DISCLAIMERS:

Violent Content Warning: This story contains scenes of a violent nature.

Sexual and Alternative Content Warning: This story also contains scenes of a sexual nature between two women. This story is not for those under the age of eighteen.

Uber Warning: This story is an uber. The two characters are based off of the leading ladies of XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS.

Author’s Notes: This is my final installment to the ‘gang’ series. Please look for my follow-up series ‘Arresting Behavior’. All POSITIVE comments are welcome. Negatives I will simply ignore. Send your thoughts to startrek@ellijay.com.

 

The Gang’s All Here

Part 7

by: Teagen2

 

I watched as Gabby crawled back up and rested her head on my heaving chest. "Oh damn." was I all I could get out. She chuckled.

"I take it you liked that?"

"Verrrryyy Much." I breathed. I glanced over at the clock. Two hours. We have been here for two hours. I sighed heavily. "Where’s my boxers?" I glanced around the bedroom trying to locate the garment in question.

"I don’t know."

"You’re the one that threw them somewhere." I laughed.

"Why do you want ‘em anyway?" she grinned devilishly.

"I have to get up and feed our dog, Babe."

"Same question. Why?"

"Because I don’t wanna get up in my birthday suit with Ares around."

"You’re shy around your dog?" she smiled.

"Hey. He’s smarter than most people I know." She ran her hand underneath the blanket.

"Here." She knew where they were the whole time. I chuckled. I tried to move, but Gabby wouldn’t let me.

"Let me up, Baby." I smiled.

"Oookkkaayy." she drawled, moving away as I righted myself.

 

As I watched her slip of the black boxers and disappear out the door, I sat and contemplated. Dr. Bennet had said something to me the other day that I was seriously considering, a career. I love to write, but at the moment, I am not inspired. I started thinking about the possibilities. How could a punk like me be helpful in anything?

 

 

"Thanks for the ride, I’ll drive the cruiser home okay?" We walked down the hall to Dr. Bennet’s. "Are you sure you don’t want me to sit in? The captain won’t be in for awhile." She smiled.

"I’m okay. You go on. What time will he been in exactly?"

"Uhhhh ten. Why?" she raised a brow.

"No reason. Bye Ze." She reached forward and embraced me and whispered into my ear.

"I love you, Gabby. You were incredible last night." she smiled. "Bye."

 

 

I was down right terrified as I knocked on his open door. "Hey, Gabby. Come on in. Have a seat." he gestured.

"Thank you sir."

"Drop the sir. I’m not your superior." he grinned. "What can I do for ya?"

"I was doin’ some thinking."

"About?" He dropped the pen was using to write and gave me his full attention.

"I was kinda wonderin’ if I can maybe.....help you guys out."

"I’m not sure I follow."

"Well, I know a lot about the clubs around here and stuff, I was hoping I could be of some help."

"Ohhh you mean like a street source, a consultant? Right?"

 

"Yeah." I sighed.

"Oh well, Zena’s unit can always use help. So, your asking for a...job?" I shuffled in my seat nervously. "We can’t pay you for just that. I’m afraid you’ll have to do other work too."

"No, I don’t want any money. I just want....to help....if I can." He smiled and stood.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I’m sure."

"Great." He extended his hand. "Welcome aboard."

 

 

When Ze saw the two of us enter together, she shot out of her chair. "Is everything all right, Sir?"

"Fine, Walker. Gabby’s gonna give us a hand on the driveby shooting case. Pull the file, Thomas." he yelled to a passing officer.

"Sir, I don’t think...."

"Who asked your opinion?" he smiled, shutting her up. "You sit down with Gabby and the file and see what she can come up with. Okay?"

"Yes sir."

"Good." He patted my shoulder as he walked away.

 

"Gabby, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Where’s the file, Ze?" She took my hand and led me over to her desk and pulled her visitor’s chair around next to hers.

"Okay. This is a driveby shooting on Weston." She began to lay the papers out on her desk for me to view. A symbol caught my eye and I picked it up. "Recognize it?"

