STANDARD DISCLAIMER: Please read the disclaimers from Chapter 1 Personal Assistant. It takes up a lot of data to repeat these disclaimers.

<G>

Comments? xenakat98@yahoo.com

 

Perhaps the chief business of life
Is simply to learn how to love.

********Marsha Sinetar********

 

 

PERSONAL ASSISTANT

CHAPTER 5 – R-E-S-P-E-C-T Find out what it means to me.

Jessica stretched her full length. She hadn’t slept this well in at least a couple of years. For a moment she couldn’t remember where she was, and then the events of the previous day seeped into her consciousness. Somewhere in the house someone was cooking breakfast. Jessica could smell fresh bacon, and the comforting aroma of toasting bread. She decided to get up and shower, and see who was around this early in the morning.

On the other side of town, Kate was searching frantically for her wallet, to run down to the grocery store for supplies for her lunch meeting with Jessica Ryan. The boys were still sleeping, so she thought she would dash out and grab the groceries, and then come back and cook breakfast. Her head was feeling much better, just a little sore where the stitches were. Something though was bothering her. That scary dream she had the previous night kept coming back to her. Her nerves seemed to be on edge.

Kate bent over to pick her wallet up from the floor when someone grabbed her from behind. Without thinking she turned and in a fluid motion hooked her attacker’s arm, and slammed him into the floor. It wasn’t until she had her knee firmly planted in an extremely sensitive position that she realized that she had just dropped Michael Ryan.

Half smiling and half grimacing, Michael held his hands out in surrender. "Hey there, I have no question in my mind, that you are perfectly capable of protecting my sister. Now, can you help me get up? I need to ask you a favor."

Kate blushed a deep crimson. Reacting to the attack was such an automatic response, that Kate surprised herself. I have to watch that hair trigger of mine! "Michael! Gosh, I’m so sorry! I just . . . . reacted. I didn’t hurt you did I? Holy Cow, make noise next time." She fanned herself a few times with her hand. "Okay, I think my heart has stopped slamming. What’s going on? What can I help you with?"

Michael put his arm around her shoulders, and led her over to the sofa in the living room. "Listen, I’m worried sick about Jessie." He had Kate’s complete attention.

"Where is she Michael, what’s wrong?" Kate interrupted, a small tingle of fear sliding up the back of her neck.

"I’m not sure. Jessica called last night, and said there was some trouble. She said she was safe, but she didn’t want to let me know where she was. She did want me to let you know she would be here for lunch. I couldn’t tell, but I think something bad happened on the set. And I would put money on it that Gregory was involved."

Kate pursed her lips, and wrinkled her forehead in thought. "I know it really isn’t my business, but what is this thing with her husband anyway? It seems to me that there was definitely not any love, or even like involved in this relationship. Frankly, I don’t trust him, and I feel as though he intends to do more than mentally abuse your sister."

Michael thought about his response for a moment. He wasn’t sure how much he should tell her, but he had this feeling deep down inside that this petite little red haired girl was going to become much more a part of his family, and soon. Besides, he was already becoming a part of hers. He turned his head towards the room where Steven was still sleeping, smiling in spite of himself.

"Okay, but I’ll probably get killed if Jess finds out I told you. Back when we were kids, our dad lost his job, and he never did find another one. He started drinking, and the more he drank, the more abusive he got. Every once in a while mom would try to stand up to him, and he would slap her down. Injured her several times. Jessie was barely 10, and I was 8. We have another brother, but I haven’t seen or heard anything about him since that time." Kate stopped him for a moment, and went to pour a couple of mugs of coffee for both of them.

When Kate returned, she motioned for him to continue. She didn’t want to make him lose his train of thought. It seemed so strange, yet so comfortable to be sitting here listening to all of the secrets of her idol Jessica Ryan, and her family. Maybe it was the writer in her. That unquenchable need to absorb information. Or maybe something else. Something she couldn’t quite materialize.

Michael continued. "Anyway, dad got meaner and meaner, but he also started getting sicker. We thought it must be the booze, because his skin turned gray, and his hair started to fall out. He was disoriented a lot even when he wasn’t drinking. The abuse excelerated too. Until one day, one by one, we started to fight back. Jessie was first. She clocked him with a frying pan one day, when he grabbed her so hard he almost broke her arm. He was always very careful not to leave bruises where anyone else could see them. He wanted her to do something, that she didn’t like and she told him to leave her alone. That she would never do anything like that ever again. He grabbed her and slammed her into the kitchen counter. She reached back and slammed him with the pan. Then she grabbed me and we ran. We had built a special hiding place back in the woods behind our house. We hid there for hours waiting for him to show up. He never did, but our older brother Kevin finally came. He brought us food, and warm jackets and told us to stay there until someone came to get us. When he left we talked about how maybe Kevin was going to kill him, or maybe the frying pan killed him. We were scared to death. It was way after dark when our Aunt Jean came and got us. We never saw dad, mom, or Kevin again. I know Jessie knows more about what happened than I do, and she keeps telling me that someday she will tell me, but right now it’s better I don’t know. It frustrates the daylights out of me."

"Michael, I’m so sorry. What a terrible story. I’m guessing that Gregory must know something about what happened on that day, and is holding it against her. I know it’s hard, not knowing, but I also know she loves you, and is probably just trying to protect you. I promise not to say anything. It would probably hurt her feelings to find out that you told me. Poor Jessie! She’s been keeping all of this inside of her for so long. No wonder she’s in so much pain. We’ll have to take care of her Michael. It’s not right to make someone go through that. Not right at all!!" Kate was now clearly angry. She was going to do everything she could to be the very best assistant, and friend that Jessica Ryan, and Michael ever had.

Kate hugged Michael fiercely, and then sent him back to snuggle with Steve. Grabbing her keys, she dashed out the door, and jumped in the car to go to the grocery store and do her shopping. She never stopped thinking about all of the things she had just learned. Kate arrived at the grocery store, and spent at least an hour making her selections. She wanted everything to be perfect for her new friends. She paid for her groceries, and then went out to the car to load them into the trunk. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of a limousine that looked strangely like the one that Michael drove Jessica around in. She was a little surprised, thinking that it must be Jessica arriving early. Kate got into her car, and backed out with the intention of beating them to her house.

For no apparent reason she started to feel a little bit nervous about the car. If Michael was sleeping at her house, and he had no idea where Jessica stayed the night before, then who was in that car. Maybe it wasn’t her car. There are lots of similar limousines in Los Angeles, no reason to believe it was Jessica’s. Except for the fact that the limo had just made a sudden turn into the grocery store parking lot, and was heading right for her. Kate took one last look into the rearview mirror. Staring back at her, was the license plate. It read 1TGHINK.

Spelled from front to back it meant KNIGHT1. That could only mean that she was being followed by Jessica’s husband, Gregory.

DAMN!!! Kate fumbled in her fanny pack, and pulled out her cell phone. Quickly dialing her home number, she maneuvered the car into the street, and drove in exactly the opposite direction from her house. There was no way she was going to lead that jerk home. For all she knew, he had already found out where she lived. But hopefully her luck was with her, and they had discovered another way to track her down. The phone rang several more times, when Steven’s sleepy voice answered it.

"Hello? Who’s calling please?" Steven yawned.

"Steven it’s me. Steven where is Michael? I need to talk to him right now!" Kate nearly shouted.

"Honey okay. He’s right here. What’s wrong?" Steven became immediately alert.

"I need to know if anyone called after I left. Someone’s following me." Kate sounded a little scared.

"What? Following you? What in Hades is going on?" Steve was shouting now.

"Kate, this is Michael. Someone did call. They said that they were from your agency, and they were going to stop by with the contract papers from Jessie’s office. I told them you were at the Ralph’s on Buena Vista. They must have tracked you there. I’m sorry, I didn’t think. I should have let Steve answer the phone. Drive to the nearest police station. Get out of the car, and head right inside the building. Don’t let them find the house, and don’t let them stop you. No telling what might happen if they catch you." Michael was frantic.

Kate took his advice. She kept them on the line, to have company while she was being followed. She took them on a winding, wild goose chase. They drove for almost 45 minutes, from city to city, in and out of traffic. Just when they thought they were close, they would pull up on her bumper, and honk at her trying to wave her over to the curb. She kept pretending not to hear them, or to act annoyed until the car pulled up into the lane next to her.

Kate had managed to make it as far as West Hollywood, and was slowly working her way into downtown traffic. The passenger lowered his window, and started waving at her to pull over. She flipped him off, and then gunned it down a side street. When she came out the other side, she turned right and pulled into the service yard of the local police station. She slipped her convertible into a reserved spot between two police sedans. Locking the door, she ran for the back entrance into the station house.

The short round officer standing inside the doorway spotted Kate, and tried to stop her. "Excuse me. Miss? Excuse Me!! You can’t park back there, and you can’t come in this doorway. Hellooooo. Miss? Yeah, you with the red hair? I said. . . ."

"Oh my god!" Kate breathed in relief. "Someone is chasing me in a large black limousine. They’ve been following me since I left my grocery store in Glendale. You have to help me." She pretended to start crying.

"Oh, wow, okay. I’m sorry. Listen come on up to the desk, and tell us what you know. It’s okay. We’ll take care of you, miss, you can bet on it." The officer suddenly transformed himself into super cop. "Right this way. Would you like some coffee? Or tea?"

He looked across the main hallway, bustling with activity, and spotted his Captain. "Yo, captain, I think you should hear this. Sounds like one of those prima donna actors or somebody has been harassing this young lady."

The captain came over, and taking her elbow, led her over to a chair in his office. Kate took the opportunity to take a peek out the window. She could see the long black stretch limo gliding very slowly down the street near the station. The captain looked in the same direction she looked. The familiarity in which he tipped his head in the direction of the car, did not get past her. The captain was obviously on Gregory’s payroll.

"Umm, listen, I think I’ll just be going now. It looks like I may have made a mistake . . . ." Kate muttered.

The captain smiled at Kate, and then picked up his phone. "Hi, Gregory, long time no see. What’s that? Ms. McKenna? Yeah, she’s here Greg, but she never mentioned your name. Something about a red chevy convertible cutting her off. I have her with one of the other officers giving a statement right now. Sure Greg, call me when you have time."

Kate breathed a deep sigh of relief. Apparently the two men were acquaintances, but not friends. She cautiously turned her gaze in the captain’s direction.

"So, I’m sorry I bothered you, Captain. You’ve been very kind." Kate tried sounding businesslike, instead of scared.

"Ms. McKenna? You haven’t asked me why I didn’t give you away. Don’t you even want to know what’s going on?" The captain still had his back to her.

"Well, I wasn’t sure if I should push my luck." Kate mumbled again.

The captain, a distinguished looking man in his late forties, smiled an absolutely open and honest smile at Kate. "You are definitely lucky Ms. McKenna. You are lucky you chose this station, and you are lucky I was here when you did. I’ve been investigating Gregory for several months now. It seems he is involved in some not quite legal ventures here in the city of dreams. Several officers both here, and at another of the stations, are periodically on Gregory’s payroll. I let him think that he has a hold on me, so I can get closer to his operation. He’ll stew for a while at missing you, but you can bet he tries again. I just hope I have enough evidence to bag him, before he does."

The captain was pacing, and stopped to stare her right in the eye. He was trying to emphasize how important this investigation was to him, and how dangerous it could be should Gregory find out that the captain wasn’t really on his side. Kate thought about how much to tell him, and then decided it could only be to her advantage, and Jessica’s if they had an ally on the force.

"Captain, how much do you really know about Gregory, or his wife Jessica Ryan?" Kate decided to play a cat and mouse game with him.

