Xena chuckled to herself, remembering. Then she pulled out the scrap of parchment, and leaned nearer the fire, to read the words again.

Darkness falls, cold decending

The air outside chills with frost,

As though the world itself abandoned life.

But where I am, no ice can touch me, no frost can settle.

When I close my eyes, and think of you.

Appropriate for the season. Xena thought, as she felt the same warmth spread through her. Folding the paper up small, she tucked it into the palm of her hand, and closed her fingers into a fist, then settled herself down to sleep, gazing thoughtfully at the crackling fire for a timeless moment before letting her eyes close.


Gabrielle let her head rest on the pillow, her arms wrapped around it, as she gazed sightlessly out the window at the morning sun. At least there was sun today, her mind idly considered It had been a long night, after she'd left Ephiny peacefully sleeping, and spoken with the healer. Then come back here to the cabin.. which was very large, and very quiet without it's other occupant.

Not that Xena was an exceptionally noisy person - no - quite the opposite. But her presence always seemed to fill the room, even when she was just sitting quietly by the fire, or sprawling on the bed, watching Gabrielle write. Or just.. All right, Gabrielle, cut that out, and get a grip on yourself.

It hadn't been a peaceful sleep, though she'd avoided nightmares, her body so used now to Xena's comfortingly warm presence that she found it hard to forgo it and sleep in this very large bed without her. Sighing, she rolled over, and rubbed her eyes, then stretched her body to its full length on the bed and sat up, running her fingers through her hair. "Morning, Ares." She mumbled to the wolf, who rolled over, and presented his belly for a scratch.

"Arrrrggroooo." He sighed, wagging his tail as she complied.

"Yeah, same to you." She laughed, grabbing his muzzle and shaking it. "Come on, let's get dressed and get some breakfast. " she slid off the bed, and padded over to the fire, swinging the water pot over it, then moving to where a basin of water stood. Holding her breath, she plunged her face into it, letting the icy water shock her wide awake. "Yaaaagghh!!" She yelled, as she pulled her head up. "How does she DO that???" Thinking of Xena's so very casual plunge into the basin every morning.

"Roo?" Ares asked, sitting on his haunches behind her, his dark head cocked to one side.

"Brrrr…" Gabrielle chattered, grabbing a towel and drying herself off. "She usually warms it up for me." She felt a smile crossing her face at the thought. That quietly unexpected consideration from someone she had always though oblivious to little things like that… and when that started to change..

She'd first noticed it after.. that whole thing with Velasca and Callisto.. after they'd fought, and finally repaired their friendship for what seemed the dozenth time. They'd had a routine.. she knew what was expected of her.

To keep her stuff cared for, and tidy. To help set up camp, and find firewood. To do most of the cooking, because Xena was, truly, horrible at it. Xena's job was to find a secure spot to begin with, and take care of Argo, keep up all her weapons and armor, to hunt for them, and collect herbs and other vegetation because she could without getting them both poisoned.

She began to notice little things.. like finding her bedroll already laid out. Or something mended without comment, and put back in her pack. Tea made for her at night without her asking for it.

She found herself almost irresistibly reciprocating.. bringing Argo neatly plucked river grasses, bringing Xena her dinner. Making little things she knew were her companions favorites.

Some things were inviolate - Xena never touched her scrolls, she never went near the warrior's arms or armor. But she could feel a.. blurring of boundaries between them, and she thought about it late at night, looking up at the stars, seeing Xena's nearby face looking up as well. That was the other change.. they'd started sleeping side by side, by mutual unsaid consent. It just.. happened one night.

So they could talk. Or make pictures with the stars, without having to shout across the campfire. Or so Xena could more easily protect her if they were attacked at night. Yeah, sure, that was it.

She thought about how she kept close to the warrior's side during the day, and how Xena seemed to like walking more and more often lately.

Arms just brushing. Close enough for her to catch the spicy scent of Xena's leathers, and the biting tang of the brass armor she wore. Close enough to hear her gentle, even breathing. They played "Who'd you kill?" and she rehearsed her stories, or sometimes they’d just talk.. about anything. Everything.

One night, she'd gone down to the river, to wash out the cooking pot after dinner. Had just started her task when she heard familiar footsteps behind her, then a warm presence knelt at her side. "Want a hand?" That voice that had started reaching for places deep inside her, carefully casual, unconcerned with her answer.

"Sure." The setting sun had colored them both in a crimson wash, and she'd paused for a minute, closing her eyes and just letting herself feel the beauty of the day. The wind brought to her the rich scent of pine, and the distinctive smell of the river, and the warmly milky smell of the soap Xena was using. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" She'd asked, opening her eyes and turning, finding blue eyes shaded almost to violet in the rich sunset regarding her.

"Yeah." With that quirky half grin. Then the eyes had flicked across the water, and down to her task. "Sure is."

She'd put her attention to the task, just accepting the sparkling chill she felt as their hands touched. Squawking as Xena finished up, then flicked a handful of water at her. "Hey!" She'd yelled, splashing back.

Never really knew how it happened.. just one minute she was fighting furiously, the next she'd lost her balance, and tumbled off the ledge she was kneeling on, and was headed for the water. She'd braced herself for a cold impact, but somehow.. something big, and warm grabbed her first, and with a rush of air she was back on the bank, and rolling in the grass all wrapped up in Xena's arms.

She knew she should untangle herself, and brush it off with a laugh. But that warmth, and that heady scent, and her own nature betrayed her, and she slid her arms around her companion and hugged her instead. It felt wonderful.

A long stunned instant, then she felt arms closing over her, and returning the pressure. And a voice very close to her ear. "What's that for?" Meaning the hug, but in a tone that did wonderful things as it slid down her hearing. .

"Just cause." She'd answered back. Just cause I'm falling head over heels in love with you, Xena. Just cause you make me feel so crazy.. I can't hardly think. Just cause I sit up at night and write poetry about your eyes. Just cause. .."Xena?"

"Mmm?" The pressure around her relaxed, and she was free to move away. She very deliberately didn't, and after a hesitant moment, felt the pressure return. "What?" The warrior asked idly.

"I l.. uh.. thanks for catching me." Just a few more seconds of this.. just a few.. And then they would get up, and dust themselves off, and return to the camp.

"Anytime, Gabrielle.." Came the lazy answer, and she felt Xena's chest move as she took a deep breath, and let it out slowly, and then the warrior stood up, and collected the pots, and extended a hand down to her to help her up.

Just.. kind of.. forgetting to let it go as they walked back in silence, with the setting sun warm on their backs and the growing sense of what was between them making Gabrielle’s heart lurch in happy wonder.

Gabrielle realized she'd been standing there in a daze for several minutes, and shook her head, laughing a little. "Oh gods.. I need to cut that out." She let a held breath out slowly. "Come on, let’s get on the ball here."

She finished getting washed up, and dressed quickly, heading out the door and patting her leg for Ares to follow. "Come on, boy. You stick with me."

"Grrr. " Ares confirmed, as he slipped out the door ahead of her.


