NEW DIMENSIONS

by Blue
Vryblueyz@aol.com

Part 3

Xena produced the glowing crystal and placed it in Amoria’s hand. She went to Gabrielle’s side and waited. "Now what?"

Amoria had positioned the two women so their hands were touching. She removed the coral from Gabrielle’s neck. It was also pulsing. She wound both pieces around their hands and stepped back. At first, nothing seemed to change. Then the stones got brighter and the glow began to completely envelope the two women. There was an eerieness about the light. It was a luminescent blue and had a life of its own. Gabrielle and Liz could no longer be seen. Xena tried to move forward, but Hippocrates held her back. The light was at a blinding white level now and even Xena had to turn away. It had split itself into two thin vertical shafts… one directly above each woman. The vibrational hum rattled the entire structure, anything not secured fell to the floor. Xena thought the hut would collapse. She shielded her eyes to peer at the center of the room. Between the two shafts there appeared to be a corridor. At first inspection, it was reaching into infinity. There was no discernible end. Almost imperceptibly, the twin spires began to converge. Xena could see an intense yellow beam at the end of the corridor. It was coming this way, a little like watching sand fill the bottom of a hole. The closer the shafts got, the more narrow the corridor, the brighter and nearer the beam. It was consuming the corridor, sealing it. Liz had been right, she couldn’t go home. The shafts touched, formed one entity and began collapsing in on itself. It was reduced to a single point of energy, growing smaller. In one final burst, it literally vanished.

Everyone stood motionless. The only sound was that of gentle rain falling on the roof. Xena moved to Gabrielle’s side. She looked in the bard’s face for a sign of life. "Gabrielle, can you hear me? Please, wake up. "

The bard stirred, moving her head slightly.

Xena encouraged her. "That’s it Gabrielle, come back. Come back to me."

Gabrielle’s hand reached up to touch Xena’s face. Her eyes opened slightly. She was weak, but conscious. "Xena… are you here?"

"Oh, yes, I’m here. Just relax everything is going to fine now...just fine." She bent over her and kissed her lips… uncontrolled tears were in her eyes. "You’re going to be just fine."

Gabrielle held Xena close for a minute. "I love you, Xena, always." She fell into a light sleep.

Xena had a look of panic on her face. She motioned for Hippocrates to look at her.

He checked her vital signs. They were good, the color was returning to her cheeks, the fever abating. "It’s ok, Xena, she’s just sleeping now. It’s over. I think her friend needs help more." He was directing his attention to Liz. She was in bad shape. The beating had taken a toll. He and Amoria worked over her. Xena sat on the opposite side of the pallet, holding Gabrielle’s hand, watching the effort being made.

"Will she be all right?"

Amoria cut a look at her. "She will pull through, no thanks to you, Xena. If it weren’t for this woman’s courage, Gabrielle would be dead right now. Think about it, warrior." She instructed Hippocrates’ aide to help her move Liz to a separate pallet. The three of them worked on her for many hours. Xena maintained her station next to Gabrielle. It was very late before the activity ceased. They had wrapped her chest for the broken ribs and cleaned the laceration on her lip. Hippocrates did the best he could for her nose. It would heal ok. At various places in the hut, sleeping exhausted bodies reclined. It had been a Hades of a day.

Liz opened her eyes. She was staring at a thatched straw ceiling. She heard the gentle pelt of rain. She knew where she was. She felt like hell, and remembered the reason. Slowly, she rolled over on her side and pushed herself to a sitting position. Across the room she saw Gabrielle. Xena was sleeping next to her. She had to see for herself that she was all right. She slid off the pallet, her feet finding the floor. ‘Not to bad’, she thought, ‘I can do this.’ She took a tentative step, a little shaky, but ok. She used the various pieces of furniture for support. Quietly, she stood over Gabrielle. She was breathing normally and looked beautiful, just the way she remembered. Xena opened her eyes to see Liz standing. It was Liz who spoke. "Is she going to be ok?"

Xena got off the pallet and went around to where Liz was standing. She was just in time to catch her. Putting an arm around her waist, she simply picked her up. "She’s going to be fine. She’s just sleeping. You are the one that needs to rest. Now don’t make me tell you twice...or…"

Liz asked, "Or you’ll whack me over the head?"

Xena smiled, " Yep, exactly." She carried her back to the pallet and gently deposited her. "We can talk in the morning."

Liz was already slipping into sleep. "Yes, in the morning."

_______________________

Randi knew something major had shifted. The electrical activity had intensified to biblical proportions and then nothing. She could practically tell when the rip had been sealed. She was left with this feeling of finality in the pit of her stomach. Liz was gone and trapped in another dimension. She had placed a call to Roger. He wasn’t home, so she had left an urgent message. She couldn’t stand waiting. She picked up the phone and dialed Liz’s number. Maybe he was there. Sure enough, he picked up on the second ring.

"Liz, is that you, honey?" He sounded so lost.

