to give her was nothing more than a grimace. He howled when she hit the spot that had actually been broken.

She gentled her touch even further, knowing he had to relax soon. The doctor had warned her about occurrences like this, and Geoff’s stubborn determination to push himself made them inevitable. "I’m sorry. Geoff. I’m not trying to hurt you any more."

"I... know you’re, uh... not, sweetheart. You’re ugh, um, actually doing a... ouch very good job of urk... helping me to relax. Ungh... It’s just... umm that I... yi yi yi, God... I can feel it, umm waiting for me there... ow, just beyond my reach."

"It?" She dug a little harder, feeling the muscles beneath her hands beginning to relax and unclench under her soothing touch.

"My, oh yeah, that feels good... my mobility. My strength."

"That’s wonderful, sweetheart. But Geoff, what’s the rush? You are so far ahead of where the doctors ever thought you’d be. You weren’t supposed to recover at all."

"It’s hard to explain, Jill. It’s almost like... anxiety? All I know is there is a driving need... a force almost pushing me to get well."

"Well, Geoff, I’m really glad you’ve got such focus and drive, but honey, you’ve got to harness it." She took a deep breath. "What is the point of working so hard that you hurt yourself, huh? You gave your daughter away standing on your own two feet. Re-injuring yourself because you pushed too hard is senseless."

"You’re... right, sweetheart." He panted his way through more pain. The relaxing of his muscles was almost as agonizing as the spasms had been. He was gonna be sore for days after this little debacle.

Slowly, her contact became more of a caress and he lay there relishing the simple touch. The weapons smith reminded himself to be thankful for the closeness and comfort they could share, and for Jill’s infinite patience. With rare exception, the only times she had lost her temper with him was when he hurt himself pushing too hard.

"I love you, ya know," he said to her.

"I know you do. I think it is one reason you are pushing yourself so hard. But Geoff, I will love you no matter what. For better or worse, come hell or high water." She blew out a breath, and pulled the sheet up over his naked back. "I think you need to stay in bed tomorrow and rest." She paused and waited for the outburst that didn’t come. She looked down to see him regarding her seriously.

"I think you’re right," he answered after a bit. "All my extra pushing is doing is landing me back in bed in agony. I’ve got pace myself a bit better...." He sighed in frustration. "I just need to get back on my feet."

"You will, love. You will. Rest now. We can worry about it tomorrow."

He would have answered, had not Carbon chosen precisely that moment to stand on his hind legs and lean on the bed to give Geoff a good face washing. The weapons smith laid there chuckling until the puppy was satisfied Geoff’s face was clean. Carbon looked up at Jill with an almost grin, tongue lolling out one side of his mouth. It was clear he was quite pleased with his efforts.

"Still working on that whole obedience thing, huh?" She took a warm, wet rag and wiped her husband’s face.

"Well," he replied still chuckling. "We haven’t had him two weeks yet, ya know."

"And it’s REAL hard to try and tell him to sit when you’re laughing so hard," Jill said with her own little giggle, giving the shepherd pup a good scratch behind the ears. The dog whimpered in response and nuzzled her hand affectionately. "Now, go lay down, Carbon."

The puppy cocked his head in question, then with drooping ears, headed for the bed they’d made up for him in their room. You could almost hear the sigh in his body language as Carbon resettled himself for bed.

"You know, it’s a good thing the girls aren’t going to be gone any longer than they are."

"Why is that, Sweetheart?" Geoff turned his head to face his wife who was gently climbing back into bed. She made her nest, laying on her side and placing a hand on his back to stroke it softly.

"Because he’s a very smart little guy, and I could get attached too easily."

"Yeah, I noticed he stayed in his bed watching until he was sure you were through, and he seemed to know that you were helping and not hurting me. I could get attached to him too." He thought a moment. "Randi would kill us."

"No, dear. Randi would be devastated. *Gwen* would kill us."

"Ooh... good point. That would not be pretty, especially after having given up Ditto to Randall."

