XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS VIRTUAL EPISODE

 

DISCLAIMER: The following episode is an independent piece and is a work of fiction based upon the television series Xena: Warrior Princess. The original characters are used strictly for fan purposes and not for profit. There is no intent to infringe upon or violate any copyrights held by Studio USA, Renaissance Pictures, Universal Television or any other organisation that owns the rights to this series.

 

The script, story ideas, and any characters created by the authors that are not part of the original series are copyrighted and remain the sole property of those authors. Also, any original artworks are copyrighted and remain the sole property of those artists. Permission to use any of the written or drawn works herein must be submitted to the original author(s) and artist(s).

 

WARNING: [ALT] Some content may offend younger readers. Parental discretion is advised.

 

My gratefulness is extended to Hadley Langosy for introducing me to script-writing. To MacavityCat for teaching how to refine the stories. To Talice, Heather and a few others that Beta-read many of my works. And to Scully, Vio B, Gina and many other artists that have drawn such captivating pictures for the XWPVS.

 

My special thanks to MaryD for allowing my stories to be published on her web-site to be read by so many Xena fans.

 

SEPARATION

 

Written by Richard B.Kloosterboer

 

Beta-read by the Elysian Bards

 

TEASER

 

1. EXT. TOWN IN NORTHERN SCANDINAVIA - AFTERNOON

 

Xena and Gabrielle are stocking up on supplies, trading with pelts and have bartered a couple of sturdy horses. Gabrielle has sold several copied scrolls of their adventures across the world so that they can afford proper lodgings for the chilly nights in Scandinavia.

 

At a little market in a township Gabrielle is browsing through a shopping stall and her eye catches the glint of an unusual piece of jewellery.

 

The shopkeeper approaches her enthusiastically.

 

SHOPKEEPER

 

That will make a fine wedding heirloom, young lady.

 

(beat)

 

Do you have someone special in mind?

 

Gabrielle blushes and smiles while she studies the brooch.

 

SHOPKEEPER

 

Yes… I see it in your eyes…

 

(beat)

 

Come by later… no, keep it. A gift.

 

Gabrielle wants to give the heirloom back. The Shopkeeper's eyes have a strange exciting glow.

 

XENA

 

(voice-over)

 

Gabrielle… it's time to go.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(half-turns)

 

I'll be right there.

 

Gabrielle turns back to empty air. The shopkeeper has disappeared.

 

Xena is by her side.

 

XENA

 

What's that? Let me see?

 

GABRIELLE

 

It's nothing.

 

Gabrielle hides the heirloom selfishly into her pouch.

 

XENA

 

(indifferent)

 

Fine. Lets go get some rest. We have a long way to travel tomorrow.

 

Gabrielle ponders about her encounter. She feels eyes spying on her.

 

CUT TO:

 

2. INT. SHOPKEEPER STALL - EVENING

 

Two shadowy figures are talking to each other.

 

SHADOW 1

 

Are you sure she is the one?

 

SHADOW 2

 

I am sure, milord. She has the guilt of death. She will kill no more.

 

SHADOW 1

 

Perfect. She will be my wife.

 

(beat)

 

Gather the others. Tonight I will wed.

 

SHADOW 2

 

By your leave, milord.

 

The second shadow rushes away. The first shadow comes under a flickering torch light. His handsome face with long ginger curls flow onto a strong muscular body dressed in a simple white shirt and baggy blue pants.

 

His ice cold stare glares at the full moon on the horizon. His grim smile matching his eyes in contrast to his features.

 

CUT TO:

 

3. INT. TAVERN GUEST ROOM - NIGHT

 

Gabrielle gets out of bed very carefully and puts on her long winter coat over her dress. She takes her boots outside the room and sits near a bench to put them on. Then she leaves the tavern.

 

Xena's eyes open and she quickly gets up to follow Gabrielle.

