Megan smiled at David and Mike, and said, "That was fun. I better get going now. I don’t want to be late."

"You’re a good player." David said, grinning at her. It had been fun having Megan over. They didn't see her much now that she had met Tony. He was very happy for both of them, but he did miss her visits.

"Nah. No better that you guys. We all won once," Megan said, chuckling. She’d always liked Pictionary. It was fun to see who could guess what you were drawing.

David and Mike walked with her to the door. "See you Monday," David said.

Smiling, Megan said, "Ok. Bye."

Pulling out of the drive and into the street, Megan looked around her. Tony had followed her to David and Mike’s house to make sure she wasn’t followed. Her partner had assured her no one had followed them, but the fact that Tony had thought it was necessary made her nervous.

Arriving at her parents' house, Megan got out of her car and walked to the side door of the two-story colonial. The house sat on a large lot with the deck facing a large pond. Woods bordered the back yard, and the front yard was gorgeously landscaped with flowers adorning the front of the house bordered by decorative stones.

With a light touch to the doorbell to announce her arrival, she opened the door and walked in.

Barbara walked into the foyer, smiled and said, "Hi, Megan," and then hugged her. "It’s good to see you."

"It’s good to see you too, Mom," Megan said, returning the hug with a smile.

"Your father’s in the living room. Why don’t you go join him while I finish dinner? It should be ready in about a half-hour. Would you like something to drink?"

Megan grinned, caught up in her mother's cheerfulness. "Do you have any iced tea?"

"Made some just for you," her mother, unable to wipe the smile from her face. She had missed her daughter. "Go on. I’ll bring it in."

"Thanks."

Megan walked into the living room. Her father was sitting in the recliner in an upright position. Even when he was off work, he had a professional appearance about him. He wore khakis and a sports shirt with the creases still intact.

"Hi Dad."

"Hello Megan." Waving his arm toward the couch, he said, "Make yourself comfortable."

Megan walked over and sat down. Knowing her father lived for his job, she said, "How’s work?"

"Very busy. We’ve had to add some associates because the firm is in such high demand," Charles said, proudly.

Megan smiled, and said, "That’s great. I know you’ve wanted to expand for a while now. What do Ken and Gene think about the new associates?"

Megan knew the other two senior partners had been reluctant to add more associates. They were concerned about their own profit margins.

"They’re ok with it. We’ve picked up some major new clients, and it allows us time to properly set them up. The associates can handle the routine clients."

Megan’s mother walked in and handed her a glass of iced tea. "Here you go."

"Thanks Mom."

"You’re welcome."

Looking at her husband and daughter, Barbara said, "Dinner will be ready in about 15 minutes," before turning around and walking back to the kitchen. Barbara was pleased. It looked like Megan and her father were doing just fine.

"I saw your picture in the paper. That was quite an impressive write up. It seems like a hard way to get a little recognition, though." Charles said, thinking of his personal agenda for his daughter.

"I like my job, Dad. It’s challenging to try and find evidence and clues to link together what happened to the victim." Megan smiled, warming to a topic she enjoyed. "It’s never boring, and I never stop learning."

She had decided to elaborate so her father would understand what she found fascinating about her job. Maybe then he would realize that she really was doing what she liked.

Charles looked at his daughter. She did seem happy. How could be make her understand that the Donnovan’s just didn’t work in public service? That detracted from the powerful image he had spent years developing. It was a constant source of embarrassment to him that his daughter was a pathologist. If she had to choose medicine, she could have at least chosen a field that was respected like surgery.

Charles stated his argument eloquently, the same way he addressed the court. "But Megan, that’s a gruesome job. I don’t see why you would want to work as a public servant for a pittance of money and little recognition, when you could be sitting in a nice clean office meeting with clients and making real money. It’s not too late to go back to school. With your brains you could probably finish in three years."

Megan looked at the earnest expression on her father’s face. "Dad, I don’t want to be a lawyer," Megan smiled, and continued, "I’d rather do the behind the scenes work. My picture getting in the paper was more of a fluke than anything else."

"If you call almost getting killed a fluke, then yes, it was. You put your life at risk helping to solve that case. You don’t make enough money to be put in that situation." Charles retorted.

"That was an exception. For the most part, my job is quite safe. A sociopath could just as easily target a lawyer," Megan said, watching her father intently.

Before Charles had time to formulate an answer, Barbara called from the dining room, "Dinner’s ready."

Charles and Megan walked into the dining room, and Charles assumed his seat at the head of the table.

Megan looked at the lavishly set table and delicious entrees her mother had made and smiled. There was stuffed Cornish hens, wild rice, asparagus and Cucumber salad.

"This looks great!" Megan said, smiling at her mother.

"I thought you might like it," Barbara said, pleased.

Megan ate, thoroughly enjoying the meal. She knew her mother spent a lot of time and effort in preparing savory meals and was an accomplished cook. She always enjoyed her mother’s creations.

Megan realized how much she missed this part of her relationship with her parents. Serious talk had always been avoided at the dinner table and the conversation revolved around their friends and family.

She listened to her mother talking about her plans for redecorating the den and offered her opinion. Even her father had a few ideas to contribute. Megan relaxed and began enjoying herself.

