The Deal

By M. Ryan

 

For disclaimers see Part 1

Comments are welcome! mryan12@hotmail.com

 

Part 4


Full Disclosure

The month of April flew by in a blur of planning and preparation for the most brutal of television rating periods, the May Sweeps. Fourth quarter budgets are hung on the numbers earned during season finales and wild stunts, and in the local news business, the participants pray for anything newsworthy. From bad weather to war, nothing brings viewers to the tube like human calamity.

Or new talent.

Laura Kasdan stood with her arms crossed staring at the news set and the attractive blonde woman sitting in the left anchor chair. The set had gotten a bit of a face-lift over the weekend, with new paint and trim. Now it was time to tweak the lights, and make sure that the new Six O'clock anchor looked as good on the new evening set as she had on the noon set. Background changes made subtle differences in skin tones and highlights; the trick was to fix it without changing the light on any of the other anchors.

"How's the back light, Kaz?" Lisa called down from a ladder that held her up to the grid while she narrowed the barn doors on the light in question.

"That's better." Laura squinted at the studio monitor, "It just barely hits her shoulders."

Lisa climbed down the ladder to get a closer look. "It's still a little hot...we can probably take care of that with some diffusion." The Production Manager looked over at Chris thoughtfully, "Chris are you still good with the teleprompter?"

"It's not too bad," the reporter- turned-anchor answered.

"Are you comfortable?" Laura's deeper tone asked, "Because I think we're almost through here."

Chris blew out a relieved breath. They'd been at it for about an hour, and the lights had begun to get unbearably hot. Chris was a patient woman, but this session was stretching it.

It seemed like it was only a few days ago that Laura announced to the newsroom the anchor changes for the Six, but a whole month had gone by and Chris had been challenged professionally like never before. She was responsible for four special reports to air during sweeps, and time for anything else had been as scarce as hen's teeth.

Chris didn't know how Laura had done it, but the newsroom was running like a well-oiled machine, and everyone from the photographers to the tape editors knew that this sweeps period was going to be different from any other they had experienced. Everything was mapped out in advance, everyone had his or her assignments, and all was going according to plan.

At least we all hope it is. She was nervously aware that Laura Kasdan had staked her reputation on this Neilson Book, and for better or worse, Chris' future was tied to the enigmatic News Director's as well.

"All right," Laura nodded, "This is what we'll go with tonight. You happy?" she asked Lisa, who was unfolding a sheet of what looked like gauzy material.

"Hmm? Yeah, this should do the trick...We're good to go Kaz, Chris, hold on for just a sec." The production manager climbed the ladder and quickly clipped the diffusion filter to the light. "How's that?"

Laura couldn't really tell any difference in the monitor, but guessed that Lisa knew what she was doing. "I thought it looked good before."

"It did." Lisa came down from the ladder; "It looks better now."

"I'm not an it." Chris crossed her arms and lifted an eyebrow. "Done yet?"

"You look good. Done." Laura pulled a narrow pad out of a pocket and consulted her list. "That's it then. Thanks Lisa." Walking to the double doors, she flipped the pad closed and left the studio.

Chris stretched as she stood up, "So that's how she does it...all those lists. I've never met anyone so organized."

The lights went off as Lisa pulled the faders down. "She's been that way as long as I've known her...just a meticulous planner I guess." She turned to face the reporter, "So...are you ready?"

"Um, yeah." Chris gave a half smile, "It's finally here...the big show."

"Well I don't know about that, but it's bigger than Noon."

"Lisa, do you have a minute?" Green eyes were clouded as they looked at the Production Manager.

"I always have time for you, Chris. C'mon we'll go upstairs."

Lisa's office was on the other side of production control. It wasn't exactly messy, but it looked as though it had been worked in. The most appealing thing about it was the large window, looking out the front of the building, an oddity in a TV station, where except in the lobby, windows served no purpose.

"I love this office," Chris said, turning to look at the tapes stored neatly on the shelves, "It's the best one in the building."

"I like it." Lisa agreed with her. "What's up? Close the door." She slid behind her desk, noting that she had e-mail...there was always e-mail.

Chris shut the door, but remained standing. "This is awkward, but I really don't know who else to talk to." She brushed nervously at the sleeve of her blazer, trying to decide how to begin. "A few weeks ago I ran into Laura...she was out on a date with that guy she plays golf with, Peter Davis."

"Kaz was out on a date?" Surprise colored Lisa's tone.

"Yeah, anyway...he called me last night...he wants to go out with me." Chris never thought of herself as a nervous person, but she didn't quite know what to do with her hands. She finally stuck them in her pockets.

"And this disturbs you...how? Did you want permission to go out with her golf pro?"

Chris rolled her eyes "He's not my type, but if Laura's interested in him, shouldn't she know he asked me out?"

"What a jackass...Not you, Peter."

"Yeah." Chris started pacing.

"Kaz doesn't date."

"What do you mean doesn't date?"

Lisa blew out a frustrated breath, "She doesn't date. Not anyone I can remember. Not in school, not in Austin...ever. She never mooned about going out, never had a steady, none of that."

"What about Lance?" Chris was trying not to pry, and losing the battle.

"Lance! Hell no, she didn't date Lance...He tried to cop a feel in one of the editing bays and she kicked him so hard I think his gonads relocated to the back of his throat." Lisa paused for a minute, "Why would you think she and Lance..."

"Ah, something he said." Chris evaded. What Lisa was saying certainly explained a lot, but it also raised more questions.

"He backed off and Kaz went to Dallas...Kaz out on a date?"

"You sound like it's the first sign of Armageddon."

Lisa gave a brief laugh, "It might be."

Chris' mind was racing, This is weird...what do I do now? "Would you say that I'm pretty discreet...as far as my love life is concerned?"

Lisa spotted the trap, and set her own. "Are you asking me if anyone else knows you're gay?"

"How did you know?"

"I didn't."

Chris sat down abruptly, tilted her head and looked at the other woman. "Very neatly done."

A wry smile, "You reporters think you know all the tricks. Truth is, I've known for a while, I just needed confirmation. I guess that answers your question, though. Yes, you are discreet."

