DISCLAIMERS:

Violent Content Warning: This story does contain scenes of a violent nature.

Alternative Content Warning: This story also contains scenes of an alternative nature between two women. This story is not for those under the age of eighteen.

Uber Warning: This story is an uber. The two characters are based off of the leading ladies of XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS.

Author’s Notes: This is my fourth installment of my series Arresting Behavior. All POSITIVE comments are welcome. Negatives I will simply ignore. Send your thoughts to startrek@ellijay.com

 

 

Arresting Behavior-Rookie Year

Part 4

"Growing Pains"

 

"Zena." I couldn’t help it, one tear slid down my face. Her blue eyes filled with hope that I would accept. "I....Are you sure?" I couldn’t help but feel I led her into this. "If this is about earlier...."

"No Gabrielle." She smiled. "I thought about what I wanted and this is it. I want you to be my wife." No sweeter words could have come from her mouth. "Gabrielle Taylor, will you marry me?" Oh what the hell.

"Yes." I smiled. "Gods yes." I barely contained the emotions I was feeling as she slipped the ring onto my finger, the stone matched her eyes. It was perfect. I wrapped my arms around her.

"I love you." she whispered from my shoulder. "Maybe Tori will get the hint now." she chuckled as she tenderly let me go to wipe the fresh tears from my eyes.

"Why do I deserve you?" I whispered, caressing her cheek.

"You deserve as much love as you can get. I never will able to give you all you deserve, but I’m gonna spend the rest of my life trying." My heart was going to burst from joy, I was sure of it.

 

I felt a strange mix of emotions after I proposed. When my dad said he was terrified of asking Mom, I always thought it was the fear of lifetime commitment. However, the only fear I felt was the fear of rejection. I flipped through our second family photo album, the one with all of my dad’s police photos, and mine as well. Last week I added another face in this book, Gabby’s. Her pictures of her graduating class and her in the cadet uniform came in the mail, finally. I suddenly realized when I put those into the album, they are the first professional photos of Gabby I had ever seen. Sure I’ve got several rolls of her, Ares, and me goofing off in the park. Jenny and Cameron took them. The 8x10 on the mantle is my favorite. It was taken at the zoo during Gabby’s phase break. I remember when it was taken....

"I’m beat." I said collapsing onto the set of steps nearest me.

"Big baby." Jenny laughed. "We’re not even to the elephant corral yet. Gabby took pity on me. She dropped onto the lower step, sitting between my legs and leaning back.

"I am too. I don’t get this much exercise at Hancock." she chuckled. Cameron aimed the camera at us suddenly. I wrapped my arms around Gabby and whispered,

"Smile." She looked up and smiled. For the split second, I smiled too. That alone almost gave Jenny a heart attack. I’m not known for my friendly demeanor around cameras.

 

Now I have that picture on the mantle, in my wallet, and on my desk at work. "Hey." She actually startled me. "I’m sorry." She sat down next to me and looked over. "Hey I’m in there." she smiled, looking at her cadet picture.

"Of course you are." I smiled. I flipped the page. My dad’s sergeant picture, right next to mine from last year.

"You’ve got his eyes." Gabby smiled.

"Yep and his personality. Mom’s only 5’ 4" or so. So I guess that’s where I got my height too."

"Hey there’s nothing wrong with 5’ 4" That’s exactly how tall I am." she smiled. My smile faded as my gaze went to the next page.

"Dad, Mom, and me. 1975..... I was five." I said, trying hard not show what I was feeling. Her arm came around me.

"You miss her don’t you?"

"Why?" I said a little harshly. "She walked out on me, made my dad’s life miserable, and told me I was not her daughter anymore."

"That’s not what I asked, Baby." she said quietly. I sighed and bit my lip.

"Yes. I miss her, Gabby. I loved my mom." I sniffed, blinking back the tears.

"Call her."

"I can’t. She told me not to."

"That was ten years ago, Ze."

"Maybe."

"If not for yourself, do it for me. After all I am gonna be a part of your family. I’d like to know what I’m getting into."

 

Wordlessly, I got up from the couch and moved to the desk my computer sat on. I pulled out my leather book of phone numbers. I sat down next to her and she smiled, handing me the phone. There it was. The number I only called on Christmas. "My grandparents don’t care too much for me either after Mom told them I was gay." I said as I dialed the number.

