Meanwhile back on a nearby path…

 

As queen Gabrielle and her war party came closer to their destination, the young woman thought of Xena and Tarren. She had seen the fallen forms of Argonians along the trail so she knew that the Warrior Princess had made it this far.  However where she was and whether little Tarren was now with her was still unknown to the worried bard.  She glanced at the line of Amazons riding silently behind her and sighed. “ I hope you know what you’re doing Gabrielle,” she mumbled, as her fingers ran from the edge of her trusty staff to the grip of an unfamiliar queen’ sword strapped to the side of her saddle.

 

The young queen touched the weapon tentatively as if afraid it carried some great disease. Yet when her fingers tightened around the hilt she felt nothing but the steady and even weight of a tool she might need in battle.  Her hand fell away from the staff and she removed the sword from its sheath. “Maybe it’s time I face the fact that a queen carries a sword into battle…not a staff.”

 

 

Gabrielle’s muscles tensed as she thought about the Argonians and how their ruthless interference in her life had caused death and despair and taken away the people she loved the most in the world.  As her thoughts darkened her grip on the hilt grew tighter until without even noticing, the young queen of the Amazons was holding the majestic weapon in a two fisted grip over her head. “Amazons ahead,” she yelled with such fervor that her words alone sent the group into a faster gallop toward their destination.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 35 – The Circle of Life

 

 

 

Back in the cell…

 

 

The queen stood and faced the Amazons that had formed as a group before her.  “I have had enough.  I am an Amazon.  I would rather die a warrior’s death than live like this even for another moment,” she announced to the small crowd of familiar faces and those few that she knew still sat in the darkness on the other side.

 

There was the soft rumble in the crowd.

 

“What would you have us do my queen?” Solari asked jumping to her feet ready to take any action ordered.

 

The reply was fast and without question. “Fight!”

 

Again there was a rumbling in the group only this time louder.

 

“How? What is this plan of yours and this child’s,” the Amazon of the east asked pointing to the little girl leaning weakly against the wall. “What do we fight with?”

 

 

 

Ephiny let out a long breath and took a step toward the young Amazon as she addressed the entire group. “Are we so dependant on our weapons that we can no longer use our brains?” She looked at the faces of her warriors. “The first Amazons of long ago would have made use of anything at their disposal whether it was a rock or a twig.  Everything can be used.  It is all in how we match our brains with our bodies and our skills.”

 

The child coughed and the once stiff queen moved quickly back to the little girl and nestled the youngster close to her heart as she ran her hand up and down the young one’s back to soothe the pain of the illness and loneliness of a mother’s absence. “We must work together as one people.  There can be no separation in this.  It is all or nothing.  If you are with me speak,” she yelled ignoring the odd stares of foreign faces that surely wondered how a queen would expend so much energy on one child.

Ephiny silenced her own band with the wave of her hand knowing they would surely follow their queen.

 

There was a long silence and then the familiar young Amazon from the eastern tribe stepped forward.  “I am Dawn.  Tyrell was my best friend and I will avenge her at any cost. I am an Amazon and I will gladly fight beside you and, if I must, I will die like an Amazon on my feet and in battle.”

Ephiny nodded and reached up to offer her free arm to the young woman.  “We will give these Argonians a fight they will not forget Dawn of the east.  We will honor all that have died.” She paused for a moment as she thought of Shalia.  “We will honor them more if we honor those that still live first.” She glanced at the child in her arms. “Do you understand?”

 

Dawn nodded in understanding. “Yes Queen Ephiny.  We will honor all,” she replied, lowering her head respectively to her new leader.

Soon many unfamiliar faces stepped forward to introduce themselves to the queen and offer their allegiance in this still undisclosed plan of battle.  The time for merely talking amongst them selves was over.  It was now time to see if the Amazons of many tribes could truly bond together as one people again.

 

Ephiny held her head high as she watched the tribes of the Amazon people join together as one nation to fight an old and still common enemy.

 

Tarren grinned as she ran her small but weak hand up to touch her friend’s face.  “I’ll fight with ya Aunt Eph.  If ya want me,” she said with a cough, realizing that her size and sickness made her of no real use.

The queen smiled at the red-faced child and closed her eyes. She could feel the shivers that ran through the small figure’s body and knew that the sickness was getting worse.  “Are you kidding Junior?  I couldn’t do this without you.  Why you’re my secret weapon…just like your Momma.”

The little girl coughed again and grabbed onto the queen’s arm for protection.  “Just like my Momma. “ She smiled and reached her hand down to the side of her boot yanking out her chucks.  “You can use my chucks Aunt Eph….” She paused as she glanced at her most prized possession in the world, the first part of her mother she had ever known. “But ya gotta give them to Momma when you’re all done.  They’re really hers and she let’s me keep them cause she loves me ya know.”  There was a sniffle and a tear ran down the little girl’s face as she stared at the metal weapons.

Ephiny held the odd wands in her hands and nodded. “No you’ll give them to your Momma yourself,” she replied, wanting to reassure the child that she would be reunited with her warrior mother very soon.

 

Tarren grinned and wiped the tears from her face with the back of her hand. “Ok but you gotta clean them. That’s the rule.  Whoever uses them last cleans them,” she said quietly.

 

“Fair enough.” Ephiny stared at the wands.  She had seen Xena using these odd and intricate weapons with great expertise as the Warrior Princess had demonstrated a maneuver for her child in a drill on a private field one morning on the trail a week earlier.

 

Tarren had done a fair imitation after only having been shown the movement once demonstrating that she truly was the daughter of the Warrior Princess.

 

Ephiny took a deep breath as she remembered how Xena had playfully tossed the small child in the air telling her how proud she was of her.  The queen had stared for only a few moments and then had chosen to walk away leaving the parent and child to their private time.