"Um hmm. Besides, we really don’t have a good place for a dog at home."

"Good point," the weapons smith agreed aloud, though he knew it wasn’t entirely true. "But it’s been fun having him visit. And training him has been a hoot."

"You just like watching him chase his tail," Jill chuckled again, before the room fell into the silence of sleep.

 

 

"When are we expecting them back?" Ella asked Tommy as she prepared breakfast. He was pouring juice and Randall was happy to see his coming. His father smiled at the child’s enthusiasm.

"I dunno for sure. Randi wasn’t real specific about it, but I’d suspect in the next day or two. They’ve been gone almost two weeks."

Randall banged his spoon on the table, trying to remind his parents of their need to feed him.

"Hmm, it’ll be nice to have them home again and settled down to married life finally," Ella commented as she put the boy’s plate in front of him. Randall dug right in. Ditto sat in her spot beside him, waiting for the inevitable fallout. "I have never seen two people more deserving of a little peace and happiness than those two. They suffered so much just to be together."

"Um hmm. The latest pool running on them at work is what their first married argument will be about."

Ella turned to look Tommy fully in the face then, eyes wide in astonishment. "You are joking. Please tell me you are making a very bad joke to get a rise out of me."

"Nope. Word got around to me yesterday afternoon."

"For heaven’s.... Why I oughta just...." Her tirade was stopped by his warm touch. "Why can’t people just mind their own damn business?!? Haven’t they been through enough without having to be so much gossip?"

"Honey, I agree with you. But they are a fascinating couple. What they have is so rare, and most of these people watched them fall in love. Hell, these folks knew that Gwen and Randi were in love long before the two of them caught a clue."

"Then why are their friends," said with a bite of sarcasm, "waiting for them to fight?"

"No, honey," he answered, putting his arms around her and drawing her back into his body. "That’s not it at all. Randi and Gwen are usually so in tune with each other, the guys at work are curious to know what they will disagree on first." He chuckled. "Though I guess some of them just want to see the sparks fly and the make-up afterwards."

She pulled out of his embrace. "I don’t think it’s funny, Tommy. They really have been to hell and back for each other. And now when they have a chance for happiness, their friends play games like this??"

"You’re right, babe. But you know the two of them have been a favorite topic of speculation and gossip since Randi first came to Midas."

"And you are *so* lucky Randi has never gotten wind of those particular bits of gossip either." Ella raised a brow to emphasize her point, but she couldn’t help the smile that crossed her lips at the thought of some of the pools the company had held on their behalf.

"Oh, no kidding. The sparks of THEM fighting and making up would be nothing in comparison to the fires she’d light kicking my butt to kingdom come." He paused. "And I’d just be the first in a very long line."

"Um hmm."

"Maybe I should put a quick end to this pool."

"Or be very sure she doesn’t find out."

"That I can do. We have LOTS of practice in that particular skill. Nobody wants Randi *or* Gwen to hear about this particular activity."

Ella chuckled, and Tommy smiled that the tension was broken at last. "I’ll just bet. What’s the odds-on favorite?"

"Randi’s over-protectiveness. Most everyone thinks it will cause Gwen to blow first."

"Well, it will be good to have them home again regardless," she said. Randall beat his spoon on the table just then, and Tommy turned around and laughed.

"Not getting enough attention there, buddy? Well c’mon, little man. Let me eat a bite, then we’ll go get cleaned up for work today."

"O go?"

"We’ll see. I imagine O can go for a little while."

Ella just smiled as she watched them interact.

 

 

"This is such a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing it with me." They had spent their final day re-walking the property, and Gwen was looking forward even more to returning when warmer weather would allow them to access the other activities available. Randi stopped walking then and released the bard’s hand, only to wrap her strong arms around Gwen and pull the blonde back into her body.

They stood entwined together like that for long moments, watching as the sun dropped below the horizon. With its passing, the temperature started to plummet, and they walked hastily back to the warmth of the small cabin.