"Does Kaz know?" As if calling the woman by her impersonal nickname would make it easier.

Lisa noticed and frowned, "Are you asking in the interest of career preservation, or for personal reasons?"

Chris made a decision and laid her cards on the table. "Both." At this point it was a little late to wonder if she could trust the Production Manager.

"Shit, Chris." Lisa threw a pen down on the desk. "I don't know. Probably not or they wouldn't have signed you to that multi year deal. We're in the middle of the Bible Belt, you can't just come out...It'd be like committing career hari kari."

"You're just saying that to make me feel better."

"No, I'm saying it to make me feel better...I may not be your supervisor, but as an officer of the company, I'm bound to inform my boss of anything that could prove damaging to the station. All that stuff about hiring without regard to sexual orientation, in a very real sense does not apply to on-air talent."

"Relax, nothing's going to change. I just wanted to know if I should tell Laura about Peter..."

"Yes. If she's interested, she deserves to know. God, Chris, she doesn't do anything social. If she feels something for this guy... "

"I'll tell her." Chris rose and opened the door. "Great." This was starting to look like another Christine Hanson four star disaster. Couldn't you just get the normal garden-variety crushes like everyone else?

Lisa stopped her. "Chris, Kaz is... my friend. Understand that. She is also cold, remote, and driven to torment herself. Professionally speaking, there is no one else I'd rather have running a newsroom, but she hurts people as easily as you charm them. Why on earth would you be attracted to that?"

Why indeed?
"It's the weirdest thing...I've never been so aware of anyone in my life." When I see her it's as if all the pieces of my soul fall into place. Does she even see me? Chris gave a half shrug, "Don't worry, no one's gonna get hurt."

Lisa didn't believe that for a minute. Trey owes me ten bucks.

**************
Laura took the black metal stairs up to the newsroom two at a time. Just because everything seemed to be taken care of, and all the pieces were falling into place, that wasn't a reason to slow down. Sweeps didn't actually start until Wednesday, but momentum was building, and she wanted all of it to be carried into the book. Details made the difference, and she hoped that that one message stuck in the heads of her staff, even if nothing else did.

She pulled open the glass door and strode through the newsroom. My newsroom now. In a lot of ways this was better than Dallas...One advantage was never having been the number two guy. Here, she came in with authority and no one questioned it...In Dallas, too many people thought of her as a whiz kid that was promoted faster than she should have been.

Entering her office, she slid behind her desk and clicked open the rundowns for the Five and Six O'clock 'casts on the AP Server. Kate already had the Six filled in, and Laura dashed off an Express Message about one change, drinking from the ever-present can of carbonated beverage that was supposed to wean her off caffeine. Today it was 7UP, and she grimaced at the overly sweet taste.

Laura growled impatiently at the Five O'clock rundown. There were still holes and the producer was having trouble with the flow. Gotta talk to Rob. He's still not getting it. Oprah's our lead in and this isn't a very woman-friendly show. She thought for a minute about switching the producers, then dismissed the idea, figuring that she'd rather have her ace producing the Six.

A knock on her open door interrupted her train of thought, and she looked up at someone carrying a large cardboard box. With a thump, it hit the ground revealing Elly Michaels' grinning face.

"You've got mail."

Laura still had no idea how to take the woman who was in charge of on-air promotions and station marketing. She was amazed at some of the topical spots that this unassuming woman produced, and wondered what in the world she was doing in this market. Face it, the whole station is full of people who could be working in much larger markets...What is it about this place?
"What's in it?" She asked.

"It's all those shirts you asked me to order...There are some hats and jackets for the photogs too, call 'em a bonus. Just in time for sweeps."

The News Director fished her keys out of a pocket and used one to slit the box open, pulling out one of the polo shirts and examining the logo embroidered on it. "Looks good."

Elly held out a VHS tape, and Laura took it with eyebrows raised. "More spots," Elly said, "Take a look and tell me if anything bugs you."

"The others were great. Especially the new Six O'clock anchor stuff."

"I live to serve. Oh, I almost forgot." She reached around the doorway and pulled in a long narrow box. "This was in the mailroom so I brought it along."

"Thanks." Laura took it, noting the Austin return address. Elly left as quickly as she came and Laura swallowed as she again used her keys to slit the tape. When the box fell open, she couldn't help but smile. Louis.

The box held a new club and a bundle of golf club grips, bound by a rubber band. The seven wood you promised me, she thought as she took off the plastic bag protecting the club head. And a not so subtle reminder that it was time to re-grip. Experimentally she waggled the club a few times, enjoying the weight and feel. Pleased, she set it carefully against the desk and looked through the packing in the box for some note from the sender. She found it at the bottom and smoothed it out.

Kaz,

This should give you an alternative from about 175-185 yards. Let me know
if I need to shorten the shaft. It should be a high shot with very little roll.

Charles and I will see you on the 18th. Right now the greens at Circle are very slow and sticky, though I expect that will change for the qualifier.

Re-grip now, so that you're used to them.

Louis

Laura sighed. She didn't want Louis to get his expectations too high, only to be disappointed. She'd hurt him the most when she walked away after the '96 Amateur, certain that she'd never play golf again. Her mother was dead and her father was dead, and golf was the next victim.

It didn't hurt her career though. Sixteen-hour days built up the reputation quite nicely, thank you, and when KDAL needed a News Director, she was the cheap and easy answer. William-Simon Communications got a lot for their money, a workaholic with no life or family to speak of outside the station, it was the perfect set up.

Except for that little charity golf tournament.

Brian, the GM, had committed to it, but something had come up and he couldn't make it. So he sent his News Director. Laura told him that she didn't play golf anymore. He told her he didn't want to hear excuses, and to get out there.

So she did, and smoked the field. More than that, she enjoyed it.

The plan was born on that spring afternoon. Five more years and she would be vested in William-Simon, five more years and she could escape with a cool half million in her pocket, and try her hand at the LPGA tour. It was the perfect solution...She could keep her word to her father, ten years in the news business...and try to play professional golf.

