Chapter 11

Friday, 1700 Hours

 

 

“Stop here,” Janai told the cab driver.  The ride to Occoquan turned out to be rather pleasant as the cab driver relaxed knowing he wouldn’t get stiffed for the fare.  Since he was a life-long native of Washington, Alana pumped him on the sites she didn’t get to see.  He even had quite a sense of humor and numerous stories that Alana and Janai enjoyed immensely. 

 

“You sure lady?  I pride myself on door-to-door service,” he grinned as he looked into the rear view mirror at his dark haired passenger.

 

“Yes.  We want to surprise them.” 

 

“Okay,” he replied as he braked to a stop.  He looked at the meter that read $46.80.  “You two sure you want me to have a $50 tip?  I can make change for you.”

 

“No, you keep it,” Alana insisted.  “Your stories and information were well worth it!”

 

“Okay,” he said gratefully.  “Thanks!  You gals have a nice visit.  And, if you need a cab, just ask for me.  My name’s Bert.  My cab number is 2034.  The dispatcher will find me and let me know.”

 

The women exited the cab and waived as the cabbie turned around and headed back down the road.

 

“Okay.  Now do you want to tell me why we’re back here?” Alana asked as they started walking toward the house.

 

“A little more rule bending,” Janai informed her.  “They have an SUV in the garage.  I thought we could just ‘borrow’ it for a bit.  The closest emergency starcraft is over a few counties the other side of a place called Flint Hills.  We’ll have to hike into the mountains to reach it, but it’s the closest craft.  The SUV will get us closer to the site.”

 

“And, we’ll just leave the vehicle to be found?”

 

“Yeah, someone will turn it in.  I figure if we leave now, we can get to the site before morning.  Besides…I finally remembered what I forgot to do yesterday morning before we left.”

 

Alana looked at her protector in amazement.  For as long as she had known Janai, she never forgot anything.  “You forgot something?”

 

“Hmm, yeah.  It took me a bit, but I finally remembered when we were at the Air and Space Museum.  When those two found us on the ocean floor, they kept us…well, in the suspended state we were in…as a found treasure.  Even had us mounted in special devices.”

 

“And?”

 

“And, I forgot to duplicate the spheres and replace them in the holders.  As inquisitive as those two are, they’re liable to get real interested if those spheres can’t be found.”

 

“Don’t you think they’ve noticed that already?” Alana countered.

 

“Probably, but if I place the spheres say, in one of the cat’s beds…they’ll probably just shrug it off.”  She looked over at Alana and smiled.  “Remember how protective the animals were of us in that state?”

 

Alana nodded remembering how she was beginning to think she would have to take on their form to get out of the suspended state.  “Yes, you’re right…as usual.”

 

Janai reached down and picked up two small stones from the side of the road.  She placed one in each hand and closed her fingers around them.  Concentrating, she closed her eyes.  When she opened her hands, each held a sphere, replicated to resemble the spheres of their suspended states.  She looked at them closely.  Satisfied they would do, she put them in her jacket pocket.

 

They picked up the pace and were at the front door in short order.  Janai carefully checked the windows and listened to make sure there was no one around, then waived her hand over the locks.  She opened the door and ushered Alana in, quickly closing it behind her.  Two cats ran to the door surprised by the return of their otherworldly masters and began an intertwining step dance between Janai and Alana’s legs.

 

“Hey there little ones,” Janai said softly as she bent over to pet the cats.  “Where’s your sister?”

 

Spice looked up and blinked hard then let out a loud “YEOW!”  Butter on the other hand just kept up the serpentine walk and purred loudly.

 

“Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that,” she told the cat as she stood.  “Well, I’m sure they’ll have a hard time trying to figure it out…but at least she’ll be healthy again.”  Spice seemed to nod her head perceptibly and mewed softly.

 

“You healed her?” Alana said in amazement.  “That’s another bend in the rules, Janai.  Pretty soon that rule book of yours is going to look like a spiral staircase!”

 

“She was just months from dying, Alana.  I couldn’t let that happen.  I, I just…”

 

Alana pulled Janai around and looked deep into her protector’s eyes.  “This visit has been full of surprises.  Most of them good.”  Alana reached up with both hands and slipped them around Janai’s neck.  “It’s no wonder I love you so.”

Janai’s body couldn’t help but react to the touch of Alana’s hands as they wound around her neck.  That simple motion elicited a trickle of excitement that soon became a torrent as Alana pulled her head down and placed a kiss on her lips.  It was as though all of her senses were suddenly turned up to high.  Her breathing became more rapid and her heartbeat picked up it’s pace.  She could almost feel the blood that was coursing through her lips during the kiss become hot as it moved through the capillaries of that sensitive tissue.  Soon the heat spread as it continued on its rounds through her system leaving no tissue untouched by the desire that was building.  Janai’s body reacted on it’s own, overriding her cautions and adherence to duty as her arms enveloped Alana and pulled her closer…trying hard to pull Alana directly into her…to become one with her.  Wanting much more…to finally give in to the desire that had been building since the near kiss at the FDR Memorial and their tentative kisses at the hotel.  As their lips barely parted, Janai struggled to regain her self-control. 

 

“Alana, I want…” her words ended as Alana brushed her lips with another soft kiss.

 

“Yes, Janai, so do I.  And perhaps once we are safely back in the realm we can explore the possibilities in a more appropriate atmosphere.”

 

There was a loud “YEOW” that accompanied Alana’s statement causing the two women to look down at the calico cat sitting at their feet. 

 

Janai nodded at the cat and said, “Yes, little one.  We need to finish our business here and be on our way.”  

 

Janai led the way to the master suite and examined the nooks and crannies, concentrating on finding a likely spot to leave the replicated spheres.  Alana helped in the search for the perfect spots.  Although her senses were on alert, Janai did not perceive any existence of danger and was unaware of the muted sound of the garage door opening.

* * * * *

 

Katie pulled into the garage, parking her Boxster next to the SUV.  On the seat beside her was Sugar in her soft-sided carrier.  The cat had been napping the entire ride from the veterinarian’s office and was still quietly resting from all the playing.

