The Long Road From China

Part 4 (Conclusion)

 

By Gershwhen
gershwhen@aol.com

 

Author’s Note – Sorry for the delay in posting .Sometimes real life can be a REAL pain! Anyway, if you’re still reading thanks for tuning in the conclusion of the story and thank you for your patience.

Summary - Picks up directly from the end of "The Debt" (I-II) and follows Xena and Gabrielle as they deal with the after-effects of the adventure and prepare for an unusual journey home.

The standard disclaimer: The characters of Xena and Gabrielle belong in their entirety to Universal and Renaissance, and to their writers and whoever else owns the property. No copyright infringement is intended, and this is all in fun and/or angst. The other characters in the story originated from my somewhat bored and workweek fried brain, and are not taken from any literary source or any other source whatsoever.

Violence Warning: This is Xena so there will be violence. She is, after all, not Marge Simpson, but she's not Atilla the Hun either (at least not any more). I'd give to a PG.

Spoilers: Makes direct reference to this season's The Debt (Parts I - II). Proceed at your own risk… heh, heh, heh…

Subtext: Its there, you don't have to look for it, you'll find it anyway. If you can't deal with it, mouse clicks back are cheap and I'll give you your first four for free.

This is my first try at this stuff...feel free to let me know if you liked it or disliked it...mail back at:

gershwhen@aol.com


Sea spray and waves continued to crash round Xena as she watched Talus and Gabrielle on the lower deck. As the bard jumped in to the cook’s rescue, Xena leaned forward.

Xena’s words were pulled away by the strong winds "No, Gabrielle, don’t try that swing, the deck isn’t wide enough ..."

Xena felt, rather than heard, her companion’s head connect with the ship’s rail. A sickening force stabbed through her insides as she began to run toward the lower deck. A roar of fear for Gabrielle’s safety rumbled in her ears as she had flashes of their conversations over the past several days.

"It can’t end like this," Xena thought, as her eyes quickly began to scan the choppy seas in hopes of seeing the bard floating on the waves.

Xena slowed her run and squatted to begin a dive into the sea when darkness overcame her. Her entire body was engulfed in a heavy, wet cocoon. Pulling her sword out in one move and then slicing down in front of her body, Xena cut through the sail that had been toppled over her. Stepping into freedom, she twisted the sword out to the side and sliced at a raider standing at her side.

Anger at the man threatened to overtake her as she realized any delay could be deadly to an injured Gabrielle. The raider raised a knife and lashed out at the Warrior Princess. As he brought his arm down, he found it meeting the slick, blood-oiled side of Xena’s sword blade. Xena, ignoring the fountain of blood from the raiders shoulder, sliced again to assure he would not impede her rescue efforts further. Xena kicked the bloody body out of her way as she moved back to the railing.

Looking down into the waves, Xena was shocked to see the bobbing head of Talus in the water. The young cook was screaming something indiscernible and diving under the whitecaps. Diving quickly off the ship’s deck, Xena joined the cook in the sea.

Cutting through the waves, Xena began to swim under the surface in search of Gabrielle. Surfacing for air after several moments, Xena heard a faint voice screaming.

"My Queen, please hold on. My Queen, I know I was dishonest with you, but please don’t give up now. My Queen…."

Xena searched the waters and found Talus yelling and bobbing up and down in the water. The weight of something was pulling the young cook down. Xena shot through the water with clean, quick strokes. Reaching the terrified young cook, Xena grabbed under the water. Xena pulled at the burden locked into Talus’ hands. The cooks’ arms were locked around Gabrielle’s waist and the bard’s head was hanging into the water.

"Let go, Talus. I’ve got her." Xena struggled to make her voice heard above the waves and the cook’s own terrified cries.

Talus made no move to let go. Xena eased Gabrielle’s bleeding head out of the water and then once again tried to liberate the bard’s body from the cook. Realizing the youngster was too far into shock from the cold and the water - Xena applied pressure to both of the cook’s shoulders. Gabrielle slid easily from the cook’s now numb arms and into Xena’s own strong embrace. Shifting Gabrielle to her left arm, Xena quickly release the pressure points. A shock of recognition hit Talus as feeling rushed back into numb limbs.

"You’re going to have to swim with me, Talus. I can’t pull both of you along in this current," Xena shouted.

Talus looked at Gabrielle for a moment, "How did we get in the sea ? Is she…?"

Fire flashed from Xena’s eyes at the second question. "Gabrielle will be fine. But we need to get her back to the ship. You’ve got to swim with me now."

The strength of Xena’s reply allowed no argument from the now severely shivering cook. Xena turned back toward the waiting ship and began to pull Gabrielle with her.

Up on deck, the remaining raiders had quickly been overpowered. Captain Ididarus and Tiberius were standing at the side railing waiting to offer assistance in the rescue. Tiberius quickly lowered himself down a rope and hung swaying over the water as the warrior approached pulling the unconscious bard with her.

Tiberius reached for Gabrielle and Xena shook her head. "No, I’ve got her. You help Talus." The navigator started to protest and then realized the futility by the hard look in Xena’s eyes. Seeing that nothing was going to separate the bard from the Warrior’s arms, Tiberious looped his leg in the rope and swung an arm down to assist Talus.

