The Journey Home

by Tonya Muir

(See part one for pertinent disclaimers)

Part 5 (Conclusion)

Gabrielle was eating her dinner of more broth soaked bread, sitting cross legged next to Xena, their elbows and knees touching. Xena ate some dried meat with delicate fingers and seemingly complete concentration.

"What are we going to do with Mara?" Gabrielle asked at last, turning her attention to the young girl sleeping on their bedrolls on the other side of the fire.

"Find her family," Xena shrugged. "What else can we do?"

"How are we going to find her family?" the bard asked incredulously. One little blonde headed girl in all of Greece.

"Well, I plan on wringing Antius's neck. That's a good place to start I think," she never moved her eyes from the stringy meat which she now pulled apart into smaller pieces before placing them in her mouth. Gabrielle studied her partner's sharply planed features for some kind of insight to the inner thoughts.

"I feel responsible for her. I don't want to leave her with Gregor or someone else," the bard said with a gentle defiance.

Xena cast a look to her partner, a small smile playing on her lips. "Either do I, Gabrielle. We'll take her to find her family. Once we get back and settle this Antius mess, I figure it's about time we moved on anyway. They can't have brought her too far. Probably picked her up on the way back from his latest recruitment trip."

"She's beautiful," Gabrielle said softly, looking at the small form partially hidden under blankets.

"Does it hurt to look at her?" Xena asked, directing her attention back to the meat in her hands.

"No ... no. Not at all," the young blonde shook her head, studying her partner for a few long moments, wondering about the reasons behind the question. "You mean because of Hope?"

The warrior nodded.

"I don't regret killing Hope. I regret letting her live as long as I did and giving her the ability to do the things she did. Part of me still loves her because she came from me," the bard tilted her head slightly, wanting the warrior to understand her. "But I know what she was. I'd be fooling myself if I said now that I wished I could have raised her. I don't wish that. In fact, I wish I'd never had her because I would have made the same decisions until I was faced with her inhumanity."

Xena nodded, satisfied with this information, her heart aching at the evident pain in her partner's voice. "But you want another child?"

The bard grinned, blushed slightly. "Maybe ... yeah, I guess so. I just ... I like kids a lot. I like their freedom and honesty and innocence. I like their untainted look at life."

The warrior watched her companion now, finding the emotions playing across her face much more interesting than the dried jerky in her hands. You were that way, my friend, when I first met you. And that's why I loved you so much, even then. I envied you your love of life. I changed all that for you. But her lips remained still as she locked eyes with Gabrielle.

The other woman's mouth curved very slightly and she set down her bowl so she could reach a hand out and place it on her companion's knee. "It wasn't you. I changed a lot just by leaving home. But in some ways, I'm not so different."

Xena blinked at her partner, opened her mouth to say something but stayed that way, without sound, for several long moments. Finally, "I didn't say that out loud ... did I?"

And Gabrielle laughed, clutching her arm against her side at the movement. "No, you didn't. But I saw you think it. Sometimes that ex-warlord I'm-no-good-for-anybody-and-I've-ruined-Gabrielle's-life attitude is predictable."

"That bad, huh?" the warrior looked away meekly.

"No, Xena. I just know how much you care for me and how much you try to protect me. So, naturally, when something happens to me you feel guilty," Gabrielle explained, rubbing her companion's knee with a warm hand.

The warrior nodded, looking back to meet Gabrielle's expressive green eyes, wondering what could be seen in her own eyes. "Are you Gabrielle the bard? Gabrielle the little girl who followed me out of Poteideia? Because you sure seem like a wise old traveler these days," Xena teased gently and got an answering dry chuckle from her friend.

"Sore, stick wielding, horse-falling-off, naive, emotion-thinking, common-sense-lacking -"

"Stop that, bard. You know what I think of you," and to seal the point she leaned forward and kissed Gabrielle very tentatively on the lips.

"Yeah," the bard breathed, barely moving her lips back from her partner's so they touched while she spoke. "And as much as I don't understand it, I sure do like it." Then she kissed her back, gentle, sensual, lightly probing.

Until both of their heartbeats escalated and the small cavern suddenly seemed hot. They broke off, grinning like children, each reaching up to touch the other's face.

"Not in front of the K-I-D," Xena whispered, smiling. Gabrielle smiled back and crawled into Xena's lap to just rest there and feel warm and protected with those long arms wrapped securely around her. Which easily moved them from the lust of moments before to the bone warming love that enveloped them now.

XXXXX

They stayed in the caverns for another day while Gabrielle got back some of the strength she'd lost from their adventure. She was still sore and stiff but was at least able to move around without assistance and without excruciating pain.

That day was spent talking and laughing and playing with little Mara who had warmed up to them tremendously, not again mentioning going home or her mother. However, the dog imitations ensued and were a sure way to get both of these women to laugh at her antics. So like any self respecting toddler, she used it every chance she got until Xena and Gabrielle's faces were thoroughly licked.

Settling down again after dinner that night, Xena lay behind the bard, an arm wrapped around her waist, chin resting on the smaller woman's shoulder. They both watched the sleeping child by the firelight, resting ear to ear.

"Hmmm," Xena hummed after several moments of silence. "I see the appeal."

Gabrielle chuckled softly and squeezed the large bronzed hand at her abdomen. "You would hate it after a few days. Too ... calm. No weapons, no warriors, no battles to be fought or won."

"Still battles, just little ones," Xena smiled, moving her hand from the bard's stomach to hold index finger and thumb apart in an indication of battle size. "Like why we can't go swimming any time we want. And why little girls shouldn't tickle a horse behind the knee."

"Good point."

"Some day," the dark husky voice responded wistfully. I messed it up the first time, I certainly wouldn't make that mistake again.

Gabrielle was quiet for awhile, listening to her partner's breaths by her ear and the crackling of the fire, misinterpreting the warrior's silence. "It would be nice, love. But it doesn't matter. I want to be with you."

"You won't want to travel for your entire life," Xena assured her lover, kissing her tenderly on the cheek.

"With you, Xena. No matter what and no matter where. You can't shake me so easily." Gabrielle tilted her head slightly into the pressure of her partner's lips.

Xena laughed very softly. "I wouldn't ever want to try."

"One day at a time."

"Mmmm," the warrior hummed in agreement and gently kissed Gabrielle's cheek again before closing her eyes and relaxing.

"Gabrielle?"

"Yeah?" the bard blinked into the fire, having to fight back the drowsiness a little.

"Why did you go for Mara in the temple?" this topic had been eating at the warrior since the event.

"I didn't want her to die," Gabrielle said softly, not sure of the real question.

"I know. I mean ... why did you rush out there and start the battle? Didn't you trust me to solve it, adjust the plan to start the battle earlier? And save Mara?"