After dinner, Megan insisted on helping her mother clear the table and put things away while Charles returned to the living room.

Barbara looked at her daughter. "I’m glad you could make it today. We seem to have such a hard time getting together."

Megan had enjoyed the nice quiet dinner so much, and being an eternal optimist, she had to stop a minute, and remember why she avoided visiting her parents. "I know I haven’t been over much, and I miss seeing you both. But Mom, you know why."

"Your father’s only looking out for what he considers your best interests," Barbara said, smiling. "I know you don’t agree on that. But he really just wants the best for you."

"Yeah. I know. But what he thinks is best for me isn’t what I want to do, and I hate to cause hard feelings, so the alternative is to stay away. Looking at her mother and smiling, Megan added, "But I will try to do better."

Barbara smiled back at her daughter. "Good. Besides he’ll eventually come around. Just give him some time."

Megan chuckled ruefully. "Mom, I’m going to be 28 soon. I think if he was going to come around, he’d have done it by now."

Barbara sighed. She knew Megan was probably right. "Well, you never know. It still could happen."

The two women walked into the living room carrying coffee cups. Barbara gave one to Charles, and then sat down on the couch with Megan.

"Have you talked to Taylor lately? She just found out she’s pregnant," Barbara said, looking completely like the happy grandmother she was.

"Oh that’s great! I know they wanted to start a family. When’s she due?" Megan asked grinning.

"March 18th. Ashley, you and I need to get together and plan a shower for her. I thought January might be a good time to do it."

Due to their various schedules, Megan didn't get a chance to see her sisters very often and the idea of helping plan Taylor's shower really appealed to her. With a warm smile lighting up her face, she said, "Ok. That’ll be fun."

Charles took a sip of his coffee and asked, "What about you Megan? Have you been dating anyone?"

How did I know this would come up? Dating anyone…hum…not really, I’m already taken. Leaving her thoughts behind, Megan said, "No, I’m not dating anyone."

Charles looked pointedly at his daughter, and said, "You’re not getting any younger. If you wait too much longer all the suitable young men will be gone."

Barbara looked at her daughter. She was so attractive. She just didn’t understand why the men weren’t flocking after her. The problem was she just spent too much time at work to go out and enjoy herself.

"You know Megan your father has a point. You really should spend more time socially and less at your job. If you don’t go out you can’t meet people."

Megan took a deep breath. She wasn’t in the mood for this conversation right now. There had been too much happening in her life lately, and it wasn’t over. Her partner had put her life on the line last night so that their own lives could return to normal and she just didn’t want to play this particular game with her parents right now. With those thoughts in mind, she decided to put an end to the topic.

Looking her father in the eyes, she said, "I am very happy with my life the way it is. So can we please talk about something else?"

Charles was angered by what he perceived as a disrespectful remark from his daughter.

"You don’t run this house, and it would behoove you to listen to your mother and me on this. I expect you to show a little respect, and when I’m ready to change the subject, I will."

"Charles," Barbara said, hoping to avoid a potential showdown, "If she doesn’t want to talk about this right now…"

Charles was not about to be deterred. "Well when are we going to talk about it? She hardly ever comes over. I think this is as good a time as any."

Megan looked sadly from one parent to the other. This just didn’t make any sense. They were talking about her like she wasn’t even in the room. Standing up, Megan said, "I’m going to go now. Thanks for dinner. It was great…"

Rising to his feet, Charles said, "And just where do you think you’re going? I want to know when you’re going to start acting like a Donnovan? It’s bad enough you have that public servant job, so the least you can do is marry into our class of people."

Charles paused, unsuccessfully trying to calm down. "I know it’s not because there aren’t plenty of eligible young men interested in you. I introduced you to Eric and Jeffrey at the last party we had. They both asked you out, and you turned them down."

The stress of the last week had taken its toll and Megan's eyes began flashing, and her temper flared. Words fell freely from her mouth before she could stop them. "I already met someone. She’s a wonderful woman that I love more than I ever thought was possible."

Megan realized what she’d said when she saw the shocked expressions on her parents’ faces. I wanted to tell them, but not like this, and not today. Resigning herself to the explosion she knew was coming, she met her father’s widened eyes.

"You’re telling me you’re a Lesbian? You like women?" Charles sputtered incredulously.

Looking at Barbara, he said, "What did we do wrong?"

Megan looked at her father, and said, "Dad, it's not about that. It’s about love."

Shifting her gaze back and forth between her parents, Megan continued, hoping she could help them understand her feelings, "I am happier than I’ve ever been. When I met her, I knew there was something special about her. I never felt that way about anyone before."

Barbara didn’t know what to say. Her daughter’s face softened when she talked about her feelings. This was just such a shock.

Charles still couldn't believe his ears. "You’re going to disgrace the entire family. How could you do this to us?"

"No I’m not, Dad. You are respected and liked in the community. That’s not going to change, and besides, how would any of your associates know anyway?" Megan said, reasonably.

Barbara thought about the few conversations she'd had with Megan lately. Some of the things her daughter had said, now made more sense. She just hadn't been paying attention. "It’s that FBI agent, isn’t it?"

Megan looked at her mother, and said, "Yes Mom. She really is great. You’d like her."

