Tears of Silver

(Early July 1997; revised July 22, 1997)

 

by Bongo Bear
(bongobear@hotmail.com)

 

"Gabrielle, do we have everything we need, yet? Gabrielle! Are you listening?" Xena whirled around, realizing that her bard had left her standing alone, again. She stretched her neck to see into the crowded market place behind her. Her eyes scanned the sea of bobbing heads for that familiar strawberry-blonde. Finally, she spotted Gabrielle haggling excitedly with a jewelry vendor.

"This is nice, but not that nice. Two dinars!" Gabrielle countered, while dangling a pendant in front of her face. The merchant shook his head, "Four dinars or leave!" Gabrielle was about to make her final offer when Xena strode up to her and grabbed her shoulder. "I told you not to wander off like that. It's time to go. Pay the man. And move it!" Gabrielle tossed four dinars into the merchant's waiting hands and ran after Xena.

Gabrielle trotted up to Xena's side with a slightly annoyed look around her mouth, but her eyes were smiling. "I was just getting warmed up. I could do better than that. Do ya wanna see what I bought?" Gabrielle held out the pendant for the warrior to examine. Xena waved her hand aside. "Show me later, we have to be within Amazon borders by tomorrow afternoon." Gabrielle sighed and tucked the jewel into her pouch.

"Why are we always in such a rush? The harvest festival doesn't start for another two days. We'll get there in plenty of time."

"Look, I don't like to be late. And we will be late if you're always gawking at trinkets, or cute bunnies, or whatever else catches your eye. You've got to learn to focus. Focus! " Xena said, throwing up her hands. Whispering under her breath, "When will you grow up?"

"Hey, I heard that last part. I am an adult, ya know. I just don't see the need to be so... so intense all the time. When will you learn to relax and enjoy the moment?"

"I was relaxed. At least until you started acting like a brat!" Xena hissed between clenched teeth. Gabrielle glared at her warrior and decided to hold her tongue, for the moment.

 

*****

 

They walked in silence through the market gates and out into the surrounding forest. The tall, fragrant pines formed a green canopy above their heads and shielded them from Apollo's mid-day glare. The cacophony of commerce died away and was replaced by the pair's soft footfalls through pine needles. The cool, refreshing air did its magic. Tempers that flared minutes before cooled to quiet contemplation.

Xena stopped and turned to look down at her bard. "Gabrielle, I'm sorry I snapped at you. You weren't doing anything all that horrible." She grinned and lightly rested her hands on her bard's shoulders.

 

"That's not exactly an apology for being bitchy, but you're forgiven anyway." Gabrielle smiled sweetly, looking up into her warrior's blue eyes.

Xena's grin wavered a bit. "Bitchy, eh?" Gabrielle nodded vigorously. "Very much so."

"Let's stop for lunch. While you were haggling with that merchant, I picked up some cheese, bread, fruit, and some other things." Xena stepped off the trail they were following in the forest and began to unpack their supplies on a nearby log.

Gabrielle took this opportunity to open her pouch where she tucked the pendant away earlier. She pulled it out and tied the cord loosely around her neck. She sat next to Xena and held it out for her to see.

"What do you think? Was it worth four dinars?"

With the pendant still around Gabrielle's neck, Xena held it in her hands, peering at it closely. The small pendant, heavy for its size, was of finely wrought silver with a polished onyx mounted between two writhing snakes. The back of the pendant had an inscription Xena could not read.

"The material and workmanship are good, but the style really doesn't suit you. What does the inscription on the back say?" Xena popped a plump, juicy red grape into Gabrielle's open mouth.

Swallowing first, Gabrielle said, "You think it's ugly, don't you?"

"I didn't say it was ugly. I just don't think it fits your personality. Now what about the inscription?"

"I think it's an obscure eastern dialect. Something about passion. I'll look up the syntax later."

"Passion? You bought an amulet of passion?" Xena's eyebrow rose on the word. She popped another, even bigger grape into her bard's mouth.

"Yeah, I was feeling kind of passionate so I bought it. I think passion suits me just fine," Gabrielle said, playfully talking around the second grape. Xena released the pendant and watched it come to rest between Gabrielle's breasts.

"Hmmm, you suit me just fine." Xena laid her hand on the side of Gabrielle's face. "You shouldn't talk with your mouth full." Xena leaned in to kiss Gabrielle's full lips. The kiss started softly, but grew more intense. Suddenly, Gabrielle pulled away. "Hey, I was going to eat that." Xena swallowed the grape and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm hungry, too!" Xena sat back on the log, grinning broadly at yet another of her many skills.

