A DIFFERENT KIND OF RIFT
Chapter 4

By RavensTale
ravenstale@aol.com

 

The darkness of my soul Matches the darkness of the night I search for your soul Which like the dawn Will guide me to the light.

They had been walking for a few hours and making pretty good time considering the condition of the prisoners. Xena did not particularly care for the way the guards treated the prisoners but she had seen worse, Ha.. she had done worse for that matter. During their journey Xena had gotten to know the Captain of the guards Celeus. He seemed like a fair man although Xena had trouble judging anyone who would follow Cesar.

The sun was high in the sky when Xena first suspected that something was not quite right with Celeus. She noticed that he seemed to be falling behind and she caught the pain that frequently washed across his face. Dropping back to meet up with him she saw that his face was flushed and he appeared to be holding his right side. Knowing that he, like any good warrior would never admit to pain she found an excuse to make him rest so that she could see what was wrong with him.

"Celeus I think it's about time we stop and feed the prisoners."

Although Celeus was exhausted and feeling incredible pain in his side he refused to show his weakness, especially in front of this women warrior. This was the excuse he needed to rest. "Hold, breakout the water and bread and see to the prisoners!" Celeus ordered. The guards quickly did what they were told and soon the prisoners were receiving their rations.

As Celeus rested against a tree Xena approached with a water skin. " Here you look like you could use a drink".

Celeus reluctantly accepted the skin, as he began to drink he was overcome with a tremendous pain. As he doubled over Xena caught him and laid him on his back. Celeus began to protest when another wave of pain hit him. Suddenly the other guards noticed their Captain and thinking that Xena was attacking him, with swords drawn they approached. Xena sensing the other guards sat back so that they could see that she was not doing Celeus any harm. Once the guards realized that Xena was not harming Celeus they resheathed their swords. Returning her attention to Celeus she leaned down, "Celeus, when did this start and where do you feel the pain?" Xena inquired with the calm of an experienced healer.

" It it began at dawn but it suddenly got worse a half a candle mark ago. The pain is here in my side." Celeus stated pointing to his right side below his stomach.

As Xena probed the area Celeus tried to suppress his cries of pain. " I've seen this before, part of you is poisoned inside I have to get it out before it bursts or you could die."

"No! What do you know of healing, you're a warrior!" Celeus cried between waves of pain.

" I have many skills." Xena replied with a grin.

As Celeus writhed in pain Xena began to order the guards to gather the things she would need. First she had them start a fire and ordered that they gather clean rags that she could use for bandages. Xena removed her breast dagger and placed it in the fire as she did so she ordered one of the guards to find more water. Thankfully Xena had brought along her healering bag with herbs for the pain and everything else she would need.

Removing Celeus armor and shirt she used one of the rags to clean the area she planed to cut. Celeus's fever was rising and the area grew more swollen with each passing moment. Xena knew that she did not have much time. With two quick hits at the proper pressure points she began to cut into his right side crossing over to the left the breadth of a hand. As she ordered one of the guards to help her she had him use rags to clear away the rising blood so that she could see. Spying the infected organ she quickly cut one side out holding the end and swiftly tied off the remaining end with thread. Then slicing out the other side and tying it off as well she removed the offending organ. Xena made quick work of stitching Celeus wound closed. Removing the pressure points Celeus quickly fainted from the pain. Xena washed and bandaged Celeus with the expertise and care.

When Celeus awoke and was quickly reminded by the ache in his side what had happened. As he looked across the clearing he caught sight of Xena watching over him from a distance. Xena casually stirred the tea she had been preparing for Celeus knowing the pain he would be experiencing when he woke. Xena poured the tea into a mug and walked to where her patient lay. " Here you go drink this it will help with the pain."

As Celeus sipped the tea he was surprised that it tasted good, most healers' potions he had tasted more like the bottom of a horse trough. "Hmm… Thank you for…everything." Celeus stated sincerely. " I have never seen the likes of what you did, cutting me open like that and I didn't feel a thing."

"I just can't work with all that screaming." Xena stated modestly.

"You will be a great asset to our army. I am sure Cesar himself would want you as his personnel healer." Celeus stated, clearly in awe of this women, warrior, and healer.

"Thank you for you words Celeus. I will humbly do what I can to serve Cesar. The prisoners have been tended to and are resting. Some of the guards have gone hunting to replenish our supplies and insure that you have plenty to eat to help you recover more quickly. Speaking of rest it's time you got some." Xena stated removing the mug from his hands.

Starting to feel the sleeping herb from the tea Celeus knew better then to argue with this woman, he lay back and quickly fell into a deep sleep.

****

The night grew quite dark and only a few stars made their presence known. The clearing they made camp was small but that only served to better keep watch on the prisoners. The small campfire brought some much-needed light to the clearing. The prisoners were no longer bound to the poles as they were throughout their trek. Now only their hands and legs were bound, allowing them to rest so that they could continue on the journey with out causing the guards too much trouble. Celeus rested quietly and the rest of guards began to settle in for the night since Xena had volunteered to keep watch. She knew that sleep would not come to her this night.

