Content Warning:

Chapter 34 contains graphic references to sexual situations containing children. I have limited them to only those which I believe are intrinsic to the story and have tried to limit the explicit content as well.

chapter twenty-five

"Sloan?" Rebecca queried, glancing at the pages. "What's the background here?"

"Let me see." She read the notations from the log Mitchell had generated with her indexing program that were printed across the top of each sheet. "These are segments of conversations that took place in a private chat room reached by way of an open bulletin board. The main site is trafficked by kids and adults—no real way to tell anyone's age because even when they say, it might not be true. Many pedophiles pretend to be teenagers until they have established a relationship with a kid, and even then, may never reveal their true age. At any rate, this site is known for lots of chat and a lot of invitations to go private for sex. The room where these transcripts are from is frequented exclusively by men who have a taste for young girls—eleven to fourteen mostly. Invite only. You have to be sponsored."

"How did Jason get in then?"

Sloan grinned, a predatory grin without a hint of humor. "We hacked in. Easy. Jason's persona is BigMac10."

"Creative," Rebecca said wryly.

"These guys aren't subtle."

 

Transcript One – Excerpt

 

BigMac10: Hey, man. Saw you with KewlChic12 over on the main board. Did you score

LongJohnXXX: Oh, yeah. Sweet

BigMac10: Wish I coulda been there

LongJohnXXX : Where were you? Watching?

BigMac10: LOL. Yeah – until you went private

LongJohnXXX: You get off on that?

BigMac10: Watching?

LongJohnXXX: Yeah

BigMac10: Every chance I get

 

Transcript Two – Excerpt

 

LongJohnXXX: Back again, huh, buddy

BigMac10: Can't stay away. Such fine company

LongJohnXXX: Still watching?

BigMac10: Whenever I can

LongJohnXXX: Got flash to trade?

BigMac10: Stills don't do it for me

LongJohnXXX: Know what you mean. I like 'em moving You?

BigMac10: Moving and screaming. Oh yeah

 

"Jesus," Rebecca murmured. "He is good."

"Yeah," Sloan said quietly. "And it doesn't come easy."

Rebecca glanced at her, but said nothing. She understood standing up for your partner. She returned to reading.

 

Transcript three – Excerpt

 

LongJohnXXX: Hey, BM10 – any action on the boards?

BigMac10: Just talk out there

LongJohnXXX: Kids stuff

BigMac10: Yeah

LongJohnXXX: How long you been lurking?

BigMac10: Few weeks here Been around HotRods before that

LongJohnXXX: You sharing the line?

BigMac10: No – all mine. Home alone

 

Transcript Four – Excerpt

 

BigMac10: welcome

LongJohnXXX: Evening watchman

BigMac10: Not much to see here tonight

LongJohnXXX: Second hand pickings, huh

BigMac10: Insufficient for a man of quality

LongJohnXXX: Quality costs

BigMac10: Not an object – for the right merchandise

LongJohnXXX: You looking to buy

BigMac10: Maybe if the stuff is prime

 

 

"And then this from last night—early this morning, I should say,"" Catherine remarked, pointing to the last entry. 

 

Transcript Five - Excerpt

 

LongJohnXXX: Yo-BM10. You lurking?

BigMac10: here

LongJohnXXX: How'd you do?

BigMac10: How so?

LongJohnXXX: Don't be a cock tease. HotChic13

BigMac10: <g> Now who's watching

LongJohnXXX: yeah – so give

BigMac10: she blew me off

LongJohnXXX: Whoa – for real?

BigMac10: No, man – she went private then backed out. Left me high and hard

LongJohnXXX: Bummer. No sure thing in cyberspace

BigMac10: yeah – not like RL

LongJohnXXX: The real thing is sweet

BigMac10: But hard to come by

LongJohnXXX: depends on who you know

BigMac10: yeah – I'm available<g>

 

"This guy has potential," Sloan agreed. "He sounds like he's getting ready to offer Jas- uh, BigMac something."

"And he's mentioned watching a half dozen times," Mitchell pointed out. "Could be he's brokering the real time feeds."

"There's a problem," Rebecca remarked with a frown.

"What?" Catherine asked in surprise. "Surely it can't be entrapment?"

"No--trouble for Jason."

"You want to spell that out?" Sloan asked, her voice suddenly edged with flint.

Rebecca regarded Mitchell for a moment. Mitchell squared her shoulders, set her jaw, and stared back. Clearly, she was not going to leave until ordered.

"How many of Jason's chats do we have recorded, Mitchell? Logged in somewhere."

"All of them," the young officer replied immediately. That had been part of her assignment, and she was very thorough.

"That's what I figured." Rebecca rolled her shoulders, then faced Sloan, whose eyes had grown hard. "Jason could be in trouble if he's been soliciting sex from minors on the internet, even in the course of an investigation. And these transcripts need to go into anything I take to the DA for a warrant."

"Soliciting sex?" Sloan said, her surprise evident.

"The interaction mentioned here with HotChic13," Rebecca clarified, waving the last page. "Is that recorded somewhere also?"

"Yep." Sloan's grin reappeared. "Every red hot word."

"Well then—"

"Except," Sloan added, "I'm HotChic13,"

Mitchell coughed. "Uh, and I'm PhillyFilly11. BigMac10's other cybersex partner."

Catherine laughed. Rebecca fixed Mitchell with a hard stare. "Redefining your assignment, Officer?"

"No, ma'am. Just—expanding it."

Sloan looked for a moment as if she were going to come to Mitchell's defense, then though better of it. You didn't get between a superior officer and an underling. Not and keep the superior officer as an ally, or a friend.

"Just remember you're a cop, Mitchell. Accountability is part of the job."

Sloan smothered a smile. She was willing to bet there were a dozen things a day that Frye never reported and would deny any knowledge of. But she appreciated her keeping her rookie on the straight path. "We'll desist using her, Sergeant, if you think it's a problem."

"No," Rebecca responded. "Go ahead as you've been. But she doesn't make contact with anyone else."

"Roger," Sloan said with a half-smile. "So," she continued, turning to Catherine. "You think this LongJohn guy's our best bet so far?"

"It certainly looks as if he's pumping Jason for the right kinds of information."

"Should we be a little more aggressive with him then?" Sloan asked. "Lead him a little?"

Catherine nodded thoughtfully. "Try to run into him tonight. I'd think it would be understandable if Ja...BigMac were curious after their last exchange and asked about real life opportunities."

"Can you stay for a while and monitor the chats in case we get a hit?" Sloan inquired of the psychiatrist.

"Certainly."

"Good. I'll advise Jason of the plan so he can start trawling that board."

Sloan left with Mitchell close behind. Catherine regarded Rebecca with a soft smile.

"You like Mitchell, don't you?"

"Why do you say that," Rebecca replied, an eyebrow arched in surprise.

"You're hard on people you like."

Rebecca winced. "On you, too?"

"No," Catherine moved closer and rested her hand on Rebecca's arm. "I didn't mean it that way."

"I've missed you," Rebecca confessed, feeling her entire body sway toward Catherine like a flower to sunlight. "Can I take you home later?" At Catherine's look of hesitation, she added quickly, "I'll just drive you home. I won't stay or--"

"Oh, Rebecca," Catherine said quietly, a too familiar note of sadness in her voice. "Don't you know how much I've missed you, too? Do you think I don't want you?"

"I just didn't want you to think I meant...that all I wanted..." Rebecca swore sharply, then leaned the last few inches and kissed her gently. After a very long minute, she lifted her mouth away and murmured, "It's not just about sex. That's all I meant."

"Are you going out tonight?" Catherine asked, stepping back so she could think clearly.

"I'll be back in a few hours."

"I'll be here."

*****

Rebecca waited across the street from the all night Gateway Diner on the corner of 13th and Locust. The early September night was chilly, and she hunched her shoulders inside her worn leather jacket. Secluded in the shadows beneath the awning of a shoe repair store, she watched the parade going in and out through the revolving doors. Some were bar patrons who had left the neighborhood watering holes in search of something to eat before wending their way home; some were prostitutes of both genders taking a break from working the streets or just socializing with friends, and some were merely lonely people with nowhere else to be and no one waiting for them to be there. At 1:15, as Sandy's message had said, the young blond approached walking north on 13th and, a moment later, she joined Rebecca in the shadows.

"Hey," Sandy said. Dressed in a short black leather skirt, open-toed high heeled sandals, a pale scoop neck top that outlined her high firm breasts, and a thin jacket that clearly wasn't providing any warmth, she shivered visibly and wrapped her arms around herself as if to ward off the night.

"You're gonna have to start covering up if you don't want to freeze your assets off," Rebecca remarked.

"If they can't see it, they don't buy it," Sandy rejoined.

Rebecca glanced out into the street, knowing that the occupants of the cars slowly crawling by were cruising the sidewalks for hookers or hustlers, looking for a few minutes of company. "Did you ever think of getting into another line of work?"

"Yeah. Except no one seems to be hiring nuclear physicists at the moment. You know, space travel ain't what it used to be."

"There are programs available," Rebecca said quietly. "Places you could get job training or--"

"Frye, if you keep on with this social work talk you're really gonna scare me. Now do you want the information I've got for you, or not?" Sandy had no intention of discussing her choices with the tall blond cop. For one thing, it was none of her business. For another, the quiet concern in Frye's voice bothered her and she didn't want to think about exactly why. When people cared about you, they ended up owning a little piece of you. She didn't want anyone to have even the smallest hold on her. Because then she was vulnerable.

Rebecca blew out a breath and rolled her shoulders, wondering what the hell she was trying to do. Sandy had probably been a runaway, most likely running from abuse, like the majority of young kids on the streets. Not all of them, she reminded herself, thinking of Anthony DeCarlo's teenage daughter who had left home to punish her parents--an act of adolescent rebellion that had almost cost her life. But most of them arrived on buses or made their way into the city by hitchhiking, only to end up sleeping ten to a room and selling themselves in one way or another for a meal, or drugs, or merely some human connection. Sandy had made a choice for survival, and she had used her wits and whatever else she had to make that happen. As far as Rebecca knew, the young woman wasn't using drugs and she wasn't selling herself at truck stops or under bridges in the underbelly of the city. She had a decent apartment and it looked like she was eating well and taking care of herself. If she was using her body to make a life for herself, there were worse things she could've done. And no matter what she was doing, Sandy was a source of information and that was all. Rebecca finally replied, "Yeah, tell me what you've got."

"Let's go somewhere and get a drink. I'm freezing out here."

A few minutes later they were seated at a back table in the Two Four Club, an after hours place that catered to a mixed clientele whose only common bond was that they didn't want to go home until they had no other choice. Rebecca walked to the bar and asked for a cup of coffee for herself and a beer for Sandy. The bartender grimaced at her request, but poured lethal looking liquid into a styrofoam cup and passed it to her across the bar. She carried the cup and Sandy's bottled beer back to the table, then fished four folded twenties out of her jeans and put them underneath Sandy's beer bottle.

"I know a girl who made some movies." Sandy deftly extracted the bills and slid them into a pocket under the waistband of her skirt.

"Name. When and where. Details. "

Sandy shook her head. "First of all, who she is isn't going to help you and I'm not telling you. I know what she knows. Take it or leave it."

"Give me what you got." Pressing wouldn't help. Sandy was unyielding about protecting her friends.

"She says she and two other girls had sex with three or four guys."

"And that's news?"

"Well, it is when somebody's filming it for some kind of live TV."

"What do you mean by live?" Rebecca's pulse quickened.

"She says one guy told them that everything they said and did was going to be viewed just like prime time television right when it was happening, so to be careful not to use their own names." Sandy sipped her beer, then continued with an expression of loathing on her face. "And to make sure they, you know, spoke up."

"Why?" Rebecca asked.

"He gave them a...what do you call it...script to look over before they started filming. But apparently it wasn't much, just a list of things to say, you now...the usual..."

"Give me a for instance."

"The things guys like to hear. Oh baby, you're so big. It feels so good. Don't hurt me. Hurt me. Don't come in my mouth. Come all over me." Sandy looked past Rebecca at some vision only she could see. "That kind of thing."

"Did your friend say who they were, describe the men in any way to you?"

Sandy shook her head again. "No names. She went along as a substitute for some chick who usually did it but couldn't make it because her boyfriend'd put her in the hospital. Says she didn't even know the other girls she was with very well."

"How old were they?" Rebecca asked quietly. Under the table, her hands were balled into fists and she ignored the desire to break something.

"13, 15 and 16. But they all look about 12, especially if they dress for the part."

"Christ."

Sandy watched something very close to fury flicker across the starkly handsome planes of Frye's face. There it was again, that undercurrent of concern that touched something in Sandy that she didn't want to be awakened. It happened when she was with Dell, too. Even just being around Dell made it happen. Made her feel connected. "What?" she asked, realizing that Frye was speaking.

"Did she tell you where this was?" Rebecca repeated.

"Two different places--and apparently the girls don't know where it's going to be until that night. Someone picks them up and takes them there and it's all very, you know, Mission Impossible. Darkened windows in the van, that kind of thing. A warehouse is all she told me." She finished her beer and pushed the bottle aside. "I'm pretty sure it's in the city though, because she said it wasn't more than half an hour and it seemed like they were driving in circles for quite a while."

Rebecca felt the familiar thrill of the hunt. This was a real lead. "She give you anything else?"

"Uh uh. Just that she did two of them--one was about six months ago and the other three weeks ago."

"How often do these live films get made?"

"She's not sure." Sandy began gathering her things. "Look, I can probably find out more. I just thought you'd want to know about this operation."

"You did plenty," Rebecca said seriously. "I'll take it from here." She'd have Watts get with someone from juvie and pull the files on all the girls under 17 known to be turning tricks and still on the streets. One of them would know someone who'd been in on one of these shoots. The community was too close for this to be a secret. Eventually a location or a name or a description would pop up.

"I could pass, Frye," Sandy said quietly. "I do it all the time."

"What?" Rebecca asked sharply, her attention suddenly completely focused.

"For 14 or 15. If I send out the word that I want in—"

She should do it. She should use her. It was probably a better avenue to whoever was behind the whole operation than waiting for Sloan and Jason to sift through hundreds of pedophiles in hopes of finding one who could open a door for them.

"No. You're done with this." She stood, shrugging into her jacket. "Thanks."

"Hey, Frye?" Sandy asked casually. "Who's Catherine anyway?"

Rebecca regarded her expressionlessly for a long moment, then smiled. A brief, quicksilver smile. "Anybody ever tell you you ask too many questions?"

Than she was gone, leaving Sandy grinning at her back.

 

CHAPTER TWENTYSIX

When Rebecca returned to Sloan Security, she found Jason, Sloan, and Catherine crowded around the large central work station while messages scrolled on three of the four computer monitors simultaneously. Glancing over Jason's shoulder, she asked, "Any progress?"

"Lots of action," Sloan responded as Jason continued to chat electronically with someone by the name of Everhard1040. "No sign of LongJohnXXX yet."

“Mitchell go home?”

“Under duress,” Sloan said with a laugh. “She’s been here since eight yesterday morning, so I told her to take off.”

It was 1:30 in the morning, and Rebecca felt the dull edge of fatigue beginning to cloud her brain. She shook herself mentally, annoyed that she still didn't seem able to function at full speed. "How long are you going to keep at it?"

