THE BRASS RING

(PART TWENTY-NINE - THE CONCLUSION)

By Mavis Applewater

August 2002

For Disclaimers, see Part One.

A big whopping thanks goes out to my beta reader Joanne for all of her hard work. Also thank you to the dedicated folks that host and maintain this web site without you the muse would remain silent.

As always, this is for Heather.

 

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

Simon stared at them blankly, not seeming to care that he was sitting in a police station with two cops staring at him. "So, Simon, what happened tonight?" Max proceeded in a fatherly tone. He almost sounded disappointed in Simon.

"Nothing," Simon protested with a whine.

"Something must have happened," Max scolded him. "Now just tell me; what did you do?"

"It wasn’t me," Simon whined defensively. "She did this," he flared as he pointed towards CC.

CC smiled coldly at the flustered young man, thankful that the entire interview was being taped, videotaped, and witnessed by two prosecutors, her captain, and two of the top criminal psychologists in the area. She was also thankful that Simon was far too egotistical to request a lawyer.

"Simon?" Max continued in the same scolding manner. "You need to tell me the truth, son." ‘Nice touch, partner,’ CC noted with pride.

"I didn’t do anything," Simon insisted, his tone calming down. CC became nervous, as Simon seemed to be readily adjusting to the situation. "I just went to visit my girlfriend when this . . . woman . . . ," he hissed, and CC was quite aware that wasn’t the term he wanted to use, " . . . decided to stick her nose in our business."

"Simon, you need to tell me the truth or else I can’t help you," Max continued. Simon seemed to relax even more. "Janie told me that she doesn’t want to see you."

CC and Max flinched as Simon jumped out of his chair and threw it against the wall. "That’s a lie," he shouted angrily. CC was certain that she could hear a collective gasp emanate from the observation room. She looked completely calm as she watched his face begin to twitch and his dark eyes dart from her to Max. "I . . . uhm . . . ," Simon floundered as she and Max shared a worried glance.

He was breathing heavily and clenching his fists tightly. "Simon, pick up your chair and sit down," Max instructed him firmly. Simon nodded his head and followed Max’s instructions. CC’s jaw clenched as she watched his breathing slow down. ‘We lost him,’ she noted bitterly as she watched him calm down and lean back with a cocky smirk. He looked at both of them carefully. "Now, Simon, tell me what you were doing at the hospital," Max pushed.

"Why?" Simon responded smugly. "I don’t want to talk to you anymore. If you have anymore questions for me, I want a lawyer."

‘Game over.’ CC sighed as she rubbed her temple. "That won’t be necessary," she grunted. "We don’t need this idiot, Max. You told me he could be helpful. I was right; he’s worthless," CC offered in a dismissive manner as Simon’s eyes darkened in anger. ‘Come on, you arrogant little bastard - take the bait!’ her mind screamed as she glared at him.

"Fine." Simon smirked as he stood. "I’m leaving."

CC felt completely helpless as he walked out the door confidently. "We blew it," she groaned.

"No, you didn’t," Dr. Carter reassured her as he and the others entered the room. "The cops in San Diego never got a rise out of him. He really sees Max as a father figure. But he’s smart."

"Yeah, you keep saying that," CC spat out. "Now he’s also pissed off and he’s going after his Janie."

CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

Jamie yawned as she stepped out of her car. She noted the ever-present car that had been following her since the hospital. She started to head towards CC’s townhouse and stopped in her tracks. Remembering that she was supposed to enter through the back door, she turned towards her own house, noting the replaced front window. She smiled as she pondered whether or not Stevie had thanked the contractor.

It felt strange being in her own home after spending so much time with CC. She looked at the blinking answering machine then decided to check her messages and go through her mail before heading over to CC’s place. "I can’t wait for this to be over so we can start living our lives again." She sighed as she listened to messages from her sister, her father, and Becky. "Sorry, guys. Maybe when I stop looking over my shoulder, I’ll be better at returning phone calls," she whispered, knowing that she was afraid of talking to anyone close to her, worried that she would cause more needless worry.

She shrugged off her leather jacket and headed up the stairs to gather clothing for the morning. She looked around and decided that once things were back to normal she was finally going to unpack and set up her new home. She felt slightly hopeful when she saw the police vans pull up and the officers start to ransack what she later would discover was Simon’s car. "Please let this finally put an end to all of this," she prayed as she sorted through her clothing. She grimaced when she realized that her laundry was more than a little far behind.

She looked at her watch and out the window into the darkness. "There is no way in hell I’m staying here in the middle of the night just to do my laundry. I’ve seen enough bad movies to know that is just how those screaming, scantily dressed, high heel wearing bimbos buy it. I’ll do it in the morning while the FBI is watching me," Jamie reasoned as she headed back downstairs.

The telephone rang just as she was heading towards the back door. She paused for a moment, listening to see if it was important. The silence after the beep made her edgy. "Janie," came the pleading whimper.

"Oh shit." A chill ran down Jamie’s spine. "Time to go," she blurted out as she threw open the back door and raced out onto the deck. She reached into her pocket and fished the key to CC’s home out of her pocket, slipping it between her knuckles so she could use it to defend herself if need be.

An arm reached around her as a gloved hand covered her mouth. "You should have answered the phone," a voice hissed in her ear.

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

CC was back in the conference room listening to the reports. "They got the tire iron," the Captain exclaimed as he burst into the room. "Plus a coat from his apartment and samples from the carpet in his car. Everything is on its way to the lab."

Everyone seemed to relax and smile from the good news. The only one who didn’t breath a sigh of relief was CC. "Where is he?" she demanded.

"He’s being followed," the Captain reassured her. "It’s too soon to make an arrest. We need the labs back first."

"Where is he?" CC repeated with a hiss. "Did he show up at his car or apartment?"

"No," Mallory said. "But he was on foot."

"He didn’t take a cab?" CC choked out.

"No," Mallory responded in confusion. "He hopped on the green line."