Charles' face began to turn red, anger replacing the shock. "You are wrong. I will not allow you to disgrace the family like this. Until you come to your senses, you are not welcome in this house any more."

"Charles," Barbara said, warningly. "Megan, he doesn’t mean that."

Megan felt her stomach tighten, and fought to control her emotions. Looking at her mother, she said, "I hoped you might understand."

Turning to look at her angry father, she said, "I’m sorry you feel that way," and then she turned and walked to the side door, letting herself out.

Barbara tried to follow, but Charles grabbed her arm and stopped her. "I meant what I said."

Barbara glared at her husband. "Charles you’re wrong. She’s our daughter."

Charles met his wife's eyes unflinchingly. "This is my house, and I will not allow her to disgrace it with her deviant behavior."

Megan got into her car very depressed. It shouldn’t have come to this. She knew she should have reined in her temper, but they would have had to know sooner or later anyway. Tony was too important to her. But she’d never expected her father to ban her from the house.

Putting the car into gear and pulling into the street, Megan was unaware of the tears falling down her face until she had to pull over, no longer able to see clearly. A little while later, her tears in check, she pulled back onto the road and began driving across town.

Megan turned the car toward the place she had always found solace, the shores of Lake Erie. It was still light out and the beach was not crowded, but populated enough to be safe. Megan parked the car, and walked along the beach, the ever present shells crunching under her feet. Leaving the beach in favor of one of the docks, she began walking across the warped, uneven boards, passing all the people that were fishing. When she got to the end of the dock, she stood for a moment looking out over the lake, before sitting down on the hard surface near the end.

The tears started again, and she let them flow unchecked. Mostly she felt so incredibly sad. She longed for the comforting feel of Tony’s arm around her. She knew her father could be very intolerant, but she’d just had not expected that reaction. Megan had always justified his actions by convincing herself, that in his own way, he was looking out for her. After today, she could no longer pretend that was true.

Megan stayed until the moon was visible and the other patrons began leaving before she finally got up and walked back to her car. A brief smile appeared when she remembered that Tony was off tomorrow.

Megan thought back to her conversation with Tony that afternoon, before she had followed her over to David's house. Her partner had insisted she go to Ashley's house until she got home from work, and had a chance to check out the apartment. Tony had assured her that she would be home by midnight, but to call first, just to make sure she was there.

Looking at her watch, Megan sighed. It was 10pm. She loved her sister dearly, but she just didn't want to see her tonight. Ashley had known she was having dinner with their parents' and would want to know how it went, and she just didn't want to talk about it. Her emotions were still too raw. The only person she wanted to see was Tony.

Sitting in the car, lightly drumming her fingers on the wheel, she decided to go home. She knew Tony would be mad, but with the new lock and alarm system installed, it should be safe enough. Megan really didn't think Sherman would come to the apartment any way. If he wanted to confront Tony in the apartment, he could already have done so.

***

Sherman was leaning against the vanity waiting for someone to get home. The closet door was already open so he could quickly and quietly move into it. He had known the girlfriend would be at her parents' house, and Tony would be working evenings from information he had gleaned from the tapes. He didn’t even bother checking for a tape today. After last night, it was obvious she knew about the bugs.

His thoughts turned to his target. He acknowledged a grudging respect for her. The sting operation had been cleverly set up and executed. It would have trapped anyone less skilled than he was. He chuckled softly. I never even suspected it was a setup.

The faint noise had attracted the attention of the kittens and they wandered back to the bedroom, looking at the strange man curiously. He had chased them out of the room once and they were leery of him, and poised for flight. Sherman stood up and stomped his foot down hard on the floor, frightening both kittens and grinning coldly when they ran. They come back again and I just might take some target practice.

Shifting the car into gear, Megan pulled out of the parking area and drove the short distance to the apartment. Parking in her usual spot, she took the elevator to the fourth floor. Punching in the numbers to open the electronic lock, she entered the apartment and was greeted by two meowing kittens. Stepping around them, she walked over to the alarm and deactivated it. Stooping down to pet the kittens, she smiled at the loud purrs.

"Did you two miss me? I missed you." Glancing around, Megan asked the kittens, "What did you two get in to while I was gone?"

Huggy and Velcro continued rubbing up against her legs and purring contentedly. Chuckling, Megan said, "Guess I’d better go look around."

Standing up, she walked into the dining room and then to the living room, dodging the kittens who were accompanying her. Everything looked fine. Megan walked down the hall glancing in the bathroom, surprised that the door was open. She thought she’d closed it when she left. One time of cleaning up toilet paper strewn all over the apartment was enough for anyone. At least she’d gotten lucky and they hadn’t attacked the new roll.

As Megan was closing the door, Huggy ran into the bathroom and jumped up on the toilet seat. "Oh no you don’t," Megan said, and lifted the kitten up carrying her out of the bathroom and closing the door.

Setting Huggy down, Megan walked over to the balcony. Opening the sliding glass door, she stepped outside and walked to the railing. The warm breeze felt good, and Megan looked up at the sky. The moon and stars were already visible, but tonight she took little joy in the sight.

Megan just wanted it to be time for Tony to get home. She bent down and absently stroked the soft fur of the two kittens that had joined her on the balcony.