Gabrielle suddenly rushed Xena, knocked her off the log and leapt on top of her, straddling her warrior's waist. "You want grapes? Here!" Gabrielle began stuffing Xena's mouth with grape after grape. Xena kept up until she almost choked with laughter and too much grape juice. Gabrielle didn't stop until purple juices ran out of the corners of Xena's mouth. Xena could feel the cool liquid drip down her cheek and well up in one of her ears. Giggling uncontrollably, Gabrielle waited for Xena to finish swallowing the last grape.

"Aah, look at what I did to you! You're all sticky. Heh, heh. Let me clean it up for ya." Gabrielle, leaning over, began gently licking off the mess, starting with her tongue in the juice-filled ear and moving on to the side of Xena's face. When she got to the chin, Xena grasped Gabrielle's soft hair at the back of her head and held her for a long, intense kiss that left Gabrielle breathless.

Breathing deeply, Gabrielle laid her head on Xena's shoulder and whispered mischievously into her ear, "Oh dear, I'm starting to feel a little sticky myself." Gabrielle carefully repositioned herself over Xena's supine body. Her forearms rested at either side of Xena's head, her hands gently stroking the dark tresses. Her knees still straddled Xena's hips. She looked into Xena's half-lidded eyes and began to play her tongue on her lover's grape-sweetened lips.

Xena's fingers lightly stroked figure eights along Gabrielle's exposed sides and back, then skated their way down past her bard's waist. Gabrielle's eyes closed contentedly and her body relaxed into the gentle stimulation. Xena's hands slowly began to pull up Gabrielle's loose skirt. Gabrielle first felt a breeze on her bottom, then she felt Xena's finger tips climb past her trembling thighs and circle around her center. Xena began to stroke the moist, warm folds, teasing them open. "Gabrielle, you're not just sticky, you're sopping wet. What a mess it must be down there. Do you want me to clean it for you?" Gabrielle's eyes opened widely, then closed as she nodded a slow "yes".

"No, I think you should wait a little bit more."

Gabrielle's head shot up and looked straight into Xena's face. "Wait? For the gods' sakes, whatever for? You're driving me mad! Please, please," She pleaded in soft whimper, "Please, I need to... now."

Xena shook her head "no". "Passion is best satisfied with patience," she said quietly, her eyes closed in concentration. She continued to tease Gabrielle with her fingers, massaging in and around her slippery, velvet contours. Losing all control, Gabrielle pushed herself against Xena's belly and ground her mound into the hard, leather covered muscles she found there. She bruised her mouth hard against her warrior's.

As her release began to build, she threw her head up and arched her back to increase the pressure against her lover's still clothed body. Xena clutched her bard by her hips, trying to guide her. Nearing the point of no return, she plunged her mouth against Xena's shoulder to muffle a feral cry. She began to mouth the inviting flesh. Xena writhed beneath her, matching Gabrielle's rhythmic moves, thrust for thrust. Her sharp teeth broke the skin when the release finally worked itself free.

"Oww, careful there, my little one. I think you left a bruise." Gabrielle had collapsed her head in exhaustion on Xena's injured shoulder. She raised herself to look. Xena tried to roll her shoulder forward so she could see the damage from Gabrielle's love bite. The marks were too close to the base of her neck to see. When Xena looked at Gabrielle's face, she saw spots of blood on her cheek, where she had rested it on the wound.

"Xena, I'm so sorry. I just lost it and bit you. Oh gods! What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing's wrong with you. I just got you so worked up. I shouldn't have teased you for so long."

"I can't stand being teased like that," Gabrielle pouted.

"Hey now, I had no idea you were so --"

"Passionate?"

"Yeah, passionate. First thing, you've got to get off of me. There's a rock under my back. Secondly, take a bath, a long cold bath. There's a stream just twenty yards from here." Xena pointed through the trees. "I'll go hunt us some fresh meat. You want rabbit, don't you, for stew?"

"Sure Xena, whatever you say." Her face was flushed with embarrassment. Gabrielle picked herself up, arranged her clothes, and walked over to their supplies for a linen towel. As Xena watched the bard merge into the woods, she called out, "Take your time; we're not in any hurry here."

Absently rubbing her injured shoulder, she said to herself, "Gods above, I've created a little she-devil. I can't remember anyone giving me a good, ol' fashioned hickey in years!"

