Xena laid the robes down and finished undressing. She slipped into the tub next to Gabrielle. The water was warm and the muscles that had been tense began to relax. "Ohhh. This feels sooo good." She murmured.

As Gabrielle listened to Xena adjust in the water. She suddenly realized what the strawberry had done to Xena. She picked up another piece of the fruit and turned to her warrior. "Oh Xena…"

The warrior opened her eyes. Gabrielle took the fruit and placed it slowly between her lips. Their eyes were locked on each other as Gabrielle moved across the tub. She moved in front of the warrior and wrapped her legs around her waist and her arms went around her neck. The bard smiled at the warrior as the strawberry danced between her lips. Xena leaned in to have a bite. Gabrielle pulled back.

"What do you say warrior?" She teased as she used her tongue to roll the berry around in her mouth.

"MINE!" The warrior said, grabbing the back of the bard's head and taking what she wanted, the fruit, the bard's lips, the kiss that followed.

That didn't work out exactly the way Gabrielle had planned, but this was good too. She could feel every ripple of every muscle in the warrior's strong body as Xena wrapped her arms around Gabrielle. The kiss was delivered with passion she hadn't known possible. No one had ever kissed her this way before. Xena was possessing every fiber of her being with this kiss. Making it very clear that the bard belonged to the warrior. When their lips finally parted, the bard was breathless and the warrior was satisfied.

"Well…" Gabrielle gasped still clinging to Xena.

"Too much?" Xena asked, concerned now. It had just been a natural instinct that had taken over. She was going to have to work on that. Gabrielle was a woman to be loved and honored, not taken and conquered. "Gabrielle are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"No you didn't hurt me. I'm fine. I've just never been kissed like that before."

"Ah, yeah, I'm sorry. Sometimes I can't control…"

"Don't be sorry." Gabrielle said cutting Xena's apology short. "We have so many new things to discover about each other now. I enjoyed that discovery."

"You did?"

"Oh yes, and I learned a very important lesson." The bard said as she moved back to the trays and poured two glasses of wine.

"What lesson would that be?" Xena asked as she accepted a goblet from Gabrielle and sipped the wine.

"Never tease a hungry warrior." She said with a sly grin as she sipped the wine.

"Gabrielle there are some things you need to know." Xena said, her voice very serious now.

"Such as?" Gabrielle asked in all seriousness as well. She didn't want to make light of the fact that Xena was going to make an effort to open up to her.

"What we have discovered in each other is very special. I have done things in my life that I'm not proud of, you know that." Gabrielle just shook her head. She didn't want to interrupt the flow of what the warrior was saying to her. "I have had a lot of lovers, both male and female, that's no secret either." That stung a little but the bard remained quiet. "And I thought that, maybe once or twice, I had actually been in love with some of those people, but when I looked into your eyes today I realized I had never really truly been in love with any of them. I found true love today. I guess I've known this for sometime now, but I had to make sure. You are so special to me." Xena reached out and cupped Gabrielle's face in her hand as she continued, "I didn't want it to be for you the way it had been for those others. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt you. I had to work my feelings through before I could say anything at all to you. I want you by my side until the end of time. I love you, but most importantly, I am in love with you. For the first time in my life I am truly in love."

Gabrielle smiled, kissed the palm of the hand that held her so gently and then burst into tears. Xena pulled her to her and held her gently in her arms. "What is it my little one? I didn't mean to upset you. I'm so sorry. Tell me what I've done."

The bard smiled through her tears and looked up at Xena. "That is the most loving, most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me."

Xena sighed and kissed the bard on the forehead. "You scared me to death. I thought I had just made a big mistake."

"No mistake my warrior. No mistake." The bard shifted and looked deeply into those beautiful blue eyes. "Now I suppose there are some things you should know."

"That's fair."

"We've been through so much together and I've watched you change. With each change I could see a little more of your heart and I began to fall in love with you and that heart. To be honest, it scared me. Sometimes your heart could be so enveloped in darkness, it scared me to think I was in love with the person who carried that much pain and anger in her soul." Xena lowered her eyes away from Gabrielle, ashamed. The bard gently lifted her chin and she opened her eyes, she owed her the courtesy to hear her out. "Then I would watch you sleep. You're different when you sleep. The more I watched you the more I realized that the person I had fallen in love with was there with me. The kind and gentle heart was there and at it's most vulnerable. There was no turning back. I was in love with you. There was no more fear, no more questions." Xena smiled as she continued to listen. "There is only one thing left that concerns me."

"What's that? Xena asked as she sipped her wine.