Megan thought back over the events that had transpired at her parents’ house. She had done a lot of soul searching at the beach, and felt she had done the right thing by telling her parents about her and Tony. She did acknowledge she could have handled it better, but the outcome would probably have been the same.

It wouldn’t do any good to dwell on it, but she really hadn’t wanted to estrange her parents either. Why is everything so complicated? Megan knew there was no obvious answer to that question the moment it crossed her mind. She also knew that she was not willing to sacrifice the love she had found by living a lie, just to please her family.

Tony was the most important person in her life. She was her best friend, confidant, lover, and partner. Her life would not be complete without her. The love and happiness she’d found was not something she was willing to let go of, nor did she want to. In time, maybe she could help her parents to understand that.

Suddenly uneasy, Megan turned around and looked back into the apartment. Goose bumps had formed on her arms and the hair on the back of her neck was standing up. She’d felt for a moment like she was being watched. Shaking off the sudden chill, she decided she was probably just overreacting to all the stress of the evening.

Sherman barely ducked his head back into the hallway in time. He’d only been watching her for a minute when she suddenly turned around. He’d have to be more careful. He didn’t want to reveal his presence yet.

Walking back inside, Megan closed and latched the balcony door. Even though she remembered locking the door when she got home, Megan walked over to the door and double-checked the lock. It was bolted. Her overactive imagination was obviously at work here. The door had been locked when she got home and the alarm had been set. No one could have gotten in. But still uneasy, she walked down the hall and looked into both bedrooms, before returning to the one they shared.

Megan sat on the bed. It would be another hour at least before Tony got home. She might as well take a shower while she was waiting for her partner to get off. The warm soothing water would help relax her. Taking her nightshirt off the hook on the door, she walked down the hall to the bathroom quickly entering and closing the door so the kittens couldn’t run in.

Megan took a towel out of the linen cupboard and turned on the shower, adjusting the water. Undressing, she stepped into the shower and let the warm water cascade over her. She felt some of the tension begin to melt away.

Sherman opened the closet door. He was extremely glad they were louvered. It allowed him to see part of the room and enabled him to hear better. He’d always had high energy, and staying out of sight in the closet was very confining.

Grinning, knowing she couldn’t hear him, Sherman stepped into the hallway and looked at the bathroom door.

Megan turned off the shower and pulled the curtain simultaneously letting out a blood-curdling scream when she realized someone was standing there.

Tony jumped, startled when her partner screamed, and quickly moved forward wrapping her arms around her.

"What’s wrong? It’s only me. I knocked on the door first so you would hear me." Tony said, trying to comfort her shaken partner.

She'd been surprised to see Megan's car in the garage and figured something must be wrong since she had come home instead of going to Ashley's house like they'd agreed on.

Megan felt her thundering heart begin to slow. "Sorry. I’ve been a little jumpy tonight. I didn’t hear you knock and you’re really early," Megan said, clinging tightly to her partner, so relieved that her words came in a rush.

Tony continued to hold her partner, waiting for her breathing to return to normal. Megan, much calmer, looked up into the concerned blue eyes gazing at her. Smiling ruefully, and releasing her partner, she said, "Oh look. I’ve gotten you all wet."

Tony picked up the towel and handed it to Megan. "Here you go. I’ll go make us something to drink. Want some tea?"

Megan took the towel, still relieved to see her, and smiled.. "That would be great."

But Tony’s keen hearing had picked up a background noise when Megan screamed. That, combined with the fact that her partner was jumpy put Tony in a very dangerous mode. She knew the kittens could have made the noise she heard, but she wasn’t taking any chances.

Putting her finger up to her lips signaling for quiet, she waited for Megan to towel off and put her sleeping shirt on. Tony pointed toward the kitchen and waited until her partner walked down the hall and disappeared into the doorway.

Tony had set her gun down on the toilet tank when she entered the bathroom. For some reason she had wanted to keep it near. The thought crossed her mind that it was a good thing she had. Picking up the gun and flipping the safety off, she began walking very slowly and quietly down the hall, hairpin reflexes ready to react at the slightest provocation.

Sherman cursed silently. He had been surprised to hear the apartment door open knowing Tony wasn’t due home yet, and had moved back into the bedroom. Just when he was backing into the closet, a piercing scream had penetrated the air. Startled, he bumped his head on the doorframe.

He stood in the closet with his gun in his hand, listening for any sound that might indicate he’d been heard. Sherman still preferred the element of surprise, and would rather wait until Tony had settled in. The chances of her having her gun near then would be slim. He had already looked around the apartment and hadn’t seen any weapons. This led him to believe that she probably only had the weapons she carried on her person.

Megan walked into the kitchen, her heart pounding painfully. Tony thought he was in the apartment. The idea that someone could be in the apartment…or was in the apartment gave her the creeps. The thought that maybe someone had been watching her, caused a chill to course through her.

Her sudden chill turned to fear for her partner. Please be careful. The metamorphosis her partner had gone through was still imprinted on her mind, and she still found it amazing that the aura surrounding her partner changed instantaneously the moment she sensed danger. But that didn't diminish the fear she felt for her. If this guy was in the apartment, he had the advantage. Tony would have no idea where he was and what if she didn't see him until it was too late?

