Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: None

Violence: No

Language: Mild

Spoilers:

Other: Part Sixty–one in the series "Raising Melosa". Takes place about a month after "Lessons Learned". This one is from Xena and Gabrielle’s POV

 

 

The Mission

By T.Novan

 

 

 

I took the soup into the girls’ room. Xe sat next to the bed wiping a cool cloth over Kessa. She hummed softly to our little girl as she tried to get the fever down. I placed my hand on her shoulder she turned giving me a weak smile.

"I brought you some soup Xe. You eat, I’ll do that."

She nodded and moved away from the bed allowing me to take her position as she moved over to another chair to eat. I soaked the cloth again wringing it out before returning it to Kessa’s burning skin.

"It’s been three days. It’s not coming down." I said quietly.

"I know." Xe replied just as quietly as she stirred her soup.

"It’s not good that it’s been this long."

"I know."

"Xe is she going to…." I caressed Kessa’s face as I watched her fuss with the fever.

"No."

"Is that your head or your heart Warrior?"

"Both. Our daughter is not going to die Ri."

I smiled, nodded and continued to run the cloth over her. "Delia says we’ve lost seven amazons to the same fever."

"Children are more resilient."

"Three of those were children Xe."

"Not Kessa. I won’t let her."

I had to smile again at my warrior’s determination. If there was a way to keep this child alive through sheer willpower Xe could do it.

Kessa opened her eyes and smiled at me. "Momma…." She licked her lips. "Water…."

Xe was next to the bed instantly with a cup of water. I moved, allowing her to help Kessa drink. "Hey baby…." She whispered softly to our daughter.

Kessa took a few small sips and smiled at the warrior. "I love you Mother…." She whispered before her eyes closed again.

I watched as Xe bit her bottom lip to keep the tears from falling. "I love you too Princess." She ran her hands through our daughter damp hair.

I took the cup from Xe’s trembling hand. "Eat Warrior. You need to keep up your strength."

She nodded and returned to her seat and her soup. I retook my seat next to Kessa. There was a knock at the door Mel slipped into the room. "Delia sent this medicine over." She approached slowly taking a seat across from me handing me a small bag. "How’s she doing?"

"Umm she’s holding her own." I answered quietly as I handed the bag to Xe then continued cooling her. "How are things in the village?"

"As good as can be expected considering that almost forty amazons have this fever. Delia is doing everything she can."

Xe mixed the medicine in some water then handed me the cup. "See if you can get her to drink this."

"Kessa? Honey come on…I need you to drink this sweetie." As I lifted her head, her eyes opened a bit and she sipped from the cup. She made a face and tried to keep from taking anymore. "I know it tastes bad honey, but it’ll make you better. Come on now just a little more." She nodded and finished the medicine. "Good girl." I laid her head back to the pillow then wiped her mouth with a cloth.

"Ri I’m going to go out for a bit." I watched as Xe leaned over and kissed Kessa on the forehead. She turned to me and smiled, caressing my cheek. "I love you bard. I’ll be back soon. I just need some fresh air."

"Okay." I didn’t want to question her, but I didn’t buy the fresh air thing for one moment.

As the door closed Mel turned to me. "Hey if you want to go with her I can stay with Kessa."

"No I think she needs to be alone."

Mel nodded, as she looked to her little sister, taking her hand. "Hey pee-wee you got to get up and about. All your friends over at the village miss you."

 

 

I walked to the meadow, to the edge of the pond and sank to my knees looking up at the night sky. "Please, please don’t let her die. I’ll do anything." It didn’t matter to me which God answered this prayer, just as long as it was answered. "Take me. Just let my little girl live. She should have a long life ahead of her. She’s an innocent. She’s never hurt anyone. Please let her live. I’ve done everything I can. On my knees before all of you is my last resort." I dropped my head. "I’ll do anything you ask. Anything." I looked out into the water. "Hades she’s your granddaughter. Help her." A brilliant flash of light, a rumble of thunder and a voice I didn’t recognize immediately. I stood up and turned around to find Zeus.

"Xena…."

"You know the sound and lights show wasn’t necessary. I have a sick little girl up at the house and I swear if you’ve scared her…."

"I know Xena. I heard you, that is why I’m here. I know why your little girl and the amazons are suffering from the fever."

"Why?"

"Hera."

"Hera? What does she have to do with this?"

"She and Artemis have come to odds. She has trapped your Goddess in the caves of Magos. If you free Artemis she will be able to help your daughter and the other amazons. Your Goddess needs your help Xena."

"Why did Hera put Artemis in the caves? What caused the dispute between them?"

He hesitated as he looked out to the lake. "I’m not sure."

"Why don’t you help her?"

"The caves are under Hera’s protection Xena and you know as well as I do there are certain borders even the Gods don’t dare cross. That’s why I can’t offer assistance to your daughter or the amazons. They still belong to Artemis, but not for much longer if you don’t get help to your Goddess."

"Xe are you sure?" I placed my hand on her arm as she packed her saddlebags.

"Yes. Artemis can help her if I do this Ri."

