DIMENSION’S HOPE

by: Blue
Vryblueyz@aol.com

Part 3

 

CHAPTER NINE

The flight to Calgary was non-stop and, for the most part, uneventful. Liz’s biggest decision was whether to sleep, write in her journal or listen to music. She wasn’t sleepy...exhausted, yes...but not sleepy...writing was even painful...too many emotions kept flowing through her to keep up with. Perhaps later she would write all this down. And the music...well, it had a torment all it’s own. She opted for staring out the window.

She peered out of the L1011. Even at 38,000 feet, it was apparent the landscape was covered in white. The snowfall had been unusually heavy this season. The forecasters were blaming El Nino and the split in the jet stream...bringing warm moist air to the southern part of the US and bitter Arctic cold to Canada and the northern states. The results had been devastating. It brought horrendous rain and flooding from California to the East Coast along with warmer than normal temperatures. The northern regions had already seen record snowfall and bitter cold. This was evidenced by the latest weather update for Calgary. Normally, the December temperatures stayed in the 8-29 degree F range. So far, the high had only been 5 above zero...harsh even by Canadian standards. Going into the Canadian Rockies during this time was truly foolish, but Liz had only one thing on her mind, and she would soon deal with the consequences of a foolish, hurting heart.

"This your first time to Canada, eh?" The passenger next to her was curious about this Yank.

Liz drew her attention from the window. "Uh...yes, it is. You live there then?"

The man had a pleasant way about him. He was probably in his mid-forties, graying slightly with a medium build. He’d been working non-stop on his laptop since leaving Atlanta. ‘A salesman’, Liz thought.

"Yes...just outside Calgary. Been in the States for a month now, promoting my software company. I’m ready to be home. Where you headed? " He had pale gray-green eyes and a very warm smile.

‘Hmmm...I was close...a salesman of sorts,’ she quietly mused. "My ultimate destination is Jasper National Park, but I’m going by Lake Louise then up toward Bow Pass through Baniff. You know the area?" She was always open for more information.

He closed the laptop, thankful for some more interesting conversation. "Oh...yeah...know it very well...beautiful places. Bow Pass is the highest driveable pass in all the Canadian Rockies national parks. At 6700 feet, it’s spectacular, when you can actually see."

"What do you mean by that? Is there some problem with going through there?" A slight twinge of anxiety sweep over her.

"Not normally, but the weather has been really bad...lots of snow...some avalanches over some of the roads. I have a friend who works for the parks, and she says it’s the worst she can remember. Some of the roads won’t be open till the spring thaw." He stopped for a moment, dredging up information. "I don’t think the Icefields Parkway is effected though, and that would be your route, correct?"

"Umm...I’m not real sure. I think I remember something about that from the travel agency. I’m sure the car rental folks will have a more detailed description and maps." She was almost sure they would.

The man held his hand out and introduced himself. "Oh...I’m sure they will. Name’s Jules...Jules Moore...nice to meet you...uh..."

She took his hand in a firm shake, "Liz...Liz Remington. So...uh...Jules...are you a native or transplant?"

"I guess I’m a transplant. My wife is fourth generation Canadian. I’m originally from Minnesota. Because I spend so much time in the States, I have duel citizenship. It can get kinda tricky some times...but I love living in Canada...and the Canadian people are wonderful. And we have the most impressive array of beer." He winked and a smile washed over his face.

Liz relaxed and returned his smile, "Oh...I think I remember something about that...and you say ‘eh’ alot."

He chuckled, "Oh...sure...that’s part of our charm. So, Liz, let me buy you a beer, eh?"

He flagged the flight attendant in first class. The pert woman stopped at their seats. "Yes, can I help you?"

Jules put forth his request. "My friend and I would like an ice cold beer. What choices do we have..." He peered at the polished brass nameplate, "...Michelle?"

She smiled at his polite gesture. She was used to passengers treating her like their personal slave. "Well...we have the usual American domestics. For European imports...Amstel, Beck’s, and Bass. Canadian...it’s gonna be Rickards Red or Blue Light."

Jules looked at Liz, "So...what’ll it be...wanna try something local?"

"Sure, what do you recommend?"

"Hmmm...depends on your mood. Rickards is a deep, red coloured brew...very thick on the tongue. Blue Light is more ... uh...refreshing...light and bubbly on your senses."

Liz thought for a moment, and made her decision, "I think the heartier of the two."

Jules nodded approval and turned to the waiting Michelle. "Make that two Reds, please."