"Of course I did, Xena," the bard soothed gently, squeezing the arm that surrounded her. "I ... I just wasn't thinking. Like I was in some trance, all I saw was her and I knew I had to help her. I wasn't even thinking about anything else, like what would happen if I went for her. I'm sorry."

Her companion was quiet for a little while.

"I know you wouldn't have let her get killed, Xena. I didn't act because I was afraid you wouldn't. I was just ... it was gut reaction. After everything ... that's happened ... I couldn't stand the thought of another innocent life lost," Gabrielle blinked her eyes tightly to fight the ache in her stomach at the memories and the wetness in her eyes.

Which appeared to be a satisfactory answer to the warrior because she rewarded Gabrielle with a very gentle squeeze and another kiss. "I understand, Gabrielle," she whispered, her voice managing to soothe the knot in the bard's stomach. "Good night, love."

The bard smiled softly, relaxing, "'Night."

XXXXX

They took the long way down the mountain, avoiding both the large encampment and the steep and treacherous trail where the accident had happened days before. This resulted in two days of travel, however, bringing them into the palace courtyard mid afternoon the second day.

Mara had been relatively good for the ride, sitting with one woman and then the other on intervals. Gabrielle rode Argo, not feeling brave enough for Traveler, leaving Xena to ride the large bay gelding. The trip itself had been very uneventful and aside from a few crying sessions by a certain three year old, they'd had no trouble and hadn't met up with any raiding parties or small bands from Antius's army.

But Gabrielle was still exhausted and sore when they finally dismounted onto the cobblestone flooring of the courtyard. And, knowing this, Xena handed over the reins to their horses easily even though she liked to take care of Argo herself. She carried the sleepy child and led Gabrielle by her hand back up to the rooms where they'd stayed what now seemed like eons before.

Once the warrior had her two companions settled into the bed and covered with blankets, they were asleep immediately. Then she went to find Gregor.

XXXXX

Antius was, predictably, being held in a cell in the basement level of the castle. He sat in a corner of the small room, glaring at the walls and the world in general, being hateful to anyone who offered him anything from a word to food or water.

Gregor was heading down the stone hallway towards the stairwell when Xena came around the turn in the stairs to stand right in front of him.

"Xena!" Gregor hugged her and she squeezed him back before stepping away and allowing herself more space. "So glad you're back. How is Gabrielle?"

Xena shrugged one shoulder. "Okay. She's in a lot of pain, especially after two days of riding."

Gregor nodded his understanding. "We've closed the gates, just in case."

"Saw that. Good idea."

"Offered the farmers sanctuary within the walls, but most of them have declined. So far there's been no indication of trouble."

"Has Jykar come back?"

"No, not yet. I'm sure he will," but the large man's expression belied his voiced confidence.

"I'll take a small party out in the morning and see what's going on in the area."

"Thank you, you've done so much already," the larger man squeezed the warrior's forearm and she responded with one of her best smirk and raised eyebrows looks.

"How's our friend?" she asked, ducking the compliment with skill borne from years of practice.

"No friend of mine."

"Nor mine," Xena assured him.

"He's mad at everyone. Not a likable fellow."

"No, not really. Did he tell you anything useful?" Xena asked as she started to move down the hall towards the only guarded door in the basement. She nodded to the guard before peeking in through the barred opening in the door.

"Nah. Worthless."

Xena snorted her agreement. "Mind if I chat with him?"

"Please, help yourself. Dumas and I will wait out here."

"Thanks," she flashed him her even white teeth, then pushed into the small room once Dumas had unlocked the door.

Antius was on his feet in moments, running across the cell. Xena blocked his first swing, let the second one hit her in the face so she could take advantage of the raised arm and punch him hard in the ribs. He bent over, wheezing.

"Bitch," he growled, spittle flying uncontrollably from clenched mouth.

The warrior shrugged, not terribly concerned what this man's opinion of her was. She didn't think too highly of him either.

"Did my men kill your little friend? Is it easier to have your way with a defenseless little girl, Xena? Do you like the power it gives you?" And Xena wondered at the stupidity of the man who yelled his insults still doubled over and barely catching his breath. She took a long stride forward to grab his hair in her fist and yank him upright. He yelped.

"I'm not the person I used to be Antius."

"Coulda fooled me," he sputtered.

She tossed him away, wondering at those words that rang true enough to hurt her. "What's with the stupid religious army front, Antius? You still having trouble with loyal followers?"

The man shrugged, backing away so he leaned against the wall as far away from the dark haired woman as possible. "You know ... good soldiers are hard to find ..."

"Yeah," she scoffed, crossing arms across armored chest. "That's cuz the good ones prefer to follow good warlords."

He pushed himself off the wall as if he was going to come at her again and then thought better of it.

She smiled a tight lipped evil grin. "Good move. Why a child Antius? That was stupid," the warrior growled at him, pinning the frightened man with narrow flashing eyes.

He shrugged weakly. "Seemed like a bigger god ... if the sacrifice was bigger."

"We're holding you here for your army's actions against the people of this valley. We plan to try you on these counts. What do you have to say?"

He shrugged again, defeated, and turned his small eyes away from hers to study the cracks in the wall against which he leaned. "Can't prove it."

"All I have to do is find some of your followers, Antius. I can make them talk, you know that."

He did know. He glanced back at her quietly. "So do it," he said off handedly, his choices were pretty limited as it was anyway.

"I will. Thanks," she grinned at him and he couldn't miss the glint in her eyes. He experienced a quick flash of memory for the woman before him, remembering her leading the strongest army he'd ever seen, remembering the look on her face when she was lost in battle, and also seeing the look on her face when she'd taken him against his will. He shuddered before looking away again.

Xena felt suddenly cold, she knew what he was thinking. She remembered that morning as well. But pushed it away for now so she could move on with her questions. "Tell me about the girl. Your sacrifice."

"Never knew you to have a soft spot for children, Xena. I've seen you kill them."

And perhaps against her better judgment, she lunged across the short distance between them and lifted the man up by his shirt front. She slammed him hard against the wall and heard the door open as Gregor came in to quietly stand behind her.

"Never children, you asshole. Where did you get that little girl?"

His face changed colors fairly rapidly and he squirmed against her restraint but made no progress. "Dunno," he croaked out at last. "One of my men brought her to me, said he'd found her playing in the road. I didn't ask."

Xena took a step back, still holding the man's shirt, then threw him into the wall, watching him slide down the grey stone to crumple on the floor and eye her with a baleful gaze.

Oh, Gabrielle, she thought to herself, feeling suddenly sickened by herself and her actions. Save me from myself. Then she turned and brushed past Gregor and Dumas, running down the hall and up the stairs to find herself, at last, standing at the foot of the bed where Mara and the bard still slept.

She knelt before them, elbows on bed, face in hands, and took big breaths to try and control herself.

"Hey, hey," the bard's soft voice was groggy as she lifted a hand to lay on top of the warrior's head, tangling her fingers in thick black hair. "What is it? Xena?" Gabrielle struggled to sit up but Xena removed her hands from her face to place them gently at her friend's shoulders and press her back to the bed.