"Hello?"

"Grandma?"

"Zena?....Oh my lord, child how are you?"

"I’m fine, Grandma. How are you?"

"Oh I’m getting along okay. I’m afraid Stan is gonna have to go to a home soon. I can’t care for him anymore."

"I’m sorry. Do you need any money or...."

"No, no. We’re fine. Sweetie I’d wish you’d call more often."

"I’ve been busy. I umm met someone."

"You did? That’s nice dear. Are you still skin and bones?" I cringed at how easily she

changed the subject. Same old Grandma.

"No. I eat. Listen the reason I called is I wanted to speak to Mom."

"Zena, she got married two years ago to a fella in Oregon. I haven’t seen Katie since my last birthday, Dear. I can give you their number if you want that."

"Okay." I listened carefully and jotted down the number she gave me. "Alright thanks."

"You call me more often you little scamp." Sigh.

"Yes, I will. Bye." I hung up with my hands shaking. "She got married and she lives in Oregon. This is her number."

"Well go for it."

"Okay." I carefully dialed the number because I was NOT doing this twice, all or nothin’.

"Hello?" A male voice answered.

"Hi, can I speak to Katie?"

"Can I ask who’s calling?"

"Zena Walker."

"Holy shit." Not exactly the reaction I was looking for, but at least he didn’t hang up. "I mean...excuse me for the language, just surprising. You’re Katie’s daughter right?"

"Yes I am."

"She’s told me a lot about you. I’m so sorry you guys haven’t spoken."

"Me too. That’s why I’m calling." Well the husband likes me. It can’t be all that bad.

"Ohhhh. I understand. I’m Josh Biggins, Katie’s husband. Its nice to meet you, Zena." How did a guy like this fall for my mom? I guess she attracts good guys.

"Likewise, Sir."

"Well here’s Katie." I swallowed hard and took Gabby’s hand. I needed her strength.

 

"Zena?"

"Mom?" I said shakily. I could hear the emotion in her voice as well. Maybe this was a good idea.

"Hey, Honey. Are you okay?"

"Just fine. I had to tell you something."

"Well tell me." she said softly. Gabby reached over and wiped the tears I didn’t realize were there. I’ve turned into mush within the last half hour.

"The last time I told you something, we didn’t speak for ten years, Mom."

"I’m sorry, but I’ve finally gotten my life back together."

"What about the life you left behind?"

"Zena, I don’t want to leave you behind. I hope you know that."

"Coulda fooled me." I said, trying to keep my rising anger in check.....for Gabby.

"Honey, tell me."

"I met someone I love very much and I’m getting married."

"Oh that’s great. When can I meet him?"

"I told you I was a lesbian."

"Well I just thought you might have...grown out of that."

 

 

"Grown out of it?" I said, not believing what I was hearing. "Its not a phase Mom. That’s exactly what Dad said! Why do you always push me down like that!! What I feel isn’t wrong!"

"Hey." Gabby rubbed my shoulder. "Calm down." she whispered.

"Zena, you know my beliefs on this matter."

"And you know mine." I spat. I came very close to throwing phone across the room.

That’s how I broke a cordless in our last conversation.

"Do you want me in your life, Zena? Or did you just call to update me?" she said quietly.

"I don’t know what I want, Mom." Another set of tears.

"Well let me tell you something Zena Diane Walker. I never stopped loving you. I know I treated you like crap and I’m sorry. I was hoping that tough love would break this ‘gay’ thing, but when I finally realized you weren’t going to call back and say ‘I was wrong’, your father died. Despite what you may believe Zena, I loved James with everything that I was, but I couldn’t take the hours, the waiting, the worry. I wasn’t strong enough."

"Why did you leave me behind? You never cared enough to get joint custody. When I was growing up, I needed you."

"I know. Oh Zena, you were daddy’s little girl. You were gonna be just as beautiful and strong as your daddy." I recognized the quote from my childhood. I used to brag in school about my Dad. Gabby stood up and swung my legs onto the couch. Settling my head on a pillow, she left me alone with my conversation. "Taking you away from him, would’ve killed you. You know that. I could never compete with the excitement you had in your eyes everytime you’d run through the house playing cops and robbers."

"You knew I’d be a female version of him." I said quietly.

"Exactly Honey. Then I’d be right back to square one worrying about you."

"That still doesn’t make it right."