"Not the red line which has a station right across the street," CC flared. "But the green line, four blocks over, which doesn’t go anywhere near his home or the hospital. It also goes underground just enough times for whoever is following him to loose radio contact. The same train line that has a stop a few blocks from Dr. Jameson home? That green line, you stupid son of a . . ."

"Dr. Jameson is safe in her home," Mallory protested, as he turned paled. "My agent saw her enter and the lights go out. My agent is still watching."

"Did she get safely into my home?" CC screamed. "Mallory, did your agent see if she made it safely from her townhouse into mine?"

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

Jamie calmed her breathing as the man held her tightly and led her back into her home. She heard the glass door being closed. ‘Just stay calm. Wait for your opening then run to Stevie or the FBI agent out front. Just go to the one you can reach first. No! I can’t put Stevie or Emma in danger. I’ll have to go out front,’ her mind reasoned as she fought against the fear building inside of her. She knew if she were going to survive she would need to keep a clear head. ‘I promised her that I wouldn’t leave her. I’m going to keep that promise,’ she silently vowed.

Simon’s tight hold on her body prevented her from struggling. She calmed her breathing as he turned her around. There was a frightening blankness to his dark eyes. She kept her arms by her side as he tightened his grip around her throat. "Janie, you know that you belong to me," he rambled on in a distant voice, not really looking at her as his eyes glazed over.

Jamie felt lightheaded as his grip tightened and his free hand reached out for her shirt. She swayed slightly as if she was falling. In reality she was adjusting her stance. With a quick fluid movement she raised her left knee and struck him forcibly in the groin. His grip loosened as he stumbled back slightly while he winced in pain. She cocked her arm back, keeping her wrist straight and her elbow level. Then putting all of her energy in her shoulder, she hit in the face and dug the key she was still clutching into his left eye.

Simon howled in pain as he fell backward clutching his eye. Jamie didn’t waste any time as she made a mad dash for the front door. She fumbled with the locks on the door as the stunned Simon stumbled over and grabbed her by the hair. She shot her elbow back and delivered a sharp blow to his solar plexus. Simon gasped for air but still kept a firm grip on her hair. "Janie?" he panted in bewildered voice.

"My name is Jamie, you sick freak," she growled as she raised her left foot and slammed her heel into his foot. Simon screamed in agony as he released his hold on her and stumbled backward. Jamie spun quickly and adjusted her stance. Reaching out she grabbed his arm. Holding it tightly, she pulled him down slightly and then delivered a hard roundhouse kick to his kidney.

Simon howled as she released him with a slight shove. She watched as he crumpled to the floor. There was a frantic pounding on her front door. "What’s the matter, Simon; didn’t the other girls fight back?" she sneered at him as he looked up at her in pain and confusion. She turned and unlocked the front door, her hands shaking as she released the locks. She could hear CC’s frantic voice on the other side.

Jamie threw the door open and a stream of police flooded her living room. The sight of her lover rushing into her home offered Jamie comfort and fear. The icy glare in CC’s eyes as her hand reached for her sidearm sent a chill through Jamie. CC turned to her and the ice melted as her hand jerked away from her gun. Jamie breathed a sigh of relief as CC wrapped her arms around her and pulled her to her chest. Jamie released a sigh of relief and took a slight step back from CC’s hold. "You’re late," she teased her lover, hoping to wipe away the lines of fear that marred her chiseled features.

The lights clicked on as the police surrounded Simon’s crumpled body. "Are you alright?" CC asked in a pleading tone.

"I’m a little shaken," Jamie confessed. "But I had a promise to keep and I did."

"Dr. Simon Fisher?" Max addressed the prone man. "You are under arrest for the murders of Ellen Murdock, Sandra Bernstein, and the assault on Jamie Jameson."

"Assault?" Simon protested. "I’m the one who’s injured."

Everyone in the room looked down at Simon and then over at the tiny blonde CC was holding tightly in her arms. "You did that?" CC stammered.

"Yeah," Jamie responded with a calm shrug.

CC’s jaw hung open as she stared down at Jamie. "Do you remember when I was in college and you told me that every woman should have some self defense training?" Jamie began to explain. "Well, for once I listened to you. Actually I ended up getting a black belt. I enjoyed the discipline and structure of my training. You really should finish arresting him because he needs to go to the hospital. That eye doesn’t look good and I’m worried that I may have damaged his kidney."

"Right," Max agreed, still staring at the tiny blonde in awe. Then he shook his head and refocused on the whimpering man on the floor. "Where was I?"

"You’re under arrest," Jamie supplied.

"Dr. Jameson?" Mallory interrupted as Max advised Simon of his rights and called for an ambulance. "We need to get your statement and take pictures of the bruises on your neck." Jamie tensed at the suggestion, wanting this to be over with. "Detective Callaway will be at your side the entire time," he added in a comforting tone.

"Okay," Jamie agreed as she took her lover’s hand. CC gave her hand a reassuring squeeze as they left the townhouse and were greeted by a frantic Stevie who clutched a screaming Emma to her chest.

Late,r after they managed to calm both Stevie and Emma down, Jamie found herself at the police station. She had already endured having her neck photographed from every angle as well as the bruising on her arms from where Simon had restrained her. Despite the lack of serious injuries, Jamie felt violated. She was giving her statement to a room full of police officers as CC sat by her side.

"Then as he was choking me I kneed him in the groin," she said and every man in the room winced while every woman smirked. "As he fell back I jammed the key into one of his eyes. The left one, I think. I ran to the front door. It was locked and he grabbed me from behind while I was trying to unlock the door. He held me by the hair on the back of my head. I elbowed him in the solar plexus; he gasped and then I jammed my heel into his foot. As he was falling back, I delivered a roundhouse kick to his kidney. That’s about it. I opened the front door after he collapsed on the floor and all of you rushed in."

"That’s amazing," CC congratulated her.

"Thank you, Dr. Jameson." Max smiled over at her. "You really kept your cool and that saved your life."

"I was terrified," Jamie corrected him; CC’s face dropped. "But I had someone very important waiting for me," she added as she smiled at CC who still looked despondent. "So what happens to Simon now?"