 

Ephiny closed her eyes and thought of her young son as she caressed the cool metal of the child’s weapon. She looked into the blue glazed eyes of her young charge. “Ya know Junior, with these weapons of yours we might just have a chance of getting out of here in one piece.”

 

Tarren smiled at the words and then as if caught by a blinding light froze.  Her vision turned inward and she could see the figure of her mother riding atop Argo heading down a dark trail. “Momma…Momma’s coming.”  The youngster started flailing arms and legs in an attempt to touch that which she could only see in her mind.

 

Ephiny did what she could to hold the child but was forced to lower her to the muddy floor just to restrain the dazed youngster.  “Tarren it’s me…It’s Ephiny…Look at me youngster,” she ordered, pulling the little girl’s chin in her direction.

 

The small child stalled in her flurry of anxious movement to lock eyes on the queen. She ran her face along the edge of the mud.  “Momma…Momma’s comin Aunt Eph…I can see her.  She’s real close and she’s on Argo and she’s coming for me Aunt Eph…My Momma’s comin for me,” she cried. 

 

Ephiny closed her eyes and ran her hand down the child’s cheek.  “Of course she is Junior.  I told you she would,” she replied, forcing a large lump down her throat.

 

Tarren ran her small fingers across the muddy floor and then wiped her hot cheeks with the dark muck.  “Mommy says mud’s good to cool off stuff as long as ya take your clothes off first.” She rolled around a bit trying to remove her tunic. 

The queen grabbed the little one firmly by the hands.  “Tarren no you can’t do that,” she said sternly.

 

 

Still the little girl struggled to fight with all her little might.

 

Ignoring the eyes of the crowd that were now watching the queen, Ephiny mustered all the parental authority she could. “Tarren I said no and I mean it.  Stop doing that now.  You have to leave your clothes on so do as I say right now!”

 

Recognizing the familiar tone as that of her mother’s, the small child immediately ceased in her efforts and fell back against her friend allowing her tears to fall freely. “But…but…Aunt Eph I’m real hot and Momma say the mud is cool and I’m hot and I want my Momma.”

 

Ephiny took a deep breath and lifted the little girl back into her arms seating herself on a large boulder beside the fire.  “I know youngster and I’m sorry.” She wiped off some of the mud with the tips of her fingers. She tried to soften her tone the way she had seen Xena do for Tarren. “And I know mud is good for a fever sometimes but it’s too cold in here too cover you in wet mud. We need to keep you as dry and warm as we can until Xena comes. Ok?”

 

 

The child sniffled but nodded. “OK Aunt Eph if you say so.  You’re the boss until Momma comes.” Tarren shrugged. “Wanna play Warrior Princess Aunt Eph?” She coughed again deeper and longer than before as she stared down at the cooling mud.  “I’m a Warrior Princess in training ya know.”

 

 

The queen frowned as she placed the youngster’s make shift blankets over the small shivering form. “You sure are kid…you’re just like you’re Momma.”  Ephiny stared at the mud on her own hands and smiled as she remembered how the youngster had played Warrior Princess with Eponon back at the village.  She kissed the little girl on the cheek.  “Tarren you just rest while I get our plan into action,” she said with a wide grin.

The youngster smiled at the unexpected show of affection.  “Aunt Eph can I have some candy?” she asked reaching around the floor lost in a feverish thought that she was on her pallet in the royal hut and the bag of confections was still neatly hidden under the mattress.

Ephiny grabbed the little girl’s hand and squeezed it tight.  “Junior, as soon as we get back to the village I’ll get you all the candy you can eat.”

 

The youngster smiled broadly and brought her attention back to the queen wondering if her regal friend knew just how much confection she had just promised.

 

Ephiny rubbed the youngster’s head affectionately and looked to her warriors. “Solari…Gruella…Get anything you can find that will hold water and fill it up. It’s time to get to work.”

Without asking what this great plan involved each just bowed and jumped into action without question.

 

The eastern Amazon, Dawn, stepped closer to the regal Amazon holding the child. “Queen Ephiny may I ask just what your plan is for our escape?”

The queen looked at the sick little girl in her arms and then at the Amazon of the east. She tightened her hold on the youngster’s weapons and smiled. “Yes Dawn.  We are going to play a little game called Warrior Princess.”

 

Tarren grinned hoping she would be allowed to play the game too.

 

 

 

 

On the trail not too far away…

 

 

Xena studied the trees and the trails looking for the best path to lead her into the open field that lay just ahead. The openings to the caves were nearly in plain sight.  She could see them from the thicket she had positioned herself in to get a look at the outlay of the terrain. Everywhere she looked the trees above had been bent and tied to block out the beauty of the hot sun.  Surely the entire field would have the same protection.  She reached for her chakrum and smiled. “Looks like I’m gonna be doing some pruning all the way down,” she purred, ready to cut the ropes and let the light pour in.

 

There was no reason to hide her approach when she knew that she had been watched from the moment she took to the trail.  However, if she caused enough of a threat and a commotion then perhaps the Argonians would come to her and take their attention away from their captives long enough for Ephiny to make an escape. The warrior knew that her Amazon friend would not just sit idly by for too long.

 

 

Suddenly Xena grabbed her temples and dropped her weapon as she felt a piercing yell filling her mind.  Momma we need you.” It was repeated again. “Momma we need you.”

 

Xena steadied herself and regained control of her breathing.  “Tarren.”  She closed her eyes and remembered the cave-in at Goden and how with the old mystic’s help the warrior mother had been able to send a message to her child with her thoughts.  “Tarren baby, I’m coming. Please hold on.  I’m coming,” she said, hoping with all her heart the words had the power to make it to her little girl’s mind.

