Disclaimers: Ownership? Some. Candace and Taylor. Jamie and KaeLynn. Everyone else belongs to THEM.

Spoilers: Yep. Bunches.

Sex: Not yet. Loving relationships between adult women. How sweet is that?

Violence: Nope. It's just not in their nature.

 

Return to Reality

Part 3

Saturday came almost too soon. Taylor had spent Wednesday afternoon packing and they had gone to the bank first thing Saturday morning to pick up the necklace and scroll. The ride to the airport and the flight were totally uneventful. They had first class tickets and were pampered to no end. Candace saw to it that she didn't take too much advantage of the free drinks. But a couple of Tanquarey and tonics weren't going to kill her. The experience in Phoenix was more of the same. As they stepped into the gate area they were surprised to see a gorgeous, blue eyed, curly blonde headed woman holding a placard with their names on it.

Candace spoke to the woman, "Excuse me. That's us." She turned and looked at her companion with eyebrows reaching far up her forehead. With one eyebrow raised Taylor returned the look with one of amusement and shrugged.

"Excellent." She smiled and waved her hand another woman. She was not as tall but just as attractive and with a very athletic build. She was a brunette with eyes the color of amber. The shorter woman stepped up to her side and the two women began to take their carry-on bags from them. Taylor shrugged and relinquished the larger of the two bags. The shorter woman reached for the second bag and was stopped.

"I'll keep this one if you don't mind."

"No problem. Do you have any other luggage?" The brunette asked Candace.

"I'm a girl. What do you think?"

"If I were to make a guess, I would say you over-packed."

"Oh, you're good." The small blonde smiled and shook her head.

Taylor had said the same thing but had been hastily dismissed with "the look". She tried as hard as she could not to laugh and ended up hurting herself trying to hold it in.

"Not a word there Blue Eyes!"

"Me? Never."

The taller of the two women began to introduce them. "I am Jamie and this is my,.. uuh my.. What are you?"

 "I had best be your lover, girlfriend or some such."

"Oh, we're being forward. Alright, this is my lovely and talented some such, KaeLynn." Jamie was quite amused with herself while her lover was not as much so and she received a playful smack in the arm for the comment. "I was just kidding, Honey."

"Paybacks are hell, Squirt." The love in her eyes and her smile was evident.

Candace was smiling at the couple. "I'm Candace and the smart-aleck there is Taylor. Just in case you didn't know who was who."

"We were told but it's nice to be formally introduced."

"Now that we have the niceties out of the way, shall we?" She was polite about it but Taylor just didn't care for formalities and non-sense.

"Of course." The two blonde women smirked secretly at each other. The two brunettes glanced at one another and shook their heads. It was almost ESP.

After retrieving the rest of their luggage they were led to a waiting limo. Both women were not sure how to act at this point.

"Excuse me, Jamie?"

The tall blonde turned to look at Candace. "Yes?"

"Are you sure you have the right people?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, this seems a little extravagant for a couple of women nobody knows."

"Grandma Mel loves to put on a show. We have the right people. Trust me."

"Grandma?"

"Yeah. She and Gandma Jan are mine on my mothers side. Wait until you meet them. They're a hoot. O.K. In you go." Jamie held the door for the two and they slid in next to each other in the cool comfort of the stretch.

With Jamie and Kaelynn in the front seat it left the two travelers alone to talk.

"Is it just me or are we in OZ?" Taylor was normally levelheaded but this was not at all what she had expected. The professor had said there would be someone to pick them up and sure enough there had been. Had there ever.

"I think the best thing to do at this point is just enjoy it. Ya know, I have never made out in a limo."

Taylor could hear the grin in her traveling companion's voice and couldn't help but smile herself. "There are alot of things I have never done in a limo, but we have company so keep your passes at me virtuous please."

" 'Virtuous' passes? Isn't that an oxymoron?" Candace slid close to the strong woman next to her and nipped her neck. Taylor lifted the petite woman into her lap and stared into luminous eyes. Someone in the front turned on some music and a familiar tune began to play. Candace perked up. "I love this song." She began to sing to the woman that held her and the words flowed out of the blonde like sweet nectar.

How do I.... get through one night without you?

If I had to live without you, what kind of life would that be?

Oh. And I... need you in my arms need you to hold.

You're my world my heart my soul

If you ever leave Baby you would take away everything good in my life'.....

Taylor was stunned not only by the quality of her companions voice but by the words as well. They were telling the story of how she felt about the angel in her arms. Emotion over took the normally stable woman and a single tear rolled down her cheek. Even though she bowed her head she couldn't hide it from the blonde.

Candace felt a pang of anxiety in her stomach. *Damn! Did I do something wrong?* "Taylor? Look at me." The blue eyes brimmed with tears looked into a very concerned face. "What's wrong?"

The song played quietly and told the story.

How do I live without you? I want to know.

How do I breath without you if you ever go

how do I ever, ever survive?

