DISCLAIMERS:

Violent Content Warning: This story does contain scenes of a violent nature.

Alternative Content Warning: This story also contains a loving relationship between two women, though nothing graphic.

Uber Warning: This story is an uber. The two characters are based off the leading ladies of XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS.

Crossover Content: I make reference to my second favorite show, Pacific Blue. My favorite being Xena of course.

Author’s Notes: This is number four in my ‘Gang’ series. I suggest reading the first three before proceeding. All positive comments are welcome. Negatives I will simply ignore. Send your thoughts to startrek@ellijay.com.

 

 

The Gang’s All Here

Part 4

 

"Gabby?" I called as I entered the house.

"Yeah?" came from the back.

"Come here. I wanna ask you something." She dragged into view. I knew she had not felt well lately. "Tonight’s couples night at the firing range. Wanna go?" She smiled, then starting chuckling. While looking right at me, she gradually broke into full fledged bellowing laughter. "What?" She continued to laugh.

"Couples night." she managed to say between breaths.

"Yeah, yeah. It was the commissioner’s idea. The idea was to let families do something together."

"I’m sorry." she sobered. "It just struck me funny." I grinned.

"I can see that. Is that a yes or a no?"

"Yes." She grabbed my jacket off of the couch and put it on.

"And just what am I supposed to wear?" I said playfully. She held up my police bomber jacket. That is my favorite jacket and she knew it. I took it from her with a smile.

 

This ‘family’ idea had worked pretty good over the last few years, but I never had anyone to bring before. After Gabby and I got shot a month ago, the entire unit now knows I’m gay. They took it surprisingly well. "Hey Sarge." I waved nonchalantly at Willman. As he approached us, I wrapped my arm around Gabby’s shoulders. "This is my girlfriend, Stella. Stella this my sergeant, Zena Walker and her girlfriend...ahhh.."

"Gabby." I offered.

"Right, Gabby." he smiled.

"Hi." she said happily. "So nice to meet you." She shook my hand vigorously, nearly taking my arm off in the process. However, she eyed Gabby but said nothing.

As soon as I wretched myself loose, I pulled her towards the safety monitor. I grabbed two pairs of safety glasses and ear covers. However, the two followed us. Damn. "Hand guns or shotguns?" I asked.

"Hand guns." she said. Without a word, she choose the booth that held a nine millimeter cloak. I watched as she picked it up and began firing. Every shot was right in the head of the paper dummy.

"Nice." I said, truly impressed. I was impressed to see her eject the magazine and expertly release the bullet in the chamber.

"You’ve done that before." Willman said.

"Few times." Gabby said quietly. Uh oh. He was entering private territory.

"Judging by the way you dress, you’ve probably killed some people." his girlfriend said sternly.

"Honey.." he warned. Gabby turned to her menacingly. If it weren’t for my arm, she would have advanced.

"I wish the city had enough money to have delinquents like you taken care of."

"Stella! Hush." Willman said, shaking his girlfriend’s arm.

"Or I could kill you for free right now." Gabby said angrily. I grabbed Gabby as she tried to move.

"Willman, your girl is out of line."

"Yes, mame. I’m sorry. Stella, get your ass in the car!" He pushed her towards the parking lot.

"You okay?" I rubbed her back.

"Yeah, not the first idiot I’ve come across." I pulled to me with a smile.

We began walking through the various booths until we ended up outside. I smiled as I saw Flanders next to the obstacle course cruiser. "Hey, I’ve got an idea. How about a little road fun?" I pointed towards the car.

"Cool." she smiled. I moved up to Buddy.

"Hey Buddy. Can I borrow your car?" I asked.

"You know I really shouldn’t because..." I held up a twenty. "Once around." he said snatching it from my hand. I turned to Gabby.

"Get in." I hopped into the cruiser.

"Didn’t know there was so much stuff in one these. First time I’ve rode in the front." She smiled. I laughed.

"Ready?"

"Yeah." she said strapping in. I hit the gas and weaved through the cones in record time, not so much as touching on. I executed the full speed 360 turn flawlessly, squealing the tires loudly. I hit the straight away at fifty and slammed the brakes at the end, sliding to a stop exactly where we started.

"That was awesome!" Gabby said as we exited. I met at the hood and I looped my arm around her and approached Flanders.

"How was it?" I asked. He looked at his stopwatch and then shook it.

"A minute 20." he said, not believing it.

"Yes! Tell the captain, his record just got flushed." As I turned and headed back to my jeep, I said. "The captain held the record for that course. It was a minute 22."

