Inner Darkness
Part 6

 

By Protek
 

Disclaimers

See Part1 for disclaimers

____________________________________

Xena walked towards the inn. For the first time in ages she felt something different than misery. She wasn't exactly sure what the new feeling was, perhaps - hope. She also regretted that she had treated Gabrielle so curtly at first. Xena had wanted to go to her and hold her at the same moment the bard had stepped into the inn but her own pride and fears had prevented her. If she had known how short their time together would be, she would have swallowed her pride, just to be able to cherish every moment she got to spend with her. At least they had managed to work out a new basis to rebuild their relationship. That would take time, though and time was something that they didn't necessary have.

Xena saw Shiro and Annika approaching the inn from the other direction. That reminded her that there were things needed to be done. She waited by the entrance for the ronin and the Amazon to get to her.

"So, Gabrielle left you in charge of the Amazons?" Xena asked the dark Amazon.

"Yeah, you got a problem with that?" Annika said with a reserved tone.

"No." The warrior gave a warm grin. "I've learned to trust Gabrielle's judge of character. Besides, I can see that you have the right stuff to be a leader." She put her hand on the Amazon's shoulder. "I guess you remind me of - myself."

Annika was a bit surprised about the warrior's change of attitude towards her. Wow, Gabrielle must really have some influence on her. "Well, thanks - I guess," she answered.

"Are you guys up to do one thing before we call it a day?" Xena asked both the ronin and the Amazon.

"If it's about doing some payback - sure," Annika answered.

"I suppose that wherever she goes, I go." Shiro grinned and exchanged glances with the Amazon.

Xena realized now what was going on between the ronin and the young Amazon and she couldn't hide her surprise. "You two…"

"Yes, don't ask us how." Annika grinned. "We are still trying to figure that out ourselves."

"Well, I'm glad for you both. But Annika, have you talked about this with Pon?" Xena asked, remembering the laws of the Amazons.

"Haven't had a chance. I guess she won't be too happy about this." Annika lifted her shoulders. "Gabrielle saw us and she didn't seem to mind."

"I suppose that you know that Gabrielle is queen by right of caste and she is absent most of the time. In the end, she calls the bets but otherwise it's up to Ephiny," Xena said but gave a comforting smile to the Amazon. "Don't worry. I'm sure Gabrielle will say a word on your behalf. Just remember to discuss with Pon about this when you get the chance."

"Sure. Now what about this plan of yours?" The dark Amazon returned to the first topic.

"I thought, we'd make sure that Parseus won't be able to use those fireballs against us anymore." The warrior grinned but both Shiro and Annika could see that there was no hint of smile on the sapphire blue eyes.

"Just tell me what needs to be done," Annika said.

____________________________________

They could see the catapults gathered in two rings in a small opening. Few fires were built to enlighten the opening and a dozen men stood guard. The rest of Parseus' men were camped a little further. This suited Xena's purposes very well. The warrior took a moment to observe her group. Shiro was there with Annika who had chosen four Amazons to join in this mission. They all had smeared their skin with coal and they wore dark clothing so that they would be less visible to the enemy. This had been the ronin's idea.

"Does everybody have their target in sight?" Xena whispered. Everyone nodded.

Seven bows were stretched. Each arrow was targeted at each one of the guards. "On my mark," the warrior said silently. Everyone held their breath.

"Now." Seven arrows were on their way to fulfill their lethal purpose. Everyone re-stretched their bows and took another shot. The first seven guards never knew what hit them. The rest had time to register the sudden fall of their friends before the arrows ended their lives. Everything was silent.

"All right, everyone knows their job. Let's go." Xena stood up and led her group to the opening. The ammunition for the catapults was piled in the middle of the two rings. The group divided to two. One for each ring. Everyone took one oil barrel from the piles and went to a catapult. The barrels were opened and the oil spilled all over the catapults. The same procedure was repeated to the remaining catapults.

"Okay, each of you take two barrels and get out of here," Xena said. She opened one barrel and spilled its contents on the pile of barrels. She could see Annika do the same to the other pile. She picked the two barrels that she had put aside and ran after the others. A moment later she was in the edge of the forest with the others.

A small fire was quickly built and some fire arrows were prepared. Elita sent the arrows away with astounding accuracy. Each of the catapults caught fire almost sequentially. As a final touch, Elita shot two arrows at the piles of barrels which were also lit.