"Well, his injuries have been treated and he’s under guard at the hospital," Max explained. "Some of your colleagues weren’t very interested in treating him until we stepped in and reminded them it was in everyone’s best interest to treat him like any other patient."

"I imagine that they were surprised at what happened. I know a lot of people thought I was overreacting when I filed a complaint," Jamie said. "He just seems so normal. Even I thought he was harmless until stuff started happening. And he never did anything around other people."

"Simon is very sick and very clever," CC added.

"He’ll be arraigned and he has a team of lawyers and his parents flying in," Max continued grimly.

"What aren’t you telling me?" Jamie pressed as she noticed everyone’s gaze suddenly avoiding her.

"There’s a problem," CC began carefully. "Our own experts have concluded that Simon is legally insane. Of course he’ll still need to go through a more in-depth analysis. But it looks like he could plead insanity."

"Peachy," Jamie groaned as her body tensed. "So he goes to a mental hospital until he’s deemed sane?" She felt her anger rise as she spoke. "He’s done a psych rotation. He’ll be out in no time."

"Let’s hope his ego prevents him from copping a plea," CC added with a confidence that Jamie easily saw through as an effort to comfort her. Dr. Richards released a heavy sigh. Jamie didn’t miss the warning look CC cast at the tall blonde.

"Sorry," the tall woman quickly apologized.

"You’re not a cop?" Jamie noted thoughtfully.

"No." The woman smiled. "Well, I am, sort of. I’m Dr. Richards; I’m a profiler for the FBI."

"So, Doctor, what do you think will happen? And tell me the truth?" Jamie pressed.

"I don’t want to frighten you," the tall woman responded.

"Too late," Jamie quipped.

"Okay," Dr. Richards conceded. "I think that unless Simon’s parents are as arrogant as he is, and since they are the ones paying his lawyers, there’ll be a plea bargain. They don’t want this to get out and they’ll want Simon sent away as quickly and quietly as possible."

 

CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

They entered Jamie’s townhouse; a sense of eeriness pervaded it. The police had been through everything that might prove helpful. They’d taken Jamie’s telephone since it had a digital answering machine in it. It was now evidence. CC watched her lover carefully as the blonde folded her arms across her chest and just stared at her living room.

It had broken CC’s heart when, after hearing Dr. Richards’s opinion on how things may work out, Jamie released a soft sob and squeezed her hand. "Take me home," Jamie requested in a small voice. CC nodded in agreement and led her lover out of the police station. The others could handle the police work from here on out. She had something far more important to do - she had to look after Jamie.

CC was edgy as she stood there and watched the dimness covering her lover’s bright features. She felt helpless not knowing if she should just stand there saying nothing or if she should wrap Jamie up in her arms and hold her for an eternity. She took a shy step closer only to halt her movements when she saw Jamie flinch. "Maybe we should go to my place?" CC suggested in a soft voice.

"No," Jamie responded flatly without turning around to look at CC. "I’m not letting him drive me out of my home again," she spat out with conviction.

The tension loomed over them, as they remained standing in the same positions. "Who is Janie?" Jamie asked in a distant voice, keeping her back to CC.

"Janie Jensen was Simon’s high school sweetheart," CC explained, fighting against the uneasiness that was welling up inside of her. Jamie spun around when she heard the name that was frighteningly similar to her own. "She disappeared several years ago after she broke up with Simon."

"Didn’t anyone suspect him?" Jamie said incredulously.

"No," CC admitted. "No one, with the exception of her roommate, knew that she was planning on ending things with Simon. The roommate never told anyone because she didn’t want to hurt Janie’s parents with the reason why she was dumping Simon." Jamie stared at her as her emerald eyes silently asked CC to tell her everything. "They were lovers."

"What is it with him and blonde dykes?" Jamie wondered aloud.

"We think it always comes back to Janie," CC supplied. "The shrinks think he finds women who look and act like her and then he tries to woo them. When the romance fails he becomes lost in his delusions."

Jamie held up her hand to stop CC’s explanation. "I get it," Jamie offered in a defeated tone. "You said she disappeared. They never found her?"

"No," CC responded grimly.

"Her poor parents," Jamie said as her eyes filled with tears. "Waking up every morning to face the day and then going to bed every night not knowing what happened to your child. I can’t imagine the hell these people must be living in."

CC had to agree with her lover’s observation. It troubled her that they would probably never learn the truth as to what happened to Janie Jensen. Simon wasn’t going to tell them since CC felt quite certain that in his sick mind Janie was very much alive. Somewhere locked away in the disturbed young man’s mind was the answer that would finally give Janie’s parents the closure they deserved.

"How many?" Jamie’s question broke CC’s troubling thoughts. "How many girls did he kill?"

"We think that there were at least nine victims," CC informed her with regret as Jamie’s tears finally escaped. CC didn’t hesitate wrapping her lover up in her arms. "Ssh, it’s all over now," CC reassured her.

"No, it isn’t," Jamie protested weakly.

"Yes, it is," CC stated firmly as she guided Jamie slightly away from her body to look into her eyes. "It is over. Now will you do something for me?" Jamie nodded as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "Let me take you upstairs and hold you tonight." Jamie lifted CC’s hand to her lips and kissed them gently.

"Call your sister first," Jamie choked out in a hoarse voice. "Stevie must be climbing the walls."

"Always the practical one," CC teased her with a wink.

"Yeah right." Jamie laughed.

CC called her sister and somehow managed to calm her fears. Jamie never left her side, needing to keep physical contact with CC. The policewoman knew the events of that evening were going to haunt her lover for a long time. After Stevie was reassured that they were safe, CC led Jamie upstairs and undressed her as well as herself. They climbed into bed and CC snuggled up behind her lover, spooning with the blonde. CC kept a tight hold as they drifted off to sleep.

 

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

Nightmares had plagued the young doctor; each time Simon’s face had loomed over her in the darkness. She could still feel his grip on her throat as she awoke with a start. Comforting arms encircled her waist as CC whispered tender words in her ear. CC’s words and touch eased Jamie back into slumber. The last bout of terror struck her just after eight in the morning. Once again CC soothed her and lulled the blonde back into sleep.