 

With a deep breath the warrior threw her weapon cutting all the bindings on the branches above.  Holding her hand straight in the air she caught her returning chakrum. “I hear you Tarren.  I feel you and I’m coming for you.”  With a new faith in her daughter’s well being and a strange sense of guidance, the mother sprinted back to the tethered horse on the trail.  Once in the saddle she kicked Argo into a full gallop.  “I’m coming,” she whispered knowing there was now no force in creation that could keep her from her child.

 

 

Back at the cell…

 

 

 

Ephiny glanced at her surroundings and smiled.  All was going just as planned so far.

 

“Whatever happens now…we are all Amazons standing together,” she said to the empty air.  “Artemis is with us all.”

 

There was silence.

 

The queen took a deep breath and knelt beside Tarren. “It’s almost time youngster…This is not going to be easy and I may have to do a lot of…bad stuff…to get you out but I want you to know that no matter what it takes I will get you to safety. Ok partner?”

 

The child’s eyelids were drooping so low her blue eyes were barely visible. “You wanna be my partner like Momma is Aunt Eph?” she asked in such a low voice the queen had to move closer to hear her.

 

Ephiny ran her hands through the youngster’s hair and nodded. “If you don’t mind…just until she comes.”

Tarren was now lost in a stream of faded memories and a delirium of fever. “Ok but I don’t have any good ideas for escaping just yet.  I’m still thinkin on it,” she replied, letting her head drop lazily to one side.

 

Knowing the child had been made well aware of the plan that already existed and had already forgotten it concerned the Amazon queen. “Tarren we have a plan.  You helped already.  Do you remember your part?” she asked nervously.

 

“Uh huh.” The little girl swallowed and blinked her eyes and the queen could see how weak the youngster had become. “Aunt Eph?” The words were low and pleading.

 

Ephiny held the small hand in her own as she caressed the child’s face gently. “Yeah Junior.”

 

“Can you do me favor?” the youngster asked as a tear made its way from the corner of her eye down her cheek.

 

The Amazon queen wiped the stream of liquid away with a single finger. “Sure kid. What do you need?”

 

Tarren opened her eyes as wide as she could and bit her lip as she stared at her friend. “Can you tell Momma and Gabby I love em?”

 

All the darkness and gloom that surrounded the queen seemed to drop away as she was reminded of a little girl’s dedication to her family.

Ephiny lowered her eyes a bit and took a deep breath. “You can tell them yourself as soon as we get out of here,” she replied, knowing the little girl was growing weak very fast.  The cold and damp air of the cell and lack of medicine was making something very bad much worse.

The youngster lifted her small hand and touched the queen’s face. “I will but will you tell them too. I wanna make sure they know. Will ya tell them for me…and tell Momma I’m real glad she’s my Mommy…and I love…her lots and I wish….” The broken words were halted by a spill of tears from a child aching to be held by a warrior mother.

 

Ephiny closed her eyes. “Sure I’ll tell them all that stuff but only because you’ll probably be sleeping a lot after we get you back to a nice warm bed.”

Tarren smiled at the thought of the large pallet with the crackling fire in the royal hut she shared with her family. “And will you do something else for me Aunt Eph?”

The time was coming close for action but the queen would not deny this little wonder anything if she could. “What’s that youngster?” she asked.

Tarren bit her lip and lowered her eyes not sure if she was being disrespectful to an elder with her next request. ”Can ya not yell at Eponon so much? I know she acts real big and tough and everything but she gets real sad when she thinks you’re mad at her.  I like her lots.  She’s fun to play with and I don’t want her to be sad.”

The queen gave a sad little laugh and lowered herself closer to the little girl’s ear.  “You have my word that Eponon will be very happy…I’ll try real hard not yell at her.  Ok?”

The small child smiled weakly at the response. “Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome,” the queen replied staring at the small child in absolute amazement.

Tarren took a deep breath and the queen noted the steady wheeze now in the youngster’s lungs. “Aunt Eph?”

 

The Amazon ran her hands up and down the child’s weapons that had been placed in her care. “Yeah kid?”

 

 

The words were soft and filled with innocence but came straight from the little girl’s heart. “I love ya.”

Ephiny cleared her throat in an attempt to hold back the rush of unfamiliar emotions pushing forth. “I love you too Tarren…Now…Uh…Let’s stop all this mushy stuff and kick some butt. Ok?”

 

The child tried to smile but instead coughed so hard that Ephiny had to hold her until the fit passed. The little girl took long hard breaths but still smiled at her friend.  “Uh huh. Partners?”

 

The queen tasseled the little girl’s hair. “You better believe it.” She smiled. “You know I’ve never been partners with a real Warrior Princess in training before.  I must say that I’m excited,” she said wanting the little one to feel important in the ongoing plan that was about to unfold.

 

Tarren grinned as widely as she could. “Really?”

 

“Yeah really.” Ephiny stood against the backdrop of the dark cavern.  She glanced at the small form lying on the ground beside her.  “Are you ready Junior?” she asked noting how weak and pale the little girl looked even in the dimness of the shadows from the firelight.

 

The child coughed and waved her hand.  “Uh huh…Momma’s coming Aunt Eph. I told her to hurry cause we need her help.  She said she’s on her way. ” She again let her head drop lazily to one side.  “Momma’s coming…I can see her Aunt Eph.  I can feel her.” The words were now just a mere whisper not even to be heard.

Ephiny closed her eyes and refocused her thoughts on the task at hand.  Tarren was ill, very ill, and if the youngster was to have even a fighting chance at survival, the warrior queen knew she had to get the child to a healer quickly.  “I know she is Junior.  You just keep calling her and Xena will find you,” she whispered, wondering if the little girl could truly communicate with her thoughts or it was just he wishful fever dreams of a very sick little girl.