How do I. Oh how do I live?

Taylor couldn't find the words to reply so she pulled her heart close to her and held on tight. Candace held her just as tightly not sure of the emotions raging through her firefighters soul.

"Tay?"

The raven-haired woman loosened her grip. She thought about the risk she was about to take and decided *What the hell. I can't keep this in much longer.* She held her breath for what seemed a lifetime and finally spoke. "Candace, I have been so lost for so long. I feel like I have found my home within your arms and I think I would die if I lost you. I know we haven't know each other that long, but I feel as if I have known you forever. I can't explain it. When I touch your hand I feel a connection I can't explain. You walk in the room and I know you're there before I even turn around. I know this all sounds crazy but I....I...aaah."

"You what?"

"I think I'm in love with you. I know that sounds crazy, but I know you are the one I have been waiting for. I can't tell you how I know. I just know." At that moment she was overwhelmed by a disoriented feeling. In her dizziness she closed her eyes and saw in her minds eye a vision of a short blonde woman leaning on a long wooden stick. She looked very similar to Candace and yet different. Her clothes were odd. She wore the ugliest green top she had ever seen and a brown skirt that hung low on her hips. She decided that those boots did not go with that skirt! The blonde's lips were moving but Taylor couldn't make out the words. Her eyes flew open and she started. A single word flew out of her mouth. "Gabrielle!" She was nauseous and shaking.

"My God! Taylor! Are you OK?"

"Hang on a minute." Taylor shook her head to try to shake off the fogginess and clear up the image that had assailed her. "I saw her. It was her! What the hell is going on here!?"

"Saw who? Where?"

"In my mind I saw her!"

"WHO?"

"Gabrielle."

"How do you know it was her?"

"You tell me. Short, about 5'3", blonde, green eyes, wears a funky green colored lace-up sports bra kinda thing? Looks surprisingly like you. Carries a long stick with a stupid fuzzy thing on the end."

The singer signer sat in confused silence. Truths were trying to take hold in her mind but she couldn't make them stick. "Sounds like her. What's she doing in your mind? This whole thing just gets weirder by the minute."

"No kidding."

The rest of the conversation would have to wait as they had arrived at their destination. Candace was not about to let Taylor off the hook. *She said she loves me. Oh my God! Do I love her back? Can I? This is too fast. I need answers to questions I don't even know. What do I do?*

The visitors stepped out into bright sunlight and heat they weren't used to. They had worn cool clothes but it was still twenty degrees warmer here than it had been in Denver.

"You two alright?" KaeLynn spoke with true concern in her voice. She noticed the redness in Taylor's eyes and knew she had been crying.

Candace reached out her hand and touched Taylor lightly on the arm letting the tall woman know she was with her all the way. A sense of relief washed over Taylor at the touch and she answered. "We're fine, KaeLynn. Thank you."

"No problem. If you need anything just ask. Even if it's just to talk." She assumed that the two were lovers and having a spat of some kind. The offer had been made in all sincerity.

"We appreciate that very much."

The home they were about to enter was gorgeous. It wasn't overly huge but it was most assuredly spacious. They had entered through a private gate and had driven up to a cul-de-sac drive. There was a fountain in the front that was the form of a goddess of some sort. Candace stopped to view it and realized the figure was vaguely familiar. She had an idea, but how would anyone know what she looked like?

"Aphrodite."

Candace turned to the short brunette next to her who had spoken. "Um, I thought so." She commented in reply.

"Really? How could you tell?"

"I recognize her."

The two lovers looked at each other and then at Taylor. The firefighter looked back at them and shrugged. All three women were looking at her but the blonde didn't notice for a time. When she did take notice she had to stop and think about what she had said. "OH! I meant I have seen pictures. Yeah, pictures of her...somewhere. Right. That's it. Pictures." Jamie and Kaelynn looked at each other knowing they were being told a very large untruth. But whatever. The two went to the back of the car and began to pull luggage out. Candace had indeed over packed, but girls will always be girls.

Taylor rolled her eyes at her friend's pathetic reasoning and chuckled. "What?" Defensiveness was dripping from the small blondes retort.

"Was that the best you could do? You're a horrible liar." Taylor whispered in her soulmates ear.

"I forgot." The small woman shrugged. There wasn't any way to take back or make up for what she had said, so she just hoped that they would all let it slide. "Good God A'mighty! It's hot out here!" She was hoping to change the subject as quickly as possible.

"It's only 90° out, but follow us and we will lead you where we keep the cool. That cast can't be comfortable in this heat." Jamie felt sympathy for Candace as she had just gotten out of a cast herself.

"Yeah. I need to get some ice on it. I can feel it playing balloon in there."