 

CUT TO:

 

4. INT. SHOPKEEPERS STALL - NIGHT

 

Gabrielle enters the little shop cautiously and by herself. The Shopkeeper greets her.

 

SHOPKEEPER

 

Welcome back, Gabrielle.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(defensive)

 

How do you know my name?

 

The shopkeeper laughs heartily and holds up a scroll.

 

SHOPKEEPER

 

You are a celebrity. You've autographed this scroll for my daughter. She is your biggest fan, you know?

 

GABRIELLE

 

(smile)

 

If you've asked me to come and meet your daughter then…

 

SHOPKEEPER

 

No, there is another admirer of yours who wants to meet you.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Who?

 

SHOPKEEPER

 

Your husband.

 

Gabrielle's jaw drops open in shocked surprise.

 

FADE OUT:

 

FADE IN:

 

5. EXT. SHOP IN MARKET PLACE - NIGHT

 

Xena is trying to keep warm in the shadows.

 

Suddenly alert she sees Gabrielle come out of a shop. She approaches her cautiously.

 

XENA

 

Gabrielle?

 

Gabrielle sees Xena and gives her an icy cold stare.

 

GABRIELLE

 

I have to leave…

 

(beat - whisper)

 

…you!

 

Xena remains speechless at the cold response as Gabrielle walks back to the tavern.

 

CUT TO:

 

6. EXT. A MEADOW IN NORTHERN SCANDINAVIA - MIDDAY

 

The next day Xena and Gabrielle are leading their horses through a meadow. The weather is still chilly and they are wearing their long winter coats over their usual gear.

 

Gabrielle seems despondent as she fondles the purple glowing brooch clipped to her mantle. Xena is hiding her worry for her.

 

XENA

 

You don't mind if I just tag along a bit?

 

GABRIELLE

 

No… I don't mind. Its not far.

 

XENA

 

Gabrielle… I…

 

Xena clamps up. The words stick in her throat.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Don't Xena. Don't make it harder then it already is.

 

(beat)

 

My choice, remember? My decision.

 

Xena stops walking. Gabrielle turns around and her emerald eyes lock fearfully with her friend's grief stricken blue eyes.

 

Xena's heart is breaking and Gabrielle can't stop her own anguish.

 

XENA

 

(stressing)

 

There must be another w…

 

GABRIELLE

 

(terse)

 

There isn't!

 

Gabrielle climbs onto her mare in one swift move and looks ahead.

 

GABRIELLE

 

I've changed my mind. I will travel alone. You cannot come with me to The Edge.

 

Xena clutches Gabrielle's arm.

 

Gabrielle looks down at Xena, both have tears brimming on edge.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(whispers)

 

I will never stop loving you.

 

Gabrielle drops her backpack with scrolls and ink on the ground. She spurs her mare on leaving Xena behind.

 

Xena watches her best friend disappear into a mist near The Edge.

 

XENA

 

(stammering)

 

Gabrielle! Don't lea…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

END TEASER

 

 

 

ACT I

 

7. INT. ICE CASTLE

 

A minion wearing a light blue robe approaches a handsome fellow with long ginger curls flowing onto a strong muscular body dressed in a simple white shirt and baggy blue pants.

 

MINION

 

My Lord Derrickson.

 

(beat - bow)

 

Your bride has arrived at The Edge.

 

Derricksson waves his hand in a wide vertical arc. An image appears on a sheet of crystal clear ice. He sees Gabrielle waiting patiently.

 

With a snap of his fingers an ice bridge forms.

 

CUT TO:

 

8. EXT. ICE BRIDGE AT THE EDGE - DAY

 

Gabrielle's features don't even flinch when a bridge of ice appear in front of her.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

(voice over)

 

Gabrielle…

 

Gabrielle betrays a little surprise at the disembodied voice.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

(voice over)

 

Step onto the bridge.

 

Gabrielle spurs her mare forward. The horse refuses to budge.

 

She dismounts and cautiously puts her foot on the ice bridge.

 

Its not an illusion and she continues on.