Jamie’s emerald eyes blinked open once again, this time with more ease. She breathed a sigh of relief when she realized that she had finally slept peacefully for just over four hours. She caressed the large hands still pressed against her waist. She smiled as a gentle kiss brushed her hair. "Good morning," CC mumbled as her arms tightened around Jamie’s body.

Jamie turned in CC’s arms and smiled at the woman who had once again claimed her heart. "Good morning," Jamie responded before stealing a kiss.

"It’s good to see you smile," CC commented thoughtfully.

"It feels good to smile," Jamie confessed as she laughed at her lover’s appearance. CC’s long hair was flying everywhere. "And why shouldn’t I smile when I get to wake up next to you?"

"You’re going to need to talk to someone," CC said hesitantly.

Jamie felt her anger rise at the comment. CC’s arms wrapped her up in a warm embrace and the anger melted. "You’re right," she conceded, not really wanting to relive what had happened. She knew her resistance to speak to a professional was normal. "I hate what he’s done to us," Jamie spat out as CC’s hands continued to make circles along her back. "I think you should speak to someone as well," Jamie suggested; she felt CC’s body tense at the suggestion. "I saw where you hand was heading when you and the rest of the calvary burst in last night."

"I wanted to kill him," CC stated bluntly. Jamie could feel the muscles in CC’s body relaxing. "Then I looked into your eyes and the only thing that mattered was holding you."

"Do you want to go through the department or should I find someone at the hospital for both of us?" Jamie asked, not really looking forward at the prospect of seeking professional help.

"Hospital," CC agreed as she snuggled closer to Jamie’s body. "There are no secrets at the station. I’d prefer no one knowing. Maybe we can get a group rate?" she added playfully.

Jamie allowed her fingers to begin exploring her lover’s body. She loved the way CC’s body reacted to her touch. "Now that’s settled," Jamie began in an amused tone. "There’s something else we need to talk about." Jamie smiled at the puzzled look her lover directed towards her. "You might have noticed that my little home is still a little unsettled. I haven’t finished unpacking or decorating."

"I’ve noticed," CC responded wryly. "I was wondering if perhaps you weren’t planning on staying."

"I’m staying," Jamie reassured her as she nestled her head against CC’s chest. "And since I’m staying I think you should help me with the unpacking and decorating."

"Should I?" CC teased as Jamie’s hand slipped to the curve of the brunette’s hip.

"Yes," Jamie responded firmly. "Since I expect you to be spending a lot more time here."

"Okay," CC responded gleefully. "Hey, that wouldn’t include shopping, would it?"

"Yes." Jamie laughed as she rolled CC onto her back and straddled her body. "Some big tough cop you are - afraid of a little trip to the mall," she teased her lover as she began to tickle her ribs.

"I’m not afraid," CC protested as she tried to swat Jamie’s hands away. "And it’s never just a little trip to the mall with you. It is more like an expedition to the moon."

"Sweet talker," Jamie teased as she poked her lover in the ribs.

 

CC yelped at Jamie’s assault before capturing the doctor in her arms. Jamie relaxed into the feel of her lover’s naked body pressing against her own. "We should try and get some more sleep," CC suggested. "We both have to go to work later." Jamie grumbled, not looking forward to facing the looks and questions from her co-workers.

"You can always take the night off," CC’s offered.

It was tempting but Jamie wasn’t going to stop living her life. Simon had disrupted it enough and she wasn’t going to let him win. "I have to," Jamie asserted as she snuggled against CC. Soon both women drifted off into a blissful slumber.

 

CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

CC was growing more and more agitated with each passing moment. The lawyers had arrived and now everyone was circling their respective wagons. The team of lawyers Simon’s father had assembled was an impressive lot, each one dressed in a suit that was worth more than her yearly salary. There was one woman who troubled CC. She knew she recognized the woman who kept giving her icy glares, but for the life of her she couldn’t figure out who she was.

The detective was becoming increasing aware that everyone on both sides was doing everything possible to drag the case out. She hated the effect it was having on her lover and decided to do something completely reckless. She gathered up her files and photos and went over to the hospital. CC marched down the hallway, noting the weary look on the police officer stationed outside of Simon’s hospital room. On one side of the corridor stood the group of expensive suits crowded around a very distinguished-looking gentleman with a sorrowful look in his dark brown eyes. On the other side was her team. CC took one look at both packs of vultures and decided that she’d had enough.

CC held up her badge to the uniformed officer. "I’m going in to talk to him. Anyone care to join me?" she shouted and both camps seemed stunned. Suddenly both sides erupted in chaos as they argued over whether or not CC should be allowed to enter Simon’s room. CC locked eyes with the only other person in the crowded hallway besides herself that wasn’t speaking.

The man looked as if he was suffering from battle fatigue. His dark eyes were filled with a lost sorrowful expression. At times CC thought about the parents and families of those who kept her employed. It was unsettling because half of her experiences of coming face-to-face with the family of a killer ended with her understanding why they were the way they were. She knew that if someone out there had reached out and gotten them away from their loving families sooner, they might have been all right. The other half of the time she found herself looking into the same sadness she was looking at this moment. A confused parent who did everything humanly possible to raise their child right who was now wondering how their sweet child had become a monster.

"Annoying, aren’t they?" CC addressed Mr. Fisher.

He blinked in surprise. She understood his confusion. He’d probably heard the whole story by now and was wondering why she didn’t hate or blame him for his son’s sickness.

"Yes," he finally responded in a weak pleading voice.

"Don’t speak to her," the familiar large woman chided her.

"Excuse me," CC snapped at the annoying woman. "She works for you, isn’t that correct, sir?" she addressed the man. A faint flicker of a smile emerged on his lips.

"Yes, she does," he confirmed.

"Would you like to talk to me, Mr. Fisher?" CC asked him gently, fully prepared for his refusal.

"I just want to understand," he responded in a desperate voice.

"I think we all want that," CC concurred. She watched as Dr. Richards nodded to her, confirming that she was doing the right thing. "And you want to know about Janie."