Xena began a one handed assault up the rope. Holding Gabrielle firmly in her left arm, the warrior used her right arm and legs to pull herself up the length of hemp. The speed of the climb was assisted as crewmen began to reel the rope onto the deck. Xena reached for the railing just as she realized the crewmen had overestimated the power for the final tug. Quickly turning her body, she shielded Gabrielle as they were both pulled roughly over the railing and somersaulted onto the deck. Taking most of the momentum with her right shoulder and back, Xena still heard a small whimper of pain from the woman cradled against her body.

Xena knelt and placed Gabrielle gently on the deck. Gabrielle was breathing, but very shallowly. Xena shifted Gabrielle’s head to the side and the bard choked up more sea water. A small moan escaped the bard’s mouth as a violent shiver racked her body.

Xena put a calming hand on her friend’s should and began to murmur reassurances to the girl. Xena used her free hand to start an evaluation of her best friend’s condition. The bard’s hair was matted down with sea water and blood against her cheek. Lightly brushing the hair from Gabrielle’s face, Xena examined a now large and darkening bruise. Moving her fingers over the area, Xena probed to determine the extent of the wound. She grimaced as she felt the knot that was forming on the bard’s skull and looked at the length of the cut.

Xena knew she needed to move Gabrielle inside and get her warm and dry. Before she would move the woman again, she needed to know the extent of Gabrielle’s other injuries.

Running her hand’s down the bard’s body, Xena looked for broken bones or other signs of injury. Assuring herself that the head wound was the most severe of the bard’s problems, Xena stood and then gently pick up her younger traveling companion. She was mildly surprised at the lightness of the girl. Xena had recently noted that the bard had lost some of her notorious appetite, but the extent of the weight loss was reinforced as she began to move toward their place in the ship’s hold.

Xena’s strides were impeded by Talus as the young cook moved to intercept her.

"You’ll be needin’ hot water and towels and blankets to take care of her, I’ll bring them right in."

The Captain stepped over and gently tugged at the young sailor. "You’ll need some looking after yourself, before you worry about anybody else. I’ll have someone else send in whatever Xena needs." The last part of the comment was aimed at the warrior’s back as she resumed her quick walk toward the hold.

Entering their quarters, Xena placed Gabrielle on a pallet. Wiping the wet hair from her own eyes, Xena moved to light the lamp that hung swaying over the bunk. Xena grabbed the blanket from her own pallet and began to undress Gabrielle. Pulling off her cropped top, Xena quickly rubbed the blanket up and down Gabrielle’s arms to restore warmth and circulation to them. She tucked the blanket around the bard’s shoulders and then moved to the wash basin.

A quick knock at the door drew her attention as Tiberius entered with a steaming kettle of water. Fresh linens were looped over his free arm.

"We’ve put a big pot onto boil, but I thought you could get started with this." He said as his gaze wandered over to Gabrielle in concern.

"How is she ?"

Not offering an answer, Xena took the kettle, linens and basin and moved back over to the pallet. She brushed the hair off of Gabrielle’s head and began to clean the wound with the water. Pushing the bard’s bangs back, she reviewed the cut and moved to grab her healing kit.

Digging into her satchel, Xena’s hand rubbed against a strange pouch. Pulling it out, she recognized the silk bag as the one the old man had given her when she and Gabrielle returned to collect the bard’s belongings from the castle in Chin. She set it aside, idly acknowledging that she had never bothered to look at the contents and then continued to dig in the satchel for her healer’s kit. Pulling what she wanted out, Xena returned to Gabrielle’s side.

Quickly threading a needle, Xena began to make small even stitches along the bard’s hairline. The bleeding began to diminish as the wound was closed. Tying off the silk, Xena brushed on a herbal powder mixture and began to bandage the bard’s head.

Tiberius stood off to the side and waited to offer any assistance that was needed. He noticed that Gabrielle did not move or make a sound during any of Xena’s ministrations. Hoping Gabrielle was sleeping, Tiberius waited for the warrior to finish with her work.

Xena, on the other hand, was becoming more and more worried. The lack of sound and movement from Gabrielle indicated that her wound was very severe. It would be much better for the bard to be alert and complaining of pain than oblivious to everything in this current state.

Taking more of the boiling water, Xena mixed several herbs in a cup and returned to the pallet.

"Gabrielle, you have got to hear me. I know you can. I’m going to give you some medicine to drink and I want you to swallow it. Please you must try."

Xena raised the bard’s head slightly and then tried to pour some of the tea into her mouth. A small portion seemed to go down and then Gabrielle began to cough.

"Tiberius, come here." Xena ordered.

The navigator approached.

"We’ve got to get this tea in her. I’m going to hold her up. I want you to very slowly pour this in her mouth and I’m going to rub her throat. It should make her swallowing reflex kick in."

Doing as he was bid, Tiberius took the mug from Xena’s hand. It was slow going and Gabrielle still offered some resistance to the cup, but they were finally able to get the majority of the healing liquid into the bard.

