For Disclaimers see part one and remember this is all for fun!! Send comments to UgoXena@aol.com

 

Stranger Paths

Part 3

 

The next three moons were spent in busy activities from hunting and border patrol to teaching sign to 10 warriors and one 8 year old girl. Candace became more of a part of the nation than she had ever been a part of anything in her world. She made great and fast friends and none closer than the Warrior Princess. They found that they were more alike than not. Xena had not let anyone get as close to her as Gabrielle had been, but the little blonde had chiseled away at the wall that kept all others at bay. Xena didn't realize how much she had let Candace in until she saw the singer in what was obviously an in depth conversation with a brunette warrior. Xena had seen her in the past. She thought her name was Kara or Kayla, she wasn't sure, and at the moment it didn't matter. The relationship that the Xena and Candace shared had not gone further than holding hands and an occasional goodnight kiss. They enjoyed each others company so much that it didn't seem to matter. Until now.

There was no indication from Candace that the other woman was anything more than a friend, but the brown eyed woman was giving a completely different message. She was flirting with the attractive blonde, and it sent a pang of anger through the veins of the Warrior Princess and that shocked her. She hadn't felt anything close to jealousy in a very long time. *I'm not jealous! I can't be. Can I? I'm not the jealous type. 'Guess again warrior girl'. Damn! I hate when that happens!*

The two women continued to talk and laugh at whatever small joke was being told, and then it happened. The brunette touched Candace possessively on the shoulder and pulled her in close to whisper something in the blondes ear. It was obviously suggestive by the reaction. Candace pushed the brunette away with a laugh and a slap on the arm. Being not too very far away Xena could see the slight blush on Candace's fair cheek. As if the brown eyed woman knew Xena's very thoughts she looked straight at the tall raven haired woman and sneered. *Oh no! Don't even go there Amazon. I will eat you for a snack! AND hands off my woman!* The thought cold slapped Xena back to reality. *'My' woman? She's not mine. What has gotten into me? .......NO. Oh shit! No. It couldn't be. SHIT!* "Shitshitshitshit." *This Is Not Good! Bad Warrior! BAD BAD BAD! I need to talk to Eph.*

As much as she hated to leave the situation she had just witnessed without comment, she knew she didn't have a leg to stand on. She had never given any indication to Candace that they were by any means exclusive. They really didn't have anything more than a close friendship. It had never occurred to her that the blonde woman would or could be interested in someone else romantically. *See what happens when you sit on your hands, Xena? 'But, this was supposed to be SLOW!' She said slow, bonehead, not death crawl. 'She coulda said something.' She's a girl. 'Yeah, soooo. Oh I get it. That's my job now.' Riiight. I hate that I am so bad at this.* She was not happy that she had taken to talking to herself but at least she wasn't doing it out loud. She wanted to address this now but the timing was wrong. She guessed she could walk up and make a fool of herself but chose not to. Being wiser than in previous similar situations she walked away in search of the Queen and her council.

Candace saw Xena standing a few paces away and tried to catch the blue eyes with her own. She was trying to be as cordial to Kayla as she could with out seeming rude. She liked the woman but that was as far as it went. Kayla was enamored of her and it was becoming increasingly difficult to handle her come-ons. She was more than blunt on some occasions, and down right rude on others. She was dismayed when Kayla pulled her in close to whisper in her ear. The words shocked her and she tried not to let it show. The blush on her cheeks gave it away. She turned away from Kayla to see the look in Xena's eyes. It was not a pretty sight.

 

*Damn. She's hacked!*

*That is an 'I'm gonna eat your cookies look.'. Wonder what's up.*

*Wish I knew, but I don't have time to find out. I'm late already.*

  

"Kayla, it's bold of you to say that, but you know I am not interested in finding out. Friends. Remember?"

"I'll keep trying. Ya gotta give me credit for persistence."

"Right. Credit. I gotta go. See ya."

The short woman turned and headed to the patrol station. With any luck she wouldn't run into Kayla again today. She tried to put the look that she had seen on Xena's face aside but worry crept into her mind. No doubt the warrior princess was angry, but she didn't know what she had done to make her that way.

 

Kayla was quite pleased with herself. She had caught the attention of Xena at just the right moment. That little move should put a pin in that inflated ego of hers. *I'm gonna get your woman, slimeball. And there's nothing you can do about it. You just keep ignoring her. It won't take long at all.* Self satisfied, the misled warrior thrust her chin defiantly at Xena, whose back was now turned, and spit. Hatred for the ex-warlord ran thick in her veins.

=/~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Xena finally tracked down the Queen in the first place she should have looked but didn't. The council chamber was inundated with a heated debate that was quickly becoming an out-of-control shouting match.

The regent stood to her feet and slammed her staff to the floor. She was not in any way pleased with the conduct of her fellow council members, and made her feelings known with adamant passion.

"THAT IS ENOUGH! We will NOT conduct ourselves in this manner! Everyone SIT down! If we are going to debate the water rights issue you WILL follow the direction of the referee or you will keep your mouth shut. Have I made myself clear?"

The group of women was strangely silent and a great deal of uncomfortable shifting was taking place.

"Good. If this gets out of hand again, I will have Senar and Xena escort the offending party out of the chamber. Is that clear?" Trésha turned and nodded at Xena and the Queen's consort who returned the nod showing their agreement.

Xena hadn't expected to be included in any activities but she was happy to be able to do anything to take her mind off of the mind numbing realization she had come to not a candle mark earlier. The break wasn't going to last long.

Ephiny saw the tall warrior walk in the chamber with 'that' look on her face. Panic. It was obvious from her very body language that she was more that agitated and any small thing would set her off. Having her escort any offending party from the chamber might not be the safest action in the world.

"Trésha, please call a recess for a half candle mark. I think it would be wise to cool the debate off for a bit."

"Very well, Majesty. All rise! Council will adjourn for one half-candle mark at which time we will reconvene with better attitudes! Adjourned!"

Ephiny nodded at Xena and beckoned her to join the queen at her side. Xena waited until all the members had made an exit before attempting to approach the podium.

"Your Majesty." Xena made a slight bow and looked up.

"Stop that, Xena. There's no one around."

"Should it matter?"

"I suppose not, but it seems strange coming from you."

The tall woman tried to grin at the comment but it was a less than half-hearted effort. Ephiny took note and didn't wait for Xena to speak.

"So, Xe, what's the problem?"

"What makes you think there's a problem?"

"Answer me this first. What are you doing in the council chambers? Come to catch the excitement of the debate, humm?"

Xena let out a soft laugh and a grin adorned her face. Eph had a way of looking right through the facade she put up to touch the heart of the problem.

"Alright. I don't know how to say this, but I think I might have feelings for Candace."

Ephiny's heart smiled and she bit the inside of her cheek trying not to let it travel to her lips. For the last couple of moons it was becoming quite apparent to all, that the two women had a very sweet romance going on. The only two not aware of said romance were the parties involved. Ephiny was amazed that Xena had realized it first. Normally, Amazons with an attraction to one another had relations first and worked out the details later. These two were not the norm. They had learned to delight in each other's company first while ignoring the fact that they were falling in love. Something had happened to open blind eyes and Eph was about to find out what.

'Feelings? What kind of feelings?"

"Ya' know. FEELINGS."

"I'm not sure. Explain what you are feeling and maybe I'll understand." The queen was going to make the warrior dance.

Xena let out a huge sigh of exasperation. "Gods Eph! Ya' know! FEELINGS. Romantic feelings."

"Oh, so you want to take her flowers." Ephiny turned her head and pretended to cough while covering a snicker.

"NO! No....Well, yes, but more than that."

