The Brass Ring

Part Two

BY MAVIS APPLEWATER

For disclaimers see part one.

Thanks to my beta reader, Kiwi Desert

As Always For Heather

 

 

CHAPTER THREE

September 2001

Dr. Jameson stripped off her rubber gloves and tossed them into the trash. Nurses looked at her expectantly. "Time of death twelve twenty six am." That was it a life ended and there was nothing she could do to save the man. Her head was throbbing; it had been a long day. For a brief moment she wished she had followed her parents advice and gone into private practice. She loved emergency medicine, her only regret was returning to Boylston but the offer from the hospital had been too good to refuse. In the six weeks since her return to the town where she spent her undergraduate years she had been on edge.

"The cops want to talk to you." One of the nurses explained.

That was the reason Jamie had been on edge. She hated the police. Well not all of them, just one in particular. The one who she had so willing offered her virginity to only to have the woman walk out of her life without so much as a goodbye. It had been more than a dozen years since CC left her and it still hurt. Perhaps that is why she never allowed anyone to get that close again. She certainly allowed them into her bed, but never into her heart. Jamie's return to the city had made her nervous. Luckily her schedule kept her busy and since this was a big city she had yet to cross paths with CC. Perhaps she never would. "Peachy." Jamie muttered in response as she finished filling out the chart. "Tell them I'll be just a minute." Jamie closed the chart and ran her fingers through her short blonde hair.

Stepping out into the corridor Jamie knew who it was instantly. Blue eyes widened as she spotted Jamie and the brief smile quickly vanished from the tall brunette when she saw the look of hatred cross Jamie's features. Jamie steadied herself and approached the two detectives. "I'm Dr. Jameson, how can I help you?" She said coldly crossing her arms defiantly across her chest.

There was a deafening silence as she glared at the tall woman. "I'm Detective Sampson and this is Detective Callaway." The man offered finally. "We have a few questions to ask you about the man you just treated." Jamie noticed that Detective Sampson seemed a little uneasy. She cast a final glare at CC before turning to his direction. "How can I help?" Jamie answered in monotone voice.

"How is he?" Detective. Sampson asked.

"He's dead." Jamie responded firmly. "We did all that we could."

"Trust me he wasn't worth it." Detective. Sampson added. "But did he say anything?"

"No." Jamie answered bluntly.

"Nothing at all?" Detective. Sampson pushed.

"No." Jamie repeated in the same cool fashion. "He was unconscious when he was brought in and he never regained consciousness. Now if that is all I'm very busy." Jamie turned on her heels and marched off. She could feel CC's unwavering stare as she stormed into the doctor's lounge.

 

"Jesus CC, what's up?" Her partner asked. "You never let me do the questioning."

"Shut up." CC snapped and started down the hallway. Detective Sampson simply complied not wanting to face his partner's temper.

CC forged a determined path down the hallway and her heart skipped a beat as Jamie reemerged from the doctor's lounge. "Was there something else Officer?" Jamie snarled as she stared into CC's eyes.

"You . . ." CC stammered.

"Yes?" Jamie's voice never betraying the fear she was fighting at facing the one person in her life that had truly hurt her.

"James." CC began softly.

"Don't." Jamie cautioned her coldly.

"So you're just going to pretend that we don't know each other?" CC asked in disbelief.

"Works for me." Jamie snapped back. "Now if you'll excuse me it's very busy here tonight."

Jamie tried to step away from her. CC reached out, but Jamie pulled away harshly away. "Don't." Jamie repeated coldly. "Anything you had to say to me, you should have said a very long time ago." Jamie stomped off leaving CC just standing there in a dejected manner.

"Another one of your conquests?" Her partner snickered from behind her.

"Shut up, Max." CC growled.

Continued - Part 3

Send comments to yomavis@email.com

For updates, previews & the Wednesday Afternoon Series

join my egroup at yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com


Return to The Bard's Corner