It gave her a new purpose. She bought the house to be close to the club, and painstakingly rebuilt her game, digging for the skills that were buried, but not lost. It was all coming together and for the first time since her mother died there was a little light in Laura Kasdan's life.

She shook herself out of a daze of remembering. Nothing has changed, she told herself, except that now it's only three years left to go...You can put up with almost anything for half a million dollars, can't you? Checking her watch, she noted it was almost news time. Grabbing her notebook, she headed to the control room for the Five O'clock newscast. Time to play a little 'Spook the Producer.'

**********
At fifteen minutes to six, Chris was throwing up in the ladies' room. After only briefly wondering if it was something she ate, she decided that it had to be nerves. Once Chris gave it a name, she could corral it, and control it. Leaning against the cool tile wall, she made up her mind not to be affected by the prospect of humiliating herself in front of a million viewers, and miraculously her stomach halted its heaving.

Chris pushed open the stall, and ran water in the sink to rinse out her mouth. Checking the mirror, she was relieved to see that her makeup was holding firm. Hell, you need a quart of cold cream to get the crap off. She pulled a paper towel out of the dispenser to dry her hands, then tossed it into the trash, still checking the mirror. When she heard the door open, Chris didn't have to turn to see who it was, she could tell by the way her spine tingled.

"Are you okay?" It had never occurred to Laura that Chris might be nervous about her debut, but here she was, hiding out in the restroom.

"I'm fine...just peachy." Came the bright reply. Chris put on the IFB earpiece and started fumbling with the clip.

"Here, let me." Laura plucked it out of the anchor's hand and fastened it to her collar, flipping the plug out so it wouldn't tangle.

"Thanks. Guess it's time." The two of them left the restroom, Chris absently tapping the scripts against her leg as she walked. She glanced at Laura and decided that the taller woman didn't just walk, she prowled.

When they reached the base of the stairs, Laura turned to the smaller woman and gave her an encouraging smile. "I have all the faith in the world in you. Good luck." She surprised herself by giving Chris a quick squeeze on the shoulder before climbing the stairs two at a time.

"Laura?"

"Hmm?" She looked down into green eyes looking up.

"It's gonna be a good 'cast."

"I know." White teeth flashed and the News Director was gone. Chris took a deep breath and pushed through the double doors and into her new role at WBFC.

*************
It was a good show, and to celebrate, Laura passed out the new polo shirts to the staff. It was a good way to make everyone feel like a part of a successful effort. After stashing the remaining shirts in the storage closet for the morning crew, Laura tossed the keys to Keith and went back to her office to gather her things. There was still time to hit the practice range and she was eager to try out the seven wood. No paperwork tonight, she promised herself, Just a bucket of balls and maybe a burger later.

She glanced up at the tap on her door, not surprised to see Chris standing there. "C'mon in." Closing the flap on her briefcase she switched off the computer monitor and smiled inquiringly at the blond anchor.

"Thanks for...you know, before the show."

"No sweat. Told you you'd be good." Laura knew she was grinning stupidly, but she just couldn't help it. Everything worked just like she'd hoped, due in no small part to this fabulous young woman. For a minute Laura let the feeling of doing something right wash over her, even if she hadn't been the one on the air, or the show's producer, it had all worked. The smile faded when it wasn't returned. Uh oh, problem.

Chris closed the door slowly not meeting Laura's eyes, then stood, hands nervously thrust into pockets before speaking. "Um...got a call last night," one hand went to the back of her neck. "That guy you were with at Lupe's..."

"Peter."

"Yeah, anyway he asked me out and I just wanted..." Chris looked up as she was interrupted.

"Go out with him." Laura felt her face turn to stone, and she gave a casual shrug. "You're a big girl, you don't need my permission." Disappointed? She asked herself, learn to live with it.

"I don't think you understand. I'm not..."

Laura shouldered the briefcase and moved from behind the desk to the door. "Whatever, I don't care one way or the other."

"Wait! I was worried that if you and he were...then you'd be hurt...Ah, nevermind." Frustrated, she turned to wrench open the door, only to be stopped by a hand on her arm. Looking up into carefully shielded blue eyes, she waited.

Laura let go of Chris' arm almost as abruptly as she'd grabbed it, regretting the harshness of her tone. Clearing her throat, she tried to make amends. "It was a one time thing," she explained, "I'm not interested...he's all yours."

Chris gave a humorless laugh, "No, it's not like that...I just wanted you to...I didn't..." She gave an exasperated sigh. "If he was seeing you and he asked me out...what a jerk."

A slight smile flitted across the taller woman's face. "Thanks for the concern, but don't worry about me." It was oddly touching...no one had given thought to her feelings in so long she didn't know what to make of it. Don't read anything else into it...she was just trying to be...what? Nice? Laura gestured for Chris to proceed her through the door.

Chris stopped at her desk to pick up her things and watched the taller woman leave the newsroom. For every question that was answered about her boss, ten more rose up in its place. She was standing there, lost in thought when the Six O'clock producer waved a hand in front of her face "Hey, you all right?" Kate asked.

"Yeah." She answered with a jerk. "Just daydreaming I guess."

"You did a good job, Chris. Have I told you how glad I am that you're on my show?"

"'Bout a million times."

"Make it a million and one then. You wanna get something to eat?"

Kate was a good friend, but Chris didn't want the company right now. "No, I really need to do some shopping...some other time?"

"Sure." Came the easy answer. "See ya."

Chris clicked the mouse to shut down her computer and locked her desk drawer, strangely dissatisfied on a day that should have been one of the highlights of her life.

**************
The smell of coffee drifted through the Barnes and Noble bookstore courtesy of the small café located next to the hardcover best-seller section. Chris gave in to the impulse and bought a small cup of coffee with enough stuff in it to make it sweet and creamy. Why does it always smell much better than it tastes? Finishing the drink, she tossed the cup in the trash and headed out to the magazine section. She knew it was cheaper to just subscribe to the magazines that she enjoyed, but where was the fun in having them delivered?