"I know. I’ll regret the decisions I made with you for the rest of my life."

"Two years. You guys got married around the time Dad died didn’t you?"

"Yes Sweetheart, about three months after, but I was engaged to him for six months before then."

"Why didn’t you talk to me when I called to tell you he died?"

"I was so broken for the longest time, Zena. I was hurt. Zena, I lost the only link to our

family."

"What are you talking about?"

"Ever since I left, your dad sent me pictures and letters about you. Even called a few times a year......Didn’t he tell you?"

"No he didn’t." Why would he keep that from me?

"Oh yes. I have the picture of you with the red Escort he bought you for your sixteenth birthday, your prom pictures in that beautiful black dress. I bet him three hundred dollars he couldn’t get you to wear it, you big tom boy." I smiled.

"No wonder he was so insistent. He bought me a limo ride if I’d go." I heard her light laugh.

"Do you still live in L.A?"

"Yeah."

"The software company Josh works for is based there. He’s taking a business trip next week. If its alright with you and....ummm. What is her name anyway?"

"Gabrielle."

"Pretty name. Well I thought we’d swing down and visit."

"Hold on." I didn’t cover the receiver as I called, "Baby.......Come here." I covered the phone. "She wants to visit next week."

"Is that good or bad?" Gabby asked.

"That’s what I was going to ask you."

"Well, I’ll support whatever you say, Babe. I can stand her for awhile." she joked.

"Okay. Its alright I guess. We have different shifts but I can take some vacation time."

"Great." I proceeded to give her the complicated directions to our home. "I’m sure Josh’s driver can find it. He’s from L.A. I’ll see you then Sweetie."

"Bye Mom."

 

Man, that sure was fast. One conversation and I’m going to see my mom face to face. "Gonna be interesting huh? You haven’t seen her since you were six. Think you’ll recognize her?"

"Yeah. I’m sure I can."

 

Many things were going around in my head. What would Mom look like? What will she think of me? A pain started in my leg. I rubbed my thigh and trying to relieve it.

"Mmmm." I moaned. I tried flexing my foot, pulling my calf muscle. Gabby sat up.

"What is it?" I squeezed my eyes shut against a sudden sharp pain.

"My leg." She pulled back the comforter, exposing my boxer clad hips.

"Did you bang it?" She rubbed my upper thigh.

"Not that I know of." I winced.

"Maybe we should see Danny tomorrow." I was in no condition to argue. "Here." She grabbed a bottle of aspirin from the night stand. "Take these."

"Thanks."

"Sure." She kissed me softly on the cheek. "Goodnight."

 

 

Man, I hate doctor’s offices. They smell like hospitals, another dislike of mine. Zena was fine when she woke up and insisted on going to work, but I forced her to use a sick day.

"Zena Walker." Finally...I hate waiting too. She was not limping in the slightest. So I knew that whatever it was, it wasn’t serious.

"Hey Zena, Gabby." Danny greeted. "What’s the problem, Stretch?" Zena smirked at her.

"My left leg. It keeps cramping up on me at night." Danny motioned. Zena shook her head. I had to grin. It was too funny.

"Drop ‘em." Zena unbuttoned her Levi’s and kicked off her Nike’s. She slid her jeans off her hips, revealing cotton Hanes Her Ways. She must have known that she was going to be asked to drop her pants. I would have died if she had on her boxers with smiley faces and the sunglasses . Zena turned to see my smile and decided to use my face as her clothes rack.

"Hold these for me. Would ya?" I still laughed as I removed them from my face.

 

She hopped up onto the table. "Why is there paper on here anyway?"

"Why are you such a difficult patient?" Danny quipped.

"Ahhh you’ve had worse."

"Not by much. Lie down for me." Ze complied. "Your left thigh?"

"Yeah."

"That’s the thigh that took that bullet." She tenderly examined the scar that marked the spot. "What kind of pain are you having? Is it centered in your thigh or your whole leg?"

"Sometimes its just my thigh. Most of the time a pain just shoots down to my toes."

"Well, it could be several things. Overexertion of the muscles from overwork, scar tissue has built up, or it could be a pinched nerve." She rubbed her hand above the scar, on the scar, and below it. Zena’s leg jumped.

"Ahhhh." she winced.

"I’m sorry. Does your foot ever fall asleep after you feel pain?"

"No. My toes tingle a bit."

