The Suspect Part 6

 

Cass and Allison had agreed that lovemaking would have to wait until they were both comfortable with it. While both agreed they wanted it, they both knew that there may be consequences to their actions. Cass agreed to sleep with Allison that night and morning found them both in t-shirts and shorts snuggled up together in Allison’s bed. For Allison it was like a coming home of sorts. She had curled up next to Cass and immediately fallen asleep in the dark profiler’s arms. It was a little piece of heaven to her. For Cass it was a different feeling altogether. She had never felt so safe or secure herself. She was also afraid that if she closed her eyes, the beauty next to her would fade with the dawning day. She imagined that Allison was a wonderful concoction of her imagination that wouldn’t be there if she let it out of her site. Cass lay awake most of the night reveling in the feel of the young woman nestled in her arms. It was a sense of peace, Cass had never known before. It was more than a feeling of coming home or a sense of déjà vu; it was magically soothing to her. A balm made for her broken heart. Finally in the late hours of the night she fell asleep keeping Allison tucked next to her.

Allison startled to a noise. Lifting her head, she looked at the clock on her bedside table. It read seven thirty. Ughhhh, it’s too damn early for a Saturday. She shifted slightly and looked up, seeing Cass in the early hours while being sound asleep made her breath catch. She felt like her heart stopped. Cass was beautiful. Her face was completely relaxed she looked almost childlike in her sleep. No longer minding the ungodly hour, she allowed herself the simple pleasure of just looking at the dark woman next to her. Cass had revealed a great deal of her fears to Allison the night before just by telling her about her relationship with Sara and the consequences of that relationship. The story of Sara was the only reason Allison hadn’t made a serious attempt at getting Cass to make love with her. Her mind was ready to consummate a physical relationship, and her body was certainly willing. But her heart told her to wait until Cass had the same comfort level she did. "Anything worth having is worth waiting for Cass," Allison said softly.

She was surprised when a sleep hazed orb opened and Cass replied, "I agree with you totally on that sweetheart".

Allison’s heart skipped a beat at the endearment, Cass had heard her, and acknowledged the same thing she was thinking! She smiled shyly at the profiler and replied softly, "Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you."

Cass shifted in the bed, pulling Allison closer to her. As Allison nuzzled close into the crook of her shoulder, Cass inhaled the fragrant smell Allison’s shampoo. "Gee your hair smells terrific," she said offhandedly.

Allison laughed, "Thank you. Where do you get that stuff?"

Cass sighed, "A gift from the gods, my demented brain is." She ran her hand up and down the length of Allison’s back, causing shivers to run through the young woman’s body. Allison smiled at the contact and the sensations that Cass’ touch elicited from her body.

"Are you going back to Springfield today?" she asked softly.

"I don’t have to, unless Kate finds something and wants me up there. The task force is looking into leads and gathering evidence right now. Unless you want me to go?" The dark woman asked.

"No, no I don’t want you to go. I just……I guess I just realized what an awkward position this puts you in." Allison replied.

Cass looked down at the honey red hair and smiled into it, "It’s not awkward, I sleep on my back all the time."

Allison slapped Cass lightly on the abdomen "I’m serious. Could you get into trouble for being here with me? I know I’m a suspect, I also know you have had to deal with this before."

Cass placed two fingers under the younger woman’s chin, lifting gently until green eyes met her own deep blue. "I have dealt with it before. I’m not taking it all that lightly. I just want to be here. And as for you being a suspect, I don’t consider you one."

Allison smiled a soft shy smile and replied, "Thank you," softly.

Cass lowered her mouth to Allison’s breathing a barely audible, "Your welcome," before kissing her lightly. She continued a light exploration before slowly pulling away. When Allison looked up at her with confused and heavy-lidded eyes, she smiled again, "I’ll kiss you proper after I get rid of my morning breath."

With that Allison laughed out right and kissed the older woman again. Cass pushed her away slightly and said, "I mean it. I’ll be right back." Quickly disengaging herself from the young woman’s arms, Cass made a beeline for the bathroom and her toothbrush.

Allison lay in bed on her back thinking about how wonderful it had been to spend the night in Cass’ arms. It had been a long time since anyone made her feel that safe and secure. She lay thinking about what she would do to be able to wake that way everyday when a sudden banging on her door averted her attention. Looking at the clock as she got out of bed she silently vowed death to the person that interrupted a Saturday morning with Cass.

Walking to the door, she noticed that Cass had opted to take a shower while she was in the bathroom, pausing for a few indecent thoughts, she continued toward the incessant knocking. As she opened the door, her mouth dropped open. Claire!

Claire rushed into the apartment pulling Allison into her arms, "Ally, I’m so sorry, I just heard about Bryce, are you alright?"

Allison returned the hug, thankful to see her friend again after the agonizing two weeks she’d been gone. "I’m fine Claire. Really I’m fine. Where have you been? I was worried sick about you."

"I went to stay at a friend’s," she offered lamely. "I was a little uncomfortable being here after that night, so I stayed at Monica’s. I went to mom and dads for a short vacation this week though. I just got back into town, and read the paper this morning and saw the headline, and Ally…" she was cut off by Allison’s question.

"What paper?"

"Huh?" Claire asked.

"You said you saw this in the paper?" Allison asked again.

Claire looked at Allison still confused. Didn’t she know? "Ummm, yeah its all over today’s paper. Haven’t you seen it?"

"Actually, I haven’t," Allison replied shakily. She walked out the front door and looked in her box for the morning paper. "Holy shit." She remarked as she unfolded the daily news.