Xena gently laid Gabrielle back down on the pallet and wiped the tea stains from the girl’s mouth. The warrior brushed her hand along the bard’s cheek and felt the heat of a fever. Tiberius opened his mouth to speak and was cut off with the strange look in Xena’s eyes.

"Look, I need to get her dry," Xena began.

"I need to get her warmer and I need to clean the rest of the salt and blood from her body. I can’t do that with you standing here. Thanks for the help, I’ll call if I need anything else." She dismissively turned her back on the navigator and returned to digging in the pack.

Tiberius didn’t miss the concern and tears in her eyes as she turned away. Deciding that bringing up her feelings would only make the warrior more uncomfortable, Tiberius turned toward the doorway.

"Xena, I’ll leave you to care for Gabrielle. But know this. You are not the only friend that she has on board and you’re not the only one who is concerned for her. I’ll be back to check on you both later." Expecting no reply, Tiberius pulled the door shut behind him with his last word.

Xena continued to stand in front of her satchel and struggled to rein her emotions into control. Fear would do neither of them any good right now and she knew that Gabrielle would need much attention in the next several hours. Trying to calm her shaking hands, she took a deep breath and squared her shoulders.

Xena pulled her extra leathers from the traveling bag and quickly traded wet clothing for dry. She laid out the soaked garments on a series of casks in the hold and hoped the warmth of the room would assist them to dry. Taking more linens from the pile that Tiberius had brought, she returned to Gabrielle’s side.

Xena pulled back the blankets and finished stripping the wet clothing from her friend. She dried Gabrielle’s limbs and slipped fresh garments onto the bard. Concerned that she keep Gabrielle warm and minimize the fever, Xena laid several blankets over the now dry girl.

Xena then sat on the side of Gabrielle’s pallet and lifted her hand. Grasping it firmly, but gently, Xena sighed and began to talk.

"You know I’m not a person of great words Gabrielle, and if this is how you plan to get me to talk to you, I’m not happy with your attempt." She paused.

"None of this is coming out right. You’re the storyteller, the one who’s good with words, not me. But Gabrielle, I know you’re still in there. And I know some part of you must be able to hear me. I need to you wake up. I need you to come back." Xena’s voice caught on the last word.

Almost in a whisper she leaned over to the bard, "I just plain need you. Please ?"

There was no response. Xena closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Okay, Gabrielle. Look I’m going to keep talking and eventually you’re going to have to answer me. I didn’t tell you all about the old man in the castle in Chin did I ?"

Leaning over, Xena grabbed the silk pouch and shook it next to the bard’s ear.

"He gave us a gift in thanks for fighting the Green Dragon. And it is for both of us Gabrielle, you helped save those people in the throne room when I started to attack. You got them to safety and you should share in this reward. But I won’t tell you what it is until you open your eyes. You should get to see this Gabrielle. You need to know that you were of help there."

Fingering the bag open with her hand, Xena peered into its depths. At first she thought it was empty. The bag was completely dark and yet she could feel the weight of something in it. She shifted the small opening toward the light and saw something reflect the light back at her. Still, there was no discernible outline to any item. Setting the package on the pallet, she reached in. Xena’s hand felt the cool, smooth surface of stones. Or something round that felt like stone. Withdrawing her hand, Xena raised an eyebrow at the contents of the little parcel. She looked at the long strand of black beads that were woven onto a length of silk. Each of the beads was tied off so that if the silk broke, the full set would not be lost. The care that was given to stringing these told her they were of great value to someone.

She examined the beads more carefully in the lamp light. Each was very smooth and very round. The were all exactly the same size. As she stared at the iridescent black coloring of them, her mind drifted back to the old man and what he had said.

"As Lao said, even in the dark, there can be beauty. You need to see the dark to understand and reflect the light." His words echoed in her mind.

She had dismissed them at the time, but now she wondered. "Could there every be beauty to come from darkness ?" She turned the beads over in her fingers and studied them. A shocked wave crashed through her as she realized that these were not beads…they were pearls. Black pearls. Xena sat stunned and staring at the necklace. During her time in the east, she had seen several of the mysterious black pearls. She had had one or two as reward for some particularly nasty deed. But she had never seen a matched set. Black pearls were said to hold blessings from the gods and were quite rare. To obtain so many, and to have them so well matched, it was hard to grasp.

"Gabrielle, you should see this. It really is quite amazing. If you’d just open your eyes…"

Xena’s words were cut off as the bard twitched under her hand. Gabrielle started to move and a low moan escaped from her lips.

Xena dropped the necklace back into the bag and quickly pushed it aside. Brushing her hand over the bard’s brow, she murmured words of encouragement to get the bard to open her eyes. The heat from Gabrielle’s fever gave Xena concern, but she pushed it aside as she tried to bring the bard back to consciousness.

Struggling, Gabrielle forced her eyes open. Images flashed through her mind. Brief glimpses of a battle, lots of blood and terrible pain. She remembered seeing a woman with a sword standing over her. As Gabrielle’s eyes began to focus, she shrank back in fear.

She looked at Xena in confusion and then pulled her hand out of the warrior’s grasp.

