Whispering Pines

By Mavis Applewater

October 2002

Disclaimers: This story is mine. Yes it's true it comes right out of my warped imagination, so no posting, selling, stealing or anything else without my permission. If for any reason you don't wish to read a story about two good looking women getting to know one another in a very intimate manner then don’t read this story. If for any reason it is illegal for you to view this material, so sorry but you must go now. There that should cover everything. Happy Halloween!

Thanks to Brunnhilda for the feedback and editing.

As always this is for Heather.

Shawn pulled her navy blue parka around her body as the cool autumn air assaulted her as she stepped out of her car. She brushed back an errant strand of dirty blonde hair out of her hazel eyes. "Miss Williams!" An overly perky voice called out to her. "Oh brother here we go." She muttered as she watched the blonde racing over to her.

"Ms. Larsen." Shawn responded trying to sound friendly. "Lanie Larsen couldn't be her real name. Of course I doubt that those breasts are real either." She thought to herself.

"This is going to be terrific." The overly exuberant television personality blabbered on as Shawn retrieved her equipment from the back of her jeep. "A real ratings grabber."

Shawn simply smiled at the platinum blonde, who was ranting wildly as they trudged up the hill. Shawn noticed that the woman with big hair whose ego matched the size of her new breasts failed to offer her assistance with her heavy equipment.

Shawn glanced around the environment where she would be spending the night. The house was run down, giving it and even more ominous look. She could see that the brick mansion now covered with ivy and over grown bushes must have been quite spectacular in its day. The grounds were almost barren due to the change in season. The cemetery lay off in the distance, the layer of fog covering it also added to the creep factor. All in all it was a typical assignment for the young paranormal investigator.

Shawn chuckled as the stairs leading up to the weathered wrap-around porch creaked beneath her. "I can see why the locals think this place is haunted," she mused.

"It better be or we're just wasting film." Lanie snorted in disgust. "And the other teams are going to show us up. No way I‘m letting Phil Rogers kick my ass with The Winchester Mansion. If half the stuff people claim to have seen happened, we should kick some serious butt."

"What kind of stuff?" Shawn inquired.

"The usual lights going on even though the electricity is off. Seeing some old guy walking towards the woodshed, the figure of a woman standing in the window. The usual stuff." Lanie happily supplied.

Shawn simply shrugged since the events that Lanie had just described were pretty common in her line of work. "Shawn!" A familiar voice called out to her.

She smiled to see the slender ebony woman exiting the house. "Hi, Althea." Shawn offered as the dark woman approached her. She instantly relieved Shawn of some of her burden as Lanie brushed past them. "I take it wonder woman didn't offer to help." Althea grunted as she lifted the heavy equipment.

"Of course not." Shawn replied with a knowing smirk.

As they stepped inside and set Shawn's belongings down, the young investigator shivered slightly as the hair on the back of her neck prickled up. Her eyes brightened slightly and then fluttered shut. She relaxed into the feeling. "Oh yeah this is good." She told herself.

"You feel something already?" Althea inquired enthusiastically. "Oh this is going to be good."

"So what is the set up this time?" Shawn inquired, having been a last minute replacement for another psychic.

"You get to spend Halloween night in a house that may or may not be haunted. We will be airing the special at Midnight. We have teams set up in suspected haunted houses across the country." Althea explained. "Anything extra we get after midnight we are using for a second special that we will air later. I think the travel channel wants to pick that up. But we will be offering it around to all the syndicated markets."

"Midnight on Halloween sounds perfect." Shawn responded feeling as if there was something Althea wasn’t telling her. "What are some of the other sights?"

"Here we have Whispering Pines, then there’s the Winchester Mansion in California, the Light House in Connecticut, that farm house in Iowa and the plantation in New Orleans where the slave murdered the wife and kids. We tried to get the Amityville house but the owners refused." Althea explained.

"There is nothing going on at Amityville." Shawn offered, having visited the famed house and was disappointed to discover it had all been an elaborate hoax.

"We’ve already wired the place with cameras and sound equipment. You just need to set up your own equipment. Lanie, Jasper, Kyle and I will be outside in the van keeping an eye on you." Althea explained.

"So I’ll be by myself?" Shawn inquired, thinking it was odd.

"Well, not all alone." Althea hesitated.

"Other paranormal investigators?" Shawn asked as she shook off the strange vibes she was feeling. "A film crew?" She still didn’t get a response from Althea. "A debunker?"

"Yes." Althea finally confessed.

"So it’s just me and some blow hard who will swear up and down that it was the wind and creaking floorboards." Shawn said with a warm smile. "Nothing unusual about that. Makes the show more interesting."

"I’d hoped you’d see it that way." Althea said with a sigh of relief. "After Milo pulled out, I was in a panic that my unit would be cut from the program."

"So who is the professional nay-sayer I get to spend the night with?" Shawn questioned. No sooner had the words left her mouth than she felt her. "Faith Charles." She said as she felt her body warming and turned to see the tall dark haired woman approaching her from the staircase.

"Well, if it isn’t little Shawn?" Faith Charles quipped in a condescending tone. Shawn shook off the remark knowing that the overgrown arrogant woman had only said it to get some kind of reaction out of her. "What happened to Milo?"

"You happened, Miss Charles." Althea responded curtly. "Ms. Williams was kind enough to join the team at the last moment. So play nice."

"I’m always nice." Faith Charles protested before walking away.

"Relax." Shawn offered to Althea. "She’s not that bad. Once you get past the condescending attitude and that stick she has wedged up her ass."

"I heard that." Faith echoed from the other room.

"Of course you did with those big ears of yours." Shawn quipped merrily in response. It was a familiar game between the two of them. Each delightfully took turns taunting the other, to see who would blow a gasket first.

Althea released a light laugh. "Just between us, what kind of vibes do you get off of her?" She pried eagerly.

"None." Shawn responded with a frown. At times she tried to see what kind of vibes she could get from the stuffy, albeit attractive, Faith Charles. She received nothing. It happened that way sometimes. Some people were easy to read and others offered nothing.

"Nothing?" Althea pouted. "Come on, you always get a little something."

"Not always." Shawn explained as she began to unpack her equipment. "Some people are very good at shutting me out or I simply can’t tap into them. I kind of enjoy being around people like that."

"Why?" Althea inquired as she assisted the young investigator. "I’d love to know what is going on in people’s heads."

"No you wouldn’t." Shawn sighed heavily. "It can be quite disturbing having all that inside information. Like knowing that someone’s husband is cheating on her." Shawn added as Althea winced.

"You did me a favor." Althea reassured her. "If you hadn’t shook my now ex-husband’s hand I would have never known about that bimbo he had on the side."

Shawn wished she could explain the feeling of alienation she felt at times and the way people shied away from her once they learned about her gift. She had to give Faith Charles credit she didn’t shy away, she simply blocked her out. Although Shawn doubted the tall brunette was even aware of what she was doing. Faith was a professional debunker who scoffed at the paranormal. But then again, it was her job to do just that.

Faith was there to debunk anything Shawn discovered. That's how this type of show worked. Shawn was a psychic by birth and had chosen to make it her profession. Faith was a reporter who specialized in debunking psychic phenomenon. They would both go to places that were thought to be haunted and shoot the documentary or television special. They debated for the camera, and later both would write books about it. Of course much to the crew’s disappointment at times, Shawn would agree with Faith when she could find nothing but over-active imaginations. Faith on the other hand, would never agree with Shawn. On camera that is, yet there were a few occasions when it was just the two of them Faith conceded that she had no explanation for what she had seen or experienced.