"Yeah." It was a dragon wrapped around a crystal ball. "Its that Asian gang on.....Man...I think its the Dover district maybe. Big J crossed swords with them a long time ago."

"Do you remember a name?" She propped her chin on her arm and looked at me.

 

"Uhhh no but I know the leader has a glass eye. His left I think. His name sounds like Wayo...or something like that."

"Waynio?" Zena said wide-eyed.

"Yeah that’s it. Their color is green. They’re allied with the Switches"

"I know who that is." She jumps up and grabs her jacket. "I’ll see ya at home. Love you." She hurried across the room and stopped. "Hey Gabby?"

"Yeah."

"Great job Thanks." she smiled and left. I sat back in my chair and sighed. That was the feeling of accomplishment that Dr. Bennet talked about. I don’t give a damn about the case necessarily. It was the compliment and the thank you that sent me into the clouds.

 

 

After grabbing that Waynio guy for interrogation, I strolled back into the office to find Gabby and the captain engrossed in another file. I leaned on my desk and watched as Gabby pointed to different pictures and papers deep in conversation. Man, she was a natural at casecracking it would seem. Now where did the sudden interest come from? She’s said on a number of occasions, she hates this place. I couldn’t blame her. I wasn’t too thrilled myself. I pushed myself off my desk and walked over to the pair. "Hey Walker, I think we got ourselves a regular Sherlock Holmes." Gabby grinned.

"Hey she nailed Waynio in two minutes." I said agreeing.

"You got that report for me on the paintballer?"

"No sir. I’m almost done." I said, cursing myself for forgetting.

"Well....move it." I nodded and hightailed it back to my desk.

 

After several moments, Gabby took a seat in my visitor’s chair as I poured over the report. "Gabby, how do you spell compensate?"

"C-o-m-p-e-n-s-a-t-e" I chewed on the end of my pen as I looked at the word.

"Yeah. That’s what I thought." She chuckled at my expression.

 

"I’m going to go home now I guess. My work here is done for the day." she smiled. She leaned over and gave me a peck on the cheek. I looked up and saw the twinkle in her eye.

"You really like this don’t you?" I asked quietly.

"I do, Zena."

"Alright." I smiled. "I’ll see ya at home. Be careful."

"I will."

 

 

Oh man! "What did I do?" I mumbled angrily as the officer stepped out of cruiser, slipping his hat on in the process. I took a deep, calming breath. I hate being hassled.

"License and proof of insurance." he drawled. I dug angrily into my pocket and the glove compartment.

"Can I ask what I did?" He eyed me and returned to his clipboard.

"This vehicle is not registered to you."

"Yeah. Its my girlfriend’s."

"How’s is it?"

"Zena Walker’s."

"Did she give you permission to drive this vehicle?"

"Yes." I said through gritted teeth. Maybe I should mention she’s a cop. "We live together. I use it when she’s at work." Man, I was about to loose my temper.

"Step out of the car please." I did, reluctantly. "I’m gonna pat you down for my own safety." Yeah, whatever. "Mind if I call her and ask?"

"Nope. 444-2333" He looked up sharply recognizing the number I suppose. "Sgt Zena Walker." He glanced once more time at my paperwork and handed it back.

"Sorry of the inconvenience. Just have to check things out." he smiled. "Drive safely."

 

I told Zena about my rousting. Needless to say, she wasn’t happy. "Did you get the moran’s name?"

"No, sorry. Didn’t think to look. He recognized your work phone. Might have been with your precinct."

"Maybe." she sighed. "I just hate when they hassle you."

"Me too." I chuckled. "Its alright. I’m used to it, Baby. Not big deal."

"Okay. I’m hungry. Wanna pop over to Pappalo’s?"

"Can I have nachos?" she grinned.

"Come on." I laughed and took out my keys.

 

 

"Man, Is it me or does the food get better and better?"