 

“Okay, Sugar.  Time to wake up now.  We’re home,” Katie informed the sleepy feline as she got out from the driver’s side and walked over to the passenger side, to remove Sugar’s carrier.  She had left the Training Center in such a hurry that she still had her service weapon in the holster clipped to her belt instead of in the backpack she had slung around her shoulder.  When she reached in for the carrier, she noticed the gun as her jacket slipped open.  “No wonder everyone was so quiet at the vet’s office,” she mumbled as she reached for the carrier and pulled it out with a bit of effort.  “Urf, you need to go on a diet young lady.”  The cat merely mewed softly as it woke up to its surroundings.  

 

They exited the garage and headed up the path to the front door.  Katie put the key in the lock and was surprised to find the door was unlocked and the security codes were already off.  She knew Dean wasn’t home because her car wasn’t in the garage or on the driveway by the front door.  Cautiously she opened the door, putting the cat carrier down as soon as they entered and silently closed the door behind her.  She slipped her backpack off setting it by the carrier, removed her coat and pulled her gun from the holster, switching off the safety.  Sugar meowed loudly at being left in the carrier, so Katie reached down and unzipped the top allowing the cat to escape its confines.  Sugar jumped out and hurriedly went in search of her mates.

 

Katie gripped her weapon with both hands and stepped lightly through the living room.  Gaining the entrance to the kitchen she listened intently before moving in low, weapon at the ready.  Finding it empty she proceeded down the hall toward the master suite.  Halfway down the hall, she heard the voices.  Female voices that sounded an awful lot like Dean’s and hers.  Gathering her inner resources, she crept silently toward the bedroom…

* * * * *

 

Her senses now alerted to another presence in the home, Janai motioned silently to Alana and put a finger to her lips in a silencing motion.  Alana stopped and looked expectantly at Janai who was focusing on the bedroom door as she moved to be at Alana’s side.  She tilted her head toward Alana and whispered, “I’m afraid we’re about to be found out.”  Alana looked at her in alarm but was immediately calmed by the unconcerned look on Janai’s face as she stood waiting for the inevitable. 

 

It wasn’t long before Katie came into the room, gun trained on them, and shouting, “Freeze!”   They stood there, motionless, hands held loosely at their sides, hopeful smiles on their faces.  “Put your hands up!” she shouted, although a bit disconcerted at their uncanny appearance.

 

“Please,” Janai began as she raised her arms.  “We mean no harm.”

 

The three felines bounded into the room and wound their way between Janai and Alana’s legs in a show of acceptance.  Katie was extremely confused, but kept her weapon trained on them.  “Who…who are you?” she began as she took in their details, amazed that she seemed to be looking at life-sized clones of herself and Dean.  The only discrepancy was the eye coloring.  It was exactly the opposite.

 

“We are…visitors,” Janai began.  “My name is Janai, and this is Alana.  We came here to visit your country and other countries, to learn about your governments and to experience your uniqueness’.   Not to do you or anyone any harm.”

 

“Really?” Katie said a bit sarcastically.  “Then why have you broken into our home and why the get up?”

 

“Get up?” Alana questioned.  “Oh, you mean, why do we look exactly like you and your friend?”  Katie nodded in affirmation.  “Well, that’s a long story that we would be happy to relate, but it would be a lot easier if you didn’t have that thing pointed at us.”

 

As if on cue, Sugar jumped up to Janai, who quickly reached out and caught her, causing Katie to swing her aim toward her.  “Please, let us explain,” Janai cautioned as she held the cat who was now licking her face appreciatively.  The two other cats meowed loudly and looked at Katie expectantly.

 

The friendly action of her animals and the dead-ringer looks had Katie off balance.  Her cats never took to strangers, but then, she thought, these weren’t really strangers in their eyes, were they?  Weighing her options, Katie knew that Dean would be home soon, so if she could just keep these two imposters contained…ok, gotta stall till Dean gets here

 

“Okay,” Katie began, “let’s just go out to the living room and you can tell me your story.”  She stepped towards the bed, making room for the two women to exit ahead of her.  “Oh, by the way, I’m an excellent shot, so don’t try anything.”

 

“Yes, we know,” Alana said smiling at her as she headed to the short hallway that led to the living room.  Janai followed, still holding Sugar while talking to the cat in a low whisper.

 

Entering the living room, Katie motioned for them to sit together on the couch.  She sat in the love seat opposite them, gun still at the ready.  “Okay, who wants to start?  Or maybe I should call the police first?”

 

That comment alarmed them as they looked to each other then back at Katie.

 

“Ah!  Don’t want the police involved, huh?  Then, maybe I should just make that call,” Katie said as she released the grip on the gun with one hand and reached for her cell phone that was clipped to her belt.

 

“No, please!” Alana began, holding up a hand.  “It would not be beneficial to involve them.”

 

“Besides,” Janai interjected calmly, “your cell phone isn’t working right now.”

 

Katie looked at her in disbelief.  She had just charged it in the car on the way home.  She pulled the phone from the clip and flipped it open.  It was dead.  She punched the power button with her thumb, but there was no response.

 

“And,” Janai continued, “your weapon is useless right now too so you may as well put it away.  We’re not going anywhere and, as I said, we mean you no harm.”

 

Katie looked at her gun and noticed the safety was back on.  She tried to thumb it off, but it wouldn’t budge.  She looked up at Dean’s duplicate and said, “how?”

 

Janai shook her head.  “I’ll explain in a bit.  Right now, Dean is coming up the path.  We’ll tell the whole story when she gets in.”  She settled back on the couch, discreetly taking Alana’s hand in hers as all three watched the door open.

 

Dean came through the door and stopped dead in her tracks as she took in the scene before her.  On the couch were two women who looked exactly like her and Katie, and on the love seat opposite them was seated, Katie.  Her lover looked at her with confusion and fear while the women opposite had calm features.  As Dean shut the door behind her she looked at Katie.  “Katie?  Is everything okay?”

 

“I’m not sure,” she began as she looked back at the imposters.  “But, I think we need to listen to what they have to say.”

