My Lord

by

Mayt

Mayt@aol.com

Disclaimer: Xena: Warrior Princess, Gabrielle, Argo and all other characters who have appeared in the syndicated series Xena: Warrior Princess, together with the names, titles and backstory are the sole copyright property of MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. No copyright infringement was intended in the writing of this fan fiction. All other characters, the story idea and the story itself are the sole property of the author. This story cannot be sold or used for profit in any way. Copies of this story may be made for private use only and must include all disclaimers and copyright notices

Acknowledgements: My gratitude to Cath for her extensive edits and comments. Also, a great thanks to Tana for her insightful discussion of the Conqueror genre, in addition to her faithful encouragement.

Comments: Comments always encouraged and appreciated.

Subtext: This story portrays a loving relationship between two women. If you are under 18 or if it is illegal for you to read this text please do not continue.

 

 

CONCLUSION

Riding boldly, the Conqueror led a contingent into the Third Army's garrison. She dismounted in one easy motion.

"Of all the idiotic things…" Xena indulged in a little playful ribbing.

"My Liege." Jared dismounted, attempting to keep pace with the Conqueror.

"Don't say a word, Jared. Not one word."

"Please, My Liege."

"Are you asking to be hurt?"

General Kasen approached. He welcomed the Conqueror. "Your Majesty."

Xena did not hide her smile. "General, how are things?"

"Well, Your Majesty." The General noted the gash on the Conqueror's upper arm. His discomfort was obvious. "You're bleeding."

"That's very perceptive of you. Where's your healer?"

Kasen looked over to Jared, pleading for unspoken assistance. Still relishing her trump of Jared, Xena did not catch the exchange.

Jared attempted to intercede. "My Liege."

Xena turned to him. "I will kill you, Jared. I swear to Ares I will."

Jared was sober. "The healer, My Liege."

Xena's good humor slipped away. She warily studied the man before her. "You didn't?"

"It was by her request."

"A garrison at the eastern border? That is your idea of keeping her safe?"

Kasen tried to assuage the Conqueror's criticism. "Your Majesty, Gabrielle's safety has been a priority of all the men, both the Royal Guard and the Third army."

"Shut-up Kasen, that's unless you want to follow Jared to the grave."

"My Lord." Gabrielle's gentle voice interrupted the exchange. "Allow me to care for your wound."

The Conqueror's gaze shifted to the young woman. She was silenced by the request. Gabrielle was aware that it was now the Conqueror who was uncomfortable. She chose to redirect the attention of those present. She bowed slightly. "General Jared, it is good to see you, Sir."

Jared appreciated Gabrielle's ease in managing the moment. "You are looking well, lass."

"I am. This has been a good station for me. General Kasen has made sure that all my needs have been met."

Kasen said nothing though his gratitude for Gabrielle's praise was large. He knew that the young healer was the only one in a position to diffuse the Conqueror's anger.

Jared continued the banter, buying time. "Almost didn't recognize you. You've cut your hair."

Gabrielle swept a self-conscious hand through her tresses, now cut back in wisps that ceased at her neck. "It's easier to take care of this way."

"It becomes you."

"Thank you, Sir." Gabrielle redirected her attention to Xena. "I beg your pardon, My Lord. May I show you to the infirmary?"

Xena found her voice. "Lead on, girl."

"Yes, My Lord."

Gabrielle walked ahead of Xena, guiding her to a small building near the soldiers' barracks.

Jared watched them leave. "Kasen, we are two lucky men."

Upon entering the infirmary, Gabrielle directed Xena to a chair. "Please, sit here."

Xena complied wordlessly, keeping her eyes forward. Gabrielle poured water into a basin and approached. Sitting beside Xena, she washed the cut.

"The wound is deep. It will need a few stitches."

Xena nodded.

"I was not told that you were coming."

"You mean warned." Xena looked up briefly then turned her gaze to her hands resting on her lap. "I'm visiting the provinces. This detour was unexpected. The closer we got near here the more distracted Jared got. I thought he swallowed his tongue. Now I know why."

"How did this happen?"

"We were hunting and a stag was not as dead as Jared thought it was. It unexpectedly rose to escape. Jared was in its way. I cut its throat. Jared accidentally cut me. It was all very stupid."

"The unexpected can be painful."

"Yes, I'm sorry to say it can."

Gabrielle set the basin aside and got up to retrieve a needle and thread. She returned, sitting once again beside Xena. "You defeated Vacaou."

"Greece has had seven moons of peace." Xena shook her head. "Greece defeats one threat only to prepare for another. It never ends."

"There has been some trouble near the border."

"So, I've learned. I may have reason to visit here again."

"If my presence is not desired, I will leave."

"Gabrielle, I will not drive you from your home. We will be here for only the night. I will do my best not to cause you any discomfort."

"Thank you, My Lord."

Gabrielle began to stitch Xena's wound. Xena bore the pricks of pain easily. She harbored a different pain that cried to be addressed.

"You say you are happy?"

"I have reason to be grateful. I have many brothers."

"Any that you love?"

"There is one who I have become close to. He has told me that he loves me."

"Good. You should have love."

"Yes, My Lord."

"We are alone, Gabrielle. You don't have to be formal with me."

"My Lord, I believe it is best if I am always formal with you."

"As you wish."

Xena fell silent. Gabrielle completed the stitches. She dressed the wound, wrapping a bandage around Xena's arm.

"Is the bandage comfortable?"

Xena moved her arm to test it. "Yes. It will do. Thank you."

Xena got to her feet and walked to the threshold of the infirmary. She stopped and looked back. "Gabrielle, I wish you every happiness."

Gabrielle watched in silence as Xena stepped away.

 

 

Xena made proceeded toward the center courtyard where Jared waited.

"Jared, we leave in the morning."

"So soon, My Liege?"

"A soldier has earned Gabrielle's favor. Find out who he is. Make sure he's an honorable man."

"Do you wish a report?"

"No, I don't even want to know his name. I may accidentally kill him if I do."

"That won't prevent me from doing you the favor."

Xena swept away her renewed loneliness and offered Jared an appreciative smile. "She looks good, doesn't she?"

"A sight for sore eyes."

"Her weapons training has made a mark on her. She's strong and nimble."

"Kasen assures me that the lass can take care of herself. The men are fond of her. She has many tutors."

"I'm not surprised. Now tell me what reports have we from the borders?"

"The raiding parties don't seem to have rhyme or reason. They pillage and run."

"King Okal swears he is not a part of this. Any indication otherwise?"

"No, maybe someone is hoping to provoke a war between Greece and Persia."

"When it come to power, triangles are dangerous things. There is always the fear that two will join against the third and if not that, there is the chance of focusing completely on one and losing sight of the other. It fuels paranoia."

"I think its time we break open the triangle and make things more interesting. I'll contact Lao Ma and ask her to make her presence known on her southern border. That should keep Okal honest. It may also motivate him to grant my request that he improve his border patrols."

"Redouble our spies in Rome. I want to know all of Caesar's troop movements as well as what is happening in the Senate. Kasen will need to step up his patrols. We will offer the local merchants an escort while they travel between villages. Villagers are welcomed to take advantage of the escorts for safe passage. Send messages to Generals Paulos, Regan and Dymas. I want them in Corinth by the fortnight. We will show our forces without tipping our hand. Greece will do what it must to stop a new war."

 

 

Though held throughout the night in the arms of a man who freely declared his love for her, Gabrielle spent the passing candlemarks with her thoughts solely upon a woman who refused to admit love for anyone. Unable to quell her need to learn more than what she was able to ascertain from her encounter with the Conqueror, Gabrielle sought out the General.

The Conqueror's contingent gathered at the center courtyard as they prepared to leave.

"Jared."

"Good morning, lass."

Gabrielle did not hesitate. "I need to know. Was she very angry?"

"No, she was just surprised to see you."

"How has she been?"

"Walk with me." Jared guided Gabrielle away from the congregating men. "The battle with Vacaou took a lot out of her. But, as you can see with your own eyes, she's mended well."

"How is she with others?"

"She is spending more time by herself. She's a little more patient. Heads don't roll as quickly as they use to."

"Is she at peace?"

"I wish that day would come, but I don't believe Xena will ever know peace. Too much has happened."

"There were times when we were together that I believed she was happy."

"She was. I could see the change. Someday she may have that again."

Gabrielle paused and looked squarely at her companion. "Jared, is there anyone in her life?"

Jared held Gabrielle in his regard. He could be nothing less than honest. "In her bed? A few have come and gone. In her life? No."

Gabrielle remained silent.

Jared whispered. "I'm told you have a suitor."

"Yes, I do." Gabrielle began to walk again.

Jared kept pace. "Inis seems like a fine young man. Is he good to you?"

"He loves me." Gabrielle gazed toward the breaking dawn. "I thought I could grow to love him." She turned to Jared. "Why do we love who we do?"

"I don't know. That is a question only Aphrodite can answer."

"I hoped Xena would grow to love me. I know now you cannot will yourself to love. No matter how much you may want to." Gabrielle left unspoken the companion thought that neither could she will herself not to love.

Jared would not betray the Conqueror's confidence. He remained silent as they circled back to the camp. The General placed his hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. "We leave in a candlemark. I hope next time you and I can have a longer visit."

Gabrielle covered his hand with her own. "Please take care of yourself and Xena."

"I will, lass."

 

 

The Conqueror and the Royal Guard traveled from Corinth to the east. For the past two moons the raiders' continued to cross the border from Persia. Relations with King Okal were strained at best. Kasen had done a commendable job but the Third Army alone could not cover all the territory. Collateral damage had been minimized; still, the lack of security was intolerable to Greece.

Xena tried not to think about the fact that she would be seeing Gabrielle again. She focused on her goals of neutralizing the raiders, diffusing the rising political discord and returning to Corinth as quickly as possible. Given that her sleep was restless at best, she chose to drive her men through the night in order to arrive at the garrison by mid-day. The sooner she saw Gabrielle, the sooner she could defuse her mounting unease and move on with the task at hand.

It was a candlemark past dawn when the Conqueror and the Royal Guard crossed paths with a company of soldiers in the process of breaking camp. The soldiers were new to the Conqueror's army, recruited by Lieutenant Osric for the purpose of reinforcing the east. Osric, a former Captain in the Fourth Army, had recently received his commission in Corinth. He was one of General Paulos' favorites. The Conqueror never judged the quality of an officer by the recommendation of one. She made a point of making them earn their accolades under the leadership of all her generals. She was displeased to see that they had not yet reached their destination.

Osric, on horseback, greeted the Conqueror. "Good morning, My Liege."

"Lieutenant, why aren't you at General Kasen's garrison?"

"We were delayed by raiders, My Liege."

"Any causalities?"

"Two. We lost a third man due to an incident."

"What kind of incident?"

"He was killed by a woman who claimed he tried to rape her."

"When did you and your men find time for a diversion?"

"We didn't, My Liege. She was traveling from a local village to the garrison. We invited her and her escort to join us."

"Escort?"

"Two men of the Royal Guard."

Jared shifted in his saddle. It did not go unnoticed by the Conqueror.

"Go on."

"Your Guardsmen vouched for her, said she was employed as a healer by General Kasen."

"You did not believe them?"

"I believe they protected her to secure her favor for themselves."

"Where is she?"

"We have her under arrest. I would have exercised the appropriate field justice, but the Guardsmen claimed she was under your protection and insisted that only you could proclaim her sentence. I thought if she and the Guardsmen were stupid enough to falsely name you, she should have the benefit of your unique justice."

Xena dismounted and walked into the camp. She paused, scanning its inhabitants. Osric and Jared dismounted and followed behind her.

"Show me."

"That tent, My Liege."

Xena looked toward the direction in which he pointed. Standing outside the tent was one of Osric's men. Sitting against a nearby tree, their sights fixed to the tent were the two Royal Guards.

"She is a beguiling woman. Your Guardsmen can't seem to keep their eyes off her."

Xena backhanded Osric across the face. Without looking at the effect of her strike she made her way toward the tent. From a quick step she entered a run.

Jared glared at the Lieutenant. "You better pray to the Gods that no harm has come to the girl, because if there has, I will cut you down myself."

Upon seeing the Conqueror approach, the two Guardsmen, Brogan and Hamish, immediately stood at attention. The Conqueror pushed aside Osric's guard and entered the tent. Brogan and Hamish took their rightful positions outside the entrance, displacing their rival.

Gabrielle heard the tent canvas swept aside. She could see a tall, dark figure approach. Her eyes had difficulty adjusting to the light. She heard her name spoken by the one voice she longed for. She felt herself taken into an embrace. She took in the familiar strong, sweet musk scent of the Conqueror.

"Are you hurt?"

Gabrielle shook her head. She could no longer arrest her tears.

"You're safe now. I'm taking you out of here. If you feel strong enough to ride, we'll be at Kasen's garrison in four candlemarks."

"I want to go."

"Can you stand?"

"Yes."

"Then let's get out of here." The Conqueror helped Gabrielle up. She supported the younger woman by wrapping her arm around Gabrielle's waist.

Outside of the tent, the Conqueror gave her orders. "Get the horses. We're leaving, now!"

The Guardsmen did not hesitate to carry out the command. Jared approached.

"She's all right. I want to be at the garrison by mid-day."

"What about Osric?"

"He lives for now. Brogan and Hamish are coming with us. Leave an escort for Osric. I wouldn't want him to get lost. Send a messenger to Kasen. I want my quarters ready by the time we arrive."

"Yes, My Liege."

Upon reaching Argo, Xena whispered in Gabrielle's ear. "Ride with me. If only for the first candlemark."

Gabrielle nodded.

Xena mounted Argo and then guided Gabrielle onto the saddle in front of her.

They rode for a half candlemark in silence. Xena held Gabrielle firmly to her. Gabrielle's emotions slowly settled.

"Please don't hurt Osric. He's not a member of the Royal Guard. He didn't know who I was."

"Gabrielle, Osric's lack of discipline led to one of his men attacking you. Osric then discounted the word and honor of two of my Royal Guard and in my presence, with his own tongue, he showed a lack of respect for a woman of Greece. He will learn that there are consequences for his poor judgment and his arrogance."

"I don't want anyone else to die because of me."

"You killed in self-defense. That pig of a soldier forfeited his life the moment he laid his hands on you."

"Will I stand trial?"

"No, justice has been served."

Gabrielle leaned back against Xena, relaxing for the first time in days.

"Did Brogan and Hamish serve you well?"

"Yes. They did everything they could to stop Osric."

"Why weren't they with you when you were attacked?"

"Curan. The man's name was Curan. He and I went for a walk to gather firewood. There was no reason to believe he would try to hurt me."

"How did you kill him?"

Gabrielle bowed her head.

Xena mined her knowledge of Gabrielle's training and owned weaponry. The young healer normally carried neither her short sword nor her staff. "A knife?"

Gabrielle nodded.

"I'm sorry."

Gabrielle sighed deeply. She spoke in an anguished whisper. "How can you stand having blood on your hands?"

