Making Strides (part 5 of 5)
by Tonya Muir
 

(disclaimers and random ramblings in part 1)

They'd ended up finding a theatre in Castle Rock and seeing a movie.  There was little else open on Christmas day.  None of them really watched the film: Rachel had clung to her partner desperately, Lacey was deep in thought, and Ronnie was too affected by the two women beside her to concentrate on anything.

They found a King Soopers where they bought some food from the deli section and ate in the car.  Lacey'd purchased some candy bars and tucked them away in jeans pockets.  It was nearing time to meet the rest of the group and the tension in the vehicle was palpable.

"Let's go," Lacey said at last.

When they met up with George and the others, they were all greeted with hugs.  By now Rachel was wiping silently at wet cheeks and Lacey kept constant contact with her even as she caught up Rico and George.  The group had decided to leave Sheriff Railer out of this latest development, knowing he would ask questions they couldn't answer and also knowing that he couldn't help them at this point.

Lacey and Rachel crawled into the back of the van.  George drove, Rico sat in front.  Mary and Ronnie followed in Ronnie's car.

The vehicles parked where the women had stopped earlier in the day, the clicking of guns being loaded and checked made Rachel cringe.  The two sat on the floor between the van's first bench seat and the driver's seat, allowing Lacey to settle the blonde between her legs while her back was supported on the wall of the vehicle.

Rachel began to whimper.

"Shhh," Lacey crooned, wrapping her arms and legs around the smaller woman.  She rubbed Rachel's stomach with a warm gentle hand, knowing she was probably on the verge of being sick.

"My heart hurts," the blonde woman whispered, turning her head to tuck it under her lover's chin.  She took deep breaths of the skin there, wanting the scent of her lover to overwhelm her.  The pain was tangible.

"I know, baby."

"I ache inside."

George slid the van door open and stood just outside.  As the sun went down the air chilled dramatically and where before the wind had been cold, now it was downright biting as it whipped into the van and rustled the plastic and papers that lay within.  Rachel snuggled more deeply in the warmth of her lover's embrace.

Lacey rocked the small woman, using her right hand to press the blonde head firmly to her upper chest.  She dipped her head into the back of Rachel's neck, murmuring words of comfort.  They were just streams of thought actually: words about their love and commitment, the time they would share together, how Molly would be home soon.

The pain Rachel felt was beyond sobs.  Her chest and throat ached with the soundless sorrow, her face was wet with silent tears.  She clutched at the dark woman's lapels, trying to crawl right into her heart, keening softly with her anguish.  So consumed were they and so loud the howling wind, they didn't hear the vehicle that stopped opposite them across the highway.  George reached in and patted Lacey's knee.

The dark woman looked up and nodded, wiping tears from her face, pushing Rachel away and doing the same to her cheeks.  They tumbled out of the van together, the blonde not sure she could even stand on her own and leaning heavily on her tall companion.  Dusk was just falling but they could see the vehicle across from them in clear outline.  It was a dark Suburban and several people climbed out, all holding weapons.  Then Molly was tugged out and stood shakily in the center of the group.  Rachel nearly did fall down at the sight of her child.

Lacey's cell phone rang quite unexpectedly and the dark woman answered it.

"You for the girl.  Easy enough.  Don't do anything stupid."

Lacey looked across the deserted road and saw Jeremy with one hand on Molly's shoulder and the other hand by his ear.

"Not a chance," Lacey assured him, turning off the phone and putting it in her coat pocket.  Then she turned to face her lover and shrugged out of her trench coat.  She wrapped it around Rachel's shoulders, the length of it brushing the ground.  The blonde started to protest.

"No, you wear it," Lacey murmured, tugging the lapels together and pulling her lover closer.  "Keep it for me."

Rachel's smile was watery.  The coat was very much a part of Lacey, it was a symbol of the dark woman and it was important to her.

The evening was nearing frigid without the protection of leather but Lacey wouldn't have it any other way.  She cupped her lover's cheeks, looked deep into liquid emerald eyes.  "I love you, Raich.  Completely."

The blonde whimpered.

Lacey kissed her deeply, chasing the chill out of her bones with the memories the kiss wrought.  Rachel melted into the touch, snaking her arms up to the dark woman's head, holding it still and allowing her to delve deeper.  They parted, rested foreheads together.  "George will keep an eye on you and Molly, baby.  I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Rachel choked.

Lacey kissed her again, hugged her tightly.  "Whatever happens, know that you are the best thing in my life, that I love you with all my heart."

"I love you, too," Rachel whispered.

It was hard letting go but eventually Lacey did, stepping away from the blonde and turning to face the group across the street.  She didn't say anything to Rico or George, not being able to speak any more for fear of crumbling.  She'd never done anything more difficult in her life than this: walking away from a trembling, crying Rachel.  Leaving her family hadn't been this hard.  Each step forward was painful as she made her way across the highway.  She heard guns cock behind her and in front of her and cringed.  Already this wasn't looking good.

Just as the dark woman turned and began to walk away, Rachel saw the van headlights reflect off of something on her lover's hand.  Squinting her eyes to see through her tears, she saw that Lacey wore a band on her left ring finger.  Despite her hurting heart, the sight made her smile slightly.  She recalled vaguely feeling the cold metal against her cheek when the dark woman had cradled her face and kissed her goodbye.  She'd not registered the unfamiliar feeling at that moment.

Across from them, Molly was shoved forward and started walking as well, stumbling a few steps and then breaking into a trot.

"Walk!" Jeremy yelled, angered that the meeting would take place closer to Lacey's team.

Molly hesitated.

"Walk, baby," Lacey called gently.  "It's okay."

The child consented and slowed her steps again.  Their pacing had them meet on the double yellow line, a good twenty five yards from each group.  Lacey scooped the girl up into an embrace, holding her close, unmindful of her stale unclean smell and stringy oily hair.  The child sobbed into Lacey's neck, clinging to her tightly.

"Oh, baby," Lacey murmured.  "Molly-girl.  We missed you so.  Did he hurt you?"

"No," Molly replied, voice muffled and choked.

Lacey pushed her away to observe the child's features.  Though pale and drawn, she looked unharmed.  The dark woman leaned forward to kiss Molly's cheeks and forehead.  "I love you, sweetie.  You need to take care of your Mama for a couple of days until I get back to you.  Okay?"

The girl nodded slowly, resisting when Lacey placed her back on her feet.  After a long moment she allowed the dark-haired woman to step away.  "Go to your Mama," Lacey pointed back the way she'd come.  "I'll see you soon."

"Lace?"

"Go on, Molly-girl," Lacey prodded.  Slowly, the child turned and started on her way.  She was no more then five feet from Lacey when Jeremy and his team opened fire.

Lacey froze for just a moment.  "Fuck you, Jeremy," she growled.  She knew exactly what was going on.  He was forcing Lacey to protect Molly.  The shots were wild and over their heads but dangerous regardless.  And Lacey's side had answered the fire readily.  Lacey dove the short distance to the little girl and bore her to the ground, tucking the small body underneath her larger one.

Molly was crying.  "It's okay, baby.  Hold on," Lacey said softly.

The sound was nearly deafening between the wind and the gunshots.  It was moments later that Lacey realized she heard a vehicle, too.  Then she was being dragged to her feet, Molly still in her arms, and tossed into the Suburban.  Turning to look over the seat as the vehicle sped Northbound, Lacey saw George holding a screaming Rachel in his sure grip.  Fuck.  Coulda gone better.  I'm sorry, baby, but I'll keep her safe.  She turned her attention back to Molly, cradled in her arms.

She resituated the child, purposefully elbowing the men on either side of her.  She recognized both from the pictures Rachel had selected in the office last week.  She still hadn't gotten a good look at her brother who sat in the front passenger seat.  Instead she concentrated her attention on the child in her lap.

The little girl's blue eyes seemed wary as they glanced around the interior of the darkening vehicle.  When they turned to rest on Lacey's face, she smiled meekly.

"Hey," Lacey murmured, smoothing the girl's tangled hair away from her face.  She still wore the clothes she'd been abducted in and smelled dirty and soiled.

Without a word, Molly launched herself at the dark woman again and wrapped thin arms around Lacey's neck.

"I've got you, honey."  She tightened her embrace around the child, pressing warm lips against the temple just below her chin.

"Oh, how touching," Jeremy scoffed from his front seat, glancing over his shoulder and meeting Lacey's eyes for the first time.

The dark woman considered him, child still clutched in her arms.  She watched his angular profile and those slate grey eyes, realizing she would have recognized him easily even just in passing while walking along the street.  He looked very much like the brother she remembered who had snuggled in her bed, tucked against her side.  He was almost five years younger than she and she'd taken great pains to raise him when her parents were too busy fighting or dealing, which was most of the time.

His eyes turned cold and his lip curled upwards in a sneer.  "How can you care for your whore's daughter?  Smelly little thing that she is."  He looked forward again as the Suburban stopped.  Then he hopped out and removed the roadblock they'd set up, tossing it aside to allow traffic through once more.

Molly trembled at the man's words, pressing herself further into the warmth of Lacey's body.

"Shhh," the woman soothed, rubbing her back.  "I love you and your Mama, you know that.  Whatever that man has said to you, he's only said to be mean."

The little girl nodded, wanting to believe the words.  It felt so good to be held in these familiar arms after several days of loneliness and fear she'd endured.

"Hey," Lacey nudged the child away gently as the Suburban started up again.  "I have something for you."  The woman shifted her weight and stuffed a hand in her pocket to withdraw a slightly smashed Snickers bar.  "You hungry?"

Molly's blue eyes flicked from the candy to Lacey and then back.  She nodded.  Lacey opened the wrapper and placed the chocolate bar in the girl's hands.

The child practically shoved the entire thing in her mouth.

"Easy, baby," Lacey said softly, watching how Molly gripped the bar with both hands and chewed on one end voraciously.  It was this close observation that allowed her to see the raw rings around the child's wrists.  She thought she might explode from anger.

Lacey recognized the man to her right as Lionel from the pictures Rachel had identified.  He appeared agitated by the girl or the candy bar, or maybe both.  The large man eyed them as if debating whether to deny the food to the child and to Lacey he looked like he might move to do just that.

Lacey raised a slim dark eyebrow, clearing her throat and getting the man's attention.  "Lay one God damned finger on her and I'll kill you with my bare hands," she growled softly, sending chills into everyone in the vehicle.