"No, Roger, it’s Randi."

Fearing the worst, he sat down. Brie was in his lap begging for attention. She missed her momma. He was near hysteria. "Oh, God, she’s gone, isn’t she?"

Randi didn’t need an irrational queen on the phone with her right now. "Roger, listen to me. There is a way to bring her home, but I need your help and Ruth’s" She could hear someone in the background talking. "Honey, who’s there with you?"

"It’s Sam. She was worried about Liz, so she flew in today. She is just beside herself. What can we do? You name it. "

"Ok, this is good. Sam can help. In fact, more is better. I’ll need Ruth’s number. We’re going to have to coordinate a rescue attempt across time and space, but I need to talk to her first. Just stay near a phone, or let her know where you can be reached. This will need split second timing, but I think it will work. I’ll call you in a day or so. Oh, and the last thing Liz told me was for you to keep your hands off her condo. I think she meant it, sweetie. Ok, now don’t go falling apart on me. Promise?"

"I’ll do my best, Randi." He put the cordless on the counter and fell into Sam’s arms, crying like a baby.

She had written Ruth’s number down and prepared to make the call. This was going to be the trick of the century. But she had very little to lose. The worst that would happen is it wouldn’t work. She had to try. She dialed the number. Ruth answered on the first ring.

"Hello, Randi, I know."

Randi liked a straightforward approach. Never mind how totally weird it was. Results were all that mattered. "You know what I have in mind?"

"Yes, I do. I believe we can make this work. Give me your number there and I’ll be in touch. I’ll get Roger and Sam over here when it’s time. Good-bye, Randi."

"Good-bye, Ruth." She hung the phone up. This had to work...it just had to.

 

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

It was early when Gabrielle awoke. Xena was wrapped around her, sleeping soundly. She had this sensation that she had missed something. It took a moment to realize where she was. How did she get to Amoria’s? She didn’t remember anything. In fact, the last memory she had was pulling up to Hippocrates’ compound. After that, everything was blank.

She shifted to her side to face Xena, placing her hand on the warrior’s face. She traced the outline of the strong features with her finger. She was lightly running her thumb over Xena’s lips when they formed a slight pucker and kissed the bard’s digit. Xena’s eyes opened to find Gabrielle staring at her. It was so good to see that love again. Gabrielle pulled Xena closer and started kissing her. There was a hunger and insistence in her advance. Her hand cupped Xena’s breast and her own body began to shake with desire. It was all Xena could do to stop her.

"Gabrielle, we’re...not...." Her words were being smothered by the bard’s mouth. "...not…alone.."

Xena’s revelation did little to slow Gabrielle. "I know...now shut up and kiss me." The warrior didn’t need a formal invitation to taste those soft lips. She obediently obliged her lover. Their passion was about to get very publicly out of hand. Neither cared.

The sound of pots rattling across the room momentarily halted the activity. Amoria was busy getting breakfast started. The aroma of nutbread was already filling the hut. Gabrielle’s other mistress, her appetite, was also awake. She literally hadn’t eaten for days and was about to make up for that lost time. Xena smiled and knew she would have to wait to sate her appetite. She playfully pinched Gabrielle’s breast and rolled off the pallet. Gabrielle sat up and looked around the room. Hippocrates was entering the door of the hut with more wood for the fire. He beamed when he saw Gabrielle in an upright, conscious position. He deposited the wood and made his way to the bard’s side. Time for a check on her recovery.

"Gabrielle, it’s good to have you back with us. How are you feeling?"

"Well, I’m hungry for one thing and a little confused for another. I don’t remember anything after arriving at your compound. And my body is sore, especially my jaw."

Xena peered at the bard remembering the incident. She would have some explaining to do, but not right now. Hippocrates just let that comment slide.

She continued the barrage. "Hmm... what happened? How did I get here? What are you doing here? I have a hundred questions."

Yep, she was back to normal… so much for peace and quiet. Where to start, now that was the real question. Starting with the most relevant event and working backward, he began filling in the gaps.

"You have quite a list there. So, I’ll give you the condensed version over breakfast. But I’ve got to check on my other patient right now. Just take it easy getting up. You’ve been on your back for a couple of days." He turned to head over to the pallet holding Liz.

Gabrielle was puzzled. "What other patient?"

He looked at her and realized she couldn’t know about the events of last night. Rather matter of factly he said, "Why, your friend, Liz , of course. She came back to help you, Gabrielle."

The bard looked across the room for confirmation. "Xena? Is it true? "

"Yes, she bridged some sort of time corridor and saved you. She said something about ‘owing’ you. The key was the necklaces you both had."

Gabrielle felt for the coral piece. It was gone. She interrupted Xena’s explanation. "Xena…where is my necklace?"

"Oh, I’m afraid it was vaporized last night…they both were. But, I’m getting to that part, so just relax, will ya’?"