The Conqueror stiffened. "It never really washes off, does it?"

Gabrielle concurred. "No, it doesn't."

They rode together for the better of a candlemark before Gabrielle felt ready to ride separately. Xena ensured that either she or Jared traveled beside Gabrielle throughout the balance of their journey.

 

The messenger had given General Kasen a thorough briefing. He began to mentally list whom he would name to replace Osric as Lieutenant. Osric's career, if not his life, was at its end. Both the Conqueror and Gabrielle's quarters were made ready. He ensured that any sleeping arrangements chosen by them would be accommodated in comfort.

The Conqueror's contingent was a half-candlemark from the garrison when an advance party was dispatched to request that a bath be prepared.

Xena dismounted and silently helped Gabrielle to her feet from her own mount.

"My Liege. Gabrielle, I regret that a Fourth Army soldier proved unworthy of his commission."

Xena allowed Kasen's blatant effort to disown responsibility for the episode to go without comment. "I want Osric demoted to a foot soldier and sent back to the Fourth Army. Name his successor and see to it that you reexamine every man Osric recruited. I do not trust that my standard has been upheld. Those that pass your inspection require a proper orientation."

"It will be done."

Xena led Gabrielle forward. "I don't want us to be disturbed."

"Yes, My Liege."

Within the Conqueror's quarters, a table had been set, resplendent with food and drink. The bath steamed in the far corner partially concealed behind a screen.

"Why don't you wash up? I asked for a change of your clothes and your robe to be brought from your quarters."

"Thank you." Gabrielle's gratitude was sincere although the circumstances she found herself in made her circumspect.

She walked behind the screen, grateful to have her privacy. The events of the day had been overwhelming. The relief of being released from Osric's custody was supplanted by the conflicting emotions she felt in finding herself once again in Xena's embrace. She felt safe riding with the Conqueror; certain no harm could be done to her. She felt Xena's compassion as gentle words were exchanged. She also felt her passion for Xena. Three-quarters of a year had passed since their last intimacy and still, Gabrielle could not deny that Xena moved her deeply.

She had her choice of suitors at the garrison. Inis was handsome; he wore his dark hair tied back. Six summers older than Gabrielle, of medium built and slightly less stature than the Conqueror, he had proven himself to be a skillful soldier. Considerate and intelligent, Inis engaged Gabrielle's mind. That he tried to see the world as good and discounted the power of darkness affirmed her heart. There was no faulting him, and yet, Gabrielle felt no great passion for him, only tender affection. Being with Inis was enough until the truth of her compromise was placed against the light of authentic love. What she had shared with Inis paled against the brilliance of being with Xena.

Xena removed her armor. She poured two cups of wine. With them in hand she walked toward the screen. Mid-distance she stopped. Rethinking her actions she returned to the table and rested one cup upon it. She sat down and drank the sweet wine from the second cup, taking comfort in the warm sensation that traveled through her body.

Having finished her bath, Gabrielle chose not to dress and donned her robe. She walked into the center of the room.

Xena welcomed her. "Better?"

"Yes."

"Hungry?"

Gabrielle retied her robe as she gathered her thoughts. She needed to know what Xena expected of her. "May I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Where am I to sleep?"

Xena was surprised by the query. "Where ever you wish to sleep."

"And this is because…" Gabrielle waved her hand across the room.

"I realize I can't make up for the way one of my men treated you. I thought I could at least make your homecoming a little more comfortable."

Gabrielle approached the table. She picked up a morsel of feta cheese and placed it into her mouth. The tangy taste of it brought a smile to her face. "I am hungry."

"Good."

Gabrielle sat down and prepared a plate of food for herself. "Thank you for Osric."

"I don't think he's going to feel grateful."

"He had second thoughts when he saw my medallion."

"Osric didn't think hard enough. I'm glad the medallion helped."

"I didn't know what it meant until Hamish spoke up."

"It means that no one can judge you. I have reserved that right for myself."

"The Royal Guard is held to a higher standard."

"Yes, they are."

"I've noticed the difference." Gabrielle smiled. "Would you laugh at me if I said they were more gentlemen like?"

"Not at all. They take pride in themselves and they have learned the importance of respecting others. They are all men who can think independently but also follow orders. Hamish and Brogan knew that it would be suicide to draw their swords against Osric. They convinced him that the risk of being wrong was too great and then they made sure nothing happened to you until I arrived. Did you know they were outside your tent?"

"Yes, they promised not to let anyone near me."

"You can determine a fair reward for their efforts."

"Hamish is pining to visit his home village. There is a girl there that he is courting."

"A proper leave with pay then."

"And Brogan has been wanting a new saddle."

"Done."

Gabrielle continued to eat. Xena joined her, eating sparingly in what was, to her relief, a comfortable silence. Gabrielle leaned back against the chair. Her body slacked.

"Is everything all right?"

"I didn't get much sleep. I am tired."

"If you wish, I will escort you to your quarters."

"I don't want to be alone."

Xena did not waver in her courtesy. "I'll ask Jared to send your young man to you."

"I… We are not seeing each other any more."

"I'm sorry."

"It was my choice. I didn't love him." Gabrielle steadied her doubt before continuing. "Will you stay with me, here?"

Xena nodded. "For as long as you wish."

"That could be a long time."

"I haven't slept in two days. I'm not in a hurry."

Gabrielle stood up and went back behind the screen. She removed her robe and dressed in a nightshirt. She then entered the main room.

Xena stood up. "Why don't you go on to bed? I need to wash up and change."

Gabrielle went to the Conqueror's bed. She slid under the blankets. Xena took a quick bath in the lukewarm water and dressed in her own nightshirt. Upon entering the main room she walked to a collection of pillows and rugs near a far corner and proceeded to make herself comfortable for sleep. Gabrielle observed silently. Surprised and disappointed, yet grateful for the consideration that Xena's action conveyed.

"Sleep well, Gabrielle."

Gabrielle's response caught in her throat. She did not know to whom she was speaking to, whether the Conqueror or Xena. It seemed not to matter, because she loved both. Her fatigue great, Gabrielle fell quickly to sleep. Xena stayed awake and allowed herself the luxury of watching Gabrielle in slumber. With time Morpheus claimed her as well.

 

She could feel Curan's rough hands upon her and smell his sour breath. He repeated variations of the same argument again and again. 'You need a good man. I'll show you what the Conqueror could never give you.' Gabrielle had been surprised that a new soldier to the realm would have known of her brief relationship with the Conqueror. Her rebuffs progressed from mild to vehement. In turn, he became less a seducer, very much a rapist. Frustrated, he slapped her across the face in an effort to use brute force where words had failed. She fell backward to the ground disorientated. Towering over her, he taunted. 'You weren't good enough to be the Conqueror's whore.' Those words triggered a long dormant rage in Gabrielle. Her fear and her anger fueled her next act. She grabbed a dagger from her boot and plunged it into his gut. Curan's hands went to the dagger. He held them there as he fell to his knees. Gabrielle rolled away to avoid his fall. Once stationary, her eyes returned to him. He said nothing further. He held her gaze with an undisputable look of shock upon his face.

Gabrielle walked the garrison feeling the eyes of the men upon her. Their whispered insinuations and accusations echoed inside her mind. She had killed a soldier. Why had she not run back to the camp? Why had she aimed for a lethal wound instead of one that would have incapacitated? She was a murderer protected by the Conqueror. There were indeed benefits to being the Conqueror's whore.

Gabrielle woke with a start. The memory of the nightmare held in her consciousness. She looked over to where Xena slept. She sullied the Conqueror's reputation by association. No matter how noble Xena tried to be, she would never be given fair consideration, her motives always questioned. Xena had told Gabrielle as much when she lived in Corinth. Everyone measured justice differently. In their arguments Gabrielle thought she was in the right. Now, a benefactor of the Conqueror's sovereign rule, it was not as easy to discount the exercise of justice within the realm.

 

 

Xena awoke to find herself alone. Although she knew there could be numerous explanations for Gabrielle's absence, she chose to seek the young woman out. The camp was active. The soldiers she greeted responded with a cold, near hostile glare. None spoke a word to her. As she neared Gabrielle's quarters, Xena crossed paths with Jared.

"Jared, has something happened? I'm getting the sense that all is not well."

"Maybe the men are having difficulty accepting Gabrielle's departure."

"Departure? What in Tartarus are you talking about?"

"She left early this morning."

"You let her leave? What were you thinking?"

"Gabrielle is a freewoman. She said it was for the better. I assumed she left by your request."

"Is that what you think of me, that I would throw her out?"

Jared spoke sharply. "I don't know what to expect from you when it comes to the lass. It would not have been the first time you turned her away."

Xena winced. "By the Gods I don't owe you an explanation, but I'll give you one anyway. Nothing happened between us. She bathed, ate and asked that I stay so she would not be alone as she slept. She slept on my bed and I slept on the floor."

"Then why did she leave?"

"I don't know! She has a mind of her own and I don't always understand it."

Jared's anger was pacified.

The same could not be said for Xena's. "Did she take a horse?"

"Yes, her Chestnut gelding."

"Which way did she go?"

"South." Jared offered. "It's been two candlemarks."

Xena ran to the stables. She saddled Argo as the groom stood at a distance. Jared entered the stables carrying a saddlebag and waterskin. He strapped the saddlebag to Argo's tack.

"There are three day's rations in here, a flint and a few other things you might need."

Xena worked silently. Satisfied that all was in order, she mounted Argo.

Jared offered her the waterskin. "Xena, I'm sorry I misjudged you."

Xena accepted the waterskin and secured it. "I can't blame you for loving Gabrielle."

"I have loved you longer."

"I'll remember that. You're in charge until I return."

"Yes, My Liege."

 

Xena rode Argo at full gallop until the steed was spent. She continued at a steady pace without break. Looking up at the sun she hoped Gabrielle would soon rest and eat her mid-day meal. Ahead, a small stream ran parallel with the road. Xena smiled in self-satisfaction, as well as relief, when she spied Gabrielle's gelding drinking at the stream.

Gabrielle sat, leaning against a tree, deep in thought. She was startled to hear footsteps. Looking up she saw the Conqueror standing before her.

"Do I get an explanation?"

"My Lord."

"Why, Gabrielle?"

"I can't stay at the garrison. I killed one of their own."

Xena noted that Gabrielle continued to hold to a formal recognition. She realized Gabrielle had not used either her name nor a formal address all of the previous day. She set aside her frustration.

"He was not a member of either the Royal Guard or the Third Army. You have more brothers in that garrison than you know. Right now they believe I sent you away. I don't mind being thought a bitch, but I do prefer that when I am it be deserved."

"They judge me."

"They judge you as compassionate and skilled, as someone worthy of their respect and admiration."

"Not all."

"What happened this morning?"

"It wasn't this morning."

"Don't judge them by Osric's men."

"Curan said…"

"I don't care what he said. He didn't know you. His intentions were obscene and he would have done whatever he could to break you."

Gabrielle looked away.

"Is there another reason? Did I do something yesterday to hurt or offend you?"

Gabrielle reacted passionately to the question. With her eyes she caught and held Xena's gaze. "No, My Lord."

"Then go back to your home where you are wanted and needed." Xena offered a gentle smile. "If you don't, Jared will never forgive me. He's the best friend I have and I can't bear to lose him."

"Do it for you?"

Xena went down to one knee, eye to eye with Gabrielle. She was earnest. "Please."

"I will do as you request, My Lord."

"Thank you, Gabrielle."

 

 

 

Xena walked toward the garrison's center court. The men of the Royal Guard and a number from the Third Army sat around the fire pit. One lone woman sat with them. To the left of Gabrielle sat Hamish, to the right Brogan. They were positions of honor. The two Guardsmen knew not only Gabrielle’s and the Conqueror's gratitude, but also that of their fellow soldiers.

Gabrielle had been overwhelmed by the reception she received. Given the Conqueror's reaction upon learning of Gabrielle's departure, and a few carefully selected words from Jared, the men jointly came to the conclusion that Gabrielle's reason for leaving was independent of her perplexing relationship with the Conqueror. They were left to consider that Gabrielle might have left because a soldier had attempted to rape her and that she was forced to kill because of it. Each one felt the shame that supposition brought to their brotherhood.

Xena chose to stand beside Kasen who stood slightly removed from the gathering although still within earshot of Gabrielle's voice. A chorus of laughter rose from the group.

"It's good to have her back, My Liege."

The Conqueror mused. "I've missed her storytelling."

"Gabrielle has been writing many of her stories. I could ask her the favor of having copies transcribed for my library."

"You don't have a library."

"I was hoping you would lend me space in the palace archives until I did."

Xena smiled. "It could be arranged. Thank you, General."

Another round of laughter rose from the men in response to a particularly pithy observation Gabrielle had made. Xena waited until the voices settled before pursuing her curiosity.

"Kasen, why did Gabrielle leave the garrison?"

"The local midwife is the mother of one of my men. Gabrielle arranged to spend a fortnight working with her "

"Birthing babies. That isn't a skill she would get in an army garrison."

"Gabrielle continues to seek out opportunities to learn."

"You've done well by her. I've haven't thanked you."

"She has given back far more than she's received. I only wish to see her happy."

"Look at her, General. That looks like happiness to me."

"She's lonely, My Liege."

"What happened with her young man?"

"All I know is that Inis came to me asking for a transfer soon after your last visit. It was obvious that the decision to separate was not his and that to see her every day and not be able to have her was more than he could stand. So, I granted his request."

"She has a great capacity for love."

"And an equal need to be loved."

"Her brothers are making a fine show of their affection for her."

"With all due respect, My Liege, it is not their love that she waits for."

"Kasen, if I didn't know better I would say that you and Jared are conspirators."

"If we are, our motives are honorable."

"I believe you presume too much on Gabrielle's part. She has been courteous to me, no more."

"Again, with all due respect My Liege, under the circumstances, I believe she must be given reason to hope that more could once again be possible between the two of you. You are the only one able to give her that hope."

"Let's listen to her story, General. I know it and it promises a happy ending. Something I will never be able to do."

 

Gabrielle had noted the Conqueror's presence throughout the evening. She took great pleasure in hearing the Conqueror's full-bodied laughter intermixed with the others. The Conqueror's smile was rare. To be the reason for it gave Gabrielle a deep satisfaction.

Xena waited until the gathering dispersed before making her way toward the center court. Gabrielle responded to the Conqueror's approach by walking toward her. They met, each having crossed equal distance.

"It was a fine evening, Gabrielle. I hope your doubts have been eased."

"I do feel better. Thank you for bringing me back."

"You're welcome."

"I would be happy to accept any special request you might have for tomorrow night."

"I'm sorry to say that I won't be here to hear you. I leave in the morning."

"Your Guard didn't tell me they were leaving."

"They don't know. I thought they deserved an easy evening. They will get their orders when they wake."

"The border problem?"

"Yes. I've received new intelligence. It's time I make a personal visit to the suspected antagonist."

"Will it be dangerous?"

"Jared will be watching my back."