 

Dean nodded appraising the situation.  Katie had her gun in her lap while the cats were sitting calmly in the laps of the two lookalikes.  She took off her coat and hat, putting them on the rack by the door.  She even bent down to pick up Katie’s coat that was lying on the floor and added it to the rack before she moved to sit on the love seat next to Katie.

 

“So,” she began.  “Anyone want to fill me in?” Dean asked with a raise of an eyebrow toward her twin.

 

Janai smiled at the directness and started to explain.  “My name is Janai and this is Alana…or I should be more specific, Princess Alana of the Theiliosian Realm.”

 

“Theilios?  Where’s that?” Katie cut in, feeling much calmer now that Dean was beside her.

 

“Ah, well…that may be a bit difficult to explain.  Suffice it to say that it’s not in this quadrant of the galaxy.”

 

“Galaxy?  You did say galaxy?” Katie looked at Dean who had on her calm mask.  Her immediate thought was, oh boy…I think these two are a few cards short of a full deck, but when she rolled her eyes at Dean, she saw a flicker of something…she thinks this is possible!

 

“Yes,” Alana confirmed.  “We are not of your planet.”

 

Ohmygod!  Katie slumped back into the love seat and braced herself for the rest of the story that Alana began to tell.

 

“My father is the leader of our realm.  He sent me here to visit your great cities and learn from your people.  He feels that understanding you and your many governments will help to make me a more competent and compassionate ruler.  Janai,” she looked affectionately at her and gave their still entwined hands a squeeze, “is my protector.  She has been by my side for many years now.”  She looked back at Dean and Katie and continued.  “We were visiting one of the islands in the area you call the Caribbean, when you two spotted us swimming in the ocean.  That’s how we wound up here, in this country.  You see, you actually brought us here.”

 

Dean nodded and said, “the marbles.”

 

“Yes,” Alana acknowledged, quite surprised at the human’s ability to grasp the concept.

 

“And you’re in our exact forms because?” Dean questioned, eyebrow raised.

 

Janai picked up the conversation, “Because in that state, a suspended state for us, the only way we could re-form would be in an alternate state that would not be ‘accepted’ by humans.  I was able to assume your identity thanks to a drop of blood that was extracted by this one.”  Janai affectionately rubbed Butter who had been sprawled across her lap and purred with the attention being given her.  “Alana took on your identity Katie, when I removed one of your hairs from your hairbrush.  We came back because I had failed to replace the spheres with replicates.”  She paused, then added, “We also came to borrow your vehicle.”

 

“So,” Katie asked a bit surprised at the last comment, “You want us to believe that you two are from another part of the galaxy and you can change shape…like the shape shifters on the sci-fi channel.  And, you need to borrow our car?”

 

“Yes, pretty much like that,” Janai agreed.  “But I’m afraid things aren’t always quite that simple.  Just before we went for our ‘swim’ I told Alana about a partial communication that came to me.  It had to deal with a force of rebels threatening the realm and I am in fear for her safety.  I am positive that someone is after us.  I can feel him or her using their powers.  Our scheduled pick up is not for eight more days, but I’m afraid that we might not survive that long.  We are on our way to an emergency starcraft.  That’s why we needed your vehicle.”  She shook her head in disbelief then looked over at her partner.  “Can we have a word in private?”

 

Dean shrugged and looked at the look-alikes.

 

“Go ahead,” Janai offered politely, “we’ll be right here when you get back.”

 

Dean took Katie’s hand pulling her partner up with her as she stood and led the way to the kitchen where they could talk and still keep an eye on their doubles.

 

“Are you really believing this?” Katie whispered as she watched Janai and Alana through the kitchen archway.  “I mean it’s so…”

 

“Unbelievable?” Dean offered quietly.  “Yeah, I got to admit it is a stretch.”  She looked deeply into Katie’s eyes.  “When I came in, you had your gun on your lap and not trained on them.  And I noticed the safety was still in the on position. Why?”

 

“Well, um, would you believe I couldn’t get it off?”

 

Dean nodded her head.  “Today, when I went for lunch at the Old Post Office Pavilion…something strange happened.”  Katie forgot about the women in the other room and focused her attention on Dean.  “I just placed my order and was doing my usual people watching when I noticed a man rushing from shop to shop looking for someone.  When he came into the Taverna, he looked straight at me.  When our eyes locked for that brief moment, I felt as though I had met him before or something…and his eyes…they were…” Dean closed her eyes and inhaled slowly as though trying to regain control.

 

“Dean…sweetheart, are you all right?” Katie reached up and stroked Dean’s face as she watched the flicker of movement under the closed eyelids and the jaw muscles clench and unclench.

 

Slowly, Dean exhaled and opened her eyes welcoming the warmth of Katie’s emerald gaze.  “Yeah, it was just a very ill-omened sensation.  The eyes were so evil looking.  Like I was gazing into the depths of hell.”  She shook her head to clear the feeling that had settled on her once more.  “As soon as he left, I could feel the hairs on my neck standing and doing that little warning itch.  I just knew something bad was coming our way.”

 

“Dean, couldn’t these women be that?  The bad thing coming our way?”

 

“No.” Dean shook her head again.  “I don’t think so.”  She raised her right hand to her neck.  “Not an itch in sight,” she said with a thin smile.  “Let’s keep an open mind with these two.  So far, my gut is telling me to believe them.”

 

Katie nodded her head slowly.  “Okay, love.  You know I trust you…and your gut.”  She patted the mentioned anatomy softly and looked up at her lover.

 

That comment brought a big grin to Dean’s face.  She circled her lover with her arms and gently placed a kiss on Katie’s soft lips.  “I love you,” Dean breathed softly as their lips parted.

 

Katie’s eyelids fluttered opened, “I love you too,” she affirmed, as she reveled in the warmth of their embrace.

 

“All right,” Dean drawled, “open minds and a few more questions for our twins, okay?”

 

“Lead on Sherlock,” Katie responded and waved her lover into the living room.

 

They returned to their seats on the couch, still holding hands, and resumed their conversation with their ‘guests.’

 

“Let’s get to the good part, shall we?” Dean began as her mind rapidly took the information they gave her previously and processed it into the bizarre facts of the past few days.  “First, tell me about these powers.  What kind of damage can they do to a human?”

