"Get her!" Ephiny yelled, but Gabrielle threw herself between the warlord and the Amazons, her arms stretched out. "Wait!" she cried. "Leave her alone!"

"Out of the way!" Ephiny order, motioning two guards into a flanking position.

Xena chuckled, and turning around Gabrielle watched her slid back down the wall. "Please. Save yourselves from the bumps and bruises. I told you if I wanted to escape, I would’ve done so by now. You seemed to need a demonstration."

"Meaning?" Ephiny asked quietly, her eyes still wary and ready to expect anything.

"Meaning," Gabrielle said, stepping closer to her friend. "That you can trust her to get the wood, and come back. She has no intention of escaping, although I wish ..." she cut herself off, and turned away from Ephiny’s hard stare.

"Sorry, Gabrielle ... I can’t buy that. Xena’s known for playing games. I won’t fall for it."

"Then take my word on it. I’ve never lied to you," Gabrielle said, dipping her head slightly.

"And what would I do to you if she escaped? Get real ... It’s not like ..."

"Take me in her place," Gabrielle said, pulling herself taller. "If Xena escapes, then I’ll take her place at trial, and accept whatever sentence the council passes."

Ephiny’s hazel eyes lost focus for a minute, but she shook her head, and let her eyes dart between Gabrielle and Xena. "I can’t do that, Gab. Don’t ask me."

"I’ll come back, Princess. I promise," Xena said. "I’ve hurt her enough already. I wouldn’t make her take my place at the trial or execution. I mean that," she offered sincerely.

Ephiny swallowed hard, and turned to look at the rest of the group. A few of the Amazons took small steps backwards, afraid of being asked for opinions, and finally Ephiny’s eyes settled on Gabrielle. The younger woman held her hands out and nodded.

"She’s not going alone," Ephiny finally conceded, and then pointed at Gabrielle. "And no, you’re not going with her." She looked around the room, and picked out one of the taller Amazons. "Telani is in charge until I get back, understood?" She pointed at Xena. "How long is this trek going to take?" she demanded.

"Not that long. Maybe an hour."

"Fine. Telani, give us a half hour past that, and then hunt Xena down if we’re not back."

"Let me come with you?" Telani pleaded. "You shouldn’t go alone."

"Gods, the whole lot of you!" Gabrielle said, squatting back down by the fire. "She promised to come back. What more do you want from her?"

"A lot more than she’ll ever be able to give, Gabrielle," Ephiny said, looking at Xena. "C’mon, let’s get this over with."

Xena climbed to her feet, and removed the sweater. She folded it carefully, and handed it to Gabrielle. "Thank you," she said quietly. "I don’t expect kindness from you, but thanks." She turned her darkening eyes to the Amazon. "Let’s go."

--- VIII ---

Ephiny refused to admit the driving rain bothered her. She’d be damned if she was going to show any weakness to the Conqueror, and she mutely trudged behind the warlord as they picked their way around the mountain. The Amazon watched in amazement as Xena nimbly vaulted over a fallen tree, but her awe quickly turned sour when Xena casually leaned against a tree and dared her to follow suit. Ephiny wouldn’t give her the pleasure of seeing her fail, so she ducked under the tree instead.

"How much farther?" she demanded.

Xena stared at the sky for a long second and then let her gaze wander across the landmarks. "You getting tired?" she asked, with a half smile, dropping it into her customary blank face before shrugging. "Not much farther, if you can keep up."

Ephiny pushed at Xena’s shoulder to send her forward, but quickly withdrew her hand when the warlord gave her a murderous glare. "Get moving," she ordered Xena, determined to maintain some semblance of control.

They moved towards a large outcropping of rocks where the trees became scarce, and Ephiny knew something was up. When Xena lead her into a deep crack in the mountain the hairs on the back of her neck tingled, and as the walls grew taller and the path narrower, the Amazon had the distinct feeling she might not be leaving the crevice alive. She touched the hilt of her dagger in reassurance.

The small chasm ended at a large rotund boulder, and Ephiny was about to yell some sharp remark when Xena pointed to one side of the rock. She stared at it, her hands on her hips, and Xena pointed again.

"Get over there," the warlord ordered.

Ephiny gave the Conqueror a hard stare, but Xena just pointed again. Avoiding a stand-off, she skirted around the edge of a large mud puddle, and wedged herself in-between the canyon wall and the boulder. The rock was slick, and the rough grain burned against her cold hands as she searched for a good hold. Her eyes watched as Xena stood in the mud and rammed her shoulder against the rock.