"Morning, mom." She poked her head inside the kitchen "Hi Johan."

"Hey honey." Cyrene looked up from her task. "C'mere a minute." Keep an eye on her, Xena said. All right. "Did you have a good night's sleep?"

"Yeah, fine thanks." The bard assured her, moving into the room and stopping by the work table, leaning against it and crossing her arms. "Nice weather this morning for a change."

Johan smiled. "That it is, lass. Good traveling weather, thank the gods."

Gabrielle thought about Xena's reaction to waking up to the improved weather, and smiled contentedly. "Yep, that it is." While her warrior partner carried on in all sorts of weather, and never complained, her reaction to a fine, sunny morning was always perceptible. Not that she'd ever admit to that, of course. Might ruin the image. "I'm going to go in and check on Ephiny."

"Ah ah ah.." Cyrene interrupted. "The lady is sleeping, honey. The healer was just in there. " She handed Gabrielle a plate. "Here… you go tuck into this. There's time enough after that."

The bard gave her a warm smile, and took the plate. "Thanks mom." She turned to remove herself to the main part of the inn, then stopped at the door, and peeked back. "Oh..and mom?"

"Hmm?" Cyrene looked up.

"She's not a lady, she's an Amazon." And the door swung shut behind the bard's grinning face.

"Scamp." Cyrene chuckled, and shook her head. "Goodness, I hope she goes and corrals those youngsters…" She exchanged a slightly exasperated look with Johan. "Did you see what they did to that poor goat?"

Johan just shook his head, and kept at his task.


"Oh.. look. There's Queen Gabrielle." Sharra whispered, giving Cait a nudge. "She's really cute, isn't she?" They watched the young woman cross the front area of the inn, and push the kitchen door open, leaning in and speaking to someone inside

Cait studied the bard judiciously. "I love her hair." She commented, taking a spoonful of cereal and chewing it thoughtfully. "Especially when she lets it all loose like that."

Megan watched the queen disappear into the kitchen and grinned. "I wonder if that's how Xena likes her to wear it?"

They all giggled. "Wow.." Elianas sighed. "And how about that kiss yesterday? I can't believe they did that, right here in front of everyone."

Deep sighs around the table, and Megan let her head hit the surface with a thump. "I melted." She moaned, pretending to slide under the table. "That was sooo hot."

"Shh..." Lista hissed. "Here she comes." They all looked up, presenting bright and innocent faces as Gabrielle crossed the floor and approached their table.

"Hi." The bard said casually. "Mind if I join you?"

Five shaking heads

"Good." Gabrielle put her plate down, and pulled out a chair, seating herself and looking at them. "So.. what's up?"

Cait leaned forward, by unspoken agreement their spokesperson due to her vast experience of both Amphipolis and its daunting inhabitants. "How is Queen Ephiny?"

The bard took a mouthful of breakfast, chewed, and swallowed before she answered. "Mmm.. Ephiny is doing as well as we could expect. She's pretty sick, and she's coughing a lot, but Xena's been giving her some pretty effective medicine, and I think she's going to be OK." She reached behind her, and snagged a mug off the counter, then poured some cider into it and took a sip. "We sent a note back home, so people there won't worry too much. But Ephiny's going to be stuck here for a little while so she can recover."

That was more information than they were apparently expecting, and Gabrielle was left in peace for a few minutes to continue eating.

"Is it true Xena went off to go rescue Hercules?" Megan piped up finally, twirling her fork in her fingers, and watching the bard's expressive face.

Gabrielle looked up, and studied her, then let a small grin move her lips. "It's true." Sorry Xena.. but I really do think that's just too funny, you going off to rescue the son of Zeus. Again. I know..I know.. it's serious, and Iolaus was very upset.. but… I know in my heart you'll fix everything, and this'll be a great story. Just wish I was there to see it.

They all looked at each other. "So.." Megan continued. "Why didn't you go too?"

"Oh.' Gabrielle casually sat back, and put a bit of honey on the muffin in her hand. "Well, I have to stay here and take care of Ephiny.. and you guys too. My responsibility, remember?" She took a bite of the muffin, and chewed it, watching their reactions.

Sharra grinned, and leaned forward. "Bet you wish you didn't have to stay."

Gabrielle blushed, remembering their faces the day before. "No no.. " She laughed. "We're not tied to each other like that." Liar.. she scolded herself. "I'm going to wait for the escort I know Eponin and Solari will send down here, then join you all in going back to the village."

"Really?" Elianas asked, taking sip of her cider. "You mean to take charge while Ephiny recovers?"

The bard nodded. "Yes." She cleaned her plate, and took a last swallow of cider. " So.. what do you say we go over the boundary treaties after breakfast? I need to keep you guys away from mom's goats."

Five sets of abashed faces. "Sorry about that." Cait muttered. "It did look awfully cute though." She peeked at the bard's face, which had a mildly indulgent look on it. "But oh..I hear you're just the best with that staff.. can we do that instead?"

Four utterly grateful pairs of eyes turned to Cait, and Megan gave her knee a squeeze under the table. "It's grand weather." Cait added with a hopeful smile.

Gabrielle felt a tingle of surprise at the request, and found it touched her pride a little. "Sure." She agreed, with a laugh. "If that's what you want to do.. sure... I can do that."

"Grand." Cait sighed. "It's ever too nice to be indoors today."

Megan slid forward again. "And. .will you tell us some stories??"

They all leaned towards her like a pack of vultures. "Uhm.. what kind of stories?" Gabrielle temporized.

"Gory ones." Cait chirped, with a grin. "Nice and gory ones with lots of battles."

"Ah." The bard let a understanding look cross her face. "You want Xena stories." They all blushed. "I see." She let them stew a minute. "Well.. just so happens I do have a few of those." Her green eyes twinkled. "And you know something?" She leaned forward and added in a hushed voice.

"What?" A chorus.

"They're my favorite kind." Gabrielle whispered, then stood up, grabbing her plate and mug. "Give me a few candemarks to tend to Ephiny, and we'll meet outside, all right? There are some practice staves in the barn. Then we can go for a walk down by the river, and I'll see what I can do about some stories."

Five grins, which remained as they watched the queen take her plate and cup to the washbasin, then dry her hands off and head towards the small back room.

"Gosh, she's got nice eyes." Sharra said dreamily, putting her chin on her hand.

"And a cute walk.'" Elianas added, with a smirk. "Pity it's so cold.. she looks gooood in that halter and skirt."

Megan slapped her. "Hey. .that's the queen you're talking about!"

Elianas slapped her back. "And your point is what???" The taller girl snorted. "That being queen prevents you from being adorable? No chance.. besides, she's not really an Amazon."

Silence prevailed for a long moment while they pondered the statement. "Well... " Sharra sighed. "That's true.. she's not. I mean.. not like Queen Ephiny. Or Solari, or Eponin... she's too.. "

"Gentle." Cait supplied, finishing her cereal. "She's never killed anyone."

Megan studied the sometimes enigmatic Cait. "You have, though. Right?"