"I’m going to prescribe some muscle relaxers and see if that helps. If not, we’ll take more serious measures. Okay hop up Zena." Zena was more than happy to get off of the examining table. She stepped into her jeans as Danny wrote out something. "Take this prescription once a day. Give it a week or so. If it doesn’t help, come back."

"I’ll have to have surgery if its a pinched nerve right?"

"Probably, but its not major. They’ll just open up your thigh where the bullet entered."

"Thanks, Danny."

"Bye guys. Take care."

 

I was terrified. I hated the idea of another surgery. My first major operation was three years ago. I remember the agony of being in the hospital. I was there for several weeks before I was well enough to go home. "You okay?" Gabby asked as I drove us home.

"Fine. Just thinkin’."

"About?"

"Hospitals. Hate’em." I smiled.

"I know what ya mean. I hate to just set foot in one." She looked at me intently. "Baby, it may be just a pulled muscle or something."

"I know." I wasn’t entirely convinced of that. The pain was pretty intense for a simple muscle pull. I couldn’t ignore the fact that it was the same leg that the bullet passed through. I pulled into the driveway and wordlessly headed into the house.

 

"Ze, why don’t we both lie down and take a nap." I rubbed my hand over my eyes.

"Alright." I slipped out of everything, but my briefs and slid into bed. Gabby pulled my head over to rest on her shoulder. She gently stroked my back until I was lulled to sleep.

 

"Thompson, head around the corner and keep after him, I’ll double back for her."

"Alright." I watched my partner take off. I slowly and cautiously made my way back towards the point where I lost sight of the female. Just as I turned the corner, I was propelled onto my back.

"Ohhhhhhhh!" I was writhing as I felt like my chest was on fire. I rubbed my palm across my side, blood. "Ohhh gods." I breathed as the reality finally sunk in. I was shot. This sinister laugh came from the woman I had been chasing , as she ran from the scene. I willed my arms to work through the blinding pain. After two attempts, I was able to grab my radio from my shoulder. It was dark. There was no way my partner was going to be able find me if I didn’t call. "David." I said weakly, praying he would hear me.

"Zena?.....Zena, what’s your 20? I’ve got the suspect." My lung was damaged. I started to gag on my own blood.

"David......I’m down."

"Oh Jesus! WHERE ARE YOU?" he panicked. I remember feeling a cool breeze blow over me and blackness.

 

"Ahhhhh." I sat up quickly and looked around, expecting to see a dark alley.

"Ze, what’s wrong?" I looked at her with panicky eyes. "Hey." she soothed. "It was dream." I slowly began to realize I was in my bedroom. I ran my fingers through my hair and layed back down. "Wanna tell me about it?"

"I’m fine." I know she wasn’t convinced. So, I decided on another tactic, I let her hold me. I placed my head on her chest and wrapped myself around her. She was content to give me my comfort.

 

I dreaded going to work, but after tomorrow my vacation time starts. I have a lot of days accumulated. I haven’t taken any days except for mine and Gabby’s hospital time and four personal days this year. I was praying Tori would not flirt with me today because I was really not in the mood for it. When lunch came, I walked down the hall to our break room and grabbed a Pepsi. "I can shoot circles around you bums." Burns boosted. I walked over.

"Gloating again old man?" I smiled.

"Oh you punks think you can out shoot me? Care to make a wager?" They were referring to the L.A shoot out coming up next month. Anyone in the LAPD, can sign up for the target shooting competition.

"No thanks. I’m not entering this year." I said as I popped open my soda.

"Why not?" Sanders asked. "You’re good."

"Yeah, but I just don’t feel like it."

"Well, guess I’ll win then." Burns smiled.

"Better be lucky my girlfriend works for Santa Monica. She’s a crack shot. She’d wipe the floor with you sorry pansies" I took a gulp of soda.

"Oh yeah?" Burns asked.

"Yep. 98.9 accuracy rate."

"Whoa."

"Yeah. Gabby can shoot a flea off a dog’s back at 100 yards." I smiled.

"She doin’ the SMPD shoot out?"

"Don’t know didn’t ask her. Probably."

"Alright Ladies," the captain slurred as he entered the room, "and Zena." I knew that was coming. "This isn’t a pow wow. Criminals don’t come to us...."

"We go to them." we finished in unison. I hated that lame line.