 

“Why do you ask?  We have not hurt anyone,” Janai answered defensively.

 

“No,” Dean held up her hand in a calming gesture.  “I don’t believe you have…but someone has.  Is it possible that someone else could have brought along this person seeking you in the same way we did?”

 

“It’s possible, but I don’t see how.  If someone were that close to us, I would have sensed something.”

 

“Well, let’s just assume that someone or ones found one of these spheres, much like we had, and just happened to bring it home with them too.”

 

Katie put her hand to her mouth and gasped as she saw where Dean was headed.  “Eddie and Angie?”

 

Dean nodded at her partner and shrugged.  “That would explain the autopsy reports.”

 

“And the guy who looked like Officer DeVoe?” the blonde continued on the same train of thought.

 

Dean nodded again.  “Remember how he just quit asking questions when you told him about losing your marbles?”

 

“Yes…oh my God, Dean.  You’re right.  This is all making sense.”

 

Janai jumped in at the mention of the other lookalike.  “There was someone here?  Questioning you about us?”

 

“Not directly, but …” Dean remembered the Marine she picked up and drove to the bus stop on her way home that night and his comments about diving, and children’s toys, and…marbles.  “Damn, I actually met your tracker twice!”

 

“This is not good,” Janai stood and began to pace.  “We must leave immediately.  He’s been here and he’s likely to be back…and he probably knows what we look like.  She looked down at Alana who also had a very concerned expression.  “Alana, you have no doubts now?”

 

“No, none.”  She stood also.  “We must go.  But Janai, these people will be in danger if we leave them here.”

 

“Whoa!” Katie chimed in jumping up too.  “What kind of danger?”

 

“Death…a cruel and painful death,” Janai said simply.

 

Katie looked at Dean who was already working out a plan.  “I think we need to know more about your trip and who may be behind this threat,” she said as she looked up at her twin.

* * * * *

 

 

Chapter 12

Friday, 1730 Hours

 

“So, you have no idea who the tracker is?” Dean questioned as the four-some sat in the kitchen around the table.  There were several maps spread out on the table top, with routes marked in different highlighter colors.

 

“Tell me about the autopsy reports,” Janai asked Dean as she sat back in her chair.  “This is where your doctors examine the dead for a cause of death, correct?”

 

“Yes, exactly.”  Dean got up and went to the refrigerator to retrieve a bottle of spring water.  She offered her ‘guests’ bottles, which they gladly accepted.  “The results showed that all of the blood in the bodies had hardened completely into fine pellets.  The blood was so hard it couldn’t be dissolved to check for drugs or a reason for it to have become so.”

 

“You’re right in assuming it was someone from our world.  That method is an archaic one and is banned by our government.  It was used by our Enforcers to torture their victims for answers.  Unfortunately for the victims the process is irreversible.  The solidification begins in the smallest vessels first and has a secondary effect of stimulating the pain receptors of the nervous system.  It is very painful and cruel.”

 

“How long has it been banned by your government?  That may be a clue to who is after you.”

 

Janai thought for a bit then answered, “At least one hundred of your earth years, but it is still a known method, though not used.”  She shook her head in anger.  “At least, it has not been used to our government’s knowledge.  The High Council will be very distressed at this information, especially since it happened here.  It will stir up much curiosity and may jeopardize future visits.”

 

“Future visits?  How long have your people been visiting us?” Katie asked.

 

“For many of your centuries.  We have been exploring many planets in space for signs of our ancestors.   My parents were actually lost here while on a research expedition.”

 

“Lost?  You mean they died here?” Katie inquired with great interest.

 

“We really don’t know for sure if they died.  Only that their emergency craft crashed and their bodies were never recovered,” Janai explained with sadness.


“When did this happen?” Dean asked.

 

“Several of your earth years ago.  Near a place called Roswell, New Mexico.  I was hoping to visit there on this trip, but perhaps next time.”  Alana reached over and gave Janai’s hand a squeeze. 

 

Katie and Dean exchanged wide-eyed glances at the Roswell reference.   “That happened in 1947…fifty four years ago.  How old were you at the time?”  Katie asked trying to pinpoint Janai’s age.

 

“I was a child of three...in our years.  There are two of your earth years to one of ours.  That would make me thirty years old in our years…or sixty in earth years.  I believe that is what you were looking for Katie?”

 

Katie blushed at being found out so easily.  “Well,” Katie replied quickly, “I’ll bet you look just as good in your Theiliosian form as you do in Dean’s.”  They all managed a laugh that helped them release some of the tension that had been building.

 

“Janai is very beautiful in her Theiliosian form,” Alana informed Katie as she looked at Janai with obvious love. 

 

“As are you, my Princess,” Janai countered bringing a blush to Alana’s cheeks.  The silence extended as the two visitors looked at each other with a deep intensity. 

 

Dean finally broke the silence by clearing her throat.   “Ahhh, yes, well…we better get back to business,” she suggested awkwardly.  It was very disconcerting for her to watch them.  It was like watching herself as she looked at Katie.  Is this what I look like when I look at Katie? No wonder Dirk and Bill kid us so much!  She looked up at Katie who was looking back at her with obviously much the same thoughts. 

 

Dean picked up the original thread of the conversation, “Is there anyway to tell who’s tracking you?  Any kind of a signature in these power disruptions you sense?”

 

“No, not yet.  If he…or she…were closer I would be able to define them.  But so far, whoever it is has stayed just beyond my abilities to do so, or has used minimal powers to mask their identity.”

 

Katie asked the next question.  “Do you think there is more than one?”

 

“No, just one.  At least at this time.”

 

“Okay,” Dean said with a sigh.  “There’s four of us and one of them.  Sounds like good odds to me.”

 

“I wish you would both reconsider helping us.  Your lives will be in jeopardy if you come with us.”  Alana looked at both of the earth women, hoping they would think again about their offer to help.

 

“No way,” came the unified response.  “Besides,” Dean added, “what’s to say he or she won’t come after us anyway just to be sure?”

 

The doorbell rang at that moment and brought back the reality of danger.  Janai extended her senses and said, “I sense a human presence.”