Cait nodded her blond head. "But she's different." She played with her spoon thoughtfully. "She doesn't have that in her, I don't think."

Megan chuckled. "She doesn't much need it, right? She's got just about the greatest fighter alive taking care of her.. I’d feel pretty secure." She poked Sharra. "All she's got to do is yell for help and the wrath of the gods comes down."

A laugh ran around the table. "True.. true..'" Elianas agreed. "Come on.. let's get changed.. you volunteered us as pell practice."

Cait grinned. "More fun than reviewing dry old treaties, right?"

Sharra poked her back as they headed out the door. "Yeah, well you didn't see her toss Eponin on her butt last time, did you."


Gabrielle leaned against the wall of Ephiny's room, trying to erase the piercing, high voices from her mind. She'd tried not to listen, but it was too quiet in the inn, and her hearing had grown sharper lately, maybe just from plain practice. Her reaction ran rapidly from embarrassment to a dull anger as she considered their words.

Well.. it was true, wasn't it. Gabrielle sat slowly down in the chair, watching Ephiny's drawn face, pale and still in a labored sleep. She wasn't really an Amazon.. not like Ephiny.. not like Solari, or Eponin, or Granella... she wasn't a warrior. She regarded her hands for a long moment. Was she?

Those hands had calluses.. on the fingers where she used her quills, sure.. but mostly on the palms and sides from her staff work. The wrists were thicker than she remembered, as she moved her fingers, the tendons moved under the skin almost like Xena's did, and she knew when she looked in the mirror nowadays, the body she saw looking back at her was no soft, quiet scholar’s. Far from it. Put her in an Amazon's leathers, and eyes couldn't tell the difference, not anymore, save that she was a trifle on the short side. Put her staff in her hands, and not even her height would fool anyone, not with them watching her take out men twice her size.

So.. what am I? I'm not only a bard anymore, right?

Xena says.. weapons equal responsibility. When you learn to use one, you take responsibility for understanding what you are capable of doing with it. She takes that very seriously..she's really aware of just how dangerous she is.

Am I dangerous? She'd been thinking about that a lot lately.. as she got stronger, and felt her skills increasing. Just last week, she and Xena had been sparring, and she'd lost her balance while swinging full force. Xena had managed a minor miracle in preventing her own staff from connecting with Gabrielle's body, but in doing so, she'd been unable to prevent the bard's blow from hitting her. It had impacted the warrior's skull just over the ear, and taken her to her knees. Xena had stood up almost immediately, and brushed the injury off, but Gabrielle had seen the dazed look in those blue eyes, and it has scared her more than anything else she'd ever done, because she knew damn well just how tough Xena was, and what it took to hurt her.

She'd stopped, right there, put both of their staves up and walked Xena back to the cabin, aware of her whole body shaking in reaction. It had taken two days for her to get up the nerve to spar with the warrior again, and even then she wouldn't let herself go full force until Xena deliberately pushed her.

It had unnerved her almost as much as the day she realized Xena was no longer going half speed against her, the first time she'd looked across their crossed staves and seen the competitive fire strong in those eyes, that made her freeze, and back away, suddenly knowing what it felt like to really go up against her partner. She knew right then, in a very definite certainty, that she never wanted to repeat the experience for real.

So they thought she was helpless without the certainly daunting Xena, did they? That she hung around getting into trouble, and depending on Xena to get her out of it? She sat back in the chair, and stared out the window. That was true.. once. She admitted, and quite recently, too. But not anymore. She nodded a little at the incoming sunlight, letting her hands trail in Ares' warm fur. All right.. I’ll show them.

"Hey." Ephiny's drowsy voice interrupted her musings. "Dinar for your thoughts.. you look grim."

Gabrielle let out a long breath. "No.. just thinking.. of stuff. You know.. how are you feeling?"

The Amazon blinked at her wearily. "Lousy." She admitted. "Not coughing as much, but I feel like I've been run over by a chariot." She paused. "Being pulled by centaurs."

The bard scooted her chair over. "You look it." She informed the blond woman mercilessly. "Think I need to get some solid food into you." She smiled at Ephiny's wince. "Or at least some more soup."

The Amazon nodded a little. "How's the girls?" Her eyes flickered to Gabrielle's, noting the brief shadow that crossed the bard's normally open and friendly face. "Gab?"

"Fine.." Gabrielle answered, stirring a small pot on the fire. "Causing trouble.. they tied rabbit ears on the inn's goat.. and one of them fell in the henhouse and squashed a bunch of eggs."

Ephiny colored in embarrassment. "Gods. Sorry."

The bard looked over, and grinned. "Not your fault.. but I'm taking them out for some staff practice this morning, and then I think we'll all take a long walk out to the river and back this afternoon. Maybe that'll tire them out."

The blond woman sighed. "Thanks... didn't mean to saddle you with the little monsters." She gave Gabrielle an amused look. "Try not to break any of them, ok? You swing a mean staff."

The bard brought some soup over to her, and settled back down on her chair. "I'll try not to." Her brow creased. "Were we ever that young?"

Both of Ephiny's eyebrows shot up. "We??? Speak for yourself, you little sprout." She laughed, barely avoiding another coughing spell. "Listen to you...you most certainly were that young, and not to damn long ago, either."

Gabrielle snorted softly. "I guess.. but I never acted like that...guess I just had other things to do.. besides.." She shrugged. "There weren't that many girls my age in Potadeia." Her gaze dropped, and she rested her elbows on her knees. "I had a lot of people to play with, and to do things with .. dances, that kind of thing." Her green eyes lifted and met Ephiny's. "But I had to go and almost get captured by raiders to find my first real best friend." She smiled, and gave her head a little shake. "Funny how life is."

"Yeah." The Amazon agreed softly. "Here.. let me see what I can do with that." She eased herself up a little, and took the small bowl of soup from Gabrielle's hands. Gods.. here I am always thinking that Xena is the one with all the skeletons in her mental closet. I keep forgetting how much Gabrielle's been through already..looks like she has a few sore spots too. "Well, if you don't mind me saying, if you had to wait until then at least it was worth the wait."

This got a brilliant full smile from the bard. "That's true, isn't it." She laughed. "That's so true."

Ephiny sipped her soup, and watched her friend's face from the corner of her eyes. "Did you guys hit it off right away or...? " A long pondered question resting in the back shelf of her curiosity.

Gabrielle snorted and rolled her eyes, then grew thoughtful. "I usually say no, because I had to chase her down. .argue with her for hours.. gods knows what to get her to let me stay with her but..." She paused and shook her tawny head. "Eph, there was something there from the first time we set eyes on each other... we both felt it."

The Amazon smiled, and sucked on the back of her spoon, having finished her soup. "Hey.. that's a wonderful thing to hear." She watched as the bard took the bowl back from her, and set it on the table. "Where did you say you were going to take them later?"

Gabrielle shrugged. "Oh.. down by the river, probably - it'll take us till after dark to get back. That ought to be enough."