Normally on camera they would fight tooth and nail, giving the viewers some entertainment. Off camera, they took great pleasure in exchanging barbs. Shawn enjoyed the banter with the tall woman. That, and she couldn’t help noticing the reporter’s physical attributes. "So what happened with Milo?" Shawn asked as she began to set up her equipment. She decided to use the large sitting parlor as her center of operation.

"Don’t know." Althea confessed. "He was about to start setting up and checking the place when he and super bitch got into it. He just packed up and drove off."

"Any coffee around?" Faith grumbled as she strode into the room like she owned the place.

"Kyle made a run into town and set up some supplies in the kitchen." Althea explained. "There should be a couple of thermoses of coffee for the two of you."

"No power?" Shawn inquired as she looked down at the cable for her camera equipment.

"No." Althea offered. "We’ll run your cables out to the van."

"Having fun with your toys?" Faith quipped as Shawn smiled at the double meaning the brunette had intentionally used.

"Yes." Shawn teased in return. "Didn’t you bring any?"

Faith released a hearty laugh as Shawn flashed her a saucy smirk. "You're the psychic," Faith offered in a husky tone, "you tell me." The brunette added with a purr.

"Cute." Shawn was enjoying their teasing. Her sexuality wasn't a secret and truth be told, anyone with a pulse would be attracted to Faith Charles.

Shawn looked at her and brushed her hand across the taller woman’s forearm. "Naughty." She teased. "But I hope you brought some extra batteries for that, I don’t think the van’s generator can handle it."

Shawn was shocked when Faith blushed and pulled her arm away.

"I was just teasing." Shawn explained. "I thought you didn't believe in any of this."

"No comment." Faith muttered. "Between us, I’m glad Milo pulled out. That guy drives me nuts, with all that clutching objects and humming."

"That is his specialty." Shawn explained. "He can touch objects and get a sense or image of the past or future."

"And you do people?" Faith encouraged her. "How does that work? Not that I’m buying any of this."

"It's like getting a sense or a feel for people." Shawn explained. "With me I seem to be able to see things or feel things for people, living or dead."

"Whatever." Faith waved off her explanation.

"Yeah well, sometimes it’s like being caught in between stations on the AM dial." Shawn continued to explain, ignoring Faith’s brush-off. "And it sucked the life out of Christmas."

"Bummer." Faith noted dryly. "I guess you don’t get thrown too many surprise birthday parties either?"

"What’s the point?" Shawn conceded.

"Shawn, I need to get some shots of you outside and down at the cemetery before you set up." Althea called out to her.

"I’m on my way." Shawn answered brightly as she left her equipment behind and stepped outside into the crisp autumn air. Once outside of the run down mansion Shawn felt a strange sense of uneasiness. Jasper followed her around with a camera as she walked the grounds, giving a short spiel for the camera. Once they reached the cemetery Shawn’s pulse started beating rapidly. It wasn’t unusual for her to have this sort of reaction in a graveyard. There were too many souls that could reach out to her. Shawn understood that they reached out to everyone, only she was one of the few gifted with the ability to hear them. "Some are missing." She said absently.

"What?" Jasper questioned her.

"They should be here but their graves are empty." She said distantly as her mind wandered. Jasper looked pale as he peered out from behind his heavy camera. The blonde looked over towards the center of the cemetery where a large family crypt stood. It was obviously built to house generations of the same family. Yet Shawn sensed that there was only one person who had been laid to rest in it. It was run down and neglected. She felt anger emanating off of the cold marble. Off in the distance on a small hill she spied a second crypt that cast a warm feeling towards her. It was filled with a loving family. Yet a voice was calling to her that two people were absent. She could feel bitterness passing between the two marble structures. She shook her head as she felt the angry feelings passing through her. "What is it?" Jasper squeaked out. Shawn smiled at the nervous young man who worked on many of these films with her and still seemed edgy about the subject matter.

"Nothing." She answered and motioned to Jasper that they were done.

The young man seemed relieved that they were exiting the cemetery. "It’s just that it always amazes me that families can carry their dysfunctions into the after life." Shawn explained in a wry tone.

"Great." Jasper grumbled. "You mean I might end up spending eternity listening to my parents bitch at one another while they remind me that my older brother was the captain of the football team?"

"It can happen." Shawn elaborated as the walked back up towards the crumbling mansion. "Usually it takes more than that." She turned back towards the cemetery. "See the crypt in the center?" She asked the cameraman who was shivering in the cold.

"Yeah." He answered.

"It was obviously built to house several generations of the same family." Shawn continued to explain. "But I got the feeling that there is only one person buried inside. Now the second crypt up on the hill was built so that it would literally look down on the first. Someone buried there feels that two members of his family are missing from the crypt and blames whoever is buried in the first crypt for their absence."

"You got all of that just by walking around?" Jasper said in amazement.

"Yes." Shawn confirmed with a bright smile. "That, and someone named Greta blames her sister Beatrice for stealing the only man she ever loved. Beatrice thinks Greta should shut up about it since Boyd was lousy in bed. I think I have to agree with Beatrice on that one."

"You made that last part up." Jasper teased her as the stepped up onto the wrap- around porch of the old brick mansion.

"No." Shawn answered him with a smile. "Greta and Beatrice are buried closer to the edge of the cemetery and probably passed on only about sixty years ago or so."

"Do you think they have something to do with whatever is going on in the house?" Jasper asked like an excited child.

"No." Shawn responded flatly as she felt a chill pass through her. "I think it has to do with who ever is buried in the first crypt and who isn’t buried in the second one."

"So how was the family cemetery?" Althea inquired brightly as they reentered the mansion.

"Ooo. Can I tell her?" Jasper asked excitedly.

"Go ahead. I need to finish setting up." Shawn laughed at the young man’s excitement as he began to fill Althea in on what Shawn had said in the cemetery. As the blonde began to set up, she didn’t miss Faith lurking around watching her every movement.

Shawn continued with her set up, as Faith seemed to follow her around. The house was devoid of furniture yet filled with dust and cobwebs. Shawn couldn’t help the uneasy feeling that was surrounding her. "Something very bad happened here." She whispered.

"So what about me?" Faith suddenly asked. "Do you get any impressions from me?" The taller woman inquired, trying to sound nonchalant.

"I can't get any feeling from you. Happens sometimes. I think you are very good at blocking me out." Shawn explained as she and Jasper set about connecting her cables. "Jasper here, he reads like a cheap novel."

"I think I should be insulted." Jasper snorted in disdain. "Maybe I’m just a lot more interesting than some people," the skinny awkward man protested with a slight wheeze.

Shawn ignored Faith’s scowl and Jasper’s sad attempt to flirt with both of them and went about setting up the rest of her equipment as Kyle, the second cameraman, entered the room.

"Hey there Kyle." Shawn greeted the young Asian man. "I’ll be ready for preliminary shoot around the inside of the house in a few." Kyle and Jasper were sweet boys who were damn good at their jobs. However, whenever a pair of breasts was within a twenty-mile radius they both acted like a couple of goobers. When she and Faith worked with them they would practically do hand stands to get their attention. Basically, the boys needed to get out their editing bay a little more often.

Shawn bent over to pick up her bags. "Stop staring at my ass." She said to Kyle who was standing behind her.

"Sorry." Kyle muttered in embarrassment. "I keep forgetting about that psychic thing."

"Yeah, I'd have to be psychic to know that you were ogling my ass." She scoffed as she rolled her hazel eyes in amusement.

"Folks, we need to get everything set up." Althea commanded. "Now Shawn, we need to film your intro. I just need the usual, background on yourself, what you do and why you do it kind of thing. Lanie will interview you while Kyle films. You can do it while you finish setting up your gadgets and you can explain how they work. We’ve all ready shot Faith so that’s out of the way. Then I want a shot of Lanie’s intro in front of the fireplace, which Jasper is going to light a fire in." The techie grumbled before stomping off in search of wood. "After that it will be just the two of you until Midnight. If nothing interesting is happening we can pack up after the airing. If we get lucky and something does happen, the two of can sleep here and we will get you in the morning."