 

Katie pulled out her pistol anyway when she went to the door.  She checked to see whom the caller was before opening it.  Recognizing the local delivery boy, she returned her pistol to its holster and took out some money to pay for the pizza, then opened the door.  Returning to the kitchen, she placed the boxes on the counter. 

 

“I suggest we eat.  It may be a bit before we all get the chance again.”  Heads nodded in agreement as they got up to select their slices.

 

Within an hour, the pizza had been consumed and a plan had been laid.  Now the four women were taking time to make preparations for the trip to the emergency craft.  If someone was following Janai and Alana, at least now they had a viable plan.

 

Dean outfitted everyone in duplicate clothing.  Dean and Janai wore identical black jeans, Army sweatshirts and BDU jackets.  Alana and Katie were dressed in blue jeans, DEA sweatshirts and DEA field jackets.  Everyone wore hiking boots for the trek up the mountain to the hidden emergency craft.  If it weren’t for the eye color it would have been impossible for anyone to tell them apart.  As a precaution, everyone had a set of sunglasses to shield their eyes.

 

“Wow,” Katie murmured as she caught sight of Dean and Janai standing next to each other.  “If you had your sunglasses on, I’d never be able to tell who’s who.”  Dean’s lips curled into a feisty grin at the comment and Katie added, “well, almost.  I don’t think anyone can duplicate that attitude.”

 

Alana came out of the dressing area at that moment and caught the grin and comment.  “Oh, I wouldn’t be too sure about that, Katie.  Janai has quite the attitude herself.”  In reaction, Janai duplicated Dean’s facial reaction to a ‘T,’ causing both blondes to break out into laughter. 

 

“Whoa…this is just too unreal!” Katie said shaking her head at the mirror images of her lover.

 

Dean and Janai both shrugged in unison, then Dean spoke.  “l will,” then looking at Janai adjusted her statement, “we…will be down in the den packing some essentials.”

 

Katie nodded in understanding.  “Okay, we’ll put together some things from the kitchen.”

 

Each set of twins went their separate ways, gathering essential items for their plan.

* * * * *

 

Katie pulled out two coolers from the pantry and took them to the kitchen table.  She opened the refrigerator and selected a variety of drinks to put in it.  “Better stock up on the caffinated ones…and some water too,” she said looking over her shoulder at her lookalike.  Seeing Alana behind her was very bewildering and she was having a hard time adjusting to the stranger who really wasn’t a stranger.  She shook her head and went back to filling the cooler.

 

“Katie,” Alana began a bit hesitantly, “how long…”

 

“Have Dean and I been lovers?” Katie guessed.

 

“Yes.  The two of you seem to be such a good…”

 

“Fit?” she guessed again.

 

“Yes.  Exactly.  As though you two were born that way.  To be together.”

 

Katie tilted her head and thought about that last comment for a bit.  She knew her relationship with Dean was something very special, but never thought about it in that particular context.  Could it be true?  That we were destined to be together?  That something out there in the cosmos…be it a deity…or a supernatural power of some sort predestined our meeting?  The concept was definitely interesting and one she would further explore with Dean once this little episode was over.  In fact, I have a lot of things to explore with her, like how she so easily accepted these women for who they said they were.

 

Returning her attention to Alana, Katie replied, “I don’t know, Alana.  I never thought about it that way.  We are closer than most couples that have only been together for the short time we have, but it does feel…right.”  She thought a bit then added, “Yes, like we were born to be together.”

 

Changing tact, Katie asked Alana the same question.  “So, how long have you and Janai been lovers?”

 

Alana blushed and looked away.  “We…we’re not lovers.”

 

This brought Katie’s eyebrows up considerably.  “You’re not?  But I could feel…”

 

“Yes, the love is there.  It’s just…complicated.”  Alana reached into the refrigerator and added a carton of chocolate milk explaining that Janai had picked up quite a liking for the beverage during the trip.

 

“Ah…she has a sweet tooth, huh?” Katie said knowingly since Dean also craved chocolate milk.  “In that case, we need to throw in some of these.”  She reached into the cupboard next to the frig and pulled out a box of milk and cereal bars, chocolate bars, and just for good measure some chocolate chip cookies.  She saw Alana spy the granola bars so she threw those in too.  “Those will be for us,” she commented with a twinkle of her eyes.  She added some apples, bananas and oranges to the pile then started filling the second cooler with the snack items.  Adding ice packs to the drink cooler and a roll of paper towels to the snack cooler, she shut them both and looked at Alana for confirmation.  They both nodded their heads, satisfied with their selections then took the coolers to the front door.

 

“So, why is it complicated?” Katie asked, not willing to just end that conversation.

 

“Janai is my ‘protector’ and it is her duty to keep me safe.  She believes that if she were to act on her feelings, then she would be compromising her duty.”

 

“Okay.  So it’s a duty thing and not a ‘you’re the princess thing?’” Katie questioned and got an affirmative nod in response.

 

“Well, I can’t speak for Janai, but Dean and I …well, we feel that way too…that we need to keep each other safe.  And I’ve got to tell you…being lovers has only intensified that ability, not detracted from it.”  She took Alana by the hand and led her to the couch to sit down while she told her about their most recent episode with Natasha. 

 

“Natasha summed it up pretty well one day when she said she had ‘underestimated the power of a cornered predators mate.’  She was referring to my shooting a knife out of her hand when she had Dean in a deadly spot.”  Katie flashed back to that moment in time and relived the scene in slow motion as she described it to Alana.  “I knew if I missed, Dean would have been killed by that knife.  I’m an excellent shot with my right hand, but it was injured and I had to use my left, which I’m not too accurate with even though I had practiced with both hands.   Of course, I told Dean that I was expert with both,” she smiled remembering Dean’s shock at the accuracy of the shot.  “What I did Alana, was will that bullet to its mark.  My need to protect her was controlling my actions and allowed me to do something I normally would not have been able to do.”

 

“I see,” Alana responded, the story eliciting a smile.  “But how do I get her to see that?”