"A while longer," Jason muttered. "He might still show up."

"Catherine, I think you can probably call it a night," Sloan said with a sigh. "We'll keep an eye on things here a while longer."

"If you get anything that looks promising," Rebecca said, "call me. As soon as we have something solid, I want to take this to my Captain and start discussing what we'll need for a warrant."

"You might as well start the wheels moving—you know how long the DA’s office takes to make a decision. At the very least, we're going to need to confiscate any computer equipment we find so I can work on it back here," Sloan advised with an optimism Rebecca did not share. "Once I have just one CPU that’s been receiving these live feeds, I can start tracing where the broadcasts are coming from."

"We'll probably need your crime scene techs on the scene to log everything we find and remove also," Jason remarked, his eyes still fixed on the constantly changing messages and occasionally typing a message himself.

"Fine. I was planning on giving my Captain an update tomorrow. I'll call you in the morning before I meet with him if I don't hear from you first."

"Good enough," Sloan agreed.

Bending down, Rebecca murmured to Catherine, "Are you ready to leave?"

"Yes." She was used to dealing with people—emotions--in the intimate confines of therapy, one on one, face to face. Watching the disembodied phrases stream across the screen, knowing that somewhere there was a person attached to them, but having no sense of who that person truly was, disturbed and disoriented her. It left her with a compelling need to feel connected, to see and be seen. “More than ready.”

*****

"Is your car here?" Rebecca asked as they stepped out onto the deserted street. Sloan's building faced the river one block west of Front Street, the busy thoroughfare which ran along the waterfront, but at this hour, no one was about.

"Yes, I'm parked just down the block," Catherine informed her, "but I'll probably come back to review more transcripts some time tomorrow, so I don't mind leaving it here overnight."

"Fine. I can swing by and pick you up at your place in the morning before I go in to see the boss." Rebecca unlocked the passenger door of the Corvette and held it open for Catherine. After walking around to the driver’s side, she slid in behind the wheel and reached to put the keys in the ignition. Catherine's soft touch on her wrist stilled her motion. Turning to face her passenger, she said quietly, "What is it?"

"Let's go to your apartment."

"My apartment?" Rebecca said, startled.

"Yes. It occurred to me over the last few days that all of our time together has been spent at my place. I don't know where you go when you leave me."

Rebecca was still for a long moment, then she said in a low voice heavy with feeling, "When I'm not with you, Catherine, I'm either working or waiting to be with you again."

Catherine smiled fondly, struck by how Rebecca's simple words stirred her so much. Insistently, she said, "I want to see where you sleep. I want to be able to imagine you there when I'm in bed alone." She didn't add out loud, I want to be able to imagine you somewhere other than Sandy's apartment--or a hospital bed.

"Okay. I have to warn you, though, it's the maid's week off."

Catherine laughed and settled back into the bucket seat. "I promise not to look under the bed."

From Sloan's, Rebecca drove south on Third Street into Queen Village, a pocket of small row houses and restaurants sandwiched between the newly trendy South Street business district and South Philadelphia, the historically working-class Irish and Italian area. Ten minutes later they were climbing the stairs to Rebecca's second floor apartment above a mom-and-pop grocery store which had been owned by the same family for over fifty years. Rebecca tried frantically to remember exactly what condition she had left her apartment in, but she drew a blank. She so very rarely paid attention to her surroundings when she was home. It was a place to sleep and make coffee and shower before going back to her real home, the city streets. After unlocking the door, she pushed it open and said, "Come on in."

Catherine stepped through and waited for Rebecca, who pulled the door closed, bolted it, and flicked on a wall switch to her right. After her eyes adjusted to the light, Catherine looked around, smiling to herself when she found that the apartment was very close to the way she had envisioned it. One large living room with a door to the left that opened into a small kitchen and another on the right that most likely led to the bedroom and bath. A utilitarian sofa with the requisite coffee table in front of it, a very nice stereo set with a layer of dust coating it that suggested that it rarely saw any use, and a high-end television comprised the furnishings. An end table supported a haphazard stack of paperbacks and a gym bag lay open on the floor to her left, apparently having been abandoned there after Rebecca removed her soiled work out clothes. It looked like a bachelor apartment which, of course, was what it was.

"As I said," Rebecca began in an apologetic tone, "it's not much to look at --"

"No," Catherine said. "It seems very much like you. Utilitarian, and a little bit..." she quirked an eyebrow, grinning at Rebecca, "Spartan."

"Spartan, huh?" Rebecca laughed, too, and began to relax. "Can I get you something? I've got soda, I think, and..." her voice trailed off as she followed Catherine's gaze.

"Is that yours?" Catherine asked quietly, her tone carefully neutral. Her heart was pounding furiously, but she knew that her voice sounded calm. That was the benefit of years of training.

Rebecca stared at the half empty bottle of Johnnie Walker Black on her coffee table. "Yes."

"Are you drinking?" It terrified her more than she would have ever dreamed to think of Rebecca in any kind of trouble, physically or emotionally. If she were drinking again, then something was very wrong. To find that something that serious could be happening to someone she loved and that she wouldn't even know, wouldn't even suspect, made her wonder what exactly had happened to the two of them. How could they have drifted so far part? "Rebecca?" Catherine asked again into the silence.

Rebecca took a deep breath. "No, I'm not."

"But you bought it?"

"Yes. I did. Four nights ago." She shrugged out of her jacket and released the clasp on her shoulder holster, removing it and stowing it in its customary spot on top of the bookcase next to the door to her bedroom. Turning, she asked, "Can I take your jacket?"

Catherine simply nodded and slipped it from her shoulders. Approaching Rebecca, she held it out in one hand. Rebecca took it and carefully placed it on a hanger in the small closet next to the front door. She walked to the sofa, lifted the bottle of scotch in one hand, and carried it into the kitchen. She returned empty-handed and sat on the sofa. Catherine sat down beside her.

"Why?" Catherine asked, leaning toward her but not yet touching her.

"I've asked myself that every day for the last four days," Rebecca said at length. "I can't tell you exactly why, but I was lonely, and I was angry, and I was tired. I can usually deal with one or two of those things at one time, but when they all come together, I mostly just want to forget."

The words and her expression shredded Catherine's soul. "Is it me?"

"No," Rebecca said, her voice a whisper. "It's me."

*****

"Who is it?" Sandy called irritably.

"It's me."

She opened the door and regarded her unexpected visitor. "You okay?"

"Yeah."

Neither of them moved; each leaned against the doorjamb on opposite sides of the threshold, regarding one another as if uncertain what to say next. Finally, Sandy said, "It's three o'clock in the morning, Dell. What's going on?"

"Did you talk to Frye tonight?"

Sandy's eyes sparked with sudden anger. "We're not going there."

"Just tell me you're not doing something crazy for her."

"What I do for her or anyone else isn't any of your business," Sandy said, starting to close the door.

Mitchell straight armed the door before it could close completely, but she made no move to enter the room. "You met her tonight, didn't you? I don't want you to tell me what you told her. Just tell me if you're doing anything except passing on information."

"Go home, Dell," Sandy said, but her voice was softer now.

"Please, Sandy," Mitchell said with a note of quiet desperation. "I can't sleep. I keep thinking... these guys..."

"There's a reason we can't be friends," Sandy said, her eyes impossible to read but her tone bitter. "And this is it. For a little while, you can forget what I do, who I am. But not all the time, right, Dell? And this is what happens."

"You're wrong," Dell whispered. "The only thing I can't forget is the way you looked lying in that alley with blood on your face."

Sandy blinked. The torment in Dell's deep blue eyes was impossible to ignore. She wasn't certain what brought the tears to her own eyes -- the fact that Dell was hurting or the fact that the young cop could feel something like that for her. All she knew for certain was that no one had made her cry in a very long time, and she had sworn that no one ever would again. In a voice she didn't recognize, she asked, "Are you coming in?"

"No," Mitchell said hoarsely, her entire body trembling.

"Why not?"

Because I want to so bad.

*****

Breathless, Catherine rolled over and pushed Rebecca away. "I have yet to determine how it is that every time I intend to have a serious conversation with you I end up in bed with you instead."

"Sorry," Rebecca gasped. "I think I started that."

"Well," Catherine murmured, linking her fingers with Rebecca's as she stared at the ceiling in the semi darkness, "you had help finishing it."

Rebecca waited for Catherine to continue, wondering what she was going to ask or what she hoped to hear. When the silence between them expanded to fill the room, Rebecca spoke out of a desperate need to break through the barriers between them. "Every night I poured a glass of scotch and sat staring at it... I don't know for how long. Then I'd get up and pour it down the sink."

Catherine turned on her side to study Rebecca's profile in the moonlight. "Does anyone know?"

Startled, Rebecca replied, "Who would know?"

I should know. But this wasn't the time for that. "Watts... or Whitaker?"

"No," Rebecca replied abruptly. Then, aware of her defensive tone, she added more softly, "I can't talk to Whitaker about this, Catherine. I'm still waiting for him to sign off on my incident evaluation. The last thing I can tell him is that I feel like getting drunk."

"I understand, believe me. I see people every week who don't want their employers to know. Still, it would probably help if you talked to...someone about this," Catherine said carefully. "A friend or...me." Gently, she stroked the length of Rebecca's arm. "But keeping it inside is going to make it harder not to drink."

"I know. I think I'm past it now. I emptied the bottle down the drain tonight."

Catherine felt a small swell of relief, but she knew it was never that easy. "And the next time?"

After a pause, Rebecca answered quietly, "Next time... I'll tell you."

“Thank you,” Catherine whispered. "What you did, not drinking, was incredibly difficult, Rebecca. I'm proud of you."

Rebecca turned on her side to face Catherine, her palm resting on the crest of Catherine's hip, their bodies only inches apart. "I want to make things right between us. And I don't know how."

“What we're doing right now will make things right between us," Catherine said, her voice tight with emotion. "I need to know you, Rebecca. Not just all the strong, brave, wonderful parts of you, but the parts that are uncertain or lonely or…frightened."

"I need practice at this."

"So do I," Catherine admitted. "I haven't cared about anyone like this before, Rebecca. You bring up feelings in me I didn't even know I was capable of having. Before you, my life was ordered and settled and comfortable."

"Doesn't sound too bad," Rebecca said with a hint of laughter.

Catherine laughed, too. "No, it wasn't. It wasn't bad at all; it was just not remarkable. Being with you is quite remarkable."

"Captain Henry told me that I could be promoted to Lieutenant if I wanted it," Rebecca said in a low voice. "I could tell him yes."

"Do you want that?"

"I wouldn't be on the street as much. I'd have more regular hours."

Catherine leaned closer and kissed the point of Rebecca's shoulder. "And you'd do that for me?"

"No," Rebecca said, her eyes meeting Catherine's. "I'd do that for us."

"Maybe someday," Catherine said softly, stroking the edge of Rebecca's jaw with her fingertips, feeling the muscles bunched tightly beneath her fingers. "Right now, I'd rather you just share your life with me, not change it for me."

"I don't think I've ever done that with anyone, but I'll try. I swear to God, I'll try."

"Good. You can start in the morning." Catherine slipped her fingers into the hair at the base of Rebecca's neck and guided the other woman down on top of her. "But right now, I'd rather not talk."

Rebecca slid her thigh between Catherine's legs and leaned on her elbows, staring down into Catherine's face. "I feel like part of me is missing when I'm not with you."

Maybe it was her words, maybe it was the pressure of warm firm muscle against her nerve centers, but a surge of desire so powerful it caused every muscle in her body to tense wrenched a sharp cry from Catherine's throat. She wrapped her calves around Rebecca's leg and thrust hard into her, forcing the blood to pound faster through her already swollen flesh. Pressing her lips to Rebecca's ear she whispered raggedly, "I don't want to... think. Make it so I can't."

First, Rebecca kissed her until she couldn't speak. Then she found her nipples, and teased them, tormented them, until she couldn't breathe. Then, she touched her, stroked her, and finally filled her... until she couldn't do anything except feel.

 

CHAPTER TWENTYSEVEN

The phone rang at 6:40 a.m. Rebecca groped for the receiver and fumbled it to her ear. "Frye."

"You up yet?" Sloan asked, her never ending, nearly irrepressible energy practically palpable over the line.

"No. You been to bed yet?"

"Nope. But I've got something for you."

Rebecca sat up in bed, and Catherine rolled over to rest her head against Rebecca's stomach, wrapping one arm around her waist. Rebecca threaded the fingers of her free hand through the thick tresses at the base of Catherine's neck. "Tell me."

"LongJohn finally showed up last night, and he's dangling bait in front of BigMac's... nose. You'll have to see the transcript, but basically, he's offered BigMac a show. A live show."

"Excellent," Rebecca rejoined, her mind already prioritizing her day's work. "I need as many details as you can give me. I'll be over in an hour."

"I'll put the coffee on."

Rebecca leaned toward the night stand to hang up the phone.

"What is it?" Catherine asked sleepily.

"Sloan's got something for us."

"I take it that means we're getting up?"

Rebecca slid down into bed and settled Catherine into her arms. "We've got a few minutes. You can sleep a little longer."

Catherine ran her palm along Rebecca's ribs and down to the base of her abdomen, her fingers settling lightly in the cleft between Rebecca's thighs. "I wasn't thinking of sleeping. The last thing I remember from last night is feeling like my entire body had disintegrated. It was wonderful, but at about the point where my arms and legs disassembled, I think I lost consciousness." She laughed softly, edging her fingers lower as she spoke.

Rebecca's body had come to attention, and she murmured huskily, "Like I said, we've got a few minutes."

Catherine pressed closer, her mouth against Rebecca's neck. Teasingly, she murmured, "I might need a little longer than that."

"Uhh," Rebecca gasped as fingers closed around her length, "take all the time you want."

 

*****

 

If Sloan was surprised to see Catherine arrive with Rebecca, she didn't show it. Hair wet from the shower, in a tight black T-shirt and black jeans, she met them at the elevator with a handful of printouts in her fist. Her eyes alight with excitement and the thrill of the hunt, she said, "Come on down to the conference room."

Jason was there waiting, looking immaculate in a crisp white shirt and blended silk trousers. Grinning at them, showing not the slightest hint of fatigue, he said, "Looks like I might have a date this weekend."

They all helped themselves to coffee and then sat down with copies of the most recent chat transcript.

 

Transcript Six - Excerpt

 

LongJohnXXX: Hey big man, wondered where you were

BigMac10: Looked for you earlier, but you were nowhere

LongJohnXXX: Busy arranging entertainment for some friends

BigMac10: entertainment? anything hot?

LongJohnXXX: sizzlin

BigMac10: live action?

LongJohnXXX: Next best thing--live on screen

BigMac10: oh man, how sweet

LongJohnXXX: turn you on?

BigMac10: you know it. Room for one more?

LongJohnXXX: could be- -not exactly an open house, you know

BigMac10: I understand, but I've got the green. No matter the price

LongJohnXXX: You know liberty place?

BigMac10: like my own backyard

LongJohnXXX: Cybercafe at 17th and market, Log on Sunday 7 pm

BigMac10: and then?

LongJohnXXX: then we'll see-come prepared to party

 

"What does this mean?" Catherine asked. "Why does he want you to go to this cybercafe?"

"It's a test," Jason explained. "One, to see if I'm serious, and two, to make sure I'm not trying to trace him from my computer. I suspect he's been logging on somewhere other than his house just to protect his equipment."

