Chapter 19

A modest fire lighted the camp. The group had already eaten and the still night air retained much of the day’s heat. Xena had picked an easily defended spot to stop and rest for the remainder of the night. Her mother had practically passed out with her head on Xena’s shoulder and Draco’s withdrawal from the drug was worsening.

"If only I had thought to find some of that drug before we left." The warrior woman wanted to comfort the shivering, sweating man. Iolaus was able to get some food into Draco when they were still in the wagon, but not much and Xena’s attempts to get him to drink were unsuccessful.

"I have some," said Iolaus. "Giannis didn’t trust the cook with it, in case he decided to put it in his food." The former slave glanced over at his bound and gagged master and sneered. "But I knew where he kept it in his quarters and I took some. I was going to sneak it into his wine myself."

The youth walked over to Xena and pulled a small pouch from the inside of his belt. The warrior dipped a long finger in and sprinkled the powder into the suffering man’s nostril. His teeth were clenched tight in a spasm and she knew this method would work as well. "Thank you, Iolaus. We’ll have to gradually reduce his intake until he can function on his own again. How long did Giannis have him captive?"

"For a while, but Draco was on his own for a while too, before Giannis found out the options to release him from the spell."

Xena nodded and then studied the weakened man. "I’m sorry, Draco. I didn’t mean for this to happen to you." She ran a hand across his brow, spreading the glistening beads of sweat. She almost laughed at the irony of the situation, but the man didn’t deserve to suffer like this. "It seemed like a good idea at the time. You were so ... funny ... and so desperate to please her. And I saw you getting a chance to reform, even if it was against your will. How was I supposed to know..."

A sound from the other side of the fire drew Xena’s attention. She left Draco in Iolaus’ care and passed Giannis on the way to her mother’s side. Cyrene was sitting on a log drawing designs into the dirt.

"That’s nice, Mother. What is it, a cow?

"No. It’s you."

"Me? What are those horns? And that tail?"

"Those aren’t horns, those are your ears. That is a whip, not a tail."

"I see where Toris got his artistic ability from."

Cyrene chuckled and scooted over so Xena could sit down. From where they sat the pair had a good view of the camp and Argo’s golden head peering over a bush.

"Why aren’t you sleeping? After what you’ve been through, Mother, you should sleep for the next week. You were drooling on my shoulder before we stopped."

Cyrene stopped her sketching. "I was wondering if you would tell me the truth about Toris."

Xena wanted to hide. Normally she reacted to guilt by covering it with indifference or anger. But with those she loved, she felt transparent. The inability to hide her shame from them made her more aware of it herself. "He was alive when I left, and he was improving too. I just couldn’t do anything for him, Mother. I felt so helpless. And responsible."

The older woman put a tentative arm around her daughter. The two had never been too comfortable with physical affection, but Cyrene wanted to show Xena with actions that she didn’t blame her for the recent attack. She followed it up with words.

"Xena, this wasn’t your fault. Giannis went after us to get to you, but you had never done anything to him. Whatever your past deeds, they did not cause him to act."

Xena wanted to run. She knew her mother believed what she spoke and now, once again, the warrior princess would have to disappoint her mother and reveal the truth, that she had caused her family pain. She took a deep breath and then explained to her mother that, indeed, the whole thing was her fault. She told of Bliss’ arrows and the effects they had. The strange crossed loves that ensued, and the final decision she made that caused Draco to remain infatuated with Gabrielle.

"So you see, it was my fault. If I hadn’t told Cupid to leave him that way, Giannis wouldn’t have gone through all this to try and get me and Gabrielle here."

Cyrene listened to her daughter’s explanation and pulled the woman in closer. "Perhaps you did make an unwise decision, Xena. I would not want someone making such decisions about my life, as you did for Draco. Even though you thought you were doing a good thing, it wasn’t right for you to decide that he should reform and live under a spell." Cyrene felt her daughter tense under the weight of her words. When she sensed this, she hurried to continue.

"But, Daughter, that has nothing to do with what Giannis did. The only person you owe an apology to is Draco, for not giving him the opportunity to make his own choices. Giannis, for whatever reason, chose to act on his feelings the way he did. Just the way you said you make a choice to do the right thing, so could he have. You didn’t make the choice for Giannis."

The ebony hair falling in her face hid Xena’s expression from her mother. She wanted to show the older woman that her words helped her, but they only partially did. The warrior knew there was truth in what Cyrene was saying but she found it difficult to release herself of even more blame so quickly after her earlier breakthrough.

"I know you are right." She scanned the camp for signs of trouble. Giannis lay still on the ground and Draco seemed to be feeling the effects of the drug. Xena watched Iolaus propping some leather scraps from the wagon against a wheel for a pillow and continued. "I’m sure I’ll feel better in the morning."

Cyrene kissed her daughter on the top of her head. "You can’t fool me, Daughter. You still blame yourself. But, if Toris got his artistic abilities from me, guess where you got your stubbornness? Give me a few days and I’ll have you convinced."

Before Xena had the chance to argue or make a joke, the older woman had said goodnight and moved to a bedroll. The warrior sat and stared at the fading fire, listening for intruders, and eventually pulling the tattered headband from it’s hiding place and fondling it.

Chapter 20

The amazon village shimmered in the heat of another sweltering summer day. Women walked slowly and carried water skins with them just to visit a neighbor. The dull buzz of insects was annoying to some, soothing to others. Gabrielle had spent the previous day with Voula and the new apprentice and the other one was due to arrive today. There had been no time to visit with Cassa or have another deep conversation with the healer. For that, the bard was grateful. Having been given so much to think about over the past week or so, the young woman gloried in spending time cooking and arranging the room she shared with Elefteria, and taking the new apprentice on a tour of the village. It had made Gabrielle feel good to show a newer newcomer than herself the sights of the trading village.

Today the other apprentice, Antigone, was due to arrive from a village to the east. Ellefteria was from a farming village. Gabrielle had overheard that Antigone’s village was known for great warriors. The visiting queen was on an errand to get some extra blankets from Cassa, although the nights were still unbearably warm. But Voula wanted to be sure that her charges would not be chilled if the weather were to take a sudden turn.

The visiting queen noted that the village seemed even quieter than normal at the early hour. There had been a party the evening before and many of the amazons had danced wildly into the night. Gabrielle had danced once each with Tasia, Athanasia, Cassa and Voula. It was there she finally met Polixeni and was surprised to discover that she was barely older than the bard. It seemed that Voula liked younger amazons, and that younger amazons liked her back.

Gabrielle smiled at her own surprise the previous evening when Polixeni introduced herself. It was not a completely unknown phenomenon, she thought to herself in the daylight, but she had probably worn her shock on her face at the party. Voula, watching from a distance had thrown her head back and laughed, and her merchant lover had politely ignored Gabrielle’s temporary stunned expression.

She was at Cassa’s hut before she knew it and knocked. The weaver was expecting her and peaked out within seconds.