"I'm okay ... I just," a deep breath as she stood and walked across the room. "I'm okay."

"No, you're not, Xena," the bard decided to ignore Xena's encouragement to stay in bed and got up, slowly, one hand clutched to her side, to pad across the floor and stand by her companion.

And got a gentle smile as a reward for her effort which she returned gladly. "Tell me?" Gabrielle's soft words touched and warmed her easily.

"I went to see Antius," she leaned on the window sill, looking out into the courtyard and finding Argo back in the paddock she'd inhabited before.

Gabrielle stepped up next to her and rested a hand on her forearm between the warrior's elbow and bracer.

"And ... I guess I'm not as different as I thought I was. Because being there with him I felt all the anger and rage that I used to have."

"You are different, Xena. You're not the person that Antius knew."

"Gabrielle, as much as I appreciate you and what you try to do for me, you know as well as I do that I'm not ... innocent ... or good. Or even kind at times. You've been on the receiving end of the cold calculated person that I am."

The bard tilted her head very slightly as she considered her next words. Yes, she had been. She'd been beaten, hurt, dragged from a horse by the woman before her. Though the woman who'd done those deeds was lost in guilt and anger and pain, it was still Xena's hands that had caused her pain. But Gabrielle had forgiven the warrior for that a long time ago. As hard as it had been to stop flinching when Xena reached to touch her, she'd managed to because her feelings for this woman before her were so incredibly complex. And the warrior had regretted that attack immediately and profoundly. Her soft voice sang for forgiveness and her bright eyes pleaded for understanding.

Somehow, Gabrielle had understood and despite the flinches and occasional subconscious nervous reactions, she really never had feared for her safety before or since. But the bard realized suddenly that just as she still struggled with self forgiveness, so did the warrior at her side.

Now she turned her look very slowly from Argo's golden hide to her partner's profile. The walls were effectively up and solidly in place as the chiseled face revealed nothing. "Xena," she squeezed the woman's arm gently. "We've ... we've been through a lot. And some relationships wouldn't have survived what we have ... but we did because, despite everything, you know my heart. You know that I didn't ..." deep breath as she looked back to Argo " ... didn't want Hope to be who she was. And that I didn't want Solan to ... die. You know me and you forgave me my poor judgments because you knew why I'd made those decisions ... and that I hadn't intended the results.

"And I know your heart. I know that the woman who did those things to me was not you. Not really. And I can see the goodness in you and the person you've become. I know that the woman you want to be is so different from who you were ... that sometimes it causes you a lot of conflict to resolve the actions of that Xena with the morals of today's Xena. And that when you get overwhelmed, frightened, angry, you naturally resort back to that old Xena because it's habit. Now you're fighting to break that habit and it makes you question yourself."

There were several very long moments of silence as neither woman looked at the other.

"I think our real barrier at resolving what's between us is in ourselves. Because I trust you and forgive you. I hold no blame for you. And you feel the same about me?" the bard's query was answered by a nearly imperceptible nod. But it was enough for her to continue. "But I ... I can't forgive myself for the pain I caused you, for taking the life of your son. And you can't forgive yourself for what happened to me."

Another nod.

"I don't think we can help each other make it past that. I think each one of us has to do it for ourselves." Suddenly, it became clear to Gabrielle why they were here at Gregor's, why it had been important to Xena to present her young friend with the library. It was the same reason the warrior had been gentle and tender, offering hugs and support even before their relationship had deepened, asking her about her fears and her nightmares. It was all a part of the grand scheme to make Gabrielle feel good about herself, secure with her feelings, understand her fears and finally, hopefully, that path would lead to self forgiveness.

Finally Xena turned, and the bard did as well, catching the movement out of the corner of her eyes. Xena's eyes had paled to nearly grey and they opened right into her soul, revealing far more of the warrior than Gabrielle had ever seen, confirming what the bard had just realized.

Then Xena grinned something between a smirk and a smile, those eyes changing yet again to a deeper sapphire and twinkling slightly. "You have a way with words, my bard. I think sometimes that you couldn't possibly understand me because we're so very different. And every time I think that, you surprise me by your perceptiveness."

Gabrielle smiled as well, it only took me a fortnight to figure it out, love. Don't go throwing your praise so lightly. But, out loud she said, "Now, what can I do to make you feel better about this whole Antius thing?"

The warrior pushed herself away from the window ledge and pulled her partner into a warm embrace, taking great care with the other woman's ribs. "You already have."

There were several more beats of silence as they soaked in each other's presence. Until, finally, the bard's muffled voice, "Did he say anything about Mara?"

Xena looked over the top of her partner's head at the still sleeping form on the bed. "Nothing worth while. He said one of his men brought her to him ... that he'd found her 'playing in the road.' Antius doesn't know where she came from. But I'll get his path from him in the last couple of days and we'll retrace it."

Gabrielle nodded against the warrior's shoulder.

"How do you feel, love?" Xena asked softly after a few more moments, her warm breath blowing against the bard's fair hair.

"Not great," Gabrielle admitted. "I don't think riding was the best medicine."

"You're right. I'm sorry ... but I wanted to get back as soon as we could and deal with all this."

"I know," the bard assured her, squeezing her lightly. She hadn't meant to complain. "I'm fine."

"Back to bed with you," her partner said gently, taking Gabrielle's arm and leading her over to the bed where she pulled back the covers and pressed the bard to the mattress.

"What happened to your cheek?" the fair woman traced a darkening bruise with soft fingertips.

Xena grinned slightly. "I got in the last punch."

Gabrielle laughed in response. "I guess that's okay, then?"

The warrior nodded.

After a few moments of silence: "Sit with me awhile?" the young blonde asked softly as Xena smoothed back light bangs.

"Yeah," blue eyes met green with familiar intensity, gentle hands continued to stroke the bard's hair. "In fact, let me look at your ribs."

The warrior rummaged through their packs to pull out some items and filled a water basin before returning to sit on the edge of the bed. Then she unbelted the other woman's tunic and pulled the linen up to her neck to expose her wrapped ribs.

"Let me know if I hurt you," she whispered when she began to pull away the hardened linen strips. But her young companion remained silent throughout the ministrations. Once the wrappings were out of the way, Xena gently rubbed a salve into Gabrielle's bruises and ribs, watching her companion's eyes and though she flinched from time to time, she remained quiet.

"Here, sit up," the warrior said after she'd finished with the salve, helping Gabrielle to rise without too much strain on her ribs. Then Xena leaned her chest against the bard's to look over the other woman's shoulder and examine the wounds on her back.

The touch of leather covered breasts to Gabrielle's bare ones caused her to flush slightly and her heart to pound heavier in her chest. And Xena sensed it too, because she leaned in to kiss the bard's neck and bite her ear before pushing back. Her young partner's eyes were a smoky green, filled with desire, when she met them.