"Cozy." Faith quipped.

"We’ve all done this before. Nothing new, except that neither of you has been told the history of this place." Althea continued ignoring Faith’s commentary. "We will fill you in on all of that when we shoot Lanie’s narration. Hopefully we'll have something that the network and viewers will like. Our equipment is already set up. We’ve already gotten the shots of the cemetery and the house. All we need now is Shawn to do her thing." Everyone stood there once Althea had finished her explanation. "Come on people, we're losing our light and I want this to be a Halloween special not a Thanksgiving spectacular."

Upon hearing the producer/director’s warning everyone sprung into action. "Why don't I have a hair and make up person?" Lanie whined as they gathered up their equipment. "You're as beautiful as ever, Ms. Larsen." Althea offered in an effort to placate the blonde. "Now Lanie why don't you give our little psychic friend a hand and film the usual Q and A about her gizmos and gadgets."

Shawn bent over once again to gather up the last of her equipment while Lanie continued to complain. She felt Kyle’s eyes on her once again, not to mention some very lustful thoughts the pimple faced young man was thinking. "Stop staring at my ass." She repeated with a fierce growl.

"Sorry." Both Kyle and Faith apologized.

Shawn spun around quickly to find Kyle looking apologetic while he lifted his camera up onto his shoulder. Faith on the other hand was blushing as she stared at her feet. The blonde laughed at the brunette’s sudden shyness.

Shawn continued setting up her equipment. "Could you explain what you are doing?" Lanie asked as Kyle filmed the small blonde. Shawn chatted happily as they went from room to room. As Faith trailed along behind them as they continued to set up Shawn’s equipment. Of course they had performed this routine many times before. "I'm setting up tape records in each room. I use these small micro ones so the sound of the machine won't be picked up. Sometimes when it's played back you can hear voices. This is also known as Electronic Voice Phenomena. I'll also be using EMF meters these are infrared non-contact thermometers. Many times when a spirit is around the temperature will drop. When an entity is present the room temperature can drop a full thirty or forty degrees."

Shawn made a note on the appearance of the house. It was run down and had seen better days. There was dust everywhere, but with two notable exceptions. This observation she would keep to herself for the moment until she could figure it out. She didn't have the opportunity to investigate the history of the place. Althea instructed her not to. She felt energy throughout the house; it was very strong in the front foyer and one small room on the third floor, plus a larger room on the second floor. Both of these rooms were the only ones in the house devoid of dust or cobwebs. Also, in both of these rooms, Shawn felt a warm and gentle presence.

The only room in the entire house she hadn’t seen was the kitchen. "Do you like what you do?" Lanie asked as they began to descend the staircase.

"You mean making a living from the dead?" Shawn responded. "Yes. I'll let you in on a little secret: some of this stuff spooks me too." Shawn winked at Faith who was still following them. "You want the background thingie now?" She asked, as they headed back down the winding staircase.

"Yeah, but in front the fireplace." Lanie instructed her as they entered the downstairs parlor.

For all appearances, the room was quite grand, or had been at one time. Shawn removed her coat and took her place in front of the now blazing fireplace. "Ready?" She asked as she straightened her clothing.

"Almost." Kyle muttered checking the room with a small hand held light meter. "Okay." He lifted the heavy camera up onto his shoulder.

"Just a sec." Faith interrupted them. "You have a . . ." She waved her hand indicating that Shawn should brush back her bangs.

Shawn smiled slightly as she tucked her long curly hair behind her ears. "How’s that?" She asked as she smiled warmly at Faith who was shifting nervously.

Faith just shook her head before crossing in front of the camera. She stepped over to Shawn. The blonde reeled from her closeness. She could feel the heat emanating from Faith‘s body as she reached a shaky hand up to brush a strand of hair off of her brow.

The brief touch of Faith's fingers sent a jolt through her body. Her mind captured a slight image that made her smile brightly. It was the first time that Faith hadn't blocked her out. What she saw was Faith watching her as she stepped out of her car earlier that day. Then the image shifted to Faith racing through what appeared to be a war zone. The image vanished and was replaced by another image of Faith’s naked body arching in the throes of ecstasy.

As the image remained, Shawn’s body was all too aware of Faith‘s lingering touch. Reaching up, she captured Faith’s hand in her own. She looked up, knowing that her eyes betrayed her true emotions. Her thighs trembled as she watched Faith’s lips parting slightly.

She could her the faint murmurs of the other woman's thoughts. It was always like this for her. Knowing somehow what another person wanted or was thinking and feeling. "Yes." She answered in response to Faith’s unspoken thoughts. Faith pulled away suddenly and retreated back behind Lanie and Kyle.

Shawn felt the walls returning instantly. She had over-stepped and entered without permission. It happened sometimes. The result was always the same; people just didn't like it when you could see inside them.

"I think we're ready now." Faith said coldly. She turned away Shawn’s pleading look as if to shield her from Shawn's intrusion. The blonde simply went on with the interview knowing that an apology wouldn't be welcomed. "I learned a long time ago that most people would rather ignore it. What do you say to someone? Oops sorry, I peeked into your inner thoughts. Damn if I didn't like what I saw there." She thought to herself, recalling the sense of warmth the stoic woman kept carefully hidden. ‘This assignment gets more interesting by the minute.’ Shawn noted thoughtfully.

"Tell us about yourself Miss Williams." Lanie cued her.

Shawn nodded and worked up a smile before beginning her spiel. "I am a licensed ghost hunter, through Ghost Hunters Society, a member of the International Society of Paranormal Investigators. What I do is nothing like the Ghostbusters movies. I use scientific methods when researching a paranormal occurrence. Unlike on television, there isn't a gadget that will point to a specter. I use tape recorders, cameras, and EMF meters to research and document my findings."

"That's not all you use." Lanie cued her once again.

"No." Shawn smirked. "I'm a psychic. My gifts can give me a sense or a feel for people, not only the living, but for those who have died. I can see things. Some very clearly, almost like a movie playing in my head. Others are just quick flashes or blurbs that are sometimes difficult to decipher."

"And how long have you been able to do this?" Lanie continued in a dry professional tone.

"All my life." Shawn shrugged.

"How did you get involved with this?" Lanie prompted her once again.

"I wanted to use my gift, not hide it." Shawn explained growing weary. She just wanted to be alone with Faith and apologize for peeking into her inner thoughts.

Thankfully the interview ended, Althea returned and they began to set up for Lanie’s blurb on the history of the place. One camera would be on Lanie and the other on Faith and Shawn to record their reactions. The set up was taking awhile and the blonde was tired of standing next to Faith who was trying to ignore her.

"I didn’t." Faith finally offered quietly.

"Didn’t what?" Shawn asked in confusion.

"I didn’t drive Milo off." Faith explained in a hushed tone. "Sure I gave him a hard time like I always do. But that wasn’t what made him run. He was by himself searching the house, so was I. When I came downstairs, he was shaking, sweating more than usual, which is hard to believe since he is constantly perspiring. Then he grabbed up his stuff and bolted out the door. Not that I’m complaining, I’d rather be locked up with you all night than that wind bag."

"I wonder what happened?" Shawn responded thoughtfully.

"I have no idea." Faith answered with a shrug. "So did you see anything interesting?"

"When?" Shawn hedged as they watched Althea and Lanie argue over how tight the blonde hostess’s close up should be.

"You know what I’m talking about." Faith grunted.