"Yes," he choked out. "She was such a sweet girl. Her parents have been through hell. I can’t believe that he would hurt her. But when I asked him, it was like the time I asked him if he’d dented his mother’s car. His denial was very convincing, but he was holding the keys in his hand." His voice trailed off and CC could see the conflict waging in his eyes.

"Malcolm," one of the suits cautioned him.

"I have an idea," CC suggested as she ignored the arrogant lawyer. "When Janie disappeared, the police never suspect Simon."

"That’s right," Mr. Fisher confirmed confidently.

CC could see the glimmer of hope rising in the man as he thought that perhaps this had all been some kind of horrible mistake. "That’s because Simon decided to take an unexpected trip to the family cabin at Lake Tahoe and wasn’t around when Janie disappeared," CC explained. "I just discovered this information in an old report this afternoon." CC continued as eager ears listened to her conversation with Simon’s father. "With your permission, the FBI could search the cabin and the surrounding area."

The team of lawyers instantly shouted their objections, as Mr. Fisher mulled over the idea. CC simply stood there holding his gaze, allowing him to consider the idea while the others argued the point. A nurse finally stormed down the hallway and told everyone to be quiet. Something about the nurse’s size and demeanor instantly quieted them. "Do it," Mr. Fisher finally agreed in a nervous tone.

"Mallory, get on it," CC instructed the agent firmly. Mallory stood there for a moment with a look of complete amazement as Simon’s lawyers protested. "Mallory, do it," CC fumed as she shoved the address into his hand. He snapped to attention and ran off while the lawyers continued to grouse about illegal search and seizure.

"I’d like to speak to your son. Would you care to join me?" CC said to Mr. Fisher in the same comforting tone she’d used throughout their entire encounter. "Maybe we can finally get some answers."

"Absolutely not," the woman shouted in a shrill tone.

"Who are you?" CC finally snapped in disgust.

The woman’s beady eyes narrowed at CC’s question. "Claudia," she grumbled.

"She can’t work on this case," CC said to the most elegant man in the group, assuming that he was the one in charge. The way he looked them both over confirmed her suspicions. "She was Dr. Jameson’s roommate in college and I have first hand knowledge of her dislike for Dr. Jameson and her lifestyle." The other lawyers looked at Claudia with concern. "Come on, boys. She’ll just try to make it look like the victims had it coming. You know that crap won’t fly here."

"Excuse me?" Claudia snarled. "You’re the depraved one who walked out on her."

CC smiled confidently as she heard Max growl behind her. "Actually I didn’t," CC explained dryly. "I was wounded in the line of duty, and because of people like you, Jamie never knew because we had to keep our relationship a secret." Claudia and her co-workers seemed stunned.

"It’s true," Max confirmed smugly.

CC and Mr. Fisher watched as the older attorney pulled Claudia aside. By the way she stormed off CC had a feeling that she wasn’t very happy at the moment. "Good call," CC informed the lead attorney. "You were probably unaware that she’s a homophobic religious zealot that could only hurt your case."

"You’re still not going in there," the man chastised her with a smirk.

CC couldn’t help smiling in response, as she liked this man; he’d seemed genuinely shocked by Claudia’s views. "Why not?" CC reasoned, noticing that everyone’s attention was focused on her. "Let’s all be reasonable and put the yardsticks away for a moment." She watched as every man, with the exception of Mr. Fisher, seemed miffed by her comment. Mr. Fisher seemed amused. "Your client was caught trying to attack Dr. Jameson. We found Ellen Murdock’s and Sandra Bernstein’s blood and glass from Dr. Jameson’s front window on his tire iron and one of his jackets. His car was pulled over in the area where Sandra Bernstein’s body was found. He was the only one seen in the parking garage at the time Sandra’s tire was flattened."

She watched as Simon’s lawyers grew paler as she revealed each detail. "And I think that we’ll find Janie’s body up at the cabin," she added in an apologetic tone to Mr. Fisher.

"But . . . ," the lead attorney began.

"He’s nuts," CC cut him off. "Sorry, sir," she quickly apologized to Mr. Fisher. "It’s true. Your son is very sick. But honestly do you think he’ll allow his lawyers to enter an insanity plea? It doesn’t matter what you think," she added before he could object. "You may be paying the bill, but at this moment he’s their client." She saw the understanding dawn on his face. "Now boys, even if you get to enter that plea, which you probably won’t, juries these days are pretty fed up with it. You know this. The jurors and everyone watching on Court TV will think you’re a bunch of morons. Or do you want to wrap this whole thing up and provide some closure for the nine families of his victims? All I’m asking is a chance. It will just be you and your second chair." CC nodded to the lead attorney. "The federal prosecutor, our DA, Mr. Fisher, and myself. Come on. Wouldn’t hammering out a deal now be in the best interest of your client?"

"You should run for office, Detective Calloway," the older man acknowledged with a smile.

"No, thank you." CC grimaced at the idea.

"Malcolm?" the man addressed Mr. Fisher.

"I agree with Detective Calloway," Mr. Fisher confirmed. "I just want some answers."

"I have to warn you that we may not get them," CC cautioned him. "Simon has a very slanted view of reality."

"I’m just finding that out," Mr. Fisher responded absently. "He told me that he and Dr. Jameson were a couple. It wasn’t ever true?"

"No, sir," CC answered with a slight shiver. "Shall we?"

The six of them piled into the room as Simon sat up, his face still marred from Jamie’s defense and his wrist handcuffed to the bed. "What do you want?" he snapped at CC.

After meeting his father CC couldn’t understand how Simon ended up the way he did. She offered Simon a friendly smile as she took a seat next to his bed. He flinched away from her as his father stood next to him on the opposite side. "I have to remind you, Simon, that you are under no obligation to answer my questions," CC explained in a gentle tone. She no longer possessed the strength to hold onto her anger.

"That’s right, Simon," the lead attorney reminded him. "But it might be in your best interest to cooperate."

"I didn’t do anything," Simon flared, directing his tirade towards his father.