Chris picked up the usual Sports Illustrated, Time, Newsweek, and a few others, then wandered over to the sports section, not sure what she was in the mood for. Workout and self-help books dominated the aisle, and she took her time looking through the various titles.

One in particular caught her attention and she smiled as she pulled it off the shelf. Golf for Dummies. Flipping through it, she noted that it wasn't just about how to play golf, but explained the rules, the etiquette, and some of the finer points of the various tours.

"That one won't help ya much if you wanna learn to play golf."

"Excuse me?"

A middle aged man pointed to the book in Chris' hand. "You wanna learn how to play?"

Chris gave a little laugh, "No, I just want to know more about it."

"So you're interested in golf?"

She shook her head, "It's more like I'm interested in a golfer."

"Well, that one'll do you." He handed her another one. "Might try this one too."

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it...You're on TV, aren'tcha? You're a lot shorter in person."

Her smile broadened, "I get that a lot." She looked at the two books in her hand and decided to take them both. "Appreciate the help."

"Don't mention it. Tell your weatherman we need some rain. Not that he can do anything about it. Pretty good job if you can be wrong half the time and they still pay you."

Leaving the man to the stacks of books, she went to the checkout and paid for her purchases, wondering what her boss was up to.

**************
Whoootick!

Laura sent another ball past the 175-yard marker. It flew on a high trajectory, landing softly with almost no roll. Just like Louis promised. She pulled another ball toward her, set up and swung.

Whoootick!

It was a warm evening and Laura could feel a trickle of sweat running down her back as she practiced. The bugs were a little thick too, she thought, brushing a gnat away from her face. She'd been at it for about two hours, and the lights were beginning to bother her so she decided to call it a night. Picking up a towel she wiped her face and took off her hat, shaking down a mane of dark damp hair.

Home and a shower, she thought, remembering that she had a box of macaroni and cheese left in the pantry. Laura sniffed as she picked up her bag, hoping she wasn't coming down with something. The lights in the clubhouse were still on, but she didn't go in, continuing on to the parking lot and her waiting jeep. The top was down and the doors were off and she remembered telling Chris it was her favorite way to drive. As was becoming all too common, she smiled when she thought about the blonde anchor.

What are you doing tonight, Chris? Out for a drink with some friends? Bet you're not home eating macaroni and cheese. Snap out of it Kaz, not like you to wallow in self-pity.

As she stowed her clubs, Laura heard footsteps behind her and casually glanced over her shoulder. "Evening, Peter. Don't usually see you here this late."

"Saw you walk up...how're you hitting 'em?"

She shrugged noncommittally, "Decently, I guess." Then wondered if she should say anything about his phone call to her anchor. Ah, what the hell. Taking a deep breath, Laura stuck her foot into what was essentially, none of her business, "Chris said you called her."

If Peter was surprised, he didn't show it. "Didn't know she had to ask your permission."

"She doesn't...she just wanted to make sure we weren't...serious or something."

Peter looked a little uncomfortable at that. "Kaz, I love playing golf with you, but you're not...I mean...we don't really work off the course."

"It's okay, I know what you mean." She put her hands in her pockets and leaned against the jeep. It wasn't as if she felt anything for him, it was just...

"Besides, she said I wasn't her type." He met Laura's eyes slyly.

"Whatever." The discussion was making Laura as uncomfortable as Peter had been. Briefly she wondered what Chris' type was, then pushed off the jeep. "See you Saturday?"

"For sure." Came the answer. Nodding, Laura got in and drove away.

She found herself taking the long way home, enjoying the late spring evening and the howl of wind through the topless vehicle. Laura didn't even resist the urge to drive down the familiar street, looking for lights at a tidy patio home. Chris' car was sitting outside the garage, and Laura felt her stomach settle at the sight of a light burning in the window. Just checking, huh? Great. Now you're doing drive bys.

Impatient with herself, Laura gassed the jeep and took the corner a little faster than she meant to, squealing rubber on her way home.

**************
The first week of sweeps gave way to a much-needed weekend, and Laura invited Lisa and Trey out to the club for a round of golf. Peter rounded out their foursome, and while he and Laura chose to use caddies and walk, the other two opted for a cart.

"Wuss," Laura chided Lisa as she pulled on her glove, "Next thing you know you're hitting from the forward tees."

"I could outdrive you in college, and I'll outdrive you today."

"Pity, you still can't putt."

"Couldn't we play at a more civilized hour? Why do you want to get up at the butt-crack of dawn anyway?"

"Ladies, could we get a move on?" Trey grinned and waved them up to the teebox, "Settle it up here."

Lisa had the honor and hit first. Without a practice swing and as advertised, she boomed one down the middle, her slice carving the dogleg and leaving her in perfect position. "I still have it, Kaz...and I don't even practice."

Stepping back she watched her former roommate tee it up and swing. The athleticism of her college days was still there, but this was a different Kaz, a more controlled, precise, and powerful player, and it showed as she outdrove Lisa by a good ten yards.

The caddies grinned and the men swallowed. It was going to be an interesting morning.

By the time they had reached the eighteenth green, the sky had darkened considerably and large drops of rain were beginning to splatter around them. The weather assured Laura that there would be no afternoon round, and with her teeth grinding in frustration, managed to botch the four-foot birdie putt as she finished with a par.

"Pretty good round, Kaz." Lisa wasn't too disappointed with the way she played, since she still managed to beat Trey by five strokes, "You're playing better than I've ever seen you play, but it's a lot different."

They had decided to clean up and meet in the grill, so the two women were in the locker room changing. "Different how?"

"Not as reckless...more thoughtful. What happened to grip and rip?"

Laura chuckled, "I'm not twenty anymore." She pulled on a watermelon colored polo shirt and flipped her hair out over the collar. "Besides, a year off made a difference...Louis and I had to make some adjustments."

"A whole year and you didn't play? Jesus Kaz, what did you do with your time?"

"Worked." There was bitterness in Laura's tone, but she didn't elaborate as she tucked in her shirt. Lisa regarded the other woman somberly, wondering...

"So what's up with you and Peter?"

Laura shook her head slightly, "Nothing, why?"