"Nothing much." Shawn answered.

"Maybe there is nothing to see." Faith said a little sadly.

"True." Shawn responded in a bored tone, knowing that she was taunting the brunette who then snarled at her comment. "Why did you give up being a real reporter and start doing this kind of stuff?" Shawn asked, keeping her focus on the safest image she had seen.

"Long story." Faith offered, pausing for a moment. "I was working for CNN. Real news stories: war, human tragedy, that kind of stuff. I was a good reporter and I loved working the hot spots. One day I was sent off on a fluff piece. A punishment from a producer who objected to something I did. That guy had no sense of humor. The story was one of those spooky creepy things for Halloween. Kind of like this gig. The whole thing was a hoax and I proved it. It got a lot of attention so I wrote a book about it and suddenly I had a whole new focus. It was a hell of a lot safer than Bosnia and by that time I had seen too much violence. This stuff is more interesting, and profitable."

Shawn found herself smiling nervously as Faith finished her explanation. "It must be nice not getting shot at anymore." Shawn said in an effort to keep the friendly conversation going.

"Yeah, now I just worry about being bored to death." Faith teased.

Shawn was about to spit out a clever retort when the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. "Grab the camera Kyle." She urged the young man as she waved him away from the bickering director and would-be actress. He complied immediately. "Want to come?" She asked Faith who was looking on with interest.

Shawn smiled as she watched bright blue eyes twinkle with excitement. "Follow me guys." Kyle and Faith eagerly followed Shawn out of the parlor and down a long hallway. The blonde did sense they were more interested in getting away from Lanie’s bitching than in following her.

Suddenly in front of them, a door slammed shut. It slowly opened once again. "Hello?" Shawn offered. The door opened fully in a violent movement. "Are you getting this?" Shawn said softly to Kyle as she inched next to Faith

"Uh huh." Kyle squeaked.

"It wants us to go in there." Shawn explained as she trembled from the sudden coldness.

"It?" Faith stammered.

"Let's go before it leaves." Shawn nudged her.

"Again with the "it." You first." Faith shoved her.

"You know I find it very interesting that you had no problem going into a war zone but a little bump in the night has you hiding behind me?" She teased the taller woman who was trying desperately to hide her larger body behind the small blonde.

Shawn braced herself before taking a careful step through the doorway, Faith clinging to the back of her shirt and Kyle trailing behind them. The small hallway was dark and dusty. She jumped slightly when a light appeared behind her. She steadied her breathing when she realized that it was Kyle’s camera. They followed the narrow hall until approaching a door. Before Shawn could reach out for the tarnished doorknob, it swung open. "Okay." She muttered as she paused, unable to shake the disturbing feeling pulsating through her body.

Shawn stepped into the room and immediately began to shiver. It felt as if she had walked into an ice storm. The barren kitchen was covered with dust. As she explored the room further she noticed Faith and Kyle lingering in the doorway. An icy hand gripped her shoulder. "I know what you are," was muttered bitterly in her ear. She spun around wildly to find that Faith had moved closer but was still standing too far away from her to have spoken those words. "Did you hear that?" She asked quickly.

"What?" Kyle stammered as he continued to film the brightly-lit kitchen.

"Why is it so cold in here?" Faith asked as she stepped a little closer to Shawn, "What did you hear?"

Shawn fought the desire to run and opened her senses. The room smelled like death. Another icy hand touched the back of her neck, gripping it tightly. "You will suffer for your sins." A shiver ran down her spine and her eyes widened in fear. "Let's go." She commanded Faith, grabbing the taller woman by the arm and moving them towards the main doorway. There was no way she was going back through the dark passageway. "I’m serious; if anything starts to happen just run."

The loud sound of a slap from behind her made her spin around as Faith cried out and pulled away from her. The tall woman's face was red. "What the fu . . ." Faith sputtered as she rubbed her cheek.

"We need to get out of here. Now. Let's go." Shawn repeated forcefully.

The three raced out of the kitchen and returned to the sitting room. Althea and Lanie looked over at them with concern as Kyle sat on the floor and tried to calm himself. "That was really weird." The cameraman mumbled.

Faith just stood by the blonde’s side and rubbed her cheek. Shawn reached up and touched the reddened spot. "Are you alright?" She inquired tenderly.

"What the hell was that?" Faith asked fearfully.

"Where were the three of you?" Althea demanded.

"I’m so glad I’m staying in the van tonight." Kyle said with relief.

"Someone slapped me." Faith offered to the others.

"Did they say anything?" Shawn asked as she moved closer to Faith’s body.

"Sinner." Faith confessed with a grunt.

"Does someone want to tell me what is going on?" Althea fumed.

Shawn chuckled slightly, more out of fear than humor. "It appears that our entity is hostile." She tried to explain.

"Hostile?" Faith groused. "Excuse me but this sucker is more than hostile, it is violent. I don’t get it, the guys went in there earlier and nothing happened." Faith tried to reason. "Did it?"

"Nothing like what I just saw." Kyle insisted. "It was just an empty kitchen."

"Maybe it doesn’t like women?" Shawn tried to reason with the flustered woman. "And the kitchen is where the murders took place." Shawn said absently.

"Excuse me?" Faith stammered. "Murder? Wait, you said murders, as in more than one?"

"I think so." Shawn said, her body still trembling from what had happened in the kitchen. "I get a sense of something." She shook her head. "I can’t quite grasp the image." She explained with frustration. "Are you all right?"

"I . . . Uhm." Faith stammered.

Shawn found it amusing to see the normally stoic woman flustered and more than a little frightened. "Faith, whatever we encountered is simply energy trapped in this plane of existence." Shawn explained in hopes of calming the reporter whose face had turned ashen.

"Oh really?" Faith scoffed.

"What?" Shawn asked.

"Well it isn’t very comforting when a professional ghost hunter and psychic tells you to run." Faith pointed out. "I’ve filmed about a dozen of these things with you and not once did you say let’s get out of here. Usually it’s all earthy-crunchy ‘I feel a presence’ kind of crap. ‘Let’s got out of here now’, is the type of thing I usually hear when people are shooting at each other or bombs are going off."

"Will someone please tell me what happened?" Althea pleaded.

"I got the whole thing on tape." Kyle offered.

"Let me see." The producer rushed over eagerly.

Althea was thrilled when she watched the playback. As it grew dark candles were lit and the crew set about preparing to film. "We need more light in here." Althea demanded.

"You said candles." Jasper whined.

"Look, I want spooky but we still need to see the house and the talent." Althea said. "Bring in some lights from the van and run the cables out."

"Hey, if it’s spooky you want just try getting a bagel from the kitchen." Faith said, her body still trembling from the eerie encounter.

"This is going great." Althea beamed as Kyle and Jasper scurried about to fill her demands.

"Great?" Faith fumed.

"Yeah, with what Shawn said at the cemetery and then with the whole thing in the kitchen. We even picked up a voice calling you a sinner on the tape." Althea explained. "It is very faint and could have been a gust of wind but if you listen real close you can hear it."

"The batteries are dead again." Kyle grumbled, interrupting the conversation.

Everyone groaned in exasperation. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence on these assignments. Entities drew energy from whatever source they could find. The crew’s equipment was a favorite source of power. "What happened at the cemetery?" Faith asked Shawn as Kyle went in search of new batteries for the cameras.

"I just sensed something." Shawn said in a casual manner. Faith glared at her silently, demanding an explanation. "I sensed that two people that should be there aren’t." She tried to explain.

"I’m not liking this gig." Faith said with exasperation. "I know that Althea wanted us to be surprised, but this is ridiculous."

"I think it is safe to say that Whispering Pines is haunted." Shawn concluded.