"Good morn’, Gabrielle. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, that dancing wore me out. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the cot. Even with my clothes on the heat didn’t keep me up."

Cassa’s eyebrows rose slightly. "I wasn’t so lucky," she said and Gabrielle noticed the woman’s bare shoulder behind the curtain at the door.

"Oh. Yes. I’ll give you a minute to put something on before I take the blankets."

Cassa smiled and spoke to the bard as she walked back into the hut to get dressed. "I can’t believe those few dances tired you out so, Gabrielle. I looked for you to join me again and you had already left."

Gabrielle had turned to face away from the curtain. She watched as a few of the spice and tool merchants moved their wares out to their tables at the business end of the village. She called over her shoulder to Cassa that Voula had promised that she would be very busy the next few days and that she needed her rest.

Just as the weaver returned dressed in a skimpy top and short skirt and carrying a pair of blankets, Gabrielle noticed the group of warriors who had harassed her two days earlier entering the village center. At about the same time, Stavroula noticed the bard.

"Our visiting Queen is standing outside the hut of the weaver. Are you leaving, Queen Gabrielle? Or are you coming?" The band of amazons snickered at their leader.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes, finding it hard to take seriously someone so juvenile.

The band followed Stavroula over to Cassa’s hut but stood back a bit. Cassa moved to stand at Gabrielle’s side. "What is the matter, bard of Xena’s? You seem to be offended by my question," asked the tall warrior.

"I’m not offended, Stavroula. I’m embarrassed at your lack of creativity," said the blonde as she leaned on her staff.

"Well, words aren’t my strength. I usually do my talking with my sword." The warrior unsheathed the sword at her waist and performed a quick drill to show off her skill. Gabrielle had to admit that if she hadn’t been used to Xena’s skills, she might have been impressed with Stavroula’s. "But, for you, Queen Gabrielle, I could make an exception and try harder to make better use of my mouth."

"Oh, please. You’re worse than some of the men who try to pick me up in taverns." Gabrielle ignored the elbow in the ribs she was getting from Cassa.

The other amazons were grinning at the show. They had nothing better to do until the practice General Athanasia had called for later in the day. Stavroula turned to them and winked. Once she had someone caught up in her banter, she was confident she could get them to do anything she wanted. She turned back to the bard and the weaver, who was whispering a warning to go with the elbow nudge.

"Don’t listen to her, Gabrielle. We just want to have some fun. Don’t we amazons?" The dirty blonde glanced at her friends.

Her cronies nodded and loudly agreed.

"I’ve never been picked up in a tavern," she continued. So, I’ll have to take your word for it. Perhaps you could teach me how to be better. Perhaps you could teach me to be as good as, say, Xena?" Stavroula stepped closer and faced Cassa briefly to issue a warning, "Stay out of this weaver."

Cassa again asked Gabrielle to consider very carefully giving Stavroula the attention she so craved and added, "It isn’t too late to just walk away."

"Walk away from what? She is just trying to give me a hard time." The blonde turned to Stavroula. "And it isn’t working."

"Come on now, Gabrielle. We had a deal. I told you I would wait until your nose healed before we had our fun. The swelling has gone down and the bruises around your eyes are almost vanished. I’d say it’s time for me to get a little taste of what the warrior princess feasts on."

"You sound like the workers who are building the Parthenon. When I was in Athens and I walked by they would stop work and shout out rude comments like they really expected them to work. Do you really think that by insulting me I’ll be attracted to you and want to sleep with you?"

Stavroula had to think for a minute. She wanted to look to her friends for help but was too embarrassed to. She put her sword back in its sheath to stall. "You’re small, but you are gutsy. I like that," the muscular woman finally said.

"Well, that is an improvement, but I’m still not interested."

"Why not? Xena’s not around. And the weaver here couldn’t satisfy someone who has had a real warrior. If you can keep Xena happy then you should be engaging for a tumble."

The last comment stung, although the amazon would have no way of knowing why or how much. But she did sense a chink in the visiting queen’s armor, as did Cassa.

"Gabrielle..."

"Stay out of this, weaver. This is between me and the queen. She doesn’t need your help, do you little queen?"

Gabrielle felt her anger and frustration ignite. She was tired of being condescended to. Every time someone called her Xena’s bard, or Xena’s sidekick, or little this or little that, she was reminded of just how much she didn’t fit the mold. She wasn’t her own person, she was an appendage of the warrior princess. She wasn‘t a real amazon queen she was a miniature fraudulent version.

"Stavroula, I am not here as a queen, I am here as an amazon. But I am an amazon queen, the queen of a warrior village, I remind you. I will not have you disparage the title, or my ability to uphold it."

A wicked grin spread across the warrior’s face and her comrades behind her all felt their pulses quicken. They were glad they dragged their warrior butts out of bed to get in some early practice.

"We were just on our way to do some drills," offered one with hazel eyes and a scar on one cheek. "Perhaps your Highness would like to come and prove it."

"Yeah," said Stavroula, moving closer still to the bard and her flashing green eyes. "I’d like to see you teach me a lesson, Queen Wanna-Be."

The bard’s temper overruled her recent experience with the soldiers and the remaining tenderness of her nose. All she could hear was Xena’s voice telling her to stay behind, and her mind’s eye was choked with visions of doubtful amazon’s wondering how she could be queen.

She brushed past Stavroula. "C’mon."

 

Chapter 21

Toris awoke to an early morning reunion party. At the foot of the bed stood his imposing sister with dark circles under her eyes and wearing one of their mother’s sleeping shifts. Her smile, although genuine, had an air of melancholy.

His attention was drawn away from Xena to someone clasping his hand. He heard his mother’s voice and then he felt the pain of his lips stretching in an ambiguous smile of his own. The ache in her voice as she repeated his name saddened him, even as he was overwhelmed with joy at her return and pride for his sister at getting her home safe.

"Mother," he said. "Stop crying, I’m fine. I’ve just been lying in bed here. You’re the one who was out there helping my crazy sister beat another bad guy."

"Stop making jokes, Toris. Between you and Xena I can never get a straight answer."

"But you didn’t ask me anything." The blue-eyed man winked at Xena, who was watching Cyrene try to find a place on her son’s body she felt safe to smack while wiping an errant tear from her cheek.

Celeste bustled in carrying a tray filled with cool mugs of tea and biscuits. "I told you two last night when you rolled in that he was fine and you could sleep late." The healer bumped Cyrene off her stool with her ample hip. "Take this tray, will you Cyrene, and make your daughter eat and drink something. I’m going to change some bandages on this fellow."

Toris watched his mother and sister back away from his bed, the older woman pressing doughy bits into her blue-eyed daughter’s resistant hand. "Take that outside you two and give a guy some privacy."

Both women of the family knew he wasn’t concerned with privacy and that he wanted to pump the healer for information on their condition. They obliged him and moved their battle of the wills out into the front room.