"What now?" she yelled at her.

"Push. Hard!"

Ephiny tensed all her muscles, and shoved against the rock with all her strength. In a split second the rock flew from under her hand, and she tumbled head first into the mud puddle. She heard Xena’s short but mocking laughter over her, and lifting her mud covered face she glared at the warlord.

"What happened?" she demanded, climbing to her feet.

"Um, forgot I must have done a counter-weight on that one. Made the rock move easier."

"Sure. You forgot," Ephiny said, trying to scrape the mud from her face and hair. "Funny, I don’t see you covered in mud."

"Trust me, it’s done wonders for your appearance."

The Amazon just stared back, and the small smile disappeared from the warlord’s face. Xena turned and pointed, and Ephiny found herself staring at a large entrance into the side of the mountain. The interior was shielded in darkness, and the Amazon felt her stomach twist in warning. "Get inside," she ordered Xena.

"Stay behind me, okay?" she replied, entering the cave. "I often set traps, and I’d hate for you to get hurt."

Ephiny heard the sarcasm, but she let it go. Xena stooped, picking up a flint stone, and began striking it near a prepared torch by the entrance. When the torch sprang to life the Amazon’s eyes widened in disbelief.

"Sweet Artemis!"

"Yeah, don’t make a big deal about it," Xena said, walking close to the wall, stopping to untie several thin ropes. "Crossbows," she commented, moving deeper into the cave. "I also think I have a ... yeah, there it is. Duck."

Ephiny looked up just in time to see a wall of spears swinging at her. She hit the dirt, and held her arms over her head. She heard Xena chuckle again, and she quickly jumped to her feet. Those pale blue eyes were laughing at her, she could tell, but right now she wasn’t going to do anything. There would be time to extract her own revenge on the Conqueror.

Turning, the Amazon let her eyes run over the plethora of priceless jewels, coins and treasure that lined the walls of the vault. Stacks of weapons were piled in neat rows, and near the back of the cave bolts of fine silk and linen were stacked almost to the ceiling. The torch light danced over polished gold in a variety of shapes, and Ephiny couldn’t imagine owning half of what was stored in this secret trove. "This all yours?" she asked, her voice incredulous.

Xena shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

"How did one person amass so much?" she asked in disbelief, her arms sweeping around the cavern.

"Listen to me, Princess," Xena said, stepping closer. "We both know how I got it, and we both know I have more than one of these secret caves. I’m not proud of what I’ve done, and if I could change it, I would. But let’s not play games with each other."

"Proud or not, you did it, Conqueror. It can’t be changed, but know that you will pay for all that you did." Ephiny pulled herself taller. "With your life," she added in a low, challenging tone.

"If it brings her peace, then I will pay that price," Xena whispered, turning and trailing her fingers through a narrow box of pearls.

"I want you to stay away from her."

"Gabrielle is in no danger. I would never hurt her."

"Again," Ephiny sniped. "You mean hurt her again, don’t you?"

Xena took a menacing step towards the Amazon so that she towered over her, and Ephiny fought to maintain her position. "I mean ... hurt her at all," Xena whispered in a low, deadly tone.

"Get this straight, Conqueror ... Gabrielle is one of my best friends," Ephiny said, pulling herself taller. "And if I have to plunge a knife into you to save her from you ... or herself ... then I’ll do it."

The blue eyes contracted and narrowed, and Ephiny felt the hairs on the back of her neck tingle. "Why don’t you admit it, Princess? You’d like to stick that knife in me anyway. Protecting Gabrielle isn’t your primary reason, is it?"

Ephiny lowered her eyes. "Let’s get the wood and head back."

Shaking her head, Xena walked over to an almost hidden alcove, and pulled out a thick bag. Ephiny noticed a large pile of dry wood near the warlord, and after Xena dropped and started shoving pieces into the bag, the Amazon walked over to help. As she crouched down, Xena handed her another bag, and then pointed farther down the wall.

"Over there should be some blankets and other stuff. Get what we need," Xena said, keeping her eyes on the wood.

Standing, Ephiny went over to find the other supplies, and was soon stuffing blankets, and candles into the bag. Her hand closed around a long coil of rope, and with a quick glance at the warlord’s back she forced the rope into her bag. "Ready?" she asked, moving towards the cave entrance.