The Amazon's eyes clouded. "Are you sure you.. " She hesitated, feeling the bard's hackles start to rise. "I mean, those brigands are out there.. I don't.."

"Look." Gabrielle's green eyes snapped. "Ephiny, I can take care of myself. ."

The blond woman raised a hand. "Not saying you can't.. but what's the point in taking needless risks? If something happens.."

"If something happens, I'll just have to deal with it." The bard answered. "Or are you saying you don't think I can?"

"Whoa!!!" Ephiny rasped. "Hold on. that's not what I'm saying at all." What brought THAT on?? "Just.. be careful, ok?" She took a breath. "Have pity on poor old Ephiny.. will you? Cause I'm the one who's going to have to face Xena if something happens to you." She waited a beat, watching the anger drain out of Gabrielle's face. "And I don't want to ever have to do that."

"I know." The bard said very quietly. "We're just going for a walk.. and yes, I'll be careful."

"You all right?" Ephiny asked, just as quietly. "You seem really on edge."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Gabrielle sighed, then patted her arm. "Sorry.. I'm just a little sensitive about that... I hate being treated like a kid.. as you know."

Ephiny gave her a look. "I know." She reached out and gave her a little poke. "But you do have the damnedest knack for getting in trouble."

Gabrielle rolled her eyes. "Don't go there." She warned, standing up. "I gotta go change.. I'll be back after dinner, so you get some rest, OK?" She smiled a little. "Have I told you the story about Cecrops yet?"

Ephiny perked up. "The Lost Mariner? No.. "

"Later." The bard promised, and slipped out the door.


Xena opened one eye, and peered at the opening to the cave, pleased to see it was still dark out. Well.. that still works. She considered, then rolled onto her back, and stretched tentatively. Hmm. A moderately pleased look crossed her face. Not as bad as I'd expected. She glanced across the banked fire, at Iolaus' peacefully sleeping face, and a smirk crossed her own, remembering their conversation of last night. You owe me for that, bard.

Silently, she moved her blanket aside, and sat up, sitting cross-legged and folding the blanket neatly, then standing up and walking across the cave to the opening.

Dry air met her nose, and she grinned. The pre dawn sky was only beginning to lighten, but she could see a full compliment of stars, and knew the weather had, at least temporarily, cleared. That's a good sign. She nodded quietly to herself, stepping outside and feeling the brisk morning breeze picking up, lifting the hair from her shoulders and sending a pleasant shiver down her leather clad back. With a satisfied nod, she turned and moved back into the cave, stopping to pull a small pot from her kit, and filling it with water from her waterskin. She knelt and stirred the fire, enjoying the pleasant warmth on her face, and set the pot on to warm, then went back outside, and headed in the direction of the river.

Halfway there she decided a run to loosen up her muscles would be a good idea, so moments later she was bounding over the pine scattered ground, letting the wind push her hair back off her face, as she felt her heart move into that low, strong rhythm that sent a warming rush of blood to the edges of her skin.

Gods.. this feels good. She felt the ground begin to slope downward towards the water, and increased her pace, feeling a low laugh begin to bubble up as she leaped a runoff gully without missing a step, and felt the wind become charged with the river's moisture.

She rounded the last bend in on the turf, and almost stopped short, seeing what was ahead of her.

Horses. Wild ones, who were sipping at the river's edge, moving in ghostly shadows in the grayness of the dawn. Too late - they spotted her, and took off running, heading at an angle towards her, moving away from the river.

A wild glint sparked in her eyes, and she launched herself after them, picking up speed in her first few strides and moving across their path, causing them to scatter and slow, and allowing her to draw even with the snorting stallion, a great gray beast taller than Argo, with a coal black mane and tail.

He bolted, and ran for the trees, and Xena went with him, straining herself to the limit to stay even with the frantic beast, and realizing she was running out time, and room as the trees loomed close.

One powerful lunging stride, and she was next to him, reaching up , and grabbing his mane. Another coiling leap and she was up on his back, sliding her legs around his barrel chest, and hanging on for dear life.

He screamed, and bucked, showing his teeth and corkscrewing sideways, as all four feet left the ground at once, but the legs that clamped around him were relentless in their power, and he took off running again, trying to lose this annoying burr clinging to his back.

Xena let out a wild yell, and stuck with him, as the wind brought tears to her eyes with it's harsh coldness, and burned in her lungs. The stallion hurtled back towards the cave, shaking his head, unable to dislodge his rider, as the rest of the panicked herd followed along. He circled back towards the river, and this time drove towards it with manic intent, thinking to drown whatever it was that was on top of him.

Xena crouched low over his back, and enjoyed the ride, timing her leap with relentless precision as the animal thundered down the bank and into the water, leaving her high and dry and laughing in delight, as she fell back into the long river grasses, turning her face into the rising sun and feeling it's warmth on her closed eyelids. Oh.. wow.. that was great. Her mind sighed in contentment. What a way to start the day.

The stallion snorted, and plunged out of the water, making a wide circle around her and rolling his eyes in her direction. He led the herd down the river, occasionally turning his head to keep an eye on her sprawled form.

The warrior laughed softly, and rolled to her feet, padding down to the water, and plunging her head and upper body in, scrubbing herself vigorously. The icy liquid sent chills down her, but they felt good after the heat of her ride, and she twisted her hair to wring the excess water out of it, then shook her head to scatter the extra water over the area she was standing in. Oh yeah. She felt herself grinning. No cabin fever, huh ? You fraud. She mused in rueful self knowledge. This would have been just perfect if Gabrielle was here.. but then.. A darkly amused thought. She'd have killed me for jumping on that horse.. and it probably was a really dumb thing to do.

She broke into a jog back towards the cave, reveling in the morning sun, and the cold wind, and just being alive, opening her senses to the surrounding land and soaking in everything it had to offer. I wonder if there are any more of those little notes.. her mind mused, as she headed up the slope leading to the mouth of the cave, and saw Iolaus standing in the opening, hands on his hips. Just watching her.

No, no.. Xena, you are not going to tear apart your packs until you find them. No. Absolutely not. We have things to do, and places we have to be. Hercules, remember? "Morning Iolaus." She drawled, as she slowed to a halt near the entrance.

Iolaus had woken at the sun's first rays penetrated the cave mouth, and glanced around, surprised to see the other bedroll empty. He'd always assumed Xena woke up at dawn, like the rest of Western Civilization. Silly me.. he chuckled. Guess that's yet another assumption I can toss out with the bath water, huh?

Xena and Gabrielle. He laughed to himself. Who'd have thought it? And.. boy.. o boy.. o boy.. could he ever have fun with Hercules over this. Assuming Xena could get the big guy out this mess, that is. Iolaus paused, examining his thoughts. Well, if anyone can, it'd be her, right? He stood up, and stretched his small frame, rocking his head from side to side and listening to the painful cracking with a wince. Oh… Hera.. I forgot just how much I hate sleeping on the floor. Every bone in his body ached, and he briefly felt nostalgic for that nice soft bed in Xena's mom's inn. With a sigh, he walked over to the fire, charmed to see that Xena had put up some water before she'd left to..