Standing just inside the kitchen, Megan strained her ears listening for anything that would let her know what was happening. She didn't want to get in Tony's way, but she had to see what was going on. She would be ready if Tony needed her help. Poking her head around the doorway, she took a quick look down the hallway.

Tony kept her back at the wall walking sideways to present the smallest possible target. She knew he was in the apartment. Her body was screaming warnings. Once she had gotten over the shock of Megan screaming and the odd sound had registered in her mind, her body had reacted instinctively and all her fine tuned senses kicked into gear.

Arriving at the bedroom doorway, she took a quick look inside before pulling her head back, not wanting to give her assailant a target. Quickly kneeling, her weight supported on one knee, she trained her eyes on the space under the bed.

Thankful for the light cast by the lamp, she could make out no unnatural shadows. Standing, she took a step through the doorway her back against the open door.

Velcro was following her favorite mom. This was a new game. Her mom was acting very funny. Slinking down the hall she stopped near Tony’s feet, and crouched down, her tail twitching.

Quickly boring of the game, Velcro ran down the hallway and into the other bedroom. Braver now that her mom was home, she walked over to the closet door and batted it with her paw.

Sherman silently cursed again. That damn kitten was back again. His view was limited through the louvers and he couldn’t see the entire room but he could see the kitten sitting in front of the door trying to get her paw through one of the louvers.

It was extremely quiet in the apartment, but that didn’t mean anything. Both women could be in the front part of the apartment.

Periodically peering around the doorway and watching Tony's progress down the hall, Megan suddenly realized she had left her ‘watch’ in the bathroom. Knowing instinctively that they might need it if that guy really was in the apartment, she looked down the hallway to see where Tony was. .Megan saw her partner look into their bedroom. Taking a deep breath, and moving very quietly, she started down the hallway to the bathroom.

Tony caught movement in her peripheral vision and saw Megan walking down the hall toward the bathroom. Her heart began beating faster and she thought, No, No. What are you doing? Get back in the kitchen. It's not safe. Waving her back, she saw Megan hold up a finger in a ‘just a minute’ signal. Go back, Tony pleaded silently. Keeping her eyes peeled for any movement from the bedroom, Tony stayed where she, was and breathed a silent sigh of relief, when she saw Megan hold up the watch and retreat back to the kitchen.

Now that her partner was out of immediate danger, Tony quirked a small grin. That was a good idea. It wouldn’t hurt to have help if they needed it. The thought surprised her. Nice to know her world had grown to include people she could count on.

Stealthily walking further into the bedroom, she looked at the closet. It was the most logical place of concealment. Tony moved next to the closet door and pressed her body against the wall.

In a sudden quick movement, she flung the door open before plastering herself back against the wall, her gun trained on the entrance. There was no movement, and she instinctively knew no one was hiding in there.

Moving away from the wall to the front of the closet, her body was poised to jump out of the way at any indication of danger. She looked in the closet. It was empty.

Sherman began slowly turning the doorknob. The kitten quit trying to put a paw through the louvers, and looked up at the moving handle. When the door began to slowly open, the kitten bolted out the room and into the hallway running past Tony and into the kitchen.

Tony noticed the kitten’s flight, and stopped outside the other bedroom door. Totally focused she listened for any sound coming from the room.

Megan paced back and forth in the kitchen. It seemed like Tony had been back there forever when, in fact, it had only been a couple of minutes. She almost jumped when Velcro came sliding across the floor, coming to a stop near Huggy.

Walking to the doorway she looked down the hall and saw Tony standing outside the second bedroom door before quickly pulling her head back into the kitchen. Maybe this was just a false alarm. Obviously there had been no one in the first bedroom. Yeah, right.

Sherman was pressed against the wall in the bedroom next to the door. Hearing nothing, he eased around the door only to bump into an equally startled tall, dark woman.

Tony reacted a millisecond faster and grabbed the arm holding the gun pointed at her, shoving it up and simultaneously pressing hard on a nerve in the wrist. Sherman had started to squeeze the trigger and the gun went off, the bullet imbedding in the wall.

Megan’s heart almost stopped when she heard the gunfire. Immediately activating the button on the watch, she ran to the apartment door unlocking it. Running back into the kitchen, she looked down the hallway, quickly pulling her head back when she saw that Tony seemed to be unharmed.

Sherman was unable to stop his hand from opening and the gun fell to the floor. Brutally driving his other elbow into Tony, he threw his weight against her propelling them across the hall, their momentum stopped when their bodies impacted against the opposite wall.

Having a slight advantage now, Sherman grabbed Tony’s arm and slammed it against the wall, causing the gun to fall from her hand.

Tony had finally got her breath back from the blow to her solar plexus, and she pushed away from the wall attempting to free herself, while simultaneously drawing her knee up in an attempt to incapacitate Sherman with a groin hit.

Expecting the move, Sherman jumped back out of the way and while Tony was off balance, he once against threw his weight against her driving her into the wall, raising his hands to her neck and choking her.

His grip was like iron and Tony resisted the urge to grab his wrists and attempt to dislodge his hands. Already feeling the lack of oxygen, she raised her arms and forcefully smacked her open hands against his ears with strength fortified by adrenaline. The blow caused a slight loosening of the choke hold and sucking in some much needed air, she brought her arms up between his and in an outward sweeping motion, she broke his hold on her neck. At the moment his hands loosened, Tony drove her head into his face, her forehead impacting with his nose, followed by a crushing blow to his chin with her elbow.