"Sure," Xena said, and Ephiny waited while the warlord secured the cave. The Amazon wondered at the action because she knew the Conqueror would never be returning, but she shrugged it off when Xena pointed her out of the cave.

To her relief the rain had lessened, so making their way back wouldn’t be that difficult. She looked behind as Xena rolled the large boulder back into place, and shook her head. Ephiny didn’t enjoy the fact that her life that night would be owed to Xena and her stupid hidden cave, but of course, she reasoned that if it hadn’t been for the Conqueror’s surrender then she wouldn’t have been stuck on this forsaken mountain anyway.

"You know," Xena said, hefting her sack onto her back. "Everyone whose seen this place has died. Imagine that."

Ephiny watched the warlord start off with an open mouth. Was that a threat, or ... Her mind struggled to find the meaning in Xena’s statement. Looking up, she saw that the warlord had a good head start on her, and lifting her own sack she started after.

Xena had stopped by a large tree to let Ephiny catch up, but the Amazon refused to acknowledge the gesture. As they stood there the warlord turned her head and squinted at her.

"What?" Ephiny demanded.

Xena shook her head. "Nothing. Just trying to figure out how awful that mud must feel." She shrugged. "It’s going to be a lot worse when it dries, though."

"So what?"

"Hey, no skin off my back. Just an observation."

"And you have an idea how I can clean it off?" Ephiny sniped.

"I heard you Amazons like to dance naked in the rain," Xena said with a smile. "You could give that a try."

"Cute, but we only dance naked on festival days."

"There’s a hot spring near her. You could wash there," the warlord said, dropping her sack to the ground. "I could take the stuff back, and you could make yourself look less ... um ... Amazon."

Ephiny squeezed a fist, and just stopped herself from grinding her teeth. She didn’t like this banter with Xena, and refused to see her as anything but a murdering monster. Seeing her with a sense of humor was causing her to question herself, so she sneered at Xena and started off. "Don’t think so," she called over her shoulder. "Let’s just head back."

"Suit yourself."

They walked on in silence, but Ephiny couldn’t deny that the mud was starting to get to her. She could feel it running down her hair, and sliding her finger under her halter produced a big wet clump. As much as she hated to admit it, Xena was right. She did need to get this dirt off. Things were already tense enough without adding to the mood.

"Where’d you say that spring was?" She turned and waited, Xena’s intense gaze studying her. The Amazon was almost ready to shake her head and move on when the warlord pointed.

"See that outcropping of rocks, there?" Xena said, and Ephiny squinted in t he rain. She nodded. "Head for that, and skirt around the side. There is a small path that leads into the spring. You can’t miss it."

"You’re going back, right?"

Xena shook her head, and lifting the two bags started off in the opposite direction.

Ephiny stood there engaged in a battle whether to follow and make sure her prisoner returned to the cave or to trust her. With a sinking feeling she realized that Xena was her prisoner only because she chose to be a prisoner. There was nothing she could do to prevent the Conqueror from leaving if she wanted, and Ephiny knew that it was Gabrielle that kept the warlord under control for the time being. So, with a shrug she turned and headed for the hot spring. A nice long soak was exactly what her frazzled nerves needed.

--- IX ---

Gabrielle and the rest of the group took turns warming themselves by the small fire. Moving even a few feet from the flames meant the cold dampness of the cave settled in your bones, and Gabrielle was anxious for Ephiny and Xena to return. She hadn’t expected them to be gone this long, and looking outside she could see that darkness was about to fall.

After they’d left, Gabrielle had pulled the jacket Xena had worn around her shoulders. She noticed that if she concentrated she could just pick up Xena’s scent on the damp wool, and having it pulled tightly around her was both a comfort and a disturbance. There was no way she could get a handle on what was happening to her. Nothing seemed right anymore.

The rest of the Amazons kept a distance from her, and she could only believe it was because she’d defended Xena to Ephiny. She wanted to explain to them why she’d done it, but it really didn’t matter. On the surface she tried to tell herself that her defense of Xena was only to protect the Amazons, but she knew deep inside it was a lie.

She’d defended Xena without a thought. She’d defended her because it was all she could do. Strange feelings were spinning in her stomach, and her breath fluttered in her chest with each nervous intake of air. She couldn’t explain why she felt so good when Xena looked at her. Nor could she explain why she’d have willingly taken the warlords place at trial. All she could do was sit in the cave and wait, hoping she’d soon know why. So, she sat with her eyes focused on the dwindling flames, and oblivious to the hostile stares from her fellow Amazons.