 

Luckily I was on vacation after this afternoon. I was in my cruiser for a grand total of three hours. I feel like I was ran over by a steamroller. My eyes drooped from that medicine I took. I can barely stay awake to do my evaluations. My entire leg was throbbing. I reached for my phone. "Hello?"

"Gabby. It’s me." I said tiredly as I rubbed my eyes. "Are you busy?"

"No why?"

"Can you pick me up, Sweetheart? My leg hurts and I’m tired." I sighed as Tori took a seat on my desk. I glared at her, but she simply smiled.

"I’ll be right down, Baby. You need anything?"

"Just you."

"Alright. I’ll see you in a few."

"Alright, Bye."

"That the little woman?" Tori smiled. "I could have given you a ride home."

"No thanks." I said as politely as I could for the moment. Her smile faded.

"You know Zena, ever since we kissed I’ve been getting some negative vibes from you."

Noooooo? "Are you pissed at me or something?" I stood on trembling legs and began to hobble out of CRASH. "I know you felt it, Zena."

"Felt what?" I asked agitated.

"The connection when we kissed. It felt....right, meant to be. Didn’t it?"

"Not from my end." I said softly as I waved to Ellie at the desk. I opened the front door and stepped out into the slightly chilly air. Tori gripped my arm gently.

"Zena, I.....think I’m in....."

"Don’t!...say it." I finished. "Gabby is my fiancee, Tori. My future wife. Now I value you as a friend, but you get this through your head, I have the love of my life and its not you."

"Zena, you need experience, not some naive kid."

"You don’t know what I need." I spat. "You try to come between us....." I trailed off. I waved her off and headed to the side of the building. Tori didn’t follow.

 

 

My heart broke when I saw Ze sitting on the bench. She looked pitiful. I smiled and she got up and climbed into the jeep. She pushed the seat back as far as it would go and straightened her leg out with a moan. "You okay?" I asked as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"Yeah. Just tired and achy." She managed a smile for me.

"Your mom left a message on the machine while I was taking a nap."

"What did she say?" she asked as she leaned her head back on the headrest.

"She’s coming tomorrow instead of next week."

"WHAT?"

"Is that a bad thing? I could call her back."

"No, just surprising."

 

Zena almost fell asleep in the jeep on the way home. Guess those relaxers put her to sleep. I managed to get her into the house and get her into bed. It was actually cute that she stood half asleep in front of me and let me undress her and put her in her flannel pajama bottoms, leaving the shirt off of course. Keeps me warm at night.I tucked her in and went into the bathroom and changed for work.

"Ze?"

"Mmmmm."

"I’ll be home before eleven. Okay?"

"Mmmm. Love you." she whispered. I leaned down and kissed her cheek.

"Get some sleep, Babe." I could tell she was out cold before I left the room.

 

 

"Are you kidding?" I said exasperated. "I’m scared shitless."

"Why?" Randy asked.

"Because...its Zena’s mom and she isn’t too thrilled that Ze is gay."

"Oh I gotcha. Just do what I do when I meet the in-laws."

"What’s that?"

"Don’t make eye contact and say no more than six words at a time." I laughed when he winked at me.

"I hate this woman with a passion for what she did to Ze. If Zena forgives her, am I supposed to?"

"No. You just have to accept it the best ya can. After all, Zena’s worth it. Right?"

"No doubt." I said quietly as we patrolled around the strand. We had only two calls tonight. I just hope I can hang in here for a few more hours.

 

 

I parted company with Randy at the station and headed home. I wasn’t surprised when I

heard silence in the house. It was ten forty-five. I was almost startled when I opened the bedroom door to find Ze watching TV. "Hey." she smiled as I put my gun belt on the night stand.

"Hey. Leg better?"

"A little."

"Take another pill?"

 

"No, they don’t work." she said quietly staring at the television.

"Well give ‘em more time, Sweetie." After clearing it of my nameplate,collar pins, and badge, I unbuttoned my uniform shirt and tossed it into the corner. Zena looked over at the sound of velcro and watched me remove my vest.

"How was your shift?"

"Quiet. Thought I was gonna talk Randy’s ear off." I smiled.

"Why do you always take off your shirt and bra before your shoes?"

"That’s a strange observation. You really pay close attention to me don’t you?"