"Why didn't you say it was bothering you, babe. There was probably ice in the limo." Taylor was suddenly aware that she had used an endearing name on Candace and grimaced. *Please....Let it go by. Just let it go by.*

No such luck. Candace smiled at her blue-eyed companion and mouthed the word back at her. 'babe?' She pushed the blushing six feet of womanhood with her shoulder and then placed a tight grip around Taylor's waist with her left arm. "I think I like that." She smiled up at a now beaming Taylor. Taylor couldn't resist and bent down to steal a quick kiss from soft lips. She then placed another on top of a crown of golden hair. *Yep, I'm in love. Damn! How'd that happen?*

As the four women walked to the house KaeLynn nudged her lover and pointed with her chin to the two in front of them. "Looks like all's well again in paradise."

"Yeah. Hey Kae, did Grandma M. or Dr. Jan tell you why they are here?"

"Mel said something about looking at a scroll. Maybe they are students or something."

"I don't know. Dr. Jan doesn't like students here anymore. She says she's too old to mess with that stuff. And what's up with Candace? She said she RECOGNIZED Aphrodite? She said it like she had seen her in person or something. I can't figure it but something is different about those two.

"Yeah, I thought so too. Did you happen to notice that they look an awful lot like Mel and Dr. Jan? I mean ALOT."

"Strange. I'm gonna talk to Grandma Mel later and see if I can coax any information out of her."

"Good luck." Kae reached out and opened the door to the spacious home of Dr. Janice Covington and Professor Melinda Pappas.

"HELLO! We're here. GRANDMA? DR. JAN? I guess I better go find them." Jamie nodded at her companion to join her.

The entourage threw their burdens on the floor in heap. While the two visitors stood gawking at the sheer beauty of the home they were in the other two went on a hunt for the older women.

"Check this out. What kind of floor is this? It's not marble. Agate maybe? Very cool!" Candace was getting great ideas for her own home when the two women returned with a very elegant older woman at their side. Dr. Pappas was a still a very beautiful woman even in her eighties. Her hair had been cut years ago and it had turned gray but there was no mistaking those high cheekbones and those eyes. "My God. She looks like Xen....and you." Candace whispered to her self. No one heard her except the tall woman standing by her side.

Taylor looked at Candace and then back at their host. It was like looking in a mirror fifty years in the future. Neither one of them knew what to say.

"Welcome to our humble abode, ladies. I am Melinda. Y'all can call me Mel if you like. I hope your flight was a good one." Her southern accent was still a strong as it had been on the day that she had met her life partner, Dr. Janice Covington.

Taylor was positive that if she were around the southern woman for any amount of time her own accent would return with a vengeance. "Yes, ma'am. It was great, thanks to your generosity. I'm Taylor and this is Candace." It had already started.

"Hi. Come on in. Let's get y'all settled. Did you need just one room or shall we make it two?"

The answer came as simultaneous and yet opposite. "One." "Two." The two women looked at each other. "One," Said the blonde. "Two," Said the brunette. "Taylor." "Candace? Can we discuss this later?" "Fine. Two......for now." The little fireball was exasperated with her firefighter but gave in for the time being. She really thought that Taylor was taking this virtuous thing just a little too far. *Either that or she's scared to death. Huh. Join the club.*

"Whatever you prefer. After you have settled in please join me outside by the pool if you like. Put your suits on and relax for a bit. Janice is out with some of her buddies playin' golf. She should be back in an hour or so. We can get ta know each othah in the mean time."

Jamie picked up a couple of bags and led the three women up the stairs. Candace could only carry one bag so it left Taylor and KaeLynn to pick up the remaining luggage. This left the two blondes alone for the most part.

"I thought you two were....ya know... together."

"We have only known each other a little over a week. Seems longer than that though."

"A week, huh? And you haven't moved in together yet?" Both women had a good laugh at the comment. "I would have thought with the way that girl looks at you that you have been together since the dawn of time."

"Yes, well, there are alot of issues involved with us. I just recently lost my partner, so it is making it difficult to move on. There are other things that I just don't have the answers to yet. I'm NOT saying that there is nothing there. Timing it's all timing."

"I'm sorry to hear about your partner. That has got to suck. Break ups are hard."

"We didn't break up. She passed away suddenly." Small lie but what could she say? "Gosh I traveled back in time, became an Amazon, fell in love, got married, came back to my own time period in history, and the woman I loved died two thousand some odd years ago." NOT.

"God, I feel like an idiot. I am really sorry now."

"Jamie, it's alright. I think I am strong enough move on, with Taylor's help that is."

"So, she is important to you?"

Candace thought for a moment before she spoke. She hadn't really assessed her feelings for Taylor. She looked like Xena and had the same heart, but she wasn't Xena. She was Taylor. Funny how things had turned around. Now she knew how the warrior had felt. It had taken quite a bit on Xena's part to let go of Gabrielle enough to love her. It was going to take the same soul and heart searching on her part to do the same. "Yes. She is very important to me. She saved my life. Literally. She pulled me off of the side of a cliff. It's a long story. I'll have to tell you all about it later, but right now I want to get settled in and get some ice on this arm."