"No kidding." Faith shot back sarcastically. "I think that was confirmed when something slapped me."

"You are really troubled by that?" Shawn asked.

"Well, yeah." Faith sputtered. "Other than the nuns back in school and one ex-girlfriend, being slapped across the face isn’t something I’m accustomed to."

"Well maybe if you hadn’t cheated on her, the girlfriend, not the nuns, she wouldn’t have slapped you." Shawn reasoned, not really comfortable with the idea of someone reacting violently.

"How much did you see when you took that tour around my head?" Faith complained.

"That my dear, was just an educated guess." Shawn laughed in response. "All I saw was you caught in a war zone and you watching me get out of my car earlier today."

"I don’t believe you." Faith grumbled.

"Okay one little blurb of you having sex but that is it." Shawn confessed.

"That’s it?" Faith pushed.

"That was more than enough, thank you very much." Shawn responded growing weary of the conversation. "Don’t you find this place interesting?"

"No. I find this place scary." Faith disagreed.

Lanie primped as she reviewed her script. Once everything was in place they began. Althea set everything up for Kyle and Jasper to start filming. Althea gave Lanie her cue as the camera began to film the big-haired woman in front of the fireplace.

"Welcome to Whispering Pines." The platinum blonde started. "This Mansion was built in 1907 by sea Captain Horatio Stratton. Captain Stratton had amassed a small fortune, though no one knows where the money came from. He settled here with his young bride Anna, just outside of the small seacoast town of Stewart, Massachusetts. He built Whispering Pines deep in the woods. By all accounts Captain Stratton was a cold distant man who rarely ventured into town. Anna, on the other hand, was well liked by the town’s people. The couple lived alone; their servants were not allowed to stay on the premises after nightfall, even when the Captain was away at sea. Somewhere around 1912 Captain Stratton’s spinster sister, Catherine came to live with them."

Both Faith and Shawn rolled their eyes at the term, spinster. Lanie continued her dialogue for the camera. "The two women were often seen together in and around town and seemed to be very close. No one could have predicted what was discovered on the morning of October 31, 1916. The servants arrived early that Halloween morning to discovered Captain Stratton alone in the house sitting calmly in this very room smoking his pipe. What the maid found in the kitchen sent her screaming from the house. The kitchen was covered with blood. Captain Stratton never offered an explanation, he simply instructed the staff that were brave enough to remain behind to clean up the mess in the kitchen. His wife and sister were never seen again. Despite rumors and inquiries by the local authorities no one ever discovered what happened in this house eighty-six years ago this very night. Not even Captain Stratton’s young son Richard, who had been away at boarding school at the time, ever discovered the truth. Captain Stratton simply lived out his life in solitude until his death at the age of eighty-nine, quite possibly taking a dark secret with him to the grave. When he became an adult Richard Stratton built his home on the very edge of his property leaving Whispering Pines and its dark secrets behind. Over the years, several of Captain Stratton’s descendants have tried living in this once elegant Mansion. No one has managed to stay for an entire night. Until now: reporter Faith Charles and Dr. Shawn Williams have agreed to spend Halloween night here. One wants to prove that the local legends are nothing but a myth; the other wants to learn the secrets hidden here at Whispering Pines."

"Cut." Althea called out.

"Nice guy." Faith scowled. "Anyone else think he killed them?"

"That explains what I felt at the cemetery." Shawn concluded. "Anna and Catherine are the ones who aren’t buried with the family and Stratton is the reason why. He killed them and hid the bodies, denying them a decent burial."

"Maybe we should do another shot in the kitchen before we leave the two of you alone?" Althea offered brightly.

"No." Faith and Shawn flatly refused.

"What has gotten into the two of you? The last shoot I did with you guys you willingly crawled into a rat infested dungeon." Althea asked with dismay.

"We also did tequila shooters with the crew before we went in there." Faith explained.

"You what?" Althea fumed.

"She’s kidding." Shawn reassured her. It was a lie but Althea didn’t need to know that they decided to celebrate Shawn’s birthday a little early. It was a boring shoot in England where nothing remotely interesting was happening, except the constant rain. "Look a few rodents is one thing, but being bitch-slapped by some unseen entity that probably hacked his family up just for kicks is not my idea of a good time."

"We will all go in together." Althea offered.

"All of us?" Lanie squeaked.

"More camera time." Althea bribed the self-centered blonde.

"Normally, I’d be all over that." Lanie admitted. "But when Faith comes running looking like she just wet her pants, I don’t think so."

"Jasper, you and Lanie go first and take a lot of shots of the kitchen." Althea instructed them ignoring their protests. "Kyle, Faith, Shawn and I will bring up the rear. Come on people." She scolded the nervous looking group. "Shawn how can you pass this up? You have the great Faith Charles willing to admit on camera that there is something here."

The crew gathered their equipment and Lanie and Jasper went off to the kitchen. Shawn and Faith listened carefully to the radio contact they shared with Althea. They were nervous, but after a few moments it was more than apparent that nothing was happening. Reluctantly Shawn followed Kyle and Althea back to the kitchen while Faith trailed behind them once again clutching the blonde’s shirt. As they stepped into the kitchen they were both shocked that it was now warm and absolutely nothing was happening.

"Maybe it’s gone?" Faith said as they stepped further into the room.

Just as the words escaped from the brunette’s mouth, Shawn felt uneasy as the temperature suddenly dropped. "Why is it cold all of a sudden?" Althea questioned as everyone started to look around nervously. Shawn’s heart was pounding against her chest as she felt something closing in around her. ‘Sinner,’ was hissed into her ear while a cold hand gripped her throat and began to choke her. She struggled to breath and was aware that Faith was trying to pull her away from whatever had a hold on her. Suddenly the brunette went flying across the room as if someone had shoved her.

Faith struggled to her feet as Shawn fought to free herself from the icy hand gripping her throat. The others managed to free the struggling blonde then rushed both her and Faith out of the room. Once they were safely back in the sitting room Faith wrapped her arms around the trembling Shawn. "Wow, whatever that is, it doesn’t like either of you." Althea said with a hint of alarm.

"Kyle, shut the camera off." Faith barked indignantly as she rubbed Shawn’s back. "What are you saying?"

She felt the fear rolling off of the brunette and also sensed that Faith felt a need to protect her. The images that were filling her mind were muddled, mixed in by what was in the house with Faith’s thoughts. Reluctantly she pulled herself away from the taller woman’s tender embrace. "It went after us." Shawn explained in a weary tone. "It didn’t bother anyone else except us."

"Why?" Faith asked, keeping her voice level. Shawn could see that Faith was desperately trying to make sense out of what was happening. "Maybe it is what you said earlier about it not liking women?"

"It didn’t do a thing to Althea or Lanie." Shawn dismissed the theory. "Just the two of us."

"And maybe Milo." Faith added thoughtfully.

"I thought you drove Milo off?" Lanie piped in.

"No." Faith groused. "Why does everyone think that I’m some kind of bully?"

"Did he say anything?" Shawn asked.

"No he just took off like a scared rabbit." Faith explained as she folded her arms across her chest in defiant manner.

"Can we call him?" Jasper suggested as he put his camera down.

Instantly everyone reached for his or her ever-present cell phone. One by one they each found the battery dead. "Every time we come to one of these spook houses anything with a battery just dies." Faith complained.

"They need the energy." Shawn explained as she began to pace nervously.

"I’ll go out to the van and plug mine in." Althea offered. "Why don’t you boys come along and bring your cameras. I’ll take the film and we can put fresh batteries in."

Left alone, the three women paced nervously as every creak and gust of wind made them jump. After what seemed like an eternity, Althea returned alone. "Well?" Shawn inquired hopefully.