"Let go of me - you stabbed me with your sword." The bard tried to move back in the bed and the room swam before her eyes.

Concern settled on Xena’s face as she tried to recapture Gabrielle’s hand.

"Gabrielle, you’ve been injured, you’re confused. Just lie back and try to calm down."

Gabrielle backed up in the bed further and trying to control the pain that seared her head, eyed Xena warily.

" You stabbed me, I remember what happened in the battle. Why are you trying to save me now ?"

Xena took a deep breath and pulled back from the frightened bard. "I’m not sure what she’s remembering, " Xena thought. "Until I can place it, its best not to scare her."

Speaking slowly and very calmly, Xena raised her eyes to Gabrielle’s.

"You were injured trying to save this ship from sea raiders. You fell and hit your head. You weren’t stabbed by me or anyone else. Where is the pain Gabrielle ? Is it in your head or in your stomach ?"

The bard looked at the warrior in confusion. She moved her hand to rub her midsection and realized that there was no pain there. Conflicting emotions were running through her heart and mind. She felt as if she should trust the woman who was sitting before her. And yet, she remembered this woman stabbing her with a sword ! It was all so confusing. Raising a hand to rub her temple, the bard leaned back on the pallet.

"I don’t…I can’t remember any sea raiders. I just remember the you and your sword… but I also thought that I died." She broke off and grimaced.

Xena couldn’t tell if the girl’s pain was from the confusion in her memory or the actual head wound. Deciding peace and rest was what Gabrielle needed most, Xena smiled gently her.

"I’ll have someone else come and sit with you for a while. You’ll feel safer and maybe when you get some rest, your head will clear. It isn’t a good idea to let you sleep for too long at a time - you may not be able to wake up again. We’ll have to keep an eye on you for a time, but try to get some rest now."

Gabrielle could see pain clearly written in the warrior’s eyes. She felt a pang of guilt at realizing her fear of this woman was what put it there. A natural reaction to try and comfort this dark warrior came unbidden to her mind. But she also couldn’t get the image of the sword and pain to disappear. She needed time to think and to sort this out. Maybe a short rest would help. At least maybe the pounding behind her eyes would slow.

Gabrielle nodded and then asked, "Who will you get to sit with me ?"

Xena quirked an brow down at her and cryptically stated, "One of your very loyal subjects."

Gabrielle looked at her in confusion and then waited for more information. But the warrior simply stood and walked over to the door.

"I’ll be up on deck, if you need anything at all have…Talus come and get me." With that she was gone.

Gabrielle wondered at the pause in the warrior’s voice and who this Talus was.

She didn’t have to wait long.

A slight boy entered the room and made a short nod of curled locks. "Xena asked me to come and sit with you for a while. I’ve got some clean linens for your head and some cool water for the fever."

Gabrielle looked at the boy and tried to make eye contact. The child perched on the pallet across from her and kept his eyes to the floor.

"Hello, what was your name again?"

When the boy didn’t answer, Gabrielle pressed. "Did we not get along? Is there a reason why you won’t look at me ?" Gabrielle’s gentle voice prodded the youngster.

Raised, tear filled eyes met Gabrielle’s.

"I don’t have the right to look you in the eye. I failed you, I failed myself and I failed my heritage." Talus brushed at the tear that escaped from his eyes.

The bard looked at the boy in confusion and realized that confusion was all that she had felt since awakening. Struggling to keep her eyes open, Gabrielle reached out her hand.

"I don’t think you could have disappointed me and I think there is much here I don’t understand. I’d like to talk with you about this more. However, I’m …"

Her voice trailed off as a severe bout of nausea pulled at her. Leaning back onto the pallet Gabrielle closed her eyes. She felt the gentle wash of cool water on clean linen brush across her face and then fell asleep.



Xena stood up on deck watching as the crew cleaned up the last of the remnants of the skirmish. She turned her face out to sea and exhaled into the clean sea air. Aching to be sitting down below watching over Gabrielle, it concerned her to know the bard would sleep better without her around.

Xena had sensed many things from Gabrielle over the course of their travels, but fear of the warrior was a new experience. And one she did not particularly like to contemplate.

Her musings were interrupted as Captain Ididarus approached.

"Xena, I think we owe you and Gabrielle a great deal of thanks. The battle would have been much more costly to my crew without your assistance. How is Gabrielle doing ?" The captain looked at her with concern.

Xena raised a glance at the captain and refocused her eyes to the sea.

"She’s got a bad head wound, a high fever and she’s not sure where she is or who any of us are. We’ll just have to give this some time and wait."

The captain considered her comment, then said, "And you left her alone below ?"

Xena shook her head. " I asked … Talus to sit with her." The warrior paused.

"Look let’s be honest here. What is her real name ?"

The captain’s startled glance was quickly suppressed. "Who’s real name, Gabrielle’s ?"

Heaving a heavy sigh, Xena turned to face the man.

"You know that’s not who I’m referring to. What is Talus’ real name and how did SHE come to be aboard this boat ?"

The look Xena gave the captain brooked no denial.

The captain stared at her for a long moment and then asked "How long have you known ?"