A noise outside drew everyone’s attention, and several of the Amazons pulled their swords to stand ready. A wet and bedraggled form entered the cave carrying two sacks, and Gabrielle’s eyes met Xena’s as she dropped the bags.

"There’s wood and blankets in there. Hopefully both are still somewhat dry," Xena said, wringing out her hair and giving it a shake.

"Where’s the Princess?" the tall Amazon, Telani demanded, her sword leveled at Xena’s chest.

The Conqueror shrugged. "She’ll be back."

"I don’t believe you! What have you done with her?"

Xena chuckled. "I killed her. Yeah, that’s what I did. Just couldn’t wait to snap her pretty little neck once we got away from here. Been awhile since I’ve done that, but it came right back to me."

Gabrielle opened her mouth to speak, but before she could utter a word Telani gave the battle cry, and two Amazons charged the warlord. Xena stood stock still until the last moment, and then in a quick movement she spun sideways, her arm slamming into the face of one Amazon, and her foot snaking out to trip the other. Both remained down for a second, but not before the last two Amazons began to attack. Xena laughed, and jumping up kicked them squarely in the chest. They went down with a thud, and the warlord turned to prepare for another attack.

"Stop!" Gabrielle yelled, rushing over and throwing herself between the Conqueror and her companions. "Xena, sit down!" she ordered, and to her amazement, and the rest of the group’s stupefaction, Xena sat next to the fire and looked up at her. Gabrielle turned to face the other Amazons. "Nothing else until I find out what’s happened."

"Not a chance, Gabrielle," Telani said. "I’m in charge here. I say we tie her up again."

Gabrielle heard Xena chuckle, and she shook her head. "Telani, let me talk to her. Back off until then, alright?" Telani shook her head, her two tight braids swinging, but Gabrielle didn’t back down. "I think we just saw that none of us have a snowballs chance in Tartarus of tying her up, so I think this is the best approach."

"Fine," Telani conceded. "But I’m watching her," she called over Gabrielle shoulder to the complacent Xena.

Gabrielle stood until Telani motioned the other Amazons to the back of the cave before she turned and sat down next to the warlord.

"I didn’t kill her," Xena said, giving her a crooked smile. "She’s down at the hot spring scrubbing mud off."

"Then why? ..." she asked the warlord who sat fiddling with her fingers like a small girl.

"Because you all expected it."

"I didn’t," Gabrielle whispered, and she felt herself blush when those two ice blue eyes raised and she felt herself captured in their intensity. ‘Why?’ the look said, and Gabrielle shrugged. "You promised you’d come back, and I knew you would."

"Then you believed in me?"

"Yes. I did. I mean, I do."

Xena shook her head, water droplets from her hair splattering across Gabrielle’s leg. "You can’t do that, Gabrielle. Don’t start thinking I’m something I’m not. Just because I made you a promise doesn’t mean that ..." her voice trailed off, and a silence settled between them.

"You’ve changed." It was a statement, and Gabrielle waited patiently to see Xena’s eyes raise slowly.

"Have I?" she asked in a weak voice, and then it was almost as if a wall came crashing down over Xena’s soul, and her voice became harder. "You don’t know anything about me. I haven’t changed, only lost faith."

"You’re just plain lost," Gabrielle said, angry at being distanced from something she sensed she needed. "You’re searching, but you don’t know for what."

"I know," Xena said, her hand clenching. "I know what I need."

"So do I," she replied, the answer so clear to her.

"Do you?" The voice held undisguised hope, and a touch of fear.

Gabrielle swallowed hard and nodded. "You need another chance."

The Conqueror brought her hands up and ran them across her face. "Yeah, sure. That’s it."

"It is, Xena," Gabrielle said, reaching out and laying a hand on the warlord’s leg. "There’s nothing you’ve done that you can’t undo. My mom used to say that if you act good then you are good. It’s only the actions of today that count."

Xena’s hand settled over hers. "And can I undo what I did to you? Can I bring your family back, or give you back your innocence?"

She looked at her leg for a long second before raising her eyes. "No, but the question is what can you do from today?"

The hand disappeared, and the warlord shivered, pulling her arms tight around her body. Gabrielle stood and opened the two bags. She pulled out the blankets and tossed most of them towards the glowering Amazons, but she kept the driest in her hand. Without a word she opened this blanket, and kneeling down behind Xena wrapped the rough wool around her. Her body leaned into the warlord’s back, and her arms tightened for a brief second. When she realized what she’d done, Gabrielle pulled back and quickly stood up.