 

CUT TO:

 

Out of the mist Xena arrives.

 

XENA

 

Gabrielle… stop!

 

Gabrielle's mare shifts nervously and refuses to move further.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(strain)

 

You are making it so hard.

 

(beat-turns)

 

I'm trying to protect you.

 

XENA

 

Why?

 

Gabrielle shakes her head and continues over the bridge.

 

Xena reaches the bridge, but already its connection to The Edge are eroding. A wall of ice stops Xena in her tracks.

 

XENA

 

(hits the wall of ice)

 

I won't give up.

 

(beat)

 

I'll get the bastard that did this to you.

 

Gabrielle smiles ironically as she reaches the other side of the bridge.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(whispers)

 

I know you will.

 

The Ice Bridge collapses behind her marooning her near the Ice Castle.

 

CUT TO:

 

9. INT. ICE CASTLE

 

Derricksson leaves the illusion of the ice bridge on for a moment longer as Gabrielle sets foot on the side of the castle. He curls his hand in a fist and the ice bridge shatters.

 

Gabrielle does not budge and does not look behind her.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Impressive! She shows no fear. However…

 

(beat)

 

Xena could be a problem.

 

Derricksson turns to his minion.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Find someone to quietly dispose of Xena…

 

(beat)

 

And let Gabrielle inside her new home.

 

MINION

 

(bows obediently)

 

By your command, milord.

 

CUT TO:

 

10. INT. ICE CASTLE THRONE ROOM

 

A bluish light appears and a portal opens.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Sister Lysia. Just in time for my latest wedding.

 

LYSIA

 

I've come to warn you, brother. This mad obsession of yours has gone on far enough.

 

(beat)

 

Release this woman from the curse she carries.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

The Sabre-Tooth Brooch is our most coveted heirloom. It has chosen this mortal woman to be my wife. I can't disappoint its blessing.

 

LYSIA

 

This brooch is not for the gods. We cannot touch it.

 

(beat)

 

Let her go.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

She will love me…

 

(beat - looks at Lysia)

 

The Brooch will be mine to wield.

 

LYSIA

 

Foolish boy. The Sabre-Tooth Brooch is not a weapon one can wield.

 

(beat)

 

It shares its strength with true love.

 

(beat)

 

What you are doing destroys the very fabric of mortality.

 

Derricksson gives Lysia an icy look. Lysia just chuckles infuriating him even more.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

You are fortunate that you are immune to my powers, or else…

 

LYSIA

 

Yes, I would have joined your legacy.

 

(beat - arm sweeps around the throne room)

 

Look at the lives you destroyed. Your former wives encased in ice.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

They deceived me… they lied to me…

 

(beat)

 

They didn't love me.

 

LYSIA

 

Like you were honest to them? You ripped them away from their loved ones.

 

(softens)

 

Brother, you have to be responsible with mother nature.

 

(beat)

 

You have a heart of ice and only true love can melt it.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Yes… but she has to forsake her own true love and put me in that place.

 

LYSIA

 

(annoyed)

 

Oh you are behaving like a spoiled brat.

 

(beat)

 

Can't you see she's hurting inside? Look at her. Her face is stone cold. Her heart belongs to someone else and you are tearing them apart.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

I will give her everything she has ever dreamed of.

 

Lysia steps through her portal.

 

LYSIA

 

If you give Gabrielle her freedom, that will be enough.

 

(beat)

 

Your home will be her prison.

 

Lysia's portal closes. Leaving her bewildered half-brother pondering her words. Derricksson shrugs and looks onto the vision of Gabrielle with selfish anticipation.

 

CUT TO:

 

11. EXT. ICE CASTLE

 

Gabrielle stares at the high walls of the castle studying its defences. The ice wall glows briefly and melts a hole in front of her. The minion of the Ice-God steps through.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(cold stare)

 

You are the shopkeeper that gave me this brooch.

 

MINION

 

I am the humble servant of the God of Ice.