"He'll probably be there--in the cafe," Sloan added. "Trying to get a look at Jason and see if he looks legit or like a cop."

Jason smiled. "What do you think?"

"You don't look like a cop--more like a choir boy," Rebecca said seriously. Only the slight quirk at the corner of her mouth suggested she was teasing. "This looks good," she added as she leaned back in her chair. "I'll take copies of these and the CI reports to my captain this morning. We'll have the necessary support and paperwork if we get to the point where we can move on this guy."

"It's far from a lock," Sloan warned in an unusual show of reservation. "This guy is very smart. We're not talking about amateur hacks making videos in their basement. The fact that he wants Jason to contact him from a commercial machine means that he's aware that he can be traced. That shows a fair amount of sophistication."

Jason nodded in agreement. "He's been very careful so far not to spell anything out. Not once has he mentioned kids or ages or any details of what he's offering."

"Well have to talk about putting someone inside that café with you, Jason," Rebecca said thoughtfully. "At the very least, we'll need to be able to follow you so we can set up outside his house once you get there." Glancing at Sloan, she asked, "How do we play this once Jason's inside? Is there any chance we can put an undercover cop in his place? I can probably find someone who is computer literate enough."

"I wouldn't recommend it," Catherine interjected. "Not at this point. Jason and this man have a relationship. There's a certain style of speech, a certain way of responding to verbal cues, that Jason has established with him. No one else is going to have that flow."

"I agree," Jason said. "Besides, we have no reason to think this guy's dangerous."

Rebecca didn't necessarily agree. If this was an operation being run by the local organized crime syndicate, then anyone involved was capable of violence. The hierarchy within organized crime dictated that everyone, at every level, protect the integrity of the organization at all cost. "What about once he's inside this guys place? How will we get the signal to go in?"

"Ideally, we'll want to wait until they're receiving the live feed," Sloan explained. "I want as much information in that CPU as possible before we confiscate. Plus, it will preserve Jason's cover if you bring him in with this guy, just in case we need to use him again where he'll be visible."

Rebecca regarded Sloan sharply. The cybersleuth had been a cop, all right, because she still thought like one.

Again, Jason nodded, the same predatory glint in his eyes as Sloan's. "You can bet this guy is going to be wired for everything. You can count on it. Anyone receiving this kind of feed will be recording and probably uploading to their own server. He'll have a sophisticated wireless system that Sloan should be able to hack into from outside the building. She ought to be able to see what we're seeing."

"This is loose," Rebecca insisted steadily. She knew she didn't have to tell Sloan, or Jason for that matter, what she meant. There were a dozen ways something could go wrong.

"It won't be by the time we get ready to roll," Sloan said just as steadily.

"We'll need to inform Clark," Rebecca added with a sigh.

"Let's tighten it up first," Sloan suggested.

"Right," Rebecca said brusquely, slapping her hand on the tabletop. "Okay then. I'll take it to my boss."

Catherine rode down with her in the elevator and walked her to her car. “I’m going to stay here for a few minutes, then I have few patients to see.”

Rebecca nodded, tossing the file folder with the transcript copies onto the front seat. “Okay.” She started to turn away, then as an afterthought added, “Uh, I’ll be at the stationhouse most of the day doing this paperwork and making phone calls. See you tonight?”

“Yes,” Catherine replied, smiling at Rebecca’s effort to explain her day. She tried, even when it was foreign to her, and it made Catherine feel more cherished than any other gift possibly could. “That would be just perfect.”

*****

When Rebecca walked into the squad room later that morning, Watts was seated at his desk, his chair turned toward the door. The minute he saw her, he got to his feet and walked quickly to her. "Man, am I glad you finally called me. If I had to chase down one more flasher at the mall, I was going to have to start taking drugs. Have you got something? Because I've been working the computers every chance I get, and I still can't spring any names. It seems like every time I get close, I run into another dead end. It's uncanny. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say someone had been erasing files."

Rebecca regarded him closely, because she had learned that Watts rarely said anything that he didn't mean. Only people who didn't know him very well thought he was all empty talk. "There are still some things you and I need to look into along those lines, but not right now. I've got something to take to the Captain, and I need you assigned officially from here on out."

Watts beamed and then, looking around the squad room as if to make sure that no one had seen him, added, "Anything I need to know before we go in there?"

"No surprises," she assured him. “Just try for once to follow my lead, and keep quiet--if you can."

He just grinned as she turned and walked away. Five minutes later they sat facing Captain John Henry across the expanse of his desk, waiting for him to finish a phone call. When he put down the receiver, he immediately said, "It's Saturday morning. What have you got that can't wait?"

Rebecca began unhurriedly to explain. "The task force you assigned me to has turned up a lead here in the city on a kiddie porn ring. We're going to need to stake out a suspect who we believe is receiving live child pornography over the Internet, marketing it to people he meets in chat rooms, and possibly broadcasting it as well. We think that he may have an indirect connection to the people making the videos, and they're the ones who are using kids for sex."

Henry regarded Rebecca quietly for a moment. "This task force, it's being run by Justice, right?"

"Officially, yes. Most of the work has actually been done by the private computer consultants that Justice brought on board. The feds have pretty much taken a backseat up until now. I'd like to keep it that way. Any arrests should be ours, and if there's a connection to anything local, I want to know about it first. You know what Justice is like--they'll snatch up a couple of these guys and offer them immunity to turn State's evidence on somebody higher up the food chain, and we'll never bring anybody to trial."

"The civilians--who are they? You trust them?"

"I do," Rebecca informed him. "It's an outfit by name of Sloan Security, and the two main people, Sloan and McBride, are experienced and highly skilled. In fact, Sloan could probably get this new electronic investigation division that the commissioner has been harping about off the ground. I don't think we've got anybody in-house who can actually do it."

Henry merely grunted, then glanced at Watts. "And Detective Watts figures in this, how?"

"We're going to need manpower for stakeouts, plus I have information from a confidential informant that some of the younger prostitutes may be involved in making these films. I don't have any names yet, and I'd like Watts to work with Harris in Juvie to track down some of the younger girls and question them. We really need to work through the juvenile unit because they've got all the records, and most likely they can find these kids a lot faster than we can. Plus, Harris is a good detective. I'm willing to bet she has relationships with some of these kids and can help us get the information we need."

"So what's the rush to go to the DA? You know they're going to be running with a skeleton staff, and finding a judge to sign off on a warrant is always tricky on a weekend. Plus, it usually pisses off the judge to get paged during a golf game and that doesn't help matters."

"It's possible that we're going to have contact tonight or tomorrow night with one of these Internet guys dealing with the live video broadcasts. We're going to need to bring him in for questioning, go through his place looking for a verification of child porn, and confiscate all of his electronic equipment. I'd like to have a warrant to cover that."

"Which means we're gonna need the crime scene techs, too," Watts added. "That's a lot of over time and it will help to have the DA on board to back us up with that."

"Thank you, Detective," Henry said dryly. "I'm well aware how the fiscal distribution of my division works."

Rebecca squelched a smile, but she knew that Watts had made a good point. Administrators like Henry, even the ones who had once been good cops like he had been, were highly motivated by the bottom line, which was usually financial. The more paperwork he had to back up his allocation of funds and manpower, the better it would be.

He pushed back in his chair and sighed. "Okay, put the paperwork on my desk and I'll make some calls."

"Thank you, sir," Rebecca said, beginning to rise.

"You stay, Frye."

Watts hesitated for a second, glancing quickly from Frye to Captain Henry, and then left the room when it became apparent that no one was going to say anything until he did.

When Watts had closed the door behind him, Henry said, "How actively are you involved in this investigation?"

"Just gathering the information as it comes in."

"I still haven't seen anything on you from Whitaker."

"I'll see that he gets it to you."

"See that you do, Sergeant."

"Absolutely, Captain."

Once outside his office, she glanced at her watch and decided that Whitaker probably wasn't available on a Saturday afternoon. Monday would be in plenty of time.

chapter twentyeight

"What are you thinking about?"

"Hmm? Oh," Rebecca exclaimed with a wry smile. "I was thinking how nice it was not to be thinking about anything."

They were walking hand-in-hand through the narrow streets of Old City on First Saturday, a monthly event where artisans of all persuasions displayed their wares on the sidewalks for passersby to peruse, musicians played in alcoves and on street corners, and the many bistros and cafes served drinks or cappuccino at tiny tables lining the walkways. It had a certain Mardi Gras flavor with the historical charm that made Philadelphia famous. They'd had dinner at a small, intimate restaurant and then had taken to the streets along with scores of others to luxuriate in the still warm September evening.

"You might have been thinking that five minutes ago," Catherine said with a faint laugh, "but now you have that look of complete and utter detachment that spells cop mode."

Rebecca blushed, an occurrence so rare for her that it was nearly reportable. It was true, she had been thinking about the case, and she had no idea that it showed so plainly. All she'd wanted when the evening had begun was to somehow let Catherine know how crazy in love with her she was, and now, not three hours later, here she was obsessing about the job again. Jesus. "I'm sorry," she said quickly, "I was just--"

"Don't apologize. I have to admit that I've been wondering myself what was happening with Sloan and Jason. This waiting for something to break can get very wearing."

"Really?" Rebecca was pleasantly surprised. It hadn't occurred to her that Catherine could become as absorbed in a case as she, although she certainly should have realized that after their experience with Raymond Blake. Then, Catherine had been as persistent as any obsessive detective in bringing him to justice. "You know, we're just around the corner--"

"I was just thinking the same thing.” Catherine stopped walking and regarded Rebecca with an eager glint in her eyes, then glanced at her watch. "It is after nine on a Saturday night. Think anyone is still around?"

"Can't hurt to see."

Ten minutes later, Jason's now familiar voice said from the speaker above the door, "Come on up. Might as well have a party."

When they had ascended the elevator and disembarked on the third floor, they discovered Jason and Mitchell in their now familiar poses, hunched over the monitors and murmuring conspiratorially.

Rebecca regarded Mitchell impassively when the young officer turned at the sound of footsteps. Mitchell gazed back, a faint hint of challenge in her eyes. It was the first time Rebecca had ever seen her anything but appropriately respectful. "Mitchell," she said with a perfunctory nod.

"Detective," Mitchell said stiffly.

Turning to Jason, Rebecca asked, "Anything?"

"The usual. Saturday night seems to bring out all the perverts. LongJohn hasn't shown up though. I'm not entirely certain that he will, since we already have a specified meeting time tomorrow night. On the other hand, I want to be here if he does log on."

Catherine nodded in agreement. "He may very well want to be sure that you're still interested, and I wouldn't be surprised if he sends a few more verbal tests in your direction--to verify your authenticity. He's got to be suspicious that you—BigMac, I should say--might be law enforcement. I would suggest you appear enthusiastic, but don't probe too overtly for more information."

"Gotcha." Jason reached to his right and thumbed through an inch high pile of computer printouts. "These are from the last couple of days, and there might be some other possibles in here." Glancing at Catherine he said apologetically, "Have you got a few minutes?"

Catherine hesitated, looking at Rebecca, who shrugged infinitesimally. By unspoken agreement, they had thus far kept their personal involvement private from the others in the group, for no other reason than that they both preferred to separate their professional and personal lives whenever possible. "Sure," Catherine said. "I'll just take them back to the conference room and go through them."

 As she lifted the pile and turned to leave, Rebecca looked pointedly at Mitchell and said, "Officer, let's take a walk."

"Yes ma'am," Mitchell said and rose instantly.

The two of them headed in the opposite direction from the conference room toward the far end of the vast loft space, finally stopping beneath an expanse of windows that afforded them a view all the way into southern New Jersey. Between them and the industrial center of Camden ran the Delaware River, illuminated by the lights of oil barges and other ships. "Captain Rodriguez called me this afternoon," Rebecca began without preamble, referring to one of the uniform commanders and Mitchell's superior. "He told me that all they need is your paperwork cleared up and you'll be reassigned to street patrol."

"I don't want to be reassigned," she said immediately.

"Is there some problem in house?"

Mitchell glanced at her sideways, surprised by the question. It was rare for detectives to take any interest in uniform officers, and rarer still for them to question the workings of other divisions. Frye was essentially asking her if she had a problem with her superiors or her fellow officers, which was to her knowledge, unheard of. "No ma'am. No problems."

"Okay." Rebecca expected no other answer from Mitchell. The young officer was clearly a by-the-book cop, and if she were having problems, she'd keep it to herself like any good cop and try to handle it on her own. Rebecca didn't intend to push her on it, not now. They had other issues to get clear on. "Then why don't you want to go back to your regular duty?"

Mitchell squared her shoulders and said directly, "Because I want to stay on this assignment. I like working with Sloan and McBride... and I like working with you."

Rebecca turned her head and regarded Mitchell steadily. "Every uniform wants the gold shield, at least any uniform worth anything at all."

"Yes, ma'am."

"You've got a long ways to go before that, Mitchell."

"Yes, ma'am."

"But you've made a good start." Rebecca slid her hands into her pockets and rocked slightly on the balls of her feet as she watched the night slide by on the river below. "I'll see what I can do about keeping you around."

"Thank you very much," Mitchell said, trying not to sound as relieved as she felt. Frye was not the type you kissed up to.

"One more thing."

Mitchell looked at her questioningly. "Yes, ma'am?"

"You want to tell me about you and Sandy Dyer?"

Mitchell's heart began to race. Suddenly, for the first time since the day she had stood on the parade ground at West Point as a new cadet, she felt her knees shaking. In a clear voice that she willed not to waver, she answered, "No, ma'am, I do not."

"If you get between me and this investigation, or any other investigation, I'll have your badge."

"Understood."

"Good," Rebecca said. "We'll meet here tomorrow afternoon at 4 p.m. to review the details of the operation."

"Yes, ma'am," Mitchell said, hoping that the shock didn't show in her voice. Frye had just invited her along on a high level tactical maneuver. It was more than a dream come true, it was a career making opportunity. And that after asking her about Sandy. How in hell had she known?

"And Mitchell," Rebecca added as if in afterthought, "never turn your back on the night. You never know who might be watching."

*****

Catherine reappeared an hour and a half later. Rebecca sat with her feet up on the counter, leaning back in a swivel chair, watching a computer monitor. Jason and Mitchell were busy inputting data into one of their seemingly endless analysis programs.

"I've pulled three that I think have promise. Officer Mitchell," Catherine said, "I've circled the identifiers that I'd like you to cross-reference."

"I'll get on it right away."

"Tomorrow will surely be soon enough," Catherine said with a smile. Glancing at her watch, she said, "It's nearly 11:30. I don't know about the rest of you, but I need a break. Where's Sloan, by the way? She seems to be the only one of us with any common sense."

Jason laughed. "Don't you believe it. She went to the airport to pick up Michael. If it hadn't been for that, you can bet she'd be right here."

"Michael?" Catherine said, trying to remember if she had forgotten someone on the team.

"Her lover."

"Oh," Catherine said, somewhat surprised. She would have thought Sloan was a lesbian, but perhaps that was just because she found her attractive. Smiling inwardly, she reminded herself that appearances were most often deceiving. "Well then, I'll say goodnight."

"I'll walk you out," Rebecca said, getting to her feet. "Jason--call me if anything comes up. Mitchell--go home."