"Here we are." The two stepped into a beautifully spacious room.

"Wow! This is GREAT! Check out this bathroom! A sunken tub. I know where I'll be tonight! Good lord, I could live in the closet! NO. Wait! Been there. Done that. Ain't goin back."

Jamie laughed out loud. "Glad you like it! Did you bring a suit?"

"Yeah. I'll change and be down in a few."

"No problem. I'll find a cold pack for you and leave it on the counter in the kitchen. Straight down the stairs though the foyer, turn right at the hall way and you'll run into the kitchen. The great room is right off the kitchen and you can go through the patio doors to get to the pool area. If you get lost use the intercom on the wall and some one will come get you. It's hard to get lost though. All the rooms run together one way or another. See ya in a few."

"Right." *I'm gonna get lost.*

 

=/~~~~~~~~>

Across the hall a dark haired firefighter sat in deep thought on the edge of the bed. She had made a great profession of love to a certain blonde woman just in time to have another invade her mind. One in her heart and one on her mind was one too many in too many places. *Just one in heart, mind and soul. Would that be too much to ask?* She had had visions of the bard before. Throughout her life she had seen the blonde little warrior in her dreams but thought it had been her imagination. Now she had met a woman that could put a name to a face. Candace had described Gabrielle to the point where there could be no denying who she was. But why, why, why was SHE seeing her? She didn't want to tell Candace before she had the answers both of them were searching for. *What is the missing link here? Why am I having visions and dreams of a woman Candace had been so connected to, and what is Gabrielle trying to tell me?* Then there had been her emotional outburst in the limo. That had been uncharacteristic to say the least. She felt full force the pain of losing Candace like she had lost her before and yet she had been on her lap the whole time. *Have I lost my mind? And then the 'I love you thing' She has got to be in full panic mode by now. Damn, that'll scare someone off.* She was beginning to feel a sickness in her stomach from the anxiety. She knew that she and Candace had to talk but what could she say. She wouldn't take back anything she had said. It was all true. 'Alright. Enough. I'm going to the pool. Too much thinking is going to give me a headache and an ulcer.'

Candace finally found her way the pool area without getting lost. She picked up the icepack off of the counter and waltzed out side. Taylor thought she was going to pass out. The woman was strikingly beautiful. Golden hair curved around a kissable neck that turned into perfectly shaped breasts. And her firm well-defined abs were obviously connected to heaven it's self. These facts were not lost on anyone at poolside. In spite of the bright pink cast wrapped in ice the group could do nothing but stare. Jamie and KaeLynn looked at each other to be sure they had eyes only for each other. Both knew a good thing when they saw it and could be appreciative when in was dictated. That was most certainly the case at this point. Mel smiled and pondered how much the girl looked like Jan had at the same age. Her reaction to her lover had been the same then as Taylor's was now, heart palpitations and loss of breath.

"Tayla honey, ya need ta breathe. I know CPR, but really am not in the mood to have to do it right now." Mel had whispered to the tall woman seated next to her so that Candace couldn't hear the comment.

"Right. Breath."

Candace glanced around at all the eyes that were on her and turned to look behind her. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary there, she turned her gaze ahead. "What's wrong? Do I have something on me?" She started to search her body for a foreign object.

"Of course not sweetheart. We're just not used to seeing beauty that is hazardous to our health." The older woman smiled warmly at the blonde goddess. Mel was at an age where she didn't have to be shy in her approach.

"Huh? You've lost me."

"Candace you are simply stunnin' in that suit." A soft smile came to the lips of the Professor.

The blonde woman blushed so red it looked as if she already had the sunburn she would get if she spent too much time in the Arizona sun. "Thank you, Melinda. I think you exaggerate a bit but I appreciate the compliment."

"Candace, she's right. You look Maaaahvalous!" Jamie made light of the moment and made Candace feel more at ease.

"It's just an old thing I brought, but thanks again."

Taylor smirked. She realized that the blonde beauty truly didn't understand the effect she was having on the women around her. Her honest humility made her that much more attractive. The firefighter quietly walked up to the side of her traveling companion and spoke only to her. "Candace, you really look spectacular in the suit, but it's not the suit. It's what's in the suit that is spectacular."

The blonde woman nudged at her partner. "You're a little biased I think, but thank you."

"You really don't get it do you?"

"Get what?"

"You are by far one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. And trust me, I have seen ALOT of women. You out-shine every one of them." Adoration couldn't help but sparkle in sky blue eyes.

"O.K. Whatever you say, dear." It wasn't that she didn't think Taylor thought she looked good, she just thought that Tay was over-stating a tad. "Melinda, this is so wonderful. Thank you for inviting us. But, if I may ask, why did you invite us?"

"We want a look a that scroll for one."

"What makes you think it's real and that we're not lying about it?"

"You're not."

"Uh-huh. And you know this.......how?"