Left to what? He wondered, and walked to the mouth of the cave, looking out on a beautiful day. Ah… that's more like it. A satisfied smile crossed his face, and he was about to turn around and go back inside when movement below him caught his attention. He walked a few steps from the cave entrance, and peered down, spotting what had caught his attention. Xena. Running. For no apparent reason other than because she could. Her body caught the rising sun and sent sparkles off the water which still beaded on her neck and chest, and danced off the brightness of her eyes.

Those eyes found his, as she ended her run right next to him. "Morning, Xena." He commented casually. "Do you always.. uh… run around in the dark before sunrise?"

The warrior snorted. "Depends." Then she allowed a faint grin to form. "Not lately."

"Ah.. too cold, huh?" Iolaus sympathized, rubbing his arms.

"Nope.. I've had better things to do." Xena drawled, watching a flush creep up his neck as he caught her meaning. She wiped a mischievous grin off her face, and jerked her head downslope. "River's that way. I'll brew up some tea, then we can pack up and get going. If we keep going until after moonrise tonight, we should be almost there."

He nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

Xena watched him trot down the path, and shook her head a bit, reentering the cave and crossing to her saddlebags, kneeling beside them and pulling out a warm tunic and leggings to put on over her leathers for traveling. Her hand paused over the neatly packed items, then dropped gently, and prodded them with one curious finger. No.. you are not going to hunt through this bag, you mushball. She paused. But I could look for that extra armor catch pin I was sure I packed in here…

Uh..right. She laughed helplessly at herself, as her fingers searched deftly, and fell on another neatly wrapped bundle. Gods.. I’m hopeless. With a satisfied chuckle, she pulled it out, and tossed it up once before catching it and stowing it with an air of martyrdom in her belt pouch. Later… later… come on now.. let's get going. She coaxed herself into standing, and sliding into the clothes, then stowing her bedroll and carrying both it and her bags over to where Argo was patiently waiting. "Hey girl.." Xena slapped the mare on the withers. "How are you feeling, huh?"

A snort from the mare.

"Aw, come on.. it's good for you." The warrior chuckled, walking over to the fire, and dumping the contents of a handful of herbs in the steaming water, sitting down next to the warmth to wait for the herbs to steep. Almost without her consent, her hand dropped to her pouch, and drew the little packet out, and she studied it carefully, then delicately unwrapped the bundle, and spread the parchment out flat on her knee. The stone she kept, fiddling with it unconsciously as she read.

I stand at the dawn of the world,

As the whole of creation waits in silence unending,

For the first ray to pierce the darkness,

The first sound break the stillness,

Then I stand here knowing the one thing that has always been

And always will be is my love for you.

Xena let out a little sigh, and gently touched the surface of the parchment with the tip of one finger, tracing the letters in that firm, distinctive hand. So beautiful.. I can't believe someone would write that.. for me. I don't deserve this. Oh gods. .I don't deserve her. I don't.. I know I'm going to do something to screw this up.

She closed her eyes, and just let the emotion crash over her for a moment. Then she drew in a deep breath, and straightened. No. This was meant to be… regardless of what I did before, or what I do later, this… was part of my destiny. I can't avoid it, I can't disregard it. We're part of each other.

Her pulse calmed down, and she reread the scrap, this time letting a smile form, then folded the paper up, and carefully tucked it away, as she heard Iolaus coming up the path. She poured the tea into two travel cups, and handed one to the blond man as he walked in shivering. "Gods!" He gasped, taking the cup gratefully. "That water's damn cold, Xena!"

Eliciting a derisive snort from the warrior. "Get over it, Iolaus. Hades, men are such wimps."

"What?" He protested, warming his hands on the cup and taking a deep swallow. "We are not." He gave her a look. "We’re lots tougher than women."

Xena's eyebrows curved up, and a competitive glint formed in her ice blue eyes. "Oh yeah?"

"Well.. yeah!" Iolaus answered, realizing too late what he was saying. Oh.. shit. "I mean.. well, you know.. what I mean, Xena.. I mean.. the average guy might be a wimp.. but us unaverage hero types… that's a different story.. and of course, I certainly wasn't referring to YOU when I said guys were tougher.. uh.. no.. everyone knows you're about the toughest thing going, right? Men, women, dogs,.. trees.. you beat them all." He paused, out of breath. "Right?"

A devilish gleam in those clear blue eyes, that even he could recognize. "Don't hurt me?" He squeaked, closing his eyes tightly. "Please?"

Felt a hand on his shoulder. "Relax… I was just kidding." Xena assured him, with a grin. "I'm sure you're very tough, Iolaus. After all, you survive traveling with Hercules, right."

He cracked an eye open and regarded her thoughtfully. "So.. what does that say for Gabrielle?"

Xena rolled her eyes. "Come on, let's get going."


Gabrielle settled her staff into it's accustomed corner, and dusted her hands off as she entered the cabin, a pleased smile on her face. "That felt good, right Ares?" She pulled the wolf's ears gently, and took a deep breath. "Five energetic young Amazons, and I just ran them into the ground."

She ran her fingers through her damp hair, and smiled a touch smugly, feeling pleasantly tired but not much more. "Time for lunch, then we go down to the river." She informed the wolf, as she stripped off her workout tunic, and crossed to the water basin, dampening a scrap of linen, and running it over her body to rinse off the sweat and dust of the practice yard.

Finishing, she caught a glimpse of her profile in the mirror, and gazed at it for a minute, resting her hand just below her rib cage and running her fingers down her belly.. She laughed shortly, then shook her head. "No.. I don't think they'd mistake me for the village milkmaid, Ares." She moved and watched the muscles shift under her skin in idle fascination. "No wonder Lila freaked out." She felt a wondering smile cross her face.

It seemed strange to see that in herself, though she was more than used to seeing that shift and play under Xena's darker skin. "That's kind of cool." She concluded, finishing up her washing and pulling on a fresh tunic, then dropping onto the bed to rest for a minute, lying flat on her back and spreading her arms out wide.

It had felt really good.. seeing the slowly growing respect in those young eyes facing her, as she ran them through teaching drills she used with the villagers. She'd had to.. Her face broke into a smile. She'd had to go half speed with them, since her full force strikes would have taken their staves from their hands, but it was a fun session. She shifted her shoulders, feeling the tightness and pleasant ache in her muscles and spared a wistful wish for her partner, whose skilled hands would be very much appreciated right now.

"Wonder if she found any of the poems, Ares? You think?" She mumbled to the wolf, who had jumped up next to her on the bed and was curled up against her side contentedly. "Nah..I'm sure she's way too busy for that... she doesn't really have time for that stuff, right?" She sighed ruefully. "I'm the dreamy eyed romantic one of this partnership." Which.. was understandable.. and she had come to accept and appreciate her partner’s coolly logical mind and pragmatic sensibilities.

She rolled over, and pulled her scroll case from the small table on the side of the bed, and opened it, taking out her diary and a quill. As she pulled the diary out, a small object fell out onto the bed, and she stared at it.