"Soon," Xena smiled, knowing her eyes were showing her own desire as she tipped her head towards the toddler still sharing the bed with them and Gabrielle nodded, swallowed hard.

"Your back looks good. The cuts are healing well but let me get some salve on them and the bruises back there."

The warrior scooted around the bed, behind her partner, and set to work delicately dressing the wounds and then rubbing the same salve she'd used in the front to the bruises on the back. Once finished, she rewrapped the ribs with new pasty strips of linen and pulled the woman's tunic down.

"Thank you," Gabrielle said softly, blinking her eyes sleepily as Xena pressed her back to the bed and covered her with blankets.

"Let's not make a habit of it, huh?" the warrior smiled, caressing Gabrielle's cheek. "Sleep for awhile. Do you want some pain killers?"

"No, it's okay as long as I'm still," the green eyes blinked open. "I'd like ... to lay with you?"

Without a word, Xena crawled over her partner and tucked herself under the blankets between Gabrielle and Mara. Then she held the bard while she slept, her own eyes wide open and staring at the ceiling of the stone room, considering the words her companion had said earlier about their relationship. And considering the bard herself and the goodness inside of her.

XXXXX

Xena took Mara downstairs for the evening meal, having cleaned her up, combed out her blonde locks, and purchased a small blue tunic from a local marketer. The small girl had asked about Gabrielle, but the warrior told her that they would let her sleep.

So now they sat at the table crowded with countless others and loud conversation. Mara sat next to Xena, a wooden box on her chair so that she could reach her plate and drink, and the warrior found she took quite naturally to cutting the small girl's food into bite-size pieces and arranging her plate so it would be easier to reach. Gregor watched as she attended to the toddler easily, moving a half filled cup away from the edge of the table repeatedly, answering the tug on her sleeve without impatience.

Finally, when dessert was served, Mara had become overwhelmed by the loud banter and the people around her who tried to speak with her, and she crawled precariously from her box to Xena's lap. Xena hugged her gently, cuddling the small girl to her chest and whispering soft words in her ear which were answered by mute nods.

When Xena raised her eyes back to Gregor, he watched her with a fond smile and she blushed, rubbing the child's back absently.

He leaned forward, dark hair shadowing slightly his expressive eyes. "Don't be embarrassed, Xena. I've known you for a long time and I have never seen you happier. I like this gentle side of you, you're a natural."

Xena met his eyes briefly and was surprised at what she saw there. They'd always understood each other, even through the darkest of times, had always been fond of each other without exploring their relationship further. But what she saw there may have been regret, or hopefulness.

"I'd hoped, I guess, when I knew you were coming, that it might be a chance for you and I to ... get to know each other better. We've always been good together."

Xena blinked at him and his rugged features and realized that he would make a great life partner for someone ... just not her. Maybe years ago, but not anymore. She took a breath, surprised to be fending off advances for the first time from someone whom she was actually flattered by. "I'm sorry, Gregor," she said softly, shaking her head, realizing how pathetic the words sounded. "Gabrielle and I ..." she faltered, not to hide their relationship but because she didn't know the words to explain what the bard was to her. How could she explain that the young blonde was her breath and her life?

"I know," he smiled, placing a large hand on her shoulder and squeezing. "She brings out the best in you."

"No, she is the best in me," Xena responded and realized that those few words said everything she'd wanted to express.

And as if on cue, the bard stood quietly in the doorway to the large dining room, leaning against the stone portal and running a tired hand through golden hair. But when her emerald eyes landed on the blue of her partner's, she grinned slightly and started to make her way slowly across the room to the chair where Mara had been. Xena silently pulled the chair out and removed the box, grasping Gabrielle's arm gently and steadying her as she sat.

She wasn't even completely seated before there was a full plate in front of her and a goblet of wine. She meekly smiled her thanks to the servers.

"Hi," Xena said softly, reaching under the table to run a warm hand up and down the top of the woman's thigh.

Mara finally removed her face from the warrior's neck and, seeing who it was, grinned, pushing away from Xena to make her way to Gabrielle.

The bard nodded to Xena's questioning look and opened her arms. Xena placed the girl on her partner's lap. "Careful, Mara," she said softly. "Gabra is still hurting. Okay?"

The child nodded once and snuggled into Gabrielle's warm embrace.

"How are you?"

"Better," Gabrielle said softly, toying with her food with one hand while hugging the child with her other arm. "Ribs mostly, my back doesn't bother me very much."

"It'll take a little while for them to heal. Can you eat with her in your lap?"

"Yeah, I'll manage," she leaned forward to meet Gregor's eyes on the other side of Xena. "Good evening, Gregor," she smiled at him gently. "Thank you for your hospitality."

He beamed back at her, eyes shining slightly, liking her completely despite her relationship with Xena, and what that relationship precluded. "My pleasure, Gabrielle. I'm glad you're feeling better."

The bard smiled in response and raised a forkful of boiled vegetables to her lips.

Xena and Gregor resumed their earlier discussion about Antius and tomorrow's trip to explore the surrounding areas for the remnants of his army. Gabrielle listened while picking lightly at her meal and hugging the small child to her.

"You're a beautiful little girl, Mara," she whispered softly after a while of soaking in the small body's warmth. "And so smart." Deep brown eyes blinked up at her and she smiled into them. "Did you know that?"

"Mama says I nothing good," the little girl whispered.

Gabrielle's eyebrows knit together and she fought to control the anger inside of her. Instead, she put down her fork and hugged the child more tightly to her. "You're everything good, little one. Beautiful, special, sweet." She remembered vividly growing up in her own family. It hadn't been abusive or bad ... just not good. No one cuddled with her and encouraged her. Anything that wasn't work related to the fields or the farm was ridiculed. She was told she would never amount to anything special so she should stop daydreaming. She swore that her own child would never be raised with those self doubts.

Xena sensed her uneasiness and met the bard's eyes over Mara's blonde head. But Gabrielle smiled gently to her, rocking the child slightly. It's okay, love.

So the warrior nodded before returning her attention to her conversation with Gregor.

XXXXX

Later in bed, Xena explained their plans for tomorrow as they snuggled under the blankets. The two women whispered so as not to awaken the small child curled up between them.

"Do you feel well enough to handle Mara on your own tomorrow?" Xena asked softly. "Not sure how long I'll be gone."

"Yeah, we'll be fine. If I hurt too much, I'm sure I can get someone to help out a bit."

Xena nodded her agreement, gently resituated the child's weight that was half on her and half on Gabrielle. "We're a pile of people," she grinned.

Gabrielle smiled as well, "Yeah." Then she moved her head slightly to lean it against the warrior's shoulder. "What was your childhood like?"

"What do you mean?"

"At dinner, I told Mara how beautiful and smart she was, and she looked at me and said that her mom told her that she was nothing good. Isn't that horrible?"