The attendant smiled and disappeared into the forward galley, returning promptly with the brews and glasses.

Liz and Jules poured the thick beer into frosted mugs...one of the perks of first class...but hardly worth an additional $400. The two toasted their individual agendas...Jules, to going home to his wife and family...Liz, to her date with destiny. If all went as planned, she would do the deed on Solstice Eve...under the clear, winter sky.

She tapped her glass with his, "Here’s to going home." He nodded and both took a long, cold drink.

~~~~~~~~~~

The L1011 touched down in Calgary a little after 11am. Flying cross-country always amazed Liz. She had been on that plane for nearly five hours...and it was still early morning. That was good for she had a very long drive ahead of her. She would try not to think about the time difference, needing to focus on driving in a strange country...on roads covered with snow...in an automobile she would have to get used to.

Liz gathered her carry-on bag and her coat. Riding first class had some advantages; she could exit almost immediately. She bade Jules goodbye and stepped through the plane’s doorway. Even in the covered rampway, the low temperature was very noticeable, her breath visible and the cold knifing through her thin jeans. It was a welcome relief to enter the heated terminal. She really wasn’t much of a cold weather girl, preferring the warmth of the Keys.

Having moved through customs, Liz made her way to the Hertz counter. She had requested a sport utility for her stay and to navigate the snowy terrain. The agent was very efficient, something of a surprise. She took Liz’s reservation number and entered it on the keyboard.

"Yes...E. Remington...one 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4WD. All ready for you Ms Remington. Take the Hertz shuttle to the lot and give the attendant this confirmation slip. He’ll get you on your way. Enjoy your stay."

Liz moved to the side as the agent helped the next person. Now all she had to do was go to baggage claim and then to the rental lot. All was proceeding well. With the duffel hiked over her shoulder, she moved toward the sign that read ‘Ground Transportation’...in English and French. Mentally, she wished she’d taken French instead of Spanish in college. Fluently ordering a margarita in Spanish here wouldn’t be very impressive.

The auto doors opened to the outside and the full extent of the cold made its presence known. Although she had the down parka on, she had neglected to take the gloves out and she was without head covering. Her eyes were watering and her face literally hurt.

"Jeeez...now I remember why I like Key West so much!" She was still mumbling as she climbed aboard the shuttle. There were six other people already on, each fully decked out in arctic gear. They looked at Liz like she was nuts walking around in nothing more than a light parka. Indeed, she felt kinda nuts. The shuttle lurched from its parking space, assisting Liz to her seat. The view from the bus windows revealed blowing and swirling snow. She could hardly see further than 50 feet in any direction. Silently, she hoped for better driving conditions away from the airport.

The shuttle pulled into the covered shelter, the doors swung open and once again the cold ran it’s icy fingers over her. Hurriedly, she grabbed the duffel and moved toward the interior of the building. There were several people in front of her, but she welcomed the time to warm up and to stop shivering. In a few moments, she was standing at the counter, sliding the confirmation slip to the agent. He entered the number and retrieved a packet.

Sliding the envelope to her, he recited the same line he’d been doing all day, inserting her name at the appropriate spot. "Here you go, Ms Remington, keys to the vehicle, rental agreement, roadside insurance documents and road maps. Remember to obey the posted speed limits, wear your seatbelt, and use the headlights at all times. We drive on the right...just like the States. Speed is noted in kilometers per hour and petrol is dispensed in liters, not gallons. You will return the car right here, under the canopy. Enjoy your stay." Without hesitating, he announced, "Next."

Liz moved toward the outer door, almost dreading the onslaught of biting air. The outside attendant looked like an animated cartoon. He or she, for Liz couldn’t discern gender, had on so many layers she was sure a trip to the restroom had to be planned well in advance of a pee crisis. He/she looked at her car number and pointed out the correct vehicle.

"Ok...it’s that Cherokee right over there. It’s all fueled and ready to go. You know how to operate a 4 wheel drive?"

Liz was peering into the lot, "Uh-huh...yeah sure. Where did you say the car was? I don’t see it. "

The attendant laughed. "Oh, that’s because in this blowing snow it’s hard to see a white car. C’mon, I’ll walk you over." It waddled in front of her, making way to the still invisible car.

"Did you say...white car?" She was shaking her head.