She looked down at her leather tunic. There was a very obvious wet spot just above her navel. "A good sponging off is in order here," she chuckled softly to herself, then shuddered. She had other older, faded stains on her leathers that were fresh and clear in her memories. Red blood from her numerous victims. Brown mud from countless battlefields. Gray ashes from a hundred funeral pyres. Xena suddenly realized how closely akin was the sexual lust of love to the blood lust of battle. She shook her head. "I'm thinking about this much too hard. And so is Gabrielle. We need to talk about this later."

 

*****

 

Xena caught a small rabbit for that evenings' meal. She also set several snares so they would have something for breakfast as well. She wanted to save time preparing their morning meal since they had an appointment to keep with the Amazons. After all, they didn't get any traveling in after lunch. Now, that Xena thought about it, they didn't get much lunch either.

She just finished dressing the rabbit when Gabrielle returned from her bath. Her skin glowed radiantly clean and her long hair, darkened with wetness, hung loosely down her back. Xena felt her pulse quicken at the sight and fresh scent of her bard. She rose to take Gabrielle into her arms and planted a gentle kiss on her lips. Gabrielle began to return the kiss, but drew back when Xena tried to deepen it.

"What's wrong?" Xena held Gabrielle out from her embrace to look her in the eye.

Gabrielle looked up into Xena's face. "I'm just a little nervous after earlier. You know, I don't feel right about it. Not yet."

"That's fine. Don't worry about it. You'll learn. After all, we've only been lovers for a handful of moons." Xena brought her bard's head to her chest and gently stroked her hair.

"But I've hurt you."

"No, not really. Believe me when I tell you that I've had much worse. Besides, I love you, no matter what you do to me."

"Even the incident with the grapes?" Gabrielle smiled at the memory of bluish grape stains coloring Xena's pale white cheeks. It contrasted nicely with the red flush of her arousal.

"Well, except for that," Xena chuckled softly into Gabrielle's ear. "You know when I'm kidding, right?"

"Yeah, I do," Gabrielle said looking into Xena's face. As she melted into the embrace, she whispered into Xena's shoulder, "Most of the time."

 

*****

 

After a rich dinner of rabbit stew, they sat quietly around the campfire, engaged in the routine that defined constancy in their otherwise turbulent lives. Gabrielle's quill scratched out their latest adventures on the parchment balanced on her knees. Xena's sharpening stone scraped and smoothed the nicks from the sword she wielded on those same adventures. Xena looked over at Gabrielle's pensive face. She was holding the quill under her chin, apparently searching for the right word or phrase. Xena was quite pleased with herself, feeling that all was right with their small corner of the known world. And it was, until they prepared for bed.

"For Zeus' sake, you're not going to bite me while I'm asleep! I won't let you!"

"You know we sometimes.... play, uh, with each other... in our sleep. Especially you! I don't want to take any chances."

"It's just a hickey! I used to pass them out by the dozens when I was your age."

"Well, you don't have to flaunt your experience at me, little Miss Been-There, Done-That! I can see it. You can't. It's dark and bruised. Of course, the bleeding's stopped." Gabrielle's hands were on her hips. Her left leg was slightly behind the right leg whose foot was tapping the ground impatiently.

"Fine, suit yourself. Do you want an extra blanket? It's a lot colder sleeping all by your lonesome," Xena asked hopefully.

"No, I'll just bed down across the fire from you. Gods, Xena can't you just lay the Tartarus off of me for a night or two?"

"Or two?"

"It'll be three if you keep pestering me! Now, good night!"

Xena dropped her head back into her bedroll and sighed an exasperated, perhaps exaggerated sigh. She knew in her heart that Gabrielle was right. She pushed her desires on the girl, no woman, without giving her time to sort out her feelings about their evolving relationship. Well, it's not like she's still a virgin. Perdicus saw to that, Xena thought to herself. But it was obvious Perdicus didn't bring out the same feelings and passions that Xena could.

 

*****

 

Moonlight filtered down through the forest and cast long, dark shadows over the underbrush. Small fireflies flitted between the leaves and bushes. The glowing eyes of night predators blinked open from their daily slumber.

A shadow emerged from the darkness. It looked up into the trees as if it had never seen them before this night. It wandered slowly, quietly from tree to tree. Its claws rasped against the bark as it passed. With its head tilted back, it sniffed the air for some hint of its purpose. There! It caught a scent of smoke, well-worn leather, and prey.