Both of them nodded, but they were already engrossed in some bit of electronic information, their heads bent close together over a print out. Neither of them said goodnight.

*****

Michael Lassiter glanced at her passenger. "I could have taken the train from the airport, you know."

Sloan reclined in the passenger seat, her left hand resting loosely in Michael's right, their fingers intertwined. Smiling, she replied without opening her eyes, "I know that. I just wanted to be there when you came home."

"I'm glad you were," Michael said softly, her voice thick with a panoply of emotions--wonder, gratitude, desire. In all the years of her marriage to Nicholas, she had never felt this kind of welcome or the peaceful sense of well-being that came from knowing precisely where you belonged in the universe. "I love you."

"Good thing," Sloan said drowsily. "Because I'm mad about you."

Michael had rarely seen Sloan exhausted, but she had known when she'd left for Boston that it was unlikely that her lover would sleep at all in her absence. From everything she had gathered, things were moving so quickly on the new investigation that even had she been in town, Sloan would probably have been working nearly twenty-four hours a day. It was only her quiet insistence that her lover get an occasional hour or two of sleep that ever brought her upstairs during this kind of intensive assignment. Turning off the four lane highway that ran along the river onto the narrow streets of Old City, she stated emphatically, "When we get home, you're going straight to bed."

"Promise?" Sloan rejoined, turning her head on the seat and finally opening her eyes. Grinning, life clearly returning to her features, she added, "I think you're exactly what I need to jump start my engines."

"Well, you can just motor down, hotrod," Michael said with a laugh. "Maybe in the morning I'll take you for a ride."

"I'll pencil you in to my schedule then."

Michael was about to launch a comeback as she turned onto their block. Slowing, peering at the unexpected obstacle in her path, she muttered in frustration, "For God's sake, who would leave that right in front of the driveway."

Had Sloan been less tired, perhaps she would have been faster to make a connection. As Michael downshifted into park and opened the driver's door to get out, Sloan glanced idly out her window toward her building. A shopping cart, turned over on its side, lay on the sidewalk in front of the wide double doors leading into their garage. Odd, she thought to herself, as she dimly registered the sound of an engine starting nearby. Suddenly some long-ingrained distrust pulsed through her brain, and she turned just as Michael stepped from the car. "Michael, no..."

The words were lost in the sound of squealing tires, a muffled scream, and the rending of metal as the driver's door of the Porsche was torn off and catapulted down the street. By the time Sloan extricated herself from the car, which had been pushed into a parked minivan, the vehicle which had struck her lover was gone.

Ten feet away, Michael lay motionless on the street, a dark pool spreading on the pavement beneath her head.

 

chapter twentynine

"My god, did you hear that?" Catherine exclaimed as she and Rebecca stepped from the elevator.

"Sounds like a hell of a fender bender," Rebecca muttered, instantly alert, "and it was awfully close."

Suddenly, the sounds of frantic shouting were audible from just outside and Rebecca hurriedly pushed through the door to the street. Directly in front of her at the foot of the steps leading to the entrance, Sloan's Porsche was canted onto the sidewalk with the engine still running. She glanced inside through a spider web of shattered safety glass. Empty. From the far side, she could hear strangled cries. "Catherine, stay here for a minute."

"Rebecca, someone's hurt. I'm a doctor," Catherine said urgently from just behind her. "I need to attend to the victims."

"I know that," Rebecca said sharply, not used to having her authority questioned at a scene. "But you'll have to wait. I don’t know what happened here. It might not have been an accident and I don't want another victim." Especially not you.

There was no time for discussion, and the detective didn't wait for a reply. Instead, she climbed over the rear bumper of the parked minivan which now housed a portion of the front of Sloan's abandoned vehicle, her cell phone in one hand and her automatic in the other. Even as she assessed the activity in the street, visually searching for possible assailants, she called for an ambulance and back-up in clipped, commanding tones. From the corner of her eye, she checked the figures in the street. Sloan, blood streaking her face and arms, was on her knees above the prone body of an unconscious blond woman Rebecca  did not recognize. She couldn't tell how badly either was injured and she couldn't allow her concern to divert her mind from more important tasks. Like insuring that there were no further threats remaining in the immediate area and preserving any evidence of the crime.

Catherine clambered over the wreck after her and Rebecca cursed. "Keep down at least," the detective barked, blocking the three women as best she could from the street with her body, scouring the windows in the buildings on both sides of them, searching for any kind of movement behind the many darkened windows. She could see nothing suspicious, but it was impossible for her to tell if any of the people in the densely packed buildings might represent a danger. Curious onlookers were approaching from down the block, but fortunately there were no vehicles to be diverted yet. She glanced down once more and saw a widening pool of blood beneath the blond's head. "Catherine, keep them right there until back-up arrives."

"No one is moving her without a backboard," Catherine said grimly after one quick look.

Mitchell and Jason burst from the building. "Oh god," Jason gasped, stopping in his tracks and staring in horror.

 Rebecca, turning at the sound, ordered, "Mitchell, secure the scene. Backup is on the way. I'll call for a crime scene unit and find out where the fuck the ambulances are. This was a hit and run at best."

"Right," Mitchell responded crisply, her face tight with shock but her voice strong as she clipped her badge to the waist band of her jeans. Glancing once at the badly smashed car, she asked in a quiet voice only Rebecca could hear, "Intentional?"

"We have to assume so, until proven otherwise," Rebecca affirmed, noting approvingly the officer's quick, intelligent assessment. "Keep your eyes open. Just because this was a vehicle hit doesn't mean there won't be someone in the crowd or on a rooftop with a gun. I'll call Watts down to canvas with you."

"I'm on it," the officer replied, heading off in the direction of a group of civilians who were rapidly approaching.

"Jason," Rebecca added brusquely, "you get back inside."

Unsurprisingly, he ignored her and made his way to Sloan.

"Fuck," Rebecca muttered in surrender and phoned Watts.

Sloan, still on her knees, curled protectively over Michael's motionless form, her hand gripping her lover's limp one, a world of anguish on her face. "Call an ambulance..." she implored to no one in particular, her eyes fixed on Michael's pale face. "Oh, Jesus, please... Michael."

"Sloan," Catherine said gently, carefully placing her hand on the dark-haired woman's shoulder. "I need to be where you are so I can evaluate her." The injured woman lay nearly under a parked car and Catherine couldn't get room to assess her status.

"No." The sound was choked, agonized. Looking up into Catherine's face, eyes unfocused, Sloan insisted desperately, "No. I'm not leaving her."

"No, of course you're not," Catherine said quietly. "Just let me close enough to help her."

Jason moved forward and knelt next to his friend. "Sloan--let Catherine help Michael. Just move back a little bit. You don't have to leave her."

Sloan looked at him as if she didn't recognize him, and then she blinked and her eyes seemed to clear. "It was supposed to have been me, Jason. It's my car. She was driving..."

"It's okay. We'll worry about it later." His voice trembled on the words.

Mutely, Sloan shifted a fraction, tenaciously gripping Michael's right hand. Catherine gently displaced her further until she could lean down and place her fingers on the woman's neck, searching for a pulse. Automatically, as often happened when examining a patient no matter whether physically or psychologically, she observed many things at once, assimilating impressions almost unconsciously. While her fingers registered the faint, thready beat of blood through the artery she probed, her mind noted how achingly beautiful the injured woman was. The perfect unmarred features fit for an artist's canvas, incongruously free of any sign of pain, as if she were only peacefully slumbering. The left hand lying gently between her breasts, a heavy platinum band glinting in the halo of light from the streetlights overhead. The lover bending to her, devotion etched in every line of her hauntingly handsome face. Only the maroon circle of blood rapidly darkening to black cast a nightmare pall over the ethereal tableau.

Catherine wrenched her gaze from Michael's face. Quietly, she murmured to Sloan, whose shallow, tortured breathing spoke of unbearable grief. "Listen to me. She's alive. That's all that matters. We'll have her in the hospital in a few minutes where she can be taken care of. Do you hear me?"

Sloan coughed and tried to catch her breath. She couldn't think; she couldn't feel. She wasn't even certain her heart was beating. All she could sense was terror. A helpless terror that made her want to pound her fists against the stone. "Please. Please don't let her die." She looked at Catherine, her eyes fathomless pools of anguish. In a voice beyond torment she repeated, "Please."

Catherine couldn't offer her the one promise she begged for, so she said nothing. She placed the fingers of one hand beneath Michael's chin, keeping her airway open, and carefully slipped a folded handkerchief which Jason had supplied behind her head to staunch the flow of blood from a large open wound. Rebecca paced back and forth in front of them, one eye on the street, the other on them, snapping orders into her cell phone. Mitchell, amazingly, had found crime scene tape somewhere and was cordoning off the street while instructing gawkers to stay back.

In the distance, sirens approached.

*****

An hour later, Rebecca walked into the brightly lit trauma unit waiting room where an anxious group waited. Catherine approached, her green eyes darkened to nearly black with concern.

"Any word?" Rebecca asked in a low voice, running one hand down Catherine's arm in lieu of a kiss.

Catherine shook her head slightly, but some of the tension left her chest at the sight of her lover. The waiting room, the waiting, Sloan's torment—all of it brought back too many images still too fresh. Not long ago it had been Rebecca. Rebecca lying so still, so pale, bleeding, so much bloo...

"Hey," Rebecca said softly, alarmed by the faint trembling she felt beneath her fingertips. "You okay?"

"Yes," Catherine said hoarsely, forcing the memories back behind barriers still too fragile to contain them. "No word yet. I've been doing what I can to get updates, but it's Saturday night, and it's a mad house in there. All I know is that she's still being evaluated."

Rebecca nodded, looking past the psychiatrist to the other occupants of the cramped windowless space that might have been any of a dozen such hospital rooms she'd waited in during the course of her career. She concentrated on deflecting the pain that filled the air, needing to keep her distance so she could work. "Who's the redhead?" she asked, remarking on the woman in the blue print shirt and chinos sitting with one arm wrapped protectively around Sloan's waist.

"Sarah Martin," Catherine replied, following her gaze. "Jason's partner—and Sloan's best friend apparently."

"Huh," Rebecca remarked with interest. Now I'll bet that's a story.

 "What's happening back at Sloan's?" Catherine asked, needing to think about something, anything, other than this nightmare.

"I finally got Watts out of bed, and he and Mitchell are running the scene. They’re canvassing the neighborhood, interviewing anyone who was around. Or anyone who will admit to being around. There's a tavern on the corner and they'll need to talk to everyone they can chase down who was there. That'll most likely take all night and a good part of tomorrow. Flanagan’s team showed up -- they're getting the crime scene photos, analyzing the impact patterns, looking for identifying tire treads. The usual. Flanagan's fast, but it will still be at least a day or so before she has anything concrete. This kind of crime leaves a ton of physical evidence to sort through."

Neither of them laughed at the irony of that statement.

"Was it intentional?" Catherine asked quietly, because she had to know. She had to know how close death had come this time.

Rebecca hesitated, then exhaled raggedly. "Looks like it, yeah. Someone was expecting Sloan to come back and had set it up so she'd have to get out of the car. Obviously, it didn't go down the way they planned."

"Why Sloan?" Catherine asked carefully, fighting to ignore the churning in her stomach. "Why not...you?"

Rebecca's eyes shot to Catherine's, instantly concerned. "It wasn't me. It's not going to be me."

They both knew there was no way to guarantee that, but it wasn't the time to discuss something they couldn't change. "Still, why Sloan?"

"More importantly," Rebecca said darkly, "why now?" Although she hated to do it, she needed to find out. "I have to interview her."

"Oh, Rebecca," Catherine murmured. "She's so vulnerable right now. Can't it wait?"

Rebecca heard the censure in her lover's tone, and it hurt, but nothing showed in her face. "This was attempted murder. No, it can't wait."

Catherine watched her walk away, wishing she could take back the words. She of all people should know what it cost Rebecca to do the job she did. If the image of Sloan's agony hadn't been so fresh in her memory, she would have remembered that.

chapter thirty

Rebecca set a cup of weak vending room coffee in front of Sloan, then walked around the small table and sat down across from her. They were alone in a consulting room down the hall from the trauma unit waiting area. "How you doing?"

The other woman shuddered as if with a sudden chill, then met Rebecca's gaze with eyes that were surprisingly clear. "I'm okay. If I could just see her..."

"Catherine's working on that right now. She'll come and get us if there's any word."

"No one knew I was going to the airport," Sloan began as if anticipating Rebecca's questions. "Well, Jason knew of course. But he was the only one."

Rebecca said nothing, preferring to let Sloan tell it in her own way. The security consultant wasn't a suspect to be interrogated, but a witness, and a traumatized one at that. Her recollection of the event would be distorted by grief and fear and the mind's natural desire to block out the things too terrible to contemplate, but fortunately, she was also a trained investigator. She would know what they needed to do, and the things that Rebecca needed to know.

"Obviously,” Sloan continued in a weary voice, “someone set it up so I'd have to get out of the car to move the cart, and they were waiting for me. I can't tell you exactly what happened next, because I didn't see anything. It was over in a few seconds and for most of that time the Porsche was moving from the impact. I was getting tossed around pretty well." As she spoke, she unconsciously twisted the band on her ring finger, something Rebecca had never seen her do before. Rivulets of sweat ran down her face, despite the fact that the room was cool.

"What about after you got out of the car?" Rebecca asked quietly. "Did you see anything then?"

Again, Sloan shivered. Her voice was harsh as she said, "All I was thinking about was Michael. By the time I got out of the car and into the street, all I could see was Michael...she was lying on the pavement..." Her voice trailed off and she closed her eyes. "Sorry," she whispered.

Rebecca waited. She knew very well that Sloan was reliving those few terrifying seconds, seeing and feeling it all over again. After a minute, as kindly as she could, the detective probed, "Did you see the taillights of the vehicle? Did you see anyone on the street--someone who might have been watching the building?"

"No," Sloan replied hoarsely. "Nothing."

For now, that would have to be enough. Tomorrow, Rebecca would ask her again. Right now, her mind was numbed by shock and fear. When the horror had receded just a bit, she might remember more.

"It was supposed to have been me," Sloan said dully.

"That's my read on it, too," Rebecca said, knowing that only the truth would help ease Sloan's guilt. "The timing is too damned coincidental for this to be anything else. Who knows about the operation tomorrow night besides you and Jason?"

Sloan's face hardened, and anger began to drive out the mind-numbing dread. "No one. Michael...Michael left town before the whole thing came down, and I didn't tell her when I spoke to her on the phone. Jason may have told Sarah; we can ask him. But Sarah's ex-State. She'd never say anything to anyone."

"I'll double check with him just to be sure," Rebecca commented, but she was inclined to agree that the leak hadn't come from the three of them.

Suddenly, Sloan stiffened. "Clark. Clark called this morning--uh, Saturday--yesterday morning--and I told him we had something. That we expected an operation to go off before the end of the weekend."