"Just asking about your love life. Ya look good together, he seems nice...couldn't you just once skip the 'I'm not interested' part of your program and go directly to emotional involvement, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars?"

"He seems more interested in Chris Hanson..."

Now we're getting somewhere. "Chris said he wasn't her type." It was out before she could stop it. Oh shit. Insert foot in mouth and chew vigorously. Lisa wished she could take it back as blue eyes flew up to meet hers, and she could almost see the wheels turning in the other woman's head.

"Chris has a big mouth." Laura turned to shut the locker door and paced to the sink to wash her hands, glad not to have to look at Lisa. "Nice to know that the newsroom is privy to the details of my social life...or lack thereof." She felt the anger boil up, and something else. "And what exactly would be Chris Hanson's type?" Laura threw the question out in a snarl, not really expecting an answer.

Lisa smirked as she tossed back a reply. "You, actually."

Blue eyes went wide with surprise and she spun around. "Excuse me?"

With a deafening crack of thunder, the storm that had chased them from the course chose that moment to break. The lights flickered for a moment and the locker room was plunged into silent darkness as all power was lost. It was eerily quiet without the hum of the air conditioning or the other mundane sounds of the busy clubhouse.

Laura's voice came out of the inky stillness. "Well, when you make a point Lisa, you do it with style."

Lisa thought for a minute that it was Armageddon.

*********************
Laura headed to the station in the driving rain, the wipers barely able to keep up with the volume of water being poured on the windshield. Severe weather in the middle of sweeps was not an opportunity to be squandered, and the News Director wasted no time in getting the weekend assignment editor to start rounding up some photogs and reporters interested in earning a little overtime cash.

She pulled into a parking place, threw open the door of the jeep, and raced up the stairs. By the time she was inside, Laura was drenched.

The newsroom was in its weekend mode; quieter and laid back, but Keith was at his desk and on the phone scribbling notes. Laura went in to her office and switched on the lights and all three of the monitors, noting that Kurt, their meteorologist, was on the air with a cut in and Channel 4 was running an infomercial.

"We've got some problems." Keith walked in with a legal pad and stuck a pencil behind his ear. "Mostly, it's the flooding...the staff is gonna have trouble getting here."

"Lisa's on her way, she'll punch it. Who else is coming?"

"Three photogs and four reporters, Kate's coming, and Janie's here plus two editors, Angela and Reggie."

Laura nodded, "Put Angela and Reggie on the phones and listening to the scanners. See if you can get some of those interns in here...we'll use 'em as runners since we can't use the live trucks in this weather. Any reports of damage yet?"

Keith checked his pad, "Some trees down but nothing major. Kurt says we haven't seen the worst yet."

Laura reached over and turned up the volume on the monitor airing Kurt's cut in, frowning when she heard the words "...Doppler indicated tornado. Residents of Braxton, take shelter immediately." Both of them turned to look at the map on the wall. Braxton was northeast of Burkett Falls, and according to the radar, was a mass of red and yellow, signifying the severest of storms.

"Where do you want me?" Chris stood in the door of the New Director's office, dressed in a yellow slicker and black rubber boots dripping on the carpet. "I couldn't drive, so I walked." She explained.

Laura swallowed when her stomach gave an unfamiliar lurch. I'm not ready for this. Dammit I'm just getting comfortable around her. Thanks a lot, Lisa.

Keith looked at Laura, "We could put her on the air with Kurt?"

Work to the rescue, Laura thought. "No. Call Tom, get him in here...he can make it, he's got that Suburban. Do we have anyone who can shoot that's here yet?" Keith shook his head. She made the decision quickly, hoping that once it was made she'd feel confident that it was the right one. "All right, that leaves me, I'll be Chris' shooter. We'll go to Braxton, that'll even up reporters with photogs."

"You can shoot?" The reporter questioned, "I mean I know you were going to when the live truck went boom, but that was just B roll."

"Of course I can shoot, I have many skills besides signing purchase orders."

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Concern shone in the pale brown eyes of the Managing Editor.

"What? Chase a storm with Chris Hanson? What could possibly happen?" Humor lit the tall woman's features and she glanced at the reporter. Mark this down Kaz, you're doing something at work for purely personal reasons that have nothing to do with career advancement. If it blows up, remember where it started. Laura started walking, tossing instructions as she went. "Use the cell phones, the two way's are gonna be hard to use in this weather, C'mon Chris...Keith, get me some rain gear. The sooner we get there, the sooner we get some stuff on the air."

****************
The Blazer was high enough that the flooded areas didn't bother it, but Laura still had to drive slowly to keep the wake to a minimum. Chris was listening to the portable scanner and making notes on a legal pad balanced on one knee.

"You know this is a little crazy. We don't know what we'll find when we get there."

"Yep." Laura said shortly, "Might be nothing, but this is where it's heading." She strained to see through the windshield since the wipers were having little effect. The sky was brightened by the occasional burst of lightning showing sheets of horizontal rain.

They drove in silence broken only by the squawk of the scanner and the static of the two-way radio. Suddenly Laura skidded the Blazer to a stop on the shoulder that Chris could barely see.

"Godfuckingdamn." Laura breathed. "I gotta get this." Through the window Chris looked out across a shrub-lined field to see what had grabbed the News Director's attention and felt the blood drain from her face when she realized what it was.

A funnel cloud was dancing along the ground, maybe a little over a half mile from where they were parked. All the still photos and news video in the world hadn't prepared the reporter for the real entity and the swirling clouds of debris at its base. Chris was startled out of her stupor by the sound of the storm as it invaded the vehicle when Laura opened her door, dragging the plastic wrapped camera behind her.

Chris scrambled out as well, the rain stinging her face and the wind slapping at the jacket and pants that she wore. "Can I help?" She yelled over the fury of the storm.

"Go ahead and get the tripod...I'll shoot off the shoulder as long as I can!" Chris signaled OK to show that she heard and went to the back of the Blazer to get it. The wind made it difficult to get a steady shot, but Laura widened her stance and kept shooting. The twister moved across the field, from right to left, heading in the same direction that they had been: Braxton.