"Alright Ms. McKenna. I’ll play." He caught on quick. "Gregory is a small time hood, a scam artist, and an abusive asshole. I know he has taken a hand to his wife in the past, and I know he is blackmailing her. I just don’t know why, or for how much."

Kate considered her response for a moment. "I don’t pretend to know any of the details, Captain, but I do know that his threats against Ms. Ryan are getting worse. She told me about a situation that occurred last year on the set, and I haven’t seen or talked to her yet today, but something may have happened last night. She seems to have disappeared." Kate congratulated herself for being smart. Even though the captain sounded sincere, he could be using her for information. Like finding Jessica, and leading Gregory to her.

"I take it you don’t know where she is then?" The captain asked directly.

"No, and unless she was guilty of a crime, I probably wouldn’t tell you anyway. Your story sounds legitimate, but I can’t be sure. As her Personal Assistant, it’s my job to protect her. Completely! Now, I think we’ve said enough for the moment. I’d like to leave now if you don’t mind." She risked another glance out the window. The limousine was nowhere in sight.

"He is truly gone Ms. McKenna. However don’t underestimate his power and influence. Money can buy a lot more things than we give it credit for. Including people. I hope that you can find it in yourself to trust me Ms. McKenna. And soon. For the safety of all of you. If you need me, call the number on this card. I’ll do what I can." The captain tried to sound reassuring.

Kate accepted the card, and slipped it into the pocket of her pack. She thanked the captain again, and then slipped out the rear door of his office at his request. She ended up in the hallway, right near the door to the lot where she was parked. The captain had called the original officer that found her, and kept him busy on the phone while she made her exit. It seemed that the captain thought the officer might be one of Gregory’s playmates. He wanted her long gone, before anyone had figured out she had left. He knew she didn’t trust him. But in a strange way that made him feel better. It wouldn’t be good to trust just anyone in this situation. He just hoped that he could keep both Ms. McKenna and Jessica Ryan alive long enough to close this case. It would be a shame for Ms. McKenna to get killed simply because she was doing her job.

Kate walked as quickly as she could to the car, and pulled out, heading in the opposite direction than when she had entered. She appreciated the captain’s caution, but still couldn’t bring herself to trust him. Probably a good thing too. She barely knew Jessica, but what little she did know, was enough to convince her she had to help. She made the determination then that even if it meant she had to die trying. Whoa, I think I need to have my head examined. I need to talk to Laura, and soon!

45 minutes later, Kate pulled into her driveway, just in time to see a large black pickup truck, with an equally as large man behind the wheel. She couldn’t hide her relief at seeing Jessica sitting next to him. They were discussing something, and then the large man patted her on the head with his humongous hand, and then she kind of hugged him, and jumped from the truck. Kate had a moment of what she interpreted as jealousy seep into her heart. Not important McKenna! Ms. Ryan is an adult, and she has every right to spend her time with whomever she wished. As the large guy roared off down the street, Kate discreetly let herself in through the side door. She didn’t want Jessica to think she was spying on her.

Kate set her purchases down on the counter, and began the task of sorting through, and beginning the preparation for lunch. She was trying desperately to keep herself from dropping everything, and running into the living room, to see if Ms. Ryan was okay. Kate had decided that her ordeal was not that important. Important to the overall situation, but not enough to interrupt everyone, and make them feel sorry for them.

Kate took out her knife, and began slicing vegetables for a salad. To her utter surprise, she overheard Michael telling Jessica about what had happened to her. She realized that she had been so quiet coming in, that they didn’t know she was there.

"Jess, she sounded scared. Gregory and the goon squad were chasing her. All I could do was tell her to go to a police station and get help. We haven’t heard from her since." Michael sounded grief stricken.

"Michael, her car is in the driveway. She must have come in when you were letting me in the front door. We have to make sure she’s alright. Come on." Jessica was sounding worried now.

Kate set her knife down, and wiped her hands. She was preparing to head into the other room, when Jessica came bursting through the door into the kitchen. Without even thinking, she wrapped Kate in her strong, warm embrace, and hugged her tightly. Kate was surprised, but then the events of the last day or so took over, and she burst into tears. Jessica held her tightly. Stroking her hair with a light but comforting touch. Michael, who was standing directly behind his sister, decided that he could go and wait in the living room. Something was happening here, and it didn’t involve him.

Jessica realized a moment too late what she had just done. Almost stepping back, she decided that she didn’t give a damn. Besides, Kate needed her just now, and she needed Kate. If the tight grip around her waist, and the warm body in her arms meant anything, then she was staying right where she was.

A few moments later, Kate broke from the embrace, and mumbled something about being sorry, and needing a tissue. Michael miraculously appeared with a box of tissues in one hand, and Steven’s hand in the other. He handed out the obligatory tissues, and then was amused to notice that after Kate availed herself of the tissues, she discreetly slipped back next to Jessica, her arm lightly placed around her waist. Jessica, without missing a beat, wrapped her long arm around Kate’s shoulder, and pulled her in closer.

Kate tilted her head towards Jessica’s ear, and very quietly whispered. "Thanks, I needed that. I’m sorry I am not normally such a bold and out of control person. I guess everything finally got to me." Getting closer still, with the aid of Jessica’s arm pulling her in, she covered her face with her hand to whisper. "Do you think they’re staring at us or what?" Then directly to the men, she turned and smiling said, "Take a picture boys. It will last longer."

The whole group of friends started laughing heartily, the tensions of the moment broken into nervous giggles. All four people piled into a group hug, including the two cats Corky and Violet, who joined the party when their mother started crying. They were very sensitive about those things, and didn’t appreciate the interruption to their dream period. (Which was most of the time).

The group shyly disbursed throughout the kitchen, Jessica, Michael and Steven taking seats at the table, and Kate returning to her cooking. She had originally intended to cook breakfast for the boys, and then lunch for all of them, but the schedule had radically altered with her wild morning encounter with evil. Instead she put together the makings of a five star brunch. The only thing missing was the champagne. Kate opted for orange juice instead. Under the circumstances, they needed to keep their heads on. You couldn’t tell when they might be under siege again.

When the meal was ready, everyone assisted Kate in setting the table, and putting the food out. It was by mutual silent consent, that they decided to put off talking about what happened until after they had eaten. It never occurred to Kate to ask Jessica if she had eaten already today. Looking at the huge piles of food placed around the table, she was worried she had over done it.

Handing Jessica a glass of orange juice, she suddenly felt shy. "Umm, I hope I’m not over feeding you. I wasn’t sure if you were someplace, where you could get something to eat."

Jessica fixed Kate with her beautiful, clear blue eyes. She smiled widely, and placing her hand over Kate’s looked down for a moment at the wonderful meal placed before her. Swallowing, she tried to speak, and stumbled for a moment, a catch in her throat. "I . . . . I managed to choke down a piece of toast and some coffee. My hostess was not very happy that I wasn’t eating, but I just didn’t feel like it. Something in my bones told me there was more trouble. Now that I know you’re okay, I’m . . . . quite frankly famished. Please, sit down and eat with us. We’ll deal with the unpleasantries later."

Kate smiled shyly back at her friend. A warm blush creeping up her neck. The two men were quietly poking each other in the ribs. They both saw something happening, that neither woman would dare speak of. It was almost as if they said something, then what ever this wonderful thing was, that was swirling around them, might just disappear. Before it had a chance to hatch. Jessica shot a sharp, kidding glance at her brother, and then settled into the business of consuming the contents of her plate.

Kate had really outdone herself with this meal. In a very short time, she had eggs benedict, fresh fruit with honey yogurt sauce, and sweet banana bread on the side. Fresh ground coffee capped off the meal. By the time everyone was done eating, the boys both were letting out their belts. Jessica sat back for a moment, and slowly sighed. She hadn’t eaten this well in a long time. She had even made a mental note this morning as she looked in the mirror, that she was starting to look a little on the thin side. Starting to show some ribs where before there had been muscle.

"Why don’t you guys go in the living room, and Kate and I will clean up this mess." Jessica addressed Michael and Steven. "Just don’t get any ideas that we’re going to wait on you all of the time." Kate smiled warmly at the reference to "we" the actress had casually dropped.

It didn’t take twice for the men to get the message. They grabbed fresh cups of coffee, and scrambled out of the women’s way. Jessica started to pick up dishes, and stack them. Kate stood rooted to the spot. Jessica stopped for a moment and tilting her head, smiled.

"What’s the matter? Never seen an actress clear a table before? Heck you should see me clean bathrooms. I am as they say Da’ Bomb." She chuckled at her joke.

Kate blushed again. "I’m sorry. I guess I am just overwhelmed. So much is happening so fast. I just haven’t caught up to myself yet." A small tear escaped her eye again.

Quicker than lightening, Jessica was by her side. Catching the tear with her finger, she took Kate’s other hand in hers. "Listen I know this is insane. If you don’t want to be involved with me, or any of this garbage, it’s okay, I understand. The last thing I want to do is willingly endanger you in any way. I have a lot of sadness, garbage, and yes even a bit of evil in my past. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I felt that I was forcing you into something you couldn’t handle."

Kate leaned into Jessica, and laid her head on her shoulder. "You have no idea how much I want to be by your side. To protect you, and to be there when you need me. I even told myself this morning, that I would die for you. I’m at the same time, terrified, and exhilarated about being a part of your life. I am just so confused about my feelings. One moment, I wish I was ten feet tall and bullet proof. The next moment, I want to be held in your arms, warm and safe from all of the bad things in the world. Then I think about how stupid I am, and the fact that I just met you, or you just met me for the first time a few days ago. I must be insane. I definitely don’t want to be a burden to you. I want to do my job and do it well. Oh, damn, I don’t know what I want, or what the hades I’m saying. You must think that I’m insane."

"No, I don’t. Unless of course we are sharing the same insanity. I have a confession to make. I caught myself the other day thinking about you. And thinking about how a part of me felt as though I had known you for most of my life. I just feel . . . . so comfortable with you. But, my comfort is not important, if it risks your safety." Jessica turned away. Her sadness and regret becoming an ominous cloud in the room.

Kate immediately felt the loss. A sense of overwhelming despair settled over her, as though a part of her had been taken away. Choking back a new torrent of tears, she stepped back towards Jessica, and turning her resumed her position in the taller woman’s embrace. "Don’t. Don’t turn away from me. This has got to be the strangest job interview on record, but every time you pull away, or leave me, the pain becomes stronger. I don’t know what it is, but for the moment, just let me be here for you. Hell, I’ll work for free. Even if it means starving. I’ll make the cats get jobs, or I’ll make Steven dance at night to supplement our income. Just don’t shut me out."

Jessica couldn’t hold herself in check any longer. A trickle of her own tears mixed with Kate’s honest and unbridled revelations. No longer thinking about manners, or propriety, she bent her head low, and captured Kate’s lips in a deep and passionate kiss. All conscious thought disengaged itself and fluttered out the windows of their souls. Kate was so overwhelmed by the passion, that she returned the kiss. Her response was as though she were starving, endlessly, and suddenly she had been fed. The interruption of Michael’s voice coming from the front of the house brought them both back to reality.

Jessica broke the kiss, and then touching her forehead to Kate’s, called back out to Michael and Steven. "Sit down little brother. We have to finish cleaning the kitchen, and then we’ll be right with you." Kate giggled. The last thing she wanted to do right now was clean the kitchen.

Jessica clearly agreed with her. Her heart was pounding, and her knees were turning weak. Unfortunately her rational side took the wheel, and convinced her that this would have to wait. With a quiet groan, and a heavy sigh, she kissed Kate again, with promises of more later. Then she turned Kate around, and marched her to the sink. Kate suddenly turned shy again, and thinking that maybe she had done something wrong, she bowed her head, and began idly rinsing dishes, and loading them into the dishwasher.