"They are in fine shape, Toris." Celeste changed the bandage on his forehead and complimented him on his good work at healing. She asked him if he needed anything for pain.

"Just knowing that my mother is going to be okay. Did she tell you what happened after that bastard dragged her out of here?"

"Such language. I may have liked you better when you were mostly unconscious, young man. Ever since you started waking up every hour, I’ve heard nothing but, bastard this and damned that."

"Celeste. Don’t be like that. We both know you can’t resist me."

The healer shook her head and strands of her fine hair fell forward. She chuckled and told her patient the truth. His mother had been incarcerated by a madman named Giannis who planned on using her to lure Xena and her friend into a trap. She described the story as told to her by Xena, Iolaus and Cyrene when their wagon pulled up next to the inn late the night before. Toris was relieved that Cyrene had not been physically harmed and that Xena had managed to get out with only a scrape on her arm.

By the time the story was finished, the bandages were changed and the healing man felt the helpful tug of Celeste’s hands under his arms as he pulled himself up in the bed. "I am ready to receive my company, now," he said regally.

 

 

The trio drank their tea and ate biscuits and fruit for half the morning. Xena didn’t remember her family ever being that joyous and relaxed. When she was young, there was always tension in the house. No one was ever sure what kind of a state her father would be in when he staggered in the door. Sometimes he was loving and boisterous; playing with her and her brothers and offering them gifts. Other times he would beat one of her brothers and threaten to beat her too if she didn’t get out of the house. But he always smelled of ale and warriors.

It was when he went after their mother that Xena felt the most helpless and angry. She would hide out in a tree house behind the inn and smash her wooden sword against a branch until her hands were blistered and raw. She wanted the tree to bleed the same way. She didn’t know who she was angrier at back then, her father or her mother who kept them in that nightmare.

She looked now at Toris and Cyrene. Both bruised and abused, but returning her gaze with gentle loving glances. Even after her father ...left the family. Gods, it is still hard for me to think that Mother killed him. I had wanted her to so much back then. How would I have felt then if I knew she had? Relieved? Horrified?

Even after he was no longer around to cause them harm, they were not a happy family. Looking back it was obvious to Xena that her mother had carried around the guilty secret of her murder. At the time, it had appeared that she was in a long and deep mourning instead. But Cyrene had shut down emotionally for years, neither showing fear, anger, delight, or love. She walked around like she had been handed a death sentence and was awaiting an executioner to tap on her shoulder at any moment.

Then Cortese entered their lives and Lyceus exited. Mother regained her ability to cry and scream and little else. Toris began to drink away the nights and Xena... well, everyone knew what happened to Xena.

"Hey conquering hero, where are you?"

The question came from Toris but Xena looked over and into her mother’s concerned eyes.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about the old days."

"No wonder you looked so cheerful," teased her brother.

"Stop it, Toris. Are you feeling ill, Xena?" The older woman put a hand to her cheek. "You do feel warm."

"We all feel warm, Mother, the world is melting."

Cyrene shot her sarcastic daughter a look of steel. "I think you had better get some rest. You are going to take a nice long nap." As she spoke, she yanked Xena up to her feet and lugged her across the hardwood floor toward the door.

"But, Mother, I have to go check on Draco, and make sure that Giannis is still secured."

"Iolaus can do all of that. If there is a problem I’ll come and get you."

Toris’ sewn and battered lips were drawn in a broad grin as his sister was ushered out of the room, protesting all of the way. He could still hear her in the hallway griping that she had just gotten out of bed as he settled in for a nap of his own.

 

Chapter 22

 

Behind a supply hut and on the other side of a sturdy bridge over a fishing stream that tricked down the nearby mountain, was a small pasture used for fighting practice for the warriors of the trading village. Since the official practice called by the general was not until much later in the day, there were only a few hearty amazons sparring. The late night of dancing kept the rest in bed. Those who were dedicated wanted to get in a good practice now, before the heat of the day settled over the village.

Kiriaki noticed the bard stomping over the bridge followed by Stavroula and her usual gang. Cassa brought up the back and had a scowl on her normally relaxed face.

"What is it, Kiriaki?"

"Trouble," answered the amazon as she lowered the sword she held poised against her mock opponent. Her dusky blue eyes took in the scene as Gabrielle stopped and turned to face Stavroula, staff raised. Kiriaki was a higher rank than any of the amazons present so the other pairs of amazons moved out of her way as she headed straight for the new arrivals.

Stavroula had removed her sword and was picking out a staff from the pile of training weapons nearby. The crowd acknowledged Kiriaki as she approached and stood a little taller. Gabrielle ignored her and stared at Stavroula. "What is taking you so long. I thought this was what you wanted."

"What is going on here?" asked the leader.

"Stavroula was challenged to a fight by the visiting queen, Kiriaki."

Dark blue eyes bore into the amazon that had answered. "Was I talking to you?"

"I don’t know, Kiriaki. I wasn’t looking at you when you spoke, so I didn’t see who was being addressed." The red haired amazon held her leader’s gaze, tenuously.

Kiriaki finally turned her attention back to Stavroula. "I was asking you, Stavroula."

The amazon had found a staff to her liking and was walking back to where Gabrielle waited. "Well, Stella is right, Kiriaki. The mouthy queen issued a challenge. I intend to meet that challenge."

Kiriaki took a deep breath. This would not be allowed. Much as she wanted to see Stavroula tear into the green-eyed bard in a fair fight, she knew that Queen Tasia and General Athanasia would have her butt if anything happened to their new royal playmate.

"No. You’ll do no such thing."

"But she challenged me," said Stavroula marching over to Kiriaki. Gabrielle who added her own plea joined her.

"She’s been asking for it since I got here. You can’t stop me Kiriaki."

Kiriaki looked back and forth between the two. She decided to start with Stavroula. "I don’t care if she called your mother a centaur-lover. You are not going to fight her."

She turned her dark blue gaze to the shorter bard. "And if you are going to try pulling rank on me, I’ll just have to escort you to Queen Tasia and I think you know she will be against this...match."

"Then why don’t you and I go at it." The blonde swung at the amazon who was spoiling her chance to work off some of her frustrations and found her staff caught and removed from her grasp with a sharp twist.

"We may, some day, Queen Gabrielle. But it will be when I say," came the low answer. "In the meantime," she handed the bard back her staff, "Be more careful who you poke with your staff."

Stavroula and her friends had already broken up into smaller muttering groups when Gabrielle left the field, wiping her brow and glowering at Cassa who still stood at the edge of the bridge.

"You were a lot of help," she said.

"What did you want me to do, Gabrielle?" Cassa asked, following the fiery blonde back towards the huts.

"You are an amazon of this village. You could have stood up for me and convinced Kiriaki to let me beat Stavroula like a rug."

"Gabrielle, that I could not have done, even if I wanted to. Kiriaki is a higher rank than I and her decision is final. If you want so much to fight Stavroula then take your plea to the queen."