Gabrielle noted that her question had not received a direct answer. "I wish you a safe journey, My Lord."

Once again, Gabrielle's conscious decision not to call Xena by name cut sharply. The Conqueror nodded. Gabrielle offered a minor bow and took her leave.

Xena struggled with her conflicting emotions. With a hint of desperation she called out Gabrielle's name. Gabrielle paused and turned back to the Conqueror.

"Yes, My Lord?"

Gabrielle's formal address squelched whatever hopes Xena held for reconciliation. She had no words that could bridge the distance between them.

"Good night."

"Good night, My Lord."

 

 

Jared informed the Conqueror that preparations for departure had been completed. She looked over to Gabrielle who stood outside the infirmary. Throughout the morning many of the Royal Guard had made a point of going to her to say good-bye. For the moment, Gabrielle was alone. Taking advantage of the lull, the Conqueror led Argo toward the infirmary.

As the Conqueror approached she realized she had Gabrielle's complete regard.

"Gabrielle."

"My Lord."

"Before I leave I want you to know that I regret sending you away from me. My reasons had nothing to do with your worthiness. I did not want to see you hurt. I still don't. If I could, if it would make a difference in your feelings for me, I would go back in time and change my decision. I beg your pardon for the way I treated you."

Gabrielle was stunned by Xena's admission. Given the Conqueror's polite and impassive conduct, nothing could have been more unexpected. Xena waited for a response. Gabrielle's silence was heartbreaking. The Conqueror offered a half-bow and turned away.

Gabrielle reached out, placing her hand upon Xena's arm. "Xena, it isn't too late to ask me to join you."

Xena contained her joy. "Are you sure?"

"There is nothing I want more than to be with you."

"Then you will be with me."

Gabrielle did not care that they were in complete view of the garrison. She made her claim upon the Conqueror by stealing a kiss, embodied with all the ardor that she had held in check since seeing Xena two moons prior. Gabrielle's fervor overwhelmed any thought Xena may have had of gradually renewing the physical nature of their relationship. Her response equaled Gabrielle's in passion. Reluctantly, she broke the embrace.

There was no hiding her smile. Xena spoke softly. "You better get packing."

Gabrielle placed her hand upon Xena's cheek. She could feel the threads of their intimate connection weave themselves to one unbreakable cord. She placed a gentle kiss upon Xena's lips. "I won't be long." Gabrielle ran toward her quarters.

Having witnessed the exchange, Jared approached the Conqueror.

His voice did not disguise his satisfaction. "My Liege, will we be having the services of a healer during our travels?"

Xena kept her eyes on Gabrielle. "Jared, please inform Kasen that the conspiracy was successful and that I am forever in his debt."

"With pleasure, My Liege."

"And Jared."

"Yes, My Liege?"

"There is more than one way to save a life. Instead of wielding a sword you can simply speak the truth. We, my friend, are even."

"I'm happy for you, Xena."

"Thank you, Jared."

 

 

The Conqueror led her men to a secluded stretch of land near the boarder. It would be their base camp as they scouted the region. Come the following morning Xena planned to lead a small scouting party south while Jared lead a similar scouting party north.

She ate with Jared, Stephen and two seasoned officers Tavis and Sentas. They discussed strategy as Gabrielle sat by the Conqueror's side, listening, learning. Satisfied with their plans the Conqueror stood up.

"We leave at dawn. I recommend you get some sleep. We have a long day ahead of us."

Sentas, the brashest of the Lieutenants made a request. "I'm sure there is still time for a story to be told."

With a glance the Conqueror deferred to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked up at the Conqueror expecting that she would answer. When she did not, Gabrielle turned her eyes to the awaiting officers. It only then became obvious to her that she was free to decide how she would spend her evening.

Gabrielle stood and deftly took the Conqueror's hand. "Forgive me for refusing your invitation but there is somewhere else I wish to be. Good night."

The men echoed wishes for a good night.

Jared slapped Sentas in the arm. "Now I know that fools are born every candle drop, some even when they're full grown lieutenants in the Conqueror's army."

Sentas grinned. "It didn't hurt to try. Anyway, I wanted to see the Conqueror's reaction."

Stephen quizzed. "Did you see a reaction?"

"Yes, but not the one I expected."

Jared counseled. "Don't do it again. The Conqueror's sense of humor only goes so far, especially when it comes to Gabrielle."

 

Xena and Gabrielle walked hand-in-hand to their tent. Trevor stood guard.

Xena placed her free hand on Trevor's shoulder. "Go get some rest. We'll be fine tonight."

"Thank you, My Liege." Trevor was grateful for the short watch.

The two women entered the tent.

Xena raised their held hands. "I will need to get accustomed to this."

"Do you mind, terribly?"

"I'm not one to show my affection publicly."

"I didn't mean to…"

Xena touched Gabrielle's lips with her fingertips. "Don't apologize. I didn't say I didn't like it."

"Then I have your permission."

"I will trust you to exercise discretion."

"I promise."

"Good." Xena released Gabrielle's hand and removed her chakram and sword and placed them near their bed of skins and blankets. "It's not like you to turn down the opportunity to be a bard for the evening."

Gabrielle stood in her place, uncertain of how to begin. "Xena, it's been a long time since we've been together."

Xena ceased undressing and turned to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle continued. "I've missed your touch."

Xena had wondered. "Have you?"

"Yes."

"I remember our last night together fondly."

"I want to be with you, but I'm frightened."

"Of me?"

Gabrielle looked down and shook her head. "No, for me."

As much as Xena wanted to go to Gabrielle she felt it best to keep her distance. "Tell me."

Gabrielle returned her gaze to Xena. "You have the power to make me feel." Gabrielle's words drifted to silence. She put her two hands together as if in prayer, trying to find the right words. She began anew. "After you left me, nothing, no one could fill the emptiness I felt. I shut that emptiness away in my heart." Gabrielle placed her hand over her chest and took a deep breath, seeking to calm her heart's quickening beat. "It was the only way I could go on. I know that being with you again… I know I won't be able to stop that part of my heart from opening up again. Being with you will complete me and it will be wonderful. I'm afraid… If you leave me again… I don't know if I can survive that emptiness a second time."

Xena spoke with a steady, earnest voice. "A long time ago I gave you my word that I would never bed another as long as you were with me. My word stands. What I have never promised you is that I would want you with me indefinitely."

Xena's words were hard for Gabrielle to hear. She knew that it was her doing that Xena spoke them.

Xena continued. "Tonight Gabrielle I give you my word that I will never again send you away. From this day forward whether we are together or apart is for you to decide. The choice is yours. I will honor you decision without protest."

Gabrielle had Xena's promise. There was a part of her when reopened would cry. The tears would be familiar, provoked by the same omission that always moved them to the surface. With all that bound her to Xena and bound Xena to her, there remained the void left by the unspoken. Xena had no words of love to give Gabrielle. Gabrielle had not asked for them and she would not dare give them. It was words of love that preceded their separation. Gabrielle did not discount how they affected Xena. She was certain that they contributed to the very decision Xena promised never to repeat.

Gabrielle was not willing to tempt the Fates. She understood their terms of engagement for all they granted her and for the one thing they withheld from her. If on this night she invited Xena to her, she would have Xena as no one ever had in the past or would have in her lifetime. If she invited Xena to her, their commitment was absolute. What they would exchange was not a joining; there would be no ceremony or ritual, no public declaration. It was an arrangement between two women, a sovereign and a freewoman. Her tears would be with her always. The price exacted for her unrequited love. It was a price she chose to pay because the tears did not come often - at all other times she knew happiness. Gabrielle was convinced that their arrangement was enough.

She went to Xena; leaning up Gabrielle placed a tender kiss upon the warrior's lips. "Be with me tonight."

 

Xena's intimate strokes, sweet kisses and few whispered words carried Gabrielle to climax. Xena held Gabrielle as the younger woman's body shuddered and then stilled. Gabrielle allowed her tears to fall freely as she continued her fierce hold upon her lover.

Given Gabrielle's confession of vulnerability, Xena understood that on this night of renewed intimacies, Gabrielle needed her gentlest touch and her constant reassurance. As Gabrielle's tears subsided, Xena kissed Gabrielle upon the cheek and repeated her promise.

"I will never leave you."

Upon hearing the promise, Gabrielle tightened her hold and her tears surged anew.

There was no doubt in Xena's heart that she had made the right decision. It was better to live briefly and have their connection than to live long without it.

 

Morning came sooner than either of the lovers would have liked. Gabrielle rested on her side, her gaze falling gently on Xena.

"Take me with you."

Xena turned to face Gabrielle. "You're serious?"

"I want to learn." Gabrielle took Xena's hand. "You'll keep me safe."

"Arguing to my ego won't help you."

"I'm not. It's the truth."

Xena offered no encouragement.

Gabrielle continued her campaign. "It's only a scouting party. Your orders are to gather information and come back to camp. We're not going to engage the raiders."

"We?"

Gabrielle blushed.

"What if the raiders engage us?"

"You keep forgetting that I've been trained by your Royal Guard." Gabrielle sobered. "Xena, I've proven I can and will protect myself."

Xena leaned her body over Gabrielle's, until Gabrielle lay on her back. She studied Gabrielle's countenance carefully, playing with a few wisps of Gabrielle's hair as she thought.

"Why look for trouble?"

"I'm not. I'm looking after you. That's been my reason in life ever since I came to Corinth."

"You never went into battle with me before. Why start now?"

"Because I'm ready. And, I've learned I have no life without you."

Xena smiled. "Poteidaia grows tough peasant girls."

"I wager almost as tough as Amphipolis does."

"Very well. There is one condition. In the field you do as I say. No arguments."

"Don't worry, Jared has taught me that rule."

Gabrielle cupped Xena's face with her hand. "Xena, what does this say about us off the field?"

"There are certain protocols I still ask that you follow in front of my men and in Court. Otherwise you are as free with me as I am with you."

"In Court?"

"When we return to Corinth Targon will teach you."

Gabrielle set the thought of Court aside. "Thank you."

"For?"

"For last night."

Xena kissed Gabrielle lightly. "Last night gave me only pleasure. It is I who am grateful to you."

 

 

Dressed in clothes that did not mark them as soldier or nobility, Xena's scouting party traveled the border as inconspicuously as possible. Their weapons were hidden near at hand. They saw no indication of raiders. The villagers they spoke to had no insight to offer. Though in terms of gathering intelligence it was a frustrating day, Xena enjoyed having Gabrielle with her. It was not only that the bard's storytelling entertained her and her men; it was having Gabrielle's occasional smile or observation that made the day pleasant.

They returned to camp late in the evening. Jared awaited the Conqueror in the mess tent. He and his Lieutenants stood when Xena and Gabrielle entered. The officers had ensured two seats were available. Xena called for food and mead.

Xena directed her question to the General. "I hope you had better luck than we did."

"We did. Less than three candlemarks from here is an outpost. All indications tell me that we'll find our raiders there."

"What side of the border?"

"Persia."

"Crossing over will break our treaty. Any sign of the Persian army?"

"A few men came and went."

"They could be outlaws acting outside of King Okal's decree. If not, Okal is both a liar and a fool."

"He has never struck me as a fool."

"Nor I. My bet is that he doesn't know his soldiers are in with the raiders. He won't believe Greece unless I bring him proof. We will need to infiltrate the raiders' camp."

"The moon is at a quarter face and if the weather holds it will be a clear night."

"A party of four should do. Jared, Stephen and Sentas, be ready after evening meal tomorrow." Xena smiled. "This will be a good field test for the finest of the Royal Guard."

With their strategy decided, Xena and her officers had an easy conversation. Gabrielle ate quietly, joining the banter only when addressed.

 

The following morning, resting in their bed, Gabrielle laid her head upon Xena's heart. "Take me with you."

"Are these the words that are going to greet me every morning?"

"I can be useful to you."

"No Gabrielle. Not this mission. I need seasoned warriors. The fewer the better."

"When will you be back?"

"Mid-day tomorrow. No later."

"Why must you go? You are the Sovereign. I can't imagine Caesar or King Okal going on a mission like this."

"It's who I am. I was a warrior before I ruled Greece and I am a warrior as I rule Greece. If I stop being a warrior I will lose Greece and that I will not do."

"You've done a great deal of good."

Xena smiled. "Do you believe that or are you playing to my ego again?"

"I was not playing to your ego yesterday and I am not playing to it today. I've lived in the east for over nine moons and have seen how people live here. It can be a hard life at times, but it is a good life. The people speak well of you. They do appreciate the fact that you are trying to stop the raiders and that you decreased their taxes to help offset their losses."

Gabrielle waited for a response. None was forthcoming. She leaned up to better see Xena.

"You shouldn't measure Greece by how the people of Amphipolis feel about you."

"I don't worry about Amphipolis. My mother has made a point of trying to convince those that still blame me for the battle with Cortese that it's time to forgive and move on."

"Have you seen Cyrene since we were in Amphipolis?"

"A few times. She refuses to come to Corinth. She said it's too big for her and that she would feel out of place in Court. I told her she could teach the Nobles a few things. Maybe it's for the best. I don't know what the Nobles would do with themselves having both you and Mother to contend with."

"I'm nothing special."

Xena rejoined. "You are my…" She stopped herself from finishing her intended thought. "You are my equal."

"If you really believed that you would take me with you tonight."

"Do I know you? Have you always been so stubborn and obstinate?"

"You now know the difference between being with a slave and being with a freewoman."

Xena sobered. "I'm sorry."

"I didn't mean… Xena don't. If you go back in time do it only so you will know how much you've changed my life for the better."

Xena was despondent.

Gabrielle wryly taunted. "I will prove it to you and have my way tonight by it."

Xena's interest was aroused. "What do you propose?"

"A test of skill. Spar with me. If I hold my own against you, you must take me with you tonight."

"Being able to use a sword is not a measure of a better life."

"That depends on the world you live in."

 

Gabrielle stood at ready position against Xena. Xena hated what she was about to do. By agreement Jared stood witness.

Xena stepped forward, marking the beginning of their engagement. Gabrielle waited for Xena to make her move. Exercising her greater patience Xena disappointed. Gabrielle swung her sword at Xena in a cross angle. Xena countered, shifted her body forward, tripped Gabrielle with a back swing of her leg and placed her sword against the fallen woman's chest.

"Gabrielle, you're dead."

Gabrielle lay on the dirt stunned.

Xena turned to Jared. "I didn't realize you had personally tutored Gabrielle. You are the only one I taught that move to."

Jared spoke softly. "This test is unfair. You can take down any man in the Guard."

"It was not my idea, Jared. What is done is done."

She walked away leaving Jared to console her defeated lover.

 

The foursome remained outside the raiders' outpost waiting for night to fall.

Xena gave her final directions. "Jared take Sentas to the left. Stephen and I will take the right. Remember, I want information more than a fight."

Jared quipped. "You're mellowing, My Liege."

Xena countered. "No, I just know I'm in the company of the young, the impetuous and the decrepit and have planned accordingly."