Sherman jumped back, tears blinding him. In excruciating pain, his hands involuntarily covering his bloody nose, he backed away from her trying to stay out of her reach in the narrow confines of the hallway. Lowering a hand to his pocket, he extracted a switchblade and pressed the button snapping the blade into place. Extending his arm in a slashing motion with the knife, he began to move toward her, his vision slowly improving.

Quickly back peddling, Tony began circling him, staying clear of the reach of the knife, looking for an opportunity for to disarm him and deliver a crippling blow. But Sherman was protecting himself by countering her attempts to get closer by leading with the knife. Turning sideways to present a smaller target, he circled warily, the dance of the two adversaries well underway.

Megan continued to observe the battle knowing it was best if she stayed out of the way. She had already started down the hallway once, before Tony broke the choke hold around her neck. She had watched Tony in action before, and had full confidence in her ability to protect herself. But this guy was heavier than she was, and it was obvious he was also very highly trained.

When Sherman pulled the knife Megan’s temper flared. She’d be damned if he was going to harm her lover if she could do anything about it. Tony didn’t have anything to protect herself with. Looking around the kitchen for a weapon, her eyes settled on the heavy round, paperweight sitting on the table. It was about the size of a baseball except it was flat on the bottom. A pretty yellow flower was suspended in the middle of it.

Grabbing the paperweight off the table, she waited until Sherman’s back was toward her, and then stepped into the mouth of the hallway. Waiting until Tony noticed her, she hefted the paperweight in her hand, and drew her arm back sending it forcefully through the air, satisfied when it landed solidly in the middle of Sherman’s back.

Megan knew it wouldn’t really hurt him, but her intent was to distract him so that Tony could disarm him.

Sherman was unable to check the automatic impulse to turn his head at the sharp pain that shot through his back when the paperweight hit him.

Tony immediately threw her leg up into a front kick, connecting solidly with his wrist. Sherman grunted in pain, both of them hearing the snap of a bone as the knife fell to the floor.

Holding his injured wrist against his chest, Sherman threw a brutal sidekick toward Tony. She danced out of the way and let go of a roundhouse that snapped his head back and stunned him. Immediately following up with a solid kick to the groin, Sherman dropped to the ground.

Tony reached down and picked up her gun, training it on the other agent. Her thoughts were dark, the image of a terror stricken boy laying in the middle of a busy street flickering in slow motion through her mind. Her finger tightened against the trigger.

Suddenly she felt a warm hand on her arm, and a concerned voice asked, "Tony…are you ok?"

Taking a deep breath, Tony said, "Yeah, I'm fine."

Just then the front door banged open and two uniformed cops entered the apartment with their guns drawn.

Megan called out, "Down there," and the two officers quickly walked down the hallway, taking in the scene.

Not knowing either patrolman, Tony said, "FBI. Would you cuff this guy to something?"

One of the officers grabbed Sherman hauling him to his feet and took him into the living room fastening the cuff to Sherman’s uninjured wrist and fastening the other end around the metal frame of the heavy computer table. Putting his gun away, he pulled out his radio and called for an ambulance.

The other officer asked Tony to surrender her gun. Knowing this was just routine procedure, she handed it to him.

Taking her weapon, the patrolman put his gun in his holster and began questioning Tony and Megan.

Brian arrived and walked into the apartment. Taking over the questioning, he quickly had a summary of the events.

When Tony got to the end of her statement she mentioned her gun had been confiscated,

"You never fired your gun, right?" Brian asked.

"No. Never had a chance to," Tony said, her face grim.

Brian had no doubt she would have liked to, though. Turning to the officer that had her weapon, he said, "Give her back her gun. She’s an FBI agent and they have jurisdiction on this case."

Tony picked up the phone, and called the number she had been given to reach Huey after hours. When he answered, she said, "We got him."

"You ok?"

"I’m fine. But Sherman managed to break his wrist in the scuffle," she paused, and then added, "and probably his nose too."

"With some help from you, I’m sure," Huey quipped back.

"A little," Tony said, smiling. "The local cops are going to take him to the hospital and then hold him until you can get someone here to pick him up."

"I’ll have someone there tomorrow morning."

When the apartment finally cleared out, Tony walked over and hugged Megan. Returning the hug, Megan asked, "I’m so glad you’re ok. How did you get home so early?"

"Braxton finally gave the word to move in. All the principal players were gathered at the site and when we let him know that, he realized it was too good of an opportunity to pass up."

"It’s finally really over."

"Um hum. You know you got a real mean fastball, Love. That was a good idea. Thanks," Tony said, smiling at her lover.

"I had to do something…when he pulled that knife…" Megan trailed off remembering the anger and fear she had felt.

Tony bent her head placing a soft kiss on Megan’s lips. "And you did."

Cocking her head to the side and raising an eyebrow, Tony said, "I'd like to ask you something." Gazing into Megan eyes, she said, "When I saw your car in the garage, I knew you were home. Why?"

Megan took in the serious expression on Tony's face, and looked away. She figured Tony would be upset about her coming home and considering what had happened, she was surprised she wasn't angrier. "I didn't want to go to Ashley's. I figured you be home soon and we had just put on the new lock, so I thought it would be ok."