"Must be you, Honey." She wrapped around my waist. "because you eat more and more." she teased. I shoved her away playfully. "Hey I bruise easily." she chuckled. I gasped as she suddenly fell face first onto the pavement.

"Let’s hope so." a familiar voice croaked. It was Boa! She stood over Zena, as she tried to pull herself up, with a baseball bat. Two sets of hands grabbed me to keep me from her.

"ZENA!" I yelled as she slowly pulled herself up, holding her neck only to be hit again. This time in the ribs.

"Ahhhh." She fell back down. My captors were Sleepy and Tao. Boa and Sleepy were wearing the signature purple rags of the Hell Cats.

"Stop it Boa! Don’t hurt her!" I pleaded.

"You know if you hadn’t a met this bitch, you would have been a G."

"NO!" I yanked one arm free. Then the other. "I would never be a Hell Cat! Zena had nothing to do with it!

"Now your talking to the cops. Tao here’s dad is in jail ‘cause of you."

"No, not because of me. Because he killed a sixteen year old boy!"

"He killed a Crip that’s the main thing." Tao spoke. "He was in our turf."

"Why are the Asian Annihilators suddenly friends of yours anyway?" I turned to Sleepy who nodded.

"J’s idea." she shrugged. Boa tried to take another swing at Zena, but I jumped in front of her.

"No!" She nailed me square in the chest, knocking down beside her.

"Fine. You want some too?" She posed the bat for another strike.

"Hey, J said not to touch her." Sleepy stepped forward.

"Shut the fuck up!" She shoved Sleepy away roughly. Again, she bore down on me.

"Gabby?" Zena moaned grabbing her side. Without thought, I threw myself over her and closed my eyes, waiting.

I heard a sharp pop. I opened my eyes to see a hand on the bat, mere inches from me. "Don’t touch ‘em." A stern voice said. I looked up. It was Tate!

"Mind your own damn business, Little Bear." Tate yanked the bat violently out of Boa’s hands. She swung it around leveling our attacker.

"My cousin is my business, Bitch.....You want some?" She beckoned Tao. "Come on." I knew Sleepy would never cross Little Bear. Believe it or not Big J did care for her only daughter, somewhat anyway. "Get the hell back with your club." she motioned. Tao ran as fast as she could go. "Sleepy, take Boa back." She wordlessly walked around us and picked the semiconscious Boa. Tate stood stockstill until all were well on their way.

She dropped down to me, as I held my hurt chest. "You okay, Cuz?"

"Yeah, just sore. Zena?" Zena had managed to sit up and shake the cobwebs away. "How you doin’?" She cleared her throat.

"Okay." she said shakily. Nothing broken." With our help, she pulled herself to her feet.

"Are you guys gonna be okay now?"

"Yeah, thanks Tate." I smiled. "You saved our butts."

"Hey, I owe you. I gotta beat those guys back to the house before J seems ‘em." she motioned.

"Go. Thanks." Zena said.

 

"No problem." she grabbed the bat and took off in a run for home.

 

I opened the door and Ze stepped in, still holding her neck. I tiredly locked up and joined her in the kitchen. She grabbed a handful of ice and wrapped it in a cloth. "Here, Babe." She handed it to me as she made herself one. I walked into the living room and slowly took off my shirt. A dark bruise was forming just below my collar bone. "Ouch." Ze commented as she dropped down onto the couch. "Being with you is hazardous to my health." She chuckled. I dropped my eyes. "Baby. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean it that way." she soothed. "I was joking. I’m sorry."

You stupid, inconsiderate.... I would have kept on insulting myself if she hadn’t started to cry. It was too late. It was out of my mouth. "It’s all my fault."

"No, its not Gabby. Its there’s. We were minding our own business. You weren’t hurting anybody." Shit! Why can’t I keep my big mouth shut?

"I know." She looked up at me. "I’m tired Ze."

"Okay." I said softly. "Let’s go to bed okay?"