"Well, I'm not as experienced as you are when it comes to, well ah…matters of, shall we say 'pleasure'. I've only had the one experience with…" She stopped short.

"Perdicus?"

"Yes."

"It's okay Gabrielle. You can say his name. You can talk about him if you want. He was your husband, you loved him and you lost him. I'm not jealous of what you had with him and in some respects I guess maybe I wish you still had your life with him, because life with me isn't going to be easy."

"Nothing worth having ever is. I'm glad things have happened the way that they did. I'm sorry Perdicus is dead, but I know now I never was in love with him. I loved him and I might have grown to be in love with him, but I really believe that you and I were fated to be together and that never would have been fair to him. For me to share his life and his home and be in love with you."

Gabrielle took a drink of her wine and drew a deep breath. "Now let's get back to something far more interesting. As I was trying to explain, I lack certain 'qualifications' to be your lover and I'm afraid that I won't be able to make you 'happy'."

Xena smiled and then chuckled.

"What's so funny?" Gabrielle asked.

"Your mere presence in my life makes me happy. And as for your 'qualifications', I wouldn't be concerned."

"But what if I can't satisfy you."

"You all ready have once tonight. That kiss was amazing."

"You did that."

"You were there too."

"Yeah I know, but…"

"You worry too much." Xena said and she kissed the bard again. This time a slow lingering kiss designed to make a body tremble, which it did quite sufficiently.

Gabrielle shuddered as Xena touched her as she had never touched her before. The warrior's strong hands, now softened by the time spent in the tub explored every curve of the bard's body. Xena's lips traveled slowly, gently down Gabrielle's throat, to the base of her neck and her shoulders. Gabrielle could only wrap her arms around the warrior and concentrate on breathing. Her breath came in sporadic bursts every time Xena would move her hands or her lips to a new location. Soft moans began to escape her lips as the warrior gently kissed her neck. As her hands softly stroked her legs and traveled up her sides, pausing briefly on her breasts and gently manipulating both of her nipples at the same time. "Ohhh Gods, yes." She moaned into the warrior's ear. She felt the warrior tremble now. "Yes Xena, yes." She moaned again. "Make love to me."

That was all the warrior needed to hear. She slipped her arms around the bard and picked her up. Water dripped off their bodies as they exited the tub and went back into the main room. Gabrielle nuzzled Xena's neck as she carried her across the room and laid her down on a pile of furs in front of the fireplace.

"Are you warm enough?" Xena asked as she placed another log on the fire.

"Oh yes, it's quite warm in here."

Xena lay down next to the bard and looked at the beautiful woman who now lay completely helpless in front of her. The lights of the fire, dancing off of the drops of water still clinging to her skin. Xena reached out and began stroking the soft flesh of her new lover. "If I do something that you don't want, or if you want me to stop I want you to say 'Argo'.

Gabrielle couldn't help but giggle. "Why?"

"It's a safe word Gabrielle. It tells me that I'm doing something that you don't like or that you can't handle just yet and I'll stop."

"Why not just say stop."

"Because you may not mean it, or you may be using it in another context and I may stop when you don't want me to. THAT can be a little more than frustrating, let me tell you."

Gabrielle giggled again at the mere thought of someone not giving the warrior what she desired physically. "Ever killed anyone for that?"

"Not intentionally." She said, adding the grin when Gabrielle looked up all most horrified. "I'm only joking."

Gabrielle sighed and relaxed, stretching like a cat in front of the fireplace. Xena shifted in close to her bard. They were lying on their sides facing the fire. Gabrielle in front, Xena behind her. Xena began her explorations of the bard's body again. She loved the smell of her, the feel of her, the sound of her. This was the first person in her life that consumed her, heart and soul. She gently kissed her shoulder and began traveling down her arm. Gabrielle gasped again, sending a shudder through both bodies. The bard raised her arm and laid it gently across Xena's back. The warrior rolled the bard onto her back and began exploring her body with her lips. Kissing her stomach and working her way up. She took a nipple into her mouth and flicked her tongue over it, sucking gently. Gabrielle's back arched as another long moan escaped her lips. "Ohhh, yes. Yes."

Xena continued. Her hand found it's way to the soft patch of hair between her lover's legs. She gently stroked it, slowly, softly. Then she felt Gabrielle open herself ever so slightly. Inside her lover, Xena found her warm and wet. She wanted to be so careful and so tender during their first time. She stroked her lover's wet center as she continued to kiss her neck. Gabrielle felt her body responding to the gentle touch of her lover. "Gods Xena this…is so…wonderful." Xena responded by kissing the bard. Their tongues seeking each other with a passion neither of them expected. Gabrielle's body lurched and arched with every single stroke. Xena could tell that her lover as near the edge. "Not yet." She whispered as she slowed her caress.