Damn. I should have warned her about the lock. "Megan," Tony waited until her lover looked at her. Looking at the expression on her partner's face, she asked, "What's wrong? Why didn't you want to go to Ashley's? Did something happen at your parents'?"

Megan sighed, and answered the last question. "Yeah, it did." Releasing Tony, she said, "Want something to drink?" and then she turned around and walked toward the kitchen.

Tony watched her partner walk away and then followed her. It was obvious Megan was upset.

Megan put water in the tea kettle, and asked, "Is tea ok?"

"Sounds great," Tony said, watching her partner closely, trying to read the expression on her face. The closest read Tony could come up with was sadness.

Walking over to her partner, and looking into the troubled hazel eyes, Tony asked, "Want to talk about it?"

Megan peered into the warm blue eyes and felt the love and concern they reflected. Giving Tony a quick hug before releasing her, she said, "Yeah. I do."

The teakettle began whistling and Megan quickly made two cups of tea handing one to Tony. "Let’s talk in the living room."

Settling on the couch, Megan snuggled close to Tony. She wanted and needed the contact. Tony put her arm around her partner, and waited for her to begin.

By the time Megan had finished relating the events of the evening, her eyes were moist again, but no tears fell. She had already been through the gamut emotionally between her parents and fear for Tony’s life when she was fighting the other agent. There just weren’t any more left.

Tony had listened quietly while Megan talked. Not knowing how to make her lover feel better, she said, "I’m sorry. But Megan it sounds more to me like your Dad had the biggest problem with it, not your Mom."

"Yeah, I know. But ever since we were little, she always supported his decisions. She never stuck up for us." Megan paused, gathering her thoughts and then continued, "But you know what? I’m glad I told them. I love you, and if they can’t accept that, then maybe it’s better this way."

The depth of feeling she felt for the smaller woman snuggled against her, suddenly impacted on Tony. Capturing her partner’s eyes with her own, she said, "Do you have any idea how much I love you?"

A warm smile covered Megan’s face, and she said, "Yes I do. Because I love you just as much."

****

Megan walked into the kitchen trailed closely by two meowing kittens. Opening the canister containing the Gevelia Colombian blend, she carefully measured 3 ½ level scoops into the filtered basket and filled the pot to the 5-cup level.

After turning it on, she took a can of cat food out of the cupboard and emptied it into the kittens’ dish. "You know you two could eat a little dry food once in a while."

Unlocking the apartment door, she retrieved the paper before locking the door and returning to the kitchen. Sitting at the kitchen table, Megan opened the paper and began to peruse the news.

She wasn’t surprised she had awakened before Tony. She had entertained the idea of just staying in bed waiting for her lover to wake up, but she’d had to go to the bathroom and figured she might as well stay up rather than take a chance and wake Tony. She’d only had a few hours of sleep on Saturday, and with everything that had happened Friday night and then last night, she had to be exhausted.

Tony woke up to the smell of coffee wafting into the bedroom. She loved the smell of brewing coffee, but she was surprised she had not heard her partner get up.

Walking into the kitchen after a stop at the bathroom, she smiled and said, "Morning Love."

Megan looked up when Tony walked into the room. Her eyes twinkling, she said, "Hi sleepy head."

Tony grinned, "Sleepy head, huh. Look who’s talking."

She walked over to Megan and bent down and kissed her. Getting a cup of coffee, she sat down at the table.

"Anything interesting in the paper?"

"Not really," Megan said handing Tony the part she had already looked at.

Standing up, she walked over to the refrigerator and opened the door looking for the can of orange juice she had taken out to thaw yesterday. Where had she put it anyway?

Tony took in the sight of her partner bending over looking for something in the refrigerator. She had an unobstructed view of her lovely muscular legs. Not interested in the newspaper anymore, she got up and walked over to the refrigerator and leaned over Megan asking, "What’re you looking for?"

Megan had sensed Tony behind her and wondered why her partner was so interested in what she was looking for. "I thought I took out some orange juice yesterday and I can’t find it."

Tony placed her arms around Megan’s waist pulling her against her body. Moving her mouth next to her partner’s ear, she breathed, "You have gorgeous legs." Stepping backward, still holding Megan around the waist, she began placing warm moist kisses on the side of her neck. Feeling the chair behind her, she sat down pulling Megan onto her lap.

Goose bumps ran up and down Megan’s body at the feel of the soft moist lips against her neck. When Tony sat down, she turned sideways on her lap and raised both of her arms placing her hands in her partner’s thick soft hair, pulling her head down meeting her slightly parted lips with her own. Thrusting her tongue deeply into Tony’s mouth, she felt her desire escalating with the answering plunge of her partner’s.

The passionate kiss was sending shivers up and down Tony’s body. Keeping her mouth locked on her lover’s, she lifted the edge of Megan’s sleeping shirt and moved her hand under it finding the breast she was seeking. Kneading it softly she felt her partner’s intake of breath and thrust her tongue deeply into her mouth her fingers lightly caressing a nipple.

Megan moaned and placed a hand on Tony’s chest and pushed back, breaking the sensuous kiss. "Tony…wait."