Gabrielle pictured herself informing Tasia that she wanted to challenge an idiotic and aggressively horny amazon warrior to a fight. Suddenly she realized she had lost her mind.

"I’m sorry Cassa. I think this heat is getting to me."

Cassa’s posture relaxed and she breathed easier. She offered to carry the blankets and walk Gabrielle over to Voula’s hut. The bard was about to answer her when a commotion of whoops and yells mixed with pounding hooves and scraping wheels closed in on the village.

Cassa pulled Gabrielle off to the side of the road as a pair of dark stallions pulled a rumbling wagon into the sleepy village. The two amazons at the helm of the wagon made every inhuman noise imaginable at the loudest volume they could. Gabrielle gasped when she recognized the dark-haired amazon holding the reins. She screamed out her name but her call was drowned out.

When the cart came to an abrupt stop in front of the queen’s hut, Gabrielle ran to catch up with the arrivals, fighting the urge to jump and skip on the way.

"Solari," she called again. This time the amazon heard her and searched the village for the familiar voice.

"Queen Gabrielle, what in Tartarus are you doing here?"

"That was quite an entrance you made Solari. No wonder these amazons don’t have much respect for our village."

Solari jumped from the buckboard and embraced her queen. "They are used to me around here. But if they aren’t showing the proper regard to my queen ...."

"They are wonderful," answered Gabrielle, pulling away enough to look at Solari’s face and reveling in its familiarity.

Solari wore her usual serious face but her eyes sparkled with mischief. "Seriously, why are you here? Where is Xena?"

"Xena isn’t here, Solari. She had a problem in Amphipolis to take care of and she thought it was too dangerous for me."

"But why did she leave you here instead of with us?" The dark amazon felt her queen’s body tense at the question, but before she got an answer, Queen Tasia and her general walked out from behind the door flap of the Queen’s hut.

"Solari and Antigone, may I welcome you both to our humble and quiet village," said Tasia in her most regal tone. "General Athanasia, for the high crime of disturbing that peace at this ungodly hour, would you please place these two in irons."

Solari released Gabrielle from the embrace. "I beg the Queen’s forgiveness and I offer myself to her service to make amends," said the amazon, who bowed before Tasia.

"Hey, that’s my job," said the amused general.

 

Chapter 23

 

Up to this point, Antigone had remained seated on the wagon enjoying her anonymity. Gabrielle, having heard plenty of innuendo pass between Tasia and Athanasia since her arrival, was much more curious about the new apprentice of Voula’s from her own amazon village. Gabrielle recognized her but remembered no conversations with the younger woman.

Antigone’s round face and large pale eyes seemed at odds with her dark leather attire, at once innocent and fierce. Her sky blue eyes blinked and it was as though the innocence disappeared and returned. The bard introduced herself to the newcomer.

"I know who you are, Queen Gabrielle. You are my inspiration." The young woman’s exuberance surprised her queen.

Gabrielle motioned for the apprentice to come closer and Antigone leaped from the wagon and landed with a light bounce. The bard explained that she was not there in any official capacity and that she would be sharing a room with both student healers. Antigone asked the blonde why she was not being given better accommodations.

"Here I am not the queen, Antigone, I am just another visiting amazon, like you. And I want no special treatment."

Gabrielle saw Cassa strolling up to meet her and she quickly introduced the two. Cassa greeted the new apprentice and rearranged the bundle of soft maroon blankets to reach out and offer her arm.

"Antigone, would you do me a favor and take these blankets over to Voula’s hut? It is right over there," the bard said, pointing out one of the larger huts across the way. Antigone nodded vigorously and grabbed the armload from Cassa. Gabrielle watched her go, chuckling. Cassa asked what was so funny.

"She says I inspire her, but she is dressed just like Xena. Although she acts more like I do."

"Gabrielle, are you still bothered by what happened with Stavroula?"

"No. Well, I do have to think about why she made me so angry, I really let her get to me. Why do you ask?"

"Because she is coming this way."

The tall amazon with dark blonde hair arrived with only a portion of her entourage and still held the practice staff she had chosen for her match with Gabrielle, and her sword was now back at her side as well. General Athanasia immediately forgot about bantering with Solari and Tasia and watched Stavroula make an entrance.

Athanasia stepped to the side to keep her young warrior in sight as she made her way up to the queen’s hut, her fellow warriors hanging back slightly. "What is it, Stavroula?"

"General, My Queen," she said with exaggerated respect. Both Tasia and Athanasia rolled their eyes. "I have a request."

Stavroula stood tall and silent, and felt the curiosity flow around her.

"Out with it," ordered the general, who pulled a few curly dark strands out of her eyes.

"I was challenged to a fight this morning," she said, pausing for effect. "By Queen Gabrielle."

All eyes turned to the bard, who looked back at them pair by pair. Solari’s more than hinted at amused surprise. Tasia’s wore concern. Athanasia’s spoke of complete understanding. The general sidled up to Gabrielle and whispered in her ear, "Do you think you can take her? I’d love to see somebody take the big brat down a peg."

Gabrielle relaxed into a devilish grin. "I don’t know if I can take her, but I know I could get in a few good licks."

The ignored amazon cleared her throat. "General?"

"Yes, Stavroula, continue."

"A superior informed me that such a match would not be appropriate, so I thought that perhaps a match between myself and a proxy might be allowed. Since we now have in our midst one of the visiting queen’s warrior’s I thought...."

"Wait just a second." The bard’s voice was loud. "You want to fight Solari?"

"Yes. If it will be allowed." Stavroula fought down a smirk. She knew she was really starting to make the blonde crazy.

"Who told you that you couldn’t have a contest?" Athanasia asked Gabrielle.

"Kiriaki."

"Do you want to spar with Stavroula?"

"More than ever."

Athanasia looked to Solari and Tasia for any signs of dissension. The dark amazon shrugged and the queen searched Gabrielle for any hint of uncertainty. Finding none, she nodded at Athanasia.

"Fine. In the amazon tradition, we will have a contest between the two parties. You have chosen the staff, Stavroula?"

"Sure, I do want to be fair about this."

"Let’s cross the bridge."

*********************

Stavroula and Gabrielle faced off in the center of a growing circle of amazons. Word spread through the village about the match and those who hadn’t gotten up to see what all the noise caused by Solari’s and Antigone’s entrance was, dragged themselves out of bed to see the fight.

The merchants were mostly all rooting for the bard, even though she was from another village. Everyone had suffered some sort of insult from Stavroula’s young gang of warriors. They had never hurt anyone or physically bullied them, but their antics were childish and annoying.

The warriors, on the other hand, were divided. Many of the older, more seasoned warriors in the village, were embarrassed by the unruly youngsters, yet they had no desire to see one of their own beaten by a bard queen from outside their village. Only a few young cohorts sided wholeheartedly with Stavroula.