"He touched the kitchen counter and saw blood everywhere." Althea explained in a shaky tone.

"Did it touch him?" Shawn asked.

"No." Althea supplied. "And the room temperature never changed. He said that there was so much blood the walls looked like they were bleeding and there was a woman screaming in agony. He did add that he had never seen anything quite so graphic and horrific and that there was no way he was spending the night in this house. Speaking of which, it is getting late and I need to know if the two of you are going to bolt. Honestly, I wouldn’t blame you."

"I’m staying." Shawn confirmed as she bent over and picked up her sleeping bag.

"Me too." Faith agreed. "But I’m staying out of the kitchen."

"I’ll have one of the boys move the food out here." Althea offered as she waved to Lanie. "Come on Lanie, we are camping out in the van."

Lanie was out the front door before Althea finished talking. "Well, that gave me a sense of comfort." Faith grunted as she picked up her own sleeping bag. "Do you want to bunk down here?"

"Actually, there is a room on the second floor I got a very warm feeling from. I think we’ll be happier up there." Shawn answered.

"Now you tell me." Faith quipped.

After Althea gave them a set of hand held radios and Kyle moved the food out into the sitting room they were left on their own. The lights the boys had installed for filming purposes began to dim. "Peachy." Faith grumbled as they retrieved their flashlights. "So show me this room that gave you the warm fuzzies."

Shawn led the brunette up to the second floor, feeling a strange sense of comfort as they passed by the cameras that had been installed in the empty house. Shawn’s hand felt warm as she turned the doorknob to the empty room. They both stood in the doorway staring at the sight of a fire burning in the fireplace. "Althea?" Shawn squeaked into her radio. "Did you have one of the boys light a fire in one of the upstairs rooms?"

"Uhm no." Althea responded hesitantly. "Are you guys getting the fire in the shot?" She heard the director bark at her crew.

"Can you see us?" Shawn asked quickly.

"Yes." Althea reassured her. "We got the fire too."

"I’m thrilled." Shawn grumbled.

"I guess we are expected." Faith reasoned as they stepped shyly into the room.

Shawn found the room warm and inviting as they placed their sleeping bags onto the floor. "Do you notice anything about the room?" She asked her companion.

"Beside the warm cozy fire that apparently started all by itself?" Faith responded as she nudged her sleeping bag closer to Shawn’s with her foot.

"No dust." She explained as she smiled at the brunette’s presumptions.

"You’re right." Faith responded thoughtfully as she looked around. "Strange since the rest of the house is covered with it."

Shawn stifled a laugh as Faith once again nudged her sleeping bag closer to hers. "You know if you keep doing that we might as well zip them together." Shawn teased her.

"Okay." Faith readily agreed.

"Knock it off the two of you, this is network television." Althea’s voice cautioned them over the radio.

"Kill joy." Faith groused. "I like this room; it feels safe and warm."

"According to the floor plans it was Anna’s bedroom." Althea informed them.

"No wonder it is so big." Shawn commented thoughtfully. "As the lady of the house she would have had to entertain her guests up here whenever her husband was away at sea."

"Excuse me?" Faith asked, her curiosity seemingly peeked.

"It was a custom to close off the formal sitting rooms and entertain lady guests for sewing or tea in her bedroom whenever her husband was at sea." Shawn explained. "Also she wouldn’t throw any formal dinners or parties."

"Not a bad deal." Faith chuckled. "The hubby is away for months or years and your girlfriends hang out in your bedroom."

Shawn fought back a blush as for the third time that day. Her companion relaxed and the young investigator caught a glimpse of what she was thinking. "I doubt it was the naughty slumber party you are fantasizing about." Shawn scolded her as she watched the mini orgy that Faith had conjured up. Suddenly her eyes widened as something suddenly occurred to her. "Or maybe it was?"

"Guys, we lost the video and sound." Althea’s voice crackled over the radio. "Could you move to another room?"

"No." They both declined adamantly into the small radio.

"What is going on in that pretty little head of yours?" Faith encouraged the blonde who was finally putting all of the pieces together.

"Why us?" Shawn offered as Faith returned her inquiry with a blank stare. "Why did the entity attack us and ignore everyone else in that room?"

"Don’t know." Faith responded. "Its not because we are women since Mr. Spooky ignored Althea and Lanie."

"No but we do have something else in common." Shawn offered.

"Like what?" Faith scoffed. "You are a crystal wearing, sprout eating psychic and I’m normal person."

"Think about it." Shawn pushed as Faith continued to stare at her blankly. "Okay we’ll try something else. Why does a man kill his wife?"

"He’s an evil bastard." Faith concluded.

"Why else?" Shawn encouraged her.

"Money." Faith reasoned. "Of course that doesn’t fit since we know Captain Stratton was loaded. So that leaves everyone’s favorite which is infidelity. It would have to be her who was unfaithful since back then he could have been sleeping with farm animals and she wouldn’t be able to say spit about it. I still don’t get it."

"What is the common thread?" Shawn questioned her as she watched the brunette’s mind spinning.

"Mrs. Stratton cheated on her husband and something you think we both have in common?" Faith whined as she tried to connect the dots. "The only thing you and I have in common is that we are both . . ." Faith’s eyes widened with sudden understanding. "We are both gay. " She announced finally, realizing what Shawn was talking about.

"I think Anna and Catherine were very close." Shawn explained with a knowing smirk. "That would explain why this room feels so warm. It is probably where they would spend their intimate moments. The only other room that felt this warm was upstairs. A very small room that would have been reserved for a spinster sister."

The light sound of a woman’s laugh echoed through the room. "They are here." Shawn explained with a bright smile. "This was their favorite place." Shawn continued as fleeting images flew through her mind. "They would sit here." Shawn explained as she moved to the spot where she could see a table clearly. "Drink tea and steal soft touches, always careful so the servants couldn’t see them. And at night they would share Anna’s bed whenever Horatio was away." Shawn moved to the spot where she pictured the canopy bed. It was the same spot where their sleeping bags rested upon the floor. "This is the room where they made love for the first and last time."

"How did Horatio find out?" Faith questioned her eagerly.

"I don’t know." Shawn admitted. "This room is like a haven to them. They blocked him, and what happened, out of here."

They turned suddenly at the sound of heavy footsteps racing up the staircase and down the hallway. They stared at the open doorway as the door slammed shut and the footsteps vanished. Shawn was filled with a sense of love and serenity. Faith’s smile told her that her companion could feel it as well.

"Uhm, guys?" Althea’s voice crackling over the radio disrupted their bliss. "Not to worry you or anything but all of the downstairs lights just went on."

"I thought you said the power wasn’t on?" Faith questioned her frantically.

"It isn’t." Althea responded sheepishly.

They each took a cleansing breath as they picked up their flashlights. "Ready to have more fun?" Faith quipped.

"After you." Shawn waved to her as she opened the bedroom door.

"No way." Faith protested.

"Chicken." Shawn scoffed as she led them out into the empty hallway.

"Normally I’d be real upset at a comment like that." Faith commented wryly as she followed closely behind Shawn. "But after everything that has happened today I can live with it. Just remember to let me know when it is time to run."

"You got a deal." Shawn agreed as she peered over the banister to the brightly lit lower level. "He’s returned early." She said as the images of a night long ago consumed her. "It was the middle of the night when Horatio returned from a journey to England. At first they thought it was an intruder so they threw on their bed clothing and descended the staircase. Catherine was holding a rifle." She continued to narrate the scene that was unfolding before her. She could see everything as they crept down the staircase. The foyer was brightly lit and the home was now elegantly furnished. She jumped back as the stout man with a white beard ran up the staircase. "He always did that."