I felt the pressure of his lips. I could smell the cigarette smoke on his breath. "Ohhh Gabby." he moaned into my mouth.

"Take me." I smiled

"What?"

"I want you." My hands roamed underneath his shirt to feel strong muscles. "I want to screw you." My speech was slowed.

"G, what’s up? What’s wrong? You don’t look right."

"Not a damn thing wrong with me." I slurred. My hands were unbuckling a belt, his belt. The noise around me was starting to give me a headache. "Gabby."

 

"Gabby? Wake up." Her eyes opened. "I have to go to work. Are you going to stop by later? There’s a liquor store robbery the captain wants you to look at. That is if your up to it."

"Yeah." she yawned. "I’ll be down." She rolled away from me. "Later." She wrapped herself up deeper in the covers.

 

"Okay. I love you." I stood up and started to leave, slipping my badge around my neck.

"Love you." I heard mumbled from somewhere under the sheets. I smiled.

 

 

"Hey Gabby. Any luck?" the captain, taking a seat next to me.

"Think so. I’m working on it. I think it was a Switch named Knocker. Its Demon’s estranged brother."

"Didn’t know he had a brother."

"Most don’t. I’ll think I’ll have it nailed."

"Good." he smiled. "Gabby, have you ever thought about a career in law enforcement?"

"Recently, yes. Just a thought." I grinned, playing idly with my pencil as I sat back in my chair.

"Doesn’t have to be." he said.

"What do ya mean?"

" Have you ever been charged with any crime, Gabby?"

"No.Why?"

"I can get ya a spot for the admissions test for the academy this week."

"Are you serious?" I sat up.

"As a heart attack. I think you’d make a great detective someday. I worked with Zena’s father, James. He was the best in the business. I know when I see potential."

"I don’t know." I said, suddenly unsure.

"Just think about it. I’ll give you info on the test. Its not that difficult. You have to have a background check first. So, you need to make up your mind in the next day or so. If you want, I’ll get Carl started on your check, just in case." He stands and walks away, leaving dumbfounded. He just layed it out for the taking. Boy, is my mind gonna be racked!

 

 

Oh man. My stomach was turning knots. Maybe it was Zena’s cheese omelet. The inevitable happened. I dashed to the bathroom. Zena caught a glimpse of me booking it past the laundry room as she loaded the dryer. "Gabby?" She found me getting up from the bowl. She wet a cloth and wiped my face.

"Thank you."

"Are you getting sick, Sweetie?"

"Don’t know. Maybe its your cooking." I smiled. She laughed.

"Come on. I think you should stay home today."

"Zena...."

"No arguments. Alright?"

"Can I talk to you before you leave?" I said from the bed she just forced me into. Still in her bare feet, she layed down next to me and propped up on one arm.

"Shoot."

"I’ve been thinking about getting a job."

"You don’t have to you know."

"I know, but I want to."

"What did ya have in mind?"

"Well." I took a deep breath. "The captain said he could me a shot at the next entrance exam."

"No." she said sternly. "You are not going to be a cop."

"Why not? I like the idea."

"No." she repeated and stood up. So did I.

"Zena, give me one reason why not?" I followed her into the living room as she continued to ignore me.

"Because I don’t want to worry about you while I’m out." She turned around and saw the angered expression I knew was on my face. "Gabby," she tried to reach for me, but I stepped back. "Its not that I don’t think you’d be a good police officer. I just don’t want anything to happen to you. I’d worry myself silly."

"And I don’t?" She raised her brow. "I worry about YOU everytime you walk out that door. I’m terrified you won’t come back one night, but I know this is what you love to do. Why can’t I have that too?" She started to protest again, but I cut her off. "And I don’t recall you having ownership papers on me. Either you can except what I want to do or....." I trailed. "Who knows I might not get anywhere near being accepted, but I wanna give it a try."

"Okay. Your right."

"I am?" I smiled.

"Yes you are. Now, get back in bed. I’ll let the captain know you are indeed interested." I threw my arms around her when she smiled at me.