Xena softened her look a bit, "I suspected something was amiss for sometime, I just couldn’t put my finger on it. But then during my hunt for a staff to use to spar with Gabrielle I found an Amazon mask, a fighting staff and several other items in a closet off the galley. It just sort of clicked into place."

"If you’re worried that any of the others in the crew suspect, I think you’re probably safe. They don’t seem to take much notice of Talus. However, you’re not going to be able to hide her forever."

The captain smiled with a tired shake of his head.

"No, I won’t. Arlandra has been with me for almost five summers now. Her mother was an Amazon - that’s her mask you saw below. I carried a group of them, led by Arlandra’s mother, on a trading expedition."

His eyes took a far away look as he mentally moved back in time. "I thought it strange that there were children in the party but Arliss, Arlandra’s mother, explained that it was a learning journey for the young warrior’s. And the trading that they were to do was thought safe."

"I took them to their destination and was supposed to wait for the negotiations to be completed, then haul the women and their good’s back home."

Shaking his head, he continued.

"We were moored off the coast of an island and I used the rowboat to ferry the Amazon’s to shore. The reef was too big to sail over. Anyway, the last night after all of the trades were done there was to be a great feast. Arlandra was not feeling well, so her mother left her with two Amazon guards and took the rest of the party to the victory celebration. I still don’t know what happened. There was a great ruckus and several of the Amazons were seen running back toward the boat. None of them made it back here alive."

Xena waited, when he didn’t continue, she asked, "And the two guards ?"

"We were out from the beach but not that far. When all the noise started Arlandra and the two guards came up on deck to see what was happening. Arliss was backing onto the beach fighting with two men. Her staff was swinging every which way and I thought she was getting the upper hand. Then another villager came up from behind her and beheaded her with a sword. The two guards jumped from the ship and started to swim to shore to assist their sisters in battle."

"They both made it to the beach, but they were too late. The crewman that had rowed the boat out to the beach forcibly picked one of the guards up and threw her into the rowboat. He started to turn back for the ship when the second guard handed him Arliss’ staff. The guard said to give it to Arlandra and then ran back into the battle."

"As my crewman rowed the boat back, he was attacked by archers. The Amazon was killed and the crewman severely injured. We pulled out into deeper water and waited for a few days. We hoped for a sign of any of the Amazons - I would have sent someone in to try and get them. But there was no sign."

"After waiting, I set sail back for home with Arlandra in tow."

Ididarus wearily paced over to the railing and leaned on it, casting his eyes to the sea.

"I couldn’t just send Arlandra back to the Amazon nation - how was I to know which location to send her to ? Besides, everyone that she knew was gone. I thought about taking her to live with my sister and her family. But we were a long way from my home and the journey would be delayed due to cargo commitments. So, I asked her what she wanted to do. She said she wanted to stay here."

He shook his head, "I knew I couldn’t hide her forever, but I wanted to give her a home and someone to care for her. I wasn’t stupid enough to let a little girl run loose on board…but a little boy ? Well, that’s a different story."

He shrugged his shoulders and turned his head to face Xena. "I explained that girls weren’t allowed on ships and that if we pretended Arlandra was a boy, she could stay. After a while, it just became so easy. I threw out the idea of sending her to my sister - she’s become the son I never had."

Xena quirked an eyebrow at this comment and as she began to object, Ididarus cut her off.

Smiling, he said, " I’m kidding."

"Seriously, Xena, she’s like my own daughter and I know the time is getting short for the disguise to continue to work. But I want to keep her with me for as long as possible. I know it isn’t smart, but I follow my heart."

Xena’s eyes softened as she put a strong hand on the Captain’s shoulder. "She’s a fine young girl Ididarus and her heart is in the right place, too. I’m sure she got that from you. And it does explain her strange reactions to Gabrielle."

They both turned and faced the sea.

"Gabrielle is one of those people that everyone likes instantly. I couldn’t understand what Arlandra’s problem was with her. But I now see that is wasn’t Gabrielle, as much as it was her place in the Amazon culture. The staff gave her away first thing."

The wind began to pick up and pulled at Xena’s hair. She brushed it from her face with a graceful motion. Ididarus watched out of the corner of his eye and wondered if there was any action that the warrior took that was not flowing and lithe.

"Xena," Ididarus said, "Arlandra has always viewed the Amazons as a paradox. Her mother was strong and brave and yet every Amazon that she saw failed her. No one was able to fight and win. I think she thought Gabrielle was weak. And Gabrielle was a reminder of the failure of all Amazons that she’d known."

The sound of the waves echoed around them for a brief time.

Ididarus finally continued. "Arlandra is still in shock. She’s seen much on this voyage that she never thought possible. She’s met an Amazon Queen, seen the woman fight and win, and also had to acknowledge her heritage. It is much for a girl of twelve summers to deal with."

Xena smiled, "Ah, but Gabrielle is just the person to assist her through such a trauma. However, Gabrielle has had to deal with her share of problems recently and now with her injuries, that assistance may be slower in coming."

Having turned the conversation back to her traveling partner, Xena’s worries surfaced anew. She kept flashing back to the look of fear on the bard’s face after she awoke. It set a cold churning to Xena’s stomach.