 

“Ok Aunt Eph…let’s kick butt.” The child coughed again but focused her thoughts on the sight of her mother and in her mind screamed out all the agony and fear which were now consuming this small child’s mind and body.

 

 

 

On the trail…

 

Xena’s movement came to a fast halt when she suddenly felt a searing pain in her head causing her to place both hands at the side of her temples in an attempt to grasp the power of what was breaking through her thoughts. She nearly fell from her horse as he felt a rhythm of pain shoot through her body. The mother regained her control but in that one flash of lucidity could sense the life force slipping from her young daughter’s grasp.  “Tarren no!”

 

 

 

Back at the village…

 

 

Penela stood her ground before the Amazons of every tribe that rode angrily into the now empty compound.

 

“What is this all about Penela?” the angry queen of the north growled, seeing that their was not even a single Amazon none the less an alliance of them. “Is this some kind of trick?”

 

 

The old queen looked at the large group of angry faces surrounding her and smiled sorry that she herself ever been that foolish. She waved her hand and pointed to the dead bodies of the Argonians lying in the center of the compound. “No this is about being an Amazon.  Now is your chance to decide whether you are one or ever really wish to be one.”

 

Queen and regents looked to their warriors and then to the dead bodies of the strange creatures.

 

Penela took a step forward. “Are you Amazons or not?” she screamed as she waited to be joined in battle or struck down by her own people as a traitor.

 

 

Back at the cell…

 

 

Ephiny took a deep breath and swung the chucks freely at her side.  “Hey guard.” She watched as the shadow of a large head passed the small opening at the top of the door. “That means you ...ugly bastard,” she taunted.

 

A figure came to the steel door and Ephiny could see his dark features through the shadows of the small metal bars. “Shut up woman.

 

The queen had gotten his attention. “That’s right you leather skinned son of a bachae.  I’m talking to you,” she said casually twirling the weapon beside her and spewing out as many profanities as she could think of.

Tarren coughed and allowed a weak smile hoping she could remember some of her friend’s words for future reference.  Some were not yet on her mother’s forbidden list so those were each safe to make one appearance without fear of retribution.

 

The guard growled at his prisoner’s disobedience.  “What do you want woman?” he asked with obvious disgust for her gender.

 

Ephiny took a step closer.  “I just wanted to say goodbye.  As you can see all of my friends have left and I’m going to be leaving soon myself, but I wanted to at least give you a proper farewell,” she said motioning to the darkness around her.

The guard laughed at the thought.  “You called me here to waste my time Amazon. For that you shall not eat today,” he warned.

 

“Sure I will. I’ll be eating the skin from your bones…after I leave that is.” Ephiny grinned at the confused Argonian.  “Well why don’t you just take a look around for yourself gruesome.  You’ll see that all my friends are gone.” She motioned to Tarren. “This child and I are all that remain here…look.” She waved her hand around the dark cell knowing the guard’s adapted vision would allow him to see through the darkness as she did the daylight.

 

 

The guard cocked his head and looked inside to see that sure enough the cavern was empty.  He could see no one but the Amazon queen and the sickly child in his filtered light. “It can’t be,” he said with a growl.  “Where did they go?  How did they get out?” he yelled showing the whites of his pointed fangs.

 

The trap had been set.

 

“Sorry but Artemis…whoops I’m not supposed to say.” Ephiny steadied herself as she heard the tumblers in the lock moving.  He was coming in.

 

 

Tarren closed her eyes and again thought of her mother feeling the grip of the cold around her slipping away and the pain of the cough in her chest fading with view of everything else around her.

 

The door swung open and the large guard entered cautiously waving his blade in every direction, expecting an attack.  But the Amazons were nowhere in sight.  “Ok woman where did they go?  How did they escape?” he repeated through clenched teeth.

 

Ephiny grinned and gave an evil little laugh.  “Now you didn’t think a piece of low blooded, stale smelling, centaur shit like you could hold the pride of the Amazon nation.  You’re people could not defeat us in the time of Reea and they will not dare hold us now,” she said feeling her own muscles tighten.

He growled and swung his blade in her direction. 

 

Ephiny twirled the wands and with a quick snap of her wrist blocked the blade.

 

Realizing the agile queen now posed a threat the guard took a step back.  “Ok woman.  If you will not talk to me then you will speak to Barlon.”  He made a sound resembling an eerie whistle and soon four more armed guards had entered the cell.

 

 Ephiny stepped back until she was pressed against the wall feigning fear at their approach.

 

The guard smiled and motioned his men forward. “Oh so now you are afraid. Well it will do you no good,” he growled. “Cease her and kill that child. Her coughing has been getting on my nerves all day.”

 

That was the one thing Ephiny needed to hear to kick her greatest skills as a warrior into action.

 

The four Argonians closed in on the Amazon.

 

Ephiny looked at the sick child and grinned.  “It’s your call Junior,” she whispered.

 

The child smiled weakly but mustering all her followed through on the one task the queen had assigned the Warrior Princess in training.  “Mud fight!”

 

Soon the floors turned into a sea of dark hands and from the walls stepped down Amazon warriors caked in the dark wet dirt of camouflage known to a small child as only mud.

 

 

Soon there were the howls of Amazon warrior’s making their attack. 

 

Ephiny moved in with the chucks and disarmed the surprised guard giving her the most precious gift of all, a sword.  Soon the muddy Amazons stood victorious and had in their possession five such weapons and an open door.

 

The queen placed the chucks in her waist belt and motioned her warrior’s to take the point as she reached down for the little girl she had come to love. “Time to go Junior.” She knelt down beside the coughing child and lifted her gently into her arms.  “Hey that was some fight. Wasn’t it Junior?” she asked, noting that the little girl had barely spoken a word or coughed.

There was no response.