Chris struggled to her side with the tripod and Laura stopped shooting and turned to the reporter, her eyes blue white chips in the stormy light. "Get back to the truck call the station and confirm that a tornado is on the ground southwest of Braxton...stay on as long as you can, get Keith to put you on with a phoner. Go now!" The reporter left, and with one hand Laura flipped open the legs of the tripod and set the camera on it, locking the plate in position. A little more insurance footage and we'll go, she told herself.

Chris got through to the weather center without any problems, and waited patiently while they set up for the phoner cut in. She rummaged in the back looking for the portable battery powered TV and dragged it to the front seat. Turning it on she tuned to the station, pleased that the reception was pretty good. Kurt was on the air and she plugged in the earpiece so that she could hear what he was saying without worrying about audio feedback. The meteorologist tossed to the phoner and Chris started talking, keeping an eye on the tall figure buffeted by winds outside the Blazer.

"I can see the funnel cloud, it's on the ground...If you are anywhere in the vicinity of Braxton , take cover now. I can't see any damage from where we're at...I can't really tell how fast it's moving, but it is on the ground and moving toward Braxton." Then the noise of the storm exploded into the cab of the Blazer as the wind caught the door when Laura opened it pushing the camera and tripod in front of her.

"We need to go now. Don't hang up." She said emphatically as she climbed in and started the engine, pushing the hood of her jacket back. It hadn't helped much, dark hair was plastered to her head and she combed through her bangs with one hand before pulling out on the road.

"Ah, we'll continue to follow the storm and keep you informed... this is Chris Hanson reporting for News 8." She waited until Keith came on the line to tell her she was clear, then handed the cellphone to Laura.

"It's Kaz, what's going on?" She listened as Keith filled in the details. "Do we have any runners yet?" She growled at the negative response. "I'll figure out a way to get this tape to you...we're going to Braxton...Yeah, we'll be careful." Flipping the phone shut Laura shook her head in frustration. "Two brand new live trucks don't do a damn bit of good if you've got high winds and can't raise the masts. Let's see what's going on in Braxton, then we'll head back."

"Who else is out?" Chris asked, positioning the equipment so it wouldn't shift.

"Maria and Jeff went to North Burkett, the flooding is really bad up there. Rendally and Jason are tagging along with one of the emergency crews, and Terrance is our backup, he's on the way with Bobby." Laura drove carefully through the gloom, trying to quash a lingering feeling of anxiety.

Chris flexed her hands nervously. The walls of the blazer seemed to be closing in and she just wanted out, storm or no storm. She glanced at her boss, noting the twitching muscles in her jaw and smiled just a bit. I'm not the only one freaking out here.

The rain had stopped and it was ominously still when they reached the Jaycees sign at the Braxton city limits. They rounded a bend and descended a hill to see the small town spread out in front of them, or what was left of it.

"Oh my god," Chris whispered. The buildings at the edge of town resembled nothing more than a jagged, jumbled scrap heap of lumber and bricks. The smoky haze of destruction had not been washed away by the rain, instead it hung heavy in the air. Laura pulled over to the side of the road and put the station unit into park.

"Let's switch. You drive, I'll shoot." She opened the door and got out.

"You know what happens when I drive..." Chris said as they crossed in front of the vehicle.

"Just go slow and we should be pretty safe." Laura set the camera on her shoulder and rolled down the window. "Okay, let's go." They made their way down the main street slowly, surveying the damage and getting it on tape. Emergency crews were beginning to arrive as they made a second pass, and Chris pulled into a lot next to a damaged building.

"I'll find someone who'll talk on camera," Chris said grabbing the wireless Mic, "Anything special you want?"

"See if they had any warning...were there sirens? Stuff like that. Go on, I'm right behind you."

Chris was in her element now, threading through groups of people, gesturing for Laura to set up and shoot one sound bite after another. Her questions were concerned, polite, and probing. The interviewees opened up with vivid descriptions of what they had experienced in the fury of the storm. They even got one man on tape who said that he'd heard the warning on Channel 8 to take cover and that's what saved his life.

"Elly's gonna love that," Laura said, referring to the Promotions Manager. "There's your viewer benefit." They were headed back to the Blazer to switch tape and batteries, plus make contact with Keith when a burly man wearing a mesh baseball cap, his weathered face creasing into a smile, stopped them.

"Chris Hanson? I'm Tim Foreman, one of your Storm Watchers." As he introduced himself, Laura smiled, realizing that this man could be the answer to their problems. The Storm watchers were viewers recruited around the area to call in temperatures and weather conditions. They seemed to be fiercely loyal to the station and often provided news tips as well. "Kurt Denton called me and said that you all were up here, and I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help you out."

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Foreman, this is Laura Kasdan, my...photographer." Laura lifted an eyebrow as Chris gave a slight wink. "Did you sustain any damage in the storm?"

"Nope, our house wasn't touched, and we heard the warning, so we were in the cellar...just wanted to know if we could help you folks out."

Good thinking Kurt. Laura spoke up, "Mr. Foreman, could you go to Burkett Falls for us? We're gonna try and follow the storm, but we need to get a tape back to the station."

"Sure, I'd be glad to help. D'you think I could get me one of those Channel 8 coffee cups?" he asked a little wistfully.

Laura gave him a big smile, "We'll make it worth your while."

She boxed the tape with a note to Keith and gave it to the Storm Watcher, who left for his pickup truck, pleased to be a part of the Channel 8 team. Smiling, Laura dialed the station on the cellphone, leaned against the truck and looked up at the stormy sky.

"News 8...Keith."

"Your tape's on the way...Tell Kurt he's a smart man, never mind don't...his head's big enough."

"Kaz, good to hear from you. Braxton's a mess I hear."

"Pretty much. No reported deaths, though. There's a Storm Watcher by the name of Tim Foreman on his way in with a tape...interviews and stuff. Make sure you give him a shirt, a mug...you know, the whole gift package. Where's the storm going?" Chris came over to where she was standing and raised her eyebrows in question.

"It's kinda stalled just north of where you are. It's a very narrow band, but very intense, moving toward Groveton."