"Were done here. Good job," Xena said when she was certain that the fires wouldn't die on their own. "Let's head back to Amphipolis." She took her load and led her group away from the blaze.

_____________________________________

Parseus was fast asleep when one of his lieutenants came to wake him.

"Sir, I think you'd better wake up," the nervous lieutenant said to his commander.

"What is it?" Parseus asked irascibly.

"The catapults, sir. They are on fire!"

"What?" Parseus was now full awake. "What happened?" He asked angrily.

"I- I don't know," the lieutenant stammered. "We didn't notice anything before it was too late. The guards were killed with bows from a distance."

"Any chance that we can save some of the catapults?"

"No, sir. Whoever did this, did a thorough job." The soldier felt himself very uncomfortable right now.

Parseus leaned on his table and kept his fists tightly shut. He stared at his lieutenant. "Find out who was in charge of the guarding and kill him. Then set up double guards around the camp."

"Yes, sir." The lieutenant stumbled out of the tent.

Parseus stood still for a moment then he laughed. "It seems that I underestimated you, Xena," he said to himself. "My surprise attack wasn't enough to bring your spirit down." Parseus poured some wine in a glass and made a toast. "Here's to you, Xena. In a couple of days we'll see who gets the last laugh."

_________________________________________

It was late morning, when Gabrielle reached the outposts of the Amazon territory. She had been riding through the night stopping only briefly to give her stallion a rest. She slowed her horse down when she recognized one of the guards.

"Solari!" She greeted the Amazon.

"Gabrielle, is that really you?" Solari replied when she walked to the stallion.

"It's me all right." The bard smiled. "How come are you here at the outposts?" She asked.

"Well, you could say that I'm tutoring the younger girls to this job," the Amazon answered. "But look at you! I hardly recognize you anymore," she commented the bard's shorter hair. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Here and there, wandering around the country," Gabrielle said.

"I suppose, you are aware of the latest happenings." Solari changed the subject.

"Yes, that's why I'm here. I'm coming straight from Amphipolis."

"Then you saw Eponin and Alysa. How are they?"

Gabrielle was quiet for a moment, trying to find the right words. "We got under attack. It was a slaughter. Eponin got hurt. Alysa…" Gabrielle looked down and then back at Solari. "… she didn't make it."

The world seemed to stop around the Amazon when one sentence filled her mind. She didn't make it. Solari stood quiet for a while. She appeared calm on the outside, but inside her emotions were storming. Gabrielle could sense the hidden anxiety and opened her arms to offer some comfort which Solari eagerly accepted. She and Alysa were of same age and they had been almost inseparable from the early childhood. They were like sisters, one always standing up for the other. If one of them was hurt the other would have always been there to offer some comfort. Now, Alysa was gone and it would be Solari's task to grieve over her.

After a while, Solari finally raised her head. She looked at Gabrielle with a hint of moist in her eyes. "Thank you," she said.

"Don't mention it," Gabrielle replied sympathetically. "How are things here?"

"Pretty hectic. This whole Parseus thing has put everybody on their toes. Ephiny's under a lot of strain right now," Solari said with a tired voice. "You chose a pretty bad time for your return."

"I know. I probably wouldn't have come here yet if the situation had not been what it is." The bard took the reins of her stallion.

"I think we'd better get to the village," Solari said. "Can't wait to see the fuzz that your appearance will cause." Something in the Amazon's last remark made Gabrielle feel herself uncomfortable.

______________________________________________

If you wanted to talk to Ephiny right now, you had better make sure that you did it from a distance. The Amazon regent would have bitten head off from anyone who was close enough. She had been in a long and wearing meeting with the tribe council and she was very close to snapping completely. The threat of war and the questioning of her authority had caused her a lot of stress. The long absence of their queen had caused dissension among the tribe members and a small group of Amazons tried to pull through Gabrielle's dismissal at the tribe council.

Ephiny's feelings for the fair haired bard had keep changing from day to day. Sometimes she was worried about her. Other times, like now, she wanted to take all this poop and lay it on her. There was no saying what she would do if Gabrielle walked in through the gate right now. She was about to go in her hut when she heard some clamor from the gate. She turned to look and when she recognized the sleek form of the bard, something snapped in her head.