Rebecca was silent, considering Sloan's information. Clearly, their plans had been revealed to someone who felt that Sloan, as the person most likely to uncover someone via the computer traces, was the biggest threat. The choices for the source of the leak were limited. Besides Sloan and Jason, Mitchell and Catherine knew of the upcoming meet. Neither of them had the right kind of contacts, even if they had slipped and mentioned the plans, which she doubted. She herself had told Captain Henry when she briefed him about the warrant. Recalling Trish Mark's observation that after Captain Henry and the Chief of Detectives had met with her boss, the investigation into Jeff Cruz and Jimmy Hogan's assassinations had been dropped, Rebecca considered that it might have been him. It was hard for her to believe that John Henry was on the payroll of the organized crime syndicate, but it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility. Then there was Avery Clark, who had come out of nowhere and put together an elite but highly unusual team. The team resembled the black ops units that worked undercover, often employing less than sanctioned avenues of investigation. Like Sloan had been doing. And if something went wrong, the government would be largely unaccountable. Clark remained a cipher, as did his true motives, and that made him a very good suspect.

"I'll get to the bottom of this, Sloan. You have my word," Rebecca said stonily. "For now, we have to assume that no one is above suspicion."

*****

Ali Torveau slid the CAT scan onto the view box and pointed. "Linear nondisplaced skull fracture, right here in the occipital area. Big scalp laceration over it. Brain looks okay, although I'm sure there's a significant contusion."

Catherine studied the scan, nodding. "What about systemic injuries?"

"In addition to the head injury? Bilateral pulmonary effusions, fractured left renal pelvis, and a hemarthrosis of the left knee. Basically, she got bounced around pretty good, but most of the major organ systems were spared long-term damage."

"What about the kidney injury? Is it going to require surgery?"

"Probably not," the trauma surgeon said. "We'll repeat the CAT scan in six hours and follow her hemoglobins, but the perirenal space is so tight, hemorrhage usually stops on its own. Fortunately, her pulmonary status is stable right now and I took out the endotracheal tube. There's always a possibility that she could develop acute respiratory distress syndrome, but we'll cross that road when we come to it."

"What about the intracranial injury?" Catherine inquired. "Any idea what to expect in terms of her regaining consciousness?"

Again, Torveau shrugged. "She'll wake up when her neurons recover from being shaken all to hell. I can ask neurology to come and see her, but you know damn well they're going to say they can't tell us anything."

Catherine smiled. She was well aware that surgeons had little regard for medical specialists who generally were unable to give a hard and fast prognosis. "If you're confident that there's no surgical problem, I'm sure her family will be, too. Can I see her before I talk to them?"

"Sure," Torveau said, "She's in trauma bay one. Bring them in whenever you want. I've got to go--there's a spleen that wants to be liberated waiting for me upstairs in the OR. They can catch me later if they have questions."

"Go ahead, and thanks for letting me take up your time."

"No problem." And then she pushed through the double doors and was gone.

Catherine walked through the brightly lit treatment area to one of the cubicles where stabilized patients awaited transfer to a regular hospital room. Nodding to a nurse who was busy charting the events of the resuscitation, Catherine approached the bed where Michael lay. On the far side of the small room, a rack of monitors gave continuous readouts of her status while IV poles hung with resuscitation fluids stood silent sentinel.

"Michael," Catherine said softly, bending down close to her. It was impossible to tell what an unconscious person heard, or stored in their memory to be recalled weeks, months, or even years later. She always assumed they were listening, and she always spoke to them as if they would remember. "My name is Catherine Rawlings. I'm a friend of Sloan's."

To her surprise, Michael's eyelids fluttered and her left hand twitched. Reaching for her hand, Catherine cradled the slender fingers in hers. "Michael?"

Michael opened her eyes, her pupils wide and unfocused. "Sloan?"

"She's just fine. I'll bring her right in."

Catherine thought she saw a flicker of a smile before the other woman drifted away again. "And she'll be much, much better now," she whispered, gently releasing Michael's hand.

*****

Rebecca and Sloan walked out of the consultation room and the first person they saw was Avery Clark. Rebecca wasn't even aware of Sloan moving, but in the next instant the security expert had the federal agent up against the wall with her hands fisted in the folds of his jacket.

"It's about time you told us what the fuck is going on," Sloan snarled, inches from his face. "Justice is famous for keeping secrets, and one of your secrets almost got my lover killed." She punctuated each word with a shove that bounced him against the wall.

For an instant, Clark looked stunned, and then Rebecca saw his hand move under his jacket toward his weapon. In all likelihood, it was an automatic response to Sloan's unexpected attack, but Rebecca wasn't about to let weapons come out. "Sloan," she barked, "let him go."

Sloan appeared not to hear and pushed Clark's body hard against the wall again. Rebecca moved to separate them, grasping Sloan's left shoulder with her right hand and wedging herself between them. "Back off, Sloan."

This time, Sloan might have heard, because she appeared to loosen her grip on Clark's jacket. Apparently, that had been the opening he was waiting for, because he brought both arms forcefully up between Sloan's, breaking her grip and pushing her back at the same time. The force of his blow deflected off Sloan's arms as she let go, and his swinging fists caught Rebecca in the chest with the force of a sledgehammer. Rebecca rocked back on her heels, pain exploding in her chest.

By that time, they had drawn a crowd. Jason was between Clark and Sloan and the two men were shouting. Sarah was at Sloan's side, gently but firmly pushing her away. Rebecca sagged against the wall, one hand pressed to her chest, struggling to get her breath.

"For God's sake," Catherine exclaimed, having seen the last of the altercation as she approached down the hall. "Have you all lost your minds? Sarah, take Sloan back to the waiting room. I'll be there in a minute." She kept walking until she reached Rebecca, her heart in her throat. Pain was carved into every line of the detective's body, and for one terrifying second, Catherine saw her as she had been the night in Sandy's apartment-- gasping for breath, one lung down, on the brink of full arrest. Oh no, not again.

Rebecca forced herself to focus and took a slow, shallow breath. "I'm okay," she managed, reading the panic in Catherine's face. Taking another shaky breath, she repeated, "I'm okay. He just...surprised…me, that's all."

"You need to sit down," Catherine said in a voice which she hoped sounded calmer than she felt.

"Okay, right. Just... give me a minute," Rebecca said, uncertain that she could actually make it across the room. She looked around, putting together the events of the last few furious minutes. "Where's Sloan?"

"Sarah has her. Rebecca, please," Catherine said, slipping her arm around Rebecca's waist.

"What about Clark?" Rebecca said through gritted teeth. God, her chest hurt.

"With Jason, I think." Catherine gave up trying to keep her quiet and simply guided her slowly across the room to the row of orange plastic molded seats. "Sit. I mean it."

Rebecca sank down willingly and leaned her head back against the institutional tan wall. "What a fuck up."

"I'll be right back," Catherine murmured, returning a second later with a stethoscope borrowed from one of the trauma nurses. Unbuttoning Rebecca's shirt, she slipped the bell under the material and murmured, "Breathe."

Rebecca took a breath, and then another. It hurt, but she was getting air. "I'm...oka..."

"Shh," Catherine admonished, moving the stethoscope over both sides of Rebecca's chest. Finally satisfied, she sat back and slipped the instrument from around her neck. "You sound okay. We should probably get a chest x-ray just to be sure."

For a moment, Rebecca looked as if she might protest, then she nodded. "Can it wait until I get everybody settled down here?"

Catherine didn't want to negotiate where Rebecca's well-being was concerned, but she recognized the attempt at compromise. Inwardly, she was still trembling, but Rebecca was trying to meet her half way, and she needed to try, also. "All right, that's a deal. But not more than an hour."

"Good enough," Rebecca said, getting just a bit shakily to her feet.

"Promise?"

Rebecca brushed the wisps of hair back from Catherine's temple gently. There had been too much fear for one evening. For one lifetime. And she couldn't swear it wouldn't happen again. But this she could do. "Yes. I promise."

 

chapter thirtyone

Less than an hour later, Sloan, Rebecca, and Avery Clark gathered in yet another unmemorable conference room at University Hospital. They had to meet there, because Sloan wouldn't leave until Michael’s repeat Cat scans were done and Torveau decided if surgery was needed on her fractured kidney. Rebecca watched warily as Clark and Sloan eyed each other across the ten foot space, ready to dive between them yet again if the tension in the air became physical.

"If I've got some reason to apologize," Sloan said flatly, watching Clark's face, "I will. But I'm not convinced that I do. You find out in the morning that I'm close to nailing someone and that evening a car tries to run me down. That seems just a little too neat."

Clark looked from Sloan to Rebecca, judging the battle lines and allegiances. Shrugging as if to acknowledge that he was outnumbered, he sat down and gestured with a hand for them to do the same. "Look," he began resignedly, "I can tell you what I know, but I don't have the answers you're looking for."

"Any answers would be a start," Rebecca interjected sharply. "There are holes in this investigation big enough to drive a truck through. What's the real purpose behind what you've got us doing?"

"This is a legitimate attempt to expose the child pornography ring that we believe is operating in this area," he insisted. "We don't know yet how deep or how far this kind of Internet crime extends, but it's much broader and already more technologically sophisticated than we ever dreamed--and the dispersion of the actual pornography is just one small piece of it. It ties closely to child prostitution, and that ties strongly to organized crime. Because of that, it's a priority with any number of federal agencies as well as your own department. We're the advance team, in a sense."

The two women waited in silence. There was more; there had always been more.

"The situation in this city is slightly more complicated." He glanced at Rebecca and hesitated. "We've suspected for a long time that organized crime had compromised local law enforcement at the highest levels. It's a legacy that goes back forty years or more. It's less overt now, but it's still there."

"Every city has that kind of corruption to some extent," Rebecca remarked impatiently. "It's a fact of life. What's that got to do with us?"

"Every time we get close to the syndicate in this region, our eyewitnesses disappear, our evidence gets lost, or some jurisdictional oversight results in the case being thrown out before we ever get to court."

"So you've got a leak," Sloan said through gritted teeth, frustrated with the typical circumspect vagaries she thought she'd left behind when she'd left Justice. "Or else you're the problem."

“It’s not our leak.” Clark sagged slightly, looking suddenly drained. "We were close to getting names a few months ago. We had a good pipeline to inside information--an undercover agent who was putting together the links we needed to go right to the top." His expression darkened. "And then someone took him out."

"Someone was cleaning house," Rebecca said grimly. "We lost cops then, too. My partner was one of them."

"That's something we have in common, Detective," Clark said with a frustrated sighed. "Jimmy Hogan was one of mine."

"What?" Rebecca said sharply, body tensing. "Hogan was an undercover narcotics agent for the Philadelphia PD."

"He was also a United States Justice Department investigator."

For a moment, the room was silent, and then Rebecca said quietly, "So Hogan was doing double duty, and he was going to help you make a federal case against the Zamora crime family. That was his ultimate agenda, and the narcotics angle was just a cover. Did you know he was going to give us the intel on the kiddie prostitution ring?"

"It was important for his cover that he function as a cop as well, and it seemed fair to feed you some information on that. We were only interested in the guys at the top."

"But someone found out about it," Rebecca said. "And took him down. My partner just happened to be with him."

"That's how we read it," Clark acknowledged. "When we set up this task force, I wanted to keep it small so that something like what happened to Jimmy wouldn't happen again. The fewer people who know what we're doing, the safer I figured we'd be."

"Any ideas who the leak is?" Sloan asked grimly, her attention on Rebecca now. Apparently Clark had convinced her of his veracity.

"Theories, nothing more at this point," the detective replied with a shrug. First and foremost, she was a cop. She didn't indict other cops without evidence, and she had none. Avery Clark might be telling the truth; in fact she thought that he probably was. But that didn't mean he was telling all the truth, and it didn't mean he could be trusted. Until she had something concrete, and maybe not even then, she didn't intend to share what she knew. Or even what she suspected.

"It looks like we'll need to shelve tonight's operation," Clark said.

Sloan's head snapped around to him. "Why?"

"We're compromised," he pointed out. "Someone clearly felt threatened--and they know your name."

"I don't think that means the operation is blown," Rebecca disagreed. "If the leak is inside the department somewhere, they don't know the details of the meet or who it's with, just the general plan. Since they only know we're getting close to someone, they'd go after the individual who was the greatest threat to exposing the Internet connection, which would eventually lead right up the ladder to the procurers and distributors--and finally to the money men. And right now that person is Sloan."

"I say we keep going," Sloan said, a cold hard rage filling her chest. "It's my lover they put in the hospital. I want them."

"I agree," Rebecca added. "If we don't move now, eventually they'll get word to all their people to lay low, including these internet entry men. We'll never have a better shot at it than tonight."

"They may be waiting for you," Clark pointed out. "They missed Sloan. They might try again at the meet. With McBride inside you'll have a potential hostage situation."

Rebecca's face was unreadable. "That was always a possibility. We'll be prepared for that."

"You're running the ground show, Frye. It's your call."

"Then I say we go."

"I'll want my people on board for the arrest," Clark stated.

"They can ride back up," Rebecca countered flatly. "We have to go in fast to protect Jason and secure the computers before this guy has a chance to destroy the evidence. That means a small strike force. I'll run it with my people." People I can trust at my back.

"You should bring in the TAC squad and a hostage negotiator, then. Just in case it goes bad."

"You know those guys would bring in two dozen men and a half dozen armored vans and we'd lose the element of surprise. We go small and quiet."

He looked for a moment like he would argue, then, seeming to relent, he replied, "Then at least bring your team shrink. You'll have a negotiator present."

Rebecca's jaw clenched. "No."

Sloan regarded her steadily, suspecting that she knew the reason for Frye's resistance. When Catherine was in the room, something softened in the detective's hard eyes. She said quietly, "Jason could be at risk."

Rebecca hesitated a heartbeat, then blew out a breath. "Okay. But she rides back-up with you, Clark."

"Fine," he said, rising. "I'll see you tonight then."

"We'll brief at four-thirty at Sloan's," Rebecca said tightly as he made for the door. When he'd closed it behind him, she turned to Sloan. "How's Michael?"

"In and out. She..." Sloan faltered, her voice breaking. "Ah, fuck..." After a minute, she continued, "She opens her eyes for a second every now and then, but she doesn't seem to recognize me."

"That's to be expected at this point, I guess." She couldn't think of a single thing to say that would help. Had it been Catherine--even contemplating it made her stomach roll with dread. "Jesus, I'm sorry, Sloan."

Sloan looked away, swallowed once, then found her voice. "Thanks."

"Is there anyone you can call in to help Jason tonight? I'll need Mitchell for the strike force, and I don't know if she's computer savvy enough to handle your job anyhow."

"I'll be there," Sloan said sharply.

"Look, Sloan," Rebecca said evenly. "Things have changed. This operation is hot now, and we don't know what we're walking into tonight. You're in no shape--"

"I'm okay."

"Like hell you are."

"They tried to kill me. They nearly killed Michael instead," Sloan seethed. "I'm owed, Frye."

"I need to be able to count on you. You've got..." she glanced at her watch. It was ten minutes to four Sunday morning. "You've got fifteen hours until this goes down. If you don't sleep most of it, you'll be a danger to all of us."

Sloan rubbed her face with both hands and sighed. "I'll sleep here. You have my word."

"I need you sharp tonight, Sloan.

"I know what I need to do. I'll do it."

Rebecca took a chance, and took her at her word.

***** 

"I just reviewed your chest X-ray with the radiology resident. It's normal," Catherine informed her after Rebecca emerged from the conference room, the relief in her voice clear.

"Good," Rebecca replied. "How do you feel? You look beat."

"I feel about how I look," Catherine said with a wry smile. "How's Sloan?"