"Did what?" Faith asked as she gently clasped Shawn’s shoulder.

"Horatio would barge into the house when he returned and raced up the stairs to his wife’s bedroom. It didn’t matter if he was returning from a voyage or a trip into town. Whenever he entered the house he would storm up the staircase and barge into Anna’s bedroom, he always feared that someday she would take a lover. He never suspected his sister."

"Did he figure it out that night?" Faith asked urgently.

"No." Shawn responded absently as she became lost in the images.

Shawn turned as the night faded into early morning. She saw the tall slender woman dressed in a simple gray dress with long blonde hair bundled high up on her head. "Its Catherine." She explained as Catherine’s image began to descend the staircase. Shawn watched as Catherine passed them and she smiled down to the younger redheaded woman who was standing in the foyer. They exchanged a long, loving gaze before they both donned a solemn expression. "They were very good at hiding how deeply in love they were with one another." Shawn continued as she followed Catherine.

Shawn was captivated at the sights and sounds that now became very real to her. Catherine entered the dining room behind her lover, who continued into the kitchen. Catherine took her place at the table away from her brother who was seated at the head of the table. ‘Brother.’ She greeted him, her face and voice devoid of all emotion as she folded her napkin on her lap. Horatio ignored her greeting as he always did.

"They ate breakfast." Shawn continued. "It is so real, I can smell the food." She explained. "Anna served the meal and no one spoke except Horatio and that was only when he wanted one of them to serve him."

"You can see all that?" Faith asked fearfully.

"Everything." Shawn confirmed as she watched the family eating their morning meal in silence. Occasionally, she caught the shy glances the two women exchanged. "I can see the mahogany table, the lace curtains. I can see, hear and smell everything."

"Shawn." Faith cautioned as they stepped deeper into the room.

Shawn ignored Faith’s words as the two women began to clear away the dirty dishes. They made their way down the same hallway Shawn had been drawn to earlier that day. Horatio remained behind reading some papers as he puffed on his pipe. She heard him moving to the sitting room, just off of the dining room. She almost choked from the pungent aroma from his pipe.

"Shawn." Faith said in a panic as the blonde reached for the door that they now knew led into the kitchen.

"Where is she going?" Althea asked over the radio.

"Shawn." Faith repeated fearfully.

Shawn ignored her companion and stepped into the kitchen. It was bright and sunny. The two women moved about the room confidently. "He never goes into the kitchen, they know that they are safe. They touch one another lightly as they brush past each other while they clean up after the morning meal. They wash the dishes and clean everything. They are finished and Catherine stands behind Anna. She caresses her neck and shoulders. They stop when they think they hear something. They listen and hear nothing more. Feeling confident Catherine wraps her arms around Anna’s waist from behind and begins to kiss her lover’s neck." Shawn cried out as she watched the shadowy figure enter the room from the back door.

‘I know what you are.’ He hissed as he raised the ax. ‘Sinner.’ He hissed again as he wrapped his hand around his wife’s throat after striking his sister down.

"Oh my God, oh my God." Shawn began to chant as the bloody scene unfolded before her. Even when she closed her eyes she could still see the scene playing out before her. She was only dimly aware that Faith had pulled her from the room and dragged her back upstairs to Anna’s bedroom.

Shawn slowly relaxed as she felt her body wrapped up in a warm embrace. She shook her head when she realized that she was upstairs sitting on her sleeping bag nestled in Faith’s arms. "It was awful." Shawn choked out.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Faith gently asked.

"I should do a recap for Althea." Shawn sniffed as she looked up at Faith.

"Too late." Faith tried to explain. "After you started screaming ‘Oh my God’ they lost contact with us."

"What do you mean, the video and sound are down?" Shawn tried to process what she had just heard.

"Everything." Faith said slowly. "First the feed from the cameras, then I lost radio contact with them. The last thing Althea said was they saw a figure heading towards the wood shed. Oh and I can’t get the door or windows to open. So we are stuck in here."

"How long was I out of it?" Shawn asked in a bewildered tone.

"Quite awhile." Faith informed her in a careful tone. "You really freaked out."

"We should be safe if we stay in here." Shawn offered still clinging tightly to Faith’s body.

"Really?" Faith asked her in a hopeful tone.

"I think so." Shawn tried to reassure the reporter. "At least the fire is still going."

"See it won’t be so bad." Faith said softly. "You and me curled up in a sleeping bag next to a cozy fire."

Shawn released a light chuckle into Faith’s chest. She pulled away and took a deep breath. "What he did to them was horrible." She started, trying to detach herself from the image of what she had witnessed. "They were in the kitchen and felt safe since he never went in there. Why would he? They were simply holding hands and touching each other. He saw them from the doorway. They never knew. Horatio had exited the house through the front door and went out to the woodshed and got an ax. Then he came back into the house through the kitchen door. They were embracing and never heard him coming. You can figure out what happened next."

"What a sick bastard." Faith grumbled as she began to caress Shawn’s shoulders.

"No kidding." Shawn agreed as she leaned into Faith’s touch. It was then she noticed something that made her smile. "You zipped the sleeping bags together?"

"It’s not what you think." Faith defended her actions as Shawn flashed her as suspicious smirk. "Come on, you know what I’m thinking."

"No I don’t." Shawn responded. "Granted, for the first time I did get a glimpse, but it only happened three times when your defenses were down. The first time was when you brushed my hair out of my eyes. The second time when you got angry with Kyle for filming us while you were trying to comfort me. The last time was when that filthy mind of yours was picturing just how the lady of the house would entertain her female guest while her husband was at sea."

"Did you like that one?" Faith encouraged her as she wrapped her arms around Shawn’s waist.

"You are very creative." Shawn sighed in response. "So if you are not making a pass Miss Charles, then why did you zip our sleeping bags together?"

"Well I don’t know about you, but I’m not planning on closing my eyes in this house." Faith began to explain in a serious tone. "I just feel a need to be close to you since, well, you are the only other person running around here that is actually breathing."

"Oh." Shawn responded with a hint of regret. She tried to pretend that she wasn’t disappointed that Faith wasn’t interested in her. She glanced at her wristwatch. "It is just after ten thirty. We have another hour and a half, that is if we can get out of here at midnight."

"I’ll be fine as long as we stay in this room." Faith said quietly as she pulled Shawn closer to her. "It is so warm, it is almost like I feel the love they shared."

"I know. I feel it too." Shawn agreed. "I can also feel the passion." She added shyly, as she leaned her body into Faith’s.

Shawn was feeling the strangest sensations enveloping her body. She could feel the warmth of Faith’s body behind her. She could even feel the steady beating of the taller woman’s heart. Yet there was something or someone else she was feeling as well, then she saw the bed emerge. It was a lace covered canopy bed. She saw Anna and Catherine standing next to the bed. She felt the nervous tension that surrounded them when Anna reached up and cupped Catherine’s face.

As Anna touched Catherine’s face she leaned back in Faith’s tender embrace and touched the brunette’s face in the same fashion. Shawn was lying across Faith’s lap as she watched Catherine capture her sister-in-law’s hand. Faith’s strong gentle hand seemed to mirror Catherine’s actions. ‘Sister?’ Catherine whispered nervously. ‘Do not call me that.’ Anna choked out, her heart beating rapidly as each word passed her lips. ‘For what I feel for you is anything but sisterly.’ The smaller woman said in a breathy tone as she pulled Catherine’s face closer to her own.

Without realizing what she was doing, Shawn gently lowered Faith’s face to her own. The feel of Faith’s warm breath caressing her face was mixed with the passionate feelings emanating from Catherine and Anna. As the faint image of the two women kissed, Shawn felt Faith’s soft lips brushing against her own. Shawn gave herself over to the feeling of Faith’s mouth exploring her own and she parted her lips as she felt Faith’s tongue tracing her bottom lip.