 

“Hmmm.  We’ll need to work on that one…”

* * * * *

 

Dean led Janai to the den and her weapons closet.  She unlocked the door and pulled it open allowing the automatic light to turn on.  “This is my personal arsenal,” she told Janai as she looked over her shoulder.

 

“Yes.  It’s very impressive,” Janai commented causing Dean to stop dead in her tracks.  “I must explain,” she began.  “When Alana and I…”

 

“You checked out who we were and found this?”

 

Janai nodded.  “Yes, and we also learned a great deal about you.  You have quite a distinguished background in the military.  We were very impressed with your training and career.”  She looked over at the computer and waived a hand at it.  “Katie too, although her career hasn’t had the same dark demands as yours.”

 

“Well, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised,” Dean said as she resumed walking into the closet.  She selected a heavy-duty black canvas duffle that zipped open from the top.  “Do you have a preference?” Dean asked as she waived her hand at the weapons.

 

“No.  I will not need anything from here.  I have all I need…in here,” she said pointing toward herself.

 

“Interesting,” Dean said as she selected two H & K Mark 23’s, and a MP5K 9mm submachine gun, several ammo clips, and six boxes of 9mm ammo and put them into the duffle.  “Just what kind of powers do you have?” she asked as she added two Kevlar vests, night vision binoculars, some smoke and stun grenades, two flashlights and four communications units.

 

“Well, I have many different enhancements,” Janai began as she picked up the MP5K.  It weighed just over four pounds and was only thirteen inches in length.  She returned it to the bag with a nod of approval.  “I can project a force field for protection as well as a weapon.  I can sense and identify disturbances in the atmosphere.  I hear sounds at very long distance, and in my Theiliosian form I have the ability to pass through solid objects, can assume myself into other forms…”

 

“Okay, I get the picture,” Dean said shaking her head.  Leading her twin to the exercise room, she opened the secure closet with her high tech items.  She decided she would add a few techno toys to her bag of ‘enhancements’ before she zipped it shut.

 

“One of my best enhancements,” Janai continued, “is the ability to heal…not only myself, but others as well.  As a royal protector, that function is superior to anyone else’s on our world.” 

 

Dean looked at her twin and nodded as another piece of puzzle slipped into place.  “And I’ll bet you did a little healing on one calico fuzz ball.”

 

Janai looked at her, confusion evident on her face until she caught Dean’s drift.  “Ah, the little one.  Yes, she told me of her pain and how sad she was going to be to have to leave her mates and the two of you…and, well…”

 

“You can talk to them?” Dean’s eyebrows were nearly in her hairline.

 

“Of course,” Janai stated simply.  “I’m able to communicate in many different languages.  We are all some form of living being after all and all beings communicate on a variety of levels.”

 

“No one is ever going to believe this story,” Dean mumbled softly, shaking her head as they exited the closet.

 

Janai caught the mumbled remark and smiled inwardly as she waived her hand over the lock to secure the closet once more.

 

“Nice trick,” Dean said with a grin.  “Can you teach me how to do that?”

 

They both laughed and headed up the stairs glad to have a light moment before they finalized their plan for action.

* * * * *

 

 

 

Chapter 13

Friday, 1900 Hours

 

Kerris stirred when the rap came on the window.  “Hey, buddy…are you alright?” the convenience store clerk asked through the closed window.  “I called an ambulance.  They should be here soon,” he explained pointing at Kerris’ bloody shirt and coat.

 

Alarmed at the sound of the distant siren, Kerris turned the key in the ignition and shifted into reverse, nearly hitting the clerk as he tried to get out of the way.  He was still weak from the injury and he misjudged the distance to the car parked behind him, crashing into a Chevy’s left rear fender.  He hit the brakes, changed gears, and floored it out of the parking lot, nearly hitting a pedestrian in the process.  Ignoring the red light, he continued through the intersection and sped toward the highway passing the ambulance as it slowed to enter the convenience store parking lot.

 

The ambulance driver pulled up to the frantic clerk as he waived them down yelling, “You just passed him!  He pulled out of here like a bat out of hell!”  The EMS crew got out as soon as the vehicle came to a stop and went over to the clerk who was still visibly upset after nearly being run over.  “That guy must be nuts!” he shouted at the crew chief.

 

“What happened?” the crew chief asked.  “Why’d he take off?”

 

“Man, I don’t know!  I just went up and rapped on the window to tell him you guys were on the way, and he went ballistic.  He must be hurting though, ‘cause he couldn’t control the car.”  The young man pointed at the banged-up Chevy, “he smashed into that Chevy when he backed up, then nearly clipped a pedestrian when he pulled out of the lot.  He even barreled through the red light!”

 

Trying to calm the clerk, the crew chief place a hand on the young kid’s shoulder.  “Hey, take it easy.  We’ll call it in,” he nodded to one of his crew and told him to get on the radio and call it in to the police.  “He’s probably on the lamb from the cops.   There was a shoot out down by the waterfront earlier.  A cop got shot, but managed to shoot the perp before he got away.”  He looked over his shoulder in the direction they came from.  “C’mon over by the rig and you can give the cops a description of the car.”

* * * * *

 

Kerris wheeled the car onto Washington Street and headed north toward the airport.  He took a left on Oronoco then a right on Henry Street and continued north until he came to Crystal City and pulled into the parking ramp for the Airport Hilton.  He followed the ramp to the top floor where there were few cars parked and pulled into a slot between two oversized vans.  He cut the engine and slumped onto the steering wheel.  “Can’t rest,” he mumbled as he closed his eyes willing control over the pain.  Then he remembered the locator chip he had Serus plant into Janai’s new credit card.  The thought buoyed him as he realized he could track her at any time.  Kerris lifted his head off the steering wheel and checked the time; it was 7:35.  Next, he took a quick inventory of the car’s contents.  There was a sports bag in the back seat that held a set of sweats, running shoes, a hairbrush, toiletries, and a bottle of spring water.  Checking the glove box, he found a travel first aid kit that he opened intending to care for his still bleeding wound.  He was not pleased with the recuperative abilities of humans and decided that he would have to change into his Theiliosian form to heal properly and quickly.  He pulled out the hairbrush from the sports bag and removed one of the auburn hair samples, studying it in the dim light coming from the cars dome light.  “Okay, so I’ll find out what the owner looks like the hard way.” 

