Here is another story. I hope you all enjoy it! The standard disclaimer. The characters of Xena and Gabrielle belong to Universal. No copyright infringement is intended, and this all came from my brain, and is not taken from any literary source or any other source whatsoever. No one gets the blame for my stories except me.

Gabrielle's thoughts and actions during and after 'Ties That Bind'

When You Care Enough

by Marie E. Costa

Xena's father! It echoed inside Gabrielle's head. How could he be her father and her not know it? "Xena wait." She said puzzled. "Don't you want to get to know him?"

"He isn't my father." She snarled.

"What if he is?"

"Attrius. All my father ever cared about was himself." It hurt admitting it, but it was the truth. Xena turned to walk away. She couldn't think.

"Is he your father?" Gabrielle grabbed her arm If he was maybe with his help Xena could heal some of her pain.

"Give me a break." Xena twisted out of her friend's grip, but didn't move. Finally she lifted painfilled eyes. "How am I supposed to know? He left so long ago. I was just a little girl and he was my everything...and he left me."

Gabrielle watched her leave and her heart filled with an ache that wouldn't let go. She deserves her happiness. I can step aside give her a chance to heal this breach. He seems like a good man.

I'll let her know once we reach the village. He's a warrior, like her...together they can do so much good. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Gohds not again! The girls are safe...I need to help. Attrius. Oh! He killed that man in cold blood! He was surrendering. Something's not right. She frowned. That man didn't have a knife. She shook her head as if to clear it. I would have seen it. Wouldn't I? But Xena accepted it... I didn't see it. Gabrielle sat back on her heels. Maybe she was being foolish. He's her father. What was that he said; "As long as the two of you are together there is no place for me." I can't let him walk out of her life. Not now. He's her father...she needs him.

Hmm...Gabrielle walked silently lost in thought. If this young girl could give herself over to slavery to save her sister...volunteer to go so her sister could have a chance at being happy can I do any less. Xena needs her father...needs his love and acceptance. Tears sprang to her eyes. I'm going to have to give her up. She bit her lip. Can I be as strong as Raia?

I had to tell her I'll take the girls while they scout...she never would have let me leave otherwise. Once I have them save I can just leave. Disappear before she gets here. This man he had to be Xena's father. It had to be right for them to be together, but why then did it feel so wrong?

I'm glad that things worked out for Raia. She deserves to be happy. I am glad they accepted her back. "Know you did the right thing." I pray I did the right thing.

And the villagers they have nothing but contempt and hatred for Attrius. I know I've seen the same hate in the eyes of other villagers and it was aimed at Xena, but for some reason this hate seems more evil. I need to get to the bottom of this, before Xena gets back. She will come back...and she will have defeated the army, or maybe just take it over...why does life have to be so difficult?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WHO DID THIS TO MY FATHER?"

That yell. "Xena?" Gabrielle called out as she ran. "What the? No. Don't run. She won't hurt us. Xena's my best friend!" What the heck was going on? Oh my gods! Attrius! Beaten and hung up to die. She pressed a hand to her mouth. How? When? Why didn't I hear anything? This isn't possible. A scream reached her ears. "Kill them all!"

"No!" Gabrielle screamed. "Wait. Put it down, Xena!" I can't let you do this.

"They killed my father now they'll die too. Get out of my way!" Hate filled eyes of cobalt blue glared angrily at Gabrielle.

"XENA!" Gabrielle gasped as Xena's maddened eyes turned toward her. Her heart snapped. "Now I'm standing up to a murderous warlord. The same way I saw you stand up to Draco, only this time the murderous warlord is you!" She cried the words as fear and a feeling of hopelessness invading her soul, but determined to do the right thing.

Xena shoved the slight woman aside and turned to the village elder.

Gabrielle struck her from behind. Fear in her eyes. Tears in her heart.

Slowly Xena rose and blinked. She shook her head once, twice, three times.

"Xena. A voice called from far away. Attrius? Wasn't Attrius...Ares. Set up...What a fool I've been.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Go ahead Kill me." She tossed her sword away.

"Xena!"

"Stay out of it Gabrielle."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabrielle breathed a sigh of relief. I should have known that Ares would never kill her. So now we go on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fire had died down. Xena lay back and closed her eyes. Gabrielle feigned sleep. She truly needed to sort through her feelings. Today she almost gave Xena back to the darkness. Ares! Had he fooled them because he was good or because they had wanted to believe? Xena. Just saying her name calms me, even as it thrills. She smiled to herself. Ties that bind us closer than family. I never thought she'd tell me how she felt, but those words sure tell me she feels as strongly about me as I do about her. Maybe today's adventure was worth it. The smile reached her eyes. At least I know...I think I know, that she won't send me home. I know I'd give my life for her...and she for me. Heck I was willing to give her up for her own good. And it would have been the worst thing I ever did. Gabrielle shuddered. I almost handed her into the hands of Ares. Now what do I do? How do I help her heal?

"Gabrielle?"

"Xena?"

"Stop worrying and go to sleep."

Gabrielle's mouth dropped open. "How do you do that?"

Xena opened one eye and smiled. "I have many skills."

"Ya, I know." Laughter filled Gabrielle's voice. "And I still want to know how you do that."

"Okay." Xena laughed. "I listened to your heart."

"Huh?"

"I listen to the sounds around us. The woods, the animals, the birds, the wind, the stream, the fire, all make sounds unique to themselves. Once identified I listen for other sounds..." She let her voice trail off.

Gabrielle sat in awe. "I could never sit that quietly."

"I know." Xena chuckled.

"Hey!" Gabrielle protested. "No need to insult."

"I wasn't." Gabrielle could hear the joy in her friend's voice. "Just agreeing with you. Now go to sleep."

"Okay." Gabrielle leaned over and kissed her friend on the cheek. "Thank you." She laid down and closed her eyes. All would be okay and as she drifted off to sleep she mumbled out loud. "Ties that bind..."


Return to The Bard's Corner

mumbled out loud. "Ties that bind..."


Return to The Bard's Corner