"Please…" Gabrielle begged as she dug her nails into the warrior's back. This sent a tremor through the warrior they both could feel. Xena was exhilarated by the pain that her lover was causing her as she dug her nails down the length of her back. The more she toyed with the bard, the harder she dug in, pleading, "Please, please release me!" Xena placed herself over Gabrielle and placed a strong muscular thigh between the bard's legs. This sent the bard into another set of orgasmic convulsions but still did not set her free. The warrior held her weight off of her love with her arms. Gabrielle pulled Xena down and kissed her, a kiss that was meant to beg for her release from Xena's imposed prison, "Please, let me go." She whimpered after the kiss. "I don't… know… how much… more I… can… stand."

Xena smiled at Gabrielle as she watched her face as the passion of their first love making swept across her face. Her mouth would part slightly to allow her moans escape her lips. As she approached the edge she would bite her lower lip. When Xena would pull her back from the edge her entire body would shudder. Xena wondered if it was from anxiety, frustration or anger. The warrior smiled, these images stored in her mind forever.

Slowly, quite deliberately Xena began her descent down her lover's body. Kissing, licking and sucking flesh that was now damp with sweat instead of bath water. Soon her mouth was enraptured by Gabrielle's wet warmth. She was slow and loving with her little bard. She tasted every sweet drop that Gabrielle's passion brought forth to her hungry mouth. Gabrielle had her firmly by the shoulders, nails digging in. Xena could feel every muscle in the bard's body tighten, her legs quivered uncontrollably as she made her final approach to the edge. "Ohhh by the Gods Xena!" Her breathing stopped as her entire body began to quake. Xena held her thighs in her strong hands and continued her quest. Soon there was a long deep moan and then total relaxation and quiet. Gabrielle fell back onto the furs and tried to recapture her breath.

Xena moved up next to the bard and wrapped her securely in her arms. She could feel her heart beating within her chest and hear her trying to calm her breathing. "I…had no idea." Gabrielle whispered.

"About what?" Xena asked quietly.

"That it could be like that."

"Oh, that's just one method." Xena teased.

"One? There's more that one?"

"Absolutely. Our love making will only be limited by our imaginations."

"Being a bard I have an extremely active imagination." Gabrielle giggled as she snuggled in next to Xena.

"I know. I'm looking forward to it."

"Xena."

"Yes my little one."

"I'm hungry."

Xena smiled. Without a word she went into the bathing room and retrieved the trays of food. She also took the time to put on one of the robes and get the other for Gabrielle. When she returned to the main room Gabrielle was sitting up with her legs pulled up to her chest, arms wrapped tightly around them, staring into the fire. Xena sat the trays on the floor next to her and the placed the robe around her shoulders.

"Regrets?" Xena asked.

"Oh no. Gods no. I was just worried that's all."

Xena sat down behind her and pulled her into her arms. "Worried? About what?"

"You."

"Me." Xena laughed. "Why would you be worried about me?"

"What about your needs? Your satisfaction."

"At this point in time my little one, your pleasure is my satisfaction. Once you're more comfortable, we will worry about other matters."

"You're wonderful. And I must say I'm surprised at how gentle you are."

"Yes well, that's more than I can say for you."

Gabrielle had been reaching for a piece of bread. She stopped and turned slowly back to the warrior. "What do you mean?"

Xena smiled an evil little grin as she removed the robe and turned her back to Gabrielle. The scratches were long and deep. It all most looked as if someone had taken a whip to the warrior. Gabrielle gasped in horror when she realized she had done that. "Oh Xena I'm so sorry!"

She replaced the robe and turned to Gabrielle scooping her up in her arms and cradling her. "Don't be sorry. I enjoyed it."

"I hurt you. The first time we make love and I hurt you."

"Gabrielle there's a fine line between pleasure and pain and I assure you that it was all pleasure."

Xena reached over and picked up that piece of bread and handed it to her. "Eat something, you'll feel better."

Soon the two new lovers were sitting by the fire, eating and talking. Gabrielle could barely believe that this was her warrior sitting here with her. Xena had always been so stoic and brooding. It took a kick from Argo to get her to say ouch some days.

"Gabrielle there is one thing I have to warn you about right now."

"What?"

"No matter how I feel about you, no matter how much joy and light you bring to my life and no matter how much I'm willing to try and change to be with you," She paused and inhaled deeply. "I still have a dark side. I've gotten pretty good at controlling it and I do my best never to unleash it in your presence, but there will be times…" She trailed off.