"Listen to Mr. Getz," Mr. Fisher instructed his son.

"Dad," Simon pleaded, "I just went to visit my girlfriend and the next thing I know this one barges in and arrests me. I think we should sue."

Mr. Fisher’s mouth hung open in disbelief. CC calmed herself, recalling what the shrinks had said about Simon’s subconscious defenses. "Simon, if you think that you should, then file a complaint," CC offered in a sincere voice. "Bring it all out into the open so Jamie can stand up in court and tell everyone that she loves me and not you."

"Lying bitch," Simon hissed as he strained against his shackled wrist to grab her.

Mr. Fisher simply stared in disbelief; CC didn’t even flinch. "Calm down, Simon; your father is watching," she instructed him gently. She watched as Simon instantly calmed himself. "Simon, do you want to tell us what really happened to Janie?"

"Janie disappeared," Simon responded in confusion. "I keep hoping that somehow she’ll be found."

"You may get your wish," CC explained, maintaining her composure. "Right now a team from the FBI is searching your family’s cabin at Lake Tahoe." She noticed his face paled slightly.

"Why?" Simon inquired in bewilderment as his mind tried to sort out what was happening.

"Because that’s where you hid her body," CC explained. "Where did you put her - the basement?" Seeing no reaction she pressed on. "The woods? The boathouse?" He flinched slightly and CC made a mental note to contact the team in California so they could check the boathouse thoroughly.

"No," Simon protested in a distant voice. "I just saw her."

"That must have been very confusing, seeing her in bed with another woman," CC continued, trying to focus on her case. "Even more confusing seeing two of her," sShe pressed as she watched the wheels in his sick mind spinning.

"It was," Simon mumbled.

CC glanced over at Getz who was rubbing his throbbing temple. ‘Oh yeah, your client just shot himself in the foot and you know it,’ CC’s mind reasoned. She reached over and pulled the tray table over. Slowly she placed a photo of one of his victim’s bodies on the table. "How did it happen?" she asked casually as he studied the picture with a disinterested look. "Did you let just a little air out of her tire?" she continued as she placed another picture down. "You volunteered to follow her since you were heading up north," she offered as she slowly laid out the next set of pictures. "She pulled over and you offered to check the tire," she continued. His face remained blank as she placed the photos of eight of his victims before him. She refused to look up at his father, knowing that this was probably killing the poor man. "Thinking that having her stranded out in the middle of nowhere would be the perfect opportunity to talk some sense into her. You were changing the tire for her and she refused to listen to reason," she went on. She fought back the tears as she placed a photo of her lover before him. "You didn’t mean to start choking her, did you?" she pushed. She watched his face begin to twitch slightly as his fingers caressed Jamie’s photo.

"No," he muttered as Getz groaned in defeat.

CC placed the last photo of a young happy Janie Jensen before him and watched as the tears slipped from his dark eyes. "The tire iron was just there," CC supplied. "You just wanted her to understand that she belonged to you."

Simon’s breathing was becoming erratic as his face turned red. Everyone watched as his fist clenched and the veins in his neck bulged out. Suddenly he shoved the table with the photos away, sending them flying across the bed. "Get out!" he screamed. Everyone except CC flinched. She simply began gathering up the photos and replacing them in her folder.

"She belonged to you, didn’t she?" she pushed, fearful that she had gone to far.

"She’ll always belong to me, you queer," he bellowed. "This is your fault. If you’d just left her alone, none of this would have happened. She’s mine and I had to show her that!"

"Simon, shut up," Getz warned him.

"What?" Simon stammered. "Can’t you see that this is her fault?" he said accusingly as Getz rolled his eyes in amazement.

"I need a moment with my client," Getz said with a heavy sigh.

"Of course," CC agreed as she gathered her things. She cast an understanding look at the weeping Mr. Fisher before she and the prosecutors left the room.

 

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT

Jamie walked into the doctor’s lounge and found her lover sitting at the table with a weary expression. "It’s over," CC said in a soft voice. Jamie’s heart clenched, uncertain what CC was talking about.

"What’s over, Caitlin?" Jamie carefully inquired.

"Simon," CC explained as she blew out an exhausted sigh. "He’ll be flown to California tomorrow. I had a hunch and we found Janie Jensen’s body. It sent him over the edge and his lawyers are working out a deal with the feds. He’ll be locked up in an institution for the criminally insane. It won’t be some place he can just fake his way out of. We were able to close all the cases."

Jamie felt the pressure of the last couple of weeks slipping from her body as she stood behind her lover and began to rub her shoulders. "I’m almost done for the night," Jamie offered in a soothing tone as she continued to knead CC’s broad shoulders. "Let’s go home."

"How did it go for you tonight?" CC inquired in concern.

"It was hard at times," Jamie confessed wearily. "There were lots of questions and looks of pity. But I got through it."

The day had indeed been arduous for the blonde doctor. She could understand the discomfort her colleagues felt being around her. Just what do you say to someone after you discovered they were stalked and attacked by another co-worker? Yet if one more person approached her and asked how she was holding up, she might just set someone on fire. All she wanted to do at this moment was go home and wrap her lover up in her arms. Her emerald eyes drifted to the soft curve of CC’s neck. Jamie licked her lips; her throat suddenly went dry as her mind decided that there might be one or two other things she wanted to do when they got back home.

Jamie could feel the heat rising in her body as her eyes drifted along her lover’s body. Maybe she just needed to reconnect with her lover after everything they’d endured in the last twenty-four hours. Or maybe it was just the fact that her lover was the most beautiful passionate woman on the face of the planet. Either way Jamie was forming some very interesting plans for when the two of them were alone later.

"What are you thinking?" CC inquired in a sultry tone as she captured Jamie in a lustful stare.

"I’m thinking about . . ." Jamie blushed deeply as she felt her body react to CC’s look. "Never you mind what I’m thinking. I need to get back to work."

Her name being paged confirmed her need to return to her duties. "Should I meet you at your place?" CC suggested in a hushed tone as someone entered the lounge.