They were almost on top of it before Liz saw it. The attendant opened the hatch and took her duffel, placing it behind the rear seat. He showed her the emergency road kit containing jumper cables, roadside flares, a Mylar thermal blanket, some waterproof matches and a hand shovel. She pulled her gloves from the duffel before closing the hatch.

Liz opened the driver’s door, threw her shoulder pack across to the passenger seat and climbed in. The attendant asked one more time if she was set.

"Ok...now is there anything else you need?"

Liz looked through the windshield. "Yeah...how do I get out of here to highway One?"

"It’s easy...turn right out of the lot and follow the signs to the highway. You can’t miss it." He/she shut the door and hurried back to the safety of the canopy. Liz pulled her maps out and surveyed the cockpit of the Jeep.

As she prepared to pull out, she made an interesting observation. "Oh, yeah, easy for you. You’re not driving an invisible white car in a snowstorm. Cripes...now I know how Wonder Woman felt flying around in that plane of hers. Hmmm...now how much insurance did I take out? Well at least it has a CD player." She pulled a disc from her case, slid it in and slowly pulled from the lot. Had she turned on the radio, she would have been advised of a major storm moving in from the east...the worst one of the season so far. The authorities were advising no traveling unless it was absolutely necessary. Liz turned up the music.

The Jeep made it’s way onto the airport frontage road. Visibility did seem better, much to Liz’s relief and she was able to clearly see the overhead signs indicating the various routes to the north, south, east and west. Maneuvering the vehicle over a lane, she made the transition onto highway one west, happy that she was finally on her way. The mileage to Lake Louise was approximately 114 miles. Traffic was moving at a brisk pace, even with the continuing snow. She estimated a driving time of about two hours.

 

CHAPTER TEN

Gabrielle was puzzled, "How do you know where she’s going?"

Sam’s face reflected a hint of sadness, "It’s something we talked about doing...well...we planned on doing for one another." She looked out the window again, lost in her thoughts...back to last winter during a surprise snowfall in Atlanta.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Liz...you throw that at me and we’re going to have a serious proble...." The words were cut short by a well-placed snowball to her backside...the projectile disintegrating upon impact.

Liz was bent over, hurriedly scooping snow into her gloved hands. "Problem? I don’t see a problem..." She raised her head to peer at Sam, the bright sun dancing in her eyes. "Say...y’know your eyes are really beautiful..." She took the opportunity to launch an underhand salvo toward her lover, catching her in the chest this time.

Sam brushed the compacted snow from her jacket, and prepared to return fire. "Ok, missy, I warned you. This is war!! " She expertly formed a ball and fired it at the blue eyed woman. The accuracy caught Liz offguard. It struck just at the top opening of her coat, exploding into mini-balls and finding an entrance inside the garment.

"Oooh...now you’ve done it. Prepare to be boarded! " Liz charged across the lawn, fending off thrown snowballs with her arms. She let loose the battle cry, "Aiiieeeee...take no prisoners!!"

Sam began scooping handfuls of snow toward the charging woman, shouting defiantly, "Oh...in your dreams. I’ll never surrender...snow for everyone!! She was in mid scoop when Liz caught her around the waist, her head tucked down. Sam shoved the last of the white stuff down the back of her neck, resulting in Liz making a strident push toward a nearby snowbank.

Sam barely had time to hold on before the two made a soft landing in the pile, protesting all the way, "Liiizzzzzz...don’t you do ittttt...arrrrggggg..." With a tha-fumpthhh.... they were covered, head to toe, in resplendent white. Liz was fully on top of Sam and Sam was continuing to flail snowflakes in the air. The sun caught the ice particles as they took flight and reflected in a rainbow of colors, the absolute beauty of which was ignored by the women. Liz pushed herself up and sat across Sam, her arms shielding her face from the onslaught. Reaching down, she collected another handfull of the wet stuff. She held it aloft, giving Sam a chance to give in.

"Consider yourself boarded...now do you surrender or not?" She was breathing hard, breath standing out in the air. Sam relaxed slightly, and peered through brilliant green eyes, her smile warming Liz’s heart. It was a tactical mistake on the dark haired woman’s part. Sam shifted beneath her captor, throwing Liz off balance just enough. She easily flipped her, and righted herself atop the now vanquished conqueror. It was her time to taunt.

"Uh...I believe the answer is not!’ She had the snow positioned above Liz’s head. "Now...about who’s surrendering...truce? I won’t hesitate to use this." She moved the snowball in a threatening manner. "I possess lethal snowball skills."

Liz dropped her hands to either side, and conceded, "Ok...you win...I give..."

Sam tossed the dripping weapon to the side. "There...that didn’t hurt, did it?"

Liz sat up, grabbed and pushed her to the side, "Nope...not a bit..."