 

“Tarren?” Ephiny touched the youngster’s burning forehead and felt her insides crumble.  “By Artemis no.” She grabbed a piece of leather from one of the fallen guards and strapped the child tightly to her back.  “You just hang onto Aunt Eph Junior.  Don’t you give out on me now…Not with your momma on the way.”

 

The one word with the power to offer strength had been spoken.

 

There was a low cough and a faint whisper.  “Momma?  My Momma’s comin.”

 

The queen sighed with relief knowing there was still some spark of life in the small child.  “That’s right and she’s gonna be pretty pissed off when she sees the mess we made, so don’t you go leaving me to explain everything all by myself,” she said choking on her words.

Tarren tried to smile but instead a louder cough just emerged.  “It’s Ok Aunt Eph. I love ya.” She closed her eyes and tried to send a message with her thoughts. “Mommy...Don’t be sad.  I love ya lots always.”

 

There was no laughter.  There were no smiles.  Instead only the tears of a small child fighting with all her strength to hold on until her hero, her mother, the Warrior Princess arrived to save the day.

 

 

Ephiny reached behind her and grabbed the child’s hand.  She swallowed an all too familiar lump in her throat.  “Don’t you worry kid…We are getting the hell out of here right now and I promise you that your Momma will be waiting for you.”

 

Somehow Ephiny was now sure that Xena was lurking somewhere outside the caves and the queen knew she had to get her band of half starved warriors out of the dark cell and too the warmth of daylight.

 

Ephiny secured the youngster tightly to her back and motioned the last of her warriors forward and with Gruella and Solari at her side she herself took up the rear.

 

As she moved, the queen could hear the cries of her people as those warriors still unarmed tried valiantly to fight in vain against a heavy sword blade.  She moved to one side of the dark and narrow corridor knowing that before she could offer her own life to her people and Artemis she had to find safety for Tarren.  With one final breath she pushed forward giving the order that would forever be remembered and repeated by all as the time the Amazon people were one again. “Amazons attack!”

 

 

 

There was the hoops and hollers of Amazon warriors running gallantly into a fight and then the cries and screams of the countless who fell to the ground in an attempt to pave the way for their sisters

 

 

Ephiny ran her hands along the wet walls of the dark corridor.  It was so dark and lonely that she could almost feel a certain pity for anyone or thing confined to live in such a lifeless place. She tapped Tarren on the leg and heard a slight grumble that let the mighty queen know that her young friend was still amongst the living.

 

The great queen pushed forward until the sound of the battle ahead was mixed with the sight of a very pale light from the outside world breaking through the entrance of an above ground covering of some kind. It had been carefully covered over with brush and branches and packed from underneath with mud but a beam of pale light made it’s way through. “So that’s how they disappear so fast. They must have these covered holes all over the woods,” she mumbled, pulling away at the wet moss and dirt until she had cleared an exit to the fresh air above.

 

The queen heard Solari yelling up ahead that they were nearing the entrance to the cave.  Ephiny fought every warrior instinct in her body that screamed to her to take a sword and join the battle but instead yelled.  “Take to the open fields.  I’m going up here.”

 

Before climbing to the surface the queen noticed how the light fell on the fallen bodies of an Argonian and an Amazon just a few paces away. Each body had a sword protruding from the chest.  Ephiny leaned down and pulled the fatal blade from Gruella’s body.  She touched the instructor’s shoulder and closed her eyes.  “You fought well warrior. Join Artemis now,” she whispered, as she closed her warrior’s eyes.

With a heavy breath Ephiny scurried up the hole until she was standing in the center of a large grassy field just outside the caves.  The battle below could still be heard.  The cries of her friends and fellow Amazons were nearing closer to the outside world. The Amazons were pushing their way to the cave entrance and freedom.

 

 

Ephiny looked overhead at the bent trees that masked the strong light and frowned. “Damn!”  They would have to fight without the benefit of the sun to warm them or to hinder their enemy. 

 

The queen ran to the edge of the field and placed Tarren under a tree as far from the battle as she could allow the child to be. 

 

Ephiny knelt beside the little one for a moment and ran a tender hand over the burning far head.  She knew the little girl was weak and running out of time.  “Hang in there just a bit longer kid.”

The little girl’s eye’s popped open and she smiled.  “Aunt Eph…Aren’t ya gonna go kick some butt?”

The queen closed her eyes and nodded as she looked into the distance to the dwindling band of Amazons that had pushed their way into the world of the light and living.  “Yeah Junior.  I’m gonna do just that, so you stay here.”

Tarren nodded.  “I’ll be Ok…Don’t worry about me.”

Ephiny swallowed hard at the youngster’s brave words.  “You really are just like your Momma.”

Tarren grinned and then coughed as she watched the queen sprint off toward the battle sword held high above her head ready to take on as many attackers as she could possibly reach.

 

The little girl felt a chill run up and down her spine and again her vision turned inward to a bright and clear place. 

 

The youngster smiled broadly and reached out her arms as she saw the image of her mother riding fast and hard on Argo’s back.

 

Tarren could feel the pain and love emanating from her mother and reached up to embrace the warrior.  “Momma I’m here.” 

 

The warrior mother of the youngster’s thoughts could not hear the child’s cries but the Argonians did.

 

Tarren pulled herself to her feet and concentrated on the vision of what she believed was her approaching mother.  Stumbling and falling but moving with as much speed as her little legs could must the youngster raced into the forest sure her mother was only a few paces away.  “Momma.  Momma I’m here.”

 

Hearing the little girl’s plea, Ephiny turned from her fight to see the child disappear into the woods pursued by two Argonians.  “Tarren No!” she yelled but it was too late. The child was gone, and the queen was surrounded by a dozen blades all wanting to share in the taste of her blood. 