"Honey, if you must know, it's because of you."

The group became suddenly quiet. Jamie thought perhaps they were going to be privy to the answer to the questions she and her lover had posed earlier.

"Me? Why me?"

"Your name deah. Not to mention your looks."

"My looks? But you've never seen me before."

"No, but Xena did."

"Xena. How do you know that?" Candace was shocked. Taylor had no idea what to think let alone say.

Melinda turned to her granddaughter and her lover with a stern look. "You two will NOT breathe a word of this to anyone. DO I make myself CLEAH?"

"Yes, ma'am." Being written out of the will was persuasion enough for them.

"Janice won't mind if I tell you. She's not big on havin' to explain things. Many years ago when we were deciphering the scrolls we ran into what we called discrepancies. There was a time gap in the scrolls of about three or four years...."

"Three."

"Three...where Gabrielle did not author any stories. However, there were some very interesting drawings and a few poems that were sealed with Gabrielle's seal that were NOT in her handwriting. Would you like to see copies of those drawings?"

"Alllllright." Candace thought she knew exactly what the Professor was about to show her.

Melinda retrieved a thick manila envelope from the briefcase that was leaning against her chair. She placed it on the table and motioned for Candace to join her at the table under the sage green umbrella. Candace grabbed Taylor's hand and pulled her along to the table as well.

"Go ahead. Take a look. See if you can tell what they are."

A small hand reached out in hesitation and slid the envelope towards her. She opened the flap and removed the contents. Several sheets of copy-paper came out and Candace looked at what those papers held.

"My drawings."

"It took us forever to figure out what that was."

"Sign language."

"Not just sign language. American Sign Language with an Amazon twist. It really was you wasn't it?"

"Yeah. And these aren't poems. They're songs I wrote. Well, with Gabrielle's help"

"See, now this is where it all gets confusin'. How did you get there and how did you come to join with Xena? How did Gabrielle help you with a song. Why would she let you marry her wife? AND how did you get back. And where did you find Taylor? She's part of this somehow. That's why she has the scroll."

"Do you want me to answer all of those questions now or shall we wait for Dr. Covington to get here."

"Lord A'mighty! That woman will be playin' golf at her own funeral. Yes, let's wait. She'd have my hide if I let you tell the story while she's gone. I don't ask the right questions ya' know. Humph. Wrong questions my ass." It seems that Mel had learned to use an occasional swear word over the years.

"So, you knew who Candace was before we got here?" Taylor now realized that Candace had indeed lived with the Amazon's and had in fact married Xena. There was now corroborating evidence. For some reason jealousy struck her. Her Candace in the arms of someone else, dead or not, was not setting well with her. Of course if they were alive they wouldn't be for long.

"When you told us you thought you had a Xena scroll we figured it was a fake then you mentioned Candace by name and that changed our way of thinkin. There was a hint in some later scrolls, that she would one-day turn up in the future, but we figured it was a tale made up by Gabrielle. It was cryptic to say the least so we weren't sure. How far in the future was hard to tell with the drawings it looked to be the 1980's to any time in the future say 2010. It's funny we had to wait almost thirty years before most of this started to make sense. Languages change so much and so fast that we literally had to wait for the language to develop to where it is now so we could pin point a period of time. We narrowed it down with lots of research in ASL. When certain signs existed and when they came to be added to the vocabulary. The extra "Amazon" signs threw a wrench in the works but we figured most of them out. You were very ingenious. Why did you teach Amazons to sign?"

"That's a part of the story.."

"Hell yes, that's part of the story. Melinda why are you grilling her now? You promised you wouldn't get into this unless I was here. You know you don't ask the right questions." Dr. Covington was not pleased with the conversation in anyway.

"Hi, to you too, my love. You're early."

"Ah. I'm sorry Mel. You know I want to get to the bottom of this as much as you do, just let ME ask the questions., OK?"

"All due respect Doctor, she was grilling me just fine." Candace felt the Covington green eyed stare boring into her. She returned the stare with a searing look of her own.

There was definite tension floating around the pool area until Dr. Covington broke the silence. "I'll be damned, you got balls. I like ya already."

"I didn't spend a year with Xena and the Amazons and not learn to stand up for myself and what's right. Those women were big on honor, man. It was amazing. People who do what they say without question. You don't find that much anymore."

"No, I guess not. You may have stood up to me but you also stood up for my love there. That's a hard spot to be in. But, she means more to me than anything, so thanks for coming to her defense, even if it meant that I had to be put in my place. It was....honorable." The older woman smiled at Candace and nodded her head. "Not to change the subject , but is anybody hungry besides me?"

"I am famished." They hadn't eaten much on the flight and Candace's stomach was beginning to think her throat had been cut.

"Imagine that." Taylor knew she would get in trouble for the comment but it was worth it. She loved nothing better than giving Candace a hard time. Well, almost nothing.