"Illinois State Trooper found dead in home. Foul Play is suspected."

"Oh my fucking God!" Allison exclaimed. She quickly scanned the front-page article, reading of the way Bryce was found and the fact that it had been set up to look like an accident, but that they were treating it as a homicide investigation. She continued to read on, about his recent divorce from his "estranged wife" and possible connections to other suspects. Allison slowly dropped the paper and walked to her sofa sitting down. Claire sat next to her, her arm resting on Allison’s back. Tears appeared in Allison’s eyes as she thought about what this would do to her life. She knew that this investigation was going to be big news and she was going to be the center of it. Hot tears streamed down her face as thought about what would happen to her career, her new found home, her relationship with Cass. I’m gonna kill that Kate Reese, with my own two hands. She promised me this would be a discreet operation. Hah, right up until she got back into town last night!

"Ally, talk to me. What’s going on?" Claire asked.

"Bryce was found murdered in his home four days ago. The police are investigating it right now." Allison managed to say.

"Are they sure he was murdered?" Claire asked incredulously.

"Yes, there’s a profiler from the FBI here, and she says it’s definitely a murder case." Allison replied. Suddenly, remembering that the profiler was in her shower, she looked at Claire and a panicked feeling overcame her. "Look I need to make some phone calls and find out what the hell is going on here. Are you still staying at Monica’s?" Allison asked.

"Well, I thought about talking to you about coming back here, but it’s up to you. I know you may need someone around to help you through all of this. I just want you to know I’m here for whatever you need, Ally." Claire stated.

"Right now, she has someone here."

Both women shot upright on the couch as the dark profiler entered the room. Claire out of shear surprise that someone else was there and Allison because she hadn’t heard the tall woman exit the shower.

"Oh, you’re done, I didn’t hear you." Allison said as she got up from the couch. She gestured awkwardly toward Claire and said, "This is my friend Claire, she used to be my roommate, we were just talking about that actually. Ummmm, anyway, Claire this is Cass Martin, Cass, this is Claire Warner."

Cass walked over to the couch and extended her hand to Claire, "Nice to meet you Claire."

Claire returned the handshake then looked at Allison in disbelief. She wouldn’t take me to her bed, but she takes her? Maybe she didn’t sleep in the same bed. Quickly Claire brushed past Cass and walked into her old bedroom. The bed was stripped bare and there were no bags lying in the room. What the hell was she thinking? Claire’s anger and jealousy both kicked in at the same time and she returned from the room, her eyes burning into Allison’s.

Hazel eyes met green and Allison recognized the hurt and anger coming from her friend. "Claire, I need to explain something here," she began.

"NO! No, you don’t have to explain anything. I get it. You wouldn’t take me because you didn’t feel the same way, but you meet a total stranger and you take her to bed with you. I get it just fine Ally, just fucking fine!" Claire seethed.

Cass stepped in to place a hand on Claire’s arm only to have it jerked away violently by the angry young woman. "Don’t touch me," Claire yelled at Cass.

As quickly as Claire yanked her arm away from Cass, Cass took it back and pinned Claire to the wall putting herself between Claire and Allison. Azure depths turned quickly ice blue and Cass’ voice was low and deadly as she squeezed Claire’s arm. "Don’t you ever, and I mean ever yell at her like that again." She felt Claire stop struggling against her, and loosened her hold on her arm. Giving her a good shove into the wall, she reiterated, "Do we understand each other Claire?"

"Yes, we do," she replied angrily as she shook her arm to bring the circulation back to it.

Turning to Allison, Cass looked down at the wide-eyed young woman and smiled, "You okay?"

Allison merely nodded and looked back to Claire. "Will you at least listen to me now?"

"I don’t really have a lot of choice, unless I want the Ice Queen here to break my damn arm." Claire said angrily.

"Good, if you can play nice, I’m going to the car. I’ll be right back." She said looking at Allison, but the meaning was for Claire.

Cass walked out of the apartment, closing the door behind her. Claire, still shaking her arm, turned angry eyes toward Allison. "You don’t need to explain anything, Ally, I really do get it."

"Maybe I want to explain, Claire. Maybe I want to tell my best friend how this wonderful woman swept me off my feet. Maybe I wanted to tell my best friend that for the first time in my life I’m falling head over heels. Maybe I wanted my best friend to be happy for me dammit." Allison’s voice raised an octave as she continued to explain this new and wonderful thing that had happened to her.

Claire’s eyes filled with tears as she looked at Allison. "Maybe I wanted to be the one to make you feel all of those wonderful things Ally. Did you ever think of that?"

Allison blinked with the realization that Claire was still in love with her. "I’m sorry Claire, I just didn’t think about it. I’m so sorry. I just didn’t feel that with you. You made me feel safe and loved and that means so much to me. I don’t know what else to say."

"Don’t say anything else Ally, please don’t." Claire put her hand up emphasizing her point. "If this is who makes you happy, then that’s what I want for you. I always wanted that for you. I just want you to be happy and safe."

Allison stepped forward, putting her hand on Claire’s arm as she softly asked, "Are you going to be all right?"

Claire laughed at the absurdity of the question. Allison truly was naïve about this kind of thing. "No, I’m not going to for a while. But I’m going to live. Miserably, but I’ll live".

With that Allison laughed too. Pulling Claire into a lose hug, she held the woman close for several seconds. Claire returned the hug, then gently pushed Allison back from her. "I can’t be this close to you right now though. I just wanted to see what you had found out about Bryce and to tell you how sorry I was."

