Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: Implied.

Violence: None. Yet<G>

Language: Mild

Spoilers: Minor spoilers for A Comedy of Eros

Other: Part fourteen in the series "Legends Legacy". Takes place right after "Cupid’s Arrow"

 

 

Sometimes the Best Thing You Can Do…

By T.Novan

TNOVAN@aol.com

 

I watch quietly as Xe rubs her temples. I know better than to say a word. Kess stomped off to the room we prepared for her.

"Ri, tell me again why we had so many children." She mumbles at me, giving me a look through the slits that used to be her eyes.

"Because we love each and everyone of them." I rub her shoulders, hoping to release the tension there.

"I knew there was a good reason." She pats my hand tenderly. "But do they all have to be as stubborn as you are?"

"Every last one of them and I hope the grandchildren have it too." I tease, hoping to lighten the mood for my partner.

"The world may not survive it." She kisses my hand. Then she turns impossibly blue eyes on me. "What are we gonna do?"

"About?"

"This whole mess with John and Kess."

"We could just let it happen. Come on Xe, they’ve known each other since they were kids. What makes you think that it wasn’t going to happen anyhow?"

She sighs dropping her eyes back to the table and picking at the surface. "I suppose." She drums her fingers in the tabletop for a moment. "Okay, he wants my daughter." She raps her knuckles on the table, contemplating her next move. "He’s going to have to prove he’s worthy of her."

"Xe what are you thinking?"

"Well, I think a little series of tests are in order."

"Oh no they’re not! Xe what a ridiculous idea. You’ve known that boy almost his entire life. You know he’s a good man."

"I know the boy was a good boy. I have no idea about the man he’s become."

I drop my hands from her shoulders and take a seat next to her. "Come on Xe. At least give Kess a little credit…"

"She’s under the influence of Cupid’s arrow."

"Okay, give Mel and Rosa a little credit then. Did they seem unhappy at the thought of Kess being with John?"

"No."

"Don’t you think that if they thought there was a real problem they would have spoken up? I mean Rosa and Kess co-rule and Mel is their champion. They are the three most powerful women in the Amazon Nation and they don’t have a problem with it."

She sighed, shaking her head. "She’d have to give up being Queen."

"So."

"So? So? How can you say so?"

"Mel gave it up." I remind her. "And Rosa is a strong Queen in her own right."

Xena moaned, letting her forehead drop to the table. "Okay, okay. I give up. Go get her. I’ll take her back up top."

I lean over and give my suffering partner a kiss on the cheek. "You won’t regret it sweetheart and you know it in your heart."

***

My daughter hugs me tightly as I put my cloak on and I wrap my arms around her. "I love you Mom."

"I love you too. I must to do this crazy thing." I give the top of her head a kiss.

"It’s not crazy. We won’t disappoint you. I promise."

I lift her chin, so I’m looking into eyes that mirror Ri’s own. "You could never disappoint me. I just want you to be happy."

"He makes me happy." She says shyly.

"Did he make you happy before this thing with Cupid? Did you feel anything for him before that?"

"Yes." She nods. "I just found the courage to act on it."

"Very well then. But if he hurts you Kess…"

"The Amazon Nation will tear him limb from limb Mom"

I have to laugh. She right, they would. "True. And if they don’t, I will."

"He loves me. Trust me to know that."

"I do trust you." I wrap my cloak around her. "Let’s get you back to your young man."

***

Xe’s arms wrap around me as we stand well back, in the shadow of the trees and watch the wedding. I feel her resting her cheek on the top of my head I stroke her arms. "They are very happy." I whisper. "Kessa is a beautiful bride."

"Almost as beautiful as you were." Her arms tighten around me. "Well, it’s seems they all did it doesn’t it Ri?"

"What?"

"They all grew up on us, Solan, Mel, Kai, Bailus, Kess and Rosa. They all grew up and became adults. With minds of their own."

"Yes, they did. We gave them everything we could. Showed them right from wrong. Taught them about the greater good." Tears creep down my cheeks as we watch the festivities. "Look at them Xe. There’s your redemption. Six children, four of which have taken mates. And our grandchildren, there’s the goodness you wanted for so long. You did a remarkable job of it."

"We did it, my love. You and I together. Partners, now and forever."