Gabrielle laid a gentle hand on the warrior's arm. "Go on."

"It's very important that you do exactly as I tell you when I return from battle. No matter how odd or unusual my requests you must follow them. If you don't, I could hurt you and I never want to hurt you again. Do you understand?"

Gabrielle shook her head yes for the first time all most afraid of the warrior now. "Why?"

"We're lovers now Gabrielle and I have made my decision never to be with anyone else again. There's always darkness in my soul after surviving a battle. It's called battle lust and it tends to be very forceful, almost violent."

"How come I've never seen this before?"

"Well I generally delayed my return to you for a day until it had subsided or," She paused, ashamed of her next statement "been satisfied."

"I see."

"Gabrielle I would never hurt you. I couldn't take the chance. I couldn't come back to you that way. It wouldn't have been safe."

"I understand. I really do, but promised me that you'll come back to me right away from now on. No matter what."

"I promise." She said leaning in to steal a kiss form her bard. "It's getting late, we should go to bed."

Morning came far to quickly today as far as Xena was concerned. As usual she was awake with the first rays of sunshine and normally she would be up and getting dressed by now. The weight of her little bard lying in her arms, so quiet and content, made her want to stay there all day. She knew however she had to get up. She had promised Jordon she would meet with him. Carefully she slid out from underneath Gabrielle. The bard protested, even in her sleep she didn't like being separated from the warrior. Xena leaned over the bed, covered her lover with the soft silk sheet and gave her a light kiss on the forehead. "Enjoy this my queen, it won't last forever."

Just as Xena finished buckling her armor into place, there came a light knock on the door. Xena opened the door to find Darrius. "Good morning. How can I be of service?"

"I'm going to meet with his Royal Highness this morning. Her Majesty is still sleeping. Would you please post a guard outside the door?"

"Of course. Will there be anything else?"

"Have someone bring up a morning meal, in an hour or so. If she hasn't woken by then it will be all right to wake her."

"As you wish."

"Where is Prince Jordon this morning?"

"He is down in the village assisting with the new school."

"Thank you Darrius."

Xena walked out of the palace and stretched in the warm morning light. She could see the group of men working on the building. Xena strolled of and watched for a moment. There was Jordon, high up on the structure. He was working just as hard as any other man there. Jordon saw his friend on the ground and yelled down, "So are you just going to stand there or are you going to give us a hand?"

Xena smiled and began the climb up the ladder. Soon she was seated next to Jordon helping him haul timbers into place. "How is Her Majesty this morning?" Jordon asked with an evil little grin.

"Extremely satisfied." Xena replied as she laid a timber in place.

"I'll bet." Jordon grunted as they brought up another timer.

"You're just looking for a reason for me to throw you off this roof aren't you?"

"Hey what can I say? She's a beautiful woman."

"Yes, yes she is."

"So I gather that you two are an 'item'." Jordon said taking a drink from a water skin.

"No. We're a couple."

"There's a difference?"

"Items don't last." She said as she stood and pushed a timber in place with her foot.

"Why Xena if I didn't know you better, I'd say that you've lost your heart to this woman."

"That's merely the beginning Jordon. If you only knew."

"So I suppose you'd be really upset if I proposed to her huh?"

Xena very nearly lost her balance. Jordon reached out and pulled her back down next to him.

"What?"

"Remember last night when I said I needed to talk to you?"

"Yeah."

"Let's go somewhere and talk."

Gabrielle ate a leisurely morning meal on the balcony of their room. She watched the village below bustle with their daily lives and the preparations for the upcoming festival. The servant who brought her meal had explained that Xena had gone off to meet the prince. The bard had decided just to bask in the luxury of her surroundings for awhile. She pulled the robe closer around her and nibbled on a grape. Her memories began to wonder back to their love making the night before. Very passionate, yet so gentle. This was a side of the warrior she had truly never seen before. She was so lost in thought she hadn't heard Xena come in. When the warrior's lips brushed her neck she jumped.

"I'm sorry Gabrielle I didn't mean to scare you." She said reaching around and taking her hand.

Gabrielle kissed the warrior's hand and touched it gently to her cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too. Gabrielle is there something wrong?"

"No I was just thinking about last night."

"What about it? Are you having second thoughts?" The warrior felt a tight grip over take her heart as she waited for an answer.

"No. I was just wishing that it hadn't ended."

"Well now," Xena said moving around and scooping her up into her arms. "Just so happens I know how to solve that little problem."

"What are you doing?" Gabrielle giggled a little as they headed for the bedchamber.