Laura looked over at Chris, "Do you know how to get to Groveton?" The reporter nodded, then turned to follow the News Director's gaze and spotted their backup, just pulling in.

"Terrance and Bobby are here," she told Keith, "So we're leaving. Remember...continuing coverage, the more pictures, the better, okay?"

"You got it."

Flipping the phone shut, she let out a breath and gave a tired smile to Chris. "Ready to go?"

"Lead on." Chris had her second wind and was almost glowing with enthusiasm. You wanted a storyteller that wasn't afraid to go off prompter, Laura told herself. That's what you got.

"Where do we stand here?" Terence asked as he slammed the door on the other Blazer. He was a little peeved at not being part of the first wave, regardless of the fact that it was his own fault. His handsome features were twisted with impatience as he tapped his reporter's notebook on his thigh. Laura recognized the signs of someone having trouble with her authority, so she forced herself into the cold business mode that she used to strong arm her staff into line.

"Stay here, report on the damage, any injuries or rescues. As soon as it's clear, get Keith to send one of the Live Trucks. We'll go Live at six if we can, but more likely it will be ten. We're heading to Groveton. Get Keith to send a runner for the tape you shoot...any questions?"

The reporter shook his head, "No."

"Good. I'll see you back at the station." The two women got into their Blazer as the reporter stared balefully at them. Bobby waved as they pulled away and Chris let out a sigh of relief.
She never liked Terence, and in the hyper competitive atmosphere of the newsroom, their animosity flared hotly and frequently.

"Not a big Terence fan, Hmm?" Laura observed.

Diplomatically she sidestepped the question, "He's a good reporter."

"No, he's a plumber. That's what we used to call one of those guys who work from nine to six with an hour for lunch. He's got the good shift but he's still pissed off 'cause he's not the number one reporter and he's unwilling to do the work to get there. Come to think of it, it's pretty insulting to plumbers everywhere to call him that."

Chris wasn't used to Laura making speeches, and was a little surprised at the length of the observation. "You come up with some interesting descriptions."

She shrugged, "He is what he is...it's up to him to change."

Chris couldn't resist, "What am I?"

Laura looked over at the smaller blond woman, her green eyes dark in the light of the storm. Go ahead, answer that one, Kaz. "Whatever you want to be." She said softly, taking the safe out.

Chris knew it for an evasion and turned to look out the window. Laura took the silence for a minute before apologizing, "I'm sorry, that wasn't fair, you asked me an honest question." She thought about how to answer as she noted the sign marking fifteen miles to Groveton. "You're one of the warmest people on air that I've ever seen...You're a good reporter, but not as cutthroat as Danny Rendally, and you're well liked by the majority of your peers." Laura glanced over to see the reporter looking down at her hands. "What else do you want?"

You'd be surprised. Chris clamped down on the thought. "Thanks. So I'm not a plumber?"

"Hell no. It's not in your nature...you'd never do anything half-assed." And god help me, I'm kinda counting on that. Laura gave herself a mental shake, Job at hand, Kaz...Watch where you're going.

The sky was turning ominous, churning from light to almost black in rippling waves across the horizon. The air fairly crackled with energy, and Laura instinctively slowed the Blazer as it crossed under a concrete bridge. Almost as an afterthought, she searched the landscape looking for shelter, just in case...

The sky in front of them suddenly split open sending a V-shaped cloud plunging to the earth like a knife, the telltale funnel whipping across road and moving right toward them. Laura spun the blazer around, coming dangerously close to flipping the vehicle and headed back the way they came.

"Hold on!" She wrenched the wheel to the left heading for a culvert that she'd seen near the bridge. Gravel sprayed as they left the paved surface of the road, and the Blazer slid more than rolled to a stop near the concrete drainage ditch.

"Out of the truck!" Laura yelled, grabbing the camera for no other reason than not wanting to lose another one. Chris was already fumbling with her door handle and had fallen out when Laura reached down to grab her hand, pulling the smaller woman up and forward as they ran furiously to the relative safety of the culvert. Scrambling into the opening, they settled on their knees looking back at the world behind them as all hell broke loose. Laura punched the record trigger on the camera, looking into the viewfinder just long enough to make sure that there was an image framed beyond the opening. Without pausing for thought, she reached out an arm and pulled Chris to her, settling the other woman against her side and yelled in the reporter's ear, "Don't let go!"

Chris shuddered against the suction of the wind and held on to Laura for dear life. She could feel the assault of water, grit and other debris against the exposed skin of her face and hands. The wind howled like a jet at takeoff, deafening in its intensity. She squeezed her eyes shut tighter if that was possible, and just when she thought that she couldn't stand it anymore, the fury turned off, like a faucet, leaving unnatural quiet behind.

Laura became conscious of her own ragged breathing in the eerie silence that followed and realizing that she was still holding Chris in an iron grip, she dropped her arms. Concerned, she lifted the smaller woman's chin and looked into green eyes for a clue as to what to do next. Ah, hell. Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars.

She found the mouth under hers softer than she expected, and for the first time in as long as she could remember, Laura wished for a little more expertise in the area of kissing, not certain that she was even doing it right but enjoying the texture and the taste. She pulled back, gently letting go of Chris' lower lip and swallowed, preparing herself for whatever was going to happen next.

Chris blinked, not certain that the kiss had even really happened, and wanting much more. Then the implications crashed down and she couldn't begin to keep up with all the questions tripping through her mind. She cleared her throat nervously, "Cat's out of the bag?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Who told..."

"Lisa."

Realization dawned, "Wait a minute, you kissed me."

"Nothing wrong with your powers of observation." Laura turned away, pushing the camera aside and crawling to the opening of their concrete cave.

"Why?"

"Shouldn't we be trying to get out of here?"

"Answer the question!" Chris grabbed the back of Laura's slicker and pulled, finally getting a reaction when Laura turned around.

"You know, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time crawling around in ditches with you."

Chris fumed, "You are the most infuriating..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Laura peered out at the brightening sky and then pushed her way out into the sodden grass, looking around for the Blazer. Oh no, not another one. "Come on." She reached back for Chris who grabbed the camera and let herself be pulled from the culvert and onto her feet.