"There," she said, nervously grabbing for a piece of wood. "Let’s get the fire built up, and we’ll all feel better."

She could feel Xena’s eyes on her as she stoked the fire, dropping the new wood on the dwindling flames, but she remained quiet. There were so many things going on in her head that she felt consumed by her thoughts and feelings.

"Can I ask you a question?" Xena’s voice trembled slightly.

Gabrielle stood and debated about where to sit. It would have been right to sit across the fire, but she couldn’t exactly make her body move to that spot. So she sat next to the warlord, their knees almost brushing. Raising her head slowly, she felt her heart flip when she saw how tense Xena’s face looked, and she barely stopped herself from reaching out to caress the worry away.

"Sure," she muttered, switching her concentration to the flames.

"Why didn’t you kill me?" Xena asked quietly. "You had the knife both times, and I could see the pain in your eyes ... Pain that I put there. You had every right to kill me. Why?"

The younger woman looked at her lap. "I dunno," she muttered. "I don’t think I can kill."

Xena shook her head. "Everyone can kill if driven to it. But that’s not the reason, is it, Gabrielle?"

"I don’t know. I did have the knife ... and the intent ... but, I just don’t know."

"You do know. Tell me why you didn’t kill me."

"Because I fel ... I just didn’t." Gabrielle twisted her hands nervously, and she jumped when Xena reached over and placed her own hand over hers.

"Gabrielle, if you never speak to me again ... I have to know." Xena took a breath. "Why didn’t you take your revenge? Why didn’t you avenge the family that I murdered? Why didn’t you take my life?"

Her head snapped up, and she could feel the fire in her face. "How can I answer that? I have no idea why I feel the way I do when I’m near you. Why I can’t seem to do anything that would hurt you! I can’t explain even to myself how I know that hurting you would only hurt me."

"You felt it too, didn’t you? That day I first saw you ... you knew."

"Knew what? That we’re meant to be together? That you’re my other half? What?"

"Did you?"

"I don’t know."

"Did you?" Xena asked again.

"I’m not sure. I ..."

"Did you, Gabrielle? Tell me!"

"Yes!" Gabrielle cried. "Yes, I felt it."

Xena’s face froze in total surprise, and Gabrielle watched as she blinked slowly and tried to refocus her eyes. Her mouth opened, but no words came out.

"I felt it," Gabrielle continued, the memories rushing at her. "I felt it like I’ve never felt anything before. It hit me like a bolt of lightening and it spread to every inch of my body. At that second it was all I could feel, or ever wanted to feel. When I saw you, I knew. I knew that there would never be anyone who would ever make me feel the way I did when I looked at you." She looked at the fire. "Is that what you wanted to know."

"But ..."

The younger woman shook her head sadly. "Yes, but," she said with a wry chuckle. "But you had to do what you did. It wouldn’t have been enough to just come up and talk to me. To ask me." She raised a hand, and let it fall on her leg. "So, our destinies turned on a but."

"What would you have said?"

"I would’ve said no."

"Even though you felt ..."

Gabrielle shrugged. "I didn’t know what it meant ..."

"I was just going to take you. Try and make you see me differently."

"Why didn’t you?"

"How could I have? In the end I knew I would’ve hurt you more by taking you. I am the darkness, Gabrielle. You are the day."

"Then come into the light, Xena. You have the power to choose."

"No, I don’t," Xena said matter-of-factly, and then looked up slowly, her blue eyes clouded and uncertain. "Would I be with you ... or alone?" she asked hesitantly.

Gabrielle opened her mouth to speak when Telani suddenly towered over them. "I hate to break this up, Gabrielle, but Ephiny should have been back by now." The woman looked between them. "Unless you no longer care about your fellow sister."

Gabrielle could sense Xena tensing, and she placed a quick touch on her knee before climbing to her feet. "She’s at the hot spring, Telani. She’s probably just soaking." She looked down at Xena. "Tell me where the spring is, and I’ll go find her."

"It’s down the mountain a bit," she said climbing to her feet. "But, I’ll show you."

"Like Hades you will," Telani cried.

"Telani ..." Gabrielle said.

"No way, Gabrielle. I’ll go with you, or anyone else here ... but she’s not going. End of story."

Before she could speak again, Xena’s form moved between her and Telani, and she watched the warlord’s hand settle on the Amazon’s shoulder. A flicker of pain entered Telani’s eyes, and Gabrielle started to reach out to restrain Xena.