 

He got out of the Mercedes and cautiously checked for anyone in the immediate area.  Deciding he was secure for the moment, he went back to the Mercedes and sat in the backseat to begin the transformation.  The human form began to glow and pulse a reddish black except in the area of the wound where it glowed bright reddish white like a hot coal.   The ethereal body slipped out of the human clothes and seemed to float in the back seat before changing over into his true form.  It wasn’t much different from a human males form, except for his eyes that almost seemed to glow, and his muscle definition.  Anyone seeing that naked body would easily have taken him for a competitive body builder.  It took nearly a half hour for the injured area to become half its original size.  Kerris knew he could not afford to take the time to heal completely, so as soon as he was able to tolerate the pain easily he clasped the hair sample in his large hand.  Soon his body began to change shape once more.  When the transformation was complete, Kerris looked into the mirror he removed from the sports bag.   “Well, at least the police won’t be able to find me now,” he said, smiling at the reflection of a thirty-something female.  Checking the rest of his new shape, he was pleased to see that this human had been one to take care of her body.  He reached into the bag and dressed in the sweats and running shoes then placed the FBI agent’s wallet, the tracking device from Serus, and the pistols from the discarded coats pocket into the bag before exiting the car in search of another vehicle and nourishment.

* * * * *

 

Dean checked her watch after they packed the SUV with their gathered items.  “Okay, it’s 1940 hours.  We’d better head out.”

 

They all moved to get into the SUV except Janai.  She was standing stock still with her eyes closed, a look of pain on her face.  Alana looked at her and realized at once that she was sensing another disturbance.  As Dean began to speak to her, Alana motioned for silence, whispering for her to wait.  When Janai opened her eyes she saw two sets of blue and one pair of green eyes looking at her.  She took in a long breath and exhaled slowly before she spoke.

 

“It’s Kerris,” she said simply, directing the comment at Alana.

 

Alana inhaled sharply.  “Are you certain?”

 

“Yes.  He’s in some pain.  He was using his Theiliosian form to heal.”

 

“Is he the one that is tracking us?” Alana asked, concern showing easily on her face and in her voice.  She walked over to where Janai was standing and placed a hand gently on her protector’s arm.

 

“It could be…or he’s here for another reason,” Janai answered slowly as she considered the possibilities.

 

“Why would he be in pain?  Could he have been attacked by someone while in human form?”

 

Dean and Katie looked back and forth at the two aliens then at each other.  Dean broke into the conversation.  “Who’s Kerris?”

 

The question brought the two women out of their two-way conversation as they resumed walking to the SUV.  “Kerris is my twin brother,” Janai began.  “I can identify his Theiliosian power signature easily since we are twins.”

 

“Why haven’t you recognized him earlier?” Katie asked as she shut the rear door of the SUV.

 

“As an enforcer, Kerris can disguise his signature very well.  But, he was using his powers to heal.  That drops the cloak of disguise and makes his power signature readable,” Janai explained as she and Alana got into the back seat of the SUV.

 

Dean and Katie got into the front seat and strapped on their seatbelts.  “To heal?  You mean he was injured?” Dean asked.

 

“Yes, it’s very possible in human form.  You see when we accept your form, we become more vulnerable.  We can be…hurt, or killed…easier in your form.  We still have our offensive powers, but our defenses are weakened.”

 

Katie looked over her shoulder into the back seat.  “But, he’s your brother…so, that’s good, right?”

 

The two women in the back seat looked at each other, weighing the odds.  “That depends,” Janai began.  “He is one of Varian’s top enforcers.”

 

Dean cut in, “And, Varian is the guy you think is behind the rebels, right?” Two heads nodded in the back seat.  “So, could be one of the bad guys.”  More nods.  “Or, he could be trying to warn you.”  Dean considered, as she started the engine and put the SUV into gear.  “What’s your gut telling you Janai?”

 

“I fear, as you put it, my ‘gut’ is telling me he is one of the bad guys.  He has been under Varian’s influence for too long.  It has been a while since I last saw him, but my instincts tell me he’s taken the dark path.  He was always weak in that respect.  Always getting in trouble, always bullying, always seeking Varian’s praise anyway he could.”

 

Dean sighed.  “I’m sorry to hear that, Janai.  This may complicate our plan.”  She thought in silence for a bit as she drove down the lane, thinking of contingencies they would need to make to their plan.  “How do his powers rate next to yours?”

 

Janai shrugged.  “We are fairly equal, and as siblings go, we fought often.”

 

Alana cut in, “but you always won, Janai.  You could always out-think him.”

 

“Enforcers are very powerful…but, you’re right, he doesn’t plan well, or anticipate well.”

 

“Okay,” Dean breathed easier, “then we shouldn’t have a problem if we run into him.”  The two women in the back looked at each other and hoped this human was right for all their sakes.  Dean headed out of Occoquan on State Road 123, heading north towards Dulles Airport.  The route they planned took them across the back roads to their target destination: Glencoe, Pennsylvania.  Hidden in the hills outside of Glencoe was the emergency starcraft.  With any luck, they would be able to reach the craft in a little over six hours time.

* * * * *

 

Kerris found the vehicle he was looking for on the next level down.  It was a dark green Ford Ranger that had customized tinted widows that would afford him some cover.  Checking his surroundings he noticed a couple entering the elevator to his left.  As soon as the doors closed, he waved his hand over the door lock and opened the passenger door.  He tossed the gym bag on the passenger seat and slid in behind the steering wheel.  Another pass over the ignition and the truck was running.  He checked the mirrors and cautiously pulled out of the slot and headed back toward Interstate 395.  On the way, he pulled into a fast food restaurant and bought enough food to replenish his depleted reserves. 