She knew that she was mirroring the actions of the Catherine and Anna as Catherine lowered Anna down onto the bed; Faith was lowering her down onto the sleeping bags, yet she was helpless to stop what was happening. Her eyes drifted shut as she felt Faith’s warm body melting into her own. She kissed the reporter deeply yet could still see the images of Catherine and Anna.

Catherine kissed Anna deeply and began to slowly remove the smaller woman’s cumbersome clothing while Faith was doing the same to Shawn. The young psychic’s body tingled as Faith caressed her body. Her body was pulsating with desire as Faith began to kiss her down her neck while Catherine lovingly was doing the same to Anna.

Shawn clutched at Faith’s clothing, her body demanded more while Anna mirrored her actions. "They are making love." Shawn managed to choke out as she felt Faith’s mouth worshipping the swell of her now exposed breasts. In her mind she saw Catherine doing the same to Anna. "Everything we are doing they are doing." She offered, not wanting to break the spell, but fearful that she and Faith were caught up in something that had nothing to do with them.

"Do you want me to stop?" Faith whispered against her skin as Catherine echoed her words.

"No." Shawn and Anna responded in unison.

She felt Faith’s body lifting slightly off of her own. "Open your eyes Shawn." Faith’s voice pleaded. Shawn’s hazel eyes blinked open. Her breathing hitched as Faith captured her in fiery gaze. "Look at me." Faith pleaded softly. "I can feel them. I can feel their intense passion. This has nothing to do with them." Faith reassured her.

The look in Faith’s eyes conveyed the sincerity of her words as a fleeting image flashed through Shawn’s mind showing her Faith’s true feelings. Shawn reached up and gently guided Faith down and reclaimed her lips. The fire that burned in her came solely from her lover and not from the passion that filled the room from the passionate energy of Catherine and Anna’s love.

"I need to see you." Shawn and Anna pleaded.

Both Catherine and Faith lifted their bodies and stood before their lovers. Each of them undressed under the lustful gaze of their lovers. Then both lowered themselves into the arms of the naked woman lying before them. Shawn moaned deeply as she felt her body melting into Faith’s.

Shawn ran her hands down Faith’s body as the brunette once again began to kiss her way down the blonde’s neck. With each kiss, Shawn’s body burned with a needy desire. Shawn cried out as she felt Faith’s tongue circling her nipple. Once again she was aware that they were mirroring Anna and Catherine’s actions.

Shawn’s body arched as she felt Faith capturing her nipple in her mouth. As Faith teased her breast, the blonde’s thigh slipped between the brunette’s legs. Shawn’s heart was beating rapidly as she felt her lover’s desire painting her skin. Shawn’s hands drifted down Faith’s body as Anna’s mirrored her movements. Each clasped her lover’s hips, gently guiding their bodies to grind against welcoming thighs. Shawn’s need raged through her as Faith worshipped her breasts with her mouth and rocked gently against her body.

Shawn felt her body trembling as Faith kissed her way down her body while Catherine did the same to Anna’s. Shawn was no longer able to speak or think as she felt Faith’s warm breath caressing the inside of her now trembling thighs. The only thing she was aware of was Faith’s touch and the fiery image of Catherine and Anna lost in the some throes of passion.

Shawn tried to erase the image of Anna and Catherine as she looked down her trembling body and watched her lover feasting upon her wetness. She gave herself over to Faith’s touch as her mind and body screamed in a need to touch the brunette who was pleasuring her. Shawn clutched at the nylon sleeping bags as her body erupted against Faith’s touch. The blonde didn’t allow her body to still as she pulled her lover up in her arms and wrapped her body around Faith.

Her body ignited, as she tasted herself on Faith’s warm inviting lips. Their hands caressed and pleasured each other. As the images of Anna and Catherine faded Shawn and Faith continued to explore one another until they collapsed into a loving embrace.

Faith was spooning her naked body as Shawn released a contended sigh. Her hazel eyes drifted to the bedroom window. "The sun is coming up." She said softly.

"Hmm." Faith murmured in response as the bedroom door slowly opened.

Both women lifted themselves up slowly and looked at the now open door as the morning light began to fill the room. Shawn looked around as she relaxed into Faith’s embrace. "The fire is gone." She noted as she stared at the fireplace that was now empty. There was no wood or ashes; it was barren. Her attention quickly turned to the camera mounted just above the doorway. Thankfully the tell- tale red light that blinked when the camera was on was still dim.

"We should get dressed." Faith whispered in her ear. "I have a feeling that the film and sound equipment is going to go back on line soon."

They moved quickly and gathered themselves together. Just as they made their way back downstairs Althea and the rest of the crew burst through the front door. "Thank God." The exasperated producer blurted out as Shawn began to collect and check her equipment. "We’ve been trying to get in here all night."

"How did the airing go?" Shawn asked as cast a shy smile over at the blushing reporter.

"Great." Lanie said in a rushed tone. "The stuff from the kitchen blew everyone’s socks off."

Everyone started to babble on and on about how well the segment had been received as Shawn continued to pack up her equipment while she and Faith exchanged warm glances. They had one more filming to endure and then they were free to go and leave Whispering Pines behind them. As Shawn checked her readings she wondered what would happen between her and Faith once they left the old mansion?

Shawn had to bite back from making a snide comment when Faith admitted on camera that Whispering Pines was indeed haunted. Shawn filmed her commentary quickly, eager to leave the mansion as she felt Captain Stratton’s presence lingering around them.

Once they had wrapped up everything she and Faith stared at one another. Each of them seemed to be searching for something to say to the other. When no words seemed forthcoming Shawn simply gathered up her heavy equipment. Without a word Faith relieved her of some her belongings. They strode out to Shawn’s car and loaded the equipment up.

"I guess I won’t be getting a book out of this one." Faith offered in a light tone once the equipment had been packed away.

"You could co-author one with me." Shawn offered as they both leaned up against her car. Faith seemed to be lost in thought. "What is it?"

"I just wish that there was something we could do for them." Faith said softly. "Anna and Catherine. I wish there were some way to release them from this. It seems that they are forced to relive everything. Some of it is nice but they still have to face losing one another again and again."

"A cleansing might help." Shawn offered hopefully.

"Oh please." Faith scoffed. "Some idiot waving incense telling them that they are free to go. Do you honestly believe that no one has told them to get out before now?"

Shawn smiled as Faith’s unwavering reluctance to except the unknown returned in full force. "You are probably right." Shawn conceded. "And it’s probably been tried already. I don’t know, other than finding their bodies and finally giving them a decent burial they are probably destined to remain trapped here. Personally, I don’t have the courage to go up against Captain Stratton again."

"Me either." Faith agreed. "This has been the strangest twenty-four hours of my life."

"Mine too." Shawn agreed with a shy smile.

"So where are you off to now?" Faith inquired shyly.

"I have a room booked at a hotel a couple of towns over." Shawn explained. "It won’t take us long to get there. After we get cleaned up, you are taking me to breakfast."

"Pretty sure of yourself." Faith quipped with a brilliant smile.

Shawn was nervous as she wondered if what had happened last night was just a fling for the reporter. Her fears vanished as she felt Faith’s arms encircling her waist. Shawn turned to face the tall brunette. "I’ll follow you." Faith said with a smile before placing a promising kiss on Shawn’s soft lips.

"Yes you will." Shawn responded confidently.

The End

send comments to yomavis@email.com

for updates, previews & the wednesday afternoon series join my egroup,

yomavis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com


Return to The Bard's Corner