Crouched in a large tree overlooking the campsite, its glowing yellow eyes surveyed the scene below. The light was low, but it could still see a woman sleeping soundly by the dying fire. It licked its lips at the thought of pouncing upon the sleeping form, then hauling her up by the hair and jerking back her head to expose the soft, vulnerable throat. It knew her flesh would taste sweet and her warm blood would satisfy. But the long, sharp sword by the woman's side gave the beast some pause. It remembered, from a distant memory, that the sword's bite could kill.

It also knew, somehow, that the woman would be a powerful adversary. Too dangerous for tonight's pleasure, the beast thought, shaking its head. The beast slowly climbed out of the tree to look for easier pickings elsewhere. Something that wouldn't struggle as much but could still quench its thirst.

 

*****

 

Rising with Apollo's ascent as usual, Xena went out to check the snares. What she saw had her running back to camp and tipping Gabrielle out of her bedroll. Gabrielle flopped limply out of the bedding and on to the hard earth. Thoroughly awakened and pissed off, she rolled over and stood up quickly, trying to disentangle the bedding from her legs while throwing an evil look at Xena.

"What's your problem this morning? Are we out of tea, again? There was some at the market. You should have bought some when you had the chance."

"No, no, stop chattering. That's not it. I checked the snares this morning."

"And that explains what?" Gabrielle said, throwing her hands up in the air.

"There were rabbits in them all right. Dead from having their throats torn out. It must have been some wild beast. Except that none of the meat was eaten. What animal kills without feeding? Why didn't I know it was out there last night? We have to leave now. It's too dangerous staying here any longer than necessary."

"Some beastie, huh? Okay, okay, just give me a minute to clean up. Where's the waterskin?" Xena tossed it to Gabrielle. She poured a little into her hand and cupped it to her face to clean it. She didn't notice the slight pink tinge in the water as she rinsed her face.

 

*****

 

A rustling in the trees above and the call of doves announced their arrival in the Amazon Nation. Xena raised her arms and clasped her hands together in a peaceful salute. Gabrielle tucked her staff into the crook of her arm and did the same. A half dozen sleek forms rappelled from the trees and came to rest on bended knees at Queen Gabrielle's feet.

Gabrielle reached down for the nearest Amazon warrior whose blonde ringlets peaked out from under her headdress. She lifted up the feathered mask. "Rise, Ephiny," she said with grave formality. Ephiny, the Queen's regent, rose gracefully and with equal grace picked up Gabrielle and swung her around. "It's so good to have you back home! How long will you be staying? We have rooms set up for both of you."

Laughing, Gabrielle exclaimed, "Ephiny, please put me down. It's just a little embarrassing. I'm very glad to see you, too. We're here for the harvest festival. I guess we'll stay for as long as the festival lasts." Gabrielle looked over at Xena for confirmation. The warrior nodded.

"We'll only be needing one room, by the way." Ephiny looked her Queen with a puzzled expression that quickly evaporated when she glanced at Xena and saw her neck. "Oh, oh, I see. Of course." Xena was pleased that she and Gabrielle would be sleeping together again. She was not pleased with the furtive chuckles and smirks from the Amazons around her.

Gabrielle led the welcoming party back to the Amazon village. Xena made a point to drop back in the procession to have a word with Ephiny. "Would you stop staring." Ephiny looked at Xena with mock surprise. "Who me? Stare at that love bite? It's a real beauty. Obviously, your relationship with our Queen has warmed to something more intimate?" Ephiny gently poked Xena in the ribs. Xena glared back, slowly clenching and unclenching her fists. "Now don't get so upset. As long as you keep the Queen happy, the Amazons are happy. And when my people are happy, I'm just ecstatic. You remember that." Xena relented and let her anger cool.

"By the way, Ephiny, warn your sentries about a wild beast loose in the forest. I found evidence of its passing just a few hours' walk from here."

"A beast? What kind?"

"I don't know. I know it likes cute lil' rabbits. Why don't you send out a hunting party and bring it down?"

" 'Cute lil' rabbits'?" Ephiny said incredulously, "Where did that come from?"

"Oh, it's what Gabrielle likes to call her dinner."

"Kind of spoils the appetite if you ask me. Anyway, that's not a bad idea. I'll see about organizing something tonight. We have to bring in some more venison anyway. The Queen's appetite, you know."

 

*****

 

It was too bright and too loud near the village. The beast panicked. It raced through the forest, stopping to rest briefly at a tree here, a boulder there. Persistent hunger drove it forward. Its panting echoed through the trees. Its pulse pounded in its ears. "Calm, calm, slow down," it told itself. "I have all night long to feed."