"It is," Xena agreed quietly after several long moments of considering this information. She ran a warm hand up the bard's arm. "My mom was good with us, always encouraging us and offering hugs and kisses. I had a good childhood."

Silence. Then the bard said softly, "My parents weren't good at that kind of stuff. They never hurt us and we were always cared for ... but we never felt loved. Or special. I don't want Mara to grow up like that."

"That's not our choice to make, love. Mara has her own family," the warrior responded very carefully, sensing the other woman's strong feelings.

"They think she's gone, Xena. We could raise her and they would never know," Gabrielle whispered intensely. "We could do it."

Xena rolled slightly to press a kiss to her partner's temple and run extended fingers down a soft cheek. "You know we can't do that. It's not right. Mara has a family. Brothers and sisters, a mom and dad."

"We don't know that," the bard's voice cracked slightly. "She could have a horrible family."

"But we don't know that to be true, either, Gabrielle," Xena soothed. "It's one thing to intentionally let your child be raised by another ... but quite different to lose that opportunity against your will." She paused, fingers tangling in blonde hair, lips warm on her lover's temple as she remembered her decision with Solan so long ago. "She's a little girl. Sometimes little kids just say things without really understanding them or meaning them."

"I love her already. I don't want to see her hurt." Gabrielle's hand flexed slightly while wrapped in the warrior's sleeping shirt.

"I know," Xena responded, hugging the bard gently despite the awkwardness of their positions and the child resting on them. "I love her, too. I'll make sure everything works out. Count on me?"

The smaller woman nodded, relaxing in the hug and wiping absently at the tears in her eyes.

"Get some sleep, my bard."

But it was a long time before either was able to find sleep.

XXXXX

Jykar had returned some time during the night and met with Xena in the morning while she ate breakfast. Mara had gotten up with her and again sat next to her at the large table.

"Most of his men fled," Jykar was saying as he spooned heaping amounts of egg into his mouth. Mara watched this feat with quiet fascination and it caused Xena to smile. "Went back where they came from I suppose. Most appeared to be merchants or the like who were hoping for an easy life."

"'Na? Big mouth?" the girl asked, her eyes wide.

The warrior smiled. "That's right, Mara."

And Jykar cast her a good-natured grin and slowed down in his feasting.

Xena broke off a piece of bread and handed it to Mara, then she had a piece herself. "Figured they would. I'm headed out in a bit to take a survey of the surrounding area, be sure that the men are gone."

"Good idea," Jykar agreed. "Let me finish eating and clean up a bit then I'll come with you."

"Thanks, I'd appreciate it. See if you can roust Risto and a couple of others as well." Then she turned to the toddler at her side. "Are you finished?"

The girl nodded.

"Let's get you a bath and some clean clothes, then you're going to stay with Gabra today. Okay?"

"Okay," the youngster intoned enthusiastically.

By the time Mara was clean with combed hair and in another brand new tunic, dark green this time, Gabrielle was awake and watching Xena work with the little girl.

"Quit squirming, Mara."

"Doan wanna hair like that," little hands pushed away dark callused ones. "Don't wanna!"

"Mara," the warrior said patiently, "you cannot walk around this palace with a bird's nest on your head. Let me untangle it."

"No!" she shoved at the leather and armor in front of her, kicking small stubby legs out in a follow through.

Gabrielle grinned, sitting upright in bed and though Xena noticed her movement, Mara did not.

"Young lady, you listen to me. I don't know how your mama does things with you but I tell you what: while you're living with Gabrielle and I, you will listen to us. And you will behave because what we do, we do for you, to keep you safe."

Pretty good, the bard nodded with a tilt of her head. Not sure comparing hair combing with life and death situations was relevant ... but the young girl would likely buy it. And she did, dropping her eyes and her feet at the same time.

"Torry," her voice was bubbly with tears. "Doan be mad, 'Na. Torry."

Xena met eyes with her partner. Is this a ploy? Or is she frightened? The bard shrugged her shoulders.

So Xena picked up the small girl and felt trembling little arms wrap around her neck. "I be good. Doan be mad. Doan leave me."

"Oh, Mara, honey," the warrior crooned, the harsh angles of her armor contrasting dramatically with the softness of her features as she comforted the child. "We're not going to leave you here, we're going to find your Mama so you can go home."

"Doan make me go away. I try harder."

Gabrielle met Xena's eyes and in them the warrior saw a fierceness. She tried to let her ice blue eyes calm the bard. Don't jump to conclusions, love. She's been through a lot, she's frightened, that's all. But she wondered, as did her partner, if someone had forced the child away.

"I've got you," was all the warrior could think to say. But it didn't really matter as the small arms hugged her and Mara cried into Xena's neck. Slowly she carried the child over to the bed where she sat next to Gabrielle to allow her young partner to also console the girl.

"We love you, Mara. It's okay," the bard soothed in a very gentle voice as her hands combed through the still wet blonde tresses.

A tear streaked face looked up at her and Gabrielle thought she might get lost in the depths of those small brown eyes. How did she manage to do that and be so little? The bard cupped the face between her palms, kissing first the child's nose and then each wet cheek.

"Doan send me back there," Mara's small voice pleaded as she closed her eyes and absorbed the love and warmth surrounding her.

Gabrielle closed her eyes as well, kissing the small face again, but didn't answer because she wouldn't make this child a promise she couldn't keep.

After a moment, Mara crawled over into the bard's lap.

"I gotta go," Xena leaned forward to whisper in Gabrielle's ear, needing to meet the other warriors and feeling that Gabrielle had the situation here under control. Though the child's words would haunt her all day. "Okay?"

Gabrielle nodded, reaching out to grab and squeeze the warrior's hand. "Be careful."

Xena nodded, kissed the bard and the child before rising to attach her scabbard and check her armor one last time. She gave them a quick wave as she left the room.

XXXXX

Argo trotted eagerly ahead of the four other horses that had joined them today, forcing Xena to call over her shoulder to speak with Jykar and Risto. They were headed West, back into the mountains, hoping to examine what might be left of the camp and find out about any remnants of the religious army Antius had so painstakingly built.

For the most part they rode silently aside from a few comments about the terrain or evidence of riders having passed and they trotted right into the abandoned camp just after mid day. There was nothing of value left. The tents were, mostly, still standing if a bit ragged from their quick evacuation. There was some debris about such as cooking utensils, rags, and blankets. But no life.

They made their way around the large center firepit to trot the horses towards the western wall where they found the temple to be in much the same shape as the camp. Xena dismounted and went inside to find nothing of significance.

With a shrug when she returned, she mounted Argo and they left the camp to follow the largest tracks they'd seen leading away from the camp.

XXXXX

Long after she'd calmed the child and finished combing her hair and strapping on sandals, Gabrielle sat in a chair in the library with the small girl in her lap. She read stories to her as they shared a large mug of cool water.