"Yes," Jamie responded as she leaned over and kissed CC on the cheek. "And don’t bother bringing your jimmies," she added hotly in her lover’s ear. Jamie’s nipples became erect as her lover shivered from her words.

"Hi, Jamie," the Asian man greeted her with a shy smile.

"Hi, Shilin," She said as her hands continued to caress CC’s shoulders. "Shilin, this is my partner, Caitlin."

"Nice to meet you," he said warmly as he offered his hand to CC who stood to greet him.

"A pleasure," CC responded as she accepted his hand.

Jamie hid her amused smirk; her lover towered over the smaller man who was drinking in all of her assets. CC turned to her with a shy smile. "I’ll see you at home," CC offered shyly. Jamie understood her lover’s discomfort and uncertainty as how she should act around her co-workers.

"Just let yourself in," Jamie instructed her as she reached up and placed a promising kiss on CC’s lips. She almost broke out in gales of laughter at the goofy grin CC sported. "I shouldn’t be too long now that Shilin is here; maybe I can duck out a couple of minutes early."

"Thanks a lot, Jameson," Shilin grumbled. "I haven’t even put my scrubs on yet."

Jamie waved goodbye to CC as she flashed a cocky smirk at Shilin. "Damn, Jameson; you have to tell me how to get one of those," the doctor said appreciatively as he poured himself a cup of coffee. He sniffed the brew and wrinkled his nose in disgust before tossing it out.

"It is simple," Jamie responded proudly. "When you see the brass ring, just reach out and grab it and don’t ever let go."

"Oh, is that all?" He laughed as Jamie walked out of the lounge.

Later that evening Jamie’s heart swelled when she entered her townhouse. The living room was lit by candlelight. On the coffee table were a dozen roses and a note taped to a bag of Pepperidge Farms Nantucket Chocolate Chip Cookies. "You do know the way to my heart, Detective," Jamie said with a wry smirk as she read the note that instructed her to follow the rose petals.

Jamie shrugged off her leather jacket, blew out the candles, and began to follow the trail of rose petals that led up the staircase. She continued to shed her clothing as she followed the delicate petals to her bedroom. The blonde doctor was completely naked as she stepped through the bedroom door. The sight that awaited her made her breath catch.

Her body trembled, the palm of her hand rested against her chest and she felt her heart pounding beneath her hand. The room was lit only by candlelight, revealing rose petals leading up to and covering the bed. Nestled comfortably on the large bed was her lover, holding another dozen roses and clad only in a long red silk robe. CC sat up and placed the roses on the nightstand before curling her finger and beckoning Jamie to join her.

Jamie stood there frozen, completely mesmerized by the sheer beauty in front of her. "Jamie," CC beckoned her in a husky tone.

"I’m sorry. You just took my breath away," Jamie confessed as she somehow willed her feet to move across the room. Slowly she crawled up on the bed and hovered over her lover. "I love you," she confessed before kissing her lover.

It was a slow lingering kiss that stoked the fire already burning inside the blonde as she lost herself in the feel of silk and rose petals. CC rolled her over onto her back and Jamie’s body burned from the feeling of CC’s silk-covered body on top of her while soft rose petals kissed her naked back. CC’s hands began to roam as the kiss deepened. Jamie felt complete as CC poured her love into her kiss and touch.

When their lips separated Jamie was panting as her body pulsated with desire. She shivered as her lips continued to tingle. CC traced her ear with her tongue. "I want to make love to you," CC whispered in a hot breath before beginning to nibble on Jamie’s earlobe.

"I’m yours," Jamie offered in a breathy voice as CC’s mouth and tongue began to worship her neck.

Jamie wrapped her fingers in CC’s long raven tresses while CC kissed and tasted her way down to the valley between Jamie’s breasts. The doctor’s body arched in response as her lover’s tongue traced the swell of her breasts. "Caitlin," she moaned with needy desire as she felt CC’s tongue circle her nipples without touching them. CC continued to tease her as the brunette’s hands drifted down Jamie’s body.

Jamie moaned deeply as CC’s fingertips danced lightly along her skin. She fumbled as she tried to reach between their bodies to undo the tie on CC’s robe. The feel of silk was intoxicating but she craved the touch of her lover’s body. CC gently guided her hands away as she lifted herself up. She smiled down at Jamie and once again the blonde felt her heart skip a beat.

Crystal blue eyes held Jamie captive as she felt her wetness grow. CC gently clasped her wrists and guided them up over Jamie’s head. "Please," Jamie begged as she lost herself in CC’s gaze. The brunette smiled down at her; she held Jamie’s wrists firmly with one hand while she undid the tie of her robe with the other. CC leaned down as she released the tie only to reveal a slight glimmer of the bronze flesh that was lying beneath. CC reclaimed her lips, keeping her body a hair’s breath away from Jamie’s quivering form.

The loosely hanging robe and CC’s soft tresses caressed Jamie’s body as her lover once again kissed and tasted her way down her body. Jamie squirmed beneath her in a desperate attempt to feel more of CC’s body. "Caitlin!" she cried out as CC sucked her nipple into her mouth. Jamie slipped her knee between CC’s firm thighs and pressed against her warm wet center. CC suckled the erect nipple harder while she rode against Jamie’s thigh.

CC still held Jamie’s hands above her head while her mouth feasted upon her breasts, moving from one to the other. Jamie’s hips arched up as she felt her lover’s desire paint her thigh. Jamie rocked against her lover’s body urgently; CC’s body moved in unison with her. As their bodies ground in a wild rhythm, CC released her hold on Jamie’s wrists. The blonde’s tiny hands instantly slipped beneath CC’s silk robe and began to caress the brunette’s skin as CC’s hands cupped her backside and guided Jamie’s body to melt into her wetness.

CC’s head flew up as Jamie began to tease her nipples with her fingers. Both women were gasping as they lost themselves in the sensual rhythm. Jamie cried out as her clit danced against CC’s firm thigh. Jamie felt herself nearing the edge as their bodies began to thrust more insistently. She groaned as she felt CC slowing their frantic pace.