"I'm going to take you to bed my queen."

"Don't we have things to do?"

"At this very moment we only have one thing to do." She said as she kissed Gabrielle on the neck and carried her into the bedchamber.

The bed had been made and the room had been tidied up. Xena looked mischievously at the bard and tossed her down on the bed. Gabrielle couldn't believe she had been tossed into the center of the bed and as soon as she got her bearings she was scrambling to get up.

"Move off that bed and I'll tie you to it." Xena said as she began to remove her armor.

"You wouldn't!?" Gabrielle offered this as a challenge as she scooted towards the edge.

"Oh wouldn't I!?" Xena said as she grabbed to belt from Gabrielle's robe and twisted it in her hands.

Gabrielle stopped, stared at the warrior and then slowly moved back to the center of the bed. The bard wasn't frightened. The tone that the warrior used was far too playful. "Okay you win." She said as she pulled her robe closed and laid back on the bed.

"No. Leave it open." Xena said as she sat down on the edge of the bed and tossed the robe open. "I like the view."

"Thank you." Gabrielle said as she stroked the warrior's hand.

"Don't touch until I tell you, you can."

Gabrielle finally caught on to the game. She smiled.

"Help me with my boots." The warrior said as she stretched out on the bed.

Gabrielle moved down to unlace her warrior's boots. As she did this Xena placed her hand under her robe and began stroking between the bard's legs. Gabrielle moaned and she faltered in her efforts. Xena quickly removed her hand.

"My boots."

"But…"

"Quiet. I didn't give you permission to speak. Just do my boots as you were told." Xena said these things with a coolness that sent shivers down the bard's spine.

Gabrielle couldn't believe that this was her gentle lover from last night. She also couldn't believe how much she was enjoying this little game. Apparently this was how she would be taught the things she would need to learn to properly love her warrior. With the boots now removed, she looked back at Xena and waited.

"Come here my little one and sit next to me." Xena said patting the bed next to her. Gabrielle moved back up to the head of the bed. Xena tugged on the robe and brought the bard down to her. Their lips met in an aggressive, hungry kiss. Gabrielle was sure she would pass out before the warrior would release her. "Are you all right?" Xena asked when the kiss ended.

"Yes…" The bard stammered.

"Shall I continue?" Xena asked gently caressing her face.

"Oh yes…please."

Another hungry kiss. Xena moved Gabrielle to her back and lay gently over her. Her lips moved down the bard's neck, nipping and biting. Gabrielle shuddered under her, so much pleasure being given to her. Gabrielle wrapped her arms around the warrior's strong back. The warrior stopped and looked into her green eyes. "Don't touch." She said with an evil little smile.

Quickly the bard returned her hands to the bed, gripping the covers with all of her strength as the warrior continued to kiss her body. She felt as if she were on fire. She wanted so much more from her warrior.

The loud knocking on the door was clearly an unwanted interruption by the lovers. Xena groaned as she sat up on the bed. "Stay here I'll be right back." The warrior left the bedchamber, closing the door behind her. The bard hoped for the quick return of her lover. She wasn't disappointed with the timing, just the outcome. Xena smiled sweetly at her bard and knelt near the bed.

"We have been summoned by Jordon. He needs to speak with us."

"Please, please tell me you're joking."

"I'm sorry my sweet, I'm not." The warrior said putting her boots back on. "There should be some lovely clothes in the wardrobe. Why don't you see if there's anything there you like."

Gabrielle sat up, tense and frustrated. Slowly she got out of bed and walked to the wardrobe. Xena watched her with a smile as she replaced her armor. She walked over and kissed her gently on the neck. "I promise my little one, later."

"I'm going to hold you to that warrior."

"I expect you to."

Gabrielle had chosen a long blue and green gown with golden embroidered threads running through it. There was a matching cloak, which Xena was more than happy to place around the bard's shoulders because it gave her the chance to nuzzle her neck.

"Ah Xena, Jordon remember?" Gabrielle had to stop this before it went any further or they wouldn't be seeing Jordon anytime soon.

"Oh yeah him."

Before leaving their chamber Gabrielle grabbed Xena by the arm and pulled her down for a kiss that the warrior felt clear to her boots. As they parted, Xena hand moved to her mouth and she smiled as she rubbed her bottom lip. "And that was for?"

"Not being allowed to touch you earlier." Gabrielle said before she disappeared through the door and started down the hall. Xena dashed after her.

"You're going to pay for that later you know." The warrior said under her breath as the pair continued down the hall.