"More than flowers? What then? Maybe a quiet dinner and candles. That's romantic." The blonde shook her head and got in character.

"Ephiny, I don't need romance tips." She rolled her eyes in exasperation. She couldn't believe Ephiny the 'Queen-of-Knowing-About-Feelings' wasn't catching on.

"Well, I'm confused. You say you have romantic feelings and I suggest flowers, dinner and candlelight, but...."

"It's not that kind of romance."

"You mean MORE than romance or DIFFERENT than romance."

"Both." Xena closed her eyes and shook her head. She couldn't believe that she was saying this.

"AH. You mean love." Ephiny spoke softly and smiled at the tamed warrior before her throne.

Xena just shook her head up and down in a slow, short movement.

"I see. And you just now realized this?"

"Yeah."

"What finally brought you into the light, oh Great Warrior?"

"YOU KNEW?"

"Big red truck, Xena."

"Huh?"

"It's obvious to anyone with eyes. What made you get it?"

"Oh. That. Uh well..Outside..uh.. .she was talking to ths..oth.....wn... an...sh.. as....jel..."

"Speak up Xena, I can't hear you."

"I GOT JEALOUS! OK. Happy now?"

"YOU? Jealous? Why? How?" The Queen held back a out and out laugh. This was rich.

"That woman she was talking to was all over her. Jeez, ya think they could take it somewhere else."

"Did Candace return the attention?"

"I don't know. I hope not. I left before I could talk to her or witness the rest of that 'woman's' advances."

"Xena, I am going to tell you something. You _Have_Nothing_To_Worry_About. If I know my warriors, and I think I do, she feels the same way about you. Hey! Luck of all luck! There is a birthday celebration tonight for Mikaya. She's bound to be there. Show up and ask her for a slow dance. Now THAT'S romantic."

"Do you really think she likes me? Oh Gods! How old am I anyway? 12? Check the box: Yes or no."

Ephiny let out a good-natured laugh. "Yes, my friend, I think she more than likes you."

"But, that woman I saw her with. They seemed very close. Too, close."

"Down girl. I think that was probably Kayla. She has had a thing for Candace ever since Candace defeated her in a Challenge. Some chicks dig that."

"Chicks? Dig? What kind of language is that?"

"Hang around her long enough and she'll rub off on you."

"Who?"

"Your girlfriend."

The blue eyes were set off by the redness of the tall woman's cheeks. "Yeah, she will."

"Xena. Friend. It's O.K. I think it's time to let yourself live again."

"You always know the root of it, don't you? I'm scared. Petrified is closer to the truth. I don't think I could live through losing another love. I know she's not Gab. That was a once in a million lifetimes love. But she's close, and the emotions are similar. It's strange. It's like she's Gabrielle's twin sister. So much the same and yet so different. I guess I should be thrilled to have found someone like her. I just hope......"

"Xena, come to the celebration tonight. I could order you, you know."

"Yeah, but am I really still an Amazon?"

"Humm. Good question. But, I don't think it really matters. Show up!"

"Yes, Your Majesty." Xena smiled and curtsied with a touch of sarcasm.

"You are dismissed, Warrior." Ephiny flitted her fingers at Xena and laughed.

The tall woman turned and strode from the hall just as the council members were returning. From the sound of the conversations it was going to be a hot time in the Council Chambers today. More than one member was sure to be escorted out. Senar gave Xena a pleading look as they passed each other. Xena only spoke two words.

"No way."

=/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

 

The day Candace spent on patrol was more than uneventful. It had been hot and downright boring. On top of that she had spent the greater part of her day fussing over the look she had gotten from Xena that morning. It would be safe to say she was not in the best of moods.

*Damn it! This has been the worst frickin' day *

*Calm down! You have been driving me nuts.*

*Well, hell, Gab! What was up with her this morning?*

*I couldn't tell you. But worrying about it isn't going to help. Look where it's gotten you.*

*I know. I just don't know what I did to put a look like that on her face.*

*Why are you making such a big thing out of this?*

*I would hate to think I did something to make her not want to be around me. We're supposed to fall in love, 'ya know.*

*I haven't forgotten. But I'm not worried about you.*

*Me?*

*Yep. You, my dear, have it bad for one hot Warrior Princess.*

Candace stopped walking for a moment to make an assesment of her feelings. It was amazing when lights turned on.

*Damn, Gabrielle you're right. Oh this sucks. Now I've pissed her off. I hate feeling like this.*

*Candace, stop it. You're not even sure...Hey! Do you suppose she saw Kayla hitting on you?*

*I suppose. Kayla was right there.....and...sooo... was Xena. You think that upset her?*

*I think she was pissed at your little friend, not you.*

*Then again, she may think I have something going on with her. But, why would that bother her?*

*I have my ideas, but that best thing to do at this point is ASK.*

*Ask?*

*Yep. You have to ask her.*

*Xena?*

*Who else?*

*No way. That would make me look desperate.*

*You can't just sit there and avoid her because you think she's mad.*

*I know. I'll talk to her in the morning.*

*In the morning? Why wait?*

*Birthday party.*

*Oh yeah.*

Candace returned to her hut with a little better attitude. Lyceius launched his small form onto the bed and flopped down heavily with a huge dog sigh. It had been a long, hot, dog day and he was over it. He would eat later. It was time for a nap. Candace was amazed at the way he could just curl up and fall asleep with no worries. *Ah! To live a dog's life.*

The small blonde warrior cleaned herself up and headed to the dining hall. She was hoping to run into Xena and maybe eat a bite with her. She would love to talk to her about this morning if the opportunity presented itself. It was not to be. On the way there she was met by an unbelievably annoying Kayla. She faked a smile and nodded.

"Hi Candace! Long time no see."

"Hey Kay." Her response was less than enthusiastic.

"Eat with me?"

"I was planning on just taking it back to my hut. I kind of wanted to spend some time alone." She hated lying, but Kayla was making a nuisance of herself and she would rather eat alone than be subject to more of her inappropriate behavior.

"Come on! I hate eating alone."

"You have plenty of people you can dine with. Look. Sherina is right over there and Kimi is sitting alone. Really, Kayla, I need time alone." Now she really did.

Dissapointed, Kayla gave in. "Fine. I see you later tonight."

"You will?" She tried to hide the frantic edge in her voice and wasn't sure if she had.

Kayla gave her a funny look but let it go. "Yeah. Jules made me promise to come to the party. I know you are going. You're the teacher!"

*Damn! Can I get a break here?* Candace rubbed her temples in attempt to ward off the onslaught of the headache she knew was bearing down on her. "Oh great. I'll see you then, I suppose."

"I'm looking forward to a dance with you." The brown-haired woman grinned lasciviously at the thought.

The look on the other woman's face caused panic and nausea to boil up in Candace's gut. She was beginning to truly dislike this woman.

 

*She's as bad as any man I have ever met! Doesn't she get that I am not available that way!*

*Some of these women don't think like us. You are a prize to her. She can't have you and that makes you more desirable.*

*Lucky me.*

*If she can 'get' you, she wins.*

*Wins what?*

*Well, she 'beats' Xena for one, and she thinks it will make her look good to beat out the 'Unbeatable One'.*

*Whatever.*

*I know. Sick.*

*It's the same thing 2500 years from now. Except then, most of them are like that.*

*Cynic.*

 

Candace almost forgot that Kayla had spoken. She shook off her thoughts and answered her, "Yeah. I'll save you one." She didn't mean it, but it seemed a safe thing to say at the time.

"Great! Later." She turned and took off toward Kimi with a cockiness to her gate that fit her to a 'T'.