The men laughed quietly. It was a good release of tension.

Xena asked a final time. "Ready?"

The men nodded.

"Jared, I expect to see you and Sentas here come morning. Don't disappoint me."

"The same to you, My Liege."

"Go then, and be quiet about it."

As the night progressed Xena's disappointment increased. She and Stephen each took one tent at a time, listening for clues in the interior conversations that would either confirm or discount King Okal's involvement. She was treated to nothing more than the boastings of second-rate warriors. They entered the quiet tents seeking more tangible evidence. Xena found the munitions. Stephen entered two storehouses. Outside of her tally of men, it was a wasted effort.

Sentas signaled to Jared. Jared made his way to the tent. Together they listened. It was a good mark. Jared counted three voices. The men were discussing their plans for the future. They were not in agreement.

"We can't keep taunting the Conqueror. She will disregard the border and make waste of us." The man had a thick Persian accent.

A Greek countered him. "The Conqueror is no more than a bitch in heat. She stays in Corinth. Her only care is what plaything she will invite between her legs."

Jared was grateful Gabrielle was not with them to hear the insults.

"Are all Greeks as crude as you, Montavous?"

"Only the civilized ones." Montavous countered.

A second Persian, with a deeper voice, interrupted. "This is not getting us anywhere. We have made a good profit. There is no reason why we shouldn't keep reaping the bounty Greece provides us."

The first Persian challenged. "That is easy for you to say, Leyan. All you have to do is march your men away from our positions. My men are the ones risking their lives crossing the border."

"If you think appeasing King Okal is easy why don't you try it?"

"I am not the leader of his western front."

"And so with my position go certain privileges such as a fair share of the spoils."

Montavous spoke up. "Halan, will you open your eyes? There is no way we can lose. The worst that can happen is that Greece declares war on Persia."

Leyan remarked forcefully. "I am in no mood to go to war with Greece."

Montavous ignored Leyan. "Mercenaries like us will have an easier time of it. No matter what village we raid on either side of the border, the blame will go elsewhere. And, we won't have to be so careful. We'll have the time to take our pleasure with the women and sell any villagers still left alive to slavers."

Halan taunted. "Have you no morals?"

"I didn't realize you were a man of such high moral standards?"

"We obviously follow a different code."

"Don't talk to me about a Warrior's Code. I had my fill of it when I fought in Xena's army. She could have destroyed all the nations and put them under her thumb. But no, she wanted only Greece. The vassals are ruled independently with only a token tribute for show."

"Lao Ma has moved her forces south. She did it by the Conqueror's request. Greece is stronger because of its allies. If we were to fall between Chin and Greece there will be nothing left of us. Even our bones will be crushed to dust."

"We won't be. Lao Ma will not cross her southern border. This is all show. Damn be the Gods, I should have picked men and not frightened milkmaids as my partners."

The sound of a dagger hitting a table traveled through the canvas.

"Insult Greece all you want, but I warn you Montavous, don't you dare insult Persia a second time or I will strike you dead where you stand. I can always find another Greek to provide my intelligence."

Montavous remained composed. He referred to a map lying on the table. "Leyan, how good of you to mark our next target with your dagger."

The tent fell silent as the men remained at a standstill.

Montavous broke the stalemate. "I say we move south. I am planting false information that the Persian raiders are moving north. We give the Third Army a chance to reposition itself. While they march south we will have an easy fortnight of raids before they have a chance to react."

Leyan concurred. "I hate to agree with Montavous but he makes a strong argument. A second advantage of moving south is our access to the sea. It will be easier to get a good price for our spoils."

Montavous continued to persuade. "Including the price for Greek slaves. They have been off the export market for so long the novelty of having them will bring us a premium price."

Harlan assented. "Very well. The next trade caravan is scheduled to arrive in five to seven days. We will march after I complete my business with the merchants."

"I'll cross the border tomorrow and head north. It shouldn't take long for my misinformation to reach General Kasen." Montavous did not hide his satisfaction in winning the argument.

Leyan concluded the triad. "And I'll begin my effort to convince the King to deploy Persia's troops to mirror Kasen. Persia will be more concerned with Greece then with anything you may do."

Montavous was cocky. "I say this agreement deserves a toast. Halan, have you a wine worthy of our allegiance?"

Halan's enthusiasm was muted. "In my tent. Come."

Jared and Sentas remained still until they were certain the trio had left.

Sentas whispered. "We have all we need."

"Not all." Jared corrected. "I want that dagger."

"How do you know Leyen didn't take it with him?"

"I didn't hear him pull it from the table. Did you?"

"No."

"I wager this is his tent. Can't hurt to look."

"You shouldn't take the Conqueror's decrepit remark to heart."

"Do you really think she meant me when she said it? I thought I was the impetuous one." Jared offered Sentas a wry smile. "Keep watch. I'll be right back."

Jared went round the tent. It was easier than cutting through or lifting the stakes and going under the tarp. He pulled the dagger from the table and slid it under his belt. He heard two male voices approach. He had little choice in finding cover. A large chest was placed against one side. He lifted the cover. To his relief he found it empty. He positioned himself inside and closed the cover.

The first man entered followed by the second.

"It's about time they left. Why do they have to use our quarters for their meetings is beyond me."

"Neutrality." The second offered as a reason.

"Neutrality, my ass. This is Halan's camp. He could have Montavous and Leyan killed with one word."

"True, but we need those bastards if we hope to keep our casualties low."

The men continued their conversation as they removed their weapons and prepared for sleep.

Sentas listened, hoping for a clue to Jared's whereabouts. He kept his position until he saw the sun break over the horizon. He had no choice but to return to their designated meeting site and report to the Conqueror.

Xena's heart paused at the sight of Sentas returning alone. She braced herself for the worst news possible, although her intellect told her that the camp would have stirred if an intrusion had been detected.

The Conqueror had only one word for Sentas. "Report."

Sentas gave a full accounting of Jared's absence first and followed with a retelling of the conversation they overheard.

Sentas and Stephen waited as the Conqueror considered her options.

She raised her eyes to her officers. "Pray that if Jared falls asleep he doesn't snore." She shook her head with a smile needing to make light of the difficult situation.

The men smiled in appreciation.

"Sentas, lead us back to the tent. We will take turns keeping watch. If the Fates are kind, Jared won't be detected. Come nightfall we will escort the old man out."

Stephen took comfort in how easy the Conqueror made their plan.

The day passed at an excruciatingly slow pace. Xena knew life and death was often determined by the ability to withstand the stress of not acting. More times than she could count, she held back her army with the sound of her officers' protests ringing in her ear. Each time after the battle was won they came back to her humbled. The best learned to trust her. She was grateful Sentas and Stephen learned the lesson prior to this day. Having Jared in jeopardy forced her patience to its limit.

The tent’s occupants came and went throughout the day. It was a high traffic area and any thought of an early foray was consistently stymied.

When night fell, Xena counted one man in the tent. She cursed under her breath. "If he doesn't go to the mess tent soon, he'll never know the taste of food again."

Stephen debated offering a reassuring word but chose better of it.

Another candlemark passed before Sentas pointed. "There, My Liege. He's gone."

Xena bolted from her position. "Let's go. You know what to do."

They moved in unison. Sentas took his position at the back of the tent ready to cut at the seam if necessary. Stephen remained at one side of the tent. Having a clearer view of the camp movement his role was to signal an approach. Xena entered the tent through the front entrance. She scanned the space looking for Jared's hiding place. Given the sparse furnishings his location was obvious. She whistled her hawk's call to reassure him before opening the chest.

Jared blinked as the light hit his eyes. "It's about time you came for me."

"Let's go, my friend. I've got a beautiful woman waiting for me."

Jared laughed. "If only I could say the same."

 

Riding into the camp Xena searched for Gabrielle. She dismounted and gave Argo's reins to an awaiting groom. Trevor met her.

"Where is Gabrielle?"

"We are worried about her, My Liege."

"Why? What's happened?"

"She became anxious when you failed to return yesterday. She hasn't left your tent since last night."

Xena ran to their tent slowing her step upon reaching the entrance. She took a breath, raising her palm against the canvas as if to seek out a sense of what resided within. Shifting the canvas aside she stepped in. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the dim light. Gabrielle sat huddled on their bed. Xena stepped slowly.

"Gabrielle."

Gabrielle did not respond. Xena went down to her knees beside her. She repeated Gabrielle's name. Gabrielle shifted away from her. Xena reached out.

Gabrielle pushed her away. Her voice was faint. "No."

"Gabrielle, please." Xena tried again.

Gabrielle hit Xena weakly upon the chest with her fist. "You promised."

Xena became more forceful in her attempt to embrace Gabrielle. She took a second and third blow as Gabrielle repeated her accusation.

"You promised!"

Xena held Gabrielle by the shoulders. "I didn't break my promise. Jared got into some trouble. I couldn't leave him behind. I knew you wouldn't have wanted that."

Gabrielle caught and held Xena's gaze. Xena's gentle regard affirmed her promise.

Gabrielle cried out. "Oh, Gods!" She reached out and embraced Xena. She wept freely.

Xena felt Gabrielle's trembling body radiate the younger woman's fear and sorrow. Xena never expected such a profound reaction from Gabrielle. She assumed that Tavis’ and Trevor's reassurances would have been sufficient to ease Gabrielle's concerns.

Xena shifted Gabrielle over her lap, rocking her in a calming rhythm. She wondered where the strong peasant girl from Poteidaia had regressed. Xena continued to rock Gabrielle whispering words of assurance until the younger woman calmed.

Xena knew it would be cruel to subject Gabrielle to repeated days and nights in wait for her return. She also knew that severing their relationship was no longer a possibility for either of them. That left only two other choices. The first, to avoid future battles was in Xena's mind impossible. One viable choice remained.

"Gabrielle, are you with me?"

Gabrielle nodded.

"Your place, if you wish it, will always be by my side. You will never again have to ask me to take you with me."

Gabrielle remained still, seeking comfort in the sound of Xena's heartbeat.

Xena waited. She struggled with the silence until she could bear it no longer. "Gabrielle, do you ask more from me?"

Gabrielle shook her head slightly. She whispered. "No."

Xena rested her head against Gabrielle's.

Gabrielle took Xena's hand. "Thank you."

 

Trevor had briefed Jared. Jared waited, feeling equal concern for both women. Two candlemarks passed before Xena left the tent in search for food and drink.

Jared approached her. "How is the lass?"

"I've made her a promise never to leave her behind again." Xena's gaze gravitated toward the tent. "No criticism intended, but it's time I train her myself."

Jared's gaze followed Xena's. "I agree."

"I've got what I came for. We return to Corinth."

"How do you wish to handle the raiders?"

"Send Okal Greece's intelligence. That dagger you risked your life for will be our proof. Greece will offer an alliance to defeat the rebels. Get word to Kasen that he will need to create an appropriate diversion to the north. Tavis will stay here with his company and provide the necessary force to crush the raiders when they make their move in the south. Sentas and Stephen and their companies return to Corinth with us.

 

As was her custom, Xena stood to the side of the circle of lounging men. All eyes were intent upon Gabrielle as she weaved her story. Xena had noted a subtle change in the bard. Gabrielle quieted. In their bed Gabrielle held close to Xena as if fearful that Xena would disappear in the night. Xena waited patiently for Gabrielle to speak her concern. She took solace that even from their first days as mistress and slave, Gabrielle had always come freely to her with her requests and thoughts. Xena was certain it was only a matter of time before Gabrielle shared what troubled her.

Gabrielle completed her story and graciously declined to tell another. Xena approached and offered her hand to the bard.

She made her own request. "Walk with me."

Gabrielle took Xena's hand and followed her through the woods to a clearing.

Xena mused. "Tomorrow we arrive in Corinth."

Gabrielle released Xena's hand and stepped a few paces away. She found the prospect of returning to the capital daunting.

"So much has happened between us. We can never go back to the way we were before I left Corinth, can we?"

Gabrielle's statement was unexpected. Xena responded cautiously. "Not to the letter."

"Being in the palace will be different than being in the field with the Guardsmen." Gabrielle continued, her voice as distant as her stance.

Xena felt a rising apprehension. "Yes, it will. We have been free with my men. It will feel different in Court."

"Xena, I don't want to disappoint or hurt you."

Xena was now certain that she did not want to hear what Gabrielle was about to say to her. "Gabrielle, I hold to my word. You must do what is best for you."

Gabrielle recalled one haunting exchange in the woods not far from Amphipolis. Even near death, Xena did not claim to love her. Gabrielle feared that without Xena's love there were limits to what Xena would ultimately accept from her. Here was their first test.

Gabrielle did not want to pretend before the Nobles to be other than the woman she was. The fraud would be too painful.

"Would you consent to return to our arrangement? I know the fact I've shared your tent won't be a secret, but with time people may come to believe that you've moved on to someone else."

Xena bit her lip. She was wounded by Gabrielle's proposal of perpetuating her less than respectable reputation as a means of camouflaging their relationship. Unable to hold Gabrielle's gaze, Xena turned away. She struggled to compose herself.

Gabrielle waited anxious for an answer.

The Conqueror spoke keeping her back to Gabrielle. "It would be better if you didn't ride beside me tomorrow. We might as well not wait to begin the deception."

Ashamed, Gabrielle was grateful for Xena's turned back. "I won't sleep with you tonight. The Guardsmen will assume that you brought me here to tell me…"

Xena could not stop a tear from falling. "Go on then and remove your things. I'll return in a little while."

"Xena." Gabrielle felt her lover's injury.

"Go on Gabrielle, you've made your decision and we will both live by it."

 

Xena led the Royal Guardsmen through the streets of Corinth. She dismounted at the palace courtyard, giving Argo's reins to a groom. She began to walk away from the activity, longing for the privacy of her suite. She paused for a moment and looked back seeking one lone figure. Her eyes rested upon Gabrielle who was being greeted by Dalius.

Gabrielle felt an indefinable tug. She looked toward the palace and met the Conqueror's gaze. She wondered if she could right her wrong. She excused herself and made her way toward Xena. Seeing Gabrielle approach, Xena walked to meet her.

Gabrielle stopped a pace from her lover. "Forgive me."

Xena was hopeful Gabrielle had a change of heart. "There is nothing to forgive."

"I don't belong in your world. I belong with them." Gabrielle glanced over to the mass of people unpacking and situating their belongings.

Xena owned. "I am one of them, too."

"You are also the ruler of Greece."

"You are my equal."

"I feel your equal when I am alone with you and that is only because you make me feel worthy."

Xena stepped forward, "You are worthy."

"In your eyes."

"You're wrong. But even if you were right, no one else's matters."

"There you are wrong. Who I feel I am matters."

"I didn't mean to discount you."

"I know." Gabrielle took a breath to steady her rising emotion.

"You are maddening." Xena would not deny Gabrielle. "You shall have our arrangement, but only if I am allowed to set one term of my own."

Gabrielle braced herself.

"In our suite, you will never again serve me."

Gabrielle nodded. She excused herself. "I have work to do."