 

(beat)

 

Welcome, Queen Gabrielle.

 

Gabrielle reluctantly enters the Ice Castle without looking back.

 

The ice wall closes behind her.

 

CUT TO:

 

12. EXT. TOWN IN NORTHERN SCANDINAVIA - EVENING

 

Xena rides slowly into town. She's towing Gabrielle's mare and the Bard's backpack is tied to the saddle. Curious townsfolk look once and then quickly hide inside their homes.

 

A man of importance confronts Xena's horse and she stops.

 

MAN

 

Turn back to where you've come from. You will take no more of ours.

 

XENA

 

(glowering)

 

You must have mistaken me for someone else.

 

The man unrolls a scroll with a picture of Xena on it.

 

MAN

 

There is no mistake.

 

An eerie glow is in the man's eyes. Xena squints.

 

XENA

 

(husky)

 

What are you?

 

The man stiffens.

 

MAN

 

I am Dolfsson… Town Magistrate.

 

XENA

 

(relaxing)

 

I don't think you are…

 

Xena notices that she is being surrounded.

 

XENA

 

(patting the mare)

 

Well girl, we're very popular today.

 

(beat - flip)

 

SHEEEEEYAA!

 

Xena flips off the horse's back and through the air. She lands on a rooftop. Not wanting to stick around she quickly traverses over the roofs and jumps over alleyways.

 

She crouches down on another roof and listens for the sound of running feet in the streets below her.

 

Looking over the edge Xena spots the shop where all the trouble began and jumps gently to the ground. Hiding her face in the cloak she's wearing she makes her way to the shop.

 

Xena hears footsteps and hides in the shadows. She sees the possessed Magistrate looking around. His eyes have an icy look to them.

 

He is by himself and before he can react Xena knocks him to the ground. She applies the Pinch on him.

 

The possessed magistrate smiles evilly.

 

Xena gets up quickly and stands ready to fight.

 

POSSESSED MAGISTRATE

 

My blood is frozen. Do you really think you can stop me…

 

Xena kicks him in the stomach. She hears something shatter, like ice breaking.

 

XENA

 

Guess you are vulnerable, huh?

 

POSSESSED MAGISTRATE

 

(icy eyes wide)

 

NO!

 

Xena kicks him again against his head and he completely shatters in a million ice-splinters.

 

She looks around, sees no-one and quickly enters the shop.

 

CUT TO:

 

13. INT. THE SHOP - EVENING

 

Cautiously Xena moves inside the shop. A dim light is on in the back

 

and she takes a look inside the next room.

 

She sees stacks of open wooden boxes with flattened scrolls and parchments in them.

 

A frail old man is concentrating deeply into them.

 

OLD MAN

 

(excited)

 

Come in… Come in… I've been expecting you.

 

Xena comes in but stays alert. She studies the face of the old man.

 

XENA

 

What did you do with Gabrielle?

 

OLD MAN

 

I'm an old man selling old things. There was someone here who gave a special brooch to a young woman.

 

(beat)

 

It is he you must seek.

 

Xena's knees feel weak and her face whitens. The old man quickly sets a chair behind Xena as she collapses onto it.

 

XENA

 

(anger - sad)

 

Why did she leave?

 

OLD MAN

 

She left to protect you from the God of Ice.

 

(beat)

 

I'm sorry Xena. You'll never see Gabrielle again.

 

XENA

 

(grabs old man's tunic)

 

Do you have a death wish? I want…

 

Xena abruptly lets the old man go when she sees his eyes glow in a pale blue hue.

 

XENA

 

You are one of them!

 

OLD MAN

 

(chuckles)

 

I am an enigma, but I'm not one of my brother's minions.

 

(beat)

 

I am simply using this man's body the same as my brother Derricksson once did with others.

 

XENA

 

Why shouldn't I just kill you right now?

 

OLD MAN

 

I can help you.