"I hope so." Was the only reply

Jordon sat in his study and sipped a cup of tea. The door open and a footman ushered Xena and Gabrielle inside, closing the door behind them. Jordon rose and bowed at the waist.

"Good morning Your Majesty."

"Your Highness, please call me Gabrielle."

"As you wish, but only if you'll call me Jordon." He said as he took her hand and kissed it.

"Oh brother." The warrior groaned.

"Please sit and have some tea with me."

The trio took seats at the table where Jordon had been sitting when Xena and Gabrielle entered the room. Jordon was the perfect host. He poured tea for his guests. He smiled warmly at Gabrielle as he passed her cup to her. The smile he gave Xena was just as big, but had an entirely different meaning. Xena was becoming less amused by the minute.

"Gabrielle has Xena told you of my unique problem?"

"No. I'm sorry to say she didn't. We got…umm…distracted when she came back this morning."

Xena leaned over and whispered in the bard's ear, "Oh that was subtle."

The warrior sat back up and crossed her legs lazily and just watched the bard blush. She then turned to Jordon. "I didn't get the chance to tell her anything before you sent for us. Besides we hadn't worked out the solution yet."

"Actually Xena I think I have worked out the solution." Jordon said. Standing up he turned to Gabrielle. "I want Gabrielle to marry me."

Gabrielle sat motionless, but Xena was on her feet and Jordon was off his as the warrior picked him up by the throat. "What in the…" She growled.

The bard was soon on her feet and at the warrior's side tugging on her arm. "Xena drop him. You're going to kill him."

"If he's lucky." She growled as she stared in his eyes.

"I…can…ex…explain." He managed to gasp as he felt all of his air being cut off.

"WARRIOR DROP HIM!" Queen Gabrielle had spoken and even Xena couldn't disobey. Jordon hit the floor with a resounding thud. He rubbed his throat and gasped for air. Gabrielle wanted to help him, but she knew that this would only serve to irritate Xena even more and she didn't want to risk that at the moment.

"Start explaining Jordon!" The warrior yelled.

Slowly he got to his feet and return to his chair. Xena still stood over him shaking with rage and using all the power in her heart and soul to keep from acting on it.

"Xena just let me explain."

"I'm waiting!"

"Don't you see. It's the perfect solution. I get what I need. And the Amazon Nation gets a good strong ally. There are no strings attached here Xena. Nothing would change between you and Gabrielle. She would be my wife in name only."

Needless to say Gabrielle was feeling a little more than lost. She had not been privy to the earlier conversations between the warrior and the prince and Xena hadn't found the time to fill her in. They would have to set down ground rules for making love, first and foremost if there had been any conversations about Gabrielle getting married she would need to be filled in on these beforehand. "Would somebody like to take just a moment here to let me know what in Tartarus is going on?"

Xena, who had started to calm down a bit took her seat and started to explain the situation. In the process she reached over and took the bard's hand, making it very clear that she was not happy with this 'solution'.

"Let's give him a chance to explain it all the way through." Gabrielle said.

Xena just growled.

"First of all let me apologize for approaching it that way. I should have known better," he said still rubbing his throat. "I have things I need to explain to the both of you to make you understand why you're my only hope. I just don't know where to begin."

"The beginning tends to be a good starting point." Xena said with a slight hiss.

"Well Xena you all ready know one of the tightly held royal secrets."

Xena nodded. "Well I don't." Chimed Gabrielle

Jordon got up and began pacing the room. "Well Gabrielle you see, I'm…well, I'm a woman."

Gabrielle nearly choked on her tea. Xena patted her gently on the back. "Are you okay?"

"Un-huh." She managed to catch her breath. "Go on."

"After my parents married it looked as if no male heir would ever be born," She paused and turned to face them both. "Here's where the second royal secret comes in. My father, desperate for an heir prayed to Athene for guidance. Athene, touched by my father's words fell in love with him and they had an affair. I was the product of that affair."

"So that means you're…" Gabrielle started.

"Half God." Jordon finished. "I was presented and raised as a male child. The first, and only heir to the throne. Then four years later Kaylan was born to father and his wife, but Athene made it quite clear that she wanted me to rule Seranasia when my time came. So the secrets were kept and closely guarded. Other than the three of us there is only one other left who knows the entire truth."

"Athene." Xena said as she drank her tea.

"Yes."

"So exactly how do I figure in to this?" The bard asked.

"Yes well that's where it gets interesting…"

"Trust me Jordon, we're way past interesting here." Xena said with a scowl.

"Just hear me out."

"We're listening." The bard said giving Xena's hand a squeeze.