I turn in her arms. "We should go now."

She looks down at me. "You want to go down there don’t you?"

"Of course I do. I want to hold my grandchildren and hug my children."

She draws a deep breath. "Then do it. You go see them. I’ll come back for you later."

"Xe…" I know it hurts her that she’s not suppose to come topside or be involved on a regular basis. A rule she breaks far too often when it comes to our family.

She kisses the top of my head. "No go on. I’ll go pick on Ares for a bit." She grins. "I know I can goad him into a fight."

***

"Come on Ares! I need a good tension reliever!"

He appears before me, leering. "What did you have in mind?"

"Don’t be stupid. Stupid." I draw my sword. "Thought you might be in the mood." I wave the tip of my blade in his face.

He smirks and takes a step back, drawing his own blade. "For you, I’m always happy to oblige." He twirls his sword and lunges.

We cross at the hilt and I shove him back. He stumbles a bit then straightens. "What’s got you in such a bad mood? The annoying little blonde lock you out of the bedroom?"

"You wish!" I charge and we battle for a few moments in earnest. He’s learned a few new moves since we did this last. I’m impressed. I jump to avoid his blade and land on a ledge a few feet up. "Come on! Even you can do better than that! You fight like a first season amazon." I grin. "Training with a staff."

"Now that was not nice!" He joins me on the ledge and our fight resumes. The one thing Ares and I have always agreed on is, that we love to fight. And we do it so well. I guess, in an odd sort of way, for Ares and I this is kind of our version of making love. It’s as close as he’s ever gonna get and he knows it. And it’s as close as I’d ever let him get.

Besides, he always enjoys a chance to show off his sword.

I dodge slightly to the right, then fake to the left before just flipping over his and turning to kick him in the butt. He’s so cute when he’s confused. "Pretty sloppy for the God of War." I taunt. "I’ve got guards in Tartarus’ lower levels that fight better than that."

"Why," He lunges and I sidestep letting him pass by me. "Do you," He spins around and twirls his sword two or three times. "Say those things to me?"

"Awww did I hurt your whittle Godwy peelings?" I pout at him, slashing my blade back and forth.

"I don’t wanna play anymore!" He says, right before he vanishes.

Yup, guess I did. Well, that was a nice distraction for all of ten minutes. "You big baby!" I yell before I take myself topside again.

***

I have little Xena in my arms. She’s six months old now and so beautiful. How I wish I could spend more time with them. I miss not being able to watch them grow up on a daily basis. The party continues around us as I cuddle her close to me. She is the spitting image of Xena. Same dark hair, same blue eyes, same smile, same attitude, she’s adorable.

"Grandma?"

I look up to find Dante, my eldest grandson. My how he’s grown. He’s so tall and handsome like Solan. He’s going to be a full-grown man in his own right soon and the group of girls that are watching him from across the field laughing and casting almost lustful looks at him are a testament to his good looks. "Yes?"

He takes a seat next to me. "I was wondering if you would talk to dad for me."

"Dante what is there that you can’t talk to your father about?"

His gaze drops a bit. "I want to leave home and join the Greek army. Father says I’m too young and…" He shakes his head a bit, interlacing his fingers. "I’m old enough to go to the Military Academy in Athens, like Uncle Bailus did."

"What does your father want you to do?"

"He wants me to raise horses like he does."

"What’s wrong with raising horses?"

"There’s nothing wrong with raising horses. But it’s just not what I want to do. You and Grandma Xena always said we should be allowed to do what we want, when we’re old enough to make our own decisions. Why am I allowed to make my own decisions about so many things, but not this?" He sighs and his shoulders slump.

I’m about to say something when the sun is suddenly blocked. I look up to find Xena.

She gives me a grin and winks. "Ares didn’t want to play." She shrugs. She offers her arm to Dante. "Come on son. Let’s go talk to your father."

I cuddle Little Xena close to me, watching the festivities surrounding my daughter’s wedding. Every member of my family is here. Happy. Healthy. Alive and celebrating. Their friends surround them. There is only love here. No war. No hate. None of the things that Xena and I suffered through.

I smile. Glad for my own pain. It made me who I am today.

It made her who she is. I knew she wouldn’t be able to stay away.

This is her greatest glory.

 

TBC….

 

 


Return to Legends Legacy