 

*****

 

The harvest festival games and competitions were scheduled to commence the day after the Queen arrived. Warriors vied for honors in archery, swordplay, and the quarterstaff. The ranchers showed off their champion sheep, cows, horses, and emus. Little Tasha, an Amazon rancher by birth, went to check in on her prized sheep's stable just before the competition was about to begin.

When she peered over the stable gate, her screams were shrill enough to draw a small herd of Amazon warriors into the stable. "What's happened here?" said the captain of the guard. Tasha mutely pointed to what was left of her sheep. Its head was carelessly thrown into the corner of the stable. The thick wool coat of its body was heavily stained in a pool of its own blood. The half gnawed legs were snapped off like dry wood and tossed into the stable rafters.

Xena was called in to see the carnage. "Is this what you saw outside of our territory?" Ephiny asked.

"Yes, except it was rabbits before. This beast is bigger than I originally thought if it can tear a sheep apart like that."

"It may be even worse than that. I just received a report from our hunting scouts last night. They found mutilated bodies of deer in the forest. Pieces of the meat were even thrown into the trees! I want you by the Queen's side all the times, Xena. I will double the guards around your room tonight. What in Tartarus is this beast?"

 

*****

 

The Queen called an emergency council session that night to discuss the beast. "I'm getting word that this creature has attacked pets as well as farm animals. That means it's lurking around people's homes. It's only a matter of time before it attacks a human. I want guards patrolling the village itself."

Ephiny rose and addressed the council. "We don't even know what kind of animal this is. Does anyone have a suggestion?" A voice from the back of the room cried out, "Consult the priestesses at the temple. They have ancient knowledge that may help us." Ephiny nodded, "Right, we'll visit the temple when this session is adjourned."

Gabrielle closed the session and was about to rise and join Ephiny at the temple of the Amazon's patron goddess, Artemis. Ephiny pulled Gabrielle aside and whispered to her, "You should return to your room, my Queen. You're not well. Xena tells me that you've hardly eaten since you arrived."

Gabrielle did appear pale and wane. Her mane of strawberry-blonde hair had lost its luster and lay limply across her brow. And her prodigious appetite was reduced to a cup of wine and a crust of bread at dinner. Despite the apparent weakness, Gabrielle's eyes shone brightly with an almost inhuman intensity.

Ephiny called a guard to escort the Queen to her chambers. Xena, who never left Gabrielle's side, protested the need for another guard. Ephiny explained to Xena that she was needed at the temple as well.

 

*****

 

Ephiny tugged at Xena's arm, trying to get her to kneel at Artemis' altar. Xena steadfastly refused to budge. "I don't bend my knee to anyone. Now let go of my arm before I tear off yours."

Releasing Xena's elbow, Ephiny said, "You have a major attitude problem. Not even the gods? Not even for Artemis?"

"Especially her! That meddling bi --"

"XENA!" A disembodied voice rang out her name.

Ephiny whispered, "Artemis is here," and quickly bowed her head.

"XENA! How dare you show such impertinence in my own temple! You have the nerve to call me for help when it's you that causing the problem."

"Me, how?"

"Have you been making love to my Chosen One?"

"Oh, so now you're the Goddess of Voyeurism."

"You try my patience, warrior. Answer the question."

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes. What of it? We've been lovers for moons and no one's complaining."

"Until now," Ephiny chimed in. Xena raised her eyebrow at the intrusion. "You two make more noise than Cerberus on a bad day. Don't you have any respect for the Queen's dignity? Why don't you just do it in the middle of the village square and bay at the moon while you're at it!"

"As a matter of fact, we have bayed at the moon, but only because we normally camp out in the open. Lately, we've been cooped up in the royal palace."

"I suppose the royal palace isn't good enough for you!" Ephiny shot back. "Gabrielle is my Queen. We Amazons know how to take care of the ones we love!"

"Ephiny, I've had it with your big, obnoxious mouth!" Xena snarled in low voice, "Let's dance." She drew her sword from the scabbard on her back. Ephiny drew hers. They settled themselves into identical crouches, circled each other, and waited for the other to strike first. Artemis rolled her eyes up and said, "You two know better than to spill any blood in my temple."

"Fine, we'll take it outside," said Xena. Ephiny nodded her consent.

"No! No fighting! Ephiny, go back to the palace and guard the Queen. Xena, you and I have to talk. Now!" Ephiny bowed, backed quickly out of the temple and ran to the palace gates. Xena sheathed her sword and waited for an explanation.

"Xena, do you remember when both you and Gabrielle were turned into Bacchae last harvest moon?"