Jeremy chuckled after a prolonged silence.  "Big words considering the situation the two of you are in."

"The deal was me for the girl, you bastard.  I see you're even less honest than you were as a kid.  Part of this job is morals and ethics, Jeremy.  You fucking blew that right out of the water."

"Tell ya what, Mary Poppins, you can lecture me on proper etiquette some other time.  Right now I suggest you shut up and keep the brat quiet.  We all have a better chance of getting along that way."

Though she desperately wanted to leap into the front seat and pound some sense into her brother, Lacey restrained herself.  She looked down into Molly's trusting face and saw that she'd finished the candy.  Lacey wiped her face off with large gentle hands, smiling warmly and kissing the pale cheeks.

Her touch was reassuring and incredibly welcome.  Even with these men around, Molly was able to soak in the woman's warmth and love, snuggle more deeply into her lap and arms, and find a peaceful sleep that had evaded her for days.

Now that Lacey was here and protecting her, she knew everything would be okay.

XXXXX

George sat silently in the darkened bedroom.  He'd pulled the not-so-comfortable chair up to the bedside and held Rachel's hand in his, smoothing his thumb across the back of it, feeling the fine bones there.  Even in the near darkness, his chocolate skin contrasted starkly with silvery pale hue of her skin.

The young blonde had been alternately sick, hysterical, and quietly pensive.  Now she sniffled softly into the pillow.

They'd had to bodily drag her into the van to leave the scene before the gunfire attracted legal interest.  She'd begged from the backseat for them to follow the Suburban but Rico and George were nothing if not loyal to Lacey and they knew her plan should be followed.  Tonight, late, they'd activate the tracker and pinpoint the location.  Deciding not to drive all the way back to Breckenridge, they found themselves at Ronnie's parents, taking over the lower level with many apologies.

Her parents had been surprisingly calm about the whole thing, as if this was nothing, causing George to tease his friend about the hellion she must have been growing up since this catastrophe didn't faze them.  Ronnie'd taken the ribbing easily and had immediately left with Mary to go back to the condo and get Karma.  In between whimpering for her lover and her child, Rachel had voiced concern for her pet.

"George?" the blonde murmured, bringing her guardian's attention back to the present.

"Hmm?" he responded gently.

"I'm sorry I was so difficult tonight."

"Oh, honey," George scooted to the end of his chair so he could lean over Rachel's head and shoulders.  "You weren't."  He stroked her back tenderly.  He spoke the truth.  She'd been distraught and argumentative at first, turning to devastated as the evening wore on.  But she'd been responsive and understanding, allowing the others to handle arrangements and discuss their plans for the evening.  Even when she was kneeling in front of the toilet, suffering retching and dry heaves, she'd been quiet and receptive to George's solicitous attentions.

"We met a year ago two weeks from tomorrow," Rachel murmured, opening glittering eyes to study her friend in the gentle moonlight.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to her," George said honestly.  "I've known her for a very long time but you bring out a different person in her."

"I don't see her like you do.  I never have.  I know that she was cold and violent and did horrible things ... but to me she's warm and gentle and kind."

The black man nodded, squeezing the hand he held.  "She is those things.  I think she always had it in her which is why she was already questioning what she was doing.  When she met you, you were the beginning of her leaving.  She had the will, she needed the motivation."

"She'll be back," the small woman whispered with honest conviction.

George nodded, having no doubt in his mind that Lacey would move the world to come back to this woman and bring her daughter.  "Yeah.  Tomorrow at this time, the three of you will be sleeping soundly."

They heard the front door open and moments later the bedroom door was pushed open to allow Karma entrance.  The dog loped into the room and jumped on the bed, washing Rachel's face with a warm tongue.

The blonde pushed the licking beast's face away but pulled her closer into an embrace.  The dog settled on the bed next to her mistress, tucked gently into her arms.  Ronnie stood at the doorway and watched them.

"How are you?" the other woman's voice traveled easily across the silent room.

"M'okay," Rachel muttered.  "Thank you for driving all the way back for her."

Ronnie shrugged, moved quietly into the room.  "Coupla hours, no big deal."  She looked to George and rested a hand on his broad shoulder.  "You want a break?  I'll chat with Rachel for awhile."

George looked from the standing woman to the prone one, getting a barely perceptible nod from the latter.  He rose to his feet and reached down to pat Rachel's hip.  "I'll be back in a bit."

Ronnie claimed his seat and leaned back quietly, moving her feet to rest them on the bed.  "This okay?" she asked the small woman, indicating her stockinged feet.

Rachel nodded.

They were silent for a very long time, soaking in the darkness of the room and the varying emotions of the day.  "I know we don't really know each other," Ronnie said softly after a while.  "I just ... I wanted to say that I really feel, inside, that everything's gonna be fine.  Because what you have is too special to end any other way."

"Thank you," Rachel murmured.  "I appreciate that.  And I appreciate you keeping me company.  I'm not sure I can be alone right now."

"I'm glad to be here, Rachel."

XXXXX

Lacey was only aware that they'd gone North before cutting across to the highway and doubling South.  After they exited from the freeway, there was too much darkness to be able to discern much more than trees.

She'd been dragged out of the vehicle, the motion causing Molly to stir and awaken.  Lacey shifted her weight gently and kissed her temple, causing the little girl to wrap the woman tightly in an embrace.  For the first time she got a look at the driver of the vehicle and realized it was Peter Grazier, the man Rachel had recognized at the student union and quite possibly the muscle behind the entire operation.  She studied him as best she could before Lionel shoved her none-too-gently away from the Suburban.

The driveway was gravel and as Lacey pivoted quietly she saw nothing but moonlight and trees.  They were in a very secluded area.  The house before them opened as Jeremy slipped inside and disappeared.  Lacey and her charge were ushered into the house, through the kitchen, and then down narrow stairs into the basement.  Molly whimpered when she blinked open weary eyes and recognized her surroundings.

Lacey wrinkled her nose as she took in the room.  It was small and smelled badly of excrement and sweat.  Obviously, this is where the girl had been kept for her stay and hadn't been allowed facilities or any means to wash herself.  Lacey's eyes landed on the chains and cuffs and she trembled with anger.

"Tell that fucker brother of mine to get his ass down here," she forced out between gritted teeth.  She hugged Molly to her, rocking her slightly.

Lionel looked at her stunned, surprised that she'd be demanding anything.

"Fine," Lacey turned on her heels and started back up the stairs herself.  The men who'd accompanied her to the basement followed, startled.

She found Jeremy in the back of the house in the dining room with Grazier.  Her brother was flipping through some papers and glanced up at her when she came in.  He stood up and began to berate his men for their lack of skill.

"Shut up, Jeremy," Lacey barked.  "Listen to me.  I'm really not in the mood to figure out why the hell you're doing what you're doing.  I'm not going to ask you how you forgot what we were, how much we meant to each other, how we turned to each other when our parents beat the shit out of us.  Why you hired someone like Peter Grazier," she purposefully used his name so the two would know she was well informed, "and his thugs to pull off such an idiotic stunt.  I am, however, very much in the mood to beat the shit out of you myself, right here, right now, if you don't improve our conditions a bit."

Jeremy stood silently for several beats, something close to shame may have flashed across his face.  He noticed how the girl clung to his sister with infinite faith and trust, vaguely remembered a time when he'd done the same.  He found, here in the end of the execution of his plan, it wasn't nearly as fulfilling as he'd hoped.  He glanced to the burly man at his side, a man hired to complete a job.  The other man's obligation would be up by morning when Lacey and the girl were delivered.  Jeremy turned back to his sister.

"What do you want?" he said at last, wearily.

Lacey accepted the change in demeanor and gentled her tone.  "We need a clean room.  And some time in a bathroom with a shower.  She needs some clean clothes, even a clean T-shirt or a sweatshirt or something.  She needs a decent meal and water."

Jeremy met his sister's eyes for a long time before tilting his head in consideration.  "Fine."  He turned to Lionel.  "Take them to the upstairs bathroom.  They can have the room at the end of the hall, nail the window closed, guard the door."  Without another word he turned to his files again.

Lionel checked the medium sized bathroom over completely before exiting and using a quick jerk of his head to indicate that Lacey should go in.  She did, closing and locking the door behind her.  Then she knelt down, steadying Molly on her feet in front of her.

"No," the girl cried, clutching at her, not wanting to lose the connection.

"Shhh, I'm right here," Lacey crooned, gently undoing the girls pants and pulling them down.  Molly clutched at Lacey's shoulder and cried.  With distaste, the woman tossed the soiled pants aside.

"Don't be mad," Molly sobbed.

"Honey?  What are you talking about?  I'm not mad," Lacey looked to the child, greatly confused.

"I wet my pants," the girl choked out, pressing her face into Lacey's neck.

Lacey shook her head slowly, amazed that Molly would be focusing on that.  "Shhh, it's no big deal, Molly-girl.  We'll just get you cleaned up, is all.  Accidents happen."

"Embarrassed," the child whimpered.

"I know, honey.  But it's okay.  Here," she pushed Molly away gently to pull off her shirt and toss it across the room as well.  Then she removed the soiled underwear, adding them to the pile.  Molly stood naked before her, trembling and still clutching at Lacey, loathe to break the contact.

Lacey took the opportunity to examine her.  Aside from the chafing on her wrists and her jutting ribs, she really did look unharmed.  Satisfied, Lacey stood, picking up Molly as well when it was obvious the girl wasn't going to give her any other choice.  She brought them over to the tub and knelt again, turning on the water and checking the temperature.  Molly remained attached to her, leaning heavily on the dark woman.

"Ready?"

Molly shook her head, still crying.

"Baby, you'll feel better clean.  I promise."

The child was sobbing too hard to speak, trying to scale the woman's body to get back into her arms.

Lacey sighed, picked Molly up and rocked her.  "I know it was horrible.  We were so worried about you.  But I'm here now, and I won't let anything happen to you.  You don't have to be frightened anymore."

"He called me bad names.  And you and Mama.  Said I was worthless."

"I know," Lacey murmured.  "But they were all lies, just words to make you sad, Molly.  Nothing more."  She rocked her silently for several long moments, waiting for the tears to subside.  Molly was weary and exhausted, overwhelmed by her own emotions as well as the events of the last several days.  Lacey knew that they'd be dealing with the repercussions of this for a long time to come.

"I have an idea," Lacey said at last, still rocking the small naked form.  "How about if we shower together?  Would that be okay?"