"I know, it’s okay. Thank you for that," Allison replied. "I don’t know much, all they told me was that he was found in our old house, murdered."

"They really think someone killed him"?

"Apparently, there was a detective with ISP homicide here last night. She came back from Springfield with Cass to ask me a few questions……."

She was interrupted by Claire’s question. "Cass is investigating this case"?

"Well, she was called in to consult on it. But that’s not how we met. We met by accident, literally." Allison smiled sadly.

"So she’s with ISP as well?" Claire continued the interrogation.

"No, she’s with the FBI. She’s a profiler for them, she was called in to look at the case and see if it was a homicide or not," Allison explained.

"So this is an FBI case now?"

"No, I’m just consulting and giving an opinion of homicide versus accidental death." Once again, neither woman heard the quiet profiler enter the room. Allison made a mental note to ask Cass if she was a cat burglar in her previous life or something.

Both women turned to see the dark profiler standing in the living room. Allison had no idea how long Cass had been there, but suspected it hadn’t been long. Looking at the gorgeous figure standing there gave Allison shivers in places you wouldn’t normally expect to have them. No, she couldn’t have been there very long.

She smiled at Cass extending her hand out to the dark woman, "Hey we were just talking about you."

Cass smiled and took the outstretched hand as she closed the distance between her and Allison. "So I hear."

Allison looked back to Claire, who was now staring at the joined hands. Turning to Cass she looked up into the blue depths and smiled. "Maybe you can tell Claire more about what you do than I can. I really don’t know that much".

"Sure, Claire, whatever you’d like to know." Cass replied as she studied the woman standing across from her.

Claire suddenly felt nervous and began to shift from one foot to the other. "No, it’s okay, Cass. I just wanted to check on Ally here and see if they knew anything about what had happened to Bryce. I saw this morning’s paper and I kind of freaked out. You know?"

"Why? What’s in today’s paper?" Cass asked cautiously.

Allison had completely forgot about the paper. Suddenly reminded of it, she became angry again. She walked over to the couch and picked up the paper handing it to Cass. As Cass opened the paper and began scanning the headlines, Allison spoke. "So much for detective Reese’s promise to be discreet. Remind me to thank her when I see her."

Cass’ jaw fell open as she read the headline. Allison was going to have to stand in line to kill Kate if she had anything to do with this. Someone could very well have sabotaged this whole damn case by bringing it out into the open. What the hell were they thinking up there?
She turned to look at Allison and her face grew softer as she spoke. "I can’t believe Kate would do this. But if she did, I’ll kill her myself. I’m sorry Allison, I had no idea this was going to break like this."

"You don’t think Kate would have done this then"? Allison asked quietly.

"No, she wouldn’t have. There are three other members on the task force, so they’ll be questioned as well. Kate wants this kept as quiet as possible. With this information out in public our killer may decide to run." Cass explained. "I’m going to call Kate right now and find out what she knows."

Cass walked over to her briefcase and pulled out a leather address book, quickly skimming pages she picked up Allison’s phone and began dialing. Allison and Claire stood dumbfounded in the living room as Cass made the call. Claire began shifting again from one foot to the other and Allison noticed her friend’s discomfort. "I’m going to make some coffee, would you like some?"

Claire looked at Allison and stammered, "Umm, coffee, no, I …..have to get back to Mon’s. If you need anything Ally, I mean anything at all, you call me there okay?"

"Sure Claire I will. Thank you for coming over to check on me this morning. I’ve really missed you." Allison said as she pulled Claire in for another hug. This time Claire returned the hug and kissed Allison on the cheek as she made her departure.

Cass checked Kate’s office first and got her voice mail. She left a brief message and hung up the phone. Picking up the black book again, she dialed Kate’s home number. On the fifth ring a Sleepy voice replied on the other end, " ‘Lo?"

"Kate," Cass asked?

"Um, hold on a second," Cass could hear the soft exchange of voices in the background and finally a very sleepy detective Reese picked up the phone. "Yeah, Reese."

"Kate? Is that you? Who answered your phone?" Cass asked.

"None of your damn business Cass. What the hell are you doing up?" Kate was grumpy when you woke her up in the morning.

Cass smiled at the thought of interrupting Kate’s little catnap. Still wondering who answered the phone, she told Kate about the paper.

"Holy shit! You’re kidding me? It’s in today’s paper?" Kate bellowed. She heard a muffled sound over the phone and heard Kate ask the mystery woman to go get the paper for her. Returning to Cass, she replied, "Jesus H. Christ! Did Allison give them a statement or something?"

"No, Allison didn’t know anything about it until a friend of hers came over this morning with the paper and told her about it. She thought you told someone." Cass explained, she was relieved she was going to have to kill one her best friends.

"I came back to Springfield last night and ran into an old friend and then we came back here. I didn’t know anything about this until YOU woke me up!" Kate explained.

"Okay, so who had access to this information besides you and I?" Cass was starting to get worried that they had a leak inside. It wasn’t uncommon for this to happen, but it certainly made doing their job easier.

Kate quickly did a mental inventory of all persons that had been involved on the case. "Well, there’s you, me, Mike, and the other two detectives on the case. Then there’s the medical examiner, the court officers that handled the exhumation paperwork for me yesterday, and anyone else in the ISP clerking department. There are actually a lot of people who know we are investigating this as a homicide right now Cass".