They rolled, tangled together to the bottom of the sloping yard, finally coming to rest against a large pine tree, laughing uncontrollably. It took a few minutes for them to catch their breath. Liz and Sam were eye to eye, their lips inches apart. Sam captured Liz’s mouth in a deep, passionate kiss. It mattered not that they in a stranger’s front yard, in plain view. The two parted slightly, Sam gazing into her lover’s face.

In a voice ever so soft, she said, " I love you, Liz."

Liz returned the gaze, " Sam, I’m very much in love with you. I want to be with you forever."

"Forever?" Sam queried.

"Yes...forever..." Liz was touching her face with her gloved hand.

"Then we should make it official... in a special place...a special time." She looked at the landscape. "I think someplace covered in snow and spectacularly beautiful...just you and me."

Liz pulled her close for another kiss, "Yes...snow...beautiful...you...me...."

Sam’s green eyes sparkled in the bright sunlight. She drew back from the warmth of Liz’s mouth, "I think on Christmas Eve."

Liz winked at the woman. "Oh...I think Solstice Eve would be better. Besides, you got to have your tree and those twinkles last year. I get to pick the day."

"Hmmm...I suppose I could give in...just this once." Sam’s words and a handful of snow hit Liz at the same time. Together, they rolled in the stranger’s yard, laughing like children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well...where is it?" Gabrielle’s voice brought her back.

Sam turned toward the warrior and her bard. "We have to go to the Canadian Rockies...now."

"Rocky what? And what is a Canadian?" Gabrielle was getting an education in the geography of twentieth century Earth. Xena smiled and took her by the arm. "Just c’mon, I’ll explain on the way."

The trio prepared to leave the warmth of the room. Gabrielle was still a bit confused. "Xena? How is it you know these things and I don’t?"

Xena raised an eyebrow and started to speak. The bard knew what was coming and stopped her. "I swear by Zeus, if you say ‘I have many skills’, I’m going to start reciting that irritating Perdicus verse."

The warrior made a face. "Hey...you asked...ewwww...I once knew a boy...."

"Xena! I’m warning you...I mean it now...stop it!"

The banter continued as the three faded from view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz was pleased that the drive was going so well and she was making excellent time. It was still snowing but the road wasn’t bad. She had decided to refill the Jeep at Lake Louise just to have a full tank driving toward the pass, figuring the extra weight wouldn’t hurt. She pulled into the first gas station she came to. It was almost empty with only a few vans and campers at the pumps. She pulled her coat and gloves on before exiting the warm interior. Stepping outside was a shock. The temperature must have dropped twenty degrees in the last two hours and the wind was making it feel even colder. She opened the hatch and pulled out her heavy sweat pants and another sweater. The one thing she didn’t retrieve was her ski hat, thinking she really wouldn’t need that for a while. The pump shut off automatically and she topped the tank off. Hurriedly, she replaced the handle and trotted toward the inside of the station. This was one of those we sell gas and diapers kind of place. Before paying, she slipped into the restroom to don her sweats and take a pee break. Feeling warming and relieved she stepped back into the mini-mart.

On her way to the counter, Liz snagged some bottled water, a bag of Oreos and a Mounds bar. It wasn’t the soundest of choices, but she knew the Inn would have a late night buffet and she would eat then. She paid for the gas by credit card and sprinted back to the safety of the Jeep. It took a few minutes to get situated. She opened the water and the Oreos. She wanted to check the map before pulling out.

"Ok...where the hell am I?" She unfolded the map and traced her route so far. "Hmmm...I need to take highway 93 north out of Lake Louise. It’s about twenty five miles to Bow Pass then...." She moved the map toward the spotlight over the dash. The outside light had begun to fade and it was still early in the day. She should have paid attention to the dark snow clouds to the east. "...up the Icefields Parkway into Jasper...about a hundred eighteen miles. Piece of cake, I’ll be there well before nightfall...and I’ll have all day tomorrow to get ready. " Liz refolded the map in a configuration that left the remaining route exposed. It was a habit of hers. She cranked the Jeep and pulled back onto the highway. The wind had picked up significantly and she could feel buffeting against the car. A few miles out of Lake Louise she decided to turn on the radio, hoping for a local forecast. It took a few moments of scanning to get a clear station. This one was playing easy listening music. At the end of the play segment were some local ads for hunting lodges, snowmobile franchises and eateries. Finally, the weather announcer came on. His voice had that generic ‘ radio smoothness ‘ but with a bit of an accent.