Xena turned and walked to the palace. This time she did not look back.

 

Jared and Stephen stood side-by-side, having observed the exchange between the Conqueror and Gabrielle.

"General. I know it's not my business to ask, but are you free to tell me what happened between the Conqueror and Miss Gabrielle?"

"I wish I knew, Lieutenant."

"The Conqueror does not seem pleased with the separation."

"No, she doesn't."

 

 

Days passed without Xena going to the infirmary or otherwise seeing Gabrielle. Gabrielle's subtle inquiries were responded to in like manner. The Conqueror's mood left many mystified. She was told that the Conqueror devoted herself to the business of Greece without taking time to work with the Royal Guard or enjoy her other few pleasures. She did not share her dinner table let alone her bed. All the behaviors the household was accustomed of using to judge the Conqueror had become unreliable. Only General Jared and Targon had daily access to her and neither of them was forthcoming.

Gabrielle waited until late in the evening to walk down the hidden corridor between her room and Xena's suite. A steady watch of the Conqueror's suite entrance ensured that Xena was alone. Gabrielle knocked lightly. Xena opened the entrance. Mirroring Gabrielle, she was dressed in a nightshirt and robe.

Gabrielle requested. "May I come in?"

Xena stepped aside, allowing Gabrielle entry. She closed the entrance.

Gabrielle turned to her. "How are you?"

Xena was subdued. "I've been catching up on business. And you?"

"I've missed you."

Xena walked to the fireplace. "I'm told you have renewed your apprenticeship with Dalius."

For the moment Gabrielle was willing to honor Xena's evasion. "I want to get as much of my life back as I can. Dalius has been very welcoming."

"Good."

Xena sat down in her chair expecting Gabrielle to take her place across from her. Gabrielle followed wordlessly. She broke custom and sat upon Xena's lap, laying her head against Xena's shoulder. Gabrielle closed her eyes and said a silent prayer to the Gods that she would not be rejected. Slowly, she felt Xena envelop her in an embrace.

Xena remembered the last time she held Gabrielle as she did now. It was upon her return from the raiders' camp. On that day she swore that Gabrielle's place was beside her. Her thoughts traveled further into the past to the evening of their renewed intimacy after their separation. It was the occasion of another promise, her promise to honor Gabrielle's choice whether they would be together or apart. Both promises played at Xena's heart. She never imagined having Gabrielle with her would have the power to break her heart as it did now.

A candlemark passed. The only motion within the room was the rising and falling breath of each woman. Gabrielle's need, more than her confidence moved her to take Xena's hand and gently place a kiss upon its palm. Xena looked down absently. Gabrielle took the opportunity to lift her head and kiss her partner, hoping to coax Xena to the present moment.

Xena responded to the kiss, her desire waking in the quiet of the night. Their kissed deepened. Xena set her pain aside. She lifted Gabrielle up and carried her to their bed.

 

Gabrielle woke, her body languid, her mind at ease. She turned toward Xena, seeking her lover's touch. She was troubled to find herself alone.

"Xena?" She called out softly. There was no response.

The bedchamber was illuminated by moonlight. She put on her robe and searched the suite. Xena was not within its walls. From the balcony Gabrielle looked out into the night. The sky was clear. The stars burned bright.

Gabrielle followed the winding steps up to the turret. As she made the last turn she spied Xena standing hunched over against the turret ledge. Seeing Xena in such a posture of defeat was foreign to Gabrielle. She felt a devastating press within her heart. She held her place on the stairs, acutely aware that she was the cause of Xena's sorrow. Gabrielle's remorse had no easy relief. She returned to their bed without having revealed her presence.

 

The following morning Gabrielle was awakened by a gentle kiss.

"Good morning," Xena greeted her softly.

"Good morning." Gabrielle searched Xena's eyes for a hint of the wounded woman she observed during the night.

"I'm expecting Jared early. There is no hurry for you to get up."

"Okay."

"Would you like some tea?"

"I'm fine. Go ahead and get ready."

Gabrielle lay in bed; her thoughts lingered on their shared evening. Xena had given her every tenderness. There were no words between them and yet she had never felt Xena closer to her. Xena's ardor had swept Gabrielle's doubt aside. Gabrielle did not understand how Xena could give so much of herself in their bed and then stand apart -- broken.

Gabrielle heard Xena’s and Jared's voices. She donned her robe and stepped out of the bedchamber revealing her presence. Jared paused in speech at the sight of her. Xena followed his gaze, equally surprised to see Gabrielle. Assuming Gabrielle sought a private word, Xena walked over to her.

Gabrielle placed her hands on Xena's arms. "May I return to you tonight?"

Xena nodded. "Yes."

Gabrielle leaned up and kissed Xena tenderly. "Thank you." She stepped back into the bedchamber feeling Xena's gentle eyes upon her.

Xena was well aware of Gabrielle's deliberate declaration to Jared. She returned to the General.

Jared cut to the quick. "What reason did the lass give you?"

"She doesn't feel worthy to be in Court."

"It is they who are not worthy of her."

"Jared, it's not Court."

"Xena…" Jared protested.

"Don't judge Gabrielle harshly. I’d rather you be her friend."

 

 

Jared waited outside the infirmary. He readied himself to carry out what he deemed to be an unpleasant task. Gabrielle stepped outside.

"Good day, lass."

"Hello Jared."

Jared stepped up to her. "Gabrielle, I hope you believe you can trust me."

"I do."

"Then I want to ask you to hear me out. There is something on my mind and I want to say it to you and be done with it."

Gabrielle felt uneasy. She nodded in consent.

"After all this time I think it's only now that I'm beginning to understand you. I don't know how to be anything but a freeman. I was born free and though a man or two has tried, no one was ever been able to take my freedom from me. I've known plenty of slaves. In my opinion those who knew freedom and lost it react in one of two ways. There are the angry slaves who will do whatever they can to keep feeling that they have some control over their pitiful lives. And then there are those who become only a shell of who they once were. They lose all dignity. Women who have been violated have the worst of it."

Gabrielle was uncomfortable with the General's astute observations. "Do you have a point, Jared?"

"Yes, lass, I do. I believe that even if a slave is freed they can never forget what has been done to them. They carry the scar inside them and nothing can take it away. They look down upon themselves instead of the men who enslaved and raped them."

"Jared, please stop." Gabrielle did not have the presence of heart to suppress her silent tears.

"The Conqueror, who has never invited anyone to share her life, has made you the offer. At first you said yes but then the closer we got to Corinth the more impossible the thought was to you. Why, I asked myself, could you be free with her in the countryside and not in the city? I say the answer is because Corinth reminds you that you were once a slave. When you were a slave you felt less than human because you were treated as less than human."

"You're wrong. When I came to Corinth I became a member of Xena's household. She gave me my dignity. She didn't take it away."

"The harm was done to you by others in Corinth before Targon purchased you. Those that harmed you are still in Corinth. There are members in Court who we suspect supplement their wealth by trafficking in slaves. You saw their faces when you served the Conqueror's banquets. They were familiar to you because you first saw them in the slavers' marketplace. You fear that they will recognize you and recall what they did to you. Worse, because you refuse to expose them to the Conqueror, you cannot abide the thought that you will be expected to show them courtesy."

Gabrielle sat down on a nearby bench.

Jared approached and went to one knee before her. "Gabrielle, you know that slavers are prohibited in Court and to expose them is to sign their death warrant. And I know that you will do whatever you must to avoid bloodshed. All I ask is that you confirm their names. I will arrange for the bastards never to set foot in Corinth again. You have my word that they will not be killed."

"How did you find out?"

"Xena told me your reason for denying her. In spite of it, Xena believes that you deny her and only her. She is too close to you to see a truth that would have never otherwise escaped her detection. She has taught me persistence and patience. It took time for me to ask the right questions and bribe the right people, but at the end I learned how and by whom you were brought to Corinth."

 

 

Gabrielle stood in her room looking out the window as dawn broke through the horizon. It had been two moons since their return to Corinth. Xena had welcomed her back into their private routine. She never questioned Gabrielle's decision, yet each time Gabrielle left Xena to return to her room, she felt a wave of sadness overcome her lover. Gabrielle made her decision. She went to seek out Targon.

"Sir, I need to request a favor."

"If I can, Miss."

"I need to learn how to behave in Court."

"Is this the Conqueror's wish?"

"I believe so. Targon, the Conqueror cannot know that you are training me."

"Keeping secrets from the Conqueror is dangerous business, Miss."

Gabrielle needed to reassure the administrator. "If General Jared vouches for me, will you do it?"

"Yes, Miss. That way I will have company at my execution," Targon quipped.

Gabrielle laughed and hugged him. "Thank you!"

She now had two more favors to ask, the first to Jared and the second to Makia.

 

 

With the guests announced, the winter solstice banquet commenced without further fanfare. Xena was dressed in her standard black leather gambeson and pants.

Sitting, she leaned over, looking toward one side. "An empty chair, Jared?"

"I am awaiting the arrival of a beautiful woman, My Liege."

"Really?"

"Yes, she is a lady in every sense of the word."

"And how did you come by this lady?"

"She approached me. To be honest, I have never been more flattered."

"Are you sure she doesn't have an ulterior motive?"

"She was very forthcoming regarding her intentions. I am more than happy to oblige her."

Xena laughed. "You dog!"

Targon entered the banquet hall. He stood waiting by the door. Jared spied him.

"With your permission, My Liege. I believe my evening companion has arrived."

Xena waved her hand. She enjoyed seeing the broad smile on Jared's face. He deserved happiness. She watched as he stepped out of the room.

Targon instructed the guard to announce an arrival. The guard smiled for a moment before recomposing himself. Holding to a serious expression, he stepped forward and twice struck his lance to the floor.

"My Liege. General Jared and Gabrielle of Poteidaia."

The many Guardsmen in the room quickly silenced, followed by the others present. Jared stepped forward escorting Gabrielle on his arm. Gabrielle looked glorious. She wore a white, flowing gown. She stepped carefully, her posture confident as she kept her eyes forward, finding, never leaving Xena.

Xena's heart staggered. She stood up and walked round her table and waited at its center for Jared and Gabrielle to reach her. As they approached, one Guardsman after another stood at attention until every Guardsman granted Gabrielle the honor.

Jared spoke proudly so all could hear. "My Liege, may I present Miss Gabrielle of Poteidaia."

Gabrielle curtsied. "My Lord."

Xena spoke softly. "This is a surprise."

"I hope it pleases you."

"It does. From this day forward you will be known as Lady Gabrielle."

Gabrielle bowed slightly. "I am honored."

Xena touched Gabrielle's cheek. She could have not been given a greater gift. She directed her comment to Jared. "General, may I?"

Jared bowed in acquiescence.

Xena stepped to Gabrielle's side and offered her arm. Gabrielle took it and allowed Xena to guide her to the Conqueror's table. Xena held the chair beside her for Gabrielle. Gabrielle sat down, understanding the meaning of her placement. Xena took to her chair and covered Gabrielle's hand with her own. Jared followed behind the couple, seating himself beside the Conqueror's consort. All the Guardsmen followed suit by returning to their chairs.

Xena remained silent as conversations were renewed about her. Gabrielle looked to Jared for assurance. His smile gave her courage. She turned to Xena.

"My Lord, with your permission, I will move my belongings into your suite."

Xena squeezed Gabrielle's hand. "Permission granted."

At the end of the evening Xena escorted Gabrielle back to their rooms. Their rooms -- the thought was sweet to her. From the moment she saw Gabrielle enter the banquet hall, she felt a rising emotion impossible to name. Upon entering their bedchamber, Xena kissed Gabrielle tenderly.

"I will be back in a little while."

She took the hidden passage to the turret. She stood under the stars. Her heart was full and in want of release. Her tears fell freely. She raised her hands to her face and sobbed. Her body trembled as years of denial, years of suppressed need ended. She surrendered to her most fragile emotion: love.

Gabrielle changed from her gown to the sleep shirt and robe kept in Xena's bedchamber for her night visits. On this day her life had changed. She suspected more than she could imagine. She had claimed Xena and Xena had publicly acknowledged the claim with grace and generosity. Xena had fallen quiet for most of the evening. Jared had been the gentleman entertaining Gabrielle with stories that introduced her for the first time to the biographies of many members of the Court.

 

Gabrielle crossed the turret's threshold. Xena leaned silently against a ledge, her back to Gabrielle.

"Xena."

Xena wiped any remaining hint of her tears from her face. She turned to Gabrielle, finding in Gabrielle's presence evidence that the evening had indeed not been a dream.

"I was worried about you."

"Thank you for tonight."

"I'm sorry it took me so long to come to you."

"Everything in its own time."

"Can a Lady of the realm still be a healer to the Conqueror's army?"

"She can be whatever she wants to be."

"There will be changes in my life, won't there?"

"There is no life without changes."

"At the same time some things will never change."

Xena was uncertain of Gabrielle's reference. She sensed a hint of melancholy behind the statement. "I believe I will always find you beautiful."

"Thank you." Gabrielle reached out her hand. "Will you come to bed?"

Xena stepped forward. "Yes, My Lady."

 

It was late afternoon when Gabrielle exited the infirmary and walked toward the palace.

"Gabrielle, or should I say Lady Gabrielle?" the handsome young soldier called out.

Gabrielle was pleasantly surprised. "Inis!" She offered him her hand. "I will always be Gabrielle to you. How are you?"

"Good, and you?"

"I'm well, thank you. Are you here with General Paulos?"

"I see you keep abreast of the Conqueror's business."

"She includes me as much as she feels is prudent."

Inis was at his most charming. "You look as beautiful as ever. Are you enjoying hosting the conference?"

"Actually, I do my best to avoid the more formal functions in the palace."

"I'm surprised the Conqueror tolerates your absence."

Gabrielle was defensive. "Inis, I am a freewoman."

"And I am a freeman, but I would think twice before going against the Conqueror's wishes."

"If we were at war I would follow the Conqueror's orders without question because I have sworn my allegiance to her and am in that regard no different than you are as a member of her army. But, the rest of my life is mine. I choose to be with her."

"I wondered what she said or did to you that you left me." Inis' tone attempted to mitigate the incendiary words.

"She did nothing." Gabrielle defended her lover. "As I told you, as much as I regretted it, I did not love you."

"You loved her even then?"

"Yes."

"It is impossible to compete with the Sovereign in all but one respect."

"And what is that?"

"She will never give you a child."

"That is true." Knowing her truth, Gabrielle gave the rising tension release. "The Fates have been kind to me. I am complete as I am."

"You are a rare woman, Gabrielle." Inis offered her a smile.

"I will take that as a compliment."

"As it was intended." Inis shifted his weight from right to left; unconsciously his hand went to his dagger. "I was sorry to hear about the distasteful treatment you experienced at the hands of Osric and one of his soldiers."

"It was unfortunate."

"Those who know the Conqueror were surprised Osric was allowed to live. But then it really didn't matter."

"What do you mean?"

"He had an accident and died soon after returning to the Fourth Army."