"I thought our honeymoon would be a good time to share this sanctuary with you. A place just for us."

"I really do like the sound of that. It is nice to know there is a place we can come to where it is just you and me."

They stepped into the cabin, and were immediately surrounded by the heat the large fireplace was emitting. Gwen sighed, and went to stand in front of it, her hands extended before towards the flames. When the fire was tended, and the warrior had added more wood, Randi did the same, and within a few moments they were warm enough to move back to the kitchen area.

They took their prepared dinner back to the living area, and curled up together in front of the fireplace to eat. The meal passed in silence for the first few minutes, then Gwen looked up at the warrior with a twinkle in her eyes.

"You know what I think I’ll miss most about this place?"

Randi smiled rakishly and wiggled her eyebrows. "Can’t be the love making. I don’t see anything changing on that front for decades, except getting better."

The bard laughed, turning beet red even as she slapped at the firm belly beside her. "Pretty sure of yourself aren’t ya there, Stud?"

In the blink of an eye, the mischief in Randi’s eyes turned to seriousness, and she captured Gwen’s hand in her own and brought it to her lips. "No, love. I am that sure of us."

The storyteller was stunned into speechlessness, but it didn’t keep her from reacting. She slipped her hand from Randi’s and slid it into the dark tresses, urging the warrior’s lips down to meet her own. "Always," she whispered as they pulled apart breathlessly.

"Forever," the warrior answered as she drew them together again. Their dinner cooled as minutes passed in gentle exploration.

"Hmm," Gwen murmured as they separated again and resumed eating. "You sure are good at that."

"Mm, so are you, but a little extra practice never hurt anybody." She paused and waggled her eyebrows once again. "So can I interest you in practicing with me later?"

"Oh yeah. Practice makes perfect, ya know."

The silence that fell over them as the finished their meal was comfortable. Randi took her empty plate and Gwen’s to the sink. The bard refilled their wineglasses and they returned to their places in front of the fire. This time though, the blonde sat between the Marine’s long legs and Randi wrapped her arms around Gwen’s torso.

"So," The Sabre asked her companion, "what are you going to miss the most about this place?"

"The atmosphere. My muse came back to me here. There is just something about this place that made it easy to tell stories again... even the ones that hurt to tell." She leaned back a little more into the body behind her. "I’d like to take some of that home with me again."

Randi leaned forward and nuzzled the ear. "I don’t think you have to worry about that, love. You promised me more Soulmate stories when we get home, and once you get started, there will be no stopping the flow."

"I hope you’re right."

"You know I am. You’re gonna keep telling them to me, and pretty soon the world will be hearing your stories again."

"Thank you, love. You have no idea what your faith in me means to me,"

"Yes, I do, Gwen. Because it works both ways."

"Can I tell you something?"

"Anything, you know that. No more secrets."

"I am going to like being married to you, I think." Gwen could feel the silent laughter flowing through the body behind her. "Something funny back there, Stud?’

"No, beloved. I’m glad you think so. So do I. This is a lifetime commitment for me."

"Longer than that, Randi. We are eternal."

It was quiet again for a time after that, as they both sat contemplating the flames and affirming again in their own hearts and minds the bond between them. Gwen squeezed the hands encircling her waist and felt them tighten in response.

"Wanna go practice some more?"

"Oh, I like that idea."

They never noticed when the fire turned to ember and ash. They were totally immersed in the fire they were creating between them.

 

 

"You ready to go home, love?" Everything was packed and put away, and they were loading the last few things on the bike for their return trip.

Gwen came up behind the warrior and wrapped her arms around the taller woman. "Yep. I’ve had a wonderful time here, and I know we will be coming back again. It is time for us to go home and start our life there as a married couple."

Randi turned, and drew the bard more fully into her embrace. "I really like the sound of that. I never thought all this would be possible, and now I hold the world in my hands." She brushed a tender kiss across the blonde head.

"So, do I, love. So do I. Let’s go home."

THE END

06/02-01/03

 


Return to The Bard's Corner