"My comment exactly, Taylah. I sweah I have never seen a single person put away as much food a Jan. I am curious to see which of the two has a bigger appetite."

"I'd be willing to bet on Candace."

"You say that now, but wait 'til we've seen them side by side. I might have to take a loan out on the house to keep us in food while you girls are here."

The tall women had good laugh going when they were interrupted by a pair of blonde woman who were not pleased with the way the conversation was turning. "S'cuse me! Not amused Taylor."

"Nor am I Professor!"

"Lighten up my love. We were just funnin."

"Yeah, babe. I didn't mean anything by it." Taylor pulled the green eyed woman into her arms and planted a kiss on the top of her head.

"You could get away with murder with that move." Candace looked up at her firefighter with adoration shining in her emerald eyes.

The firefighter was having a hard time controlling her libido with a very desirable, half naked woman in her arms. *This has got to give somewhere.*

"Enough of the "Mutual Admiration Society" you two. I brought steaks home to grill and got us some beer. I'll get the grill started while you girls swim. Anyone for a beer?"

"I'd love one." The firefighter was definitely needing to cool off, in more ways than one.

"Me too."

"Make mine a double."

"Can't, I'm on call." The response brought looks of interest from the two Colorado women.

"She's a doctor." KaeLynn spoke with a great deal of pride making her partner blush.

"Wow! Brains and looks. Lucky girl!" Candace nudged KaeLynn and gave her a knowing look.

Melinda was amused by the conversation and grinned slightly. She looked to her lover who always swelled up anytime she got to show off her granddaughter. This time was no exception. "I think I'll stick with iced tea for now, sweetheart."

"Suit yourself, sweets." Jan leaned over and kissed her life long companion. There may be wrinkles around aging eyes but they still shone with the passion and love that was kindled so many years ago.

The evening turned into a regular summer time barbecue. The company and conversation were stimulating. By the time the evening had cooled off, the food was gone and the beer was running a close second. "Ladies, shall we retire to the great room? I believe it is time for some coffee and some story tellin' ala' Candace."

The professor led the way inside. Candace started to pick up some of the things on the patio up but was interrupted by a warm hand on her arm. "Hey, we have people to do that. Don't worry about it. Take a load off over there with your woman. Ya know, you're on vacation."

The blonde stared blankly into eyes that were almost the color of her own. Candace shouldn't have been surprised to know that the Dr. and Melinda had a cleaning crew, but it took her a moment to let it sink in. Janice waved a hand in front of her eyes to bring her back to reality. "You in there?"

Candace shook her head and came out of her trance. "Yeah. I'm here. I'm not used to the thought of servants."

"They're not servants, Blondie. We pay someone to clean the house. Simple as that. She and her crew have been working for us for 8 or 9 years now. They are just like family. All I can say is you should get used to it. Your scroll is worth a very large fortune."

"It's not mine. It's Taylor's."

"Well, from what I've seen, the wedding isn't far down the road. And what's hers is yours then." The Doctor was never at a loss for when to leave a party speechless. She had dropped the bomb and it was time to leave before it exploded in her face.

Candace stood on the patio in silence. *Wedding? MARRIAGE?* Panic was slowly setting in. The comment had hit her like a Peterbuilt. Fear gripped her stomach. *I don't want to do that again. No way. No way!. The end sucks!*

Mel saw through the glass the look on the girl's face and knew her lover was a party to it. She grasped her companion by the hand and led her into the kitchen for a private conversation and some scolding if the situation called for it. "Janice Covington! What on earth did you say to that poor girl?"

"Nothin."

Melinda was not pleased with the answer and stared at her partner to let her know she was not fooling her in the least. "Janice you had best tell me what has her so upset, or you'll be banished to the guest room for life!"

"I just might have, maybe, said that it could be that somewhere down the road..."

"JANICE!"

"Alright. I told her I thought Taylor wanted to marry her. But, Mel, jeez, I figured she knew. I mean it's so obvious."

"You didn't!"

"I did."

"H-E-double toothpicks! I am going to go out there and try to save this thing. You keep your mouth shut and your nose out of this! Got IT?" Janice sheepishly nodded that she had indeed gotten it. "They are not together yet and something like this could scare the poor thing off. I have a feeling she is a little fragile right now, about what I don't know, but the way she looks it can't be good."

Melinda strutted out of the room ahead of Janice and walked quietly on to the patio where Candace stood. "Honey? You alright?"

"Yeah, Mel. Yeah. I'm good. I'm good." She repeated herself in an attempt to convince herself of the truth of the statement.

"I know what Janice said to you. Let me give you a little advice. Don't worry about a future that you have no control over. Jan has a tendency to speak before thinkin'. She doesn't know for sure what is in Tayla's heart. So don't worry about it. "

"So you think she doesn't want me?" She wasn't sure if she liked the sound of that any better than marriage.