The afternoon sky was warming the decks as the two finally parted. Much had happened since the raiders had attacked in the early morning hours and Ididarus was required to see to his duties. Xena moved to check on Gabrielle.

Entering the corridor to the hold, Xena approached with great stealth. She didn’t want to awaken Gabrielle if she was resting and didn’t want to scare the girl if she was awake.

Xena slowly pushed the hold door in and peer into their current room. Arlandra was sitting by the side of the bed reading a scroll. Gabrielle appeared fast asleep.

Arlandra looked up as the door swung inward and stood up from the barrel she was sitting on. Sliding over toward Xena, she motioned to the scroll.

"Did you really fight the Titans ? Did you really fight the Centaurs ? And this Solstice story - did it really happen that way ?" The questions came from the youngster in a whispered rush.

Misreading the concern on Xena’s face, Arlandra hastened to explain. "I’ve been waking her every couple of candlemarks. I tried to get her to talk to me to see if her mind was more clear. Gabrielle finally said it would save time and questions if I just read about your adventures while I sat with her. She told me what scrolls to pull out and said that I could read them."

The slight girl paused and then straightened her already stiff posture. "Capt’n Rus taught me how to read early on. He said if you were going to command a ship you had to be able to read, write and calculate money. I keep a lot of his ship’s logs now."

Gentling her countenance, Xena bent to the young girl. "Arlandra, I didn’t think you had broken into our bags. My concern is for Gabrielle and her recovery, not that you were reading one of the scrolls."

The girl’s face paled. "How… where did you hear that name ? My name is Talus. I, I think maybe you got hit on the head too." Her eyes pleaded with Xena for acceptance of the story.

Shaking her head, the warrior knelt in front of the girl. "No, your name is Arlandra. You are an Amazon and I know the story of your mother’s trading party. Captain Ididarus told me everything."

Before the cook could interrupt, Xena continued. "I knew you were a girl Arlandra. I’ve know for some time. Captain Ididarus didn’t betray your trust. He simply gave me the missing pieces to your story."

Xena placed her hands gently on Arlandra’s shoulders. Giving the girl a soft shake she smile into her sad face. "Its going to be all right. Gabrielle and I won’t tell your secret. I just wanted you to know that everything is going to be all right."

Fear and concern, mixed with skepticism, warred on the girl’s face. She didn’t trust easily and much of her judgment of people had been turned upside down today. Finally, she gave Xena a quick hug and then started for the door.

"Capt’n Rus will be wanting his lunch soon. The schedule’s off as it is ‘cause of the fight this morning. I should be getting back to my duties. You’ll have to sit with the storyteller for a while." The cook’s reserve had returned and the emotional shields were fully in place.

Xena stood from her crouch and watched as the girl left the room. The door was almost shut when she called back.

"Talus, can you bring us some broth when you’re done feeding the crew ? I’ll need to feed Gabrielle."

The cooks facade cracked just a bit as silent relief washed into her eyes. "When I’m done feedin’ the crew I’ll bring you both in a tray."

The door’s slam echoed into the now silent hold. Xena stood looking at the door for sometime, before turning back toward the bed.

She faced right into Gabrielle’s wide open eyes.

"You know for a person who doesn’t do the ‘sensitive chat’ thing very often, you sure can pull through in a crisis."

Gabrielle watched as the worry left Xena’s face and was replaced by the first full smile she had seen in a long time.

"I have many skills," the warrior drolly replied.

Walking toward the pallet, Xena studied the bard. "How do you feel ?"

Gabrielle raised a shaking hand to her brow. "Well, my head is pounding and things are still a little blurry, but I think I’m okay. I know who I am, I know who you are and I remember the raiders."

Gabrielle paused and pulled Xena’s hand down toward her. The warrior sat on the edge of the injured woman’s pallet. Xena brushed a hand across Gabrielle’s forehead. It was still warm, but the earlier fever seemed to be dissipating. The healing herbs were doing their work.

Concern radiated from Gabrielle’s eyes as she said, "Xena, I know you didn’t stab me with a sword. I was remembering one of those battles that I experienced in Maltous. I’m sorry I took it out on you. I wasn’t thinking clearly. I didn’t mean to hurt you."

The warm smile on Xena’s face was replaced with a sad one. "These hands are deeply stained with blood Gabrielle. Its not unexpected that you would shy away from me - I’m surprise you haven’t done it sooner."

Pain wracked the bard’s face as she struggled into a sitting position. She waited a moment until the world righted it self again and then looked earnestly at the warrior.

"Xena listen to me. I’m not afraid of you. You would have had every right to run me through with the first available weapon after what happened in Chin. If you didn’t do it then, why would I think you’d start now ?"

Xena arranged several pillows behind the bard’s back to give her some support. Retaking her place at Gabrielle’s side, she sighed.

"Gabrielle, I can never tell what the future will bring. The darkness that is in me runs just below the surface. Its a constant struggle to keep it under control. Neither one of us knows what would happen if that control were to really slip."

Gabrielle felt a flash of something run through her mind. But before she could grasp it, it was gone. It sent a cold shiver of fear down through her. Pushing it aside, she took Xena’s hand.