"I have to have my crown. I have to be married to get it. You're royalty, perfectly suited to take another title. A 'marriage' between Seranasia and the Amazon Nation would make them instant allies. Our subjects would have the protection of Athene and Artemis. And if we discretely let a few nobles of the amazons in on the first royal secret, they would never contest our joining."

Xena flinched at the last part of that sentence. As far as Gabrielle getting married, the warrior had already 'been there, done that' and she wasn't ready to go through it again. She rested her head in her hand and just tried to take it all in. Her anger had started to subside. Now she was just in shock that her friend would suggest such a thing.

"Why Gabrielle?" Xena asked, she just had to know.

"Well given the nature of your relationship I didn't think that she would be completely put off by the fact that I'm a woman. You see mother has informed me that I must tell the woman I marry, all of my secrets."

"There's more?" Xena asked raising her eyebrow in her typical fashion.

"No, no that about covers it. But don't you think that's enough?"

"More than." She said as she stood and walked to the window.

"Jordon I would really like to help you, but I don't think I can. I mean Xena and I are just starting to explore our relationship and all I know at this moment in my life is that I love her and I don't want to be with anyone but her."

"That's the best part. You don't have to change a thing. Xena stays by your side as your champion. Where you go she goes. No one would ever question that. And because of your rank in the Amazon Nation, you could be gone for months at a time. You wouldn't have to give up your travels."

"So basically I'd have a wife and a mistress." The bard laughed aloud.

Jordon joined in; "Yeah I guess you could look at it that way."

"The beginnings of my own little harem."

"Oh, I'm glad your two are so amused." Came the grumble from across the room.

Gabrielle got up and walked over to her warrior. She wrapped her arms around her and laid her head on her back. "We were only kidding my love."

Xena turned around and looked deeply into the bard's eyes. "Do you want to do this?"

"I think the least we can do is talk it over. Weigh the pros and cons and so on."

"Couldn't I just flip a coin?"

"Not this time. We're going to discuss this one."

"All right we'll think about it. We'll discuss it. We'll even consider it before we say no."

"Xena! Jordon is your friend."

"I thought so, until a few moments ago."

Jordon sighed heavily and walked over to the pair. "If you don't want to help I'll figure something else out. In the meantime just enjoy yourself while you're here. And Xena if you're interested, we could still use some help with the school."

With that, Jordon patted Xena on the back and left the room. "OH I HATE IT WHEN SHE DOES THAT!" Xena grumbled loudly.

As they walk arm and arm through the courtyard of the palace, the bard and the warrior agreed that it wouldn't do any good to try and discuss this until Xena had calmed down. To that end, Gabrielle suggested Xena take Argo out for a ride.

"I don't want to leave you here alone." The warrior started to argue.

"Nonsense. I couldn't be safer. I see it this way. You have two choices, take Argo out for a ride or go shopping with me this afternoon."

"I won't be gone long." She said with a smile giving the bard a hug around her shoulders.

"Take your time. I want you relaxed when you come back."

Xena gave the bard a light kiss and then left for the stables. As Gabrielle watched her walk away she felt her heart swell with pride at her love for the warrior. She turned and headed for the market.

Gabrielle was amazed at the variety of things this market had to offer. It seemed as if all she had to do was think of an item and it would be in the next merchant stall she came to. She had never met such happy pleasant people. No one seemed to have any complaints. The merchant's bargained very well and were fair in the prices they offered.

As she made her way through the market she met up with Jordon who appeared to be very distracted. So distracted that he ran into her.

"Oh Gabrielle I'm so sorry. Forgive me." Jordon said, catching Gabrielle before she could fall.

"It's all right. No harm done." She felt the sheer strength and power of Jordon's arms holding her upright. 'So much like Xena', she thought as she regained her composure. "Would you care to join me? We could talk."

"I'd like that very much."

After that Gabrielle's shopping became the talk of the village. The people smiled as their crown prince walked through the market with this beautiful young woman on his arm. They all knew he was looking for a wife and wondered if she was the one. Every time she so much as showed the slightest interest in an item it was offered to her. It wasn't long before the bard was feeling embarrassed by the attention she was getting.

"They're just hoping I have found my queen." Jordon said as they continued to walk through the market.

"I wish I could say you have, but we haven't even had a chance to talk about it. I sent Xena out for a ride so she would calm down."

"I know. I saw her heading for the gates. I was on my way to the school when I met with you."

"Jordon, tell me, in light of certain facts. Why didn't you defend yourself when Xena was 'being less than polite' in your study?"

"Several reasons really. First, I've never relied on that side of my personality. I mean it's there. I'm every bit as strong and agile as Hercules. I've just never utilized it. Second, she's my friend and I didn't want to hurt her. And third, you love her. I wouldn't have stood a chance in Tartarus with you if I had."