"Ragged, but calmed down a bit."

Catherine sensed an uneasiness in Rebecca's voice. "What is it?"

"Clark thinks it would be a good idea if you came along on the operation tonight. A precautionary thing." Just saying the words made her chest tighten with anxiety.

"What do you think?" Catherine asked carefully.

"I think he's right, and it's exactly what I did not want to have happen," Rebecca said sharply. A glimpse of Blake, the gun to Catherine's head flashed through her mind. "Goddamn it."

"It will be fine, Rebecca. It's nothing like the last time." When her lover merely nodded curtly, she asked gently, "We're both tired. Let's talk about it later." Again Rebecca nodded silently, and Catherine continued, "What are you going to do now?"

"Drive back to Old City and check in with Watts and Mitchell." As if anticipating Catherine's next words, Rebecca added quietly, "Just for a few minutes. Then I'm sending Mitchell home and leaving the follow-up to Watts for the time being. I'll meet you at your place in less than an hour."

"All right," Catherine said. She understood that Rebecca couldn't rest until she had taken care of these last details. She understood it, and she tried hard to accept it. It wasn't easy, seeing the deep shadows under her eyes and remembering the pain on her face just hours before. Then again, she doubted that any of them looked fit for public consumption at the moment. "I'm going to be leaving in just a few minutes, too. I just want to check on Michael one more time."

Rebecca grasped her hand and drew her around the corner into the deserted alcove in front the elevators. Then she pulled her into her arms and kissed her, hard. Finally releasing her, she said fervently, "You were incredible tonight. None of us would've gotten through this without you."

"If things keep up this way," Catherine said with a shaky laugh, "I'm going to have to take an emergency room medicine residency."

"It's not always like this," Rebecca assured her swiftly.

"So you say," Catherine said softly, laying her head against Rebecca's chest, just enjoying the solid comfort of her. "Come home soon. I want to hold you."

Kissing her forehead, Rebecca held her tightly, refusing to think about anything beyond the moment when they could be together. "Sounds like just what I need."

She wondered if Catherine had any idea how very true those words were.

 

chapter thirtytwo

Sarah Martin quietly pushed open the door to room 614 and stepped inside. The vertical blinds over the one window had been closed and the room was suffused in the pale yellow light of late afternoon. A steady beep from the monitor above the bed and the faint rasp of breathing were the only sounds. Walking to the figure who slumped in a chair by the bedside, she whispered softly, "Sloan." When she got no response, she leaned down and gently shook the other woman's shoulder.

Sloan's eyes flew open and she straightened with a start. Immediately, she looked toward the bed and then sagged slightly in disappointment. Michael had not regained consciousness since the one brief moment with Catherine nearly twelve hours before. Turning to her companion, she rubbed her face with both hands and said, "What time is it?"

"Three-thirty. Jason is on his way to the office for the briefing."

"Right," Sloan rejoined wearily, rising slowly. "Show time."

Sarah stilled her friend's motion with a hand on her arm. Quietly, she whispered, "Maybe you should call it off, Sloan."

"No, we might not get another chance." Sloan moved to the bedside and ran her fingers lightly over Michael's cheek. Leaning down, she threaded the fingers of her left hand through her lover's and murmured close to her ear, "I won't be long. I love you." She kissed her fingers, then, gently, her lips.

Then she walked out of the room without looking back. Outside in the hall, she turned to Sarah. "If Jason doesn't make contact with this guy tonight, he'll get spooked and suspect we're on to him. We don't know how closely he's in contact with other members of this organization. He might not know anything; he might be a central player. We can't afford to tip them off at this point."

"Jason said the same thing," Sarah said with a sigh, remembering their strained conversation only an hour before. "Look, go home and take a shower. If Jason's going through with it, I'll feel better if you're there with him. I'll stay with Michael."

"If she wakes up..." Sloan swallowed hard and continued, "When she wakes up, if I'm not here, tell her I’ll be back soon. Tell her I lo..."

Smiling faintly, Sarah took Sloan's hand. "Sloan, believe me, Michael knows that. Go get this thing done and come back."

Sloan nodded, a hard glint in her eyes. "Jason and I will see you in a few hours."

*****

Catherine and Rebecca dressed silently on opposite sides of Catherine's bedroom. Catherine pulled on navy cotton chinos and a short-sleeved polo shirt, topping it off with a blue blazer. Rebecca slipped into jeans and a button-down collar shirt, strapped on her shoulder harness, and covered it with a dark blazer of her own. They had slept most of the day and had said very little after rising and showering together.

"Be sure you stay with Clark," Rebecca said quietly, her back to Catherine. From her gym bag on the floor she pulled two extra magazines for her automatic and slipped one into each of the front pockets of her jacket. "We'll all be miked, and you should be able to hear everything that's going on. Even if things get...chaotic...stay in the car. Don't come forward until I personally call for you."

"How likely is this to turn into some kind of standoff?" Catherine asked, registering Rebecca's anxiety for her but considering it unfounded. Of much greater concern to her was the possibility that Rebecca would be in the middle of a firefight. "I know you don't want to hear this, but you're in no condition--"

"We have no reason to believe that this guy will resort to violence," Rebecca said immediately, facing her now. "I just want to be prepared for any contingency. On the off chance something does heat up, I don't want you at risk."

"If someone has to go through a door," Catherine said persistently, "let it be Watts. Not you. Not this time."

Rebecca looked past Catherine out the bedroom window, struggling to find some balance between who she knew herself to be and who she would need to be if she were to keep Catherine in her life. "If we need to go through the door, I'll let Watts go through first today, but I can't promise you that I won't be right behind him." She met Catherine's eyes. "That's the best I can do."

"All right."

Rebecca's piercing gaze intensified. "And what about you? Am I going to have to worry about you while I'm trying to control the scene?"

"I'll stay with Clark until I'm needed. I promise."

They both moved at once and met each other in the middle of the room. Simultaneously, each slipped her arms around the other's waist, pressing together for a fierce kiss. A minute became two until finally each drew back a fraction with a regretful smile.

"Time to roll," Rebecca said softly, gently releasing her.

*****

Mitchell ran through her mental checklist. Automatic loaded. Back-up .32 in her right ankle holster. Extra ammo in the right front pocket of her jeans. Badge in the opposite front pocket. Cuffs in her left rear pocket where she could reach them while holding her gun on a suspect with her dominant right hand. She stopped by the front door of her apartment and snagged her black leather jacket off the clothes tree. She was in jeans, sneakers, and a short-sleeved football jersey. She couldn't think of anything else she needed--or needed to do. Fleetingly, she thought about making a phone call, but then thought better of it. It seemed like there should be someone, but there never really had been. Her family had never understood her reasons for wanting West Point, and had understood even less her reasons for leaving. Of course, it hadn't helped that she couldn't tell them why she resigned, because she would have been betraying secrets that were not hers to reveal. Now she was a cop, something else that no one in her family of business executives and investment brokers could fathom. The only person she could think of, in fact the only person she really wanted to call, was someone who considered the police her enemy. In the end, as it had always been, she was alone. She stepped through her door and went down the two flights of stairs out onto the sidewalk. A car was idling at the curb and she slid into the front seat.

"You all set, kid?" Watts asked.

"Yeah, I'm ready."

*****

When Rebecca and Catherine arrived at Sloan's shortly before four p.m., they found Sloan, Jason, and Mitchell waiting for them in the conference room. Avery Clark, along with two men who were apparently DOJ agents, joined them soon thereafter. Once they had all gathered around the table, Sloan and Jason flanking Rebecca at one end and Clark at the opposite end, the detective and the federal agent regarded each other expressionlessly, as if a silent debate were taking place as to who would speak first. Finally, Clark said, "Why don't you go ahead and lay it out for us, Detective Sergeant."

"Mr. McBride is to make contact with the subject at the Upstairs Connection, a cybercafe at 17th and Market at seven p.m. tonight." As she spoke, none of her surprise at the fact that Clark had allowed her to take control of the operation so easily showed in her face. It wasn't her experience that federal agents ever relinquished the lead to local law enforcement. It might simply indicate that Clark was the straightforward agent he represented himself to be, one whose only interest was in breaking the case. Only time would tell.

Then she continued speaking, letting every thought except those of the upcoming engagement fade from her mind. "As instructed, he will log on as BigMac10, his internet persona, in the usual chat room and wait for contact. Presumably, he will be given further instructions at that point. Sloan will be monitoring from a wireless unit in the lead trace car, both there and at the final destination. At this point, we have no reason to assume that the subject, LongJohnXXX, suspects Mr. McBride to be anything other than someone interested in viewing live sex with minors and a potential customer for future live broadcasts. Therefore, we don't expect resistance. Nevertheless, the exact location on this subject within the hierarchy of the organization is unknown, and he's considered a potential threat risk."

"Are you going to wire him?" one of Clark's agents interrupted, indicating Jason dismissively and drawing a quick flicker of disapproval from Clark.

"No," Rebecca answered calmly. "We considered it, but that's the one thing we think that the subject might check for, given even a normal level of suspicion. We don't want to blow McBride's cover before he gets inside the subject's house and we have access to the most recent downloads."

As Rebecca continued to outline the upcoming maneuver, Catherine watched her and the others at the table. She loved to watch Rebecca work. When Rebecca was in charge of an operation, every ounce of her considerable personal presence emerged--her strength and confidence and skill were undeniable. There was something both comforting and exciting in the unshakable certainty she exuded as she enumerated each detail--the order and positioning of the stakeout vehicles, each team's role in the apprehension of the subject, and the contingency plans if the subject deviated from the scenario they predicted him to follow. It was fascinating and terrifying to listen to the individuals seated around the table discuss an upcoming maneuver which could potentially result in injury or death to any one of them. All in a day's work, it seemed. To be able to confront that reality and ignore it required tremendous powers of both denial and self-assuredness. It also required a tremendous amount of trust. She began to understand the bond between police officers in a completely different way. It was more than just the connection that grew between two people who worked together. When you relied on someone for your very life day in and day out, the allegiance and commitment formed a bond that very little could break. She wondered what it would be like to have to work within that tight community and not have the support of one's fellows. For an instant, she thought of Mitchell and her experience that night in a dark alley when she had called for backup and no one had come. She glanced at the young officer and saw dedication and determination etched in each intense line of her face. Then her lover's voice penetrated her consciousness again and she saw only her.

"So," Rebecca said, her tone shifting as she wrapped things up. "Once we have the subject in custody, the crime scene team will be standing by to oversee evidence documentation." She looked around the room, assessing each individual. Clark seemed calm; his two agents fidgeted slightly as if impatient to get on with things. Jason had listened intently, but she had a feeling that he and Sloan had already had their own briefing. They appeared far less interested in the tactical maneuverings of the police than they probably were in their own plans for information assessment and transmission during the operation. Watts slouched next to Jason, looking bored as usual. Mitchell, next to him, had never moved her eyes from Rebecca's face during the entire briefing, as if she were memorizing each word. To her left, Sloan had not moved during the entire time either, and Rebecca detected a faint tremor in her hand where it rested on the table. On the far side of the security consultant, Catherine sat composed as always, quietly watching, absorbing, and evaluating.

"Sloan?" Rebecca asked, "Anything to add?"

Sloan cleared her throat and straightened slightly in her seat. "The success of the operation depends upon us hitting fast with absolutely no warning. Anyone with something to hide who knows anything about computers might program a destruct sequence which can be initiated with a keystroke or two. Depending upon this guy's level of knowledge and his degree of suspicion, he may very well have something like that in his system. We are going to have almost no time between entry and immobilization if we're going to preserve the critical evidence on his hard drive." She glanced to Jason once, an unreadable glance passing between the two of them, and then added, "The most important thing is that LongJohn has absolutely no reason to believe this is anything other than a meeting with a prospective client and fellow connoisseur."

"What about arming McBride?" Clark suggested. "He would be the logical one to subdue the subject if it seems as if he's about to destroy critical evidence."

Rebecca shook her head. "Not advisable. The subject is very likely to search him for evidence of weapons or a wire. We'll have a front and rear entry team, assuming there are two entrances, or a tandem front strike force. We'll be moving very quickly. Hopefully the element of surprise will be all that's necessary. In addition, I don't want McBride exposed as one of us. I intend to arrest him along with LongJohn and take him in to preserve his cover. Tonight is just the beginning of this sweep."

Clark nodded, and every law enforcement officer at the table knew that the individual at most risk in the entire operation was Jason, who would be unprotected and unarmed in the middle of a potentially violent situation.

Jason looked relaxed and calm, perfectly at ease. "Once we start receiving the live download, Sloan will be able to pick it up. I'll be expecting you, and he won't." He shrugged as if that settled things.

"All right," Rebecca said, standing. "We need the surveillance teams to move into position at 1800 hours. Assume that LongJohn is smart enough to check the area before he enters the cafe, so keep an eye out for anyone looking into parked vehicles."

Everyone rose, then began to separate into separate groups. Rebecca motioned to Catherine with a faint tip of her chin and the two of them stepped out into the corridor.

"If we're lucky, we won't need you," the detective said quietly.

"I think that I should ride with you and Sloan," Catherine said just as quietly. "Sloan's going to be monitoring the actual conversations that Jason and Long John are having, isn't she?"

"That's the plan," Rebecca said, beginning to see where Catherine was going and searching for an argument to counter it.

"In that case, I need to know what is being said between them as well. That's the only way I can judge the tenor of the situation, and it will give me a much better idea of LongJohn's state of mind. If I can be of any help at all, it's going to be in evaluating the threat risk. And to do that, I need to know what's being said."

"She's right," Sloan said from a foot away, having approached without their notice. "I was about to suggest the same thing, but I didn't want to do it in there."

Rebecca whirled to face Sloan, her blue eyes sharp as lasers, an acid retort on her lips. Fortunately, she managed to contain her temper, because the professional part of her knew that what Sloan and Catherine said made sense, and had she been thinking more like a cop and less like a lover, she would have suggested the same thing herself. "You're right," Rebecca admitted with a sigh.

Sloan, in black jeans and T-shirt, looked worn beyond exhaustion. Her normally vibrant eyes were dull with pain. Directing her next words to Catherine with just a hint of her old charm, she asked, "I assume that you can be trusted to stay in the vehicle if things get crazy?"

"Word of honor," Catherine agreed, her eyes on Rebecca.

Rebecca rubbed the bridge of her nose with one hand, rapidly making mental readjustments. "Okay, Catherine, you'll ride with us. I'll advise Clark and meet you two downstairs." She turned and walked away, leaving Catherine and Sloan alone.

"How are you doing?" Catherine asked gently.

"Okay," Sloan lied.

"Michael?"

Sloan shook her head. "She hasn't regained consciousness yet." Her eyes searched Catherine's face. "Are you sure she woke up earlier when..."

Catherine placed her hand on Sloan's arm and squeezed gently. "I'm absolutely positive, Sloan. She's just healing, and when her body has restored itself enough, she'll wake up. It's going to be all right."

"Thanks." Sloan sighed, accepting Catherine's comfort gratefully.

"You don't need to thank me. Just take care of yourself. Michael will need you strong when she wakes up."

Sloan nodded again, then squared her shoulders, her eyes clearing and determination hardening in her face. "We have a long way to go before we get to the people behind this. Tonight's just the opening move."