"The last time I saw Bacchus, he had a very dry, very sharp dryad bone sticking out of his chest. I put it there. He's not a problem any more," she said smugly. "Wait, are you telling me there's a Bacchae loose in the forest?"

Artemis nodded. "That Bacchae is Gabrielle and she's become a Bacchae because of what you're doing to her." Xena stood in stunned silence. "How?" she asked weakly.

"We gods have immortal souls just like you humans. Even when our corporeal forms are destroyed, our souls can live on if they can attach themselves to something in the world. That's why all of the gods have temples. They're our refuge in case the worst happens and we die as only gods can die."

"Bacchus had no temples; he just threw wild parties wherever he happened to be," Xena pointed out.

"True, but he had minions. And every minion wore an amulet that would have provided the same refuge as a temple. But unlike a temple, his soul or spirit is broken up among all of those amulets. There are thousands in existence. As long as there are so many, Bacchus' power is essentially neutralized."

"Does this amulet look anything like Gabrielle's?"

Artemis nodded her head. "Yes, Gabrielle has an amulet of Bacchus."

"But she translated the writing on it to mean something about passion. What has passion got to do with Bacchus?"

"Everything. You see, Bacchus is attracted to unbridled passion. Emotion without any control or real thought leads down the path to madness. That's the curse the God of Wine brings when mortals overindulge. As you found out on your own, Gabrielle is extremely passionate. She always has been. That's what makes her such a wonderful bard. That also makes her susceptible to Bacchus' influence. Her passion is what attracted his Bacchae minions to her in the first place. Although, she was bitten and returned to normal, a germ of Bacchus' spirit remained with her body. As it does with yours, Xena."

"Why haven't I become a Bacchae then?" Xena ran her tongue over her upper canines. They felt no sharper than usual.

"You know how to control your emotions, your passions. You've been doing it for years on the battlefield and in the bed. The blood lust you feel during combat is so much like the lust you feel when aroused. You know this to be true. Until two years ago, you had let the blood lust rule your mind. I suppose that's what drew Ares to you. But you've never really let yourself go with the other kind of lust. The emotions there are more cool and calculating. I don't know how you do it," Artemis said, shaking her head. "That's Aphrodite's department. Your tight control over your sexual feelings makes your immune to Bacchus' after-effects."

Xena felt her face redden at all the intimate knowledge the goddess revealed about her. Artemis knew her all too well.

"Gabrielle is still inexperienced when dealing with the physical expression of her passion. It's wild and uncontrolled in her. Her possession of the amulet and your constant teasing, combined has fed that germ of Bacchus until it has grown into a complete Bacchae. You truly have made a she-devil out of my Chosen."

"You knew about this all along. You could have intervened at any time. Why now?"

"We have rules about non-interference on Mount Olympus. Not everyone follows them to the letter. But I go along with the rules unless I have a good reason to break them."

"Typical arrogance from the gods. Why bother?" said Xena.

"I have good reason in this case: Gabrielle is in danger of losing her blood innocence. Without it, Hades will not grant to her a place in the Elysian Fields. All of the risk factors point to her going beyond mutilating animals and taking a human life. I cannot let my Chosen One suffer an eternity in Tartarus when I know she deserves to be in the Fields."

"Tell me this: how can Gabrielle go out and kill all those animals without me knowing about it? We're together in the evenings, if you know what I mean. Sometimes even all night long."

"As a Bacchae, she can put a glamour over you so you don't realize what's happened. You're not as clever as you think, my warrior princess."

Chastened, the warrior said quietly, "Gabrielle would do that to me?"

"She's done it already. Remember the first night you and Gabrielle arrived here?"

"Ah, yes. She was so insatiable. She must have cried out my name a dozen times that night!" Xena recalled, half closing her eyes at the delicious memory.

"It never happened," Artemis said. Xena's brow furrowed in confusion. Artemis continued, "She put one over you and went out for a bite. Actually, several."

"What about all the noise Ephiny complained about?"

"Gabrielle put on a spell on her, too. You warrior types are rather easily manipulated."

Xena looked completely crestfallen. Artemis' tone softened and she placed her hand on Xena's shoulder, "She's not herself. She needs our help. She needs your help."

"What should I do?"

"Take the amulet from her. That may not be enough if she's had it too long. The other option is not one I relish." Artemis pulled a silver arrow from her quiver. She drew the razor sharp arrowhead across her left breast and dipped the head into the blood welling up from the wound. The immortal's blood soaked into the core of the arrowhead like water into a sponge. "This arrow has been consecrated with my blood. It will kill the spirit of Bacchus within her. You must plunge it into her heart."