"What kind of accident?"

"A knife slit his throat. No one took responsibility for the noble deed."

"There is nothing noble about murder." Gabrielle’s anger surged.

"It was an act of honor the Conqueror didn't see fit to exercise herself."

"She didn't harm Osric because I asked her not to."

"I am impressed. Few are known to influence the Conqueror's life and death decisions."

"I'm learning to understand why she makes the decisions she makes."

"Do you find that you agree with her?"

"Not always."

"And still you can love her?"

"Yes."

"Then I am happy for you."

"Thank you."

"You have proven the people of Greece wrong, including myself. I would have staked my life that the Conqueror was incapable of pledging her love to anyone."

The innocuous words hit their mark. Gabrielle stilled. Inis caught the change.

"She does love you?" He queried.

Gabrielle stumbled with her words. "She…"

"What a lark!" Inis laughed. "You turn me away because you have no love for me and then choose to be with someone who has no love for you."

"Inis…"

"Don't bother trying to explain." Inis settled his tenor. "I would be with you now even without your love if you allowed it. Who am I to judge you? I probably understand you better than anyone in Corinth."

"You may be right," Gabrielle granted.

Inis smiled and folded his arms across his chest. "I've missed you. We could always talk to one another. I could tell you things that were not necessarily best shared with my fellow soldiers."

"I remember."

"Gabrielle, may I see you again? We are scheduled to remain in Corinth through the end of the conference. Then we will return to the south."

"The Conqueror would not be comfortable with my seeing you."

"You have already proven that I am no rival to her. What harm is there in spending time with a friend? I hope we can be friends."

"Are you free at mid-day meal?"

"I can arrange it."

"Join me outside the infirmary tomorrow."

"That is a fine plan. Until tomorrow." He gave her a minor bow and walked on to the barracks, well pleased with his performance.

 

Each of the following four days, Inis and Gabrielle shared their mid-day meal outside the infirmary. Gabrielle felt comfortable with the public nature of their conversations. She hid nothing.

Inis took a bite out of a roasted chicken leg. "General Paulos has given me a free day tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions of what I might do?"

"In the city?"

"No. I've had enough of Corinth." Inis laughed lightly. "Can't take the farm boy out of me. Is there somewhere I could ride?"

"There is a small river less than a half-candlemark away from the city gates. It is a peaceful place."

"I think I will like it."

"I know you will."

He turned enthusiastically to Gabrielle. "Come with me!"

"I don't know."

"For mid-day meal. I promise I'll have you back in two or three candlemarks."

Gabrielle thought through Xena's schedule for the following day. "The Conqueror has been busy with the conference. It should be all right."

"Good. Should I meet you here?"

"No. Let’s meet at the palace gates."

 

 

Gabrielle dined alone in their suite. She waited on the balcony for Xena's return from another of the many State dinners scheduled during the conference. She would be happy to see the fortnight of meetings come to an end.

Gabrielle heard Xena enter the suite. She reentered the meeting chamber.

Xena offered Gabrielle a broad smile. "I've been looking forward to seeing you all day."

"How are the meetings going?"

"So well that I have a proposition for you."

"And what might that be?"

"Why don't you rule Greece tomorrow and I'll work the infirmary?"

Gabrielle laughed. "I don't think so."

Xena took Gabrielle into her arms and kissed her. "I'm sorry we've had so little time together. I promise I'll make it up to you after I send my fine dignitaries home where they belong."

"Don't worry about me. I have plenty to keep me occupied."

Xena's smile broadened.

"Why that smile?"

"I've won a wager with Jared today."

"And what did you wager?"

"Jared said you would insist on attending the conference by its mid-point just so you could spend time with me."

"And what did you say?"

"I said you would avoid the conference like the plague."

"Poor Jared, you take advantage of him."

"Hardly. Is it my fault he equates quantity of time shared with quality?"

"And of course you haven't told him that you brief me on the negotiations every evening."

"Jared is well aware that you keep informed on government affairs. To be honest I was surprised that he made the wager. He has been constant in his support of your decision to attend Court sparingly. Why he thought the conference different is beyond my logic."

"A miscalculation on his part."

"Unless your guardian uncle knows something I don't."

"Like what?"

"Only you could tell me." Xena stepped away with an exaggerated sigh. "Oh Gabrielle, there must be more to life than spending candlemark after candlemark as witness to the deplorable posturing of a bunch of Nobles and vassal leaders."

"It's only for another seven days."

"Easy for you to say." Xena collapsed in her chair. "Damn the Gods, I am ruler of the realm. There is nothing to say that I cannot exercise my prerogative and steal myself away for a couple of candlemarks tomorrow to be with you."

Gabrielle went to Xena and took her place on her lap. "No. Stay and rule Greece with your steady hand. I'm afraid that chaos will breakout if you don't oversee their bickering. In a few more days I will have you back all to myself."

"I have another proposition for you."

"I hope it's better than your last one."

"I believe you will welcome it."

"I'm listening."

"I will be wanting some fresh air after this is all done with. What say you to a trip to Amphipolis? I'd like to visit my mother and I am certain she would be happy to see you again."

"I accept."

"I now have all the motivation I need to make sure the trade agreements are reached with expediency."

"Without knocking heads?"

"You take all the fun out of my day!"

"I make up for it by offering you all the fun you can handle at the end of it."

Xena relished Gabrielle's blossoming. It had taken time, but the promise of happiness had come to fruition for the younger woman and Xena knew no greater joy than having Gabrielle at ease with her and the world at large.

"I've always said you strike a fair bargain."

 

 

Xena entered the stables. It had been a trying morning. She yearned for Argo's more tamed company. Though she did not have time for a ride, she did have time to give the mare a rigorous brushing, attention she knew Argo would welcome and that would give her own nerves solace.

She noticed the absence of Gabrielle's gelding. She called out to the young groom. "Yuri, has Lady Gabrielle gone for a ride?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. She left 'bout a half-candlemark ago."

"Did she say where she was going?"

"No, Your Majesty. Only that I shouldn't expect her 'til mid-afternoon."

"Did she have an escort?"

"None that I saw, Your Majesty."

Xena walked to the palace gates in a brisk stride. She directed her question to the senior of the two Guardsmen. "Xanthus, has Lady Gabrielle passed this way?"

"Yes, My Liege."

"Was Trevor with her?"

"No, My Liege. She was escorted by a soldier from the Fourth Army."

"Not a Royal Guardsman?"

"No, My Liege. Of that I'm certain."

"Did she tell you where she was going?"

"To the eastern track of the forest where the river cut through."

"Very well. Thank you."

Xena walked back to the palace. Gabrielle had made no mention of taking a respite. She was pleased Gabrielle kept her promise to always report her whereabouts. Still, Xena was curious why Trevor had not escorted Gabrielle. Since their return to Corinth he had the primary responsibility for Gabrielle's security. Xena left orders at the barracks for Trevor to report to her.

Notified that Trevor waited for her outside of the meeting hall, Xena excused herself.

She stepped past Trevor and continued to walk down the corridor. "Come with me."

Trevor followed the Conqueror until they reached a secluded alcove.

Xena measured the Guardsman. "Trevor, can you tell me why you didn't escort Lady Gabrielle when she left the city today?"

Trevor had no reason to fear the Conqueror. "It was by her request, My Liege. She said she would be in safe company with her friend from the Fourth Army."

"How do you know you can trust this soldier?"

"He arrived with General Paulos. I observed him visiting with Lady Gabrielle daily at the infirmary. I took it upon myself to speak with the General. He assured me the soldier was an honorable man."

"I don't recall Lady Gabrielle mentioning a friend stationed in the south."

"I believe they met when she was living at the eastern garrison."

"What is his name?"

"Inis, My Liege."

"I know the name." Xena offered Trevor a forced smile. "Say nothing of my questions to Lady Gabrielle. She thinks I worry too much about her as it is."

Trevor responded easily. "Yes, My Liege."

 

 

Xena confirmed Gabrielle had return safely late that afternoon. She left the palace riding Argo to the very same location Gabrielle had described. She did not know why she was compelled to visit the site. It was akin to inspecting the scene of a crime.

As hard as she tried to counter her darkest thoughts, on this day those thoughts had dominion over her. Xena wanted to believe Inis was no threat to her. She told herself that Gabrielle had chosen her over the soldier. She tried to mine the necessary assurance by concentrating on the strength and depth of their ever-growing connection. She struggled to believe that their connection was authentic and not a mere illusion.

If only Gabrielle had mentioned that Inis was in Corinth. If only Gabrielle had described how she had been sharing her mid-day meals with him. After making a few inquiries Xena learned that Inis' attentiveness to Gabrielle was common knowledge. Gabrielle had sat with Inis by her side under the watchful sight of the garrison. Xena knew that if she had not been preoccupied with the conference she would too have held the same knowledge.

Gabrielle's actions were so open no one thought twice of it. There had been no fuel for gossip. Just as her relationship with the Conqueror, Gabrielle's friendships with the Royal Guardsmen and soldiers were a part of her identity. Both shaped how others thought of her. Many found the latter easier to understand than the former.

Xena sat at the riverside as the sun touched the horizon. Soon she would return to Corinth. Soon she would face the woman she had given her promise to. What struck Xena as the sun disappeared, surrendering the world to the night, was the fact that Gabrielle had never returned the promise. Xena always took it for granted that she had Gabrielle's pledge. She never thought to ask Gabrielle for an oath of fidelity. She never thought to ask Gabrielle whether her commitment went beyond the present day and carried forward through their lifetimes. The only thing she ever asked Gabrielle for was the truth. Xena's heart quavered. Gabrielle could be with Inis and not stand accused of any betrayal. There could be no betrayal without there first being a promise.

Suspicions continued to torment Xena. She could not discount that she had offered Gabrielle a respite but had been discouraged. Xena recalled the hunting trip she had taken to prove to herself that Gabrielle could be trusted. At that day's conclusion she was able to move on. She had taken the necessary steps to prove her worst fears wrong. Xena decided that though a better person would be able to rise above her jealously she was not that better person and needed to do what had to be done to allay her doubts.

 

While she waited for Xena, Gabrielle sat near the dormant fireplace studying a new scroll from the medical library. Xena had left her a note expressing regret that, contrary to their plans, they would not dine together. She assumed Xena was mediating a dispute.

Xena entered their bedchamber.

Gabrielle looked over to her lover. "Hi. You look tired." She placed the scroll aside.

Xena sat across from Gabrielle. "It was a long day."

"Did you take care of the problem?"

"I'm still working on it."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I’d rather hear about your day."

Gabrielle pointed at the scroll. "Five of the medicinal scrolls from Chin have been translated. I've been reading about the herbs they use to treat fevers. Do you think Lao Ma would object to adding the herbs to our trade list?"

"Shouldn't be a problem. Don't tell me you spent a beautiful day like today in the library."

"Just after mid-day meal. I spent part of the morning down in the kitchens with Makia and then I lent a hand in the infirmary."

"Sounds like a full day."

"It was."

"You shouldn't push yourself so hard."

"I don't think catching up on palace gossip with Makia while helping cut vegetables hard work."

"Nonetheless…" Xena's voice drifted. Gabrielle's omission had given Xena the answer she feared. She got to her feet, unable to harness her rising agitation.

Gabrielle's gaze followed Xena to the balcony. "What's wrong?"

Xena shook her head.

Gabrielle was now truly worried. She approached Xena and placed her hand on the small of the warrior's back. "Tell me."

Xena kept her eyes forward, returning to the night she had only just quit. "There is nothing I can say to you."

Gabrielle could feel Xena tremble. She walked around and stood before Xena silently demanding to be recognized. Xena exuded a familiar aura. Gabrielle knew Xena's battle lust. She believed she understood Xena's rare but profound need to find release in intense physical intimacy. Gabrielle had the choice to give herself to Xena or to withhold consent. In her deepest core Gabrielle knew she faced such a decision on this night. She had never refused Xena. She had been able to make peace with what was Xena's remarkable pendulum swing from tenderness to near fearful dominance. The effect Xena had upon her on this night was in many ways the same as when Xena was in the midst of her battle lust, but there was a difference. There was an unmistakable sensation of danger she had never felt before in Xena's presence.

"Xena, you're trembling."

Xena closed her eyes and bowed her head trying to regather her focus, to hold back the violence that threatened to consume her. Her violence had a place in battle; it had no place between her and Gabrielle.

She felt Gabrielle's lips against her own. The kiss overwhelmed her will. She swept Gabrielle up into her arms and carried her to bed. Xena felt the bough break within her. It was not passion that found release; it was her rage. It surged to the surface, sweeping away her capacity for tenderness and compassion. Beneath her lay Gabrielle. In the moment, she would own the woman.

Xena's rough handling sent a shock wave through Gabrielle. She placed her hands against Xena's chest trying to ease the feeling of suffocation.

"Xena!" Gabrielle cried out in growing alarm.

"You're mine, Gabrielle," Xena growled.

"Xena, please…" Gabrielle begged.

Xena took Gabrielle's hands with her own, pinning the smaller woman down. She claimed Gabrielle's mouth harshly, biting down on her lip, drawing blood. Gabrielle turned her head seeking relief.

"Xena… Don't do this. You swore you would never…"

Xena froze. She recognized fear in Gabrielle's eyes and in her voice. Fear she had caused. Fear she had wanted to cause. Disgusted by her own actions, she release Gabrielle and lifted herself off the bed. She left their rooms blindly, taking the back corridor. She found herself at the turret. She stepped outside and walked to the ledge. In her despair the thought of flinging herself over was tempting. She heard footsteps. She gripped the ledge with her hands. Her gaze held to the horizon.

Gabrielle quickly overcame her initial panic. A greater fear, one for Xena, caused her to follow Xena up to the turret. She paused at the threshold. She gently called Xena's name.

Xena answered with genuine remorse. "I'm sorry I hurt you."

Gabrielle took a step forward. "Even after a battle you've never been like this. What's happened to you?"

"I can't explain."

It was not like Xena to deny Gabrielle an explanation. "There won't be any violence in our bed. I won't give you that."

"I know."

Gabrielle struggled to surmount her fear. She had always harbored the apprehension that, no matter what Xena had promised, there would be consequences to her refusal. "Will you seek your release with someone else?"

Xena spoke without thought. "I don't know."

This was the moment that Gabrielle had dreaded. She had a second choice to make. As hard as it was for her, she was willing to pay the price to keep Xena in her life. "Do what you must. I only ask that you be discreet."

Gabrielle's own words fell bitterly across Xena's tongue. "I will be as discreet as you have been."

"What do you mean?"

Xena turned around. As accuser she would face the accused. "Inis."

Gabrielle paused upon hearing Xena's charge. Everything that had transpired in the previous half-candlemark was placed in a painfully stark context. "Xena, I can explain."

"Can you? Can you explain why you didn't tell me that he came to Corinth with General Paulos? Or why you have been meeting with him regularly. Or why today you rode off together for the better part of the day?"