"Well, then," Catherine replied as they moved down the hall toward the elevators, "let's be sure to win this round."

 

chapter thirtythree

Rebecca, Sloan, and Catherine sat in a nondescript beige Ford sedan half a block down and diagonal to the Upstairs Connection. Rebecca continuously scanned the street, watching for anyone who appeared to be watching for them. They had arrived an hour before Jason's appointed rendezvous time. At 1845 they had seen him come down the street from the direction of the 15th and Market Street Subway Surface Car stop which he had taken to get there. At 1850 hours he had gone through the street level door that led to the second floor cybercafe and disappeared from their view.

Sloan worked silently, monitoring the connection she had established to the Internet using a sniffer software program that allowed her to hack into a local wireless network. She was completely unaware of anyone else's presence in the vehicle. Right now, Jason's safety and apprehending the suspect were her primary objective. As long as she focused on the screen, and the multiple programs she had running, she didn't think about Michael for at least a few minutes at a time. While she worked, she could almost ignore the constant ache in her chest.

In the back seat, Catherine waited patiently, having learned the ability to separate herself from the anxiety and distractions of others during her hours of therapy sessions. She had also learned to dissociate herself from her own internal issues and concerns. Doing that in the presence of her lover, whose health and wellbeing were of paramount concern to her, was more difficult than she had anticipated, however. She found if she concentrated on trying to understand just what Sloan was doing, it helped. Thus far, from what she could glean from the occasional update that Sloan provided Rebecca, she knew that Sloan was now monitoring the chat room where Jason was to meet LongJohn.

"Anything?" Rebecca asked calmly. She sat behind the wheel of the sedan, as relaxed as she usually got during a stakeout. The long hours of waiting could lull an unsuspecting, inexperienced officer into a state of lassitude which could result in dulled reflexes and impaired powers of perception. That meant you could be taken by surprise, and that could get you killed. She had learned long ago to maintain her level of alertness despite the boredom of inactivity. She constantly surveyed her surroundings, looking for anything out of the ordinary. It wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that LongJohn might have brought along an accomplice who would be watching for them just as they were watching for LongJohn and Jason. She needed to be certain that they were not followed when they followed their quarry.

Sloan shrugged and muttered, "I'm in the chat room. Jason just logged on. No contact yet from LongJohn."

"Is it possible that he won't actually come to this location?" Catherine asked. "Physically, I mean?"

"Possible," Rebecca answered. "He may just have wanted Jason on an unfamiliar machine where he couldn't use exactly the kind of programs that Sloan's using now to trace him. I'm still betting that he'll show here though. He's going to want to get a look at Jason."

"I agree," Sloan offered. "Otherwise, I think he would have simply given Jason instructions for the meeting privately, in any of a million rooms they could have gone to. If he's gotten this far, he trusts that Jason is who he says he is."

"Either way, if we follow Jason when he leaves here," Rebecca added, "we'll get to LongJo--"

"LongJohnXXX just logged on," Sloan advised, her voice sharp and her attention riveted to her laptop.

"Read out the conversation," Rebecca ordered.

 

LongJohnXXX: You there, Big Ten?

BigMac10: You know it. Primed and ready.

LongJohnXXX: What are you wearing?

BigMac10: LOL. Changing horses on me now?

LongJohnXXX: No way, buddy. You know me -- young and pretty and female. But hey, to each his own.

BigMac10: Olive green Dockers and a tan shirt. Pass inspection?

LongJohnXXX: Can't be too careful

BigMac10: You know it. What next?

LongJohnXXX: You about ready to take care of business?

BigMac10: Can't be too soon. I'm hurtin for something to ease my strain

LongJohnXXX: Give me 15, then wait outside. Your chariot approaches.

BigMac10: The service is appreciated. I'll be there.

 

Rebecca keyed her mike to the frequency Clark and his people were using as well as the radio in Watt's and Mitchell’s unmarked. "Anticipated contact, fifteen minutes. No make or model on subject vehicle."

A chorus of Rogers floated through the air and then silence.

"Everything seems aboveboard," Sloan said. Glancing over her shoulder, she looked to Catherine. "Impressions?"

"He wants to be sure that Jason understands he is heterosexual. He seems business-like and professional, but not particularly suspicious. I agree that he wanted to see Jason. Now he has, and apparently he feels comfortable proceeding. I don't see anything amiss at this point."

Rebecca set her watch to fourteen minutes and continued her silent vigil.

*****

Jason logged off and checked his watch. He and Sloan had previously discussed communicating via aliases online after LongJohn had contacted him, but had decided against it. There was no telling if LongJohn had associates who might be monitoring the chat room after LongJohn logged off. It was possible that LongJohn was still on-line himself under yet a different alias, checking to see if there was any unusual activity after their conversation. It seemed safer at this point to follow instructions until they were closer to LongJohn in the flesh.

He looked around the room, which was one large space with a dozen small tables equipped with Internet terminals. At the far end of the room was a small bar where you could get coffee and a limited selection of junk food. Almost every table was occupied, and no one looked particularly suspicious. Of course, what did your typical pedophile look like? At any rate, no one seemed to be paying special attention to him.

He wasn't particularly nervous. Playing roles for him was something that came naturally. The threat of physical danger didn't particularly worry him either. He wasn't a kickboxer like Sloan or a Kung Fu master like his lover, but he could handle himself in an altercation if he needed to. If things played out the way he and Sloan had theorized, when the time for the bust came, he doubted that LongJohn was going to pose much of a threat.

He glanced at his watch and smiled to himself. Five minutes till showtime.

*****

"Smoke?"

"No thanks."

"You mind?"

Mitchell stared at the detective in surprise. "It's your car, Detective."

"Yeah, but the Sarge always busts my balls about it."

"Well, I guess she can."

"Yeah." He fumbled through the pocket of his jacket until he found the crumpled pack of Camels and fingered one free. Cracking the window a couple of inches, he made an attempt to direct the smoke in that direction. "You ever been on a No Knock bust before?"

"No, sir."

"I'll go through the door first, and I want to feel your balls--uh, your--whatever, right up against my back the whole way. You stick to me like we're two dogs who just finished screwing."

"I can handle that," Mitchell said expressionlessly. She wondered if Watts had any idea what cadet training was like at West Point. She could crawl through ditches under live fire without flinching. Had done it, leading a platoon of cadets.

"Good. I don't want you getting separated and ending up shooting me."

"You don't have to worry about that, Detective."

He glanced at her, assessing her tone and expression. She looked perfectly steady and certain. "You scared, kid?"

"No, sir."

"Good." He settled his butt a little more comfortably on the seat and continued to smoke in silence. Until he had gotten hooked up with Rebecca Frye, he'd never worked with a woman before. Not one on one. Now he couldn't get away from them. It sure was a different world.

*****

Precisely 14 minutes later, Jason McBride exited through the doors of the Upstairs Connection and walked to the intersection of 17th and Market. A blue Mercedes SUV driving south on 17th pulled up next to him and the driver's window descended electrically. Rebecca saw Jason lean down, nod once, and walked around the front of the vehicle to slide into the front seat through the passenger door. She keyed her mike and started her engine. "We have contact." She gave a verbal description of the vehicle, knowing that Mitchell and Watts would run it through VI, Vehicle Identification, as they drove. She pulled into traffic allowing several cars and a minivan to move between her and the SUV. They drove just below the speed limit through the city to the on-ramp to Interstate 95. A minute or two later, Mitchell's voice came over the radio.

"No identification on the vehicle," Mitchell reported. "The plates are not registered."

"Forged, probably," Rebecca muttered. "Roger that."

After another minute, she dropped back and the black Buick driven by Watts pulled out from several cars behind her and passed to take over the lead position. They would alternate like this as long as needed until Jason's vehicle stopped. Somewhere behind them, Clark followed as well. If the SUV began to take evasive maneuvers, suggesting that the tail had been spotted, the third car would split off to triangulate an interception point. For now, whoever was driving the dark Mercedes ahead of them did not appear to be aware of their presence.

"Do you think that's LongJohn driving?" Sloan asked at one point.

"Most likely," Rebecca said, eyes fixed on the traffic ahead of her. "I can't see him inviting someone else to the party at this point. Any potential customer might get spooked meeting someone they hadn't anticipated. These guys are pretty suspicious as a group."

"I wonder what the hell they're talking about?" Sloan mused.

Rebecca shook her head. "I've got a feeling it's not the weather or sports."

"Well, whatever it is," Catherine interjected, "Jason is fast on his feet, and he and LongJohn have a relationship. That's why no one other than Jason could have done this at this point. He'll be okay."

He better be, Sloan thought. Because I can't take one more person I care about getting hurt.

Twenty minutes later they had circled nearly the entire city on expressways and arterials. They were approaching an area less than a mile north of Sloan's loft which still retained the flavor of a working-class neighborhood. The neighborhood, called Fishtown, consisted of row houses and singles interspersed along narrow streets where a few trees still managed to grow.

"Here we go," Rebecca said as the Mercedes signaled and pulled right towards an exit ramp. Once again, she opened the frequencies to the other members of the team. "Subject vehicle has turned right into a driveway on the corner of Girard and 4th. Single, two-story, white frame house--no number visible.  Detached garage, front and rear entries likely. I am preceding around the block and will approach from the north."

She deployed the other two vehicles where the officers and federal agents could easily approach the house from opposite directions. She and Sloan needed to be as close as possible so that Sloan could hack in and monitor the live download. Two minutes later, they were parked between several vehicles on the adjoining street where they had a clear sightline to the house. Lights were visible in a rear room on the first floor.

"We might be lucky," Rebecca said. "The doors should be fairly easy to breach, and if they're in that room, we should be inside and have containment in less than 10 seconds."

Sloan didn't reply, feverishly running through programs attempting to establish a strong enough signal to trace the activity from LongJohn's computer. Finally, after what seemed like an interminable wait, an image flickered and then stabilized on her screen.

Three pairs of eyes focused on the 15 inch color monitor. For a moment, the images were indistinct, and then the focus cleared and they were able to see two young girls walking naked into a room furnished with a large bed and not much else.

"Got you, you son of a bitch," Sloan whispered.

CHAPTER THIRTYFOUR

"Should we go in?" Rebecca asked Sloan, an edge in her voice. She hated having a man out of sight and hearing, particularly inside a building with a perp of unknown violence potential. Especially while she sat in a car hatching the radio.

From the backseat, Catherine placed a hand lightly on her shoulder and urged, "Wait a few minutes if you can." She had been sitting quietly, watching the figures on Sloan's screen. A man had entered the room, joining the two young girls. He wore a nondescript uniform, apparently supposed to represent a delivery person of some kind. The two naked girls feigned surprise and awkward shyness, all of it clearly staged but not nearly as artificial as she might have expected. There was a sense of cinema verité that was all too professional and deeply disturbing given the subject matter. "I'd give--this--a while to run, because I think LongJohn is more likely to be preoccupied the longer this goes on."

Turning in the front seat to face her, Rebecca glanced sharply at her, aware of the hollow note in her voice. Stakeout operations like these were never easy, not when pent up, adrenalized excitement and the fear of something going wrong invariably combined to make you crazy. This time it was even harder, because she was certain that Catherine must be feeling tremendous sympathy for the young girls who were being degraded and victimized while they watched.

"No matter what we do here," Rebecca reminded her gently, "it won't make any difference to them. Not tonight, at least."

"I know," Catherine replied tonelessly, not looking directly at Rebecca. "Ten minutes. That should be about right."

Rebecca keyed her mike and instructed the other teams, "We'll go in ten. Team one, you have the front; team two, the rear. Move into position and wait for my signal." After terminating the transmission, Rebecca glanced at Sloan. "Are you getting what you need?"

"Looks like it," Sloan said without glancing up, still rapidly sequencing through programs and downloading as much information as she could.

"Okay, good," Rebecca said. "You two stay here until the all clear." She handed Sloan a handy talkie. "I'll contact you on this as soon as we have secured the location. Then you can get a look at his system."

"Good enough," Sloan said. For the first time in the last hour she lifted her gaze from the computer monitor. "Look out for Jason, will you?"

"Absolutely," Rebecca said. As she lifted the handle, swung open the door, and put one leg out, she glanced briefly again into the rear seat. Catherine was watching her. "I'll see you in a few minutes."

"Yes," Catherine responded softly, her eyes on Rebecca’s face. Memorizing it, as if it hadn’t already been indelibly carved on her heart.

As Rebecca slipped away into the darkness, Catherine wondered once again what it was that made someone do that. What was it that allowed an individual to place herself in imminent peril to right some wrong or correct some injustice. She continued to stare at the house, barely able to make out a flicker in the shadows which she imagined would be Watts and Mitchell and perhaps the Justice agents. She tried to imagine what they were thinking, and finally decided that there was no way she could, not without having experienced it. Suddenly, she understood some of why it was that police officers rarely had friendships outside the force. She also understood why they had such a high rate of divorce. How could anyone who did not do this on a daily basis possibly understand what it was to go out day after day and face the unknown. An unknown which could very well kill you.

"She'll be fine," Sloan said as if reading her mind.

Without taking her eyes off the front of the building, where she could just see the door but could not see the figures whom she knew must be crouching in the shadows, she said once more, softly, "Yes."

*****

"Did I tell you or did I tell you?" LongJohn said with a note of both excitement and pride in his voice. “This is the real thing. Primo, man.”

The two men were seated in front of a twenty-one inch flat screen computer monitor in small comfortable easy chairs with a TV table between them. Two open bottles of beer sat on the table flanking a bowl of peanuts. On the screen, the now naked 30-year-old man, a big beefy guy who looked like a college football player gone to fat, stood by the side of the bed while one of the preteen girls performed fellatio on him. Kneeling on the floor next to them, the other girl fondled him. His large hand roamed over her barely perceptible breasts.

"Oh, yeah, it's everything you said," Jason said, facing the screen and fixing his gaze on a point two inches above it. He had watched enough to know that this was what they had been waiting for. He didn't want to see the details. "Worth every penny, guy. And more so. I wouldn't mind getting this on a regular basis."

"Like I said, that can be arranged," LongJohn said, his eyes riveted to the screen. “All you need is a little green and the right connections. We’ll pipe this straight to your bedroom.”

“Just tell me where to sign,” Jason replied. The live download had been running for almost ten minutes and he wasn't certain how long it would last. More importantly, he estimated that the strike force would make their move soon. Now was the time for a little diversion.

"You know, I've been waiting all weekend for this," Jason said, purposefully lowering his voice and hesitating as if he were having trouble catching his breath. "I'm afraid I might pop in my pants if I don't do something about it pretty soon."

"Go ahead, man. Feel free. I'm in need of a little relief myself," his companion answered.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jason could see LongJohn rhythmically squeezing the crotch of his jeans as he stared fixedly at the monitor. Jason made a show of unbuttoning his chinos and lowering his fly. He wasn't worried that LongJohn would watch him, because LongJohn wasn't interested in what Jason had between his legs. He was interested in watching the children performing sex acts on the man on the screen. Jason slipped his hand inside his trousers and faked a moaned. He wasn't hard, but LongJohn would never know that. He spread his legs wider and murmured, "Oh yeah, that's better."

