WRITER'S BLOCK

By Mary E. Terrell
METBard@aol.com

January 23, 1999

DISCLAIMERS: The characters of Xena and Gabrielle aren't mine. Darn.

SUBTEXT: There's nothing sub about it. But then there's also nothing graphic in this.

INSPIRIRATION: My own writer's block of course.

----------------------------

Gabrielle let out a frustrated growl as she wadded up a piece of parchment and hurled it at the fireplace. She plunked her head down on the table with a loud thunk.

"Something wrong?" asked Xena as she closed the door to their room.

The bard didn't look up, as the warrior crossed over to her and placed a trencher on the table. "I'm trying to write a new story. I have the ideas for it, but I can't seem to get the words down on parchment."

"Well," said her friend, "I think then it's time for a break, and for something to eat."

The young woman raised her head slightly from the wooden surface. "Yeah. I haven't had anything since this morning."

Xena raised an eyebrow at that. "I had a feeling you'd missed lunch."

Gabrielle straightened in her seat. "And I have a feeling I'm not the only one who hasn't eaten since breakfast."

The warrior ducked her head, a wry grin on her face. "Guilty as charged." She took the seat across from the bard, and the two ate mostly in silence.

When the meal was finished, the bard pushed aside her plate and pulled over another piece of parchment. But the words for her story were still not forthcoming.

Xena rose from her chair, and moved to her friend's side, "Gabrielle. Why don't you just quit writing for the evening,? Better yet, why don't you just quit thinking and just feel." She gently grasped the younger woman's hands and pulled her up from the table.

Gabrielle raised an eyebrow at that, in a fair imitation of her companion. She was about to question that when Xena leaned toward her, brushing her lips with a kiss, and then another. "Just feel," she finally whispered. And moved in closer to the warrior for another kiss. She let go of her story ideas, and concentrated on Xena's hands as they worked to free her from her clothes.


Return to The Bard's Corner