"Yep." She watched me as I removed my uniform and slipped into one of her workshirts and a pair of her silk boxers. She loves it when I wear her clothes. I root through her drawers for nightwear pretty often. I knew what she’s thinking. Sexy was the word she always used when I was in her clothes. I love the smell, Cool Ice and Ze.

"What are you doing up?"

"I slept till about an hour ago. Nerves are kickin’ in." she said nervously.

"I know it must be weird Ze, but I think she going to love seeing you, too."

"Ya think?" Ze asked hopefully.

"Sure." I crawled into bed and confiscated the remote, turning off the television. "Now go to sleep."

 

I expected as much. Ze tossed and turned all night. Partly because of her mom and every now and then, she would shift her leg in pain. I was getting genuinely worried now. She’s hurting. I need to get her to go back to Danny’s office. I think she’s terrified to find out what’s really wrong. I know I am. I know I’m to blame for her suffering, but I would never voice it. If she hadn’t faced down Jenkins defending me, she would have never gotten shot.

We both gave up sleep around seven. I had no idea what time Katie was coming. Frankly, I’m scared to death to meet this woman. "I’m gonna run down to the store and get some Hot Ice for my leg." she said grabbing her keys.

"Baby, I’ll go get it for you."

 

"Nah. I wanna get some fresh air. Wanna come with?"

"No I better stay here in case your mom calls."

"Alright. I’ll be back in twenty. Love you."

"Love you too. Be careful." I called.

 

Knock. Knock. Uggg. Right in the middle of the car chase too. I got up from the sofa and nonchalantly opened the door. When I did, I suddenly realized this was Zena’s mom. She was my height with dark graying hair. The facial features they shared were unmistakable.

"Hi, I’m Katie Biggins. I’m looking for Zena Walker."

"Uh come on in." I said after another second of staring. She stepped through the door.

"Zena went down to the store, she’ll be back in a few minutes."

"Great." Katie said, glancing around the house. "Who are you?"

"Oh I’m sorry. I’m Gabby Taylor." I extended my hand and to my surprise she didn’t take it. She simply nodded. "Zena’s girlfriend." I finished quietly.

"Why don’t you go on home, Honey." She plastered on a fake smile. "My daughter and I have a lot of catching up to do."

"Uhhhhh, I live here."

"Oh." she rolled her eyes. I took a seat in Ze’s recliner. If the bitch wants to sit down, she knows where the couch is. I returned angrily to CHiP’s. Man, I missed the crash.

 

I heard Zena come in. Her mother stood from the couch and they locked eyes. Instant recognition spread across their faces. I pretended to not be there. "Your taller than your dad." she said quietly. Zena said nothing. She simply was in shock. When Katie opened her arms, only then did she move. Ze wrapped her arms carefully around her mother. There were no tears on either side, they just held each other for a moment. "Zena, you are so beautiful." She stroked Ze’s cheek and smiled. ‘There’s the only thing we’ll agree on you old bag.’ I growled to myself.

"You’ve met Gabby?" she turned to me and I stood. Its so sweet the first sentence to come out of Ze’s mouth had my name in it.

"Yes." Zena proudly took my hand and interlaced our fingers. For additional claiming, I wrapped my arm around her waist. "This must be the love of your life." she smiled, now anyway. I know a bigit when I see it.

"Yes. We’re getting married."

"What?" Hah! That took her by surprise.

"Yep." Zena dropped into her chair and pulling me down to sit on the armrest. Her mother retook her seat on the couch.

"What is it that you do, Gabby?"

"I’m a police officer. I work for Santa Monica Police Department."

"That’s nice." I could hear the disapproval in her voice. Man, she just doesn’t like cops.

 

 

Gabby left to get some sleep, claiming I kept her up all night. Mom and I talked and talked...and talked. I could tell she didn’t like the idea of me being gay very much. She uses the term Homosexual. I hate that word. I prefer Gay or Lesbian any day. "Honey, why are you marrying that....child?"

"She’s twenty-three Mom."

"Don’t give me that. She looks eighteen to me."

"No really, she’s twenty-three and...I love her."

"Honey, I just wish you wouldn’t."

"Why?" I asked quietly.

"Because your father never would want you too."

"What? No, that’s not true. Dad accepted that I was gay before he died. He loved me no matter what. I just wish you would."

"I do love you. That’s why I wish you’d marry a man. Look, why don’t we drop this topic for now okay?" I said nothing.