Molly nodded, finding this an acceptable solution.  She released her death grip from Lacey though she retained some form of contact even after the woman set her on her feet in order to take off her own clothes.

Though Lacey and Rachel had changed in front of Molly without thought and Rachel had showered with the little girl before, Lacey felt mildly awkward as she stepped into the shower with Molly's small form.  Any uneasiness vanished when they began the task of washing.  Lacey shampooed the girl's hair twice, using long fingers to massage Molly's scalp and lather her hair.

The girl accepted the attention easily, swaying on her feet as she leaned into the touch and absorbed the tenderness.  She blinked open blue eyes once her hair was rinsed, glad to be sheltered from the blinding spray of the water by Lacey's tall body.  She noticed the bandage at the top of Lacey's pubic hair and reached out to touch it very gently.

"Are you hurt?" she whispered, looking up the long body in front of her.

Lacey knelt down and grinned, smoothing back Molly's wet hair.  "Unh unh.  That's how Rico and George are gonna find us.  Shhh," she raised a finger to her lips.  "Our secret."

Though Molly returned the smile with a small one of her own, she was obviously confused.  "By a cut?"

"There's a little machine in there that will let them know where we are.  Your Mama put it in for me."

Blue eyes twinkled with the prospect of getting out of this horrible place and back to her Mama.  "Really?"

"Yup."

"And Rico and George will find us?"

"Yup," she kissed the child's forehead, repeated her earlier request.  "Our secret."

"Okay," she nodded, enjoying the conspiracy.  "George is back?" she asked, suddenly realizing what both of them had said.

"He came out here to help us find you."

She nodded silently, apparently pleased with this information.

"Let's finish cleaning up so we can eat and go to sleep."

Molly nodded again, taking the bar of soap Lacey offered her.

While Lacey was toweling the child dry, there was a knock on the door.  Molly nearly jumped out of her skin.

"Yeah?" the dark-haired woman called.

"Clothes," came the gruff reply.

"Stay here, baby," Lacey steered the little girl between the toilet and the tub.  She wrapped the towel around her and kissed her head.  Then she donned a towel as well.

Looking over her shoulder to be sure the child was where she'd left her, Lacey unlocked the door and opened it a crack.  The outside air was cool compared to the steamy heat of the bathroom and she took a deep breath of it, collecting the stack of clothing Lionel offered.

"Great. Thanks," Lacey said sarcastically, closing and locking the door again.

Then she tugged Molly out of her corner and back into the middle of the room.  "Let's see what we have, here," the dark woman murmured, rifling through the clothes.

There was a T-shirt that was an adult size small so she pulled it out.  Then she found some sweatpants that were also small but would be ridiculously big on the child.  It was better than nothing and luckily the pants had a drawstring.

She pulled the T-shirt over the little girl's head and noticed it fell to her mid-thighs.  Lacey smiled and Molly leaned forward to kiss the dark woman, wrapping her arms around the broad shoulders.  "I love you."

"I love you, too, baby," Lacey whispered back, pulling the pants onto her willing subject.  Then she disentangled herself so she could tighten the waist and fold up the legs.  She leaned back to look at the results.

Molly stood before her, drowning in the borrowed clothes, still holding onto Lacey's arm.  But she was clean and much calmer than she had been before.

"Give me a minute to get dressed?" Lacey requested gently, unhooking the child's fingers and backing away.  Molly agreed reluctantly, watching as the dark woman changed back into the clothes she'd been wearing before.  She pressed the towel against her wet but still braided hair before hanging the damp towels over the shower curtain rod.

"Ready?" She turned to Molly who looked at her with big round eyes.  "Sure you are.  C'mere," she extended a hand and Molly stepped forward to take it.  Lacey unlocked the bathroom door with her free hand and they stepped out into the hallway together.

Lionel glanced at them, nodded shortly.  "Follow me," he stepped down the hallway.  Lacey glanced at the other guard before stepping behind Lionel and heading towards their room.  Lionel opened a door at the end of the hall, sweeping his hand toward the room beyond.

Lacey stopped just outside the threshold, still holding Molly's hand.  "What about her dinner?"

"I'll check on it," he growled.  The dark woman offered him her most feral grin.  He seemed surprised.

"You do that," she snarled back, raising a slim eyebrow.

Lionel gained some courage from somewhere and leaned forward, towering over the child but not Lacey.  "You talk pretty big for a prisoner."

Molly whimpered, uncomfortable in the big man's shadow.  She pressed back into Lacey and turned around, trying to scale the tall body.  Lacey picked her up with no evidence of exertion and held her close, rocking her gently.  "Prisoner implies I'm here against my will," Lacey grinned evilly.  "Let me assure you that I'm not."  She passed the man and went into the room, pulling the door out of his hand and slamming it behind her.

The words were true enough, she'd come here of her own free will.

Dinner was delivered shortly in the form of grilled cheese sandwiches and vegetable soup.  It was better than the child had been receiving and she ate it greedily, small body pressed tightly to her mother's lover while she ate.  Lacey didn't have much of an appetite but made sure the child ate all of her own food and then some of Lacey's as well.

"Can you sleep?" Lacey asked gently, taking the tray and carrying it over tot he dresser by the door.  This room was larger and better furnished than the hole in the basement.  There was a queen-sized bed with a comforter and several pillows.  The dressers were all a light oak, matching the end tables and the woodwork surrounding the door and window.  Overall, it was a comfortable surrounding and Molly had relaxed quite a bit since being closed in here with just Lacey.

Molly shrugged, watching the door warily.

"What is it, baby?"

"I need to go to the bathroom," Molly whispered shyly.

"Ah," Lacey nodded.  "Good idea."  She took the few extra steps to the door and knocked on it.  She heard the outside bolt being pulled back.

"What now?" Lionel growled, thinking watching his small charge had been much easier before the bitch came along.

"We need to go to the bathroom."

"Great," he sighed, pulling the door wider.

Lacey went back to the bed and took Molly's hand, tugging her gently.  The girl followed willingly though she was practically attached to Lacey's leg.

It wasn't much later that Lacey crawled into bed with the little girl.  Molly curled against her warmly, wrapping the dark woman tightly in small arms and legs.  Lacey hugged her as well, stroking the still damp hair with gentle fingers.  She didn't plan on sleeping at all, wanting to be completely awake when Rico and George made their appearance.

"You're wearing the ring," Molly whispered.  "Did you give Mama hers?"

"Kind of," Lacey smiled, kissing the top of Molly's head.

"Kind of?  Did she like it?"

"I dunno.  We'll ask her when we see her."

Molly was quiet for a few seconds.  She snuggled even closer.  "Does this mean you're married?"

"Mmm," Lacey considered the best way to answer.  "More like we're committed to each other.  We can't get married because we're both women."

The child pushed away to seek Lacey's light eyes in the darkness.  "If you could marry her, would you?"

"If she'd have me," Lacey smiled.

The little girl chuckled.  "Of course she'd have you.  What does it mean to be committed?"

Lacey pursed her lips in thought.  "It means that your mama and I will be together always.  That we'll work through the hard parts and cherish the good parts.  That we want to be together for our lives."

Molly appeared to consider this.  "Mama said that?"

"Not exactly," Lacey grinned at her own evasiveness.  "But I feel that way, so I think she does too."

"The rings give you that?" Molly asked incredulously, thinking those were some pretty magic rings.

Lacey laughed softly, bouncing the child with her body.  She leaned over and kissed Molly's head again.  "No.  We give each other that.  The rings are a symbol of it so when we're not together, we can touch the ring and know.  And it's so other people know that we're committed to each other."  She raised her hand to examine the band in question.  It glittered in the moonlight, catching each beam and sending it back with fractured elegance.

Molly fell into silence, finding the explanation acceptable.  Slowly the silence faded into a deep sleep.

XXXXX

When George came back into the room, it appeared that both women were sleeping.  Rachel had kicked off the covers and partially laid on them so instead of waking her up, he took Lacey's leather trench coat and settled it over the small woman.  His motions woke Ronnie.

"George," she murmured, wiping at sleepy eyes.

"Hey, how are ya?"

"Okay.  She fell asleep?"

"Looks that way," George nodded.  "You look like you could use a bed, too."

"Did the tracker work?"

"Yeah," the black man grinned.  "We have her pinpointed.  She'd on the North edge of the Springs, East of Monument."

"Just land out there.  Pretty secluded."

"That's what we figured from the maps," George nodded.  "We'll be leaving here in a couple of hours to get her."

"I hope it works."

"It will," George said softly.  "Lacey has a way of making most anything work.  Come on, let's find you a place to crash."  He gently guided his friend from the room, closing the door behind them.

Rachel rolled over after they'd gone, blinking emerald eyes into darkness.  She took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of her lover surrounding her in the form of the leather coat draped across her.  She hugged it to her and noticed a hard object.  Slowly, the blonde reached her hand into the pocket of the jacket, finding Lacey's cell phone.  While she was pulling the phone out to sit it on the nightstand, her hand brushed against something soft.  Setting the phone down, she reached back into the pocket.  Her fist closed around the object she'd felt, withdrawing a small velvet box.

Her heart pounded in her ears as she scooted to a sitting position and reached over to flip on the small lamp on the bedside table.  It cast a ring of light at the head of the bed.  Holding her breath, Rachel flipped the top of the box open, revealing a silver hued band with intricate etchings across its surface.  It was simple yet complex, much like her dark lover.  Though there were no stones in the design, the detail of the etchings, entwining and circling in on themselves, was astounding.  There was a folded paper crammed into the top of the box and Rachel extracted it, unfolding it with trembling fingers.

Raich,

I bought matching rings not long before Christmas, Molly helped me pick them out.  I wanted them to be a symbol of our love and commitment, our lives together, our future as yet untold.  I love you, Merry Christmas, and see you soon.

All my love,
Lace

Silently, Rachel slipped the platinum band onto her finger, enjoying the weight of it there.  She felt her lover near, felt their love bubbling warmly inside of her.  She tucked the box back into the pocket where she'd found it, turned the light off, and snuggled into the pillow where she cried tears of grief, loneliness, and love, the ring pressed solidly against her lips.

XXXXX

The door creaked open quietly and Lacey watched as the silhouette moved from the lit hallway into the darkened room.  The bedroom door stayed open, allowing the dark woman to see that the profile approaching was her brother.

Molly shifted slightly in her sleep, holding the tall body more tightly.