"There are no guarantees in anything, I know that. We do the best we can. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we fail. But Xena, at least you keep trying. And I’ll keep siding with you. I promise."

Gabrielle leaned back against the pillows as exhaustion pulled at her.

"Xena, what was all of that with Talus ? He’s been talking in riddles all afternoon. First there was something about betraying his heritage, then he seemed worried about betraying me. When I tried to talk with him about it, he just changed the subject and kept asking for stories about our journeys. I finally asked if he could read. When he said ‘yes’ I gave him a couple of scrolls."

Stifling a yawn, she continued. "Then I awake to find you whispering about something and he’s hugging you ! He hasn’t shown that much trust or interest in anything we’ve done since we came on board and all of a sudden he’s hugging ? Which one of your many skills does that come under ?"

The slight sarcasm of Gabrielle’s question was softened by the smile in her tired eyes and the genuine concern she felt for the cook.

"I’ll explain everything while I change that bandage and check your stitches. I want to make sure everything is still in place."

Xena stood and reached for her herb bag. Looking over at the satchel, she spied the small silk purse from Chin. Picking both up, she returned to Gabrielle’s side.

While she cleaned and rebandaged the wound, Xena related her suspicions about the cook. She told of finding the mask, the staff and watching as the cook mimicked their practices from the safety of the hold doorway. Finally she gave a brief account of the Amazon trading party and Captain Ididarus’ duplicity.

Gabrielle gaped at her. "A girl, Talus is a girl ? Xena that’s just not possible…We would have known."

She stopped and paused.

Smiling, Gabrielle continued, "No, you would have known something was up. And you did. I just didn’t question anything. I looked and saw a kid named Talus and believed the story they told me."

Gabrielle considered the implications of this acceptance. Her judgment about trusting her reading of the ship’s characters worried her How could she have been duped so easily ? Hadn’t past mistakes been making any impression on her ? Hadn’t she learned anything ? Did she still trust so easily ?

Xena replaced her healing items into the satchel and tried to brake into Gabrielle’s train of thought. "Gabrielle, Gabrielle ?"

Receiving no response, the warrior picked up the small silk satchel and swung it back and forth in front of the bard’s face. Xena watched as Gabrielle’s gaze returned to the present.

Dropping her hand with the silk bag, Xena asked, "What is it that took you so far away ?"

Gabrielle looked up at her with resignation. "Sometimes Xena I wonder if I’m making progress at all. How could I have allowed them to lie to me so easily and never question it ?"

Xena moved to pull the bard into a hug. She pulled back but allowed her arm to stay draped over Gabrielle’s shoulder.

"Gabrielle, trusting people is what you do. You look for the good in people, its who you are. Its one of the reasons why you are so important to me. You saw the good in me when many didn’t. Don’t beat yourself up about trusting Captain Ididarus."

"He is a very trustworthy man. He put Arlandra and her needs first. You saw that. Just because you didn’t guess the rest of it does mean you aren’t learning about human nature."

Quirking a grin, Xena continued, "You know if you wanted to turn this around you could say that the only reason I knew anything was up is because I’m cynical and never trust anyone. That I always look for the worst in others…"

Gabrielle was quick to cut off that line of thought. "But Xena that’s just a gross generality. You can’t say that everything that you do always falls into one pattern. Life is more complex than that. …And…oh Gaia you got me again, didn’t you ?"

Gabrielle gently patted Xena’s arm. "Okay, I see what you mean. I can’t just make a generalization that I’ll always be duped because I have a trusting nature. You won your point."

And she added to herself, "You won, but I’m not sure you won fair. Nor am I convinced that you don’t think I’m still somewhat naive in my trusting and estimations of people. And you may be right."

Aloud, she said, "What was that you were waving in my face ?"

Xena lifted the silk bag from the pallet where she had let it fall. She handed it to Gabrielle and reminded her about the wizened man they had met in the castle of Chin.

Gabrielle’s curiosity gave her eyes a bright sparkle as she reached for the bag and opened it. Pouring the contents out onto her hand, she gasped at the beauty of the dark pearls.

"Oh Xena, they are incredible !"

Then she paused and added quietly, "I’ve only ever seen one other thing that was so dark and yet so shining and beautiful."

Gabrielle’s gaze raised to meet the warrior directly in the eye. "He was right you know, beauty can be found from darkness. It does have its place in the world."

Xena bit back a strong retort and instead offered her honest reaction. "Yes, but Gabrielle, sometimes all the darkness does is reinforce how beautiful and warm the light can be."

They sat for a few moments admiring the pearls in a comfortable silence.

Finally, Gabrielle placed the pearls back in the bag and asked, "So what do we do about Arlan…Talus ?"

Xena considered this for a moment and then replied, "I think we leave her with Ididarus. He will protect her as his daughter and when the time is right, he’ll see that she gets a proper home."

"Of course, it wouldn’t hurt for an offer of acceptance from the Amazon Queen to seal the discussion. They would at least know Arlandra had someplace to go and to call home."

Gabrielle smiled up at Xena. "I think that’s a wonderful idea. Can you talk to the Captain about it next time you see him ?"