"You still should have defended yourself. She could have hurt you."

"No not really. She couldn't have hurt me, no matter how much she wanted to. She was my teacher for about three summers and we developed a bond of sorts. She vowed to me that as long as she had a breath in her body no harm would ever come to me or my family."

"This was when she was a warlord?"

"Yes. One of the fiercest warlords I've ever met."

"Yet she never showed any aggression or hostility towards you?"

"Never. She was always welcomed within these walls and whenever she came here she was always on her best behavior. She came alone, leaving her army on the outside and never once gave us reason to fear her. As a matter of fact, she always issued orders that if anyone should try to start trouble outside the gates, her soldiers were to do whatever was required to stop them."

"I always pictured her as completely evil and ruthless during that time. I didn't think her heart was capable of any compassion."

"She came here quite often. I asked her once why. She said it was the only place she could find any peace."

"What kind of things did she teach you?"

"The one thing she knew best. How to fight."

"Can you do the pinch thingy?"

"Un-huh."

"She still hasn't taught me that one."

"She will, when you're ready."

Ares paced back and forth. "I don't believe this. First Xena now Jordon. When will I be rid of this tiresome little pain in the butt?"

The God of War her been keeping tabs on Xena, again. He watched in shear disgust as Gabrielle and Jordon walked arm and arm through the market place. Suddenly a realization struck him as he stood over the reflecting pool and the laughter that filled the cavern was pure evil.

Xena rode Argo at an easy canter, enjoying this ride more than she had in long time. Argo also seemed to be enjoying the time with her mistress. A soft breeze had been blowing, sending her raven hair flowing in all directions. Suddenly the wind became strong and hot. Xena brought Argo to a halt and looked around. Ares stood before her, arms crossed with a smirk on his face.

"Oh what do you want?" She asked, disgusted at the mere sight of him. It had all ready been a long hard day and he was the last thing she wanted to deal with.

"When the cat's away…" He said with a chuckle.

"What?"

"Well it took Jordon all of five minutes to find your precious little Gabrielle after you left."

Xena felt the muscles tighten over her entire body. She took a deep breath and released it, releasing the tension as well.

"I trust them Ares. Your point here would be what?"

"Well Jordon just has so much more to offer. A palace. A kingdom. Nice safe environment, for a little girl from Poteidaia. What can you give her? You should see them together Xena. Walking arm and arm. Talking and laughing."

With this he was gone. Xena just released a scream that sent the birds from the trees. She did, however, feel better after the fact.

Xena walked back to the gates of Seranasia. She needed time to think. Ares had posed a good question. What could she give the bard? He had done this so many times before. How dense could she possibly be? He was only trying to get between them again. If Gabrielle didn't want the things Xena offered she would have left long ago.

Once inside the gates she handed Argo off to a groomer and made her way back to the palace. As she opened the doors to their quarters she heard Jordon and Gabrielle talking. She knew it wasn't right, but she decided to listen for just a moment.

"I'm happy for the both of you. You bring her so much peace. I can see it in her eyes." Jordon said.

"I do my best. I've never loved anyone like this before, but sometimes she makes it very difficult."

"How?"

"Oh that dark, brooding, stoic warrior thing she does from time to time."

"It's the nature of the beast Gabrielle."

"Oh I know that and I accept it. Still it scares me sometimes."

"Do you think she would ever hurt you?"

"Never intentionally. We've been through so much together already. She's had plenty of chances and she hasn't done it yet."

"She could never hurt anyone she truly loves." Jordon added softly.

Xena pulled the door closed quietly, took a deep breath and entered the room. Gabrielle and Jordon were having a mid day meal at the table in the main room. Xena smiled and joined them at the table. She leaned over and kissed Gabrielle and then turned to Jordon.

"Gabrielle and I haven't had time to talk about this yet, but if she wants to help you then so be it." She said extending her hand to Jordon.

Jordon smiled and clasped the warriors arm. Gabrielle was proud of her warrior more at this moment than she ever had been in her life.

"You two are just going to have to be patient with me if I get cranky during this process. It's not going to be easy for me to choke down the desire to kill you Jordon."

"I promise Xena, I'll be a perfect 'gentleman'."

That released the tension in the room and the three friends laughed as they enjoyed the mid day meal. Jordon said she would prepare a list of things that they would need to do to make the whole thing believable. They could get started the next day if Xena and Gabrielle were up to it. They both agreed.

Continued...Part 3


Return to The Bard's Corner