Standing a full head taller than Gabrielle, Stavroula peered down at her competitor. Amazons formed a circle around the pair on the hard dirt of the practice area. Gabrielle drank from a water skin already feeling the heat of the mid morning sun. Now that she was here and she was going to get her chance to land some blows on brawny amazon flesh, she couldn’t remember what had made her so angry in the first place.

The green eyes searched the crowd. There had to be a hundred or more women surrounding them. Cassa, Solari, Tasia and Athanasia were bunched together and Gabrielle watched as the two apprentices, and Voula joined them. The healer held up a fist at Gabrielle then mouthed the words, Just watch your nose.

"You better warm up," said a deep voice from behind. The bard turned to see Kiriaki standing with her hands on her hips.

"What do you care?"

"Hey, I’m here to referee. It is my job to see that both contestants come out of this in one piece."

"You are the referee? Oh, that’s just great." The blonde wondered where Xena was and if she was facing any danger at that moment. The Xena in her head told her to ignore who had given her the good advice and just follow it. The blonde swung her staff to loosen up her muscles and bounced a little to get her blood moving.

The combatants made their way to face each other. Kiriaki explained the rules of the match to them, concentrating on making sure Gabrielle was paying attention.

"No blows when your opponent is down. And no one but you can stop the fight. To do that you must either drop your staff or pat the ground, like this," she said bending down to slap the dirt with her palm twice in rapid succession.

"Are you ready?"

They both nodded.

The referee stepped back and shouted, "Amazons...fight!"

 

Chapter 24

 

The raven-haired warrior rinsed the filthy headband in a bucket. After Cyrene had pushed her into a room and closed the door with an order to sleep, Xena had swiftly changed into her leathers and jumped out the window. Iolaus would take care of Draco, she knew, and Giannis was safely locked up in a neighbor’s shed. That freed the warrior to spend some time with Argo.

The mare had been brushed, fed, and murmured to. Xena had shooed as many flies away from the pestered war-horse and found herself being swatted as well. After getting an unclear response after asking Argo if she was getting on the horse’s nerves as well, the tall woman left the stable to find some other use for her time.

Now she squatted over a bucket of well water, washing her sweat from Gabrielle’s shredded underwear. She found herself wondering if the bard was surviving the stay with her family. She could just imagine all the questions they would hound her with. "Better her than me," she said with a chuckle.

At least she is safe. It turns out she was even more of a target than I thought she might be. Her strong hands wrung out the excess water from the cloth and she felt some of her guilt over having sent the bard home wash away as well. But something Ares had said bothered her. He had said that Gabrielle was popular at the moment. Xena hung her headband on a branch to dry. She pondered what the war god meant by that.

Perhaps the single men of her village were courting Gabrielle. That’s all right. She is a grown woman, she can take care of herself. Unless of course she is enjoying their attentions. Her brow furrowed and her lips pursed. Maybe she is pretending to like them and even doing more to get even with me.

Xena felt her heart thump and her legs were pacing her back and forth before the tree. "Wait a minute, calm down," she said to herself as she forced her body to slow. "Gabrielle won’t do anything stupid. And if kissing a few local boys makes her feel like she got even with, me, well so what? I can handle that."

The warrior mentally patted herself on the back for having foiled Ares again. This is getting easier, she thought. Leaning her lithe torso against the trunk of the tree which used to house her tree house and now held her prized headband out to dry, the proud warrior settled in for that nap after all.

 

*********************

 

"Xena! Come quick!"

Celeste’s voice rung in her ears jolting Xena out of her deep sleep. The heat of the day had filtered through the shade and made her groggy and unbalanced as she stood. After the dizziness passed, she ran to the back door of the inn, her long legs taking powerful strides. Celeste was calling her name again and Xena followed the sound to the common room.

She found the healer kneeling over the body of Cyrene. Xena dove to her mother’s side, searching for injuries with her eyes and her hands. There were no bumps, blood, or signs of internal or external injuries.

"What happened?"

"We were sitting here talking, when she stood up to get some more water. She clutched at her chest and her eyes rolled back in her head. She just collapsed to the floor."

Xena placed her head on her mother’s chest, then placed a hand at her nose. "Her heart is beating normally, but a little weak. Her breathing is fine."

"I know. It could be just exhaustion after everything she’s been through. Your mother is strong, Xena, but she isn’t as young as she used to be."

"Get the door ahead of me," the warrior said as she picked up the unconscious woman and cradled her like a baby. She followed Celeste into the room where Cyrene was sleeping until Toris was well enough to be moved and placed her gently on to the bed. Celeste had loosened Cyrene’s clothing before Xena had found them. Before she could ask her to, Celeste said she was going to get cool water and some cloths.

Xena removed her mother’s shoes and felt her feet. They were warm, telling the dark-haired woman that the circulation was good. She found a parchment nearby that her mother had been using to total up expenses and used it to fan the older woman with fresh air. "It’s all right, Mother. I know you are tired, but I need you to come back here and talk to me. Come on."

Celeste hurried in with a bucket and rags. She dipped a soft cloth and placed it at her friend’s brow, talking to her gently. "Cyrene, wake up. Xena’s here, she needs to tell you something."

The healer left the head of the bed and found a light sheet on a shelf. She flung it open and laid it over Cyrene tucking it around her chest but under her arms. "Come on, Cyrene. I know you are okay, but your daughter is getting worried."

The healer patted her friend’s hand while Xena stood nearby fanning the two with the parchment. They both saw some of the color returning to Cyrene’s face. Xena dropped her fan and moved to Cyrene’s side.

"Mother?" Her name was spoken so soft it melted into the air.

The older woman’s eyes were moving in their haven beneath their lids. Xena caressed the side of her face and Celeste continued to tap the back of her hand. "That’s it. Come and say hello to your little girl."

Xena, encouraged by her mother’s signs of improvement, took a second away from her concern to look askance at the healer. "Ask her, Xena. I’m sure she still thinks of you that way."

Cyrene’s chest began to rise and fall with increased vigor and soon after her eyes blinked open and she looked at the two worried faces hovering over her.

"What’s wrong? Is Toris all right?"

*********************

After a few minutes of being questioned about every sensation she had felt during the last week, Cyrene fell asleep. The two caretakers compared notes and thoughts about their patient. They finally concluded that Cyrene’s episode, although frightening was not terribly serious. Xena was concerned most about her mother having grabbed her chest before losing consciousness but Cyrene remembered no pain nor was she in any now. So she tried to put it out of her mind.

"Should I tell Toris what happened."

"Yes, he’ll notice when she doesn’t come to see him. If you try to lie, he’ll just think the worst. Tell him the truth. It isn’t that bad, you know. She just needs to rest."

"She needs to have more help around here, though."

"That is true. You and your brother can come up with a solution, I’m sure. Why don’t you go see if he is awake."

Xena was on her way out the door when a thought crossed her mind. "Celeste, you have been here for more than a week. Isn’t there anything you need to attend to?"