Lacey murmured reassurances and kissed the blonde head until the child settled again.

Jeremy took a seat in the chair by the bed.  "Lacey," he acknowledged softly.

"Jeremy," she responded.

He was quiet for a very long time before he indicated with his hand the sleeping child.  "You used to hold me like that, too."

"Yes," the dark-haired woman agreed.

"I missed you so much when you left."

Lacey snorted, tucked the blankets more firmly around her sleeping child.  "Yeah.  Great.  You missed me so much you killed my best friend and kidnapped my lover's child.  That's just charming, Jeremy."

"Lace-"

"And what about the car?  Trying to kill Rachel and Molly?  Hiring a killer and his cronies to follow her around?  You're so damn compassionate.  I don't give a fuck what you want."

"I was wrong."

"Damn right you were, you little bastard.  I raised you," Lacey was furious though the extent of it was muted here in the darkness.  Her words were whispered hoarsely in an effort not to disturb the small form sleeping against her.

"You did," he acknowledged softly.  "I thought that Mom was a victim.  I always did, even after you left.  So when she came to me-"

"What?!" Lacey snarled.  Molly mewled and shifted in her sleep so the dark woman settled back down.  "This is her doing?"

The man shrugged weakly, flashing grey eyes everywhere except on his sister.  "She said breaking you was the answer."

"The answer to what, Jeremy?"

"To breaking Vinnie."

"Oh, you're fucking brilliant, shit head," the dark woman growled, her voice low and rumbling.  "I left Vinnie a year ago.  I didn't even have contact with him again until you and your fucking stupidity forced me to consult him."

"She said-"

"Shut up, Jeremy.  You were always an idiot when it came to her.  You dealt her drugs and did her jail time.  She tells you to jump, you ask how high.  She tells you to ruin my life, you agree without question."

"I thought it was a ruse ... you not working for Vinnie anymore," the man said weakly, dropping his gaze to study his clasped hands.

"What the hell did she want with Vinnie anyway?  She's chump change compared to him."

Jeremy sighed, ran a large hand through his close cropped hair.  "I ... I was looking through the files tonight ... the information she'd given me to get to you.  And I realized that it had nothing to do with Vinnie after all.  She was trying to get back at you."

"Get back at me?  For what?  I never did a damn thing to the two of you.  I walked away and I never looked back."

"And you became successful and independent and self sufficient without her."

"In spite of her," Lacey corrected.  Molly moved again and Lacey resituated the child, kissing her forehead.

"She wants to destroy you, Lace.  She wants me to bring you to her so she can break you."

The dark woman snorted, shook her head.  "She's an amateur, Jeremy.  She couldn't break me with all the money in the world.  You wanna know why?"

Jeremy looked up for the first time in a long time, able to catch the glinting sapphire eyes of the sister he'd loved and lost so many long years ago.

"Because I understand now.  It took me most of my life to figure it out.  But life isn't about money and drugs and who has power and who doesn't.  It's not about working for the winning side and playing an advantage.  Life's about this," she hugged Molly.  "It's about having people who love you regardless of who you are and what you've done.  People who want to wake up next to you for the rest of your life.  I never knew that before.  Lord knows mom and dad didn't teach us that."

The man remained silent.

"That's why she won't break me.  I always have them.  I have them in my heart and my soul.  She can never touch that because she doesn't understand it."

"She tried to take them away from you."

"And I would have hunted her down and killed her.  You too, Jeremy.  Because I guarantee they mean more to me than either of you, do.  They never tried to make me something I wasn't."

Jeremy swallowed and nodded, knowing his older sibling spoke absolute truth.  Knowing, for the first time in his life, that he'd chosen the wrong team all those years ago.  "I don't know what to do, Lace," he whispered.

"You dig your own holes, Jeremy.  You killed my best friend, you tried to kill my lover and her child.  There's no haven for you with me."

He nodded, he'd known that.  But during the night, after seeing his sister's obvious tender devotion to the child, he'd begun to question his loyalties.  And he wished, more than anything, that he'd never been a part of this atrocity.  "You made your own decision fifteen years ago, Lace.  I think it's about time I made mine."

Lacey took a deep breath, tilting her head and observing her brother.  "Just tell me one thing, Jeremy.  How did she convince you to do this to me?"

He snorted, averted his gaze.  "She told me the horrible person you were.  She showed me evidence of your work for Vinnie and pictures of Molly.  Told me that you were hurting the little girl and abusing the woman."

"I would never-" she growled but was interrupted by Jeremy's raised hand.

"I suspected that when I met Molly yesterday.  She cried for you, wanting to be with you.  I never felt that way about our parents.  I know you didn't either.  And when I see her with you now ... I know our mother was lying."

"Why did you even think it was the truth, Jeremy," Lacey asked softly.  "You knew me ... you knew how I felt about what they did to us."

Jeremy laughed quietly, turned his head away from her.  "Because I became them.  I had a son and a wife.  I was too wrapped up in the business to pay attention to them.  I was drunk and high, she made me angry."

Lacey's glare was icy.  "You killed them?"

"She threatened to turn Mom and me in," he choked.  "Mom took care of it.  Four years ago.  She told me you were like that but hadn't had a reason to sober up like I had.  That you were going to kill the girl and her mother in a drunken rage and we needed to stop you and get to Vinnie."

"If that were true, why did she count on me trading myself for Molly?  If I didn't care about them, how would that part of the plan have worked?" Lacey asked reasonably.

After a long silence, he shrugged into the darkness.  "It sounded good at the time, I didn't really think it through.  I wanted it to be true.  I wanted you to be the same monster I was because it would give me an excuse.  It would have taken my fate out of my hands."

Lacey sighed, stroked Molly's soft hair.  "I was that monster.  Mom was right.  Until about a year ago when I met Rachel and Molly.  They're my salvation."

Jeremy was quiet for a very long time and Lacey thought they may be done talking.  Until the man cleared his throat.  "I think maybe they're my salvation as well," he murmured.  "I promise you'll be safe, Lacey."

The dark woman watched him silently.  She tilted her head in consideration, seeing the boy she loved in the man before her, wanting very much for him to be telling the truth and not trying to find more weak spots.  She sighed, decided to go for broke.  "You'd better bring me a phone, Jeremy, because they'll be coming in here with blazing guns before the night is over."

The man looked at his sister with slight startlement before breaking a grin and nodding.  "Shouldn't have expected any less, huh?"

She grinned without comment then slowly began the process of disentangling herself from Molly.  The girl moaned her protests so Lacey leaned over her and smoothed her hair back, humming a soft tune, until Molly settled again.  She considered taking the child with her, decided instead to let her sleep, guessing correctly she hadn't had good sleep in days.

Jeremy led the way out the door and down the hall.  He took her downstairs to the room where Lacey'd seen him earlier.  There were still files scattered about and Grazier sat quietly in the corner.

The hired henchman eyed her with concern until Jeremy spoke up.

"You're done, Peter," he said softly.

"I thought tomorrow?" the gruff voice responded.

"I can handle it from here.  Thank you for your services, you'll be paid in full."

Grazier stood and pursed his lips, watching his boss.  Then, with a shrug, glad for the finished job, he left the room.  "We'll be out in a few minutes," he tossed over his shoulder.

After the man's departure, Jeremy indicated a cordless phone sitting on the table atop the files.  Lacey hesitated.

"What?" Jeremy asked, sensing his sister's indecision.

"I can't just forgive you, Jeremy.  You tried to take my family from me."  Her heart hurt.  She wanted everything to be okay.  She wanted to go home and still have a relationship with her brother but she didn't know how.  Not after what he'd done.

"You've done worse," the man pointed out slowly.

She pursed her lips and turned away, looking into the darkness beyond the window.  That was true enough.  But this was Rachel and Molly he'd tried to hurt.  And he'd been behind Bernard's death.  How do you walk away from that?  She sighed, the weight of the world on her shoulders.  She'd killed many people, without heart, without regret.  She'd left women as widows, children without fathers, how could she judge the man before her?  Her only answer was because this was personal.  And with that brand of logic, there were a lot of people who hated her and probably wished her dead.  "Yeah," she murmured at last.  "I have."

He watched his sister's tense back with melancholy.  She was very much as he remembered her: strong, responsible, self-reliant.  She carried herself with an atmosphere of arrogant confidence yet shrouded herself with brooding self-hate for what she considered her short comings.  "Can I get you a drink, Lace?" he asked softly, letting the silence stretch between them as long as he dared.

"No thanks," she replied, rolling stiff shoulders.  She was about to turn back for the phone when she heard a blood curdling child's scream from upstairs.  Oh, fuck.  She turned and ran as fast as she could, taking the stairs three at a time, shoving Grazier out of the way on the landing.  She slid to a halt in front of the open bedroom door and glared at Lionel who stood just inside.

"What did you do?" she snarled.

He held up his hands in conciliation.  "Nothing.  She was screaming, I opened the door."

Lacey's blue glare softened as she turned her gaze to the sniveling child.  Molly was curled in a ball at the head of the bed, trembling, rocking back and forth.  "Baby," Lacey whispered, stepping forward.

Molly looked up at the sound of the dark woman's voice and propelled herself across the bed and into Lacey's arms.

"Lace," she whimpered.

"Right here, Molly-girl," Lacey soothed, rocking the girl in a tight embrace.

"Thought they took you away," she sobbed.  "Alone ... missed you," her words were expelled on panicked shallow breaths and Lacey knew where this would be going shortly.

"It's okay.  Calm down or you're gonna be sick, baby," the dark woman crooned.  "Shhh.  I've got you.  I went downstairs and I didn't want to wake you."

"Don't leave me again," Molly wailed.

"No, I promise.  It was silly of me.  I should have brought you with me.  I'm sorry," she rubbed the girl's back with strong strokes, her large hand nearly covering the width of Molly's thin back.  "Okay?  Forgive me?"

Molly nodded, her sniffling slowing.  "I was afraid it was a dream," she whispered.

"No dream.  I'm right here."

"Don't leave," Molly repeated.

"I won't," Lacey assured her.  "Come on.  I have a surprise for you."  Lacey carried the little girl out of the room and towards the stairs where Grazier glared at her.  She shrugged at him, not apologizing for her hasty flight minutes earlier.  Jeremy followed them back into the room with the files and phone.