"Shit, shit, shit, shit." Cass said. "So much for keeping this quiet and discreet, huh?"

"Yeah looks that way. Look I wasn’t going in to my office today, but I need to see to it that no more information leaks. All the blood had already been sent to the lab, we just gave them the ‘go ahead’ for processing, hopefully it will be done in forty-eight to seventy-two hours. I sent a team to the house yesterday and they did vacuuming, and dusting for prints. So far six sets of prints found. They took the sheets from the bed as well. Is there anything you need on that end?" Kate rambled.

Looking at the blond in the kitchen making coffee, Cass smiled. Yeah, but you can’t help me with that my friend. "No, just keep me posted on what you find out. And tell the guys on the task force that this is a confidential investigation. No information is released unless it comes from you directly. I want to know who this unnamed source is that the paper used."

"Not half as bad as I do Cass." Kate replied, "How’s Allison?"

"Aside from being mad as hell, I think she’s worried about what’s going to happen with this being in the open. She’s worried about her job and what she’s going to do about the questions that come out of the story in the paper." Cass began to get angry again at the thought of someone trying to mess up Allison’s life. She continued to watch the young woman as she set about making breakfast. Allison was wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, the same clothes she’d slept in the night before. Cass noticed how firm and muscular her legs were and groaned involuntarily when Allison reached up on a tiptoe to reach something in her cabinet.

"Geeez Cass, get your mind out of the gutter. I can feel that groan all the way in Springfield." Kate remarked dryly. "Look I’m sorry about all of this, but you need to think about this case right now. If it’s out in the open, chances are, she’s gonna be headline news. If you’re seen in public with her, it’s gonna look really shitty."

Cass had the decency to blush, but only for a short time before Kate’s words sank in. "Yeah, I know. I’m gonna need some help on this case. I want you to ask for another profiler. I’ve done a preliminary on our suspect, but I want another one here."

"Okay, I’ll call and submit my request. What are you going to do in the meantime?" Kate was trying to get Cass out of the situation before it went bad. She knew that they were playing with fire and someone was going to get burnt.

"I’m going to stay here for right now. No one knows who I am, or that a FBI profiler was even called in. So, unless someone else fingers me or mentions me, I’m staying put." Cass explained logically. She wasn’t sure whom she was trying to convince, Kate or herself. She just knew she didn’t want to leave Allison. Maybe she could talk to her about having Claire stay with her if she had to leave. Making a mental note to ask Allison about it, she finished up her conversation with Kate.

Cass hung up the phone and walked the short distance to the kitchen where Allison stood with her back to the counter facing Cass. She had her legs crossed at the ankles as she slowly sipped her coffee. She looked up at Cass and slowly lowered her mug. "So what does Kate say about all of this?"

"Kate didn’t know anything about it. She read her paper and the story is in that one as well. She’s going to the office to look into it this morning. She’ll let me know if anything turns up." Cass replied gently.

"Okay, so what do we do now?" Allison asked as she looked up at Cass.

Cass smiled down at the younger woman and leaned in toward Allison’s lips, "I made a promise to do something earlier that I didn’t get to finish." Closing the distance between them Cass pressed her lips against Allison’s. Her hands immediately went to Allison’s waist as she pulled the younger woman closer to her. The kiss started very slow and deliberate but soon, she felt Allison’s tongue playing against her lips and she opened her mouth to deepen the kiss. Allison tasted of the coffee. Rich heat engulfed her mouth as Cass explored the now familiar depths. Allison moved her hands to Cass’ neck and pulled her closer and Cass moaned in response. Her body seemed to be melting into the blonde’s as pressed her against the counter in an attempt to get closer to her. Cass decided she needed to be closer and pulled Allison up effortlessly and sat her on the counter. As the kiss continued, Allison pulled Cass closer to her. Sliding to the edge of the counter, she felt Cass push her hips into her further. Allison moaned as Cass’ hands began wandering to her back her shoulders and then to her hips and buttocks again. Allison was completely content to just feel the sensations that Cass awakened in her. She loved the feel of Cass’ mouth moving on her, the way she fit next to her. It was an awe-inspiring kiss. She felt the familiar pull in her stomach that quickly radiated downward and spiraled up. She felt dizzy and grounded all at the same time and the sensation was intense.

Cass was feeling the same sensations and couldn’t seem to get close enough to the smaller woman. She wanted Allison to feel the same things she was feeling, wanted her to know how much she wanted her. Gods, Cass! Take her to bed will you? Id’s timing was perfect, as usual. Cass suddenly realized she wanted to take Allison to bed more than she wanted her next breath of air. Cass knew she could carry Allison to her bed and ravage her for the entire day and the younger woman wouldn’t protest a bit. But rationale won over and she slowly broke the kiss, leaning her forehead against Allison’s as she tried to slow her breathing.

Allison was panting slightly and her skin had taken on a flushed hue that made her even more aware of the sexual tension between herself and the dark profiler. She slowly lifted her head to look into Cass’ eyes. Desire and need were clearly visible in the dark profiler’s sapphire orbs. She smiled and slowly kissed Cass again before pulling away. I don’t know how much longer I’m going to be able to let you stop this Cass. Smiling again at Cass she met the blue eyes again, "You keep promises like that profiler and I’m going to forget about my promise to not ravage you."

Cass laughed as she hugged Allison, pulling her close she slowly slid Allison down the length of her body until her feet were planted firmly on the floor. "If you keep kissing me like that, I might just let you."