 

Buried in her thoughts, she hadn’t realized she had stopped again, until a pair of warm lips grazed the skin below her right ear. Smiling at the warm shivers that ran down her spine, she reached behind her, and grasping Jessica’s hand, pulled her in closer. Kate had never felt like this before. The few times she had dated, had mostly ended in disaster. A trip to the bar, too many drinks, and a night of unsatisfying groping were about all the "romantic" memories she had. Except for one very bad experience, and that had convinced her that feeling this good was no longer an option for her. Right here, right now made all of her loneliness, and all of the waiting worth it. If she died right now, she would die happy.

Jessica nuzzled the top of Kate’s head with her chin. Her voice a soft, low murmur that tickled the edges of Kate’s senses reminding her that if they didn’t stay focused, they were sure to have company. "Are you ready to let them know what just happened? Or would you rather have time to think about it some more. There is no pressure here from me. Honestly, I don’t know what I’m doing anyway. I could have very well just sealed your death warrant, but I do know that something deep inside of me refuses to back away. I have never known such pleasurable feelings before. I do know that I want to know more of them. But only when you are ready."

Kate nodded her head, not looking back, and not speaking her answer. Her body language answered for her. She pressed back into her human shield, and turned her head slightly for another kiss. Then she quickly returned to the dishes. Jessica, blushing again, took the opportunity to finish clearing the table, and then kept herself busy by catching Corky, the bigger and friendlier of the two cats, and hefting her bulk into her lap. Kate was amused at the quick friendship that was born between her pet and her friend. Corky listened attentively, and meowed, and purred appropriately when called upon to comment. She finally crawled up on Jessica’s chest, pushing her head under her chin as though to say, "okay, you can whisper to me, and mommy won’t hear. I’m a good listener".

Kate chuckled. "I see she has captured you in her snare."

Jessica, so deeply involved in her conversation with the cat, hadn’t realized that Kate was finished with the dishes, and was leaning against the counter watching her. Embarrassed, she started to put the animal down, when Kate shook her head.

"Oh, don’t stop on my account." Kate giggled again. "If she feels slighted, the next time you need her she may not want to be bothered. She’s very specific that way."

Jessica smiled. Right now she could turn her back on her entire life, and her career, just for a lifetime of moments like this. It was almost magic. She kept expecting to wake up and find herself back in the terrors of her childhood, or suffering the abuse and humiliation that she regularly received from Gregory. So much to think about, so little time. She gathered the bulk of her furry companion into her arms, and then followed a snickering Kate into the living room to go over the current events with her brother and Steven.

 

I have accepted fear as a part of life
Specifically fear of change—
I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart,
That says: TURN BACK! . . .

********Erica Jong********

CHAPTER SIX: By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes!

Michael and Steven could hardly contain the amusement they were struggling with. They had just spent the last several minutes betting on how long it would take before the two women fell in love. Or at the very least like. Michael was daring. He was sure that it had already happened, and that by default he was the winner. Steven was more cautious. He predicted that it would take a few more days before anything major happened. He knew how careful Katie could be with her feelings, and he was sure that the pressure of work and her marriage would be a definite barrier for Jessica.

Their thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the two women. Jessica carefully settled herself into a comfortable armchair, at opposite ends of the room from where Kate was sitting. They were both unconsciously trying to pretend that nothing had happened. It was all business from here on out. Both men were bursting at the seams watching the display in front of them. Michael elbowed Steven in the ribs, and received a response in kind.

Jessica fixed them with one of her best "I'm going to kill you both" looks. "What's so funny. Just because I'm am wearing a living brooch on my coat doesn't mean it's not fashionable."

The incongruity of her statement made her blush, and the rest of them fell apart laughing. Jessica scowled at them again, and then waited impatiently until they calmed down. While she waited, she quietly whispered to the cat.

"Are you done yet? I want to know what happened this morning. I don't like the idea of Gregory chasing anyone, or threatening them because of me. This is serious." Jessica's revelation quickly squelched the nervous giggling.

"Umm, you're right. We had better get down to brass tacks here. We need to know what happened to both of us, and then decide how to proceed." Without much preamble Katie immediately became all business. She had trained for years for similar kinds of harassment, and threats that were being made, and she was ready to jump in with both feet.

The next thirty minutes or so were spent recapping both women's ordeals. Everyone was amazed at the fact that Deborah's family had involved themselves so readily in Jessica's affairs. Of course injuring a member of their family, while trying to eliminate Jessica didn't win Gregory and his goons any popularity points.

Jessica was especially concerned about Kate's ordeal that morning, and the fact that Gregory was so close to finding out where Kate lived. The last thing she wanted was for Gregory to find her, and attempt to harm her. Or use her for extortion.

"What would you think if we moved this entire operation to another location, say a security hotel downtown somewhere?" Jessica ventured forth with the question. Somehow she knew before she said it that she would be met with opposition.

Kate surprised her though. "I think you might be right. We would all probably be safer, if we weren't so easy to find. All he has to do is contact Diane, or one of his buddies, and soon enough we'll be found. With my luck, he'll probably blow the place up." This was met by a semi-terrified look from Steven.

Michael comforted his friend, and then added his comments. "I'll book the rooms. If you don't mind, I think we would get along better, if we weren't under each other's feet all of the time. I'll need to know if there is anything special anyone wants or needs for your temporary lodging." Kate asked if she could have a modem line. She wanted to be able to maintain contact with Laura.

They discussed further details, and then made plans to be safely in their new location by nightfall. Fresh cups of coffee were handed around, and then silence fell among them as they contemplated their collective futures. Jessica was at the highest risk, because of the responsibilities of her job. Kate refused to be locked away. She felt that her place was right beside her boss.

A heated discussion was about to ensue, when a loud knocking sounded at the door. Michael and Steven ducked behind the couch, while Kate dropped to the floor, and crawled to the small window that flanked the front door. Jessica got ready to cover her on the other side, when Kate carefully pulled the curtain aside just a tiny bit. Suddenly Kate was rolling backwards on the floor. She landed on her feet, and in one fluid motion she was in combat stance. The others visibly paled, expecting Gregory, and a group of gun wielding terrorists to come busting through the door, and fill them all full of lead.

Kate did her best to stay as straight faced as possible. When she could no longer contain herself, she let out a loud "HYAHHH!", and then grabbed the knob and threw open the door. Standing on the front porch, looking every bit as though she had been caught naked at the grocery store, was Diane, Steven and Kate's boss.

"WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?!?!? Give me a heart attack or something. Honey! You scared the daylights out of me. What is wrong with you?" Diane was alternately yelling, and stomping one foot as she stepped into the room, and stopped each time to address Kate, who was laughing so hard she almost wet her pants.

Michael and Steven, were visibly shaken. They were certain that they were about to meet death. No one expected to see the devil in a blue dress and stilletos that came in the door. Jessica was the most bewildered of all. She hadn't realized that Kate had such a warped, and yet cute sense of humor. She caught Kate's eye, and then tilted her head, and smiled a half grin.

"I am so sorry you guys." Kate pleaded to her friends. "It was getting so intense in here, I thought I might loosen it all up a bit. I didn't mean to scare all of you."

"Honey, what has gotten into you? Geez, after the morning I've had, what with the office being torn apart and all, the last thing I need is to have you Hyahing, and scaring me half to death." Diane was still huffing and angry.

Jessica was the first to process what Diane had just said. "You said your office was torn apart? Tell us what happened."

Diane, always ready to be in the center spotlight, settled in to tell her story. "I got in around 9:00 this morning, because you know I see my yoga teacher before I come into work. Oh I just love yoga, and . . ." She paused when she got a collective glare from the group. "Okay, okay. Anyway, someone broke in through the door, by jimmying the lock, and basically ransacked everything. The only thing missing was Kate's personnel file folder."

Kate turned a sad look in Jessica's direction. Jessica wanted to reach for her, and hold her, but she wasn't sure if that would be appreciated given Diane's presence. Or her brother and Steven for that matter. After all, Jess, she may change her mind after this.

Steven was the first to speak. "Maybe we should start packing up and getting ready to leave here. There can't be much time before they find us."

Diane looked around the room, questions crossing her perfectly made up features. "Who's coming, and why are we packing? What don't I know here?"

Kate shook herself out of her shock and depair, and attempted to bring Diane up to speed. "So, you see, they are trying to use me to find Jessica. Apparently Gregory is trying to kill Jessica. We believe he may have some sort of Insurance policy on her that gives him everything if she is killed on the job. She was supposed to go and sign it today, but we decided that was definitely not going to happen. He needed my file, to find out where we live, to either locate Jessica, or find me."

Diane seemed to consider, and then process all of the information she had just heard. "Why would he want to find you? What if Jessica wasn't here if he came here. Why would he need to bother with you?"

Jessica stepped in this time. "It wouldn't be beyond Gregory to kidnap Kate and use her as leverage against me. He knows I wouldn't sacrifice her or anyone else for my problems. If I didn't go to him, he would torture, or kill her. The man is insane."

"Well, good thing he didn't get the information he was seeking." Diane said noncommittally.

All eyes immediately turned in her direction. "What do you mean he didn't get the information?" Jessica asked quietly.

"Oh, darlin', I'm sorry, I took the papers out, and mis-filed them when I sent the file out for copying, and loading onto a disk. I am trying to join the 90's with my filing. So far though, I have a long way to go to get caught up." Diane took on a look of deep regret.

The group looked around at each other, and breathed a sigh of relief. "That buys us some time. Let's get busy and start packing to go. Kate, I'll help you, and Michael you help Steven. Try to keep it light folks, and don't leave anything around that might lead them to us." Jessica decided to take charge of this operation.

Michael made the appropriate phone calls, and then he and Steve started packing a suitcase, and gathering some of the necessary business paraphenalia for Steven's job. They left first, planning to stop at Michael's place, and then go on to the hotel. In the midst of all of the activity, Diane decided to leave and take care of some other business. She promised to be in contact with them all later.

All that was left, was to take care of Kate and her belongings. Jessica lost track of her, and after a small search found her sitting on the back porch staring at the flowers. Kate didn't turn to see who was there when Jessica came out the back door.

Hesitating for a moment, Jessica reached to touch her shoulder, and then pulled back. "I don't bite, you know. I'm just trying to gather my thoughts together. This is all happening so fast, and I'm just a little shook up. I mean what about Corky and Violet?" Kate was softly crying.

Jessica smiled. So that was the problem. Piece of cake. "Kate? Do you actually think that I was just talking to Corky about my problems? I should say not. I told her to pack her bags, that mommy, Violet, Jessica, and Corky were going on a vacation. She thought it would be fun, but she wanted to know if we could leave Violet here. She said Gregory could have her if he wanted her, because the Corky could have all of the cookies to herself." Jessica held her breath.

Her imagination was soon rewarded. Kate jumped from her seat, and wrapped her arms around Jessica's neck, squeezing her tightly. "I just didn't know how you would feel, and I . . .I . . .I couldn't leave them. I couldn't. I was contemplating getting a gun, and barracading myself in here. I knew that was a stupid thought. But . . ."

Jessica placed her fingers over Kate's lips effectively stopping her sobs for a moment. "Hey, it's okay. I'm not leaving you or your babies to that bastard. If he harmed any of you, I wouldn't be able to control myself. No way, you're all going with me, or I am not going. And that's final."

Kate buried her face in the soft shoulder of Jessica's shirt. Her mind was spinning with all the things that were happening. Just three days prior she was a PA for an aging Diva, and now she was involved in a life or death situation, and she was rapidly falling in . . . well, maybe, just maybe, love. I think I'm losing my mind. I need to think, but I can't. Later . . . . . .