"How about you just go sit down, Telani, is it? Don’t make this any more difficult than it needs to be. You know you can’t keep me here, so this is the time for a command decision. Know when to give up the field." As soon as she stopped speaking, Xena’s hand disappeared, and slowly Telani’s eyes began to refocus. "C’mon," Xena said, walking towards the entrance of the cave, and with a short look back, Gabrielle followed.

At the mouth of the cave she turned, feeling Telani’s presence at her back. "Be careful, Gabrielle. With whatever you’re doing, be careful." The woman cast a look at Xena’s dark form.

"She won’t hurt me," Gabrielle replied.

"That’s not what I meant. I meant, be careful. There’s more than just physical danger possible from that one."

--- X ---

Gabrielle joined Xena outside, the cold mountain air hitting her hard, and she couldn’t control a shiver that ran over her body. The rain had let up, but the dampness hung heavily in the air, and she could see from the already rising mist that tomorrow morning promised a thick fog. Xena saw her shiver, and she put a warm hand on her shoulder.

"You can stay here. I’ll go find her."

The younger woman smiled, wanting to lean into the touch but terrified of what might happen. "Thanks, but I’m not afraid of a little cold weather. Shall we?"

"Sure," Xena replied. "But do me a favor and stay behind me. I got a funny feeling."

Gabrielle envied the way Xena skirted down the mountain in an almost effortless glide. For her, the going was much tougher, and she constantly grabbed for trees to keep herself from falling on the slick mountain. Each time she stumbled she’d look up to find the blue eyes carefully watching her, and arms only an inch away from grabbing her. Gabrielle wondered what would happen if she let herself fall into those strong arms.

"Ooww," she cried, her thoughts distracting her, and causing her to trip over an exposed root. In a second she found herself supported by Xena. "You okay?" the warlord asked, and Gabrielle could only mutely nod. "It was ... just, a you know ..."

She gave up trying to fight anymore, and before she’d known she’d done it, her arms were tight around the warlord, and she felt Xena’s arms close around her. For a long timeless second they didn’t need to think how far apart their worlds were, or how they fit into them. At that moment they were exactly where they needed to be, and that was all that mattered.

"Gabrielle ..." Xena’s voice sounded so different reverberating against her chest, and Gabrielle’s ear. "Come with me, Gabrielle."

She pulled back and looked up into Xena’s face. "What are you saying?"

"Let’s just go. Only the two of us. A fresh start ... second chance ... all of that. What I need is you."

"But ..."

Strong fingers pushed through her hair. "No buts this time. Either you want to or you don’t."

"What would we do ... where would we go?"

Xena smiled. "Quit being so practical. Believe, and everything will take care of itself."

Gabrielle looked off into the darkness, the forest spinning around her, and her heart beating so loudly it was all she could hear. She wondered how her heart could want something so much, but her head still be trying to desperately talk her out of it.

She looked up at Xena’s stoic face, noticing that her blue eyes pleaded with an intensity that made words useless. Gabrielle knew that under that mask was another Xena ... alone, afraid and crying out. As her heart flipped in her chest, she knew she’d never be able to deny that Xena anything. That was the Xena that she knew ... that was the Xena that made her feel.

Raising a shaking hand she hesitantly touched the warlord’s cheek. The skin was warm against her cold skin, and she drew her breath in sharply when Xena’s hand closed over hers and pressed it harder against her face.

"Come with me," she repeated, and with no strength to find voice, Gabrielle could only nod.

The dark night disappeared as Gabrielle stared at the person to whom she’d just given her soul. There was no fear ... no anger ... no regrets ... only peace. Xena smiled, and Gabrielle returned the gesture. Before she could react, Xena’s head dipped and Gabrielle felt lips brush against her own. The touch was so shy, so gentle that Gabrielle hadn’t realized anything could be so light, yet filled with such promise. She leaned into the touch, her body craving the contact and her soul desperate for the absolution.

Xena pulled her tighter, and Gabrielle realized it was true. This was the other part of her soul. She’d known it the first second Xena had touched her in the village, and over the past year it hadn’t been her family she’d been mourning for ... it was this. Once they touched, their souls knew each other, and pulling them apart again had been like suffering death. Gabrielle reached up, and entangled her hand in Xena’s hair, pulling her closer, wanting to never be separated again.

"Holy mother Hera!" a voice cried from behind them. "What in the name of Zeus is going on?"