"Well, maybe you’ll get a raise." she smiled as she stopped and leaned on the hood of my jeep.

"Or a demotion." I smiled.

 

"Hey, Zena!" I turned around and saw a few familiar faces.

"Hey!" I chuckled. "Haven’t seen you guys in quite awhile." I hugged Cory and Chris.

"Hey, Gabby. This is Cory McNamera, Chris Kelly, and T.C Calloway. Their part of the bike patrol I used to ride for."

"Cool." Gabby said, shaking hands with them.

"Until she wussed out and got a car." T.C smiled.

"Oh yeah? Race ya." I said pointing to the cruiser behind us. "Guys, this is Gabby Taylor." They all greeted her warmly. "Heard you two got hitched." I said motioning between Chris and T.C. "Glutten for punishment, Chris?"

"Right." T.C. huffed. "Anytime old woman." Gabby tried, unsuccessfully, to stop her laughter. "So, how’s Crash been treatin’ ya?"

"Can’t complain. Actually I can, but what’s the point?" I smiled.

"Well, don’t be such stranger. Come by the firehouse sometime."

"I will. See you guys later." I watched them walk away towards the shooting range.

"Good friends of yours?" Gabby asked as we climbed in.

"Yeah, their the best. You want to stop for pizza or something?" She looked at me with her, ‘Do you have to ask?’ look.

 

As I searched my dryer for a clean work T-shirt, I asked Gabby, "What are going to do today?"

"Mrs. Thurgood called me. She insists I bring her a copy of my latest epic for her ‘approval’ when I go and pick my printer paper."

"You need any cash?" I slipped my shirt over my head and began tugging it in.

"Nah, I got it covered."

"When’s your follow-up appointment with Danny?" I slung my gunbelt on my shoulder.

"Ahhhh, Zena." she whined. She’s so cute when she does that.

"Don’t Ahhhh Zena me. If I have to go, you have go." I kissed her softly on the lips.

"Buy, baby. I’ll see at three okay? Will you be here?"

"Should be." she jumped off of her perch on top of the washing machine. "Be careful.

Love you."

"Love you, too. Page me if you need anything."

"Okay."

 

I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something just wasn’t right. I was barely able to finish that thought before a set of arms wrapped around me. "Hey, Little G." It was J.J. He literally picked me up and jerked me into the alley where I saw Vernon, Deion, and the one that always branished brass knuckles.

"Get the fuck off me." I shoved him away.

"Well, if it isn’t slick. Your pretty fast." Deion grinned. "What are you doin’ in our turf, Hell Cat?"

"One, I’m not a Hell Cat. Two, this is X turf." Chocolate’s boys would never hurt me. So I felt safe in this neighborhood. That’s why I was here alone.

"Was X turf. Its ours now." Knuckles said harshly. I knew they were false claiming. I would have found out from Chocolate if something major went down.

The three of them together blocked my escape. "What do ya want with me?" They laughed. This can’t be good. Once again, ‘Why me?’ flashed through my brain. Trouble seems to find me and stick like glue.

"Just relax." J.J advanced. He got right hook for his trouble. His buddies laughed when he staggered back onto his ass. "Fuckin’ bitch." He lept up and tackled me. Another punch sent him reeling. His three buddies took it from here. Knuckles had to be 250. His weight was enough to hold me down. I was scared now. I couldn’t move. I was pinned underneath a truck of muscle.

 

 

I don’t know how much timed had passed. I had cried all the tears I had. My back was killing me. In the process of struggling my shirt lifted up underneath me, exposing my back to sheer asphalt. It was scraped pretty bad. I was sure of it. Heavy footfalls and yelling suddenly broke the silence of the alley. "Hey!" Punch. Kick. "What the fuck you doin’, Switch." My head felt like it was filled with lead as I lifted it of the pavement. Five black guys, wearing gray rags, were beating on my captors.

"Get your punkass’s outta here!" one yelled, shoving J.J and Vernon out of the alley. Knuckles was lying a couple of feet away from me. A guy I recognized from Forcer’s helped me stand.

 

"You ai’ght, Little G?" I winced when I straightened my back.

"Yeah, thanks."

"Kill that mother fucker!" he pointed at Knuckles.

"No." I grabbed his arm. "Let him go."

"But he was....."

"Please." I cut him off. He motioned and his friends just picked him up and dumped him out the alley.

"Don’t come back, Switch." one said.

"You sure your ai’ght?"

"Yeah. Tell Chocolate I said thanks."