She interrupted again. "Vaporized? What do you mean ‘vaporized?’ What happened here, anyway?"

Xena was wishing for another bout of bardly unconsciousness. Anything to shut her up long enough to finish this tale. She reached over and clamped her palm over the bard’s still moving mouth. "Gabrielle! Be quiet for just a few minutes. Nod if you understand me."

Gabrielle moved her head in a up and down motion, eyes wide.

"Ok, I’m going to remove my hand. And I’m warning you, not a word until I’m through. Got it?" She waited for another silent nod, removed her hand and then continued. " Like I was saying, the necklaces were the key. Once she was here and they were brought together, the corridor sealed itself. The opening or tear or whatever…was causing the drain on your life-force. With the opening closed the drain ceased and its effects on you reversed. Unfortunately, she didn’t enter our time in the right place. Amoria sent me to retrieve her but Grackus and his buddies found her first. You remember him, don’t you?"

Gabrielle did remember that road slime. She just nodded, fearing the warrior’s wrath at a spoken word.

"By the time I found her, they had beaten her pretty bad. Seems they remembered that interaction you two had a few months back. So, I interrupted their little party and brought her here. Amoria and Hippocrates worked on her after the ‘main event.’ She’ll be ok, but it will take some time. Ok, you can talk now."

The idea that Liz had been injured because of her didn’t sit well with Gabrielle. "Where is she?" Xena stepped out of her line of sight. Across the room Hippocrates was bent over his patient. She was still asleep. Gabrielle swung her legs off the pallet and tried to stand. She was weak and her head was spinning. She fell back on the bed.

"Ooh…guess I’m a little unsteady. Xena, please help up. I want to see her."

The warrior supported Gabrielle’s waist as the bard held on. Together they approached the pallet where Liz lay. The physician finished his exam and moved aside. Gabrielle supported herself on the edge of the pallet, looking at Liz. Her lip was swollen and she had a grade-A black eye. Gabrielle took a chair next to the sleeping form. She looked at Xena. "I’m just going to sit here for a bit. It’s ok, Xena, really."

The warrior nodded and lightly kissed her on the top of the head. "I know. I think I’ll go check on Argo. We had a Hades of a storm last night. I want to be sure she’s all right. I’ll be back in a while. Take care of her." She turned and walked out of the hut. She needed some time alone, too. She had acted like a total ass and wasn’t pleased with herself. Self-recrimination was a new emotion for her. It would take some getting used to.

Gabrielle took Liz’s hand in her own. There were fresh rope burns on her wrists. She sat, stroking her arm and talking softly to her.

"Oh, Liz, I’m so sorry. You didn’t deserve this kind of treatment. I can’t believe you did this for me. I tried to warn you about coming here, but apparently you are as stubborn as that warrior of mine. You know, that just between the two of us, you and Xena make quite a little tag team. What am I going to do with both of you in the same time? It could get pretty messy. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but she’s a little jealous. I’m sure it’s just a phase, she’ll get over it...I hope."

Without opening her eyes, Liz responded. "Oh, I’ve noticed, believe me. Xena’s not one for hiding that particular emotion. "

Gabrielle’s face lit up. "Liz! You’re awake. How do you feel?"

She coaxed her good eye open. Seeing Gabrielle up and moving and, oh yes, talking was worth all the discomfort. "How do I feel? Hmm…I feel like someone rode me hard and hung me up wet." For the first time she noticed the purple bruise on the bard’s chin. "Hey, you don’t look so hot yourself. You taken a gander at your face lately? Boy, someone laid a good one on you. I didn’t think you were that much into fighting."

Gabrielle felt her face and Liz was right, someone had decked her. When and where was beyond her right now. "Well, I don’t remember anyone hitting me, but then there’s a lot that’s happened without my knowledge lately. I’ll have to ask Xena about it." Her stomach announced its presence. "Uhmm…are you as hungry as I am?"

Liz did have an appetite. "Come to think of it, I could eat, believe it or not. Help me to sit up, will ya’?" It was an effort because her ribs were very sore, but the two of them managed. It was quite a sight, the unsteady helping the bruised and battered. Amoria and Hippocrates just watched the comedy. Finally, he offered assistance. "You girls want some help?"

They continued figuring the logistics. Gabrielle politely refused. "No…no I think we’ve got it under control." They were cavorting like two children. Finally, Liz was sitting in a somewhat comfy position. "There, that should do you for a bit. I’ll get us some breakfast. " Gabrielle stood a little too fast and once again plopped back into the chair. This time Hippocrates insisted. "You two just sit still. I’ll bring something over to you." Knowing the bard’s penchant for food, he piled the plate high.

Gabrielle started with a big slice of nutbread. It was her favorite. Liz found chewing to be a little difficult, but was managing. For the time being conversation ceased as they inhaled all before them.