The dark woman sat on the couch, child still in her grasp.  She waited several minutes for Molly to calm completely.  In that time, Grazier rounded up his team, spoke with Jeremy, and made their retreat.  Now Lacey and Molly were alone in the house with Jeremy.  It was a sign that he'd been honest with her earlier.

"We're gonna call your Mama," Lacey said softly, picking up the phone and dialing her cell phone number.  Molly shifted slightly so she could lean her head against the dark-haired woman's shoulder and watch the room at the same time.

XXXXX

George was fighting sleep, his chin resting in the palm of his hand, elbow on the arm of the chair.  He blinked into the darkness, the only light provided by silver streaks of moonlight that fell across the small blonde woman and the dog she hugged.

The silence was interrupted by a shrill ring and it took George several long seconds to figure out it was the cell phone on the nightstand.  He reached over and answered it, assuming it to be more demands from Lacey's asshole brother.

"Yeah," he said softly, trying not to disturb the woman on the bed just a foot away.

"Hey."

The voice startled him, recognizing it immediately as Lacey's husky undertones.  "What's going on?" he asked carefully.

"I think we've reached an agreement, George.  You don't need to send in the cavalry."

"Help me out here," George said slowly, not believing that Lacey was calling off the rescue attempt.

"You know where we are?"

"Yeah."

"Come get us.  Jeremy and I talked some stuff out.  He sent the goons home and Molly and I need a ride."

George shook his head, not sure he was hearing any of this correctly.  "Just like that?"

"Not exactly.  But I'm telling you the truth," Lacey paused.  "How is everyone?  Was anyone hurt in the gunfire?"

"Nah.  But I hope to hell you added insurance to your vehicle rental."

Lacey's smile was evident in her voice.  "Put Rachel on the phone."

"She's asleep," George replied.

The dark woman snorted.  "My ass, she's asleep.  I know her better than that."

Giving into his friend's demands, he leaned forward towards the bed, "Raich."
 
Rachel rolled over, her green eyes reflecting moonlight.  "I don't want to talk to those assholes," she murmured.  "Tell 'em to fuck themselves."

Lacey heard the other woman's words and she chuckled.

"It's Lacey," George explained, extending the phone.

Rachel sat up slowly, taking the offered phone and looking quite bewildered.  "Yeah," she choked, then tried again.  "Yeah?"

"Hey, baby," the dark voice purred.

Not believing her ears, a sob caught in Rachel's throat.  "Where are you?  Are you okay?  Oh God, Lace-"

"Shhh," the husky voice on the other end of the line interrupted.  "I'm okay.  Molly's okay.  You need to roust those guys to come get us because we're ready to come home."

"What about Jeremy?"

"We talked.  I think he's willing to let us walk away."

"Didja knock any heads together?" Rachel asked gently, some of her good humor returning just at hearing the familiar voice of her lover.

"No.  But I'm not done yet," Lacey chuckled softly.  "Hold on a sec."  There was silence and then some murmuring.

"Mama?"

"Oh Molly," Rachel whispered, wiping at her wet cheeks.  Karma stood and stretched beside her then leaned forward to lick at salty tears.  Rachel pushed her away gently.  "I miss you."

"I miss you, too, Mama," the child's voice responded.  "I think I've had enough of Colorado."

Rachel laughed. "You and me both, kiddo.   Are you and Lacey okay?"

"We're fine, Mama.  Lacey protected me."

"She's good at that," Rachel agreed.  "I think we're going to come get you pretty soon."

George had left the room and come back with Rico and Ronnie in tow.  He flipped the lights on when he entered the room and Rachel and Karma both squinted at him.  He mouthed a silent apology.

"Lacey wants to talk to you again," Molly said.  "I love you, Mama."

"Love you too, baby," Rachel whispered, gratefully accepting some tissues from Ronnie.

"How are ya?" Lacey's voice was gentle with concern.

"M'okay," Rachel responded, not able to hide the crack in her voice.

"It's almost over, Raich.  We're all okay.  And we're gonna walk out of this together."

"I don't know how to thank you," the blonde murmured, words failing to express the gratitude she felt.

"Don't be silly, love," Lacey replied.  "You don't need to thank me.  Now give those guys a kick in the ass and get out here.  Because I need to hug you so badly."

Rachel laughed at her lover's growled tone.  "I need it, too.  Here's George.  I love you, Lace."

"I love you, baby.  See you soon."

Rachel stood and handed the phone back for them to work out the logistics and was immediately pulled into a warm hug by Ronnie.  She cried softly on the other woman's shoulder for several long moments before pushing away.  "I'm sorry," she wiped at her cheeks, casting her eyes to the carpeted floor.

"Don't be sorry," Ronnie chided gently.  "Get ready to go.  We're probably over an hour from where they are."

Rachel nodded and headed towards the restroom to clean up.

XXXXX

It truly did appear to be darkest before the dawn.  Rachel looked silently through the sedan window into the darkness beyond.  Out here, on Highway 83, the only lights were from very occasional oncoming traffic.  There were no street lights and the clouds had obscured the moon shortly before the small entourage had headed out.

Now Ronnie and Rachel sat together in the back seat of the Ronnie's car.  The van would have only drawn attention with its bullet riddled side panel.  Tucked behind the larger vehicle, the little sedan hadn't been harmed in the gunfire.

George drove, Rico sat beside him.  It was a tense atmosphere, all worried about what might meet them at the end of their journey.  Though Lacey had sounded positive, they couldn't help think they may be walking into a lion's den.

Jeremy had even gotten on the phone and delivered succinct directions, allowing the group to get there more quickly than they would have using maps and the transmitter.  They'd brought all of the hardware along, just in case.

They'd passed the scene of the earlier exchange nearly a half hour before.  There were a couple cop cars and some floodlights highlighting the uniformed officers who walked around marking the scene and collecting shells.  They'd stopped the sedan and asked some questions but George's story about leaving a friend's house late after a long Christmas day held and the patrolman waved them on.

"I think it's up here," Rico said in a hushed voice, interrupting the silence.  He leaned forward and squinted at the road sign as George slowed down.  "Yeah.  Hodgen.  This is it."

George took the left turn and started down yet another endless road lined by darkness and pine trees.  They'd been in the vehicle for close to an hour and a half.  Rachel fidgeted.

"We're almost there," Ronnie offered, smiling at the woman and patting her arm gently.

Rachel smiled nervously and wiped her sweaty palms on her jeans.

They turned a short while later, heading South on Bar X Road further into the trees.  George drove at a snail's pace, not wanting to miss the driveway in the poor lighting.

"Here we go, Raich," the black man called over his shoulder.  "Stay in the car until we figure out the situation."

Though it would be difficult, Rachel knew he was right and nodded her agreement.  "I will."

He drove up the gravel driveway to a larger parking area in front of the house.  He put the sedan in park but left it running.  George leaned over the seat, patting Rachel's knee, smiling at Ronnie, then he and Rico checked their weapons and slipped out of the vehicle.

Lacey had been sitting by a front window, Molly snoozing again in her embrace.  She heard the car and stood up.  "Wake up, sleepy," she whispered into the child's hair.  "Mama's here."

Molly struggled to full wakefulness, blinking bright blue eyes open and grinning slightly.

Lacey moved to the door slowly, carrying Molly with her.  She eyed Jeremy who stood across the room, leaning against the ecru painted wall, arms crossed in front of him.  Naturally suspicious, the dark woman couldn't help but wait for the other shoe to drop.  This was too simple.  And then what?  Would they come after her again?  Would she spend the rest of their lives looking over her shoulder?  She took a deep breath, unsure of what to do.  Two years ago she would have shot them all and called it over with.

Lacey opened the door as George came up to it, letting the man come inside.  Across the dark front yard she saw Rachel's blonde head in the car and Rico standing next to the running vehicle.  George stepped in and grinned widely at Molly who was absolutely beaming.

"George," the child murmured sleepily, leaning from Lacey into the man's arms.  He handed his drawn weapon to Lacey and took the child, hugging her fiercely.

"The Molly-meister," he crooned.  "It's good to see you!  You've gotten so big."

Lacey checked the automatic pistol quickly and efficiently, then set it on the small stand just inside the door, slipping the safety on.  She patted George's back.  "It's good to see you, too.  How's Raich?"

"She's good.  Worried, scared ... but okay."

"Can I see my Mama?" Molly whispered, struggling out of George's arms to slide to her feet and stand at his side.  Lacey looked from the girl, to George, to her brother still standing across the room.

Jeremy nodded slightly so Lacey took advantage of it, determined to at least get the little girl out of the house.  She still wanted to talk to her brother about the future.  The dark woman opened the glass storm door, not stepping out herself but leaning down and hugging Molly to her with one strong arm.

"Your Mama's in the car.  Go on to Rico and he'll help you out."

"Come with me?" she asked plaintively.

Lacey shook her head slightly.  "Not yet, baby.  Go on, now."  With a kiss and a gentle shove, she sent the little girl on her way.

Molly turned once to look over her shoulder before trotting ahead to Rico who swooped her up and hugged her close, his own weapon still drawn.  Guns and kids, Lacey grimaced, how she hated to see the two together.

She watched a moment longer, until Rico opened the car door and handed Molly over to her mother.  Then Lacey closed the door and turned back to the group inside.

XXXXX

Rachel practically crawled over Ronnie to reach her child.  For her part, the other woman pressed herself against the back of the seat and helped the small girl climb to her mother.  Then Ronnie scooted over, giving the two most of the backseat of the sedan for their long awaited reunion.

Both were sobbing and clutching at each other, the child glued to her mother, Rachel's face buried in Molly's soft hair.

"Mama," the girl murmured between tears.  It was a statement of confirmation more than anything else.

"I've got you, baby.  We're gonna go home," her mother assured, rocking the child, smoothing her back with affectionate hands.  "I love you, sweetie.  I missed you so much."

"Missed you," Molly nodded her agreement.

Rachel pushed the little girl away so that she could look at her face and wipe at wet cheeks.  "You okay?"

She nodded, leaning back to her mother for more hugging.  Unable to deny the request, Rachel pulled her close again: hugging, rocking, whispering her words of love even as she tried to staunch her own tears of relief.

XXXXX

The group in the house stood watching each other civilly, the gentle overhead lighting of the room affording them a comfortable view of each other.

"Okay, Jeremy," Lacey said at last, reaching up to extend long fingers through her braid and scratch at her scalp.  "This has been your damn game from the start.  Where do we go from here?"  Blunt was good.  She liked blunt.