A small wooden bear stared back at her, seated, it's tiny legs outstretched, and it's front paws clasped in front of it. Clutched in the paws was a tiny, dried sprig of buds, which sent up to her the vaguest scent of summer.

"Oh." She breathed softly, taking the object up in gentle fingertips and studying it. "That's so adorable." She grinned, and caught her lip between her teeth. "Just when I think I have her figured out... " Lifting the bear to her lips, she gave it a kiss, then settled him down on the bed's uneven surface, and opened her diary, reveling in the warm happiness that settled over her.

She wrote steadily for several minutes, smiling a little at her words and stealing the occasional glance at her silent ursine companion. Ares lifted a curious head, and sniffed the bear, then gave it a solitary lick, and went back to sleep, with a little sigh.

All right.. so it's what, one full day now? I already miss her so bad it's making my teeth hurt. Is that the dumbest thing ever, or what? I keep wondering what she's doing..if she's punched Iolaus yet.. did they find shelter last night.. I hope so. I'd hate to think of her sleeping out in that weather, though we've both done it before.

This is silly. We're two adults. We should be able to spend a couple of days away from each other without behaving like a pair of lovesick kids. Right? Sure. So that's why I tuck little notes away for her, and why I get surprises like my cute friend here. Am I a woman, or am I just a stuffed cuddly mush toy? Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. Guess that answers that.

I love her. I guess I can put that down a thousand times in this diary, and I'll never get tired of seeing it.. or shaping the words She loves me. And knowing that means more to me than anything else ever has. Or ever will.

Now it's time for me to switch gears, and change from warrior to bard, from teaching a weapon skill to teaching history through my stories. The challenge is making as big of an impact with words as with wood. I think I enjoy the challenge.

After a bit, she sat back and reread her entry, then blew gently on the damp ink, and let it dry. "All right. Ares.. let's go get some lunch, OK?" She ruffled the wolf's fur, and he raised his muzzle and nudged her. "Then you can go with us to the river. You'd like that right?"

"Roo." Ares agreed solemnly, as he rose and stretched, jumping off the bed and joining her at the door.


She entered the inn, blinking a little in the cool darkness, and made eye contact with Cyrene who waved her over. "Hi." Gabrielle smiled, and settled herself into the chair across from the innkeeper. "That's a really pretty shirt." And a new one, I think.. hmm…..

"Thanks, cutie." Cyrene laughed. "It's a new one.. Johan took pity on me."

Gabrielle's sense for intrigue sharpened, and she studied the older woman's face. "That was really nice of him." She drawled. "What the occasion?" Her eyes sparkled.

Got a pair of raised eyebrows from Cyrene. "None, that I know of.." She muttered. "Just being nice I guess..."

"Oh." The bard smiled knowingly. "I see." She pulled her bear from her belt pouch and set it on the table. "See what I found mysteriously tucked in with my scrolls?" Let's see if I can poke this out from another direction.

Cyrene reached over and picked the bear up, turning it in her fingers with a deep sigh. "Did she do this?"

The bard nodded. "Yep.. I didn't even know she could carve until we were home last time."

The innkeeper gave her head a little rueful shake. "She was just starting to.. do that when Cortese came." She studied the wooden bear. "Looks like she kept up the practice." Her eyes flicked up to Gabrielle's curiously. "What's the occasion?"

Gabrielle cupped her chin in her hands, and grinned. "None that I know of... just being nice, I guess." Her green eyes twinkled, as Cyrene caught the deliberate mimicking and blushed. Bullseye…. Ooo.. Gabrielle, when you are good, you are really bad. Bad bard.

"Gabrielle, you wipe those thoughts right out of your cute little head." The older woman scolded her, shaking a finger at the bard.

"What thoughts, mom?" Came the innocent reply. "I don't know what you're talking about." She stood up, and recaptured her bear. "I'm gonna go grab some bread for lunch.. "

And got about two steps, before Cyrene was hauling her down from behind. "What? I saw you out there all morning, you scamp. Sit down."

Agreeably, she complied, sitting down and leaning back in her chair, idly listening to the subdued hum of voices around her. The door opened, and Cait slipped in, spotting her and gliding across the wooden floor to her tableside. "Hey Cait.." The bard waved her towards a seat.

"Hello." Cait said, with her quiet smile, and settled herself. "That was a grand time. Thank you."

Gabrielle smiled back at her. "Anytime, Cait... it was a good workout for me, too." She looked up as one of the inn servers strolled over, with a large pot of something, and a few plates. "Whoa.. what's all that?"

The girl, Sophia, grinned. "I was told to bring this out.. I think it's your lunch." She set the covered pot down, and lifted the lid, stirring the contents and letting a delicious steam waft over the table. "Lamb stew, it is." She put down a loaf of bread. "Tuck in." She added cheerily, and sauntered away.

Gabrielle peered into the pot, and shook her head with a laugh. "She's overestimating my capacity, that's for sure. C'mon, Cait - give me a hand with this." She ladled a large portion into a bowl, and handed it over to the blond girl, then served herself an equal portion. They both took chunks of bread, and started eating.

"Gosh, this is good." Cait sighed. "I do like living with the Amazons, but their food's ever so bland." She glanced up at Gabrielle, who swallowed a mouthful and grinned.

"I know." She whispered. "Shh."

"Listen, I'm really sorry about the goat." Cait said, with a grave look. "And they really didn't mean to pull *all* the feathers out of that rooster's tail."

Gabrielle grinned. "Just some of them, huh?? Don't worry, worse things have been done to roosters around here." She commented wryly. "Any particular story *you* want to hear today?" She leaned forward and smiled. "Oh.. and I hear you tell a mean story yourself, by the way."

Cait grinned back at her. "It was a lovely subject." She spooned in a few more mouthfuls. "I like any kind of story.. though I do like to hear about battles." Her pale eyes found Gabrielle's shyly. "Everyone is terribly jealous of you, I'm afraid."

"Of me?" The bard questioned, gazing at her. "Why?"

Cait giggled. "Why? Oh.. well then.. let's see. You're a Amazon Queen, you're terribly lovely, you're simply the best with that staff, and you live with Xena." She snorted with laughter at Gabrielle's expression. "Did I leave anything out??" She paused. "You do blush, don't you."

The bard took a breath, and folded her arms across her chest, waiting for the heat in her face to subside a little. "Thanks, Cait." She muttered. "But... being a queen isn't always fun, I'd don't think I'm particularly good looking, I've got a lot to learn about that staff, and..." Here she paused. "Well, I wouldn't trade Xena for anything or anyone on earth." She blushed again.

Cait kept silent for a bit, then cleared her throat. "Someone once told me that... life is a very hard thing.. and that you go through all the rough bits to make the good bits all that much better. " She paused thoughtfully. "They said.. the brightest spot is having someone else to care for, who cares for you, and that will let you endure all the darkness in the world."

Gabrielle smiled to herself, and gave Cait a little nod. "That was a very wise person, Cait."