Kate took Jessica by the hand, and led her into the house. After making a preliminary trip through the house to determine what was important, and what wasn't they packed a medium duffle bag with Kate's clothes, and then another with kitty toys, and food etc. for Corky and Violet. Jessica busied herself with loading the bags and cat supplies into Kate's car. She was very proud of herself that she remembered the cat box, and all the various things that go along with that. She had never had a pet, but she knew the basics.

A very short time later, Jessica went in search of Kate. She was starting to worry again about allowing herself to fall victim to her emotions. Jessica had spent so much of her life hiding her feelings from the rest of the world, that she was starting to have doubts. Do I continue this? Am I wrong? I should just back off, and let her go. I'll end up hurting her or worse. I need to think. But I can't. I have to think. Later . . . . .

Kate was sitting at her desk downloading information from her PC to a laptop computer. Corky was sitting on her lap, while Violet was draped over the top of her desk. Jessica stood in the doorway for a moment, she was debating on whether or not she should go in. She almost felt like she did not belong in this picture. Maybe I can disappear before anybody figures out I'm gone.

Corky saw her first, and started meowing at her new friend. "Aren't thinking about taking off now are you?" Kate startled her out of her thoughts.

"No, I , no I." Jessica had a "deer in the headlights" look.

Kate turned, and smiled. Her look totally melted away any misgivings and fear that were building in Jessica's heart. Kate tilted her head and held out her hand. "I didn't know you could speak Spanish. No hay hmmm? Que paso? Muy malo, chica?"

Jessica blushed, and took the offered hand, her much larger hand completely wrapping around those delicate fingers. "No, I mean yes, I mean to say, that . . . well, I don't know what I'm saying. Stupid cat anyway. Does she have radar or what?"

Kate giggled, and stroked Corky's head. "Maybe she does. I think though, that she likes laying on your shoulder. Her primary focus is comfort, and she thinks that your shoulder is the most comfortable she's laid her head on yet. And, truth be told, I agree with her. She is a very sensible person, don't you think?"

The two women's eyes locked. Both gazes were unwavering. It almost seemed as though a curtain of energy had been lifted, and they were seeing each other for the first, or maybe the hundredth time. Jessica bent slowly, never losing her grip on those beautiful emerald pools. Touching her lips softly to Kate's equally as soft lips, she refused to break her gaze. Whether from fear of rejection, or fear of waking from a dream, she kept her eyes open and locked in place. Slowly Kate's eyes closed, a feeling of utter trust, and security wrapping her up like a favorite old blanket. Deepening her response, and flirting with the idea of throwing caution to the wind, Jessica stood back up, pulling Kate into her arms as she did. Both women felt as though they were moving through a warm pool of still water. Nothing around them mattered. Slowly Jessica extended her tongue, brushing along Kate's lips politely requesting entry. Kate responded immediately drinking from her partner's invitation like a hummingbird to a flower.

The fire slowly built in intensity. Jessica from a long practiced exile from happiness or personal pleasure, and Kate, a self-imposed restraint born by a need to succeed, and a deep fear brought by her brutal rape the prior year, and an inability to get close to anyone since she had been treated so horribly by someone she thought she cared about.

Hands began to move of their own accord, lightly touching, caressing each surface they touched. The phone began to ring, and went largely unnoticed so intense was the energy passing between the two women.

Suddenly the loud and evil sound, that could only be Gregory broke through the veil of passion that surrounded them. BEEP! "READY OR NOT, HERE I COME!! Be ready little rabbit. Big daddy's on his way. He's going to show you what a real man is like, and then you're going to take him to his bad girl wife. Act right, do what I say, and you'll come out of this only slightly damaged. Fight me, and I'll kill you. After I get what I want. Hard or easy, babe. It's your call. Toodle-oooo."

Quickly, but reluctantly they separated. Kate disconnected the laptop, and grabbed Corky, while Jessica grabbed the snoozing Violet. They both shoved their reluctant passengers into the cat carrier Kate had brought earlier from the garage. She silently promised them she would make up for it later. Running to the closet in her office, she grabbed a larger, heavy duffle bag. Jessica grabbed it from her has they hastened out the door to Kate's car. Kate carefully placed the cat carrier in the back seat of her car, and then indicated that Jessica should put the large bag back there too.

As they jumped into the car, Jessica began to fear that they would be too late, that they might not make it out of the driveway before Gregory arrived. As Kate started the car, and threw it into reverse, her cell phone rang. Digging in her fanny pack, she withdrew the phone and grazed the button with her thumb.

"Hello?" she said hesitantly. "Diane? What's going on? Where are you? You WHAT? Diane, don't get me wrong, I appreciate you looking out for us, but you might have gotten yourself killed. No, thanks, you're a real pal, you know that don't you? We'll see you later. Call first. If our cover gets blown, we'll be on the run again. Love you too Diane."

Kate hung up, and slowly dropped her phone back in her bag. Jessica's patience wearing thin, she couldn't wait for Kate to tell her what had just happened. "So? What happened? What's going on?" She sounded exasperated.

"Calm down. I'm thinking. Diane, Gods love her, but she can be real stupid sometimes, went down to the office building where Jackson Briggs' office is located. She had a feeling that if Gregory didn't find my information, the next stop would probably be Jackson's office. She was right. She stood around, waiting to see when they left, and called me immediately. She doesn't think anyone saw her, but she wanted to make sure we were gone." Kate slowed down in traffic now, the urgency to get away waning by each mile.

"If they're just now leaving Jackson's office, then it will be at least 30-40 minutes before they get to your house. That will give us a great lead, and time to get settled before I have to go to work." Jessica visibly relaxed.

"Oh, I forgot you still have to work tonight. Well, you're not going alone. Since I am now officially an employee, I expect to be in your general vicinity at all times. And there won't be any discussion about it either. Boy, now I am glad I brought my other bag along." Kate was thinking aloud.

Jessica almost started to argue about Kate going to work with her, but decided she probably wouldn't win anyway. Her thoughts turned to the heavy duffle bag sitting next to the surprisingly quiet cat carrier. "What's in that bag anyway? It was pretty heavy. And what's wrong with the cats? They're so quiet.

Kate shot a quick glance over her shoulder at the cat carrier. "Violet has a tendency to get car sick, and Corky hates it. Corky's probably bunched in the corner with her skirts up, praying that Violet holds it until we get there. Violet is just plain praying. Oh, and the bag? It's full of weapons. An MK-47 assault rifle, a Kendo Samurai sword, some throwing stars, a Glock 9mm revolver with a 90 round speed loader, and various other support items. I also have two flak jackets, and both a stun gun, and several pepper spray cannisters. Oh, and there's also rounds of ammunition for all of the guns. I hate guns, and actually I hate violence. But sometimes . . . ." Her thought was interrupted by Jessica's first gasp of disbelief, and then her nervous chuckles.

"Hades, don't ever let me make you mad. What are you doing with all of that stuff anyway? Is it yours? I mean like are you licensed to have all that stuff?" Jessica was blown away. Figuratively speaking of course.

Kate shot her a sideways glance. "I thought you read my resume'." She playfully admonished her friend. "I am a highly, and expensively trained killing machine. Each of those weapons were registered and given to me as I completed each phase of my training. I didn't ever expect to have a use for them, but I didn't want to leave them laying around. You never know who might find them, and to what end that would come. I just feel better having them with me. Besides, if we end up with a show down at the OK Corral, maybe we'll have a fighting chance."

Jessica turned her head so fast she almost gave herself whiplash. Her long dark hair whipped across her eyes, slapping her in the face. "Excuse me?" She stared incredulously.

Kate giggled at her reaction. "Don't worry. I could never shoot another living being, even if it was Gregory. But you have to admit, 5 feet 4 inches tall, wielding an MK-47 assault rifle is a pretty formidable picture. Besides, the vests might come in handy. Don't you wear a jumpsuit on your show?" Kate knew very well what Kendra Knight was regularly attired in. She knew every curve by heart. However, she was much too embarrassed to show the depth of her obsession.

"Hmmm, you know very well what Kendra Knight wears. Did you forget we were just standing in your office a minute or two ago?" Jessica was grinning slyly.

The thought hadn't occurred to Kate at the time, but now she was thoroughly embarrassed. "Oh, " she said quietly, "I wasn't thinking. I'm so sorry. Actually if I could, I would crawl under a rock and die right about now. AUUGGHHHH!" She slapped the steering wheel with the palm of her hand.

Jessica let her have her moment, then reached over and took her free hand. "Hey, it's okay. Sometimes entertainers get so wrapped up in what they do, they forget the fans. And quite often, they are offended by the attention. I'm probably more embarrassed by it than you are. When you go through life being reminded about how to stand, how to look, how to act, constantly pretending to be someone else, and forever being taken advantage of by pond scum, it is hard to believe that anyone would be interested in you. Especially when you don't like yourself . . . .I guess I don't find what I do, or who I am very admirable. It's just a job. I . . . don't feel glamorous. I'm not sure I could be glamorous."

Kate looked out the side window, contemplating her response. "Well, I must say that's not the usual response I expect from an actress. However, I think you're underselling yourself. Just from my use of the internet alone, the fan response to you, and your show is overwhelming. And glamour? Not important to the average fan. I mean I'm sure there are those moments, when they do a photo shoot with you in evening wear, or whatever. But the actual photos that get the responses are when you are dressed down in casual stuff, and they don't have you layered in tons of makeup. My favorite is the Valentine's Day picture they took of you in the tuxedo. It was very . . . . hot. Besides, most of the people I talk to like you for your honesty, and your natural, friendly attitude. Even though, your "representatives" depict you as hard, cold, and a bear to work with. Diane told me you eat PA's for breakfast."

Jessica blushed first with embarrassment at the compliments, and then with anger at the way she was represented to the public. She was left without a response to either claim. She decided to avoid the issue for now. "So, did anyone ever tell you that you have a gift for gab? That's very admirable. I often have a hard time communicating with people. I guess it's just from years of training to keep my mouth shut and go unnoticed. Maybe that's why people think I'm so mean. But, really it's just to be invisible."

Kate stole a sideways glance at her. Jessica had such a sad look on her face, that Kate wished she could stop the car and just hold her. "Hey," she gave the hand she was holding a squeeze, "I don't think you're mean, and I never have. I don't trust anything anyone tells me about other people without meeting those people first. I learned a long time ago, to form my own impressions. It wouldn't be right to do otherwise."

Jessica pulled Kate's hand to her lips and kissed the back of it tenderly holding it against her cheek with her eyes closed. After a few moments, her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of light crying coming from Kate.

"What's wrong? I didn't hurt your feelings did I? I wouldn't want to do that. I would rather die. " Jessica was deeply concerned.

Kate shook her head, trying to hold her tears in check. Taking several deep breaths, she forced herself to calm down. "It's just the feeling of pain, that I feel from you. It's not right. I want to hold you, and make it all go away. Mean people SUCK!"

Their discussion was interrupted by two simultaneous incidents. The traffic in front of them had ground to a sudden halt, and poor Violet couldn't hold herself in check any longer. She heaved twice, and then exploded in the carrier. Corky immediately began yowling. Kate looked apologetically at Jessica. She was sure that this whole scenario must really be making the actress sick. It's not every day you get to witness a carsick cat in rush hour traffic.

"Oh, Gods, I'm so sorry. That is so gross. If I had known we were going to travel today, I wouldn't have fed her. Poor Corky! She's probably standing on her tiptoes about now." Kate was stricken.

Jessica kissed the back of her hand again, and then much to Kate's surprise unfastened her seat belt, and turning in her seat reached for the cage, grabbed Corky first setting her on the seat. Then without removing Violet, she took the small blanket that provided the floor for the cage, and carefully rolled it up, effectively keeping its contents from spilling. Making sure that Violet was settled again, she closed the door, picked Corky up and turned back in her seat. Fastening her seat belt, she settled in for the rest of their ride, Corky quite smugly nestled on Jessica's chest, with her head under her chin.