Gabrielle pulled back quickly, and turned to face Ephiny. The Amazon was climbing the hill, her breath visible in the cold air, and steam rising from her still damp hair.

"Get the mud off?" Xena asked, her tone just slightly biting.

Ephiny pointed at her. "You need to step away." When Xena didn’t move, Ephiny pointed again. "I mean it, Conqueror. Step away now! Or I swear by whatever god you name ..."

"Ephiny ... wait."

"Gabrielle, shut up." She spun to face her. "Gods, of all the stupid ... thoughtless ... unbelievable ... I thought you were smarter than that, Gab!"

"You don’t understand."

"Oh, that’s rich! I don’t understand. I come up the hill to find you crushed in an embrace with a woman you’d sworn to kill ... and I don’t understand. Get a grip!"

"I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life, Ephiny. Never."

Ephiny threw her hands up. "Yeah, and you were never more sure that you wanted to kill her. Never more sure that killing her would bring you peace and avenge your family. Never more sure that you were meant to be an Amazon ... Should I go on?"

"Can you?" Xena drawled.

Ephiny ignored the comment and stepped closer to Gabrielle. "The point is, Gabrielle, that you can’t really be sure ... can you? You’re never really sure of anything."

"I’m sure about this! I can pretend ... I can deny ... but I can’t forget. I know her, Ephiny. I know her, and I belong with her."

"Oh, Gabrielle ... don’t do this! You have so much. You could be so much. Don’t throw it away on the likes of her."

"I can’t be anything without her," Gabrielle firmly replied.

Ephiny turned around, rubbing her hands over her face in frustration, and her shoulders slumped in defeat. In a quick jerk she turned on Xena. "Walk away, Xena. Gabrielle is confused, but you’re not. Don’t do this to her. You of all people know what it will mean if she leaves with you."

Xena stared back, not speaking, but her hands held tight at her side.

"Gabrielle ... if you leave with her you know you will become the enemy of your people. You will never be able to return. You will be destroying the foundation upon which you’ve built ... You!"

"I know. I’m sorry."

"You’re sorry. Perfect. I’ll remember that. And I’m sure that Xena is sorry for all she’s done, too."

"Quiet!" Xena ordered, her head tilted to one side.

"Don’t you tell me ..."

Xena took a step towards her, and clamped a hand over the Amazon’s mouth. "I said, quiet," she stressed. "There’s something moving out there, and I can’t put my finger on it. Yet." She took her hand away, and Ephiny turned in the opposite direction, her eyes scanning the darkness.

Xena grabbed Gabrielle’s hand and pulled her close. The younger woman watched as the warlord began moving like a hunting cat, with taught tension was carved into every muscle. Danger hung in the air, and Gabrielle began to feel afraid.

The first arrow just missed Ephiny. The second hit her hard in the stomach, and she went down with a cry. Gabrielle fell by her side just as a yell of "Hail, Xena!" exploded from the forest.

"Gabrielle ..." Ephiny whispered, her hand searching wildly until Gabrielle grabbed it. "I’m here, Eph," she said, squeezing her friend’s hand.

"Gabrielle ..." Xena’s voice said over her, and Gabrielle felt a tremendous rage fill her. A primal scream escaped from her as she launched herself at Xena’s throat.

"All a trick!" she yelled. "Nothing but a damn trick to get me ... I hate you!" She beat on the warlord’s chest until two strong hands grabber her wrists, and she was forced to the ground.

Laughter rang out around her, and turning her head her eyes ran over a half dozen of the meanest looking warriors she’d ever seen. Most of the men had scars boldly displayed on their bodies, and all wore the imperial purple cloak of the Conqueror’s personal guard. Xena’s hand tightened on her wrist as a tall good looking man stepped out of the ranks.

"That first arrow should have gotten this one," he said, pointing at Ephiny. "And the second was for the blonde." He stepped over the crying Ephiny and approached his leader. "Course with her hiding behind you there was no choice but to get what we could." He slapped his fist against his chest in salute. "We had a heck of a time finding you, Xena."

"Oh, I’m just Xena now, am I, Tarquin?"

"I figured since I just saved your butt from these Amazons, that ..."

"You thought wrong," she said, flipping her hair off her shoulder. "Now, what’s the news?"

The man adopted a more respectful pose, and raised an eyebrow at Gabrielle, but Xena ignored his implications, and motioned him to speak. "The Amazons in the cave have been handled," he said with a smile.

"Are they dead?"