 

During the day, I was alone with my thoughts. That’s not good, considering what had just crossed my mind. I didn’t think of it until this morning. Morning sickness and I am about five days late. Oh gods. This can’t be happening. The only time I know I want to do, something gets thrown in to knock me off track. I grabbed the phone and called the only person I wanted to see, Zena.

"Police Department. Precinct 12."

"Zena Walker please."

"She’s out of the building."

"Okay nevermind then. Thanks." With a quick switch of gears, I paged her.

 

"Hello?"

"Gabby, are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah, I was wondering if you could be home soon."

"About three hours maybe, Why? What’s wrong?"

"I just wanted to talk to ya about something."

"Ahhh..I can be home in an hour. Okay?"

 

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I’m on my way."

 

Man, what could it be? The only reason I’m skipping out of work, is the fact that whatever it was, she sounded scared. I entered and found her laying on the couch.

"Zena?" I didn’t get my jacket off before she said, "I think I need a pregnancy test." I all but fell beside her

"Ummmm okay." I said softly. I rubbed her back. "I’ll call Danny." But first I opened my arms and she crawled into them. "Shhhhh. Its okay." I kissed the top of her head as I reached for the phone.

 

There was no way we were going buy some store bought piece of junk. She needed to know for sure. As I sat and waited....and waited....and waited, reading the same six month old Complete Woman article three times. Hell. I flung the mag back onto the table. I hate that stuff anyway. I never thought for a minute that I’d ever have kids. Never entered my mind since the day I screamed, "I’m gay!" to my father who was on his way out the door, again. Kids aren’t exactly my forte’. Gabby is the love of my life. I know that and if that is the case, I’ll learn to change diapers. Uggggg.

I was so lost in my thoughts, I never saw her come back out and sit down next to me with a smile on her face. "Well?" I asked.

"Not pregnant." she smiled. YES!!! No dirty diapers for me. Suddenly my excitement died. "Your not actually disappointed are you?"

"I was just thinking about what it might be like...to have kids. I’m just glad your happy with this."

"I just didn’t want to deal with it right now." She stood and pulled me with her out of the door. "Who knows. I might actually pass that test."

"I think ya will. Your really smart."

"Ya think?" I opened the door to the jeep for her.

"Of course. I passed didn’t I?"

 

I sat up with her going over the last of the basic skills in the study book I swiped from the captain. She can do it. I was confident. Gabby has excellent critical thinking skills.She’ll do fine.

"Hey Zena. Did your dad ever tell you he was proud of you when you graduated or did he still hold those thoughts of you getting hurt?"

"He came around....Gabby I’m proud of you no matter what you do. Your not doing this because of me are you?"

"No, no. Its just I was thinking about my mom."

"Ohhh?"

"Yeah, I was just wondering if she would approave that’s all."

"You got away from your aunt and you aren’t banging. If that’s not something to be proud of, I don’t know what is."

"Thanks....did your mom ever like the idea?"

"No." I grinned nervously. "Still doesn’t really."

"Still doesn’t?"

"My mom’s not dead, Gabby. She lives in Arizona."

"Why didn’t you tell me?"

 

"My mom divorced my dad when I was six. I wanted to stay with Dad and be a cop. Even then, I was never interested in her smug lifestyle. So, she never filed for custody. I stayed with my dad and she moved back home to my grandparents."

"When’s the last time you talked to her?" She sat next to me and took my hand.

"About 10 years ago." I said quietly. "I....umm called her and told her I was gay. I thought she outta know." I felt the tear before it slid down my cheek. "She told me to never call her again. That I was not her daughter anymore."

"I’m sorry, Babe." The situation was oddly reversed this time. I was the one that needed a little comfort, My mom is a coldhearted bitch with an attitude. Why should I care? I haven’t seen her since I was six. "She didn’t even come to Dad’s funeral, Gabby. I called my grandmother and Mom wouldn’t even talk to me after I told them Dad had died." Another set of tears.