 

*God I hate that.*

*What?*

*That stupid walk of hers. It's more of a swagger. Could she be any more stuck on herself at all?*

*No.*

 

The blonde warrior took her dinner back to her hut to share it with her furry friend. He was happy to have her as an eating companion but he could tell she was not happy. The little dog ignored the food she offered and crawled up on her lap. He leaned his head on her shoulder and sighed. He hated when his master was sad. She was sad now.

"Hi Lyce. You always know don't you?"

He looked up at her with an understanding doggy look and put his head back down. She hugged him to her and tears began to fall.

 

*This is stupid.*

*Hormones.* Gab was trying to make her lighten up a bit.

*That's not fair. This has me so upset and I don't get it.*

*Love will do that to you. You know, a good cry never hurt anything.*

*Yeah.* The tears continued to fall silently.

 

Candace had been laying on her pallet staring at the ceiling for how long she didn't know. The sun was starting to set and she realized that she was late for Mik's party. She flew out of the bed grabbed the gift she had made and ran out the door. Lyceius was close on her heels. Her arrival was met with amused grins. She had a tendency to be late to just about everything, except meals.

"Hi, guys. Sorry I'm late."

Jules walked toward her with an angry look on her face. "I can't believe this! How rude of you to show up late to MY daughters birthday party!" The sound of her voice had a threatening tone to it.

Already having had a day she didn't want to repeat, this seemed to be the topper. She had pissed off the Commander. She had had enough. Tears welled up and she tried to speak in a controlled voice, "I am really sorry. I got caught up in, well, caught up." Her voice cracked anyway.

Jules felt awful. She had been joking with the woman and now she was crying. *Big stupid warrior.*

The strong woman lowered her voice to hide her concern. "Candace, I was kidding. I'm sorry. You O.K.?"

"Sure. I cry for no reason all the time." The short blonde wiped at her nose with the back of her hand.

"Want to talk?"

"Nah. I had a bad day. It'll work itself out."

"I think you need a little help, if you ask me, which you didn't. Here, take my wine. I just filled it. I'll get me another." Jules handed her freshly filled goblet to Candace, who took a large drink. Julisa smiled and shook her head. "Mik's been waiting for you. She has some signs she came up with and she wants to show them to you."

"Great! And, thanks." She leaned in to whisper the last words and raised her goblet.

"Anytime."

The party of people was small in comparison to most gatherings in the village, but it was still large enough not to be noticed if one didn't wish it. Candace wanted to fade into the background and relax among her closest friends. Mik was sitting on her lap with her mother close by. Some of the other women in her sign class were milling about them. It was a very quiet group. The only thing missing for her was the presence of one tall, dark, blue eyed beauty. It was what she missed and needed the most.

Just as she began to fully relax and allow the worries of the day to dissipate, Kayla approached the group with one purpose in mind.

"Candace? Are you ready?" Enthusiasm was dripping from her voice

"Ready? For what?" This was the last thing she wanted or needed.

"Dance baby!"

*Oh God.* "Now?"

"They're playing our song."

"I wasn't aware that we had a song."

"Yep. And this is it."

It was an upbeat rhythm that was good for a 'no touching' dance. *Perfect.*

"Let's go."

Candace set Mikaya on her feet and allowed herself to be led to the dance circle. Kayla tried to grab the smaller woman and pull her in but Candace avoided her with deft movements that appeared random. She did not want to end up in this woman's arms if she could at all avoid it. Unfortunately that was about to change as the music lightened in tempo.

 

*Are the Fates against me today, or what?*

*No kidding. You don't have to dance with her, ya know.*

*I'll just get this over with. One dance and I don't have to worry about her the rest of the night.*

*Be careful!*

*No problem there.*

 

Kalya wasted no time in getting the beautiful blonde in her arms. Candace tried all the old techniques she remembered on keeping unwanted closeness at bay. It wasn't helping. *I swear she is an octopus.*

Xena decided to give in and join the festivities taking place in the center of the compound. It was a quiet group as Amazon parties went and she felt she could handle it. The music was wafting through the air as she approached and the beat changed from upbeat to mellow. *That's nice. Maybe I can get Candace to dance with me. DANCE? Me? I am out of my mind.* She broke the barrier of women milling around the dance circle to see if she could find the blonde. She found her. In the arms of the brown haired girl. Seething anger filled her as she witnessed the sight. They were locked in what looked to be a lovers embrace. Ephiny had been wrong from what she could see. Sick to her stomach she turned and made a hasty exit.

Candace was struggling with Kayla for release. Her head turned just in time to see a tall frame turn and walk through the crowd standing around the circle. Panic hit her like a bolt. *Damn!*

"Kayla, please let go of me." The request was polite but firm.

"No way. I got ya. I'm gonna keep ya." She pulled the small form closer to her showing no intent of letting her escape.

"Kayla. I said, let me go."

"No." The reply was snotty at best. Kayla knew where the blonde was headed and it was not making her night.

*O.K.. You want to play it like that. Fine.* Candace pushed away from her captor enough to get one hand between them. She placed her index and middle fingers directly under Kayla's chin. She put just enough pressure on the point to get Kayla's attention. The taller woman froze.

"Kayla. I will say this only once. Let me go NOW or I will make you let me go. Capisce?" She placed a small amount of extra pressure on her fingers for added emphasis.

"Alllright." The brunette raised both hands in surrender and backed away slowly.

"Thank you."

"No problem." But the problem was becoming very big indeed.

Candace sped off in the direction she had last seen the Warrior Princess heading. Within a few seconds she saw the tall shadowed form of her desire walking slowly towards her hut. She did not appear happy.

Xena's head hung down and she wasn't paying attention to anything around her. She was surprised when she felt a soft touch on her forearm. She turned her head to see a beautiful smiling face.

"Hey, Xena."

"Hey you." Xena was pleased and apprehensive to see the captivating woman.

"Where ya headed?"

"Nowhere really." She looked around trying to avoid emerald eyes.

"I saw you at the party. Why'd you leave?" She thought she knew the answer but hoped for the truth from Xena.

 

Xena didn't want to answer. Not with the truth anyway. If Candace and Kayla had a thing, she wasn't going to intrude.

"Just didn't feel like staying."

"Uh huh. Xena, can we talk?"

*Here it comes. 'I'm so glad we are so close. I hope you get along with my new girlfriend.'*

"Sure. You know you can always talk to me." In this case, she really wasn't sure.

"Good. I'm glad. I want to ask you about this morning."

"This morning. What about this morning?" Xena was lying about not knowing and Candace knew she was. Funny thing was, Xena knew she knew.

"I saw you looking at me with this horrid look on your face. It was like you wanted to kill me. What did I do to make you so mad?"

"It wasn't you." Xena answered before she thought about what she said. *Was I born an idiot?* Now Candace had somewhere to go with her questions.

"Then who?" *Gotcha warrior.*

Xena sighed in defeat. She was going to end up telling the blonde how she felt and didn't want to face the rejection that went with the confession.

"Kayla."

"Kayla? Why?"

"Promise you won't take this wrong?"

"Could I take it wrong?"

Xena thought about it and knew there was no way to misinterpret what she was about to reveal. "No."

"Well, then?"

"I was angry because she hd...r... hns.... vr... oo."

"Say again. I couldn't hear you."

"I was angry because she had her hands all over you."

"Huh. Why would that make you mad?"

"Do you really need you know?"

"Yeah, I really do."

"I'm protective?"

"Is that a question or a reason?"

"Both?"

Candace smiled and shook her head. The small woman took the big warrior's hand in hers and placed a small kiss on it. She then looked into piercing blue eyes. The sight made her shiver to her toes.

"Xena, tell me the truth. Why did it bother you?" Her voice was quiet and undemanding.