As Xena once again searched the area she came upon a small pond that glistened in the presence of the handful of stars. Her mind drifted to similar places that she and Gabrielle had come along in their travels. Xena remembered with a smile that when they did come across a quiet place such as this that Gabrielle did her best to convince the warrior that a day or two of rest was in order. Musing about those happier times when they would take the time to relax and swim. Xena's face lit up as she remembered how many of these escapades ended in a playful water fight. Xena could see Gabrielle's beautiful face as she left the water as tiny beads rained down from Gabrielle's firm young body. Gabrielle's light was what initially drew most people to her but Xena knew how truly beautiful she is. These memories were more precious to her then gold. Quite unlike the memories which haunted her now.

Xena's mind once again flashed on the memories that had so suddenly appeared to her in the glade that morning. Those haunting screams of Gabrielle as she gave birth to that thing of evil. The tears and grief of Gabrielle's lost blood innocence brought more pain to Xena's heart then it could bear. As her mind tried to grasp all that had happened she was broken out of her revelry by a familiar voice.

"Dinar for your thoughts" stated Ares as he appeared from the darkness.

"I was wondering when you would show yourself." Xena stated in a casual tone as she hid her emotions behind her walls.

"Well I must commend you my dear, the way you eliminated Khrafstar. Ahhh.. Ares said with a sigh. "It brought back such wonderful memories of the Xena I once knew."

Xena was taken back by Ares comment. It made her realized that yes, for the first time in years she felt that familiar dark bloodlust she once craved as she plunged her sword through Khrafstar. She realized that it had felt good. She had not felt such hatred since the time when she lost Lyceus. She had lost herself to that hate when she killed Khrafstar. Xena knew she could not let Ares know how deeply this affected her. " It was part of the deal Ares, nothing more."

Score one for Ares! He had sensed he had hit his mark precisely with his comment but he could revel in that satisfaction later. He had to keep his plan in motion. "Yes Xena I am sure that you know what's best." Ares stated with a slight grin. " Now what plan is this with you joining Cesar or have those extra memories confused you a bit?" " I thought that you two didn't play well together."

"Watch it Ares!" " My plans are my business, the agreement was that I end the cult. How I do so is not your concern!" Xena exclaimed beginning to weary of Ares presence.

"Whoa, no need to get so defensive. I am here to help guide you on this quest of yours remember?" " I just wanted to make sure that you have not lost yourself to madness with those memories of yours." "That's my job."

"Cute Ares, Don't you have some warlord want-to-be's to entice somewhere."

"Oh yes, but I prefer to taunt my favorite warlord." Ares replied.

"Ex-warlord Ares, I'm not like that anymore"

"We will see Xena, we will see." and with that Ares vanished. "Remember Xena all you have to do is call my name". Ares words lingered mocking her.

*****

Returning to the clearing Xena noticed that the campfire was burning low. She began to place logs on to the fire awakening the embers. She then found herself staring at the dancing flames, her mind returning to that morning when she suddenly found herself pulling her sword out of Khrafstar's chest. She knew that she had lost all control with a raging anger. Then the moment when she turned from Khrafstar, only to be faced with the disbelief and shock on Gabrielle's face. That haunting look caused her pain deep into her soul. Xena truly feared what Gabrielle must be thinking of her. No, without understanding what was behind her actions, what she did, and what she must do seem monstrous.

Xena took comfort knowing that at least her bard was safe and no matter what happened she would not be a pawn in Dahak's plans. Her bard, yes it was as if Gabrielle was always her bard. It was as if her life began in that clearing in Poteidaia with the light of Gabrielle soul. Xena could only hope that Gabrielle would let her back into her life when she was finished. Xena had to admit that she would be lost without Gabrielle's light.

The rest of the night passed slowly as Xena formulated her plan, yes it would be risky but there was too much to lose if she failed.

**** The next few days passed quickly as they made their way to port where they would begin their voyage to the land of Cesar. Making a stretcher they had carried Celeus. Xena kept Celeus sleeping with her tea so that the man could travel fairly painlessly. When they finally arrived Xena and the guards settled the prisoners in the stockade and carried Celeus to the ship they would be sailing on, making him as comfortable as possible. Then Xena and the guards made their way to the local tavern for several much needed drinks.

Xena shared a few mugs of ale with the guards before making arrangements with them to meet aboard the ship the next day. She needed the time to gather a few items she would need on their voyage.

Reaching the local market Xena could not help but grin as she recalled that special smile that appeared on Gabrielle's face at the mere mention of a marketplace. Gabrielle truly had a gift for haggling. This gift had always saved them that few extra dinars so they could afford the luxury of staying at an inn every now and then. With a shake of her head Xena pulled herself from her thoughts. There was no time to linger on the past there was too much to do before they set sail.

 

 

Continued...Chapter 5


Return to The Bard's Corner