Next to him, he heard the sound of a zipper sliding down followed by a grunt as LongJohn reached inside his jeans. The sounds from the speakers were mostly moans and strangled grunts and fragmented bits of dialogue that combined with Jason's intentionally audible breathing and LongJohn's escalating groans. Jason hoped the noise would help mask the sounds of the police entry and add to the general confusion when the strike force descended on them. His only concern now was that LongJohn would be quicker to the finish line then he had anticipated. The guy had freed himself from the confines of his pants, and from the sound of his breathing and the rapid creaking of the chair as the other man rocked his hips in an ever increasing crescendo, Jason feared that his diversion would be shot before Frye and friends arrived.

And he hadn’t planned a second act.

*****

"On three," Rebecca whispered into her mike. "Three, two, one... GO."

Watts hit the door with his considerable bulk and it broke loose from the frame, crashing inward with a splinter of wood and popping screws. Rebecca was surprised at the speed with which the big man moved. In an instant he had disappeared into the darkened room, Mitchell close behind. Distantly, she heard an echoing crash from somewhere in the depths of the house. Clark’s team.

 Rebecca moved low through the doorway, stepping up quickly next to Mitchell. They turned their backs to one another, guns extended in two-handed grips, each of them scanning opposite sides of the room. Watts was out in front, beside the door on the wall opposite the entry, peering around the corner into the next room.

“Clear,” Mitchell shouted.

“Go,” Rebecca ordered, and they all surged forward. Within a matter of seconds they were in a large recreation room filled with computers, video machines, and graphics equipment. On a large monitor on an elevated shelf the sexual scene they had observed from the car continued to run. Moans and cries and hoarse oh yeahs provided a backdrop to the general confusion.

 Watts yanked the suspect, a youngish white male in a T-shirt and jeans, from the chair and pushed him spread-eagled onto the floor. Kneeling with one meaty leg in the center of the stunned man’s back, Watts glanced up at Rebecca with a satisfied smile. "What do you think, huh, Sarge? Caught the scumbags with their dicks in their hand."

“Just read him the card," Rebecca said, referring to the Miranda warning. Mitchell had Jason, who was loudly protesting for all to hear that he’d no idea LongJohn planned to show a sex video, in the same position on the floor and was snapping cuffs onto him as she recited his rights in a flat monotone. She lifted her radio and said, “Sloan, come on ahead.” Then, switching frequencies, "Dispatch, this is Detective Sergeant Frye. I need the crime scene team at..."

"That won't be necessary, Detective," Avery Clark said as he and the two agents converged on the scene from the rear of the house. "We’ll be taking the equipment into custody."

"The hell you will," Rebecca snapped, ignoring the faint sound of the dispatcher calling her name over her radio. "This is my crime scene and I'll log the evidence."

Clark shook his head. "Sorry, Detective. We have jurisdictional priority here." He turned to one of the two federal agents with him and said, "Go ahead, Reynolds. Start packing this stuff up. Call and get the rest of the team to give you a hand."

Sloan caught his last statements as she entered the room. "You lying son of a bitch," she seethed, stalking towards Clark from across the room. "Is this what you call a joint investigation? We lead you to the suspect and then you take all the evidence?"

Rebecca edged forward as she noted all three of the Justice agents stiffen, ready to intervene if Sloan put hands on him. She had no doubt that this time Clark or one of his men would get physical.

"If we find anything that we can pass along to you in the way of other guys like this," Clark said, nodding toward LongJohn, who slumped in Watts’ grasp, staring dumbly at the strangers who were beginning to dismantle his equipment, “I will. We’re after the big fish here, not the pervs sitting around getting off on this garbage.”

“What about what happened to Michael?” Sloan demanded angrily, raising her voice above the cacophony and attracting further attention from Clark’s two underlings, both of whom edged closer. “We need to follow the trail from here to find out who’s behind that.”

Clark met her hot gaze impassively. “You’ll get info on a need to know basis.”

“I’ll get the fucking info right fucking now,” she grated, heading toward the CPU the bigger of the two Justice agents was standing guard over. Clark stepped to intercept her, but before he could, Rebecca grasped her arm and stopped her in mid-stride.

“Hold up, Sloan,” Rebecca cautioned. Leaning close she whispered harshly, “You touch one of them and you’ll end up spending the night in a cell down at the Federal Building.”

For a fraction of a second, something dark passed through Sloan’s eyes. It was a mixture of fury and pain. “Son of a bitch,” she whispered hoarsely.

“Yeah,” Rebecca muttered through clenched jaws, just as frustrated and  angry. But it hadn't been the first time, and it most likely wouldn't be the last time time that when it came time to reap the benefits of a joint operation, the local authorities were left with nothing. A hand still on Sloan’s arm, she ordered, “Watts, get those two down to headquarters."

"You can have him," Clark said amiably, nodding toward Jason. "I want first crack at this guy," he said, indicating LongJohn with his head.

Rebecca stepped very close to him, her chest nearly touching his. She was an inch taller, and for an instant his smile faltered. “To do what? Offer him a deal?”

"We just want to talk to him. Then you can have him."

“”You’re all heart, Clark,” she snarled. Walking to where Watts and Mitchell waited, Sloan following reluctantly, she said, “Come on, let’s get out of here.”

chapter thirtyfive

“What’s happening?” Catherine asked as Sloan and Rebecca flung themselves into the sedan and slammed the doors. “Is Jason all right?”

“He’s fine,” Sloan replied, suddenly weary beyond belief. The only thing she wanted was to get back to Michael.

“Did you get LongJohn?”

“Yeah, and we’ve been screwed,” Rebecca seethed as she ignitioned the car and pulled away from the curb in one rapid motion. “Clark’s taking first crack at the suspect and the evidence.”

“Which means,” Sloan added darkly, “we’ll never get anything out of any of it.”

Catherine stared from one to the other of the women in the front seat of the careening vehicle. The level of fury and frustration was incendiary. “What about the task force—the investigation?”

Rebecca laughed bitterly. “My guess is it will be tabled while the feds play games trying to get this guy—LongJohn—whoever he turns out to be, to name names or lead them to the next guy who will. With a real live perp, and one who is connected enough to be brokering sales of these sex videos, Clark probably figures he’s got a hotter lead than anything we can turn up from the internet. At least for now,” Rebecca clarified, trying to keep her anger at bay while she considered her options. Clark might have stonewalled her for the time being, but the investigation wasn’t dead. There was still a porn ring to break, and a leak somewhere to plug. And Jeff’s killer to find.

“And the children?” Catherine asked quietly. “Where do they fit into this plan?”

There was an uncomfortable silence, then Rebecca answered, “Eventually, the pornography ring will be exposed—either during the Feds' sweep if they ever make a case—or by one of us at the local level. Someone will get to them.”

“That could take months, couldn’t it?” Catherine was struggling to understand how the politics of this jurisdictional battle could be allowed to affect the welfare of these innocent victims, but she knew in her heart that there would never be any sense to it.

Clark’s agenda is to bring down the organized crime syndicate that controls drugs, racketeering, prostitution, protection—you name it,” Sloan said resignedly. “In one way or another it affects thousands, and the federal government isn’t particularly interested in saving the few.”

“But then, what about the pornographers?” Catherine insisted. “Are they going to get away with this?”

“No,” Rebecca responded firmly. “Special Crimes has always been after the guys who were marketing kids. This internet search was one way to get to them, but it’s not the only way. We know more about how the ring works now—we’ll just have to go back to the streets and do it the way we always have.”

She was thinking of what Sandy had told her about the young prostitutes who had been involved in making sex films. She and Watts needed to track them down. She remembered too Sandy’s offer to sign on for one of the films. I can pass, Frye. I’ve done it before. Rebecca blew out a frustrated breath. “I’ve still got some leads.”

“You’ve got more than that,” Sloan responded with a hint of her usual fire.

Rebecca glanced at her sharply. “What do you mean?”

“I’ve got the download of tonight’s video,” Sloan said, lifting her laptop. “All of it. There’s information I can get from that. I might not be able to tell you a street address, but given enough time, I can probably give you a sector location. It’ll be a place to start.”

“You’re likely to be unemployed by tomorrow, Sloan,” Rebecca reminded her. “If Clark gets anything out of this guy, he’ll probably work that angle in preference to anything else we might get from the Internet.”

“I told you,” Sloan replied evenly, “I don’t work for Clark. Someone behind this pornography operation, or someone working with whoever’s running it, tried to have me killed. They put my lover in the hospital. I’m not done with this yet.”

“No,” Rebecca added, thinking that this someone was probably the same person who had her previous partner killed, “neither am I.”

*****

“What a fuckarow,” Watts grumbled. “Although we should have seen it coming. You can never trust the Feds.”

Jason rubbed his wrists, trying to erase the slight indentations the cuffs had made. He was also trying to erase the images he still held of the scene on the monitor.

“You okay?” Mitchell asked with concern, looking over the back of the front seat at him. “I didn’t mean to ratchet it them so tight. Habit.”

“No,” he said quickly, “I’m fine. Just pissed off. I know that guy knows how this whole part of the operation works. Did you see the setup he had in that room? He’s a relay station. I’ll bet he remasters those feeds and makes high quality wholesale products. He’s probably got customer lists, for Christ sake.”

“Well, if he does,” Watts grunted, “the Feds will find it in about a year. You know damn well if they had anyone who could actually do the kind of voodoo you and Sloan have been doing, they’d have used them to begin with instead of coming to you.”

“Maybe.” Jason smiled wryly at Watts’ veiled compliment. “Then why cut us out now, when we’ve finally got something to work with.”

“Because they don’t want to spend time and resources on the street side of the operation,” Mitchell said cynically. “All they wanted was a key—someone they could twist who would lead them inside the organization. They’ll probably turn this guy and send him right back out to work. He could be back in the kiddie smut business in a day or two. Except this time he’ll be feeding the Feds information while he peddles skin to other guys like BigMac10. That’s how Federal cases get made. Inside informants. Rats in the garbage dump.”

Watts looked at the young woman beside him sharply. Smart kid and good in the crunch, too.

Jason sighed. “I know, believe me. I’ve seen the wheels of Justice turn, and most of the time it’s in reverse. What a colossal waste.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Watts muttered almost to himself. “Maybe not. We know some things we didn’t know before.”

And knowing Frye, we’re not about to let this go.  

 

*****

“Has she said anything?” Sloan asked quietly, moving carefully through the dimly lit room to the bedside where Sarah waited.

“No,” Sarah replied gently, rising. “She’s just been sleeping.”

Sloan brushed her fingers lightly over Michael’s hand where it lay motionless on the sheets, lingering for a moment on the wedding band she had placed there. “Jason’s fine,” she added, her eyes moving to her lover’s still face.

“I know,” Sarah answered. “He called me from the office. Said you were probably on your way here. I’m going to go pick him up now and take him home.”

“Good,” Sloan said wearily, settling into the chair by the bed. “He’s okay, Sarah, but the whole thing was ugly. To say nothing of pointless.”

“He sounded drained,” Sarah agreed. “And you look it. I don’t suppose you’d consider going home for a few hours?”

Sloan shook her head, a faint smile on her face. “No.”

“Okay, then.” Sarah brushed her fingers through her friend’s dark hair, letting her fingers rest on her cheek. “Try not to worry.”

“Sure.”

When the door had closed, Sloan leaned forward and took Michael’s hand. “Hey,” she murmured softly. “I love you. I’ll be here.”

*****

Rebecca leaned against the shower wall and let the steaming water pound over her body, hoping it would drive some of the tension from her body and the disillusionment from her consciousness. The door slid open and Catherine stepped inside.

“Mind company?”

“Nothing I’d like better,” Rebecca answered, reaching for the shampoo. “Turn around. I’ll wash your hair.”

Catherine turned her back, resting her hips against Rebecca’s thighs, and tilted her head back so that her lover could work the lather through her hair. As strong fingers massaged her scalp, she groaned, “God, that’s criminally good.”

“You look criminally good,” Rebecca murmured, leaning forward until her breasts pressed into Catherine’s back and her pelvis moved against Catherine’s rear.  For the first time in hours, she realized that she wasn’t thinking about anything at all—anything beyond how the faint brush of her nipples over Catherine’s skin started a pulse thudding between her legs. She moved her soapy hands from her lover’s hair and slid her palms over the tops of Catherine’s shoulders, then down her arms. “I love you.”

Catherine closed her eyes, aware of the tingling wherever Rebecca had touched. Reaching for those clever hands, she drew them to her breasts, gasping as willing fingers closed over her nipples. “Oh, God.”

Rebecca braced her back against the wall, cradling Catherine in her arms, still back to front--working her nipples, massaging her breasts, brushing her fingers lightly down her belly and then back up again. “You make me so hot,” she whispered, her lips close to Catherine’s ear. “You make me wet just thinking about touching you.”

“Don’t just…think,” Catherine replied, her legs shaking. “Touch.” Reaching behind herself with one hand, she insinuated it between their bodies, working her palm down Rebecca’s abdomen, feeling muscles tighten under her caress. When she reached the space between her lover’s thighs, she slid a finger on either side of her clitoris, squeezing steadily until Rebecca groaned against her neck. “Cause I’m way past hot already.”

“Careful…you’ll make me come,” Rebecca warned, her voice low and tight. Catherine seemed not to hear and continue to milk her length until she jerked against Catherine’s hand, a fist of pleasure threatening to burst inside. “Oh fuck…”

“Uh huh,” Catherine gasped, her free hand on Rebecca’s wrist, guiding her hand between her own legs. Moaning at the first press of Rebecca’s fingers, she turned her head, her teeth catching skin at the base of Rebecca’s throat.

As Catherine worked her relentlessly toward orgasm, Rebecca pushed deeper between Catherine’s thighs until she was inside her, enclosed by the smooth grip of firm muscles. Then she took her with quick, hard, driving strokes that echoed the blood pounding fiercely through her depths--the fury of her thrusts propelled by Catherine’s sharp cries of encouragement. Shuddering, barely breathing, she locked her knees as she came to keep from falling, supporting her lover’s body as Catherine stiffened, then convulsed in her arms.

Eventually they managed to finish the shower, both of them quiet. When they stood together naked, toweling off, Catherine said, “What the hell was that?” At Rebecca’s quizzical glance, she added, “The last thing I was thinking about when I joined you in there was sex. I wasn’t certain after watching that awful video when I would think about it again. Then, I’m practically ready to come the second you touch me.”

“Adrenalin,” Rebecca replied, reaching for an old pair of gym shorts. Pulling them on, she continued, “It happens after that kind of operation—the fear and the stress come out like that sometimes.”

“What did you do when you were unattached?”

“When I was still drinking, I drank. After I quit, I went to the gym. Once in while,” she shrugged, grinning sheepishly, “I’d find company.”

“Hmm,” Catherine mused, slipping into her robe. “See that you come directly here should the occasion arise in the future.”

“That was my plan,” Rebecca responded, pulling her close.

“What else are you planning…about…all of this?” Catherine asked, threading her arms around her waist.

“I’ll be back on regular duty in a day or so. I’ll have other cases, Clark will pull the plug on this task force…and I’ll keep doing what I’m trained to do until we make this right—for Jeff, for Michael, for those young kids.”

“Yes,” Catherine murmured, “until justice is done--for all of them.”

 

The End  

Comments please to radclyffe@radfic.com

This story is a work of fiction and is not intended to represent any particular individual, alive or dead. This work may not be printed or distributed for profit without the express written permission of the author.


Return to The Bard's Corner