"No prob. He said to watch ya back when your in our hood" The money I gave him for that bus two years ago was money well spent. Later he found out it was J’s drug money and he sent me a note saying:

If you ever want a club, you know where to come.

Chocolate

It helps to have friends in low places.

My hands were shaking so bad when I drove home, that I had to pull over twice to catch my breath. I can’t believe what happened. I even surprise myself at what I can get into. I just had this sudden urge to punch something. As I pulled into our driveway, I glanced my watch. Damn, its five. Zena’s cruiser was in the driveway.

I walked into the living room. I didn’t see Zena anywhere around. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Ahhhh!" I screamed and turned around, bringing my knee up. The minute I connected, I realized I just kneed Zena in the groin.

"Ohhh." she groaned. She stopped herself before she could fall. "Damn, Gabby." she hissed. "What was that for?" She righted herself. She looked up and saw the terrified look I knew I had.

"I’m sorry, Zena. I didn’t mean to do that."

"Its okay. I startled you.......Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I said quietly. I took great care in sitting down on the couch. I didn’t want to hurt my back and I didn’t want Zena to know about my back. She was about to ask something, when the phone rang.

"Hello. Hey. Fine. Yeah, she’s right here." She handed me the phone. "Its Jenny."

"Hello?"

"Hey, still on for breakfast tomorrow right?"

"Yeah..I guess."

"Great. I’ll be over in the morning."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

While Zena fixed dinner, I jumped into the shower. Oh gods that stings! My back was cover in scratches and dirt. I let the water run over my wounds to clean them and began to cry again. "Gabby." she said through the door. I had locked it when I came in. "Are you alright?"

"I’m fine."

"Well...dinner’s ready. I’ll see you when your through." She didn’t say a word about me locking her out. I never did that before today. In fact, I liked to the leave the door wide open. I still remember the first time she took that invitation and joined me. She made love to me in the shower until that ice cold water cut us off from our fun. I still laugh when I think about when she screamed.

I sat down and did nothing but pick at my food, which was totally out of character for me. "I thought you liked my spagetti."

"I do....just not hungry." She put her glass of ice tea down slowly.

"What’s wrong with your back?"

"How did..."

"I saw the way you sat down. What’s wrong?"

"I...ah got jumped by J.J, hurt my back."

"Are you okay?" she said worriedly.

"Yeah, you should see him." I joked. She eyed me for a moment before returning to her meal.

 

Sleeping on my stomach, kept me up most of the night. That and the adrenaline running through me. I watched Zena sleep all night. For once, I was up before she was. I was glad that Cameron and Jenny were taking me to breakfast because Ze was beginning to put on the pressure about yesterday.

"Hey, Gabby." Jenny said as she came in. "Ready?"

"Yeah, let me just grab my jacket." I picked my jacket and my keys fell out of the pocket.

I bent over to pick it up, when my knife fell out of my khakis and cluttered to the floor. Shit! Before I could pick it up, Zena did. She started to hand it back to me, when she suddenly realized what is was.

"Jenny, could wait in the car? Gabby will be out in a sec."

"Sure." When the door closed, her face contorted.

"Where did you get this?"

"Its mine, always had it." I said defensively.

"Not anymore." she said angrily.

"Damn it Zena! That was dad’s. He gave it to me!" She flicked the catch, causing the blade to snap out.

"These are illegal Gabby and you know it!"

"Give it back. Its mine." I said quietly trying to hold my temper in check. So help me, I feel like kicking her ass and I don’t know where all this anger is coming from.

"Gabby...."

"NO! Don’t you dare tell me I don’t need it! Funny, that’coming from you. You’ve got a gun, mace, and knight stick. I don’t have shit!" Her eyes grew wide in surprise at how irritated I got. She closed the knife and started to put in her pocket. "Do you have two gangs after your ass?" She turned her back on me. That was it. I knew I was gonna snap. I reached forward and spun her around. I decked her across the face. Before she even had time to register what just happened, I grabbed my knife from her hand and bolted out of the door.

I slowed to a walk as I came in Jenny’s view. I wasted no time in climbing in the backseat. Luckily they had the car running and pulled away from the curb as soon as I was in. "Fight?" Cameron asked.

"Difference of opinion." I corrected. They both nodded. I looked back, but didn’t see Zena come out of the house. My guess is she’s trying to figure out why I just hit her.