"Oh shit." Chris could only look resignedly toward the bridge embankment at the station vehicle lying on its side. Then Laura started laughing. "You were driving!" Chris accused her boss.

"It doesn't matter...apparently you just have to be in the vicinity." Laura answered as she started walking to the truck, squishing through the mud and weeds. When Chris caught up, she automatically took the camera from the reporter and hoisted it up on her shoulder. "By any chance did you grab the Mic?"

"Right here," came the answer.

"Then it's standup time again." Laura fumbled for a minute with the camera controls as she made sure the tape was cued. Speeding through the footage of the tornado while they were in the culvert, she swore softly. "Chris, you gotta see this."

"Hmm?" Looking over Laura' shoulder she peered into the viewfinder. Except for a slightly tilted angle, the video was framed pretty well, then she saw the trees in the distance flatten, breaking like so many matchsticks and their Blazer roll by like a tumbleweed. "Whoa. That could've been us." She did it again...We could have been killed.

"Let's do this." The camera was back on Laura's shoulder as she waited for Chris to settle and begin the quick rehearsal of what she was going to say.

"Do I look okay?"

Laura stepped forward, and with just a slight hesitation, she fluffed the reporter's blond hair, her fingers easing the flattened look a bit. "You're fine...let's do a promo too."

Chris became the storyteller again, slipping into the role of observer as she imparted the details of their ordeal, never once giving any hint of the terror she must have felt...It was more like a great adventure. The standup was brief, and although they did it three times, any of the takes were useable.

"Cool." Laura put the camera down, "Now we need to make some calls."

"Are you sure it's safe?" Chris asked, concerned as she eyed the overturned truck.

"No, but we don't have any choice. I haven't seen any traffic on the road since it hit, and we gotta get back to the station or all this is for nothing."

She opened the back of the Blazer and crawled in, tossing aside equipment as she reached it, until she got to the cellphone. Hoping that it still worked, she dialed the station.

"News 8, this is Keith."

"Do you want the good news or the bad news?"

"Kaz, you could identify yourself, you know. The good news I guess."

"We've got some kick ass video..."

"The other stuff you shot was great! Must've been scary shooting the twister."

"Then you're gonna love this."

"We were first on the air with damage video...Channel 4 is just trying to keep up. Bad news?"

"Ah, you know the unit we left with?" Laura heard the groan.

"You're kidding. What do you want to do?"

Laura twisted to get a little more comfortable. "I want to get this video to you...Is the Live truck in Braxton?"

"On it's way."

"Good." She checked her watch. Three thirty? Seems like it ought to be eight o'clock. "We're on highway 61 just north of Braxton...Tell 'em to pick us up first. Oh, and call a wrecker. Was there any damage in Groveton?"

"No, the storm just turned in on itself and died...They got some rain, but nothing else."

"Then I'll see you when I see you." Laura hung up and crawled out the back again looking guiltily at Chris as she emerged from the wrecked vehicle. "I'm sorry, " She started, "Usually the reporter is in charge of a news shoot...I kinda took over."

That was strange, a News Director apologizing for invading a reporter's territory. "It's different, you're running the newsroom too."

"The Live Truck'll pick us up, shouldn't be too long." Uncomfortable, she looked away.

"Thanks."

"For what?" Laura raised an eyebrow.

"For caring about stepping on my toes, and for saving my life...again."

The News Director gave a brief laugh. "I just threw you in a ditch...again."

Chris smiled and looked at Laura, her eyes earnest. "Are we going to deal with this?"

Laura knew she wasn't talking about the story and sighed. "How do you want to deal with it? I'm your boss and I was way out of line." She swallowed, "If you want to file a complaint, then go ahead. I have no excuse for what happened...I did it, and I'll pay for it." Same as always, huh Kaz?

"I don't want to file a complaint, I want to know why." Chris needed to understand. It was one of the things that made her good at her job; it also explained the warmth of her personality. Knowing that didn't make anything easier.

Laura voiced her thoughts out loud, not realizing it, "Because I wanted to know what it was like."

"What, to kiss a woman? I'm not a freakin' experiment." Chris was angry now, her green eyes snapping.

"No, to kiss someone I wanted to kiss." It was a simple but telling explanation and Laura gave the half shrug that Chris was beginning to recognize as a sign of hurt dismissed. Then the implication of her words slammed home.

"You've never..."

"No, not really."

"Sex?"

"No."

"You're in your thirties...Jeez Kaz, how...?"

"Suffice to say, I have some intimacy issues and leave it at that." Laura started picking up the equipment she had tossed out of the Blazer and stacking it in a neat pile, awaiting the arrival of their ride.

Chris stood still, watching and thinking. Asexual frigid bitch...that's what Lance called her. Then she said softly, "But you kissed me." Laura said nothing, and Chris knelt down in front of her, the plastic coat crackling as she moved. "Look at me." She noted the darkness of blue eyes determined not to waver. "Where do you want to go from here?"

"I have no idea."

"All right." Chris rubbed her chin thoughtfully, "We can make certain assumptions. There's some mutual attraction, right?" Laura nodded, and Chris continued. "Here's the deal, we'll take it slow, you're in control...you say stop or go."

Oh shit, not another deal. After a brief hesitation, Laura nodded again. "It doesn't come into the newsroom."

"Right. It's all up to you."

"That's not fair to you." Laura winced a little at the prospect of someone else giving up that much control.

The blonde reporter fed familiar words back to the source, "Thanks for the concern, but don't worry about me. I think you're worth it." Chris smiled warmly and stood up holding down a hand for her boss. She pulled the taller woman up easily, feeling a strange sense of role reversal. "You know, I think you're more like your dad than you give yourself credit for."

"Why do you say that?"

"When we were running for cover, you grabbed the camera...I didn't think of it, but I should've. Now we have some great video, and you survived another Chris Hanson story." They spotted the Live Truck at the same time and started picking up equipment. "You can shoot for me anytime."

"Thanks, I think."

Continued in Part 5


Return to The Bard's Corner