 

XENA

 

(scoffs)

 

I don't need any help from gods.

 

OLD MAN

 

Derricksson, the God of Ice has Gabrielle body and soul.

 

XENA

 

(livid)

 

That Ice-god does not have her soul…

 

(beat)

 

She will die before she lets him touch her.

 

OLD MAN

 

No need to worry about that. They can not consummate unless she forsakes her true love. If she doesn't someone will die.

 

XENA

 

(surprised)

 

What?

 

OLD MAN

 

(opens a box)

 

This text says that the Sabre-Tooth Brooch protects any bride that wears it until she fully loves her betrothed.

 

(beat)

 

The brooch chose her because she loves someone dearly, but brother Derricksson…

 

XENA

 

He steals the bride away so that he will be loved by the kidnapped girl?

 

(beat)

 

That's sick!

 

The old man nods sadly.

 

OLD MAN

 

You must find the Temple of Lysia. There you will find what you need to reach Gabrielle.

 

XENA

 

(stoic)

 

Right, lets go.

 

OLD MAN

 

(shaking no)

 

I must stay here. This body grows weary. He must lie down.

 

(beat)

 

Here is a map to the Temple. Farewell.

 

Xena takes the map and exits the shop without looking back.

 

CUT TO:

 

14. INT. BAR IN A NORTHERN SCANDINAVIA - EVENING

 

Xena has decided to calm her nerves in a bar in town. After a few drinks she's talking about her current problems to another patron.

 

BARKEEPER

 

I think you've had enough to drink for tonight.

 

Xena grabs the barkeeper in one swift move and pins him over the bar. She eyes him evilly with bloodshot eyes.

 

XENA

 

I'm not drunk enough if I can surprise you like that.

 

(beat)

 

Now fill up my mug… all the way to the brim.

 

Xena turns around drowsily and sees a young blond girl approaching on the arm of one of the patrons.

 

Angrily she turns back to the bar.

 

XENA

 

(mumbling)

 

Forty years…

 

DRINKING BUDDY

 

What?

 

XENA

 

(sigh)

 

Over forty years we've travelled together…

 

(beat)

 

And then she dumps me for the first handsome guy that comes along.

 

(beat)

 

Its not fair, ya-know-what-I-mean?

 

DRINKING BUDDY

 

I hear ya. It happens to me all the time…

 

(beat)

 

…there's this woman that I…

 

XENA

 

Well… we're not talking about you right now…

 

(beat)

 

I'm paying for your drinks… so you just listen…

 

(continues)

 

So she tells me that she's leaving me for my own good.

 

(beat)

 

Just like that…

 

(beat)

 

Pack up your bags and off into the mist to The Edge…

 

The barkeeper suddenly drops a mug of ale. The whole bar suddenly goes quiet.

 

DRINKING BUDDY

 

Ya know, the same thing happened to my girlfriend.

 

(beat)

 

She goes into this little shop in…

 

The barkeeper suddenly knocks out Xena's drinking buddy with a heavy club.

 

XENA

 

Hey! That's not nice.

 

The Barkeeper's eyes have an icy blank stare.

 

XENA

 

Oh, its you again…

 

(smirk)

 

My trusty shadow.

 

The possessed barkeeper gets ready to strike Xena.

 

XENA

 

Wait-a-minute!

 

(beat)

 

Do you remember what happened last time?

 

The possessed barkeeper cocks his head.

 

XENA

 

That's not going to happen now.

 

(beat)

 

SHEEEEEEYAA!

 

Xena back flips from the bar stool over the other patrons. She lands groggily by the door.

 

XENA

 

Good ale in these parts.

 

The patrons come towards her with icy blank stares. Hands are like clamps and they are as cold as stone. Xena struggles to free herself from the possessed patrons.

 

They tie her up and an onion sack is put over her head.

 

XENA

 

I really should give up drinking so heavily…

 

(beat)

 

Nah!

 

She feels herself being moved outside.