 

Each raised their blade in the air wanting to be the first to strike but their actions were stopped by one lone figure moving through the insurrection.

 

 It was Barlon. He pushed passed his men and faced the queen who held her blade straight in front of her willing to die with at least one Argonian on her sword.

 

“So you and your Amazons wish to die like your ancestors.  So be it.  However you woman shall die by my hand.” He motioned toward the other Amazons still caught in a useless fight against too many swords.  “Take the living back to the cage, “ he ordered one of his nearby men. He glared at Ephiny. “I will deal with this one…personally.”

 

The remaining Amazons immediately formed a protective circle around their queen.  “We fight and die as Amazons right My Queen?”  Solari asked with her chin held high.

 

A familiar young Amazon of the eastern tribes agreed. “Yes my Queen.  We live or die as one people.”

 



Ephiny nodded proudly at each of her comrades. “As you say my friends…as Amazons.” She twirled her blade in front of her and grinned.  “It will be my pleasure to watch the life drain from your eyes pig,” she growled at Barlon, determined to take him if no one else.

 

Barlon’s breath became fast and his long fang like teeth appeared. “Kill them all,” he yelled.

 

However before the Argonians could move forward there was the sound of a familiar battle cry and then the sight of a tall leather clad warrior racing toward the battle seated on a great war-horse. She tossed a circular weapon to the trees above slicing all the bindings that held the branches as a mask over the field and bringing forth the bright rays of the sun.

 

Ephiny turned and watched as the great Warrior Princess moved, as if caught in slow motion, swinging her sword high in the air above her and knocking Argonians one after the other to the ground. “Xena!”

 

The mere mention of the name seemed to bring a new strength to the Amazons and soon the fighting had begun again with a new fervor, a new force and a new friend.

 

Barlon raised his blade in the air to strike at Ephiny but before the sword could hit it’s mark a leather whip cracked in the air pulling it from his hand.

 

Ephiny turned and with lighting speed drove her own blade in to the evil ruler before he could regain his weapon or use his power as leader to call to the clouds for help.

 

Barlon held his bloody wound only for a moment and then smiled.  “Death…finally….” His eyes rolled upward and his body slid to the ground just as the warhorse with the whip-wielding warrior came to a sudden halt beside Ephiny.

 

The queen rushed to meet her friend. “Xena thank you I…”

”Eph where’s Tarren?” the mother asked nervously scanning the grounds for her child.

The queen swallowed hard and pointed to the woods. “She ran that way calling your name.” She paused and lowered her eyes.  “She knew you’d come for her Xena.”

 

Xena yanked on the reigns and looked at the still unbalanced battle raging before her. The Amazons were still vastly outnumbered.

 

Ephiny motioned her friend away.  “Go find your daughter warrior. We’ll take care of this matter…Hurry the kid is very sick.”

 

Xena nodded to her friend. “I’ll try and get back.” With a quick kick of her heels the warrior rode away from the fight to find her child before it was too late.

 

Ephiny took a deep breath and looked at her small band of warriors fighting against what she counted as more than 100 Argonians.  The open sky had offered some protection but the Argonians were still worthy opponents.

 

The queen tightened her hold on her blade and readied herself to enter the fray knowing her life would be given up quickly in the name of her people.  However before she could take another step the sound of a hundred hoof prints coming from two directions filled the air.


Sheloppa pulled her sword from a bloody victim tilted her head to one side and smiled as she watched Amazons on horseback break through the trees straight onto the open field in a full charge led by a small blond holding a borrowed sword straight in the air.  “Amazons attack!”

 

Hearing the familiar voice ordering in a now commanding tone, Ephiny turned to see Gabrielle leading an entire tribe into battle. “By Artemis now I’ve lived to see it all.”  Ephiny smiled and ran into the center of the battle knowing the odds had changed just a bit in their favor and the war that never was 100 years before was about to happen now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile….

 

Tarren raced through the woods until she reached an empty trail.  Using all the strength that was in her small fever racked body the child stood looking down the path sure she would see her mother’s image riding on the great war horse just as the youngster had seen in her thoughts. However the trail was empty and the small child was alone…or was she.

 

“Momma!” Tarren continued to call but there was no response so little girl bit her lip and dropped to her knees in tears as she now whispered her cries.

 

“Momma…I’m here. Come get me please.  Where are ya Momma?” The little one stared at the vacant land around her as she felt her limbs crumble and the tears flow from her eyes.  “Mommy!”  The word rung through the trees like an echo lost in time but the child could not see her mother.  However two approaching Argonians saw Tarren and held their swords high ready to take the life of the warrior’s child.

 

Tarren fell back against the dirt.  She had no weapon and no strength to even run.  The youngster struggled to get to her feet and meet these two attackers standing just as any good Warrior Princess in training would do.

 

The youngster bit her lip and tried to stifle a heavy cough as she watched the men approach.  She closed her eyes and looked to the sky.  “Love ya lots Momma,” she whispered, knowing it might be the last time she ever got to speak those words.

 

The two Argonians moved without hesitation swords held high eager to for any life they could take in this battle, even if it was only one of a small and very sick child.

 

 

The first Argonian smiled and was about to drop his blade when his actions were quickly halted by the movement of a spinning disk cutting through the jugulars of both attackers sending them quickly to their god.

 

Little Tarren turned around and saw her mother racing down the path on the large horse her cape blowing in the air high above.  “Momma!”

 

The child reached out her arms but there was just no strength left in her body so she just crumbled to the ground in a small heap still calling out her mother’s name hoping it was not another vision.

 

 

“Tarren!” Xena jumped from Argos back and raced to her youngster’s side lifting the little girl into her arms.  “Tarren…Tarren baby it’s me…It’s Momma.  I’m here. Everything is Ok now.” The warrior wiped tears from her own eyes as she cradled the weak child. “Momma’s here and I’m gonna take care of you…I promise.”