Hippocrates turned to Amoria to comment. "I hope you cooked enough, those two will eat you out of hut and home. We’d better put some away for Xena before it’s gone." They both chuckled. "I think I’ll go find the warrior. Keep an eye on them." He left the hut, unnoticed by the two eating machines.

Hippocrates walked to the livery where he found Xena stoically brushing Argo. He stood in the doorway watching her stroke the same area over and over.

"You know, she’d probably like it better if you spread the strokes out."

"Oh, yeah, guess you’re right. Sorry girl, I was lost in thought." She focused her attention to a different place on Argo’s hide.

Walking closer, Hippocrates pried. " Thinking about what Xena? Surely you’re not still worried about Liz and Gabrielle…and …you know?"

A faint smile came to her lips. "No, not about that...something else." She paused slightly, gathering her thoughts. "Last night…when Liz and I were on the way here, she said something about not being able to return to her time. I didn’t fully understand it until that light show in the hut." She stopped brushing Argo and faced him. "Hippocrates, I saw that corridor she was talking about seal itself. There’s no way for her to leave. She’s stuck here."

He was waiting for the rest of it. "And…what’s your point?"

"The point is…what are we going to do with her? She can’t just tag along with Gabrielle and me. And she can’t just roam about by herself. It’s not safe. Grackus will be looking for her. This is a royal mess." She was making decisions without authority…one of Xena’s ‘many talents.’

Hippocrates thoughtfully rubbed his chin. "If you want my opinion, this isn’t your decision to make, Xena. Liz isn’t a child. She knew the risk involved in coming here and took it anyway. She weighted the options and traded her existence for Gabrielle’s life. I’d say that counts for something. This is something the three of you need to discuss." He looked at the warrior, half expecting a rebuttal, but there was none. He had made his point.

"Now, I suggest we get back to Amoria’s. Gabrielle is up and she’s feeding. Oh, and Liz is keeping up with her. We’ll be lucky if there’s anything left at all."

"By the gods, why are we standing here? C’mon, I’ll race ya’ " She dropped the brush and sped by the elderly healer. He casually strolled out of the barn. "No substitute for youthful exuberance, I always say."

 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Xena had slowed to a walk by the time she approached the hut. The aroma of food was wafting from the dwelling. She really did hope that there was some left. She entered to find Liz awake and sitting. She still looked pretty bad. Gabrielle was sitting near her and both were still eating. Hippocrates was right. Gabrielle had found someone with an appetite as robust as her own. It was an amazing sight.

The bard barely stopped chewing to speak. "Uhmmm…Xena…look who’s awake. Isn’t that great? Liz would you like some more nutbread? "

Liz stopped eating. Blue eyes met blue eyes. "Ah...no thank you, Gabrielle. I actually think I’ve had enough for now. Better save some for Xena."

Xena actually smiled. "Thanks for saving a crumb or two for me." She filled her plate and dragged a chair next to Gabrielle. "How are you feeling, Liz?"

"I’m sore as hell, especially my ribs, but I’ll survive." She decided to wave the truce flag first. "Xena, I want to thank you for saving my butt last night. I’m afraid I wasn’t very appreciative. I’m sorry."

Gabrielle stopped munching and watched the exchange. She looked at Xena. "What’s she talking about? You two didn’t get into it, did you?"

Liz gave Xena a silent shake of her head. The warrior looked Gabrielle straight in the face and bent the truth. "No…no… we were just a little pressed for time, that’s all." She returned Liz’s request with a wink. The truce had been made. She needed to talk to both of these women about a serious matter. Well, no time like the present. "Look, we, the three of us, need to talk. We have some decisions to make."

Gabrielle wasn’t following this too close. "What decisions? Oh, you mean how long Liz is going to visit?" She directed the question Liz’s way. "Yeah, just how long can you stay. I think you should at least give your ribs a chance to heal some. I mean I certainly don’t know anything about time travel, but it’s got to be hard on one."

Liz looked at Xena with the ‘shall I tell her, or do you want to’ looks. Liz decided to do the deed. She put her plate aside and took Gabrielle’s hand. Xena didn’t object. "Gabrielle...I…er…well...I won’t be going home. I can’t…the way was sealed. I’m sorta stuck here for the duration of my life. And if Grackus has his way, it won’t be long."

The bard stopped eating… her jaw open. She swallowed hard. "What do you mean you can’t go home? You came here knowing you would be stuck? What kind of plan was that? " She was visibly irritated.

Liz defended her decision. "It was the only plan available. I just have to live with it. I’m sorry."

Gabrielle was shaking her head to and fro. "Oh, no, I’m the one’s who’s sorry. If it weren’t for me, none of this would have happened. Xena, isn’t there something we can do?"

Xena took the bard’s free hand. "Gabrielle, Liz is all grown up. She knew the risk and odds. We can’t do anything about all that now. But we can come up with a way for her to live in this time."

A spark appeared in the bard’s eyes. "She can travel with us, Xena. I mean after she’s healed of course. It’d be nice to have company for those times when you don’t want to talk, which is a lot. What do you think, Liz? We could be three wandering righters of wrongs. It’d be great!"