"Same reason it bothered me that you were dancing with her." Her voice was quiet and filled with surrender. She was being evasive but she knew there was no use trying to get out of this.

"That's why you left."

"Yeah. I mean, if you have something going on with her that's fine. I just don't want to see it."

Candace had heard enough. It was more than obvious that Xena had the same feelings for her as she had for the warrior. There was no point in pushing for a full confession. Not now anyway. The rest of this was up to her.

"Xena, I have nothing going on with Kayla. Believe me. Nothing." She stood closer to the tall woman and pulled her in close. "Come down here."

Xena bent her head to Candace. Candace slipped a hand behind Xena's neck and pressed soft lips to Xena's ear.

"Let me tell you something Warrior. There is only one person I want to have ANYTHING 'going on' with around here, and that's you. So, take me back to that party, take me in those powerful arms of yours and dance with me. And, when your done with that, I want you to take me in those arms again......in my bed." She placed a gentle kiss on Xena's earlobe and then nipped at it.

It wasn't often that Xena even came close to losing her ability to stand but she almost did. She had no strength in her knees at all. The words that had come from the small woman were powerful and left no room for doubt. *Yes!* A huge grin crept across her face.

She stood to her full height, her soul restored. "Lead the way, Little One."

Candace tugged on her hand and she allowed herself be led back to the party. The couple reached the inner circle of the dance area and Candace mouthed to one of the musicians. A slow melody began and Candace pulled Xena close, turned around and backed into the raven haired warrior. It had been a while, but the pull of the music got the better of her. Xena put one arm around a slim waist and the two began to sway together as one. A slow seduction was occurring in front of many relieved Amazons. Ephiny smiled at the sight. *Finally.*

The two women melded together in song and dance. It was such an easy thing. Candace spun around and captured the tall woman around the waist. Xena place her cheek on top of golden hair. The fit was as close to perfect as anyone could get. When the music ended neither warrior wanted to move. They were quickly becoming the center of attention.

"Xe?"

"Yeah?"

"We need to move."

"Why?"

'People are staring."

"Let 'em."

"Want give something to stare at?"

"What do you have in mind?"

"Kiss me."

"That'll do it."

Xena held Candace' face in her hand as she bent to capture soft lips on her own. It was a kiss that sealed the fate of their love. Soft and passionate, tongues slid softly against each other. There was no urgency to their desire. That would come later.

Candace felt a soft tug at her skirt and broke the kiss. She looked down to find Mikaya standing next to her. The smiling young girl made a few signs, which Candace returned with her own.

"Xena, Mikaya would like a dance with you. Is that, O.K.?"

The tall warrior looked at the girl and back at her partner. She stepped away from Candace and used her hands to answer Mikaya. The warrior and the girl clasped hands. Xena placed a kiss on Candace's cheek and walked away with the younger woman.

In a state of wonder, Candace walked over to where Jules and the rest of the sign class were sitting.

"Did you see that?"

"See what?" The commander had watched the exchange with interest. She was not surprised.

"Xena just signed to Mikaya. Where....how?"

Julisa answered with the obvious and a touch of sarcasm. "I'm sure you haven't caught on to this yet, but Xena's too smart for her own good. She pays attention to EVERYTHING going on around her and forgets nothing. I also think she knows how important this is to you. What better way to be a part of your life than to learn about the things that matter to you."

"Wow!" She was amazed.

Candace watched the mighty warrior dance with the small girl seeing her with new eyes.

 

*That's my girl.*

*Gab, she's amazing! I mean AMAZING! What was I thinking! I feel like I wasted so much time.*

*You can't think like that. You two got to know each other the right way. You do remember there is still one more hurdle?*

*She has to figure out that you're me, or is that, I'm you?*

 

*How about, we're us. Either way she's got to get it.*

*And just how is she going to do that?*

*Not sure. Aphrodite said she could. And I quote, "That warrior babe has to look with her other eyes, but she'll get it." She's close I think. She sees a lot of me in you.*

* What are 'other eyes'?*

*Soul eyes I think. Gods are so confusing.*

*But can Xena put two and two together?*

*Our warrior is a smart one. You heard Jules. It may take time but it will happen. It has to.*

*Maybe smart doesn't have anything to do with it.*

*Good point. Ooooh, bad point. Xena never was one to figure out her feelings. *

*Gab, let's not worry about this now. You know, I never did ask the time frame on this. How long do we have?*

*One season.*

*A YEAR! That includes the marriage? That's cutting it close.*

*It's been 4 moons and we're half way there.*

*But......alright. I'm not dwelling on this.*

*Good idea.*

The tall warrior and the small child returned to the group with satisfied grins on their respective faces. Cats and canaries came to mind.

Candace grasped Xena's hand possessively. Blue eyes gazed at her, amused.

"What have you two been up to? Humm?"

"We were having a private discussion. I have an assignment for our little warrior here."

"And that would be what?"

"If I told you it wouldn't be private, now would it?"

"No, I guess it wouldn't. Did you have fun, love?"

Xena started at the pet name. *Gabrielle.* She hadn't thought about the bard in a long time. Guilt swept through her conscience. She knew the time had come to move on, but where would that leave her feelings for her soulmate? She never wanted to forget Gabrielle and the saving goodness she had brought to her. It was because of Gabrielle that she could love again. How she could reconcile her feelings for Candace and her love for Gabrielle, she didn't know. Maybe her mother knew. It was then that she knew she had to go home. She needed advice that only a mother could give.

"Xena?"

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, we had fun. Mikaya is a great kid."

"You alright?" Candace sensed a change in attitude her warrior. Something was bothering her. Again.

 

*Is she always this moody?*

*You called her 'love'. That was my name for her. I think you struck a nerve.*

*Well, for good or bad, you have an influence on me.*

*The name thing wasn't my idea.*

*Huh. Wonder what that means?*

*You are so analytical.*

 

The ex-warlord thought for awhile before answering, "Yeah. I'm fine. I'm more fine than I have been in a very long time."

The gifts had all been opened and the hour was getting late. Candace leaned into Xena and requested that they say their goodnights. The stoic woman was none too pleased to oblige.

They walked slowly away from the celebrants hand in hand.

"Candace, that was a great gift you made for Mik. It must have taken you forever to put it together."

"I hope she likes it. She'll need a dictionary of sorts until she has mastered her language and then to teach others after her. I know it's not the toys and such that she expected, but it will last longer and she won't out grow it. On top of that she can and will add to it."

"Educational things are never understood until later. I do think she loved it though." Xena was shocked at how quickly they had reached Candace's hut.

"Here we are."

Xena cleared her throat. "Sure enough. Here we are."

"Don't you go shy on me now, warrior. You're coming in with me." Once again the smaller woman took charge of the situation. Xena hesitated slightly. Candace turned to look at her. "Xe, come on. I don't bite. Not yet anyway." She gave the warrior a soft seductive look and walked in. Apprehensive or not, Xena followed her.

Candace lit a fire stick from the coals in the hotpot. Soon candlelight filled the room. It was sparsely but finely decorated. The writing table was the largest piece of furniture besides the bed. Not surprisingly for the teacher, it was scattered with scrolls and parchments. There was a chest at the end of the bed covered with a brightly colored throw that had bits of shell woven into the pattern. It was a nice touch that added color to the room. The wash stand stood in one corner of the room next to the only window. There was an interesting cloth painting that hung above the bed. Xena had seen the technique in her travels. She thought it was called batik. There were two nightstands beside the bed. The singers guitar leaned against one of them. Her sword and dagger leaned against the other. Her staff hung next to the door. The bed was occupied by one small white furball who was disinterested in the activities taking place in the room. His other master was there, but she paid him no attention for the most part so he didn't care. After all the goodies he had gotten at the party, he wasn't feeling good enough to care.