 

CUT TO:

 

15. IN THE WOODS SOMEWHERE - NIGHT

 

They travel a little ways through the woods. Xena feels herself being put on a flat slab of stone.

 

XENA

 

This better not be what I think it is.

 

POSSESSED BARKEEPER

 

My Lord Derricksson! These two heathens seek your wives.

 

(beat)

 

They shall be punished for their negligence…

 

XENA

 

How many wives does this god of yours have?

 

The possessed barkeeper ignores Xena's question.

 

POSSESSED BARKEEPER

 

Accept our offering.

 

XENA

 

It's not how I pictured myself to die…

 

(beat)

 

But loneliness sucks too! Stab away, moron!

 

Xena hears a bloodcurdling scream as she realises that her drinking buddy has been sacrificed.

 

The onion sack gets ripped off her in one tug.

 

XENA

 

Please put it back… I like that smell better than you.

 

Xena looks defiantly at the blood dripping blade.

 

XENA

 

(whispering)

 

Gabrielle…

 

(beat)

 

If only I could see you one more time before I die.

 

The blade drops.

 

CUT TO:

 

END ACT I

 

 

 

ACT II

 

The blade seems to be suspended about an inch from Xena's brassiere. The possessed barkeeper seems frozen like a statue. Xena sees a bluish light appear to her side.

 

Xena turns to look into the light. She sees a silhouette of a woman approaching.

 

XENA

 

(hoarse whisper)

 

Gabrielle…?

 

The silhouette approaches and reaches out her hand. All those that restrain Xena shatter like ice cubes.

 

XENA

 

(sobering)

 

You are not Gabrielle…

 

(beat)

 

Who are you?

 

SILHOUETTE

 

A friend… an enemy… an enigma…

 

(beat)

 

Leave this place! Now!

 

Xena finds that she is freed from her bonds. She sits up just as the bluish light disappears.

 

She approaches her former drinking buddy and looks away in horror and disgust. The body is one human block of ice.

 

XENA

 

Rest in peace, my friend.

 

Xena turns away from the grotesque sight and disappears into the night.

 

CUT TO:

 

16. INT. ICE CASTLE THRONE ROOM

 

Gabrielle sits on a throne. She looks sadly at a mirror which shows Xena's image about to be sacrificed. She looks away and the image dissolves. Tears roll down her cheeks.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(angry - bitter)

 

Why are you doing this?

 

(beat)

 

I am here with you… yet you still torture me with these images.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

You are here with me by your own choice…

 

(beat)

 

Of your own free will.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(anger)

 

Free will?

 

(beat)

 

The way I recall was that Xena would spent eternity in exile if I refused to come.

 

(beat)

 

She will get you. I promise you that.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

(laughing)

 

My dear girl. I'm a God… Xena can't kill gods.

 

GABRIELLE

 

She killed at least half of the Olympians.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Really?

 

(laughs with disbelieve)

 

You made that up.

 

Gabrielle gives him an icy stare. She looks at her shackles. The brooch glows a fiery crimson fire as her own anger is building up.

 

With inhuman strength Gabrielle breaks her shackles. She lunges herself toward the God of Ice in a single leap.

 

Derricksson raises his hand and a wall of ice stops Gabrielle.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Coward!

 

(beat)

 

Wait until I get my hands on you.

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Only when you love me… Just give me your heart and all your suffering will be over.

 

(beat)

 

Forget your friend.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Never!

 

(beat)

 

You'll never have me! NEVER!

 

DERRICKSSON

 

Goodnight, my Queen of Ice.

 

Gabrielle hits the ice wall in frustration. As if by magic, it shatters.

 

She looks in seething anger at the quickly retreating God of Ice.

 

CUT TO:

 

17. EXT. TEMPLE OF LYSIA - DAY

 

Xena arrives at the Temple of Lysia the next day.

 

A priest approaches her.

 

PRIEST

 

Welcome Warrior Princess. Lysia told me you would come.