Liz shook her head. "No, it wouldn’t be great. You don’t understand. Just because I can’t go home doesn’t mean it’s safe here for me. In fact, it’s very dangerous. Every interaction I have alters my world’s future slightly. It will be totally irresponsible for me to continue doing so. I have no control over staying here, but I can control my interactions while I’m here. I have to find a place that is remote and secluded. In other words, I have to disappear in this time. There is no other way."

Gabrielle wasn’t the least bit happy. "No! There has to be another way. Xena, talk to her. We just can’t abandon her. For the love of Zeus, she saved my life!"

Xena tried to calm her lover. "She’s right, Gabrielle. I saw the corridor seal itself. This is the only responsible thing for her to do. If you care about her as your friend, respect her wishes."

She had a tear in those green eyes. "Liz, where will you go?"

"I was hoping you could give me an idea or two. I’m not real familiar with the territory. And AAA hasn’t been invented yet."

Gabrielle knew to let anything that sounded weird slide. From the hearth, Amoria spoke to the group.

"Take her to the Amazons. All will be made final there."

The three of them looked her way. Her eyes were half-closed and she was in a trance of sorts. Gabrielle looked at Xena "Why the Amazons? I thought she needed to stay away from people. Believe me, that village isn’t the place for solitude. You know how Eponin and Ephiny are. They will be all over her…and in more ways than one." She cast a glance toward Liz. In spite of her battered face, she was quite handsome. The fact that she had saved the Amazon’s Queen would place her in high standing. The complications and competition for her attention would be fierce. Gabrielle could just picture it all now. Liz would have to have a guard. It was an amusing thought.

Xena cut into her head drama for a reality check. She was speaking to Gabrielle and Liz. "I think we need to do what Amoria says. We have the wagon so you won’t have to ride on Argo, Liz. And we’ll ask Hippocrates to go with us in case one of you has a relapse. I think he would like to see this thing to the end. Now this sounds like a plan. We can leave in a few days. I think your ribs need the extra rest. Are we agreed then? "The three raised their goblets and toasted. Liz exclaimed. "One for all, and all for one."

Gabrielle liked the sound of that. "Mind if I use that sometime?" Liz laughed. "Sure, go ahead. Catchy, isn’t it?"

_____________________

The phone in Randi’s quarters rang. She rolled over to look at the clock. It was three in the morning. Sleepily she answered. "Hello, this is Dr.James."

"Randi, excuse the late hour, this is Ruth. I have news. We need to talk."

She sat up and turned on the bedside lamp. She was trying to clear her head. She grabbed a tablet and her glasses. "Ok, what’s up?"

"I’ve been in communication with the ‘other’ and all is proceeding as planned. It will all be in place in two days. Will you be ready?"

"Yes, I have a few things to set up at the site, but it will be ready. Have you talked to Roger and Sam yet?"

"I just got off the phone with Roger. He and Sam will be here with me. All we have to do is wait for the motion to start there. Keep her in your love, Randi, for it will be our love that will save her, if she indeed wants saving."

Randi was a little caught off guard by this last part. "What do you mean ‘if she wants saving?’ Is there a chance she will choose to stay there? How will we know?"

"We will have to wait for Liz to make that decision, Randi. And we should be prepared to accept that possibility. It’s out of our hands. We’ll only be a small part of the process, Liz has the final say. Just be ready for anything. I’ll be in touch. Good-bye, Randi."

She was stunned and words failed her. She barely said ‘bubye.’ The line went silent. Randi lay on her back and stared at the ceiling. She spoke to her friend across the void. "Liz, honey, I love you…we all do. Do what you must…but I miss you. Please, come home to us." A tear formed and rolled from her eye, finally stopping in her ear.

__________________________

Liz stirred in her sleep. Warmth washed over her, like a mother’s hand. She thought she was dreaming. She heard Randi’s voice telling her she loved her. Liz loved and missed her friend…all her friends. Sleep overtook her mind.

Amoria opened one eye and cast it her way. "Yes, love will save you, traveler, if that’s what you want."

 

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Later in the day, Liz wanted to get up and move about. She was aware that moving was the key to avoid serious lung problems. It wouldn’t do to get pneumonia here. Gabrielle helped her off the pallet and after a few tours of the hut she ventured outside. Daedalius was exactly as she remembered. ‘What a simple life’, she thought. ‘No traffic jams, noise pollution, and only the occasional road bandit. This is so uncomplicated.’

"Whatcha’ thinking about?" Gabrielle asked.

"Oh, not much, really." Liz really didn’t want to get into a deep discussion right now. The implications of all this was just too overwhelming. She shifted the focus. "So, how far is the Amazon village from here?"

"Well, the beginning of the territory is about a day’s ride and the actual village another day. I think you’ll find it…ah…interesting."