Gabrielle was receiving greetings from the younger girls of the tribe when she saw Ephiny at the other side of the opening. She smiled when the regent saw her and started to run towards her.

"Ephiny's coming," Gabrielle said to Solari who also turned to look at the running Amazon regent.

"Uh oh," she said to herself when she saw the expression on Ephiny's face. "You'd better step aside, Gabrielle. I think your appearance just pushed Eph over the edge."

"What do you mean…" Gabrielle started but then she took a glance at Ephiny's face and realized what it was all about. She braced herself as Solari walked towards the regent.

"Okay, Eph. Let's not do anything stupid, now," Solari grabbed the raving Amazon and tried to calm her down.

"I'm gonna kill her, I'm gonna kill her!" Ephiny shouted, kicking and flailing.

"Err, hi, Eph." Gabrielle smiled sheepishly. "It's nice to see you too."

"Ooh, I'm gonna kill her!" Ephiny kept screaming and shouting until Solari pressed one point on the regents neck, sending her unconscious on the ground.

"Xena taught me this." Solari grinned at the bard. "She'll take a little nap. Would you help me to carry her into her hut?"

__________________________________________

"What happened? How did I end up in my bed?" Those were the first words when Ephiny came around and saw Solari sitting there on the side of the bed.

"Don't you remember?" Solari asked back.

The Amazon regent rubbed her forehead. "I must be really tired. I thought I saw Gabrielle there at the gate. I must be starting to see things."

"Well, you did actually see her and then you kinda snapped. I had to calm you down," Solari said.

"Gabrielle's here? Where is she?" Ephiny rose to a sitting position.

"She's waiting outside. We thought it would be best that I'd break you the news first." Solari smiled at her. "Are you calm now?"

Ephiny couldn't help blushing. "Yes, I think so. You can go get her."

Solari left the room and returned a moment later with the bard. Both Gabrielle and Ephiny were a bit embarrassed.

"I guess I picked up a wrong time to show up," Gabrielle started half joking.

"Well, right now I can't think of any worse possible moments. Everything's like a freaking circus right now," Ephiny replied. "What brings you here, by the way?"

"I've come to try to convince the council to send the Amazons to aide the Amphipolitans against Parseus' army." That got a snort from the regent.

"Why don't you ask them to conquer Rome, while you're at it," Ephiny said sarcastically. "You don't have very high ratings among the council members right now. In fact, there is a small group that is working for your dismissal."

Gabrielle's eyebrows lifted a bit. "Can they pull that through?" She asked.

"No, the throne is for life," Ephiny replied. "But now, when you are here, you are prone to challenges over your title and I have a feeling that there is one who might throw the challenge."

This I hadn't considered, Gabrielle thought. "Who is she?"

"Cista, the youngest member of the council," Ephiny said. "A smart and verbal woman. She usually opposes every proposal that I present to the council." The regent sighed. "The funniest thing is that she would probably stand for those proposals if they hadn't come from the representative of Gabrielle."

"Convene the council for me, would you? I'll try to convince them." Gabrielle asked Ephiny.

"I can do that but what if Cista decides to challenge you? I take it that Xena isn't here with you." That was more a remark than a question.

"That's the chance I have to take. Right now I would be ready to give up my throne if that would save Amphipolis," the bard said with a firm voice.

Ephiny looked Gabrielle in the eyes and saw that the bard had made her mind. "Very well, but remember, if Cista challenges you, you're on your own. The queen can have only one named champion."

Gabrielle nodded. "Good, while you do that, I've got some other things to take care of. Does Hesia still do jewelry?" She asked.

"Uh-huh," Solari answered." I can take you to her. You have something special on your mind?" She asked meaningfully.

"You could say so," Gabrielle answered a determined smile on her face.

____________________________________________

The atmosphere in the council hall was tense and waiting. Ephiny observed the women sitting around the table. Most of them were elderly women but a few were younger. It had actually been Ephiny's idea to have some younger women in the tribe council to bring some younger point of view to decision making. She had never realized that one day this might turn against her. She fixed her eyes on a tall sleek woman at the far side of the table. Ephiny could see from the absent glance that Cista was thinking very hard at the moment. Probably considering her options, the regent thought. Ephiny considered her a bright young woman, who had ideals and vision. She was by no means an opportunist who aspirated power. Cista acted in the best interest of her tribe and in a way, Ephiny understood her point of view. However, she had sworn her loyalty to her queen and would stand up for her, no matter what.

