Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: None

Violence: None

Language: None

Spoilers: Not really. Just Gabrielle getting back something she thought she’d lost.

Other: This takes place somewhere after "Back in the Bottle". Comments may be made to TNOVAN@aol.com 

 

Amazon, Warrior…Bard

By T.Novan

 

I can see by looking at her, that she’s tired. Will she admit that? No. Still stubborn to the very end, even though we’ve been there and back. I laugh a little as I consider that, and stare down at the little fire I had fixed lunch over.

"Gabrielle what’s wrong?"

I turn to her and raise my brows in question. "Wrong? Nothing’s wrong."

"Un huh. That’s why you’re not doing that little rubbing between the eyes ‘thing’ you do when you’re upset." She settles back next to me, leaning against the log that I’m sitting on. Her hand comes to rest on my calf and I feel her run it up and down, in a soothing gesture.

I stop and consider the fact that my hand is perched right between my eyebrows before I even attempt to deny it. "Okay, I’m not upset." I drop my hand. "I’m just thinking."

"No. If you were thinking, you’d be rubbing the back of your neck instead."

"Xena!"

"Well you would. Now tell me what’s wrong."

"I want to get us a room tonight. I think you need to sleep in a real bed. Where it’s warm and safe." I lean over and place my hand on her belly. "You both do."

"We, umm, can’t…."

"Don’t say we can’t afford it. I know we can’t afford it." I sigh as I poke at the fire a little. "I’m not doing a very good job of…."

"Oh don’t even say it Gabrielle." She twists around and growls at me just a little. "Don’t go blaming yourself because we’re low on money at the moment."

"We didn’t have this problem when I was telling stories."

"Gabrielle things change. We’ll manage. We always do."

"Yeah," I slide down next to her and rest my hand on her arm. "But it’s not just the two of us anymore. We have someone else to consider now."

She looks down and nods as she runs her hand over her stomach. "Some truth to that I suppose."

"Undeniable evidence I think." I smile as I lean against her. "Let me get this fire put out so we can head for town. Tonight, my friend, you sleep in a real bed."

As I get up and douse the fire I hear her groan just a little. I look down and offer her my hand to help her to her feet.

"Thanks." She grins at me as she stands and stretches. Then she looks down. "Gabrielle?"

"Yeah?"

"Will I ever see my feet again?"

I laugh as I pour more water on the fire and nod. "You know you will."

"I have my doubts." She teeters back and forth just a bit. "I think they’re gone for good."

"Come on," I wrap my arm around her waist and lead her to the horses. "You definitely need a bed tonight. You’re getting punchy."

"No, just fat."

"I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you’re beautiful."

"You’re biased."

"Maybe just a little." I offer with a grin as I hold my thumb and finger apart just a bit.

"Just a little?" She mimics the grin and the action.

"Okay maybe a lot."

"Un-huh." She takes Argo’s reins as I take up the reins of my own horse. " Let’s walk for a bit. I can use the exercise and I think Argo’s getting tired of packing me around." Argo snorts and nods. The mare gives her a little nudge on the shoulder as we start down the road. "Gee thanks a lot pal. It’s a good thing Gabrielle loves me."

"Yeah, but I’m not carrying you around either." I laugh as I duck her hand.

"Watch it amazon. I’m not going to be this way forever."

"Ah now you’re catching on." I turn around and grin again.

It’s nice to play a little. It finally feels like we’re getting past everything that has happened. We’re closer than ever and I love every moment of it.

We arrive in the next village early in the evening. As we stable the horses and remove their tack, she gives me a nudge. "You know sleeping in here tonight wouldn’t be too bad. At least it’s warm and dry."

"Nope. Your morning nausea is bad enough without you having to deal with the smell of manure too."

"Oh that could be ugly."

"I’m not willing to risk it. I promised you a bed tonight and by Zeus you will have one."

"Oh yes ma’am." She laughs a little as she begins brushing Argo.

"Can you do him too?" I gesture to mine as he wanders into his stall.

"Absolutely."

"Okay I’ll be back soon." I leave Xena to tend to the horses and make my way over the local inn.

I stop outside the door and take a deep breath before going in. By the Gods it’s been a long time. Inside I find it to be a busy place. This is good. Making my way to the counter an older man looks me over then steps forward.

"What can I do for you?" He crosses his arms against his chest.

"Do you have any rooms?"

"Yeah I got rooms. Six dinars a night."

"Don’t suppose you’d be willing to make a trade?"

He quirks a brow and then leers. "Trade? What kind of trade?"

Oh please save me from idiots. "Not what you’re thinking that’s for sure. I’m a bard."

"Really. You don’t look like a bard."

I glance at my clothes and nod. "Yeah I know I probably don’t, but trust me on this one, I am. I’d be willing to trade an evening of stories for a room."

"You any good?"

"I used to be. I tell some pretty good stories about Xena."

He laughs at me. "Yeah right. The only one who tells good stories about Xena is her traveling companion. A little bard named Gabrielle I think was her name."

"Hate to break this to you, but I’m the little bard."

"Then where’s Xena?"

"Stabling our horses."

"The bard walks."

"The bard learned better. Look, quit jerking my chain here and just tell me if it’s a deal." I growl as I consider going over the counter and pummeling him senseless. Satisfying, but not very bard like.

"Okay. It’s a deal." He turns around and retrieves a key. "Even of you’re lying a little entertainment around here wouldn’t be a bad thing."

I snatch the key from his hand before he has a chance to change his mind. "Thanks so much."

 

With our gear stowed and a small meal eaten, I take a deep breath as I prepare to go take the stage for the first time in a very long time.

I feel her hands on my shoulders and let my head drop back. "Yes?"

"You’re gonna be great."

"Un-huh."

She turns me around to face her and smiles as she places my hands on her stomach. "We have faith in you."

"Ooooo I knew there was a reason I loved you."

She wraps an arm around my shoulders and opens the door to our room. "Come on, let’s go down and let you entertain the masses."

"Un-huh."

"Hey you need the practice anyhow."

"Why?"

"Who do you think is gonna tell this child stories?" She lifts a brow. "I stink like Joxer’s radish stew when it comes to telling stories."

I take a deep breath and resign myself to my fate. "Let’s go."

We make our way downstairs. The placed is really crowded. Great, just great.

"You’ll be fine." She whispers as she pats my back and gives me a little shove, before taking a seat in a corner. I smile as I watch her settle in with her back against the wall. Some things never change.

I order two mugs of juice, one for myself and one for Xena. Fingering mine, I make my way to the small stage. A long sip of the juice and I take a deep breath.

"My name is Gabrielle and I travel with Xena, the Warrior Princess…." The room goes quiet and I know I’ve got them already.

Maybe we’ll spend a few days here.

End


Return to The Bard's Corner