She leaned back onto the pillows and fought to keep her eyes open.

"Exhaustion", she thought, "does not begin to describe how I feel. As a bard I should be able to come with a better word. But then I’m too tired to do that either."

Xena nodded her head at the comment and noted the quizzical smile on Gabrielle’s countenance. She then turned and watched the door expectantly. She didn’t have to wait long.

The hold door swung inward. Arlandra entered with a heavy tray laden with broth, bread, cheese and ale.

The young cook set her burden on a barrel close to the pallets and then turned to leave.

"Talus," Gabrielle began. The girl stopped her exit. She turned back to the duo and raised her eyes in question.

"You know that men are not normally welcome in an Amazon village," the bard said.

Arlandra looked at her in concern but Gabrielle continued, "But heroes always are. Thank you for taking care of me today. And thank you for bringing in the food. And most of all, thank you for jumping into the sea to save me. An Amazon Queen never forgets a hero. You’ll be welcome in our village at anytime. I hope you’ll consider a visit sometime in the future."

The cook stood looking at her for some moments and then nodded. Her eyes showed both gratitude and relief that her story would stay a secret a while longer. Arlandra knew she would have to leave soon, but it wasn’t time yet.

Xena silently watched the scene unfolding before her and then lifted up the silk bag. "Gabrielle, doesn’t an act of bravery usually deserve a reward in Amazon culture ?

Gabrielle turned to her with a puzzled expression. Her eyes were drawn to the bag in Xena’s hand. Understanding cleared her eyes and as she went to object, Xena turned to the cook.

"Talus, " Xena knelt before the slight girl.

"This is for you. This gift will remind you of us. And it will also remind you that from the remnants of darkness, sometimes beauty will arise. You’ve had some tough times in your life, but you have a father who cares for you and will take care of you. And you have made two strong new friends."

She placed the silk purse in the cook’s hands and gently prodded her toward the door. "You’d better get back to the galley in case you’re needed. I’ll take care of Gabrielle."

Arlandra looked down at the silk bag and felt the weight of it in her hand. She would open it later in the privacy of her cabin, but knew it must be a great reward to come from the Warrior Princess AND an Amazon Queen. The cook nodded her thanks and took her leave of them.

"Xena, those were yours. They were a gift and a reward to you. And I’m sure they were quite valuable. You didn’t have to …"

Xena turned and picked up a bowl of broth. She handed it to Gabrielle and grabbed a piece of cheese and some hearty bread for herself.

"Actually, Gabrielle, I considered it a reward for us. I supposed I should have asked you first. They did belong to you too." Xena stopped for a moment and then watched the smiling encouragement in her traveling companion’s eyes to continue.

"But it seemed like a good idea. Those pearls are worth quite a few dinars and if anything happens to Ididarus they would more than pay for Arlandra’s passage to the Amazons."

Gabrielle took Xena’s hand and warmly held it.

"I think it made a good sense. We’ve provided her with security and some hope for the future and she will have something to remember us by."

She picked up the bowl and began to drink the broth. Xena picked up one of the mugs of ale and added some herbs that she had set out earlier. She handed the drink to Gabrielle and watched as she drank it.

They finished off their meal. When there was no sign of Arlandra, Xena picked up the tray and carried it down to the galley. She could hear several voices as she approached.

Talus was perched on a table, waving her arms about. "You didn’t see it Tiberius, but it was so marvelous. Gabrielle was fighting five men off at a time. The staff was flying in every direction and you could see the fear in the sea raiders eyes."

She continued her embellished account of the battle as Xena slid the tray onto a table and quietly left. Shaking her head as she walked back down the narrow hall, Xena sighed. "A junior storyteller and an Amazon, that’s going to be quite a lethal combination."



The rest of the journey passed quickly and without incident. Gabrielle continued to regain her strength from the head injury. But Xena continued to worry. Gabrielle’s appetite had not fully returned and as they got closer to home, the bard began to have strong, violent nightmares.

Xena had heard Gabrielle mumble a few words in her sleep, but the Bard was decidedly closed mouth about the content. Xena believed that Gabrielle could truly not remember the content of her dreams and yet they were having a great effect on the Bard’s normally sunny disposition.

Xena contemplated options as she watched the ship sail into port. "Perhaps a side trip on the way home was called for," she ruminated, "If they didn’t get sidetracked by some catastrophe, The Temple of Mnemosyne was not that far out of the way…"

The End


Return to The Bard's Corner

ngth from the head injury. But Xena continued to worry. Gabrielle’s appetite had not fully returned and as they got closer to home, the bard began to have strong, violent nightmares.

Xena had heard Gabrielle mumble a few words in her sleep, but the Bard was decidedly closed mouth about the content. Xena believed that Gabrielle could truly not remember the content of her dreams and yet they were having a great effect on the Bard’s normally sunny disposition.

Xena contemplated options as she watched the ship sail into port. "Perhaps a side trip on the way home was called for," she ruminated, "If they didn’t get sidetracked by some catastrophe, The Temple of Mnemosyne was not that far out of the way…"

The End


Return to The Bard's Corner