Then, after lunch, they walked around the marketplace, visiting merchants and buying sweets from vendors, before taking a very slow walk into the nearby woods. Where Mara danced and sang and twirled around, swooping up handfuls of leaves and throwing them in the air to stand beneath them. And Gabrielle laughed at the small girl's antics until her ribs were aching again and she decided it was time to go back to their rooms and take a nap.

XXXXX

Xena found them in the library after she'd tended to Argo and had a bite to eat. She'd half expected them to be in bed but had found their room empty and figured this for a good second choice. When she pushed the door open, the bard was reading very softly from a scroll in one hand, steadying the child on her lap with the other hand.

Gabrielle looked up and met ice blue eyes. She smiled instantly and the sparkle came to life in her gaze. "Hi."

Mara looked up as well and flashed the warrior a remarkable grin as she hopped down from Gabrielle's lap and trotted across the floor to leap into outspread welcoming arms. Xena swooped her up and hugged and kissed her. Then she went over to the now standing bard and kissed her soundly on the lips. "Don't want you to feel left out," she said softly.

And Gabrielle smiled. "Never. We're ready for bed, I think. Walk with us?"

"Of course."

Somehow they'd managed to slip out of bed once Mara was sleeping and they snuggled quietly on the large fur rug in front of the fireplace, cold this time of year. There they reclined in each other's arms and whispered about the day's events, enjoying the mostly private closeness of this moment.

And slowly the conversation ended and they found themselves kissing each other lightly, then with more eagerness, until their worlds were full of soft lips and wet tongues, darting in and out of mouths, tracing along jawlines, licking ears.

Gabrielle crawled on top of Xena, forcing the warrior down with her gentle assault until she lay fully atop the linen clad body. Both women's breaths were ragged with desire.

"Is it okay ... to do this ... with Mara in the room?" Gabrielle asked with panting breaths in between kisses.

"I think so, if we're quiet," a wondering hand found its way down the body above her and back up under the sleep shirt. "I'll listen for her, make sure she doesn't wake up."

Gabrielle laughed softly even as those hands beneath her shirt started tracing the wrappings on her ribs and traveled upwards to gently cup a breast. "You won't be able to concentrate enough to listen for her," the bard whispered with a sharp intake of breath.

"Mmm," she pinched a sensitive nipple. "I think you're right."

"Then stop now," Gabrielle breathed heavily, her hands doing their own exploration.

"Can't," the warrior whispered, teeth glinting in the candlelight as she offered her friend a slightly evil grin. "C'mere," and suddenly Gabrielle was cradled in Xena's arms and being carried across the room to the bathing alcove. She pulled the curtain to offer some privacy and lay the smaller woman down on the small woven rug there.

"Ah ... better," the bard whispered.

"Still, be quiet, bard," Xena growled playfully as she moved up Gabrielle's body and captured her lips again, breaking away only briefly to pull the young woman's shirt over her head. Then she continued her sensual assault with hands and lips, traveling down to capture a nipple, bite it gently with her teeth. Gabrielle moaned deeply when Xena reached lower with her hand to tangle long dark fingers in the crisp curls she found at the apex of her companion's legs.

"Shhh," Xena hummed into the breast at her mouth. She moved lower, passing the bandages to lick and nip at the bard's well developed abdominal muscles and her navel. But when her tongue reached the curls and started swirling through them to find Gabrielle's clitoris, the younger woman stiffened and reached for Xena's shoulders. Tugged at them lightly.

"Xena?" a soft frightened voice.

"What is it?" Xena was up next to her in a flash, pulling the bard into an embrace and studying the emerald eyes turned her direction.

"Can we ... can we not do that yet? I'm not ready," her voice was soft and uncertain.

"Are you afraid?" the warrior questioned gently, smoothing back red gold hair with long fingers, concern glinting in those sapphire blue eyes.

"Not afraid. I'm just not ready to do that... to you," the young woman said very quietly.

She lavished her companion's face with small kisses. "You don't have to, love. I want to do this for you. You don't have to reciprocate. Okay?" She met green eyes with a questioning look. Absolutely no pressure behind her gaze and, slowly, the bard nodded.

Given permission, Xena eased her way down the bard's body back to her original task. After a few moments Gabrielle relaxed slightly at this new treatment of her body, the pale hips beginning to respond with gentle movement.

Xena tucked her arms under and around the smaller woman's thighs, holding on as her tongue, lips, and teeth encouraged Gabrielle' movement further. Soft moans escaped the bard's lips.

But when Xena glanced up the bard's body to meet verdant eyes with electric blue ones, Gabrielle took the hint and tossed her forearm across her face and pressed it to her mouth. Xena nodded before continuing her task. And, before too long, the bard bucked harder and more feverishly so the warrior gave the bundle of nerves one last suck and then held on.

Gabrielle bit her arm lightly as she crested then crashed with orgasm, body trembling. Then reached both hands to Xena to pull her closer, groping at linen covered shoulders until the warrior came back up her body to cradle it in powerful arms, wiping her mouth on her sleeve thoroughly before gently kissing the bard's temple. Tremors still traveled through Gabrielle's body and her ribs ached slightly from the exertion but she really didn't care as she clung to the front of Xena's shirt.

The dark haired woman slid back with both of them so she could sit against the large tub, then she pulled her partner into her lap and held her tightly, rocking her back and forth. "I love you," the warrior's husky voice whispered into Gabrielle's nearest ear. "I love you."

But the bard was still speechless and her cheeks were wet with tears of release. She nodded mutely, flexing and unflexing her fists in the fabric of Xena's sleeping shirt. Slowly, slowly, she came back to herself, taking deep breaths, until she could throw her arms around her partner's neck and squeeze.

"That was amazing," she whispered, reveling at this rarely seen tender side of her friend as she snuggled into raven hair. The dark woman had the ability to calm nerves yet stoke fires. Her touch could be filled with searing heat but unfathomably soft and gentle at the same time.

"Nah," Xena responded gently, her hands smoothing down the back of Gabrielle's head and shoulders. "Are you ready to go to bed?"

"Not yet," she whispered. "Can you just hold me a little longer?"

"Forever," was the barely audible response but the certainty of it sent shivers down Gabrielle's back.

XXXXX

They spent just a few more uneventful days at the palace, spending time with Mara, allowing Gabrielle's ribs to heal. Xena went out with a morning patrol the first two days but found nothing to indicate that they, or the palace, were in any danger.

So she helped Gregor prepare a trial for Antius, keeping her own meetings with the prisoner to a minimum, though she did manage to get him to outline on a map the route he'd taken for his latest recruitment trip. It was this map they'd use when they left to find Mara's family.

Gabrielle spent what time she could, when she wasn't chasing an errant toddler or resting aching ribs, copying her scrolls as she'd originally set out to do. And reading anything she could get her hands on but still not making an appreciable dent in the magnitude of writings that were stored here.