"Inis is only going to be in Corinth for a short time. I knew that you never wanted to know about him so I thought it better to keep the time we were spending together from you."

"Does he still love you?"

"I want to be his friend."

"You didn't answer my question. Does he love you?"

"Yes."

"How did it feel when he made love to you?"

Gabrielle recalled Inis' renewed confession of love. The ensuing conversation had taken far longer than she anticipated, delaying her return from the river. She had little success appeasing the young soldier. The argument painfully opened her own wound, one that she had carefully tended. "Only with words, Xena. I won't lie to you and pretend that a part of me didn't feel good to be told that I am loved."

Xena now felt accused. She had no words for Gabrielle.

Gabrielle needed to know the true bounds imposed upon her life with the Conqueror. "Am I forbidden to see Inis?"

"You are a freewoman."

Gabrielle's brief anger was appeased. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

"Nor I you, but it is done." Finding it difficult to be the subject of Gabrielle's gaze, Xena turned away.

Gabrielle waited until she was able to calm her conflicting emotions. "Come back with me."

Xena’s voice fractured. "You go ahead. I'll follow in a little while."

Gabrielle cautiously approached Xena, placing her hand once again upon the small of her back. Xena straightened stiffly in reaction to Gabrielle's touch.

"I'm afraid if I leave here without you that I'll lose you forever. I won't take that risk."

Xena's body bore forward. "I hurt. I haven't hurt this much since Lyceus died."

Gabrielle rested her body against Xena's, wrapping her arms gently around her lover's waist. "I'm sorry."

Xena could not withstand the impact of Gabrielle's tenderness. Pain, deeply held, rose from her heart, provoking tears. She began to cry. Her emotions consumed her. She had no power to rein their force. Her body convulsed in a great sob. She gasped as her breath escaped her. There seemed to be no end to her release. Gabrielle tightened her hold. She knew she might never be gifted with words of love, but on this night she was given Xena's tears and that was enough.

 

Gabrielle cradled her sleeping lover in her arms as they both lay on the floor of the turret. Unlike when Xena was injured, Gabrielle had not been sent away. Instead she was held to. Gabrielle had never known Xena to allow such vulnerability. She had never felt more needed.

Xena woke.

"Hey." Gabrielle smoothed Xena's hair.

Xena gathered her thoughts, recalling the events of the previous evening. She felt terribly exposed. She looked up to the sky to measure the time of day. "Targon will be expecting me soon." She rose, breaking Gabrielle's embrace.

Gabrielle released her freely, following Xena with her eyes as the latter stood up. "Xena."

Xena paused.

"I will be seeing Inis one more time. Only to say good-bye."

"Thank you."

Xena reached out and offered Gabrielle her hand. Gabrielle took it, allowing Xena to help her to her feet. For a moment, looking down at their joined hands, Xena debated whether to disengage herself. No matter how great her discomfort, she could not reject Gabrielle completely. Their held hands offered a modicum of hope that they would find their way back to each other. Xena led Gabrielle down the turret stairs to their suite. Gabrielle remained silent, grateful that she had not been abandoned.

 

 

At mid-day Xena left the palace meeting hall and walked to the infirmary. She did not see Gabrielle. Dalius came to her.

"Your Majesty, how may I help you?"

"Is Lady Gabrielle here?"

"No, Your Majesty. I received a message this morning not to expect her."

Xena stepped outside. She felt she was being observed. She looked toward the far right. Across the courtyard stood a soldier. He was wearing the Fourth Army insignia. He defiantly held the Conqueror's gaze. Xena had two questions answered. She now knew what Inis looked like and she knew that Gabrielle was not with him.

Xena entered the mess tent. All the men stood at attention.

"As you were."

Her eyes scanned the room until she saw Trevor. He caught her eye. She nodded. He stood up and went to her.

"My Liege?"

"Where is Lady Gabrielle?"

"My last report was that Lady Gabrielle remains in your suite."

"When was that?"

"Less than a candlemark ago, My Liege."

 

Xena ran down the palace halls toward their suite. She slowed only when she reached the entrance, walking briskly passed the guard. From her meeting chamber she entered their bedchamber. Gabrielle sat by the fireplace. Xena went to her, pausing a few paces away waiting to be recognized. Gabrielle slowly shifted her gaze to the warrior. Xena's heart ached. Gabrielle seemed a world away from her.

Xena confessed. "I was worried when I learned you hadn't left our rooms."

Gabrielle spoke fearfully. "Do I still have a place in your life?"

Xena dropped to her knee in front of Gabrielle. "Yes!" The pendulum swung back to Xena's incomparable tenderness. She took Gabrielle's hand with her own. "We both made mistakes. I hope you agree that they were not so great that we cannot move beyond them, together."

"I…" Gabrielle held back her words of love. She felt a desperate need to say them, but dared not speak, holding to her conviction never to tempt a recurrence of Xena's rejection. She leaned forward and fell into Xena's embrace.

"I've got you." Xena held her lover closely. She had the answer to her final question. She had Gabrielle's forgiveness.

 

 

Xena and Jared led their horses through the forest.

"I'm not surprised to hear it was the lass' idea that you go on a hunt."

"She felt that in the long run it would be better for the realm than my killing one or two of the Nobles."

Jared laughed. "She does you good."

Xena felt comfortable enough to ask a question she had held unspoken for days. "Jared, did you know Inis was in the palace?"

"Yes, I did."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You were clear that the less of Inis you knew about the better for all. The lass did you no wrong. If I felt she had compromised your honor I would have spoken to you. Under the circumstances I thought the business of Inis was best left for the two of you to resolve without interference."

"It's been difficult..." Xena turned to Jared, "…for both of us."

"The lass seemed in good spirits this morning."

Xena smiled, remembering the gentle kiss Gabrielle sent her off with. "The last two days have helped."

"I noticed she has not left the palace."

"By her choice. I expect she will speak to Inis today." Xena noted how Jared's brow knitted. She added, "For the last time. I don't think she's looking forward to it. I wish I could help her, but she won't talk to me about what's between them."

"Do you really expect her to?"

"No. Gabrielle has always been very private. She'll tell a story about anyone but herself."

"Her past isn't without difficult memories."

"So she chooses to remember nothing."

Jared decided to ease the mood. "What kind of girl do you think she was?"

Xena smiled anew. "Can you imagine her as a tyke, with her long blond hair and bright green eyes?"

"I say she was a spitfire."

"Really?"

"The way she lights up when I spar with her, I think so!"

"She's always serious when we spar."

"Who isn't when they spar with you?"

"I'm not the Conqueror to Gabrielle. Not anymore."

"You're right. You are more to her than the Conqueror."

They continued to walk.

"Gabrielle and I are going to Amphipolis after the conference."

Jared quipped. "Taking her home to mother?"

Xena countered. "Mother has met her."

"Under different circumstances." Jared volleyed back.

"Yes, unfortunately." Xena paused. "Mother knew."

Jared looked over to his companion. "What did Cyrene know?"

"That I… that I would do better if I had Gabrielle in my life."

"I always said Cyrene was a smart woman. Like mother, like daughter. I must say there was a time that I wondered what happened that the fruit fell so far from the tree, but then you came 'round and brought Gabrielle back to Corinth with you and my faith was restored."

"Jared, do you think you might be taking one liberty too much?"

"Just keeping my promise to the lass to make sure you don't take yourself too seriously today."

Xena grinned and shook her head. "An alliance between the two of you frightens me."

Jared laughed. "Just wait until we arrive in Amphipolis. The lass, Cyrene and me. We can think up a grand conspiracy against you."

"Who said you're coming?"

"You won't invite me?"

"It would be an act of self-defense on my part to leave you behind."

Xena stilled. She felt a wave of fear, not her own. Jared recognized the change in Xena and held his tongue.

Xena instructed. "Jared, look around. Do you sense anything?"

Jared concentrated on their surroundings. "No, Xena, I don't."

Xena turned to Argo. She spoke softly to the mare. "Hey girl, what say you?" Xena had learned to trust Argo's senses. Argo was at ease. "I don't know, Jared. I must be imagining things."

"It's not like you."

Xena closed her eyes. The sensation of fear was enhanced in the stillness. "Something's wrong. Something, somewhere is wrong."

"Corinth?" Jared speculated.

Xena went to Argo's side and readied to mount. "I hate cutting our day short, but we're going back."

Jared mirrored Xena's actions. "I'm with you."

 

 

Trevor caught the unexpected but welcomed sight of the Conqueror and the General. He ran from the infirmary and met them in the courtyard. He called out. "It's Lady Gabrielle. She is in the infirmary."

Xena dismounted. "What happened?"

"She's been hurt. She has a head wound and remains unconscious."

Xena ran to the infirmary. Upon entering, she immediately noted the double screen that had been raised. Xena stepped behind the screen to find Gabrielle lying in bed, her face bruised, a cut across her lips. Xena fell to her knees beside the bed. Her hand hovered over Gabrielle; afraid that to touch her would be to hurt her.

"Who would do this?"

Dalius stood nearby. "We suspect Inis. He left with Lady Gabrielle to the river. When they did not return as scheduled, Trevor rode out with a search party. The Guardsmen found Lady Gabrielle, but no Inis."

"Was she violated?"

Dalius' heart broke for his young assistant. "It is possible."

Xena looked up at him. "You're not sure?"

"Much of her body was submerged in the river. Evidence of what might have been done to her could have washed away."

"Her clothes. Were they disturbed?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Xena felt Jared’s presence behind her.

"Jared."

"Here, My Liege."

"I won't leave her. Find Inis. If he harmed Gabrielle, let her brothers do with him what they like. If there is anything left when they are done, throw him in the dungeon and I'll finish the job."

 

 

It was near midnight when Jared stepped out of the barracks and walked to a water trough. He washed his bloodied hands before making his way to the infirmary. Jared entered Gabrielle’s private space. Xena remained kneeling by her side.

"Any change?"

"No. Have you news?"

"Inis is dead."

Xena looked up to Jared. "You left nothing of him for me?"

"His blood will not be on your hands."

"I'm not sure it will matter to Gabrielle. Did he say anything before he died?"

"He confessed he hit the lass out of anger. He said he ran away in fear. He swore he harmed her no further."

"Do you believe him?"

"I do not know what to believe. I only know what I want to believe."

Xena's gaze returned to Gabrielle. "Then pray that the Gods had mercy on her."

 

 

Dalius advised not moving Gabrielle until she regained consciousness. Xena sat on the infirmary floor, her back to the wall beside Gabrielle's cot. She tried to make sense of what had happened. Inis had sworn his love to Gabrielle. He had been an honorable soldier. Why men destroy what they claim to love was beyond her comprehension and yet she knew the feeling well. Her feelings of being betrayed had brought out the worst in her. They drove her to act against reason. A consequence of her darkest emotions was a yearning to raze what she held closest to her heart, what the best of her valued.

She hated Inis for what he had done to Gabrielle. She hated him for reminding her that she was not unlike him. The difference was that upon hearing Gabrielle's cry to stop hurting her, she did. Xena wished she could say that removing herself from Gabrielle had been an act of reason, that reason remained her master in the whirlwind of emotion. But, it was not. Reason had abandoned her. It was only her tender feelings for Gabrielle that stopped the unforgivable from happening.

Xena's gaze held Gabrielle's still body. She wondered how much more Gabrielle could endure. There had to be a limit to Gabrielle's ability to trust, to forgive, to love.

Xena saw Gabrielle's eyes flutter. She moved to the bedside and took her hand. A low moan escaped from Gabrielle's throat. Xena waited for the injured woman to complete the fragile journey back to their shared world.

Gabrielle heard Xena whisper her name. She wanted to see her lover more than avoid the ache in her head. She opened her eyes. Slowly, the image of Xena's concerned countenance came into focus.

"Xena."

"I'm here. You’re safe."

Gabrielle's memory returned, with it came a start of panic. "Inis."

Xena placed a calming hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. "Don't worry."

Gabrielle protested. "It was Inis."

"I know." Xena soothed. "Why did he hurt you?"

The truth was simple. "I could not love him."

"What happened?"

"Inis became angry when I refused him. He hit me. Xena, I tried to fight him …"

"I know you did."

"I hit my head. I don't know what happened after..."

Xena saw a shadow overtake Gabrielle's mien. She assumed Gabrielle's fear. "He said he didn't take you."

"I don't know," Gabrielle said more to herself than to Xena.

"You're going to be all right."

"I shouldn't have gone with him. I thought it would be easier for us to talk if we were away from the palace. Forgive me."

Xena was adamant. "You did nothing wrong."

"Where is Inis?"

"He did not survive your brothers’ justice."

Gabrielle turned her head away.

"You are still a member of the Royal Guard. They love you and will never allow anyone to hurt you and survive. It is a matter of honor."

Gabrielle returned her gaze to Xena. "Must death always follow a breach of honor?"

Xena was unwavering. "There is no life without honor."

 

 

Gabrielle was moved to the Conqueror's suite soon after she regained consciousness. Her concussion did not prove as severe as Dalius originally feared. Within two days after her injury Gabrielle was able to walk about the palace for short durations before fatigue forced her back to bed.

Xena had impatiently waited for this moment. The conference had concluded and she had just sent off the last of the visiting leaders. Xena entered their bedchamber. Gabrielle lay asleep. Xena removed her boots, sword and chakram and slipped into bed. Needing to feel Gabrielle close to her, she laid her body against the younger woman.

Gabrielle stirred. "Xena?"

Xena whispered. "Go back to sleep."

"Are they gone?"

"All gone. Targon and Jared have orders not to disturb us."

"For how long?"

"Until I say otherwise."

Gabrielle turned on her back to better see her lover. "You're all mine?"

Xena smiled as she lifted a wisp of hair from Gabrielle's brow. "All yours."

"What shall I do with you?"

"What will give you pleasure?"

"Is it still raining?"

"Yes." Xena looked over to the window. "I say it will rain through the morning."

"Then we shall stay indoors."

"A good choice."

"And if I say we will stay in bed until mid-day meal?"

"I will be happy to keep you company."

"How shall you keep me company?" Gabrielle mused with a wry smile.

Xena leaned down and kissed Gabrielle tenderly. "I will keep you company in whatever way is to your liking."

Gabrielle reached up and cupped Xena's cheek. "Xena."

Xena leaned into Gabrielle's hand. "Yes, Gabrielle."

"Will you hold me?"

Xena took Gabrielle's hand and guided her. "Come to me."

Xena shifted to rest on her back. Gabrielle allowed herself to be led to lie upon Xena's shoulder. They lay quietly for a time.

Xena breached the silence. "You had a bad dream last night."

Gabrielle said nothing.

Xena assured. "You can tell me."

Gabrielle spoke quietly. "Inis."

"I’m sorry I wasn't at the river to stop him."

"You trusted me and respected my wishes."

"I would prefer that the choice wasn't between my trust and your well being."

"I made another mistake we need to move beyond."

"It is already in the past."

"Thank you." Gabrielle raised herself.