I have no idea why I was so upset. My blood was boiling. It seems like every little thing was getting under my skin. By the time breakfast was over, I was ready to kill. Cameron dropped me off in front of the house. I knew Ze was off today. I stood for a moment, debating on whether to go in or not. What was I going to say? I opted to walk two blocks over to the bus stop. Once again, I took the cowardly way out.

Now I knew I have flipped my gourd. I was on bus 18. It goes right towards Giller. However, I got off across from the Thomason’s liquor store. I have never been much for drinking, but I just wanted to get hammered. I selected my favorite flavor of Boone’s Farm, Kiwi Strawberry. Even before I got to the counter, I pulled out my I.D. I knew he would ask. I handed to the rather gruffy looking clerk. "Take off your cap, please." Sigh. I did. Damn, the picture is me. "Okay, that’ll be 2.83." I slapped a five on the counter.

"Keep the change."

"Thanks." he smiled.

Another four blocks and I was at the park. LB was exactly where she always was, doing what she always did. "Hey, Cuz." I smiled.

"Hey, Little G." We buddy shaked and looked at the kid next to her.

"Spread out." I motioned. The look on my face was enough to make her move. I sat next to my cousin as she watched the park goers go by on their business.

"So, watcha been up to, G?"

"Nothin’ much." I sighed. "I had a fight with Ze."

"What about?"

"My knife."

"The one Uncle Kenny gave you?"

"Yeah, she said switch blades are illegal. She tried to take it and I punched her." I opened the bottle and chugged it.

 

"So’s drinkin’ in the park." the girl said.

"Shut up, Dana." LB said as she took the bottle from me and took a drink.

Between the two of us, we finished off the bottle in thirty minutes. After saying my goodbyes, I walked back to the bus stop, hopped from bus to bus until I ran out of money. On my last fare, I boarded one that would take me home. It was about eight when I made it back. I walked in and Zena was sitting on the couch watching t.v. as she petted Ares.

"Hey." she said quietly. "Where have you been?"

"Out." I sat down next to her and Ares moved over and patted him on the head.

"You’ve been drinking."

"Yep." I said nonchalantly.

"Are you gonna talk to me?"

"I’m sorry I hit you, but...."

"I’m not talking about that. What’s got your panties in wade lately?" I studied her before saying, "Nothin." She sighed heavily and got up and went into the bedroom.

 

I awoke again for the second night in a row, drenched in sweat and sore. I turned over and saw Zena still sleeping. What was I gonna do? Tell her? I started to tear up at the idea of telling her. I couldn’t help it. I reached out and woke her. "What is it, Babe?" she said sleepily. I wrapped my arms around her and cried.

 

If I wasn’t confused about Gabby’s behavior lately, I sure am now. She woke me up in the middle of the night and wanted me to hold her. I did without a second thought. It just furthered my suspicion that something had happened that she wasn’t telling me. At first I thought it was just shock over being jumped the other day, but it was deeper than simple shock.

Right before I left for work, I saw her sitting at the table with her head in her hand looking pitiful. I called in and told them I was taking some personal time. I sat down next to her and took her hand. "I’m staying home today." She looked over at me with sad eyes. "Is that okay?" I asked quietly. She nodded. "Baby...please talk to me." Just as I suspected, she remained silent. "I’m going to make some breakfast. You want anything?"

"No." she said sadly.

 

"Hon, you haven’t eaten since breakfast yesterday." She got up from the table.

"I’m gonna take a shower." I sat back in my chair, defeated.

 

Gabby moped around all day, not so much as looking out of a window. However, she drank three beers. "Gabby, I’m going to the store to grab some munchies. Wanna come?"

"No." she said from the couch. Gabby never turned down that offer. I would let her buy anything she wanted. Taking her, I could spend a hundred easy.

After I came home, I noticed Gabby was asleep on the couch and was tossing fitfully.

"Baby, wake up." I shook her shoulder. She awoke with the same terrified look she had last night. "You okay?"

"No, not really." I actually started to get up and move, thinking she was going to blow me off again.

"Talk to me." I sat down next to her and noticed that her hands were shaking. "Come here." I pulled her into my embrace. Her whole body was shaking.

"I’m scared." She said it so quietly, I almost missed it.

"Of what?"

"My life." She squeezed me. "I’m a big screw up."

"No your not." I rubbed her arms. "What makes you say that?"

"Everybody wants to fuck me. Why can’t they leave me alone?"

"Who? Big J?"

"Everybody, Big J, the Switches, Allison. Sometimes I feel your the only person in the world that can tolerate me and when you took my knife, I thought I finally got on your nerves too."