Jeremy looked from his sister to the tall black man at her side.  He sighed.  "It's just us.  Grazier and his crew are gone.  You can walk for all I care."

"What about her?" she couldn't bring herself to claim her as mom.  "She'll send more goons after us.  I'm not going to run from her the rest of our lives."

He snorted, pushed himself away from the wall.  He was as tall as Lacey and had the same lean muscle body type.  But his grey eyes held none of the humor and very little good will.  "Just kill her.  Right?"

Lacey bristled angrily since those thoughts had flitted through her mind only minutes before.  "Any ideas, Jeremy?  You got us into this mess."

"I'm also letting you live.  What else do you think I owe you."

"A lot," Lacey snarled.  Jeremy seemed more on edge than before, less certain of his decision and his mannerisms lacked that earlier conviction.  Lacey felt herself stand taller, shift her weight to the balls of her feet.  She was ready for anything.  Anything except the one thing that happened.

Rachel walked into the house.

"Get in the car," Lacey growled, not wasting time on pleasantries, barely glancing at her partner.

"Not without you," the blonde woman said softly, stepping forward to slide her arms around her lover.  "God, it's good to see you.  How are you?  You look okay.  Molly said you saved her..." she let her babbling trail off when she finally became conscious of the tension in the room.  Something wasn't going right.

Rachel turned her attention to the man standing opposite them and offered him a heartfelt grin, forgetting for the moment that this was the man behind her daughter's abduction.  Rather she was just grateful to him for turning them loose.  "You must be Jeremy," she stated with a tilt of her head.

He nodded solemnly.  Rachel saw some of her lover in him.  Then Jeremy stepped forward and held out his right hand to her for a shake.

Without hesitation, Rachel stepped forward to accept.

Lacey felt tingles all up and down her spine, knowing this was wrong, all of it.  She reached a hand out and wrapped strong fingers around her lover's bicep but the smaller woman was already a full stride ahead of her, already grasping Jeremy's hand in a firm shake.  The click of a gun cocking echoed through the room and Rachel's whole body jerked as the barrel was pressed into her forehead with Jeremy's left hand.

Silence.

They all watched each other, Rachel trembling but otherwise standing very still.  George had reclaimed the gun by the door and placed it into Lacey's grip, the dark woman's left hand was still grasping her partner's arm.

Jeremy stood stock-still, grey eyes cold and emotionless.  Lacey knew that look well, had used it herself many times.

"Let her go.  I'll fucking kill you and you know it."

"You can't do it before I kill her.  And it's more important for you to see her alive than see me dead."

Lacey growled, deep and primal, the sound more felt than heard.  This could have gone a lot better.  Oh, Raich.  Why did you come in here?

"What do you want?" the dark woman managed to grit out between clenched teeth.

"I'm thinking I'm in a no win situation.  I let you walk, I die.  Mom gave me a job, I couldn't pull it off."

"What happened to your word?  What happened to keeping us safe?"

"Sometimes you have to look after yourself, Lace.  Isn't that why you left so long ago?  You finally had to look out for yourself."  He was so calm and collected.  Lacey didn't see any of the compassion she'd seen earlier.  She cursed herself for letting the situation get this far out of hand.

"I'll go with you to see her, Jer.  Let them go.  All of them.  They can drive away and you and I will go see her."

He seemed to consider this for just a moment before he tugged hard on Rachel's arm, nearly pulling her off her feet.  The blonde woman stood stretched between the two like some ludicrous dog tug toy.  She would have resented the treatment if she weren't scared to death.

Jeremy moved the gun slightly to jam it into the young blonde's cheek.  "Let her go, Lace, or I'll kill her.  I'm dead either way."

George watched the battle of wills before him, cursing Rico out for letting Rachel get in the house, knowing he wasn't in a position to do a damn thing.

Finally, slowly, the dark woman uncurled her fingers.  She was unsure.  If it were anyone but Rachel she would have called the bluff but she wouldn't risk her young lover for stupid machismo.  Rachel was ripped from her grasp and spun so her back was solidly against the lanky man's chest.  His arm was across her neck, the barrel at her temple.

Not an improvement, Lacey surmised.

"Now what?" she snapped.  "You're calling the shots, you bastard."

"That's not very lady like."

Lacey grinned, forming an idea.  She changed her tactics.  "I never was, Jer," she said softly.  "Remember how hard mom used to try to get me to wear dresses?  Curl my hair?"

His grip seemed to lessen.  He smiled slightly.  "Yeah.  And you had me sneak into the house for jeans and a T-shirt so you could change on the way to school."

She nodded, lowered her weapon, realizing it was only adding to the tension.  "You always did for me, Jeremy.  You always helped me."

"You held me at night when I cried myself to sleep," the man murmured.

Lacey nodded again, meeting her lover's mist green eyes.  Hang in there, baby, it'll all work out.  "You used to distract mom so I could sneak out at night to go to the movies."

He seemed torn, teetering between a long lost loyalty and one ingrained in him for many years.  He loved his sister dearly, always had.  But it was his mother who had formed him, taught him, made him what he was.  He was a drunk murderer.  A man who would kidnap his sister's family, threaten to kill them, to please a wicked old hag who never had a heart to start with.  How would he face his mother?  What would he do?

The pieces seemed to click into place for him and the peace that filled his gaze was obvious to both George and Lacey though neither could interpret it.  His gun hand had been wavering a moment before but now the grip became sure again as he raised the weapon.

"No, Jeremy," Lacey whispered, all the previous bravado and harsh words melting away.  "Give me this.  Give me her.  Everything we did, all we shared ... all I want is Rachel and Molly to go away from here.  Is that too much to ask?"

"I don't think so," the young man agreed softly, continuing to raise the weapon.  It took a brief second for Lacey to realize what he was doing but even that bare moment in time was too much.  It was already too late.  She tried to lunge across the room, close the distance between them even as she heard the report and watched emerald eyes go wide with fear and shock.

Jeremy's grip on Rachel brought her down with him as he fell to the floor, lifeless and broken.  Lacey arrived a moment later, pulling her lover up into her arms.

The blonde was frantic: trembling and whimpering.  Her hair and back were splattered with Jeremy's brains and skull fragments.  Lacey embraced the small form tightly, rocking the slight frame, closing her own eyes to the scene at her feet.

"Shhh, it was him, baby.  You're safe.  It's okay.  It's okay."  Unable to keep her eyes averted, Lacey blinked them open and watched her brother's dark blood pool on the beige carpet.  Hard to believe twenty-five years of being a big sister would end like this.  She knew she was crying, couldn't help it.  So was the woman she held.

Lacey felt hands on her, knew that George was tugging her gently away from the room.  In the back of her mind she heard Rico's familiar voice muttering something.  Then they were out of the room, in the bathroom, falling to the floor to wrap each other more firmly in desperate, clutching arms.  George closed the door and left them to their privacy.

Silent sobs became racking chokes as they held each other dearly.  The choking became hiccups and then, finally, murmured words of love and affection and lifelong commitment.  Until the two women were peering into each other's eyes, emerald and sapphire awash with tears.

"I missed you so much," Rachel murmured.

Lacey chuckled, kissed the fair woman's wet cheeks.  "It was only one night."

"One night too many.  I thought I'd never see you again."

"I'm right here," the dark woman assured.  "Always with you."

Rachel's face scrunched with immense sadness.  "He killed himself," she said simply.

"Yeah, baby," Lacey agreed, trying to smooth the lines of grief with her thumbs.  She didn't want to dwell on that now.  She knew it would hit her hard soon, that the previous moments of tears and embracing were merely the tip of the iceberg.

"I feel him ... on me."

Lacey nodded.  She'd wondered how long it would take her weak stomached partner to reach that conclusion.  "Let me clean you up."

Moments later, Rachel was bent over the sink with her blonde locks darkening under running water.  Her lover's strong gentle fingers worked lather through the tresses, her touch confirming and comforting at the same time.

The dark woman tried hard not to notice the pinkish colored suds and the tainted water that swirled in the sink.  She tried not to think about how she was washing away the remnants of her very own brother.  He'd been such an affectionate, gregarious kid but always frightened and needing support and guidance.  He'd tried so hard to please his mother and his big sister.  He'd failed them both in the end and taken his own life instead of facing that shame.

There was a knock on the door.

"Yeah?" Lacey called hoarsely, rinsing out the last of the suds, searching in vain for some kind of conditioner in the mirrored cabinets.

"I called Vinnie.  He's sending someone.  We need to get out of here."

"I'm gonna owe that man my damned first born," Lacey grumbled.  Then, more loudly, she called "Thanks, George.  Can you find a T-shirt or sweatshirt or something?"  She'd tossed aside Rachel's blood stained shirt and bra.  There were some slight splattering stains on the woman's jeans but it would have to do for now.

"Be back," George agreed.

Lacey pulled her lover to a standing position and grabbed a towel from the rack to rub through the woman's hair.  "Gonna tangle," she said apologetically.  Rachel nodded from within her terry cloth shroud.

"I love you," the blonde murmured impulsively.

Lacey smiled sadly, hugged the half naked body to her.  With the towel still over her head, Rachel leaned her cheek against her lover's broad shoulder.

"Hey," Lacey said into the silence.  "That ring looks pretty good on your finger."

Rachel laughed despite herself.  "You are so damn romantic, crony."

"C'mon now, I wrote you a nice little note," Lacey whispered, pretending to be hurt.

"I'll keep the note always," Rachel swore, her voice muffled by the terry cloth but her seriousness quite clear.

"And the ring?"

MmHmm."

"And me?"

"MmHmm."

"You're not much for romance, either, babe," Lacey pointed out dryly.

Rachel leaned back, reaching up her hands to tug the towel away.  Her hair was wet and wild, falling at all angles around her gently planed face.  Her jade eyes were earnest and affectionate.  Lacey thought she'd never looked more beautiful.

"I love you more and more each day, baby.  I love to wake up beside you, fall asleep in your arms, look in your eyes and see the kind of devotion and love I never deserved.  The only thing that makes me happier than remembering all of those moments in the past is looking forward to every one yet to come.  There's nothing I want more in this life than to share it with you."

Lacey's chin sagged in astonishment, her blue eyes watered with emotion.  For several heartbeats she just watched her young lover, studying the earnest eyes puffy from weeping.  Finally, quietly, a grin tugged at the edge of her mouth and she simply said, "Ditto."