"No! Don't you realize that it will kill Gabrielle as well?" The thought of her lover's blood added to the layers already crusted on her soul devastated Xena's fighting spirit.

"Of course I know that! But there's no other choice. You must stop her before she loses her blood innocence. If she dies, at least her immortal soul will be in the Elysian Fields. Now take it! Go and do what you can for her. If you truly love her, you'll do what needs to be done." Xena took the arrow from Artemis' outstretched hands and stormed out of the temple. Artemis stood alone in her temple, her head hanging down. "And I'll do what I can for her."

 

*****

 

Ephiny relieved the guard outside of her Queen's door as Artemis requested. No sooner had Ephiny taken her post, her Queen called out to her. "Ephiny, I need you. Please come to me," Gabrielle's voice drifted through the door.

The regent walked into the room to find her Queen reclining completely naked on the bed. Ephiny blushed, not at the sight of the Queen's body, but at the look Gabrielle bore into her. Her dilated eyes were full of lust and smoldering passion. Gabrielle beckoned to her regent with a crooked finger saying, "Xena's not here and I don't expect her for hours yet. I need some relief. Right now." Entranced, Ephiny obeyed without a thought and soon found herself crawling into bed with her Queen.

Gabrielle pulled her regent to her and placed her hands on either side of Ephiny's face. While maintaining eye contact, Gabrielle gently brought Ephiny's lips to her own. Ephiny could see her Queen's unnaturally dark eyes staring back unblinkingly. Ephiny felt repulsed and tried to break away, but the Queen held her tight. Ephiny looked deeper in the eyes front of her and saw that Gabrielle was still in there, somewhere.

"I've wanted to do this ever since I met you, Ephiny. I could never act upon my desires until now. I won't hurt you. I just want you to know how much I need you." Gabrielle felt Ephiny's tension ease. She tentatively parted her regent's lips and caressed the tender flesh within. When Ephiny snaked a hand behind her Queen's neck to return the kiss, Gabrielle knew her seduction was complete.

Gabrielle sucked on Ephiny's lower lip as she withdrew. "Do you want this, too?" Ephiny breathed a soft "yes" and closed her eyes. She didn't care what happened next as long as her Queen satisfied her need.

Gabrielle ran her tongue around Ephiny's ear and down her neck. She could almost taste the racing pulse of her regent. Deciding it was too soon to drink, she let her tongue's wet trail skim the upper edge of Ephiny's soft, leather top. Gabrielle tore that away and raked her teeth across Ephiny's breasts. Ephiny groaned at the sensation. Her own hands blindly sought Gabrielle's breasts.

The Queen just secured a swollen nipple in her mouth when Xena burst into the royal chamber to find Ephiny bent over backwards in Gabrielle's arms. Gabrielle looked up at Xena as she came into the room. Her eyes were now golden instead of the normal sea-green. Xena's face registered surprise and a hint of something else, envy perhaps? Gabrielle smiled a toothy grin at Xena. "Hold that thought, love. I'll get to you as soon as I'm done here with my gorgeous regent." Then she bent back to Ephiny's bared breast.

From across the room, Xena launched herself in a forward flip at Gabrielle, kicking her away from Ephiny. Gabrielle clutched her stomach where Xena left a large footprint and sagged against the wall. Xena's kick knocked the wind out of her long enough for Ephiny to come to her senses and crawl off the bed. She stumbled to pass out on the floor.

Gabrielle recovered and flew to the opposite side of the chamber. She landed and faced Xena, "Don't make me kill you. I may not be able to help myself, if you push me."

"Then stop running away. Let me help you. Give me the amulet, Gabrielle. Give it to me!"

"No! I can't. It needs me. I need it!" Gabrielle's face changed from pleading to raging fury as she hurled a three-pronged candlestick at Xena.

Xena batted away the candlestick and advanced forward, a cautious step at a time. Her hands were empty and open. She tried to be as non-threatening as possible.

Gabrielle's eyes searched for her staff. Xena watched her eyes track the room. Realizing Gabrielle's intention, she leapt for the staff which was propped up in a corner. They reached it at the same instant. They grappled over it until Gabrielle flipped Xena over her head. Xena's back landed heavily on the floor, raising up dust from the impact. Xena took a quick breath and arched her back to pull herself up to her feet in a single fluid motion.