Everybody turned their attention at the door. There was Gabrielle, wearing the queen's attire, the ceremonial staff firmly in her right hand. A buzz of murmur swept the room, when the young Amazon queen took her place. Everyone cast disapproving glances at her but Gabrielle ignored them as she cleared her throat.

"Time is of the essence so I go straight to the point," she started with a clear, firm tone. "I've come here to ask the council's approval to mobilize the entire Amazon army and send it to help to defend Amphipolis against Parseus." More murmur, of which most were clearly disapproving. Gabrielle saw an Amazon, maybe a little older than she, stand up. That must be Cista, she thought.

"You have a lot of nerve to come here and make these demands after your absence," Cista cited. "We are well aware of the situation in Amphipolis and we have come to a conclusion that it is not wise to send the army away and leave our soil open to attack. We will confront Parseus when the time and place is right. Besides, we have already sent a group of volunteers to aide the Amphipolitans."

"Yes you have and on the behalf of the Amphipolitans, I'm grateful of that. I am also aware that I'm asking a great deal, but the fact remains that Amphipolis will be leveled if Parseus' attack will not be countered with an equal force," Gabrielle pointed out.

"More the reason not to send our fighters to a consuming battle where there is no certainty of the end result," Cista opposed. "In fact, and I think I'm speaking with everyone's mouth, we think that you have not performed your duties as a queen in a way that reaches satisfactory. It would be in the best interest of the tribe if you would step down." There, the cat was on the table.

"You know, I can't do that," Gabrielle said, remembering what she had said to Ephiny earlier, but giving up the throne was her last chip of bargain. She wasn't ready to use that yet.

"Then I have no choice than to challenge you to a fight over the throne," Cista said pretty sure of herself. She was well aware of the fact that the warrior princess was not with the bard.

"Very well, go get yourself a staff, I'll meet you outside," Gabrielle said the unexpected. Everyone stared at her in disbelief.

"What?" Cista said, not believing her ears.

"You challenged me, I accepted, we fight," Gabrielle stated. "Is there some part in challenging the queen that you don't understand? Look, I don't really have time for this so let's get this over with." Gabrielle looked at the stunned Amazon.

"N-no," Cista stammered. This was something she hadn't expected. Actually she had hoped that things would not go to this. She had nothing personal against the bard. She had hoped that the absence of the warrior princess would force Gabrielle to forfeit in front of a challenge. Instead, the bard wanted to fight her. "No," she said more firmly this time. "I'll be there."

Ephiny was the only observer who had not been surprised of the outcome of this debate. On the other hand, she was one of the few that knew the actual truth behind Gabrielle's kidnapping last fall. She knew what the bard was capable of. She only hoped that Cista would realize that before it would be too late for her - and for Gabrielle.

____________________________________

The village opening was packed. Everyone was gathered around the small circle where the fight would take place. The pack was divided into smaller groups and in every group there was a hot debate about the fight's outcome. The odds were on Cista's side but the stories about their queen's deeds had reached the village and that balanced the odds a bit.

Both fighters stepped into the ring. They both took their time to study each other. No taunts were exchanged. This was a fight that had to be fought. Neither of them really wanted it but they had no choice. The challenge had been thrown and they would fight to the bitter end.

Cista started to circle slowly around Gabrielle, who turned keep her look at the Amazon. They both circled around each other. It was like a slow grotesque round game. They both spun their staffs lazily around. The suspense was almost unbearable. The audience held their breath, waiting for the first move. Gabrielle looked straight into Amazon's eyes. The emerald eyes dug into gray ones. Everyone could feel the electricity between these two women. Time seemed to stop.

Then it happened. Gabrielle moved her glance away from Cista and got the reaction she had hoped for. The Amazon moved her eyes instinctively into same direction. That was when Gabrielle made her move. Cista recovered from her distraction and the wooden staffs met. The rhythmic banging that the staffs caused was almost hypnotic.

The banging stopped for a moment. Neither Gabrielle nor Cista had managed to get a hit through. The circling started again, giving them both a chance to catch their breath.

"You know, this will take us nowhere," Cista opened her mouth for the first time since they had stepped into the circle.

"I know that, so why don't you make it easy on both of us and give up," Gabrielle answered.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," the Amazon replied. "There's too much at stake."