The small child reached up a weak hand and ran it across her mother’s now tear stained face.  “I knew you’d come Mommy.  I knew you would…cause ya love me right?”

 

Xena held the little as close to her heart as she could as she removed her cape and placed it snugly around the little one’s shivering form.  “Oh yeah I love you lots and lots…baby,” the mother replied, knowing the youngster was very sick and time was short if she was to save her child.

 

 

As the warrior mother considered the best path back to the village there was a the sudden crunch of twigs from the ground behind and the warrior knew that there were now at least five Argonians with swords drawn waiting behind her.  She placed the youngster gently on the ground. “Hold on baby, Momma had some more work to do before we go.” Without effort the warrior vaulted in the air landing right between would be assassins and her child sword drawn taking down one attacker after another as she moved.

 

Tarren blinked her eyes trying to watch the skirmish but there was a blinding light and then a soft glow that blocked her vision of the battle. “Momma,” she whispered as a lone figure stepped from the light and knelt by her side.

 

The little girl’s eyes grew wide and she drew back just a bit at the site that was now before her. “Shalia?” The words were filled with shock and happiness at the sight of her friend.

 

The figure knelt beside the child and cradled her in her still luminous arms. 

 

Tarren opened her eyes wide trying to focus determined to be sure that what she was seeing was real. She could still hear the sounds of swords clashing but the glowing face of the figure before her blocked any sight of the horror.

 

While the face of this person was familiar the wardrobe was not.  This Amazon wore a headdress with many feathers and armbands of solid silver with odd etchings like that of the bracelet Shalia had given Tarren as a gift. Around her neck the figure wore a thin chain with a heavy solid gold key dangling from it.

 

The youngster reached up to touch her friend. “Shalia I thought you were gone.”

 

The Amazon nodded.  “Yes Tarren I am…Shalia for you and I have told you that one must not always believe what one sees with the eyes.  You must believe with your heart,” she said touching the little girl’s chest.

The little one smiled and then tilted her head to listen closer to the sound of her mother fighting the five Argonian warriors just paces away.  “Momma’s kickin butt,” the child, stated matter of factly.

 

“Yes child and she is doing very well as a Warrior Princess should but you need her now so perhaps it would be best if we helped her just this once.” The figure raised her hand in the air and soon the warrior stood alone in her battle, all the Argonians having disappeared with the wave of this strange Amazon’s hand.

 

 

 

Xena glanced around her at the now empty space where her opponents had stood just moments before.  She sheathed her blade and quickly her thoughts returned to that of her young daughter but when she turned to where she had left the child the warrior was staring at the familiar face of a young Amazon.   “You…Shalia? I saw you fall.”

 

Tarren coughed and reached up a hand toward her approaching mother.  “Momma, Shalia’s back.  We didn’t lose her,” she cried, using all the effort she had to stand and reach her mother.

 

Xena raced to the child’s side and dropped beside her.  “Tarren calm down. It’s Ok…I can see Shalia…Just relax baby….” The concern in the mother’s voice outweighed the mystery of just how the young Amazon came to be with the living once again.

”But Momma…I knew you’d come.  You always come for me,” the little girl whispered in the mix of a loud cough as she grappled to hold onto her mother’s armor. “Love ya Mommy.”   With those words spoken the youngster went limp in her mother’s arms.

 

Xena’s eyes filled with fear and her voice became frantic. “Tarren…Tarren.”
She nestled the little girl closer to her and dropped an ear to the little girl’s chest grateful that there was till a heartbeat.  “Thank the Gods,” she whispered.

 

The quiet figure of the young Amazon patted the child’s warm head.  “She is quite sick.  Under her pillow in the cottage you will find an old vile.  Pour two drops into water and give it to her to drink.  I do not know if it will help …enough…but it will remove the fever.” She paused. “That vile contains 100 years of testing herbs for medicines.  Use it wisely and perhaps you can duplicate it Xena.”

”Thank you.” Xena stared at the form before her as she cradled her youngster in a maternal fashion stroking the little girl’s head. “Who are you?” she asked noting the difference in the stature and dress of the form before her.

 

The Amazon sighed and closed her eyes as she studied the ill child now held protectively in her mother’s arms. “I am queen Reea.”

 

“From the Amazon legend?” the warrior asked as if wanting to be sure she had the identity correct.

The expressions on the strange figure became sullen and her eyes lowered a bit. ”Legend?  Well I never really thought of my life or people as a legend…more of a curse.”

 

The warrior had no time for philosophical discussions. “How…What are you doing here?”

 

The mystical queen caressed the gold key around her neck. “I have walked these lands in search of a pure heart for 100 summers Xena and never have I found one that could be trusted with the key to the Chest of Visions.  All the Amazons were filled with such hate and blood lust after the war of long ago that the generations that grew from it forgot about the meaning of compassion and understanding.”

 

“That does not explain why you are here or how you were Shalia,” the mother said moving her now sleeping child protectively to one side.

Reea looked from mother to child as if she were trying to find the spot where the two joined and became one. “Artemis granted me a wish.  She allowed me to take the form on young Shalia and walk amongst my people in hopes of learning more about them…or guiding one leader toward the right path.”

 

“Ephiny?” the warrior said now realizing that her regal friend was not only a descendant of this strange figure but also had been raising her.

Reea lowered her eyes knowing that the queen was feeling the pain of Shalia’s loss. “Yes…but for so long her heart was filled with such anger and venom.  It is only recently that I saw the change begin.  Unfortunately I could not stay long enough to know if she would be the one to make the difference and now….”

 

The warrior lifted her child into her arms and stood. Time was too short to talk any longer.  “So you chose Tarren?” she asked with confusion.