 

XENA

 

Gabrielle…

 

(beat)

 

Is she all right?

 

PRIEST

 

She is very stubborn. Derricksson is already starting to doubt.

 

(beat)

 

It should be a matter of time before…

 

Xena grabs the priest by the tunic.

 

XENA

 

Listen to me carefully… I will say this only once.

 

(beat)

 

If I don't get Gabrielle back I will level each and every temple I come across to the ground.

 

(beat)

 

This god of yours is messing with the wrong person.

 

PRIEST

 

I serve Lysia, not Derricksson.

 

XENA

 

What do I care for gods…

 

(beat)

 

They're all the same.

 

PRIEST

 

Lysia is half-god and half-human. She cares deeply for our people.

 

XENA

 

Apparently not enough to stop her brother.

 

PRIEST

 

She tries. But even she is bound to the laws of nature.

 

XENA

 

Well, I suppose she did save my life a couple of times…

 

(beat)

 

And asked nothing in return.

 

The Priest smiles and is released of Xena's tension.

 

XENA

 

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt… for now.

 

(beat)

 

I need to save Gabrielle, but first I need to get to her. Where is she being held?

 

PRIEST

 

In the Castle of Ice, above the Ice Valley, close to The Edge.

 

XENA

 

You could have told me that sooner.

 

PRIEST

 

I needed your trust.

 

XENA

 

There is only one person in this world that I trust and you are not her.

 

PRIEST

 

(sigh)

 

Very well. Lysia tells me you need two Portal Scrolls to reach the Castle of Ice.

 

(beat)

 

One is located in the Home of Stöck.

 

XENA

 

And the other?

 

PRIEST

 

In a hollow tree in the Valley of Ice.

 

(beat)

 

Be careful. Derricksson's minions will try to stop you.

 

Xena gives a fierce smirk.

 

XENA

 

I'm counting on it.

 

CUT TO:

 

18. INT. CASTLE OF ICE

 

Gabrielle is looking for a way out of the castle.

 

She notices a glass panel completely fogged up and wipes its surface with the hem of her light blue robe sleeve.

 

She gasps and steps back in horror when she sees the frozen face of a young woman.

 

She looks around the corridor and notices many such window arches.

 

Approaching the other frozen arches hastily, she notices that each has the same frozen expression of surprise and fear in their timeless expression.

 

A bluish light opens a Portal. Lysia steps through it alerting Gabrielle.

 

LYSIA

 

Come with me if you want to live.

 

Lysia clamps a hand like a vice on Gabrielle's arm.

 

Gabrielle tries to twist free but Lysia pulls her into the Portal.

 

CUT TO:

 

19. INT. SECRET ROOM

 

Lysia pulls Gabrielle through the portal and the latter is overwhelmed by a luxurious room filled with book-boxes and wall-to-wall carpeting.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Who are you? What do you want of me?

 

Lysia lets Gabrielle go as the Portal closes.

 

LYSIA

 

My name is Lysia. I am the half-sister of Derrickson.

 

Gabrielle glowers at her.

 

LYSIA

 

Please listen. I mean you no harm.

 

Gabrielle crosses her arms angrily.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(brooding)

 

Fine. I'm listening.

 

LYSIA

 

My brother wants to have the brooch you wear. The Sabre-Tooth Brooch in his possession will give him ultimate power over other gods.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Okay, he can have it.

 

Gabrielle wants to take the brooch off. Lysia holds up her hand.

 

LYSIA

 

NO! You mustn't take it off. It's your only protection against…

 

(beat)

 

…being frozen forever.

 

Gabrielle realises something.

 

GABRIELLE

 

Those women… frozen… they were my predecessors…

 

(beat)

 

Other wives?

 

Lysia merely nods sadly.

 

LYSIA

 

My half-brother is a monster. Once they have forsaken their true love, they pretended to love him if he would let them go. He said he would, if they took off the brooch and gave it to him.