This time it was Allison’s turn to laugh. It made her feel good to have someone want her like she wanted, no needed, them. She turned back to her coffee and made a cup for Cass while she stood looking on.

They both decided to behave for the time being and set about making breakfast. As they ate Cass began to talk to Allison about her conversation with Kate. "I told her to go ahead and call in another profiler." Cass sounded as if it were as casual a decision as deciding what to wear.

"I thought you were going to wait until you had a good profile then call the other one in for a consultation only." Allison was surprised by Cass’ decision.

"I was, but with the paper this morning, I’m afraid that this publicity may be too hot to keep on the case. I’ll still consult and offer opinions if needed. But I can’t be on this case with the way I feel about you." Cass remarked. "As much as I hate to admit it, Kate is right. If I get caught up in a relationship with a suspect, it will severely tarnish this case. I can’t take that chance with your life, sweetheart. I’m sorry, I just can’t do it."

Allison felt Cass’ hand cover hers on the table and she squeezed back, knowing the profiler was right. "Are you going to go home then?" Panic entered Allison’s voice along with a sense of sadness at the thought of losing Cass.

"No, that’s why I’m having them call in another profiler. I’m going to take some personal time and see about working on this case from a research prospective. That way I don’t run into a conflict of interest here. I still have to stay on the case until the other profiler gets here." Cass tried to reassure Allison that everything was going to be okay. She was terrified of losing this woman. It was a scary feeling to have your whole life interrupted by falling in love…whoa, wait a minute. Love? Are we in love here Cass? Cass honestly didn’t know. She had never felt such strong feelings with another person. She never felt this way with Sara. The only thing Cass could think of was love, and that didn’t seem like a big enough word to describe her feelings for the young woman. If she had to put a word to it, love would be it, but it seemed a significantly small word to use.

"I’m glad you’re not leaving. I’d hate to think of waking up in the morning and knowing I wouldn’t see you." Allison’s admission was softly spoken and so honest it touched the profiler profoundly. She leaned toward Allison and placed a small kiss on her lips sealing her promise. "I’m not going anywhere."

"So what do we do now?" Allison asked.

"Well, I’m going to have to go to Springfield Monday, so we have the weekend to do with as we please. What do you want to do?" Cass replied.

Allison smiled a slow sexy smile, "I know what I’d like to do with you. But I don’t think that’s a good idea right now. So I suggest we find something to do other than being cooped up in this close proximity. Otherwise I may just forget you’re investigating a homicide here." The husky way she spoke made Cass shiver involuntarily and she wanted very badly to remain cooped up here with Allison. But her logic won out and she simply nodded her head in agreement. Not trusting herself or id to respond to the suggestive tone in Allison’s remark.

"Good, how about we go to over to Van where my car is and check out the damages, so I can get it either fixed or sold."

"Sounds like a plan to me," Cass replied.

"Okay, I’m going to go get a shower. You need anything right now?"

"Just a petite strawberry blonde, know where I could find one?" Cass didn’t even try to stop id this time. Sitting back in her chair, she watched Allison blush completely before turning toward the bathroom.

"You’re beautiful when you blush." Cass yelled to the retreating woman.

Allison returned twenty minutes later, ready to head out. Grabbing her purse and keys, she leaned in and gave Cass a quick kiss on the mouth before heading out the door. "What was that for?" Cass inquired.

"For telling me I am beautiful." Allison smiled.

Cass muttered something about complimenting her more often as the two headed out the door.

 

 

 

The Suspect Part 7

Cass and Allison drove to Vandalia together to see about Allison’s car. Cass maintained some form of contact with Allison at all times. The talk was minimal, but Allison felt simply cherished in the way Cass touched her. Her hand rested lightly on her thigh or held her hand. It was so simple a gesture, but it said so much. Allison found herself smiling the entire ride.

Cass noticed the smile and found her own face graced with a matching one. Squeezing Allison’s hand she asked the younger woman, "What are you thinking"?

Allison turned her head away from the window to look at the darker woman’s profile. Smile still in place she replied, "I’m thinking how good it feels just to have someone touch me; without pain, without consequence, without a price. Thank you for that."

She watched as Cass’ smile softened and her eyes darkened to an even deeper shade of blue. She lifted Allison’s hand to her lips, kissing it softly, and placing possessively on her thigh. "You’re very welcome. I happen to like touching you very much."

Allison laughed, "I’m glad, because I really like it."

The ride continued in comfortable silence as the two enjoyed the scenery and the comfort of just being together.

 

They arrived back at Allison’s apartment early that afternoon. The day had been enjoyable. Allison had talked to an insurance adjuster and found out her car was a total loss. After making a few calls, the adjuster found a man that would buy the car for parts and took it off her hands. Between the money for the car from the junk man and the insurance money from it, Allison ended up ahead with it. They entered the apartment and found the answering machine blinking.

Upon checking the machine, Allison and Cass found messages for them both. Allison’s boss had called and wanted her to call him at home as soon as possible. There were five calls from reporters from various newspapers wanting to interview Allison about Bryce’s death. There were also two calls from the local television stations wanting to do on air interviews. Kate called twice to check in with Cass about various findings of the day. Allison stood staring at the machine like it was possessed by demons. Why can’t they just leave this alone? What the hell do they want? I don’t know what happened. I sure as hell didn’t kill my "estranged" husband.

Her shoulders shook and she trembled with silent sobs. Cass’ heart immediately constricted. She went to Allison, pulling her into her arms. The younger woman went willingly into those arms, taking all the comfort and strength offered there. She sobbed quietly as Cass whispered comforting words. Cass’ heart ached for the younger woman. She wished she could take all of Allison’s pain and fears and scatter them on the wind.