Rachel laughed out loud.  It was the first time she had done that in nearly a week.  She laughed so hard she cried, clutching to the tall woman before her, muffling the sounds of her mirth in Lacey's turtleneck.  "Oh God," she said at last.  "I love you so much."

The dying laughter was interrupted by a knock at the door.  Lacey tucked the blonde's half clad body behind her and opened the door to accept the sweatshirt George offered.  The dark man turned caramel colored eyes, deep with concern, to his friends.

"Thank you," Lacey said softly.  "We're okay.  We'll be out in a minute."

When George had left, Lacey turned to tug the shirt over her lover's wet head.  She settled the collar and sleeves with firm, affectionate hands and then tugged out the golden wet tresses.  "Turn around," she murmured.  With gentle fingers, she combed through Rachel's tangled hair and fashioned it into a loose braid, taking the band from her own hair to tie it off.

"Now, let's go get Molly-girl and get the hell out of here."

XXXXX

It was far from a comfortable ride.  George glanced in the rearview mirror, smiling warmly at what he saw there: Rachel and Lacey were pressed solidly against each other, the small girl sprawled across their laps.  Ronnie sat against the other window, idly scratching at the denim over her knee.

The first twenty minutes of the ride had been punctuated with whispers and whimpers, gentle touches and silent kisses.  When Molly had fallen asleep, tucked securely against both women, Rachel and Lacey relaxed as well, entwining fingers together.

Now, they listened to the gentle strains on the radio and watched the sun rise across the plains.  The bright rays shot across the road in front of them to bounce of the mountains on the west.  The snow fractured the light apart, sparkling in brilliant pinks, oranges and reds as dawn become day, ending the longest night of all their lives.

XXXXX

It was nearly dusk when Lacey blinked weary blue eyes open and flashed them around the bedroom of the condo.  Light was trickling onto the hardwood floor, dancing with the dust particles that floated around the room, resting on the end of the bed.  Karma twitched her ear, the hair glistening in the sunlight.  She yawned and stretched, opened one eye to look at Lacey, then settled more deeply onto the covers.

Lacey poked her affectionately with her toe and Karma let out a gentle moan of protest so Lacey did it again with the same response.

"Stop torturing that dog," Rachel murmured, scooting herself closer to the lanky body of her lover.  She blinked her eyes open briefly, only to confirm her daughter was still soundly tucked against Lacey's other side.  The blonde woman grinned weakly, turned her head to kiss Lacey's shoulder.

"But it's fun," Lacey whispered with a grin, snickering slightly and doing it again.  Still absolutely unmovable, Karma groaned, flicking velvety soft ears.

"Stop," Rachel moaned, sounding almost like her protesting dog and rubbing the taut abdomen under her hand.

"What are you gonna do about it?" Lacey teased gently.  She was completely and absolutely relaxed, lying here in the fading sunlight with her lover on one side, their child on the other, and their dog snoozing at their feet.  She would worry about her mother tomorrow.  Tonight she would embrace the emotions tangible in this room.

"Ask me again later.  When we're alone," Rachel growled playfully.  The body she was wrapped around jiggled with a dry chuckle.

"Promises, promises," Lacey grinned, kissing her lover's temple.

"I'll keep 'em." Rachel leered, sliding up to kiss the dark woman's lips.

"I know you will, baby," Lacey replied warmly.  She tilted her head to the other side to look at Molly's face.

The child's face was tense, not slack in sleep as it should have been.  Her eyes twitched under pale lids.

"Nightmares?" Lacey asked softly.

Rachel reached a hand over to smooth her daughter's hair back.  She rubbed her thumb along the creases in the child's forehead.  "Maybe," she murmured at last.

"I think when we get back to New York we should find a doctor for her.  Someone she could talk to."

Rachel flicked green eyes from her daughter to her partner.  "A therapist?"

Lacey thought for a long moment, unsure if she was overstepping boundaries.  As much as Rachel talked about their joint efforts in raising this little girl, the dark woman couldn't help but wonder how true that was.  She suspected some day she would push the boundaries and be accused of meddling.  The honest green gaze assured her differently.  "I think so, baby.  With us ... or by herself.  Whichever the doctor thinks is better.  Jeremy didn't hurt her physically, but to be kept away from us, chained by herself in a room for days ... I think it's a good idea."

"I do, too, Lace.  Thank you," Rachel whispered.  She was rewarded with a heartfelt smile that startled her with its intensity.

Molly started to murmur then, her small hand clutching and releasing its grip on Lacey's shirt.  The dark woman raised a hand to cradle the child's head.  "Easy, Molly-girl," she muttered.  The whimpering intensified.  "Wake up, honey."

Rachel reached across her lover to grip the child's shoulder.  She shook it gently until blue eyes popped open.  Both women watched the fear flash across the child's irises before recognition settled in.  Then Molly's eyes filled with tears and she scrambled on top of Lacey's body, throwing one arm over her mother and wrapping the other behind Lacey's neck.  She buried her head next to Rachel's, her body shaking with sobs.

"Don't leave me, don't leave me," the child chanted over and over again.  This same scene or one very much like it had been enacted several times throughout the day.

"Never," Rachel assured, kissing Molly's forehead, rubbing her back firmly.

"We love you," Lacey whispered, combing through the child's blonde hair with long fingers.

"MmHmm," Molly murmured, knowing this to be true, warmed by the presence of both of her mothers.

They remained silent for awhile longer, waiting for Molly to calm down, for her grasp to relax.

"You hungry, baby?  I sure am," Rachel asked at last.

"Yes," Lacey and Molly said at the same time and Molly giggled.

"Let's go out to eat," Lacey suggested, starting to disentangle herself from woman, child, and sheets.  "You can give Rico more Zelda pointers."

XXXXX

New Years Eve the group stepped off the plane at La Guardia, met by vaguely familiar faces.  Vinnie's henchmen.  Lacey grimaced and cast a look to Rico, seeing the recognition flash across his features as well.

Lacey greeted the men with a silent nod, squeezing Rachel's hand when the smaller woman glanced at her with a questioning glance.  The henchmen fell into step behind them as they made their way through the throng of holiday travelers towards baggage claim.  Rico dropped back to walk beside Mary.  They'd said goodbye to George in Denver.

Once they had their luggage and Karma, Lacey ushered them all to the doors where they could wait for the parking shuttle.

"We have a car," henchman number one said softly.  "One to take them home, one for you to go see Vinnie."

"I don't want to see Vinnie right now," Lacey said softly.  "I want to go home with my family."

"It's urgent," he supplied.  Silence fell hard and cold across the group.  The same henchman sighed, took a deep breath, and pulled out his trump card.  "It's about your mother."

Ice blue eyes flashed to him with anger but she had to admit her curiosity was piqued.  She looked to her lover.

Rachel nodded silently, knowing this was something Lacey needed to do.  She wouldn't hold her back.

"You sure?" the dark woman murmured, bending her head lower to speak into Rachel's delicate ear.

"Yeah," the blonde nodded, placing a gentle hand on Lacey's stomach.  "We'll go on home and get settled.  Come as soon as you can."

"Okay," she kissed her soundly in the middle of the bustling crowd, unconcerned about the looks flashed their direction.  "I love you."  Then she knelt down to hug Molly close.  "Love you, too, Molly-girl.  Take care of your Mama.  I'll be home in time to tuck you in."

Molly nodded bravely but it was obvious to both women that she was on the verge of breaking.  She couldn't bear to be separated from either of them.

"Go on," Lacey urged, giving them a gentle push to follow henchman number two.  She blew them both kisses and watched them settle into the waiting limousine with Rico and Mary.

XXXXX

Rachel paced the upstairs hallway, Karma hot on her heels.  Molly had fallen asleep in the master bedroom while they watched the Times Square countdown.  She was too exhausted to wait for Lacey's promise.  The young blonde, however, was having a hard time calming her nerves enough to relax.  Where was Lacey?  Why was she so late?

As if in answer to her question, the door from the garage to the kitchen slammed hard and Rachel heard the mute beeping of Lacey disarming and resetting the alarm.  She flew down the spiral staircase and into the kitchen, sliding across the tiled floor on stocking feet and wrapping her lover in a warm embrace.

"Hey, hey," Lacey murmured, returning the hug.  The previous feelings of anger and frustration slowly dissipated while captured in these familiar arms.  "It's okay."

Rachel merely nodded.  She could feel the tension in the taller woman's body and toyed with the idea of questioning her lover.  She was still considering this approach when Lacey actually offered information herself.

"Let's put some coffee on and chat?  Okay?" she suggested, pulling away from Rachel.  "How's Molly?"

"She's asleep in our bed."

"Our sex life is gonna suffer," Lacey joked weakly.  Rachel smiled.

"C'mon, crony.  Coffee sounds great."

They sat in the winterized screened in porch.  It seemed a familiar place for these heart to hearts.  It was calm and quiet and they watched the stars flicker in the clear night sky while they sat in darkness.

"So he told me that he ... took care of my problem," Lacey muttered after giving a brief overview of her car ride to Vinnie's.

"Do I wanna know what that means?" Rachel asked hesitantly.

The dark woman took a deep breath, reaching across the glass patio table to clutch Rachel's small hand.  "He killed her and most of the idiots working for her.  She was running a small drug ring out of South Jersey and he tracked her down ..."

Rachel was shocked into silence for a very long time.  "Why?"

"Because he knew I was in a corner.  He knew I wouldn't be able to take care of it myself."  She sighed, looking to her lover, seeing pale moonlight reflect off her gentle face.  "Vinnie has a soft spot for me, I guess."

"So he kills your mother?!" Rachel barked, astounded.

"Oh, Raich," Lacey groaned.  "It's so complicated.  He was right.  I would have done the same thing to protect you and Molly.  But I can't anymore.  That ruthless part of me is gone."

Rachel was silent for several heartbeats, trying not to judge her lover or the woman's previous life.  She'd promised herself she'd never do that.  "What did you say to him?" she asked at last.

"I screamed at him.  Yelled, ranted, raved.  Told him to go to hell, I didn't need his fucking charity."

"What did he say?"

Lacey snorted, rubbed her face with her free hand.  "He just sat there and took my bullshit then he asked me if I was ready to go home."

"That was hours ago."

"I wasn't.  We talked for a long time.  Vinnie ... he's an interesting man, Raich.  Family is important in the business but it usually only goes as far as loyalty.  When I turned my back, he should have, too.  But ... we've spent a lot of time together, we know each other well.  I watched his children grow up and had worked for his father.  He wanted to give me the way out I needed.  He saved us all."