"No, Xena. Although, I could use an afternoon off."

"When I get back from checking on Toris, I’ll watch Mother."

"Thank you, Xena. If it were anyone else’s hands I was leaving her in, I don’t think I would take you up on the offer."

 

Chapter 25

 

Gabrielle heard Xena talking to her above the screams of the surrounding amazons and she followed her instructions to surprise her opponent. The bard swung hard with an overhead right that turned out to be a fake as she stopped in mid air to come up with her left and catch Stavroula’s right side. Stavroula winced but countered immediately with a quick succession of blows all aimed at Gabrielle’s head.

The shorter blond blocked them all. The two circled each other kicking up lots of dust from the dry earth and building up a thin sheen of sweat for it to stick to. The crowd’s cheers softened as it became apparent that there would not be a fast and furious finish to the match. They saved their voices and their strength.

Stavroula’s staff came whipping at Gabrielle who almost didn’t make the block in time. As it was, her opponent’s staff scraped along the bard’s grazing her knuckles as it did. The shorter woman wasted no time in countering as she spun her body around and slammed her staff into the dirty blonde’s thigh.

"That had to sting," said Tasia to Athanasia as they watched from the side. Then the queen nudged the general and motioned over to where Polixeni had joined the spectators, standing next to Voula. Athanasia just shook her head while Tasia wiggled her eyebrows and grinned. A yelp brought them back to the action.

Stavroula had caught Gabrielle with a glancing strike to the shoulder. The tall warrior didn’t wait to catch a breath and savor her hit. She came right back and took aim at the bard’s knees.

Gabrielle jumped over the staff and rolled in the dirt. She only came part way up and from the crouch, she took Stavroula’s legs out from under her. The amazons were still cheering Stavroula’s hit when Gabrielle’s brought them back over to her side.

Kiriaki stepped in front of the bard until Stavroula made her way back to her feet. Then she backed off allowing the match to resume. The air felt like it was on fire as the participants sucked it down into their lungs. Gabrielle made a few lunges at Stavroula who was now a little more wary of the shorter woman and made use of her longer reach to keep the bard at bay.

When she saw an opening, the big amazon went for it, but Gabrielle moved at the last second and got in a good shot as the taller woman went by. Again, Kiriaki was before her, in case she forgot the rule against hitting when your opponent is down. Gabrielle leaned against her staff and took deep breaths as she and every one there watched Stavroula lift her face out of the dirt.

"You are going to pay for that but good, little queen." The warrior wiped the grime from her cheek with her free hand. "I was going easy on you so as not to mess up that pretty face for later. Not anymore."

The pair began to fight in earnest, both smiling broadly when they landed or blocked a good shot. Gabrielle could see the respect building in Stavroula’s eyes, though the tall amazon continued to mock her verbally.

Someone from the crowd screamed out Gabrielle’s name with a hysterical pitch. The blonde turned to see what was wrong leaving her open to Stavroula who struck her in the ribs. Gabrielle doubled over in pain. The audience near the amazon who shouted became silent and looked to her for an explanation. The woman, one of Stavroula’s gang, shrugged and said, "Her boot lace was coming untied."

Gabrielle was on her knees, her right hand balancing her with her fighting staff, the other hand holding her side. Kiriaki stood between her and Stavroula and Gabrielle could make out Kiriaki’s voice above the spectators’. "If I find out you had that planned, Stavroula, so help me I’ll...."

Between gasps for air the taller amazon asked, "You’ll what?"

"I’ll shove that staff so far up you that you’ll be shitting splinters for weeks."

Gabrielle raised her eyebrows at the statement as she struggled to catch her breath. She made it to her feet and caught a glimpse of her friends cheering her. Stavroula stepped in and swung for the bard’s head nearly catching it as it ducked out of the way. Gabrielle knew her reflexes were slowing. She wanted to quit now, but she had something to prove.

She aimed at her opponent’s chin with the end of her staff and almost connected. When she missed she lost her balance and wound up on her knees again. A part of her wanted so badly to stay down, but she knew that Xena would never give up in a fight so she pulled herself back up.

Stavroula saw the condition of the woman and backed off not wanting to continue. There was no need. In her own way the bard had already won by having proved herself capable beyond what any of the amazons had thought, with the possible exceptions of Solari and Antigone. She looked around her and focused on the general who motioned her to strike once more, but mouthed the word Easy. Athanasia felt that if the bard went down once more she would not be able to get back up. Stavroula nodded and stepped up to aim a gentle blow to gain her victory yet allow the smaller amazon to lose like the warrior she now believed her to be.

One swing was blocked by the gasping blonde and another slightly harder one was also blocked. The tall warrior sent her staff in an upward arc toward the bard’s arm seeing that it would connect and send the bard to the ground without causing her any more injuries. Instead she felt the staff freeze in mid air. She turned around to see the referee holding the back end of the staff.

Kiriaki pulled the weapon and the woman holding it away from the bard. The surrounding amazons were stunned into silence. Kiriaki let go of the staff and took aim at Stavroula’s face with her fist. In pure reflex, the taller amazon lifted the staff to block the blow. Kiriaki’s knuckles snapped the stave in two and continued on to flatten the warrior’s nose.

Gabrielle sunk to the ground and watched as her nemesis landed like a felled tree and her other nemesis stalked off.

Cassa was to her first, asking if she was all right, Voula appeared next to feel gingerly at her ribs. But the healer was soon off to check on Stavroula’s unconscious form. The blonde just sat there repeating one word: wow.

********************

Solari sat at the end of Gabrielle’s cot as she watched her queen sip cool water. "That was quite a show you put on, my Queen. I think you would have beat her too if they hadn’t cheated." The dark amazon increased the volume on the last word to get a rise out of Gabrielle’s temporary roommate in the healer’s hut.

Stavroula answered back, "Hey, I had no idea she was going to do that. I didn’t cheat."

"It doesn’t matter either way. I lost," said the bard.

"Of course it matters. You were quite impressive out there. I don’t think any one wants to mess with you any time soon." Solari shook Gabrielle’s ankle to make sure she was listening.

Gabrielle held her tongue. She didn’t want to hear any more empty reassurances.

"She’s right you know," Stavroula said from behind the same kind of wet compress Gabrielle had been holding to her nose only days before. "I do not want a rematch. Although I didn’t cheat," said the warrior looking hard at Solari for that instant. "I did get in a lucky shot because you were distracted. If I hadn’t.... I won’t say you might have beaten me, but it would have taken a lot longer to beat you."

Gabrielle took that in. It would seem that she didn’t have to win to be seen as capable. She had earned some respect despite having lost a fight. I wonder what Xena would say about this, she thought.

Chapter 26

 

Toris took the news well. He trusted his sister to tell him the truth and from what she said, Cyrene would be fine after some rest. They talked about his injuries and he convinced her that he was feeling well enough to get up for the evening meal and be moved to another room so their mother could get her own bed back.