Cass continued to hold Allison until her tears were spent. Rocking back and forth as she held her, Allison snuggled further into the dark woman’s arms. She began to feel a little better, still frustrated, but better. "Thank you. I….um…need to call Frank."

"S’okay, hon. I’m right here." Cass replied softly as she let Allison go. Allison went to the phone where she proceeded to call her boss, Frank. Cass could hear Allison’s pleading and arguing with her boss on the phone and figured that she was losing the battle quickly. Finally, Allison yelled into the phone. "Fine, then you just suspend me. I’ll be back to see you after I’m cleared and I’m going to sue your ass for wrongful suspension!…………….I don’t give a shit if it is with pay! You’re not hearing me Frank. I did NOT kill my ex-husband. I didn’t even know he was dead until yesterday. ……………..Jesus H. Christ! What the hell do you think I do for a living?……..No, you made your decision. I will not lay low until this blows over. You go fuck yourself Frank." Slamming the phone down, fresh tears and a huge sigh of frustration escaped the younger woman.

Cass felt that familiar pain again. As much as she wanted to hold Allison and tell her it was going to be all right, she couldn’t. She didn’t know it was going to be okay. Instead she quietly stood by the door and watched as the younger woman paced and vented. Allison ranted wildly as she paced back and forth, cursing her boss and whoever did kill Bryce. She vowed out loud to the person that killed him that the authorities had better find them first, or she’d kill them herself for making her life hell. She did not run from an abusive husband and leave her whole life behind just to have some idiot with a bee in their bonnet over her ex-husband ruin it all. Cass found herself smiling at the young woman’s determination. She felt sorry for anyone who had to face Allison McDaniels’ wrath.

Allison paced and ranted for what seemed an eternity. When she felt some semblance of control return she stopped and looked at Cass. The profiler stood leaning in the doorway and had a smirk on her face! A smirk! Walking up to Cass and standing on her tiptoes until she was nose level with the dark profiler she stopped within an inch of her nose. "What the hell is so fucking funny Cass?"

This only made Cass smile more. "You’re beautiful when you’re angry. I take it your boss didn’t want to offer condolences on your loss huh?"

"No. That son-of-a-bitch put me on paid suspension until the investigation is officially over." Allison replied indignantly. She put her chin up in defiance and crossed her arms over her chest waiting for Cass to react.

Cass kept smiling. "I’m sorry hon, but it could’ve been without pay. At least they are giving you that benefit."

"Benefit?"

"Yes, benefit. They could have just fired you. He didn’t do that. He actually suspended you with pay. You could look at it like a vacation." Cass said.

"I’m not on vacation. I may be on trial here. My whole damn life is gonna be public knowledge soon and you’re sitting there smiling. What’s going through your head," Allison demanded.

Cass stopped smiling, "Look, we didn’t plan this. It happened. None of us planned a leak to the press. But it’s here. It will give you a chance to lay low. You should do that, you know. I know you’re mad right now. But in retrospect this is a good thing. Now you don’t have to worry about the press hounding you at work. Now all we have to do is find a way to keep them from finding your house, and we’ll be okay." She took Allison’s upper arms and guided her to the couch. Sitting her down, she kissed the befuddled woman lightly on the lips. "Now, you were saying?"

Allison smiled slightly as she looked up at the profiler. "You’re saying this could be a blessing in disguise right?"

"Perhaps. We don’t know what’s going to happen just yet. I’ll feel a whole helluva lot better if you’re not out and about," Cass replied as she lowered her lips to Allison’s again.

This time Allison returned the kiss. "Thanks, again. I seem to be thanking you a lot."

"I don’t mind, and you’re more than welcome."

Resigning herself to her waiting, Allison smiled a slow smile for Cass that made her breath catch in her chest. Cass suddenly had the overwhelming urge to kiss the younger woman senseless, then take her to bed and show her how much she cared about her. It took all the mental strength she had to let Allison go and stand from her point on the floor. "I need to check in with Kate. Do you want something to eat or drink?"

Allison pursed her lips in thought, "Hmmmm, no, I don’t think so. I’m gonna sit her and sulk for a little while, but thanks."

Cass smiled down at the younger woman and walked to the phone. Deciding that playing phone tag with Kate wouldn’t be much fun today, she dialed Kate’s pager number and then the number to Allison’s apartment. Hanging up the phone, she walked back to the living room and retrieved her briefcase. She carried it into the kitchen and began sorting through the papers and photos from the crime scene and looking over her profile. She’d started a profile on the killer yesterday and it was about as much as she was going to get put together with the current information they had. She looked over the descriptions and witness accounts of the murder scene and was startled from her studies by the ringing of the phone.

"Hello." Cass answered into the phone.

"Hey, you rang?" It was Kate. She sounded tired and cranky.

"I did. How’s your day?" Cass asked.

"Well, let’s see. I put a rush on your tox screen, lifted five sets of prints from the house, two of which we identified and are cross-referencing the other three. I called about another profiler and they will be here on Wednesday. I also think I found our leak, he’s on suspension as of today…..and uh" Kate was cut off by Cass’ question.

"You found the leak already?"

"Umm yeah, it was Dobinski. The big dumb ass. He thought we’d scare our killer out in the open if we had some info. So he leaked it to a reporter he met at a bar last night. So our unnamed source is now named and if I have my way about it, unemployed." Kate was angry. For a split second, Cass almost felt sorry for the big dumb ass. Then she considered how angry Allison was a few moments ago and quickly conceded that he deserved a little time off, especially off of this case.