I drew a deep breath and moved to my cabinet. "Then I’m going with you."

"Ri you need to stay here with Kessa." I felt her hands on my shoulders.

"But…."

"But nothing Mom," Mel said as she stood in the doorway of our sleeping chamber. She had her own saddlebags over her shoulder and her bedroll in her hand. "Mother’s right. Kessa needs you. So I’m going." She grinned.

"Mel it’s too dangerous." Xe started to argue.

Mel held her hand up. "Nope. No way. Don’t even try it. I’ve been in battle. I’ve proven myself and you aren’t going to shake me. I’m going."

I looked back to Xe who just sighed and nodded. "All right Mel. I won’t try to stop you."

"Good. So when do we leave?"

"As soon as we can get our horses saddled."

"They’re saddled."

She looked down at me smiling, addressing Mel as she did. "Then just give us a moment okay?"

"Yeah sure." Mel pulled our door shut as she backed out of the room.

She wrapped me in a warm embrace, kissing the top of my head. "We’ll be fine."

"Do you have any idea how hard this is for me? Watching you both ride away from me."

"I know honey, but I don’t have a choice. Kessa’s life may depend on it and you know if I try to stop Mel, she’ll just follow after me anyhow."

I laid my head on her shoulder as I drew a deep breath. "Please be careful."

"Oh we will." She grinned at me. "I feel very protected with Mel. The girl is a walking arsenal." She chuckled a bit as she tightened her hold on me.

"Well it should be interesting, the two of you off on your own." I kissed the base of her neck. "Promise me you’ll stay out of trouble."

"Ah now how much fun can that be?" She placed her lips to my forehead. "How about I promise that we’ll only get into as much trouble as we need to, no more than absolutely necessary."

"Is that the best I can get?"

"’Fraid so."

"I’ll take it."

She ducked her head capturing me in a long, sweet kiss. As she pulled away from me she stroked my cheek. "I love to Ri. Stay with Kessa. Keep giving her the medicine," She paused and swallowed hard. "Just in case…."

I nodded as she turned from me gathering her saddlebags. "Xe?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you Warrior."

She turned and smiled as she threw her bags over her shoulders. "I love you too Bard. Now let’s go out so you can say good-bye to Mel."

"You both had better come home in one piece."

"Oh we will." She placed her hand in the small of my back and we headed out to the main room.

Mel turned to us with a smile. "All the mushy stuff over?"

"Oh watch it Warrior." I warned her with a smile of my own. "I’m sure I could find a multitude of young women from the village who would just love to come over here and see you off."

"Okay," She threw her hands up in a defensive motion. "I’ll be good I swear."

I crossed the room giving her a hug. "Oh I think we may have found the one thing that will keep you in line." I laughed as I held her close.

"For at least another couple of seasons." Xe chuckled as she dropped her saddlebags on the couch before turning for Kessa’s room.

 

 

I knelt down next to my little girl’s bed. I took her hand in mine. I still marveled at how small her hand was in mine. I leaned over and put my lips to her forehead, it still burned with fever. "Oh my little Princess hold on for me. I’m going to make you well." I kissed her forehead then laid another rag across it. "Just hold on."

I heard Mel and Ri enter the room. I stood up as Mel took my place by her sister’s bed, kneeling down. "Hey pee-wee. Mother and I are going to get you some help. So you just be good and don’t give Mom any trouble okay? If you’re good we’ll bring back something for you." She leaned over giving her sister a kiss before standing and turning to me. "Ready?"

"Yeah." I placed my arm around Ri’s shoulders. "You stay here. She needs you." I gave her a soft kiss. "We’ll be home as soon as we can."

She nodded as she gave me a quick kiss. "Be safe and be careful."

"Always." I said as I hugged her, then turned to Mel. "You ready partner?"

"Absolutely."

 

 

"So," Mel began as we headed away from the house. "Where exactly are we headed?"

"You sure you want to know?" I grinned at her as I took in the sight of my daughter mounted on her horse, dressed in her armor with her staff strapped to her back.

"Well might be a good idea for us both to know where we’re supposed to go. In case something should happen. I mean shouldn’t I know too…umm…if we get separated or something…."

"Nice try runt." I laughed as I realized that she didn’t want to say if something should happen to one or the other of us. "We are headed to the Caves of Magos."

"The Caves of Magos? Oh please tell me you’re joking."

"Nope kiddo. Zeus thinks that’s where Hera has Artemis."

"What I don’t understand is how she managed to trap Artemis."

"I’ve been dealing with the Gods most of my life Mel and I still don’t understand them."

"Why doesn’t Zeus just handle it?"

"Boundaries."

"Okay. I don’t get it but I’ll take your word for it."

"Good. I got to tell you Mel. I didn’t want to say anything in front of your Mom because I didn’t want her to worry any more that need be, but I don’t think Zeus was giving me the whole story."

"Well…let’s be real careful with this one then."

"That’s the only route. Your mom will have our hides if we do it any other way."

 

TBC…

 


Return to The Bard's Corner