Liz smiled, her eyes squinting in the bright sun. " Oh, I’m sure I will. Do you think Ephiny will allow an ‘outsider’ to stay in the village?"

"I’m sure she won’t have an objection. I do have some pull, you remember...being the Queen and all." She winked at Liz.

"Oooh…that’s right. How could I have forgotten that. Forgive me, your highness." Liz attempted to bow, but the pain in her side curtailed that motion. "Ow! Guess I’m not quite ready for subjugation just yet." The ensuing laughter was a painful endeavor.

Xena rounded the corner and spied the ‘children.’ It was good to see Gabrielle back to normal. She was reluctant to admit it, but Liz was growing on her. "What are you two up to? Mischief, I’m sure. How’s it going, Liz? Feel like taking a walk to the tavern with me?"

She looked at the warrior and then to Gabrielle. The bard wasn’t invited. Gabrielle cleared her throat and made an excuse to help Amoria. "Well, you two obviously have some business to conduct. I think I’ll help Amoria with the evening preparations. Xena, try to keep Liz out of trouble, ok?" She gave Xena a quick kiss and went inside.

The two warriors watched Gabrielle walk away. Liz was just a little nervous being left alone with Xena. She was, after all, the biggest damn woman with a sword she’d ever seen. Come to think of it, she was the only woman armed in such a manner she’d ever seen. The fact that she was drop dead beautiful was intimidating on its own. "What’s this about, Xena?"

"I think we just need to talk…you know…clear some things up. How ‘bout it? We’ll get a drink at the tavern and have some ‘girl talk.’ " She was waiting for agreement.

Liz arched an eyebrow and looked at Xena suspiciously. "Girl talk? You don’t strike me as the kind who would engage in that activity. But, I agree we need to have a chat. Lead on, then."

The two of them strolled toward the inn, side by side. They entered the tavern and took a table in the back, away from most of the noise and activity.

"What will it be for you, Liz?"

Doubting they could make a decent margarita, she opted for whatever Xena was having. The warrior waved two fingers to the barkeep. He delivered two mugs of port to the table and went back to his other customers.

"Well, here’s to adventure." Xena raised her mug.

Liz lifted hers. "And to good friends."

They tapped the mugs and each took a big swig. Xena was watching Liz over the top of her mug. Liz swallowed the warm brew and closed her eyes tight in a squinting motion. She shook her head and peered into the half empty mug. "Whew! What is this stuff?" She took another sip "Hmmm... not bad." She drained the cup. It was Xena’s turn. She turned up the mug and finished it. Liz raised two fingers to the barkeep. She was sure this stuff was deadly, but what the hell. How many people can say they sat and got shit-faced with The Warrior Princess? She smirked and thought, ‘Xenites, eat your hearts out.’

Wisely, Liz decided not to match Xena mug for mug. She conceded the warrior’s superiority in this arena. They settled into a conversational mode. Xena started. "I need to know something. Back at Amoria’s, why didn’t you tell Gabrielle what really happened? I was pretty ugly to you."

"Well, I wasn’t exactly congenial either. You were worried about Gabrielle and I was worried about failing both of you… not to mention the serious rearrangement of my face going on. It just wouldn’t have served a purpose to whine and finger point like two children. We both acted like asses. I don’t intend on discussing this with Gabrielle. What you decide, is your business." She took a sip from the mug. "You know, this stuff kinda grows on you."

"Well, I’d take it easy, if I were you. It has a way of sneaking up on you. By the way, how is your nose doing?"

"You know, I actually think I can breathe better. Kurris may have solved my sinus problem." They both laughed. The thought of Grackus and company, however, had a sobering effect on her. "You think those guys will try to even the score?"

"I wouldn’t worry too much, they’re always trying to screw with someone. I think having a second round with you will encourage them to seek an easier target. You handled yourself pretty good in spite of your injuries. Where did you learn to fly a whip like that?"

Liz thought of Roger and smiled. "Oh, from a queen I know."

Xena had a puzzled look on her face. "You know a Queen other than

Gabrielle?"

"Xena, I come from a place filled with them. Here’s to queens." She held the mug aloft and toasted with Xena. Together, they downed the nasty brew. An alliance had been formed.

Gabrielle found them laughing and telling stories in the back of the tavern.

"I wondered what happened to you two. Amoria sent me to gather you two for dinner. Anyone hungry?" Xena and Liz looked at each other and nodded in unison. They stood and Liz led the way out of the tavern. She only veered into one table… not too bad, considering. Gabrielle took Xena by the arm and questioned her. "Ok, what’s been going on here? What have you two been talking about all afternoon? "

Xena smiled. "Let’s just say we’ve cleared the air about a few things. She’s all right, Gabrielle."

For Xena to admit something like this was just short of amazing. Gabrielle couldn’t help herself. "I knew once you got to know her, you’d like her. I was right wasn’t I?"