"Well, at least he’s gonna be quiet from here on out. How soon on the tox screen?" Cass asked.

"I’m hoping by Monday morning, afternoon at the latest. I am glad you called though. I did some checking with the insurance company for Bryce’s life insurance policy." Kate brought the subject up cautiously.

"And?"

"And it seems that Bryce didn’t change the beneficiary of his policy. As it stands right now, Allison is the soul beneficiary of that policy."

"Okay, so what’s the problem?" Cass asked impatiently. She hated it when Kate was vague or made her guess.

Tired of playing the guessing game herself, Kate decided to put her cards on the table. "He left her 1.5 million clean. Plus there was a double ademnity to the policy. If he died as a result of an accidental cause he was worth a cool 3 million."

"Holy shit" Cass said quietly.

"No kidding, ‘Holy shit’, this thing being set up to look like an accident sure as hell doesn’t make it look good for your would-be girlfriend." Kate verified what Cass had thought.

Cass suddenly felt the room around her spin. Sitting on the chair in the kitchen she looked at the young woman sitting on the couch. Three million bucks was one hell of a motive for murder. Looking at Allison, Cass shook her head. No, there is no way she would do this, not even for three million dollars. Would you have killed him for three million dollars Cass? Hell, after what he put Allison through, I’d have killed him for free and considered it a community service. Dammit. Cass took a deep calming breath, exhaling slowly. She thought for a second then asked Kate another question. "What did her finances look like?"

"Actually, they are in perfect order. One credit card. A car that was paid for, now totaled. No gambling habits, no mortgage, nothing to indicate that she needed money at all. She makes twenty eight thousand a year working for the state. Nothing much to find. No hidden accounts, she has checking, savings, and a TSA started four years ago. That’s about it." Kate finished.

"Okay, so there’s nothing incriminating in the financial history at least. See about the insurance thing though. Is there anyway they can tell who might have checked up on it recently?" Cass inquired.

"They said that they had one call about it, a woman that identified herself as Allison McDaniels about two weeks ago. They have the call on tape and are looking for it for me to review." Kate hated the way that sounded, but it really looked bad for Allison right now. Cass needed to know what she was getting herself into. She was also incredibly relieved that the other profiler was going to be here soon.

Cass pursed her lips in thought. Jesus, this looks bad. Now we have someone who called the insurance agency and verified the policy two weeks ago. Gods, why the hell would you do that if you were going to kill someone? Okay Cass, what the hell do you want to do here? She honestly didn’t know what to think. Her chest ached at the thought of Allison being guilty. She couldn’t, no she wouldn’t believe that this woman that held her heart was capable of such a thing. No, it just wasn’t a possibility. "Okay, check the phone records. I want to know every call that came in and out of Allison’s apartment for the last three weeks. And get the records for Bryce’s house too. This would be too convenient if there were calls there, but I need to know who called who and when."

"Already working on that. I called them after I found out about the insurance thing. Anything else you need on your end?" Kate asked.

Cass smiled she’d forgotten how good Kate was at putting two and two together. "Not a thing, just keep me posted. If anything changes or you find the matches to those other prints, I want to know. Okay?"

"Gotcha. I’m gonna go home. If I find anything else I’ll let you know." Kate replied.

"Okay, thanks Kate."

"No prob. You take care Cass. Bye"

Cass looked at the phone for a couple of seconds after she heard the click on Kate’s end. Looking back into the living room, she watched the woman on the couch. Allison sat quietly looking through the "TV Guide". Cass silently studied the younger woman’s profile as she thought about how beautiful Allison really was. She was stunning, in all her years of education, that was the only word that came to mind. She was the total package. She was smart, loving, caring, gorgeous, and warm. Hell she even felt bad that someone who was abusive to her had died. Someone who’s sole goal in life was to make her life hell, he wanted her to live in fear of him, yet she mourned his death and even felt bad about it. She had every reason to kill him, but for the life of her, Cass couldn’t think it was possible. Thinking with some other body parts Cass? Shut up, id. I’m not talking out of school here. If you want to know about things you’d better start by talking to her about what you know. If you hold something back, you’re gonna fuck this up so bad you won’t know up from sick ‘em. As much as Cass hated to admit it, id was right. Stupid fucking alter egos. I heard that. So what? Shut up.

Cass walked into the living room and sat down next to Allison on the couch. Allison looked up and smiled. Cass’ heart stopped beating. It was the same smile she had on her face in the picture she’d seen at Bryce’s house. It took a full minute for Cass to clear her head and for her pulse to resume. By all the gods, this woman truly was beautiful. Hey Princess Hormone? We got work to do remember? Hellooooooo, Cass. Breath will ya??? Cass blinked, covering her irritation with id. She shook her head to clear it, not realizing Allison had spoken.

"Uhh sorry what?" she asked.

"What did Kate have to say?" Allison cocked her head to the side wondering what was wrong with the profiler. "You okay"?

Cass blinked again and shifted on the couch. "I’m fine. Uhh, Kate found the leak. He’s on suspension, pending a hearing."

Allison’s face looked shocked, "You’re kidding? That fast?"

"Yeah, apparently, he thought he was doing the right thing. He just forgot to say "Mother may I?"

"Well, that’s good then?" Allison asked.