Xena was not just nervous, she was terrified. It had been over three seasons since Gabrielle had passed and even longer since she had shared a bed with anyone. Would she remember what to do? *Like riding a horse. You never forget. HA.*

"You seem a little tense Xena." Candace sat on the bed and motioned to the taller woman to be seated next to her. Xena looked around the room for a safer seat. There wasn't one. Candace stood back to her feet. "God, Xe, you would think I was some stranger. It's me. Candace. Remember? We've kissed before. Short, blonde, hungry?"

Xena smiled and the tension in the room dissipated. "I'm sorry. I just.....well. It's been a while."

"It's O.K. Sit."

Xena sat and looked up into incredible green eyes. They were darker than her bard's had been, but they were stunning. These eyes were just as kind and full of love. They looked into her very soul and caused her to tremble. *Gods help me.*

Candace tenderly placed her hands on Xena's strong shoulders. She was just as nervous as the brave Warrior Princess.

"Xena, I do want you to share my bed tonight. That doesn't mean that anything has to happen. Sleep with me. I want your arms around me while I dream. Is that too much to ask of you?"

Blue eyes stared into green and there was nothing she could do but agree. She smiled and nodded. Sleep was a good thing. And it was safe. Mostly.

Candace grinned back and bent for a kiss. Xena's hands found themselves on the back of Candace' legs. As the kiss turned more passionate, they moved up of their own accord and Xena felt a very shapely butt beneath her hands. She squeezed ever so slightly and a moan escaped her throat. The next thing she knew she was lying on her back with a small hardbody on top of her. Where her hands went, she couldn't control. They were buried in a mane of gold one second and then draped across a muscular back the next. The kiss was such that it was almost impossible to tell where one of them left off and the other began. To put it bluntly, they were having one hell of a make-out session. After several impassioned minutes, the two sweaty women ended up on their sides, arms wrapped around and legs entangled.

"Well, now. I call that a good start." Candace was breathless and her lips weren't sure if they would ever recover. She was surprised that she could even attain words that resembled speech..

"That depends on your definition of good start." Xena likewise was having difficulty with her mouth motor skills. She was not complaining.

"Meaning what?"

"I wouldn't say that it was a good way to induce sleep. Are YOU tired?"

"Uh. No. I am several things at the moment. Tired is most definitely not one of those."

"I see. And what would those other things be? Hummmm?" Eyebrows above blue wiggled suggestively.

"You want a list?" She wasn't sure Xena was prepared to hear it. It was bound to be fascinating

Xena gave a quick nod. This could be interesting if not exciting.

"I am," She counted on her fingers as she slowly made her list, "wound up.... turned on.... hot..... sweaty.... ready....... and....very......very..... wet." She whispered the last words into Xena's ear for effect.

It wasn't even an effect. It was a COLLISION. Xena felt the gut wrenching power of the words and they went right to her groin. She turned on her back, pulling the small woman with her. Out of need, she placed a soul searing kiss on her where tongues lashed and fought for control. Neither side was giving in. Xena pulled her thigh up until it came in contact with the very center of the blond woman's desire. Candace moaned loudly into Xena's mouth. Wetness poured out of her and soaked through her breeches. That dampness coated the long leg of the blue eyed warrior. As Candace pushed harder and faster, Xena grasped a beautiful rear end again and pulled Candace to her and they settled into a fast but sensual rhythm. "Wait." Xena wasn't sure why the blonde wanted to stop but she ceased her motions. Candace reached under her skirt and untied the thongs on either side of her underwear and pulled them off with one swift movement, tossing them aside. She slowly lowered herself back to her previous spot. She drew in a sharp breath when her heat touched the cool hardness of Xena's thigh.

Sapphire eyes, filled with passion peered directly into the depths of an emotional explosion. She was lost. Involuntary cries of desire were torn from her throat. A growl passed her lips when the very wetness that she had caused burned against her skin.

"Much better." Candace closed her eyes and let herself be abandoned to the passion. She ground her slickness steadily again into smooth skin. Moans and words poured from Candace deeper, more frequently and a great deal louder.

Xena couldn't stand it. Keeping one hand on a sexy, bare naked ass, she reached the other around and placed it between them. Her finger soon reached it's goal. Contact with a very sensitive bundle of nerves, caused the woman grinding above her to shudder.

"Oh! YES! Right there! Right there. O God! Don't stop. Pleaasse!"

"I need you, Candace. I need you to come for me..............please."

The final whispered plea overwhelmed Candace and sent her soaring over the edge of a magnificent release. "Aaaaaah. mmmmmm. Xena!!"

Shivering from the intense power of her orgasm, she fell onto Xena. The strong woman pulled her quickly into her arms where she held her tightly. "Thank you." Was all she could whisper.

Xena engulfed the petite angel in her arms. "No, dear one. Thank you." The always stoic but deeply emotional Warrior had tears running down her soft cheeks. Anguish for what had been and jubilation for what was to be. She had been released from this captivity to the past. The letting go had been pain like she had never known and relief she hadn't known she needed. It was the very definition of bittersweet.

A single tear-drop hit the back of Candace' hand and she knew the impact. These few moments they had shared would change them both forever.

"Xena. You alright?" Candace faced fear in that moment. Perhaps Xena had changed her mind or maybe realized she had made a mistake.

"Yes, my love. I'm fine." To prove the point she took the concerned woman's face in her hands and kissed soft lips with all the gentleness that was in her.

"Then, why the tears?" She was now lying curled up in her lovers embrace, her head propped on a broad shoulder.

"It is nothing I can explain and nothing you should need to worry about. But, know this, I do love you, so please, don't worry." She gave a slight squeeze and a kiss on the forehead for added emphasis.

It was now Candace's turn to shed tears. She was shocked that the words could hit her with such force. The emotion came and there was no way to control it. She was aware that she was sharing emotions with another, but these were her own. She did love the great warrior and there was no mistaking it.

"Now I should ask you the same thing. Are you alright?"

"Yes, Xena. I just didn't think I would ever hear those words from someone who knew what they meant."

"You think I know?"

"I'm sure of it. Your relationship with Gabrielle proved that. You know that love takes effort and yet is effortless. There is an ebb and flow that two people must be willing to let guide their lives. Good and bad. Hard and soft. You see, the bad times perfect and strengthen a relationship. I should say the going through does. It makes the good sweeter. Love is a complicated formula that few can figure. You have done that. I have faith."

"Really? Huh. Has anyone ever told you that you talk alot?" Xena smiled and scooted herself down to come face to face with the lounging blonde on her shoulder.

"No. I don't think so." She laughed. She couldn't keep her hands to herself as she reached out to trace the facial features of the beautiful woman holding her.

Xena nipped at her fingers as they attempted to touch her lips. The action brought out a giggle from the blonde. The two laughed at the sound. "Warriors don't giggle, Candace."

"You did, the first day I met you. Well, the first morning after I 'met' you at that party. We were in the dining hall."

"You're wrong. I don't giggle."

"You do too."

"Do not."

"Do."

"Not."

The warriors busted out laughing. Snuggling closer Candace captured Xena's lips with her own. Sweet and tender were words that could describe this encounter. They were both mostly clothed, laying I each other's arms, enjoying the sweet feelings flowing between them. Sweetness led quickly to desire and soon both women were without clothing and one white dog was displaced from his perch.

"You have the most beautiful body."

"Even the scars?" Even now Xena was anxious when it came to revealing her body. She never had a problem when it came to Gabrielle seeing her. They had been naked in front of each other long before they had become lovers. This for some reason was different.

"Especially the scars. They tell a meaningful story."