Kate stared at her in disbelief. "You, uhh, you just . . . ." She couldn't finish her sentence.

"What? They were in distress, as were you, so I thought I could help. Is that okay?" Jessica smiled at her bewildered friend.

"Umm, yes, of course it is. I'm just, umm, well, surprised. All though I'm ashamed of myself for being so. Why would I think that just because you are who you are, doesn't mean you wouldn't take care of the cats. I should close my mouth while I'm behind." Kate turned her gaze back to the traffic, clearly embarrassed, for about the millionth time.

Jessica was thoroughly amused. Jessie, Jessie, Jessie! What do you think you are doing? Being happy. For as long as it lasts. Because I feel great.

Several more minutes, and Kate signaled to exit from the freeway. They managed to work their way through the busy traffic, and then before too much more time went by, ended up at the hotel.

Michael had chosen wisely. He had reserved cottages for them at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Each cottage has its own security system, and the management is very discreet, an protective of their guests. Many entertainers, and other wealthy people had stayed there, and more than once an irate husband or wife had tried to bribe, cajole, or threaten the staff into leading them to their spouses. Not once has a staff member ever given in. It was an unwritten rule, that they formed an inpentrable barrier against the outside world. Of course, you had to pay for the privilege, but it was well worth it to those who could afford it.

Kate had driven by here hundreds of times, and fantasized about staying in one of the cottages, or even the main hotel. She never would have believed that she would be going into hiding with her boss here. They pulled into the driveway in front of the lobby, and allowed the valet, and the bell boy to take charge of the car. The staff offered to take the cats as well, but Kate was reluctant.

"Tell you what, why don't we let them take the carrier, the blanket and the cats, and get everyone cleaned up and comfortable. Then when they're done, they can bring them over to the cottage. They'll take good care of them, and feed them as well. I promise, nothing bad will happen." Jessica tried to reassure Kate.

Kate looked at her pensively. "Okay, if you say so. But . . . . .we've never been separated, and I would feel bad if they were upset. If you think they'll be alright, well okay." She grimaced slightly at the thought of being separated from her best friends.

Jessica took Kate's arm, and followed the bell boy down the pathway to their cottage. Jessica gave the bell boy a tip, and then ordered a menu for room service. While she took care of business, she failed to notice Kate standing in the corner, looking bewildered, and out of place.

Quickly she crossed the room, and then stopped short of grabbing Kate and wrapping her tightly in an embrace. She correctly guessed that this could be part of the problem.

"What's wrong? Would you like another room? What can I do to make you feel better?" She realized she was babbling, but she didn't know what else to do.

Kate felt terrible that she hurt her friend, without really even trying. "Wait, I just . . ., I don't know what's wrong. I guess things are moving so fast, that I can't keep up. Yesterday, I meet you in the restroom of your agent's office building, and today I'm sharing a room with you in a luxury hotel. I couldn't even afford a towel from here, let alone spend the night. I mean. . . .I don't know what I mean. This is all so weird. Sit down with me here at the table. We need to talk about all of this." She realized she was babbling as well, but things were so crazy. She really wanted to be here with Jessica, but she didn't want to seem like a freeloader either.

Bewildered and confused herself, Jessica sat down in the chair that Kate indicated for her. "Listen, I understand if you want to back out of all of this. I mean, I've endangered your life, kissed you at least three times without an invitation, and basically thrown myself lock, stock, and dysfunction at you. This would make a great soap opera. I haven't even taken you to the personnel office, and set you up with any of the important stuff. Probably because I don't know what the important stuff is that I need to set you up with. There is always someone who takes care of everything. I'm surprised I get to go to the bathroom without an entourage. I never carry any money, or credit cards. The money I gave the bell boy was from Michael. I just sign the paper, and do my job. Somewhere, my money gets deposited, or invested, but where or how I don't even have a clue. Unfortunately Gregory takes care of a large part of that. . . . ."

Kate reached over and took Jessica's hand, effectively silencing her for a moment. "Hey, talk about gift of gab. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just feel like a freeloader. I mean I realize that in the classic sense I work for you now, but I feel bad. I should be paying for some of this. As far as endangering my life, well in the big picture, this is the most fun I have had in a long time. And the kisses?" Kate had the decency to blush right about now. "I think they did more to endanger my life, than Gregory and all of his sorry ass sheep. I just don't want you to think I am taking advantage of you. I feel like I better tell you about the depth of my fandom. I don't want there to be any secrets between us. And I want our friendship, and our working relationship to be as honest as possible."

Jessica considered everything that Kate had just said. She took a moment to stare deep into Kate's emerald eyes, and see if she could find any reason not to believe in her. Nothing came to mind. Nothing but honesty, and a great deal of passion. About herself, and her beliefs. Jessica could find no fault in those attributes. She stood up, and getting down on bended knee, responded in the best way she could.

"Kate, I don't have any qualms about our friendship or our working together. I've spent so much time being around people whose only goal in life is to literally suck the life out of you. I don't see you doing that. I would quit today, if it meant making a pathway for you in my life. I need you." She couldn't say anymore. She found herself choking up.

"Well, I still think I need to tell you about my hobbies. You see, and this is quite embarassing, but I, as well as several of my internet friends and acquaintances, well, we write." Kate began wringing her hands nervously.

"Yes, lots of people write to each other on the internet." Jessica was trying to help her along.

"No, I mean yes, they do. But this is different. We write stories. Lots of stories. They are called fan fiction. You know, like about your favorite TV show. See what I mean?" Kate looked at Jessica for any signs of recognition. Unfortunately none were coming forth.

"What kind of stories are these? By your reaction, I might think they were like about me, and my show, and me having sex with Deborah my costar, or you for instance or something." Jessica couldn't help it. She was starting to make Kate squirm, and she kind of enjoyed it. Someone at the studio had showed her a story about her a long time ago. She thought it was pretty amazing stuff, but the studio discouraged the performers from reading any more. They didn't want them to compromise the work that was already being done for them. She thought it quite flattering that Kate wrote stories about her. She just hoped that they didn't start including her private life. That made her stop and look at Kate for a moment.

Kate was now deeply embarrassed. It was beginning to seem like embarrassed was a good buzz word for this relationship. "Oh well, I guess you do read minds. Yeah, that's right we do write about Kendra Knight, and we put her into all kinds of well, situations. And yes, oh shoot, you do have relationships with your costar, and various villains, and especially with me. Oh GOD! I can't believe I just told you that. Kill Me Now!!!" Kate covered her face with her hands.

Jessica gave her a moment, and then burst into laughter. "Hey it's okay. I read a fanfic story a long time ago. I think it's great that it inspires people to bring out their creativity. I just have one request. Please don't go an start describing my private life, okay? That would probably freak me out. Other than that, knock yourself out. Heck, show me some one of these days. Even thought we are not supposed to read it, what they don't know won't hurt them. Now listen, I need to get off this floor, and eat something before work. What about you? Oh, and if it's too much for you, I'll sleep on the sofa. I don't mind, and I don't want you to feel pressured."

Kate held her hands out, and helped Jessica stand up. "I appreciate that. And thanks again for everything. I think you are probably the nicest person I have ever met in this business, with the exception of Lola. Of course she had her moments, but I forgave her. She was always trying to get me into bed. I never gave in, but she kept trying. It got to be a game. I will always love her though, you can put money on that." Without out thinking, Kate pulled herself into Jessica's embrace, and standing on her tiptoe's, kissed her lightly on the lips.

Jessica smiled warmly, and then held her tightly. She didn't want to spoil the moment by pushing the issue. They stood like that for several minutes, and then a knock at the door interrupted them.

Kate reluctantly broke the embrace, and waving Jessica back behind her, slowly peeked in the spy-hole, and checked to see who was there. Steven and Michael were standing outside the door, with the cat carrier, and both cats. Kate unlocked the door, and let them in. Releasing the cats from their plastic prison, she was delighted to see that they had been brushed, and bathed, and blow dried. The three B's. She gave each of them a hug, and then turned them loose to explore the cottage. Jessica had already busied herself setting up the cat box in the bathroom. That still blew Kate away. An actress setting up a cat box.

 

 The story of love is not important.
What is important is that one is capable of love.
It is perhaps the only glimpse we are permitted of eternity.

********Helen Hayes********

 

CHAPTER SEVEN: And the band played on . . . . .

Michael was the first to make a suggestion about getting Jessica to the studio, and then back again. "I think we should either hire another car, or check with the hotel, and see if they can transport you. Oh, and I would highly recommend that you contact Mr. Director, and make sure that he does everything he can to keep Gregory occupied. Event though it's your money that's financing the show now, it's made to look like Gregory is the one. He might make a major scene, and then he's close to you. Too close! I really think it is a good idea for Kate to be going with you. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get us something realiable for transport after this. As long as we can keep him out of here, we should be okay."

Jessica mulled over his suggestions, and then the group made their minor suggestions. Kate was surprisingly quiet. She seemed to be somewhere else entirely. And not necessarily a bad place, judging by the look on her face. Steve was just plain excited about the whole thing. It was like playing international spy.

Michael and Steven decided to take off for a while, and check on the car situation. Jessica waited until they were gone, and then decided to take a shower, and get ready for work. Kate was sitting at the table staring out into space again, a silly grin on her face. However, when Jessica started to take her clothes off, Kate's attention was suddenly drawn back to the here and now. Like lightening striking the back of her head. She was not sure where to look, or what to look at.

Jessica not even thinking, grabbed her bag, and started to dig through it looking for something to wear to the studio. She heard very faintly, a sort of strangling sound from behind her. Again without thinking, she turned around to see if Kate was all right. Kate was trying desperately to count threads in the carpet, and to not stare. She could feel the crimson heat creeping up the back of her neck again.

Jessica could have slapped herself. "Oh God, I am so sorry. I forget that real people might not be as immodest as I am. I'm so used to undressing for costumers, and studio people, that it just comes naturally. I never was very modest anyway. I mean we're all born naked aren't we?" She smiled, and tried to make Kate giggle.

Kate swallowed four or five times, and then tried desperately to speak. "It's okay, fine, not a problem. I'm a big girl, I can handle it. I mean we're both adults, aren't we? Of course we are. Umm, tell you what, while you're in the shower, I'll see if I can catch Laura. If I don't check in with her every once in a while, she panics, and starts calling 911 to all of my friends down here. Not that I have any, but well, she's unpredictable. Yeah, that's just what I'll do. Uh huh, you betcha."

Jessica shrugged her shoulders, stirring up another of many successive jolts of lightening that ran up and down Kate's spine. "Tell you what, when I get out, I'll call the director, and get things going, then I'll call the office, and have my Executive Secretary set up all of your personnel stuff. If you have a bank account where you want your checks to be deposited, leave the name of the bank, and the number on the table by the phone. It will be easier that way." Then she turned, and went into the large bathroom.

As soon as she was out of sight, Kate threw her head between her knees, and breathed deeply ten times. All along, ever since she had been a fan, the internet topic would stray to the subject of what Jessica Ryan looked like without her clothes. Well, no more mystery there. Nope, no way. Okay, now someone needs to come and restart my heart, because I think I just might expire. Right now! Calm McKenna, calm. She needs you to protect her, not lust after her. But holy moly. I definitely will not be able to keep my mind on much for the next few. Whooo boy!

Kate took another moment to calm her nerves, and then pulled out her laptop. After a small search, she located the modem line, and plugged in, and then dialed for her E-mail. As expected, Laura left her a huge bunch of messages, about the job, and whether or not she was really taking it, and should Laura and April become worshippers now of Kate, etc. After a few moments, the buddy window popped up, indicating that Laura had signed on, and acknowledged Kate's presence on the net.