"We had to kill a few, but the remaining ones are being taken to camp."

"And my forces? What of them?"

"The first and second legions are a days march away. The advance scouts have already isolated five Amazon villages in this sector. We think we’ll have the main village pinpointed by morning."

"Fine," Xena said, hauling Gabrielle to her feet.

"I have to ask, majesty," Tarquin said, motioning at Gabrielle. "Why didn’t you just escape? You surrender threw the Amazons off long enough to put your plan into motion ... Why didn’t you just leave. I doubt either of these two could’ve stopped you."

"Your belief in my abilities is charming, Tarquin."

Gabrielle noticed the way Xena didn’t answer the question, but instead looked down at Ephiny with an unreadable expression. Following the Conqueror’s eyes Gabrielle allowed her full hatred for Xena to surface until she wished she’d have killed her when she had the chance. She knew now that Xena felt nothing for her, and it was all a lie ... it was all planned.

"See to that one’s wounds," Xena said, pointing at Ephiny.

Tarquin looked down, dismissing the bleeding Amazon with a glance. "It’s a gut shot. Hardly worth the effort ... Just let her die."

"No!" Gabrielle cried, and Xena roughly turned her arm behind her back until she cried out again. "Xena ... you’re hurting me!"

The rest of the guard laughed, and she thought she caught a slight smile on the warlord’s lips. Lips that she’d just let touch her own. Lips that spoke only betrayal. She felt sick.

"It wasn’t a request. I said, see to her wounds and make her as comfortable as possible."

The man waved his hand, and one of the smaller guards dropped to his knees by Ephiny and began examining her wound.

"What do you want to do with the blonde?" Tarquin asked.

"Did you bring me clothes?" Xena asked. "I’m sick to death of this filthy rag I’ve been forced to wear." She pulled at her wet tunic.

"May I ask, majesty ... did they harm you? If they did, then we will wipe every last Amazon off the face of the earth for such sacrilege."

"Quit sucking up," Xena ordered. "Where’s the camp? I want a bath and hot food." Xena pushed Gabrielle slightly behind her, and again pointed at Ephiny. "Take the wounded Amazon, and I want everything done to save her life. Understood?"

"And the other one?"

"She stays with me ... until I’m done with her."

Another snicker rose from the idle guards, but all fell silent after one harsh look from Xena. "Anything else," she said. "Or can we get out of this miserable weather?"

Tarquin bowed, and walked back to the men. With great pomp he produced the Conqueror’s sword, which was large and powerful, and sparkled from great care. Tarquin dropped to one knee and presented the blade to Xena. "The Conqueror can’t enter her camp without her sword."

Xena’s hand closed around the hilt, her other hand maintaining it’s vice like grip on Gabrielle’s wrist. Gabrielle closed her eyes at the sight of the gleaming blade in the warlord’s hand, and at that moment she knew that Xena would never be anyone but the Conqueror to her again. She felt a little more of herself die with the knowledge.

"Who shot the cross-bow?" She heard Xena ask in a bored voice.

"I did, majesty," Tarquin replied, bowing his head slightly.

"You always had a death wish," she said, smiling when his gray eyes shot up in alarm. "Your actions caused me grief, and I can’t have that." In one swift blow she’d severed his head from his body.

Gabrielle stared down at his twitching, headless body in horror. Xena had killed him without thought, and she brought a hand up to her mouth as a wave of nausea washed over her. She looked up at Xena, but the warlord was seeking out the eyes of every man present until the small group was chanting ‘Xena’ over and over. A feral grin curled the warlord’s lip at the sound of her name, and Gabrielle felt her knees go weak, but Xena’s strong arm closed around her waist and held her up.

"You," she said, pointing at one man. "Lead me to my tent." She started off, but spun around. "Bring the Amazon, and give her every consideration." She looked down at the dead man. "And bring his body. I’ll have it sent home on the manure cart."

The guard all slapped their fists against their chests as Xena started off into the forest, with Gabrielle being dragged helplessly behind.

She had no choice but to follow. The grip that Xena had on her wrist hurt, and she tried to free herself many times by falling or grabbing onto small trees with her free hand. Her efforts were no match for the Conqueror’s strength, and evidently Xena must have gotten tired of fighting, for she turned, and picking Gabrielle up by the waist, tossed her over her shoulder. The men following laughed, and Gabrielle wanted to die from the humiliation and shame that consumed her.

Concluded...Part 4


Return to The Bard's Corner