The warrior bent near her ear. "Gabrielle, don’t push it, ok? We’ll talk about this later."

The bard exercised her right of having the last word. She spoke under her breath. "I was right…yep...I was right. I love it when I’m right."

They entered the hut to find Liz already chowing down. She had found her appetite fully now. Gabrielle joined in the fray. Xena, Amoria and Hippocrates grabbed what was left and sat near the hearth. The conversation turned to the next day’s journey. Xena addressed the healer. Liz and Gabrielle paused to catch the exchange.

"Amoria, I need to know what you meant by everything being made final at the Amazon village. What’s going to happen there?"

"A decision, Xena, one Liz will have to make." All eyes were aimed in her direction. The eating ceased. Gabrielle wanted clarification. "What kind of decision? Whether to stay with the Amazons, go live in the woods, what? "

Liz tried to calm the bard. "Gabrielle, calm down. I think I know what she’s talking about."

"Well, I’m glad somebody knows what’s going on, cause I sure don’t! I like a riddle as well as the next girl, but I’m tired of this one. Tell me!"

Liz looked into Amoria’s eyes as she spoke. "I think I’ll be asked to choose between staying here and going home."

Gabrielle was totally confused. "Wait a minute…I thought you couldn’t go home. Is anyone else as lost as I am?"

Xena was even a little lost. "How is that possible? I saw your path cut off."

"Apparently there is another way. Right, Amoria?"

The seer nodded. "There is another way, but only if you desire it strong enough. You will have to make that decision soon. And, traveler, it will be final. So make your choice wisely."

Liz’s appetite was gone. She got up and walked from the room. She needed to think. Gabrielle started after her, but was restrained by Xena. "Give her some time, Gabrielle." The bard sat back in the chair. The meal continued in relative silence.

Liz walked away from the hut. She just needed some breathing room. She turned into the livery and went to Argo’s stall. The mare recognized her and gently nodded her head. Liz found the grooming brush and stroked the war-horse in long fluid motions. In situations like this, she usually talked to Brie and RG. Argo would have to sub for them. Besides, the mare was enjoying all the extra grooming.

"What do I decide girl? I was afraid I couldn’t go home and now I’m afraid I can. Doesn’t make any sense, does it? I miss my friends…my home…the way my life was. But I’ll miss Gabrielle and Xena as much. This is like that dream, you know." She stopped brushing and looked into the mare’s soft brown eyes. "Argo, in the dream I got to where I didn’t want to wake up. Now I don’t think I want to go home. And I feel guilty about that. Why can’t the gods just leave me alone? All I want is serenity."

Hippocrates made his second appearance in the stable in as many days. It was getting to be a habit for him. "The gods aren’t much for leaving mortals alone, Liz… not in this time or yours. And as for serenity, well, that is within you. Only you control that." He walked closer to her. "I hope I’m not intruding but thought you might need a neutral ear."

She turned to face the physician. "No, not at all, I could use the sound of a rational voice. I’m afraid I’m not operating from a very sane place right now." She put the brush on its hook and sat on a hay bale. "I don’t know what to do, Hippocrates. I am so torn. It was easier when I thought I had no choice. Why is this so hard? I don’t understand." She was near tears from frustration and anxiety. "It’s not like I don’t miss my friends, I do, but I’ve formed a real attachment for Gabrielle and even that warrior of hers."

He put his arm around her shoulder like a father consoling a child. "You will do what’s right, Liz. Just let it come to you. Now, c’mon, Gabrielle has a surprise for you." He walked her back to the hut. She entered the structure and found it filled with candlelight. It was beautiful. Near her pallet was a large tub filled with warm scented water. There was a note. "Liz, I know how you enjoy a long soak. Take your time. Xena and I will stay at the inn tonight. Sleep well. Gabrielle"

What a treat. She was filthy and the idea of soaking her sore body was beyond rapture. Hippocrates excused himself and Amoria helped her out of her clothes and bandages and then joined him outside. Liz took an inventory of her body before stepping into the tub. She peered at her side, pulling her breast out of the way with her right hand. "Now that’s attractive, in a brutish sort of way." She was seeing the ugly bruise from the boot of Grackus. It was quite a little beauty, running the breath of her entire left side. Gravity had drawn the extravasation to her hip and butt. She let out a low whistle. "Jeez…no wonder I hurt like hell. My medical plan is really going to take a hit from this." Shaking her head, she slipped into the tub, and could only imagine what was going on at the inn.

___________________

There was a trail of clothes from the door to the pallet. A gauntlet here…a short skirt there…leather armor...boots...green thingee...shifts thrown across chairs and on the floor.

Xena was devouring Gabrielle from head to foot. The bard was returning tit for tat. It was like they had been apart forever. A fever pitch was building. It was a struggle…a race…yes…no…not yet...hurry…slow down.

"Xena...yes, please...umm…oh…there…right there. Do you…think…she knows..?"