The girl looked up directly into her eyes, and grinned. "That was Xena."

The bard felt her breath catch. "Was it?" She breathed, then laughed softly. "Imagine that."

They finished lunch in relative quiet. "Cait, I'm just going to poke my head in to check how Eph is doing. Can you get the girls together, and we'll head off? I'll pick up some traveling bread to tide us over until dinner, OK?" The bard put a hand on the blond girl's shoulder. "I've decided to take you all up to a favorite place of mine." The quiet, hidden dell, where she could get them focused on her.

"Right." Cait smiled. "We'll meet you back here shortly then." She glided out of the room, and headed up the stairs, pausing on the landing and looking back. "You made them all need to take a nap, you know." And the girl winked a sober gray eye at her.

Gabrielle laughed to herself. Now I know how Xena feels. A little. She pushed the door to Ephiny's room open, and peeked in, seeing the healer Renaas at her bedside. The healer half turned, and put a finger to his lips, then rose, and moved towards her, backing her out into the inn and closing the door.

"She's sleeping… it looks better." Renaas said softly, giving her a smile. "Not that I had anything to do with it… she's a strong woman, and that mixture you've been giving her is nothing short of brilliant."

Gabrielle smiled. "Tell Xena when she gets back. It's her own stuff." She gave a sober nod. "I'm going to take the kids out for some lessons.. I should be back shortly after dark.. she'll be ok till then?"

Renaas nodded. "Sure.. I'll look in on her again.. and don't you worry. Get out and get some fresh air, while we have the weather for it. Gods only know how long this will last."

Several candlemarks later, she was outside the inn, gathering her little group up, and waving a wry goodbye to a relieved Cyrene. "Be back for late dinner, mom." She called.

"You'd better be." The innkeeper threatened. "I'd hate for this whole batch of cakes to go to waste."

"Ohhh…" The bard laughed. "Say no more.. we'll be here." She turned, and led the way out of the village, already starting on a story as they walked.


"You know Xena…' Iolaus commented, shifting to ease the strain on his back from very long hours in the saddle. "Not that I need it, right.. but oh say.. a stretch might be a good idea.. you know, in case we have to.."

Xena turned her head and looked at him, curving one eyebrow up. "Iolaus, it's ok to ask me to stop. I'm pushing on because we're trying to get to Hercules… I'm not trying to kill either of us." A pause. "OK?" She reined Argo in, and kicked loose of her stirrups, swinging a leg over the horse's arched neck and sliding to earth with a snort, bending her knees to take the impact of her body hitting the ground. "C'mon, Argo.. I hear a stream over there."

She walked the mare over to the trickling mountain stream, and dropped the reins, then seated herself against a nearby tree, and sighed. It was already dark, but they'd made very good time, and would be within visual range of the castle by dawn if they kept moving. Her eyes studied the stiffly walking Iolaus, and glinted with humor momentarily. Guess I didn't lose as much conditioning as I thought.. She mused idly. I feel pretty good.. guess all that running around hunting counted for something after all. She uncapped her waterskin and took a long pull, feeling the cold liquid sink down her throat and into her stomach, which, it suddenly reminded her, was mostly empty. "Hey Iolaus.." She called, rising to her feet and going to Argo's saddlebags.

"Ah.. yes?" The blond man ambled closer, putting his hands behind his head and rocking backwards. "Ouch." He hissed.

"Let's stop and eat something." The warrior commented, pulling a few bricks of trail food from her pack and tossing Iolaus one. She studied his face, then chewed her lip thoughtfully. "Listen.. let's make a fire, and rest for a while.. I'd like to keep going tonight, so we get there at dawn. You think you can do that?"

His pale eyes jerked up, and met hers. "Um… sure." Stuffing the bar in his mouth, he looked around. "Let me get some wood." He gathered dry kindling, while she carefully cut out a circle in the sparse turf, packing the ground down and handing him her flint and iron. "Here.. start that." She paused. "You like fish?"

"Fish?" Iolaus glanced up, a surprised look on his face. "Well.. sure.. I love them, but we really don’t have time to do any of.. Xena? What.. where are you… "

The warrior just walked away, heading towards the stream, and settling on a rock at it's side to pull her boots off, and twist her dark hair up out of the way. "Be right back." She cast him an amused look, and waded into the creek.

What on earth is she doing? Iolaus wondered. Maybe she's swimming. She seems like the kind of person who would like swimming, right? He watched her go still, and the dark head cock to one side, barely visible in the moonlight. Gentle pale beams caught the skin of her arms, then shivered into wild reflections as she moved, and he heard a splash, and then a chuckle.

Then she was wading back out, and holding up one hand, which was tangled in the gills of a large trout, flapping helplessly in her grasp. "Looks like dinner to me." She walked barefoot back over him, and deftly killed and cleaned the fish, then pierced the flesh with two sharp sticks and set it over the newly dancing fire to cook.

"Wow." Iolaus laughed, sitting down hard on the ground and regarding her. "You're quite the hunter, aren't you ?"

One dark eyebrow rose. "You forget.. I have to keep Gabrielle fed. Keeps my skills at a razor's edge." She rose and carefully buried the fish cleanings, then went back and pulled her boots back on, resettling the heavy armor with a swift thump. "If you want to put some water up, I've got some tea left. "

The blond man hauled himself to his feet, and retrieved the small water pot from Argo's pack, dipping it in the creek and returning to settle it near the heat, and resume his relaxed posture on the ground. Well… he mused. This isn't really so bad… I can't believe I was so intimidated by her.. must be old, bad memories. She's actually kind of OK.. "Hey Xena?"

"Mmm?" The warrior walked over, having washed her knife and hands in the creek, and settled down near him, reaching over and turning the fish a bit. "What?" She rested her elbows on her crossed knees, and turned her gaze towards him, watching the firelight flicker off his face.

"Um.. listen, I know we've.. kind of had our differences sometimes.. but I want you to know how much I appreciate you coming out here like this." He studied his hands, not able to meet those piercing blue eyes he knew were looking his way. "It means a lot to me, knowing I had somewhere to turn." Now he finally glanced up, and was captured by her smile.

"Iolaus… I'm glad you thought of me when you needed a f.. needed help, I mean." She changed course in mid sentence, knowing there was too much between them to talk of friendship. "I hope I can fix this… for your sake as well as his." She plucked the fish from the fire, and handed him his half, giving him a slab of bark to hold it over. "Here… it tends to fall to pieces."

Iolaus took the stick and bark, and began to chew on the fish thoughtfully. "Xena?" He stopped, after a few swallows, watching her pick pieces off her own portion, and put them in her mouth, a distracted look on her face.

"Huh?" The blue eyes snapped back into focus, and fastened on him. "Sorry.. just thinking." She gave her head a little shake, and blinked, letting a tiny, rueful grin cross her face. "What did you want?"