"Candace, you are trying to make things black and white. There is an in between here that you are missin'. There is no doubt that Tayla has deep feelin's about you and for you, but I am not sure that those feelin's are leadin' to marriage at this moment. You are tryin' to go too fast so you can run away just as fast. Don't self-destruct! You know that she is heya for a reason. You just don't know what that reason is yet. Don't run before you have had a chance to find out."

"I'm not going to run, but if I think about marriage anymore I will most assuredly throw up."

"I certainly don't want that. Please, go have a seat next to her. I think she is missin' your company."

Candace nodded and strolled over to where her friend was stretched out on of the couches in the large room. Taylor grinned with beautiful white teeth at the vision striding towards her. *Now that is one hot woman. I am a lucky dog!* She sat up so that Candace could sit next to her. Taylor held out a hand and Candace accepted it and cuddled into her as she sat down. The panic that had over taken her subsided the second she felt the tall woman's touch. *What is wrong with me? This person is sweet, loving and kind not to mention good looking. I'm pathetic.*

At that moment her thoughts were halted by the invitation of much needed coffee. When the women had their beverages and were seated comfortably all eyes turned to Candace. Who once again felt discomfort at being the center of attention.

"Yeeees?"

"I believe you have a story to share with us." The doctor was slightly soft in her request for fear of retribution. Janice hoped the slight blonde would forgive her the previous indiscretion. The good doctor wasn't sure if Candace blamed her or not, but hoped all had been repaired by her partner.

The signer/singer looked up in to green eyes and without malice agreed.

"Alright. But if I cry...."

"If you cry, we will understand." Taylor spoke soft words into a crown of golden hair. She meant what she said. In spite of how Taylor felt about Candace having been with someone else she knew the feelings Candace had were closely guarded and very deep.

"Thanks. OK here goes..."

Candace spent the next two and a half-hours telling her story and answering a barrage of questions. With the exception of Xena's appearance in Mel, the two archeologists had never had such true to life details about the warrior and the bard. Not to mention the Amazons.

"But none of this explains why you came back here. Didn't you say that Gabrielle told you would become one person when all was said and done. That in itself sounds odd, but here you are. Maybe you did stay as Gabrielle and just don't know it."

"No. I was sent back on my wedding night of all things." There was along pause as Candace collected her emotions. She was determined NOT to cry even as her eyes brimmed with tears. "Hang on a minute."

Candace got up from the couch and went into the powder room. To say this was difficult, was a major understatement. *I can do this.* She looked up at her in the mirror. The woman she saw staring back at her was different than the one that had left so long ago and yet only a couple of weeks had passed. The same nagging questions returned to her. *Gab? Why? Why did I come back.* She was hoping for answers that she knew couldn't be found. There was only a fleeting moment days ago that gave her even a clue and it was so cryptic she had all but forgotten about it. *All that I am, you are. What the hell did that mean? We are alot alike in many ways, but ALL that she was? I need answers! Dammit Gabrielle! I need answers!* She was met with unending silence. *The scroll. I hope the answers are in the scroll. If not I'll end up in lock-down somewhere. Alright, enough of this. Out I go before they send in a rescue team.*

Everyone tried as best they could to be nonchalant and avoid staring at the blonde as she emerged from her retreat. She sat back down next to a very concerned Taylor and placed a hand on the tall woman's thigh. Blue eyes peered at her asking if she was O.K.. Candace patted the tanned leg beneath her hand and whispered that she was fine.

"Where was I?"

"The night you were sent back."

Melinda glared at her partner. Janice felt the gaze shrugged and mouthed, "What?" in defense of her statement. The professor couldn't believe the insensitivity of her partner sometimes. Melinda knew though, that Janice really wasn't aware of it.

"Right. Thanks. I came to, hanging off of a cliff face. Taylor rescued me. Anyway, if I had know that it was going to turn out the way it did I never would have gone."

"I can see your point, but then you never would have met your firefighter here." Jamie trying to help Candace to see that something very good indeed had come out of the situation. The blonde may not be in a position yet to see it, but it was only a matter of time.

"True. Very true." She didn't have another comment though she knew that the group was expecting one. She enjoyed Taylor's company very much and she felt a connection between them, but there were too many unanswered questions. She wanted so desperately to speak to Gabrielle just one more time. Maybe then there would be some closure. She knew that would never happen but maybe, just maybe Gabrielle could speak to her. "Dr. Covington, how long do you think it will take you to translate the scroll?"

"Well, that depends. The little bard loved to mix it up with different languages and codes, but probably a day or two. With my wife's help that is. She's the expert on deciphering "Gabrielleese". Aren't you, honey?"

"Yes, deah."

"Candace, just one more question that you didn't hit on. The deaf girl and her mother, did that work out?"

"Oh yeah! It was an amazing transformation. The whole community was learning sign before I...left. Mik was apprenticing to the blacksmith. Her mom was a BIG girl and she was bound to be too. She couldn't let that size go to waste. I am sure she made a huge contribution to the nation. I hope she did."