Jamie relaxed into the slower rhythm as she pulled CC’s robe slightly off her shoulders while they engaged in another promising kiss. Her mind understood their need to slow down and savor the moment for as long as they could, yet her body was screaming for release. CC cupped her face in her hands as the kiss came to a slow reluctant end. Their breath mingled as they stared deeply into one another’s eyes.

Jamie rolled both of them over so that they were lying side by side. "I can’t believe how truly beautiful you are," CC said in wonderment as Jamie blushed at the compliment. Jamie slowly removed CC’s robe as her lover’s fingertips gently explored her skin. "I love you," CC offered on a soft breath as they continued to slowly touch each other. Their hands drifted lower and lower with each tender caress.

Jamie sighed as she dipped her fingers into CC’s wetness while her lover mirrored her actions. Slowly they each explored each other’s slick folds while their fingertips occasionally brushed the other’s throbbing clit. They stole sweet tender kisses while they slowly entered one another. Each of them parted their thighs, welcoming the other’s touch as they filled one another. Their nipples brushed as they slowly began to glide their fingers in and out of the other’s center.

The kisses grew deeper as the rhythm of their fingers increased while they stroked each other’s clits and their legs wrapped around each other’s body. They both neared the edge as desire consumed them. Jamie felt as if she was ready to explode as she slipped her fingers from the warm wetness of CC’s center. Once again CC mirrored Jamie’s actions as the blonde shifted so that she was now kissing the inside of CC’s thighs.

She felt her lover parting her as she nestled herself between CC’s trembling thighs. Jamie moaned into CC’s wetness as her lover tasted her. The scent of CC’s desire filled her as she began to drink in her passion. They feasted upon one another, beginning slowly as they dipped their tongues deep inside the other. Soon they began to suckle one another’s clit as fingers replaced their tongues.

Jamie suckled CC harder as she thrust her hips against the brunette’s touch. She could feel her body trembling as she drank in more of CC’s passion. She heard CC’s muffled cries of pleasure as her own climax overtook her. They screamed in ecstasy as they continued to pleasure one another. They collapsed against each other and began to lick away the last traces of passion from the other’s body while the aftershocks trickled through them.

Jamie murmured in pleasure as she moved up her lover’s body. CC wrapped her long legs around Jamie’s slender body as the blonde kissed her lover deeply. Her mind reeled as she savored the taste of their wetness mingling on their lips. Once again Jamie entered her lover with two fingers as CC cupped and massaged her backside. Jamie plunged in and out of her lover, adding another digit as CC’s body thrust against her own.

CC’s head fell back as she cried out Jamie’s name. CC pulled her down and began to suckle the pulse point on her neck while she guided Jamie’s hips down. Jamie cried out as she clutched her lover’s body and their clits once again danced against each other. Jamie’s mind was spinning as CC entered her. They rolled around as CC plunged in and out of her. The energy slipped from Jamie’s body as she exploded once again and collapsed into a quivering heap.

CC kissed her brow sweetly before helping the still trembling blonde under the covers. Jamie snuggled up in CC’s loving embrace and smiled as she felt their hearts beating in unison. Sated and spent the blonde doctor drifted off to sleep.

****************************************************

A few weeks later Jamie was walking hand in hand with CC at Cold Springs Park. "I can’t believe she’s walking and talking," CC commented in amazement. They watched the energetic Emma stumble along on her chubby legs before plopping down on her butt as her mother followed close behind.

"Well, something similar to it," Jamie noted in amusement.

"Do you think it’s strange that she can’t say Mama or Caitlin clearly but she can say cookie perfectly?" CC teased. "You haven’t been coaching her, have you?"

"Look - the Carousel," Jamie cried out, avoiding the accusation.

"Merry-go-round," CC corrected her as they approached the ride.

"Carousel," Jamie argued.

"You are so stubborn." CC snorted in amusement. "So, Dr. Jameson, do you want to go for a ride?"

"Yes," Jamie responded with a smile as she squeezed CC’s hand. CC gave her a gentle squeeze in response before releasing her grip and walking over to purchase their tickets.

As Jamie watched her lover she realized that she was more deeply in love with this woman than she thought possible. "Ready?" CC asked with a brilliant smile that made Jamie weak in knees. Jamie simply nodded in response, not trusting her own voice. They waited for the carousel to stop spinning and the other passengers to get off.

"I love you," Jamie vowed as they stepped up onto the wooden floorboards of the antique carousel.

"I love you too," CC responded as she helped Jamie up onto a white carved horse and rested her hand on the small of Jamie’s back. The calliope music began as the ride began to move and CC rested her head on Jamie’s shoulder. Jamie smiled as they began to go around. They had wasted far too many years before returning to the beginning. Jamie released a happy sigh, thankful that she was finally back where she belonged.

"CC, there’s something I need to ask you," Jamie began hesitantly.

"Yes," CC answered before Jamie could ask her question.

"You don’t know what I’m going to ask," Jamie cautioned her.

"Whatever it is, the answer is yes," CC readily agreed.

"Good, we can start moving your stuff in tonight," Jamie informed her.

"Most of my stuff is already at your place." CC laughed.

Jamie leaned over and kissed her as her horse glided up and down. "Actually there’s something else I need to know. How much trouble can I get into for not paying a speeding ticket?" Jamie inquired playfully.

"A lot," CC commented as she gave Jamie a curious glance. "When did you get this ticket?"

"Twelve years ago," Jamie confessed with a slight cringe.

"You mean to tell me that you never paid that?" CC inquired with a boisterous laugh.

"I just never got around to it," Jamie protested weakly.

"So, Jamie, are you going to try and catch the brass ring again?" CC asked as she caressed Jamie’s shoulder.

"Caitlin, I already caught the brass ring. And this time there isn’t a power in heaven or on earth that will ever cause me to let it go," Jamie vowed as she stared deep into her lover’s eyes. The ride came to an end; they stepped off, hand in hand, to catch up with Emma and Stevie and start the next chapter of their lives together.

THE END

send comments to yomavis@email.com

for updates, previews & the wednesday afternoon series join my egroup,

yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com


Return to The Bard's Corner