 

When he came to the interchange for I 395, Kerris pulled to the shoulder of the road and put the truck in park.  Reaching into the gym bag beside him, Kerris removed the tracking device.  He turned it on and waited for it to blink to life.  What he saw on the small screen surprised him.  “Well, well, little sister, I guess I should have anticipated this.”  He looked at the monitor and watched as the blip crept steadily northward.  “Looks like Serus was deceived after all.  Heading for the emergency starcraft are you?  Well, I can’t let that happen now, can I?  Not without a little family reunion first.”  He laughed as he plotted an intercept course then put the truck into drive, slipping back into traffic.  He looked at the clock on the dash; it was 10:45 PM.  If he stayed on the interstates, he could catch up to them before they got there.  He looked in the rearview mirror and winked at his reflection.  “Or maybe I’ll just tag along and have some fun on the way.”

* * * * *

 

They had been driving for nearly two hours and Dean decided it was safe to make a rest stop.  The back roads were isolated at this time and there were no vehicle lights following them.  As they entered the small town of Gapland, just across the Maryland border, Dean saw an all night diner on the right.

 

“How about a quick stop here?” she asked as she slowed the SUV.

 

“Great!” Katie replied quickly.  “I think I drank too much water earlier.”

 

Their twins in the back seat agreed and Dean swung into a parking spot right in front of the door.  There were only a couple of other cars outside the diner.  Dean looked inside the diner’s windows and decided that the cars must belong to the cook and the one waitress she saw inside sitting at the counter.  “Okay, but let’s make it quick.”

 

They exited the SUV and headed to the door.  Janai held it open for them and then followed Dean inside.  The waitress was sitting on a stool and the counter and swiveled it around to watch them enter when she heard the door jingle open.

 

Surprised to see two sets of twins enter, she jumped off the stool and smiled.  “Hi folks!  What can I get you?”

 

Alana and Katie spied the restroom sign and pointed at it, receiving a knowing nod from the waitress who turned her attention to the other set of twins.  “Anything for you two?”  The taller set of twins moved over to the counter and took a seat.  Dean nodded to the waitress and handed her the thermos she packed at the last minute and asked her to fill it with hot chocolate.  “Sure thing, be right back,” the waitress took the proffered item then turned and went through the swinging doors to the kitchen.

 

“Well,” Dean began, “so far, so good.”  She looked over at Janai who was eyeing the chocolate donuts with cream filling in the round display that was sitting on the counter between them.  Dean had to chuckle at the sight, thinking Janai was more like her than she probably realized.  She looked up as the waitress came back through the doors.

 

“It’ll be just a minute.  That’s a pretty big thermos.”  She paused, recognizing the look on the women’s faces.  “Would you like to try a couple of those?  They’re really fresh.  Joe just finished frosting them.”

 

“Yeah, might as well,” Dean nodded in Janai’s direction.

 

“Wouldn’t want you to eat alone,” Janai commented with a snicker.  “Guess we better get a couple for Alana and Katie too.”

 

Just then, the two mentioned blondes came out of the restroom and eyed their partners as they bit into the chocolate treats.  “Make it quick, huh?” Katie said with a smirk as she and Alana grabbed seats on each side of them.

 

“Mmm,” Dean replied after swallowing, “just putting the time to good use.”

 

Katie just shook her head and reached for her donut, taking a huge bite out of it and rolling her eyes with pleasure.  She looked over at the waitress and mumbled, “milk?”

 

As they ate their donuts and drank their milk, they watched the late news show on the television mounted from the ceiling.  They all paused in mid-chew when a field reporter came on the screen, a burned-out pawn shop in the background.

 

“Excuse me,” Janai called, motioning to the waitress.  “Could you turn that up please?”  The waitress did as requested and they all listened to the report. 

 

“…site of a possible arson fire.  The firemen are now checking the smoldering ruins for clues.  Just before the fire was detected, an Alexandria police officer was involved in a shoot-out with a man carrying stolen FBI identification on the street in front of this building.   Witnesses said the man had been wounded in the exchange, but was able to speed away in a late model car.  The officer, who was also shot in the gun battle, is listed in serious condition.  More on this story and others when we come back.”

 

“Janai, that’s the…” Alana whispered before being cut off by a subtle warning from Janai.

 

“I think we should be leaving,” Janai informed the group quietly.  “We still have a ways to go.”

 

Three minutes later, the foursome was exiting the diner with a half dozen more donuts in a bag, and the thermos of hot chocolate.   When they were safely on the road, Janai filled in Dean and Katie about the pawn shop.

 

Katie was amazed at the system of aliens living among them and no one had a clue.  “So, your people are…everywhere…on our planet?”  Her voice was conveying the incredulity of the situation.

 

“Yes.  We’ve been here for a long time, living among your people.  We are very much like you, except for our enhanced abilities.  We eat and sleep, have hopes and desires, just like you do.  That’s why my parents were here searching for signs of our ancestors.”  Janai paused as she looked out the vehicle window at the clear night sky.  “Out of the many planets that have life forms, yours is the closest to ours.”

 

“Then, why haven’t your people made formal contact with us?” Katie asked as she turned to face the two women in the back seat.

 

Her answer came from Dean.  “Because our people are not ready to accept the possibility that aliens do exist.  Hell, we can’t get along with each other!  Can you imagine the chaos that would result if we were contacted officially?”  She shook her head and shivered.  “Nope!  We’re not ready for that.  And believe me,” she looked into her rear view mirror at her backseat passengers, “once we get y’all safely on your way…I’ll never mention it!  I’ve seen what happens to folks who report UFO’s.”

 

Katie shifted back in her seat to peer out into the night sky silently digesting Dean’s comments and secretly wondering what space travel would be like.

 

“Dean,” Janai spoke quietly, “I think we need to consider that Kerris will find us.  It’s not just a coincidence that the pawn shop was destroyed shortly after we were there.  He’s covering something and I have an uneasy feeling about that whole situation.  Serus knew too much about our trip.  Only Alana’s father, the High Council, and Varian knew the details of our itinerary.  He must have had contact with Kerris before we arrived.”

 

“Well, we’ll find out in about another two hours or so when we arrive at the emergency site.  Why don’t y’all just try to get some rest.  I’ll wake you if I need you.”  Dean looked at the time, calculating the distance they had left to travel then increased her speed to hopefully give them an edge of safety, just in case Janai was right.

* * * * *

Continued - Part 5


Return to The Bard's Corner