"Ladies. It is late and I am old. I am goin' ta bed. We'll start on the scroll tomorrow. While we are doing that maybe ya'll would like to play tourist. I can have one of the girls drive you around if you like."

"Grama, I have rounds tomorrow and then I go in to the office for a while. Do you have plans, Hon?"

"I didn't, but I think I do now. What's say around eleven, if you want."

"I think that sounds great. If I recall the Botanic Garden is great this time of year. Of course it will be hot, but we can decide tomorrow. Taylor? What do you think?"

"I think we should just let KaeLynn drive us wherever her heart desires."

"Works for me!"

"Shall we?" Jamie looked at her lover and then pointed with her chin in the direction of the front door.

"Let's shall."

"Good night all. It was a pleasure to meet the both of you. Have fun with my wife tomorrow and keep her out of trouble, if you don't mind."

"She isn't the one you have to worry about, eh Candace?"

"Are you saying that you think I am a trouble maker?"

"Nooo. Of course not."

"Good! I wouldn't want to have to use any pressure points on you."

"Pressure point?"

"Yeah. You know 'I've cut off the flow of blood to you're brain and you only have 30 seconds to live.'"

"Xena?" It was only a guess, but Taylor had a knack for all things Xena.

"Good guess! She taught me the skill for medical purposes only! I could be tempted to use them other ways so you best be careful."

"Always, my sweet. Always." Taylor definitely knew she would be in her best behavior......for now.

"Anywayyyyy, good night. It was great meeting you also."

Jamie gave her grandmothers a peck on the cheek each and headed out followed closely by her lover.

"Be safe, deah. We'll see you tomorrow, KaeLynn."

"G'night, Professor. Dr. Jan."

"Night guys."

````````````````````````

After all the good nights were said it wasn't long before Candace stood in the doorway of her room talking quietly with a tall dark haired firefighter.

"Are you sure you're ok? I know how difficult it is for you to tell that story. I honestly think the longer you have to think about it the harder it gets."

"I'm fine, Tay. I won't say that it doesn't hurt because it does. But the biggest problem I have is that there are no answers. Did Gabrielle lie to me just to get back to Xena? It doesn't seem her way. Did the Gods lie to her? And your scroll, I hope to God that there is at least SOMETHING in there. I just want to know why. Why? Ya know?"

Taylor took the broken woman in her arms and gave her all the tender comfort she could. She didn't know when the answers would come to her companion. Perhaps they never would, but she prayed that one-day either way she would be able to heal and move on.

"Try to get some sleep, O.K.?"

"Yeah. Good night."

"Can I kiss you?"

Candace grinned in a soft way. This was by far the sweetest person she had ever met. Xena had been nice, but in an "I am a mighty warrior" kinda way. Taylor had a kind spirit and the blonde woman knew she would always be safe with her. She suddenly realized that Taylor would never hurt her, on the contrary, Taylor would always try to make sure that nothing else would bring her hurt or pain. How she knew this she wasn't going to begin to explore tonight. She felt protected with her firefighter and it was a security she was familiar with, she just didn't know it.

"Of course you CAN. Very well I might add. I think the question here is MAY you?"

"I will never learn! May I kiss you like only I can?"

"Mighty sure of yourself, aren't you?"

"Yeah." Taylor, tired of talking about it took Candace in her arms and placed a sweet and tender kiss on the lips of the blonde. "I know you're hurting. I also know there is not one thing I can do to make it better. Just know that I am here for you. That is so trite, but I mean it. If you want to talk or just sit I'm right across the hall. K.?

"O.K. This has got to just suck for you. It confuses the hell out of me." Candace wanted to reassure the blue eyed woman before her that she hadn't forgotten the conversation in the limo earlier in the day, but what words would suffice, she didn't know. "Taylor, I like you. NO. I more than like you but I need some kind of answers before I can move ahead. Be patient with me."

"Candace, I didn't tell you how I feel because I want to pressure you. I told you because I thought I was going to explode if I didn't. I have waited this long for you. What's a little while longer going to hurt?"

The short woman let out an audible sigh. She didn't realize that she had indeed been feeling pressured.

"Candace, take all the time you need. I can promise you I am not going anywhere. I feel a connection to you I can't begin to explain and I wouldn't give that up for anything."

"Thank you. It means alot to me." She pulled the taller woman into a tighter embrace and allowed herself to just relax in Taylor's arms. The sound of gentle breathing and a strong heartbeat eased her into a gentle state. "Alright, that's enough." Candace stole another kiss and pulled out of Taylor's' arms. "Now! Go to bed!"

"Goodnight, my love." Taylor bent her dark head one more time to feel those soft lips press to hers. It was a feeling she knew she would never tire of.

=/~~~~~~~~~~~>

Continued - Part 4

 


Return to The Bard's Corner - Kandis Glasgow