 

What a bitch. Man, I’ll rip her eyes out if I ever see her for hurting my love like that. It breaks my heart to watch her cry. She so tough, its scary when she does have a bad moment. Wonder what she’d think of me. Uggggggg. Don’t wanna go there. "She didn’t even call to see if I was okay financially. Nothing."

"Looks like you haven’t had the best of luck in the way of family either......I love you, Zena." She made eye contact with me.

"I love you, too." I reached for her. I couldn’t help it.

 

 

My hands sweated more in the last few hours than in my whole life. The questions weren’t that hard, but my brain shut down an hour ago. I’m doomed. I finished a half hour before their allotted time and flew out. I hate tests! I went down the hall and back across the station. I found the captain in his office. "Hey Gabby. Come on in. I’ve got some news for ya."

"Okay." I sat down, nervously.

"So, you think you did okay?" I shrugged. "I’m sure you did fine. Now I have a friend at Hancock. There are a few more spots in this semester’s entrance class. The only big catch it’s in Santa Maria."

"Is that far?" I really didn’t like the idea of leaving L.A. I haven’t since I moved here.

"About 170 miles. Between L.A and San Francisco. Straight shot on U.S. 101. I know you probably don’t wanna be away from Zena that long, but its the best I could do for ya."

"Yes sir. I understand and I appreciate it. Could I just wait to see if I pass before I make up my mind?"

"Sure. Zena already knows about it. So, just let me know."

"Okay, thanks." I got up and treaded home, crestfallen.

 

 

"Zena, I think I’m gonna do it." I suddenly announced after lying in bed for an hour. In her arms, I feel like I can tell her anything and I usually do.

"I’m going to miss you so much." I started to cry. I didn’t want to leave her, but I knew what my heart said, but I didn’t have to like it. "Shhhh. Don’t cry. I’ll be up every weekend I promise."

 

"Really?"

"I can’t be away from you longer than that. I’m proud of you for going."

"Thanks."

 

 

 

"Santa Maria isn’t that bad Gabby." I said looking up at her new building.

"No, it looks nice." Sure enough Gabby had passed. Not only that, she did better than I did. I wasn’t surprised though. Now I have to drop her off and leave her here. I really didn’t want to. I just keep telling myself, ‘Its just a few months’.

"Well this is the last of your stuff." I grabbed my CRASH douffle bag that I had given her and closed my jeep door for the last trip in. I set the articles on the floor. She watched me as I fingered the silver pendant around my neck. "You know you haven’t taken that off since I gave it to you." she smiled.

"And its staying right here....Oh I got something for ya."

I reached into my pocket handed her the box. Inside was a note.

I hope this isn’t too premature. I know you can do it. I love you with all my heart, Gabrielle.

Love Always,

Ze

She moved the note to find a silver pendant. Enforcers of the Law. To Serve and Protect. It was an exact duplicate of mine. Gabby looked up with that smile I love so much. I motioned for her to turn it over. To Gabrielle: Hold my heart for me.

"Zena." she smiled. She reached forward and pulled me to her. "I love you." she said, muffled by my shoulder.

"Bye, Gabby. I’ll call you every night okay?" I smiled. "And you call me whenever you want to. Screw the shifts." I took her hand and kissed her knuckles. "If you ever wanna come home, just say the word. I’ll be up here in a flash." Her waterworks were on full. Its hard to keep from crying when she is. "I won’t think any less of you. I’ll be proud of you no matter what. Okay?" She nodded. "Promise me."

"I promise."

 

 

I memorized this hug. It was the last I would get for awhile. "I love you."

"I love you too. Forever."

 

 

It took all my self control to tear away from her. "Bye."

"Bye, Ze." she waved as I walked to my jeep and started it. She watched me until I was out of sight. I breathed a shaky breath before the tears started stinging my eyes. Its gonna be a long drive home.

 

THE END


Return to The Bard's Corner