"That’s not true and don’t tolerate you. I love you." I kissed the top of her head for emphasis. "I’m sorry I tried to take it, but I don’t want you carrying it out of the house. Okay? Its illegal. They can slap you with a concealed weapon’s and possession of an illegal object charge. That would mean jail time and couldn’t be away from you."

"Okay." she agreed.

 

"You said your dad gave it to you?"

"Yeah. He was part of a motor club in San Diego when he was teenager. That’s what the initials on the handle stand for." She sighed heavily. "He died with my mother in a car accident. My sister was just a baby. She didn’t remember much."

"What was your sister’s real name?"

"Lillian." she chuckled. "She always hated that name. My dad used to called her Lila for short. Big J named her Mousey because she was so little. She was a little shorter than me and smaller."

I knew we had gotten off of the subject at hand, but she was opening up to me. I could tell that what she was telling me, was for me only. I don’t think she ever talks about this with anybody else and I’ll be damned if I’m going to cut her off. I was prepared to hold her and listen all night if I had to. We had moved to me sitting against the arm rest, stretched out and Gabby leaning back against my chest. She held my forearms that were wrapped around her waist. "I still don’t know how Aunt Janet became Big J. Does that make any sense?" She turned her head.

"Yeah. Just came out of nowhere?"

"She always drank too much. Everyone knew that. That and her ability to ruin every relationship she’s been in. She never liked me, I know that. Everybody always told me I was too mature. I had respect though. No one messes with Little G." I smiled at that quote. She used it on our first date. "Now everyone messes with me." I could understand her frustration. A lump formed in my throat. I knew that most of her problems originated from me. They beat her up when she told them I was her friend. One of my own officers set her up and tried to kill her. Not to mention the Switches and Hell Cats breathing down her neck. I can understand now why she lost it and hit me. I was probably the last straw to her patience. "Man, I’m tired." she yawned.

"Glad to here it." I smiled. "You haven’t slept in two days. Come on. I’ll turn in with you."

 

I knew where I was before I even opened my eyes. I smelled the clean air and felt the breeze. I looked around for some sign of the two doppelgangers. My mood began to darken again. I was so close to telling Ze and then I got off and started talking about my dad. I walked towards the sound of rushing water. It was a river.

"Now, there you go. You’ve got it." It was Xena’s voice. I rounded a bend and saw them knee deep in the river. Xena was behind her holding her arms. "There!" I watched as Gabrielle snatched a fish right out of the water.

Xena looked up and smiled. "Hey." I waved.

"Hi, Gabby." Gabrielle said as they both began walking towards me. Gabrielle held up the fish in her hands. "Neat huh?"

"Yeah." I said. "I.....guess I have a problem." I said quietly. I took a seat on a fallen log.

"Didn’t tell her did you?" Xena asked as she dried her hands. I nodded.

"How can I? I can’t even deal with this myself."

"Uhh Xena, I’m going to find Argo. I need to get a scroll." Gabrielle said, moving away.

"Okay, Love." Xena kissed her tenderly on the lips. "Be careful." she called after her.

She turned to me and said, "Are you afraid she won’t love you anymore?"

"No, of course not. Its just that our relationship has had a few strains lately. I just don’t want to put anything else on her shoulders."

"What about your shoulders? Part of a good relationship is sharing the burden. Let her help you."

"I’m holding up fine."

"Now...what about later?"

"Whatever." I stood and she stepped in front me. She towered over me, just like Zena does. Those eyes, those beautiful blue eyes. If she wasn’t wearing that leather, I might be fooled into thinking she was my Zena. Suddenly, for reasons I’m not sure of, I started to cry. I started to walk away, but she grabbed my arm.

"Gabby." she said softly. I jerked away from her, only to go right into her arms. I could feel the same strength in her arms as Zena’s. "Shhhh." she soothed. I didn’t think I would shed tears over this, but I was.

 

"Gabby." I shook her shoulder. Once again, she was crying in her sleep. As soon as her eyes opened, she reached for me and I held her.

"Zena. I’m sorry." she cried. "They...." she sniffed.

 

"Shhhh. What Baby?"

"Zena.....J.J....raped me. They all did. I’m so sorry I messed up." she sobbed. I don’t think I have ever felt my heart fall into my feet until that moment. She had been holding this in for far too long.

"You didn’t mess up, Baby." I whispered. "It wasn’t your fault." I held her as tight as I dared. I felt my eyes dampen as I listened to the sounds of her crying.

 

To Be Continued.......Part 5


Return to The Bard's Corner