 

Lady Knight: Hey there Goddess, pal of mine. So what's up with you? Are you working for the true and only Jessica Ryan yet? Or is she waiting for me to relocate, and take your place? Just tell her I'm on my way.

PAK: Hey Laura. Yes, I started working for her this morning, indirectly. Umm, I can't tell you everything, but someone is trying to hurt her, and I am going to do everything I can to protect her. Can you do me a favor? Use your resources, and see what you can find out about her husband Gregory. He's bad stuff Laura. If we don't stop him, he might kill her.

Lady Knight: Whoa, no way. You aren't yanking my chain are you? That sounds like something right out of the movies.

PAK: I'm not kidding. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't. At least not yet. Other than that, things have been . . . . wonderful. She really is a neat person. Friendly, funny, and well just great. We're in hiding right now, so her husband doesn't find us. Steven is with us too. It seems he may have a new boyfriend. Michael Ryan, Jessica's brother. They are so cute together, and I just love Michael. You can tell he really love's his sister too.

As the two friends chatted away, Jessica finished with her shower, and then dressed in black jeans, and a black turtle neck sweater. She came out of the bathroom, drying her long dark hair with a towel. Kate stole a quick look at her, and again had her breath taken away. She looked down in time to notice that she had just typed a bunch of garbage to Laura. Fortunately, she hadn't sent it yet, or Laura would be on her in a second.

"How's your friend Laura doing?" Jessica called to her.

"Huh? Oh, she's fine. Just wondering where I've been. I asked her to do a project for us. She has an amazing number of contacts in the cyberworld. She is going to do some research on Gregory, and then download it to us later. I was just going to put her on standby for a moment, while I showered." Kate was rapidly typing while she spoke.

 

PAK: Listen, we have to leave for the studio in a little while, so I need to take a shower. Stand by for a few minutes, okay? BRB!

Lady Knight: Okey dokey kiddo. I'll be right here when you get back. I can spend some time reading my mail, and catching up.

While Kate took her bag into the bathroom to shower, Jessica used the hotel phone to call Ted, the director of her show. "Hey, Carrie, this is Jessica. Can you find Ted for me?"Jessica had to wait a few minutes, while Carrie, Ted's assistant located him. She sat down at the table, and took a look at Kate's computer, and the prior conversation with Laura. A mischievous streak took ahold of her, and she decided she would have some fun. She started typing a message to Laura, and then hit the send button.

 

PAK: Hey, I'm back. Fast shower. Listen, have I got a secret for you. Did you know that Jessica Ryan has four nipples. No kidding.

Lady Knight: Oh yeah, sure. And how pray tell do you know this? X-ray glasses or something. Give me a break kid! You haven't even known her long enough to see her naked or anything. I'm telling you though, my money is on the two of you getting together. And soon. It's about time too. Babe you need to put your past behind you, and find someone who can love you. Just for you, and no BS.

Jessica wished she could talk to Laura herself. She wanted to know more about Kate. Why she detected a small sorrow about her. Jessica was well aware about the rape, and that alone would be enough to mess up anyone's mind. But it seemed as though there was something else. I guess we all have our secrets!

PAK: Actually, I have seen her naked. Apparently she's not very modest. She undressed right in front of me. I almost died!

Just as Jessica hit the send button, she looked towards the bathroom to see Kate watching her mess with her friend Laura. She couldn't tell for sure, but she thought, maybe she just might be in trouble. She tried the sheepish "Kid's hand in the cookie jar" look, and was rewarded with a smile. A strained smile, but a smile just the same.

"What are you doing? I hope you aren't making trouble for me. Laura's pretty smart, but she is also a great dreamer. What did you tell her?" Kate inquired, a question in her eyes.

"I was just messing with her a bit. It's still on the screen if you want to see it?" Jessica decided there was no lying to this girl. She pushed the chair back, so that Kate could get a look at the screen.

"Oh My God! I can't believe you said that to her. Four nipples? Oh wow, she must be going crazy by now. And you told her I saw you naked? Oh man. This is too much. You're nuts, you know that. Completely nuts." Kate patted Jessica on the head, and then chucked her under the chin for good measure. Kate carefully hid her reaction to Laura's statement about the two women getting together. She pretended not to notice.

She pushed Jessica back a little further, and then pulled another chair over, so she could try to undo some of the damage that Jessica may have just caused with her friend. Kate scrolled down the screen, to check out Laura's response.

 

Lady Knight: Who is this? What alien has captured my friend, and taken over her body. No Kate McKenna I know would ever say that Jessica Ryan has four nipples. Not even in fun. WHO ARE YOU!

PAK: Calm down Laura! It's me, and you're right. That was her, Jessica. She thought it would be funny to mess with your head. No, you are right, she does not have four nipples. And, she's sorry.

Lady Knight: Wait a minute babe, you just said I was speaking to Jessica Ryan. NOT! Don't mess with me now. I love you kiddo, but that couldn't have been her.

Kate turned to look at Jessica, who was watching over her shoulder, while she spoke with Ted. They had been hashing out their plan for the shoot that night, and what to do about Deborah's absence. Jessica had an idea, but it involved Kate. She wasn't sure she wanted to endanger her that way, or whether Kate would want to do it anyway. She would talk to her, and then let Ted know when they got to the sight.

Jessica said goodbye, and then scooting her chair forward, put her long arms around Kate, and then reaching for the keyboard typed in something that she was sure would identify herself to Laura.

 

PAK: Laura, go to my fan club sight, and type in Jessica Ryan Knightly where the sign in box is. Then type ardneK for the password. You'll get to see the new screen capture's for the next three episodes. They haven't been released yet. Maybe then you'll believe it's really me.

Kate was impressed. She never would have thought that Jessica would give away such a major secret. Of course, Laura was the only one that Kate would trust with that kind of stuff, but Jessica wouldn't necessarily know that. Moments later Laura came back, totally flipping out.

 

Lady Knight: Holy cow girlfriend. You do have a warped sense of humor. Katie was right. Listen. Be nice to my friend, or I'll hunt you down myself. She needs someone like you in her life. And if my suspicions are correct, you need her too. Take care of her.

PAK: You bet Laura. I have every intention of taking the best possible care of her. No question about that at all. Talk to you later.

Kate sat quietly while her two friends, old and new signed off with each other. Part of her was scared. She couldn't help wonder what the future might hold for her, and she was deeply afraid of rejection. Even before the rape, she had that succession of one or two nighters, except for Gina.

Gina was a beautiful 35-ish studio ornament. Executive Secretary this week, bit actress the next. She never seemed to quite find her knitch in life. Kate met her at an AIDS auction, and fell instantly in like with her. Unfortunately she hadn't realized what a good actress Gina was. They started dating, going all kinds of places having a great time together. Whenever they had sex though, it was always at Kate's house. Gina also started to have mysterious gaps in time. She would cancel dates, or have to rush off somewhere. Kate began to wonder if she wasn't seeing someone else.

Two or three months after they began seeing each other, Gina invited Kate to her home. The two had been drinking, and Kate was pretty drunk. Gina began undressing her, and Kate went along. Suddenly she heard a noise from the corner of the room, and realized that they were not alone. Apparently Gina was married. She and her husband would use Gina as bait, and lure women home, and then try to get them to participate in sex with first the wife, and then both of them. On this particular occasion, there were others as well. Another couple was present and observing as though watching a play at the theater, or a movie.

Kate was so disgusted, and sickened, she gathered her things and fled. She never spoke to Gina again, and she never went back to any of the places she knew Gina would probably frequent. She stayed in bed for days, and was physically ill for a large part of the time she was down. Kate finally told Laura, and then Steven. They were the only ones to know what happened.

Kate thought about that time while she watched Jessica talking to Laura. The thoughts made her start to shake slightly, and she felt as though she might be ill. She quickly turned away, so that Jessica couldn't see the fear in her eyes. She had no way of knowing if Jessica could ever do anything like that to her, and she very seriously doubted it. Even Laura had already cast her vote of confidence. It just made Kate so scared to open herself up to anyone again. She alternately felt ugly, and unclean. Or just not deserving of anyone's care and love. This was not going to be easy.

Kate walked over to the window, and stared out for a moment. She had already allowed herself to let Jessica kiss her, and she had kissed her back. From that extent she knew she was still capable of feelings. Boy was she ever. But, trusting someone with her heart. There in lay the dilemma. She was scared. Really scared.

Kate shook herself from her dark thoughts, and decided not to decide. Concentrate on her job, and let time bring her what may. What was it that Laura was always saying? Oh yeah, go with the flow, and ride with the tide.

Jessica turned to Kate, and interrupted any further thought on the subject. "Okay, so what do I do to shut this thing off. We're done talking, I guess."

Kate walked back over, and reaching for the laptop, signed off the internet, and then shut the power off. Closing the computer, she unplugged it, and slipped it into it's case. As she crossed over to where her things were stowed, Jessica noticed the tenseness, and the pale color of Kate's skin.

"Are you alright? You don't look like you feel very well." Jessica asked concerned.

"Oh, I'm okay thanks. Just . . . I don't know, I guess someone just walked across my grave or something. I'll be fine. We should start getting together the things we want to take to the studio." Kate tried to shrug off her fears, and change the subject.

Jessica kind of felt that this had to do with her, but she wasn't sure what the problem was. She figured that if she kept her mouth shut, and tried to feel what Kate was feeling before she took advantage of her, then maybe things would be okay. The last thing she wanted to do was scare, or hurt Kate in any way. Jessica went over where Kate was sorting through her equipment bag, and stood quietly waiting until she was needed.

Kate babbled on about this weapon, and that weapon. She had decided that they definitely needed the flak jackets, and maybe a boot dagger for each of them. She also reluctantly included a small .38 caliber ladies pistol in a shoulder holster under her arm. She doubted she could use it, but if push came to shove, she didn't know what she might be capable of. She also pulled out her special keychain. It was a small bar of steel, that when used correctly, could severely disable an attacker.

Jessica continued to watch, used to going through weapons inventories, especially because of the show. She greatly admired the ease with which her friend, and employee rambled on, sorting through all of the instruments of death at her disposal. Jessica was quite familiar with most of the weapons. Both from her own past, from her current job, and from her own training. She was content to continue listening, when she remembered what she and Ted had talked about concerning Deborah's absence.

"Oh, I almost forgot. We have a small problem for the shoot tonight, and I was wondering if you might want to help out." Jessica tried not to sound pushy, but she was hoping Kate would take her offer.

"Anything you want. What's the problem?" Kate inquired, curious now.

"Well, with Deborah down, they have been having a hard time finding someone of the same size, and the same martial arts abilities to take her place. I was thinking that maybe you might be able to fill in. Most of the face is covered with prosthetics anyway, so it would be easy to slip you in. And the voice can be done after using Deborah for overdubbing. What do you think?" Jessica waited, mentally crossing her fingers.

Kate considered the offer. She had never had any aspirations of being an actress, but the idea wasn't totally distasteful to her. "Well, if it will help you guys out, then sure. Just don't expect great things from me, because I've never done anything like this before. Besides, it will allow me to be closer to you during the shoot. In case Gregory or any of his cronies try something. I just hope I don't mess things up for you is all."

Jessica smiled. "Don't worry. I'll help you through it. We'll be together for the entire shoot, so we should be okay. I appreciate you wanting to help us."

"Well hey, that's where I can most effectively do my job, so that's where I'll be." Kate tried desperately to convince herself.