"Uh-huh... now be quiet or I’ll stop."

Gabrielle grabbed a handful of the warrior’s raven hair, pulling her close. "Don’t even think about it." She closed her mouth over Xena’s, her tongue darting over the warrior’s. Xena’s hands were exploring her warm flesh, fingers dancing along the outline of her full breast, teasing the nipple to attention.

____________________

Liz let her head rest on the edge of the tub… her body strangely buoyant and light. She thought about the lovers across the way and began touching herself. Slowly, her hand circled her breast, teasing the nipple lightly with an open palm. In her mind, she saw Xena doing the same to Gabrielle. She watched as the bard moved her body under the warrior, her nipples becoming erect.

Liz caught the erect tip between thumb and finger, applying pressure, gently at first, then harder. It’s sister came erect out of empathy. She roughly massaged the flesh while pinching the nipple harder. A direct sensory connection was made to her core. Breathing became deep and focused.

____________________

Xena pushed her thigh between Gabrielle’s legs. The bard offered no resistance. She applied pressure to her lover’s leg, rubbing against it. Her wetness bathed the warrior’s, releasing a flood of juices, mixing with Gabrielle’s. "Xena...what do you…oh, gods, yes...ah…I…forgot what I was...uhmmm…going to say..." She closed her eyes and arched her back, slightly.

"Gabrielle, shut up...I’m…warning...oh,gods...you..."

Xena caught the bard’s nipple between her teeth, alternating biting and sucking. Her hands were beneath Gabrielle’s butt. She could feel her cheeks clinching in a very rhythmic pattern. There was wetness pouring from her, covering Xena’s fingers.

"Oh…gods…Gabrielle…you’re so…wet. "

Gabrielle took one of Xena’s hands and put it to her mouth. She began taking each finger into her mouth, sucking her own juice off them. Xena just watched her with a desire she’d not felt before. She claimed the bard’s mouth and tasted that sweetness.

"Oh...sweet…Athena…you’re driving me crazy..."

______________________

 

She felt the wave of desire settle between her legs. She pictured Xena’s mouth on Gabrielle’s breast, sucking, tonguing and biting. A jolt of electricity coursed through her body. Her hand ran over the tight abdomen to the mass of dark curly hair. She massaged the area just above her aching desire. She began teasing the outer folds and moving lightly over the center. She felt the slickness of her own arousal. Holding the outer folds open, Liz began rubbing the erect nub, her back arched and butt tightened. A sharp intake of air hurt her side. It didn’t matter. The energy was being channeled elsewhere.

She saw Xena’s fingers moving on Gabrielle in sync with her own. As Gabrielle responded to the heightened desire, Liz’s own hand moved in kind. She so wanted to come with her. She saw Xena go down on her.

_____________________

"Where…did…you...oooh...learn that? Never mind…I don’t want to know...oh, please, Gabrielle..."

"Please…what…Xena?"

"Please…come…on me…gods…you’re beautiful…I love you so..."

Gabrielle looked into the face of her destiny. It was Xena she loved beyond all else, she and no one else, of this she was certain. She took the warrior’s head in her hands, pushing her lower on her body. She closed her eyes and half-commanded Xena.

"Put your mouth on me...please..."

Without hesitation, Xena moved between her legs, the bard opening wide. She kissed the outline of the damp curls. Gabrielle was too far gone for this, she directed Xena’s head to the source, spreading the folds for her. Xena ran her tongue over the swollen flesh, tasting the nectar of her beloved. Gabrielle let out a gasp, her hands gripped either side of Xena’s head. She wanted it now.

" Oh…Xena…please...now…please.."

 

_____________________

Liz was nearing that point of no return. The features of the room blurred… the sounds, faint echoes. She was waiting for Gabrielle to explode in Xena’s mouth. "Oh...please...now..."

Xena felt tenseness in the bard’s body, the seat of her desire became incredibly large. She thought it would literally explode. Her tongue worked to and fro, the dance was nearly complete. The wave started deep within her. She was one massive sensory nerve ending. Her back arched burying Xena’s face in her juices. The warrior could feel the rhythmic pulses on her lips.

"Oh...god...yessss..." Liz exploded with Gabrielle.

"Xeeeenahhh...!!!" The bard was beyond reach, in a place of pure energy and infinity. Xena held tightly, drinking Gabrielle’s desire. It was minutes before she dared move. Gabrielle’s legs were still clamped around her like a vise. Slowly she relaxed and released her lover. Xena ran her tongue across the damp hair, up her hard belly, between her breasts and finally to her lips. They embraced in a deep kiss, Gabrielle tasting herself again. They lay exhausted. Their lives were again in sync.

Liz opened her eyes, the room coming into focus again. She was crying. It happened sometime after a very emotional climax. This had certainly been one. She didn’t want to make this decision. And she finally realized why this was so hard. That night, she cried herself to sleep.

Concluded - Part 4


Return to The Bard's Corner