"Same here, so I guess one of us will fall down." Gabrielle said.

"It is not going to be me," Cista answered and started another series of hits.

This time the Amazon managed to hit Gabrielle in the upper arm, loosening the bard's firm grip of her staff. Gabrielle had to take a few steps away to regain her rhythm and balance and that gave Cista a chance to keep pushing forward. She got a few more hits through and for a moment it looked like that it would be only a matter of minutes before the bard would go down.

It was then, when Gabrielle felt the familiar rush inside her. Instantaneously, she cleared her mind and let her instincts take over. Because of a spell that was cast on her, she possessed strength and skill that otherwise would have been beyond her reach and thanks to the love of a very special woman, she could control those powers. She threw herself into the fight with new enthusiasm. Gabrielle parried easily Cista's next hit and swung her staff low, hitting the Amazon's kneecap. Cista fell down and Gabrielle continued her attack with a jab on Cista's stomach.

The brown haired Amazon fell on her back and Gabrielle was immediately on her, holding her staff on Cista's throat. The bard looked calmly into the Amazon's eyes.

"I do not wish to kill you, because I'm going to need every warrior that I can get," Gabrielle said firmly. "But believe me, if you don't stop this pointless fight, I will."

Cista could see that the bard meant every word she said. She let go of her staff that was partly under her back and relaxed her body. "Very well, you win," she admitted her defeat.

Gabrielle pulled her up and turned to look at her people. "My sisters," she said to the women around her. "First of all, I want to apologize you all. A queen should be more dedicated to her people than I have been. I became queen under unusual circumstances. I had a life before that and I chose not to give that up. However, I've always tried to act in the best interest of my people - you, my sisters. Choosing Ephiny to be the regent was one of those acts. She has what it takes to be a just ruler.

Even now, when I'm asking you to join me in a desperate struggle against an overwhelming enemy, I'm trying to act in your best interest. The fact is that Amphipolis is too valuable to fall into Parseus' hands. If he takes Amphipolis, he has a bridgehead where he can build his army and after that, there is no way of stopping him. Greece will face one of the bloodiest wars of it's history and you will be right in the middle of it. We don't stand much of a chance but that is more than it would be if Amphipolis was lost without a fight.

I am asking you a lot. If there was any other way, I would use it. I can't tell you what to do. The decision is yours."

Silence fell over the Amazons. Gabrielle held her breath, wondering what the result would be. To her surprise, it was Cista who spoke first.

"I can see now, why Ephiny praises you. I thought that you were totally indifferent about your people but it is clear that our well-being is a great concern to you. I only want to say that it would be a great honor for me to follow you into this battle." For the first time, she smiled at the bard. "And I believe that I'm speaking with everyone's mouth." Her words were first accompanied by approving murmur, then by loud applause. Cista offered her hand to the Bard who accepted it willingly.

_____________________________________

Xena stepped inside Calimos' hut. The town spokesman was sitting at the table.

"You wanted to see me?" The warrior said.

"Yes. Please sit down." Calimos' offered a chair.

"I'd rather stand," Xena said.

"Very well." The old man stood up himself and looked at the warrior. "The council had a meeting this morning. The town will be evacuated."

"I understand." Xena could not face the old man.

"We are not blaming you," Calimos said. "We all knew where we stood in the first place. Not many people would have agreed to take the lead in this desperate situation."

"That doesn't change the fact that almost half of our fighting force was lost under my command," Xena said.

"That is unfortunate. But wars are like that. You of all the people should know that," Calimos pointed out.

"I know, but it doesn't make me feel any better." Xena still avoided to look at Calimos.

"It isn't supposed to. But we have to learn from our mistakes and go on. Otherwise the sacrifice would be futile."

"When will you leave?" Xena changed the subject.

"Tomorrow morning. Some of us will stay behind. What about you?"

"We will do our best to slow them down," Xena answered.

"Thank you, Xena and good luck to us all," Calimos squeezed the warrior's hand.

Xena stepped outside and let the mild afternoon wind wave her hair. She wondered, how Gabrielle was doing at the Amazons. I would give up everything so that I could be with you right now, my bard. Please come back to me soon. A dark crow flew over her and cold shivers went through her spine.

__________________________________

Continued in part 7

 


Return to The Bard's Corner