"Do you always know the right things to say?"

"I'm inspired." Candace flashed a bright smile at the gorgeous woman at her side.

"What is it that 'inspires' you?"

"You."

"Me? How?"

"Another list? You know what happened the last time I made a list." Candace threw her leg over Xena's mid-section and pushed lightly into her as a reminder.

"Yes, I think I remember something about that. Come on. Humor me."

"O.K. You asked for it. The very sight of you in the distance makes my heart skip a beat. Your eyes in and of themselves could be the basis for prose not yet conceived. Was that too corny?" Both women smiled and shook their heads. "Yeah. Sorry. Anyway, your touch, well, let's say I wasn't expecting the incredible intensity of it. And those lips, mmmmmmm. Those lips." This time she did run her fingers gently over them. Touching combined with looking at them made it impossible to remain on the subject. She replaced her fingers with her own lips and took captive her inspiration.

Xena ran her hand along Candace' side drawing near her breast. Her heart stopped but her hand didn't . *Gods! I am like a teenager having my first.* But she wanted, no, she needed this. Her palm enveloped soft mounds of flesh. Candace encouraged her with a low breathless moan. She paused trying to think but her thought process had abandoned her. Her mind may have temporarily forgotten what came next but her body knew the way. Nimble fingers sought out nipples hardened with excitement. A slight pinch and a tug elicited what could have been a scream had it not been directed into Xena's shoulder. *I hope that's a good thing.* Her question was answered when a very warm, soft mouth met the pulse point on her neck. It was her weakness. She had other erogenous spots on her body, but this one never failed to get her undivided attention.

Candace heard and felt the rumble of a moan that erupted from the throat of her warrior. Her mouth made love to the spot on Xena's neck that had produced the response. The warrior was writhing under her touch. It was time to take advantage of the situation. Never moving her mouth, her hand began a slow enticing exploration. Thighs, muscular and soft lead to a patch of down that was begging for research, but, not yet. Silent hands wandered into the hilly plains of Xena's rockhard abdomen. A thorough discovery of an awe inspiring stomach ushered in a find that surpassed the others thus far. Edible mounds of flesh topped with soft, but perfect, nipples. Her hands had the knowledge, now it was time for the taste test. With a kissing tongue-lashing, she worked her way from neck to breast. In a breathless whisper of worship, she took one breast in her mouth. Gentle persuasion brought a soft nipple out of its hiding place. Her tongue poked and circled and flicked at the puckered nub. It was just right for sucking. And that's exactly what she did.

"Ah Gods! You have no...aaah.. idea w.w.w...what.. that... dddoes to me."

"I see that it impairs your speach."

"Ha hhhh....aaaaaahh. Mmmmm."

"Yep."

Candace reached over and brought the other nipple to erectness with her fingers. It looked as tasty as the one in her mouth. Xena's hands were wrapped in her hair pulling her mouth down. She tried to move her head but came against resistance.

"Uh, Xe. I nee you to le u on my hea a liul." Talking with a mouthful can be a task.

"Oh! Sorry." Xena sheepishly grinned.

"S'all right." Candace stuck out her pointed tongue and flicked hard across Xena's nipple. It made them both jump.

Blonde hair spilled across Xena's breast's and arms. She had forgotten how sexy it was. Silk touched her wet nipple and it was manipulation of it's own accord. Gods, it felt good. Candace was an expert at exciting her already. The familiarity caused a strange feeling of deja' vu. It was as if Gabrielle were there with them. It was more than a physical touch. There was a tangible presence touching her soul. The combination of that feeling and the sensations Candace was causing with her touches made her whirl out of control.

"Touch me." Desperation colored her words. "Please. Touch me."

The very shy warrior was no more. Candace took note. If it was touching she desired, it was touching she would get. The hand that had brushed slightly against curly hair earlier was about to get an education in Wetness 101. Small but deft fingers made a path to the apex of a precious woman's need. Candace parted velvet folds to experience the flood within. The wetness controlled her actions as she found herself getting lost within. With two fingers she slowly hungrily entered her. Xena couldn't control the sounds that emanated from her. The feeling was so intense she cried out for release. Candace was not going to deny her lover anything she desired, but she wanted to taste the warrior's nectar before she conceded. It wasn't long before she had her tongue joining her fingers. She pulled a small soft nub into her mouth with a small amount of suction. Her fingers met the undulating rhythms of Xena's movements.

Slowly in and out talented fingers moved. Pressure caused by friction continued to build in her loins. An explosion was imminent. On the edge was where Candace held her. The feeling was excruciatingly thrilling and she had control over nothing. Her mouth could not forms words and her hips pumped and thrust of their own accord. The singer's mouth was moving in ways she had forgotten were possible. It surrounded her and filled her at once. Xena was so close she was shaking with every pass of Candace's soft tongue across her very swollen bud. She collected her self just enough to utter one rasped word:

"Pleeease."

That was enough for the blonde. Sending this creature over the edge would be a dream come true. Candace wanted to concentrate on the small bundle of nerves beneath her tongue. She pushed her fingers further into Xena's wetness, searching for that special spot. When she encountered it she stroked her curved fingers slowly while she pulled on Xena with her lips, sucking from root to tip. Xena screamed. Her orgasm pulsed powerfully against Candace's fingers as she slowly stroked every ounce of pleasure she could from the blue eyed warrior.

The power of her release fractured her soul and she was no longer inside of herself. She floated on a velvet plane of pleasure never wishing to return. It seemed never ending, as gentle hands glided and pushed her to new heights. Xena cried out again and a second orgasm crashed down upon her. She was engulfed in love and pleasure. Slowly the fingers that had filled her and the mouth that had overwhelmed her withdrew. She had no energy to object. She once more engulfed in love as small arms embraced her. In quiet submission, Xena curled into those arms. She was home.

-/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Several candle marks later Candace awoke still holding Xena in her arms. The ex-warlord didn't strike such an imposing figure with a trail of spittle running down the side of her mouth. Candace smiled at the sight. She loved it.

It was so peaceful it was lying here in the candlelight and the sounds of the night filling her hut. The woman in her arms added the final piece to the puzzle. This was a good thing.

 

*My God Gab. This is unreal. She is magical.*

*You think I don't know that? I felt her soul pulling on mine. Yours was out there too I might add. There is more to this than I was told, butI don't know what.*

*Wow! A soulical threesome. There is a first. Is that kinky?*

*I'm not sure, but that was awesome!*

"Yeah!"

Xena jumped at the sound. "Huh? Wha?"

"Shhh. It's O.K. I was thinking out loud. I didn't mean to wake you."

"S'O.K. What were you thinking about?"

"You. Surprise!"

"I think I like that. Candace, I need to talk to you."

"Uh oh. I don't like that."

"No. No. It's nothing to worry about. I want to go home."

Candace didn't know what to think. The thought of Xena leaving was like a stab in the heart.

"I see. When?"

"I want to leave as soon as possible. Maybe tomorrow."

"Tomorrow." She hung her head. *Shit! I just get her and she wants to leave. I guess I don't mean all that much.*

"Candace? Did you hear me?"

"Yeah you want to leave tomorrow."

"No. The rest of it."

"Rest?"

"I want you to go with me."

"Go with YOU?" She was elated. "Meet your mother." She wasn't near in the state of elation she had been.

"She'll love you."

"Ya think?"

"She'll love you if just for the fact that I do. So, are you coming?"

"That could take some effort on your part, but I will GO with you."

"Great! Now, about that coming business...." Xena grabbed her with humor and desire.

"Hey! I thought we were just going to sleep. "

"We will. Later."

And they did. Much later.