As Xena stood up, Gabrielle jumped behind her and grabbed her in a neck lock. Sensing Gabrielle's mistake, Xena threw her superior weight forward and tossed Gabrielle on her back. Xena pounced on top of her to hold her down.

Xena thrust her forearm under Gabrielle's chin and grabbed at the amulet laying between her breasts. The amulet wouldn't budge. Xena looked down and could see that the snakes had buried their fangs into Gabrielle's chest. The onyx glowed with an otherworldly light. Xena pulled harder on the amulet. It finally came free with a strangled scream and bits of Gabrielle's flesh stuck to the fangs. The wound on her chest bled freely, then slowed, stopped, and healed over.

Gabrielle who had been looking down at her chest looked up into Xena's sapphire eyes. She mockingly said in a voice not her own, "You're too late. I've been reborn into this body. I'm not going back and you can't do anything about it." Gabrielle was about to thrust her tongue out at Xena when the warrior flashed Artemis' silver arrow in the air and plunged it deep into her chest.

Xena backed away from Gabrielle as her glowing eyes dimmed into their natural sea-green. The fangs retracted from her ruby red lips. But blood slowly bubbled forth over those fading lips. Gabrielle struggled for breath, but only drew more blood into her lungs. Xena's aim was true and deep; what else could it have been? Gabrielle was dying.

Xena sank to her knees as she watched the light go out of her bard, her lover, her soul mate. Ephiny, shaking off her trance, pulled Xena away from her dying Queen and held her tight. The dam broke inside and Xena began to sob uncontrollably into Ephiny's shoulder. Ephiny closed her eyes and stroked Xena's back, offering what little comfort she could give. She knew Xena just saved her life and her Amazons. But at such a price! Xena and Ephiny stood rocking in each other arms for what seemed an eternity.

A soft light, growing into a brilliant incandescence emanated from the floor. Its brightness startled Ephiny enough to pop her eyes open. She whirled Xena around so they both could see Artemis, in all her glory, cradling Gabrielle's limp body and sobbing over it.

She pulled the bloody arrow out of the gaping wound and threw it aside. The goddess' tears flowed like silver rain over her Chosen's breast, cooling the unbridled passions in the heart below. That same heart began to beat slowly, then more assuredly until it became as strong as an Amazon drum. Artemis did what she could do: she brought her beloved Chosen One from the brink of death.

Wiping her eyes and still sniffling, Artemis carried Gabrielle to the bed and gently tucked her in. Gabrielle slept in calm repose and her face glowed faintly from the presence of the goddess within her. Artemis' Chosen One would recover completely in a few days.

Artemis spied the two warriors, who stood frozen by the spectacle. She beckoned them over to the bedside. Tears still streaming down their faces, they stumbled to Gabrielle's side and fell to their knees. The goddess grasped both of their hands and made them swear oaths. Ephiny swore to continue her wise rule over the Amazons in Gabrielle's absence and to school her Queen so she could rule in her own name. Xena swore to love Gabrielle and to train her in the ways of the warrior and of the heart.

"And one more thing, my warrior princess," Artemis said, "stop teasing your bard."

 

*****

EPILOGUE

 

In time, Gabrielle made a full recovery and was relaxing with her warrior in a peaceful, green meadow. They had just finished a picnic lunch and were recounting their latest adventure.

"So, what was it like being a blood-sucking ghoul?" Xena asked the strawberry-blonde head lying in her lap.

"I was a Bacchae, not a ghoul and it wasn't so bad," said Gabrielle, sitting up and turning around to look at Xena.

" 'Not so bad'?" Xena exclaimed, "I expected you to be... more negative about the whole experience."

"When I was under the influence of Bacchus, I felt no inhibitions or conscience. I could hold a life in my hands and decide whether to keep it or crush it. I was powerful, feared and even respected by others. I could have anyone I wanted. I could do anything I wanted!" Gabrielle said with a rising fervor in her voice.

"You sound just like the warlord I was for ten long years. But I gave that life up. That yearning for power at any cost nearly destroyed my soul. I'm so thankful that Hercules and you came into my life to set me straight," Xena said solemnly.

"I came around to the same conclusion after you killed me and Artemis brought me back," Gabrielle said. "I did learn something else from this experience."

"What's that?"

"What took me only a few days to understand took you ten years. You're a very slow learner, my big, dumb warrior!"

"Why you pompous, little imp!" Xena made a grab at Gabrielle. But she was too late, for the quick, little bard already scampered away into the woods.

 

FINIS

 

 

 

Return to Bongo Bear's FanFic Page

Return to The Bard's Corner