Soon after settling the evening's plan, Kate set herself on the task of feeding the cats, and then getting them ready to spend the evening by themselves in the hotel room. She originally wanted to keep them locked away in the bathroom, but Jessica told her it wasn't necessary. That the staff would check on them, and if there were any problems, they would take care of them. Kate was quite frankly stunned that the hotel would let them keep the two animals in the room with them. She had assumed that they would be exiled to the kitty prison. But once again, Jessica came through. She refused to let them separate Kate from her pets. Jessica wasn't normally a demanding guest, but sometimes being a star came in handy.

Michael and Steven returned soon after. Michael assured both women that the car that was coming for them was a trusted friend of his. The man danced at one or two clubs in the area, and hung out with some of the same people that Michael did. He had been driving for various companies in Hollywood for quite a few years, and was well trained in terrorist aversion etc.

Michael took off to take care of some business he had, and left Steven to fend for himself for a while. Steven called Diane, and she hooked him up with a dinner party gig for the evening. He was to escort the wife of a studio owner to some charity benefit. He quickly said his goodbye to the women, so that he could have some time to get showered and dressed for the party. Diane arranged for a car to pick him up at around sevenish.

That left the two women. Kate stood at the window idly looking out. Clouds had started to come in, and they were expecting some rain. She was just thinking how appropriate it was for her mood, when she realized that she was blatantly ignoring Jessica's presence in the room.

Kate turned to address her, and was startled to see her with her head in her hands, a small trickle of tears slipping between her fingers. Kate quickly strode to her side, and crouching down in front of her, put her hands on Jessica's knees to steady herself.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" Kate didn't want to push her.

Jessica took Kate's hands, and stood helping her to her feet. "I feel like I am repeating myself, but I can't stand to think I have contributed to your unhappiness. Please, if you don't want to do this it's alright. Just don't stay because you think you have to. I'll understand."

Kate smiled a small half smile. "So, I'm that obvious am I? It's not because of you that I'm unhappy right now. And it has nothing to do with the job. I want this job. The more time I spend with you the more sure of that fact I become. It's just other stuff that's bothering me. After reading Laura's lecture to you about taking care of me, I dredged up some terrible things that have happened to me. Even before the rape. It has made it very hard to get close to anyone again. To feel loved or cared about. I don't want you to feel as though I am leading you on. I am just so scared. I want to be happy, and I want you to be happy as well, but it is so hard for me to let go. To drop my carefully cultivated shields."

Jessica smiled back, even through her tears. "Didn't I just tell you that about myself not too long ago? I have admittedly built what I have felt was an impenetrable fortress around myself. No feelings, no happiness, no love. My little personal kingdom runs on survival, and duty. It has nothing to do with something so soft as personal happiness. And yet. Suddenly there is a small chink in the castle wall, and I see a very scared, but somehow determined little entity trying to gain entrance. I quite frankly like that little ray of sunshine that's peeking in. There may be some dark clouds hovering over both of us, but I think it's something we can get past. Until then, just know that I will understand, if you feel the need to bolt. I couldn't, nor would I want, to make you think that you had to be a part of my life in any way."

Totally without thinking on both their parts, the two women embraced each other, in a close tight hug. Kate without much thought, rubbed Jessica's back to reassure her, that she was willing to work past their problems together. Jessica stroked Kate's hair, silently praying that nothing she might do would bring harm, or scare Kate out of her life.

They separated, when a knock sounded on the door. Jessica quickly stepped to the spy hole, and looked to make sure that it was Michael's friend, and not someone else. The driver held his ID up to the viewer, so that she could identify him. Satisfied that he was who he said he was, she opened the door. Kate grabbed the bag with the flak jackets in it, and then putting her winter coat on, dashed out the door, Jessica right behind her. They made sure that the door was locked tight behind them, and the alarm was set. The hotel management was very careful about having the codes changed each time a new person occupied the cottage.

The driver led them to the car, and after putting their things in the trunk, they took off for the set. The driver was very friendly, but also very alert to their surroundings. He took a round about way to the factory. Jessica had prearranged to have the costume and makeup people waiting for them on site.

When they arrived, they could see her limousine parked in the distance, away from the actual area. The studio had obviously spared no expense in the need to protect their star. At 10 foot intervals surrounding the entire grounds they had stationed a National Guard officer. The studio had pulled some strings, and convinced the Guard, that there had been some kind of terrorist death threats made against Ms. Ryan. Since most of them were fans of the show, they gladly volunteered their time, and equipment to insure her safety. Most of them didn't believe there really was a threat, but it was good training for them should there be a terrorist assault on the country.

Inside the grounds, the studio had hired security guards, carefully placed in discreet locations throughout the entire facility. Not a single unauthorized person, was going to gain access to the grounds if anyone could help it. The expense was small considering what they would lose should their star be killed or injured.

Kate and Jessica were equally amazed at how extensive the coverage was. Jessica was still concerned about Gregory being so close. She almost suspected that he would go so far as to launch a bomb over the fence, but realized how silly that notion was. Still and all, she was glad that the protection was there even though she knew it couldn't last.

Jessica led Kate over to the costume and makeup tent, and after explaining to the staff that she would be standing in for Deborah, she headed out to find Ted the director. He was busy with the camera crew setting up for the first shots. One of his assistants saw her approaching, and gave him the heads up. He turned and was visibly relieved to see her.

"Oh man, I am so glad to see you. So, what do you think about our security tonight? Pretty slick huh? I guess Justin was not too happy about Gregory threatening you. He's launched a full scale investigation on his activities. It seems . . ." He stood close, and whispered conspiratorially. "well, supposedly he's been embezzling from the studio, and if I were you, I would call an accountant, and a lawyer, and have your own books checked out. By what I've heard, they are going to put him away for a long, long time."

Jessica regarded him thoughtfully. "Hmm, Justin huh? I think this the first time I could ever recall him getting directly involved in a situation like this. Most of the time he is content to be the studio owner, and let the peons drive the boat. Very interesting. I can only hope that somehow, someone will nail Gregory. Did you know he's parked outside?"

Ted jumped, and looked behind him like Gregory was standing right there. "Shit, why didn't you say something. I'll have one of the girls get in touch with the head of the security team. I don't want him anywhere near here. What if he launches a bomb over the fence or something."

Jessica realized after he said it, how truly lame it sounded. She patted him on the shoulder, and was going to ask more questions, when a runner came and told her that they needed her in wardrobe. She politely excused herself, and headed back to the tent where she had left Kate. Judging by the noise emanating from behind the canvas, it was probably a good thing she did. She strode through the tent flaps, and stopped short at the spectacle in front of her.

Kate was on the floor, sitting on one of the male costumers, and holding his hands behind his back. She had leaned down close to his ear, and was whispering something to him. Jessica was sure it wasn't "sweet nothings".

"What ya doing there, red?" Jessica called good naturedly to her obviously unhappy friend.

Kate finished what she was saying to the costumer, and then turning scowled darkly at Jessica. "I am teaching this man some manners. No one, and I mean no one grabs me where he did, without an invitation. He has no idea how close he came to losing his arm."

Jessica walked over, and putting her hands gently on Kate's shoulders, persuaded her to let the poor guy go. "Hey slugger, it's okay. He was only doing his job. Come on now, let him go. I'll help you myself. Will that make you feel better?"

Kate reluctantly turned her captive loose, and then standing up, she brushed off her clothes, and then backed toward Jessica. Jessica encircled her from behind with her arm, and gently put her chin on the top of Kate's head. Addressing the costumer, she smiled gently, and then tilting her head slightly put him to the test. "Tell me Jerry, were you trying to cop an uninvited feel, or were you actually helping her with her costume?"

Jerry, the costumer, blushed deeply effectively giving away his intentions. Jessica called the supervisor over, and asked her if for the time being she wouldn't mind only having women as dressers for Kate. The staff had been together for so long, that if Jerry had tried to pull something like that on Jessica, or even Deborah, he probably would have gotten slapped, but with no harm done. Kate however was a different situation, and Jessica would not allow that kind of treatment where she was concerned.

After the staff had returned to their jobs, and the men had all exited to other parts of the set, Kate finally calmed down, and allowed Jessica to let go of her. "I'm sorry I reacted so harshly, but I wasn't ready for that. I could have hurt him pretty badly. He just grabbed me, well . . . .in a not so nice manner, and then expected me to laugh at him. I suppose it was harmless, it just caught me by surprise."

Jessica hugged her one more time, and then placing her hand lightly alongside Kate's cheek, bent down slightly to look her directly in the eyes. "Don't ever be concerned where your personal integrity is concerned. That guy has managed to grab just about every woman, and half the men on the staff. He thinks he's really clever, but most of us can't stand him. The last time he grabbed one of the guys, he received a black eye in exchange."

Kate smiled, a little relieved that Jessica wasn't mad at her. While she mulled over her reaction, Jessica had the supervisor bring over Kate's gear. She insisted that they slip the flak jacket on first, and then fit the rest of the pieces over it. Kate was slightly smaller in size than Deborah, so the addition of the vest actually helped with the fit. After they fit the chest pieces, Jessic had to step over, and get into her own jumpsuit. The flak jacket didn't fit as well, but she convinced them it was necessary. One of the women took the vest, and then after a few stitches brought it back in a more form fitting design.

After more than 30 minutes of struggling with all of the straps and catches, they finally had Kate encased in her plastic prison. The makeup person added the necessary color, and shading to the parts of her face that were showing. Not too much later, Jessica returned to see how she was doing. With the exception of the grimace on her face, she looked great. At least in the entire staff's opinion. Jessica thought she looked cute, but she refrained from saying so.

Soon, the director's assistant came and summoned them both to the set. The weapons master brought Jessica's laser rifle, pistols, and other assorted hardware. Kate's costume had been outfitted with all kinds of trick items, but most of them had been temporarily disabled, since there hadn't been a lot of time to train her how to use them. She was only mildly disappointed, but determined to learn more, if they decided they needed her again after tonight.

Jessica led her to their first mark for the night. Jessica was to stand just short of a large pillar, while Kate approached her from behind. Just as Kate reached her next mark, and large valve was supposed to release steam directly behind her, just missing her. Her part was to bend forward, thereby allowing the steam to pass harmlessly above her. It had already been established, that steam or water played havoc with her characters programming. There wouldn't actually be any steam, as that would be added later via some pretty sophisticated computer graphics.

The director called action, and Jessica stood in her spot looking as though she were scouting their next step. Kate counted the correct number of steps, and then as required bent forward at the right time. Unfortunately, she leaned too far forward, and miscalculating the weight of the suit, fell forward, and landed face down on the cement floor. Rather than call cut, the director went ahead and filmed Jessica trying desperately to help her back to her feet. Even though it was spontaneous, it made a great piece of film.

Kate was devasted. She was sure the entire cast was laughing hysterically at her. Jessica whispered encouragement to her, and told her not to worry about it. When the director finally called cut, Jessica had managed to get her upright again, and then the two had continued the progression into the next shot. Much to Kate's surprise, the entire group applauded her most heartily for her efforts.

She smiled broadly, and then blushed with all of the attention. Jessica took her hand, and gave it a swift squeeze. She remembered how hard it was when she walked onto a set for the first time. People could be merciless. Fortunately she knew that this group was a pretty fair, and close bunch of folks.

The next shot was to take place on a cat walk high above the factory floor. A particularly nasty cyber terrorist, built from extremely sophisticated mechanics was going to be climbing the scaffolding leg that supported the catwalk. The mech unit was actually designed and built for exactly this purpose. It had been equipped with a set of extremely complicated claws, that through some incredible software, and a dedicated group of cyber nerds, allowed it to really climb. It had been decided that using a computer generated graphic enemy for this shoot, would just not be the same as using a real one.