"Today’s high was a balmy -13 degrees Celsius...that’s 8 degrees Fahrenheit for you Yank visitors, with the wind chill, an invigorating -50 Celsius. I’ll let you folks do the math for Fahrenheit. The Canadian Weather Service has issued severe travelers’ advisory for the higher elevations. That would be anything in the Rockies north of Vermilion Pass. There is a real danger of avalanches over the high mountain roads. It has been advised that travel be done only as a last resort till the storm passes. Visibility will be greatly decreased so if you’re on the road, drive slowly and leave a lot of room between you and the Canuck in front of you. We’ll have updates hourly, so stay tuned. Now back to the smooth sounds of Johnny Mercer...."

Liz’s grip on the wheel was a little tighter, her mind trying to rationalize continuing. She took the opportunity to scan the horizon, gazing up at the gathering storm clouds.

"Damn! Look at that...looks really bad." Liz loved talking to herself...it was often therapy...the sound of a sane voice...or at least one that wouldn’t argue with her. She was trying to remember where Vermilion Pass was and reached for the map. She held the folded square in one hand and the wheel in the other. Her eyes darted from the road to the map and back again. Finally, she saw Vermilion Pass. "Rats! It’s just up ahead...and the guy said passage north of there was going to be a bitch." She tossed the map into the passenger seat. "Well...bitch or not...I’m going. It’s just going to be a minor annoyance and take a little longer. It I drive slowly and use the four wheel drive I should be ok." She grabbed a CD and placed it into the player, cutting Johnny off in mid-croon. The taillights of the Jeep all but disappeared in the falling snow. She was well toward Bow Pass when it happened.

Liz hadn’t seen another car in over an hour and the light was almost gone. The road was becoming unrecognizable with the accumulated snow and driving becoming difficult. She began giving serious thought about her decision, but there was no way to go but forward. She hadn’t seen an exit in the last ten miles. In fact, she wasn’t quite sure where she was. With one hand she reached for the map, but it was just beyond her fingers. She then did the second most stupid thing in her life...the first being that bungee jump into the river...undoing her seat belt, she reached for the map.

"Ah...got you, my pretty. Now lessee where the furk I am...." Liz righted herself and through the windshield, not twenty yards in front of the Jeep, was an adult moose standing in the road. Instinctively, Liz slammed on the brakes, which put the Jeep in a skid. She turned the wheel sharply to the right, trying to avoid hitting the animal. She barely missed the moose but impacted the unseen guardrail completely covered with snow. Her mind, in some demented, sadistic state dredged up that scene from Misery with James Caan’s car going off the road. She felt the Jeep tear through the low barrier, careening off the road. Her eyes watched the ground disappear. Even though it was airborne, Liz still gripped the wheel and had both her feet on the brake, neither of which mattered.

The Jeep seemed suspended for a moment...it’s descent in slow motion. For a fraction of a second, Liz thought maybe she could just fly the thing to safety. That fantasy vanished on first impact. The front end came down first, leaning to the right. Liz was thrown out of the seat toward the interior roof. The airbag deployed, almost pinning her there. It would have been safer if it had. The Jeep went into a wild spinning roll down the mountainside. The airbag deflated seconds after going off, leaving Liz to be tossed about the cabin like wet laundry in the dryer. On about the second full roll, she impacted the windshield and was knocked unconscious. Oddly, this may have saved her life. No longer able to struggle with the internal aerodynamics of the rolling car, she was flung about like a ragdoll. The result would be very similar to a drunk surviving a crash and his unlucky victims dying. Liz was just part of the debris flying about now.

The vehicle finally slid into a stand of trees near the bottom of the ravine. The impact was so violent; one of the larger conifers snapped and came down across the back of the Jeep, completely crushing the rear compartment. Immediately, silence filled the air. Nature had already begun covering the Jeep’s route, which was well out of sight of the roadway. There’s no way anyone would even know she was down here.

As the car lay on its side, a winter bird landed on the door handle. It turned its brightly colored head to peer inside. Liz lay crumpled in the passenger seat. It was a miracle that she didn’t end up compacted in the back. She was alive, but badly injured, and with the temperature falling and no rescue imminent...her chances were not very good. It was only by the sheerest chance that her parka had ended across her. The bird cleaned its beak on the doorframe and took flight. On the road, the moose snorted and lazily meandered toward the trees...none the worse for wear. Darkness was quickly falling...it would be Solstice Eve in a few hours.

Continued - Part 4


Return to The Bard's Corner