 

GABRIELLE

 

And as soon as they did…

 

(beat)

 

It froze them to death.

 

LYSIA

 

You see? The brooch is your only protection against him.

 

(beat)

 

He can't touch you as long as you wear it.

 

Gabrielle smiles evilly.

 

GABRIELLE

 

He is vulnerable.

 

(beat)

 

I could kill him… No.

 

Gabrielle clenches her fists and sits down despondent.

 

GABRIELLE

 

I can't believe I have to murder someone… even if he is a god, just to win my freedom.

 

LYSIA

 

He is trying to kill Xena.

 

GABRIELLE

 

WHAT?

 

(seething)

 

He lied to me. He said he would leave Xena in peace.

 

LYSIA

 

He wants you to love him the way you love Xena.

 

GABRIELLE

 

I can't…

 

(beat)

 

We have a bond… I can't… I won't break that.

 

(beat)

 

I'd rather die first.

 

Lysia locks eyes with Gabrielle.

 

LYSIA

 

Listen to me. You must forsake your love for Xena in order to come close enough to Derrickson.

 

GABRIELLE

 

(tears)

 

I can't!

 

LYSIA

 

You must!

 

(beat)

 

Trust me… you must do this. I am sorry.

 

Lysia opens a portal and holding Gabrielle's hand walks through.

 

The portal closes.

 

FADE IN:

 

FADE OUT:

 

20. EXT. CAMP IN WOODS - NIGHT

 

Xena has set up her camp in the woods and is discretely eating some dinner.

 

She's still on the alert for any form of treachery.

 

In the distance she hears some chanting.

 

Dousing her camp fire, she adjusts her gear and investigates.

 

CUT TO:

 

21. EXT. CULT IN THE WOODS - NIGHT

 

Xena sneaks up as close as she can, but can't get a good view.

 

A cult-member walks by wearing a blue robe. His face is covered with a mask. Xena sneaks after him and quickly pulls him into the bushes she's hiding in and puts the pinch on him.

 

XENA

 

I just cut off the blood to your brain. You have thirty seconds to tell me where I can find the Home of Stöck.

 

CULT MEMBER

 

You're nearly there. Just over the next rise.

 

(beat)

 

Who are you?

 

XENA

 

Never mind. What can you tell me about the Sabre-Tooth Brooch?

 

The cult-member's eyes look back fearfully.

 

XENA

 

Come on, you're running out of time.

 

CULT MEMBER

 

My Lord will kill me.

 

XENA

 

In five seconds you will be dead.

 

CULT MEMBER

 

Please…

 

Xena removes the pinch just in time.

 

CULT MEMBER

 

(gasps)

 

The Sabre-Tooth Brooch chooses a bride for Lord Derricksson.

 

(beat)

 

If I recall the scriptures correctly, the brooch is rendered useless of its powers once the chosen bride gives herself fully to the god.

 

(beat)

 

She has to fors…

 

XENA

 

Yeah… yeah… I know all that.

 

(beat)

 

Why is he bothering me.

 

CULT MEMBER

 

I don't understand it.

 

(beat)

 

Normally Lord Derricksson will seek out and destroy anyone that his bride has as a true love.

 

XENA

 

(nods)

 

So he's a tyrant. Been there.

 

(beat)

 

There were other wives. What happened to them?

 

CULT MEMBER

 

Frozen in time for eternity. Their beauty forever preserved in ice.

 

XENA

 

Any way to defeat him?

 

CULT MEMBER

 

Only the priests at the Temple of Lysia know.

 

Xena unsheathes her sword.

 

The Cult Member's eyes widen with fear.

 

She simply knocks the informative cultist out with the hilt of her sword.

 

XENA

 

Back to that Temple again. I don't have time to run around like this.

 

(beat - rolls eyes)

 

First things first.

 

Xena disappears into the forest.

 

CUT TO:

 

END ACT II

 

 

 Continued...

 

 


Return to The Bard's Corner