The tech crew mounted the mech unit onto the scaffold. The two women were being escorted to the top of the catwalk via a back stairway, in the company of the head of the stunt team. They were only going to be walking across the decking, and then the stunt team would replace them for the actual shot. No one wanted to take a chance with endangering the two women. A misstep, and both could fall to their deaths. Even though they had been tethered to the beams above the catwalk, they didn't want to take the risk.

This time, Kate took the lead, she took a few tentative steps, then for some reason Jessica couldn't identify, she stopped. As quickly as the suit would allow her, she turned and trying to run back towards Jessica, she almost got entangled in the safety lines that were protecting her from falling. Jessica became aware of her approach just as Kate managed to launch herself at her companion. Kate landed flat against Jessica effectively knocking her to the deck.

After Jessica recovered from having the wind knocked out of her, she noticed that Kate was struggling to breath. Carefully sliding out from under her, she checked the suit and noticed a hole about the size of a dime in the back of the suit. There was a small amount of smoke lazily drifting from the opening. It only took a second to realize that Kate had been shot.

Praying to every God she could think of, Jessica tried frantically to disentangle the two of them from their safety lines, and then release the back catches to the suit. She was in the process of releasing the stubborn latch pieces, when the first of the stunt crew reached them. Fearing a repeat of the previous night, they quickly removed the plate, and checked Kate over for injury. Much to everyone's relief, the flak jacket effectively protected her from any grave injury.

Jessica took personal responsibility for lifting Kate's shirt to examine her for any hidden damage. There was definitely going to be some bruising, but no skin was broken. After checking her back, Jessica carefully removed her helmet. She checked the stitches from her previous injury, and then made sure that no other shots might have injured her. A few moments more, and then Kate finally began to breath a little easier. She motioned for them to help her sit up on her behind, so she could get more air into her lungs.

"I'm okay, don't worry. I just had the wind knocked out of me. That son of a bitch. Now he's really made me mad. If I catch him, it will surely be a sorry day in his life." Kate was absolutely furious.

Jessica was visibly relieved. "Come on, let’s get you down from here. I want to make sure that you really are okay."

The crew cleared the rest of the cables, and then helped the women back down the stairways. Jessica stayed right with Kate, not letting her out of her sight. The security teams were busy tracking the sniper. Gregory hadn’t moved an inch. He was surprisingly unarmed, and refused any knowledge of the sniper, or the incident. They brought him to the main guard base, along with his buddy Jerald, and the limo driver.

Gregory protested loudly. "You are violating my personal rights. What gives you the right to restrain me. I’ve done nothing wrong. I want to see my wife. Someone give me my phone, I’m going to call my lawyer." He reached for a passing soldier. "You boy, go in there and have someone find my wife and bring her back here. I need to talk to her, it’s very important."

The soldier looked to his superior officer for confirmation. Getting an affirmative nod, he dashed through the gates, and set about the task of locating Jessica. He wandered around a bit, and then noticed a group gathering near the scaffold where the most recent filming took place. He knew instantly who Jessica was. Being a fan, he couldn’t miss the tall dark haired woman in the black jumpsuit. She was carefully removing the rest of the torso pieces on her sidekick’s costume.

"Umm, excuse me ma’am?" He stumbled on his words.

Jessica turned when he approached her. "What’s up there? Can I help you."

Immediately several internal security people closed in on the group, not willing to let anyone else endanger their star. One rather large individual stood directly behind the smaller soldier. If Jessica gave the sign, they would restrain him. Jessica made eye contact with the security officer, and slightly shook her head. She didn’t want these guys going crazy, and hurting anyone.

Jessica smiled again at the soldier to encourage him to deliver his message. He cleared his throat again, and finally was able to speak. "Umm, uh, well ma’am, it seems that we have your husband restrained outside the gates, and he is demanding to speak to you. He’s pretty insistent if you know what I mean? Threatening lawyers and all. They can’t get him to be quiet." The kid was blushing by now.

Jessica looked at Kate for support. Kate shrugged her shoulders. "Let’s go. I’d love to get a piece of him right now. Let’s take a few of these rather large, armed men with us just in case. If he’s as psychotic as we think he is, he might try something stupid. But yeah, I’m ready."

Jessica grinned broadly at her smaller friend’s spunk. She started to believe that if Gregory were a 12 foot tall bear, Kate would still probably stand up to him. She placed her hands on Kate’s shoulders. "You be careful. You’ve had enough injuries to last a while. I don’t want you to get into a fistfight with Gregory, or Jerald. Those boys are pretty nasty."

Kate snorted. Patting Jessica’s hands, she smiled a winning smile, and then assured her she wouldn’t do anything stupid. She managed to stand up on her own, even with the bottom half of the costume in place. One of the crew members had brought her winter coat over, and Jessica helped her put it on. The two women, with an entourage of six security guards worked their way towards the gate.

They could hear the sounds of the continued filming going on behind them. A special helicopter had been brought in as well. It was supposed to drop a line, and rescue the two heroines from the approaching Mech Warrior. Of course the stunt people were in place instead of Jessica and Kate. Too much risk, and the insurance companies these days wouldn’t allow it.

As they approached the gate, the gathering crowd of soldiers parted, and Jessica could see Gregory sitting on a crate, Jerald not too far behind him. He looked up just in time to make eye contact with her. Before anyone could react, he was off his seat and charging her, intent on doing her harm. Apparently his level of sanity was rapidly slipping away.

Gregory managed to get within about four feet of Jessica, when Kate stepped out from behind her, and round housed him with a right to the jaw. She followed with a swift sweep of her left leg, and effectively grounded him. Landing square in the middle of his chest, she drew back and prepared to slam his nose into his head, when Jessica caught her from behind.

"Whoa there! I don’t want to have to bail you out of jail tonight. Calm down, calm down. Don’t waste your energy on that pig. Come on over here, and we’ll let the guards pick him up." Jessica took Kate by the arm, and dragged her over to the side. Kate struggled a little with her anger, and then she subsided.

Gregory was being helped off the ground by his buddy Jerald. None of the other’s present wanted to have anything to do with him. He was obviously nuts, and the sooner someone locked him up, the better. One of the soldiers handed him a dirty rag to wipe the blood off his face. It was highly possible he had a broken nose.

"JESSICA, you get that little dyke bitch of yours under control. I’ll sue you and her. No court in the land would stand against me when they find out that you’re a dyke. You are supposed to be my wife, not some whoring slut who goes around sleeping with women. No one does that to me, and gets away with it. I’ll ruin you, YOU JUST WAIT!" Gregory was positively foaming at the mouth.

Behind him, Jessica could see a sleek charcoal gray limousine pulling onto the property. That could only mean one thing. Justin Graves, the owner of the studio had decided to pay a visit to the site. His timing couldn’t be better as far as she was concerned. She smiled inwardly, while maintaining her outward mask of non-involvement.

Kate on the other hand was furious. She wanted to make him pay. How dare he talk to Jessica like that? Ha! What marriage? That pig wouldn’t know how to find his way through a relationship if it had a map. Grrr, I hate him! She started to step forward again, hands curled into fists, when Jessica caught her arm and pulled her back. Shaking her head, she pleaded with her eyes to have Kate wait a minute. Something big was about to take place, and she wanted to see what was coming.

Justin Graves stepped from his car. Jessica was only mildly surprised to see that he was not alone. Riding with him were two of the companies seven lawyers, and Jessica’s personal lawyer, Meg Hopewell. The last passenger to emerge from the interior of the car was the studio accountant. Jessica used the same firm, and was relieved that she wouldn’t have to call them herself.

Justin strode purposely towards the group. He was a formidable man, but Jessica had learned over the last couple of years, that he could be quite the teddy bear once you got to know him. He pulled her into a strong hug, and then holding her at arms length, smiled, and then chucked her under the chin.

"How’s my favorite little girl? Doing okay, now that big daddy is here?" Gregory interrupted him.

"Justin, I am so glad to see you. Justin I want you to fire all of these people. Just look at what they’ve done to me. This isn’t right! She’s my wife, and she’s allowing them to treat me this way. You need to stop her." He continued to whine, over and over about the injustice of it all.

Justin turned his gaze in Gregory’s direction. "Gregory, if I were you, I would make my best effort to keep my mouth shut right about now. You don’t think I brought all of these folks out here for a picnic now do you? I am just waiting a few more minutes for my extra special guest to arrive, and then we can begin. Now, sit down and shut up, or I’ll have someone shut you up." Justin turned back to the group, and offered them a grin the Cheshire Cat would be proud of.

"So, Jessie my sweet. Introduce me to your friend here. She comes highly recommended by several of my associates, including that Diane from the agency. She plays tennis with my wife every so often, and Carol swears by her word." Justin extended his hand to Kate. He was surprised at how strong her grip was for such a small thing.

"I’m uh, pleased to meet you sir. I’m sorry that I hit him, but I couldn’t help myself. He could have killed both of us." Kate was clearly embarrassed.

"Oh no need to feel bad little lady. I’m just sorry I missed it. Seems to me that our Jessie here made a good choice when she picked you to be her PA. I would have been seriously pissed off, if Gregory’s goons had managed to kill her. By the way, I hear you took one in the back, how are you feeling?" Justin was genuinely concerned.

Kate was thoroughly charmed. "Oh, I’m okay. A little bruised, but I’ll live. So, if you don’t mind my asking? What brought all of you out here?"

Jessica turned and looked at her as if she had just swallowed nails, and Justin burst out laughing. "Straight forward. I like that in a woman. Well, our Jessie here was a guest of another friend of mine. That would be Deborah’s momma. We just saw Deborah not but a few hours ago. She’ doing right fine by the way. Anyway, Momma started us on our way here, and then we stopped to pick up Meg here on the way. It seems she got a mysterious E-mail from a person who goes by the moniker of Lady Knight. Is that someone you all might know?"

Kate covered her mouth with her hand. She shot a glance at Jessica, and the two almost burst into giggles. "Um, yes sir, she’s a friend of mine in Northern California. I asked her earlier today if she wouldn’t mind doing some digging for me. I didn’t realize that she would bypass me, and go straight to the top. She must have uncovered something important."

Justin smiled broadly again, and pulled a large cigar out of his coat pocket. "You can bet on that there honey. She downloaded a whole chamber pot full of information on this sewer rat. Meg started the wheel’s turning, and the information that came back so far was enough to get me to come on out and see you gals."

Justin was extremely proud of himself for being up on all the latest terminology. He beamed at the assembled group, before he tipped his hand. His missing guests arrived as he was about to tell what they found. The new arrivals stood back several feet, and politely waited until they were summoned.

"It seems that Gregory here, has been scammin’ just about everyone in this entire company. Not to mention several people outside the company as well. Where he failed, was being too greedy. He’s managed to embezzle upwards of almost $100 million from various entities including, me personally, the studio, and of course his lovely wife. Somehow he managed to completely drain her entire bank accounts, and was in the process of attempting to dissolve several of her investments as well. We gathered, and were not too far off, that he was planning to dump the whole thing, or at least a large percentage of it into some sort of offshore investment deal. The problem for him would have been that the investment deal was being run by a combination of US Marshalls, and the Inspector here." He gestured to the men standing behind him. Kate recognized the police captain she had spoken to earlier that morning.

Gregory tried to make himself smaller, and slowly back away from the group. The careful placement of a semi-automatic rifle behind his ear, stopped his progress.

"Anyway, in the next day or two, your funds should be returned to you in their entirety. Meg here assures me that your investments will be reevaluated, and reinstated as well. Now, how about you two lovely ladies show me around this here lovely shoot site, while these boys do the job that our taxes pay them so well for." Justin took an arm offered by each of the women, and the three wandered away. Meg and the lawyers headed off to find coffee. They knew it would be a long night ahead of them.

 

Continued..Chapters 8 - 9

 


Return to The Bard's Corner