 

It was around four when Gabby woke up. She offered to cook us dinner in which I agreed. I was too tired to argue. Gabby made one on my favorites, nacho chili fries. I noticed Gabby was very uncomfortable throughout the meal. She never said a word. I decided to fix dessert. So I left the two of them alone to let them get aquatinted.

 

"Gabby, I don’t have a clue what my daughter sees in you." she blurted as I got up from the table. I narrowed my eyes as I crossed into the living room, opting to say nothing.

"What have you got against me anyway?" I said not being able hold in my comments.

"I don’t know how you got Zena so brainwashed, but she is not marrying you."

"Says who?"

"Says me. She’ll do what I tell her to do."

"Ha. She just met you a few hours ago and you think she’s going to listen to you?" I smirked.

"I’m her mother, Gabby."

"Then act like it damn it. Love her for who she is instead of trying to change her."

"She doesn’t know who she is...."

"And you do?" I asked increduously. "You haven’t been her mother in thirteen years."

"I’m warning you Gabby. I want Zena to be a part of my family again and she doesn’t need you....."

"Listen, I don’t a damn who the hell you think you are. I’m gonna knock the shi......" Zena suddenly stepped into the living room with her dessert. She looked at my angered expression and back to her mom.

"Everything okay?" I answered by moving into the bedroom, glaring at Katie the entire way. I listened carefully and heard Ze’s voice. "What did you say to her?"

"Nothing honey. She just said she wasn’t sure she wanted to marry you or not and....Zena...."

 

Zena stepped into our room. "Baby, that’s not true. That’s not what I said. I didn’t say anything. She said she didn’t want us to get married."

"Why would she say that?"

"Because she wants you to get rid of me to be a part of her family again."

"That’s ridiculous Gabby." What? Something tells me she doesn’t believe me.

"You don’t believe me do you? Zena, she doesn’t accept us."

"She told me she did. Why are you saying this?" She was clearly upset.

"Its true. Ze, she’s telling me one thing and telling you another. She’s a two faced bitch. For the first time, Ze stepped into my face. Glaring down at me with anger blazing deep into those eyes. I was, for a split second, scared of her.

"Don’t come between us Gabby. Just because you don’t like her doesn’t mean you can say that."

"Get outta my face, Zena." I said coldly. She didn’t comply. "You better get away from me before we both do something we’ll regret. Ze, I love you more than anything, but don’t step to me like that. I’m telling you the truth. You just don’t wanna hear it." She continued to stand mere inches from my face. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say we were gonna start swinging at each other. I placed my hand on her shoulder and stepped her back. I was ready. Zena backed down and went into the living room to join her mother. I ended up kicking the wall in anger. If anyone has brainwashed Ze, its her own mother.

 

 

Thank the gods I have a shift tonight. There is no way I’m staying the same house as that woman. They were watching Tv when I stepped past them, dressed for work. "I’m leaving, Zena." I said without making eye contact with either one of them. I wasted no time in going out the door. Before I got into the jeep, I heard her behind me.

"Gabby."

"What?" I opened the door and got in.

"Wait." She came up beside me, resting her hands on the roof of the jeep and the door effectively stopping me from closing it. "Honey I..."

"Save it, Zena. I’m not talking to you until you can believe what comes out of my mouth. Pretty bad when your own girlfriend doesn’t believe you." I said quietly.

"Gabby, I just wanted to say I love you and be careful." I allowed her to kiss me goodbye. Never know when it will be your last. "We’ll talk about it later." Yeah I bet we will. I silently closed the door and started the engine.

 

 

"I don’t get it, Randy." I said as I poked at my bacon cheeseburger.

"I do." he said taking another gulp of soda. I looked up. "Gabby, put yourself in Zena’s shoes."

"I tried that. Still don’t see why she’s treating me like this and taking her mother’s side."

"You’re a six year old girl who worships the ground your dad walks on.....Your mother leaves....Why do you think that is?"

"That’s easy. She didn’t like her marriage." He smiled.

"You gotta think in terms of Zena here. She thinks that her mom left because of something she did, maybe loving her dad too much and thinks she is the bad guy in this."

"Never thought of it like that."

"Mom shows up and tells her that it wasn’t her fault and that she loves her. Now, you tell her that her mother is lying when she says she accepts her for who she is."

"She is."