Tony stilled her hands, and looked into her lover’s passion filled eyes. Her voice throaty with desire, she said, "I want to make love to you, Megan."

Megan’s heart was already racing and the sound of the low sensuous voice sent another shiver down her body. "I want to make love to you, too," Megan said. Standing up on shaky knees, she extended her hand to her partner, "Come on."

Tony took hold of Megan’s hand and followed her into their bedroom. Tony pulled her sleeping shirt over her head and tossed it out of the way, watching Megan do the same with hers.

Tony felt a jolt to her core when she raked her eyes down the length of Megan’s body, from the full firm breasts, to the small waist and muscular abdomen, to the curly golden hair and the shapely muscular legs.

Megan felt every nerve in her body reacting to the way Tony was looking at her. Unable to hold back any longer, she stepped toward Tony and wrapped her arms around her.

Tony placed her hands on Megan’s buttocks and pulled her closer running her hands over the round firm skin. Megan moved her mouth to a dark nipple and sucked on it gently. Hearing her partner groan, she moved her other hand up and began kneading the other breast while she caressed the nipple that her mouth had captured lightly with her teeth.

Tony didn’t know how much longer she could stand there under the sensuous onslaught of her partner. Guiding them toward the bed, she laid down pulling Megan down with her.

Maneuvering herself over her lover, Tony lowered herself until she was supported with her elbows on either side of Megan. The swirling gold specks in the emerald green eyes that were darkened by desire captivated her. Lowering her lips to her partner’s, she kissed her deeply before moving her mouth to her neck, placing warm moist kisses along it until she found the pulse point where she stopped and sucked lightly.

Megan didn’t know how much longer she could hold out. The nerve endings in her body were all reacting nonstop, sending pleasurable sensations up and down her body. "I can’t wait. Take me Tony."

The words were an aphrodisiac to Tony and she parted Megan’s legs and moved her body down between them. Feeling the wet curls against her stomach escalated her own desire even higher. Kissing her way down to the full firm breasts, she took one in each hand kneading them gently before squeezing the nipples between her thumb and finger while continuing to kiss the silky soft skin between them.

Megan had already begun rhythmically thrusting her hips against her lover, her body demanding release. Tony continued to knead her breasts while she kissed her way down to the top of the golden curly hair.

Megan hands were on Tony’s head. "Oh God. Now, please." Tony’s body was reacting to her lover’s desire and her center was aching. Moving her hands from Megan’s breasts she placed them under her partner’s legs lifting them to her shoulders.

Tony’s heart began racing even faster at the sight in front of her. Lowering her head she began tasting the sweet musky fluid of her lover. Megan had both hands on her head urging her on. Tony flicked her tongue lightly over Megan’s center before returning to it and sucking gently.

Megan screamed her release, her legs locked around Tony’s head, as first one then another powerful orgasm ripped through her body. Holding Megan tightly until the last shudder passed through her body, she moved up next to her lover wrapping her in her arms.

"You are so good," Megan said when she found her voice.

"Only because I have a great partner," Tony said smiling at the woman she loved.

Megan raised a hand to Tony’s face and caressed the soft skin with her fingers. "I love you."

"I love you too, Love."

Megan began running her fingers lightly across the silky skin of Tony’s abdomen before moving her hand upward and tracing invisible designs on the perfectly formed full breasts.

Tony felt her heart start racing again and the throbbing between her legs increased in intensity. Megan smiled at her partner, her hands never stopping. Leaning over, she ran her tongue around one of the nipples before capturing it with her mouth and the lovers continued to explore the physical side of their love long into the night.

***

A week had passed since Tony’s assailant had been captured and their lives had finally returned to normal. Tony and Megan were watching the news after work.

When it was over, Tony said, "Huey called today."

"Oh really? Are you going to have to testify?"

"He doesn’t think so. They have so much evidence against what he is calling a vigilante group that he said I will only have to give a deposition, which I can do here."

"That’s good. I’m just glad it’s over," Megan said smiling at her partner.

The phone rang and Megan picked it up.

"Hello."

"Hi Megan," Barbara said, "it’s Mom," she added unnecessarily.

Megan raised her eyebrows surprised. "Hi Mom," she said, not knowing what to expect.

It sounded so good to hear her daughter’s voice. Even though it had only been a week since she had seen her, it felt so much longer. Barbara did not agree with Charles, and had decided regardless of how he felt, she was not going to ignore her daughter. She had always supported him, even when she didn’t agree with his decisions. This was one time she couldn’t do that.

And she had to admit she was a little curious. Well ok, very curious about the FBI agent that had apparently stolen her daughter’s heart. What was so special about her that she would risk her father’s wrath? Surely she’d known what his reaction would be.

"Mom…you still there?"

"Yes dear, I’m here. I was wondering when we could go to dinner?" Barbara paused, and then added, "I mean all three of us. You and me and your friend. I’d like to meet her if she wants to come."

The small smile on Megan’s face grew in intensity, and she said, "Just a minute. Let me ask her."

Holding her hand over the mouthpiece, she said, "My mother wants to meet you and thought it would be nice if we could all go to dinner together."

Tony smiled warmly at her partner, and said, "Sure. Whenever you want, Love."

 

THE END


Return to The Bard's Corner