The three of them shared a bed on what was to be their last night there before setting out to search for Mara's parents and then to move on with their own lives. Gabrielle curled easily around her lover's body on one side, the child was securely attached to the other. And Xena lay on her back which she found fairly uncomfortable but well worth the touch of both of them. This way she could also wrap an arm around each and keep close tabs on them.

They were sleeping soundly when a loud banging on the door brought them all awake. Then the door slammed open, bouncing off the wall to be caught by Gregor's hand. Mara started screaming but Xena and Gabrielle were immediately on their feet with weapons in their hands.

"Gregor?" Xena sighed relief, lowering her sword, watching the bard lower her staff as well.

"Xena, we need you. They've sacked some neighboring farms and are now at the walls. We weren't prepared ... don't know if we can hold them."

"Right down," Xena said in a short bark and Gregor was gone, his feet being heard by all of them as they pounded down the stone hallway to the stairs. The warrior stripped off her night shirt and immediately started putting on leathers, then found the bard behind her to help settle her armor as she put it in place. The younger woman's nimble fingers closed the clasps expertly, double checking each for security.

Then Xena turned, taking the bard's upper arms in steely fingers, looking her directly in her eyes. You and Mara get dressed, go get Argo. If they come over the walls, you ride out of here."

"Xena, I -"

"No," she shook her partner slightly, getting her attention. "No. Listen to me. I can get through this if I know you're safe. Head to Poteideia."

Silence as many emotions flashed through the emerald eyes before her. Even Mara had whimpered to silence in the intensity of the moment.

"Promise me, Gabrielle. Promise me. I love you, I need for you to be okay."

"I promise," the bard whispered, the words almost coming unheeded from the sheer force of those ice blue eyes staring her down. Then, with more certainty. "I promise. Go. Be careful."

A quick kiss to bard and child and the warrior was gone, boots echoing as she followed Gregor's earlier path down the hallway.

"Okay, Mara, let's go." The child was quiet but helpful as Gabrielle dressed first the girl and then herself, lacing boots on each of them and gathering as much of their supplies as she could. Then they were headed to the stables, running the short distance across the courtyard from the kitchen door to the barn, ignoring the screams and battle cries from not too far away.

Argo, on the other hand, was much less cooperative than the child had been. A war horse knows when a battle is afoot and wants nothing more than to be involved. First the great palomino reared and spun, evading the bard's attempts to catch her. Then she fidgeted constantly while being saddled and bridled and Gabrielle prayed that she wouldn't have to ride Argo, pretty sure she would not be able to handle the mare when she was like this.

Then they waited, huddling together in the corner of Argo's stall, seated on thick straw, hoping the mare's big feet wouldn't hit them during her persistent pacing. Mara was too frightened to cry and just clung to the bard desperately.

XXXXX

Gregor shouted commands to his men as Xena raced to the wall, climbing up to the top to join him. She recognized some faces from the time she'd spent here and they all welcomed her with a wary smile. She returned their meek smiles with one of more confidence, hoping to give them some courage, before turning to Gregor.

"They told the farmers they wanted Antius."

"Only if they kill him," Xena growled back, the blood rushing through her turned her immediately into the warlord she'd always been.

Quick sapphire eyes scanned the crowd below, noticing that they were still the unskilled bunch she'd seen before but they had surprised the guards and had outnumbered them. Fortunately though, Gregor's army was quickly gaining in number as the barracks were rousted from slumber.

The warrior felt good about this, spun her sword nimbly in large hands, switching to her left, then back to her right. She settled the familiar weight of the weapon easily before turning to offer Gregor one of her most feral grins. "For old times sake, my friend?" she hollered above the din of the battle beneath them and the whirring of arrows on their level.

The large man took a deep breath, met those cobalt eyes he'd once followed with absolute loyalty. And he followed her again, right over the wall and into the battle below.

They fought back to back, the clang of metal around them fueling each to work harder and fight more. Soon, sweat was running from them both.

Xena swung her sword across her front, disarming the man who'd been attacking her, then lunged forward to set him off balance, using that advantage to swing back with her sword and injure him badly in the side. The injury caused him to fall and be replaced by countless more so that she was fighting several at once, kicking, parrying, slicing, losing herself almost completely in this battle and the focus it required.

Through it all, though, her mind kept flying up the stone stairs back into the castle. Had Gabrielle kept her promise? Had she taken the child and Argo? She trusted Gabrielle implicitly but readily admitted that her young friend often forgot things like promises and reality when her heart got in the way. This was one of those times. Even not having Gabrielle right here to worry about couldn't keep the warrior from slightly losing focus of the issue at hand.

She noticed, out of the corner of narrowed blue eyes, that some of the men were making their way over the wall and into the courtyard so she redoubled her efforts.

XXXXX

Gabrielle heard the men fighting in the courtyard now, also heard the men coming from the barracks behind the stable. But she knew that time was running out and she'd have to keep her promise to Xena.

"C'mon, Mara," the bard said as she stood, still holding the child clutched to her. She grabbed Argo's reins the next time the mare wheeled close and pulled her out of the stall and into the barn aisle where her shod hooves clattered on the cobblestone. She danced restlessly and it was all Gabrielle could do to keep a one handed grip on the well oiled reins while balancing the child.

Finally, she set Mara on top of a straw bale, trying not to notice her loud complaints. Now she was able to use her free hand to sling up the saddle bags and secure them. It would do her and the girl no good to be on the road without some minimal supplies. Then she slipped her staff into its leather holder on the saddle.

Hopping up on the straw with Mara, she shrugged narrow shoulders. "Here goes nothing," she muttered and scooped the girl up before jumping onto Argo's back.

The golden mare reared immediately and the young woman had horrible visions of her or Mara, or both, laying on the cobblestone floor. But she calmed herself, grabbed the reins, and brought the mare down. In her best Xena imitation she yelled, "Knock it off, Argo!"

Solid hooves settled slowly, still sliding but at least remaining near the ground. This gave Gabrielle time to settle Mara in front of her, get her own bearings, then nudge the mare forward down the long aisle and out into the darkness and chaos beyond.

XXXXX

When the men went over the wall, Xena knew things were getting out of hand. She also knew that Gregor had the men and ability to stop this attack if only they could get here in time. She glanced over at Gregor, realizing that he hadn't noticed the intruders.

"They're in!" she yelled to him and it took him several long seconds, interspersed with sword clangs and grunts, to really hear her and have it sink in. He turned dark eyes to the wall, backlit with torches and fires inside the courtyard, and his heart sank.

"Open the gates!" he yelled to his men fighting on the walls. It would give the attackers easier access but it would also allow his own men to come out more quickly.

"No!" Xena screamed back, at the top of her lungs. "Not yet! Give us time! Your men can come over the wall."

But the soldiers had already started cranking open the heavy wooden gates and when Antius's army started assisting, there was no turning back.