Xena lifted her hand and combed her fingers through Gabrielle's hair. "I have marveled at your capacity to forgive. You are a far better person than I could ever hope to be."

"I have seen you forgive others."

"Only the inconsequential."

"I hurt you."

"You spoke the truth. What I do not tolerate are those who have harmed my honor or my body."

"Are those your limits?"

"Yes. Gabrielle, you may petition for my leniency, but remember, once the line has been crossed there will be nothing for us to discuss."

"I know. I remember Talas."

"He betrayed Greece."

"He was young and made a mistake."

"We must all live with the consequences of our mistakes. I will be the first to admit that the Fates are not kind to the young."

"But Xena, what of the mistakes you made on your road to Corinth? If everyone felt the way you do, you would not be ruler of Greece."

"If everyone felt the way you do Gabrielle, I would be loved. Instead I am considered the lesser of the many evils vying for the crown."

"Don't you agree that a world with more forgiveness would be a better world?"

"Yes, but that does not change my outlook. I fear I am destined to disappoint you time and time again."

"We don't agree."

"I will not pretend otherwise."

"Then I shall pray that I never tarnish your honor or injure your body. Either will cost me my life."

Xena was stunned by Gabrielle's observation. She protested. "Gabrielle..."

"I only echo your words."

"Why say this to me?"

"Because, as much as you state that we are equals, you are still the ruler of Greece and I am still your subject."

"What would you have me do?"

"Before you stand in judgment of another, remember how it felt to be a peasant girl growing up in Amphipolis."

"And what will that remembrance grant me?"

"Compassion."

"You see no compassion in me?"

"I do. I only wish you would grant your compassion as generously to others as you have to me."

 

 

Gabrielle sat at the larger of the kitchen tables sipping a mug of tea as Makia stood by the fire spicing a lamb skewered on a spit.

"Gabrielle, how long are you going to sit there chewing your lip?"

"I'm just thinking."

"For the last two mornings you've come to my kitchen holding in whatever it is that's troubling you. There is only so much an old woman can stand."

"Makia, I'm afraid."

The cook wiped her hands on her apron and sat across from Gabrielle. "Of what, girl?"

Gabrielle lost her courage.

Makia tried leading the conversation. "Has this to do with the Conqueror?"

Gabrielle bowed her head as a tear fell down her cheek.

Makia's fear for Gabrielle surfaced. "Has she hurt you?"

"No!" Gabrielle protested. "She's been wonderful."

The older woman composed herself. "Good. I would hope she would be. You've had a hard time of it as it is. Has this to do with that soldier?"

Gabrielle nodded.

"He can't hurt you anymore."

"He may have destroyed my life."

"How so, Gabrielle?"

Gabrielle was dispassionate. She spoke as if she was telling a story that was not her own.

"Inis became angry when I told him I wouldn't see him again. He cursed the Conqueror. He said that being with her would cause me to die a slow death. He said he loved me and if I consented to be with him again he would break the spell the Conqueror had placed over me. When I refused him he hit me across the face. The force of his strike drove me into the river. He followed me into the water and grabbed me. The water was knee high and it was hard to move through it. That's when he ripped my dress. He held me by the back of the head and kissed me hard. I fought him off. I tried to back away from him, moving closer to shore. He marched straight toward me and hit me again. I fell completely into the water. He came and stood over me. I begged him to stop. He raised me up by the front of my dress and then pushed me down again. That's when my head hit a river rock and I was knocked unconscious. The last thing I remember was Inis yelling that he would have me."

Makia reached out and took Gabrielle's hand. "I'm so sorry."

"I believe he raped me."

"What makes you think so?"

"I believe I am with child."

"A child…" Makia looked down as her mind tried to make sense of the news. "Your cycle is late?"

"Yes."

"The Conqueror doesn't know?"

"How can I tell her?"

"You must tell her."

"This is all my fault. I shouldn't have agreed to go to the river with Inis. I was a fool to trust him."

"You cannot blame yourself for what he did to you."

"I need to leave Corinth."

"For what purpose?"

"To have my child. To raise my child."

"Gabrielle, you have studied with a midwife. There are ways to end your pregnancy. The Conqueror does not have to know."

"No! I will not kill my baby."

"Then tell the Conqueror the truth."

"She will despise me."

"You are wrong. Give her a chance to prove you wrong."

"I need to find a reason to leave the city. I'll disappear."

"The Conqueror will turn Greece inside out looking for you."

"Then I will leave Greece."

"Do you really think she will stop at Greece? You can't do this. Have you no eyes to see how much she cares for you. You do not have to have this child alone."

"You don't understand. She doesn't…" Gabrielle stopped. She could not complete her confession.

Makia was at a loss. "She doesn't what, Gabrielle?"

Gabrielle stood up. "I shouldn't have told you."

"I beg you to wait. Don't rush into a decision you will regret for the rest of your life. At least wait until you are sure of the baby."

"I will wait a fortnight. By then I will be sure."

 

 

Rugs and pillows were scattered by the fireplace in the Conqueror's bedchamber. The lovers sat opposite one another. They had shared a quiet dinner and easy conversation. Xena’s eyes rested gently upon Gabrielle. Gabrielle felt the warmth of Xena’s regard. She longed to know what thoughts lingered in her lover’s mind.

"Will you tell me?"

"I love you."

The words came simply, easily. Xena spoke them as if to declare her love was familiar, not foreign, as if she had done so many time times in the past, when in fact this was the first.

Gabrielle heard the words. They resonated within her heart and for a moment stilled the beat.

Xena reached out and took Gabrielle's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Gabrielle of Poteidaia, will you be my Queen?"

That Xena chose to speak of love, of joining, as Gabrielle waited to confirm whether she was with child was a cruel play by the Fates. She could not accept Xena’s offer. The shame she carried within her would not allow it.

Gabrielle slipped her hand from Xena's. "I regret, My Lord, that I cannot accept your offer."

"My Lord?" Xena leaned back as if slapped. Gabrielle averted Xena’s scrutiny. "I'm sorry, Gabrielle. I've misunderstood your… intentions toward me."

Gabrielle tried to offer an honorable reason for her denial, one that did not diminish either of them. "In our silence, we both have changed."

"Silence?"

"We haven't spoken of love since you were wounded near Amphipolis."

Xena conceded. "No, we haven't." She was at a complete loss.

Gabrielle waited for the Conqueror's anger. The Conqueror was nowhere to be found in Xena's soul. The woman before her shone with a pure, shattered heart. Gabrielle took advantage of the moment to secure a separation that would save them both.

"It may be best if I leave the palace."

"Leave?" Xena shook her head as if to deflect Gabrielle's words.

"Yes."

"I don't understand."

"It's for the better."

"You don't… I can't believe I've been so blind… so wrong."

Gabrielle did not know how she found the strength, but she captured Xena's gaze and held it with steadfast determination. "Please, let me go."

Xena stood up. Regaining a thread of composure she spoke with a cool, detached voice. "I will instruct Targon to give you a generous stipend."

"I ask for nothing."

"There is nothing I can give you?"

"Your forgiveness."

"The truth does not require forgiveness. I will find another bed until you depart."

Xena walked to the door and paused. She spoke without looking back. "Will I see you before you leave?"

"If you wish."

Xena turned her gaze back to Gabrielle. "I do."

"I promise."

"Thank you."

 

 

Jared entered the Conqueror's suite. "Lass, are you here?"

Gabrielle stepped into the room from the balcony.

"Is it true? Are you leaving Corinth?"

Gabrielle cast her eyes down.

Jared went to her. "Why?" Faced with Gabrielle's silence, Jared threatened. "I will take the palace apart until I get my answer."

Gabrielle looked up in alarm. "No, Jared, please don't."

"Then tell me. I can't help Xena or you if you don't."

Gabrielle put her hand on his arm. "Do for her what you've always done. Be her friend."

"I am your friend, too."

"You can't help me. Not this time."

"I don't understand. What can cause you to leave her now?"

"Xena said she loves me."

Jared was now more confused than ever. "Believe her."

"I do. She asked me to be her Queen."

"Lass…"

"Jared, I cannot be Xena's Queen."

"Haven't the past moons proven to you that you have nothing to fear in Court."

"I don't fear Court."

Jared stepped back. He spoke his thoughts. "What else is there that has kept you apart? You love her. Tell me you don't!"

"It's because I love her that I must leave."

"What manner of love is it that takes you away from her just as she has opened her heart to you?"

"I do not deserve to stand by her side."

Having lost all control of his temper Jared shouted, "Why in the name of Ares not!"

"Because the child I carry is not hers."

Jared was shaken by Gabrielle's revelation. "By the Gods."

"Do you now understand?"

"We feared Inis had lied." Jared spat. "I was too kind to the bastard."

Gabrielle was grateful. "Thank you for not assuming I gave myself to him."

"You must trust Xena and tell her the truth."

Gabrielle set aside Jared's counsel. "Help me leave Corinth. There is nothing left of Poteidaia for me to go back to. I need a safe place, a place that could use the services of a healer."

"Are you determined to leave?"

"I am."

"Then I will make inquires and find you a suitable position."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me, lass. I am now certain to be condemned to Tartarus."

 

 

Xena took residence in the furthest wing from her suite within the palace. Two days passed as Gabrielle made arrangements for her departure. A mist covered the land as the sun rose marking the end of night. Xena sat in a chair by the fireplace of the bedchamber. Her eyes were fixed upon the roaring flames. Gabrielle entered the chamber unannounced. She wore a simple traveling dress. As promised, she came to bid Xena farewell.

"My Lord, I am ready to leave."

Xena stared at the fire. "Gabrielle. Have you ever lied to me?"

"No." Gabrielle rationalized there was no lie in her silence.

"Other than the fact Inis was in Corinth, have you ever kept the truth from me?"

Gabrielle felt trapped. Silence was her answer.

Xena kept her eyes on the flames. "Tell me the truth now. The complete truth. Why are you leaving Corinth?"

Gabrielle drew near until she stood before Xena. She heard Makia's words. She heard Jared's. She felt her own heart's demand. She had a choice, either stand silent or give Xena the only thing Xena had ever asked from her - the truth. "I believe I am with child."

Xena slowly raised her eyes. "Inis?"

"Yes. I have not bled this fortnight as I should have."

"You never gave yourself to him." Xena's words were more a statement than a question.

"No, I did not." Gabrielle needed to affirm her innocence in light of the consequences of her poor judgment.

Xena continued her questions in a calm manner. "Are you sure you're pregnant? He swore he did not take you."

Xena's calmness touched Gabrielle's so that she too spoke evenly. "It's still early, but what other explanation can there be?"

"You were badly hurt. The trauma could have caused a delay in your cycle."

"I wish that were true."

"Gabrielle, why does the fact that you may be with child cause you to leave me?"

"I cannot ask you to raise my child and I will not give my child away."

"And if I offer to accept the child?"

"The child will be a bastard."

Xena leaned forward in her chair. "Not if you allow me the honor of giving the child my birthright."

Gabrielle quirked her head slightly. She struggled to comprehend what Xena offered. The offer affirmed all that Makia and Jared had argued. If was beyond Gabrielle's conception of Xena's love. She fell to her knees at Xena's feet.

Xena dropped to the floor and embraced Gabrielle. "Don't go down on your knees to me."

Gabrielle was consumed in tears. "How can you do this?"

Xena raised Gabrielle's chin with her hand. "Do you love me?"

"Yes!" Gabrielle cried wholeheartedly.

"Then I will ask you once again. Gabrielle of Poteidaia, will you be my Queen?"

 

 

The following evening having completed the final arrangements for a journey to Amphipolis, Xena entered her suite. She found Gabrielle standing on the balcony. She walked behind her and took the younger woman into an embrace. Together they watched the setting sun.

Xena whispered in Gabrielle's ear. "Hello."

Gabrielle leaned back comfortably. "There is a scroll on your desk."

Xena looked over to it. "Who is it from?"

"Me."

Without a further word, Xena gently release Gabrielle and retrieved the scroll. She opened it. The first line was the title, 'My Lord.'

This is the story of a little girl who lived in the village of Poteidaia. The little girl never felt she belonged. She was a dreamer. From her dreams came stories, which she enjoyed telling her sister and her few friends.

Her father was a stern man who showed little affection, was quick to discipline and never spoke of love. Her mother did her best to console the girl, assuring her that love would be hers.

During harvest the girl had been feeling particularly sad. Her mother found her lying in bed, wanting nothing to do with the world. Taking her daughter into her arms, the woman told her the tale of a young peasant girl much like herself who lost her family to illness. One day a fine Lord met the girl on the road to his estate and learned her story. He took pity on her and arranged for her to live with a good family on his lands. From time to time the Lord would visit the girl to ensure her safety and happiness.

The day came when the Lord decided to marry. Everyone from the nearby villages was invited to the celebration. The name of his bride was kept secret. It was rumored that the woman who earned the Lord's love was not equal to his station. It caused bitterness among the Nobles whose daughters the Lord overlooked.

The girl was now a beautiful young woman. She and her adopted family traveled to the Lord's castle. On his wedding day the Lord went to the young woman privately and declared his love. As he spoke she realized she had always loved him but never allowed her heart to speak because she had no hope of ever being his. She accepted his proposal and they married. They both knew happiness. During all the years of their life together, the young woman never forgot her loss or her heart's miraculous capacity to heal and love anew.

The little girl from Poteidaia forgot the story of the orphan and the Lord until the day she came to the city of Corinth as a slave. In Corinth she met her mistress and from that day forward she knew she had met her Lord.

Xena closed the scroll and stepped toward Gabrielle.

Gabrielle turned to her. "From my first days in Corinth I wanted you to be my Lord. I didn't expect you to love me but I hoped you would keep me safe and give me a chance at happiness. Like the girl in the story, I grew to love you. With time I accepted that my life would not be like the girl's. I would never have your love. Even without your love I knew I had your regard and having your regard was enough. You were my happiness."

Xena spoke with a full heart. "So, every time you addressed me as 'My Lord'…"

Gabrielle completed the thought. "I was saying, 'I love you' and praying that in spite of everything that separated us, you would someday love me."

"That day came a long time ago."

Gabrielle approached Xena. She placed her hand over Xena's chest. "You have a great heart. I hope I will always be worthy of it."

"Why give me the scroll now? Why did you wait?"

"Because I needed to believe that you loved me."

"Do you?"

"I believe you love me more than I ever imagined possible."

A tear fell down Gabrielle's cheek. Xena raised her hand and with her thumb stopped its progress.

"Why tears?"

"I bled today. I am not with child."

Xena saw a blending of both sadness and relief in Gabrielle's eyes. "I don't know what to say."

Gabrielle offered a gentle smile. "There isn't anything to say."

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Xena took hold of Gabrielle's hands.

"Be with me tonight as only you can be."

"I am yours, Gabrielle."

Gabrielle turned Xena's hands and placed a kiss upon each palm. "Thank you, My Lord."

THE END

Comments:
Comments always encouraged and appreciated: Mayt@aol.com 

 


Return to The Bard's Corner