"Where is Gabrielle, Xena?"

"She is in Poteidaia."

"Is she going to meet you here?" He sensed that his sister was uncomfortable with the direction of his questions, so he continued.

"No. Once everything is settled I’ll go get her."

"I see. So then, everything is fine between you two. Good. Glad to hear it." He knew the opposite was true. He could read it all over his sister’s blank face.

The warrior got up and told her brother she was going to go see Cyrene and give Celeste a break.

"Good idea, Xena. Oh, Xena? Before you go?" he called out to her just as she made the turn into the hallway.

She peeked her head back in.

"Maybe you should send her a message?"

"What are you talking about, Toris?"

"Gabrielle. Maybe you should send her a message that you are going to be here a little while longer than you expected. Women like that."

Xena sighed. "Toris, I am a woman. I think I would know what women liked."

"If you say so," he mumbled, once he heard her bootsteps fade into the distance.

**********************

Xena kept watch over her mother’s bed while Celeste went and did whatever it was she needed to do. Cyrene’s color was back to normal and her breathing was steady. Steadier than her daughter’s who was worried about her and about the woman she had left behind.

Something inside her told her that Toris was right. Gabrielle would appreciate some sign from Xena that she was alive and thinking of her and coming to get her as soon as possible. The ebony-haired woman looked more closely at Cyrene. She couldn’t be sure how much longer she would have to stay in Amphipolis. Once she left to get Gabrielle, she would have to come straight back and take care of finding someone to help her mother around the inn.

But what would she say then, in such a note. It would end up being of little use to the blonde. Hi, I don’t know when I’m coming for you. See you when I see you. Something like that would only make matters worse.

Xena stood up to pace but heard her footsteps on the hard wood floor. She tried softening her steps but even the whisper of her boots hitting the wood made her cringe. Waking up Cyrene was not an option. She sat back down on the sturdy chair and slipped the leather coverings from her feet. Once barefoot, the warrior tiptoed over to the window and looked for something to occupy her mind.

Nothing out there but another stinking hot day. She turned back to look around the room. Simple furniture. Simple walls. Simple floors. One leg on one chair looked a little warped. With a few tools, she could fix that right up.

Yeah, and how am I gonna do that silently? Then she saw the parchment that she had used to give Cyrene fresh air and remembered seeing figures written on it. A floorboard creaked on her way to pick it up from the corner where it had wound up. She stopped in mid-step, moved her foot over and continued.

This is silly. I can sneak into fortresses, past battle defenses, and into the private chambers of kings without fear, but I can’t even walk in my mother’s room for fear of waking her up.

Finally the warrior returned to her seat and began to study the writing. The inn was staying afloat but not exactly raking in the dinars. She wondered how Cyrene would be able to afford paying new help.

Celeste returned and looked refreshed when she came to replace Xena at Cyrene’s bedside. The warrior heard her coming and got up to meet her outside the bedroom door. "How is she?" asked the healer.

"Good. She didn’t wake up but the sleep will do her good. Can I talk to you, Celeste?"

The healer nodded and Xena followed her out to a table in the corner of the common room. They were able to speak at normal volume there but Xena still kept her voice low.

"Celeste, does the inn do a good business?

"From what I see it does, Xena. Is something wrong?"

"I looked at mother’s figures for the past month and she does all right, but not as good as she should."

Celeste looked at Xena and waited for more. The warrior looked back and for the first time noted how green Celeste’s eyes were. "I want to hire someone to help out around here. I know Mother has women who help during the busy periods, but I think she should have someone full time to help with the cleaning and the cooking."

"I see. And you think she can’t afford it. But you think that she is not making the money she could either."

"That’s right."

"Well, she does have a soft spot for some of the older folk who come in here and drink ales to fill up their time. I think she gives them two for one more often than not. And she gives many a traveler a free meal when she sees they are in need."

"Hmmm. Thank you, Celeste. I’ll have to figure something out."

"Do you think your mother will be all right alone for a while?" A nod was Xena’s answer.

"Then will you help me prepare food for your family?"

"Sure. Let me just go get something and I’ll be right there." The warrior felt the heat smack her as she left the dark interior of the inn. She wondered how much more of this heatwave the area could withstand. She felt a little dizzy on her way over to the tree. There were no sounds of repairs in the village and no calls of children playing in the lengthening shadows.

Xena looked up into the home of her old tree house and saw a few boards still hanging on to a branch. Instead of her usual sense of loneliness and loss, she felt a little more at peace. Her hand plucked the dry headband from where she’d wrapped it around a twig. That reminded her of the only thing missing.

 

Chapter 27

 

Gabrielle was falling into the routine of the village. Her nose was completely healed and her ribs were feeling much better. It was nearly two weeks since Xena left her in Dherveni. It had been four days since her fight with Stavroula and the two, although not old friends seemed to have an understanding. All of the warriors held the visiting queen in a much higher regard. And the merchants treated her like she was one of their own who had shown the warriors a thing or two. The only one who avoided her was Kiriaki. Every time the bard saw her the warrior turned the other way or began giving orders to her amazons.

Solari had stuck around and was spending time with Gabrielle although she was to leave the following day. She wouldn’t admit it, but Gabrielle thought the reason she stayed for so long this trip had something to do with a special amazon that the tight-lipped warrior had an eye on.

Never the less, the pair of visiting amazons spent some time each day at the waterfall with Cassa and some of Cassa’s friends. The weaver was pretty popular among the merchants in her age group and introduced Gabrielle and Solari to many friendly amazons. Gabrielle wondered which one Solari liked as she made her way back to Voula’s.

The workload for the bard was light but she was busy almost every moment of the day. In the morning, she would help Voula organize her lessons. Once the apprentices were up and fed, the blonde would listen in on Voula’s instruction, often taking notes. Then, while the apprentices would go off to study, Gabrielle would help the healer clean and prepare meals.

When the students ate their midday meals, Gabrielle would take hers to the waterfall and relax with her friends. She’d return in time to sit in on the afternoon lecture and eat her evening meal with one of her friends. Last night she dined with Tasia, while tonight she had plans with Solari.

Gabrielle entered Voula’s hut still dripping from her swim. She grabbed an odd fuzzy fruit that they got by trading with a distant village. Once you got past the scratchy brown skin, it had a sweet but seedy green inside. "Tasty," she said. For some reason, it reminded her of Xena.

It had been far too long for things to have gone smoothly in Amphipolis. Gabrielle was beginning to worry about her friend and her family. Solari had promised today at lunch that she would pass by Amphipolis on her way back home. If there was a serious problem, she swore to Gabrielle that she would come back and get her.

"What is tasty, my friend?"

The bard swallowed her mouthful. "This funny looking fruit. What’s it called?"

"We don’t know. The amazons who trade it to the amazons who trade with us speak with such an odd accent that they can’t figure out what they are saying most of the time. They end up using hand signals to communicate."

"Huh. Maybe Xena will know what it is when she gets here."