Iolaus hesitated. I want to know what you were just thinking about.. but I guess you won't tell me.. so.. "The castle is supported by a mining colony. That's how they make their living - the miners are conscripted from the surrounding villages, and taken to the pits.. if they misbehave, then they're taken to the dungeons." He stopped, fiddling with his now empty stick. " That's where Herc is." He finished quietly.

Xena considered this. "So.. the fastest way to get to him would be to get conscripted, then punch someone." She boiled his theory down to it's essentials.

"Well… " Iolaus chuckled in a surprised way. "Yeah.. I guess you could put it that way." He shrugged. "It took me forever to get into the castle.. I had to wait for a merchant train and sneak in with them. So… do you mind?"

"Mind being captured? Or punching someone?" Xena gave him a little grin. "I guess I can survive being press ganged.. and the punching thing I think I have down pat." She leaned back on her hands and sighed. "It's not a great plan, but it's a plan, and it's fast… I just hope we can figure out what to do with him once we're in there. What if.." She paused thoughtfully. "Iolaus, was there anything different about him? Other than the obvious, that is."

The blond man's brow creased. "Different.. hm…. He'd changed clothes.. had some soft leather stuff on, very dark. " He said, slowly. "Other than that.. no.. well, some jewelry.. that was strange, you know he doesn't go for that kind of thing usually."

Xena absorbed this in silence. "Interesting." She finally commented. "And you said he told you he'd found the place he was meant to be?"

Iolaus nodded mutely, watching the thoughts whirling obviously behind those intense eyes. "What.. do you know what's…" He broke off at her shaking head.

"No.. I'm just trying to think of what in Hades could cause that kind of personality change." The warrior replied with a sigh. "I don't know of any herbs.. or drugs.. "

"The dragon poison.." Iolaus ventured, seeing her scowl at the words. "No?"

"You two and your monsters." Xena sighed. "Not that I ever heard of.. it usually kills."

Iolaus considered that for a minute. "Well, he's half god…"

The warrior sighed. "Maybe… I don't know. We'd better get going though.." She glanced up at the prominent stars. "Glad the weather held."

Iolaus nodded, then started to rise, and hissed in pain. "Oh.. Gorgons." He gave Xena an apologetic look. "Not really used to riding…"

Xena regarded him, and let a half grin shape her mouth. "Iolaus, do you trust me?"

That got a long, long look back, from wary pale eyes. "Uh.. well… yes." Came the answer finally, doubtfully.

"Turn around." That low voice sent chills down his back, but he did what she asked, facing the path, and turning his back on the fire. And her. A faint sound of movement, then suddenly warm hands were clasping his shoulders and kneading with a fierce stregnth. "Yahh.. what… oh." He fell silent, as the pressure moved down his spine, sending little tingles across his body, followed by a relaxation of the tense soreness from the long day's riding. I can't believe I'm letting her do this… but it feels too good to stop. He felt Xena complete her task, then rest her hands briefly on his shoulders again.

"Better?" Quiet, matter of fact.

"Much." He answered honestly, turning his head to look at her. "Thanks."

"No problem." Xena clapped him on the back and stood up. "Let's get going."

They doused the fire, and carefully scattered the branches, then repacked the gear and mounted, heading their horses back towards the dim path heading ever upward.


"That was a lovely one.. can we have one more?" Sharra begged, as Gabrielle checked the rising moon. "I know it's late but.." She snuggled down into her thick cloak, and smiled, as the bard ducked her head in acquiescence. Well.. I said we'd be back after dark. It's not that late yet…

"All right.. one more, but then we have to go. It's late, and they're going to worry about us." Gabrielle scolded them, but settled back and stretched her legs out before her. "Have you heard the one about.." Her voice, slightly rough around the edges from use, carried over the dim, cool glen. She was enjoying the rapt attention of her small audience, and the opportunity to tell some of her partner's most heroic tales without having to face the pained eye rolling from their subject.

And the girls were eating up every word… she sensed a distinct glazed hero worship floating around the glade, and with a slightly guilty pleasure, indulged her own usually well hidden share of it. Not that she, more than anyone else, didn't know and understand her partner's faults, but…she shrugged and continued the story.

They had made a fire, and were seated in a circle around it, avidly listening to her weave stories and enjoying the solemnly quiet surroundings. The dell was an interesting place.. a round circle of trees that surrounded a depression in the ground, forming a kind of bowl. There were rocks to sit on, and a small trickling pool on one side which had cut into the limestone ground and made odd shapes around it's edge.

Gabrielle loved this place, it being a usual afternoon haunt for her and Xena, a place for them to sit in private solitude, just listening to the forest around them, and watching the light change. Right now, it was bare of leaves, winter setting the dry branches to rattling on each other, but that didn't diminish the wonderful atmosphere of peace. She knew Xena sometimes came here late at night, after her drills, and simply sat and looked up at the stars and she'd found handfuls of tiny wood shavings, no doubt from the warrior's carving work.

Finally, she wound the story to a close, and stifled a yawn. "That's all.. my voice is going." She smiled at them. "We'd better get back."

They put out the fire, and tidied up the area, chattering softly between themselves and gathering their stuff, then joined her at the small path which led up out of the bowl. "This is a great place." Elianas said, with a grin. "Do you come out here all the time?"

The bard motioned her to go up the path ahead of her, and stood easily, weight half resting on her staff as they did so. "In good weather, sure. I do.. um" She paused, then blushed a little. "We.. do all the time."

That got five knowing grins back, and she just waved them on. "Come on.. let's get moving." Kids. Her mind sighed. One track minds. Then she laughed at herself. Yeah.. sure.. and just exactly what were you thinking about at exactly that moment? Hmm?? The warm memories swirled around her, and she abandoned herself to them for a short time, remembering the pressure of arms around her, and the comforting presence of her absent soulmate.

Then she sighed deeply, sensing the subtle ache of their separation, and followed the girls out of the dell, and onto the narrow, tree shadowed path leading back to the village. Cait walked at her side, glancing from side to side with an easy alertness that put a smile on the bard’s face. Ares trotted off into the brush, sniffing at something, then moved out of sight.

The only warning they had was a rustling of dead leaves, and then a night mare of intent faces surrounded them, with arms reaching, and weapons brandished. Gabrielle backed up, and brought her staff up, catching the first of them soundly in the head, then swinging around to deal with the next, but felt the sudden burn of ropes as a net settled over her. Hades.. Her mind panicked, and she struggled hard against the net, lunging forward and slamming her staff against the man who was holding one end, and hearing him gasp and curse as he dropped to his knees.

Cait had whirled, and was trying to pull free from the two shadowy figures who had grabbed her, twisting and writhing, and putting several well placed kicks to good use. But the man to her left raised one arm, and slammed it against her head, and she went limp.

Gabrielle saw, and redoubled her efforts, but the straining against the rope and the multiplying hands around her were beginning to take their toll, and she made one last, desperate rolling move, seeing the club coming at her seconds too late to avoid it. "No…." Her voice cut off as the wood made contact with her skull.

The impact shook her to her very soul, and sent a wave of painful blackness over her senses.

Continued in Part 5


Back to The Bard's Corner