"That’s not my point. My point is, Zena is believing her mom because its what she wants to hear. That she’s not bad or wrong for feeling the way she does about you. Gabby, you are telling her the opposite." I see some of the reasoning now, but it still doesn’t make this problem go away.

"So what do I do?" I said quietly.

"Ever here of entrapment? Get her mom to say something to the contrary while Zena is around."

"She won’t do that."

"What if she didn’t know Zena was around?"

"Could work." I thought out loud.

"Gabby, Zena is really overwhelmed right now. Cut her some slack. You have every right to be mad at her, but..."

"I know." I smiled. "Randy, how did you get so smart anyway?"

"Kid, the male mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"If you can find it." I chuckled as I popped a fry into my mouth.

"Alright I...." Randy’s statement was cut short by the blaring of our radios.

"Unit 34 possible 311 in progress. Hassle Street subdivision."

"Roger, dispatch....Oh yeah. Naked drunk guys just what I wanted to see tonight." Randy quipped as we jogged out of the restaurant and to the cruiser.

 

I opted to let Randy drive on this one. He is always a bit squeamish with indecent exposure calls. I thought I saw it all on Giller, but of course I was wrong. Hassle Street was exactly what it sounded like. A very bad part of town that held a lot of gang violence and racial tension. A predominantly black neighborhood was not a good place for two white cops to be. I felt safe with Randy though. He knew how to talk to the residents.

"Dispatch 10-23. Repeat description of suspect." I said.

"Suspect is black male approximantly 27 years of age wearing red shirt and black jeans."

"Randy, right there." I pointed.

"That’s gotta be him." The man turned and began walking the other way when he saw the cruiser. Randy pulled up behind him mere inches from his legs and stopped the cruiser. I stepped out. "Be careful, Kid." I nodded. "I got your back."

As I approached I noticed he was about six five. "Excuse sir. Could you step over here for a moment?"

"Why?"

"Because I asked you to." I said motioning. Randy stepped out and stood behind the man.

"What’d I do?" he shrugged. He was clearly nervous.

"We’ve had a complaint that your out here flashing yourself at passing cars."

"What you talkin’ about?" Randy and I both weren’t in the mood to deal with this guy tonight. Our backup arrived with our sergeant and the caller. After a brief discussion our sergeant approached us.

"She identified him as the man she saw." Sgt. Everlyn said after getting out of his cruiser.

"I’ll take’ em." The sarge handed me his cuffs and I happily snapped them on his wrists.

"Nice job on the quick spot, Taylor." I smiled. He placed the man in the back of his cruiser. I’m glad not all cases need a foot chase, car chase, or injury of some kind. I know I haven’t seen nothing yet.

 

 

Ohhhh gods I can’t breath. "Ahhhhhhh." I whimpered as a man poked at my chest.

"We need a chest tube, she’s got internal bleeding." someone yelled. "Relax." he soothed. Relax!!!! I’m naked on a table with ten thousand people hovering over me and gunshot to the chest and you tell me to relax??

"Zena? We’re going to put a chest tube to drain the blood. Its going to hurt and its going to feel like your breath is being taken away but I promise you’ll breath a lot easier when we’re done." I was hardly the position to disagree with anything. I just wish I ‘d loose consciousness right about now.

"Ohhhhhhhhh!!" I moaned loudly as they began yet another procedure on me. I felt every ounce of air leave my lungs.

 

I sat up slowly. I knew it was another dream. My leg was once again throbbing, but this time it wasn’t pain I could live with. "Son of a...." I winced as I tried to get up. I had fallen asleep on the couch watching TV. I rubbed my hand over my jean clad thigh to try and ward off the pain. It wasn’t working. It shot directly down to the tips of my toes and back up. "If I survive this, I’m going to Danny’s first thing in the morning." I vowed. That didn’t stop the pain though. Tears fell freely down face. "Oh gods." I moaned as I tried to straighten my leg out. I gave up trying to moved and layed back down. I was openly crying. I couldn’t help it. It hurt. "Gabby." I sobbed.

 

I had a bad feeling sweep over me that I couldn’t explain. I pulled the cruiser into a parking lot. "Where ya going?" Randy asked. I pulled up next to the pay phone. I dug through my uniform trousers and found my change from lunch. It was just enough to talk one minute to LA. I quickly dialed our number, no answer.

 

Continued..Part 5.


Return to The Bard's Corner