Reea chuckled a bit and touched the youngster hand caressing the small fingers with the side of her thumb. “No my friend…She is just a baby and her heart while pure is wild and without discipline.”

Reea placed a gentle hand on the warrior’s shoulder and Xena felt a strange sensation pass through her body. “However the two of you combined as one heart are as pure and strong as one soul can ever hope to be.”  She removed the gold key from around her neck and draped it over the joined hands of mother and daughter.  “I will trust your combined heart to do the right thing.”

Xena stared at the key now in her grasp at then Reea.  “But we are not Amazons.”

Reea smiled a bit. “In your heart Xena…you know you are my friend.”

 

 

Xena nodded and slid the key around the sleeping child’s neck. “Shalia…I mean Reea…thank you for…everything.” 

 

The figures stared innocently at her friends as her form started to once again glow and fade out of existence.  “No Xena Warrior Princess… Thank you.  Now I can go home.” There was a look of peace and contentment in the fading expression.

 “Please tell Tarren that Shalia went to see her mother. I think that the baby will understand…Good luck my friends.”

 

Xena nodded as she watched the face of two important warriors with the same face disappear.

 

The mother cradled the youngster in her arms.  “Come on baby I have to get you back to the village and that medicine,” she whispered, knowing how ill the child was.

 

 

Down on the field…

 

 

Gabrielle kicked at the dark figures as they charged her mount.  Using only the pommel of the sword she swung the weapon from left to right clearing a path between she and Ephiny.  When she was sure the Amazon was close enough Gabrielle dropped from the saddle and ran to her friend’s side. “Eph are you Ok?” she asked as she pushed away an attacking Argonian with the flat side of her blade.

 

“I’m fine.” Ephiny ran the edge of her own weapon across the throat of an attacker and then faced her friend.  “I don’t know what you are doing here but I sure am glad to see you.” She looked at the sword in her friend’s hand. “ Gabrielle either use that thing the right way or throw it to the ground before you get your self killed,” she warned.

 

Gabrielle shook her head as she drove the dull but heavy pommel into and approaching Argonian’s eyes. “I’m doing just fine thanks.”  She looked around the field.  “Where are Xena and Tarren?”

The Amazon Queen’s face went blank. She motioned to the woods on the far side of the clearing.  “Tarren is real sick Gabrielle.  She ran off into the woods and Xena went after her.”

 

Feeling her place was now with her family the bard mounted her horse and quickly headed in the direction that Ephiny had pointed out leaving the great battle to rage on without her.

 

 

Meanwhile…

 

 

In the distance Xena could hear the fighting of her Amazon friends.  “What is the greater good?” she asked, caressing her child’s hot brow.

 

The warrior mother walked with the little girl cradled limply in her arms. “Ok baby we have to get you back to the village and get you all better,” she whispered running her hands over the child’s sweaty skin. 

 

The decision had been made.

 

Hearing the sound of a pair footsteps behind her made the warrior mother turn quickly ready to drop to the ground and shield her young daughter as she tossed her already handy chakrum to the throat of the approaching man. “Don’t make me waste a precious minute now,” she growled, as she turned ready to toss her famed weapon through the air.

 

However as the warrior faced the hideous expression of an Argonian warrior his sword held ready to strike, Xena noted that his muscles of the man were already drooping in lifeless fashion and protruding through his midsection was the point of a heavy blade.

 

As the mad crumbled tot the ground the warrior lowered her chakrum and came face to face with the unbelievable. “Gabrielle?” she questioned seeing her once gentle friend release her grip on the handle of the heavy and fatal blade.

 

The bard looked from the body of the man she had just killed to the face on her best friend’s face.  “Xena…I…He….”

The Warrior Princess swallowed hard and reached out an affectionate arm that the bard gratefully accepted.  The young woman stared at her warrior friend and then the child in the mother’s arms.

 

“Tarren?” she asked noting the child’s unhealthy appearance. 

 

The mother tightened her hold on the child and placed a loving kiss on the little girl’s forehead. “I have to hurry back to the village.”

 

Gabrielle stepped over the dead Argonian and pulled on the reigns of her mount before climbing in the saddle. “Then what are we waiting for?” she asked pushing away her feelings and concentrating on what was most important, Tarren.

 

The Warrior Princess held tightly to her little girl as she too mounted.  “Let’s go then,” she whispered, pointing her horse in the opposite direction followed closely by the queen turned bard. 

 

Xena closed her eyes and allowed a tear to fall.  She dropped her sword to the ground so she could better hold her little girl in her arms.  Slowly she turned away from the familiar sounds of battle knowing full well that the Amazons would be triumphant without her help

 

 

Below…

 

Ephiny smiled broadly as she heard the thundering sounds of hundreds of horses entering the field of battle. She turned to see an old but very wise queen leading the pride of every Amazon tribe in a charge onto the field.

 

Now everywhere one looked all that was seen was Amazons of every tribe mixed in battle against one enemy.

 

 

Just as the Argonians were about to meet their final demise there was a burst of light in the sky above and Artemis appeared before Ephiny.

 

 

The queen bowed. “My goddess.”

 

Artemis smiled and touched the Amazon on the shoulder. “Rise Ephiny.  The battle is over and all is as it should have always been.  There is no longer need to raise your sword today. Your people are whole again.”

 

 

Artemis raised her hand in the air and all the Argonians both living and dead and any trace of their existence disappeared leaving only a field filled with one nation of cheering Amazons and a very confused queen.

 

 

 

TBC…

 

 

 

That’s right part 11 is finally done and I am working on part 12. Don’t forget to feed my pet EGO.  He has been eyeing part 12 kind of closely. J  fantimbard@aol.com


Return to The Bard's Corner