Gregor cast his dark haired friend a regretful glance but she shook it off, never missing a beat in the battles she was waging.

XXXXX

Argo burst out of the stables and spun on light feet. Her nostrils were flared and her bright eyes open wide. She fought at the young woman who held the bit hard in her mouth and tossed her head, wanting so badly to join the fray.

She wasn't disappointed because soon the fray joined her. Three men surrounded her, reaching for her reins and her passengers. She would have none of it. She reared again, striking the man at her head with a powerful knee, trying to balance her riders as she spun and planted a kick on him.

Gabrielle, for her part, was swinging her staff one handed, putting as much as she could behind it. Her other hand held onto the screaming child. The little girl's wails had been going on so long now that they just blended into the rest of the sounds.

She landed one decent hit on the man on her right, Argo took care of the man on her left. So she slid her staff back into place, gathered the reins again, and looked for a way out. Amazingly, when she turned her attention towards the front of the courtyard, she saw the gates were wide open. Without hesitation, she held tightly onto Mara and squeezed Argo with her calves.

The mare responded instantly, lurching forward, seeing the opening even in the flickering torchlight. She skirted a flaming merchant's cart, avoided a small group of fighters, and was almost to freedom.

XXXXX

Xena was so engrossed in her immediate surroundings that she only vaguely realized, on the outskirts of her mind, that Gregor's men had abandoned the arrows and were leaping over the wall and pouring through the open gate to fight next to their commander and the woman warrior. That may mean that the inner courtyard is secure, Xena hoped silently.

It was just at that moment that she also saw a burst of gold hide fly through the gate and onto the road. The mare stopped and spun, forcing her riders to lean forward and hold on. Liquid brown eyes looked to Xena, frantic, confused.

"Go!" Xena shouted to the mare, taking out her nearest adversary, feeling his blood splatter onto her. "Argo, go! Take them out of here!"

The golden mare snorted and stomped again, indignant that a war horse should be used merely for the egress of civilians.

Xena turned blue eyes towards horse and riders, meeting Gabrielle's seeking gaze. She gave her the best grin she could manage, hoping it wasn't as feral as it felt. And she blew her a kiss.

Despite her nerves and the battle and the blood that pooled in the dark dirt, Gabrielle smiled at her partner. She knew this Xena as well as she knew every other facet of the dark woman, knew she was enjoying the surge of battle.

But from her vantage point, atop the dancing palomino, Gabrielle didn't think it looked so bad anymore. More and more of Gregor's men were pouring through the gate and the attackers seemed to be weakening. So instead of fleeing for her life, she urged Argo away from the immediate battle, well out of the conflict but close enough to listen and watch. If she needed to run, she could still go.

It was seemingly endless until, covered in blood and gore and extremities trembling with exertion, the fighters watched the remains of Antius's army, barely a handful, run into the morning mist and disappear. Gregor and Xena stood side by side, swords dripping blood and pointing to the ground, as the men's cheers grew around them until their cries of victory were louder than the battle itself had been. The night turned grey as sun sought sky.

Then man and woman looked at each other and smiled, the old familiarity of this moment feeling tremendously good, all the better for the reason for battle. This wasn't about looting or revenge but it was the protecting of friends and property. It was a battle for the preservation of happiness and well being.

Xena looked around suddenly, and saw the bard still on her golden horse, smiling, holding Mara in her arms. Upon being noticed, Gabrielle urged the mare forward until they stood closer to Gregor and Xena.

The warrior raised her sword to point it at her young blonde friend and winked, returning the smile. She walked forward to close the distance between her and the bard and leaned her head back to look straight up into Gabrielle's eyes.

"I guess we're staying a little longer?" the bard hazarded, not seeing the blood and gore on her partner, only seeing the beauty in those eyes and in that smile.

"A day or two more. Make sure Gregor has everything under control."

Gabrielle nodded. "We're going to go untack Argo and then go back to the room," she shouted over the increasing volume of the army. Mara clamped open hands over small ears, making a face at both of them, apparently also not caring that the warrior was a bloody mess.

"I'll clean up first," Xena offered, reaching out to stroke the mare's neck and then pat her lover's knee.

"Good idea," the bard mouthed since her voice wouldn't have carried that short distance with the surrounding noise, knowing by the answering grin that her partner had understood.

XXXXX

The surviving wounded from Antius's army had been dressed and cared for and sent on their way as quickly as possible. And the ones who were talking admitted that they'd wanted to bring Antius back to the encampment, that it had taken them several days to convince others of the necessity of this deed. Now the desire was deflated and the army disassembled.

Xena helped Gregor clean up the palace and surrounding grounds, rebuild the farms on the outer perimeter, and inventory his army and weapons. Then, at last, she and the bard were ready to be on their way.

They stood at the gate after the morning meal three days later to say their goodbyes.

"Thank you, Gabrielle, for your writings," Gregor smiled to the bard who blushed slightly. "They're already among the favorites of our patrons. Your words are priceless."

Gabrielle shook her head slightly, preparing a response for their hosts overly kind statements when Xena jumped in, not allowing her a chance. "And thank you for your hospitality, Gregor. It's good to catch up with old friends."

"That it is, Xena," he smiled. "And now I have fond memories to hold me until the next time." He hugged her, hugged Gabrielle, and ruffled Mara's hair affectionately. "You sure you won't take Traveler? The offer is always open, I owe you at least that and he does well for you," he offered for at least the third time, dark eyes meeting pale blue.

The warrior shook her head but smiled her thanks. She and Gabrielle had discussed the possibility at length, deciding that the disadvantage of the extra mouth to feed and shoes to buy was not overshadowed by the slight benefit of having two horses. They were used to traveling as they were. "No thanks, Gregor. Better to travel this way, I think."

"Your decision. Best of luck with the girl."

Final hugs all the way around and then Xena lifted the child onto Argo, helping the bard mount as well, and she led the palomino back down the road they'd come in on so many long days ago. The warrior felt gentle fingers tangling in her dark hair so she turned to look up, meeting green eyes that smiled affectionately at her. She smiled as well.

And so much has changed since we came here, she thought silently as she reached a hand up to pat the bard's exposed knee. Then she picked up her pace to walk several lengths in front of Argo, taking in deep breaths and smelling the forest where it beckoned in front of them. She heard the reassuring hoofbeats behind her and a muffled question from Mara, then the gentle response in her young lover's familiar timbre.

The morning air was still misty and crisp and seemed to part before them as they made their way along the cart packed road. Gabrielle watched silently as her partner walked into the rising sun, the orange ball of flame dispersing around her tall body, leaving her shadow of darkness in its wake and silhouetting the familiar form with glaring beauty. The bard grinned. Darkness and light, Xena was both. And she was wild as fire and gentle as shadows, refreshing as the mist and strong as the trees.

And she loves me.

The End


Return to The Bard's Corner