"I think so. It helps us to lock down the information. They found some other stuff from the house, prints I mean. They also found something interesting out about the insurance policy that Bryce had." Cass began very cautiously.

Allison looked confused, "Okay?"

"He never took you off that policy Allison." Cass was trying to get Allison to fill in the blanks. But the younger woman just didn’t get it. She looked even more confused.

"Okay, he didn’t take me off of it. Just send whatever the amount was to his parents. At least they may be able to pay for his funeral." Allison gestured with her hands as if it didn’t matter what happened to the money.

"That would be one hell of a funeral Allison" Cass offered.

Realization hit in and Allison looked up at Cass. "Why? How much was the policy for?"

"Well, there were two amounts. The actual death policy was for 1.5 million."

"Dollars?" Allison’s jaw dropped. She had no idea Bryce had taken out a policy like that.

"Yes." Cass replied. "There was also a double ademnity to it."

"Okay, what’s that?"

"The ademnity was a secondary plan that stated if Bryce died of accidental causes, it would pay double to the beneficiary."

"Holy shit! You mean he had a policy worth three million dollars?" Allison asked.

"Yes Allison he did. I hate to ask this, but did you know anything about this policy?" Cass looked down and fumbled with her hands momentarily while asking the question.

Allison looked at Cass as if she’d suddenly sprouted a third head. "Cass, I had no idea that Bryce had a policy like that. It never occurred to me. We had life insurance policies that we took out shortly after we got married. To pay off bills, and pay for funerals if anything ever happened to one or the other of us. But I had no idea he had anything like this."

Cass met her eyes and slowly asked the next question. "Did you call the company two weeks ago to verify the policy?"

"Cass, did you hear a word I just said? I didn’t know the policy existed until now, how the hell would I have called them?" Allison was defensive and slightly angry now.

"Look, I’m sorry. I have to ask. Someone called them and said they were you and inquired about the policy. If you called I’d like to know. That’s why I asked." Cass was direct and deliberate in her explanation of the questions.

Allison’s chin raised slightly as she crossed her arms on her chest. "I had no idea that policy existed. Actually, I knew about the policy, I had no idea about the amounts. But I did not call to check up on it."

"Well, someone did. And with the fact that Bryce’s murder was set up to look like an accident. It makes it all the worse Allison. I’m sorry, I just wanted to tell you about it." Cass looked into Allison’s eyes wanting the younger woman to know how much she cared about her.

Allison didn’t see it. She was too angry. "So, because there was this double amnity thing, and his death was set up to look like an accident, and someone using my name called the company, you think I’m guilty. Is that what you wanted to tell me about Cass?"

"No, it wasn’t. I wanted you to see how this looked for you right now." Cass replied softly.

"I know how this looks right now Cass." Allison yelled. Green eyes were deep and angry as they met the blue of Cass’. "I know it looks like I’m the prime suspect. I know this is more than circumstantial. I’m not stupid!"

"I never said you were stupid. Not ever. I’m just trying to explain…." She was cut off by Allison’s hand in her face.

"I don’t want to hear it." She continued holding her hand up. "I don’t want to know how bad this looks. I don’t want to hear how you are having a hard time explaining things. Right now I don’t care! I had nothing to do with his death. Nothing!"

Cass opened her mouth to speak but was cut off again by Allison’s hand. "I mean it Cass. If you can’t trust me on this, maybe you shouldn’t be here."

For the first time, reality kicked in for Cass. She shouldn’t be here. Period. She shouldn’t be here wanting this woman, and telling her what was going on in this case. It was dangerous for all involved. What the hell was she thinking? Resigning herself to her own defeat, she lowered her head. "You’re right Allison."

"About trusting me?" She asked hopefully.

"No, about being here. I shouldn’t be." She rose from the couch and went to the bedroom to get her bags. Leaving a very confused Allison on the couch.

She returned a few minutes later, bag in hand. She quickly put her things from the table in her briefcase. Turning to Allison she looked down at the younger woman. "Just for the record, I do trust you Allison. I was trying to help."

Allison got up from the couch walking up to the older woman, she placed a hand on her arm. "Where are you going?"

"I’m going to Springfield. I’ll be at Kate’s. You have my cell number and pager number if you need anything." Cass replied.

"If I need anything?" Allison asked, panic slightly sounding in her voice.

"Yes, I’ll be there for the remainder of this case. It’s a true conflict of interest for me to be here. I…." Cass’ words trailed off. You what? You love her? Is that what you want to say? She lifted her hand as if to say something else, but then changed her mind. Chicken shit.

"What if I said I need you?" Allison asked softly.

Cass struggled to take a breath, trying desperately to hold her control. "When this case is over. Win, lose or draw. I’ll be back." Caressing Allison’s face with the back of her hand, she leaned forward slightly. Brushing her lips lightly against hers, she broke the contact quickly and turned and left.

Allison stood in her living room, touching a trembling hand to her lips as tears rolled down her face. "I love you Cass." She whispered to the silence of her apartment.

Cass practically ran to her car. Once safely inside she started the engine and backed out of the drive. "I love you Allison." She spoke softly to the light in the living room window.

Cass drove straight to Springfield. She went directly to Kate’s house, knocking on the door. She waited patiently until the tired and irritable detective answered the door. Looking down at Kate, she smiled a weak smile that didn’t really reach her eyes. "Hey, can I camp out here for the night?"

Kate looked at the profiler knowingly. "Sure Cass, sure," she said softly.

 

Continued - Parts 8 - Epilogue

 

 


Return to The Bard's Corner