"He killed your mother," Rachel said, exasperated.

The dark woman shrugged.  "Wasn't my mother.  Just some lady I never knew."

Rachel sighed, relaxed back into her chair.  "When you're ready to talk about it, Lace, I'm here."

"I know," the ex-mafia woman nodded.  She squeezed Rachel's hand again, twisting the ring she found there with nimble fingers.

"So we're safe?" Rachel said after a long time.

"For now," Lacey confirmed.  She felt none of the passionate anger she'd felt before.  In its place rested quiet acceptance and resigned confidence.  "Let's go to bed."  The dark woman stood, pulling her lover up beside her.  She grinned gently, looking into emerald eyes and pulling her lover close.  She bent and captured willing lips, hungrily tasting and searching.

Rachel snaked her hands up and around Lacey's neck, tangling fingers in dark hair, pulling them closer.  She kissed her lover deeply, plunging her tongue into the familiar depths.  She felt her knees turn to jelly and collapsed against her tall partner.

Lacey nipped the small woman's lower lip then laved it with her tongue.  "C'mon, baby."

"You tease," Rachel laughed softly, tugging the dark woman's hand and leading the way upstairs.

XXXXX

July was hot and unbearably humid in the best of places and  New York wasn't one of the better places to be during the month of independence.  Lacey groaned, adjusted her tank top and wiped her brow with a sweat slicked forearm.  Leaning against the rail, her eyes never left the youngster in the arena.

The place was packed, horses and riders everywhere.  The dark woman figured it a miracle that no one had been hurt yet but it was all the more reason to keep her eyes glued to the young blonde rider.

"How's she doing?" a familiar voice asked behind her.  Lacey glanced over her shoulder to smile at Mary.

"She looks good.  Jester's behaving."

"Good to hear," the smaller woman leaned against the rail as well, glanced to her left and right to see all the other nervous parents doing the same.  "How are the nightmares?" she asked at last.

Lacey shrugged.  It had been seven months and though the episodes had lessened, they were still there.  She twirled her ring nervously, a habit she'd picked up since first putting the jewelry on Christmas day.  Just two nights ago Molly's screaming had forced a sleepy Lacey to stumble through the upstairs hall to fall into the child's bed and comfort her there.

Somehow the pattern had settled easily.  Rachel slept like a damn log and though she did hear her child and went willingly to comfort her, it was Lacey who best provided the midnight conversations and gentle reassurances.  As a result, she was the one who got up with Molly.  She held her while she cried, kissed her and comforted her.  It was Lacey who either slept in Molly's bed or carried the child to the master bedroom to sleep.  It was a natural routine which she could never begrudge and on some level even treasured.  The trust her lover exhibited in handing her that duty was greatly cherished.

Unsurprisingly, Molly's nightmares had lessened drastically once social services backed off.  For the first part of the year it had seemed there were endless visits and interviews, stressing the small family nearly to shattering.  Then, finally, with the help of Molly's therapist and trustworthy Aunt Helen, the judgment had resulted favorably.  Molly was found to be in a loving home and a safe environment and social services stopped knocking on their door.

From across the arena, Molly waved, a big white grin presented beneath the bill of her hard hat.  Lacey and Mary both waved back.

Rico announced his arrival with an arm around Mary's shoulder.  A young red headed girl stood at his hip and held up two sodas.  Lacey took one with a grin and a gentle ruffle of the little girl's hair.

"Thanks, Lauren," she smiled fondly.  The youngster had become somewhat of a fixture in their lives since Christmas.  She and Molly were best of friends and absolutely inseparable.  It was only right that she be here at Molly's first show.

"Rachel's class is going in," Rico announced.  "Go ahead, I'll stay with Molly."

Lacey grinned her thanks, eager to watch her young lover and Sunny.

"Can I come with you?" Lauren asked quietly.

"Of course, kiddo.  Come on," Lacey took the child's hand with her free one and together they left the practice ring to walk across the fairgrounds to the main arena.  She easily spotted her lover atop the lanky bay colt.

Sunny was quiet and accepting, big round eyes taking in all that was around him.  Being a schooling show, Rachel'd had a hell of a time convincing the stewards to admit a stallion.  She'd had to get waivers and approvals and had even brought him early this morning so the stewards and judges could see the horse's attitude.  Satisfied with the good manners the stallion possessed, they permitted him entry.

It was a hunter over fences class.  Rachel'd thought she was probably pushing the horse too much but he'd excelled in all of his training and had shown great skill over low fences.  She knew he would perform well over the higher jumps as well but, at four, he was too young for the physical stress that involved.

The blonde beamed from ear to ear when she saw her lover and the little red head approach.  Lacey was dressed comfortably in a white tank top and denim shorts.  Her dark hair was pulled back into a long ponytail and her ice blue eyes were shaded with sunglasses.  She also wore low top hiking boots to protect her feet from stomping hooves.  All in all, to the blonde's discerning gaze she was absolutely gorgeous.  Rachel leaned over Sunny's shoulder to kiss her partner.

"Hey, gorgeous," the dark woman purred, releasing Lauren's hand to rest a warm palm on her lover's thigh.  "How do you feel?"

"Good," Rachel nodded.  "Can you check his boots?"

Lacey nodded, she'd been well trained to be a show mom.  It was all Molly had talked about the entire spring.  They'd missed the first three schooling shows for various reasons so everyone had been more than eager to come to this one.  Lacey bent over and slid her fingers between Sunny's cannon bone and splint boots.  She checked the tightness and security of the velcro straps of each one before straightening and nodding.  Being a schooling show, aids and protective gear were allowed, Lacey had learned this from Molly just last night.

"How's your number?" Lacey asked.

Rachel turned in the saddle so her lover could inspect the pinning job of the paper number.  The dark woman nodded her approval, resting her hand again on the lycra of Rachel's breeches.  She offered up the soda from which Rachel took a long drink gratefully.

"How's Molly doing?"

"She looks great," Lacey assured.  "Jester's doing well."  It had been bad luck that their classes were too close for Rachel to participate much in Molly's preparation.  She'd decided not to enter until Molly and Lacey had worked her over, encouraging her and assuring her they could handle Jester quite well.

"Thirty in the ring, five on deck, twenty-seven in the hole," the loudspeaker blasted.  Lacey walked towards the deck with Rachel and Sunny.  Lauren followed them, sipping from her soda.

When Rachel went on deck just a few minutes later, Lacey gave her the best smile she could manage and kissed the blonde's gloved hand, feeling the solid metal of the commitment ring.  She could tell her lover was nervous.  Secretly, so was she.

Lauren and Lacey found themselves spots near the gate and watched silently from ring side as the tall bay colt cantered perfectly into the ring.  He stopped squarely and stood calmly while Rachel nodded to the judges.  Then she gathered her reins and turned Sunny towards the rail, nudging him into an easy canter, loosening his joints.  She took him the long way around to the starting jump, giving him the extra time to eye most of the jumps on the way by.  He seemed absolutely unperturbed.

Lacey watched with some trepidation when horse and rider hit the first fence.  It wasn't as neat as it could have been.  Lacey'd learned what to look for after hours of watching them practice.  Rachel was slightly behind the jump, the colt's legs were slightly loose beneath the knee, but he landed well and both gathered themselves for the next jump which was executed perfectly.  There were eight fences in all, none were complicated since this was a simple class, and their confidence grew with each until they cleared the last, completing the course without faults.  Rachel gently pulled her mount back to a walk then a halt in the center.  She nodded to the judges and then turned searching green eyes to find Lacey.  The grin that flashed across her face was absolutely blinding in its intensity.  Lacey could only return it with equal wattage.

When the class was over and everyone was called back into the ring, Rachel and Sonny were honored with the red of second place.  The blonde patted the colt's shoulder with obvious affection, then leaned forward to hug him.  He sedately shook his head and neck in disgust at the display, causing Lacey and Lauren to laugh.

As that class exited the ring, Molly's class was lining up at the entrance gate.  Stewards and ring assistants were scurrying around to take down the poles and supporting standards, making way for the junior rider English Equitation class.  Lacey found Molly and Jester in the middle of the milling group of people and horses.  She thanked Rico for his solicitous attention before clasping the little girl's knee.

Molly grinned.  "Mama got a second place."

"Yeah, she did.  They were great.  Coke?" she raised the cup to Molly and the girl willingly grasped the straw between her lips without letting go of her reins.

"We're just gonna do our best."

"That's right, baby," Lacey nodded, squeezing the child's thigh.  The announcer started preparing the class to enter so the dark woman stood on her toes and Molly leaned down for better accessibility.  Lacey kissed the child's cheek and murmured encouraging words in her ear.

Molly beamed.  "I love you."

"You too, honey.  Go on."  She patted the gelding's shoulder.  "Be good, Jester, or you'll have me to answer to."

The loud speaker crackled to life and then blared across the grounds.  "Class number twenty-six, Junior English Equitation, is now entering the ring.  Riders please cross the arena at a trot and turn right along the rail."

Molly nudged Jester forward, lifting her hands into the saddle seat position her mother had shown her countless times before.  Right before she passed through the gate she looked back over her shoulder to flash a toothy grin at Lacey.  It was so much like her mother's, it tugged at the dark woman's heart strings.  She offered the child a thumbs up and then the small entourage went to claim a place on the rail.

Lacey watched the girl and gelding cross the ring as instructed and find their spot on the rail.  She felt a hand at her back and turned to see Rachel standing behind her, long blonde hair tucked up into a bun.  The wisps were wet with perspiration from being tucked under the hunt cap.  Looking past her blonde lover she saw Mary standing beyond the spectators holding Sunny's reins, giving Rachel the freedom to watch her daughter ride.  Lacey smiled her thanks before pulling Rachel in front of her and wrapping the blonde in a tight embrace.  She leaned forward to whisper her congratulations into the smaller woman's ear.

Rachel leaned back against the sturdy form of her lover and watched Molly trot around the ring.  Though it was swelteringly hot and miserably humid, and the sun beat down on them with relentless bright rays causing them all to squint even through the lenses of their sunglasses, Rachel smiled and gripped the arms that held her.  With her lover behind her and their daughter in front of her, this was quite possibly the most beautiful day she had ever witnessed.

The End.
 
 

As always, thank you for riding it out with me.  Hope you enjoyed it.

 

                                   


 

Return to The Bard's Corner