"You are worried about Xena aren’t you?"

"Voula, I am." The bard wiped the juice from her chin with the back of her hand. "I know we had a fight but she must miss me like I miss her. She would have come for me by now if everything were fine."

The healer sensed the truth in what her new friend said. As hard as it was sometimes for Voula to listen to the stories Gabrielle told of her relationship with the warrior princess, she had no doubt that their bond was strong, and that Xena would return for Gabrielle.

"Perhaps she will send a message."

Gabrielle smiled. "Solari is going to take one to her for me."

"That’s right. Amphipolis is not far off the path to your village." Voula smiled back at Gabrielle, finding her happiness infectious. But Voula’s smile weakened quickly.

"She is leaving tomorrow, isn’t she?"

"Yes. Why?"

The healers gray eyes were round and she looked softer and younger. "I guess I just have to face it. I have a kind of a crush on her."

Once the bard replayed the statement over in her head a few times, she was sure there was no other way to construe it. "Okay. What about...I mean when did..."

Voula laughed and slapped the table. "It’s okay, Gabrielle. I’m not expecting anything to come of it. Just because Polixeni likes women twenty years her senior doesn’t mean I think every amazon will."

"I don’t know. I mean, maybe Solari does like you. I mean, that way." Gabrielle reached a hand out to touch Voula’s arm.

"Gabrielle, you are so sweet. I am not upset. I have found Solari attractive for a couple of years, since she started coming here for trade. But then I was seeing Polixeni and we decided we would be monogamous. Now that we are separated, I am starting to feel a bit more impetuous."

"Oh," said the bard.

"’Oh’ is right. I want to tell her how I feel, but I can never seem to catch her alone."

"Well," the blonde began, wondering as she spoke whether she should get involved. "She and I are eating our evening meal together at the waterfall. I could bring her by for tea afterward and then conveniently remember an errand I forgot to run."

Voula was about to argue with the bard’s plan when she realized how perfect it was. "Okay, let’s do it. I don’t want to have to wait for the next time she comes to town. By then I might be back with Polixeni."

Gabrielle cocked her head and narrowed her eyes at the older amazon wondering whether to take her seriously and whether or not it should make a difference.

"Yes, Gabrielle, I was kidding," came the answer as Voula walked out of the kitchen with a fuzzy fruit in her hand and a spring in her step.

*********************

After a few dozen tries at tying splints on each other, the apprentice’s fingers were aching. Gabrielle winced as she waved to her fellow students. She followed the hidden path to the waterfall where Solari waited for her.

The pair opened sacks to compare the foods they had brought to share. Solari produced a loaf of hearty bread and a wedge of sharp cheese. From Gabrielle’s pouch appeared some pan-fried trout and a small pastry. Two happy amazons feasted and caught up on gossip from home.

"Ephiny is sleeping with her? No way." Gabrielle felt like she was 16 again.

"Uh huh. And she says she might be ‘the one.’" Solari dangled her legs off the ledge and felt tickles as the mist from the falls rose up to cling to the fine hairs on her knees. She chuckled a little, then added, "But she said that about the last one too."

"You know, Solari, I like you like this. I’ve never seen you so relaxed before."

"Face it Gabrielle, when you’re around there usually isn’t much time or reason to relax. There is always something going on." The amazon took a moment to consider before continuing. "Even here, that first day, there was a pretty big incident."

"Yeah. I bet you were surprised."

"I was. I’ve never seen you like that. You were so.... aggressive."

"I know. I surprised myself." Gabrielle decided to sit like her friend and feel the spray on her toes. "Ooo. That feels good. I don’t know what I’d do if this weren’t here. Except for that shower three nights ago, we haven’t had rain in weeks. It felt a little cooler today, didn’t it?"

Solari agreed with her queen. She looked out over the forest before her. Through some trees she could make out a road and beyond that just more trees. She had to admit that there was something about this village that did make her extra relaxed.

"Queen Gabrielle, may I ask you a personal question?"

"Yes Solari, but I asked you to call me Gabrielle. At least when we are alone."

"Sorry." The warrior leaned back on her elbows and looked up at the darkening blue of the sky. "Why did you fight Stavroula, anyway? You said yourself that it surprised even you."

Gabrielle thought back to that day. She decided to leave out the part where Stavroula accidentally reminded her that Xena had gone looking elsewhere for ...whatever, since they had been intimate. What had really angered her was the way the tall amazon had called her little and talked to her like she was Xena’s property. She filled Solari in on her memory.

"So she thought you were nothing more than a sidekick?"

"Yes. Something that I know bothers me, so I shouldn’t have reacted so strongly. I am aware that people think I am a tag-a-long. Xena promised me a while ago that she would make sure people realized how much I do accomplish." The bard remembered that night they lay looking up at the stars and Xena opened up to her. "I told her all I needed was to hear it from her every once in a while. She told me how important I am to her."

"But what do you care what other people think?" Solari sat back up. "It isn’t like you do the good you do because you are looking for credit."

"No. I don’t care what they think. I just care what Xena thinks."

"It sounded like you cared what Stavroula thought. It really seemed to bother you that these amazons thought you were some puppet queen. I don’t see why you care, Gabrielle. Even about what Xena thinks. What is most important is what you think."

Gabrielle looked at Solari like she had snakes for hair and the were doing a Bacchae dance around her head.

"What I think? How am I supposed to know what to think? I don’t have any experience at any of this."

Solari placed her hand on the bard’s shoulder. "You have experience at being you, Gabrielle. And from what I can see, that is a pretty good thing to have experience at. You know when you have done the best you could in a situation. That is all anyone can ask of you. You are the one you have to please, because you alone are the one you have to answer to."

It was Gabrielle’s turn to lean back on her elbows. She wanted Xena there to tell her what was right and true. All of these things her new and old friends were telling her felt right, but a lot of it went against everything she had ever believed. And if all this new information was right, then the bard had a lot of thinking to do. And a lot of changing as well.

"Oh Zeus, I forgot. I told Voula we’d stop by for tea."

 

Continued...Part 4


Return to The Bard's Corner

d at Solari like she had snakes for hair and the were doing a Bacchae dance around her head.

"What I think? How am I supposed to know what to think? I don’t have any experience at any of this."

Solari placed her hand on the bard’s shoulder. "You have experience at being you, Gabrielle. And from what I can see, that is a pretty good thing to have experience at. You know when you have done the best you could in a situation. That is all anyone can ask of you. You are the one you have to please, because you alone are the one you have to answer to."

It was Gabrielle’s turn to lean back on her elbows. She wanted Xena there to tell her what was right and true. All of these things her new and old friends were telling her felt right, but a lot of it went against everything she had ever believed. And if all this new information was right, then the bard had a lot of thinking to do. And a lot of changing as well.

"Oh Zeus, I forgot. I told Voula we’d stop by for tea."

 

Continued...Part 4


Return to The Bard's Corner