=/~~~~~~~~~~~>

Ephiny was not surprised that Xena wanted to return home. She was not even mildly shocked that Candace wanted to accompany her. The small blonde had come to her first thing in the morning asking permission to join Xena on her journey.

"I am guessing that last night was more than just a casual encounter."

The blonde woman blushed and nodded. She was having a hard enough time getting the body and the feel of the warrior off her mind without having to have 'Her Majesty' mention it.

"Good. It's about damn time. Are you sure you're ready to meet the future in-laws."

"You don't really think..."

"Well, it would seem the next step. Well, second next step."

"Second? What comes before that?"

"Just a little Amazon ritual that Xena has scheduled."

"Xena? Ritual? What is it?"

"After breakfast, please be present in the council chambers."

"Is that an official request?"

"It's a royal invitation."

Candace eyes grew wide. One did not turn down a royal invitation. She stammered her reply, "Uuu. Um. Yes, Your Majesty." She bowed and exited.

 

*Royal invitaion to the council chambers. What the hell is that all about?*

*I honestly don't know. It's serious enough to have Xena make it a royal invite. That's pull.*

 

The rumbling in her stomach made her forget the subject for the moment. "Food." She made her way to the dining hall hoping to find Xena and eat a large breakfast. Like there was any different kind for her. As she was searching for her lover she was met instead by a very unpleasant Kayla.

The brown-haired woman stood firmly blocking Candace's path.

*This I don't need.* Candace sighed and looked up at her nemisis.

"Morning, Kayla. Sleep well?" She knew which buttons to push and the time had come to push them.

"You bitch! How dare you ask me that."

"EXCUSE ME? I'm sorry. Did you just call me what I think you just called me?"

Kayla ignored the fact Candace had even spoken. "I did everything for you and you just blow me off for that...that..wh."

Candace cut her off, "Kayla! Watch_your_words! You can say anything you wish about me, but one comment about Xena and I will not hesitate to tear you limb from limb. Do I make myself clear." Candace's voice was cold, threatening and deadly serious. She could and would back up her words.

The sound in the dining hall had dropped to a deafening silence. They all knew the anger Kayla possessed for the Warrior Princess, but it was spilling over to Candace and that was a threat to the peace of the village. The inhabitants of the hall all stood to their feet. The entry of the Queen and her Consort made this situation escalate. The tension in the air and its origin was obvious. The royal couple made their way to the women.

"Candace, is there a problem here?" Ephiny was aware of the situation but hadn't thought that Kayla had the gall to confront Candace in front of everyone. She had underestimated the voracity of her desire to possess the beautiful blonde powerhouse.

"It's hard to say, Your Majesty. There seems to be something blocking my path."

"Kayla. Move. And meet me in my private chambers in one candle mark."

"Yes, Your Majesty." She resigned her position and allowed Candace to pass.

Senar had become almost as protective of the singer that had joined their nation, as she was of her spouse and their children. She glared at Kayla as she walked toward her intimidatingly. It was not a pleasant feeling for Kayla to be under the scrutiny of the Queen's Champion.

"Kayla. I don't know what your gig is, but you cause her or Xena any more problems and Candace won't have to tear you limb from limb. I'll do it myself." The tall muscular warrior turned her back and walked away. She had made her point. Unfortunately, she didn't make much of an impression.

Kayla glared at the back of Senar. She wanted to scream. *Gods! I could kill them! Having to listen to them rutting like pigs, all night. We'll see who wins in the end, Xena. We'll see."

=/~~~~~~~~~>

Candace was unsuccessful in her search for Xena. She was successful in getting her fill of breakfast and that made up for the earlier trouble. She had thought as little as she could about 'The Kayla Situation'. It was something she couldn't understand.

She made her way to the council chambers, filled with anticipation and nervous energy. She had never been in the chambers. Gabrielle had practically lived in chambers during much of the time. But 'her' experience wasn't helping Candace's apprehension. She reached the door and was met by two guards who motioned for her to wait. What seemed like forever later, she was met and ushered in by high royal escort. All the members of the council stood to their feet while she was shown her way to the podium. She stood before Ephiny.

The queen nodded as she acknowledged Candace. "Warrior. Welcome. Please take your place beside me." She pointed to the spot just left of the throne.

Shocked and confused by all the pomp she bowed and did as she was told. *What is going on here?*

"Xena of Amphipolis, Warrior Princess. Please enter."

Xena walked through a parted curtain and strode confidently down the center aisle. Candace caught her breath at what she thought to be the most incredible sight that she had ever seen. Xena was dressed in her full battle armor. The leather was freshly cleaned and oiled and the brass shone with recent polish. Sword at her back and the Chakram she had heard so much about, hung at her hip shining bright and menacingly. Her hair shimmered like midnight, shining with life of it's own. One thin braid adorned the left side entwined with a single strand of gold. She was magnificent. She looked at Candace with such love that sparkles danced in the sapphire gaze.

"Xena, please state your purpose before the Royal Council."

"Your Majesty, members of the council. I come before you this day to ask your permission to seek the hand of one of your warriors."

Candace almost passed out.

"Xena. State the name of the warrior."

"I seek the hand of Candace of America."

"And what are your intentions, Xena?"

"I intend to marry her."

"The council approves. Candace of America, do you accept?"

"Your majesty, may I question the warrior?" She was very surprised by the whole thing but was not going to lose her head in it. She needed to be sure.

"It's highly unusual, but there is no law against it. Proceed." *This should be interesting..*

Candace walked to the center of the platform. "Xena of Amphipolis, stand before me." It wasn't a request. It was an order.

Xena walked to position herself in front of where the blonde stood on the platform. She wasn't sure where this was leading but she prayed she had the right answers.

Candace stood to her full height, which wasn't much, but she had an air of authority that came with confidence. She gazed for a long moment at the one before her. She took a deep breath before she spoke.

"Xena, please state once again, your intentions."

 

"I intend to marry you."

"Is that all?"

"I'm sorry?" She was getting nervous.

"Is that your only intention?"

"I don't understand."

"Xena. Is your only intention to marry me?" The words were said with a purposeful force. Candace wasn't giving any leeway. She wanted the correct response and she knew the warrior would give it if she stopped to think.

Xena thought as fast as she could. She needed to breathe is what she really needed. Leave it to the stubborn blonde to bring the 'All High and Mighty Warrior Princess' to her knees. *Knees. Knees! That's it!* Xena slowly sank to one knee before the woman that had stolen her heart. The softness in her voice spoke volumes.

"Candace, you are a treasure given to me by the Gods. I intend to love you, help you, support you, lift you, cry before you and hold you when you cry. I intend to give of myself and accept what you give in return. I intend to listen to, protect, and cherish you. But most of all I intend to stand by your side while the ebb and flow takes us where it will. I love you. Will you join with me?" Xena held her breath and waited for the answer.

Candace let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. "Xena, I intend to hold you to it. Yes love, I will join with you."

Xena stood to her feet while the rest of the council cheered. She received many slaps on the back and she smiled proudly at each person that surrounded her. Making her way through the crowd she stepped up the platform to find her jewel. She looked to Ephiny seeking permission to collect her intended. The queen nodded her approval. Candace couldn't wipe the grin off of her face. Xena held out her hand and Candace accepted it. She was about to take Candace in her arms when she heard a menacing voice behind her.

"Hang on there... Xena."

Xena turned to see who had spoken. A look of hatred met her gaze and Kayla sneered at her. *What now?*

The queen stood to her feet and motioned for Trèsha to call order. Trèsha hit her staff on the floor quieting the group.

Ephiny shook her head exasperated. "Kayla. What is the meaning of this?"

"I am here to protest the engagement."

"On what grounds?"

"I wish to marry Candace. I am an Amazon. What that means, Xena, is that by law I have first rights. If she doesn't marry me, she marries no one." This was so sweet. *Eat that Warrior Bitch!*

"Xena is also an Amazon, Kayla. Your protest is in error."

"I am sorry your majesty, that is incorrect. Xena's Amazon status was stripped from her after the attack she made against the village."

"She was married to the Queen. Her status was returned to her."

"But Gabrielle is dead and Xena's Amazon status as Queens' Champion and consort was given by royal marriage. After death the status is dissolved. She is not an Amazon."

Xena was going to kill Kayla. The look of death was in her eyes and Candace placed a soft hand on her arm to waylay any violence. Blue eyes full of anger and torment were met by green full of love for only her. It gave her faith that, somehow, this would work out.

"I'm sorry Xena. She's right."

"Your majesty, may we call a short recess? I need to look something up and poll the council members?"

"Candace, you have something to add to this?"

"I hope so."

"Very well."

"I caution you Xena, don't do anything you would regret."

"Your Majesty." Xena bowed. *Why is it that all these women can read my mind.*

Trèsha hit the floor and stated, "Call recess. One half candle mark."

Ephiny pulled Candace aside. "Kayla's right you know. It's a very old law, but First Rights was placed to protect the nation."

"Ephiny, you forget who I am. I know the laws as well as any and the reasoning behind them. I am also familiar with the not so well known laws. If you will excuse me, I need to go to the library."

She gave her lover a quick kiss and a nod of assurance and then Candace strode off quickly in search of her answer. She prayed she was right.

Xena watched her go. She was holding her anger in check for the moment.

"Don't worry, Xe."

"If anyone can fix this, it's Ga....uh..Candace."

Xena missed the slip. "Why Candace? She's only been here four moons."

"Trust me Xena. Trust me." *OK. But who do I trust? Gabrielle? Candace? Oh boy.*

Half a candle mark later, all members of the council, Candace and Kayla, came to order in the chambers. Xena was not allowed to witness the proceedings. As a non-Amazon she was barred from closed meetings but she was a nervous pacing wreck. Senar looked out the door at her friend.

"Xe. Trust me. This is going to work out."

"How can you two be so sure?"

"We have faith in her. You should, too."

Xena took a deep cleansing breath. "Faith. Yeah." She felt a calm come over her that didn't make sense. Putting her fear aside she trusted Candace. *Faith.*

=/~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

"Candace, you have the floor." Trèsha motioned to her to take her place at the podium.

Candace stood at the podium with several parchments in her hand. She put them down and stepped in front of the speaking stand. "Thank you, Trèsha. Members of the council, I thank you for hearing me. I only have a few questions and I think this matter will be resolved." The regal young woman took a deep breath and continued. "Is it true that Xena did in fact marry Gabrielle of Potedia, Queen of the Amazons?"

The head council member, Kimi, answered for the group. "Yes, this is true."

 

"Was she or was she not an Amazon before that time."

"She was not."

"Her title had been stripped from her." It was a statement not a question.

"That is correct."

"How did she regain her status?"

"She married Royalty and was given Amazon status through that marriage."

"Was her status lost at the passing of Gabrielle."

"Yes. According to 'Laws of Amazon Status', Article 12, section 4, paragraph 92, "Status granted through marriage to royalty is dissolved after the death of the Amazon spouse."

"Is there another way to gain Amazon status?"

"Yes. There must be a unanimous vote of the seated council."

"Were you a member of the council at anytime during Gabrielle's reign?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"The council is turned over every four seasons or at the death of a reigning monarch."

"So the current seated council has been in place how long?"

"Three seasons, five moons"

"Since Gabrielle's passing."

"Yes."

"Your Majesty, you were Regent at the time were you not?"

"I was."

"But you were not seated with the council at the time of Gabrielle and Xena's wedding or for several months following, correct?"

"That is correct."

"Why is that?"

"I was on maternity leave."

Candace strode over to the podium and picked up parchment and walked it to Kimi.

"Kimi will you please read the document I have handed you."

"On this the Second year of the reign of Gabrielle, third moon, fifteenth day, a petition was placed before the council for a vote. The petition was placed to grant Xena, Champion, consort, wife of Queen Gabrielle, Amazon status. The vote was 48-1. With one absent."

"Who was that one dissenting vote?"

"Senar."

"Regent Ephiny's spouse. Continue."

"After a short debate, the one vote was disallowed for reason of prejudice. The vote passes. Xena is hereby granted all rights and privileges associated with the status of Amazon Warrior. Sealed Gabrielle Queen of the Amazons."

"Thank you. If I may quote from Laws of Status, also, Article 12, section 5, paragraph 2, "Status granted by vote, barring crimes against the nation, can only be removed by a unanimous vote of the seated council." Gabrielle made sure that Xena would not lose her status upon her death by having the council vote her in and not granting it by royal rights. Has Xena committed any crimes against the nation since the passing of Queen Gabrielle?

"No."

"Has the council taken a poll to remove Amazon status from Xena?"

Kimi smiled. "No."

"According to the laws we have just read, is Xena is still an Amazon?"

"Yes."

"Cool. I rest. " Candace looked smugly at Kayla.

 

*You lose, babe!*

*Nicely done, Candace.*

*Thank you, and thank you. What a stroke of genius.*

*I studied all the laws and made them work for me as well as the nation.*

*Well, I for one am glad!*

 

Queen Ephiny was smugly disinterested in the woman who had protested. "Kayla, your claim to First Right is deemed invalid. You are dismissed."

The woman was beyond angry. She had done all the research and it had come to this. *This is NOT over!* "Gritting her teeth she replied to Ephiny. "Yes Your Majesty."

"And Kayla, we still need to have that meeting. One candle mark from now. Please exit the chambers."

As Senar escorted the woman out, Ephiny caught her eye and spoke softly to her lover.

"Bring Xena in, please."

Senar nodded and exited the chambers with a huge grin on her face. Kayla, on the other hand, was looking like an angry wet boar. She spat in Xena's direction. The warrior ignored her. As she saw the approach of the Queen's Champion, Xena stood up and looked expectantly at her friend.

"Congratulations, my friend. You are getting married."

"I am? How? What...?"

"Your intended is very good. She would make a great leader."

"She, my friend, would make a great wife." Xena shook the wrist of the woman who would stand with her at her joining ceremony. The two women grinned hugely at each other. It was a good day after all.

Senar led Xena into the chambers where she was directed to stand before the Queen's throne. She made a deep bow and smile winningly at the woman standing off to the Queen's right. The woman returned the smile with not just a little bit of desire causing Xena's knees to go weak once again. She almost missed it when the monarch spoke.

"Xena. The matter of First Right has been addressed. It has been determined by the council, with the help of Candace, that you are by all rights, an Amazon Warrior. You have made your intentions known and as an Amazon have the freedom to court any warrior of your choosing. The claim of First Right has been dismissed. Therefore, does your desire still stand?"

"It does."

"Candace. Does your desire still stand?"

"Oh yeah."

"Very well. Xena?"

"Mmm?" Whose eyes had never left the slice of Elysia waiting on the platform for her.

"Will you please kiss her before we all die from the tension?"

"With pleasure."

Xena took the small hand in her own and guided her into waiting arms. They kissed sweetly amid the cheering council and royalty. Only Candace could hear Xena's voice when she spoke seductively in her ear, "Do you think I have earned 'Eau du Little Blonde Warrior'?"

"Definitely."

Xena led her lover to her own hut. They weren't going to get any traveling in this day. But they were going other places to be sure.

Continued - Part 4

 


Return to The Bard's Corner - Kandis Glasgow